7.1

Norfolk, VA 23507
2075 Glenn Mitchell Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23456

2015 - 2017, Successful
[Dr. Stadtmauer] always made sure I understood the plan and made sure I was okay with whatever plan we decided. She never rushed through appointments and made sure she thoroughly knew my history and chart before each appointment...She is very knowledgeable about infertility and treatments. She will work with you on a course of action that you agrree with and give education on things you are unsure of. She will call you after procedures and treatments to see how you are ing. Outstanding physician.
Valerie [nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] was awesome in helping to order meds and explaining the process. The other nurses were awesome, especially Shakena. They made sure I was comfortable at each appointment and that I understood everything...The clinic has 3 locations, Norfolk, Virginia Beach and Newport News are great. The Norfolk location has the most equipment and most of the big services are done there. They are great at coordinating services wherever you are located.
How was your experience with Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed)?
Dr. Stadtmauer is the best doctor to go to. She is very knowledgeable about infertility and treatments. She will work with you on a course of action that you agrree with and give education on things you are unsure of. She will call you after procedures and treatments to see how you are ing. Outstanding physician.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed)?
Be honest and open with her. Let her know all of your issues and don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for a different treatment if you are not comfortable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed)?
Dr. Stadt always made sure I understood the plan and made sure I was okay with whatever plan we decided. She never rushed through appointments and made sure she thoroughly knew my history and chart before each appointment.
Describe the protocols Laurel Stadtmauer used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed) and their degree of success.
For the retrieval I used Gonal F, menopur and cetrotide. Not sure of the doses, but I used it for about 10 days before retrieval. I went to the doctor every other day to twst blood levels after a few days they start ultrasounds to check follicle size. The retrieval day, I came 2 hours early and once I went back they gave me anesthesia so I was out of it. Before I went back my husband gave his sample. So after I woke up we were told his sperm count and how many eggs were retrieved. 3 days after they called and told me how many made it to day 3 and day 4 they called and updated the number for transfer the next day. 1st and 2nd transfer were hard, full bladder and they had a hard time transferring. 1st ended in a chemical, 2nd negative test, 3rd Dr. Stadtmauer was there for and used a sydney transfer for my tilted uterus. Miscarried at 10 weeks. 2nd and 3rd transfer prep were estrogen patches and pills and progesterone shots
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed). (Assigned nurse: Valerie)
Valerie was awesome in helping to order meds and explaining the process. The other nurses were awesome, especially Shakena. They made sure I was comfortable at each appointment and that I understood everything.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed).
Sperm testing $120 Ultrasound $240 Pregnancy test $10 Transfer $3,895 Physician $75 -$85 Retrieval $11,240 Fertility meds $~$5,000
Describe Laurel Stadtmauer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed).
They always transfer two unless you ask for one or only have one. Three can be transferred after a certain number of tries and/or age.
Norfolk

She [Dr. Silvina Bocca] was very good at explaining things. She was the first doctor that we saw when we started this whole journey so she really laid the groundwork for our whole understanding of everything. She answered all of our questions, she was prompt and through on our scheduled meetings with her...she is going to give you a lot of information...We did 2 times intercourse treatment with Dr. Bocca and one IUI... I just remember her being very hopeful that the times intercourse with the trigger shot would work because we had done so well on every test prior to trying her treatment.
we never received the packet for the IVF costs [from Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine]. Twice I was told it was in the mail to me. I tried to make an appointment to speak with someone in the finance and was never able to get a call back or an appointment. So we left and I made multiple requests to have my records sent and the new office I was at made attempts and nothing was ever sent- I had to show them things on the my chart app.
How was your experience with Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed)?
She was very good at explaining things. She was the first doctor that we saw when we started this whole journey so she really laid the groundwork for our whole understanding of everything. She answered all of our questions, she was prompt and through on our scheduled meetings with her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed)?
To come to the appointment with a paper and pen because she is going to give you a lot of information.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed)?
I enjoyed seeing Dr. Bocca- she was very caring and knows what she is talking about.
Describe the protocols Silvina Bocca used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed) and their degree of success.
We did 2 times intercourse treatment with Dr. Bocca and one IUI--I don't really remember the treatment protocol- I just remember her being very hopeful that the times intercourse with the trigger shot would work because we had done so well on every test prior to trying her treatment.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed).
I didn't really like that I saw someone new every time. It made me feel like a new patient almost every time because I was explaining the same thing at almost every visit.
I was not that happy with the clinic- which is ultimately why we left there. Dr. Bocca was great but her staff not so much. I did not like that when I sent an email or had a question- the tone of the responses were not always pleasant. I didn't like how you never saw the same person twice, there is no relationships between patient and the staff.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Silvina Bocca at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed).
I believe was paid around 3000.00 for the IUI-- not including medicine
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed).
When we decided to do IVF after the failed IUI we were going to stay at the Jones Institute however we never received the packet for the IVF costs. Twice I was told it was in the mail to me. I tried to make an appointment to speak with someone in the finance and was never able to get a call back or an appointment. So we left and I made multiple requests to have my records sent and the new office I was at made attempts and nothing was ever sent- I had to show them things on the my chart app.
Newport News

