Genetic counseling: Offered
Norfolk, VA 23507
2075 Glenn Mitchell Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
757-446-7100
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine to a friend?

7.1

3 Egg Freezing, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Given my age, a single transfer was not really an option. We spoke at length about my willingness to have multiples and I was totally fine with that outcome... [Dr. Stadtmauer] always took the time to talk with me and see how I was feeling along the way. She knew I was single and trying to plan for my future. She wanted to keep me informed but wanted to know me personally as well... I will never forget her kindness and honesty through my twin pregnancy and the singleton that came from those embryos 3 years later.
I felt like the monitoring appointments [at Jones Institute] went very smoothly. The teams were efficient and very private. It took me a day or two to sort out where to go and how the two holding rooms worked. A very kind nurse saw my deer in the headlights look and said, "Let me show you how this works..." To my relief, I never walked in the wrong door and knew what to do from that day forward...My costs ranged a bit from the start to the finish line. I was able to negotiate my fees down with ongoing procedures. I would encourage everyone to speak with your team about fees as they were very willing to work with me. Eset Approach
3 Egg Freezing, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Stadtmauer is a very compassionate person and scientist. She took great pains to make sure that I understood what was going to happen and what she wasn't going to be able to tell me with certainty. I remember her meeting me in recovery after the 2nd egg retrieval that I should think about freezing embryos. I wasn't at that point given my hopes of finding a husband and she was very careful with her suggestion. I have never forgotten that moment and her knowledge that was far beyond what I could manage with every step that unfolded. Years later when I returned to transfer embryos and didn't get pregnant Dr. S made the call. She was the kindest person at that terrible moment and made getting that news as good as possible. She listened to me cry and then pull it together and ask for a plan to start again. She didn't tell me to take my time or think about something else, rather she said we could start again and would get working on our next plan. About 18 months later and after plenty of changes to my expectations and plans -- Dr. Stadtmauer called my out of a huge meeting at work. She said simply -- you are pregnant and I was looking for some numbers around 80-100 and yours are 488. I asked what that meant and she said we will test you again in two days and then schedule an ultrasound. Two weeks later I was on that ultrasound table for a minute or two and Dr. Stadtmauer said beaming, "It's two!" I was stunned, thrilled, and didn't notice that she and the team of nurses and other doctors had left to go into the hall to sign a card congratulating me! I will never forget her kindness and honesty through my twin pregnancy and the singleton that came from those embryos 3 years later.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Be honest with her about your goals and then listen to what she has to say every step of the way. She won't sugar coat things but she will listen and try to find the solutions that will help you along the way. She will be your biggest cheerleader and source of strength when you are most vulnerable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr.Stadtmauer always took the time to talk with me and see how I was feeling along the way. She knew I was single and trying to plan for my future. She wanted to keep me informed but wanted to know me personally as well.
Describe the protocols Laurel Stadtmauer used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
The one thing I remember that made a huge difference ultimately was the use of progesterone shots before and after transfers for 12 weeks.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Valerie)
The entire nursing staff was so upbeat and supportive. I was an early single gal freezing her eggs and they were all very excited for me. I got great information and wonderful care in a crazy whirlwind commuting from another city to make all of this work.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I think Jones Institute is the ideal spot if you want to have a team that will always know you and your case. It never mattered who was on call or in the office -- they all knew my name and had been in discussions about my case. I never felt like a number and was never rushed in or out of an appointment. I found the teams that were charged with our daily changes in medication and treatment during retrieval to be fantastic. I was crazy and they never batted and eye. I got hugs and cheers from the entire surgery bunch with every retrieval and transfer.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I felt like the monitoring appointments went very smoothly. The teams were efficient and very private. It took me a day or two to sort out where to go and how the two holding rooms worked. A very kind nurse saw my deer in the headlights look and said, "Let me show you how this works..." To my relief, I never walked in the wrong door and knew what to do from that day forward.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Describe Laurel Stadtmauer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.

2018 - 2020
Male Factor, Other
We started fertility treatments with Dr. Pakrashi about 7 years after my husband froze sperm due to a second diagnosis of testicular cancer with a second orchiectomy that would leave him sterile. ... This changed a bit when she left the clinic. She did not reach out to let us know, so we were completely blindsided right before starting medication for our FET. We found out through my acupuncturist. It was very disheartening as infertility is already challenging enough to be thrown another setback that could’ve been handled better was completely frustrating.
I feel that the clinic [Jones Institute For Repro Med] is run very effectively and that the staff is kind and helpful. My biggest concern is feeling like there is always more information about my case and general infertility that I don’t know and feel should be offered to us without asking. I wish we were provided more details and reports etc. While the staff is kind and helpful and ask us to reach out with any concerns I find it difficult to get direct contact with those I’m trying to speak with.
2018 - 2020
Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
We started fertility treatments with Dr. Pakrashi about 7 years after my husband froze sperm due to a second diagnosis of testicular cancer with a second orchiectomy that would leave him sterile. Reviewing my health and cycle regularity it looked like we would have a pretty simple IVF case. Her positivity lead us to choose a single cycle with ICSI and PGS. Stimmming went well, 12 eggs were retrieved, 5 made it to day 5. 2 were abnormal, 2 normal, and 1 with no results. Our first FET failed, which seemed unlikely, so we moved forward with an ERA test that found I was prereceptive. I loved that Dr. Pakrashi suggested this sooner rather than waiting for multiple failed transfers. Our second FET also failed to implant. She was very helpful and supportive in deciding to move forward with another FET with the embryo that had no results. Unfortunately the cycle was postponed due to COVID19. Overall, we’ve had a positive experience, but I wish we were provided more details and information without having to ask first. We often feel like they (the clinic as a whole) keep reports simple and if we didn’t ask questions we’d be more lost and confused. We don’t always feel confident in our knowledge, but we’re comforted by Dr. Pakrashi’s openness and willingness to talk us through anything.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Ask questions. You are your own best advocate. Read before you go to appointments and clarify anything that leaves you unsure.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Pakrashi is kind and helpful. She knows more about us then just our medical file, which makes us feel like she is invested. She’s quick to respond and always wants us to know she has not ‘forgotten’ us. This changed a bit when she left the clinic. She did not reach out to let us know, so we were completely blindsided right before starting medication for our FET. We found out through my acupuncturist. It was very disheartening as infertility is already challenging enough to be thrown another setback that could’ve been handled better was completely frustrating.
Describe the protocols Tarita Pakrashi used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
For stimming we used menopur and gonal f. I reacted perfectly to the meds and the clinic was very happy with the 12 eggs retrieved. For the FET cycles I’ve had the protocol has remained the same using estradiol patches, intravginal estradiol pills, and PIO injections. After my first failed FET Dr. Pakrashi suggested an ERA that found me prereceptive; therefore my second FET was adjusted slightly for me to be on PIO injections for 6 days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Olena Smagliy )
The nursing staff is kind and efficient. They’re helpful when we have additional needs and concerns.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I feel that the clinic is run very effectively and that the staff is kind and helpful. My biggest concern is feeling like there is always more information about my case and general infertility that I don’t know and feel should be offered to us without asking. I wish we were provided more details and reports etc. While the staff is kind and helpful and ask us to reach out with any concerns I find it difficult to get direct contact with those I’m trying to speak with.
Describe Tarita Pakrashi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Pakrashi strongly suggested single embryo transfers.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Out of all our appointments only one ultrasound and blood draw was not put on the schedule. The staff still saw me and took care of all my needs. There was also a bit of confusion about my husbands sperm bank, but the staff was very helpful in getting the correct answers for us.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
She [Dr. Bocca] has been incredibly informative. We’ve had 4 miscarriages (one was confirmed ectopic, she suspects two of the others were also ectopic but they resolved themselves) in two years. After the last one in February, she gave us more information than anyone else has. She wasn’t able to 100% pinpoint our issues but I did feel like her thought process made the most sense.
One of my last blood tests [at Jones Inst For Repro Med]I had upwards of six vials taken. ... A week later, a nurse called and said they lost all the blood that they took from me but within 24 hours I had all my results in my portal online. Apparently, the nurse was new and didn’t follow protocol with my vials of blood and as a result of the mishap they were quick to review standard processes with their staff so as not to have a repeat offense. Again, I shared my extreme concerns over losing this stuff and they reassured me that losing client information/results was not something that they took lightly. The office was apologetic and thoroughly explained what happened and how they would prevent it from happening again in the future.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
How was your experience with Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
She has been incredibly informative. We’ve had 4 miscarriages (one was confirmed ectopic, she suspects two of the others were also ectopic but they resolved themselves) in two years. After the last one in February, she gave us more information than anyone else has. She wasn’t able to 100% pinpoint our issues but I did feel like her thought process made the most sense.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Be persistent in your need to be heard. Once you’re on her radar, I do feel like she will be there for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
We started seeking treatment in November, with initial tests and such but it was slow going. In the middle of February we were supposed to have our first big consult meeting with Dr Bocca to discuss a plan and I found out I was pregnant two weeks prior to this meeting (naturally conceived). I already had a history of recurrent losses/ectopic but I felt like as soon as the office heard I was pregnant without their assistance, I was not a priority. I started spotting and had to essentially yell “hey guys! This will be my FOURTH miscarriage in under two years! Please listen!” For them to realize that although I had conceived naturally it wasn’t going to end well and that I needed their help still. After that last miscarriage I feel like the lights went on and they were quick to connect me with Dr Bocca’s team more directly.
Describe the protocols Silvina Bocca used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Our plan was paused due to COVID-19, however her plan was to have me take about 2 weeks of birth control at the start of my cycle. After I will go in for the instructional consult and begin injections preparing myself for egg retrieval. She has given us the option to do genetic testing on our embryos due to our recurrent losses but said we could do an initial fresh transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Heather )
Once I was able to connect with Heather, I felt heard. I did/do feel like it takes some time before they get back to me (up to 48 hours) but once I get the message or phone call back I feel like my concerns are heard and validated.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Their strengths include their staff, to include the appointment desk. On more than one occasion, I have had to speak with the appointment desk in a hurry to try and get to one of the nurses and they were always so kind, compassionate and quick to offer assistance. The nurses, overall, have been kind and compassionate. My only issue is the time it takes them to get back to me. I haven’t started a lot of the time sensitive stuff but I worry that it will carry over and I will be late or unable to complete something, as a result. I have discussed this with one of the coordinators and she has assured me that during the time sensitive periods they are quick and efficient at responding.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
My husband and I work for the same employer. Our insurance is the same and it doesn’t cover anything associated with Infertility treatments. Our initial tests and blood work cost around $1,000. My medication/injections was about $7,100. The procedures associated with egg retrieval and implantation are about $11,000 and the embryo genetic testing is around $900.
Describe Silvina Bocca's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Our facility recommends single embryo transfer. I feel positive about this approach.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
One of my last blood tests I had upwards of six vials taken. I had to rearrange my appointment but did so within an hour of the appointment being made. I went in in the afternoon as opposed to the morning. A week later, a nurse called and said they lost all the blood that they took from me but within 24 hours I had all my results in my portal online. Apparently, the nurse was new and didn’t follow protocol with my vials of blood and as a result of the mishap they were quick to review standard processes with their staff so as not to have a repeat offense. Again, I shared my extreme concerns over losing this stuff and they reassured me that losing client information/results was not something that they took lightly. The office was apologetic and thoroughly explained what happened and how they would prevent it from happening again in the future.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.

2019 - 2020
I really loved Dr. Pakrashi. She has since left the clinic and I cried when she told me she was leaving. I loved that she included Eastern medicine and practices in with the IVF treatment plan. Whenever I had a question or questioned anything, she always took it seriously and answered me. I felt like she was our personal cheerleader, like we were her only patients. She really takes time to get to know you and be there for you.
Strengths: They [Jones Institute] have been doing this for a long time (one of the first IVF clinics in the US) and the doctors are all incredible. Weaknesses: Communication from Front Desk, Billing, and Nurses can be hit or miss. I would recommend getting emails from everyone and I wish they would just give them right off the bat as I found communicating this way was much more easy and effective.
2019 - 2020
Trust her but do not be afraid to voice any questions or fears.
She cared about us as people. She took interest in our lives outside of infertility. She was warm and compassionate and full of passion to help us. I always felt like she gave me the advice she would give herself.
I am 36 with an AMH of .299 with male factor (morphology). Pre-retrieval daily supplement, etc: 88 mg Thyroid pill 75 mg DHEA 600 mg ubiquinol Vit D supplements Plus prenatal and fish oil 1x weekly acupuncture (started two months before retrieval) 1-2x weekly yoga No strenuous workouts one month prior Recommended no coffee or alcohol (I abstained for 2+ months prior to retrieval). I did not eat gluten and dairy for one month prior to my start date. Stim protocol (day three start): 5 days of clomid 150 of menopur 150 of gonal F 4 syringes of ganarelix Pregnyl Trigger They counted 7 follicles and retrieved 6 eggs. 5 fertilized and 2 embryos made it to blast. We have a 4AA and 4CB graded embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lena)
My IVF coordinator was really great when I was able to talk with her. The stress came from being able to get a hold of her. Sometimes it was difficult as she was super busy. I get it, but when you are starting something so scary and new, you want to feel taken care of and sometimes I felt I had to reach out multiple times to get an answer.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: They have been doing this for a long time (one of the first IVF clinics in the US) and the doctors are all incredible. Weaknesses: Communication from Front Desk, Billing, and Nurses can be hit or miss. I would recommend getting emails from everyone and I wish they would just give them right off the bat as I found communicating this way was much more easy and effective.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
We have a high deductible plan so once we hit our deductible, all costs have been covered thus far except for anesthesia.

2019 - 2020
After 3 unsuccessful cycles I had another appointment with the doctor [Dr. Stadtmauer] and she started the consultation with "let's see.... wow, you've been trying for quite a while!". I asked for a new blood panel, since I've been going there for 12 months. Up until then, I didn't even know my AMH level. It felt like she never remembered me.
No staff [at Jones Institute For Repro Med] ever showed any motivation into finding out what was wrong with me. I believe this can be a good clinic for patients with standard infertility problems, such as PCOS or endometriosis. If you have unexplained infertility, you will not get your answers. ... Failed to convey important information: I went 6 months not being informed that my progesterone level was too low.
2019 - 2020
When we first started with Dr. Stadmauer, we started by covering the basics, such as ovulation, uterine lining and sperm count. Unfortunately after 12 months it never progressed from there. After 2 failed IUIs and no explanation to why nothing was working, we never investigated possible diagnosis. Every time that I had an appointment, all we did was to review everything we had done. The doctor listened when I asked to change medication and my monitoring showed that I responded well to the new medication, but at some point one of the fellow doctors said that I was in high risk of having multiples and I believed him. When that didn't happen, nobody cared to try to find out why. I remained under a low dose of Metformin for a whole 12 months. Nobody ever suggested changing it. Under the care of a new doctor I know I have multiple cysts, a possible polyp, and that I should be under a much higher dose of Metformin. Dr. Stadmauer missed all of that.
Jones Institute is a very respectful clinic, but you will probably be successful only if you don't have any underlining conditions, and your problem is easy to resolve. I never met a doctor or fellow doctor at the clinic willing to investigate why I was not getting pregnant after 12 months of treatment.
While I was very well treated when in the office and clinic, once I left, no one followed my case, no one was aware that I have been seeking treatment for quite a while and maybe we should take a different path. In that sense, I was just a number.
When I started treatment, I was put on Metformin because I may or may not have had PCOS. I was asked to do the HSG test, that came back clean. My husband had a semen analysis, which came back as low number. No medication was suggested beside a zync supplement. I went for two IUI cycles with Letrozole. I produced only one follicle with Letrozole, which was what I already produced naturally. No change of medication was suggested until I asked for it. After about 8 months we pressed for answers about the low sperm count and the doctor mentioned Clomid for men. The clinic, even though is a fertility clinic, won't prescribe that for their male patients, so my husband had to go to an Urologist. I produced a much higher number of follicles with Clomid and decided for timed intercourse only. After 3 unsuccessful cycles I had another appointment with the doctor and she started the consultation with "let's see.... wow, you've been trying for quite a while!". I asked for a new blood panel, since I've been going there for 12 months. Up until then, I didn't even know my AMH level. It felt like she never remembered me.
I only ever had any interaction through the patient portal. They would answer my questions sometimes.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
This is a well established clinic, with years of experience. They were always overall flexible and accommodating with my appointments, and the Patient Portal (used by all EVMS facilities) works well. No staff ever showed any motivation into finding out what was wrong with me. I believe this can be a good clinic for patients with standard infertility problems, such as PCOS or endometriosis. If you have unexplained infertility, you will not get your answers.
Ultrasounds are $190 IUI: $250 for he procedure and $255 for sperm wash HSG: about $600-$700 with no insurance
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Provided conflicting information: one nurse told me that I should only take progesterone after IUIs, and a different nurse said it was OK to take it doing timed intercourse. Failed to convey important information: I went 6 months not being informed that my progesterone level was too low. And failed to call in prescription several times. I had to go back to the portal and remind them.

