Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
729 Thimble Shoals Road
Newport News, VA 23606
601 Colley Ave
Norfolk, VA 23507
2075 Glenn Mitchell Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
757-446-7100
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
Jones' strength is that they are part of a Medical School, so a few times I had students in the room during appointments and some procedures. The Doctor will ask you first if you are comfortable with the student in the room. I liked that Jones is part of a Medical School because I felt like they would be at the cutting-edge of research. They are also doing studies at the clinic, and I would have participated if I qualified because I wanted to help study fertility (and also get some discounts!). I loved that there was a team of doctor's so I never had to worry about my doctor being sick the day of a transfer or retrieval (this is the stuff you worry about at a solo-doctor clinic after you spend tens of thousands on a drug protocol for the weeks leading up to "the big day".) I also liked how there was more than one doctor looking at my case because you get more expertise weighing in. Weakness would be the clinical setting if you want a super sensitive, hand-holding experience.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Stadtmauer is very clinical in her approach to patient care - I would say limited on the warm and fuzzies - but you can tell she has compassion and empathy for her patients. And she is very, very knowledgable about fertility issues and felt like she never spoke down to me or was short with me when I asked a hundred questions.
The nursing staff were very warm. They take the time to answer all your questions and they are incredibly responsive via the portal. Same day, if not within hours, usually!
How was your experience with Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Strengths - very smart, patiently answers all questions, is direct and no-nonsense and explains everything very well. Weaknesses - she's not the hand-holding, warm and fuzzy type of doctor. But I did not need that at all since this was my third cycle and I felt pretty good about what to expect at that point.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
She's no nonsense.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
We qualified for a "buy two cycles, get your third for free - or receive half your money back" program and that put my mind at ease!
Describe Laurel Stadtmauer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
I only had one embryo to use so this does not apply.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
The clinic [Jones Institute] has been doing this longer than any other in the country. Framed photos of annual Mother's Day picnics with families the clinic has assisted are inspiring at first, but more painful to see after years without success.... Payment was easy, and the clinic-provided installment billing plan for big-ticket fertility treatment was helpful... Unfortunately the clinic insists on useing a "Patient Portal" system which is a gatekeeper to communication with doctors and nurses. The only effective way to communicate in real time is in person at an appointment. T
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic has been doing this longer than any other in the country. Framed photos of annual Mother's Day picnics with families the clinic has assisted are inspiring at first, but more painful to see after years without success. But the clinic also partners with Operation Hope/RESOLVE, and connecting to that organization was helpful in finding support and dealing with the heartbreak. Many prescriptions from the clinic get routed and rerouted through a lot of unnecessary bureaucracy. As with every other medical estabilishment we've dealt with, bills and insurance decisions are incomprehensible. Payment was easy, and the clinic-provided installment billing plan for big-ticket fertility treatment was helpful (half up front, rest spread over 6 months with no interest) although there was a glitch with the automatic payment system. Unfortunately the clinic insists on useing a "Patient Portal" system which is a gatekeeper to communication with doctors and nurses. The only effective way to communicate in real time is in person at an appointment. The "portal" system was consistenly an obstruction to communication and care. Eventually we learned what almost everything was routed through one specific nurse assigned to our doctor, and we believe much of the problem was with that individual, but the system itself was flawed in theory and practice. We are hopeful that since our doctor has now retired, we may have a different gatekeeper nurse when we begin treatment with a new doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. O was friendly and offered encouragment when the facts and odds supported it. He also kept a professional distance, but some difficult news was relayed in an abrupt manner which made it more difficult to hear.
Almost the entire nursing staff was very friendly, professional, and helpful in person. Their ability to draw blood from a patient with hard-to-find veins (my wife) varied significantly. Blood was drawn at every check-up, and I don't think they got her on the first try more than once or twice out of dozens of visits. Often it took 3 or 4 tries, and switching to less common and more painful areas. One nurse, who unfortunately managed most of our phone and internet communication with the rest of the staff, was much less helpful than anyone else on the staff. Numerous times our messages were relayed with significant delay as well as inaccurately with regard to tone or even content. We dreaded communicating through the clinic's phone or internet "portal" for this specific reason, and feared any complaint would lead to even worse service from the same nurse. Several times I suggested switching our next treatment to different clinic, even though we were quite happy with almost everything else at this one, specifically because of this nurse and the "portal" communication system. Managing prescriptions from local pharmacies was nightmare, due to convoluted preauthorization rules and documents to be routed back through clinic bureaucracy (combined with the fact the insurance covered almost nothing yet they kept trying to get approval). This often delays which sometimes came close to impacting treatment. However, Mandell's mail-order pharmacy (mostly for injections) was incredibly accomodating and easy to work with, aside from the unavoidable requirement to be home when the medicine was delivered.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
How was your experience with Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. O has a long history of success in the field, and decades of experience which began working directly under the doctor who pioneered IVF in the US. He excells at giving informed, detailed comparisons between different established treatment options. Our discussions led us first to try 4 rounds of IUI, the first 3 each leading to a very early miscarriage, and the last failing to develop a viable egg. Between attempts, he was very hands-off. We had to initiate the next step on our own when some encouragement would have been helpful. When we had consultations to determine the next course of actions, he didn't always seem as familiar with our treatment history as I would have liked. After the unsuccessful IUIs, we asked again about the clinic's donor embryo program which had been briefly discussed in our first visit, and decided it was the next best step. After being matched with a frozen embryo suprisingly quickly and completing other prequisites of the program, Dr. O implanted the one embryo which survived the thaw. The first couple weeks of pregnancy progressed normally, but after some minor bleeding we were brought in for an early ultrasound and the dosage of progesterone injections was doubled as a precaution. However, there was additional bleeding and discharge a couple weeks later, and another ultrasound showed the pregnancy was lost. At that point, Dr. O was careful not to give us any false hope as we scheduled addtional follow-ups. However, he did not prepare us for the extremely unpleasant and painful side effects of the medications to induce completion of the miscarriage. That experience culminated in a 2am emergency room visit, narcotics to manage the pain, and another ultrasound the next morning when the clinic was open. After this last visit, Dr. O retired and we expect to be transferred to one of his colleagues, most of whom we met at one point or another.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Not applicable since he is now retired.
Describe the protocols Sergio Oehninger used in your cycles at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We tried 4 rounds of IUI, the first 3 each leading to a very early miscarriage, and the last failing to develop a viable egg. Since my wife has never had regular cycles, medication was needed to trigger it each time. Each time there were one or two visits to ultrasound the ovaries and measure follicles before a viable one was identified and our IUI was scheduled. Semen analysis showed slightly low count each time but good motility. Every completed IUI let to a positive home pregnancy test, followed within days by a negative test. Due to the repeated failures of IUI, we decided that implanting a donated embryo was the next best option. After being matched with a frozen embryo suprisingly quickly and completing other prequisites of the program, Dr. O implanted the one embryo which survived the thaw. The first couple weeks of pregnancy progressed normally, but after some minor bleeding we were brought in for an early ultrasound and the dosage of progesterone injections was doubled as a precaution. However, there was additional bleeding and discharge a couple weeks later, and another ultrasound showed the pregnancy was lost. At that point, Dr. O was careful not to give us any false hope as we scheduled addtional follow-ups. However, he did not prepare us for the extremely unpleasant and painful side effects of the medications to induce completion of the miscarriage. That experience culminated in a 2am emergency room visit, narcotics to manage the pain, and another ultrasound the next morning when the clinic was open. After this last visit, Dr. O retired and we expect to be transferred to one of his colleagues, most of whom we met at one point or another.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
Roughly $15,000 for 4 IUI attempts, donor embryo program and transfer, medication, and associated tests.
Describe Sergio Oehninger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
We were very confused by apparently conflicting information about the number of frozen donated embroys available to us for implantation, and how many survived which stages of the process. This was eventually mostly cleared up, but it took several discussions with different people. However, the clinic policy of not allowing more than two embryos to be implanted was always clear.
Norfolk
This is a big, productive group. They [Jones - Norfolk] produce results for lots of people but they are by no means perfect. Prepare yourself for appointments, advocate and research on your own behalf, and don't get too worked up when they make mistakes or goof up small things.... Sometimes in the hustle and bustle of the clinic, I feel they miss some critical details in patient files.... [Cost Of Treatment] $250/IUI plus drug costs
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
This is a big, productive group. They produce results for lots of people but they are by no means perfect. Prepare yourself for appointments, advocate and research on your own behalf, and don't get too worked up when they make mistakes or goof up small things.
I feel that because we were diagnosed with male factor infertility and needing donor sperm, and nothing was super obviously wrong with me, he brushed us off as an easy case.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
The nursing staff there is great.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
We we're diagnosed through Dr. O and Dr. Brough with azoospermia/male factor infertility. Upon receiving that diagnosis, my husband and I took break for several months before jumping in to treatment. When we ordered our donor sperm and got started with treatment, I don't think my file was reevaluated or not. We jumped right in to three natural IUI cycles , the first of which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. After that, we did two more cycles with letrozole and trigger. Every time I went for ultrasounds, everything looked great. When we had our last meeting before going in for our sixth and final IUI, Dr. O seemed to brush off any of my concerns and requests doe further testing on me to see if there was anything that we could address easily before the next go. It wasn't until after I stopped going to Dr. O that we discovered my blood pressure was significantly above normal range and that my T4 levels were way off normal range, as well. We are happy with our new doctor and wish Dr. O all of the best, but he was not the right fit for us.
Ask questions. ALWAYS. Ask for copies of all of your test results and research on your end that you are within normal ranges.
