Genetic counseling: Offered
925-244-7400
Sunnyvale
1263 East Arques Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94085
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kaiser Permanente NorCal to a friend?

He’s very blunt, has no bedside manner, and doesn’t seem to care if treatment works or not. He found out that I had complained about him and confronted me about it, chewing me out for doing so. ... I cannot stress enough how much I would not recommend Dr. Grosskinsky. He’s threatens me in a way that I can’t put my finger on ... He makes me feel powerless and less than human.
We get seen by the doctor fairly quickly and the clinic [Kaiser Permanente] is clean. However, the staff and Dr. Grosskinsky are cruel and unkind. ... There were a few nurses who were very caring and the rest seemed entertained by Dr. Grosskinsky’s terrible behavior. Many times I would see the nurses who were assigned to be in the room with Dr. Grosskinsky and I laughing at his remarks on failed treatment.
How was your experience with Clemens Grosskinsky at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Grosskinsky is a fear monger omg doctor. He told my partner and I that if I didn’t follow his exact instructions I could end up “in a body bag” and my children would end up “on the short bus”. He would blame me if treatment didn’t work. He’s very blunt, has no bedside manner, and doesn’t seem to care if treatment works or not. He found out that I had complained about him and confronted me about it, chewing me out for doing so.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Clemens Grosskinsky at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
If you must see him, ask if you can record him or have your partner in the room. He made me feel very threatened and having a recording or partner with you makes the appointment more bearable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Clemens Grosskinsky at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Sometimes I would ask questions, break down and cry from stress, or need further explanation on things I didn’t understand and he would blow me off, not answer my questions, or blame me for why treatment didn’t work. I felt like a number, and he was rushing off to the next patient.
Describe the protocols Clemens Grosskinsky used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
Dr. Grosskinsky started me on 3 vials of menapur injections for 3 days. This overstimulated my ovaries. He then gave me 1 vial of menapur for 3 days followed by 4 days of final f. This also overstimulated my ovaries. He never tried 2 vials of any medication. He also refused to see me and do ultrasounds to check on my follicles at times despite my pleading that something was wrong.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
We get seen by the doctor fairly quickly and the clinic is clean. However, the staff and Dr. Grosskinsky are cruel and unkind. I cannot stress enough how much I would not recommend Dr. Grosskinsky. He’s threatens me in a way that I can’t put my finger on it but other people have witnessed and understood what he’s doing. He makes me feel powerless and less than human.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Clemens Grosskinsky at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I’m with kaiser so my co pay was $5 for almost everything.
Describe Clemens Grosskinsky's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I never told Dr. Grosskinsky that I wanted twins or triplets or more. He still felt that he should tell me if I ever did decide I wanted multiples that they would “end up on the short bus or die.”
Fremont

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Clemens Grosskinsky at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.

3 IUI, IVF
I started with the least aggressive approach ... I realized that Dr. Grosskinsky may not have been informing me when I was not facing optimal circumstances for IUI but I am not certain about that. ... Dr. Grosskinsky has a great personality and sense of humor. He knows how to lighten the mood during awkward situations without discounting the emotional nature of fertility treatment. ... He showed that he cared about my overall well-being and remembered personal details that we had discussed in past visits.
Kaiser is such a big operation that sometimes there are communication issues between all the different departments. The upside to that is have a care "team," who all bring something different to the experience. ... IVF through Kaiser will cost about $25,000. ... The medications cost the most, about $600 when doing all menopur shots. The IUI cost about $400 each. ... I started with the least aggressive approach
3 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Clemens Grosskinsky at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Grosskinsky has a great personality and sense of humor. He knows how to lighten the mood during awkward situations without discounting the emotional nature of fertility treatment. He showed genuine concern for my well-being when I presented him with a medical concern that had nothing to do with my fertility treatment. After seeing another fertility doctor I realized that Dr. Grosskinsky may not have been informing me when I was not facing optimal circumstances for IUI but I am not certain about that. Overall, I felt like his personality was a great fit for helping a stress-case like me deal with the realities of fertility treatment.
Ask questions, make sure you understand everything about your process and the recommendations being given to you.
Dr. Grosskinsky is personable and has a great sense of humor. He showed that he cared about my overall well-being and remembered personal details that we had discussed in past visits.
I started with the least aggressive approach; femara pills, trigger shot and intercourse. The second time; femara pills, trigger shot and IUI. The third try; a combination of femara pills and menopur shots, trigger shot and IUI. The forth and final try; 3 vials of menopur, trigger shot and IUI. After that we decided it was time for IVF and started seeing a different doctor.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The medications cost the most, about $600 when doing all menopur shots. The IUI cost about $400 each. IVF through Kaiser will cost about $25,000.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
He [Dr. Jon Proctor] is very straight forward which I like, always knew me & my history when I arrived. Sort of surprising with so many patients. I’ve seen him over the course of 4 years with a 3 year gap and he is exactly the same now as when I saw him 4 years ago. Great doctor, straight forward and very knowledgeable. It’s a good fit for my personality, I don’t need sympathy - just the facts please.
For me it [Kaiser Permanente-Fremont] is very convienent , all of the labs, radiology etc are located close to each other and since it is all Kaiser the billing is also very centralized. This office is very busy, not that I see a lot of patients when I go, but after referral my initial consult was scheduled over a month later. We booked IVF and were scheduled for 4.5 months later. In review: I really love the convience of everything being connected, love the doctors and staff, but it was a very long wait to do every step because they are so booked.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He is very straight forward which I like, always knew me & my history when I arrived. Sort of surprising with so many patients. I’ve seen him over the course of 4 years with a 3 year gap and he is exactly the same now as when I saw him 4 years ago. Great doctor, straight forward and very knowledgeable. It’s a good fit for my personality, I don’t need sympathy - just the facts please.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Be patient, they are booked out for months. If you are in a hurry, I would not recommend.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Lots of references about my particular situation and history. He took a lot of time to review and discuss my history and what he has seen in similar patients. He is a great balance of matter of fact stats and how sometimes the human factor is even more telling of what the possible outcome will be.
Describe the protocols Jon Proctor used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
Have not started medication yet. I fully trust he will develop the correct protocol. We did a HSG, saw tubes are blocked and decided to skip IUI and go directly to IVF right there in radiology.
So far everyone has been really helpful, knowledgeable and very good communicators.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
For me it is very convienent , all of the labs, radiology etc are located close to each other and since it is all Kaiser the billing is also very centralized. This office is very busy, not that I see a lot of patients when I go, but after referral my initial consult was scheduled over a month later. We booked IVF and were scheduled for 4.5 months later. In review: I really love the convience of everything being connected, love the doctors and staff, but it was a very long wait to do every step because they are so booked.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Fresh transfer cycle with ICSI and assisted hatching. $14000 HSG $400 Saline sono $400
Describe Jon Proctor's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
He suggests 1, except for my age allows for 2. I agree with him.
Fremont

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.