2020
If you are looking for a very intelligent doctor who has lots of experience, she [Dr. Stadtmauer] is it. She diagnosed me in seconds of testing and got right to the details and course. If you don’t want blunt info, she is not for you. She got right to the point, has been down this road with thousands of couples, and had a very scientific way about going things. Not totally nurturing and motherly if you are looking for that. She does know her stuff though!
Overall clinic [Jones Inst for Repro Med] is amazing! They have so much knowledge, everything for the most part is in one building, and they have a reputation. Only negative I have is the communication. I had a hard time getting a hold of someone in my early stages of IUI and for someone new to the game, that was frustrating. Seems like they have figured some of those glitches out but occasionally hard to get a hold of someone.
2020
If you are looking for a very intelligent doctor who has lots of experience, she is it. She diagnosed me in seconds of testing and got right to the details and course. If you don’t want blunt info, she is not for you. She got right to the point, has been down this road with thousands of couples, and had a very scientific way about going things. Not totally nurturing and motherly if you are looking for that. She does know her stuff though!
Make sure you break through the statistics and knowledge she has to show who you are as a human/woman.
She was very blunt but I appreciate that. She saw how emotional I was and did what she could to help the process along. Only reason I didn’t put 100% human because I felt like it was somewhat clinically and not 100% based on me.
I went to this doctor for initial discussion and testing which included pelvic ultrasound, HCG test, and blood work. Then we set up the plan from there.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Heather Houston )
I only had 2 negatives. One was lack of communication. You have to communicate through a portal which ended up being great but in the beginning when I had no idea what was going on, communication was horrible and I had to call and stalk the nurse. Once we got into a grove it was much easier but you have to advocate for yourself. Second was when I had a question about a medication that I wasn’t aware of, I got a short answer on their end. Overall they were amazing but this one time the nurse talked to me like I should know exactly what’s going on. I know she deals with it all day everyday but I had no idea and it was my first time.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Overall clinic is amazing! They have so much knowledge, everything for the most part is in one building, and they have a reputation. Only negative I have is the communication. I had a hard time getting a hold of someone in my early stages of IUI and for someone new to the game, that was frustrating. Seems like they have figured some of those glitches out but occasionally hard to get a hold of someone.
In no fault to them (my insurance) I had to pay out of pocket for my fertility drugs and will have to pay for IVF. Other than that it was covered and I only payed around 20% of the costs
Unknown. Didn’t get that far

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr.Bocca is very warm and seems genuinely concerned about her patients. ... Being over 40 she helped to start treatment right away and to have additional tests scheduled immediately. She always seems to take the time needed for her patients, I’ve never felt rushed or that she is unavailable. ... Started with diagnostic testing with a hysteroscopy and then moved to lertrezol 5mg day 3-7, ultrasound on Day 11 and then trigger shot of ovidrel. I did 4 cycles of this with no pregnancy so have moved to adding Gonal F. Only one cycle of IO with femera and Gonal, waiting to try another before doing IVF
[Jones Inst for Repro Med] So disorganized, it’s difficult to get an appointment with the doctor in a timely manner. When you do need monitoring appointments things are good but otherwise it’s been a struggle. It took me nearly a month and weekly phone calls to have a nurse change my medication to one that was covered by my insurance ... The nursing staff has been very nice but not well organized. You may have to phone many times to have things clarified or amended
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Bocca is a wonderful doctor, she has given me a lot of hope and I feel very well cared for. She always listens to my concerns and always is willing to work to find the right treatment. Being over 40 she helped to start treatment right away and to have additional tests scheduled immediately. She always seems to take the time needed for her patients, I’ve never felt rushed or that she is unavailable.
She will listen to all of your concerns and seems very open to trying to find a way to help.
Dr.Bocca is very warm and seems genuinely concerned about her patients.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I have Tricare so most visits and diagnostics are covered
We have talked about IVF as next steps but haven’t decided the best course of action so far
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Wasn’t able to have a nurse phone me back with no less than 5 phone messages left and have my medication modified.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Bocca ha wonderful bed side manner. She was mostly present during all of ultrasounds. At each visit she would explane everything she saw on the monitor. She went into great detail to make sure I too understand what I was seeing. When test results came back, she explained everything in detail and made sure none of questions went unanswered. ... Mine was your standard protocol from what I remember. Transfer on or around day 15 and the amount of medicine I used was what they give most of the patients. When my treatment had to be changed a little after results of a test I had done showed we transferred the embryo too soon, they brought me in and went through everything step by step to make sure I understood the changes and why they were happening.
This clinic [Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine], although they have a large number of patients, always made me feel like I was the only one being treated. I felt like all the attention I needed was given to me and every question I had was answered. They even had me sit down with the embryologist when I had questions specific to embryo grading. ... I don’t really know of any weeknesses honestly. I never had a problem while I was there. Their strength is definitely communication. Excellent all around. And their bed side manner. From the students in training to the doctors, everyone was experts in their field. ...
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Be open and honest. You don’t know what you don’t know. Dr. Bocca is very kind and will explain everything to you.
This clinic, although they have a large number of patients, always made me feel like I was the only one being treated. I felt like all the attention I needed was given to me and every question I had was answered. They even had me sit down with the embryologist when I had questions specific to embryo grading. My doctor and the entire staff at Jones Institute were fantastic and I felt like family every time I was there.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lena )
Lena was AMAZING! Always available and always so thorough! She helped me above and beyond any nurse I’ve ever known in my life. She felt like my mom or my sister at times because she was just kind with her approach.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I would say all in all it cost be 15K.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Pakrashi is one of the warmest souls you'll meet in one of the toughest situations you'll find yourself in. She enters every room with a smile, repeats your name often in dialogue, which reassures me she's constantly active in your case. She talks about helping families conceive with passion, empathy and compassion.... My experience trying to conceive is from a multi-disciplinary approach, as I have several specialists working together to ensure a safe future pregnancy due to health conditions I live with. She is willing to compromise with other doctors and cater to their concerns as they arise, and the best part is that I have reassurance that none of these small hurdles will interfere with fertility treatments.
Everyone at the clinic [Jones Institute], from the front desk to the doctors are so warm and friendly. I don't see any weaknesses from this practice, even if I haven't received the results I wanted... yet. They give me the confidence and strength that I need each month to keep on....Ultrasounds (if not paid for by insurance) are $190...luckily mine are covered. IUI(self-pay) is $255. I pay $55 for them to wash my husband's frozen sperm along with that. He gave a sample and is storing it in the cryo lab. He gave enough for 6 vials to be stored. For a year of storage, we paid $450. Everything requires payment up front. I was told only with IVF do they offer payment plans.
My experience trying to conceive is from a multi-disciplinary approach, as I have several specialists working together to ensure a safe future pregnancy due to health conditions I live with. She is willing to compromise with other doctors and cater to their concerns as they arise, and the best part is that I have reassurance that none of these small hurdles will interfere with fertility treatments. She puts the patient's health above all and wants the patient to live a fully normal life, unlike many other reproductive endocrinologists who set limit upon limit during the course of your cycle.
Voice your concerns. She is always willing to listen and help out, so there's no need to hide your insecurities, frustrations or concerns.
Dr. Pakrashi is one of the warmest souls you'll meet in one of the toughest situations you'll find yourself in. She enters every room with a smile, repeats your name often in dialogue, which reassures me she's constantly active in your case. She talks about helping families conceive with passion, empathy and compassion. There's nothing more I could ask for in a doctor in this scenario.
On cycle day(CD) 1, I call the office to schedule an ultrasound. On CDs 3-7, I take 5 mg of letrozole. Around CD 12-13, I go in for an ultrasound. Usually it's CD 11-12 for others, but I tend to ovulate later. Based on the ultrasound, I may have to come back if the follicles and lining are not the right size. Otherwise, I will be instructed on taking ovidrel. Twenty four to 36 hours or so later, I will go in for IUI. Two days later, I will start progesterone. Fourteen days after that, I will test at home. If negative, I stop progesterone and call on day 1 to repeat cycle. If positive, I go in for a blood pregnancy test. I'm not sure what happens after that. Letrozole has done wonders for my ovulation ability. I used to not ovulate, but now I'm producing one or two mature follicles, which makes me feel confident I'm going in the right direction.
I've most most, if not all of the nurses and they are all very friendly. Heather responds within a day or two if I send a message through the portal, which is what I look for in any doctor.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Everyone at the clinic, from the front desk to the doctors are so warm and friendly. I don't see any weaknesses from this practice, even if I haven't received the results I wanted... yet. They give me the confidence and strength that I need each month to keep on.

Endometriosis, Male Factor
[Dr. Pakrashi] is so caring. She genuinely wants you to get pregnant and listens to you. As women, we understand our bodies and she listens to all your concerns and adjusts treatment based on response and your input.... We changed protocol completely based on my previous responses. I was worried that I might be resistant to clomid so she suggested a trial run with timed intercourse to see my response before we moved forward.
Always caring and compassionate. They [Jones Institute for Reproductive Med] are rooting for you!... Weaknesses: nurses station could do better with call backs and reading notes. Really the only negative thing I can say. Strengths: nurses have great bed side manner when you are present. Work hard to get you in and out in a timely manner. They do well in relaying messages to the doctors.... IUI $600 IVF range $6500-8000
Endometriosis, Male Factor
There are no weaknesses I can report on. My first doctor, I felt like a number. He didn't deter from treatment protocol based on my response of first IVF to our 2nd. I had seen Dr Pak a few times during the course of my treatments and knew I wanted her to head my 3rd IVF transfer. We changed protocol completely based on my previous responses. I was worried that I might be resistant to clomid so she suggested a trial run with timed intercourse to see my response before we moved forward. She is a great listener. She is compassionate and truly wants what is best for you. She allows you to be an advocate for yourself. She will discuss research and new studies with you. Etc. She encourages you to do your own research and will talk to you about your findings. She is top notch and I am hopeful for this next round.
If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask. If there is something you want to try, don't be afraid to ask. She is warm and inviting.
Dr Pak is so caring. She genuinely wants you to get pregnant and listens to you. As women, we understand our bodies and she listens to all your concerns and adjusts treatment based on response and your input.
We have not started our cycle but did do a clomid test trial and I responded beautifully. I am considered a poor responder and my last 2 IVF I was on max dose. She suggested a clomid/menopur min stimulation. I responded beautifully in our clomid test run, better than my IVFs. We are looking forward to our new protocol and hopeful we will get pregnant.
Always caring and compassionate. They are rooting for you!
IUI $600 IVF range $6500-8000
She lets you decide. But the clinic won't transfer more than 2.

2015 - 2019
Dr. Pakrashi has a wonderful bedside manner and seems to truly care about her patients. She welcomes questions and always answers them in great detail...I bombard her with questions every visit and she is also so patient in answering them no matter how trivial they may seem. I do feel like there could have possibly been tweaks to my treatment plans as we seemed to keep repeating what resulted in negative test after negative test.
Some of the nurses [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] are absolutely amazing. Others make you feel as though you are a burden and an inconvenience...We have had issues with billing. We paid off our IVF cycle and a month later received a bill for over $20,000 with multiple procedures we did not receive. Also, I pay out of pocket due to not having insurance, yet they also tried to bill my insurance company on multiple occasions.
2015 - 2019
If you want a caring compassionate doctor, Dr. Pakrashi is a must. She is warm and welcoming in a world that seem cold and isolating. I bombard her with questions every visit and she is also so patient in answering them no matter how trivial they may seem. I do feel like there could have possibly been tweaks to my treatment plans as we seemed to keep repeating what resulted in negative test after negative test.
As amazing as she is, you won’t always see her and you may be disappointed with some of the nurses and doctors in the practice.
1) Timed intercourse with Letrozole. 2) IUI with Gonal F and Ovidrel (3 cycles) 3) IVF - gonal f, menepour, progesterone, trigger shot
Some of the nurses are absolutely amazing. Others make you feel as though you are a burden and an inconvenience.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: multiple locations, compassionate doctors. Weakness: You are not guaranteed to see a specific dr during your treatment and during my IVF cycle I only saw my dr once. Some of the nursing staff can be abrupt. Lack of communication between the business and medical side.
Monitoring appointments were always scheduled in the morning and wait time was on average 30 min - 60 min.
Our IVF cycle was approximately $19,000 including medications (not bought through clinic).

Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
immediately felt uplifted to be under her [Dr. Bocca's] care. She has a wonderful bed side manner and she is compassionate, yet professional. She explains everything in detail in regards to my care. She encourages you to ask questions and takes her time answering them. I have never left the appointment with any unanswered questions...She explained the lab tests that she was ordering and what results she would be looking for in those tests. She had changed my fertility medication from Clomid to Letrozole and explained in detail that the Letrozole would encourage a thicker uterine lining.
The nursing staff [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] have always been very friendly, empathetic, and extremely professional. They are always eager to answer any of your questions and concerns. They have always made me feel comfortable and I truly feel like they are the Patient's Advocate... I have called many times with questions and the front desk was always happy to help me. The clinic is always very clean. The waiting area is spacious with comfortable couches and chairs with a TV playing HGTV which we know everyone enjoys, a nice distraction while you wait for your appointment.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
My initial consultation appointment with Dr. Bocca was in August 2018. Before meeting Dr. Bocca, I had felt discouraged. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 4 years (now going on 5 years) with a history of an ectopic pregnancy that resulted in emergency surgery which later resulted in losing my right fallopian tube. We had also had a biochemical pregnancy while I was on Clomid prescribed by my OBGYN. I was on Clomid for 3 months. After those 3 months, we finally made the decision to schedule an appointment with Dr. Bocca. At the consultation, Dr. Bocca was very friendly, professional, and explained everything in detail. She answered all of our questions and concerns. She explained the lab tests that she was ordering and what results she would be looking for in those tests. She had changed my fertility medication from Clomid to Letrozole and explained in detail that the Letrozole would encourage a thicker uterine lining. She explained that Letrozole would be a better option because of my fibroid history. She also addressed a plan of action on getting a sperm analysis for my husband to rule out male factor infertility. Dr. Bocca recommended IUI for our next plan of action. She gave clear written instructions on the steps for my next upcoming ovulation cycle i.e. making appointments, taking medications, trigger injections. After leaving that first consultation appointment with Dr. Bocca, I felt encouraged and hopeful which I hadn't felt that way in years. My husband and I decided to do our first round with timed intercourse which resulted in a negative pregnancy. After that we proceeded with Dr. Bocca's recommendation of IUI. We have done 2 IUIs so far. My second IUI resulted in another biochemical pregnancy. After my failed IUIs, I had another appointment with Dr.Bocca to discuss the next plan of action. During that appointment, she was very compassionate and was aware that I was feeling grief. She explained to me my blood work results that was done days prior to the appointment. She had explained that it would be beneficial to have a Hysteroscopy to investigate the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries. Along with the Hysteroscopy, she recommended that IVF is our next plan of action. While that was tough news to hear, she delivered that information in a compassionate and gentle manner. She made sure to take the time to answer any of my questions or concerns during that appointment. I am currently scheduled for the Hysteroscopy for next week.
I would tell the prospective patient of Dr. Bocca to trust the process. It may be a long road ahead, but under her care you will get the answers that you have been searching for. Always ask questions, share your concerns, and remain hopeful. This is Dr. Bocca's profession and she will leave no rock unturned.
Upon first meeting Dr. Bocca at my consultation appointment back in August 2018, I immediately felt uplifted to be under her care. She has a wonderful bed side manner and she is compassionate, yet professional. She explains everything in detail in regards to my care. She encourages you to ask questions and takes her time answering them. I have never left the appointment with any unanswered questions.
She had changed my fertility medication from Clomid to Letrozole and explained in detail that the Letrozole would encourage a thicker uterine lining. She explained that Letrozole would be a better option because of my fibroid history. She also addressed a plan of action on getting a sperm analysis for my husband to rule out male factor infertility. Dr. Bocca recommended IUI for our next plan of action. She gave clear written instructions on the steps for my next upcoming ovulation cycle. I was instructed to call on cycle day 1 to make an appointment for an ultrasound around cycle day 10. I was also prescribed Letrozole 5mg and to take on cycle day 3 through cycle day 7. On cycle day 10, I would go in for an ultrasound to look at the thickness of the uterine lining and to look at the size of the follicles. If the uterine lining and follicles weren't measuring at certain size , the office would schedule another ultrasound two days later to look at the progress. After the ultrasound, if the uterine lining was thick enough and the follicle growth was at the recommended size; They gave me very clear written timed instructions with the "trigger" Injection which was Ovidrel 0.5mg. She explained that this would trigger the ovaries to release the follicles. Then, I would scheduled an appointment for the IUI. The IUI was performed quickly and easily.During the IUI, the doctor would explain every step that was occurring. After the IUI was performed, I was instructed to lay flat for fifteen minutes after the IUI. Afterwards, I was given clear written instructions to start taking Progesterone 50 mg suppositories at bedtime for 14 days due to low levels of progesterone and the date to take an at home pregnancy test. If the pregnancy test was negative, I was instructed to stop taking the Progesterone. If the pregnancy test was positive, I was to call the office to schedule a BETA lab (Blood work to confirm pregnancy). Sadly, after my second IUI, I had a biochemical pregnancy. After my failed IUIs, I had another appointment with Dr.Bocca to discuss the next plan of action. During that appointment, she was very compassionate and was aware that I was feeling grief. She explained to me my blood work results that was done days prior to the appointment. She had explained that it would be beneficial to have a Hysteroscopy to investigate the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries. Along with the Hysteroscopy, she recommended that IVF is our next plan of action. While that was tough news to hear, she delivered that information in a compassionate and gentle manner. She made sure to take the time to answer any of my questions or concerns during that appointment. I am currently scheduled for the Hysteroscopy for next week.
The nursing staff have always been very friendly, empathetic, and extremely professional. They are always eager to answer any of your questions and concerns. They have always made me feel comfortable and I truly feel like they are the Patient's Advocate.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic and the staff are always very friendly and greet you with a smile. The front desk checks you in immediately and for the most part, I have been seen by the Nurse or Doctor by my appointment time (which is unheard of at doctor offices). If you have any questions, they are always willing to give you the answer or find out the answer. I have called many times with questions and the front desk was always happy to help me. The clinic is always very clean. The waiting area is spacious with comfortable couches and chairs with a TV playing HGTV which we know everyone enjoys, a nice distraction while you wait for your appointment.
The test that were associated with my care included: Basic semen analysis-$110.00 Day 3 bloodwork (FSH,LH,E2)-$250.00 in house, **Labcorp-$380.00 Cycle Day Ultrasound-$190.00 (done several times, insurance has been covering some costs of the ultrasounds). Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) with Sperm wash-$255.00 (IUI), $240.00 (sperm wash) **Have done this twice** Semen/Sperm Cryopreservation- $450.00 with $35.00 process with IUI preparation. Medications: Ovidrel Injection-$ 175.00 **Have filled prescription 3 times** Progeresterone suppositories (14 day supply) - $20.00 **Have filled prescription 3 times** Letrozole 5mg (cycle day 3-cycle 7)-$20.00 **Have filled prescription 3 times** An estimation of my current costs are between $3,000.00 to $4,000.00 as of 2/12/2019.
+ Read more- Read less

Be aware she [Dr. Bocca] does not do the procedures...She only did consultations and another doctor did the procedures. This did not bother me because the two doctors always spoke with each other and knew each patient...We started with IUI with letrozole...Second IUI I asked to increase letrozole and dr. Bocca agreed...is very kind. She explained things to us in great detail including her own pictures and drawings! No matter how many times I asked her questions she answered kindly.
I had a different nurse each time I went in the office [at Jones Institute]. Some were wonderful and some were normal. I did not have a bad experience with any of the Nurses...When we decided to move forward with IVF it was November. My next cycle would be December but they close for 2 weeks for cleaning the lab that month...We were suppose to receive a call regarding IVF guidelines and schedule. We never received the call. We ended up moving out of state January so we are no longer with this clinic.. however if we were we would still be waiting for the IVF call (4 months later).
Dr. Bocca is very knowledgeable in her job. She brings out articles, pictures, and diagrams to explain things to her patients. She only did consultations and another doctor did the procedures. This did not bother me because the two doctors always spoke with each other and knew each patient.
Be aware she does not do the procedures.
Dr. Bocca is very kind. She explained things to us in great detail including her own pictures and drawings! No matter how many times I asked her questions she answered kindly.
We started with IUI with letrozole. Took letrozole days 3-7 of cycle and then ultrasound day 11-14 (I think) to see if follicles growing. No blood work in between for hormone levels. Second IUI I asked to increase letrozole and dr. Bocca agreed. Same timing with ultrasound and then IUI the next day or 2 depending on your follicle growth.
I had a different nurse each time I went in the office. Some were wonderful and some were normal. I did not have a bad experience with any of the Nurses.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The front desk staff is amazing and very helpful. The nurses are neutral. Dr. Bocca is wonderful and very knowledgeable. The clinic is very open to letting you visit and of the 3 locations so you can get seen sooner if needed.
We did 2 IUI’s and paid around $1200
Dr. Bocca recommended 1 transfer. The max they will do is 2. She ultimately left the choice up to us as the patient.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
When we decided to move forward with IVF it was November. My next cycle would be December but they close for 2 weeks for cleaning the lab that month. So we had to wait until January. We were suppose to receive a call regarding IVF guidelines and schedule. We never received the call. We ended up moving out of state January so we are no longer with this clinic.. however if we were we would still be waiting for the IVF call (4 months later).
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Stadtmauer is very knowledge however when first meeting her, she was very hard to read and it was a little hard to keep the conversation going. She’s very question/answer not elaborative. I found that it was best to write down my questions when meeting with her regarding treatment and next steps...We were identified as unexplained, therefore, the game plan was to just try IUIs with femara, ovidrel and then follow up with progesterone. We did this three times under the treatment of Stadtmauer which resulted in no positive pregancies.
This practice [Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] sees so many patients every single day & you can feel and see that in how they communicate and execute your treatment. Although there is very little to no warm and cozy feeling - these doctors know their stuff...I was prescribed two different progesterone medications which included peanut oil. I have a severe allergy to peanuts which I made the clinic very aware of...although you have multiple professionals looking at your specific case, they don’t know or remember if you have specific needs because they haven’t been your primary care doctor the whole time.
Write down everything that comes to mind and go into her office with it. It’s easy to get overwhelmed with all of the information and you can go down one trail of discussion and completely forget to get it all out before leaving the office.
This practice sees so many patients every single day & you can feel and see that in how they communicate and execute your treatment. Although there is very little to no warm and cozy feeling - these doctors know their stuff.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
There are so many doctors here and although that’s great, sometimes everything feels less personable because you might not see your specific doctor each visit. I also feel like that’s a good and bad thing because although you have multiple professionals looking at your specific case, they don’t know or remember if you have specific needs because they haven’t been your primary care doctor the whole time. The office is clean, professional and the doctors themselves are extremely smart, however, there is no sugar coating or hand holding.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Pakrashi is very compassionate and obviously cares for her patients and their outcomes. She listens and is very personal. She completes follow through by personally calling me to inquire how I'm feeling and be sure I understand the next step in the IVF process. ... Dr Pakrashi listened, showed empathy and gave us hope. ... Heartbroken, but wanting to give it one last attempt to complete our family we looked into IVF with gender selection
Strengths in this clinic [Jones Institute for Repro Med] is seen in the team of doctors and their knowledge. ... We could only financially do 1 IVF cycle, unfortunately there was not a normal female embryo for FET. Dr Pakrashi and the embryologist personally called to speak with us about our results in detail. ... The portal used by the office makes it easy to reach out and ask questions with responses in a timely manner.
Dr Pakrashi is very compassionate and obviously cares for her patients and their outcomes. She listens and is very personal. She completes follow through by personally calling me to inquire how I'm feeling and be sure I understand the next step in the IVF process. Our situation is unique in that prior to IVF we had 2 pregnancy losses. After that we used clomid and had our daughter in 2013. Wanting 1 more child and a sibling for our daughter, we tried to conceive again. Sadly we went on to have three pregnancy losses over the next 3-4 years, all three males diagnosed with arthrogryposis. Test after test left us with no reasoning why the reoccurrence happened. Heartbroken, but wanting to give it one last attempt to complete our family we looked into IVF with gender selection. Through many years of genetic counseling we thought if we could choose a female embryo that we could finally complete the family we have dreamed for (and stop the gut wrenching pain of recurrent loss). Dr Pakrashi listened, showed empathy and gave us hope. We could only financially do 1 IVF cycle, unfortunately there was not a normal female embryo for FET. Dr Pakrashi and the embryologist personally called to speak with us about our results in detail.
IVF was new for us. I thought I had read everything before I went in for the consultation and would remember what to ask. I would advise a prospective patient to bring your questions written down and have a notebook to take notes.
She is kind, warm hearted, personal, and provides quick responses and follow through. She calls you personally and stays in touch.
Menopur 150 morning and night Gonal F 300 units morning and night Cetrotide 0.25 mg x2 doses Lupron 40 units x 2 doses Started day 3 of menstrual cycle 13 eggs retrieved, 9 fertilized, 6 biopsied, 2 females, 4 males. No viable embryo for FET.
Lena was kind and on top of things. She went out of her way to make sure I understood everything. She was very personal and eager to help.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths in this clinic is seen in the team of doctors and their knowledge. The portal used by the office makes it easy to reach out and ask questions with responses in a timely manner. I would have liked more explanations into the way they choose what medications/protocols. However, I don't know that this would have changed our outcome.
$6750- Medications $400- Anesthesia $13,600- IVF circle with FET $600- Pre IVF testing All because our insurance doesn't cover any portion of IVF.
We only wanted to electively transfer 1 single female embryo. Dr Pakrashi agreed with us.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Stadtmauer is very clinical in her approach to patient care - I would say limited on the warm and fuzzies - but you can tell she has compassion and empathy for her patients. And she is very, very knowledgable about fertility issues and felt like she never spoke down to me or was short with me when I asked a hundred questions.... she's not the hand-holding, warm and fuzzy type of doctor. But I did not need that at all since this was my third cycle and I felt pretty good about what to expect at that point.
Strengths - very smart, patiently answers all questions, is direct and no-nonsense and explains everything very well. Weaknesses - she's not the hand-holding, warm and fuzzy type of doctor. But I did not need that at all since this was my third cycle and I felt pretty good about what to expect at that point.
She's no nonsense.
The nursing staff were very warm. They take the time to answer all your questions and they are incredibly responsive via the portal. Same day, if not within hours, usually!
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Jones' strength is that they are part of a Medical School, so a few times I had students in the room during appointments and some procedures. The Doctor will ask you first if you are comfortable with the student in the room. I liked that Jones is part of a Medical School because I felt like they would be at the cutting-edge of research. They are also doing studies at the clinic, and I would have participated if I qualified because I wanted to help study fertility (and also get some discounts!). I loved that there was a team of doctor's so I never had to worry about my doctor being sick the day of a transfer or retrieval (this is the stuff you worry about at a solo-doctor clinic after you spend tens of thousands on a drug protocol for the weeks leading up to "the big day".) I also liked how there was more than one doctor looking at my case because you get more expertise weighing in. Weakness would be the clinical setting if you want a super sensitive, hand-holding experience.
We qualified for a "buy two cycles, get your third for free - or receive half your money back" program and that put my mind at ease!
I only had one embryo to use so this does not apply.

Male Factor, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. O [Oehninger] has a long history of success in the field, and decades of experience which began working directly under the doctor who pioneered IVF in the US. He excells at giving informed, detailed comparisons between different established treatment options.... Between attempts, he was very hands-off. We had to initiate the next step on our own when some encouragement would have been helpful. When we had consultations to determine the next course of actions, he didn't always seem as familiar with our treatment history as I would have liked.
The clinic [Jones Institute] has been doing this longer than any other in the country. Framed photos of annual Mother's Day picnics with families the clinic has assisted are inspiring at first, but more painful to see after years without success.... Payment was easy, and the clinic-provided installment billing plan for big-ticket fertility treatment was helpful... Unfortunately the clinic insists on useing a "Patient Portal" system which is a gatekeeper to communication with doctors and nurses. The only effective way to communicate in real time is in person at an appointment. T
Male Factor, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. O has a long history of success in the field, and decades of experience which began working directly under the doctor who pioneered IVF in the US. He excells at giving informed, detailed comparisons between different established treatment options. Our discussions led us first to try 4 rounds of IUI, the first 3 each leading to a very early miscarriage, and the last failing to develop a viable egg. Between attempts, he was very hands-off. We had to initiate the next step on our own when some encouragement would have been helpful. When we had consultations to determine the next course of actions, he didn't always seem as familiar with our treatment history as I would have liked. After the unsuccessful IUIs, we asked again about the clinic's donor embryo program which had been briefly discussed in our first visit, and decided it was the next best step. After being matched with a frozen embryo suprisingly quickly and completing other prequisites of the program, Dr. O implanted the one embryo which survived the thaw. The first couple weeks of pregnancy progressed normally, but after some minor bleeding we were brought in for an early ultrasound and the dosage of progesterone injections was doubled as a precaution. However, there was additional bleeding and discharge a couple weeks later, and another ultrasound showed the pregnancy was lost. At that point, Dr. O was careful not to give us any false hope as we scheduled addtional follow-ups. However, he did not prepare us for the extremely unpleasant and painful side effects of the medications to induce completion of the miscarriage. That experience culminated in a 2am emergency room visit, narcotics to manage the pain, and another ultrasound the next morning when the clinic was open. After this last visit, Dr. O retired and we expect to be transferred to one of his colleagues, most of whom we met at one point or another.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Not applicable since he is now retired.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. O was friendly and offered encouragment when the facts and odds supported it. He also kept a professional distance, but some difficult news was relayed in an abrupt manner which made it more difficult to hear.
Describe the protocols Sergio Oehninger used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We tried 4 rounds of IUI, the first 3 each leading to a very early miscarriage, and the last failing to develop a viable egg. Since my wife has never had regular cycles, medication was needed to trigger it each time. Each time there were one or two visits to ultrasound the ovaries and measure follicles before a viable one was identified and our IUI was scheduled. Semen analysis showed slightly low count each time but good motility. Every completed IUI let to a positive home pregnancy test, followed within days by a negative test. Due to the repeated failures of IUI, we decided that implanting a donated embryo was the next best option. After being matched with a frozen embryo suprisingly quickly and completing other prequisites of the program, Dr. O implanted the one embryo which survived the thaw. The first couple weeks of pregnancy progressed normally, but after some minor bleeding we were brought in for an early ultrasound and the dosage of progesterone injections was doubled as a precaution. However, there was additional bleeding and discharge a couple weeks later, and another ultrasound showed the pregnancy was lost. At that point, Dr. O was careful not to give us any false hope as we scheduled addtional follow-ups. However, he did not prepare us for the extremely unpleasant and painful side effects of the medications to induce completion of the miscarriage. That experience culminated in a 2am emergency room visit, narcotics to manage the pain, and another ultrasound the next morning when the clinic was open. After this last visit, Dr. O retired and we expect to be transferred to one of his colleagues, most of whom we met at one point or another.
Almost the entire nursing staff was very friendly, professional, and helpful in person. Their ability to draw blood from a patient with hard-to-find veins (my wife) varied significantly. Blood was drawn at every check-up, and I don't think they got her on the first try more than once or twice out of dozens of visits. Often it took 3 or 4 tries, and switching to less common and more painful areas. One nurse, who unfortunately managed most of our phone and internet communication with the rest of the staff, was much less helpful than anyone else on the staff. Numerous times our messages were relayed with significant delay as well as inaccurately with regard to tone or even content. We dreaded communicating through the clinic's phone or internet "portal" for this specific reason, and feared any complaint would lead to even worse service from the same nurse. Several times I suggested switching our next treatment to different clinic, even though we were quite happy with almost everything else at this one, specifically because of this nurse and the "portal" communication system. Managing prescriptions from local pharmacies was nightmare, due to convoluted preauthorization rules and documents to be routed back through clinic bureaucracy (combined with the fact the insurance covered almost nothing yet they kept trying to get approval). This often delays which sometimes came close to impacting treatment. However, Mandell's mail-order pharmacy (mostly for injections) was incredibly accomodating and easy to work with, aside from the unavoidable requirement to be home when the medicine was delivered.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic has been doing this longer than any other in the country. Framed photos of annual Mother's Day picnics with families the clinic has assisted are inspiring at first, but more painful to see after years without success. But the clinic also partners with Operation Hope/RESOLVE, and connecting to that organization was helpful in finding support and dealing with the heartbreak. Many prescriptions from the clinic get routed and rerouted through a lot of unnecessary bureaucracy. As with every other medical estabilishment we've dealt with, bills and insurance decisions are incomprehensible. Payment was easy, and the clinic-provided installment billing plan for big-ticket fertility treatment was helpful (half up front, rest spread over 6 months with no interest) although there was a glitch with the automatic payment system. Unfortunately the clinic insists on useing a "Patient Portal" system which is a gatekeeper to communication with doctors and nurses. The only effective way to communicate in real time is in person at an appointment. The "portal" system was consistenly an obstruction to communication and care. Eventually we learned what almost everything was routed through one specific nurse assigned to our doctor, and we believe much of the problem was with that individual, but the system itself was flawed in theory and practice. We are hopeful that since our doctor has now retired, we may have a different gatekeeper nurse when we begin treatment with a new doctor.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Roughly $15,000 for 4 IUI attempts, donor embryo program and transfer, medication, and associated tests.
Describe Sergio Oehninger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
We were very confused by apparently conflicting information about the number of frozen donated embroys available to us for implantation, and how many survived which stages of the process. This was eventually mostly cleared up, but it took several discussions with different people. However, the clinic policy of not allowing more than two embryos to be implanted was always clear.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
On a couple occasions were were told to expect a call with test results by a specific time, but did not get it until the next day or until we asked. During the embryo thaw process, we got initially got conflicting information about how many embroys survived, but this was eventually cleared up when we asked and got more detail about the different stages of the thawing and preparation process. At 7 weeks with an implanted embryo, my wife had a suspected miscarriage in the middle of week of vacation in a foreign country. We sent a very detailed description of events and request for guidance to the clinic via the internet based patient portal system, explaining our concerns with the cost and potential outcomes of uninsured medical treatment in a foreign country with a language barrier. We got a response from the nurse through the "patient portal" system telling us to go to an emergency room with no attempt made to address our specific concerns. Because we did not feel that our situation was adequately considered but had no other way to communicate with competent staff at the clinic, we made a very difficult decision do go against this advice and wait until we returned home to address the issue with a visit to the clinic.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.