3 natural IUI cycles with donor sperm with monitoring on day 12. (The first of those three resulted in a chemical pregnancy) 2 donor sperm IUI cycles with 5 days of letrozole 5mg per day, trigger shot, and 10 days of progesterone.
$250/IUI plus drug costs
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Other
They [Jones Inst for Repro Med] have lots of success and lots of patients. I didn't learn early on just how much you have to advocate for yourself, ask questions and if you need to, be a thorn in their side until you get the answers or attention you feel you deserve.... $250 per IUI, plus the cost if the sperm and medication. I've gotten quotes for IVF with ICSI at $12,000ish.... When you are using donor sperm, it sucks to have a nurse at the clinic ask your husband for his sample.
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Other
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
They have lots of success and lots of patients. I didn't learn early on just how much you have to advocate for yourself, ask questions and if you need to, be a thorn in their side until you get the answers or attention you feel you deserve.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
I first worked with another doctor prior to seeing Dr. Bocca. The differences between the two in their bedside manner is astounding. You can tell she actually cares about her patients and their partners and truly wants the best for them. She explained thoroughly why she wanted to explore a certain protocol and was open to answering questions, no matter how long it took, rather than casually brushing them off as me being a worrywart who Google's too much.
They are great!
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
How was your experience with Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Bocca clearly loves what she does. I appreciate how much care she put into taking over my file after I stopped going to another doctor. She carefully reviewed my file and articulated next steps in a way that both my husband and I felt comfortable with. We are diagnosed with male factor infertility and we both felt that with our other doctor, my husband was cut completely out of the discussion but doctor Bocca is great about including both of us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Come with questions and a notepad. She's great!
Describe the protocols Silvina Bocca used in your cycles at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We did five donor sperm IUI cycles with another doctor. Three natural and two with letrozole and trigger shot, and progesterone. After Dr Bocca took over my file, she thought it'd be helpful to do a hysteroscopy. In that procedure, she found and removed a few uterine polyps, we will be pursuing a sixth IUI cycle with letrozole and gonal f, trigger shot and progesterone.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
Describe Silvina Bocca's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
N/A.
Norfolk
This clinic's strengths are they [Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine] have a well known rate of pregnancies dated back many years. The Dr.'s all work together and make decisions daily together about the patients. I never had trouble getting an appointment and all messages sent through the patient portal were always received and responded to in a timely manner.... Dr. Oehninger answered all questions that I had for him.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic's strengths are they have a well known rate of pregnancies dated back many years. The Dr.'s all work together and make decisions daily together about the patients. I never had trouble getting an appointment and all messages sent through the patient portal were always received and responded to in a timely manner.
At first he said very little the few times that I saw him during my stimulation appointments. I currently met with him again for a consultation to discuss my future protocol and get his advice and he was very helpful. He looked at and explained many of the results from my first failed transfer. He told me what we would do differently next time and was able to give me his expertise on some concerns that I had about cysts they found last time. He also had research to back up this expertise.
Dr. Oehninger answered all questions that I had for him. During my stimulation cycle at appointments where I saw him quickly for an ultrasound there were always other doctors in the room and he let them take the lead and explain to me although it seemed he was the one making the decisions. When it was one on one during the consultation I felt that this Dr. was more personable and shared his experience and expertise with me regarding what I should do next.
He has a quiet and serious demeanor. If you have questions ask them
During my IVF cycle I took Follistim, menopur and ganirelix. After the transfer I was on progesterone oil injections and estrogen patches. During this cycle they found that I have 2 endometrioma cysts. This protocol resulted in 5 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized and 2 being transferred.
Virginia Beach
The clinic [Jones] is generally quick to get a new patient in. It is likely due to that process that patients are not coddled. It is very straight forward. In and out during ultrasound and bloodwork visits. The nursing staff was very nice and accommodating during our retrieval and transfer appointments...The institute scheduled our cycle based on the number of people entering the clinic. All of our scheduled appointments were set up to maximize the number of patients per day.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is generally quick to get a new patient in. It is likely due to that process that patients are not coddled. It is very straight forward. In and out during ultrasound and bloodwork visits. The nursing staff was very nice and accommodating during our retrieval and transfer appointments. We only had 3 eggs with one mature which had a failed transfer. Our retrieval procedure time was very short. Aspirations took under half an hour. All indications pre retrieval, showed we had at least 8 eggs. After speaking with another clinic, they informed us that their retrieval was much more thorough. It is for this reason we believe we had a failed cycle.
The Jones Institute is obviously a very reputable clinic. That is the main reason my wife and I chose it. The institute scheduled our cycle based on the number of people entering the clinic. All of our scheduled appointments were set up to maximize the number of patients per day. It is for this reason that I feel we did not get the attention we wanted. It just seemed like we were another customer just running through the line.
The nursing staff was very nice. There did not seem to be much communication between the nurses and between the nurses and doctors.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Oehninger is a very competent physician. We initially liked him because of his bluntness about the procedures and statistical chances of having a child. As days went past during our cycle, it seemed as if we heard less and less from him. He was not available in at least two of our ultrasounds, which to us was a very important time to speak to us. The other physicians conducting the ultrasound screening were not up to date with our progress. Dr Oehninger was not there for our egg retrieval which was very disappointing.
Don't expect coddling. He is very thorough in procedural explanation but definitely do research and ask questions.
We used an antagonistic approach
We went with a single cycle option. There was an available shared risk program that was double for a single cycle.
Multiple embryo transfer was explained to us. The Jones institute protocol was to transfer up to two embryos only.
Norfolk
The clinic [Jones Institute] is great about communication especially through the patient portal. I did call the on-call line and did not receive a call back which was a little concerning, but it was not an emergency so it wasn't a huge issue. I was calling because I got my period on a weekend and needed to schedule an appointment for the following Monday morning. I also showed up once for an appointment that they said they did not have on their schedule. They had provided me with an appointment slip confirming the appointment. They were still able to see me I just had to wait. I have had to wait over an hour on a couple occasions.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is great about communication especially through the patient portal. I did call the on-call line and did not receive a call back which was a little concerning, but it was not an emergency so it wasn't a huge issue. I was calling because I got my period on a weekend and needed to schedule an appointment for the following Monday morning. I also showed up once for an appointment that they said they did not have on their schedule. They had provided me with an appointment slip confirming the appointment. They were still able to see me I just had to wait. I have had to wait over an hour on a couple occasions.
I feel Dr. Bocca is compassionate and empathetic. I do not feel rushed with Dr. Bocca and she answers my questions very thoroughly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Shannon and Heather )
The nurses who I have been communicating over the patient portal, Shannon and Heather, have been extremely helpful. They answer questions very quickly.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Bocca has been helpful providing guidance regarding my diagnosis and recommendations for treatment. She has also been honest about the success of certain treatments. I was a little deterred from seeing her again as during our second conversation she initially only recommended an egg donor due to my diagnosis, but after another face-to-face appointment where my spouse was also present, she discussed the diagnosis a little further and what other options might be available.
I would definitely schedule regular appointments with her (perhaps monthly) to check-in and determine next steps for treatment. Ask questions and educate yourself on the options that she presents.
We wanted to try an initial protocol to try to conceive through timed intercourse as the least aggressive/invasive option. She recommend ovulation induction with a trigger shot and progesterone suppositories. The medication that we used for induction was gonal-f, which is an injectable. We are currently on our second month of treatment. If this cycle is not successful, she has recommended that we attempt IVF on the next few months to determine the quality of my eggs.
Two months of injections with timed intercourse have cost us over $4000.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
The nursing staff at the Jones is absolutely some of the best nursing staff I’ve ever worked with....The front desk isn’t always quick and the Virginia Beach office shares with another clinic so the wait time is always super long. I don’t suggest going there if I can avoid it. You will see all the doctors at the clinic while there and all of them are great! They have amazing residents and I always appreciate the learning atmosphere.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
The front desk isn’t always quick and the Virginia Beach office shares with another clinic so the wait time is always super long. I don’t suggest going there if I can avoid it. You will see all the doctors at the clinic while there and all of them are great! They have amazing residents and I always appreciate the learning atmosphere. I feel like a teaching school is always best for a patient because they are always interested in educating.
Dr Bocca is very patient and supportive. Even with not so good news I’ve been very happy with her treatment and encouragement
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Margo)
The nursing staff at the Jones is absolutely some of the best nursing staff I’ve ever worked with. And when you do this enough you really spend a lot of time with them. My Ivf coordinator is so compassionate. After my dnc procedure today I had hugs and support from every nurse i came in contact with. That’s HUGE. every appointment they always check on you and want to be sure your emotions are ok.
Dr Bocca is very intelligent and knows her stuff. She has a way of being compassionate yet very direct in communication. I have always felt like she has my interest at heart. I’ve lost two babies to miscarriage in this process so there have been times where she is quick to diagnose. I think it shows her knowledge and sometimes it’s helpful to spend more time. However she is always willing to do whatever I need to do to make things easier to process.
In the beginning she is difficult to see because she is so popular. Probably one of the hardest to get an appointment with. But she is very knowledgeable about many things when it comes to endometriosis.
For my retrieval process I started with Lupron due to having endometriosis. I overstimulated this cycle and they canceled a fresh transfer due to being hospitalized. I think that was a good move because I was sick for a very long time. For frozen transfer I used patches/pills and IM progesterone. The first cycle we transferred 2 blasts and had successful twin pregnancy. We did lose one baby in the first trimester. Second frozen transfer was completed this month with success and literally completed a DNC this morning to complete the miscarriage. We have now decided to do genetic testing as a result of this due to losing to babies with viable heartbeats.