Dr. Bocca was very personable and remembered specifics about our life. ... We had a negative pregnancy result and Dr. Bocca took the time to call me personally and talk about options for moving forward and some test she would like to do. It was very personally and kind. ... We have male factor infertility (blockage) and IVF with ICSI is our treatment option. We under went stimulation leading up to our egg retrieval in March 2017.
Overall the Jones institute is a really great place. The typical wait time was on occasion a bit lengthy but only for certain visits such as talking about medication and timeline. ... The billing department was not the best to get a hold of. I always had to leave a voicemail and would maybe hear back 2 days later sometimes I would have to call back again. Once you got a hold of them they were knowledgeable but it wasn't fun to always get a VM.
She has been amazing and very thourough with our treatment plan. We have gone through one egg retrieval, one fresh transfer (resulting in our son born 2017), and one frozen transfer (negative pregnancy test). We will be doing one more frozen transfer. Over the years I never feel like a number to Dr. Bocca she always remembers me and asks questions about our son and life. She is very thorough and has taken extra care an attention to diagnose and treat some underlying issues we were having. So thankful for the attention to detail, kind words, and phone calls that make difficult news easier to handle.
Dr Bocca truly is one of the best Dr I have seen and she is very kind, upfront, and honest about treatment plans and expectations. Come with questions because she will take the time to go through everything in detail with you.
Dr. Bocca was very personable and remembered specifics about our life. She was very thorough with her treatment plan and I really felt like she cared and was very knowledgeable which was comforting. She was very kind and always upfront with expectations. We have done two transfers so far. One fresh transfer resulting in our son born in 2017. We have also done one frozen which resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
We have male factor infertility (blockage) and IVF with ICSI is our treatment option. We under went stimulation leading up to our egg retrieval in March 2017. We then implanted 2 embryos which resulted in the birth of our healthy son in December 2017. Every question I had was quickly answered and I felt supported through the process. In July 2019 we did a frozen transfer of two embryos (per our request). We had a negative pregnancy result and Dr. Bocca took the time to call me personally and talk about options for moving forward and some test she would like to do. It was very personally and kind. From there she suggested a hysteroscopy to see if there was any inflammation of the uterine lining. After the procedure the lab found abnormal cells which could lead to uterine cancer. ( a little scary but Dr. Bocca personally called and explained everything in detail and her plan of action). From there I was placed on a medication for 3 months with a plan to retest. After the retest I was found all clear and no abnormal cells were found. Now we are in the wait to do a frozen transfer once the Coronavirus quarantine is over. So thankful to have a doctor who takes the extra precautions to make sure her patients are healthy and well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed). (Assigned nurse: Valarie Warsof )
Our coordinator was very thorough and super straight forward with medication and timeline.
Overall the Jones institute is a really great place. The typical wait time was on occasion a bit lengthy but only for certain visits such as talking about medication and timeline. But overall easy to set up appointments and their communication was excellent. I always got a call back from the nursing staff right away or my Dr. The billing department was not the best to get a hold of. I always had to leave a voicemail and would maybe hear back 2 days later sometimes I would have to call back again. Once you got a hold of them they were knowledgeable but it wasn't fun to always get a VM.
1,500 - ICSI 12,000 - IVF w/ ICSI 2,757 - medication 400 - anesthesia Initial Consultations - 260 Hydrosonogram- 1,000 Pre blood work - 300
Describe Silvina Bocca's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed).
We decided to do 2 embryos for our first round as I am young and healthy. Our doctor would never do more than 2 and that is something we would not want either. It resulted in a live birth of our son so we feel this was a right choice for us.
2017, Unknown Success
I did feel like the coordinators and nurses [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] were lacking that quality. We often felt like numbers to them. Sometimes the sense of urgency was lost and even though it was our first IVF cycle, we felt like they expected us to know things we did not. While I wasn't overly impressed with the IVF coordinator, the business office was kind and courteous and we navigated this expensive treatment.
Overall, my experience with Dr. Stadtmauer was a great one. I really felt like she was on our side and she listened to all my concerns. After 4 years of trying to conceive and failed treatments, she understood that I knew my body and she didn't try to talk us into or out of anything we didn't feel 100% comfortable with. As a self-pay patient, we were interested in the share-risk program and I believe she was a big advocate in helping us get approved for it. I do wish I was able to see her more through out my treatment, but with us living 2 hours away, the schedule didn't always work in our favor. However, all the doctors I saw in between very kind and made sure to answer all my questions if they arose. When it came time to hear the results of my beta, Dr. Stadtmauer called me personally and I could tell the genuine excitement in her voice. Although this was only my first round of IVF, I felt like we had been on this journey with her for longer and she was so happy for us. Overall, I would recommend working with Dr. Stadtmauer!
Make sure you are explicit about your goals, concerns, and expectations. When we had our consultation, she listened to our history and our past experiences and she adjusted our treatment based on that.
Living 2 hours away from the Jones Institute, it was important for us to feel like our RE was part of our team. Dr. Stadtmauer took the time to meet with me as well as speak with me over the phone to answer questions I had so I wouldn't have to make the trip up. While I wasn't able to see her much during my cycle due to the way the schedule worked out, once it came time for my beta, she called with such genuine excitement and took the time to talk with me about my cycle (what went well/what didn't). I felt like she was celebrating with me. While I would have liked to see her more during my cycle, overall she made me feel like we were in this together.
They were very knowledgable, but I did just feel like a number. I also had a hard time getting a response from the nursing staff when questions arose.
While Dr. Stadtmauer made us feel like we were a team, I did feel like the coordinators and nurses were lacking that quality. We often felt like numbers to them. Sometimes the sense of urgency was lost and even though it was our first IVF cycle, we felt like they expected us to know things we did not. While I wasn't overly impressed with the IVF coordinator, the business office was kind and courteous and we navigated this expensive treatment.
We did the shared risk program which included 2 fresh IVF cycles, frozen cycles until the embryos from the last retrieval were used up, ICSI, and cryopreservation which totaled $19,000. This did not include medication.
Dr. Stadtmauer listened to us and knew that we were comfortable with the transfer of two embryos if we had them. Two embryos were transferred and one took!
I was awaiting news of my fertilization rate and was told we would know by 10am at the latest the day after the retrieval. Around 11am/12pm I called because I still had no indication of what my results were. After many message and voicemails, I finally received a call back that I should have my results soon. The results didn't come through until almost the end of the business day through the online portal. It was a long and nerve wrecking wait. I also experienced something similar with our freeze report. We were told they would watch the embryos until the next day to see if they progressed to a point where they could be frozen. At the end of the day, I received our final report which indicated none were frozen. I was confused as I was told they would wait a day to give them time to grow. After my voicemails, I finally had my call returned a few days later to get clarification, but no indication as to why they didn't wait a full day to watch and see if the remaining embryos would progress.
Norfolk

