Kaiser Permanente NorCal

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
39141 Civic Center Driv
San Ramon, CA 94583
925-244-7400
1263 East Arques Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94085
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kaiser Permanente NorCal to a friend?
There is a team of providers all working together, so you are likely to see different doctors for different visits. The benefit of this is they can usually get me into clinic when I need to but the challenge is getting used to interacting with different groups of people.... I interacted with a nursing team [Kaiser Nor Cal] over the phone that was really helpful with setting appointments, getting my lab work ordered and updating me on test results that I couldn't see online or didn't understand. I also worked with a second nursing team at my appointments who were always really helpful.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Preston Nelson at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Nelson has done a great job spending time to explain my test results and what they mean and make himself available to answer questions.
I interacted with a nursing team over the phone that was really helpful with setting appointments, getting my lab work ordered and updating me on test results that I couldn't see online or didn't understand. I also worked with a second nursing team at my appointments who were always really helpful.
How was your experience with Preston Nelson at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
When I first met Dr. Nelson, we had a lengthy appointment to go over all of my lab results and talk through next steps. It was a lot to absorb since I was just starting this process. He took time to answer all the questions my husband and I had at the time and really provided a lot of information. He was super attentive, thoughtful and a good listener. However, I realized later that when I left, I really wasn't sure how to move forward. He talked through all the benefits of IVF but didn't necessarily recommend that I start that immediately. Should we just keep trying? How soon should I start fertility treatments? At what point do I need to seriously consider or move to IVF, etc? I had a lot of information but really wasn't sure how to move forward. After a couple of months with no success, I expressed this frustration to him and we started putting together a plan. One of the hard parts about this process is never knowing when to start something different. I kept getting pregnant every few months, which gave me hope but the pregnancies didn't last. Once I expressed all of this to Dr. Nelson, he was really helpful in starting to put a plan together, which included beginning to take medication and then a few months later moving to IUI. Kaiser has a team of fertility doctors all working together. Every month I would put a plan together with Dr. Nelson but wouldn't see him for my visits; my baseline appointments, my check ups just before ovulation and IUI were all with other doctors. I would then have a phone appointment with Dr. Nelson around the time by period was due to talk next steps and a potential plan for the next cycle. At first the interaction with all of the other doctors was a little challenging, this is hard and emotional and it was difficult for me to share some of this with a small group of physicians, even though everyone was professional and thoughtful. After a couple of cycles, I got more comfortable with the process and the team. Since I have been unsuccessful with IUI, I'm now beginning the process of preparing for IVF. Dr. Nelson used to perform IVF and has a wealth of information to share about the process, what to expect and how my body might react to the medication. Although I have watched videos and read books about the process, his consultation has been comforting and really informative. I feel like I understand the process much better and what I might expect. Overall, Kaiser moves slowly with fertility- I was frustrated by the initial process of getting my lab work done, identifying needed tests and treatments. As a patient you have to be really proactive and articulate what you are looking for and what help you need. Once the process started moving and I got connected with Dr. Nelson, it was important to maintain regular communication and let him know what I was looking for and what questions I had. Once he was aware of what I needed, we mapped out a plan for my care and how best to move forward. Overall, I have been really happy with him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Preston Nelson at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Think about your questions ahead of time (if you can) and be upfront about your needs. He has a ton of information but none of that matters if he doesn't know what you are looking for. He is much more comfortable with phone calls than email but his schedule fills up so its good to get on his calendar regularly.
Describe the protocols Preston Nelson used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
We tried three cycles of ovulation stimulation (one round of clomid and two of letrozole) with timed intercourse. When those didn't work we tried three rounds of IUI- all with letrozole. I initially wasn't ready for IUI so we tried the first process to see if we had any luck and then moved to IUI. I got pregnant my second cycle with IUI but my HCG levels were low (around 10) so I knew the pregnancy wouldn't last. I got my period 3/4 days later.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Preston Nelson at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I have good health insurance coverage for Kaiser so all of my appointments and treatments were covered. I had $10 co-pays for some medications but overall very little out of pocket costs. If I move to IVF- at Kaiser or elsewhere none of those services will be covered.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Prescriptions are given quickly, responsive by email, and clean facilities [Kaiser Sunnyvale]. Weaknesses include feeling like a number, no assignment to a primary nurse so you work with different people all the time, and no 24 hour on call nurse should something come up after hours or on the weekend.... I had a really great experience with the NP Carla Schouten, where she walked me through my baseline ultrasound and my IUI.
European, South Asian
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Prescriptions are given quickly, responsive by email, and clean facilities. Weaknesses include feeling like a number, no assignment to a primary nurse so you work with different people all the time, and no 24 hour on call nurse should something come up after hours or on the weekend.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He was over 30 minutes late to our 60 minute consultation, talked very fast and talked as if I was dumb or ignorant.
I had a really great experience with the NP Carla Schouten, where she walked me through my baseline ultrasound and my IUI. I also had a really negative experience with NP Deborah Pluckhan during my follow up ultrasound where she did not explain the number of follicles or give me my lining measurements. Additionally, she gave me the options to my new treatment and was did not provide me with information to make an informed decision about my care
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I was very disappointed with his time management skills and felt very rushed by how quickly he was taking. He sounded very optimistic for our chances of getting pregnant, but did not describe our options well.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Give yourself extra time to be at the office in case he runs late.l and don’t be afraid to interrupt him to ask questions.
Describe the protocols Isiah Harris used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
I was switched to letrozole as a result of negative side effects from clomid. He then encouraged us to do IUI with ovidrel to trigger ovulation to time the insemination to increase our chances since my cycles are so inconsistent and at times I have anovatory cycles.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
60 minute consultation was covered by our insurance at 50% and cost $170 for us. Ultrasounds were also covered at 50% cost and were $117. IUI was covered st 50% and cost $172.
Sunnyvale
This is a Kaiser clinic, so like any Kaiser service you have to advocate for yourself. You don't see the reproductive endocrinologist more than once or twice and most care is with the nurse practitioners.... Overall, I've had great care with the nurses at Kaiser. One nurse was a little too heavy-handed with the ultrasound wand but lightened up when I asked her to do so. I was unhappy with one when she talked about next steps during my third IUI but I didn't want to think about another cycle or IVF at that point.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
This is a Kaiser clinic, so like any Kaiser service you have to advocate for yourself. You don't see the reproductive endocrinologist more than once or twice and most care is with the nurse practitioners. I think I've seen four of the NPs, Carla, Debbie, Marion and Lori and I've liked them. I'm considering a cheaper option for IVF but I hope if I do go somewhere else that the staff are as good. They are quite aggressive (in my experience) with treatment, but I do have PCOS so it can be hard to stimulate my ovaries. Overall I've been very happy with them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Deborah Ikhena-Abel at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Ikhena-Abel is great about getting back to me. She clearly cares about her patients and I feel like she really wants me to succeed.
Overall, I've had great care with the nurses at Kaiser. One nurse was a little too heavy-handed with the ultrasound wand but lightened up when I asked her to do so. I was unhappy with one when she talked about next steps during my third IUI but I didn't want to think about another cycle or IVF at that point. I understand everyone is different. They've been very understanding throughout my fertility challenges and given me hugs with bad news. They're all very caring and kind.