Male Factor, Other
Dr. Proctor took a personal interest in our journey and always made us feel important and cared for.... Dr. Proctor was knowledgeable, compassionate and very responsive whenever I contacted him. He coordinated well with my husband’s male factor infertility specialist...We used a standard stimulation protocol (follistim, Menopur, ganirelix). I was allergic to follistim and dr proctor was very responsive and quickly switched me to gonal-f.
It was efficient, but busy! They recommended I get there early and as long as I did the wait wasn’t bad at all.... They [Kaiser Permanente NorCal] were also very responsive to any questions or immediate needs. Weaknesses: the clinic is very busy which makes appointments feel rushed at times. Wait times can be quite long.... They [nurses] were always compassionate and helpful. No negative experiences at all.
Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Proctor was knowledgeable, compassionate and very responsive whenever I contacted him. He coordinated well with my husband’s male factor infertility specialist (Dr. Turek). Dr. Turek is picky about providers that he will coordinate with and he was happy to work with Dr. Proctor and his team. His faith in Dr. Proctor speaks volumes.
Appointments are quick because of the volume at the clinic. Come prepared with questions and do not expect long conversations. Dr.Proctor is very knowledgeable and responsive but does not have all the time in the world to sit and talk at every appointment.
We used a standard stimulation protocol (follistim, Menopur, ganirelix). I was allergic to follistim and dr proctor was very responsive and quickly switched me to gonal-f. I had an excellent response and 30 eggs were retrieved (25 nature). My husband has severe male factor infertility causing only 4 eggs to fertilize normally. Of the 4 embryos at day 1, 3 made it to freeze (we had to do a frozen cycle because my husband’s Soren retrieval surgery occurred weeks after my egg retrieval due to his doctors schedule). We transferred one embryo in December 2017 and I am now 15 weeks pregnant with a baby girl and we have two more high quality embryos on ice for later.
They were always compassionate and helpful. No negative experiences at all.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Strengths: knowledge of clinicians and success rates are excellent. Can’t argue with miracle results! They were also very responsive to any questions or immediate needs. Weaknesses: the clinic is very busy which makes appointments feel rushed at times. Wait times can be quite long. Also the ohlone kaiser pharmacy the clinic works with is awful. I switched to Walgreens discorx and had a much better experience AND my coverage was maintained even though it was Walgreens and not kaiser.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
We had 50% coverage for one cycle, so the IVF cycle cost $6500 (without medications, including ICSI but no PGS). Our FET was full price and cost $4000 without medications m. However, since we did eset, we would get additional transfers of single embryos for free until a live birth.
Dr. proctor explained the risks and benefits of each thoroughly. Because I have no known fertility issues and we wanted to try and avoid multiples, we went with eset, which resulted in my current pregnancy (1st FET was a success).
Fremont

Dr. Moy always tried to remember details about us and made conversation during the routine appointments. She has a great sense of humor and attitude and I really felt that she was rooting for us. During some more difficult news, she called us or made time for a phone call and answered all of our questions...When issues arose, she reached out to the labs to understand what happened on our behalf and I do feel she went to bat for us as best she could. She was always good humored, patient, and understanding.
The clinic, being Kaiser, has its limitations including the level of patient education you receive, the inflexibility around being on the pill in preparation for the scheduled cycles, and the feeling that I was being "shuffled through." I once received an email from a nurse addressing me by someone else's name..... Our doctor and the head embryologist explained what happened very thoroughly and patiently. We were offered a sympathetic "these things happen" but they did not claim responsibility nor did they offer a free cycle.
How was your experience with Irene Moy at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I really love Dr Moy. We got to know each other quite well over three retrievals and the monitoring appts and phone calls and emails that surround it. She was our point person during all of it and was readily available for our questions. I really felt like she was rooting for us and we had many phone calls to hear news, discuss next steps, or answer questions. When issues arose, she reached out to the labs to understand what happened on our behalf and I do feel she went to bat for us as best she could. She was always good humored, patient, and understanding. There were times when I would have liked more information about the protocols and medications, and how/why she decided on the changes that she did. Overall though, I had a wonderful experience with Dr Moy. It's the limitation of Kaiser that were ultimately disappointing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Irene Moy at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
If you have questions during an appointment, ask them quickly. She will make time to answer your questions but she does seem to be in a rush. She's matter of fact and to the point which we appreciated.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Irene Moy at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Moy always tried to remember details about us and made conversation during the routine appointments. She has a great sense of humor and attitude and I really felt that she was rooting for us. During some more difficult news, she called us or made time for a phone call and answered all of our questions. Even when she had a cold.
Describe the protocols Irene Moy used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
All three retrieval protocols included Follistim, Menopur, and Ganirelix. The second two added Omnitrope and included a dual trigger which appeared to help the number and maturity of eggs retrieved. As with all Kaiser protocols, I was on the pill for a good portion of time prior to and after stimulation and retrievals.
Nursing staff were good. It would have been nice to have a designated nurse/coordinator throughout the process but instead it was whoever called back. That worked fine. They were friendly, knowledgeable, and helped answer my questions. The nurses during the actual retrieval were also friendly, some seemed new. Getting an IV needle in was difficult during all three retrievals.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The clinic, being Kaiser, has its limitations including the level of patient education you receive, the inflexibility around being on the pill in preparation for the scheduled cycles, and the feeling that I was being "shuffled through." I once received an email from a nurse addressing me by someone else's name. The substance of the email was appropriate to me but it was very much a "copy paste" scenario. I could deal with all of this though until we encountered some issues with the embryology lab that have me looking into other clinics. In short, we lost one high quality PGS normal embryo because, as we were told, there was a very rare instance when the embryologist was unable to remove all of the oil from the embryo before freezing, rendering it unlikely to thaw successfully. Our doctor and the head embryologist explained what happened very thoroughly and patiently. We were offered a sympathetic "these things happen" but they did not claim responsibility nor did they offer a free cycle. I did another retrieval and our next PGS normal embryo had to be thawed, re-biopsied, and refrozen because the first biopsy came back as "No DNA present." I don't know where the breakdown occurred this second time (whether at Kaiser or the genetic testing lab) but it's enough of a question mark that I have trouble trusting the Kaiser lab. We will likely have further conversations with Kaiser.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Irene Moy at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Retreival: $9,305; ICSI: $1,900; Biopsy for PGS:$3,00; FET: $2,365 (unused credit); ~$8k in meds for each round
Describe Irene Moy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
While we never got to the transfer stage, Dr Moy recommended transferring only one PGS tested normal embryo or more than one only if they hadn't been tested bc of risks of carrying multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
See earlier post re: embryology lab.
Irene Moy
Fremont

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Irene Moy at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.

