7.1

Norfolk, VA 23507
2075 Glenn Mitchell Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23456

2020, Unsuccessful
If you are looking for a very intelligent doctor who has lots of experience, she [Dr. Stadtmauer] is it. She diagnosed me in seconds of testing and got right to the details and course. If you don’t want blunt info, she is not for you. She got right to the point, has been down this road with thousands of couples, and had a very scientific way about going things. Not totally nurturing and motherly if you are looking for that. She does know her stuff though!
Overall clinic [Jones Inst for Repro Med] is amazing! They have so much knowledge, everything for the most part is in one building, and they have a reputation. Only negative I have is the communication. I had a hard time getting a hold of someone in my early stages of IUI and for someone new to the game, that was frustrating. Seems like they have figured some of those glitches out but occasionally hard to get a hold of someone.
How was your experience with Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
If you are looking for a very intelligent doctor who has lots of experience, she is it. She diagnosed me in seconds of testing and got right to the details and course. If you don’t want blunt info, she is not for you. She got right to the point, has been down this road with thousands of couples, and had a very scientific way about going things. Not totally nurturing and motherly if you are looking for that. She does know her stuff though!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Make sure you break through the statistics and knowledge she has to show who you are as a human/woman.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
She was very blunt but I appreciate that. She saw how emotional I was and did what she could to help the process along. Only reason I didn’t put 100% human because I felt like it was somewhat clinically and not 100% based on me.
Describe the protocols Laurel Stadtmauer used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I went to this doctor for initial discussion and testing which included pelvic ultrasound, HCG test, and blood work. Then we set up the plan from there.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Heather Houston )
I only had 2 negatives. One was lack of communication. You have to communicate through a portal which ended up being great but in the beginning when I had no idea what was going on, communication was horrible and I had to call and stalk the nurse. Once we got into a grove it was much easier but you have to advocate for yourself. Second was when I had a question about a medication that I wasn’t aware of, I got a short answer on their end. Overall they were amazing but this one time the nurse talked to me like I should know exactly what’s going on. I know she deals with it all day everyday but I had no idea and it was my first time.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Overall clinic is amazing! They have so much knowledge, everything for the most part is in one building, and they have a reputation. Only negative I have is the communication. I had a hard time getting a hold of someone in my early stages of IUI and for someone new to the game, that was frustrating. Seems like they have figured some of those glitches out but occasionally hard to get a hold of someone.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
In no fault to them (my insurance) I had to pay out of pocket for my fertility drugs and will have to pay for IVF. Other than that it was covered and I only payed around 20% of the costs
Describe Laurel Stadtmauer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Unknown. Didn’t get that far
Norfolk

Dr B [Bocca] is very personable and I feel like she understood me. She always had a plan and was always willing to answer questions for me. ... We’ve had a few setbacks, but she’s Beene wonderfully supportive. She understands that I like plans, and she always has one for me. I can send her a message whenever with questions and she or her LPN answer quite promptly.
I love the Jones Institute! Everyone has been friendly and wonderful. The offices are efficient and I’m always taken back either early or right on time! Every person I’ve dealt with have been knowledgeable and compassionate. ... Every nurse I’ve had has been wonderful supportive and positive. They’ve answered questions or noted when I had questions.
How was your experience with Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr B has been so wonderful. We’ve had a few setbacks, but she’s Beene wonderfully supportive. She understands that I like plans, and she always has one for me. I can send her a message whenever with questions and she or her LPN answer quite promptly.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Go to your appointment with questions. She’ll give you as much time as you need to get answers.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr B is very personable and I feel like she understood me. She always had a plan and was always willing to answer questions for me.
Describe the protocols Silvina Bocca used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We started with bloodwork and whatnot. I had an HSG and we realized I only had one tube. I had 2 MRIs to conclude I have UU. Then we started letrozole and ultrasounds every cycle, and trigger shots when I’m on my correct side. Once Covid-19 has passed, I’m having a hysteroscopy to see why it hasn’t worked yet.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Almost everything has been covered! My MRIs were about $1500, but other testing was covered. My letrozole is only $8 a month, my progesterone and ovidrel shout were $250 a pop.

Investment Banker
We [Dr. Bocca] was helpful however it was hard to get in contact with her. ... The appointment was so quick and felt rushed. ... It seemed like she didn’t care too much, but she was very knowledgeable in what she was talking about and explained things well. She said I wasn’t ovulating, but I’ve had positive results so I feel like she isn’t getting to the bottom of what’s really going on and why I’m not getting pregnant.
The front desk employees [at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine] are wonderful and very friendly. They remembered us every time and made us feel comfortable. It’s important to go in with a plan of what you want - the process is much slower than what you’d typically hope for. ... They [nurses] are not very warm and inviting. The doctors are more passionate than the nurses for sure.
We was helpful however it was hard to get in contact with her. It seemed like she didn’t care too much, but she was very knowledgeable in what she was talking about and explained things well. She said I wasn’t ovulating, but I’ve had positive results so I feel like she isn’t getting to the bottom of what’s really going on and why I’m not getting pregnant.
Do your own research. Be your own advocate.
The appointment was so quick and felt rushed.
I have had all the testing done, from a HSG, ultrasounds, hormones tested, you name it and everything came back normal. I’ve had two IUI treatments & it was the same protocol both times (had to take an ovulation medicine then give myself a trigger shot in the belly the night before the IUI.) Husband went in the next morning and a few hours later than injected his sperm into me. Neither time I got pregnant.
They are not very warm and inviting. The doctors are more passionate than the nurses for sure.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The front desk employees are wonderful and very friendly. They remembered us every time and made us feel comfortable. It’s important to go in with a plan of what you want - the process is much slower than what you’d typically hope for.
Everything was out of pocket. The appointments were $40, plus bloodwork for me and my husband $100 each. Each IUI it cost for the ultrasound to check the eggs, and sperm analysis and insemination $2k. HSG was $600 I believe.
Norfolk
I was very happy on how caring she [Dr. Laurel Stadtmauer] was in the process of ivf and how long it will take to recover after egg retrieval in April and that with Covid-19 I have waited until I can come bto do my frozen transfer when I could do it again. ... Gonnal-F pen, ganirelex, and the protocols and how to do the shots and wasn't that hard to do.
The clinic doesn't have any weakness that I saw. The strengths they have is calling you back right away that way you now what the next steps will be with ivf and when to do your shots and they get you in and out in timely matter. ... [the nursing staff] Very nice and understanding and caring. ... Doing a frozen embryo was better because of quilty.
I was very happy on how caring she was in the process of ivf and how long it will take to recover after egg retrieval in April and that with Covid-19 I have waited until I can come bto do my frozen transfer when I could do it again.
That Laurel stadtmauer would be a good doctor to help them through everything.
I felt cared for and she understood.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lena and Heather)
Very nice and understanding and caring.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
My health insurance covered most of it
Doing a frozen embryo was better because of quilty.
Virginia Beach

