7.2

Virginia Beach
2075 Glenn Mitchell Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
757-446-7100

Dr.Bocca is very warm and seems genuinely concerned about her patients. ... Being over 40 she helped to start treatment right away and to have additional tests scheduled immediately. She always seems to take the time needed for her patients, I’ve never felt rushed or that she is unavailable. ... Started with diagnostic testing with a hysteroscopy and then moved to lertrezol 5mg day 3-7, ultrasound on Day 11 and then trigger shot of ovidrel. I did 4 cycles of this with no pregnancy so have moved to adding Gonal F. Only one cycle of IO with femera and Gonal, waiting to try another before doing IVF
[Jones Inst for Repro Med] So disorganized, it’s difficult to get an appointment with the doctor in a timely manner. When you do need monitoring appointments things are good but otherwise it’s been a struggle. It took me nearly a month and weekly phone calls to have a nurse change my medication to one that was covered by my insurance ... The nursing staff has been very nice but not well organized. You may have to phone many times to have things clarified or amended
How was your experience with Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Bocca is a wonderful doctor, she has given me a lot of hope and I feel very well cared for. She always listens to my concerns and always is willing to work to find the right treatment. Being over 40 she helped to start treatment right away and to have additional tests scheduled immediately. She always seems to take the time needed for her patients, I’ve never felt rushed or that she is unavailable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
She will listen to all of your concerns and seems very open to trying to find a way to help.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr.Bocca is very warm and seems genuinely concerned about her patients.
Describe the protocols Silvina Bocca used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I have Tricare so most visits and diagnostics are covered
Describe Silvina Bocca's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
We have talked about IVF as next steps but haven’t decided the best course of action so far
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Wasn’t able to have a nurse phone me back with no less than 5 phone messages left and have my medication modified.
Virginia Beach

Dr. Oehninger is a very competent physician. We initially liked him because of his bluntness about the procedures and statistical chances of having a child. As days went past during our cycle, it seemed as if we heard less and less from him. He was not available in at least two of our ultrasounds, which to us was a very important time to speak to us....Dr Oehninger was not there for our egg retrieval which was very disappointing.
The clinic [Jones] is generally quick to get a new patient in. It is likely due to that process that patients are not coddled. It is very straight forward. In and out during ultrasound and bloodwork visits. The nursing staff was very nice and accommodating during our retrieval and transfer appointments...The institute scheduled our cycle based on the number of people entering the clinic. All of our scheduled appointments were set up to maximize the number of patients per day.
How was your experience with Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Oehninger is a very competent physician. We initially liked him because of his bluntness about the procedures and statistical chances of having a child. As days went past during our cycle, it seemed as if we heard less and less from him. He was not available in at least two of our ultrasounds, which to us was a very important time to speak to us. The other physicians conducting the ultrasound screening were not up to date with our progress. Dr Oehninger was not there for our egg retrieval which was very disappointing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Don't expect coddling. He is very thorough in procedural explanation but definitely do research and ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
The Jones Institute is obviously a very reputable clinic. That is the main reason my wife and I chose it. The institute scheduled our cycle based on the number of people entering the clinic. All of our scheduled appointments were set up to maximize the number of patients per day. It is for this reason that I feel we did not get the attention we wanted. It just seemed like we were another customer just running through the line.
Describe the protocols Sergio Oehninger used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We used an antagonistic approach
The nursing staff was very nice. There did not seem to be much communication between the nurses and between the nurses and doctors.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is generally quick to get a new patient in. It is likely due to that process that patients are not coddled. It is very straight forward. In and out during ultrasound and bloodwork visits. The nursing staff was very nice and accommodating during our retrieval and transfer appointments. We only had 3 eggs with one mature which had a failed transfer. Our retrieval procedure time was very short. Aspirations took under half an hour. All indications pre retrieval, showed we had at least 8 eggs. After speaking with another clinic, they informed us that their retrieval was much more thorough. It is for this reason we believe we had a failed cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
We went with a single cycle option. There was an available shared risk program that was double for a single cycle.