I feel that because we were diagnosed with male factor infertility and needing donor sperm, and nothing was super obviously wrong with me, he [Dr. Oehninger] brushed us off as an easy case....When we had our last meeting before going in for our sixth and final IUI, Dr. O seemed to brush off any of my concerns and requests doe further testing on me to see if there was anything that we could address easily before the next go. It wasn't until after I stopped going to Dr. O that we discovered my blood pressure was significantly above normal range and that my T4 levels were way off normal range, as well.
This is a big, productive group. They [Jones - Norfolk] produce results for lots of people but they are by no means perfect. Prepare yourself for appointments, advocate and research on your own behalf, and don't get too worked up when they make mistakes or goof up small things.... Sometimes in the hustle and bustle of the clinic, I feel they miss some critical details in patient files.... [Cost Of Treatment] $250/IUI plus drug costs
We we're diagnosed through Dr. O and Dr. Brough with azoospermia/male factor infertility. Upon receiving that diagnosis, my husband and I took break for several months before jumping in to treatment. When we ordered our donor sperm and got started with treatment, I don't think my file was reevaluated or not. We jumped right in to three natural IUI cycles , the first of which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. After that, we did two more cycles with letrozole and trigger. Every time I went for ultrasounds, everything looked great. When we had our last meeting before going in for our sixth and final IUI, Dr. O seemed to brush off any of my concerns and requests doe further testing on me to see if there was anything that we could address easily before the next go. It wasn't until after I stopped going to Dr. O that we discovered my blood pressure was significantly above normal range and that my T4 levels were way off normal range, as well. We are happy with our new doctor and wish Dr. O all of the best, but he was not the right fit for us.
Ask questions. ALWAYS. Ask for copies of all of your test results and research on your end that you are within normal ranges.
I feel that because we were diagnosed with male factor infertility and needing donor sperm, and nothing was super obviously wrong with me, he brushed us off as an easy case.
3 natural IUI cycles with donor sperm with monitoring on day 12. (The first of those three resulted in a chemical pregnancy) 2 donor sperm IUI cycles with 5 days of letrozole 5mg per day, trigger shot, and 10 days of progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
The nursing staff there is great.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
This is a big, productive group. They produce results for lots of people but they are by no means perfect. Prepare yourself for appointments, advocate and research on your own behalf, and don't get too worked up when they make mistakes or goof up small things.
$250/IUI plus drug costs

Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Other
Dr. Bocca clearly loves what she does. I appreciate how much care she put into taking over my file after I stopped going to another doctor. She carefully reviewed my file and articulated next steps in a way that both my husband and I felt comfortable with. We are diagnosed with male factor infertility and we both felt that with our other doctor, my husband was cut completely out of the discussion but doctor Bocca is great about including both of us.
They [Jones Inst for Repro Med] have lots of success and lots of patients. I didn't learn early on just how much you have to advocate for yourself, ask questions and if you need to, be a thorn in their side until you get the answers or attention you feel you deserve.... $250 per IUI, plus the cost if the sperm and medication. I've gotten quotes for IVF with ICSI at $12,000ish.... When you are using donor sperm, it sucks to have a nurse at the clinic ask your husband for his sample.
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Other
Come with questions and a notepad. She's great!
I first worked with another doctor prior to seeing Dr. Bocca. The differences between the two in their bedside manner is astounding. You can tell she actually cares about her patients and their partners and truly wants the best for them. She explained thoroughly why she wanted to explore a certain protocol and was open to answering questions, no matter how long it took, rather than casually brushing them off as me being a worrywart who Google's too much.
We did five donor sperm IUI cycles with another doctor. Three natural and two with letrozole and trigger shot, and progesterone. After Dr Bocca took over my file, she thought it'd be helpful to do a hysteroscopy. In that procedure, she found and removed a few uterine polyps, we will be pursuing a sixth IUI cycle with letrozole and gonal f, trigger shot and progesterone.
They are great!
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
They have lots of success and lots of patients. I didn't learn early on just how much you have to advocate for yourself, ask questions and if you need to, be a thorn in their side until you get the answers or attention you feel you deserve.
N/A.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Oehninger answered all questions that I had for him. During my stimulation cycle at appointments where I saw him quickly for an ultrasound there were always other doctors in the room and he let them take the lead and explain to me although it seemed he was the one making the decisions. When it was one on one during the consultation I felt that this Dr. was more personable and shared his experience and expertise with me regarding what I should do next.
This clinic's strengths are they [Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine] have a well known rate of pregnancies dated back many years. The Dr.'s all work together and make decisions daily together about the patients. I never had trouble getting an appointment and all messages sent through the patient portal were always received and responded to in a timely manner.... Dr. Oehninger answered all questions that I had for him.
He has a quiet and serious demeanor. If you have questions ask them
At first he said very little the few times that I saw him during my stimulation appointments. I currently met with him again for a consultation to discuss my future protocol and get his advice and he was very helpful. He looked at and explained many of the results from my first failed transfer. He told me what we would do differently next time and was able to give me his expertise on some concerns that I had about cysts they found last time. He also had research to back up this expertise.
During my IVF cycle I took Follistim, menopur and ganirelix. After the transfer I was on progesterone oil injections and estrogen patches. During this cycle they found that I have 2 endometrioma cysts. This protocol resulted in 5 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized and 2 being transferred.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic's strengths are they have a well known rate of pregnancies dated back many years. The Dr.'s all work together and make decisions daily together about the patients. I never had trouble getting an appointment and all messages sent through the patient portal were always received and responded to in a timely manner.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Oehninger is a very competent physician. We initially liked him because of his bluntness about the procedures and statistical chances of having a child. As days went past during our cycle, it seemed as if we heard less and less from him. He was not available in at least two of our ultrasounds, which to us was a very important time to speak to us....Dr Oehninger was not there for our egg retrieval which was very disappointing.
The clinic [Jones] is generally quick to get a new patient in. It is likely due to that process that patients are not coddled. It is very straight forward. In and out during ultrasound and bloodwork visits. The nursing staff was very nice and accommodating during our retrieval and transfer appointments...The institute scheduled our cycle based on the number of people entering the clinic. All of our scheduled appointments were set up to maximize the number of patients per day.
Dr. Oehninger is a very competent physician. We initially liked him because of his bluntness about the procedures and statistical chances of having a child. As days went past during our cycle, it seemed as if we heard less and less from him. He was not available in at least two of our ultrasounds, which to us was a very important time to speak to us. The other physicians conducting the ultrasound screening were not up to date with our progress. Dr Oehninger was not there for our egg retrieval which was very disappointing.
Don't expect coddling. He is very thorough in procedural explanation but definitely do research and ask questions.
The Jones Institute is obviously a very reputable clinic. That is the main reason my wife and I chose it. The institute scheduled our cycle based on the number of people entering the clinic. All of our scheduled appointments were set up to maximize the number of patients per day. It is for this reason that I feel we did not get the attention we wanted. It just seemed like we were another customer just running through the line.
We used an antagonistic approach
The nursing staff was very nice. There did not seem to be much communication between the nurses and between the nurses and doctors.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is generally quick to get a new patient in. It is likely due to that process that patients are not coddled. It is very straight forward. In and out during ultrasound and bloodwork visits. The nursing staff was very nice and accommodating during our retrieval and transfer appointments. We only had 3 eggs with one mature which had a failed transfer. Our retrieval procedure time was very short. Aspirations took under half an hour. All indications pre retrieval, showed we had at least 8 eggs. After speaking with another clinic, they informed us that their retrieval was much more thorough. It is for this reason we believe we had a failed cycle.
We went with a single cycle option. There was an available shared risk program that was double for a single cycle.
Multiple embryo transfer was explained to us. The Jones institute protocol was to transfer up to two embryos only.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
We believe there was a procedural error during our retrieval. The retrieval process was extremely short. After speaking with another clinic, they informed us of the importance of taking time during retrieval.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Bocca has been helpful providing guidance regarding my diagnosis and recommendations for treatment. She has also been honest about the success of certain treatments. I was a little deterred from seeing her again as during our second conversation she initially only recommended an egg donor due to my diagnosis, but after another face-to-face appointment where my spouse was also present, she discussed the diagnosis a little further and what other options might be available.
The clinic [Jones Institute] is great about communication especially through the patient portal. I did call the on-call line and did not receive a call back which was a little concerning, but it was not an emergency so it wasn't a huge issue. I was calling because I got my period on a weekend and needed to schedule an appointment for the following Monday morning. I also showed up once for an appointment that they said they did not have on their schedule. They had provided me with an appointment slip confirming the appointment. They were still able to see me I just had to wait. I have had to wait over an hour on a couple occasions.
I would definitely schedule regular appointments with her (perhaps monthly) to check-in and determine next steps for treatment. Ask questions and educate yourself on the options that she presents.
I feel Dr. Bocca is compassionate and empathetic. I do not feel rushed with Dr. Bocca and she answers my questions very thoroughly.
We wanted to try an initial protocol to try to conceive through timed intercourse as the least aggressive/invasive option. She recommend ovulation induction with a trigger shot and progesterone suppositories. The medication that we used for induction was gonal-f, which is an injectable. We are currently on our second month of treatment. If this cycle is not successful, she has recommended that we attempt IVF on the next few months to determine the quality of my eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Shannon and Heather )
The nurses who I have been communicating over the patient portal, Shannon and Heather, have been extremely helpful. They answer questions very quickly.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is great about communication especially through the patient portal. I did call the on-call line and did not receive a call back which was a little concerning, but it was not an emergency so it wasn't a huge issue. I was calling because I got my period on a weekend and needed to schedule an appointment for the following Monday morning. I also showed up once for an appointment that they said they did not have on their schedule. They had provided me with an appointment slip confirming the appointment. They were still able to see me I just had to wait. I have had to wait over an hour on a couple occasions.
Two months of injections with timed intercourse have cost us over $4000.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
I had done initial bloodwork and had gotten results back. Based on the information provided, I didn't see any huge issues so I didn't follow-up with the clinic and didn't hear anything from the doctor. About one week later (at least) I did the HSG test which was also normal. After this test I was confused about what to do next as I had completed all the initial testing (including an ultrasound). I was sensing that I might be diagnosed as "unexplained infertility" because there were not any issues I was aware of. I messaged the nurse in the patient portal to determine next steps, and she said the doctor would call me. Luckily, the doctor called almost immediately after that message and reported that there were concerns with my bloodwork (done almost two weeks prior) especially related to my FSH levels. I would not have known this number was high just looking at it myself. I was a little concerned that the doctor did not follow-up on this immediately after getting the bloodwork back since it was so concerning. Most of the follow-up with the doctor though after this has been good and timely.

Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Dr Bocca is very intelligent and knows her stuff. She has a way of being compassionate yet very direct in communication. I have always felt like she has my interest at heart....In the beginning she is difficult to see because she is so popular. Probably one of the hardest to get an appointment with. But she is very knowledgeable about many things when it comes to endometriosis....For my retrieval process I started with Lupron due to having endometriosis.
The nursing staff at the Jones is absolutely some of the best nursing staff I’ve ever worked with....The front desk isn’t always quick and the Virginia Beach office shares with another clinic so the wait time is always super long. I don’t suggest going there if I can avoid it. You will see all the doctors at the clinic while there and all of them are great! They have amazing residents and I always appreciate the learning atmosphere.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Dr Bocca is very intelligent and knows her stuff. She has a way of being compassionate yet very direct in communication. I have always felt like she has my interest at heart. I’ve lost two babies to miscarriage in this process so there have been times where she is quick to diagnose. I think it shows her knowledge and sometimes it’s helpful to spend more time. However she is always willing to do whatever I need to do to make things easier to process.
Dr Bocca is very patient and supportive. Even with not so good news I’ve been very happy with her treatment and encouragement
For my retrieval process I started with Lupron due to having endometriosis. I overstimulated this cycle and they canceled a fresh transfer due to being hospitalized. I think that was a good move because I was sick for a very long time. For frozen transfer I used patches/pills and IM progesterone. The first cycle we transferred 2 blasts and had successful twin pregnancy. We did lose one baby in the first trimester. Second frozen transfer was completed this month with success and literally completed a DNC this morning to complete the miscarriage. We have now decided to do genetic testing as a result of this due to losing to babies with viable heartbeats.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Margo)
The nursing staff at the Jones is absolutely some of the best nursing staff I’ve ever worked with. And when you do this enough you really spend a lot of time with them. My Ivf coordinator is so compassionate. After my dnc procedure today I had hugs and support from every nurse i came in contact with. That’s HUGE. every appointment they always check on you and want to be sure your emotions are ok.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The front desk isn’t always quick and the Virginia Beach office shares with another clinic so the wait time is always super long. I don’t suggest going there if I can avoid it. You will see all the doctors at the clinic while there and all of them are great! They have amazing residents and I always appreciate the learning atmosphere. I feel like a teaching school is always best for a patient because they are always interested in educating.
The medications were some of the most expensive. I spent 4000 on meds for first cycle. I did have insurance pick up some of price but the most helpful thing is they bill me whatever is contracted pricing. I’ve had to pay for two frozen transfers which are a couple thousand each time. However I’ve had other experiences such as OHSS they required several days in a hospital. I’ve also just recently had to have a dnc due to missed miscarriage. All these extra costs are outside the normal fertility treatment.
Our clinic was ok transferring one blast due to the high quality of embryos I had. Initially I was ok with twins and we transferred two but we did not continue that the next transfer

PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
During my first appointment with Dr. Stadtmauer, she was very attentive, understanding, and communicated well with me. I had a good knowledge of my diagnosis and she was able to answer my questions more directly, while giving me a piece of mind and reassuring me she was confident in treatment options, which was very relieving....So far, I have used Letrozole and Clomid to help release mature follicles before IUI. Because I have PCOS, I do not ovulate on my own and have to take Progesterone to bring on my cycle.
Reaching the clinic [Jones - Norfolk] via the phone is very easy, straight forward, and a wonderful experience. The receptionist and nurses are pleasant and helpful over the phone. The portal online has been a good resource to use, although a few times I have gotten delays in responses a little longer than expected or hoped....Dr. Stadtmauer's billing team has done a fantastic job making sure billing procedure codes are properly done to ensure coverage is effective.
PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
I loved Dr. Stadtmauer and her communication. She never lets me speak negatively and is always assuring me there are new medications and treatments to try. She reminds me my diagnosis is common, I am young, and she has more positive outcomes than negative outcomes in my case and is always excited to see me and start another round. She makes me excited to come and see her and not dread another failed cycle like I have in the past.
Be open! She is there to communicate with and she will not be able to fully express her medical advice and expertise if you don't explain all the problems. She is VERY knowledgeable and very willing to take the next step to ensure her patients are happy and comfortable.
During my first appointment with Dr. Stadtmauer, she was very attentive, understanding, and communicated well with me. I had a good knowledge of my diagnosis and she was able to answer my questions more directly, while giving me a piece of mind and reassuring me she was confident in treatment options, which was very relieving. The only downfall I would have to say was that due to having to come multiple times a week for appointments and measurements, I would sometimes see other physicians who were not updated on my care or aware of my concerns and diagnosis at all, almost as if they had not read my chart at all. I did not have a problem seeing another physician, but was never notified, and struggled to communicate and get my questions answered when meeting with someone other than Dr. Stadtmauer.
So far, I have used Letrozole and Clomid to help release mature follicles before IUI. Because I have PCOS, I do not ovulate on my own and have to take Progesterone to bring on my cycle. Because of this, I can go months with no cycle, resulting in very heavy cycles once I take the Progesterone. Dr. Stadtmauer was able to help track my follicle growth and measurements of my lining to ensure proper timing of ovulation, as heavy cycles resulted in longer cycles and threw of normal schedules. Unfortunately, after three cycles of Letrozole, she was unable to find mature follicles to be released by the trigger shot so we are going to repeat this process with Clomid next month.
The nurses were all very supportive and always showed compassion and were very uplifting even after appointments with not so great news. They always had smiling faces, know me by name, and are always VERY helpful via phone, in office and in the exam rooms.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Reaching the clinic via the phone is very easy, straight forward, and a wonderful experience. The receptionist and nurses are pleasant and helpful over the phone. The portal online has been a good resource to use, although a few times I have gotten delays in responses a little longer than expected or hoped. Wait times have been average, although they could be better. Getting an appointment is sometimes hard, but with a busy office that is expected.
The office visits with Dr. Stadtmauer were covered by my insurance, with just a copay being patient responsibility. The ultrasound appointments were covered and billed correctly, which was a relief, as some in the past have been billed as experimental and not covered. All lab tests have been covered as well. Dr. Stadtmauer's billing team has done a fantastic job making sure billing procedure codes are properly done to ensure coverage is effective. I have gotten a break down of costs up front before vists and ultrasounds with the price in case my insurance was to deny or not cover the services so I am aware of the costs before the services are rendered.
This has not been an option in my care yet.

Unexplained, Other
I never feel rushed when I meet with Dr. Bocca, she takes the time to answer all my questions.... Dr. Bocca is patient, a great communicator and is easy to understand. She doesn’t use too much medical jargon and fully explains all procedures and possible outcomes. She always takes the time to answer all my questions and concerns.... I tried IUI twice earlier this year. Each time, I started with five days of femara, cd 3-7. Day 8 I would go for an ultrasound and they would prescribe my dosage of menopur.
The clinic [Jones Institute for Repro Med] is slow to post payments, so make sure you keep all your receipts. Also, they are slow to submit bills to the insurance company. The staff is overall friendly and they return phone calls quickly.... The overall cost of IUI including medicine was close to $3000.... Some nurses were poor communicators (ie: their directions weren’t clear) and some weren’t very friendly but overall I had a good experience with the nursing staff.
European, Middle Eastern
Unexplained, Other
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and request alternative medications (for instance, if you know of a cheaper option).
I tried IUI twice earlier this year. Each time, I started with five days of femara, cd 3-7. Day 8 I would go for an ultrasound and they would prescribe my dosage of menopur. I would do 3-5 days of shots of menopur while getting ultrasounds every few days to check my egg growth. Once they were a good size (she liked 17 or larger). When my eggs were large enough, I would take the ovidrel trigger shot. Within the next 36hrs my husband and I would go in for the IUI. I did femara and menopur because dr. Bocca said she wanted to see two large eggs at the time of IUI and I had a history of only one egg from just the femara alone.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is slow to post payments, so make sure you keep all your receipts. Also, they are slow to submit bills to the insurance company. The staff is overall friendly and they return phone calls quickly.
The overall cost of IUI including medicine was close to $3000.

Anovulation, Unexplained, Other
Dr Bocca did a good job of explaining treatments to us, and took plenty of time to talk to us. After my 11 week miscarriage, she had a nice long appointment to talk to us. Dr Bocca is compassionate and caring. However, I didn’t get a whole lot of statistics from her or numbers when it came to my chances of success with different courses of treatment. Sometimes her nurses have trouble communicating with her (as in the nurses didn’t get back to me)
The nurses [Jones Institute] were hard to get ahold of frequently and sometimes I had to leave multiple messages to hear back.... I had occasional problems getting progesterone refills/ prescriptions faxed to the pharmacy . I also sometimes didn’t get calls back with results until after the time window they told me I would get a response within... Strengths: Dr boccas bedside manner and compassion. She is helpful, but if you want hard numbers/ chances of success, I didn’t hear much of that. Weaknesses: communication with the nursing team/ front desk. The patient portal/ voicemail system most of the time gets a response
Anovulation, Unexplained, Other
Do some research on treatment options/ infertility basics before you meet with Dr Bocca or any doctor. Be sure you are your own advocate when communicating with Dr Bocca’s team- they don’t always get back to you.
Dr Bocca herself spent plenty of time talking and consulting with us, but the team at Jones was hard to get to respond and get a straight answer from sometimes
We did two cycles of clomid/ letrozole with cycle day intercourse/ ultrasound/ ovidrel injection. Then we did two rounds of injectable hormones with monitoring and timed intercourse. I got pregnant the second time. All signs looked positive and things were going perfectly until I miscarried at 11 weeks due to a trisomy 14 abnormality. We then did one more cycle of injectables and iui with a chemical pregnancy. We have now moved on to ivf at another clinic that has a shared risk/ money back guarantee program and higher success rates when I comes to ivf.
The nurses were hard to get ahold of frequently and sometimes I had to leave multiple messages to hear back. I would recommend Dr Bocca a lot more highly than her nursing staff
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: Dr boccas bedside manner and compassion. She is helpful, but if you want hard numbers/ chances of success, I didn’t hear much of that. Weaknesses: communication with the nursing team/ front desk. The patient portal/ voicemail system most of the time gets a response, but sometimes you need to leave more than one message.
My insurance covered our ultrasounds when we did timed intercouse with pills or injections. However, it did not cover any of our drugs or ultrasounds with iui. We spent roughly $1500/ month each cycle we tried

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr Stadtmauer always makes me feel like we have options, even if it’s not what we first imagined.... She’s not phased by surprises or needs to make adjustments to plans, which really helps to keep me calm. When I didnt respond fast enough to the first round of IVF stimulation, she quickly changed course, adjusted meds, and moved forward. She also provided me with natural supplements (at my request) instead of more pills when I wanted to deal with blood sugar issues.
The Jones Institute has a wonderful reputation and is extremely convenient. And the nursing team in the clinic OR is spectacular. But with only one IVF coordinator nurse, it can be hard to get a hold of someone if you want to ask questions and receive immediate feedback. You have to be a patient patient.... There’s been a lot of turnover in the staffing of the primary IVF coordinator (we’ve worked with three different people in the last 9 months).
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
She’s not phased by surprises or needs to make adjustments to plans, which really helps to keep me calm. When I didnt respond fast enough to the first round of IVF stimulation, she quickly changed course, adjusted meds, and moved forward. She also provided me with natural supplements (at my request) instead of more pills when I wanted to deal with blood sugar issues. Her confidence and experience make everyone feel safe and cared for.
Trust her experience and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
Dr Stadtmauer always makes me feel like we have options, even if it’s not what we first imagined. She’s matter of fact but very calm and caring
We added human growth hormone to my first and second round of stimulation because I wasn’t responding fast enough to standard meds. This helped a lot. We also waited an extra day for the last stimulation before retrieval because she knew it took my body more time to develop the right size eggs.
There’s been a lot of turnover in the staffing of the primary IVF coordinator (we’ve worked with three different people in the last 9 months). But everyone has been very kind, very patient, and very understanding.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Like with all medical care, it’s important to remember that you are the only one advocating for yourself. You need to keep organized and make sure you follow up as needed. The Jones Institute has a wonderful reputation and is extremely convenient. And the nursing team in the clinic OR is spectacular. But with only one IVF coordinator nurse, it can be hard to get a hold of someone if you want to ask questions and receive immediate feedback. You have to be a patient patient.
We were very lucky to have IVF covered by our United HealthCare plan, so none of the services were painfully expensive except the medications (around $8K per round) and anesthesia, around $2K at first, but then cheaper once I hit my insurance deductible.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Bocca was very personable and remembered specifics about our life. ... We had a negative pregnancy result and Dr. Bocca took the time to call me personally and talk about options for moving forward and some test she would like to do. It was very personally and kind. ... We have male factor infertility (blockage) and IVF with ICSI is our treatment option. We under went stimulation leading up to our egg retrieval in March 2017.
Overall the Jones institute is a really great place. The typical wait time was on occasion a bit lengthy but only for certain visits such as talking about medication and timeline. ... The billing department was not the best to get a hold of. I always had to leave a voicemail and would maybe hear back 2 days later sometimes I would have to call back again. Once you got a hold of them they were knowledgeable but it wasn't fun to always get a VM.
She has been amazing and very thourough with our treatment plan. We have gone through one egg retrieval, one fresh transfer (resulting in our son born 2017), and one frozen transfer (negative pregnancy test). We will be doing one more frozen transfer. Over the years I never feel like a number to Dr. Bocca she always remembers me and asks questions about our son and life. She is very thorough and has taken extra care an attention to diagnose and treat some underlying issues we were having. So thankful for the attention to detail, kind words, and phone calls that make difficult news easier to handle.
Dr Bocca truly is one of the best Dr I have seen and she is very kind, upfront, and honest about treatment plans and expectations. Come with questions because she will take the time to go through everything in detail with you.
Dr. Bocca was very personable and remembered specifics about our life. She was very thorough with her treatment plan and I really felt like she cared and was very knowledgeable which was comforting. She was very kind and always upfront with expectations. We have done two transfers so far. One fresh transfer resulting in our son born in 2017. We have also done one frozen which resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
We have male factor infertility (blockage) and IVF with ICSI is our treatment option. We under went stimulation leading up to our egg retrieval in March 2017. We then implanted 2 embryos which resulted in the birth of our healthy son in December 2017. Every question I had was quickly answered and I felt supported through the process. In July 2019 we did a frozen transfer of two embryos (per our request). We had a negative pregnancy result and Dr. Bocca took the time to call me personally and talk about options for moving forward and some test she would like to do. It was very personally and kind. From there she suggested a hysteroscopy to see if there was any inflammation of the uterine lining. After the procedure the lab found abnormal cells which could lead to uterine cancer. ( a little scary but Dr. Bocca personally called and explained everything in detail and her plan of action). From there I was placed on a medication for 3 months with a plan to retest. After the retest I was found all clear and no abnormal cells were found. Now we are in the wait to do a frozen transfer once the Coronavirus quarantine is over. So thankful to have a doctor who takes the extra precautions to make sure her patients are healthy and well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Valarie Warsof )
Our coordinator was very thorough and super straight forward with medication and timeline.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Overall the Jones institute is a really great place. The typical wait time was on occasion a bit lengthy but only for certain visits such as talking about medication and timeline. But overall easy to set up appointments and their communication was excellent. I always got a call back from the nursing staff right away or my Dr. The billing department was not the best to get a hold of. I always had to leave a voicemail and would maybe hear back 2 days later sometimes I would have to call back again. Once you got a hold of them they were knowledgeable but it wasn't fun to always get a VM.
1,500 - ICSI 12,000 - IVF w/ ICSI 2,757 - medication 400 - anesthesia Initial Consultations - 260 Hydrosonogram- 1,000 Pre blood work - 300
We decided to do 2 embryos for our first round as I am young and healthy. Our doctor would never do more than 2 and that is something we would not want either. It resulted in a live birth of our son so we feel this was a right choice for us.
+ Read more- Read less

She [Dr. Silvina Bocca] was very good at explaining things. She was the first doctor that we saw when we started this whole journey so she really laid the groundwork for our whole understanding of everything. She answered all of our questions, she was prompt and through on our scheduled meetings with her...she is going to give you a lot of information...We did 2 times intercourse treatment with Dr. Bocca and one IUI... I just remember her being very hopeful that the times intercourse with the trigger shot would work because we had done so well on every test prior to trying her treatment.
we never received the packet for the IVF costs [from Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine]. Twice I was told it was in the mail to me. I tried to make an appointment to speak with someone in the finance and was never able to get a call back or an appointment. So we left and I made multiple requests to have my records sent and the new office I was at made attempts and nothing was ever sent- I had to show them things on the my chart app.
She was very good at explaining things. She was the first doctor that we saw when we started this whole journey so she really laid the groundwork for our whole understanding of everything. She answered all of our questions, she was prompt and through on our scheduled meetings with her.
To come to the appointment with a paper and pen because she is going to give you a lot of information.
I enjoyed seeing Dr. Bocca- she was very caring and knows what she is talking about.
We did 2 times intercourse treatment with Dr. Bocca and one IUI--I don't really remember the treatment protocol- I just remember her being very hopeful that the times intercourse with the trigger shot would work because we had done so well on every test prior to trying her treatment.
I didn't really like that I saw someone new every time. It made me feel like a new patient almost every time because I was explaining the same thing at almost every visit.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I was not that happy with the clinic- which is ultimately why we left there. Dr. Bocca was great but her staff not so much. I did not like that when I sent an email or had a question- the tone of the responses were not always pleasant. I didn't like how you never saw the same person twice, there is no relationships between patient and the staff.
I believe was paid around 3000.00 for the IUI-- not including medicine
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
When we decided to do IVF after the failed IUI we were going to stay at the Jones Institute however we never received the packet for the IVF costs. Twice I was told it was in the mail to me. I tried to make an appointment to speak with someone in the finance and was never able to get a call back or an appointment. So we left and I made multiple requests to have my records sent and the new office I was at made attempts and nothing was ever sent- I had to show them things on the my chart app.

Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
[Dr. Stadtmauer] always made sure I understood the plan and made sure I was okay with whatever plan we decided. She never rushed through appointments and made sure she thoroughly knew my history and chart before each appointment...She is very knowledgeable about infertility and treatments. She will work with you on a course of action that you agrree with and give education on things you are unsure of. She will call you after procedures and treatments to see how you are ing. Outstanding physician.
Valerie [nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] was awesome in helping to order meds and explaining the process. The other nurses were awesome, especially Shakena. They made sure I was comfortable at each appointment and that I understood everything...The clinic has 3 locations, Norfolk, Virginia Beach and Newport News are great. The Norfolk location has the most equipment and most of the big services are done there. They are great at coordinating services wherever you are located.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
Dr. Stadtmauer is the best doctor to go to. She is very knowledgeable about infertility and treatments. She will work with you on a course of action that you agrree with and give education on things you are unsure of. She will call you after procedures and treatments to see how you are ing. Outstanding physician.
Be honest and open with her. Let her know all of your issues and don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for a different treatment if you are not comfortable.
Dr. Stadt always made sure I understood the plan and made sure I was okay with whatever plan we decided. She never rushed through appointments and made sure she thoroughly knew my history and chart before each appointment.
For the retrieval I used Gonal F, menopur and cetrotide. Not sure of the doses, but I used it for about 10 days before retrieval. I went to the doctor every other day to twst blood levels after a few days they start ultrasounds to check follicle size. The retrieval day, I came 2 hours early and once I went back they gave me anesthesia so I was out of it. Before I went back my husband gave his sample. So after I woke up we were told his sperm count and how many eggs were retrieved. 3 days after they called and told me how many made it to day 3 and day 4 they called and updated the number for transfer the next day. 1st and 2nd transfer were hard, full bladder and they had a hard time transferring. 1st ended in a chemical, 2nd negative test, 3rd Dr. Stadtmauer was there for and used a sydney transfer for my tilted uterus. Miscarried at 10 weeks. 2nd and 3rd transfer prep were estrogen patches and pills and progesterone shots
Valerie was awesome in helping to order meds and explaining the process. The other nurses were awesome, especially Shakena. They made sure I was comfortable at each appointment and that I understood everything.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Sperm testing $120 Ultrasound $240 Pregnancy test $10 Transfer $3,895 Physician $75 -$85 Retrieval $11,240 Fertility meds $~$5,000
They always transfer two unless you ask for one or only have one. Three can be transferred after a certain number of tries and/or age.
+ Read more- Read less

It's a teaching hospital [Jones - Norfolk] so you never see the doctor you think you have an appointment with. There is usually a student also in your ultrasound.... The nurses were very kind and sweet but not organized and made me feel like I was alone sometimes.... I went in on a Saturday which was my cycle day 3 and was told I needed to take menopur the following night, which is a specialty drug that must be overnighted and I did not have any. I left in tears frantically trying to find menopur. That was the first of some other stressful visits.
Dr. Bocca was very accessible when she was in town. She is knowledgeable and had a wonderful bedside manner. I just felt like I was going through the usual infertility routine and fell through the cracks. We completed round after round of timed intercourse with injectables. There was no change in my treatment even though we asked at the first meeting to go right to IVF at any point in the beginning if it seemed necessary. The only change was to try IUI and that was unsuccessful. Every month I just kept doing the same thing, that was not working. Then I found myself through a full calendar year with no change. It was stressful.
Do your own research and manage your calendar and meds yourself. Ask lots and lots of questions about what is next so that you are prepared and have your meds ready.
This is difficult to answer as Dr. Bocca was very accessible when she was in town. She is knowledgeable and had a wonderful bedside manner. Her nursing staff was very kind as well. I just felt like I was going through the usual infertility routine and fell through the cracks. There was no change in my treatment even though we asked at the first meeting to go right to IVF at any point in the beginning if it seemed necessary. Every month I just kept doing the same thing, that was not working. Then I found myself through a full calendar year with no change. It was stressful.
We completed round after round of timed intercourse with injectables. Twice out of the 12 months of being there, we tried IUI was was unsuccessful. Other than the IUI, every month I just kept doing the same thing, that was not working.
The nurses were very kind and sweet but not organized and made me feel like I was alone sometimes. After my first month of timed intercourse with injectables, I went in for appointments to see what's next. I went in on a Saturday which was my cycle day 3 and was told I needed to take menopur the following night, which is a specialty drug that must be overnighted and I did not have any. I left in tears frantically trying to find menopur. That was the first of some other stressful visits.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
It's a teaching hospital so you never see the doctor you think you have an appointment with. There is usually a student also in your ultrasound. The nurses are kind but for sure have not been through infertility themselves. The doctors are very nice.
Since I was mostly getting blood draws and ultrasounds, the cost was ~$200-$400 a cycle. My insurance assisted some. For the monitoring patient only visits, they will not process through your insurance for you so it's $500-$600 a visit.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
I had to consistently give the nurse the phone number to the specialty drug pharmacy. I later went for monitoring only and every single visit (at least 8) they did not send the results to my other clinic and I would have to call and ask for them, often multiple calls in one day. And good luck getting a person on the phone quickly. You have to leave a message and wait hours for them to call you back.
+ Read more- Read less

I rarely saw Dr. Oehninger once I started my cycle. Lower level staff or the other REs performed almost all of my monitoring ultrasounds, as well as my egg retrieval and transfer. You don't get to choose who performs your care and it's not consistent...I went into our IVF cycle expecting to be seen by Dr. Oehninger, as our assigned RE. I had really appreciated how much time and information he gave us at our consultation visits and looked forward to him being involved in my care. However, I didn't see him much during the monitoring cycle. Even when I did, a training doctor performed the actual ultrasound.
The Jones Institute is part of EVMS so you can expect extra sets of hands and eyes in the room in most cases...I would've strongly preferred to have received my monitoring results on a regular basis, instead of having to beg for them after the cycle was complete...I was also not pleased at how scarce the embryo development reports were...The nurse who handles blood draws is incredibly sweet. The OR nurses are really wonderful and compassionate, too....
I went into our IVF cycle expecting to be seen by Dr. Oehninger, as our assigned RE. I had really appreciated how much time and information he gave us at our consultation visits and looked forward to him being involved in my care. However, I didn't see him much during the monitoring cycle. Even when I did, a training doctor performed the actual ultrasound. The Jones Institute is part of EVMS so you can expect extra sets of hands and eyes in the room in most cases. My egg retrieval and subsequent transfer were both performed by another member of the practice. When my beta was negative, I would've liked to receive a call from Dr. Oehninger since he was my main RE. Instead, the RE who actually performed my transfer called.
Do your own research so you can keep up with him in conversations. He won't slow down to explain the basics for you automatically so educate yourself beforehand. Also, be prepared to not see him during your course of treatment as it just depends on the REs schedules.
I was given a standard antagonist protocol following three weeks of birth control. Despite great ultrasound monitoring results leading up to retrieval, the majority of my follicles didn't produce an egg at retrieval.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I would've strongly preferred to have received my monitoring results on a regular basis, instead of having to beg for them after the cycle was complete. I kept being told everything was progressing great, but now that I have my blood results on paper, I see that maybe I could've been asking more questions along the way and perhaps our egg retrieval results wouldn't have been so utterly shocking. I think that they have so many patients it's easier for them to just shepherd you through the process and would rather you not have too many details, but I felt a bit like I was naively trusting a process that ended up failing. I was also not pleased at how scarce the embryo development reports were. I would've liked daily communication from the embryologist - but that may be wishful thinking on my part, and just not possible!
The baseline package was $11,500. Meds are of course purchased through a third party pharmacy, but the IVF coordinator really helped us out by telling us about a discount program we were able to apply for.
Had we had two viable embryos, Dr. O had planned to transfer two.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
They're not able to post a lot of results on the online health portal, so be prepared to have to ask for paper copies.

PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Dr. Pakrashi is very supportive and knowledgable. She has an amazing bedside manner...She is friendly and thorough in making sure I receive the care I need. She is also very responsive when I contact her with questions or concerns. I know that she and I share the same goals for my fertility...She was very empathetic and highly responsive to all questions or concerns.
Strengths [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine]: Extensive resources, Easy to communicate with via FollowMyHealth portal, large staff, good equipment Weaknesses: Occasionally long wait times to be seen, expensive, you won't always see your specific doctor, which can be good or bad depending on the situation. Sometimes it's nice to have another doctor's opinion, other times, the consistency of a dr. that knows you is better. BUT you can schedule as best as possible to always see the same dr.
PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Dr. Pakrashi is very supportive and knowledgable. She has an amazing bedside manner. I have been seeing her for 2 years now and therefore understand how to best communicate with her and receive recommendations. She is friendly and thorough in making sure I receive the care I need. She is also very responsive when I contact her with questions or concerns. I know that she and I share the same goals for my fertility.
Ask as many questions as possible and do not be afraid to re-ask the same questions or have information repeated back to you.
Tarita is very understanding and listens to you as a patient very closely. She was very empathetic and highly responsive to all questions or concerns.
Cycle 1: Letrozole + progesterone since we were still at the beginning of my fertility journey. With the addition of progesterone, I got pregnant, but ultimately it ended in an ectopic pregnancy. Surgery to remove right tube. Cycle 2: Letrozole. We did not add progesterone because I was ovulating on the side where my tube had been removed. I did get pregnant, but also ended in an ectopic pregnancy with methotrexate shot to manage it. Cycle 3: Gonal-F + progesterone with timed intercourse. Levothyroxine added to treat hypothyroidism and reduce TSH levels. The goal was to produce more eggs. However in this cycle it seemed most of the egg production was on my tubeless side. No pregnancy resulted. Cycle 4: Gonal-F + progesterone = IUI. The goal was to produce more eggs again and also plant the sperm closer to the egg. In my honest opinion the IUI concept is flawed and a bit of a waste of money. Perhaps if there had been multiple IUIs done during this cycle, it might have worked, but this resulted in no pregnancy. Cycle 5: IVF using Menopur, Follistim, Ganirellix. The goal was to implant embryos. I was on a relatively low dose of Menopur and Follistim. Despite these low dosages, I was unable to have the Hcg trigger because of the risk of OHSS. Dr. Pakrashi was very attentive in making sure I did not get to sick and was very on top of my care. I used a lupron trigger for the egg retrieval and all embryos were frozen. Cycle 6: Frozen Embryo Transfer using estrogen patches and tablets and Endometrin inserts. The amount of Endomentrin inserts was increased due to not enough progesterone in my system. Cycle ongoing...
Most of the nurses here are excellent. In my first couple of cycles I had some problems with not receiving calls back to messages I would leave. However, in the past 3 cycles communication has improved significantly! Everyone is very friendly and nice.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: Extensive resources, Easy to communicate with via FollowMyHealth portal, large staff, good equipment Weaknesses: Occasionally long wait times to be seen, expensive, you won't always see your specific doctor, which can be good or bad depending on the situation. Sometimes it's nice to have another doctor's opinion, other times, the consistency of a dr. that knows you is better. BUT you can schedule as best as possible to always see the same dr.
Most of my care was done through claims submitted to my insurance agency and out of pocket expenses. They do not take Tricare, but will submit claims on your behalf. The process is frustrating because you receive checks that then need to be mailed to EVMS.
Dr. Pakrashi sat down with me to discuss the risks and rewards with eSET vs multiple embryo transfer however she ultimately left the decision to me as the patient and I elected to for multiple embryo transfer.

2009 - 2017
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
We started on Lupron protocols [with Dr. Bocca] which we did twice, we had one failed cycle because I was too suppressed by Lupron. They offered us our money back or to hold it for a new cycle. They put me on ganerilex instead and we went forward with three more full cycles. I also had enough frozen embroys for 8 other frozen cycles - only one took... I have multiple blastocysts on ice. In that time Dr. Bocca stopped recommended day 3 transfers and went to day 5.
The coordinator [at Jones Institute] is a bit no nonsense. The nursing staff has some turn over but they are generally very nice. The retrieval team is different than the clinic nurses...fresh cycles were 15000 all inclusive but you got a discount for repeat business. Frozen cycles were around 5000, separate ultrasounds were 300, medications were not sold by the clinic and had to be purchased at specialty pharmacies... Who performs your retrieval and transfer is based on scheduling. They have Saturday and sunday appointments also. Sometimes the front desk is not as awesome as the rest of the clinic and hold times can be annoying if you call at a busy time. I do get phone calls returned within 24 hrs. There is also an on call doctor that I have talked ot numerous times. There are also 3 training fellows.
2009 - 2017
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
She has a very sunny disposition and a positive outlook. She has been my primary physician since 2009 for infertility and she has kept my hopes up when I was down. She is very focused on how I am 'feeling' and has been able to gently tell me things that I perhaps didn't want to hear. We had numerous frozen embryo failures and she told us to take a break for a few months to take the pressure off. She was also compassionate when we decided we had reached our last fresh cycle attempt.
If you want someone with glass half full, she is for you. If you are more of a glass half empty person or have trouble hearing bad news or set backs, you may want someone else.
She was always very kind and sympathetic, even when I would get very intense. They always scheduled a free consultation after any cycle that did not work which was very important to us.
We had minor issues for ourselves, but not enough to be guaranteed natural pregnancy. We did one cycle of IUI which failed and we decided we were better off doing full retrievals. We started on Lupron protocols which we did twice, we had one failed cycle because I was too suppressed by Lupron. They offered us our money back or to hold it for a new cycle. They put me on ganerilex instead and we went forward with three more full cycles. I also had enough frozen embroys for 8 other frozen cycles - only one took. I have 5 children now, 3 singletons and 1 set of twins. The program also got a new embroyologist recently who increased their blastocysts success rate to 60-70% survival. I have multiple blastocysts on ice. In that time Dr. Bocca stopped recommended day 3 transfers and went to day 5.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Valerie Warsoff)
The coordinator is a bit no nonsense. The nursing staff has some turn over but they are generally very nice. The retrieval team is different than the clinic nurses.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is cutting edge and attached to the medical school They will do a good job of giving you realistic expectations. You will see almost all of the doctors in the practice whom have very different personalities. Who performs your retrieval and transfer is based on scheduling. They have Saturday and sunday appointments also. Sometimes the front desk is not as awesome as the rest of the clinic and hold times can be annoying if you call at a busy time. I do get phone calls returned within 24 hrs. There is also an on call doctor that I have talked ot numerous times. There are also 3 training fellows.
fresh cycles were 15000 all inclusive but you got a discount for repeat business. Frozen cycles were around 5000, separate ultrasounds were 300, medications were not sold by the clinic and had to be purchased at specialty pharmacies. 6 years ago IUI was 600
She originally recommended against multiple embryo transfers because I had gotten pregnant with two cycles back to back. I didn't mind twins so we started out on 2 embryos. When we failed and looked at our finances, we started doing 3 at a time. She recommended single blastocyst transfer also because of their increased twinning rates. I don't mind twins so I had 2 and 2 took. They never allowed you to put in more than 3.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Nothing was really wrong. During my first retrieval I was told one appointment they would tell me how many eggs they thought I would have during an ultrasound. I got a different doctor than usual who was a different personality and refused to speculate. I later got to know him and understood that he didn't want to get hopes up this early as the real proof is in the actual retrieval.