immediately felt uplifted to be under her [Dr. Bocca's] care. She has a wonderful bed side manner and she is compassionate, yet professional. She explains everything in detail in regards to my care. She encourages you to ask questions and takes her time answering them. I have never left the appointment with any unanswered questions...She explained the lab tests that she was ordering and what results she would be looking for in those tests. She had changed my fertility medication from Clomid to Letrozole and explained in detail that the Letrozole would encourage a thicker uterine lining.
The nursing staff [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] have always been very friendly, empathetic, and extremely professional. They are always eager to answer any of your questions and concerns. They have always made me feel comfortable and I truly feel like they are the Patient's Advocate... I have called many times with questions and the front desk was always happy to help me. The clinic is always very clean. The waiting area is spacious with comfortable couches and chairs with a TV playing HGTV which we know everyone enjoys, a nice distraction while you wait for your appointment.
My initial consultation appointment with Dr. Bocca was in August 2018. Before meeting Dr. Bocca, I had felt discouraged. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 4 years (now going on 5 years) with a history of an ectopic pregnancy that resulted in emergency surgery which later resulted in losing my right fallopian tube. We had also had a biochemical pregnancy while I was on Clomid prescribed by my OBGYN. I was on Clomid for 3 months. After those 3 months, we finally made the decision to schedule an appointment with Dr. Bocca. At the consultation, Dr. Bocca was very friendly, professional, and explained everything in detail. She answered all of our questions and concerns. She explained the lab tests that she was ordering and what results she would be looking for in those tests. She had changed my fertility medication from Clomid to Letrozole and explained in detail that the Letrozole would encourage a thicker uterine lining. She explained that Letrozole would be a better option because of my fibroid history. She also addressed a plan of action on getting a sperm analysis for my husband to rule out male factor infertility. Dr. Bocca recommended IUI for our next plan of action. She gave clear written instructions on the steps for my next upcoming ovulation cycle i.e. making appointments, taking medications, trigger injections. After leaving that first consultation appointment with Dr. Bocca, I felt encouraged and hopeful which I hadn't felt that way in years. My husband and I decided to do our first round with timed intercourse which resulted in a negative pregnancy. After that we proceeded with Dr. Bocca's recommendation of IUI. We have done 2 IUIs so far. My second IUI resulted in another biochemical pregnancy. After my failed IUIs, I had another appointment with Dr.Bocca to discuss the next plan of action. During that appointment, she was very compassionate and was aware that I was feeling grief. She explained to me my blood work results that was done days prior to the appointment. She had explained that it would be beneficial to have a Hysteroscopy to investigate the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries. Along with the Hysteroscopy, she recommended that IVF is our next plan of action. While that was tough news to hear, she delivered that information in a compassionate and gentle manner. She made sure to take the time to answer any of my questions or concerns during that appointment. I am currently scheduled for the Hysteroscopy for next week.
I would tell the prospective patient of Dr. Bocca to trust the process. It may be a long road ahead, but under her care you will get the answers that you have been searching for. Always ask questions, share your concerns, and remain hopeful. This is Dr. Bocca's profession and she will leave no rock unturned.
Upon first meeting Dr. Bocca at my consultation appointment back in August 2018, I immediately felt uplifted to be under her care. She has a wonderful bed side manner and she is compassionate, yet professional. She explains everything in detail in regards to my care. She encourages you to ask questions and takes her time answering them. I have never left the appointment with any unanswered questions.
She had changed my fertility medication from Clomid to Letrozole and explained in detail that the Letrozole would encourage a thicker uterine lining. She explained that Letrozole would be a better option because of my fibroid history. She also addressed a plan of action on getting a sperm analysis for my husband to rule out male factor infertility. Dr. Bocca recommended IUI for our next plan of action. She gave clear written instructions on the steps for my next upcoming ovulation cycle. I was instructed to call on cycle day 1 to make an appointment for an ultrasound around cycle day 10. I was also prescribed Letrozole 5mg and to take on cycle day 3 through cycle day 7. On cycle day 10, I would go in for an ultrasound to look at the thickness of the uterine lining and to look at the size of the follicles. If the uterine lining and follicles weren't measuring at certain size , the office would schedule another ultrasound two days later to look at the progress. After the ultrasound, if the uterine lining was thick enough and the follicle growth was at the recommended size; They gave me very clear written timed instructions with the "trigger" Injection which was Ovidrel 0.5mg. She explained that this would trigger the ovaries to release the follicles. Then, I would scheduled an appointment for the IUI. The IUI was performed quickly and easily.During the IUI, the doctor would explain every step that was occurring. After the IUI was performed, I was instructed to lay flat for fifteen minutes after the IUI. Afterwards, I was given clear written instructions to start taking Progesterone 50 mg suppositories at bedtime for 14 days due to low levels of progesterone and the date to take an at home pregnancy test. If the pregnancy test was negative, I was instructed to stop taking the Progesterone. If the pregnancy test was positive, I was to call the office to schedule a BETA lab (Blood work to confirm pregnancy). Sadly, after my second IUI, I had a biochemical pregnancy. After my failed IUIs, I had another appointment with Dr.Bocca to discuss the next plan of action. During that appointment, she was very compassionate and was aware that I was feeling grief. She explained to me my blood work results that was done days prior to the appointment. She had explained that it would be beneficial to have a Hysteroscopy to investigate the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries. Along with the Hysteroscopy, she recommended that IVF is our next plan of action. While that was tough news to hear, she delivered that information in a compassionate and gentle manner. She made sure to take the time to answer any of my questions or concerns during that appointment. I am currently scheduled for the Hysteroscopy for next week.
The nursing staff have always been very friendly, empathetic, and extremely professional. They are always eager to answer any of your questions and concerns. They have always made me feel comfortable and I truly feel like they are the Patient's Advocate.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic and the staff are always very friendly and greet you with a smile. The front desk checks you in immediately and for the most part, I have been seen by the Nurse or Doctor by my appointment time (which is unheard of at doctor offices). If you have any questions, they are always willing to give you the answer or find out the answer. I have called many times with questions and the front desk was always happy to help me. The clinic is always very clean. The waiting area is spacious with comfortable couches and chairs with a TV playing HGTV which we know everyone enjoys, a nice distraction while you wait for your appointment.
The test that were associated with my care included: Basic semen analysis-$110.00 Day 3 bloodwork (FSH,LH,E2)-$250.00 in house, **Labcorp-$380.00 Cycle Day Ultrasound-$190.00 (done several times, insurance has been covering some costs of the ultrasounds). Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) with Sperm wash-$255.00 (IUI), $240.00 (sperm wash) **Have done this twice** Semen/Sperm Cryopreservation- $450.00 with $35.00 process with IUI preparation. Medications: Ovidrel Injection-$ 175.00 **Have filled prescription 3 times** Progeresterone suppositories (14 day supply) - $20.00 **Have filled prescription 3 times** Letrozole 5mg (cycle day 3-cycle 7)-$20.00 **Have filled prescription 3 times** An estimation of my current costs are between $3,000.00 to $4,000.00 as of 2/12/2019.
Norfolk