Describe Sergio Oehninger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Multiple embryo transfer was explained to us. The Jones institute protocol was to transfer up to two embryos only.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
We believe there was a procedural error during our retrieval. The retrieval process was extremely short. After speaking with another clinic, they informed us of the importance of taking time during retrieval.
Norfolk
Dr Bocca did a good job of explaining treatments to us, and took plenty of time to talk to us. After my 11 week miscarriage, she had a nice long appointment to talk to us. Dr Bocca is compassionate and caring. However, I didn’t get a whole lot of statistics from her or numbers when it came to my chances of success with different courses of treatment. Sometimes her nurses have trouble communicating with her (as in the nurses didn’t get back to me)
The nurses [Jones Institute] were hard to get ahold of frequently and sometimes I had to leave multiple messages to hear back.... I had occasional problems getting progesterone refills/ prescriptions faxed to the pharmacy . I also sometimes didn’t get calls back with results until after the time window they told me I would get a response within... Strengths: Dr boccas bedside manner and compassion. She is helpful, but if you want hard numbers/ chances of success, I didn’t hear much of that. Weaknesses: communication with the nursing team/ front desk. The patient portal/ voicemail system most of the time gets a response
Do some research on treatment options/ infertility basics before you meet with Dr Bocca or any doctor. Be sure you are your own advocate when communicating with Dr Bocca’s team- they don’t always get back to you.
Dr Bocca herself spent plenty of time talking and consulting with us, but the team at Jones was hard to get to respond and get a straight answer from sometimes
We did two cycles of clomid/ letrozole with cycle day intercourse/ ultrasound/ ovidrel injection. Then we did two rounds of injectable hormones with monitoring and timed intercourse. I got pregnant the second time. All signs looked positive and things were going perfectly until I miscarried at 11 weeks due to a trisomy 14 abnormality. We then did one more cycle of injectables and iui with a chemical pregnancy. We have now moved on to ivf at another clinic that has a shared risk/ money back guarantee program and higher success rates when I comes to ivf.
The nurses were hard to get ahold of frequently and sometimes I had to leave multiple messages to hear back. I would recommend Dr Bocca a lot more highly than her nursing staff
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: Dr boccas bedside manner and compassion. She is helpful, but if you want hard numbers/ chances of success, I didn’t hear much of that. Weaknesses: communication with the nursing team/ front desk. The patient portal/ voicemail system most of the time gets a response, but sometimes you need to leave more than one message.
My insurance covered our ultrasounds when we did timed intercouse with pills or injections. However, it did not cover any of our drugs or ultrasounds with iui. We spent roughly $1500/ month each cycle we tried
Norfolk

I rarely saw Dr. Oehninger once I started my cycle. Lower level staff or the other REs performed almost all of my monitoring ultrasounds, as well as my egg retrieval and transfer. You don't get to choose who performs your care and it's not consistent...I went into our IVF cycle expecting to be seen by Dr. Oehninger, as our assigned RE. I had really appreciated how much time and information he gave us at our consultation visits and looked forward to him being involved in my care. However, I didn't see him much during the monitoring cycle. Even when I did, a training doctor performed the actual ultrasound.
The Jones Institute is part of EVMS so you can expect extra sets of hands and eyes in the room in most cases...I would've strongly preferred to have received my monitoring results on a regular basis, instead of having to beg for them after the cycle was complete...I was also not pleased at how scarce the embryo development reports were...The nurse who handles blood draws is incredibly sweet. The OR nurses are really wonderful and compassionate, too....
I went into our IVF cycle expecting to be seen by Dr. Oehninger, as our assigned RE. I had really appreciated how much time and information he gave us at our consultation visits and looked forward to him being involved in my care. However, I didn't see him much during the monitoring cycle. Even when I did, a training doctor performed the actual ultrasound. The Jones Institute is part of EVMS so you can expect extra sets of hands and eyes in the room in most cases. My egg retrieval and subsequent transfer were both performed by another member of the practice. When my beta was negative, I would've liked to receive a call from Dr. Oehninger since he was my main RE. Instead, the RE who actually performed my transfer called.