[Dr. Tarita Pakrashi] was very nice and thoughtful throughout the entire process! She always made sure we understood everything. She also realized that going through infertility is an emotional process, and she made it so much better!...She listens to everything that you say with empathy and compassion...The treatment was specific to me, and the protocol that was used was specific to my body...She knew my history and knew what would work best for my situation.
Everything there was amazing at EVMS [Jones Institute]! Each person was thoughtful in their approach to us, and it made the process easier. I felt like every person - from the receptionist to the doctor - was thoughtful when you contacted them for any reason...Everyone on staff was on the same page with the treatment...She [nurse] worked through everything with us, and it was wonderful...The billing area was very helpful, and because it is EVMS, I was able to make a payment arrangement.
How was your experience with Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed)?
Dr. Pakrashi was amazing because she was patient, and always took into consideration that this is an emotional time. I wish my experience had been like that from the beginning with others. She made me believe, and now, we have a beautiful daughter!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed)?
Be open and honest because she is there to help you through the process! She listens to everything that you say with empathy and compassion.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed)?
Dr. Pakrashi was very nice and thoughtful throughout the entire process! She always made sure we understood everything. She also realized that going through infertility is an emotional process, and she made it so much better!
Describe the protocols Tarita Pakrashi used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed) and their degree of success.
The treatment was specific to me, and the protocol that was used was specific to my body. Everyone on staff was on the same page with the treatment. She knew my history and knew what would work best for my situation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed). (Assigned nurse: Wendy Harrington)
She worked through everything with us, and it was wonderful.
Everything there was amazing at EVMS! Each person was thoughtful in their approach to us, and it made the process easier. I felt like every person - from the receptionist to the doctor - was thoughtful when you contacted them for any reason.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tarita Pakrashi at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed).
Describe Tarita Pakrashi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed).
For us, it was a matter of what was fertilized and the decision was made on what would give us the best viability for pregnancy. Everything was very measured on giving us the best outcome.
2017, Unknown Success
I only saw Dr. Oehninger the first appointment for consultation and then we he canceled my cycle, all other times the staff would rotate. The staff is very friendly and compassionate. I did not feel he would know who I was if someone were to ask him.... We used menopur and gonal-f, omnitrope. He primed my with 2 weeks of OCP.... They recommended singleton for transfer.... You will see a different doctor as they rotate for ultrasounds and OR.
This clinic [Jones Institute] is hard to schedule appointments with at times. The staff is friendly. You will see a different doctor as they rotate for ultrasounds and OR. I believe if you can drive to different clinics you may be seen by one doctor continuously however that was never the case during my care....The staff was friendly and interactive on visits. They were always smiling and nice....The cost was approx. 15,000 without cost of medications.
How was your experience with Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed)?
I would suggest seeing another physician in that clinic if you go to Jones.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed)?
I did not see Dr. O but the staff and other physicians I saw were very caring.
Describe the protocols Sergio Oehninger used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed) and their degree of success.
We used menopur and gonal-f, omnitrope. He primed my with 2 weeks of OCP.
This clinic is hard to schedule appointments with at times. The staff is friendly. You will see a different doctor as they rotate for ultrasounds and OR. I believe if you can drive to different clinics you may be seen by one doctor continuously however that was never the case during my care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed).
The cost was approx. 15,000 without cost of medications.
Describe Sergio Oehninger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed).
They recommended singleton for transfer.
Norfolk
She [Dr. Laurel Stadtmauer] actually listened to my concerns... I got pregnant once with iui treatment but had one miscarriage. In the process of trying again. The doctor was willing to try other options and listen to my concerns. The only disadvantage was she wasn't at the office that much so I had to see a couple different doctors.... When I got pregnant they said the nurse would call me with results of my hcg and I had to call several times to get it.
You could never get anyone on the phone [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine]. It takes forever to get a nurse to call you back.... When I got pregnant they said the nurse would call me with results of my hcg and I had to call several times to get it.... I got pregnant once with iui treatment but had one miscarriage. In the process of trying again. The doctor was willing to try other options and listen to my concerns. The only disadvantage was she wasn't at the office that much so I had to see a couple different doctors.
To be prepared for a lot of tests from you and your partner
She actually listened to my concerns
You could never get anyone on the phone. It takes forever to get a nurse to call you back.
Norfolk
She [Dr. Tarita Pakrashi] is very compassionate and wants us to have another child. I believed she genuinely felt bad when a treatment didn't work. She would call and check on us and always start planning the next treatment...
At times they [The nursing staff at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] seemed preoccupied...We did an IVF study that cost 4400, most other appointments were a few hundred...multiple locations made it easy to make visits...She [Dr. Tarita Pakrashi] is very compassionate and wants us to have another child. I believed she genuinely felt bad when a treatment didn't work. She would call and check on us and always start planning the next treatment.
She is very compassionate and wants us to have another child. I believed she genuinely felt bad when a treatment didn't work. She would call and check on us and always start planning the next treatment.
Be patient
She showed genuine compassion
At times they seemed preoccupied
The cost is very high, but multiple locations made it easy to make visits.
We did an IVF study that cost 4400, most other appointments were a few hundred

2014 - 2017, Unsuccessful
Dr Bocca is very compassionate. She wants you to achieve pregnancy. She gives you the best options. She personally calls to check up on you after surgical procedures. She seems very hopeful. Dr Bocca explains everything that is asked of her. ... clomid 150mg for timed intercourse and some IUI's. Trigger shot. Never got pregnant.
All the staff [Jones Inst For Repro Med] seems very warm and compassionate. They never say anything negative to you. The location is great too. The only negative thing I could say, is that women who end up pregnant and get their first ultrasound there, should go out a different door or something. I was upset one appointment when I arrived and there was a couple all happy about their first ultrasound picture of their baby.
Ask any questions.
She is very compassionate.
All the staff seems very warm and compassionate. They never say anything negative to you. The location is great too. The only negative thing I could say, is that women who end up pregnant and get their first ultrasound there, should go out a different door or something. I was upset one appointment when I arrived and there was a couple all happy about their first ultrasound picture of their baby.
Costs weren't bad because of insurance. For IUI, including medications and sperm wash, it was about $500. Unfortunately, IVF is too expensive.