The medications were some of the most expensive. I spent 4000 on meds for first cycle. I did have insurance pick up some of price but the most helpful thing is they bill me whatever is contracted pricing. I’ve had to pay for two frozen transfers which are a couple thousand each time. However I’ve had other experiences such as OHSS they required several days in a hospital. I’ve also just recently had to have a dnc due to missed miscarriage. All these extra costs are outside the normal fertility treatment.
Our clinic was ok transferring one blast due to the high quality of embryos I had. Initially I was ok with twins and we transferred two but we did not continue that the next transfer
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
Reaching the clinic [Jones - Norfolk] via the phone is very easy, straight forward, and a wonderful experience. The receptionist and nurses are pleasant and helpful over the phone. The portal online has been a good resource to use, although a few times I have gotten delays in responses a little longer than expected or hoped....Dr. Stadtmauer's billing team has done a fantastic job making sure billing procedure codes are properly done to ensure coverage is effective.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
Reaching the clinic via the phone is very easy, straight forward, and a wonderful experience. The receptionist and nurses are pleasant and helpful over the phone. The portal online has been a good resource to use, although a few times I have gotten delays in responses a little longer than expected or hoped. Wait times have been average, although they could be better. Getting an appointment is sometimes hard, but with a busy office that is expected.
During my first appointment with Dr. Stadtmauer, she was very attentive, understanding, and communicated well with me. I had a good knowledge of my diagnosis and she was able to answer my questions more directly, while giving me a piece of mind and reassuring me she was confident in treatment options, which was very relieving. The only downfall I would have to say was that due to having to come multiple times a week for appointments and measurements, I would sometimes see other physicians who were not updated on my care or aware of my concerns and diagnosis at all, almost as if they had not read my chart at all. I did not have a problem seeing another physician, but was never notified, and struggled to communicate and get my questions answered when meeting with someone other than Dr. Stadtmauer.
The nurses were all very supportive and always showed compassion and were very uplifting even after appointments with not so great news. They always had smiling faces, know me by name, and are always VERY helpful via phone, in office and in the exam rooms.
I loved Dr. Stadtmauer and her communication. She never lets me speak negatively and is always assuring me there are new medications and treatments to try. She reminds me my diagnosis is common, I am young, and she has more positive outcomes than negative outcomes in my case and is always excited to see me and start another round. She makes me excited to come and see her and not dread another failed cycle like I have in the past.
Be open! She is there to communicate with and she will not be able to fully express her medical advice and expertise if you don't explain all the problems. She is VERY knowledgeable and very willing to take the next step to ensure her patients are happy and comfortable.
Describe the protocols Laurel Stadtmauer used in your cycles at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
So far, I have used Letrozole and Clomid to help release mature follicles before IUI. Because I have PCOS, I do not ovulate on my own and have to take Progesterone to bring on my cycle. Because of this, I can go months with no cycle, resulting in very heavy cycles once I take the Progesterone. Dr. Stadtmauer was able to help track my follicle growth and measurements of my lining to ensure proper timing of ovulation, as heavy cycles resulted in longer cycles and threw of normal schedules. Unfortunately, after three cycles of Letrozole, she was unable to find mature follicles to be released by the trigger shot so we are going to repeat this process with Clomid next month.
The office visits with Dr. Stadtmauer were covered by my insurance, with just a copay being patient responsibility. The ultrasound appointments were covered and billed correctly, which was a relief, as some in the past have been billed as experimental and not covered. All lab tests have been covered as well. Dr. Stadtmauer's billing team has done a fantastic job making sure billing procedure codes are properly done to ensure coverage is effective. I have gotten a break down of costs up front before vists and ultrasounds with the price in case my insurance was to deny or not cover the services so I am aware of the costs before the services are rendered.
This has not been an option in my care yet.
Other, Unexplained
The clinic [Jones Institute for Repro Med] is slow to post payments, so make sure you keep all your receipts. Also, they are slow to submit bills to the insurance company. The staff is overall friendly and they return phone calls quickly.... The overall cost of IUI including medicine was close to $3000.... Some nurses were poor communicators (ie: their directions weren’t clear) and some weren’t very friendly but overall I had a good experience with the nursing staff.
European, Middle Eastern
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is slow to post payments, so make sure you keep all your receipts. Also, they are slow to submit bills to the insurance company. The staff is overall friendly and they return phone calls quickly.
I never feel rushed when I meet with Dr. Bocca, she takes the time to answer all my questions.
Dr. Bocca is patient, a great communicator and is easy to understand. She doesn’t use too much medical jargon and fully explains all procedures and possible outcomes. She always takes the time to answer all my questions and concerns.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and request alternative medications (for instance, if you know of a cheaper option).
I tried IUI twice earlier this year. Each time, I started with five days of femara, cd 3-7. Day 8 I would go for an ultrasound and they would prescribe my dosage of menopur. I would do 3-5 days of shots of menopur while getting ultrasounds every few days to check my egg growth. Once they were a good size (she liked 17 or larger). When my eggs were large enough, I would take the ovidrel trigger shot. Within the next 36hrs my husband and I would go in for the IUI. I did femara and menopur because dr. Bocca said she wanted to see two large eggs at the time of IUI and I had a history of only one egg from just the femara alone.
The overall cost of IUI including medicine was close to $3000.
Anovulation, Other, Unexplained
The nurses [Jones Institute] were hard to get ahold of frequently and sometimes I had to leave multiple messages to hear back.... I had occasional problems getting progesterone refills/ prescriptions faxed to the pharmacy . I also sometimes didn’t get calls back with results until after the time window they told me I would get a response within... Strengths: Dr boccas bedside manner and compassion. She is helpful, but if you want hard numbers/ chances of success, I didn’t hear much of that. Weaknesses: communication with the nursing team/ front desk. The patient portal/ voicemail system most of the time gets a response
Anovulation, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: Dr boccas bedside manner and compassion. She is helpful, but if you want hard numbers/ chances of success, I didn’t hear much of that. Weaknesses: communication with the nursing team/ front desk. The patient portal/ voicemail system most of the time gets a response, but sometimes you need to leave more than one message.
Dr Bocca herself spent plenty of time talking and consulting with us, but the team at Jones was hard to get to respond and get a straight answer from sometimes
The nurses were hard to get ahold of frequently and sometimes I had to leave multiple messages to hear back. I would recommend Dr Bocca a lot more highly than her nursing staff
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Bocca did a good job of explaining treatments to us, and took plenty of time to talk to us. After my 11 week miscarriage, she had a nice long appointment to talk to us. Dr Bocca is compassionate and caring. However, I didn’t get a whole lot of statistics from her or numbers when it came to my chances of success with different courses of treatment. Sometimes her nurses have trouble communicating with her (as in the nurses didn’t get back to me)
Do some research on treatment options/ infertility basics before you meet with Dr Bocca or any doctor. Be sure you are your own advocate when communicating with Dr Bocca’s team- they don’t always get back to you.
We did two cycles of clomid/ letrozole with cycle day intercourse/ ultrasound/ ovidrel injection. Then we did two rounds of injectable hormones with monitoring and timed intercourse. I got pregnant the second time. All signs looked positive and things were going perfectly until I miscarried at 11 weeks due to a trisomy 14 abnormality. We then did one more cycle of injectables and iui with a chemical pregnancy. We have now moved on to ivf at another clinic that has a shared risk/ money back guarantee program and higher success rates when I comes to ivf.
My insurance covered our ultrasounds when we did timed intercouse with pills or injections. However, it did not cover any of our drugs or ultrasounds with iui. We spent roughly $1500/ month each cycle we tried
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
The Jones Institute has a wonderful reputation and is extremely convenient. And the nursing team in the clinic OR is spectacular. But with only one IVF coordinator nurse, it can be hard to get a hold of someone if you want to ask questions and receive immediate feedback. You have to be a patient patient.... There’s been a lot of turnover in the staffing of the primary IVF coordinator (we’ve worked with three different people in the last 9 months).
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
Like with all medical care, it’s important to remember that you are the only one advocating for yourself. You need to keep organized and make sure you follow up as needed. The Jones Institute has a wonderful reputation and is extremely convenient. And the nursing team in the clinic OR is spectacular. But with only one IVF coordinator nurse, it can be hard to get a hold of someone if you want to ask questions and receive immediate feedback. You have to be a patient patient.
Dr Stadtmauer always makes me feel like we have options, even if it’s not what we first imagined. She’s matter of fact but very calm and caring
There’s been a lot of turnover in the staffing of the primary IVF coordinator (we’ve worked with three different people in the last 9 months). But everyone has been very kind, very patient, and very understanding.
She’s not phased by surprises or needs to make adjustments to plans, which really helps to keep me calm. When I didnt respond fast enough to the first round of IVF stimulation, she quickly changed course, adjusted meds, and moved forward. She also provided me with natural supplements (at my request) instead of more pills when I wanted to deal with blood sugar issues. Her confidence and experience make everyone feel safe and cared for.
Trust her experience and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
We added human growth hormone to my first and second round of stimulation because I wasn’t responding fast enough to standard meds. This helped a lot. We also waited an extra day for the last stimulation before retrieval because she knew it took my body more time to develop the right size eggs.
