7.2

Norfolk, VA 23507
2075 Glenn Mitchell Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
757-446-7100

Dr.Bocca is very warm and seems genuinely concerned about her patients. ... Being over 40 she helped to start treatment right away and to have additional tests scheduled immediately. She always seems to take the time needed for her patients, I’ve never felt rushed or that she is unavailable. ... Started with diagnostic testing with a hysteroscopy and then moved to lertrezol 5mg day 3-7, ultrasound on Day 11 and then trigger shot of ovidrel. I did 4 cycles of this with no pregnancy so have moved to adding Gonal F. Only one cycle of IO with femera and Gonal, waiting to try another before doing IVF
[Jones Inst for Repro Med] So disorganized, it’s difficult to get an appointment with the doctor in a timely manner. When you do need monitoring appointments things are good but otherwise it’s been a struggle. It took me nearly a month and weekly phone calls to have a nurse change my medication to one that was covered by my insurance ... The nursing staff has been very nice but not well organized. You may have to phone many times to have things clarified or amended
How was your experience with Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Bocca is a wonderful doctor, she has given me a lot of hope and I feel very well cared for. She always listens to my concerns and always is willing to work to find the right treatment. Being over 40 she helped to start treatment right away and to have additional tests scheduled immediately. She always seems to take the time needed for her patients, I’ve never felt rushed or that she is unavailable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
She will listen to all of your concerns and seems very open to trying to find a way to help.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr.Bocca is very warm and seems genuinely concerned about her patients.
Describe the protocols Silvina Bocca used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I have Tricare so most visits and diagnostics are covered
Describe Silvina Bocca's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
We have talked about IVF as next steps but haven’t decided the best course of action so far
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Wasn’t able to have a nurse phone me back with no less than 5 phone messages left and have my medication modified.

2020, Unsuccessful
If you are looking for a very intelligent doctor who has lots of experience, she [Dr. Stadtmauer] is it. She diagnosed me in seconds of testing and got right to the details and course. If you don’t want blunt info, she is not for you. She got right to the point, has been down this road with thousands of couples, and had a very scientific way about going things. Not totally nurturing and motherly if you are looking for that. She does know her stuff though!
Overall clinic [Jones Inst for Repro Med] is amazing! They have so much knowledge, everything for the most part is in one building, and they have a reputation. Only negative I have is the communication. I had a hard time getting a hold of someone in my early stages of IUI and for someone new to the game, that was frustrating. Seems like they have figured some of those glitches out but occasionally hard to get a hold of someone.
How was your experience with Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
If you are looking for a very intelligent doctor who has lots of experience, she is it. She diagnosed me in seconds of testing and got right to the details and course. If you don’t want blunt info, she is not for you. She got right to the point, has been down this road with thousands of couples, and had a very scientific way about going things. Not totally nurturing and motherly if you are looking for that. She does know her stuff though!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Make sure you break through the statistics and knowledge she has to show who you are as a human/woman.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
She was very blunt but I appreciate that. She saw how emotional I was and did what she could to help the process along. Only reason I didn’t put 100% human because I felt like it was somewhat clinically and not 100% based on me.
Describe the protocols Laurel Stadtmauer used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I went to this doctor for initial discussion and testing which included pelvic ultrasound, HCG test, and blood work. Then we set up the plan from there.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Heather Houston )
I only had 2 negatives. One was lack of communication. You have to communicate through a portal which ended up being great but in the beginning when I had no idea what was going on, communication was horrible and I had to call and stalk the nurse. Once we got into a grove it was much easier but you have to advocate for yourself. Second was when I had a question about a medication that I wasn’t aware of, I got a short answer on their end. Overall they were amazing but this one time the nurse talked to me like I should know exactly what’s going on. I know she deals with it all day everyday but I had no idea and it was my first time.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Overall clinic is amazing! They have so much knowledge, everything for the most part is in one building, and they have a reputation. Only negative I have is the communication. I had a hard time getting a hold of someone in my early stages of IUI and for someone new to the game, that was frustrating. Seems like they have figured some of those glitches out but occasionally hard to get a hold of someone.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
In no fault to them (my insurance) I had to pay out of pocket for my fertility drugs and will have to pay for IVF. Other than that it was covered and I only payed around 20% of the costs
Describe Laurel Stadtmauer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Unknown. Didn’t get that far
Norfolk

After 3 unsuccessful cycles I had another appointment with the doctor [Dr. Stadtmauer] and she started the consultation with "let's see.... wow, you've been trying for quite a while!". I asked for a new blood panel, since I've been going there for 12 months. Up until then, I didn't even know my AMH level. It felt like she never remembered me.
No staff [at Jones Institute For Repro Med] ever showed any motivation into finding out what was wrong with me. I believe this can be a good clinic for patients with standard infertility problems, such as PCOS or endometriosis. If you have unexplained infertility, you will not get your answers. ... Failed to convey important information: I went 6 months not being informed that my progesterone level was too low.
When we first started with Dr. Stadmauer, we started by covering the basics, such as ovulation, uterine lining and sperm count. Unfortunately after 12 months it never progressed from there. After 2 failed IUIs and no explanation to why nothing was working, we never investigated possible diagnosis. Every time that I had an appointment, all we did was to review everything we had done. The doctor listened when I asked to change medication and my monitoring showed that I responded well to the new medication, but at some point one of the fellow doctors said that I was in high risk of having multiples and I believed him. When that didn't happen, nobody cared to try to find out why. I remained under a low dose of Metformin for a whole 12 months. Nobody ever suggested changing it. Under the care of a new doctor I know I have multiple cysts, a possible polyp, and that I should be under a much higher dose of Metformin. Dr. Stadmauer missed all of that.
Jones Institute is a very respectful clinic, but you will probably be successful only if you don't have any underlining conditions, and your problem is easy to resolve. I never met a doctor or fellow doctor at the clinic willing to investigate why I was not getting pregnant after 12 months of treatment.
While I was very well treated when in the office and clinic, once I left, no one followed my case, no one was aware that I have been seeking treatment for quite a while and maybe we should take a different path. In that sense, I was just a number.
When I started treatment, I was put on Metformin because I may or may not have had PCOS. I was asked to do the HSG test, that came back clean. My husband had a semen analysis, which came back as low number. No medication was suggested beside a zync supplement. I went for two IUI cycles with Letrozole. I produced only one follicle with Letrozole, which was what I already produced naturally. No change of medication was suggested until I asked for it. After about 8 months we pressed for answers about the low sperm count and the doctor mentioned Clomid for men. The clinic, even though is a fertility clinic, won't prescribe that for their male patients, so my husband had to go to an Urologist. I produced a much higher number of follicles with Clomid and decided for timed intercourse only. After 3 unsuccessful cycles I had another appointment with the doctor and she started the consultation with "let's see.... wow, you've been trying for quite a while!". I asked for a new blood panel, since I've been going there for 12 months. Up until then, I didn't even know my AMH level. It felt like she never remembered me.
I only ever had any interaction through the patient portal. They would answer my questions sometimes.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
This is a well established clinic, with years of experience. They were always overall flexible and accommodating with my appointments, and the Patient Portal (used by all EVMS facilities) works well. No staff ever showed any motivation into finding out what was wrong with me. I believe this can be a good clinic for patients with standard infertility problems, such as PCOS or endometriosis. If you have unexplained infertility, you will not get your answers.
Ultrasounds are $190 IUI: $250 for he procedure and $255 for sperm wash HSG: about $600-$700 with no insurance
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Provided conflicting information: one nurse told me that I should only take progesterone after IUIs, and a different nurse said it was OK to take it doing timed intercourse. Failed to convey important information: I went 6 months not being informed that my progesterone level was too low. And failed to call in prescription several times. I had to go back to the portal and remind them.
Norfolk