[Dr. Pakrashi] is so caring. She genuinely wants you to get pregnant and listens to you. As women, we understand our bodies and she listens to all your concerns and adjusts treatment based on response and your input.... We changed protocol completely based on my previous responses. I was worried that I might be resistant to clomid so she suggested a trial run with timed intercourse to see my response before we moved forward.
Always caring and compassionate. They [Jones Institute for Reproductive Med] are rooting for you!... Weaknesses: nurses station could do better with call backs and reading notes. Really the only negative thing I can say. Strengths: nurses have great bed side manner when you are present. Work hard to get you in and out in a timely manner. They do well in relaying messages to the doctors.... IUI $600 IVF range $6500-8000
How was your experience with Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
There are no weaknesses I can report on. My first doctor, I felt like a number. He didn't deter from treatment protocol based on my response of first IVF to our 2nd. I had seen Dr Pak a few times during the course of my treatments and knew I wanted her to head my 3rd IVF transfer. We changed protocol completely based on my previous responses. I was worried that I might be resistant to clomid so she suggested a trial run with timed intercourse to see my response before we moved forward. She is a great listener. She is compassionate and truly wants what is best for you. She allows you to be an advocate for yourself. She will discuss research and new studies with you. Etc. She encourages you to do your own research and will talk to you about your findings. She is top notch and I am hopeful for this next round.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask. If there is something you want to try, don't be afraid to ask. She is warm and inviting.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Pak is so caring. She genuinely wants you to get pregnant and listens to you. As women, we understand our bodies and she listens to all your concerns and adjusts treatment based on response and your input.
Describe the protocols Tarita Pakrashi used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We have not started our cycle but did do a clomid test trial and I responded beautifully. I am considered a poor responder and my last 2 IVF I was on max dose. She suggested a clomid/menopur min stimulation. I responded beautifully in our clomid test run, better than my IVFs. We are looking forward to our new protocol and hopeful we will get pregnant.
Always caring and compassionate. They are rooting for you!
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
IUI $600 IVF range $6500-8000
Describe Tarita Pakrashi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
She lets you decide. But the clinic won't transfer more than 2.
Norfolk

Dr. Pakrashi is one of the warmest souls you'll meet in one of the toughest situations you'll find yourself in. She enters every room with a smile, repeats your name often in dialogue, which reassures me she's constantly active in your case. She talks about helping families conceive with passion, empathy and compassion.... My experience trying to conceive is from a multi-disciplinary approach, as I have several specialists working together to ensure a safe future pregnancy due to health conditions I live with. She is willing to compromise with other doctors and cater to their concerns as they arise, and the best part is that I have reassurance that none of these small hurdles will interfere with fertility treatments.
Everyone at the clinic [Jones Institute], from the front desk to the doctors are so warm and friendly. I don't see any weaknesses from this practice, even if I haven't received the results I wanted... yet. They give me the confidence and strength that I need each month to keep on....Ultrasounds (if not paid for by insurance) are $190...luckily mine are covered. IUI(self-pay) is $255. I pay $55 for them to wash my husband's frozen sperm along with that. He gave a sample and is storing it in the cryo lab. He gave enough for 6 vials to be stored. For a year of storage, we paid $450. Everything requires payment up front. I was told only with IVF do they offer payment plans.
My experience trying to conceive is from a multi-disciplinary approach, as I have several specialists working together to ensure a safe future pregnancy due to health conditions I live with. She is willing to compromise with other doctors and cater to their concerns as they arise, and the best part is that I have reassurance that none of these small hurdles will interfere with fertility treatments. She puts the patient's health above all and wants the patient to live a fully normal life, unlike many other reproductive endocrinologists who set limit upon limit during the course of your cycle.
Voice your concerns. She is always willing to listen and help out, so there's no need to hide your insecurities, frustrations or concerns.
Dr. Pakrashi is one of the warmest souls you'll meet in one of the toughest situations you'll find yourself in. She enters every room with a smile, repeats your name often in dialogue, which reassures me she's constantly active in your case. She talks about helping families conceive with passion, empathy and compassion. There's nothing more I could ask for in a doctor in this scenario.
On cycle day(CD) 1, I call the office to schedule an ultrasound. On CDs 3-7, I take 5 mg of letrozole. Around CD 12-13, I go in for an ultrasound. Usually it's CD 11-12 for others, but I tend to ovulate later. Based on the ultrasound, I may have to come back if the follicles and lining are not the right size. Otherwise, I will be instructed on taking ovidrel. Twenty four to 36 hours or so later, I will go in for IUI. Two days later, I will start progesterone. Fourteen days after that, I will test at home. If negative, I stop progesterone and call on day 1 to repeat cycle. If positive, I go in for a blood pregnancy test. I'm not sure what happens after that. Letrozole has done wonders for my ovulation ability. I used to not ovulate, but now I'm producing one or two mature follicles, which makes me feel confident I'm going in the right direction.
I've most most, if not all of the nurses and they are all very friendly. Heather responds within a day or two if I send a message through the portal, which is what I look for in any doctor.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Everyone at the clinic, from the front desk to the doctors are so warm and friendly. I don't see any weaknesses from this practice, even if I haven't received the results I wanted... yet. They give me the confidence and strength that I need each month to keep on.
Norfolk

Dr. Bocca ha wonderful bed side manner. She was mostly present during all of ultrasounds. At each visit she would explane everything she saw on the monitor. She went into great detail to make sure I too understand what I was seeing. When test results came back, she explained everything in detail and made sure none of questions went unanswered. ... Mine was your standard protocol from what I remember. Transfer on or around day 15 and the amount of medicine I used was what they give most of the patients. When my treatment had to be changed a little after results of a test I had done showed we transferred the embryo too soon, they brought me in and went through everything step by step to make sure I understood the changes and why they were happening.
This clinic [Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine], although they have a large number of patients, always made me feel like I was the only one being treated. I felt like all the attention I needed was given to me and every question I had was answered. They even had me sit down with the embryologist when I had questions specific to embryo grading. ... I don’t really know of any weeknesses honestly. I never had a problem while I was there. Their strength is definitely communication. Excellent all around. And their bed side manner. From the students in training to the doctors, everyone was experts in their field. ...
Be open and honest. You don’t know what you don’t know. Dr. Bocca is very kind and will explain everything to you.
This clinic, although they have a large number of patients, always made me feel like I was the only one being treated. I felt like all the attention I needed was given to me and every question I had was answered. They even had me sit down with the embryologist when I had questions specific to embryo grading. My doctor and the entire staff at Jones Institute were fantastic and I felt like family every time I was there.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lena )
Lena was AMAZING! Always available and always so thorough! She helped me above and beyond any nurse I’ve ever known in my life. She felt like my mom or my sister at times because she was just kind with her approach.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I would say all in all it cost be 15K.
Norfolk
Dr. Pakrashi convinced me I could have everything I want, despite my diminished ovarian reserve. She would stop on the hallway and spend time checking on my progress even if I was only there for a nursing appointment...would make jokes and eased my mind when I felt discouraged. When she realized the first IUI did not work (timing of my body went against her schedule), she was sure to change the process and do the second insemination personally. It worked! I still can't believe I have a daughter. Thank you x a million!! She is perfect just like you said she would be.
All of the nurses [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] took their time with me and were very friendly. I still remember their faces. They were knowledgeable especially with understanding fertility calendars...I am a veteran, so the VA paid for my procedures due to my fertility issues stemming from a deployment. I did have to pay for donor viles and my medications and shots. Altogether I spent about $600 per try...Sometimes it is hard to reach the office. I was very persistent and would drive 30 minutes and show up for a face to face conversation. Fortunately, though the phone lines are very busy, they are very friendly, reassuring, and happy to help. Dr. Tarita Pakrashi is the best doctor for the job if you want to make a baby. She knows exactly what she is doing and she is so kind. She would refer to my baby as my baby before she was even conceived. I believed in the process because of her but she was also very honest about the statistics and set goals with me. I was pregnant before the first goal time. I started seeing her in July, finished the testing and choosing my frozen donor processes by September, my first try was unsuccessful in October, and the 2nd IUI was successful with a positive test on Thanksgiving. I was very lucky. The goal was to be pregnant by December.
Dr. PAKRASHI would make jokes and eased my mind when I felt discouraged. When she realized the first IUI did not work (timing of my body went against her schedule), she was sure to change the process and do the second insemination personally. It worked! I still can't believe I have a daughter. Thank you x a million!! She is perfect just like you said she would be.
Just tell her your issues, ask questions. And follow directions to the T. She knows what she's doing. At first I thought she was too nice and the things she said were too good to be true...but when she says don't worry so much and tells you what to do, DO IT.
The 1st cycle was clomid and she measured my eggs, then I took the shot in my belly the day before the IUI. I remember the first try being very painful and done by a doctor I didn't know. I went back and told Dr. Pakrashi on the next cycle and she said it should not have been that way and she would personally do my second try. We changed to Femara and she did the next procedure.
All of the nurses took their time with me and were very friendly. I still remember their faces. They were knowledgeable especially with understanding fertility calendars.
Virginia Beach