Do your own research so you can keep up with him in conversations. He won't slow down to explain the basics for you automatically so educate yourself beforehand. Also, be prepared to not see him during your course of treatment as it just depends on the REs schedules.
I was given a standard antagonist protocol following three weeks of birth control. Despite great ultrasound monitoring results leading up to retrieval, the majority of my follicles didn't produce an egg at retrieval.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I would've strongly preferred to have received my monitoring results on a regular basis, instead of having to beg for them after the cycle was complete. I kept being told everything was progressing great, but now that I have my blood results on paper, I see that maybe I could've been asking more questions along the way and perhaps our egg retrieval results wouldn't have been so utterly shocking. I think that they have so many patients it's easier for them to just shepherd you through the process and would rather you not have too many details, but I felt a bit like I was naively trusting a process that ended up failing. I was also not pleased at how scarce the embryo development reports were. I would've liked daily communication from the embryologist - but that may be wishful thinking on my part, and just not possible!
The baseline package was $11,500. Meds are of course purchased through a third party pharmacy, but the IVF coordinator really helped us out by telling us about a discount program we were able to apply for.
Had we had two viable embryos, Dr. O had planned to transfer two.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
They're not able to post a lot of results on the online health portal, so be prepared to have to ask for paper copies.
Newport News

She [Dr. Silvina Bocca] was very good at explaining things. She was the first doctor that we saw when we started this whole journey so she really laid the groundwork for our whole understanding of everything. She answered all of our questions, she was prompt and through on our scheduled meetings with her...she is going to give you a lot of information...We did 2 times intercourse treatment with Dr. Bocca and one IUI... I just remember her being very hopeful that the times intercourse with the trigger shot would work because we had done so well on every test prior to trying her treatment.
we never received the packet for the IVF costs [from Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine]. Twice I was told it was in the mail to me. I tried to make an appointment to speak with someone in the finance and was never able to get a call back or an appointment. So we left and I made multiple requests to have my records sent and the new office I was at made attempts and nothing was ever sent- I had to show them things on the my chart app.
She was very good at explaining things. She was the first doctor that we saw when we started this whole journey so she really laid the groundwork for our whole understanding of everything. She answered all of our questions, she was prompt and through on our scheduled meetings with her.
To come to the appointment with a paper and pen because she is going to give you a lot of information.
I enjoyed seeing Dr. Bocca- she was very caring and knows what she is talking about.
We did 2 times intercourse treatment with Dr. Bocca and one IUI--I don't really remember the treatment protocol- I just remember her being very hopeful that the times intercourse with the trigger shot would work because we had done so well on every test prior to trying her treatment.
I didn't really like that I saw someone new every time. It made me feel like a new patient almost every time because I was explaining the same thing at almost every visit.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I was not that happy with the clinic- which is ultimately why we left there. Dr. Bocca was great but her staff not so much. I did not like that when I sent an email or had a question- the tone of the responses were not always pleasant. I didn't like how you never saw the same person twice, there is no relationships between patient and the staff.
I believe was paid around 3000.00 for the IUI-- not including medicine
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
When we decided to do IVF after the failed IUI we were going to stay at the Jones Institute however we never received the packet for the IVF costs. Twice I was told it was in the mail to me. I tried to make an appointment to speak with someone in the finance and was never able to get a call back or an appointment. So we left and I made multiple requests to have my records sent and the new office I was at made attempts and nothing was ever sent- I had to show them things on the my chart app.
Newport News

It's a teaching hospital [Jones - Norfolk] so you never see the doctor you think you have an appointment with. There is usually a student also in your ultrasound.... The nurses were very kind and sweet but not organized and made me feel like I was alone sometimes.... I went in on a Saturday which was my cycle day 3 and was told I needed to take menopur the following night, which is a specialty drug that must be overnighted and I did not have any. I left in tears frantically trying to find menopur. That was the first of some other stressful visits.