We were very lucky to have IVF covered by our United HealthCare plan, so none of the services were painfully expensive except the medications (around $8K per round) and anesthesia, around $2K at first, but then cheaper once I hit my insurance deductible.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
Valerie [nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] was awesome in helping to order meds and explaining the process. The other nurses were awesome, especially Shakena. They made sure I was comfortable at each appointment and that I understood everything...The clinic has 3 locations, Norfolk, Virginia Beach and Newport News are great. The Norfolk location has the most equipment and most of the big services are done there. They are great at coordinating services wherever you are located.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Stadt always made sure I understood the plan and made sure I was okay with whatever plan we decided. She never rushed through appointments and made sure she thoroughly knew my history and chart before each appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Valerie)
Valerie was awesome in helping to order meds and explaining the process. The other nurses were awesome, especially Shakena. They made sure I was comfortable at each appointment and that I understood everything.
Dr. Stadtmauer is the best doctor to go to. She is very knowledgeable about infertility and treatments. She will work with you on a course of action that you agrree with and give education on things you are unsure of. She will call you after procedures and treatments to see how you are ing. Outstanding physician.
Be honest and open with her. Let her know all of your issues and don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for a different treatment if you are not comfortable.
For the retrieval I used Gonal F, menopur and cetrotide. Not sure of the doses, but I used it for about 10 days before retrieval. I went to the doctor every other day to twst blood levels after a few days they start ultrasounds to check follicle size. The retrieval day, I came 2 hours early and once I went back they gave me anesthesia so I was out of it. Before I went back my husband gave his sample. So after I woke up we were told his sperm count and how many eggs were retrieved. 3 days after they called and told me how many made it to day 3 and day 4 they called and updated the number for transfer the next day. 1st and 2nd transfer were hard, full bladder and they had a hard time transferring. 1st ended in a chemical, 2nd negative test, 3rd Dr. Stadtmauer was there for and used a sydney transfer for my tilted uterus. Miscarried at 10 weeks. 2nd and 3rd transfer prep were estrogen patches and pills and progesterone shots
Sperm testing $120 Ultrasound $240 Pregnancy test $10 Transfer $3,895 Physician $75 -$85 Retrieval $11,240 Fertility meds $~$5,000
They always transfer two unless you ask for one or only have one. Three can be transferred after a certain number of tries and/or age.
Norfolk
It's a teaching hospital [Jones - Norfolk] so you never see the doctor you think you have an appointment with. There is usually a student also in your ultrasound.... The nurses were very kind and sweet but not organized and made me feel like I was alone sometimes.... I went in on a Saturday which was my cycle day 3 and was told I needed to take menopur the following night, which is a specialty drug that must be overnighted and I did not have any. I left in tears frantically trying to find menopur. That was the first of some other stressful visits.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
It's a teaching hospital so you never see the doctor you think you have an appointment with. There is usually a student also in your ultrasound. The nurses are kind but for sure have not been through infertility themselves. The doctors are very nice.
This is difficult to answer as Dr. Bocca was very accessible when she was in town. She is knowledgeable and had a wonderful bedside manner. Her nursing staff was very kind as well. I just felt like I was going through the usual infertility routine and fell through the cracks. There was no change in my treatment even though we asked at the first meeting to go right to IVF at any point in the beginning if it seemed necessary. Every month I just kept doing the same thing, that was not working. Then I found myself through a full calendar year with no change. It was stressful.
The nurses were very kind and sweet but not organized and made me feel like I was alone sometimes. After my first month of timed intercourse with injectables, I went in for appointments to see what's next. I went in on a Saturday which was my cycle day 3 and was told I needed to take menopur the following night, which is a specialty drug that must be overnighted and I did not have any. I left in tears frantically trying to find menopur. That was the first of some other stressful visits.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Bocca was very accessible when she was in town. She is knowledgeable and had a wonderful bedside manner. I just felt like I was going through the usual infertility routine and fell through the cracks. We completed round after round of timed intercourse with injectables. There was no change in my treatment even though we asked at the first meeting to go right to IVF at any point in the beginning if it seemed necessary. The only change was to try IUI and that was unsuccessful. Every month I just kept doing the same thing, that was not working. Then I found myself through a full calendar year with no change. It was stressful.
Do your own research and manage your calendar and meds yourself. Ask lots and lots of questions about what is next so that you are prepared and have your meds ready.
We completed round after round of timed intercourse with injectables. Twice out of the 12 months of being there, we tried IUI was was unsuccessful. Other than the IUI, every month I just kept doing the same thing, that was not working.
Since I was mostly getting blood draws and ultrasounds, the cost was ~$200-$400 a cycle. My insurance assisted some. For the monitoring patient only visits, they will not process through your insurance for you so it's $500-$600 a visit.
Norfolk
The Jones Institute is part of EVMS so you can expect extra sets of hands and eyes in the room in most cases...I would've strongly preferred to have received my monitoring results on a regular basis, instead of having to beg for them after the cycle was complete...I was also not pleased at how scarce the embryo development reports were...The nurse who handles blood draws is incredibly sweet. The OR nurses are really wonderful and compassionate, too....
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
I would've strongly preferred to have received my monitoring results on a regular basis, instead of having to beg for them after the cycle was complete. I kept being told everything was progressing great, but now that I have my blood results on paper, I see that maybe I could've been asking more questions along the way and perhaps our egg retrieval results wouldn't have been so utterly shocking. I think that they have so many patients it's easier for them to just shepherd you through the process and would rather you not have too many details, but I felt a bit like I was naively trusting a process that ended up failing. I was also not pleased at how scarce the embryo development reports were. I would've liked daily communication from the embryologist - but that may be wishful thinking on my part, and just not possible!
I rarely saw Dr. Oehninger once I started my cycle. Lower level staff or the other REs performed almost all of my monitoring ultrasounds, as well as my egg retrieval and transfer. You don't get to choose who performs your care and it's not consistent.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
I went into our IVF cycle expecting to be seen by Dr. Oehninger, as our assigned RE. I had really appreciated how much time and information he gave us at our consultation visits and looked forward to him being involved in my care. However, I didn't see him much during the monitoring cycle. Even when I did, a training doctor performed the actual ultrasound. The Jones Institute is part of EVMS so you can expect extra sets of hands and eyes in the room in most cases. My egg retrieval and subsequent transfer were both performed by another member of the practice. When my beta was negative, I would've liked to receive a call from Dr. Oehninger since he was my main RE. Instead, the RE who actually performed my transfer called.
Do your own research so you can keep up with him in conversations. He won't slow down to explain the basics for you automatically so educate yourself beforehand. Also, be prepared to not see him during your course of treatment as it just depends on the REs schedules.
I was given a standard antagonist protocol following three weeks of birth control. Despite great ultrasound monitoring results leading up to retrieval, the majority of my follicles didn't produce an egg at retrieval.
The baseline package was $11,500. Meds are of course purchased through a third party pharmacy, but the IVF coordinator really helped us out by telling us about a discount program we were able to apply for.
Had we had two viable embryos, Dr. O had planned to transfer two.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
Strengths [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine]: Extensive resources, Easy to communicate with via FollowMyHealth portal, large staff, good equipment Weaknesses: Occasionally long wait times to be seen, expensive, you won't always see your specific doctor, which can be good or bad depending on the situation. Sometimes it's nice to have another doctor's opinion, other times, the consistency of a dr. that knows you is better. BUT you can schedule as best as possible to always see the same dr.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: Extensive resources, Easy to communicate with via FollowMyHealth portal, large staff, good equipment Weaknesses: Occasionally long wait times to be seen, expensive, you won't always see your specific doctor, which can be good or bad depending on the situation. Sometimes it's nice to have another doctor's opinion, other times, the consistency of a dr. that knows you is better. BUT you can schedule as best as possible to always see the same dr.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Tarita is very understanding and listens to you as a patient very closely. She was very empathetic and highly responsive to all questions or concerns.
Most of the nurses here are excellent. In my first couple of cycles I had some problems with not receiving calls back to messages I would leave. However, in the past 3 cycles communication has improved significantly! Everyone is very friendly and nice.
How was your experience with Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Pakrashi is very supportive and knowledgable. She has an amazing bedside manner. I have been seeing her for 2 years now and therefore understand how to best communicate with her and receive recommendations. She is friendly and thorough in making sure I receive the care I need. She is also very responsive when I contact her with questions or concerns. I know that she and I share the same goals for my fertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Ask as many questions as possible and do not be afraid to re-ask the same questions or have information repeated back to you.
Describe the protocols Tarita Pakrashi used in your cycles at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Cycle 1: Letrozole + progesterone since we were still at the beginning of my fertility journey. With the addition of progesterone, I got pregnant, but ultimately it ended in an ectopic pregnancy. Surgery to remove right tube. Cycle 2: Letrozole. We did not add progesterone because I was ovulating on the side where my tube had been removed. I did get pregnant, but also ended in an ectopic pregnancy with methotrexate shot to manage it. Cycle 3: Gonal-F + progesterone with timed intercourse. Levothyroxine added to treat hypothyroidism and reduce TSH levels. The goal was to produce more eggs. However in this cycle it seemed most of the egg production was on my tubeless side. No pregnancy resulted. Cycle 4: Gonal-F + progesterone = IUI. The goal was to produce more eggs again and also plant the sperm closer to the egg. In my honest opinion the IUI concept is flawed and a bit of a waste of money. Perhaps if there had been multiple IUIs done during this cycle, it might have worked, but this resulted in no pregnancy. Cycle 5: IVF using Menopur, Follistim, Ganirellix. The goal was to implant embryos. I was on a relatively low dose of Menopur and Follistim. Despite these low dosages, I was unable to have the Hcg trigger because of the risk of OHSS. Dr. Pakrashi was very attentive in making sure I did not get to sick and was very on top of my care. I used a lupron trigger for the egg retrieval and all embryos were frozen. Cycle 6: Frozen Embryo Transfer using estrogen patches and tablets and Endometrin inserts. The amount of Endomentrin inserts was increased due to not enough progesterone in my system. Cycle ongoing...