2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
Dr. Oehninger is extremely experienced and intelligent in his field. He is a little rough around the edges as far as bedside manner goes... meaning he is very cut and dry with giving you information and does not sugarcoat it at all. In some instances this worked very well for us because we wanted to get the show on the road but at other times we really kind of needed someone to talk to and we felt rushed. Overall though he is extremely professional, very respectful and you can tell that he truly has our best interest at heart...
This clinic [Jones - Norfolk] is more of a "strictly business" kind of clinic. They are extremely busy and also shortstaffed which makes it difficult to get calls back or information sometimes. Definitely remember that you are your own best advocate. Take the time to research and plan for appointments with questions or concerns ahead of time...The main problem with the Jones Institute is communication...
Dr. Oehninger is extremely experienced and intelligent in his field. He is a little rough around the edges as far as bedside manner goes... meaning he is very cut and dry with giving you information and does not sugarcoat it at all. In some instances this worked very well for us because we wanted to get the show on the road but at other times we really kind of needed someone to talk to and we felt rushed. Overall though he is extremely professional, very respectful and you can tell that he truly has our best interest at heart .
Definitely take his advice because he certainly knows what he's talking about however take the time to prepare for appointments and write your questions down before hand otherwise you may forget with how fast he moves through protocol. Definitely be your own advocate. Lastly, don't take his abruptness to heart. Although he may move through appointments quickly he really does care about your success and will remember your quarks and situation dencently well.
I felt like I was treated like a number sometimes because appointments felt really, really rushed. The appointments that I felt like I got the information that I needed were solely because I spent a lot of time prepping for the appointment myself like reading books and articles and coming in with a full list of questions to help guide the conversation. When I didn't do all of this pre-work, The appointments were very quick and my doctor just assumed which way we wanted to go wrote the plan out gave it to us and sent us on our way. I will say, that when our IVF cycle failed and when we were first diagnosed and very motional he did take the time to talk to us and coddle us a bit. I think that he recognizes that this is a very emotional journey for everybody however at the same time he knows that in order to be successful in a lot of cases you must move quickly. I think he also has so much experience specifically with male infertility that he generally knows the best decisions to make and because of that forgets that we've never been through this before so we may need it explained.
We first went to Jones Institute after trying naturally for over a year. The first thing we were instructed to do was a sperm analysis due to the fact that this was cheaper than any female test. That report came back abnormal with extremely low sperm counts and due to the fact that I had regular cycles he encouraged us to move straight forward with IVF. We were unsuccessful and the ratio of eggs retrieved to five day embryo survival was very weak. He noted this in our plan and then encouraged us to save our money and really think hard about sperm donation. We took his advice and started our IUI treatments after that, we got pregnant on the first try. In the process of purchasing donor sperm doctor on anger did a great job referring us to a bank, answering all of our questions, helping us through genetic testing, and giving us advice on the emotional journey of choosing a donor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed). (Assigned nurse: Heather)
Dr. Oehninger's nurse, Heather, is amazing. Like him, she does not mess around and get straight to the point. However when you're doing 4-5 blood tests a week I appreciated this. She was lighthearted and easy to get along with and really showed compassion when you called in with a concern or question. The IVF Coordinator on the other hand is awful. She is extremely sarcastic and "hands off "so she truly looks at you like a number and nothing else. We had concerns over timing with her and tried to sit down with her to look at the schedule she had given us and she acted like she had absolutely zero time for us. When she was training us on how to do medications she rushed to the entire thing so my husband and I felt very uncomfortable and had to go back to our regular nurse for reassurance and retraining. She was horrible about calling us back so we basically had to harass her just to figure out how our embryos were doing during our IVF cycle. I think if someone came in and just helped her organize her self a little bit more she would be a lot more successful and reputable among patients.
This clinic is more of a "strictly business" kind of clinic. They are extremely busy and also shortstaffed which makes it difficult to get calls back or information sometimes. Definitely remember that you are your own best advocate. Take the time to research and plan for appointments with questions or concerns ahead of time.
IVF - $12000 IVF Meds - $4500 IUI - $265 Donor Sperm Storage - ~$300ish per year
The main problem with the Jones Institute is communication. It would be very beneficial for them to develop a better "patient introduction" packet or something so patients weren't forced to constantly call and then inevitably wait for return calls on common questions that could easily be listed on a website or in a packet.
Norfolk