She [Dr. Silvina Bocca] did an HSG on me found out I had hydrosalpinx and referred me to a dr ito to have surgery for the removal of the tube in order to be able to start ivf...She made me feel like I was right at home with family. She made me feel like a mother to be rather than a patient or a number. She calmed me down every appointment because I have anxiety and I wouldn't trade her as my doctor for anything...She is very nice professional and good at what she does. Best doctor ever. She makes sure her patients are seen as mothers and fathers to be not patients.
The clinic [Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] is very homey feeling all the staff are nice and very good at their jobs. There are no weaknesses as far as I can see. They are the best ever. They make sure you understand everything step by step...They always make me feel calm because I'm always nervous when I go to appointments...they have payment plans with half down of full ivf...Dr bocca is one of the best doctors I've ever seen. She is very nice professional and good at what she does. Best doctor ever. She makes sure her patients are seen as mothers and fathers to be not patients.
Pick her shes the best.
She did an HSG on me found out I had hydrosalpinx and referred me to a dr ito to have surgery for the removal of the tube in order to be able to start ivf.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is very homey feeling all the staff are nice and very good at their jobs. There are no weaknesses as far as I can see. They are the best ever. They make sure you understand everything step by step.
The testing my insurance covered but as for ivf treatments they sint cover or meds but they have payment plans with half down of full ivf
Norfolk

She [Dr. Laurel Stadtmauer] is very knowledgeable in every aspect of infertility. She may be a bit hard to communicate with but when it comes down to it I trust her ability to point me in the right direction. She takes every question I have and gives me the honest answers that I would expect while going through infertility...She shows empathy and has complete knowledge of my past attempts. I don’t feel like I have to reiterate my journey every appointment.
Including a clinical IVF trial about $10,000 not including medication [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine]...Phone calls are a bit tough to be returned but other then that I have no complaints. From the front desk to the waiting room you feel comfortable and welcomed. It’s not the fanciest facility but I’d rather have old chairs and office decor old and have the money go into equipment and an incredible staff then a fancy place with a terrible staff.
She is very knowledgeable in every aspect of infertility. She may be a bit hard to communicate with but when it comes down to it I trust her ability to point me in the right direction. She takes every question I have and gives me the honest answers that I would expect while going through infertility.
Have patience.
The nurses are incredible and truly care for each patient.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Including a clinical IVF trial about $10,000 not including medication.
2010 - 2019, Successful
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Understand, that she [Dr. Silvina Bocca] is honest, and wants you to have a successful experience as much as you do.Understand, that she is honest, and wants you to have a successful experience as much as you do...In 2010, my leukemia relapsed and Dr. Bocca decided to put me on a trial to remove half of my ovary and save ovarian tissue with immature eggs to one day possibly transplant that tissue back on to my ovary for me to produce an egg. I was #13 on the study. Now they know, to get the cancer patient in remission, do fertility treatments to produce mature eggs to freeze. Science is awesome! She made the right decision for the science that was available at the time.
The nursing staff [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] is great, however I do feel sometimes they are too busy for compassion...Strengths: Easy scheduling, responsive nurses, clean Weaknesses: The Jones Institute is a part of EVMS which is a school, the changing staff can be draw back. This is because you don’t get to make those relationships. Infertility is such a private matter, and it has an element of embarrassment. So, when you are constantly having to meet unfamiliar staff it can feel awkward.
Dr. Bocca has a way of keeping my fertility reality, which is being post menopausal at 30-years-old due to cancer treatments, hopeful, but at the same time realistic which is a combo I fully appreciate as a patient.
Dr. Bocca saw me the day they confirmed my leukemia had relapsed. She was compassionate, straight forward and she took the time to explain what was likely to happen to my fertility to a very devastated 20-year-old.
Something to remember is science is constantly changing. In 2010, my leukemia relapsed and Dr. Bocca decided to put me on a trial to remove half of my ovary and save ovarian tissue with immature eggs to one day possibly transplant that tissue back on to my ovary for me to produce an egg. I was #13 on the study. Now they know, to get the cancer patient in remission, do fertility treatments to produce mature eggs to freeze. Science is awesome! She made the right decision for the science that was available at the time.
The nursing staff is great, however I do feel sometimes they are too busy for compassion.
Norfolk

During my first appointment with Dr. Stadtmauer, she was very attentive, understanding, and communicated well with me. I had a good knowledge of my diagnosis and she was able to answer my questions more directly, while giving me a piece of mind and reassuring me she was confident in treatment options, which was very relieving....So far, I have used Letrozole and Clomid to help release mature follicles before IUI. Because I have PCOS, I do not ovulate on my own and have to take Progesterone to bring on my cycle.
Reaching the clinic [Jones - Norfolk] via the phone is very easy, straight forward, and a wonderful experience. The receptionist and nurses are pleasant and helpful over the phone. The portal online has been a good resource to use, although a few times I have gotten delays in responses a little longer than expected or hoped....Dr. Stadtmauer's billing team has done a fantastic job making sure billing procedure codes are properly done to ensure coverage is effective.
I loved Dr. Stadtmauer and her communication. She never lets me speak negatively and is always assuring me there are new medications and treatments to try. She reminds me my diagnosis is common, I am young, and she has more positive outcomes than negative outcomes in my case and is always excited to see me and start another round. She makes me excited to come and see her and not dread another failed cycle like I have in the past.
Be open! She is there to communicate with and she will not be able to fully express her medical advice and expertise if you don't explain all the problems. She is VERY knowledgeable and very willing to take the next step to ensure her patients are happy and comfortable.
During my first appointment with Dr. Stadtmauer, she was very attentive, understanding, and communicated well with me. I had a good knowledge of my diagnosis and she was able to answer my questions more directly, while giving me a piece of mind and reassuring me she was confident in treatment options, which was very relieving. The only downfall I would have to say was that due to having to come multiple times a week for appointments and measurements, I would sometimes see other physicians who were not updated on my care or aware of my concerns and diagnosis at all, almost as if they had not read my chart at all. I did not have a problem seeing another physician, but was never notified, and struggled to communicate and get my questions answered when meeting with someone other than Dr. Stadtmauer.
So far, I have used Letrozole and Clomid to help release mature follicles before IUI. Because I have PCOS, I do not ovulate on my own and have to take Progesterone to bring on my cycle. Because of this, I can go months with no cycle, resulting in very heavy cycles once I take the Progesterone. Dr. Stadtmauer was able to help track my follicle growth and measurements of my lining to ensure proper timing of ovulation, as heavy cycles resulted in longer cycles and threw of normal schedules. Unfortunately, after three cycles of Letrozole, she was unable to find mature follicles to be released by the trigger shot so we are going to repeat this process with Clomid next month.
The nurses were all very supportive and always showed compassion and were very uplifting even after appointments with not so great news. They always had smiling faces, know me by name, and are always VERY helpful via phone, in office and in the exam rooms.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Reaching the clinic via the phone is very easy, straight forward, and a wonderful experience. The receptionist and nurses are pleasant and helpful over the phone. The portal online has been a good resource to use, although a few times I have gotten delays in responses a little longer than expected or hoped. Wait times have been average, although they could be better. Getting an appointment is sometimes hard, but with a busy office that is expected.
The office visits with Dr. Stadtmauer were covered by my insurance, with just a copay being patient responsibility. The ultrasound appointments were covered and billed correctly, which was a relief, as some in the past have been billed as experimental and not covered. All lab tests have been covered as well. Dr. Stadtmauer's billing team has done a fantastic job making sure billing procedure codes are properly done to ensure coverage is effective. I have gotten a break down of costs up front before vists and ultrasounds with the price in case my insurance was to deny or not cover the services so I am aware of the costs before the services are rendered.
This has not been an option in my care yet.