I really loved Dr. Pakrashi. She has since left the clinic and I cried when she told me she was leaving. I loved that she included Eastern medicine and practices in with the IVF treatment plan. Whenever I had a question or questioned anything, she always took it seriously and answered me. I felt like she was our personal cheerleader, like we were her only patients. She really takes time to get to know you and be there for you.
Strengths: They [Jones Institute] have been doing this for a long time (one of the first IVF clinics in the US) and the doctors are all incredible. Weaknesses: Communication from Front Desk, Billing, and Nurses can be hit or miss. I would recommend getting emails from everyone and I wish they would just give them right off the bat as I found communicating this way was much more easy and effective.
How was your experience with Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Trust her but do not be afraid to voice any questions or fears.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
She cared about us as people. She took interest in our lives outside of infertility. She was warm and compassionate and full of passion to help us. I always felt like she gave me the advice she would give herself.
Describe the protocols Tarita Pakrashi used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I am 36 with an AMH of .299 with male factor (morphology). Pre-retrieval daily supplement, etc: 88 mg Thyroid pill 75 mg DHEA 600 mg ubiquinol Vit D supplements Plus prenatal and fish oil 1x weekly acupuncture (started two months before retrieval) 1-2x weekly yoga No strenuous workouts one month prior Recommended no coffee or alcohol (I abstained for 2+ months prior to retrieval). I did not eat gluten and dairy for one month prior to my start date. Stim protocol (day three start): 5 days of clomid 150 of menopur 150 of gonal F 4 syringes of ganarelix Pregnyl Trigger They counted 7 follicles and retrieved 6 eggs. 5 fertilized and 2 embryos made it to blast. We have a 4AA and 4CB graded embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lena)
My IVF coordinator was really great when I was able to talk with her. The stress came from being able to get a hold of her. Sometimes it was difficult as she was super busy. I get it, but when you are starting something so scary and new, you want to feel taken care of and sometimes I felt I had to reach out multiple times to get an answer.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: They have been doing this for a long time (one of the first IVF clinics in the US) and the doctors are all incredible. Weaknesses: Communication from Front Desk, Billing, and Nurses can be hit or miss. I would recommend getting emails from everyone and I wish they would just give them right off the bat as I found communicating this way was much more easy and effective.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
We have a high deductible plan so once we hit our deductible, all costs have been covered thus far except for anesthesia.
Norfolk

She [Dr. Bocca] has been incredibly informative. We’ve had 4 miscarriages (one was confirmed ectopic, she suspects two of the others were also ectopic but they resolved themselves) in two years. After the last one in February, she gave us more information than anyone else has. She wasn’t able to 100% pinpoint our issues but I did feel like her thought process made the most sense.
One of my last blood tests [at Jones Inst For Repro Med]I had upwards of six vials taken. ... A week later, a nurse called and said they lost all the blood that they took from me but within 24 hours I had all my results in my portal online. Apparently, the nurse was new and didn’t follow protocol with my vials of blood and as a result of the mishap they were quick to review standard processes with their staff so as not to have a repeat offense. Again, I shared my extreme concerns over losing this stuff and they reassured me that losing client information/results was not something that they took lightly. The office was apologetic and thoroughly explained what happened and how they would prevent it from happening again in the future.
She has been incredibly informative. We’ve had 4 miscarriages (one was confirmed ectopic, she suspects two of the others were also ectopic but they resolved themselves) in two years. After the last one in February, she gave us more information than anyone else has. She wasn’t able to 100% pinpoint our issues but I did feel like her thought process made the most sense.
Be persistent in your need to be heard. Once you’re on her radar, I do feel like she will be there for you.
We started seeking treatment in November, with initial tests and such but it was slow going. In the middle of February we were supposed to have our first big consult meeting with Dr Bocca to discuss a plan and I found out I was pregnant two weeks prior to this meeting (naturally conceived). I already had a history of recurrent losses/ectopic but I felt like as soon as the office heard I was pregnant without their assistance, I was not a priority. I started spotting and had to essentially yell “hey guys! This will be my FOURTH miscarriage in under two years! Please listen!” For them to realize that although I had conceived naturally it wasn’t going to end well and that I needed their help still. After that last miscarriage I feel like the lights went on and they were quick to connect me with Dr Bocca’s team more directly.
Our plan was paused due to COVID-19, however her plan was to have me take about 2 weeks of birth control at the start of my cycle. After I will go in for the instructional consult and begin injections preparing myself for egg retrieval. She has given us the option to do genetic testing on our embryos due to our recurrent losses but said we could do an initial fresh transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Heather )
Once I was able to connect with Heather, I felt heard. I did/do feel like it takes some time before they get back to me (up to 48 hours) but once I get the message or phone call back I feel like my concerns are heard and validated.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Their strengths include their staff, to include the appointment desk. On more than one occasion, I have had to speak with the appointment desk in a hurry to try and get to one of the nurses and they were always so kind, compassionate and quick to offer assistance. The nurses, overall, have been kind and compassionate. My only issue is the time it takes them to get back to me. I haven’t started a lot of the time sensitive stuff but I worry that it will carry over and I will be late or unable to complete something, as a result. I have discussed this with one of the coordinators and she has assured me that during the time sensitive periods they are quick and efficient at responding.
My husband and I work for the same employer. Our insurance is the same and it doesn’t cover anything associated with Infertility treatments. Our initial tests and blood work cost around $1,000. My medication/injections was about $7,100. The procedures associated with egg retrieval and implantation are about $11,000 and the embryo genetic testing is around $900.
Our facility recommends single embryo transfer. I feel positive about this approach.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
One of my last blood tests I had upwards of six vials taken. I had to rearrange my appointment but did so within an hour of the appointment being made. I went in in the afternoon as opposed to the morning. A week later, a nurse called and said they lost all the blood that they took from me but within 24 hours I had all my results in my portal online. Apparently, the nurse was new and didn’t follow protocol with my vials of blood and as a result of the mishap they were quick to review standard processes with their staff so as not to have a repeat offense. Again, I shared my extreme concerns over losing this stuff and they reassured me that losing client information/results was not something that they took lightly. The office was apologetic and thoroughly explained what happened and how they would prevent it from happening again in the future.