2 IUI, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
PCOS, Unexplained
Weaknesses: [Dr. Farah-Eways is] unwilling to put in more than 1 embryo at a time (at the beginning) until the 3rd round when she put in 2, which worked & producer a singleton. Strengths: she’s had good results and did change my treatment to remove a polyp which helped result in a singleton, but took till the 3rd round. ... Have your questions ready. She’s a busy doctor with not a lot of time to spend answering your questions if you aren’t prepared.
Very clean. Typical Kaiser office (seen at the Sunnyvale clinic, but transfer done in Fremont). Parking good at both. Chose because of location and proximity to my office. Front desk staff very helpful and remembered my name. ... All [nursing staff] very communicative, but busy office so sometimes wouldn’t hear back until the end of the day.
2 IUI, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Weaknesses: unwilling to put in more than 1 embryo at a time (at the beginning) until the 3rd round when she put in 2, which worked & producer a singleton. Strengths: she’s had good results and did change my treatment to remove a polyp which helped result in a singleton, but took till the 3rd round.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Overall like a human. It was hard having unexplained infertility to not have answers, but she did her best to answer all of my questions.
Describe the protocols Lisa Farah-Eways used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
Unexplained infertility. Typical protocol re injections. 1st round put in a fresh 6-day embryo, resulted in miscarriage. 2nd round didn’t work. 3rd round did a polyp removal and had planned to do an endometrial scratch but didn’t do it because she said was unnecessary. Also agreed to put in 2 embryos instead of 1 since this protocol had worked for another patient. Resulted in a singleton whom I carried full term and is now 13.5 mo old.
All very communicative, but busy office so sometimes wouldn’t hear back until the end of the day.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
All out of pocket. Nothing covered by insurance. Average prices.
Describe Lisa Farah-Eways's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Very strong preference to only insert 1 embryo at a time. Said had resulted in too many multiples in the past and Board of OBs didn’t allow insertion of more than 1 unless there was a medical reason.
Lisa Farah-Eways
Fremont

Dr. Harris has great bedside manners. I can trust him because he gives me all the information I need and warns me about risks. For example, he warned me that I am at risk for OHSS and confidently told me he would closely manage my medication to prevent OHSS as much as possible.... I was diagnosed with PCOS. My husband was diagnosed with non-obstructive azoospermi (NOA). We knew we’d be using donor sperm and Dr. Harris said we could try IUI cycles or IVF ICSI. We are paying out of pocket so we opted for IUI.
The front office staff [Kaiser NorCal] is amazing. The team is professional and patient. They swiftly get me checked in and ready for my appointment. Some patients attended the appointment with their baby and the staff would naturally congratulate them, but it stung a little bit. It felt inconsiderate for the staff to celebrate a baby in the wait room around patients who are there because we cannot get pregnant. Maybe the can have blank cards at hand saying: congratulations! Instead of talking about the baby’s arrival in front of patients.
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Harris is friendly, approachable, knowledgeable, and funny. I can ask him any question and he will promptly have an answer. I can book a consultation, request a phone call, or my personal favorite: email through kp.org. He answers within 1 working day and makes notes for his team (in case they have to follow-up with me).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Harris has a warm personality. He always greets me with a smile and listens to my questions/concerns.
Describe the protocols Isiah Harris used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
I was diagnosed with PCOS. My husband was diagnosed with non-obstructive azoospermi (NOA). We knew we’d be using donor sperm and Dr. Harris said we could try IUI cycles or IVF ICSI. We are paying out of pocket so we opted for IUI. We knew the chances were slim (5-8%), but we had to try before seriously considering IVF ICSI. Before starting the IUI cycles, Dr. Harris and his team of Nurse Practitioners helped regular my thyroid hormone by taking Levothroid once a day. It took about 3 months to get my thyroid under control. Each IUI cycle consisted of: Femara 3 times a day for 5 days, vaginal scan to see if I was ovulating soon (periods are irregular), trigger shot in my belly (Ovidrel). All of this was painless and mildly uncomfortable. The vaginal scans and inseminations are uncomfortable. All 3 IUI resulted in negative pregnancy tests. We decided to move forward and try IVF ICSI. We have our date booked for January 6, 2019 and we’re looking forward to be under Dr. Hariss’ care.
Three different Nurse Practitioners did my IUIs. It wasn’t ideal, however, between managing both our work schedules and the NP’s availability, we had to work with what was available to us. Before, I was very receptive about who I would book my appointments with. Now, I am happy to take an appointment that works with our schedules and gets me pregnant! :)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The front office staff is amazing. The team is professional and patient. They swiftly get me checked in and ready for my appointment. Some patients attended the appointment with their baby and the staff would naturally congratulate them, but it stung a little bit. It felt inconsiderate for the staff to celebrate a baby in the wait room around patients who are there because we cannot get pregnant. Maybe the can have blank cards at hand saying: congratulations! Instead of talking about the baby’s arrival in front of patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
For the 3 IUI cycles we spent about $3,000 (including medication: insurance covered 50%). Plus, another $4000 for 3 vials of donor sperm. Currently we placed a deposit for $13,000 for IVF ICSI (cost of medications not included).
Describe Isiah Harris's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
This question isn’t applicable because we haven’t done IVF, but Dr. Harris did stress to me that he wants to do a single embryo transfer. We’re okay with that decision because we want to do what will be most safe for myself and the baby.
Isiah Harris
Fremont

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.