Dr. Bocca was very accessible when she was in town. She is knowledgeable and had a wonderful bedside manner. I just felt like I was going through the usual infertility routine and fell through the cracks. We completed round after round of timed intercourse with injectables. There was no change in my treatment even though we asked at the first meeting to go right to IVF at any point in the beginning if it seemed necessary. The only change was to try IUI and that was unsuccessful. Every month I just kept doing the same thing, that was not working. Then I found myself through a full calendar year with no change. It was stressful.
Do your own research and manage your calendar and meds yourself. Ask lots and lots of questions about what is next so that you are prepared and have your meds ready.
This is difficult to answer as Dr. Bocca was very accessible when she was in town. She is knowledgeable and had a wonderful bedside manner. Her nursing staff was very kind as well. I just felt like I was going through the usual infertility routine and fell through the cracks. There was no change in my treatment even though we asked at the first meeting to go right to IVF at any point in the beginning if it seemed necessary. Every month I just kept doing the same thing, that was not working. Then I found myself through a full calendar year with no change. It was stressful.
We completed round after round of timed intercourse with injectables. Twice out of the 12 months of being there, we tried IUI was was unsuccessful. Other than the IUI, every month I just kept doing the same thing, that was not working.
The nurses were very kind and sweet but not organized and made me feel like I was alone sometimes. After my first month of timed intercourse with injectables, I went in for appointments to see what's next. I went in on a Saturday which was my cycle day 3 and was told I needed to take menopur the following night, which is a specialty drug that must be overnighted and I did not have any. I left in tears frantically trying to find menopur. That was the first of some other stressful visits.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
It's a teaching hospital so you never see the doctor you think you have an appointment with. There is usually a student also in your ultrasound. The nurses are kind but for sure have not been through infertility themselves. The doctors are very nice.
Since I was mostly getting blood draws and ultrasounds, the cost was ~$200-$400 a cycle. My insurance assisted some. For the monitoring patient only visits, they will not process through your insurance for you so it's $500-$600 a visit.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
I had to consistently give the nurse the phone number to the specialty drug pharmacy. I later went for monitoring only and every single visit (at least 8) they did not send the results to my other clinic and I would have to call and ask for them, often multiple calls in one day. And good luck getting a person on the phone quickly. You have to leave a message and wait hours for them to call you back.
Norfolk
I liked that my Dr. [Oehninger] was the director of the top program in the area but with that I felt a disconnect from him at times. Luckily there were other Doctors on staff to pick up slack where his was lacking...I was upset after my 2nd FET I waited around for an hour without update on why my transfer was being delayed. Finally the DR. said he wanted to "watch the embryos" I didn't find out until 30 minutes later that out of 6 in the freezer 4 of them were not thawing well. I only found out after my negative pregnancy test that none of the other embryos survived. That was the biggest disappointment in the process.
I think they [Jones Institute] do a good of listening to you as a patient and putting the best efforts on the table for you to achieve your overall goal. There are times where they have so many patients in cycle at once, however, where you might feel a little lost in the shuffle...I think the care coordinator does an ok job. I think that because there are so many patients to come each day she looses a bit of her organization. I got a few messages on the medication line that were in correct or hard to understand.
I liked that my Dr. was the director of the top program in the area but with that I felt a disconnect from him at times. Luckily there were other Doctors on staff to pick up slack where his was lacking.
Be tough on the things that are important to you to make sure your voice is heard and that you don't get lost in the crowd.