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
We started fertility treatments with Dr. Pakrashi about 7 years after my husband froze sperm due to a second diagnosis of testicular cancer with a second orchiectomy that would leave him sterile. ... This changed a bit when she left the clinic. She did not reach out to let us know, so we were completely blindsided right before starting medication for our FET. We found out through my acupuncturist. It was very disheartening as infertility is already challenging enough to be thrown another setback that could’ve been handled better was completely frustrating.
I feel that the clinic [Jones Institute For Repro Med] is run very effectively and that the staff is kind and helpful. My biggest concern is feeling like there is always more information about my case and general infertility that I don’t know and feel should be offered to us without asking. I wish we were provided more details and reports etc. While the staff is kind and helpful and ask us to reach out with any concerns I find it difficult to get direct contact with those I’m trying to speak with.
We started fertility treatments with Dr. Pakrashi about 7 years after my husband froze sperm due to a second diagnosis of testicular cancer with a second orchiectomy that would leave him sterile. Reviewing my health and cycle regularity it looked like we would have a pretty simple IVF case. Her positivity lead us to choose a single cycle with ICSI and PGS. Stimmming went well, 12 eggs were retrieved, 5 made it to day 5. 2 were abnormal, 2 normal, and 1 with no results. Our first FET failed, which seemed unlikely, so we moved forward with an ERA test that found I was prereceptive. I loved that Dr. Pakrashi suggested this sooner rather than waiting for multiple failed transfers. Our second FET also failed to implant. She was very helpful and supportive in deciding to move forward with another FET with the embryo that had no results. Unfortunately the cycle was postponed due to COVID19. Overall, we’ve had a positive experience, but I wish we were provided more details and information without having to ask first. We often feel like they (the clinic as a whole) keep reports simple and if we didn’t ask questions we’d be more lost and confused. We don’t always feel confident in our knowledge, but we’re comforted by Dr. Pakrashi’s openness and willingness to talk us through anything.
Ask questions. You are your own best advocate. Read before you go to appointments and clarify anything that leaves you unsure.
Dr. Pakrashi is kind and helpful. She knows more about us then just our medical file, which makes us feel like she is invested. She’s quick to respond and always wants us to know she has not ‘forgotten’ us. This changed a bit when she left the clinic. She did not reach out to let us know, so we were completely blindsided right before starting medication for our FET. We found out through my acupuncturist. It was very disheartening as infertility is already challenging enough to be thrown another setback that could’ve been handled better was completely frustrating.
For stimming we used menopur and gonal f. I reacted perfectly to the meds and the clinic was very happy with the 12 eggs retrieved. For the FET cycles I’ve had the protocol has remained the same using estradiol patches, intravginal estradiol pills, and PIO injections. After my first failed FET Dr. Pakrashi suggested an ERA that found me prereceptive; therefore my second FET was adjusted slightly for me to be on PIO injections for 6 days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Olena Smagliy )
The nursing staff is kind and efficient. They’re helpful when we have additional needs and concerns.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I feel that the clinic is run very effectively and that the staff is kind and helpful. My biggest concern is feeling like there is always more information about my case and general infertility that I don’t know and feel should be offered to us without asking. I wish we were provided more details and reports etc. While the staff is kind and helpful and ask us to reach out with any concerns I find it difficult to get direct contact with those I’m trying to speak with.
Describe Tarita Pakrashi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Pakrashi strongly suggested single embryo transfers.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Out of all our appointments only one ultrasound and blood draw was not put on the schedule. The staff still saw me and took care of all my needs. There was also a bit of confusion about my husbands sperm bank, but the staff was very helpful in getting the correct answers for us.
Norfolk

Dr B [Bocca] is very personable and I feel like she understood me. She always had a plan and was always willing to answer questions for me. ... We’ve had a few setbacks, but she’s Beene wonderfully supportive. She understands that I like plans, and she always has one for me. I can send her a message whenever with questions and she or her LPN answer quite promptly.
I love the Jones Institute! Everyone has been friendly and wonderful. The offices are efficient and I’m always taken back either early or right on time! Every person I’ve dealt with have been knowledgeable and compassionate. ... Every nurse I’ve had has been wonderful supportive and positive. They’ve answered questions or noted when I had questions.
Dr B has been so wonderful. We’ve had a few setbacks, but she’s Beene wonderfully supportive. She understands that I like plans, and she always has one for me. I can send her a message whenever with questions and she or her LPN answer quite promptly.
Go to your appointment with questions. She’ll give you as much time as you need to get answers.
Dr B is very personable and I feel like she understood me. She always had a plan and was always willing to answer questions for me.
We started with bloodwork and whatnot. I had an HSG and we realized I only had one tube. I had 2 MRIs to conclude I have UU. Then we started letrozole and ultrasounds every cycle, and trigger shots when I’m on my correct side. Once Covid-19 has passed, I’m having a hysteroscopy to see why it hasn’t worked yet.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Almost everything has been covered! My MRIs were about $1500, but other testing was covered. My letrozole is only $8 a month, my progesterone and ovidrel shout were $250 a pop.

Investment Banker
We [Dr. Bocca] was helpful however it was hard to get in contact with her. ... The appointment was so quick and felt rushed. ... It seemed like she didn’t care too much, but she was very knowledgeable in what she was talking about and explained things well. She said I wasn’t ovulating, but I’ve had positive results so I feel like she isn’t getting to the bottom of what’s really going on and why I’m not getting pregnant.
The front desk employees [at Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine] are wonderful and very friendly. They remembered us every time and made us feel comfortable. It’s important to go in with a plan of what you want - the process is much slower than what you’d typically hope for. ... They [nurses] are not very warm and inviting. The doctors are more passionate than the nurses for sure.
We was helpful however it was hard to get in contact with her. It seemed like she didn’t care too much, but she was very knowledgeable in what she was talking about and explained things well. She said I wasn’t ovulating, but I’ve had positive results so I feel like she isn’t getting to the bottom of what’s really going on and why I’m not getting pregnant.
Do your own research. Be your own advocate.
The appointment was so quick and felt rushed.
I have had all the testing done, from a HSG, ultrasounds, hormones tested, you name it and everything came back normal. I’ve had two IUI treatments & it was the same protocol both times (had to take an ovulation medicine then give myself a trigger shot in the belly the night before the IUI.) Husband went in the next morning and a few hours later than injected his sperm into me. Neither time I got pregnant.
They are not very warm and inviting. The doctors are more passionate than the nurses for sure.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The front desk employees are wonderful and very friendly. They remembered us every time and made us feel comfortable. It’s important to go in with a plan of what you want - the process is much slower than what you’d typically hope for.
Everything was out of pocket. The appointments were $40, plus bloodwork for me and my husband $100 each. Each IUI it cost for the ultrasound to check the eggs, and sperm analysis and insemination $2k. HSG was $600 I believe.
Norfolk
I was very happy on how caring she [Dr. Laurel Stadtmauer] was in the process of ivf and how long it will take to recover after egg retrieval in April and that with Covid-19 I have waited until I can come bto do my frozen transfer when I could do it again. ... Gonnal-F pen, ganirelex, and the protocols and how to do the shots and wasn't that hard to do.
The clinic doesn't have any weakness that I saw. The strengths they have is calling you back right away that way you now what the next steps will be with ivf and when to do your shots and they get you in and out in timely matter. ... [the nursing staff] Very nice and understanding and caring. ... Doing a frozen embryo was better because of quilty.
I was very happy on how caring she was in the process of ivf and how long it will take to recover after egg retrieval in April and that with Covid-19 I have waited until I can come bto do my frozen transfer when I could do it again.
That Laurel stadtmauer would be a good doctor to help them through everything.
I felt cared for and she understood.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lena and Heather)
Very nice and understanding and caring.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
My health insurance covered most of it
Doing a frozen embryo was better because of quilty.
Virginia Beach