How was your experience with Deborah Ikhena-Abel at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Overall, Dr. Ikhena-Abel is an excellent doctor. She responds quickly to my questions and is caring about my situation. There have been a few times where she references discussing something in my initial appointment that I don't remember talking about but it was a lot of information in a short amount of time. I was diagnosed with PCOS during my first ultrasound and I wish I could have talked to her more about the implications. It took a while, and a lot of research on my part, to understand what PCOS and anovulation meant for my fertility journey. I appreciate that she and the nurse practitioners changed my protocol each time to try to have a better outcome and that she's been honest with me through each step of the process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Deborah Ikhena-Abel at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Take copious notes at your first consultation!
Describe the protocols Deborah Ikhena-Abel used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
1st cycle: Femara 5 mg. days 3-7, IUI 1, failed 2nd cycle: Femara 7.5 mg. days 3-7, 2 days of Menopur ml. at the end of the cycle to try for more than one egg (cancelled) 3rd cycle: Femara 7.5 mg. days 2-6, Menopur 75 ml. days 3-10; IUI #2 with 3 eggs, failed 4th cycle: Femara 5 mg. days 2-6; Menopur 75 ml. days 3-13; IUI #3 with 1 maybe two eggs 5th cycle: Femara 7.5 mg. days 2-6; Menopur 150 ml days 3-4; Menopur 75 ml days 5-9; Menopur 37.5 ml day 10; IUI #4 pending
Describe the costs associated with your care under Deborah Ikhena-Abel at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I have IUI fertility coverage so my generic medication was $7 and my non-generic was $25. My ultrasounds and IUIs are $20 per appointment. I did not pay anything for my HSG or blood tests.
Deborah Ikhena-Abel
Sunnyvale
Kaiser - San Ramon is a small office with 3 doctor's and quite a few nurses. They're organized and efficient, which I like. I do think the clinic could use a few more doctor's because I think the doctor's that are there are overworked....The nursing staff is excellent. They're compassionate and organized. They make the schedule work for you, even if they're busy because they know how important a well timed treatment plan is.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Tan has good bedside manner. He is the only doctor that does IVF cycles at this clinic so he is very busy. He still knew my daughter's name and some of my medical background so that was impressive. He is easy to talk to.
How was your experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I had a good experience with Dr. Tan. He performed my most recent IUI. I only had 1 follicle so I knew the chances were slim, but he still made me feel good about it. We discussed my potential IVF protocol as well. He also did my saline ultrasound and my mock transfer which all went well.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I would advise them that the only way you'll see him is if you're doing IVF or potentially doing IVF, as he pretty much only does IVF cycles. I would suggest they go in armed with questions.
Describe the protocols Orkun Tan used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
In 2015 when I was receiving treatment I saw Dr. Tan on my follow up ultrasound after 5 days of 50 mg clomid. I didn't have any growing follicles so he suggested stair stepping me to 100 mg clomid and when I went back after that I had a ton of follicles. I was pleased he didn't give up and kept my cycle going, because that cycle was successful!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
My infertility coverage is excellent for IUI's. I only pay a $10 deductible for IUI, ultrasound's, hsg, saline ultrasound, etc. and my meds are covered as well. However, if I move onto IVF everything is out of pocket.
Describe Orkun Tan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
He's for eSET. Kaiser does not agree with multiple embryo transfers.
San Ramon
Kaiser - San Ramon is a good clinic. I think they could use a few more doctor's because the doctor's seem a bit overworked but all in all I would highly recommend it. It's in a convenient location and the hours work well for people's schedules. I would suggest they open on Sunday's so patient's IUI's aren't limited to only Monday-Saturday.... The nursing staff is excellent! They're on top of their stuff and very organized. They've never made a mistake with my paperwork or results.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tracey Telles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Telles is so sympathetic of your situation and she really makes you feel like this could work. She changes up the protocol appropriately and likes to try new things before giving up.
How was your experience with Tracey Telles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Telles is excellent. She doesn't work many hours though because she has 2 young kids at home, so as a patient at Kaiser - San Ramon you don't see her that often. She is very sympathetic though and changes the course of action for a successful outcome. I was feeling defeated after 5 failed IUI's and she said she still thought it could work and that IVF is not the only answer. It was reassuring and made me feel better. She is easy to talk to.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tracey Telles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I would suggest they don't get too attached to her because they'll end up seeing other doctors at this clinic. But that she is excellent and follow her advice.
Describe the protocols Tracey Telles used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
Tracy performed two of my IUI's. One IUI cycle the donor sperm count was low but she still made me feel good about that cycle. It did not work. She suggested for the next cycle doing two injections of gonal-f again, but tapering down to one injection after 3 days so that I don't produce too many follicles. We will be using her protocol on my next IUI.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tracey Telles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I pay a $10 deductive for IUI's, ultrasounds, HSG, Saline ultrasound's, etc. I only pay $25 for injectables medications, and my blood work is free. My infertility coverage is great until I move onto IVF, and then everything is out of pocket.
Describe Tracey Telles's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
She believes in eSET. Kaiser does not suggest multiple embryo transfers.
Tracey Telles
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
I go to the Kaiser infertility clinic in San Ramon. It's a smaller office and there are only 3 doctor's. I think the doctor's are overworked, which is one of the clinic's weaknesses. I think things could be run more efficiently if there were a couple more doctor's.... The nursing staff is excellent. They're on top of their stuff and get back to voicemails very quickly. They're helpful and informative!... I have insurance through Kaiser where I only pay a $10 deductive for IUI's
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I go to the Kaiser infertility clinic in San Ramon. It's a smaller office and there are only 3 doctor's. I think the doctor's are overworked, which is one of the clinic's weaknesses. I think things could be run more efficiently if there were a couple more doctor's. I also hate that you are either an IUI patient or IVF patient. You can convert an IUI cycle to IVF should there be too many follicles, and only one doctor does IVF. This clinic has a lot of strength's too though. The nurses keep the place organized and I feel like they really care. I believe they have a good success rate too.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Clemens Grosskinsky at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Grosskinsky has very good bedside manner and he definitely remembers details about me, my fertility history, and my family which makes me feel like a human. However, there are times when I think he could be a little more thorough in my treatment.
How was your experience with Clemens Grosskinsky at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Grosskinsky is a good doctor. He's getting close to retirement so I don't think he has the same passion and drive that he used to, but he's still aggressive and obviously wants the best for his patients. I do feel like I had to be my own advocate at times and wish he had been a little more thorough in my treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Clemens Grosskinsky at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Be your own advocate! Do your own research and suggest new things to try.