Dr. Shen was cold and clinical, which is fine, but frequently gave incorrect information or neglected to tell me details of my treatment all together. Each appoint,met was rushed and short. I often left with more confusion and questions than when I arrived at each appointment due to Dr. Shen's poor communication. She was not receptive to any of my feedback when sharing previous IUI procedures and experiences and was set on her idea of how to proceed with IUI.
Staff [at Kaiser - Fremont] forgot to give me paperwork required for intake. I faxed and emailed them multiple times but the documents were never received. Staff never told me the timing of my HCG trigger injection and never did an injection training with me. They also failed to call my letrozole prescription in to the pharmacy. Staff told me that for my IUI procedure I could bring my sperm (from a bank) with me at the time of my appointment. I asked multiple times and they all confirmed this was true. I got a call four hours prior to my IUI from the clinic demanding that I drive to their office with the sperm immediately because they apparently want to have it prior to the appointment. I had to abruptly leave work and wait at UPS until it arrived, since Kaiser won't accept sperm bank shipments at their offices. This adds to the cost and stress. When I expressed that I was upset with the last minute stress despite asking multiple times in advance to avoid this situation, staff and Dr. Shen shrugged and said that this always happens the first time so now I will know for next time. Also the number of mobile sperm was not shared with me until after the IUI and they were a subpar number. Dr. Shen insisted that Kaiser do the sperm wash rather than purchase pre-washed IUI sperm, and I feel that the lab must have damaged the sample and that this was bad advice. Dr. Shen told me after my IUI that next month when I wanted to come back the procedure will be better - almost as if she expected it to fail, which was extremely disappointing to hear immediately following and IUI. When the IUI was not successful, she only told me that there is a higher chance of it not working so I should not be surprised. She then asked if I wanted to do the same procedure with no changes. When I asked what we could do differently moving forward, she said there is nothing that can be done differently. Needless to say, this was one of my final interactions with this doctor.
How was your experience with Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Be prepared to be treated like a number. Be prepared with thorough questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Shen did not acknowledge my personal situation or previous diagnosis(es) when telling me my treatment plan. My treatment plan was not a discussion and was not negotiable, and it felt as if she gave the same treatment plan to everyone who works with her. Dr. Shen only referenced statistics of people in my age range rather than specific treatment goals for someone in my unique situation.
Describe the protocols Wen-Hui Shen used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
I did one IUI using letrozole and HCG trigger shot. Dr. Shen did not explain her rationale for this medication regimen even though I had done this previously without any resulting pregnancy. The IUI I completed with Dr. Shen did not result in a pregnancy or an answer to my years of infertility.
Nursing staff were cold and dismissive, similar to Dr. Shen. When Dr. Shen frequently did not communicate steps or instructions in my IUI procedure, they shrugged it off and said that Dr. Shen frequently forgets to tell patients crucial information. I was never able to reach them by phone and at least half of the messages I left were never returned.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I live in Oakland, so the commute was not ideal for me to Fremont. There is ample parking though so that's good. Staff don't answer phones and I left a message every time I called the office. Staff rarely returned my calls. I was not assigned a nurse or case coordinator so I just had to hope for any of the staff to follow up with me. The lack of communication was abysmal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I did not have insurance coverage for my procedure or medications. My HCG shot was around $150.
Describe Wen-Hui Shen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
We did IUI so this is not applicable.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Staff forgot to give me paperwork required for intake. I faxed and emailed them multiple times but the documents were never received. Staff never told me the timing of my HCG trigger injection and never did an injection training with me. They also failed to call my letrozole prescription in to the pharmacy. Staff told me that for my IUI procedure I could bring my sperm (from a bank) with me at the time of my appointment. I asked multiple times and they all confirmed this was true. I got a call four hours prior to my IUI from the clinic demanding that I drive to their office with the sperm immediately because they apparently want to have it prior to the appointment. I had to abruptly leave work and wait at UPS until it arrived, since Kaiser won't accept sperm bank shipments at their offices. This adds to the cost and stress. When I expressed that I was upset with the last minute stress despite asking multiple times in advance to avoid this situation, staff and Dr. Shen shrugged and said that this always happens the first time so now I will know for next time. Also the number of mobile sperm was not shared with me until after the IUI and they were a subpar number. Dr. Shen insisted that Kaiser do the sperm wash rather than purchase pre-washed IUI sperm, and I feel that the lab must have damaged the sample and that this was bad advice. Dr. Shen told me after my IUI that next month when I wanted to come back the procedure will be better - almost as if she expected it to fail, which was extremely disappointing to hear immediately following and IUI. When the IUI was not successful, she only told me that there is a higher chance of it not working so I should not be surprised. She then asked if I wanted to do the same procedure with no changes. When I asked what we could do differently moving forward, she said there is nothing that can be done differently. Needless to say, this was one of my final interactions with this doctor.
Fremont

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.

Dr. Shen knew my treated my husband and I like we were long time friends. She always had time to answer questions and we felt like she was personally invested in our success.... She let us make decisions and always offered candid and compassionate advice when we struggled with choices. She was extremely professional and up to date on any new discoveries. Paired with her professionalism was a modesty and humbleness which made working with her easy during a difficult time. I
Monitoring was done on specific days and in the morning. The lab for blood work was in the next building. We'd do blood work, walk to the clinic, and wait about 20 mins- 1 hour for an ultrasound. Even with an ultrasound appointment. HINT: You can make a lab appointment which they will honor.... Even signing the paperwork and the class on how to do injections was poorly organized and left me feeling unprepared. HINT: I got my medication at the Disco Rex Walgreens in Palo Alto and they gave me a private tutorial on how to do injections. Much better than the nurses at Kaiser.
How was your experience with Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
We interviewed 4 doctors in total including doctors in Marin and San Francisco. None of them compared to Dr. Shen. She let us make decisions and always offered candid and compassionate advice when we struggled with choices. She was extremely professional and up to date on any new discoveries. Paired with her professionalism was a modesty and humbleness which made working with her easy during a difficult time. I know for a fact that Dr. Shen is the reason I am pregnant now and enjoyed (if that's possible) working with her so much, I considered using her name as our child's middle name!
This process can be so daunting, trust Dr. Shen. She is both professionally knowledgable and down to earth. Choosing her is the one decision we never doubted.
While Dr. Shen was top notch, the rest of the clinic staff had some drawbacks. I was frustrated many times by the procedures and protocols at the clinic. While they were friendly, I didn't find everyone to be as compassionate as they could be, especially considering this line of work. I remember crying on the phone trying to set up an appointment and they had a policy which wouldn't let me. It felt to me the policy was to see as many people as possible, rather than make relationships with the clients they had. Even signing the paperwork and the class on how to do injections was poorly organized and left me feeling unprepared. HINT: I got my medication at the Disco Rex Walgreens in Palo Alto and they gave me a private tutorial on how to do injections. Much better than the nurses at Kaiser.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
You are there to see Dr. Shen. Unfortunately, the rest of the office is not up to her standard! The clinic is functional, not beautiful. It's clean and the lab is right there. This is not a glamorous place, but the job gets done!
Fremont

Doctor [Proctor] was open to my feedback about side effects and made some medication changes as a result...He always answered questions, at appointments or by e-mail. He was pleasant, down-to-earth, and realistic. I didn't wait for long in the waiting area. I also didn't feel rushed during appointments...I did a single-embryo transfer from a frozen embryo that was retrieved at another clinic. He was unsure of how to predict success given that the embryo came from elsewhere, but the cycle was ultimately successful.
[At Kaiser-Fremont] I did a single-embryo transfer from a frozen embryo that was retrieved at another clinic. He was unsure of how to predict success given that the embryo came from elsewhere, but the cycle was ultimately successful...They messed up a billing thing. When I contacted the doctor about it, he said he would let their billing person know, and that she would get back to me. That never happened. I still need to deal with the billing issue. Other than this, and what I have already described, everything was good.
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He always answered questions, at appointments or by e-mail. He was pleasant, down-to-earth, and realistic. I didn't wait for long in the waiting area. I also didn't feel rushed during appointments. Everything went smoothly. When I experienced some side effects, he was able to adjust the medication. I was very pleased, of course, to get pregnant and have my baby.
I remember signing a form regarding the risks of IVF, and there was a wrong statistic on there. It said that 10% of babies from IVF would have birth defects, and it really scared me. When I contacted the doctor, he said that it was incorrect, and the risk was much lower, but they hadn't changed the wording on the document yet. Jeesh. I hope they have since changed it, but if not, consider this your heads up.
Answered all my questions. Had a pleasant demeanor. I didn't wait too long in the waiting area. Doctor was open to my feedback about side effects and made some medication changes as a result.
Things were mostly good with the nurses. Two exceptions, though. One was that they didn't warn me when in the cycle I would get my period. Maybe that should have been obvious to me (?), but I really didn't understand that I was going to get it right then, and it came when I was at the airport headed on a flight. Quite annoying. I wish they would have just explained that to me. The second was that I had a lot of pain injecting into my buttox. I had done these shots before without much pain. They really didn't help me figure out what was going on. They said apply hot, they said apply cold, they said massage. But it was really painful; I was limping around, and it hurt to sit and stand. Then, a friend suggested that the needle might not be the right size for me. That fixed it. But I was really in pain for a while, without help from the nurses (I asked them for help with this more than once).
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
They messed up a billing thing. When I contacted the doctor about it, he said he would let their billing person know, and that she would get back to me. That never happened. I still need to deal with the billing issue. Other than this, and what I have already described, everything was good. (Much better than my previous clinic!)
He was open to my preference.
Fremont