She [Dr. Stadtmauer] reminds me of a female Einstein. She is extremely knowledgeable. At our first meeting, I thought she wasn't really paying attention to me, but then I realized it was because she was thinking about all of my background history and a plan of action. I was able to leave my very first appointment much more confident, and with a clear idea of what our game plan was...I have been on Clomid for eight months. My first month with her, she had me stop Clomid for an entire month to check to see if I would ovulate on my own. After finding out that my ovulation was good, she went ahead and started with a new drug
It was easy to make appointments around my schedule [at Jones Institute] . I just wish that my IUI could have been with my doctor… But we worked around my cycle schedule, so that was totally out of anyone else's control...[Nurses were...]Always friendly, pleasant, professional, and had a smile on their face. From getting negative pregnancy blood work, to showing me and my husband exactly how to do my hip injections, they were all awesome!
She reminds me of a female Einstein. She is extremely knowledgeable. At our first meeting, I thought she wasn't really paying attention to me, but then I realized it was because she was thinking about all of my background history and a plan of action. I was able to leave my very first appointment much more confident, and with a clear idea of what our game plan was.
Don't give up! I went through a miscarriage, crazy hormones from the pills, and painful injections. It is all totally worth it when you finally get to hold your precious little one in your arms!
Even though she was very "book smart," she let me know from day one what our game plan was, and did eventually crack a smile with me.
I have been on Clomid for eight months. My first month with her, she had me stop Clomid for an entire month to check to see if I would ovulate on my own. After finding out that my ovulation was good, she went ahead and started with a new drug, which ended up not working for me... didn't like all of the bad side effects. We switched back to Clomid, stomach injection, and timed intercourse. When that didn't work, we did clomid at a higher dose, the stomach injection, and then our IUI. At a certain point later that month, I began progesterone hip injections daily. Once I found out I was pregnant from the IUI, I continued the progesterone injections through the first 10 weeks.
Love that I didn't have to drive across the water to Norfolk or VA Beach offices. It was easy to make appointments around my schedule. I just wish that my IUI could have been with my doctor… But we worked around my cycle schedule, so that was totally out of anyone else's control.
My insurance covered any ultrasounds and bloodwork that were performed. All medications were out of pocket, but I used Avella pharmacy, and they were fantastic. For the IUI why procedure, I believe the part we had to pay after insurance was approximately $500.
I appreciate her explaining to me how important it was to get off all medication for the first month I was under her care. Even though I was eager to get pregnant, she thoroughly explained why it was important to research all possible reasons why I was having trouble getting pregnant.
Newport News
I liked that my Dr. [Oehninger] was the director of the top program in the area but with that I felt a disconnect from him at times. Luckily there were other Doctors on staff to pick up slack where his was lacking...I was upset after my 2nd FET I waited around for an hour without update on why my transfer was being delayed. Finally the DR. said he wanted to "watch the embryos" I didn't find out until 30 minutes later that out of 6 in the freezer 4 of them were not thawing well. I only found out after my negative pregnancy test that none of the other embryos survived. That was the biggest disappointment in the process.
I think they [Jones Institute] do a good of listening to you as a patient and putting the best efforts on the table for you to achieve your overall goal. There are times where they have so many patients in cycle at once, however, where you might feel a little lost in the shuffle...I think the care coordinator does an ok job. I think that because there are so many patients to come each day she looses a bit of her organization. I got a few messages on the medication line that were in correct or hard to understand.
I liked that my Dr. was the director of the top program in the area but with that I felt a disconnect from him at times. Luckily there were other Doctors on staff to pick up slack where his was lacking.
Be tough on the things that are important to you to make sure your voice is heard and that you don't get lost in the crowd.
I felt like though there was a sense of them trying to make every cycle and every patient have their personal touch there were still days where I was just lost in the mix. With lots of cycle starts and long wait times during appointments I would often feel like I just needed to get in and out because I was already stressed about being late to work from waiting on my appointment to start an hour late.
I think they do a good of listening to you as a patient and putting the best efforts on the table for you to achieve your overall goal. There are times where they have so many patients in cycle at once, however, where you might feel a little lost in the shuffle. I would tell a future patient to be strong through this process and to not loose sight of what you feel you need because you feel rushed.
I think I was more frustrated with my appointment wait times. Also, I was upset after my 2nd FET I waited around for an hour without update on why my transfer was being delayed. Finally the DR. said he wanted to "watch the embryos" I didn't find out until 30 minutes later that out of 6 in the freezer 4 of them were not thawing well. I only found out after my negative pregnancy test that none of the other embryos survived. That was the biggest disappointment in the process.
2013 - 2016, Successful
She's [Dr. Stadtmauer] very smart, and very open to have a conversation about your treatment options, which is important to me. She's professional, and will call you if you need to discuss some aspect of your treatment with her...Dr. S is very responsive and receptive to all worries and concerns that I've had through the entire process. She answers all of my questions, and takes the time that we need to make sure we're both on the same page...
[Jones - Norfolk] Strengths - amazing doctors, very knowledgeable. They will never turn down or deny a patient treatment just for the benefit of their stats. The site of the first IVF done in the USA, which is pretty cool. Comparably, they are WAY more affordable than the other clinic in Hampton Roads. The support staff, for the most part, is very kind and caring. Weakness - their donor egg program can use some vamping. They do not have very many in house donors...
I'm certainly a fan of Dr. S! She's very smart, and very open to have a conversation about your treatment options, which is important to me. She's professional, and will call you if you need to discuss some aspect of your treatment with her.
No one is a miracle worker. But Dr. S will definitely do her best to achieve your family goals.
Strengths - amazing doctors, very knowledgeable. They will never turn down or deny a patient treatment just for the benefit of their stats. The site of the first IVF done in the USA, which is pretty cool. Comparably, they are WAY more affordable than the other clinic in Hampton Roads. The support staff, for the most part, is very kind and caring. Weakness - their donor egg program can use some vamping. They do not have very many in house donors. It would be nice if they had non-anonymous donors or at least a choice for that, and a much larger pool of donors. If you don't use an agency/bring in your own donor, it can take a very long time to be matched with a donor. The embryologists don't give updates during cycling as a standard practice, which I found to be very difficult. The wait time for some appointments is quite long - the docs get caught up in their morning surgeries, and those waiting for ultrasounds can wait for quite awhile. Communication can be slow at times with nurses, coordinators, lab results, etc.
Norfolk
I felt like I was with a professional. I knew he [Dr. Oehninger] understood the best practices and procedures and explained everything to me. I wouldn't say he was high on the compassion scale, but it didn't matter as much to me if going through IVF with him meant a successful pregnancy. He was always straightforward and honest, and he made jokes to help lighten the mood sometimes. I enjoyed my experience.... We did IVF, retrieved 13 eggs, and 8 became embryos.
We had a great experience overall! I wanted to go with a clinic that was trusted and respected. I wanted results. I know this process can be scary, but I felt like if I was investing money in IVF, than it needed to be where we had the highest chances of conceiving. The Jones was the best decision.... We didn't love our nurse coordinator... I know it was around $20k for IVF plus medication and ICSI plus we had a few other costs that drove up our overall price. In the end it was all worth it!!
I felt like I was with a professional. I knew he understood the best practices and procedures and explained everything to me. I wouldn't say he was high on the compassion scale, but it didn't matter as much to me if going through IVF with him meant a successful pregnancy. He was always straightforward and honest, and he made jokes to help lighten the mood sometimes. I enjoyed my experience.
If you want to achieve a pregnancy, use Dr O. If you're looking for lots of warm and fuzzies during the process, he may not be your doc.
He was very thorough, took time to explain everything to me, and made sure we did a single embryo transfer like I had wanted.
We did IVF, retrieved 13 eggs, and 8 became embryos. We had 3 amazing Day 5 blastocysts, and we chose to transfer 1. Even though there as higher chances to conceive with transferring more than 1, we felt confident with a single embryo transfer and he believed and supported our decision.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed). (Assigned nurse: Don't remember)
We didn't love our nurse coordinator
He supported our decision for a eSET.