2014 - 2017
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Bocca took the time to explain all procedures to my husband and I....fter my hysteroscopy, which she performed, she called the next day to make sure I was doing ok....Dr. Bocca is very nice and understanding. She seems knowledgeable. I felt like she has our best interest at heart. It's been easy to communicate with her and her staff....Dr. Bocca put me on Femara/Letrozole because it makes me produce more eggs than Clomid...
Nurses [Jones- Norfolk] are nice and knowledgeable....I enjoed my visits with Dr. Bocca because she's my primary doctor there and knows my chart. A lot of times for ultrasounds and IUIs, I would see a different doctor and it seemed as if they didn't read my chart so I had to remind them of things....Someone from her staff always replied to my emails....First visit - $190 Other visits -$60 Hysteroscopy $2,000 HSG -$600 IUI -$250 Sperm wash for IUI -$140...
2014 - 2017
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Bocca is very nice and understanding. She seems knowledgeable. I felt like she has our best interest at heart. It's been easy to communicate with her and her staff. I found that if I call I might wait for a response but with an email I get a response within 24 hours.
Be prepared with questions (write them down). If you need to get in touch with her(her nurses) send an email using FMH (Follow My Health) portal. Don't stress about money- they work with you on payment plan.
Dr. Bocca took the time to explain all procedures to my husband and I. Someone from her staff always replied to my emails. After my hysteroscopy, which she performed, she called the next day to make sure I was doing ok.
I have PCOS and don't ovulate on my own, I also have one blocked tube. Dr. Bocca put me on Femara/Letrozole because it makes me produce more eggs than Clomid and the chances of ovulating on the side with open tube are higher. My husband has liw morphology so she recommended IUI. We tried 2 but they were unsuccessful. We're considering going straight to ivf now
Nurses are nice and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I enjoed my visits with Dr. Bocca because she's my primary doctor there and knows my chart. Unfortunately I didn't always see her. A lot of times for ultrasounds and IUIs, I would see a different doctor and it seemed as if they didn't read my chart so I had to remind them of things.
My insurance didn't cover treatment: First visit - $190 Other visits -$60 Hysteroscopy $2,000 HSG -$600 IUI -$250 Sperm wash for IUI -$140

Endometriosis, Unexplained
I did feel like the coordinators and nurses [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] were lacking that quality. We often felt like numbers to them. Sometimes the sense of urgency was lost and even though it was our first IVF cycle, we felt like they expected us to know things we did not. While I wasn't overly impressed with the IVF coordinator, the business office was kind and courteous and we navigated this expensive treatment.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Overall, my experience with Dr. Stadtmauer was a great one. I really felt like she was on our side and she listened to all my concerns. After 4 years of trying to conceive and failed treatments, she understood that I knew my body and she didn't try to talk us into or out of anything we didn't feel 100% comfortable with. As a self-pay patient, we were interested in the share-risk program and I believe she was a big advocate in helping us get approved for it. I do wish I was able to see her more through out my treatment, but with us living 2 hours away, the schedule didn't always work in our favor. However, all the doctors I saw in between very kind and made sure to answer all my questions if they arose. When it came time to hear the results of my beta, Dr. Stadtmauer called me personally and I could tell the genuine excitement in her voice. Although this was only my first round of IVF, I felt like we had been on this journey with her for longer and she was so happy for us. Overall, I would recommend working with Dr. Stadtmauer!
Make sure you are explicit about your goals, concerns, and expectations. When we had our consultation, she listened to our history and our past experiences and she adjusted our treatment based on that.
Living 2 hours away from the Jones Institute, it was important for us to feel like our RE was part of our team. Dr. Stadtmauer took the time to meet with me as well as speak with me over the phone to answer questions I had so I wouldn't have to make the trip up. While I wasn't able to see her much during my cycle due to the way the schedule worked out, once it came time for my beta, she called with such genuine excitement and took the time to talk with me about my cycle (what went well/what didn't). I felt like she was celebrating with me. While I would have liked to see her more during my cycle, overall she made me feel like we were in this together.
They were very knowledgable, but I did just feel like a number. I also had a hard time getting a response from the nursing staff when questions arose.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
While Dr. Stadtmauer made us feel like we were a team, I did feel like the coordinators and nurses were lacking that quality. We often felt like numbers to them. Sometimes the sense of urgency was lost and even though it was our first IVF cycle, we felt like they expected us to know things we did not. While I wasn't overly impressed with the IVF coordinator, the business office was kind and courteous and we navigated this expensive treatment.
We did the shared risk program which included 2 fresh IVF cycles, frozen cycles until the embryos from the last retrieval were used up, ICSI, and cryopreservation which totaled $19,000. This did not include medication.
Dr. Stadtmauer listened to us and knew that we were comfortable with the transfer of two embryos if we had them. Two embryos were transferred and one took!
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
I was awaiting news of my fertilization rate and was told we would know by 10am at the latest the day after the retrieval. Around 11am/12pm I called because I still had no indication of what my results were. After many message and voicemails, I finally received a call back that I should have my results soon. The results didn't come through until almost the end of the business day through the online portal. It was a long and nerve wrecking wait. I also experienced something similar with our freeze report. We were told they would watch the embryos until the next day to see if they progressed to a point where they could be frozen. At the end of the day, I received our final report which indicated none were frozen. I was confused as I was told they would wait a day to give them time to grow. After my voicemails, I finally had my call returned a few days later to get clarification, but no indication as to why they didn't wait a full day to watch and see if the remaining embryos would progress.
+ Read more- Read less

She [Dr. Stadtmauer] reminds me of a female Einstein. She is extremely knowledgeable. At our first meeting, I thought she wasn't really paying attention to me, but then I realized it was because she was thinking about all of my background history and a plan of action. I was able to leave my very first appointment much more confident, and with a clear idea of what our game plan was...I have been on Clomid for eight months. My first month with her, she had me stop Clomid for an entire month to check to see if I would ovulate on my own. After finding out that my ovulation was good, she went ahead and started with a new drug
It was easy to make appointments around my schedule [at Jones Institute] . I just wish that my IUI could have been with my doctor… But we worked around my cycle schedule, so that was totally out of anyone else's control...[Nurses were...]Always friendly, pleasant, professional, and had a smile on their face. From getting negative pregnancy blood work, to showing me and my husband exactly how to do my hip injections, they were all awesome!
She reminds me of a female Einstein. She is extremely knowledgeable. At our first meeting, I thought she wasn't really paying attention to me, but then I realized it was because she was thinking about all of my background history and a plan of action. I was able to leave my very first appointment much more confident, and with a clear idea of what our game plan was.
Don't give up! I went through a miscarriage, crazy hormones from the pills, and painful injections. It is all totally worth it when you finally get to hold your precious little one in your arms!
Even though she was very "book smart," she let me know from day one what our game plan was, and did eventually crack a smile with me.
I have been on Clomid for eight months. My first month with her, she had me stop Clomid for an entire month to check to see if I would ovulate on my own. After finding out that my ovulation was good, she went ahead and started with a new drug, which ended up not working for me... didn't like all of the bad side effects. We switched back to Clomid, stomach injection, and timed intercourse. When that didn't work, we did clomid at a higher dose, the stomach injection, and then our IUI. At a certain point later that month, I began progesterone hip injections daily. Once I found out I was pregnant from the IUI, I continued the progesterone injections through the first 10 weeks.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Love that I didn't have to drive across the water to Norfolk or VA Beach offices. It was easy to make appointments around my schedule. I just wish that my IUI could have been with my doctor… But we worked around my cycle schedule, so that was totally out of anyone else's control.
My insurance covered any ultrasounds and bloodwork that were performed. All medications were out of pocket, but I used Avella pharmacy, and they were fantastic. For the IUI why procedure, I believe the part we had to pay after insurance was approximately $500.
I appreciate her explaining to me how important it was to get off all medication for the first month I was under her care. Even though I was eager to get pregnant, she thoroughly explained why it was important to research all possible reasons why I was having trouble getting pregnant.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Oehninger is extremely experienced and intelligent in his field. He is a little rough around the edges as far as bedside manner goes... meaning he is very cut and dry with giving you information and does not sugarcoat it at all. In some instances this worked very well for us because we wanted to get the show on the road but at other times we really kind of needed someone to talk to and we felt rushed. Overall though he is extremely professional, very respectful and you can tell that he truly has our best interest at heart...
This clinic [Jones - Norfolk] is more of a "strictly business" kind of clinic. They are extremely busy and also shortstaffed which makes it difficult to get calls back or information sometimes. Definitely remember that you are your own best advocate. Take the time to research and plan for appointments with questions or concerns ahead of time...The main problem with the Jones Institute is communication...
Dr. Oehninger is extremely experienced and intelligent in his field. He is a little rough around the edges as far as bedside manner goes... meaning he is very cut and dry with giving you information and does not sugarcoat it at all. In some instances this worked very well for us because we wanted to get the show on the road but at other times we really kind of needed someone to talk to and we felt rushed. Overall though he is extremely professional, very respectful and you can tell that he truly has our best interest at heart .
Definitely take his advice because he certainly knows what he's talking about however take the time to prepare for appointments and write your questions down before hand otherwise you may forget with how fast he moves through protocol. Definitely be your own advocate. Lastly, don't take his abruptness to heart. Although he may move through appointments quickly he really does care about your success and will remember your quarks and situation dencently well.
I felt like I was treated like a number sometimes because appointments felt really, really rushed. The appointments that I felt like I got the information that I needed were solely because I spent a lot of time prepping for the appointment myself like reading books and articles and coming in with a full list of questions to help guide the conversation. When I didn't do all of this pre-work, The appointments were very quick and my doctor just assumed which way we wanted to go wrote the plan out gave it to us and sent us on our way. I will say, that when our IVF cycle failed and when we were first diagnosed and very motional he did take the time to talk to us and coddle us a bit. I think that he recognizes that this is a very emotional journey for everybody however at the same time he knows that in order to be successful in a lot of cases you must move quickly. I think he also has so much experience specifically with male infertility that he generally knows the best decisions to make and because of that forgets that we've never been through this before so we may need it explained.
We first went to Jones Institute after trying naturally for over a year. The first thing we were instructed to do was a sperm analysis due to the fact that this was cheaper than any female test. That report came back abnormal with extremely low sperm counts and due to the fact that I had regular cycles he encouraged us to move straight forward with IVF. We were unsuccessful and the ratio of eggs retrieved to five day embryo survival was very weak. He noted this in our plan and then encouraged us to save our money and really think hard about sperm donation. We took his advice and started our IUI treatments after that, we got pregnant on the first try. In the process of purchasing donor sperm doctor on anger did a great job referring us to a bank, answering all of our questions, helping us through genetic testing, and giving us advice on the emotional journey of choosing a donor.
Dr. Oehninger's nurse, Heather, is amazing. Like him, she does not mess around and get straight to the point. However when you're doing 4-5 blood tests a week I appreciated this. She was lighthearted and easy to get along with and really showed compassion when you called in with a concern or question. The IVF Coordinator on the other hand is awful. She is extremely sarcastic and "hands off "so she truly looks at you like a number and nothing else. We had concerns over timing with her and tried to sit down with her to look at the schedule she had given us and she acted like she had absolutely zero time for us. When she was training us on how to do medications she rushed to the entire thing so my husband and I felt very uncomfortable and had to go back to our regular nurse for reassurance and retraining. She was horrible about calling us back so we basically had to harass her just to figure out how our embryos were doing during our IVF cycle. I think if someone came in and just helped her organize her self a little bit more she would be a lot more successful and reputable among patients.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is more of a "strictly business" kind of clinic. They are extremely busy and also shortstaffed which makes it difficult to get calls back or information sometimes. Definitely remember that you are your own best advocate. Take the time to research and plan for appointments with questions or concerns ahead of time.
IVF - $12000 IVF Meds - $4500 IUI - $265 Donor Sperm Storage - ~$300ish per year
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
The main problem with the Jones Institute is communication. It would be very beneficial for them to develop a better "patient introduction" packet or something so patients weren't forced to constantly call and then inevitably wait for return calls on common questions that could easily be listed on a website or in a packet.

2013 - 2016
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
She's [Dr. Stadtmauer] very smart, and very open to have a conversation about your treatment options, which is important to me. She's professional, and will call you if you need to discuss some aspect of your treatment with her...Dr. S is very responsive and receptive to all worries and concerns that I've had through the entire process. She answers all of my questions, and takes the time that we need to make sure we're both on the same page...
[Jones - Norfolk] Strengths - amazing doctors, very knowledgeable. They will never turn down or deny a patient treatment just for the benefit of their stats. The site of the first IVF done in the USA, which is pretty cool. Comparably, they are WAY more affordable than the other clinic in Hampton Roads. The support staff, for the most part, is very kind and caring. Weakness - their donor egg program can use some vamping. They do not have very many in house donors...
2013 - 2016
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
I'm certainly a fan of Dr. S! She's very smart, and very open to have a conversation about your treatment options, which is important to me. She's professional, and will call you if you need to discuss some aspect of your treatment with her.
No one is a miracle worker. But Dr. S will definitely do her best to achieve your family goals.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths - amazing doctors, very knowledgeable. They will never turn down or deny a patient treatment just for the benefit of their stats. The site of the first IVF done in the USA, which is pretty cool. Comparably, they are WAY more affordable than the other clinic in Hampton Roads. The support staff, for the most part, is very kind and caring. Weakness - their donor egg program can use some vamping. They do not have very many in house donors. It would be nice if they had non-anonymous donors or at least a choice for that, and a much larger pool of donors. If you don't use an agency/bring in your own donor, it can take a very long time to be matched with a donor. The embryologists don't give updates during cycling as a standard practice, which I found to be very difficult. The wait time for some appointments is quite long - the docs get caught up in their morning surgeries, and those waiting for ultrasounds can wait for quite awhile. Communication can be slow at times with nurses, coordinators, lab results, etc.
+ Read more- Read less

I liked that my Dr. [Oehninger] was the director of the top program in the area but with that I felt a disconnect from him at times. Luckily there were other Doctors on staff to pick up slack where his was lacking...I was upset after my 2nd FET I waited around for an hour without update on why my transfer was being delayed. Finally the DR. said he wanted to "watch the embryos" I didn't find out until 30 minutes later that out of 6 in the freezer 4 of them were not thawing well. I only found out after my negative pregnancy test that none of the other embryos survived. That was the biggest disappointment in the process.
I think they [Jones Institute] do a good of listening to you as a patient and putting the best efforts on the table for you to achieve your overall goal. There are times where they have so many patients in cycle at once, however, where you might feel a little lost in the shuffle...I think the care coordinator does an ok job. I think that because there are so many patients to come each day she looses a bit of her organization. I got a few messages on the medication line that were in correct or hard to understand.
I liked that my Dr. was the director of the top program in the area but with that I felt a disconnect from him at times. Luckily there were other Doctors on staff to pick up slack where his was lacking.
Be tough on the things that are important to you to make sure your voice is heard and that you don't get lost in the crowd.
I felt like though there was a sense of them trying to make every cycle and every patient have their personal touch there were still days where I was just lost in the mix. With lots of cycle starts and long wait times during appointments I would often feel like I just needed to get in and out because I was already stressed about being late to work from waiting on my appointment to start an hour late.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I think they do a good of listening to you as a patient and putting the best efforts on the table for you to achieve your overall goal. There are times where they have so many patients in cycle at once, however, where you might feel a little lost in the shuffle. I would tell a future patient to be strong through this process and to not loose sight of what you feel you need because you feel rushed.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
I think I was more frustrated with my appointment wait times. Also, I was upset after my 2nd FET I waited around for an hour without update on why my transfer was being delayed. Finally the DR. said he wanted to "watch the embryos" I didn't find out until 30 minutes later that out of 6 in the freezer 4 of them were not thawing well. I only found out after my negative pregnancy test that none of the other embryos survived. That was the biggest disappointment in the process.
Male Factor, Immunological
He [Dr. Oehninger] was very educational, and passionate about what he does. He tells you upfront what to expect throughout the treatments. I felt very comfortable going through our IVF cycles with him. He always explained everything throughouly during our sessions with him...He was very upfront about our procedures. He provided a lot of encouragement throughout the process, especially during our miscarriage.
The receptionist’s are very good about making your appointments for you, and calling you to follow up. I feel as though the clinic [Jones] as a whole is exceptional . From our first visit to discuss infertility treatments, until our last treatment . They have quite the outgoing staff. They were very upfront about everything from out treatments, as well as payment options. I feel as though this clinic is the best one around ! I would highly recommend them to anyone going through infertility treatments.
Male Factor, Immunological
He was very educational, and passionate about what he does. He tells you upfront what to expect throughout the treatments. I felt very comfortable going through our IVF cycles with him. He always explained everything throughouly during our sessions with him. He said ‘ let’s make it happen’ and it sure did! We finally got pregnant with twin girls ! It was such a blessing going to the Jones Institute. I would love to go back there to see him for our third child.
He knows his stuff !
2nd IVf fresh cycle - he didn’t stimulate a much to get better quality eggs!
They were very compassionate throughout the process . Always made small talk with me , and eased my mind !
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The receptionist’s are very good about making your appointments for you, and calling you to follow up. I feel as though the clinic as a whole is exceptional . From our first visit to discuss infertility treatments, until our last treatment . They have quite the outgoing staff. They were very upfront about everything from out treatments, as well as payment options. I feel as though this clinic is the best one around ! I would highly recommend them to anyone going through infertility treatments.
We did a shared risk payment plan. They were very upfront about the cost for everything . They would bill us in an ample amount of time !
I feel as that multiple embryo transfer was right for us . Higher chances of one embryo sticking !!

Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Stadtmauer took great care of me and my husband. She really allowed me to be involved in my treatment plan....She took my infertility very seriously. She didn't waste our time, she got us pregnant. She allowed me to be involved in my treatment plan. She was willing to give us more advanced treatment to help my egg quality ...She's very open and listens to your wants and concerns, don't be afraid to tell her.
[Jones - Norfolk] I had a different nurse almost every time. A couple of them I liked and there were a couple that I didn't like. Some were just not very sensitive. They were fertile and you could tell that they did not understand the struggle....Dr. Stadtmauer took great care of me and my husband. She really allowed me to be involved in my treatment plan. She was very caring when we got bad news and she was excited with us when we got good news.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
I have severe infertility but because I was so young (early 20's), some doctors didn't take me seriously and told me and my husband to "keep trying on our own". We had been trying for 3 years before seeing Dr Stadtmauer. She took my infertility very seriously. She didn't waste our time, she got us pregnant. She allowed me to be involved in my treatment plan. She was willing to give us more advanced treatment to help my egg quality which resulted in my first healthy pregnancy and baby. For that, I will be forever grateful. I honestly don't think I could ask for a better doctor.
For my first round of IVF, I was on Lupron, Menopur, and Gonal-F (can't remember dosage). Because I am young, my body responded really well to stims so they had to keep my dose low. They retrieved 29 eggs, resulting in 5 embryos. The quality was not great so they had to do a 3 day transfer. They transferred 2 embryos (can't remember the grade) and the rest did not make it to freeze on Day 5. That round of IVF resulted in a twin pregnancy but I unfortunately miscarried at 9 weeks. For my second round of IVF, they did LOTS of genetic testing beforehand. All results were normal. My egg quality was thought to be the culprit of my miscarriages. So they put me on HGH Omnitropin (can't remember the dosage), Gonal-F, and Cetrotide. Since they knew exactly how my body responded to stims, they got my dosage perfect. I believe they retrieved 20 eggs that time. It resulted in 5 embryos. They were better quality than last round but not good enough to make it to Day 5 which was a bummer because we had hoped to do PGS and to freeze some. We had to do a Day 3 transfer. They transferred two grade 3, 8 cell embryos. Like I said, the other 3 embryos did not make it to freeze. That round resulted in one amazingly healthy singleton pregnancy. I gave birth to a healthy baby girl 2 days before her due date.
+ Read more- Read less

We really loved him [Dr. Sergio Oehniger] right from the start. Our experience was amazing and everything happened exactly as it was explained to us. We appreciated how direct and honest he was and knowing what to expect. His predictions and diagnosis were spot on.... Dr. O transferred 2 embryos for the first cycle, but after a successful singleton birth recommends strongly only having one transferred for our second child, unless we want twins
There were different charges [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] like OR fees, General IVF fees, extra charge for ICSI and medications (about $4,000) that all added up. In total, about $12,000, and I also have 3 frozen embryos they store for $60/month. It will eliminate a large part of the process when we try to have another child... Appointments were easy to make, staff was awesome and we are looking forward to doing it all again! I really appreciated how caring and understanding all of the nurses were every time I went and the visits were all quick without much waiting. I never felt like a number and it's easy to see why people want to come to this clinic.
We really loved him right from the start. Our experience was amazing and everything happened exactly as it was explained to us. We appreciated how direct and honest he was and knowing what to expect. His predictions and diagnosis were spot on.
Don't wait. Just do it. I think he is retiring, but Dr. Bocca is awesome too.
He always made us feel comfortable and confident. Awesome bedside manner, direct, open communication and very sweet personality.
I had a very typical cycle. Follicle stimulation to produce eggs, retrieval, ICSI for insemination with my husband's sperm (male factor infertility, several viable embryos, two embryos transferred, single embryo implantation, single, healthy live birth. ONE CYCLE SUCCESS!!!
Every visit was amazing! We loved all of the staff and every appointment was uplifting and full of hope!
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
There were different charges like OR fees, General IVF fees, extra charge for ICSI and medications (about $4,000) that all added up. In total, about $12,000, and I also have 3 frozen embryos they store for $60/month. It will eliminate a large part of the process when we try to have another child.

2012 - 2014
The initial consultation the Dr. [Bocca] was very warm and welcoming but we hardly interacted with her following the initial visit...She was very great about answering any questions or concerns... I would like to see more resources geared toward the LGBT community and families...The initial visit was very knowledgeable and left us with a good feeling of where to start...Overall it was a great experience for someone who had no idea what to expect.
The Hospital [Jones] we went to did a great job but it does not focus on the LGBT community so it was gray areas when it came to some of the care and resources... This clinic had a overall good experience it's not as personalized that you would want it to be but everyone we encountered along the way had a very professional and friendly manner... We didn't have a specific nurse assigned to our care we pretty much encountered whoever was available during the times of necessary appointments.
2012 - 2014
The initial visit was very knowledgeable and left us with a good feeling of where to start. There wasn't much of a breakdown surrounding cost and what we could expect in term of finances we had to do some research. Overall it was a great experience for someone who had no idea what to expect.
I recommend that you ask all the questions that you could at the initial consultation because you will not be able to have many opportunities' to do so. Come prepared with all of your questions written down so that you don't miss anything. She was very great about answering any questions or concerns.
The initial consultation the Dr. was very warm and welcoming but we hardly interacted with her following the initial visit. The Hospital we went to did a great job but it does not focus on the LGBT community so it was gray areas when it came to some of the care and resources.
We didn't have a specific nurse assigned to our care we pretty much encountered whoever was available during the times of necessary appointments. I don't recall having any bad experiences everyone was professional and had a friendly manner but it wasn't a one on one type of care feeling.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic had a overall good experience it's not as personalized that you would want it to be but everyone we encountered along the way had a very professional and friendly manner. I would like to see more resources geared toward the LGBT community and families. It would be great if you were assigned a personal nurse or had more of a one on one feeling with the doctor. We didn't know in the process that following the initial consultation we would not really meet with Dr. Bocca again. It did take 3 cycles over the course of 3 years so I guess the timing puts a strain on the process.
The Process for IUI cost average $345 per insemination, $50-$100 for consultation, $100 per hormone injection per cycle, $25 for co pays, suppositories averaged $40- $50, Ultra Sounds $50- $100, blood work $0.00 included with insurance

Anovulation, Male Factor
We [Dr. Bocca] was helpful however it was hard to get in contact with her. ... The appointment was so quick and felt rushed. ... It seemed like she didn’t care too much, but she was very knowledgeable in what she was talking about and explained things well. She said I wasn’t ovulating, but I’ve had positive results so I feel like she isn’t getting to the bottom of what’s really going on and why I’m not getting pregnant.
The front desk employees [at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine] are wonderful and very friendly. They remembered us every time and made us feel comfortable. It’s important to go in with a plan of what you want - the process is much slower than what you’d typically hope for. ... They [nurses] are not very warm and inviting. The doctors are more passionate than the nurses for sure.
Investment Banker
Anovulation, Male Factor
We was helpful however it was hard to get in contact with her. It seemed like she didn’t care too much, but she was very knowledgeable in what she was talking about and explained things well. She said I wasn’t ovulating, but I’ve had positive results so I feel like she isn’t getting to the bottom of what’s really going on and why I’m not getting pregnant.
Do your own research. Be your own advocate.
The appointment was so quick and felt rushed.
I have had all the testing done, from a HSG, ultrasounds, hormones tested, you name it and everything came back normal. I’ve had two IUI treatments & it was the same protocol both times (had to take an ovulation medicine then give myself a trigger shot in the belly the night before the IUI.) Husband went in the next morning and a few hours later than injected his sperm into me. Neither time I got pregnant.
They are not very warm and inviting. The doctors are more passionate than the nurses for sure.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The front desk employees are wonderful and very friendly. They remembered us every time and made us feel comfortable. It’s important to go in with a plan of what you want - the process is much slower than what you’d typically hope for.
Everything was out of pocket. The appointments were $40, plus bloodwork for me and my husband $100 each. Each IUI it cost for the ultrasound to check the eggs, and sperm analysis and insemination $2k. HSG was $600 I believe.

2019 - 2020
Dr B [Bocca] is very personable and I feel like she understood me. She always had a plan and was always willing to answer questions for me. ... We’ve had a few setbacks, but she’s Beene wonderfully supportive. She understands that I like plans, and she always has one for me. I can send her a message whenever with questions and she or her LPN answer quite promptly.
I love the Jones Institute! Everyone has been friendly and wonderful. The offices are efficient and I’m always taken back either early or right on time! Every person I’ve dealt with have been knowledgeable and compassionate. ... Every nurse I’ve had has been wonderful supportive and positive. They’ve answered questions or noted when I had questions.
2019 - 2020
Dr B has been so wonderful. We’ve had a few setbacks, but she’s Beene wonderfully supportive. She understands that I like plans, and she always has one for me. I can send her a message whenever with questions and she or her LPN answer quite promptly.
Go to your appointment with questions. She’ll give you as much time as you need to get answers.
Dr B is very personable and I feel like she understood me. She always had a plan and was always willing to answer questions for me.
We started with bloodwork and whatnot. I had an HSG and we realized I only had one tube. I had 2 MRIs to conclude I have UU. Then we started letrozole and ultrasounds every cycle, and trigger shots when I’m on my correct side. Once Covid-19 has passed, I’m having a hysteroscopy to see why it hasn’t worked yet.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Almost everything has been covered! My MRIs were about $1500, but other testing was covered. My letrozole is only $8 a month, my progesterone and ovidrel shout were $250 a pop.

2010 - 2019
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained, Other
During my time with Dr O [Oehninger]. He was very personable and I found him matter of fact and although resistant to my research he did listen to me and never belittled me. He wanted us to be successful and when things failed he was affected.... lab results and treatment plans lagged I had to push for results. Dr O was always hands on but was resistant to my research... something as simple as a thyroid test I have to push for and then request results and then wait to get the meds called in.
This clinic [Jones Inst for Repro Med] is only 1 of 3 available in this area and they can be very busy. At times I have felt only like a piggy bank and felt pushed aside and care going to desirable patients. I understand this is a teaching facility but they should be open to possible innovations.... nursing staff has opportunities they have not realized. Wendy has been the best although I feel she is overburdened because it takes so long to hear back from her.
2010 - 2019
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained, Other
During my time with Dr O. He was very personable and I found him matter of fact and although resistant to my research he did listen to me and never belittled me. He wanted us to be successful and when things failed he was affected.
Be prepared for a very busy man whose time is sought after
HSG, polyp removal, lab testing, dye test, endometrial biopsies, ERA
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Wendy Harrington)
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is only 1 of 3 available in this area and they can be very busy. At times I have felt only like a piggy bank and felt pushed aside and care going to desirable patients. I understand this is a teaching facility but they should be open to possible innovations.
I have spent over probably 80 thousand dollars trying to have a family
We never disused 1 versus 2 due to my age.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
not sure what you want ...something as simple as a thyroid test I have to push for and then request results and then wait to get the meds called in. Results are never my portal. There have been more than one time meds were never called into the pharmacy. I have had issues with insurance filling a particular prescription as written and had to stay on them to get the appropriate paperwork.

2014 - 2018
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
She [Dr. Pakrashi] is thorough, intelligent and extremely compassionate. I feel 100 percent comfortable under her care. She’s always optimistic yet honest at the same time. We have been through multiple failed cycles - both negative and miscarriages- and she is one of the reasons that I have the strength to keep going.... I have PCOS and poor egg quality. Her recommendation was IVF ICSI but we still owe from our last IVF cycle and our toddler is diabetic, so we can’t spend out of pocket money on another.
Wonderful doctors! They know their stuff- they won’t treat you like a number. Nursing staff [Jones Institute] could be better. Sometimes they get things confused and don’t follow up in a timely manner— other nurses do- it just depends. At the end of the day- it’s the doctors that matter and these ones are great... Nursing staff failed to call in my prescriptions twice... Some are good, and some are just ok. It depends on who you get.
2014 - 2018
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
She is thorough, intelligent and extremely compassionate. I feel 100 percent comfortable under her care. She’s always optimistic yet honest at the same time. We have been through multiple failed cycles - both negative and miscarriages- and she is one of the reasons that I have the strength to keep going.
Be upfront and honest about your concerns or fears. She really does care and she wants to know!
She is the most compassionate doctor I have ever seen.
I have PCOS and poor egg quality. Her recommendation was IVF ICSI but we still owe from our last IVF cycle and our toddler is diabetic, so we can’t spend out of pocket money on another. Since I have bad egg quality and I am 39, the goal is to get as many eggs as possible in hopes of finding a good one- like we did with my daughter!
Some are good, and some are just ok. It depends on who you get. I don’t have an assigned nurse bc we aren’t currently doing IVF
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Wonderful doctors! They know their stuff- they won’t treat you like a number. Nursing staff could be better. Sometimes they get things confused and don’t follow up in a timely manner— other nurses do- it just depends. At the end of the day- it’s the doctors that matter and these ones are great
We are 100 percent out of pocket do the cost is very high
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Nursing staff failed to call in my prescriptions twice
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Bocca was always very pleasant, open and honest with me. She told me when unexpected things came up during a cycle.... During my experience with Dr. Bocca I felt that she was very knowledgeable. However, I did not feel that she explained things as thoroughly as I would have liked. During my IUI the results from my husbands sample came back much lower than any other tests had. She did mention this to me during the procedure and noted that we would still have a small chance of it working.
The IUI procedure cost close to $1,200 with everything involved.... During my IUI process I felt very optimistic until the day of the procedure when we got the bad news about my husbands sample. I feel that people are spending a lot of money and the clinic [Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] does a good job to be accommodating to patients and they get you in and out so that you are not sitting around waiting for long periods of time.
During my experience with Dr. Bocca I felt that she was very knowledgeable. However, I did not feel that she explained things as thoroughly as I would have liked. During my IUI the results from my husbands sample came back much lower than any other tests had. She did mention this to me during the procedure and noted that we would still have a small chance of it working. however, I got the idea that she knew it probably wasn't going to work, so I'm wondering if we even should have gone through with it or waited to find out what was going on from his end.
When she tells you something during an appointment don't feel that you need to just go with it and let them be on their way. Ask the Dr. to sit down and explain things to you thoroughly.
Dr. Bocca was always very pleasant, open and honest with me. She told me when unexpected things came up during a cycle. She was very sympathetic when my IUI and transfer did not work and was ready to get back to work to figure out what we could do next time.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I think that this is a great clinic. During my IUI process I felt very optimistic until the day of the procedure when we got the bad news about my husbands sample. I feel that people are spending a lot of money and the clinic does a good job to be accommodating to patients and they get you in and out so that you are not sitting around waiting for long periods of time.
The IUI procedure cost close to $1,200 with everything involved.
+ Read more- Read less

I genuinely felt safer in my decision process knowing she [Dr. Bocca] was behind them. She was easy to talk to and gave great advice and didn’t make me feel like an idiot for asking hundreds of questions! She helped guide us to make decisions that worked best for us!...So we had come to a cross roads where we could go towards IVF , but she wanted us to try an ovulation induction that required a lot more medication including injectibles - follistim and ovidrel
Sometimes EVMs is difficult with their billing - I had been charged double in the past but once i brought it to their attention they fixed it immediately!! They never have a problem if I’m running late due to traffic and can squeeze me in - so grateful!!!...[Nursing Staff] Eager and willing to answer my hundreds of questions and with a smile on their face...my blood work didn’t get picked up with the rest of the blood work - it wasn’t an emergency situation where timing was vital but glad it wasn’t
I genuinely felt safer in my decision process knowing she was behind them. She was easy to talk to and gave great advice and didn’t make me feel like an idiot for asking hundreds of questions! She helped guide us to make decisions that worked best for us!
Be honest with her about your feelings, she won’t know unless you tell her
I can tell the genuine care i her voice and actions in helping us choose options
So we had come to a cross roads where we could go towards IVF , but she wanted us to try an ovulation induction that required a lot more medication including injectibles - follistim and ovidrel - my body reacted positively and we were able to conceive : unfortunately that pregnancy ended up in miscarriage after 10 weeks and 2 days but we had not been able to get pregnant before this so truly grateful to continue with Dr Bocca on this journey!
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance didn’t cover it with one job, and now it does
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
It wasn’t the clinics fault - my blood work didn’t get picked up with the rest of the blood work - it wasn’t an emergency situation where timing was vital but glad it wasn’t