Dr. Harris is warm, friendly, knowledgable, and really partners with you...He did every monitoring ultrasound during IVF, and would make adjustments as he saw you...Dr. Harris is really incredible. He talks very fast, but he is so well versed in the research and gives rationale for why he wanted to do a protocol...He doesn't recommend lifestyle changes (ie supplements, diet, etc). However, he fully supports you if you want to do them... he always manages to light up the room with his infectious smile and laughter.
Kaiser does not assign you a primary nurse for IUIs or IVF. The IUIs are all done by rotating NPs-- all of whom are competent, kind, and engaging...For IUIs, they don't perform them on Sundays, so they'll do it a little early or late if the ideal time was a Sunday...They also made you pay to reserve your spot... I was surprised that it was the nurse who gave the results; not Dr. Harris...When the nurse called me with my beta, she told me I wasn't pregnant. However, I did have a low positive pregnancy test (17).
European, Middle Eastern
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Harris is really incredible. He talks very fast, but he is so well versed in the research and gives rationale for why he wanted to do a protocol. He did every monitoring ultrasound during IVF, and would make adjustments as he saw you. He tried to set expectations about how many he expected to retrieve and why he was making adjustments to the protocol. He batches patients so that he can do every ultrasound-- so he'll go from retrieval to ultrasound to transfer to ultrasound all day long. I'm pretty sure he doesn't sleep for 3 weeks at a time. However, he always manages to light up the room with his infectious smile and laughter.
He doesn't recommend lifestyle changes (ie supplements, diet, etc). However, he fully supports you if you want to do them. He knows how out of control this feels and will support you if want to try to find some control. So please be honest with your supplements; he'll give you an honest opinion about when to start/stop them during your cycle.
Dr. Harris is warm, friendly, knowledgable, and really partners with you. He shares pieces of his life with you, knows who you are, and asks about partner/life/work.
I did a couple of injectable IUIs where the lead follicle stopped growing with a step-down approach (meaning I started at higher doses and then decreased the dose). Based on this data, he made some adjustments to my IVF protocol. We did the antagonist protocol. We started with 150 follistim/150 menopur and then added in the ganirelix after day 6 or 7 of stims. We increased the dose of one or the other med at each appointment, with my max being 375 for both meds by the end. We did ICSI just as a precaution and I'm glad we did; it just took the guesswork out of it. We expected 12 mature eggs, but only ended up with 8 (this was a huge blow!). 7 fertilized and all 7 were growing well at day 3, so we opted for a day 5 transfer. When we got to transfer, we spoke with Dr. Harris and the embryologist who informed us that we had an early blast and a morula. Both of these were a little behind where they "should" have been. All the rest had already arrested or were so far behind they most likely wouldn't make it. They encouraged us to transfer both despite our terror of twins. He did the transfer and then he has a little dance/ritual he does over all his patients after transfer (waving his hands over your abdomen-- maybe a little prayer?) I loved it; as I really felt he was giving us extra love (even if medically it doesn't make a difference). Unfortunately we did not have anything to freeze and our transfer ended in a chemical pregnancy.
Kaiser does not assign you a primary nurse for IUIs or IVF. The IUIs are all done by rotating NPs-- all of whom are competent, kind, and engaging. The IVF nurses reinforce what Dr.Harris just told you when he did your ultrasound. I was surprised that it was the nurse who gave the results; not Dr. Harris. Unfortunately, they informed me I was not pregnant (beta 17) and to stop all meds. I now understand that while the chance of sustaining the pregnancy is almost nothing; I was technically pregnant. I wish they would have told me to continue meds and re-test in 2 days (rather than stop and re-test a week later) I'm 99% sure the outcome would have been the same, but I wish they would have given it a shot. And I didn't know enough to push for it.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Kaiser is a well oiled machine. For all fertility workup, it's pretty standardized, meaning they do initial blood work, semen analysis, saline sonogram, HSG, and hysteroscopy regardless of diagnosis (I think). I never felt like diagnostic testing was hard to get or was missed. For IUIs, they don't perform them on Sundays, so they'll do it a little early or late if the ideal time was a Sunday. For IVF, it's a full 7 day/week system. They batch patients as the Dr does every ultrasound and you see him at every visit. Unfortunately, that meant a pretty long wait in between cycles. But, that does mean a ton of face time with your dr and consistent scans. They also made you pay to reserve your spot. This meant we paid almost 6 months before cycling (which was a nice break), but now I wish we had gone somewhere else or paid for IVF while still doing IUIs to not have that long break. We ended up switching clinics simply because we couldn't do another 6 month break before cycling again. If we could have cycled more quickly, we would have stayed with Dr. Harris and Kaiser.
The monitoring could take 10 mins or 3 hours. Since Dr. Harris does all of his own monitoring, he would go from retrieval to ultrasound to transfer to ultrasound. It was great that you always saw your doctor, but it could lead to some very LONG waits. Additionally, you're given a specific time for monitoring, but it's actually first come/first serve. So ignore the time you're given and just show up as early as possible.
Fertility workup, IUIs were all covered under insurance, so very minimal. IVF was completely out of pocket. I believe it was about 12k for IVF + ICSI. Meds were separate and ended up at about 6k.
He favors eSET, but since both of our embryos were a little behind (early blast and morula) he felt that the morula would probably NOT make it, so it was less risky.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
When the nurse called me with my beta, she told me I wasn't pregnant. However, I did have a low positive pregnancy test (17). Granted, I don't think it would ended in a live birth, but there's a difference between less than 0 and 17. It proved I could GET pregnant (the first time I ever was) and that information changed the way I thought about the cycle and subsequent cycles. I wish they would have communicated that to me and allowed me to stay on meds and re-test 2 days later rather than stopping all meds and re-test a week later.
Isiah Harris
Fremont