I felt like though there was a sense of them trying to make every cycle and every patient have their personal touch there were still days where I was just lost in the mix. With lots of cycle starts and long wait times during appointments I would often feel like I just needed to get in and out because I was already stressed about being late to work from waiting on my appointment to start an hour late.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Valerie)
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I think they do a good of listening to you as a patient and putting the best efforts on the table for you to achieve your overall goal. There are times where they have so many patients in cycle at once, however, where you might feel a little lost in the shuffle. I would tell a future patient to be strong through this process and to not loose sight of what you feel you need because you feel rushed.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
I think I was more frustrated with my appointment wait times. Also, I was upset after my 2nd FET I waited around for an hour without update on why my transfer was being delayed. Finally the DR. said he wanted to "watch the embryos" I didn't find out until 30 minutes later that out of 6 in the freezer 4 of them were not thawing well. I only found out after my negative pregnancy test that none of the other embryos survived. That was the biggest disappointment in the process.
2017, Unknown Success
I only saw Dr. Oehninger the first appointment for consultation and then we he canceled my cycle, all other times the staff would rotate. The staff is very friendly and compassionate. I did not feel he would know who I was if someone were to ask him.... We used menopur and gonal-f, omnitrope. He primed my with 2 weeks of OCP.... They recommended singleton for transfer.... You will see a different doctor as they rotate for ultrasounds and OR.
This clinic [Jones Institute] is hard to schedule appointments with at times. The staff is friendly. You will see a different doctor as they rotate for ultrasounds and OR. I believe if you can drive to different clinics you may be seen by one doctor continuously however that was never the case during my care....The staff was friendly and interactive on visits. They were always smiling and nice....The cost was approx. 15,000 without cost of medications.
I would suggest seeing another physician in that clinic if you go to Jones.
I did not see Dr. O but the staff and other physicians I saw were very caring.
We used menopur and gonal-f, omnitrope. He primed my with 2 weeks of OCP.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is hard to schedule appointments with at times. The staff is friendly. You will see a different doctor as they rotate for ultrasounds and OR. I believe if you can drive to different clinics you may be seen by one doctor continuously however that was never the case during my care.
The cost was approx. 15,000 without cost of medications.
They recommended singleton for transfer.

2015, Unknown Success
She wasn't very detailed. Half the time, we had to remind her of what's going on with us, as if she didn't review the chart before seeing us.
Had some miscommunication between me, doctor, and scheduler regarding what test I was getting. This pushed back treatment by multiple months due to availability. Great communication [from the nursing staff], always gets back to you with answers to questions in a prompt fashion.
How was your experience with Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
She is pleasant but seems confused or not up to date on what's going on with me. We chose her because she had the first availability but now we regret the decision.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Stay on top of things. She is very smart as a clinician but she is not as organized as we would like. We want someone who takes the time to at least know where we left off last time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Great communication, always gets back to you with answers to questions in a prompt fashion. Made me feel comfortable.
Laurel Stadtmauer
Norfolk

Thick accent made it hard to understand at times, very to the point not a lot of time for questions. [Dr. Oehninger] Explained what we were doing that day, but not a lot of details on future options, just vague timeline... Femerra used with ultrasound checks, found hemmoraging cyst and halted further injection until cyst cleared... Everything was routine for them but not for me. I had questions and no one took the time to ask and answer them in depth.
Organized and routine, [Jones Institute] could be better about sharing info with patients and giving timelines and requirements upfront (like you only get 3 tries with clomid and first try counts even if you can’t do injection because you have a cyst)... Consult and ultrasound in the $250 range, second ultrasound and meds + appt in the $400 range... Everything was routine for them but not for me. I had questions and no one took the time to ask and answer them in depth.
Thick accent made it hard to understand at times, very to the point not a lot of time for questions. Explained what we were doing that day, but not a lot of details on future options, just vague timeline
Choose another, but I think he’s retire now
Everything was routine for them but not for me. I had questions and no one took the time to ask and answer them in depth. There was explanation on what I was doing at the time, but little explanation on the big picture or options or prices
Friendly, explained some things in detail, empathetic some
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Organized and routine, could be better about sharing info with patients and giving timelines and requirements upfront (like you only get 3 tries with clomid and first try counts even if you can’t do injection because you have a cyst)