Describe the protocols Clemens Grosskinsky used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
I have done IUI's with donor sperm. Dr. Grosskinsky did not think a natural cycle would be beneficial but I did one back in 2015 that didn't work. We then did clomid and I produced a lot of follicles and that cycle worked. I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter. We're trying for number 2 and I've done 6 failed IUI's. We've tried natural, clomid, combo cycle (clomid + injectables), and injectables. We've added in ganirelix to help with the timing, and all negative. Most of my IUI's have been 36 hours post trigger shot, so I'm thinking about trying a back-to-back IUI next to help with timing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Clemens Grosskinsky at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I have insurance through Kaiser where I only pay a $10 deductive for IUI's, ultrasound's, etc. Bloodwork is free. I only pay $25 for injectables, and $10 for trigger shot or oral drugs. My insurance is great until I move onto IVF, and then everything is out of pocket, including medications. IVF will be about 14k with only a fresh transfer, and another 4k for medications.
Describe Clemens Grosskinsky's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I have not done IVF yet but I know Kaiser is very against multiples.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
For me it [Kaiser Permanente-Fremont] is very convienent , all of the labs, radiology etc are located close to each other and since it is all Kaiser the billing is also very centralized. This office is very busy, not that I see a lot of patients when I go, but after referral my initial consult was scheduled over a month later. We booked IVF and were scheduled for 4.5 months later. In review: I really love the convience of everything being connected, love the doctors and staff, but it was a very long wait to do every step because they are so booked.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
For me it is very convienent , all of the labs, radiology etc are located close to each other and since it is all Kaiser the billing is also very centralized. This office is very busy, not that I see a lot of patients when I go, but after referral my initial consult was scheduled over a month later. We booked IVF and were scheduled for 4.5 months later. In review: I really love the convience of everything being connected, love the doctors and staff, but it was a very long wait to do every step because they are so booked.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Lots of references about my particular situation and history. He took a lot of time to review and discuss my history and what he has seen in similar patients. He is a great balance of matter of fact stats and how sometimes the human factor is even more telling of what the possible outcome will be.
So far everyone has been really helpful, knowledgeable and very good communicators.
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He is very straight forward which I like, always knew me & my history when I arrived. Sort of surprising with so many patients. I’ve seen him over the course of 4 years with a 3 year gap and he is exactly the same now as when I saw him 4 years ago. Great doctor, straight forward and very knowledgeable. It’s a good fit for my personality, I don’t need sympathy - just the facts please.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Be patient, they are booked out for months. If you are in a hurry, I would not recommend.
Describe the protocols Jon Proctor used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
Have not started medication yet. I fully trust he will develop the correct protocol. We did a HSG, saw tubes are blocked and decided to skip IUI and go directly to IVF right there in radiology.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Fresh transfer cycle with ICSI and assisted hatching. $14000 HSG $400 Saline sono $400
Describe Jon Proctor's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
He suggests 1, except for my age allows for 2. I agree with him.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
All of the nurses [Kaiser Permanente NorCal- Sunnyvale] I encountered were very helpful, professional, and knowledgeable. One of them even went out of her way to ensure I got a call back from the Fremont clinic, and followed up with me later.... The doctors always seem to be running behind. I would plan on being there longer than you expect. If you are not meeting with a doctor, the appointments are much more timely. The staff is friendly and helpful. The clinic is clean and has up to date technology.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Eways is very warm and welcoming. She takes time to build rapport with her patients. I felt like she was an old friend I was catching up with by the end of our first meeting.
All of the nurses I encountered were very helpful, professional, and knowledgeable. One of them even went out of her way to ensure I got a call back from the Fremont clinic, and followed up with me later.
How was your experience with Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Eways is very professional and personable. She takes the time to explain everything in detail. I did not feel like she was rushing me out to get to her next appointment. I have my first fresh cycle IVF planned for next month. She did a hysteroscopy to remove a polyp 2 months ago, which went smoothly. She made me feel safe and taken care of. Great bedside manner. My only criticism is that I had a phone appointment schedule with her once and she called me 40 minutes after our scheduled time. In her message, she stated that she usually calls within 2 hours of the scheduled time. Nobody in her office told me there was a timeframe, so I was unable to take the call. We were able to connect later that day, however.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
She is great, but her schedule is packed and you have to wait several months for treatments.
Describe the protocols Lisa Farah-Eways used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
I have not yet started my treatment protocol yet. No results yet.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
About $500 for HSG, about $1000 for Hysteroscopy, $13,200 to book fresh cycle IVF
Describe Lisa Farah-Eways's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
She mentioned that she prefers eSET, since there is higher risk for complication throughout the pregnancy with multiples.
Male Factor, Other
It was efficient, but busy! They recommended I get there early and as long as I did the wait wasn’t bad at all.... They [Kaiser Permanente NorCal] were also very responsive to any questions or immediate needs. Weaknesses: the clinic is very busy which makes appointments feel rushed at times. Wait times can be quite long.... They [nurses] were always compassionate and helpful. No negative experiences at all.
Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Strengths: knowledge of clinicians and success rates are excellent. Can’t argue with miracle results! They were also very responsive to any questions or immediate needs. Weaknesses: the clinic is very busy which makes appointments feel rushed at times. Wait times can be quite long. Also the ohlone kaiser pharmacy the clinic works with is awful. I switched to Walgreens discorx and had a much better experience AND my coverage was maintained even though it was Walgreens and not kaiser.
Dr. Proctor took a personal interest in our journey and always made us feel important and cared for.
They were always compassionate and helpful. No negative experiences at all.
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Proctor was knowledgeable, compassionate and very responsive whenever I contacted him. He coordinated well with my husband’s male factor infertility specialist (Dr. Turek). Dr. Turek is picky about providers that he will coordinate with and he was happy to work with Dr. Proctor and his team. His faith in Dr. Proctor speaks volumes.
Appointments are quick because of the volume at the clinic. Come prepared with questions and do not expect long conversations. Dr.Proctor is very knowledgeable and responsive but does not have all the time in the world to sit and talk at every appointment.
We used a standard stimulation protocol (follistim, Menopur, ganirelix). I was allergic to follistim and dr proctor was very responsive and quickly switched me to gonal-f. I had an excellent response and 30 eggs were retrieved (25 nature). My husband has severe male factor infertility causing only 4 eggs to fertilize normally. Of the 4 embryos at day 1, 3 made it to freeze (we had to do a frozen cycle because my husband’s Soren retrieval surgery occurred weeks after my egg retrieval due to his doctors schedule). We transferred one embryo in December 2017 and I am now 15 weeks pregnant with a baby girl and we have two more high quality embryos on ice for later.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
We had 50% coverage for one cycle, so the IVF cycle cost $6500 (without medications, including ICSI but no PGS). Our FET was full price and cost $4000 without medications m. However, since we did eset, we would get additional transfers of single embryos for free until a live birth.
Dr. proctor explained the risks and benefits of each thoroughly. Because I have no known fertility issues and we wanted to try and avoid multiples, we went with eset, which resulted in my current pregnancy (1st FET was a success).
Fremont
This clinic [Kaiser Permanente NorCal] is very convenient for me in Oakland. The building is a little older, but the facilities are fine. It is Kaiser so there is a bit of a bureaucracy with dealing with check-in and costs, but it is all very manageable. I like Kaiser because it is all integrated and I can email with the doctors and staff.... There are 2-3 nurses that I see regularly at the clinic. At my first IUI they were very helpful and informative about the whole process. They didn't mind when I took photos of the vial and they commented warmly about my lucky socks.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
This clinic is very convenient for me in Oakland. The building is a little older, but the facilities are fine. It is Kaiser so there is a bit of a bureaucracy with dealing with check-in and costs, but it is all very manageable. I like Kaiser because it is all integrated and I can email with the doctors and staff.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janie Hirata at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Hirata and her staff were always friendly and personable when I went in for treatments, either consultation, ultrasounds, or IUIs. It is Kaiser, so they do run you through the process of a big medical system, but I have been with Kaiser for many years so that is par for the course. Once you get through the bureaucracy, the staff are great, and even dressed up for Halloween!