Dr. Pakrashi is one of the warmest souls you'll meet in one of the toughest situations you'll find yourself in. She enters every room with a smile, repeats your name often in dialogue, which reassures me she's constantly active in your case. She talks about helping families conceive with passion, empathy and compassion.... My experience trying to conceive is from a multi-disciplinary approach, as I have several specialists working together to ensure a safe future pregnancy due to health conditions I live with. She is willing to compromise with other doctors and cater to their concerns as they arise, and the best part is that I have reassurance that none of these small hurdles will interfere with fertility treatments.
Everyone at the clinic [Jones Institute], from the front desk to the doctors are so warm and friendly. I don't see any weaknesses from this practice, even if I haven't received the results I wanted... yet. They give me the confidence and strength that I need each month to keep on....Ultrasounds (if not paid for by insurance) are $190...luckily mine are covered. IUI(self-pay) is $255. I pay $55 for them to wash my husband's frozen sperm along with that. He gave a sample and is storing it in the cryo lab. He gave enough for 6 vials to be stored. For a year of storage, we paid $450. Everything requires payment up front. I was told only with IVF do they offer payment plans.
My experience trying to conceive is from a multi-disciplinary approach, as I have several specialists working together to ensure a safe future pregnancy due to health conditions I live with. She is willing to compromise with other doctors and cater to their concerns as they arise, and the best part is that I have reassurance that none of these small hurdles will interfere with fertility treatments. She puts the patient's health above all and wants the patient to live a fully normal life, unlike many other reproductive endocrinologists who set limit upon limit during the course of your cycle.
Voice your concerns. She is always willing to listen and help out, so there's no need to hide your insecurities, frustrations or concerns.
Dr. Pakrashi is one of the warmest souls you'll meet in one of the toughest situations you'll find yourself in. She enters every room with a smile, repeats your name often in dialogue, which reassures me she's constantly active in your case. She talks about helping families conceive with passion, empathy and compassion. There's nothing more I could ask for in a doctor in this scenario.
On cycle day(CD) 1, I call the office to schedule an ultrasound. On CDs 3-7, I take 5 mg of letrozole. Around CD 12-13, I go in for an ultrasound. Usually it's CD 11-12 for others, but I tend to ovulate later. Based on the ultrasound, I may have to come back if the follicles and lining are not the right size. Otherwise, I will be instructed on taking ovidrel. Twenty four to 36 hours or so later, I will go in for IUI. Two days later, I will start progesterone. Fourteen days after that, I will test at home. If negative, I stop progesterone and call on day 1 to repeat cycle. If positive, I go in for a blood pregnancy test. I'm not sure what happens after that. Letrozole has done wonders for my ovulation ability. I used to not ovulate, but now I'm producing one or two mature follicles, which makes me feel confident I'm going in the right direction.
I've most most, if not all of the nurses and they are all very friendly. Heather responds within a day or two if I send a message through the portal, which is what I look for in any doctor.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Everyone at the clinic, from the front desk to the doctors are so warm and friendly. I don't see any weaknesses from this practice, even if I haven't received the results I wanted... yet. They give me the confidence and strength that I need each month to keep on.
Norfolk

Dr. Bocca ha wonderful bed side manner. She was mostly present during all of ultrasounds. At each visit she would explane everything she saw on the monitor. She went into great detail to make sure I too understand what I was seeing. When test results came back, she explained everything in detail and made sure none of questions went unanswered. ... Mine was your standard protocol from what I remember. Transfer on or around day 15 and the amount of medicine I used was what they give most of the patients. When my treatment had to be changed a little after results of a test I had done showed we transferred the embryo too soon, they brought me in and went through everything step by step to make sure I understood the changes and why they were happening.
This clinic [Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine], although they have a large number of patients, always made me feel like I was the only one being treated. I felt like all the attention I needed was given to me and every question I had was answered. They even had me sit down with the embryologist when I had questions specific to embryo grading. ... I don’t really know of any weeknesses honestly. I never had a problem while I was there. Their strength is definitely communication. Excellent all around. And their bed side manner. From the students in training to the doctors, everyone was experts in their field. ...
Be open and honest. You don’t know what you don’t know. Dr. Bocca is very kind and will explain everything to you.
This clinic, although they have a large number of patients, always made me feel like I was the only one being treated. I felt like all the attention I needed was given to me and every question I had was answered. They even had me sit down with the embryologist when I had questions specific to embryo grading. My doctor and the entire staff at Jones Institute were fantastic and I felt like family every time I was there.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lena )
Lena was AMAZING! Always available and always so thorough! She helped me above and beyond any nurse I’ve ever known in my life. She felt like my mom or my sister at times because she was just kind with her approach.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I would say all in all it cost be 15K.
Norfolk