2016, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Tarita Pakrashi] was very kind and compassionate... always felt like she really cared. She gave us a lot of hope and we plan on doing IVF with her. She also explained everything very well. She took the time to answer all the questions we had...
[The nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] Laughed at me when I asked a question. Acted annoyed and over worked . Also complained a lot...[The clinic] provided a lot of information over the phone and also answered all my questions. Most the nurses and office workers act annoyed like they don’t care at all. Some of the nurse are great...Dr. Pakrashi was very kind and always felt like she really cared. She gave us a lot of hope and we plan on doing IVF with her. She also explained everything very well. She took the time to answer all the questions we had.
Write down any questions you have so you remember them all to ask.
She was very kind and compassionate.
We haven’t started IVF yet.
The IVF was very nice and provided a lot of information over the phone and also answered all my questions. Most the nurses and office workers act annoyed like they don’t care at all. Some of the nurse are great.
After IVF would be about 20,000 So far it’s been about 4,000

2014 - 2015, Successful
Given my age, a single transfer was not really an option. We spoke at length about my willingness to have multiples and I was totally fine with that outcome... [Dr. Stadtmauer] always took the time to talk with me and see how I was feeling along the way. She knew I was single and trying to plan for my future. She wanted to keep me informed but wanted to know me personally as well... I will never forget her kindness and honesty through my twin pregnancy and the singleton that came from those embryos 3 years later.
I felt like the monitoring appointments [at Jones Institute] went very smoothly. The teams were efficient and very private. It took me a day or two to sort out where to go and how the two holding rooms worked. A very kind nurse saw my deer in the headlights look and said, "Let me show you how this works..." To my relief, I never walked in the wrong door and knew what to do from that day forward...My costs ranged a bit from the start to the finish line. I was able to negotiate my fees down with ongoing procedures. I would encourage everyone to speak with your team about fees as they were very willing to work with me. Eset Approach
Dr. Stadtmauer is a very compassionate person and scientist. She took great pains to make sure that I understood what was going to happen and what she wasn't going to be able to tell me with certainty. I remember her meeting me in recovery after the 2nd egg retrieval that I should think about freezing embryos. I wasn't at that point given my hopes of finding a husband and she was very careful with her suggestion. I have never forgotten that moment and her knowledge that was far beyond what I could manage with every step that unfolded. Years later when I returned to transfer embryos and didn't get pregnant Dr. S made the call. She was the kindest person at that terrible moment and made getting that news as good as possible. She listened to me cry and then pull it together and ask for a plan to start again. She didn't tell me to take my time or think about something else, rather she said we could start again and would get working on our next plan. About 18 months later and after plenty of changes to my expectations and plans -- Dr. Stadtmauer called my out of a huge meeting at work. She said simply -- you are pregnant and I was looking for some numbers around 80-100 and yours are 488. I asked what that meant and she said we will test you again in two days and then schedule an ultrasound. Two weeks later I was on that ultrasound table for a minute or two and Dr. Stadtmauer said beaming, "It's two!" I was stunned, thrilled, and didn't notice that she and the team of nurses and other doctors had left to go into the hall to sign a card congratulating me! I will never forget her kindness and honesty through my twin pregnancy and the singleton that came from those embryos 3 years later.
Be honest with her about your goals and then listen to what she has to say every step of the way. She won't sugar coat things but she will listen and try to find the solutions that will help you along the way. She will be your biggest cheerleader and source of strength when you are most vulnerable.
Dr.Stadtmauer always took the time to talk with me and see how I was feeling along the way. She knew I was single and trying to plan for my future. She wanted to keep me informed but wanted to know me personally as well.
The one thing I remember that made a huge difference ultimately was the use of progesterone shots before and after transfers for 12 weeks.
The entire nursing staff was so upbeat and supportive. I was an early single gal freezing her eggs and they were all very excited for me. I got great information and wonderful care in a crazy whirlwind commuting from another city to make all of this work.
I think Jones Institute is the ideal spot if you want to have a team that will always know you and your case. It never mattered who was on call or in the office -- they all knew my name and had been in discussions about my case. I never felt like a number and was never rushed in or out of an appointment. I found the teams that were charged with our daily changes in medication and treatment during retrieval to be fantastic. I was crazy and they never batted and eye. I got hugs and cheers from the entire surgery bunch with every retrieval and transfer.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (closed).
I felt like the monitoring appointments went very smoothly. The teams were efficient and very private. It took me a day or two to sort out where to go and how the two holding rooms worked. A very kind nurse saw my deer in the headlights look and said, "Let me show you how this works..." To my relief, I never walked in the wrong door and knew what to do from that day forward.