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
Most of my care was done through claims submitted to my insurance agency and out of pocket expenses. They do not take Tricare, but will submit claims on your behalf. The process is frustrating because you receive checks that then need to be mailed to EVMS.
Describe Tarita Pakrashi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Pakrashi sat down with me to discuss the risks and rewards with eSET vs multiple embryo transfer however she ultimately left the decision to me as the patient and I elected to for multiple embryo transfer.
2009 - 2017
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
The coordinator [at Jones Institute] is a bit no nonsense. The nursing staff has some turn over but they are generally very nice. The retrieval team is different than the clinic nurses...fresh cycles were 15000 all inclusive but you got a discount for repeat business. Frozen cycles were around 5000, separate ultrasounds were 300, medications were not sold by the clinic and had to be purchased at specialty pharmacies... Who performs your retrieval and transfer is based on scheduling. They have Saturday and sunday appointments also. Sometimes the front desk is not as awesome as the rest of the clinic and hold times can be annoying if you call at a busy time. I do get phone calls returned within 24 hrs. There is also an on call doctor that I have talked ot numerous times. There are also 3 training fellows.
2009 - 2017
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is cutting edge and attached to the medical school They will do a good job of giving you realistic expectations. You will see almost all of the doctors in the practice whom have very different personalities. Who performs your retrieval and transfer is based on scheduling. They have Saturday and sunday appointments also. Sometimes the front desk is not as awesome as the rest of the clinic and hold times can be annoying if you call at a busy time. I do get phone calls returned within 24 hrs. There is also an on call doctor that I have talked ot numerous times. There are also 3 training fellows.
She was always very kind and sympathetic, even when I would get very intense. They always scheduled a free consultation after any cycle that did not work which was very important to us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Valerie Warsoff)
The coordinator is a bit no nonsense. The nursing staff has some turn over but they are generally very nice. The retrieval team is different than the clinic nurses.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
She has a very sunny disposition and a positive outlook. She has been my primary physician since 2009 for infertility and she has kept my hopes up when I was down. She is very focused on how I am 'feeling' and has been able to gently tell me things that I perhaps didn't want to hear. We had numerous frozen embryo failures and she told us to take a break for a few months to take the pressure off. She was also compassionate when we decided we had reached our last fresh cycle attempt.
If you want someone with glass half full, she is for you. If you are more of a glass half empty person or have trouble hearing bad news or set backs, you may want someone else.
We had minor issues for ourselves, but not enough to be guaranteed natural pregnancy. We did one cycle of IUI which failed and we decided we were better off doing full retrievals. We started on Lupron protocols which we did twice, we had one failed cycle because I was too suppressed by Lupron. They offered us our money back or to hold it for a new cycle. They put me on ganerilex instead and we went forward with three more full cycles. I also had enough frozen embroys for 8 other frozen cycles - only one took. I have 5 children now, 3 singletons and 1 set of twins. The program also got a new embroyologist recently who increased their blastocysts success rate to 60-70% survival. I have multiple blastocysts on ice. In that time Dr. Bocca stopped recommended day 3 transfers and went to day 5.
fresh cycles were 15000 all inclusive but you got a discount for repeat business. Frozen cycles were around 5000, separate ultrasounds were 300, medications were not sold by the clinic and had to be purchased at specialty pharmacies. 6 years ago IUI was 600
She originally recommended against multiple embryo transfers because I had gotten pregnant with two cycles back to back. I didn't mind twins so we started out on 2 embryos. When we failed and looked at our finances, we started doing 3 at a time. She recommended single blastocyst transfer also because of their increased twinning rates. I don't mind twins so I had 2 and 2 took. They never allowed you to put in more than 3.
2014 - 2017
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Nurses [Jones- Norfolk] are nice and knowledgeable....I enjoed my visits with Dr. Bocca because she's my primary doctor there and knows my chart. A lot of times for ultrasounds and IUIs, I would see a different doctor and it seemed as if they didn't read my chart so I had to remind them of things....Someone from her staff always replied to my emails....First visit - $190 Other visits -$60 Hysteroscopy $2,000 HSG -$600 IUI -$250 Sperm wash for IUI -$140...
2014 - 2017
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
I enjoed my visits with Dr. Bocca because she's my primary doctor there and knows my chart. Unfortunately I didn't always see her. A lot of times for ultrasounds and IUIs, I would see a different doctor and it seemed as if they didn't read my chart so I had to remind them of things.
Dr. Bocca took the time to explain all procedures to my husband and I. Someone from her staff always replied to my emails. After my hysteroscopy, which she performed, she called the next day to make sure I was doing ok.
Nurses are nice and knowledgeable.
Dr. Bocca is very nice and understanding. She seems knowledgeable. I felt like she has our best interest at heart. It's been easy to communicate with her and her staff. I found that if I call I might wait for a response but with an email I get a response within 24 hours.
Be prepared with questions (write them down). If you need to get in touch with her(her nurses) send an email using FMH (Follow My Health) portal. Don't stress about money- they work with you on payment plan.
I have PCOS and don't ovulate on my own, I also have one blocked tube. Dr. Bocca put me on Femara/Letrozole because it makes me produce more eggs than Clomid and the chances of ovulating on the side with open tube are higher. My husband has liw morphology so she recommended IUI. We tried 2 but they were unsuccessful. We're considering going straight to ivf now
My insurance didn't cover treatment: First visit - $190 Other visits -$60 Hysteroscopy $2,000 HSG -$600 IUI -$250 Sperm wash for IUI -$140
Endometriosis, Unexplained
I did feel like the coordinators and nurses [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] were lacking that quality. We often felt like numbers to them. Sometimes the sense of urgency was lost and even though it was our first IVF cycle, we felt like they expected us to know things we did not. While I wasn't overly impressed with the IVF coordinator, the business office was kind and courteous and we navigated this expensive treatment.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
While Dr. Stadtmauer made us feel like we were a team, I did feel like the coordinators and nurses were lacking that quality. We often felt like numbers to them. Sometimes the sense of urgency was lost and even though it was our first IVF cycle, we felt like they expected us to know things we did not. While I wasn't overly impressed with the IVF coordinator, the business office was kind and courteous and we navigated this expensive treatment.
Living 2 hours away from the Jones Institute, it was important for us to feel like our RE was part of our team. Dr. Stadtmauer took the time to meet with me as well as speak with me over the phone to answer questions I had so I wouldn't have to make the trip up. While I wasn't able to see her much during my cycle due to the way the schedule worked out, once it came time for my beta, she called with such genuine excitement and took the time to talk with me about my cycle (what went well/what didn't). I felt like she was celebrating with me. While I would have liked to see her more during my cycle, overall she made me feel like we were in this together.
They were very knowledgable, but I did just feel like a number. I also had a hard time getting a response from the nursing staff when questions arose.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Overall, my experience with Dr. Stadtmauer was a great one. I really felt like she was on our side and she listened to all my concerns. After 4 years of trying to conceive and failed treatments, she understood that I knew my body and she didn't try to talk us into or out of anything we didn't feel 100% comfortable with. As a self-pay patient, we were interested in the share-risk program and I believe she was a big advocate in helping us get approved for it. I do wish I was able to see her more through out my treatment, but with us living 2 hours away, the schedule didn't always work in our favor. However, all the doctors I saw in between very kind and made sure to answer all my questions if they arose. When it came time to hear the results of my beta, Dr. Stadtmauer called me personally and I could tell the genuine excitement in her voice. Although this was only my first round of IVF, I felt like we had been on this journey with her for longer and she was so happy for us. Overall, I would recommend working with Dr. Stadtmauer!
Make sure you are explicit about your goals, concerns, and expectations. When we had our consultation, she listened to our history and our past experiences and she adjusted our treatment based on that.
We did the shared risk program which included 2 fresh IVF cycles, frozen cycles until the embryos from the last retrieval were used up, ICSI, and cryopreservation which totaled $19,000. This did not include medication.
Dr. Stadtmauer listened to us and knew that we were comfortable with the transfer of two embryos if we had them. Two embryos were transferred and one took!
Norfolk
Overall the Jones institute is a really great place. The typical wait time was on occasion a bit lengthy but only for certain visits such as talking about medication and timeline. But overall easy to set up appointments and their communication was excellent. I always got a call back from the nursing staff right away or my Dr. The billing department was not the best to get a hold of. I always had to leave a voicemail and would maybe hear back 2 days later sometimes I would have to call back again. Once you got a hold of them they were knowledgeable but it wasn't fun to always get a VM.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Bocca was very personable and remembered specifics about our life. She was very thorough with her treatment plan and I really felt like she cared and was very knowledgeable which was comforting. She was very kind and always upfront with expectations. We are almost to our egg retrieval and she has been wonderful every step of the way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Valarie Warsof )
Our coordinator was very thorough and super straight forward with medication and timeline.
She has been amazing and very thourough with our treatment plan. We are a week away from retrieval and she has given us confidence every step of the way with the treatment plan. She was also easy to set appointments with which was amazing. She also recommended a specialist for my husband which made things smooth for our family planning.
Dr Bocca truly is one of the best Dr I have seen and she is very kind, upfront, and honest about treatment plans and expectations. Come with questions because she will take the time to go through everything in detail with you.