immediately felt uplifted to be under her [Dr. Bocca's] care. She has a wonderful bed side manner and she is compassionate, yet professional. She explains everything in detail in regards to my care. She encourages you to ask questions and takes her time answering them. I have never left the appointment with any unanswered questions...She explained the lab tests that she was ordering and what results she would be looking for in those tests. She had changed my fertility medication from Clomid to Letrozole and explained in detail that the Letrozole would encourage a thicker uterine lining.
The nursing staff [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] have always been very friendly, empathetic, and extremely professional. They are always eager to answer any of your questions and concerns. They have always made me feel comfortable and I truly feel like they are the Patient's Advocate... I have called many times with questions and the front desk was always happy to help me. The clinic is always very clean. The waiting area is spacious with comfortable couches and chairs with a TV playing HGTV which we know everyone enjoys, a nice distraction while you wait for your appointment.
My initial consultation appointment with Dr. Bocca was in August 2018. Before meeting Dr. Bocca, I had felt discouraged. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 4 years (now going on 5 years) with a history of an ectopic pregnancy that resulted in emergency surgery which later resulted in losing my right fallopian tube. We had also had a biochemical pregnancy while I was on Clomid prescribed by my OBGYN. I was on Clomid for 3 months. After those 3 months, we finally made the decision to schedule an appointment with Dr. Bocca. At the consultation, Dr. Bocca was very friendly, professional, and explained everything in detail. She answered all of our questions and concerns. She explained the lab tests that she was ordering and what results she would be looking for in those tests. She had changed my fertility medication from Clomid to Letrozole and explained in detail that the Letrozole would encourage a thicker uterine lining. She explained that Letrozole would be a better option because of my fibroid history. She also addressed a plan of action on getting a sperm analysis for my husband to rule out male factor infertility. Dr. Bocca recommended IUI for our next plan of action. She gave clear written instructions on the steps for my next upcoming ovulation cycle i.e. making appointments, taking medications, trigger injections. After leaving that first consultation appointment with Dr. Bocca, I felt encouraged and hopeful which I hadn't felt that way in years. My husband and I decided to do our first round with timed intercourse which resulted in a negative pregnancy. After that we proceeded with Dr. Bocca's recommendation of IUI. We have done 2 IUIs so far. My second IUI resulted in another biochemical pregnancy. After my failed IUIs, I had another appointment with Dr.Bocca to discuss the next plan of action. During that appointment, she was very compassionate and was aware that I was feeling grief. She explained to me my blood work results that was done days prior to the appointment. She had explained that it would be beneficial to have a Hysteroscopy to investigate the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries. Along with the Hysteroscopy, she recommended that IVF is our next plan of action. While that was tough news to hear, she delivered that information in a compassionate and gentle manner. She made sure to take the time to answer any of my questions or concerns during that appointment. I am currently scheduled for the Hysteroscopy for next week.
I would tell the prospective patient of Dr. Bocca to trust the process. It may be a long road ahead, but under her care you will get the answers that you have been searching for. Always ask questions, share your concerns, and remain hopeful. This is Dr. Bocca's profession and she will leave no rock unturned.
Upon first meeting Dr. Bocca at my consultation appointment back in August 2018, I immediately felt uplifted to be under her care. She has a wonderful bed side manner and she is compassionate, yet professional. She explains everything in detail in regards to my care. She encourages you to ask questions and takes her time answering them. I have never left the appointment with any unanswered questions.
She had changed my fertility medication from Clomid to Letrozole and explained in detail that the Letrozole would encourage a thicker uterine lining. She explained that Letrozole would be a better option because of my fibroid history. She also addressed a plan of action on getting a sperm analysis for my husband to rule out male factor infertility. Dr. Bocca recommended IUI for our next plan of action. She gave clear written instructions on the steps for my next upcoming ovulation cycle. I was instructed to call on cycle day 1 to make an appointment for an ultrasound around cycle day 10. I was also prescribed Letrozole 5mg and to take on cycle day 3 through cycle day 7. On cycle day 10, I would go in for an ultrasound to look at the thickness of the uterine lining and to look at the size of the follicles. If the uterine lining and follicles weren't measuring at certain size , the office would schedule another ultrasound two days later to look at the progress. After the ultrasound, if the uterine lining was thick enough and the follicle growth was at the recommended size; They gave me very clear written timed instructions with the "trigger" Injection which was Ovidrel 0.5mg. She explained that this would trigger the ovaries to release the follicles. Then, I would scheduled an appointment for the IUI. The IUI was performed quickly and easily.During the IUI, the doctor would explain every step that was occurring. After the IUI was performed, I was instructed to lay flat for fifteen minutes after the IUI. Afterwards, I was given clear written instructions to start taking Progesterone 50 mg suppositories at bedtime for 14 days due to low levels of progesterone and the date to take an at home pregnancy test. If the pregnancy test was negative, I was instructed to stop taking the Progesterone. If the pregnancy test was positive, I was to call the office to schedule a BETA lab (Blood work to confirm pregnancy). Sadly, after my second IUI, I had a biochemical pregnancy. After my failed IUIs, I had another appointment with Dr.Bocca to discuss the next plan of action. During that appointment, she was very compassionate and was aware that I was feeling grief. She explained to me my blood work results that was done days prior to the appointment. She had explained that it would be beneficial to have a Hysteroscopy to investigate the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries. Along with the Hysteroscopy, she recommended that IVF is our next plan of action. While that was tough news to hear, she delivered that information in a compassionate and gentle manner. She made sure to take the time to answer any of my questions or concerns during that appointment. I am currently scheduled for the Hysteroscopy for next week.
The nursing staff have always been very friendly, empathetic, and extremely professional. They are always eager to answer any of your questions and concerns. They have always made me feel comfortable and I truly feel like they are the Patient's Advocate.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic and the staff are always very friendly and greet you with a smile. The front desk checks you in immediately and for the most part, I have been seen by the Nurse or Doctor by my appointment time (which is unheard of at doctor offices). If you have any questions, they are always willing to give you the answer or find out the answer. I have called many times with questions and the front desk was always happy to help me. The clinic is always very clean. The waiting area is spacious with comfortable couches and chairs with a TV playing HGTV which we know everyone enjoys, a nice distraction while you wait for your appointment.
The test that were associated with my care included: Basic semen analysis-$110.00 Day 3 bloodwork (FSH,LH,E2)-$250.00 in house, **Labcorp-$380.00 Cycle Day Ultrasound-$190.00 (done several times, insurance has been covering some costs of the ultrasounds). Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) with Sperm wash-$255.00 (IUI), $240.00 (sperm wash) **Have done this twice** Semen/Sperm Cryopreservation- $450.00 with $35.00 process with IUI preparation. Medications: Ovidrel Injection-$ 175.00 **Have filled prescription 3 times** Progeresterone suppositories (14 day supply) - $20.00 **Have filled prescription 3 times** Letrozole 5mg (cycle day 3-cycle 7)-$20.00 **Have filled prescription 3 times** An estimation of my current costs are between $3,000.00 to $4,000.00 as of 2/12/2019.

2015 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr. Pakrashi has a wonderful bedside manner and seems to truly care about her patients. She welcomes questions and always answers them in great detail...I bombard her with questions every visit and she is also so patient in answering them no matter how trivial they may seem. I do feel like there could have possibly been tweaks to my treatment plans as we seemed to keep repeating what resulted in negative test after negative test.
Some of the nurses [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] are absolutely amazing. Others make you feel as though you are a burden and an inconvenience...We have had issues with billing. We paid off our IVF cycle and a month later received a bill for over $20,000 with multiple procedures we did not receive. Also, I pay out of pocket due to not having insurance, yet they also tried to bill my insurance company on multiple occasions.
If you want a caring compassionate doctor, Dr. Pakrashi is a must. She is warm and welcoming in a world that seem cold and isolating. I bombard her with questions every visit and she is also so patient in answering them no matter how trivial they may seem. I do feel like there could have possibly been tweaks to my treatment plans as we seemed to keep repeating what resulted in negative test after negative test.
As amazing as she is, you won’t always see her and you may be disappointed with some of the nurses and doctors in the practice.
1) Timed intercourse with Letrozole. 2) IUI with Gonal F and Ovidrel (3 cycles) 3) IVF - gonal f, menepour, progesterone, trigger shot
Some of the nurses are absolutely amazing. Others make you feel as though you are a burden and an inconvenience.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: multiple locations, compassionate doctors. Weakness: You are not guaranteed to see a specific dr during your treatment and during my IVF cycle I only saw my dr once. Some of the nursing staff can be abrupt. Lack of communication between the business and medical side.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Monitoring appointments were always scheduled in the morning and wait time was on average 30 min - 60 min.
Our IVF cycle was approximately $19,000 including medications (not bought through clinic).
Virginia Beach