There are 2-3 nurses that I see regularly at the clinic. At my first IUI they were very helpful and informative about the whole process. They didn't mind when I took photos of the vial and they commented warmly about my lucky socks. Because I have had multiple IUIS now, it is more of an in and an out, partly because that is my approach to this too.
How was your experience with Janie Hirata at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
She is down to earth and pragmatic. She has a sense of humor and is blunt. Being that I'm over 40, the news on fertility rates isn't great and she was always very honest about that. But I am not sold on IVF so she was willing to work with my for more IUIs that others may endure. She listened to my concerns, hopes and fears.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janie Hirata at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
She is down to earth and has heard it all so don't be afraid to ask any questions you have.
Describe the protocols Janie Hirata used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
I did 3 natural IUIs with frozen sperm, using an at home OPK test. Then I had 3 IUIs with Letrozole during day 3-7, with an Ovedrel trigger shot for one and an at home OPK for the other. I had to have ultrasounds before the Letrozole and then before the trigger shot. Then I took 2 months off and am doing Letrozole with the Ovedrel trigger. I will have my 6th IUI tomorrow.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janie Hirata at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
My insurance covered half of the costs for the IUIs. I think it was about $150 for the IUI and $120 for the ultrasounds. The Letrozole was very cheap, $4, but the Ovedrel was about $100.
Describe Janie Hirata's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
no comment
Oakland
We had different nurses when we visit [Kaiser Permanente North California]. Some worked there for a while some are new to the job. Some are very short when answering questions, some are very warm. Most of the time, they are willing to answer our questions, and will try to make us feel comfortable. One of the things that I like about them, is that they always wants us to think positive and be happy.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The clinic is clean and they have all the supplies needed during my treatments. They have inviting waiting room, and very accommodating staff. The rooms are organized and directions are very clear.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He was understanding and very direct in his explanations. He is soft spoken and made us feel comfortable all the time. He will call us back as soon as he can and will stay on the phone until he's sure that he answered all our questions. He never rushed our appointments. He was honest and we felt like we gained another friend. He responds to email promptly.
We had different nurses when we visit. Some worked there for a while some are new to the job. Some are very short when answering questions, some are very warm. Most of the time, they are willing to answer our questions, and will try to make us feel comfortable. One of the things that I like about them, is that they always wants us to think positive and be happy.
How was your experience with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Huang is a compassionate doctor. He knows our names and he knows our history every time we visit him. He doesn't need to go back to the computer to remind him what treatments we had. If another nurse practitioner or doctor will see us, he will communicate to them to let them know where we are in the process. I will never forget the time when I was so distress in my email because of a negative result, he immediately called me to follow up and explain our next steps and answered all our questions. He was giving us different options without being pushy. He is very personable and we felt that we gained another friend.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Be trustful because he will be honest with your situation.
Describe the protocols Ivan Huang used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
He put us on Clomid with IUI for 3 cycles then Letrozole with IUI for 3 cycles. Unfortunately, all were unsuccessful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
We are lucky that most of the treatment fees are covered by our insurance. We only need to pay the copay for a very reasonable price.
San Francisco
The clinic, being Kaiser, has its limitations including the level of patient education you receive, the inflexibility around being on the pill in preparation for the scheduled cycles, and the feeling that I was being "shuffled through." I once received an email from a nurse addressing me by someone else's name..... Our doctor and the head embryologist explained what happened very thoroughly and patiently. We were offered a sympathetic "these things happen" but they did not claim responsibility nor did they offer a free cycle.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The clinic, being Kaiser, has its limitations including the level of patient education you receive, the inflexibility around being on the pill in preparation for the scheduled cycles, and the feeling that I was being "shuffled through." I once received an email from a nurse addressing me by someone else's name. The substance of the email was appropriate to me but it was very much a "copy paste" scenario. I could deal with all of this though until we encountered some issues with the embryology lab that have me looking into other clinics. In short, we lost one high quality PGS normal embryo because, as we were told, there was a very rare instance when the embryologist was unable to remove all of the oil from the embryo before freezing, rendering it unlikely to thaw successfully. Our doctor and the head embryologist explained what happened very thoroughly and patiently. We were offered a sympathetic "these things happen" but they did not claim responsibility nor did they offer a free cycle. I did another retrieval and our next PGS normal embryo had to be thawed, re-biopsied, and refrozen because the first biopsy came back as "No DNA present." I don't know where the breakdown occurred this second time (whether at Kaiser or the genetic testing lab) but it's enough of a question mark that I have trouble trusting the Kaiser lab. We will likely have further conversations with Kaiser.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Irene Moy at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Moy always tried to remember details about us and made conversation during the routine appointments. She has a great sense of humor and attitude and I really felt that she was rooting for us. During some more difficult news, she called us or made time for a phone call and answered all of our questions. Even when she had a cold.
Nursing staff were good. It would have been nice to have a designated nurse/coordinator throughout the process but instead it was whoever called back. That worked fine. They were friendly, knowledgeable, and helped answer my questions. The nurses during the actual retrieval were also friendly, some seemed new. Getting an IV needle in was difficult during all three retrievals.
How was your experience with Irene Moy at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I really love Dr Moy. We got to know each other quite well over three retrievals and the monitoring appts and phone calls and emails that surround it. She was our point person during all of it and was readily available for our questions. I really felt like she was rooting for us and we had many phone calls to hear news, discuss next steps, or answer questions. When issues arose, she reached out to the labs to understand what happened on our behalf and I do feel she went to bat for us as best she could. She was always good humored, patient, and understanding. There were times when I would have liked more information about the protocols and medications, and how/why she decided on the changes that she did. Overall though, I had a wonderful experience with Dr Moy. It's the limitation of Kaiser that were ultimately disappointing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Irene Moy at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
If you have questions during an appointment, ask them quickly. She will make time to answer your questions but she does seem to be in a rush. She's matter of fact and to the point which we appreciated.
Describe the protocols Irene Moy used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
All three retrieval protocols included Follistim, Menopur, and Ganirelix. The second two added Omnitrope and included a dual trigger which appeared to help the number and maturity of eggs retrieved. As with all Kaiser protocols, I was on the pill for a good portion of time prior to and after stimulation and retrievals.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Irene Moy at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Retreival: $9,305; ICSI: $1,900; Biopsy for PGS:$3,00; FET: $2,365 (unused credit); ~$8k in meds for each round
Describe Irene Moy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
While we never got to the transfer stage, Dr Moy recommended transferring only one PGS tested normal embryo or more than one only if they hadn't been tested bc of risks of carrying multiples.