We have male factor infertility (blockage) and IVF with ICSI is our treatment option. We are currently doing stimulation leading up to our egg retrieval. We will then be implanting 2 embryos if all goes well with the retrieving and fertilization. Our fertility issues as a couple are male only and so far I have been on the low end for stimulation drugs (follistim) as my hormone level are good. Medication seems to be working great and my dosages for stims has stayed the same since starting 4 days ago (250cc). So far we are right on track with our treatment plan and have had no surprises.
1,500 - ICSI 12,000 - IVF w/ ICSI 2,757 - medication 400 - anesthesia Initial Consultations - 260 Hydrosonogram- 1,000 Pre blood work - 300
We decided to do 2 embryos for our first round as I am young and healthy. Our doctor would never do more than 2 and that is something we would not want either.
Virginia Beach
It was easy to make appointments around my schedule [at Jones Institute] . I just wish that my IUI could have been with my doctor… But we worked around my cycle schedule, so that was totally out of anyone else's control...[Nurses were...]Always friendly, pleasant, professional, and had a smile on their face. From getting negative pregnancy blood work, to showing me and my husband exactly how to do my hip injections, they were all awesome!
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
Love that I didn't have to drive across the water to Norfolk or VA Beach offices. It was easy to make appointments around my schedule. I just wish that my IUI could have been with my doctor… But we worked around my cycle schedule, so that was totally out of anyone else's control.
Even though she was very "book smart," she let me know from day one what our game plan was, and did eventually crack a smile with me.
She reminds me of a female Einstein. She is extremely knowledgeable. At our first meeting, I thought she wasn't really paying attention to me, but then I realized it was because she was thinking about all of my background history and a plan of action. I was able to leave my very first appointment much more confident, and with a clear idea of what our game plan was.
Don't give up! I went through a miscarriage, crazy hormones from the pills, and painful injections. It is all totally worth it when you finally get to hold your precious little one in your arms!
I have been on Clomid for eight months. My first month with her, she had me stop Clomid for an entire month to check to see if I would ovulate on my own. After finding out that my ovulation was good, she went ahead and started with a new drug, which ended up not working for me... didn't like all of the bad side effects. We switched back to Clomid, stomach injection, and timed intercourse. When that didn't work, we did clomid at a higher dose, the stomach injection, and then our IUI. At a certain point later that month, I began progesterone hip injections daily. Once I found out I was pregnant from the IUI, I continued the progesterone injections through the first 10 weeks.
My insurance covered any ultrasounds and bloodwork that were performed. All medications were out of pocket, but I used Avella pharmacy, and they were fantastic. For the IUI why procedure, I believe the part we had to pay after insurance was approximately $500.
I appreciate her explaining to me how important it was to get off all medication for the first month I was under her care. Even though I was eager to get pregnant, she thoroughly explained why it was important to research all possible reasons why I was having trouble getting pregnant.
Newport News
This clinic [Jones - Norfolk] is more of a "strictly business" kind of clinic. They are extremely busy and also shortstaffed which makes it difficult to get calls back or information sometimes. Definitely remember that you are your own best advocate. Take the time to research and plan for appointments with questions or concerns ahead of time...The main problem with the Jones Institute is communication...
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is more of a "strictly business" kind of clinic. They are extremely busy and also shortstaffed which makes it difficult to get calls back or information sometimes. Definitely remember that you are your own best advocate. Take the time to research and plan for appointments with questions or concerns ahead of time.
I felt like I was treated like a number sometimes because appointments felt really, really rushed. The appointments that I felt like I got the information that I needed were solely because I spent a lot of time prepping for the appointment myself like reading books and articles and coming in with a full list of questions to help guide the conversation. When I didn't do all of this pre-work, The appointments were very quick and my doctor just assumed which way we wanted to go wrote the plan out gave it to us and sent us on our way. I will say, that when our IVF cycle failed and when we were first diagnosed and very motional he did take the time to talk to us and coddle us a bit. I think that he recognizes that this is a very emotional journey for everybody however at the same time he knows that in order to be successful in a lot of cases you must move quickly. I think he also has so much experience specifically with male infertility that he generally knows the best decisions to make and because of that forgets that we've never been through this before so we may need it explained.
Dr. Oehninger's nurse, Heather, is amazing. Like him, she does not mess around and get straight to the point. However when you're doing 4-5 blood tests a week I appreciated this. She was lighthearted and easy to get along with and really showed compassion when you called in with a concern or question. The IVF Coordinator on the other hand is awful. She is extremely sarcastic and "hands off "so she truly looks at you like a number and nothing else. We had concerns over timing with her and tried to sit down with her to look at the schedule she had given us and she acted like she had absolutely zero time for us. When she was training us on how to do medications she rushed to the entire thing so my husband and I felt very uncomfortable and had to go back to our regular nurse for reassurance and retraining. She was horrible about calling us back so we basically had to harass her just to figure out how our embryos were doing during our IVF cycle. I think if someone came in and just helped her organize her self a little bit more she would be a lot more successful and reputable among patients.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Oehninger is extremely experienced and intelligent in his field. He is a little rough around the edges as far as bedside manner goes... meaning he is very cut and dry with giving you information and does not sugarcoat it at all. In some instances this worked very well for us because we wanted to get the show on the road but at other times we really kind of needed someone to talk to and we felt rushed. Overall though he is extremely professional, very respectful and you can tell that he truly has our best interest at heart .
Definitely take his advice because he certainly knows what he's talking about however take the time to prepare for appointments and write your questions down before hand otherwise you may forget with how fast he moves through protocol. Definitely be your own advocate. Lastly, don't take his abruptness to heart. Although he may move through appointments quickly he really does care about your success and will remember your quarks and situation dencently well.
We first went to Jones Institute after trying naturally for over a year. The first thing we were instructed to do was a sperm analysis due to the fact that this was cheaper than any female test. That report came back abnormal with extremely low sperm counts and due to the fact that I had regular cycles he encouraged us to move straight forward with IVF. We were unsuccessful and the ratio of eggs retrieved to five day embryo survival was very weak. He noted this in our plan and then encouraged us to save our money and really think hard about sperm donation. We took his advice and started our IUI treatments after that, we got pregnant on the first try. In the process of purchasing donor sperm doctor on anger did a great job referring us to a bank, answering all of our questions, helping us through genetic testing, and giving us advice on the emotional journey of choosing a donor.
IVF - $12000 IVF Meds - $4500 IUI - $265 Donor Sperm Storage - ~$300ish per year
2013 - 2016
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
[Jones - Norfolk] Strengths - amazing doctors, very knowledgeable. They will never turn down or deny a patient treatment just for the benefit of their stats. The site of the first IVF done in the USA, which is pretty cool. Comparably, they are WAY more affordable than the other clinic in Hampton Roads. The support staff, for the most part, is very kind and caring. Weakness - their donor egg program can use some vamping. They do not have very many in house donors...
2013 - 2016
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths - amazing doctors, very knowledgeable. They will never turn down or deny a patient treatment just for the benefit of their stats. The site of the first IVF done in the USA, which is pretty cool. Comparably, they are WAY more affordable than the other clinic in Hampton Roads. The support staff, for the most part, is very kind and caring. Weakness - their donor egg program can use some vamping. They do not have very many in house donors. It would be nice if they had non-anonymous donors or at least a choice for that, and a much larger pool of donors. If you don't use an agency/bring in your own donor, it can take a very long time to be matched with a donor. The embryologists don't give updates during cycling as a standard practice, which I found to be very difficult. The wait time for some appointments is quite long - the docs get caught up in their morning surgeries, and those waiting for ultrasounds can wait for quite awhile. Communication can be slow at times with nurses, coordinators, lab results, etc.
Dr. S is very responsive and receptive to all worries and concerns that I've had through the entire process. She answers all of my questions, and takes the time that we need to make sure we're both on the same page.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
I'm certainly a fan of Dr. S! She's very smart, and very open to have a conversation about your treatment options, which is important to me. She's professional, and will call you if you need to discuss some aspect of your treatment with her.
No one is a miracle worker. But Dr. S will definitely do her best to achieve your family goals.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
[Jones - Norfolk] I had a different nurse almost every time. A couple of them I liked and there were a couple that I didn't like. Some were just not very sensitive. They were fertile and you could tell that they did not understand the struggle....Dr. Stadtmauer took great care of me and my husband. She really allowed me to be involved in my treatment plan. She was very caring when we got bad news and she was excited with us when we got good news.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
I have severe infertility but because I was so young (early 20's), some doctors didn't take me seriously and told me and my husband to "keep trying on our own". We had been trying for 3 years before seeing Dr Stadtmauer. She took my infertility very seriously. She didn't waste our time, she got us pregnant. She allowed me to be involved in my treatment plan. She was willing to give us more advanced treatment to help my egg quality which resulted in my first healthy pregnancy and baby. For that, I will be forever grateful. I honestly don't think I could ask for a better doctor.
She's very open and listens to your wants and concerns, don't be afraid to tell her.
For my first round of IVF, I was on Lupron, Menopur, and Gonal-F (can't remember dosage). Because I am young, my body responded really well to stims so they had to keep my dose low. They retrieved 29 eggs, resulting in 5 embryos. The quality was not great so they had to do a 3 day transfer. They transferred 2 embryos (can't remember the grade) and the rest did not make it to freeze on Day 5. That round of IVF resulted in a twin pregnancy but I unfortunately miscarried at 9 weeks. For my second round of IVF, they did LOTS of genetic testing beforehand. All results were normal. My egg quality was thought to be the culprit of my miscarriages. So they put me on HGH Omnitropin (can't remember the dosage), Gonal-F, and Cetrotide. Since they knew exactly how my body responded to stims, they got my dosage perfect. I believe they retrieved 20 eggs that time. It resulted in 5 embryos. They were better quality than last round but not good enough to make it to Day 5 which was a bummer because we had hoped to do PGS and to freeze some. We had to do a Day 3 transfer. They transferred two grade 3, 8 cell embryos. Like I said, the other 3 embryos did not make it to freeze. That round resulted in one amazingly healthy singleton pregnancy. I gave birth to a healthy baby girl 2 days before her due date.