[Dr. Pakrashi] is so caring. She genuinely wants you to get pregnant and listens to you. As women, we understand our bodies and she listens to all your concerns and adjusts treatment based on response and your input.... We changed protocol completely based on my previous responses. I was worried that I might be resistant to clomid so she suggested a trial run with timed intercourse to see my response before we moved forward.
Always caring and compassionate. They [Jones Institute for Reproductive Med] are rooting for you!... Weaknesses: nurses station could do better with call backs and reading notes. Really the only negative thing I can say. Strengths: nurses have great bed side manner when you are present. Work hard to get you in and out in a timely manner. They do well in relaying messages to the doctors.... IUI $600 IVF range $6500-8000
There are no weaknesses I can report on. My first doctor, I felt like a number. He didn't deter from treatment protocol based on my response of first IVF to our 2nd. I had seen Dr Pak a few times during the course of my treatments and knew I wanted her to head my 3rd IVF transfer. We changed protocol completely based on my previous responses. I was worried that I might be resistant to clomid so she suggested a trial run with timed intercourse to see my response before we moved forward. She is a great listener. She is compassionate and truly wants what is best for you. She allows you to be an advocate for yourself. She will discuss research and new studies with you. Etc. She encourages you to do your own research and will talk to you about your findings. She is top notch and I am hopeful for this next round.
If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask. If there is something you want to try, don't be afraid to ask. She is warm and inviting.
Dr Pak is so caring. She genuinely wants you to get pregnant and listens to you. As women, we understand our bodies and she listens to all your concerns and adjusts treatment based on response and your input.
We have not started our cycle but did do a clomid test trial and I responded beautifully. I am considered a poor responder and my last 2 IVF I was on max dose. She suggested a clomid/menopur min stimulation. I responded beautifully in our clomid test run, better than my IVFs. We are looking forward to our new protocol and hopeful we will get pregnant.
Always caring and compassionate. They are rooting for you!
IUI $600 IVF range $6500-8000
She lets you decide. But the clinic won't transfer more than 2.
Norfolk
Dr. Pakrashi convinced me I could have everything I want, despite my diminished ovarian reserve. She would stop on the hallway and spend time checking on my progress even if I was only there for a nursing appointment...would make jokes and eased my mind when I felt discouraged. When she realized the first IUI did not work (timing of my body went against her schedule), she was sure to change the process and do the second insemination personally. It worked! I still can't believe I have a daughter. Thank you x a million!! She is perfect just like you said she would be.
All of the nurses [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] took their time with me and were very friendly. I still remember their faces. They were knowledgeable especially with understanding fertility calendars...I am a veteran, so the VA paid for my procedures due to my fertility issues stemming from a deployment. I did have to pay for donor viles and my medications and shots. Altogether I spent about $600 per try...Sometimes it is hard to reach the office. I was very persistent and would drive 30 minutes and show up for a face to face conversation. Fortunately, though the phone lines are very busy, they are very friendly, reassuring, and happy to help. Dr. Tarita Pakrashi is the best doctor for the job if you want to make a baby. She knows exactly what she is doing and she is so kind. She would refer to my baby as my baby before she was even conceived. I believed in the process because of her but she was also very honest about the statistics and set goals with me. I was pregnant before the first goal time. I started seeing her in July, finished the testing and choosing my frozen donor processes by September, my first try was unsuccessful in October, and the 2nd IUI was successful with a positive test on Thanksgiving. I was very lucky. The goal was to be pregnant by December.
Dr. PAKRASHI would make jokes and eased my mind when I felt discouraged. When she realized the first IUI did not work (timing of my body went against her schedule), she was sure to change the process and do the second insemination personally. It worked! I still can't believe I have a daughter. Thank you x a million!! She is perfect just like you said she would be.
Just tell her your issues, ask questions. And follow directions to the T. She knows what she's doing. At first I thought she was too nice and the things she said were too good to be true...but when she says don't worry so much and tells you what to do, DO IT.
The 1st cycle was clomid and she measured my eggs, then I took the shot in my belly the day before the IUI. I remember the first try being very painful and done by a doctor I didn't know. I went back and told Dr. Pakrashi on the next cycle and she said it should not have been that way and she would personally do my second try. We changed to Femara and she did the next procedure.
All of the nurses took their time with me and were very friendly. I still remember their faces. They were knowledgeable especially with understanding fertility calendars.

2010 - 2019, Unsuccessful
During my time with Dr O [Oehninger]. He was very personable and I found him matter of fact and although resistant to my research he did listen to me and never belittled me. He wanted us to be successful and when things failed he was affected.... lab results and treatment plans lagged I had to push for results. Dr O was always hands on but was resistant to my research... something as simple as a thyroid test I have to push for and then request results and then wait to get the meds called in.
This clinic [Jones Inst for Repro Med] is only 1 of 3 available in this area and they can be very busy. At times I have felt only like a piggy bank and felt pushed aside and care going to desirable patients. I understand this is a teaching facility but they should be open to possible innovations.... nursing staff has opportunities they have not realized. Wendy has been the best although I feel she is overburdened because it takes so long to hear back from her.
How was your experience with Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
During my time with Dr O. He was very personable and I found him matter of fact and although resistant to my research he did listen to me and never belittled me. He wanted us to be successful and when things failed he was affected.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Be prepared for a very busy man whose time is sought after
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Sergio Oehninger used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
HSG, polyp removal, lab testing, dye test, endometrial biopsies, ERA
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Wendy Harrington)
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is only 1 of 3 available in this area and they can be very busy. At times I have felt only like a piggy bank and felt pushed aside and care going to desirable patients. I understand this is a teaching facility but they should be open to possible innovations.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I have spent over probably 80 thousand dollars trying to have a family
Describe Sergio Oehninger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
We never disused 1 versus 2 due to my age.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
not sure what you want ...something as simple as a thyroid test I have to push for and then request results and then wait to get the meds called in. Results are never my portal. There have been more than one time meds were never called into the pharmacy. I have had issues with insurance filling a particular prescription as written and had to stay on them to get the appropriate paperwork.

2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
I began seeing dr stadtmauer in 2016 for fibroids and she has been managing my care since then. There have been a few instances where it seemed she wasnt aware of everything that was going on but overall she has been a great dr... [Protocols] 300 units of gonal f and 150 units of menopur nightly. Cetrotide each morning. It was not explained to me why this protocol was best... Jones is a good place. The only downfall which really didnt bother me is that you may not always see the same dr.
Jones is a good place. The only downfall which really didnt bother me is that you may not always see the same dr. I would also encourage people to ask questions so that you are not missing anything. The staff is all friendly and welcoming.... Lena kept me informed throughout the entire process. She showed me how to take all my medications and helped me order them as well. She even visited me on transfer day.... Because I had not met deductibles I had to pay out of pocket for my 1st round of meds.
Ask lots of questions, don't wait to be told
The staff at Jones is great. They always greet me by name when I come to the office. There were some instances when Dr Started seemed as if she didnt remember everything that was going on, but overall I enjoyed my care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lena S)
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
My employer covers ivf 100% for three cycles. Because I had not met deductibles I had to pay out of pocket for my 1st round of meds.
Norfolk

She [Dr. Silvina Bocca] did an HSG on me found out I had hydrosalpinx and referred me to a dr ito to have surgery for the removal of the tube in order to be able to start ivf...She made me feel like I was right at home with family. She made me feel like a mother to be rather than a patient or a number. She calmed me down every appointment because I have anxiety and I wouldn't trade her as my doctor for anything...She is very nice professional and good at what she does. Best doctor ever. She makes sure her patients are seen as mothers and fathers to be not patients.
The clinic [Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] is very homey feeling all the staff are nice and very good at their jobs. There are no weaknesses as far as I can see. They are the best ever. They make sure you understand everything step by step...They always make me feel calm because I'm always nervous when I go to appointments...they have payment plans with half down of full ivf...Dr bocca is one of the best doctors I've ever seen. She is very nice professional and good at what she does. Best doctor ever. She makes sure her patients are seen as mothers and fathers to be not patients.
Pick her shes the best.
She did an HSG on me found out I had hydrosalpinx and referred me to a dr ito to have surgery for the removal of the tube in order to be able to start ivf.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is very homey feeling all the staff are nice and very good at their jobs. There are no weaknesses as far as I can see. They are the best ever. They make sure you understand everything step by step.
The testing my insurance covered but as for ivf treatments they sint cover or meds but they have payment plans with half down of full ivf
Norfolk