2014 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Stadtmauer took great care of me and my husband. She really allowed me to be involved in my treatment plan....She took my infertility very seriously. She didn't waste our time, she got us pregnant. She allowed me to be involved in my treatment plan. She was willing to give us more advanced treatment to help my egg quality ...She's very open and listens to your wants and concerns, don't be afraid to tell her.
[Jones - Norfolk] I had a different nurse almost every time. A couple of them I liked and there were a couple that I didn't like. Some were just not very sensitive. They were fertile and you could tell that they did not understand the struggle....Dr. Stadtmauer took great care of me and my husband. She really allowed me to be involved in my treatment plan. She was very caring when we got bad news and she was excited with us when we got good news.
I have severe infertility but because I was so young (early 20's), some doctors didn't take me seriously and told me and my husband to "keep trying on our own". We had been trying for 3 years before seeing Dr Stadtmauer. She took my infertility very seriously. She didn't waste our time, she got us pregnant. She allowed me to be involved in my treatment plan. She was willing to give us more advanced treatment to help my egg quality which resulted in my first healthy pregnancy and baby. For that, I will be forever grateful. I honestly don't think I could ask for a better doctor.
For my first round of IVF, I was on Lupron, Menopur, and Gonal-F (can't remember dosage). Because I am young, my body responded really well to stims so they had to keep my dose low. They retrieved 29 eggs, resulting in 5 embryos. The quality was not great so they had to do a 3 day transfer. They transferred 2 embryos (can't remember the grade) and the rest did not make it to freeze on Day 5. That round of IVF resulted in a twin pregnancy but I unfortunately miscarried at 9 weeks. For my second round of IVF, they did LOTS of genetic testing beforehand. All results were normal. My egg quality was thought to be the culprit of my miscarriages. So they put me on HGH Omnitropin (can't remember the dosage), Gonal-F, and Cetrotide. Since they knew exactly how my body responded to stims, they got my dosage perfect. I believe they retrieved 20 eggs that time. It resulted in 5 embryos. They were better quality than last round but not good enough to make it to Day 5 which was a bummer because we had hoped to do PGS and to freeze some. We had to do a Day 3 transfer. They transferred two grade 3, 8 cell embryos. Like I said, the other 3 embryos did not make it to freeze. That round resulted in one amazingly healthy singleton pregnancy. I gave birth to a healthy baby girl 2 days before her due date.

2014 - 2015, Successful
He [Dr. Oehninger] was very educational, and passionate about what he does. He tells you upfront what to expect throughout the treatments. I felt very comfortable going through our IVF cycles with him. He always explained everything throughouly during our sessions with him...He was very upfront about our procedures. He provided a lot of encouragement throughout the process, especially during our miscarriage.
The receptionist’s are very good about making your appointments for you, and calling you to follow up. I feel as though the clinic [Jones] as a whole is exceptional . From our first visit to discuss infertility treatments, until our last treatment . They have quite the outgoing staff. They were very upfront about everything from out treatments, as well as payment options. I feel as though this clinic is the best one around ! I would highly recommend them to anyone going through infertility treatments.
He was very educational, and passionate about what he does. He tells you upfront what to expect throughout the treatments. I felt very comfortable going through our IVF cycles with him. He always explained everything throughouly during our sessions with him. He said ‘ let’s make it happen’ and it sure did! We finally got pregnant with twin girls ! It was such a blessing going to the Jones Institute. I would love to go back there to see him for our third child.
He knows his stuff !
2nd IVf fresh cycle - he didn’t stimulate a much to get better quality eggs!
They were very compassionate throughout the process . Always made small talk with me , and eased my mind !
The receptionist’s are very good about making your appointments for you, and calling you to follow up. I feel as though the clinic as a whole is exceptional . From our first visit to discuss infertility treatments, until our last treatment . They have quite the outgoing staff. They were very upfront about everything from out treatments, as well as payment options. I feel as though this clinic is the best one around ! I would highly recommend them to anyone going through infertility treatments.
We did a shared risk payment plan. They were very upfront about the cost for everything . They would bill us in an ample amount of time !
I feel as that multiple embryo transfer was right for us . Higher chances of one embryo sticking !!
2014 - 2015, Successful
We really loved him [Dr. Sergio Oehniger] right from the start. Our experience was amazing and everything happened exactly as it was explained to us. We appreciated how direct and honest he was and knowing what to expect. His predictions and diagnosis were spot on.... Dr. O transferred 2 embryos for the first cycle, but after a successful singleton birth recommends strongly only having one transferred for our second child, unless we want twins
There were different charges [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] like OR fees, General IVF fees, extra charge for ICSI and medications (about $4,000) that all added up. In total, about $12,000, and I also have 3 frozen embryos they store for $60/month. It will eliminate a large part of the process when we try to have another child... Appointments were easy to make, staff was awesome and we are looking forward to doing it all again! I really appreciated how caring and understanding all of the nurses were every time I went and the visits were all quick without much waiting. I never felt like a number and it's easy to see why people want to come to this clinic.
We really loved him right from the start. Our experience was amazing and everything happened exactly as it was explained to us. We appreciated how direct and honest he was and knowing what to expect. His predictions and diagnosis were spot on.
Don't wait. Just do it. I think he is retiring, but Dr. Bocca is awesome too.
He always made us feel comfortable and confident. Awesome bedside manner, direct, open communication and very sweet personality.
I had a very typical cycle. Follicle stimulation to produce eggs, retrieval, ICSI for insemination with my husband's sperm (male factor infertility, several viable embryos, two embryos transferred, single embryo implantation, single, healthy live birth. ONE CYCLE SUCCESS!!!
Every visit was amazing! We loved all of the staff and every appointment was uplifting and full of hope!
There were different charges like OR fees, General IVF fees, extra charge for ICSI and medications (about $4,000) that all added up. In total, about $12,000, and I also have 3 frozen embryos they store for $60/month. It will eliminate a large part of the process when we try to have another child.