2012 - 2014
The Hospital [Jones] we went to did a great job but it does not focus on the LGBT community so it was gray areas when it came to some of the care and resources... This clinic had a overall good experience it's not as personalized that you would want it to be but everyone we encountered along the way had a very professional and friendly manner... We didn't have a specific nurse assigned to our care we pretty much encountered whoever was available during the times of necessary appointments.
2012 - 2014
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic had a overall good experience it's not as personalized that you would want it to be but everyone we encountered along the way had a very professional and friendly manner. I would like to see more resources geared toward the LGBT community and families. It would be great if you were assigned a personal nurse or had more of a one on one feeling with the doctor. We didn't know in the process that following the initial consultation we would not really meet with Dr. Bocca again. It did take 3 cycles over the course of 3 years so I guess the timing puts a strain on the process.
The initial consultation the Dr. was very warm and welcoming but we hardly interacted with her following the initial visit. The Hospital we went to did a great job but it does not focus on the LGBT community so it was gray areas when it came to some of the care and resources.
We didn't have a specific nurse assigned to our care we pretty much encountered whoever was available during the times of necessary appointments. I don't recall having any bad experiences everyone was professional and had a friendly manner but it wasn't a one on one type of care feeling.
The initial visit was very knowledgeable and left us with a good feeling of where to start. There wasn't much of a breakdown surrounding cost and what we could expect in term of finances we had to do some research. Overall it was a great experience for someone who had no idea what to expect.
I recommend that you ask all the questions that you could at the initial consultation because you will not be able to have many opportunities' to do so. Come prepared with all of your questions written down so that you don't miss anything. She was very great about answering any questions or concerns.
The Process for IUI cost average $345 per insemination, $50-$100 for consultation, $100 per hormone injection per cycle, $25 for co pays, suppositories averaged $40- $50, Ultra Sounds $50- $100, blood work $0.00 included with insurance
2014 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Wonderful doctors! They know their stuff- they won’t treat you like a number. Nursing staff [Jones Institute] could be better. Sometimes they get things confused and don’t follow up in a timely manner— other nurses do- it just depends. At the end of the day- it’s the doctors that matter and these ones are great... Nursing staff failed to call in my prescriptions twice... Some are good, and some are just ok. It depends on who you get.
2014 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
Wonderful doctors! They know their stuff- they won’t treat you like a number. Nursing staff could be better. Sometimes they get things confused and don’t follow up in a timely manner— other nurses do- it just depends. At the end of the day- it’s the doctors that matter and these ones are great
She is the most compassionate doctor I have ever seen.
Some are good, and some are just ok. It depends on who you get. I don’t have an assigned nurse bc we aren’t currently doing IVF
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
She is thorough, intelligent and extremely compassionate. I feel 100 percent comfortable under her care. She’s always optimistic yet honest at the same time. We have been through multiple failed cycles - both negative and miscarriages- and she is one of the reasons that I have the strength to keep going.
Be upfront and honest about your concerns or fears. She really does care and she wants to know!
I have PCOS and poor egg quality. Her recommendation was IVF ICSI but we still owe from our last IVF cycle and our toddler is diabetic, so we can’t spend out of pocket money on another. Since I have bad egg quality and I am 39, the goal is to get as many eggs as possible in hopes of finding a good one- like we did with my daughter!
We are 100 percent out of pocket do the cost is very high
Norfolk
The IUI procedure cost close to $1,200 with everything involved.... During my IUI process I felt very optimistic until the day of the procedure when we got the bad news about my husbands sample. I feel that people are spending a lot of money and the clinic [Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] does a good job to be accommodating to patients and they get you in and out so that you are not sitting around waiting for long periods of time.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
I think that this is a great clinic. During my IUI process I felt very optimistic until the day of the procedure when we got the bad news about my husbands sample. I feel that people are spending a lot of money and the clinic does a good job to be accommodating to patients and they get you in and out so that you are not sitting around waiting for long periods of time.
Dr. Bocca was always very pleasant, open and honest with me. She told me when unexpected things came up during a cycle. She was very sympathetic when my IUI and transfer did not work and was ready to get back to work to figure out what we could do next time.
During my experience with Dr. Bocca I felt that she was very knowledgeable. However, I did not feel that she explained things as thoroughly as I would have liked. During my IUI the results from my husbands sample came back much lower than any other tests had. She did mention this to me during the procedure and noted that we would still have a small chance of it working. however, I got the idea that she knew it probably wasn't going to work, so I'm wondering if we even should have gone through with it or waited to find out what was going on from his end.
When she tells you something during an appointment don't feel that you need to just go with it and let them be on their way. Ask the Dr. to sit down and explain things to you thoroughly.
The IUI procedure cost close to $1,200 with everything involved.
Virginia Beach
Sometimes EVMs is difficult with their billing - I had been charged double in the past but once i brought it to their attention they fixed it immediately!! They never have a problem if I’m running late due to traffic and can squeeze me in - so grateful!!!...[Nursing Staff] Eager and willing to answer my hundreds of questions and with a smile on their face...my blood work didn’t get picked up with the rest of the blood work - it wasn’t an emergency situation where timing was vital but glad it wasn’t
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
I can tell the genuine care i her voice and actions in helping us choose options
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
I genuinely felt safer in my decision process knowing she was behind them. She was easy to talk to and gave great advice and didn’t make me feel like an idiot for asking hundreds of questions! She helped guide us to make decisions that worked best for us!
Be honest with her about your feelings, she won’t know unless you tell her
So we had come to a cross roads where we could go towards IVF , but she wanted us to try an ovulation induction that required a lot more medication including injectibles - follistim and ovidrel - my body reacted positively and we were able to conceive : unfortunately that pregnancy ended up in miscarriage after 10 weeks and 2 days but we had not been able to get pregnant before this so truly grateful to continue with Dr Bocca on this journey!
My insurance didn’t cover it with one job, and now it does
Newport News
We had a great experience overall! I wanted to go with a clinic that was trusted and respected. I wanted results. I know this process can be scary, but I felt like if I was investing money in IVF, than it needed to be where we had the highest chances of conceiving. The Jones was the best decision.... We didn't love our nurse coordinator... I know it was around $20k for IVF plus medication and ICSI plus we had a few other costs that drove up our overall price. In the end it was all worth it!!
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
He was very thorough, took time to explain everything to me, and made sure we did a single embryo transfer like I had wanted.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Don't remember)
We didn't love our nurse coordinator
I felt like I was with a professional. I knew he understood the best practices and procedures and explained everything to me. I wouldn't say he was high on the compassion scale, but it didn't matter as much to me if going through IVF with him meant a successful pregnancy. He was always straightforward and honest, and he made jokes to help lighten the mood sometimes. I enjoyed my experience.
If you want to achieve a pregnancy, use Dr O. If you're looking for lots of warm and fuzzies during the process, he may not be your doc.
We did IVF, retrieved 13 eggs, and 8 became embryos. We had 3 amazing Day 5 blastocysts, and we chose to transfer 1. Even though there as higher chances to conceive with transferring more than 1, we felt confident with a single embryo transfer and he believed and supported our decision.
He supported our decision for a eSET.
Virginia Beach
I think they [Jones Institute] do a good of listening to you as a patient and putting the best efforts on the table for you to achieve your overall goal. There are times where they have so many patients in cycle at once, however, where you might feel a little lost in the shuffle...I think the care coordinator does an ok job. I think that because there are so many patients to come each day she looses a bit of her organization. I got a few messages on the medication line that were in correct or hard to understand.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
I think they do a good of listening to you as a patient and putting the best efforts on the table for you to achieve your overall goal. There are times where they have so many patients in cycle at once, however, where you might feel a little lost in the shuffle. I would tell a future patient to be strong through this process and to not loose sight of what you feel you need because you feel rushed.
I felt like though there was a sense of them trying to make every cycle and every patient have their personal touch there were still days where I was just lost in the mix. With lots of cycle starts and long wait times during appointments I would often feel like I just needed to get in and out because I was already stressed about being late to work from waiting on my appointment to start an hour late.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
I liked that my Dr. was the director of the top program in the area but with that I felt a disconnect from him at times. Luckily there were other Doctors on staff to pick up slack where his was lacking.
Be tough on the things that are important to you to make sure your voice is heard and that you don't get lost in the crowd.
Male Factor, Immunological
The receptionist’s are very good about making your appointments for you, and calling you to follow up. I feel as though the clinic [Jones] as a whole is exceptional . From our first visit to discuss infertility treatments, until our last treatment . They have quite the outgoing staff. They were very upfront about everything from out treatments, as well as payment options. I feel as though this clinic is the best one around ! I would highly recommend them to anyone going through infertility treatments.
Male Factor, Immunological
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
The receptionist’s are very good about making your appointments for you, and calling you to follow up. I feel as though the clinic as a whole is exceptional . From our first visit to discuss infertility treatments, until our last treatment . They have quite the outgoing staff. They were very upfront about everything from out treatments, as well as payment options. I feel as though this clinic is the best one around ! I would highly recommend them to anyone going through infertility treatments.
He was very upfront about our procedures. He provided a lot of encouragement throughout the process, especially during our miscarriage.