Dr. Tan took time to explain things, was always very friendly and on an occasion he thought I may nervous he called me at home after normal work hours to check on me and help explain things in more details. Although he was seeing lots of other patients for IVF I always felt like he cared about me and knew my case...He really took time to ensure I was ok, and explained everything wonderfully. He was very personable and although he gave lots of details about success rates or lack thereof, he did it in a very professional and sensitive manner and no in a doom and gloom way. Great bedside manner...
All the nurses [at Kaiser - Fremont] are very friendly and nice and truly seem to understand how difficult infertility can be.Everyone was scheduled at a certain time so it could be a long wait, but they were really quick and we got to meet with the actual Dr for each appointment so I did not mind. Plus you could check in and then do your bloodwork while you waited...
How was your experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Although there was a little language barrier at times, it was very minimal and only really happened when I asked really random questions about certain fad diets/workouts. He was a great Dr. and I was sad when I left his care to move to my regular OB. He really took time to ensure I was ok, and explained everything wonderfully. He was very personable and although he gave lots of details about success rates or lack thereof, he did it in a very professional and sensitive manner and no in a doom and gloom way. Great bedside manner.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
If you have a question ask him, he is more than willing to answer it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
It was great that ever appointment I saw Dr Tan. All the nurses are very friendly and nice and truly seem to understand how difficult infertility can be.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I was mainly seen at the San Ramon Satellite office and that office was great, no complaints at all. Had to go to the Fremont Office for weekend appointment and for the IVF retrieval and transfer and the staff there was not as personable as the San Ramon office.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
She [Dr Shen] managed my cycle beautifully. I was at risk for OHSS and was still able to do a fresh transfer and I credit a lot of that to how well she managed my response to the meds, which can be very unpredictable. She was very competent and explained everything to us in detail.
The office [Kaiser Fremont] itself is not the best at communicating as you often had to leave messages and get called back and they batch cycle which is frustrating but Dr. shen was amazing and worth the inconvenience for me....You see different nurses each time so I didn't have a point person. The communication system was a bit frustrating because it involved leaving messages and getting called back. The nurses during my procedures were wonderful and they all were very compassionate and helpful.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
She managed my cycle beautifully. I was at risk for ohss and was still able to do a fresh transfer and I credit a lot of that to how well she managed my response to the meds, which can be very unpredictable. She was very competant and explained everything to us in detail. The office itself is not the best at communicating as you often had to leave messages and get called back and they batch cycle which is frustrating but Dr. shen was amazing and worth the inconvenience for me.
The batching is worth it because it means she handles all aspects of your care. Even routine ultrasounds with her were much better than with other REs I have seen and she was wonderful throughout all our procedures.
She does all monitoring for the cycle herself and was involved in all aspects of our ivf cycle. She listened to us and answered all of our questions when I came in with 4 pages of them and was patient and kind the whole time.
Antagonist protocol, 150 gonalf 75 menopur. I have pcos so we needed the option of a lupron trigger which we used but my ovaries tend to be resistant to stims so we did this higher dose than normal for a pcos patient and stimmed for 12 days.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
It is off the kaiser campus in an office building across the street. The receptionist is great and very sweet. The price structure is clear and communicated really well.
10k flat fee for ivf and $1190 for icsi.

2012 - 2015
I liked my doctor [at Kaiser], the couple of other doctors that I've met, and the nursing staff and care coordinators. The biggest weakness is the wait time which has hovered around 6 months for years. Also, the billing folks occasionally have issues (although in my case that tended to be forgetting to charge me for things)...Monitoring appointments are go to the lab across the street when it opens, then come in for monitoring. If you don't want to wait, you have to be early (7am). Not my favorite method, but I get that it is designed for people who have to get to work.
2012 - 2015
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I ended up with Dr Proctor because in 2012 when I went to the Kaiser clinic, he had a cancellation in his current cycle and they offered the slot to me. It turned out to be a great decision. We had cycled with a doctor at Stanford a couple of years prior and the difference was night and day. Dr. Proctor remembered my info from visit to visit. I got complete explanations about what was going on without even having to ask. He was kind in his delivery of news, but never overly optimistic or creating false hopes. The IVF cycle was successful. We went back in late 2015 hoping to do a FET with our one frozen embryo; it didn't survive thawing. Dr. Proctor told us himself and he and the embryologist explained what had likely happened. I felt that he handled it quite well.
I think he is a great doc, but he might not be for you if you need a lot of sugar coating on things. Also, the wait is currently long.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I liked my doctor, the couple of other doctors that I've met, and the nursing staff and care coordinators. The biggest weakness is the wait time which has hovered around 6 months for years. Also, the billing folks occasionally have issues (although in my case that tended to be forgetting to charge me for things).
Base cost for the IVF was just over $9000; my meds were another almost $5000; ICSI was $1000. This was in 2012.
I remember being told that they would not transfer more than 2 embryos in a patient my age (I was 30 at the time). They gave me the option of eSET and a thorough explanation of the risks, but I elected to transfer 2 and given my history didn't get any pushback.