Fremont
The front office staff [Kaiser NorCal] is amazing. The team is professional and patient. They swiftly get me checked in and ready for my appointment. Some patients attended the appointment with their baby and the staff would naturally congratulate them, but it stung a little bit. It felt inconsiderate for the staff to celebrate a baby in the wait room around patients who are there because we cannot get pregnant. Maybe the can have blank cards at hand saying: congratulations! Instead of talking about the baby’s arrival in front of patients.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The front office staff is amazing. The team is professional and patient. They swiftly get me checked in and ready for my appointment. Some patients attended the appointment with their baby and the staff would naturally congratulate them, but it stung a little bit. It felt inconsiderate for the staff to celebrate a baby in the wait room around patients who are there because we cannot get pregnant. Maybe the can have blank cards at hand saying: congratulations! Instead of talking about the baby’s arrival in front of patients.
Dr. Harris has a warm personality. He always greets me with a smile and listens to my questions/concerns.
Three different Nurse Practitioners did my IUIs. It wasn’t ideal, however, between managing both our work schedules and the NP’s availability, we had to work with what was available to us. Before, I was very receptive about who I would book my appointments with. Now, I am happy to take an appointment that works with our schedules and gets me pregnant! :)
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Harris has great bedside manners. I can trust him because he gives me all the information I need and warns me about risks. For example, he warned me that I am at risk for OHSS and confidently told me he would closely manage my medication to prevent OHSS as much as possible.
Dr. Harris is friendly, approachable, knowledgeable, and funny. I can ask him any question and he will promptly have an answer. I can book a consultation, request a phone call, or my personal favorite: email through kp.org. He answers within 1 working day and makes notes for his team (in case they have to follow-up with me).
I was diagnosed with PCOS. My husband was diagnosed with non-obstructive azoospermi (NOA). We knew we’d be using donor sperm and Dr. Harris said we could try IUI cycles or IVF ICSI. We are paying out of pocket so we opted for IUI. We knew the chances were slim (5-8%), but we had to try before seriously considering IVF ICSI. Before starting the IUI cycles, Dr. Harris and his team of Nurse Practitioners helped regular my thyroid hormone by taking Levothroid once a day. It took about 3 months to get my thyroid under control. Each IUI cycle consisted of: Femara 3 times a day for 5 days, vaginal scan to see if I was ovulating soon (periods are irregular), trigger shot in my belly (Ovidrel). All of this was painless and mildly uncomfortable. The vaginal scans and inseminations are uncomfortable. All 3 IUI resulted in negative pregnancy tests. We decided to move forward and try IVF ICSI. We have our date booked for January 6, 2019 and we’re looking forward to be under Dr. Hariss’ care.
For the 3 IUI cycles we spent about $3,000 (including medication: insurance covered 50%). Plus, another $4000 for 3 vials of donor sperm. Currently we placed a deposit for $13,000 for IVF ICSI (cost of medications not included).
Describe Isiah Harris's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
This question isn’t applicable because we haven’t done IVF, but Dr. Harris did stress to me that he wants to do a single embryo transfer. We’re okay with that decision because we want to do what will be most safe for myself and the baby.
Fremont
They [nurses at Kaiser] were amazing. These are the people who usually saw me for ultrasounds and my iui procedures and they were so amazing I actually go back and visit now. They comminuted great and we’re 100% on board with my treatments plan...The clinic is amazing honestly I never waited longer than 5 minutes to be seen. Just be very diligent on what you want and need and they will be on board! Thy really listen to the patient and their needs and will give good advice but also move forward with whatever plan makes you most comfortable
European, South Asian, Latino
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
He answered my emails that seemed ridiculous sometimes after hours and on he weekends and listened o all my concerns as crazy as they may have seemed
They were amazing. These are the people who usually saw me for ultrasounds and my iui procedures and they were so amazing I actually go back and visit now. They comminuted great and we’re 100% on board with my treatments plan
How was your experience with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He was amazing honestly I have no complaints. This clinic gave me my rainbow twins and that’s exactly what I wanted. They supported my decision to be a mom even though I ended up doing it alone and they supported me every step of the way.
Definitely don’t hesitate to go as big as you feel you want. Unfortunately fertility isn’t always covered and it can be expensive. This team went for it when I asked for a higher chance of success faster and never questioned m.
I had a natural cycle first with iui, then 2.5mg femara which resulted in no ovulation, we changed to 5mg for 3 days and it resulted in early ovulation unfortunately and we missed the window, then he changed to 7.5mg and this resulted in a negative pregnancy test after iui so he changed protocol to 5mg over 5 days rather than 3 and I chose to have 2 iui procedures rather than 1 and it resulted in my now 11 week old twins.
For me everything was covered under my insurance I was very lucky. But I was told without my insurance coverage the cost of the iui would have only been about 300$ and each ultrasound may have been maybe 100$ I was not told exact amount. I did have to pay for donor sperm though.
Describe Ivan Huang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
San Francisco
They [staff at Kasier-San Francisco] saw how distraught I was about my fertility journey and they paired me with a "chronic pain therapist" which was caring. Weaknesses - It's REALLY, EXTREMELY hard to get anyone on the phone which led to multiple breakdowns and tears. When you leave a message, they give one call back. Then you have to call them and leave another message. If you miss another call back, you have to wait another 24 hours until they call you back. If you miss that call.....good luck. It was worrisome how frustrating their phone system is. Also, don't expect dim lighting during your baseline and IUI. VERY bright and feels......exposing.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Strengths - Since it's Kaiser, everything is done in house. Online communication is easy. Pharmacy is easy. They saw how distraught I was about my fertility journey and they paired me with a "chronic pain therapist" which was caring. Weaknesses - It's REALLY, EXTREMELY hard to get anyone on the phone which led to multiple breakdowns and tears. When you leave a message, they give one call back. Then you have to call them and leave another message. If you miss another call back, you have to wait another 24 hours until they call you back. If you miss that call.....good luck. It was worrisome how frustrating their phone system is. Also, don't expect dim lighting during your baseline and IUI. VERY bright and feels......exposing.
Dr. Huang was gentle and kind, but direct and informative. He allowed me to help make decisions and be an advocate and he was honest when he saw that we needed to take the next steps. It was my job to reach out to him when I was ready to move forward, but when I did, he was always quick to answer and make a plan. I even forgot my meds at home during a vacation, and he made sure I could pick them up at a local Kaiser.
Most were kind, one was on the rougher side. Overall, they were organized.
How was your experience with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He's warm and personable. During our consultation, right before I started to tear up he handed me a tissue with no hesitation. I could tell he knew this is a hard journey. I could always count on him to communicate in a timely manner. I wished that I could have seen him during my baseline appointments and IUIs, but I knew timing was key and he was often booked far in advance.
Set expectations by asking how often you will see him. Not just communicate over the Kaiser portal, but if he will be treating you. I would also ask the if he's willing to prescribe more than just the lowest dose of clomid or letrozole. I found that he was very conservative.
I was young with unexplained, so Dr. Huang was conservative. He told us to try naturally for 6 more months, but I only made it 3 before I asked to try medication. Then we did 3 cycles of Clomid trying naturally for three months, and 3 cycles of Letrozole with 2 IUIs for two months. 1 IUI was cancelled due to early ovulation. No babies produced.