They were very compassionate throughout the process . Always made small talk with me , and eased my mind !
He was very educational, and passionate about what he does. He tells you upfront what to expect throughout the treatments. I felt very comfortable going through our IVF cycles with him. He always explained everything throughouly during our sessions with him. He said ‘ let’s make it happen’ and it sure did! We finally got pregnant with twin girls ! It was such a blessing going to the Jones Institute. I would love to go back there to see him for our third child.
He knows his stuff !
2nd IVf fresh cycle - he didn’t stimulate a much to get better quality eggs!
We did a shared risk payment plan. They were very upfront about the cost for everything . They would bill us in an ample amount of time !
I feel as that multiple embryo transfer was right for us . Higher chances of one embryo sticking !!
Norfolk
There were different charges [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] like OR fees, General IVF fees, extra charge for ICSI and medications (about $4,000) that all added up. In total, about $12,000, and I also have 3 frozen embryos they store for $60/month. It will eliminate a large part of the process when we try to have another child... Appointments were easy to make, staff was awesome and we are looking forward to doing it all again! I really appreciated how caring and understanding all of the nurses were every time I went and the visits were all quick without much waiting. I never felt like a number and it's easy to see why people want to come to this clinic.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
He always made us feel comfortable and confident. Awesome bedside manner, direct, open communication and very sweet personality.
Every visit was amazing! We loved all of the staff and every appointment was uplifting and full of hope!
We really loved him right from the start. Our experience was amazing and everything happened exactly as it was explained to us. We appreciated how direct and honest he was and knowing what to expect. His predictions and diagnosis were spot on.
Don't wait. Just do it. I think he is retiring, but Dr. Bocca is awesome too.
I had a very typical cycle. Follicle stimulation to produce eggs, retrieval, ICSI for insemination with my husband's sperm (male factor infertility, several viable embryos, two embryos transferred, single embryo implantation, single, healthy live birth. ONE CYCLE SUCCESS!!!
There were different charges like OR fees, General IVF fees, extra charge for ICSI and medications (about $4,000) that all added up. In total, about $12,000, and I also have 3 frozen embryos they store for $60/month. It will eliminate a large part of the process when we try to have another child.
Dr. O transferred 2 embryos for the first cycle, but after a successful singleton birth recommends strongly only having one transferred for our second child, unless we want twins
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
[Jones Institute for Reproductive Med has a] Great location and they validate your parking. The clinic is clean and presentable. Everyone from reception all the way to seeing the doctor is polite and explains the process very well. Sometimes it gets lengthy waiting on the doctor.... Once I was assessed by the nursing staff I went straight to ultrasound, very little waiting... I paid between 10-13k for IVF
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
The doctor and her staff were great at explaining everything step by step. I felt very comfortable
Polite and effecient
Dr. Stadtmauer was amazing and very optimistic when I felt unsure. She gave me options and left if up to me to decide without pressure. Her staff is amazing and personable. Everytime I visited I walked away feeling assured that I was being taken care of.
Have a list a questions ready
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
I paid between 10-13k for IVF
Norfolk
It was easy to get appointments [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine]. They had multiple locations that were convenient for medication monitoring. The waiting rooms were comfortable and the other doctors I had interactions with were friendly and kind...She [the nurse] was always on top of things and responded quickly whenever I had questions or concerns...IUI's were about $800 total with medications, sperm wash, ultrasound, and actual IUI.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
It was easy to get appointments. They had multiple locations that were convenient for medication monitoring. The waiting rooms were comfortable and the other doctors I had interactions with were friendly and kind.
She was always on top of things and responded quickly whenever I had questions or concerns.
Doctor Bocca was kind and very good at explaining procedures before we actually did them. She was always very optimistic. I was diagnosed with polyps and went in to see her after several failed treatments. She was able to remove the polyps and explained every step of what she was going to do and then for post-op, she thoroughly explained the results and asked for my input on the next steps.
Learn as much as you can and be your own advocate.
Norfolk
This clinic [Jones Institute] is hard to schedule appointments with at times. The staff is friendly. You will see a different doctor as they rotate for ultrasounds and OR. I believe if you can drive to different clinics you may be seen by one doctor continuously however that was never the case during my care....The staff was friendly and interactive on visits. They were always smiling and nice....The cost was approx. 15,000 without cost of medications.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is hard to schedule appointments with at times. The staff is friendly. You will see a different doctor as they rotate for ultrasounds and OR. I believe if you can drive to different clinics you may be seen by one doctor continuously however that was never the case during my care.
I did not see Dr. O but the staff and other physicians I saw were very caring.
I only saw Dr. Oehninger the first appointment for consultation and then we he canceled my cycle, all other times the staff would rotate. The staff is very friendly and compassionate. I did not feel he would know who I was if someone were to ask him.
I would suggest seeing another physician in that clinic if you go to Jones.
We used menopur and gonal-f, omnitrope. He primed my with 2 weeks of OCP.
The cost was approx. 15,000 without cost of medications.
They recommended singleton for transfer.
2013 - 2014
There were times during the process that the staff left me feeling a bit like a number... Communication could be clearer - feel like there we times that things weren't clearly explained - like when to call for appointment/ blood work.
2013 - 2014
I feel like Dr. O did care about me. He seem to be rooting for us and was committed to doing everything in his power to help us get a positive outcome. There were times during the process that the staff left me feeling a bit like a number. For example during blood draws. When we did get a positive pregnancy test, they gave us a personalized card with ultrasound images which was a nice touch.
I appreciated Dr Os commitment to my treatment. He laid out a very clear plan and took immediate action. Good sense of humor. Sometimes a little difficult to understand due to accent.
Make an appointment immediately.
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
It takes a while to get a appointment but I've never had a long waiting time at my appointments. Everyone [Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] is very nice and supportive. The clinic is almost a 2 hour drive and I wish it could be closer.... Dr. Bocca is very thorough and responds to all messages. She answers all questions and makes sure you understand before you leave the office. If you send a email she always gets back to you within the same day. She will make timelines to better help you understand how the treatment will work. At the follicle scans she is so good about including my husband and I in explaining.
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
It takes a while to get a appointment but I've never had a long waiting time at my appointments. Everyone is very nice and supportive. The clinic is almost a 2 hour drive and I wish it could be closer.
She is so caring and understanding and goes out of her way to make you comfortable and answer any questions.
Norfolk
[The nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] Laughed at me when I asked a question. Acted annoyed and over worked . Also complained a lot...[The clinic] provided a lot of information over the phone and also answered all my questions. Most the nurses and office workers act annoyed like they don’t care at all. Some of the nurse are great...Dr. Pakrashi was very kind and always felt like she really cared. She gave us a lot of hope and we plan on doing IVF with her. She also explained everything very well. She took the time to answer all the questions we had.
European, Other
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
The IVF was very nice and provided a lot of information over the phone and also answered all my questions. Most the nurses and office workers act annoyed like they don’t care at all. Some of the nurse are great.
She was very kind and compassionate.
Write down any questions you have so you remember them all to ask.
We haven’t started IVF yet.
After IVF would be about 20,000 So far it’s been about 4,000
Norfolk
Had some miscommunication between me, doctor, and scheduler regarding what test I was getting. This pushed back treatment by multiple months due to availability. Great communication [from the nursing staff], always gets back to you with answers to questions in a prompt fashion.
East Asian, Latino
She wasn't very detailed. Half the time, we had to remind her of what's going on with us, as if she didn't review the chart before seeing us.
Great communication, always gets back to you with answers to questions in a prompt fashion. Made me feel comfortable.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
She is pleasant but seems confused or not up to date on what's going on with me. We chose her because she had the first availability but now we regret the decision.
Stay on top of things. She is very smart as a clinician but she is not as organized as we would like. We want someone who takes the time to at least know where we left off last time.
IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Immunological
She [Dr. Stadtmauer] has answered every question I have and helped me in whatever I needed. It has been a great experience. My only complaint is really with the office. They try to get back but when it comes to the coordinators it is sometimes like pulling teeth....
IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Immunological
I really felt like Dr stadtmauer could pick me out of a line up and call me out by name.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
I have had a very good experience with dr. Stadtmauer. She has answered every question I have and helped me in whatever I needed. It has been a great experience. My only complaint is really with the office. They try to get back but when it comes to the coordinators it is sometimes like pulling teeth....
Be your own advocate. I did have to ask for some specific tests to be done but she's always willing to listen and hear you out.
PCOS, Unexplained
You could never get anyone on the phone [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine]. It takes forever to get a nurse to call you back.... When I got pregnant they said the nurse would call me with results of my hcg and I had to call several times to get it.... I got pregnant once with iui treatment but had one miscarriage. In the process of trying again. The doctor was willing to try other options and listen to my concerns. The only disadvantage was she wasn't at the office that much so I had to see a couple different doctors.
PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
You could never get anyone on the phone. It takes forever to get a nurse to call you back.
She actually listened to my concerns
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
To be prepared for a lot of tests from you and your partner
Endometriosis, PCOS
At times they [The nursing staff at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] seemed preoccupied...We did an IVF study that cost 4400, most other appointments were a few hundred...multiple locations made it easy to make visits...She [Dr. Tarita Pakrashi] is very compassionate and wants us to have another child. I believed she genuinely felt bad when a treatment didn't work. She would call and check on us and always start planning the next treatment.
Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
The cost is very high, but multiple locations made it easy to make visits.
She showed genuine compassion
At times they seemed preoccupied
She is very compassionate and wants us to have another child. I believed she genuinely felt bad when a treatment didn't work. She would call and check on us and always start planning the next treatment.
Be patient