She [Dr. Laurel Stadtmauer] is very knowledgeable in every aspect of infertility. She may be a bit hard to communicate with but when it comes down to it I trust her ability to point me in the right direction. She takes every question I have and gives me the honest answers that I would expect while going through infertility...She shows empathy and has complete knowledge of my past attempts. I don’t feel like I have to reiterate my journey every appointment.
Including a clinical IVF trial about $10,000 not including medication [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine]...Phone calls are a bit tough to be returned but other then that I have no complaints. From the front desk to the waiting room you feel comfortable and welcomed. It’s not the fanciest facility but I’d rather have old chairs and office decor old and have the money go into equipment and an incredible staff then a fancy place with a terrible staff.
She is very knowledgeable in every aspect of infertility. She may be a bit hard to communicate with but when it comes down to it I trust her ability to point me in the right direction. She takes every question I have and gives me the honest answers that I would expect while going through infertility.
Have patience.
The nurses are incredible and truly care for each patient.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Including a clinical IVF trial about $10,000 not including medication.
2010 - 2019, Successful
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Understand, that she [Dr. Silvina Bocca] is honest, and wants you to have a successful experience as much as you do.Understand, that she is honest, and wants you to have a successful experience as much as you do...In 2010, my leukemia relapsed and Dr. Bocca decided to put me on a trial to remove half of my ovary and save ovarian tissue with immature eggs to one day possibly transplant that tissue back on to my ovary for me to produce an egg. I was #13 on the study. Now they know, to get the cancer patient in remission, do fertility treatments to produce mature eggs to freeze. Science is awesome! She made the right decision for the science that was available at the time.
The nursing staff [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] is great, however I do feel sometimes they are too busy for compassion...Strengths: Easy scheduling, responsive nurses, clean Weaknesses: The Jones Institute is a part of EVMS which is a school, the changing staff can be draw back. This is because you don’t get to make those relationships. Infertility is such a private matter, and it has an element of embarrassment. So, when you are constantly having to meet unfamiliar staff it can feel awkward.
Dr. Bocca has a way of keeping my fertility reality, which is being post menopausal at 30-years-old due to cancer treatments, hopeful, but at the same time realistic which is a combo I fully appreciate as a patient.
Dr. Bocca saw me the day they confirmed my leukemia had relapsed. She was compassionate, straight forward and she took the time to explain what was likely to happen to my fertility to a very devastated 20-year-old.
Something to remember is science is constantly changing. In 2010, my leukemia relapsed and Dr. Bocca decided to put me on a trial to remove half of my ovary and save ovarian tissue with immature eggs to one day possibly transplant that tissue back on to my ovary for me to produce an egg. I was #13 on the study. Now they know, to get the cancer patient in remission, do fertility treatments to produce mature eggs to freeze. Science is awesome! She made the right decision for the science that was available at the time.
The nursing staff is great, however I do feel sometimes they are too busy for compassion.
Norfolk

Dr. Oehninger answered all questions that I had for him. During my stimulation cycle at appointments where I saw him quickly for an ultrasound there were always other doctors in the room and he let them take the lead and explain to me although it seemed he was the one making the decisions. When it was one on one during the consultation I felt that this Dr. was more personable and shared his experience and expertise with me regarding what I should do next.
This clinic's strengths are they [Jones Institute For Reproductive Medicine] have a well known rate of pregnancies dated back many years. The Dr.'s all work together and make decisions daily together about the patients. I never had trouble getting an appointment and all messages sent through the patient portal were always received and responded to in a timely manner.... Dr. Oehninger answered all questions that I had for him.
He has a quiet and serious demeanor. If you have questions ask them
At first he said very little the few times that I saw him during my stimulation appointments. I currently met with him again for a consultation to discuss my future protocol and get his advice and he was very helpful. He looked at and explained many of the results from my first failed transfer. He told me what we would do differently next time and was able to give me his expertise on some concerns that I had about cysts they found last time. He also had research to back up this expertise.
During my IVF cycle I took Follistim, menopur and ganirelix. After the transfer I was on progesterone oil injections and estrogen patches. During this cycle they found that I have 2 endometrioma cysts. This protocol resulted in 5 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized and 2 being transferred.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic's strengths are they have a well known rate of pregnancies dated back many years. The Dr.'s all work together and make decisions daily together about the patients. I never had trouble getting an appointment and all messages sent through the patient portal were always received and responded to in a timely manner.
Virginia Beach

Dr. Bocca clearly loves what she does. I appreciate how much care she put into taking over my file after I stopped going to another doctor. She carefully reviewed my file and articulated next steps in a way that both my husband and I felt comfortable with. We are diagnosed with male factor infertility and we both felt that with our other doctor, my husband was cut completely out of the discussion but doctor Bocca is great about including both of us.
They [Jones Inst for Repro Med] have lots of success and lots of patients. I didn't learn early on just how much you have to advocate for yourself, ask questions and if you need to, be a thorn in their side until you get the answers or attention you feel you deserve.... $250 per IUI, plus the cost if the sperm and medication. I've gotten quotes for IVF with ICSI at $12,000ish.... When you are using donor sperm, it sucks to have a nurse at the clinic ask your husband for his sample.
Come with questions and a notepad. She's great!
I first worked with another doctor prior to seeing Dr. Bocca. The differences between the two in their bedside manner is astounding. You can tell she actually cares about her patients and their partners and truly wants the best for them. She explained thoroughly why she wanted to explore a certain protocol and was open to answering questions, no matter how long it took, rather than casually brushing them off as me being a worrywart who Google's too much.
We did five donor sperm IUI cycles with another doctor. Three natural and two with letrozole and trigger shot, and progesterone. After Dr Bocca took over my file, she thought it'd be helpful to do a hysteroscopy. In that procedure, she found and removed a few uterine polyps, we will be pursuing a sixth IUI cycle with letrozole and gonal f, trigger shot and progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
They are great!
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
They have lots of success and lots of patients. I didn't learn early on just how much you have to advocate for yourself, ask questions and if you need to, be a thorn in their side until you get the answers or attention you feel you deserve.
N/A.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
I feel that because we were diagnosed with male factor infertility and needing donor sperm, and nothing was super obviously wrong with me, he [Dr. Oehninger] brushed us off as an easy case....When we had our last meeting before going in for our sixth and final IUI, Dr. O seemed to brush off any of my concerns and requests doe further testing on me to see if there was anything that we could address easily before the next go. It wasn't until after I stopped going to Dr. O that we discovered my blood pressure was significantly above normal range and that my T4 levels were way off normal range, as well.
This is a big, productive group. They [Jones - Norfolk] produce results for lots of people but they are by no means perfect. Prepare yourself for appointments, advocate and research on your own behalf, and don't get too worked up when they make mistakes or goof up small things.... Sometimes in the hustle and bustle of the clinic, I feel they miss some critical details in patient files.... [Cost Of Treatment] $250/IUI plus drug costs
We we're diagnosed through Dr. O and Dr. Brough with azoospermia/male factor infertility. Upon receiving that diagnosis, my husband and I took break for several months before jumping in to treatment. When we ordered our donor sperm and got started with treatment, I don't think my file was reevaluated or not. We jumped right in to three natural IUI cycles , the first of which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. After that, we did two more cycles with letrozole and trigger. Every time I went for ultrasounds, everything looked great. When we had our last meeting before going in for our sixth and final IUI, Dr. O seemed to brush off any of my concerns and requests doe further testing on me to see if there was anything that we could address easily before the next go. It wasn't until after I stopped going to Dr. O that we discovered my blood pressure was significantly above normal range and that my T4 levels were way off normal range, as well. We are happy with our new doctor and wish Dr. O all of the best, but he was not the right fit for us.
Ask questions. ALWAYS. Ask for copies of all of your test results and research on your end that you are within normal ranges.
I feel that because we were diagnosed with male factor infertility and needing donor sperm, and nothing was super obviously wrong with me, he brushed us off as an easy case.
3 natural IUI cycles with donor sperm with monitoring on day 12. (The first of those three resulted in a chemical pregnancy) 2 donor sperm IUI cycles with 5 days of letrozole 5mg per day, trigger shot, and 10 days of progesterone.
The nursing staff there is great.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
This is a big, productive group. They produce results for lots of people but they are by no means perfect. Prepare yourself for appointments, advocate and research on your own behalf, and don't get too worked up when they make mistakes or goof up small things.
$250/IUI plus drug costs