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr Bocca is very intelligent and knows her stuff. She has a way of being compassionate yet very direct in communication. I have always felt like she has my interest at heart....In the beginning she is difficult to see because she is so popular. Probably one of the hardest to get an appointment with. But she is very knowledgeable about many things when it comes to endometriosis....For my retrieval process I started with Lupron due to having endometriosis.
The nursing staff at the Jones is absolutely some of the best nursing staff I’ve ever worked with....The front desk isn’t always quick and the Virginia Beach office shares with another clinic so the wait time is always super long. I don’t suggest going there if I can avoid it. You will see all the doctors at the clinic while there and all of them are great! They have amazing residents and I always appreciate the learning atmosphere.
Dr Bocca is very intelligent and knows her stuff. She has a way of being compassionate yet very direct in communication. I have always felt like she has my interest at heart. I’ve lost two babies to miscarriage in this process so there have been times where she is quick to diagnose. I think it shows her knowledge and sometimes it’s helpful to spend more time. However she is always willing to do whatever I need to do to make things easier to process.
Dr Bocca is very patient and supportive. Even with not so good news I’ve been very happy with her treatment and encouragement
For my retrieval process I started with Lupron due to having endometriosis. I overstimulated this cycle and they canceled a fresh transfer due to being hospitalized. I think that was a good move because I was sick for a very long time. For frozen transfer I used patches/pills and IM progesterone. The first cycle we transferred 2 blasts and had successful twin pregnancy. We did lose one baby in the first trimester. Second frozen transfer was completed this month with success and literally completed a DNC this morning to complete the miscarriage. We have now decided to do genetic testing as a result of this due to losing to babies with viable heartbeats.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Margo)
The nursing staff at the Jones is absolutely some of the best nursing staff I’ve ever worked with. And when you do this enough you really spend a lot of time with them. My Ivf coordinator is so compassionate. After my dnc procedure today I had hugs and support from every nurse i came in contact with. That’s HUGE. every appointment they always check on you and want to be sure your emotions are ok.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The front desk isn’t always quick and the Virginia Beach office shares with another clinic so the wait time is always super long. I don’t suggest going there if I can avoid it. You will see all the doctors at the clinic while there and all of them are great! They have amazing residents and I always appreciate the learning atmosphere. I feel like a teaching school is always best for a patient because they are always interested in educating.
The medications were some of the most expensive. I spent 4000 on meds for first cycle. I did have insurance pick up some of price but the most helpful thing is they bill me whatever is contracted pricing. I’ve had to pay for two frozen transfers which are a couple thousand each time. However I’ve had other experiences such as OHSS they required several days in a hospital. I’ve also just recently had to have a dnc due to missed miscarriage. All these extra costs are outside the normal fertility treatment.
Describe Silvina Bocca's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Our clinic was ok transferring one blast due to the high quality of embryos I had. Initially I was ok with twins and we transferred two but we did not continue that the next transfer
Norfolk

Dr. Oehninger answered all questions that I had for him. During my stimulation cycle at appointments where I saw him quickly for an ultrasound there were always other doctors in the room and he let them take the lead and explain to me although it seemed he was the one making the decisions. When it was one on one during the consultation I felt that this Dr. was more personable and shared his experience and expertise with me regarding what I should do next.
This clinic's strengths are they [Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine] have a well known rate of pregnancies dated back many years. The Dr.'s all work together and make decisions daily together about the patients. I never had trouble getting an appointment and all messages sent through the patient portal were always received and responded to in a timely manner.... Dr. Oehninger answered all questions that I had for him.
How was your experience with Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
He has a quiet and serious demeanor. If you have questions ask them
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
At first he said very little the few times that I saw him during my stimulation appointments. I currently met with him again for a consultation to discuss my future protocol and get his advice and he was very helpful. He looked at and explained many of the results from my first failed transfer. He told me what we would do differently next time and was able to give me his expertise on some concerns that I had about cysts they found last time. He also had research to back up this expertise.
Describe the protocols Sergio Oehninger used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
During my IVF cycle I took Follistim, menopur and ganirelix. After the transfer I was on progesterone oil injections and estrogen patches. During this cycle they found that I have 2 endometrioma cysts. This protocol resulted in 5 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized and 2 being transferred.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic's strengths are they have a well known rate of pregnancies dated back many years. The Dr.'s all work together and make decisions daily together about the patients. I never had trouble getting an appointment and all messages sent through the patient portal were always received and responded to in a timely manner.
Sergio Oehninger