2015, Unknown Success
She wasn't very detailed. Half the time, we had to remind her of what's going on with us, as if she didn't review the chart before seeing us.
Had some miscommunication between me, doctor, and scheduler regarding what test I was getting. This pushed back treatment by multiple months due to availability. Great communication [from the nursing staff], always gets back to you with answers to questions in a prompt fashion.
She is pleasant but seems confused or not up to date on what's going on with me. We chose her because she had the first availability but now we regret the decision.
Stay on top of things. She is very smart as a clinician but she is not as organized as we would like. We want someone who takes the time to at least know where we left off last time.
Great communication, always gets back to you with answers to questions in a prompt fashion. Made me feel comfortable.

2015, Successful
I have had a very good experience with Dr. Stadtmauer. She has answered every question I have and helped me in whatever I needed... Be your own advocate. I did have to ask for some specific tests to be done but she's always willing to listen and hear you out.
She [Dr. Stadtmauer] has answered every question I have and helped me in whatever I needed. It has been a great experience. My only complaint is really with the office. They try to get back but when it comes to the coordinators it is sometimes like pulling teeth....
I have had a very good experience with dr. Stadtmauer. She has answered every question I have and helped me in whatever I needed. It has been a great experience. My only complaint is really with the office. They try to get back but when it comes to the coordinators it is sometimes like pulling teeth....
I really felt like Dr stadtmauer could pick me out of a line up and call me out by name.
2015, Successful
We saw Dr. Bocca for our initial appointment and to test and freeze my husbands sperm. When we saw her we had a surrogate lined up in Virginia Beach. It did not end up working with that surrogate and that is why we did the rest of our treatments in Florida. ... She took a lot of time to explain our options and was always very kind!
The nurse coordinator [at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] for our surrogacy was always very prompt at returning calls. Dr. Bocca is such a friendly and compassionate physician. I was very pleased for all of her advice and how well she educated us as we started our process to create a baby! ... I do not remember the exact cost but we did our sperm testing and freezing through the Jones institute. I believe it was about 2000.00
Ask questions if you don’t understand something!
She took a lot of time to explain our options and was always very kind!
The nurse coordinator for our surrogacy was always very prompt at returning calls. Dr. Bocca is such a friendly and compassionate physician. I was very pleased for all of her advice and how well she educated us as we started our process to create a baby!

2012 - 2014, Successful
The initial consultation the Dr. [Bocca] was very warm and welcoming but we hardly interacted with her following the initial visit...She was very great about answering any questions or concerns... I would like to see more resources geared toward the LGBT community and families...The initial visit was very knowledgeable and left us with a good feeling of where to start...Overall it was a great experience for someone who had no idea what to expect.
The Hospital [Jones] we went to did a great job but it does not focus on the LGBT community so it was gray areas when it came to some of the care and resources... This clinic had a overall good experience it's not as personalized that you would want it to be but everyone we encountered along the way had a very professional and friendly manner... We didn't have a specific nurse assigned to our care we pretty much encountered whoever was available during the times of necessary appointments.
The initial visit was very knowledgeable and left us with a good feeling of where to start. There wasn't much of a breakdown surrounding cost and what we could expect in term of finances we had to do some research. Overall it was a great experience for someone who had no idea what to expect.
I recommend that you ask all the questions that you could at the initial consultation because you will not be able to have many opportunities' to do so. Come prepared with all of your questions written down so that you don't miss anything. She was very great about answering any questions or concerns.
The initial consultation the Dr. was very warm and welcoming but we hardly interacted with her following the initial visit. The Hospital we went to did a great job but it does not focus on the LGBT community so it was gray areas when it came to some of the care and resources.
We didn't have a specific nurse assigned to our care we pretty much encountered whoever was available during the times of necessary appointments. I don't recall having any bad experiences everyone was professional and had a friendly manner but it wasn't a one on one type of care feeling.
This clinic had a overall good experience it's not as personalized that you would want it to be but everyone we encountered along the way had a very professional and friendly manner. I would like to see more resources geared toward the LGBT community and families. It would be great if you were assigned a personal nurse or had more of a one on one feeling with the doctor. We didn't know in the process that following the initial consultation we would not really meet with Dr. Bocca again. It did take 3 cycles over the course of 3 years so I guess the timing puts a strain on the process.
The Process for IUI cost average $345 per insemination, $50-$100 for consultation, $100 per hormone injection per cycle, $25 for co pays, suppositories averaged $40- $50, Ultra Sounds $50- $100, blood work $0.00 included with insurance
2013 - 2014, Successful
I appreciated Dr Os commitment to my treatment. He laid out a very clear plan and took immediate action... He seem to be rooting for us and was committed to doing everything in his power to help us get a positive outcome.
There were times during the process that the staff left me feeling a bit like a number... Communication could be clearer - feel like there we times that things weren't clearly explained - like when to call for appointment/ blood work.
I appreciated Dr Os commitment to my treatment. He laid out a very clear plan and took immediate action. Good sense of humor. Sometimes a little difficult to understand due to accent.
Make an appointment immediately.
I feel like Dr. O did care about me. He seem to be rooting for us and was committed to doing everything in his power to help us get a positive outcome. There were times during the process that the staff left me feeling a bit like a number. For example during blood draws. When we did get a positive pregnancy test, they gave us a personalized card with ultrasound images which was a nice touch.