1 IUI, IVF
Dr. Tan knows his stuff about ivf and treatment. He was supportive to our wants and needs and did as we asked. As I said before he was difficult to get an appointment with since he is the main dr. He was our main dr. But we really did it see him often. Expect for our first consult and final consult regarding ivf ... He spoke will and seemed to know my case didn’t see him often because he’s the main ivf dr for kaiser in our area
They [Kaiser Permanente] did not let me know about possible issues with my tubes until after we had done numerous cycles and spent months trying. ... You are treated as a number not as a person. Appointments are not flexible and rarely convenient for patients. After going to the clinic for three years some of the staff still didn’t recognize me. They put you on a schedule that fits them instead of working with you.
1 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Don’t expect to see him regularly. You’ll be pushed around to other dr.
Describe the protocols Orkun Tan used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
Our plan was clomid and regular intercourse, then we tried clomid and iui. I got pregnant but it was ectopic. Spent three horrible months waiting to find out if I was miscarrying. Had an emergency tube removal then a couple months later started treatment again with menopour 3 vials four 7 days, then hcg trigger and iui. We did this treatment 5 or 6 times. No luck.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
Nurses were helpful in the process but weren’t personal.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Cost we’re 50% covered by insurance
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
They did not let me know about possible issues with my tubes until after we had done numerous cycles and spent months trying. That was the last straw. They also forgot to order blood test and sometime failed To explain prescriptions.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Unexplained
My husband and I liked how Dr. Proctor was honest in his approach and was not trying to sell us on additional treatments. He was honest about the success rate and he was also straightforward about whether genetic testing was worth the extra costs or not ...He is skilled and honest and we had a good experience with him... I didn't have a very emotional connection with him but I got that with the nurses so I felt fine about that.
I felt that the nursing staff [at Kaiser - Fremont] was great and very supportive. They were always friendly and compassionate...The clinic is in a nice building and was clean and comfortable... [Re: monitoring appointments] I didn't love this aspect but in the end it worked fine. There was just one day that I got there a bit later and I had to wait almost two hours...When going to this clinic, see it as a whole team.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
My husband and I liked how Dr. Proctor was honest in his approach and was not trying to sell us on additional treatments. He was honest about the success rate and he was also straightforward about whether genetic testing was worth the extra costs or not (for us, we ended up not seeing the added value for how much more money it was but it all depends on the circumstances). Other clinics we went to during our research, really tried to sell people on the genetic testing but Dr. Proctor was not like that. During my visits, as I mentioned, I felt he was a bit overworked at the time but he was always present. When the cycle was not going so well at first, he made adjustments and I could see that he had to make a decision based on a gut feeling & probably prior experience on whether I should take meds for another day or not. I had no idea what to do in that situation so had to trust him, which I did, and I ended up getting pregnant. I didn't have a very emotional connection with him but I got that with the nurses so I felt fine about that. Having gone through a lot before this point, I understand that the doctor being skilled and experienced is more important than him/her being my emotional support. I can get that elsewhere. I am paying for a professional, skilled IVF doctor; not a therapist.
When going to this clinic, see it as a whole team. What you may not get from Dr. Proctor (emotional support, touchy feely etc.), you can get from the nurses, family/friends, etc. He is skilled and honest and we had a good experience with him.
I felt that Dr.Proctor was friendly & personable but he also seemed to be a bit overloaded & tired at the time. He was working A LOT during the time I saw him. I saw him after he took a two week vacation and I definitely saw a difference in his energy level & emotional connection to me. I was also confirmed as pregnant at that time so I think he was also happy that we had a successful cycle and felt accomplished.
I unfortunately don't remember all of the specifics of what type of meds/dosages I took. But probably a third of the way through, he increased my dosage to the maximum since I was not producing eggs on the right side (I had ovarian cyst removal on that side so not surprising). This did help with the egg production but I still didn't produce a ton of eggs. Towards the end of my injection cycle, I had 4 really good eggs on the left side and he wondered if we should do one more day of injections in order to see if the right side would catch up... but in the end, he decided to NOT do this in order to not risk compromising those 4 eggs that were ready and looking good. In the end, we ended up with 4 great embryos (one of which is due to be born in two weeks!), and although we can't prove this, Dr. Proctor believes that those 4 embryos were most likely from those 4 great eggs. This is a decision he made that could have gone the other way- he could have decided to go another day of meds and those eggs could have been compromised. Even though I did not produce a ton of eggs (7 total), 5 fertilized and 4 became embryos which is a really great outcome considering the low amount of eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I felt that the nursing staff was great and very supportive. They were always friendly and compassionate. There was one day in particular that I was upset and started to cry since my cycle was not going well at the moment. I was standing in the hall so she had me go into one of the offices and her & another nurse let me be emotional and they comforted me. What I liked the most was that they didn't give me false hope or the opposite. One of the main coordinators said, "You only need one good egg. Just stay hopeful but grounded" and I thought that was very good advise. I really appreciated their support especially in that moment.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The clinic is in a nice building and was clean and comfortable. It's a little confusing on how to enter the building sometimes. If it's before the actual building is open, you have to be let in through an intercom and that was strange sometimes.
I didn't love this aspect but in the end it worked fine. There was just one day that I got there a bit later and I had to wait almost two hours. Luckily it was a day I didn't have to work so it wasn't as bad. But even when you had to wait, there was a nice waiting room with seating etc.
Dr. Proctor did say that someone my age (39 at the time of transfer), would normally put 2-3 eggs in. My husband and I had done research and decided to just put one embryo in for this first transfer. If it hadn't of worked, we may have done two the next time. But for this first transfer, that is what we did. Dr. Proctor left the decision to us and did not try to convince us otherwise. I told him our rationale (riskier pregnancy for babies and mom, very hard and expensive to have two babies especially where we live, we don't have family nearby to help us, etc. ) and he agreed those are major factors to consider when deciding. He respected our decision.

2012 - 2014
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained, Other
I feel that every test was run that needed to be run. The doctor [Dr. John Proctor] tried different tests and procedures to help us get answers or diagnose the problem for our infertility journey.... My experience had some great times but also some frustrating and sad moments. There were times when looking over test results or images when I was told over and over again what a unique case I had and I wish I could give you more information. Dr. Proctor was willing to explore different tests and procedures and was honest with the fact that they may not give us any new answers.
I feel that the clinic [Kaiser Permanente Fremont] was a nice clinic with a great seating area in the waiting room to help you feel comfortable.... The nursing staff was great and communicated well with me.... My experience had some great times but also some frustrating and sad moments. There were times when looking over test results or images when I was told over and over again what a unique case I had and I wish I could give you more information. Dr. Proctor was willing to explore different tests and procedures and was honest with the fact that they may not give us any new answers.
2012 - 2014
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
To be open to suggested tests and procedures but at the same time be prepared that the answers you receive may not be the ones you want to hear.
I feel that every test was run that needed to be run. The doctor tried different tests and procedures to help us get answers or diagnose the problem for our infertility journey.
I remember starting with the basic blood work and a couple imaging tests, mri, ultrasounds and some other stuff. From there seeing as there was a blockage somewhere surgery to explore and see if they could find the source was done with no real answers found.
The nursing staff was great and communicated well with me.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I feel that the clinic was a nice clinic with a great seating area in the waiting room to help you feel comfortable.
The cost ranged from visit to visit depending on what was going on and what tests needed to be run. My insurance covered 50% of the cost for most of the visits and tests. I did have to pay some of them fully out of pocket.

Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
I really like Dr. Shen. She is very thorough and caring. The downside is I don’t see her often. She’s has only performed one iui and seen me for one scan, besides the initial consult. I also think after a few unsuccessful cycles it would be good to sit down again and Go over options again. ... I never have to repeat my situation ... We started with Clomid and iui. Unsuccessful. We used then did two more iui cycles with higher dosages. Still unsuccessful. We then went to letrozole and still unsuccessful.
Staff [Kaiser Permanente] is very nice. Wait times can be long. But once you are seen they do not rush and take their time. ... They were clear in my consult going over what my coverage was and how much I would pay for each service ... And all Instructions were clear. Also received printed instructions. And out of state pharmacies were used To get me the best prices. ... Nursing staff was quick to respond to phone messages. And quick at scheduling appointments when needed
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Ask as many questions in the consult with her because you may not see her again for awhile.
They always follow up and have great notes on my care. I never have to repeat my situation
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Staff is very nice. Wait times can be long. But once you are seen they do not rush and take their time. All my questions were always answered before leaving. And all Instructions were clear. Also received printed instructions. And out of state pharmacies were used To get me the best prices.
Fremont

Dr. G [Grosskinsky] is hard to work with. Sometime he would be super helpful and insightful. Other times he would be harsh in his explanations and bedside manner. He shared his opinions and that last straw we decided not to work with him any longer. ... They [Kaiser] missed an ectopic pregnancy that they thought was a miscarriage and I ended up having to have the tube removed.
They [Kaiser] missed an ectopic pregnancy that they thought was a miscarriage and I ended up having to have the tube removed. ... They are very busy and you don’t see the same dr all the way through. It gets frustrating and doesn’t feel consistent. After over three years of doing treatment there some dr. Still didn’t recognize me ... We started with clinic and after a failed iui resulting in a missed ectopic we went on the injectables
How was your experience with Clemens Grosskinsky at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. G is hard to work with. Sometime he would be super helpful and insightful. Other times he would be harsh in his explanations and bedside manner. He shared his opinions and that last straw we decided not to work with him any longer.
Have a hard shell and ask a lot of question. Be prepared for harsh answers.
At kaiser they didn’t make me feel like a patient. I felt rushed in and out of the office.
They worked with me for making the schedule I wanted. We started with clinic and after a failed iui resulting in a missed ectopic we went on the injectables.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
We had 50% coverage so in the beginning our first few treatments were around $500 for clomid and iui. We then did injections and iui which became more costly at $3000. They seemed reasonable at the time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
They missed an ectopic pregnancy that they thought was a miscarriage and I ended up having to have the tube removed. I also had an issue of medication being order without the explanations for why.
Fremont