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. O [Oehninger] has a long history of success in the field, and decades of experience which began working directly under the doctor who pioneered IVF in the US. He excells at giving informed, detailed comparisons between different established treatment options.... Between attempts, he was very hands-off. We had to initiate the next step on our own when some encouragement would have been helpful. When we had consultations to determine the next course of actions, he didn't always seem as familiar with our treatment history as I would have liked.
The clinic [Jones Institute] has been doing this longer than any other in the country. Framed photos of annual Mother's Day picnics with families the clinic has assisted are inspiring at first, but more painful to see after years without success.... Payment was easy, and the clinic-provided installment billing plan for big-ticket fertility treatment was helpful... Unfortunately the clinic insists on useing a "Patient Portal" system which is a gatekeeper to communication with doctors and nurses. The only effective way to communicate in real time is in person at an appointment. T
Dr. O has a long history of success in the field, and decades of experience which began working directly under the doctor who pioneered IVF in the US. He excells at giving informed, detailed comparisons between different established treatment options. Our discussions led us first to try 4 rounds of IUI, the first 3 each leading to a very early miscarriage, and the last failing to develop a viable egg. Between attempts, he was very hands-off. We had to initiate the next step on our own when some encouragement would have been helpful. When we had consultations to determine the next course of actions, he didn't always seem as familiar with our treatment history as I would have liked. After the unsuccessful IUIs, we asked again about the clinic's donor embryo program which had been briefly discussed in our first visit, and decided it was the next best step. After being matched with a frozen embryo suprisingly quickly and completing other prequisites of the program, Dr. O implanted the one embryo which survived the thaw. The first couple weeks of pregnancy progressed normally, but after some minor bleeding we were brought in for an early ultrasound and the dosage of progesterone injections was doubled as a precaution. However, there was additional bleeding and discharge a couple weeks later, and another ultrasound showed the pregnancy was lost. At that point, Dr. O was careful not to give us any false hope as we scheduled addtional follow-ups. However, he did not prepare us for the extremely unpleasant and painful side effects of the medications to induce completion of the miscarriage. That experience culminated in a 2am emergency room visit, narcotics to manage the pain, and another ultrasound the next morning when the clinic was open. After this last visit, Dr. O retired and we expect to be transferred to one of his colleagues, most of whom we met at one point or another.
Not applicable since he is now retired.
Dr. O was friendly and offered encouragment when the facts and odds supported it. He also kept a professional distance, but some difficult news was relayed in an abrupt manner which made it more difficult to hear.
We tried 4 rounds of IUI, the first 3 each leading to a very early miscarriage, and the last failing to develop a viable egg. Since my wife has never had regular cycles, medication was needed to trigger it each time. Each time there were one or two visits to ultrasound the ovaries and measure follicles before a viable one was identified and our IUI was scheduled. Semen analysis showed slightly low count each time but good motility. Every completed IUI let to a positive home pregnancy test, followed within days by a negative test. Due to the repeated failures of IUI, we decided that implanting a donated embryo was the next best option. After being matched with a frozen embryo suprisingly quickly and completing other prequisites of the program, Dr. O implanted the one embryo which survived the thaw. The first couple weeks of pregnancy progressed normally, but after some minor bleeding we were brought in for an early ultrasound and the dosage of progesterone injections was doubled as a precaution. However, there was additional bleeding and discharge a couple weeks later, and another ultrasound showed the pregnancy was lost. At that point, Dr. O was careful not to give us any false hope as we scheduled addtional follow-ups. However, he did not prepare us for the extremely unpleasant and painful side effects of the medications to induce completion of the miscarriage. That experience culminated in a 2am emergency room visit, narcotics to manage the pain, and another ultrasound the next morning when the clinic was open. After this last visit, Dr. O retired and we expect to be transferred to one of his colleagues, most of whom we met at one point or another.
Almost the entire nursing staff was very friendly, professional, and helpful in person. Their ability to draw blood from a patient with hard-to-find veins (my wife) varied significantly. Blood was drawn at every check-up, and I don't think they got her on the first try more than once or twice out of dozens of visits. Often it took 3 or 4 tries, and switching to less common and more painful areas. One nurse, who unfortunately managed most of our phone and internet communication with the rest of the staff, was much less helpful than anyone else on the staff. Numerous times our messages were relayed with significant delay as well as inaccurately with regard to tone or even content. We dreaded communicating through the clinic's phone or internet "portal" for this specific reason, and feared any complaint would lead to even worse service from the same nurse. Several times I suggested switching our next treatment to different clinic, even though we were quite happy with almost everything else at this one, specifically because of this nurse and the "portal" communication system. Managing prescriptions from local pharmacies was nightmare, due to convoluted preauthorization rules and documents to be routed back through clinic bureaucracy (combined with the fact the insurance covered almost nothing yet they kept trying to get approval). This often delays which sometimes came close to impacting treatment. However, Mandell's mail-order pharmacy (mostly for injections) was incredibly accomodating and easy to work with, aside from the unavoidable requirement to be home when the medicine was delivered.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic has been doing this longer than any other in the country. Framed photos of annual Mother's Day picnics with families the clinic has assisted are inspiring at first, but more painful to see after years without success. But the clinic also partners with Operation Hope/RESOLVE, and connecting to that organization was helpful in finding support and dealing with the heartbreak. Many prescriptions from the clinic get routed and rerouted through a lot of unnecessary bureaucracy. As with every other medical estabilishment we've dealt with, bills and insurance decisions are incomprehensible. Payment was easy, and the clinic-provided installment billing plan for big-ticket fertility treatment was helpful (half up front, rest spread over 6 months with no interest) although there was a glitch with the automatic payment system. Unfortunately the clinic insists on useing a "Patient Portal" system which is a gatekeeper to communication with doctors and nurses. The only effective way to communicate in real time is in person at an appointment. The "portal" system was consistenly an obstruction to communication and care. Eventually we learned what almost everything was routed through one specific nurse assigned to our doctor, and we believe much of the problem was with that individual, but the system itself was flawed in theory and practice. We are hopeful that since our doctor has now retired, we may have a different gatekeeper nurse when we begin treatment with a new doctor.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Roughly $15,000 for 4 IUI attempts, donor embryo program and transfer, medication, and associated tests.
Describe Sergio Oehninger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
We were very confused by apparently conflicting information about the number of frozen donated embroys available to us for implantation, and how many survived which stages of the process. This was eventually mostly cleared up, but it took several discussions with different people. However, the clinic policy of not allowing more than two embryos to be implanted was always clear.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
On a couple occasions were were told to expect a call with test results by a specific time, but did not get it until the next day or until we asked. During the embryo thaw process, we got initially got conflicting information about how many embroys survived, but this was eventually cleared up when we asked and got more detail about the different stages of the thawing and preparation process. At 7 weeks with an implanted embryo, my wife had a suspected miscarriage in the middle of week of vacation in a foreign country. We sent a very detailed description of events and request for guidance to the clinic via the internet based patient portal system, explaining our concerns with the cost and potential outcomes of uninsured medical treatment in a foreign country with a language barrier. We got a response from the nurse through the "patient portal" system telling us to go to an emergency room with no attempt made to address our specific concerns. Because we did not feel that our situation was adequately considered but had no other way to communicate with competent staff at the clinic, we made a very difficult decision do go against this advice and wait until we returned home to address the issue with a visit to the clinic.
Sergio Oehninger
Norfolk

Dr. Stadtmauer is very clinical in her approach to patient care - I would say limited on the warm and fuzzies - but you can tell she has compassion and empathy for her patients. And she is very, very knowledgable about fertility issues and felt like she never spoke down to me or was short with me when I asked a hundred questions.... she's not the hand-holding, warm and fuzzy type of doctor. But I did not need that at all since this was my third cycle and I felt pretty good about what to expect at that point.
Strengths - very smart, patiently answers all questions, is direct and no-nonsense and explains everything very well. Weaknesses - she's not the hand-holding, warm and fuzzy type of doctor. But I did not need that at all since this was my third cycle and I felt pretty good about what to expect at that point.
She's no nonsense.
The nursing staff were very warm. They take the time to answer all your questions and they are incredibly responsive via the portal. Same day, if not within hours, usually!
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Jones' strength is that they are part of a Medical School, so a few times I had students in the room during appointments and some procedures. The Doctor will ask you first if you are comfortable with the student in the room. I liked that Jones is part of a Medical School because I felt like they would be at the cutting-edge of research. They are also doing studies at the clinic, and I would have participated if I qualified because I wanted to help study fertility (and also get some discounts!). I loved that there was a team of doctor's so I never had to worry about my doctor being sick the day of a transfer or retrieval (this is the stuff you worry about at a solo-doctor clinic after you spend tens of thousands on a drug protocol for the weeks leading up to "the big day".) I also liked how there was more than one doctor looking at my case because you get more expertise weighing in. Weakness would be the clinical setting if you want a super sensitive, hand-holding experience.
We qualified for a "buy two cycles, get your third for free - or receive half your money back" program and that put my mind at ease!
I only had one embryo to use so this does not apply.
Virginia Beach