$150 for each ultrasound and IUI, and around $200 for Saline Sono and HSG.
I did not do IVF through Kaiser.
San Francisco
Staff [at Kaiser - Fremont] forgot to give me paperwork required for intake. I faxed and emailed them multiple times but the documents were never received. Staff never told me the timing of my HCG trigger injection and never did an injection training with me. They also failed to call my letrozole prescription in to the pharmacy. Staff told me that for my IUI procedure I could bring my sperm (from a bank) with me at the time of my appointment. I asked multiple times and they all confirmed this was true. I got a call four hours prior to my IUI from the clinic demanding that I drive to their office with the sperm immediately because they apparently want to have it prior to the appointment. I had to abruptly leave work and wait at UPS until it arrived, since Kaiser won't accept sperm bank shipments at their offices. This adds to the cost and stress. When I expressed that I was upset with the last minute stress despite asking multiple times in advance to avoid this situation, staff and Dr. Shen shrugged and said that this always happens the first time so now I will know for next time. Also the number of mobile sperm was not shared with me until after the IUI and they were a subpar number. Dr. Shen insisted that Kaiser do the sperm wash rather than purchase pre-washed IUI sperm, and I feel that the lab must have damaged the sample and that this was bad advice. Dr. Shen told me after my IUI that next month when I wanted to come back the procedure will be better - almost as if she expected it to fail, which was extremely disappointing to hear immediately following and IUI. When the IUI was not successful, she only told me that there is a higher chance of it not working so I should not be surprised. She then asked if I wanted to do the same procedure with no changes. When I asked what we could do differently moving forward, she said there is nothing that can be done differently. Needless to say, this was one of my final interactions with this doctor.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I live in Oakland, so the commute was not ideal for me to Fremont. There is ample parking though so that's good. Staff don't answer phones and I left a message every time I called the office. Staff rarely returned my calls. I was not assigned a nurse or case coordinator so I just had to hope for any of the staff to follow up with me. The lack of communication was abysmal.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Shen did not acknowledge my personal situation or previous diagnosis(es) when telling me my treatment plan. My treatment plan was not a discussion and was not negotiable, and it felt as if she gave the same treatment plan to everyone who works with her. Dr. Shen only referenced statistics of people in my age range rather than specific treatment goals for someone in my unique situation.
Nursing staff were cold and dismissive, similar to Dr. Shen. When Dr. Shen frequently did not communicate steps or instructions in my IUI procedure, they shrugged it off and said that Dr. Shen frequently forgets to tell patients crucial information. I was never able to reach them by phone and at least half of the messages I left were never returned.
How was your experience with Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Shen was cold and clinical, which is fine, but frequently gave incorrect information or neglected to tell me details of my treatment all together. Each appoint,met was rushed and short. I often left with more confusion and questions than when I arrived at each appointment due to Dr. Shen's poor communication. She was not receptive to any of my feedback when sharing previous IUI procedures and experiences and was set on her idea of how to proceed with IUI.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Be prepared to be treated like a number. Be prepared with thorough questions.
Describe the protocols Wen-Hui Shen used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
I did one IUI using letrozole and HCG trigger shot. Dr. Shen did not explain her rationale for this medication regimen even though I had done this previously without any resulting pregnancy. The IUI I completed with Dr. Shen did not result in a pregnancy or an answer to my years of infertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I did not have insurance coverage for my procedure or medications. My HCG shot was around $150.
Describe Wen-Hui Shen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
We did IUI so this is not applicable.
Fremont
We are very lucky to have some fertility coverage through my insurance with Kaiser, so the process of medicated IUI cycles has been very affordable for us. The downsides are you see different nurses, doctors, and that they are only open normal business hours. I know some clinics do monitoring ultrasounds very early which would be great because you have to miss work frequently for these apts due to the hours they are open. If we didn't have the insurance coverage we do through t hem, I think I would already have considered other options/clinics/ maybe have moved on to IVF.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Dr. Nelson is very generous with his time, considerate of your questions, and realistic about expectations. In all our conversations I feel listened to and supported in this difficult journey.
The nursing staff is mostly very helpful, responsive, at times there have been some scheduling conflicts and changes but overall if I had a question they would respond in an appropriate time manner to help me answer it.
How was your experience with Preston Nelson at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Nelson is a wonderful provider, and I've felt very informed and supported by him throughout the process of IUI's and one miscarriage. He has adjusted treatment as needed, and is the right amount of realistic and hopeful.
Unfortunately, many of our contacts are on the phone and because of the nature of scheduling apts around my cycle and schedule I don't often see him for ultrasounds, IUI's.
I have regular, but anovulatory cycles. All treatment is aimed to help me ovulate. Clomid + HCG trigger + IUI x1, negative with short luteal phase Clomid + HCG trigger + IUI + Progesterone x2, negative pregnancy tests Letrozole 5 mg + HCG trigger + IUI + Progesterone, positive pregnancy test ended in miscarriage due to chromosomal abnormality Letrozole 5 mg + HCG trigger + IUI + Progesterone, negative pregnancy test Letrozole 7.5 mg + HCG trigger + IUI + Progesterone, awaiting results
Because our insurance covers medicated IUI's, co pays for each visit were $15 dollars and all medications have been between $10 and $15 as well.
Describe Preston Nelson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Oakland
Kaiser SF was wonderful to us after an awful experience at Kaiser Oakland RE. They always called us back the same day and we were able to get our medicine and lab results quickly. They were wonderful!...Nurse Peters seems competent and confident. She is not as warm and as personable as Dr. Huang...I chose to travel far, past other Kaisers, to work with Dr. Huang because he is extraordinarily kind. His bedside manner is superb. He was always calm, informed, and present with us. He responded to all my emails and calls quickly. I appreciate him so much!
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Christiane Peters)
How was your experience with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Huang is a kind and gentle doctor. I am very glad we went to him for our IUIs. Unfortunately, we have had to move on to IVF due to unexplained infertility. Dr. Huang was very hopeful since we have a lot of eggs and sperm that IUI would work. I am very disappointed that that my eggs were not stimulated more since I could have gotten more eggs than 2 in a cycle. But he is very conservative and errs on the cautious side with minimal drugs.
Do not be afraid to ask him questions, he is very patient and understanding.
I completed 4 IUIs - one with letrozole (2 eggs), one with clomid (1 egg and it thinned my lining), one with letrozole and injectables (1 egg), and one with injectables only (2 eggs). I have a very high number of eggs so they kept saying they were concerned I would overstimulate. It is frustrating I only got 1-2 eggs with this cautiousness, but understand the risks of being too aggressive.
My job covered IUI so I very gratefully only had co-pays. If only IVF was!
N/A (IUI only)
San Francisco
There are also sometimes long waits to be seen [at Kaiser]. For example, IUIs are scheduled at 10am and the last two times, I haven't been seen until 11. All women are prepped at the same time and then have to wait until their turn in the room...[The nurse] She is amazing. She is super comforting, explains everything, and keeps it real. She is great at understanding my individual needs for paperwork, protocol directions, and next steps.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
It's Kaiser. With this comes a lack of education and information, but it's great for all procedures and medications. Just make sure to do your research or ask more questions. Also, there are also sometimes long waits to be seen. For example, IUIs are scheduled at 10am and the last two times, I haven't been seen until 11. All women are prepped at the same time and then have to wait until their turn in the room.