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr Bocca is very intelligent and knows her stuff. She has a way of being compassionate yet very direct in communication. I have always felt like she has my interest at heart....In the beginning she is difficult to see because she is so popular. Probably one of the hardest to get an appointment with. But she is very knowledgeable about many things when it comes to endometriosis....For my retrieval process I started with Lupron due to having endometriosis.
The nursing staff at the Jones is absolutely some of the best nursing staff I’ve ever worked with....The front desk isn’t always quick and the Virginia Beach office shares with another clinic so the wait time is always super long. I don’t suggest going there if I can avoid it. You will see all the doctors at the clinic while there and all of them are great! They have amazing residents and I always appreciate the learning atmosphere.
Dr Bocca is very intelligent and knows her stuff. She has a way of being compassionate yet very direct in communication. I have always felt like she has my interest at heart. I’ve lost two babies to miscarriage in this process so there have been times where she is quick to diagnose. I think it shows her knowledge and sometimes it’s helpful to spend more time. However she is always willing to do whatever I need to do to make things easier to process.
Dr Bocca is very patient and supportive. Even with not so good news I’ve been very happy with her treatment and encouragement
For my retrieval process I started with Lupron due to having endometriosis. I overstimulated this cycle and they canceled a fresh transfer due to being hospitalized. I think that was a good move because I was sick for a very long time. For frozen transfer I used patches/pills and IM progesterone. The first cycle we transferred 2 blasts and had successful twin pregnancy. We did lose one baby in the first trimester. Second frozen transfer was completed this month with success and literally completed a DNC this morning to complete the miscarriage. We have now decided to do genetic testing as a result of this due to losing to babies with viable heartbeats.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Margo)
The nursing staff at the Jones is absolutely some of the best nursing staff I’ve ever worked with. And when you do this enough you really spend a lot of time with them. My Ivf coordinator is so compassionate. After my dnc procedure today I had hugs and support from every nurse i came in contact with. That’s HUGE. every appointment they always check on you and want to be sure your emotions are ok.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The front desk isn’t always quick and the Virginia Beach office shares with another clinic so the wait time is always super long. I don’t suggest going there if I can avoid it. You will see all the doctors at the clinic while there and all of them are great! They have amazing residents and I always appreciate the learning atmosphere. I feel like a teaching school is always best for a patient because they are always interested in educating.
The medications were some of the most expensive. I spent 4000 on meds for first cycle. I did have insurance pick up some of price but the most helpful thing is they bill me whatever is contracted pricing. I’ve had to pay for two frozen transfers which are a couple thousand each time. However I’ve had other experiences such as OHSS they required several days in a hospital. I’ve also just recently had to have a dnc due to missed miscarriage. All these extra costs are outside the normal fertility treatment.
Our clinic was ok transferring one blast due to the high quality of embryos I had. Initially I was ok with twins and we transferred two but we did not continue that the next transfer
Norfolk

Dr. Bocca has been helpful providing guidance regarding my diagnosis and recommendations for treatment. She has also been honest about the success of certain treatments. I was a little deterred from seeing her again as during our second conversation she initially only recommended an egg donor due to my diagnosis, but after another face-to-face appointment where my spouse was also present, she discussed the diagnosis a little further and what other options might be available.
The clinic [Jones Institute] is great about communication especially through the patient portal. I did call the on-call line and did not receive a call back which was a little concerning, but it was not an emergency so it wasn't a huge issue. I was calling because I got my period on a weekend and needed to schedule an appointment for the following Monday morning. I also showed up once for an appointment that they said they did not have on their schedule. They had provided me with an appointment slip confirming the appointment. They were still able to see me I just had to wait. I have had to wait over an hour on a couple occasions.
I would definitely schedule regular appointments with her (perhaps monthly) to check-in and determine next steps for treatment. Ask questions and educate yourself on the options that she presents.
I feel Dr. Bocca is compassionate and empathetic. I do not feel rushed with Dr. Bocca and she answers my questions very thoroughly.
We wanted to try an initial protocol to try to conceive through timed intercourse as the least aggressive/invasive option. She recommend ovulation induction with a trigger shot and progesterone suppositories. The medication that we used for induction was gonal-f, which is an injectable. We are currently on our second month of treatment. If this cycle is not successful, she has recommended that we attempt IVF on the next few months to determine the quality of my eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Shannon and Heather )
The nurses who I have been communicating over the patient portal, Shannon and Heather, have been extremely helpful. They answer questions very quickly.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is great about communication especially through the patient portal. I did call the on-call line and did not receive a call back which was a little concerning, but it was not an emergency so it wasn't a huge issue. I was calling because I got my period on a weekend and needed to schedule an appointment for the following Monday morning. I also showed up once for an appointment that they said they did not have on their schedule. They had provided me with an appointment slip confirming the appointment. They were still able to see me I just had to wait. I have had to wait over an hour on a couple occasions.
Two months of injections with timed intercourse have cost us over $4000.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
I had done initial bloodwork and had gotten results back. Based on the information provided, I didn't see any huge issues so I didn't follow-up with the clinic and didn't hear anything from the doctor. About one week later (at least) I did the HSG test which was also normal. After this test I was confused about what to do next as I had completed all the initial testing (including an ultrasound). I was sensing that I might be diagnosed as "unexplained infertility" because there were not any issues I was aware of. I messaged the nurse in the patient portal to determine next steps, and she said the doctor would call me. Luckily, the doctor called almost immediately after that message and reported that there were concerns with my bloodwork (done almost two weeks prior) especially related to my FSH levels. I would not have known this number was high just looking at it myself. I was a little concerned that the doctor did not follow-up on this immediately after getting the bloodwork back since it was so concerning. Most of the follow-up with the doctor though after this has been good and timely.