Dr Pakrashi is very compassionate and obviously cares for her patients and their outcomes. She listens and is very personal. She completes follow through by personally calling me to inquire how I'm feeling and be sure I understand the next step in the IVF process. ... Dr Pakrashi listened, showed empathy and gave us hope. ... Heartbroken, but wanting to give it one last attempt to complete our family we looked into IVF with gender selection
Strengths in this clinic [Jones Institute for Repro Med] is seen in the team of doctors and their knowledge. ... We could only financially do 1 IVF cycle, unfortunately there was not a normal female embryo for FET. Dr Pakrashi and the embryologist personally called to speak with us about our results in detail. ... The portal used by the office makes it easy to reach out and ask questions with responses in a timely manner.
Dr Pakrashi is very compassionate and obviously cares for her patients and their outcomes. She listens and is very personal. She completes follow through by personally calling me to inquire how I'm feeling and be sure I understand the next step in the IVF process. Our situation is unique in that prior to IVF we had 2 pregnancy losses. After that we used clomid and had our daughter in 2013. Wanting 1 more child and a sibling for our daughter, we tried to conceive again. Sadly we went on to have three pregnancy losses over the next 3-4 years, all three males diagnosed with arthrogryposis. Test after test left us with no reasoning why the reoccurrence happened. Heartbroken, but wanting to give it one last attempt to complete our family we looked into IVF with gender selection. Through many years of genetic counseling we thought if we could choose a female embryo that we could finally complete the family we have dreamed for (and stop the gut wrenching pain of recurrent loss). Dr Pakrashi listened, showed empathy and gave us hope. We could only financially do 1 IVF cycle, unfortunately there was not a normal female embryo for FET. Dr Pakrashi and the embryologist personally called to speak with us about our results in detail.
IVF was new for us. I thought I had read everything before I went in for the consultation and would remember what to ask. I would advise a prospective patient to bring your questions written down and have a notebook to take notes.
She is kind, warm hearted, personal, and provides quick responses and follow through. She calls you personally and stays in touch.
Menopur 150 morning and night Gonal F 300 units morning and night Cetrotide 0.25 mg x2 doses Lupron 40 units x 2 doses Started day 3 of menstrual cycle 13 eggs retrieved, 9 fertilized, 6 biopsied, 2 females, 4 males. No viable embryo for FET.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lena)
Lena was kind and on top of things. She went out of her way to make sure I understood everything. She was very personal and eager to help.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths in this clinic is seen in the team of doctors and their knowledge. The portal used by the office makes it easy to reach out and ask questions with responses in a timely manner. I would have liked more explanations into the way they choose what medications/protocols. However, I don't know that this would have changed our outcome.
$6750- Medications $400- Anesthesia $13,600- IVF circle with FET $600- Pre IVF testing All because our insurance doesn't cover any portion of IVF.
We only wanted to electively transfer 1 single female embryo. Dr Pakrashi agreed with us.
Norfolk
Dr Stadtmauer always makes me feel like we have options, even if it’s not what we first imagined.... She’s not phased by surprises or needs to make adjustments to plans, which really helps to keep me calm. When I didnt respond fast enough to the first round of IVF stimulation, she quickly changed course, adjusted meds, and moved forward. She also provided me with natural supplements (at my request) instead of more pills when I wanted to deal with blood sugar issues.
The Jones Institute has a wonderful reputation and is extremely convenient. And the nursing team in the clinic OR is spectacular. But with only one IVF coordinator nurse, it can be hard to get a hold of someone if you want to ask questions and receive immediate feedback. You have to be a patient patient.... There’s been a lot of turnover in the staffing of the primary IVF coordinator (we’ve worked with three different people in the last 9 months).
She’s not phased by surprises or needs to make adjustments to plans, which really helps to keep me calm. When I didnt respond fast enough to the first round of IVF stimulation, she quickly changed course, adjusted meds, and moved forward. She also provided me with natural supplements (at my request) instead of more pills when I wanted to deal with blood sugar issues. Her confidence and experience make everyone feel safe and cared for.
Trust her experience and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
Dr Stadtmauer always makes me feel like we have options, even if it’s not what we first imagined. She’s matter of fact but very calm and caring
We added human growth hormone to my first and second round of stimulation because I wasn’t responding fast enough to standard meds. This helped a lot. We also waited an extra day for the last stimulation before retrieval because she knew it took my body more time to develop the right size eggs.
There’s been a lot of turnover in the staffing of the primary IVF coordinator (we’ve worked with three different people in the last 9 months). But everyone has been very kind, very patient, and very understanding.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Like with all medical care, it’s important to remember that you are the only one advocating for yourself. You need to keep organized and make sure you follow up as needed. The Jones Institute has a wonderful reputation and is extremely convenient. And the nursing team in the clinic OR is spectacular. But with only one IVF coordinator nurse, it can be hard to get a hold of someone if you want to ask questions and receive immediate feedback. You have to be a patient patient.
We were very lucky to have IVF covered by our United HealthCare plan, so none of the services were painfully expensive except the medications (around $8K per round) and anesthesia, around $2K at first, but then cheaper once I hit my insurance deductible.
Norfolk