She always addresses my questions, helps address my feelings throughout the process, and makes jokes. She has a great sense of humor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Christianne Peters)
She is amazing. She is super comforting, explains everything, and keeps it real. She is great at understanding my individual needs for paperwork, protocol directions, and next steps. She's also very great at her response time to emails when Dr. Moy is out.
How was your experience with Irene Moy at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Although Dr. Moy is not the primary physician in the clinic for IUIs, she has been my point person thus far. Dr. Moy specializes in IVF and often works in both the SF and Fremont clinic. Other doctors and NPs in the office performed my procedures, but she always responded to my questions immediately and with compassion. For example, I was nervous prior to a sedated HSG (due to a terrible first HSG) and she went above and beyond to reach out to my husband and me to review the whole procedure keeping my concerns in mind. Of course, everything went beautifully after her encouragement. She goes above and beyond.
Dr. Moy doesn't sugar coat treatment. She does deliver it with a sense of humor. I have since met other patients who found that uncomfortable, but personally, I appreciate it. Also, always feel comfortable reaching out to her with anything. She's awesome!
We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. I have completed 3 full rounds of Letrozole (7.5mg) with IUI. We have been unsuccessful thus far, but knew our statistics going in. We are going into injectible IUIs this cycle.
My insurance covers all but $15 copay on most treatments. Because it's Kaiser, I never see a bill except for the copay. Some of my prescriptions are even less! Our quote for IVF is $20,000 because my insurance pays none of it.
San Francisco
Monitoring was done on specific days and in the morning. The lab for blood work was in the next building. We'd do blood work, walk to the clinic, and wait about 20 mins- 1 hour for an ultrasound. Even with an ultrasound appointment. HINT: You can make a lab appointment which they will honor.... Even signing the paperwork and the class on how to do injections was poorly organized and left me feeling unprepared. HINT: I got my medication at the Disco Rex Walgreens in Palo Alto and they gave me a private tutorial on how to do injections. Much better than the nurses at Kaiser.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
You are there to see Dr. Shen. Unfortunately, the rest of the office is not up to her standard! The clinic is functional, not beautiful. It's clean and the lab is right there. This is not a glamorous place, but the job gets done!
Dr. Shen knew my treated my husband and I like we were long time friends. She always had time to answer questions and we felt like she was personally invested in our success.
While Dr. Shen was top notch, the rest of the clinic staff had some drawbacks. I was frustrated many times by the procedures and protocols at the clinic. While they were friendly, I didn't find everyone to be as compassionate as they could be, especially considering this line of work. I remember crying on the phone trying to set up an appointment and they had a policy which wouldn't let me. It felt to me the policy was to see as many people as possible, rather than make relationships with the clients they had. Even signing the paperwork and the class on how to do injections was poorly organized and left me feeling unprepared. HINT: I got my medication at the Disco Rex Walgreens in Palo Alto and they gave me a private tutorial on how to do injections. Much better than the nurses at Kaiser.
How was your experience with Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
We interviewed 4 doctors in total including doctors in Marin and San Francisco. None of them compared to Dr. Shen. She let us make decisions and always offered candid and compassionate advice when we struggled with choices. She was extremely professional and up to date on any new discoveries. Paired with her professionalism was a modesty and humbleness which made working with her easy during a difficult time. I know for a fact that Dr. Shen is the reason I am pregnant now and enjoyed (if that's possible) working with her so much, I considered using her name as our child's middle name!
This process can be so daunting, trust Dr. Shen. She is both professionally knowledgable and down to earth. Choosing her is the one decision we never doubted.
Fremont
[At Kaiser-Fremont] I did a single-embryo transfer from a frozen embryo that was retrieved at another clinic. He was unsure of how to predict success given that the embryo came from elsewhere, but the cycle was ultimately successful...They messed up a billing thing. When I contacted the doctor about it, he said he would let their billing person know, and that she would get back to me. That never happened. I still need to deal with the billing issue. Other than this, and what I have already described, everything was good.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
They messed up a billing thing. When I contacted the doctor about it, he said he would let their billing person know, and that she would get back to me. That never happened. I still need to deal with the billing issue. Other than this, and what I have already described, everything was good. (Much better than my previous clinic!)
Answered all my questions. Had a pleasant demeanor. I didn't wait too long in the waiting area. Doctor was open to my feedback about side effects and made some medication changes as a result.
Things were mostly good with the nurses. Two exceptions, though. One was that they didn't warn me when in the cycle I would get my period. Maybe that should have been obvious to me (?), but I really didn't understand that I was going to get it right then, and it came when I was at the airport headed on a flight. Quite annoying. I wish they would have just explained that to me. The second was that I had a lot of pain injecting into my buttox. I had done these shots before without much pain. They really didn't help me figure out what was going on. They said apply hot, they said apply cold, they said massage. But it was really painful; I was limping around, and it hurt to sit and stand. Then, a friend suggested that the needle might not be the right size for me. That fixed it. But I was really in pain for a while, without help from the nurses (I asked them for help with this more than once).
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He always answered questions, at appointments or by e-mail. He was pleasant, down-to-earth, and realistic. I didn't wait for long in the waiting area. I also didn't feel rushed during appointments. Everything went smoothly. When I experienced some side effects, he was able to adjust the medication. I was very pleased, of course, to get pregnant and have my baby.
I remember signing a form regarding the risks of IVF, and there was a wrong statistic on there. It said that 10% of babies from IVF would have birth defects, and it really scared me. When I contacted the doctor, he said that it was incorrect, and the risk was much lower, but they hadn't changed the wording on the document yet. Jeesh. I hope they have since changed it, but if not, consider this your heads up.
He was open to my preference.
Fremont
Marion [nurse at Kaiser] seemed to be very knowledgeable as she was able to patiently answer all my questions. She was very pleasant during my visits and had a calm demeanor. Although it could have been a more thorough check up if she asked how I was doing physically and emotionally. Since going through these fertility treatments can be frustrating and emotional, it would be nice to be able to see her check in on an emotional level....Since I was already a Kaiser patient, I thought it was the logical step in going to their REI. It was an easy transition since they already had my information and other lab work results. The front desk people were always pleasant as well. I would suggest that if your insurance doesn't cover the expenses from the Kaiser REI, you should also explore other clinics.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I felt he just went through the protocol of my statistics based on my age and the procedures that would be done. It would have been nice if he tapped into how I was doing emotionally through the natural conceiving process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Marion Colombo)
Marion seemed to be very knowledgeable as she was able to patiently answer all my questions. She was very pleasant during my visits and had a calm demeanor. Although it could have been a more thorough check up if she asked how I was doing physically and emotionally. Since going through these fertility treatments can be frustrating and emotional, it would be nice to be able to see her check in on an emotional level.