Dr. Tan spent a lot of time with me and my husband, going over a lot of information and answering all of our questions. He was very caring and sympathetic towards our situation....Dr. Tan was an excellent communicator, extremely thorough, and passionate about his work. He always took the time to answer our questions. We never felt rushed at every appointment....Because of diminished ovarian reserve, we were prescribed Fallustum and Menopur.
This clinic [Kaiser Permanente] provides many appointment options and conducts everything in a timely manner. They treated us with respect and care. They also respected our confidentiality while also being caring and supportive. The first come, first serve option for morning appointments was really nice because I would get there early and be seen by the doctor faster.... We always felt cared for and our emails/phone calls were always returned with a detailed reply.
How was your experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Tan was an excellent communicator, extremely thorough, and passionate about his work. He always took the time to answer our questions. We never felt rushed at every appointment. He was honest and objective, but also compassionate.
Ask as many questions as you need to.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
This clinic provides many appointment options and conducts everything in a timely manner. They treated us with respect and care. They also respected our confidentiality while also being caring and supportive. The first come, first serve option for morning appointments was really nice because I would get there early and be seen by the doctor faster.
It was very expensive.
Describe Orkun Tan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Not sure
Fremont

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Infertility is such a personal, isolating, difficult struggle, but Dr. Proctor really understood me and he “spoke my language.” He put my options into terms that made the most sense to me and for my specific situation. ...Dr. Proctor really “spoke my language.” He understood where I was coming from and gave me choices (in a way that directly applied to me) on how to proceed. Throughout the entire process, I always felt like he “got me” and was my advocate. I have nothing but positive things to say about Dr. Proctor.
I have nothing but excellent things to say about Dr. Proctor and the nurses at Kaiser Fremont. Everyone was honest, compassionate, and incredibly helpful....Dr. Proctor said to me, “What would be worse—not getting pregnant with this cycle of IVF or getting pregnant with twins.” I decided that I needed to get pregnant that cycle, I chose to transfer 2 embryos, and I got pregnant with twins.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Infertility is such a personal, isolating, difficult struggle, but Dr. Proctor really understood me and he “spoke my language.” He put my options into terms that made the most sense to me and for my specific situation. He was amazing!
Trust him. He knows what he’s talking about and he will advise you in your best interests.
Excellent
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I had a very positive experience in this very difficult situation. I have nothing but excellent things to say about Dr. Proctor and the nurses at Kaiser Fremont. Everyone was honest, compassionate, and incredibly helpful.

2013 - 2014
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Proctor was very responsive. Even when I got a second opinion outside of Kaiser or cycled outside, he was willing to run whatever tests and suggestions the other doctors provided. Whenever I had a cycle outside of Kaiser and I asked him to run the beta so my insurance would cover it, he personally called me with the results.
Both cycles were high dose antagonist protocols. One detriment of Kaiser is that you work with their cycle, not yours...The wait is insane. I have heard that billing can be funky for non-Kaiser patients. (Yes, you absolutely can go here and not be a Kaiser patient....One nurse could be negative, but overall they were very informed. Whenever I called or emailed with a question, they answered promptly. When I received my medical records from them, they logged every email or call.
2013 - 2014
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Worth the wait? (Last time I heard it was 4-6 months to cycle). Very possibly.
Even though there was a wait to get in, people promptly returned emails and calls.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Lonnie)
Cost with ICSI was probably around $11000-12000
Fremont

$13,200 for IVF with ICSI. Medications about $3,000 additional...Kaiser is big business, so they have a ton of resources and people and information. I liked this approach after being turned away from a small, boutique RE office...Dr. Proctor is personable and kind, but not overly so...Dr. Proctor listened. He was our second RE and let us tell our full story from start to finish. We are a very severe male factor infertility couple, so Dr. Proctor relied heavily on another male specialist to give the "ok." Once that was cleared up, we moved right ahead. Dr. Proctor was responsive, clear and exhibited no judgment or personal bias in any way.
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Come armed with information and ask the questions you need. He may not solicit the information from you.
Dr. Proctor is personable and kind, but not overly so.
IVF with ICSI. We debated about using ICSI, but Dr. Proctor said this was absolutely paramount in our situation. Our IVF cycle is currently in progress.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
$13,200 for IVF with ICSI. Medications about $3,000 additional.

1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Very professional yet friendly. He [Dr. Jon Proctor] was a very busy doctor but I never felt rushed with him. He was quick with all appointments and procedures, but thorough. He was amazing at getting back to any questions via email; he was very prompt and fully answered the multiple questions I had...Don’t hesitate to email him with questions.
[Kaiser Permanente NorCal is a] Very busy clinic but well organized and clean. I was initially scheduled for my consultation with another doctor but was told last minute that it was actually Dr. Proctor. It worked out at the end with him being the doctor but I was given no warning about the switch...I saw many nurses. They were all friendly but i never really got to know them. They were helpful on the phone if I called with a question.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Very professional yet friendly. He was a very busy doctor but I never felt rushed with him. He was quick with all appointments and procedures, but thorough. He was amazing at getting back to any questions via email; he was very prompt and fully answered the multiple questions I had.
Don’t hesitate to email him with questions.
Very quick but thorough
He seemed to generally suggest that women under 32 or so should have a single transfer.

IUI, 1 IVF
PCOS, Unexplained
She [Dr. Farah-Eways] told me to always call or email her with any questions. when i did, she told me i should be calling the ivf nurses.
They are they typical kaiser robots collecting a paycheck. they dont care about you either. they lack compassion.
IUI, 1 IVF
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
she told me to always call or email her with any questions. when i did, she told me i should be calling the ivf nurses. she is all bait and switch. if she thinks she has a patient that has a better chance at being successful and making her stats better then she will take your spot and give it to someone else.
stay away from her. she is poison. she will promise the world and then lie. she lacks compassion and is always in a rush. she is only worried about her own stats. she does not care about you, her ivf calendar is always full.
She is a total bait and switch md. she promised the world and then did nothing but critiscize. she promised she would get me in to her next cycle and then lied and said she never said that. she also wanted to take my spot on her calendar and give it to another patient.
they are they typical kaiser robots collecting a paycheck. they dont care about you either. they lack compassion.
$17k not including meds or pgs