Dr. Bocca was always very pleasant, open and honest with me. She told me when unexpected things came up during a cycle.... During my experience with Dr. Bocca I felt that she was very knowledgeable. However, I did not feel that she explained things as thoroughly as I would have liked. During my IUI the results from my husbands sample came back much lower than any other tests had. She did mention this to me during the procedure and noted that we would still have a small chance of it working.
The IUI procedure cost close to $1,200 with everything involved.... During my IUI process I felt very optimistic until the day of the procedure when we got the bad news about my husbands sample. I feel that people are spending a lot of money and the clinic [Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] does a good job to be accommodating to patients and they get you in and out so that you are not sitting around waiting for long periods of time.
During my experience with Dr. Bocca I felt that she was very knowledgeable. However, I did not feel that she explained things as thoroughly as I would have liked. During my IUI the results from my husbands sample came back much lower than any other tests had. She did mention this to me during the procedure and noted that we would still have a small chance of it working. however, I got the idea that she knew it probably wasn't going to work, so I'm wondering if we even should have gone through with it or waited to find out what was going on from his end.
When she tells you something during an appointment don't feel that you need to just go with it and let them be on their way. Ask the Dr. to sit down and explain things to you thoroughly.
Dr. Bocca was always very pleasant, open and honest with me. She told me when unexpected things came up during a cycle. She was very sympathetic when my IUI and transfer did not work and was ready to get back to work to figure out what we could do next time.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I think that this is a great clinic. During my IUI process I felt very optimistic until the day of the procedure when we got the bad news about my husbands sample. I feel that people are spending a lot of money and the clinic does a good job to be accommodating to patients and they get you in and out so that you are not sitting around waiting for long periods of time.
The IUI procedure cost close to $1,200 with everything involved.
2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
I genuinely felt safer in my decision process knowing she [Dr. Bocca] was behind them. She was easy to talk to and gave great advice and didn’t make me feel like an idiot for asking hundreds of questions! She helped guide us to make decisions that worked best for us!...So we had come to a cross roads where we could go towards IVF , but she wanted us to try an ovulation induction that required a lot more medication including injectibles - follistim and ovidrel
Sometimes EVMs is difficult with their billing - I had been charged double in the past but once i brought it to their attention they fixed it immediately!! They never have a problem if I’m running late due to traffic and can squeeze me in - so grateful!!!...[Nursing Staff] Eager and willing to answer my hundreds of questions and with a smile on their face...my blood work didn’t get picked up with the rest of the blood work - it wasn’t an emergency situation where timing was vital but glad it wasn’t
I genuinely felt safer in my decision process knowing she was behind them. She was easy to talk to and gave great advice and didn’t make me feel like an idiot for asking hundreds of questions! She helped guide us to make decisions that worked best for us!
Be honest with her about your feelings, she won’t know unless you tell her
I can tell the genuine care i her voice and actions in helping us choose options
So we had come to a cross roads where we could go towards IVF , but she wanted us to try an ovulation induction that required a lot more medication including injectibles - follistim and ovidrel - my body reacted positively and we were able to conceive : unfortunately that pregnancy ended up in miscarriage after 10 weeks and 2 days but we had not been able to get pregnant before this so truly grateful to continue with Dr Bocca on this journey!
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance didn’t cover it with one job, and now it does
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
It wasn’t the clinics fault - my blood work didn’t get picked up with the rest of the blood work - it wasn’t an emergency situation where timing was vital but glad it wasn’t
Newport News
2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Due to my elevated FSH levels I receive a high dose to increase my chances of eggs. Unfortunately I didn’t produce them and had to cancel 3 cycles...As a patient of Dr Bocca I was very hopeful of the out come of my IVF cycle. She was very knowledgeable of the process and very helpful with all my questions. Each visit with her I loved that she tried to get to know me and my family. She even notice my weight lost, which I loved. I just really felt like she cared and understood my cries every time I left the office
Nurse staff [at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine] was very knowledgeable and nice on every visit...Strengths would be excellent Doctors and Nurse. Main weaknesses would be the high cost of everything. Most of Virginia’s insurances don’t cover treatment and this clinic has every high treatment prices for everything...Staff and Dr Bocca was always nice and pleasant. Her office gave me hope I could have a good cycle my body just didn’t give the results. Unable to continue due to no insurance coverage and unable to afford treatment. Doctor Nps
Advice I would give would be try to remain positive and try not to stress. You are in good hands
Nurse staff was very knowledgeable and nice on every visit
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
All care was extremely high, my insurance covered nothing which was why I had to stop treatment
Norfolk
Dr. Stadtmauer was amazing and very optimistic when I felt unsure. She gave me options and left if up to me to decide without pressure. Her staff is amazing and personable. Everytime I visited I walked away feeling assured that I was being taken care of... The doctor and her staff were great at explaining everything step by step. I felt very comfortable... I paid between 10-13k for IVF
[Jones Institute for Reproductive Med has a] Great location and they validate your parking. The clinic is clean and presentable. Everyone from reception all the way to seeing the doctor is polite and explains the process very well. Sometimes it gets lengthy waiting on the doctor.... Once I was assessed by the nursing staff I went straight to ultrasound, very little waiting... I paid between 10-13k for IVF
Have a list a questions ready
Polite and effecient
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I paid between 10-13k for IVF
Norfolk
Dr. Bocca is very thorough and responds to all messages. She answers all questions and makes sure you understand before you leave the office. If you send a email she always gets back to you within the same day. She will make timelines to better help you understand how the treatment will work. At the follicle scans she is so good about including my husband and I in explaining.... She is so caring and understanding and goes out of her way to make you comfortable and answer any questions.
It takes a while to get a appointment but I've never had a long waiting time at my appointments. Everyone [Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] is very nice and supportive. The clinic is almost a 2 hour drive and I wish it could be closer.... Dr. Bocca is very thorough and responds to all messages. She answers all questions and makes sure you understand before you leave the office. If you send a email she always gets back to you within the same day. She will make timelines to better help you understand how the treatment will work. At the follicle scans she is so good about including my husband and I in explaining.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
It takes a while to get a appointment but I've never had a long waiting time at my appointments. Everyone is very nice and supportive. The clinic is almost a 2 hour drive and I wish it could be closer.

2009 - 2017, Successful
We started on Lupron protocols [with Dr. Bocca] which we did twice, we had one failed cycle because I was too suppressed by Lupron. They offered us our money back or to hold it for a new cycle. They put me on ganerilex instead and we went forward with three more full cycles. I also had enough frozen embroys for 8 other frozen cycles - only one took... I have multiple blastocysts on ice. In that time Dr. Bocca stopped recommended day 3 transfers and went to day 5.
The coordinator [at Jones Institute] is a bit no nonsense. The nursing staff has some turn over but they are generally very nice. The retrieval team is different than the clinic nurses...fresh cycles were 15000 all inclusive but you got a discount for repeat business. Frozen cycles were around 5000, separate ultrasounds were 300, medications were not sold by the clinic and had to be purchased at specialty pharmacies... Who performs your retrieval and transfer is based on scheduling. They have Saturday and sunday appointments also. Sometimes the front desk is not as awesome as the rest of the clinic and hold times can be annoying if you call at a busy time. I do get phone calls returned within 24 hrs. There is also an on call doctor that I have talked ot numerous times. There are also 3 training fellows.
She has a very sunny disposition and a positive outlook. She has been my primary physician since 2009 for infertility and she has kept my hopes up when I was down. She is very focused on how I am 'feeling' and has been able to gently tell me things that I perhaps didn't want to hear. We had numerous frozen embryo failures and she told us to take a break for a few months to take the pressure off. She was also compassionate when we decided we had reached our last fresh cycle attempt.
If you want someone with glass half full, she is for you. If you are more of a glass half empty person or have trouble hearing bad news or set backs, you may want someone else.
She was always very kind and sympathetic, even when I would get very intense. They always scheduled a free consultation after any cycle that did not work which was very important to us.
We had minor issues for ourselves, but not enough to be guaranteed natural pregnancy. We did one cycle of IUI which failed and we decided we were better off doing full retrievals. We started on Lupron protocols which we did twice, we had one failed cycle because I was too suppressed by Lupron. They offered us our money back or to hold it for a new cycle. They put me on ganerilex instead and we went forward with three more full cycles. I also had enough frozen embroys for 8 other frozen cycles - only one took. I have 5 children now, 3 singletons and 1 set of twins. The program also got a new embroyologist recently who increased their blastocysts success rate to 60-70% survival. I have multiple blastocysts on ice. In that time Dr. Bocca stopped recommended day 3 transfers and went to day 5.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Valerie Warsoff)
The coordinator is a bit no nonsense. The nursing staff has some turn over but they are generally very nice. The retrieval team is different than the clinic nurses.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is cutting edge and attached to the medical school They will do a good job of giving you realistic expectations. You will see almost all of the doctors in the practice whom have very different personalities. Who performs your retrieval and transfer is based on scheduling. They have Saturday and sunday appointments also. Sometimes the front desk is not as awesome as the rest of the clinic and hold times can be annoying if you call at a busy time. I do get phone calls returned within 24 hrs. There is also an on call doctor that I have talked ot numerous times. There are also 3 training fellows.
fresh cycles were 15000 all inclusive but you got a discount for repeat business. Frozen cycles were around 5000, separate ultrasounds were 300, medications were not sold by the clinic and had to be purchased at specialty pharmacies. 6 years ago IUI was 600
She originally recommended against multiple embryo transfers because I had gotten pregnant with two cycles back to back. I didn't mind twins so we started out on 2 embryos. When we failed and looked at our finances, we started doing 3 at a time. She recommended single blastocyst transfer also because of their increased twinning rates. I don't mind twins so I had 2 and 2 took. They never allowed you to put in more than 3.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Nothing was really wrong. During my first retrieval I was told one appointment they would tell me how many eggs they thought I would have during an ultrasound. I got a different doctor than usual who was a different personality and refused to speculate. I later got to know him and understood that he didn't want to get hopes up this early as the real proof is in the actual retrieval.