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I only saw him during my first visit at the initial REI consultation. I felt his communication style was a little awkward as he would throw in jokes that weren't exactly tactful, in short, his bedside manner was less than desirable. He wasn't rude or brash though. I just didn't particularly felt we clicked.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I would go with a different Dr. at the Kaiser REI.
Describe the protocols Mark Nixon used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
The suggested treatment plan was to do three cycles of Chlomid, then two to three cycles of IUI. However, after the first cycle failing, I asked my nurse if I could go straight into IUI. She said yes, which led me to question why I wasn't initially given this option. She just said that based on my age, the Dr. didn't see a need for me to do IUI right away. However, I'm glad I proactively requested an adjustment to my treatment strategy or else I would have "wasted" more time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
So far I've spent about $1,500.
Sunnyvale
Kaiser does not assign you a primary nurse for IUIs or IVF. The IUIs are all done by rotating NPs-- all of whom are competent, kind, and engaging...For IUIs, they don't perform them on Sundays, so they'll do it a little early or late if the ideal time was a Sunday...They also made you pay to reserve your spot... I was surprised that it was the nurse who gave the results; not Dr. Harris...When the nurse called me with my beta, she told me I wasn't pregnant. However, I did have a low positive pregnancy test (17).
European, Middle Eastern
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Kaiser is a well oiled machine. For all fertility workup, it's pretty standardized, meaning they do initial blood work, semen analysis, saline sonogram, HSG, and hysteroscopy regardless of diagnosis (I think). I never felt like diagnostic testing was hard to get or was missed. For IUIs, they don't perform them on Sundays, so they'll do it a little early or late if the ideal time was a Sunday. For IVF, it's a full 7 day/week system. They batch patients as the Dr does every ultrasound and you see him at every visit. Unfortunately, that meant a pretty long wait in between cycles. But, that does mean a ton of face time with your dr and consistent scans. They also made you pay to reserve your spot. This meant we paid almost 6 months before cycling (which was a nice break), but now I wish we had gone somewhere else or paid for IVF while still doing IUIs to not have that long break. We ended up switching clinics simply because we couldn't do another 6 month break before cycling again. If we could have cycled more quickly, we would have stayed with Dr. Harris and Kaiser.
Dr. Harris is warm, friendly, knowledgable, and really partners with you. He shares pieces of his life with you, knows who you are, and asks about partner/life/work.
Kaiser does not assign you a primary nurse for IUIs or IVF. The IUIs are all done by rotating NPs-- all of whom are competent, kind, and engaging. The IVF nurses reinforce what Dr.Harris just told you when he did your ultrasound. I was surprised that it was the nurse who gave the results; not Dr. Harris. Unfortunately, they informed me I was not pregnant (beta 17) and to stop all meds. I now understand that while the chance of sustaining the pregnancy is almost nothing; I was technically pregnant. I wish they would have told me to continue meds and re-test in 2 days (rather than stop and re-test a week later) I'm 99% sure the outcome would have been the same, but I wish they would have given it a shot. And I didn't know enough to push for it.
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Harris is really incredible. He talks very fast, but he is so well versed in the research and gives rationale for why he wanted to do a protocol. He did every monitoring ultrasound during IVF, and would make adjustments as he saw you. He tried to set expectations about how many he expected to retrieve and why he was making adjustments to the protocol. He batches patients so that he can do every ultrasound-- so he'll go from retrieval to ultrasound to transfer to ultrasound all day long. I'm pretty sure he doesn't sleep for 3 weeks at a time. However, he always manages to light up the room with his infectious smile and laughter.
He doesn't recommend lifestyle changes (ie supplements, diet, etc). However, he fully supports you if you want to do them. He knows how out of control this feels and will support you if want to try to find some control. So please be honest with your supplements; he'll give you an honest opinion about when to start/stop them during your cycle.
I did a couple of injectable IUIs where the lead follicle stopped growing with a step-down approach (meaning I started at higher doses and then decreased the dose). Based on this data, he made some adjustments to my IVF protocol. We did the antagonist protocol. We started with 150 follistim/150 menopur and then added in the ganirelix after day 6 or 7 of stims. We increased the dose of one or the other med at each appointment, with my max being 375 for both meds by the end. We did ICSI just as a precaution and I'm glad we did; it just took the guesswork out of it. We expected 12 mature eggs, but only ended up with 8 (this was a huge blow!). 7 fertilized and all 7 were growing well at day 3, so we opted for a day 5 transfer. When we got to transfer, we spoke with Dr. Harris and the embryologist who informed us that we had an early blast and a morula. Both of these were a little behind where they "should" have been. All the rest had already arrested or were so far behind they most likely wouldn't make it. They encouraged us to transfer both despite our terror of twins. He did the transfer and then he has a little dance/ritual he does over all his patients after transfer (waving his hands over your abdomen-- maybe a little prayer?) I loved it; as I really felt he was giving us extra love (even if medically it doesn't make a difference). Unfortunately we did not have anything to freeze and our transfer ended in a chemical pregnancy.
The monitoring could take 10 mins or 3 hours. Since Dr. Harris does all of his own monitoring, he would go from retrieval to ultrasound to transfer to ultrasound. It was great that you always saw your doctor, but it could lead to some very LONG waits. Additionally, you're given a specific time for monitoring, but it's actually first come/first serve. So ignore the time you're given and just show up as early as possible.
Fertility workup, IUIs were all covered under insurance, so very minimal. IVF was completely out of pocket. I believe it was about 12k for IVF + ICSI. Meds were separate and ended up at about 6k.
He favors eSET, but since both of our embryos were a little behind (early blast and morula) he felt that the morula would probably NOT make it, so it was less risky.
6 IUI, IVF
The front desk [at Kaiser - Santa Clara] is very personal and warm. The medical assistants can be kind, but often seem stressed. They can sometimes be rude when you call in for information or to make changes to your appointment. They have made me cry. The nurses are knowledgeable. There are many of them at this clinic. You may get a different nurse for each of your appointments. Each nurse has her own style, and so you will have to adjust according to who you have...
South Asian, Other
6 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The front desk is very personal and warm. The medical assistants can be kind, but often seem stressed. They can sometimes be rude when you call in for information or to make changes to your appointment. They have made me cry. The nurses are knowledgeable. There are many of them at this clinic. You may get a different nurse for each of your appointments. Each nurse has her own style, and so you will have to adjust according to who you have. Dr. Nixon made me very uncomfortable. He talked about his personal life a lot and didn't give me or my husband clear answers. After my initial appointment with him for infertility, I never saw him again. Dr. Harris has been very kind, knowledgeable, and thorough. He has a warm bedside manner. He answers questions promptly via email. I met with him for our initial IVF consult and he performed my saline sonogram and mock transfer. When I begin STIMming, I will see him for every appointment.
Dr. Harris is very warm and has made me feel very comfortable. He responds immediately to emails and answers all of my questions. However, there are times when I'm directed to speak to someone else in Dr. Harris' staff rather than Dr. Harris himself.
The nurses were kind and warm, and I had the genuine feeling that they were "on my side." However, there was a large team of them, and I had different nurses rotating through my different appointments. The nurses didn't know me personally and they didn't seem to communicate among one another. There were times when I had to update nurses on what had happened during my previous cycle, or even my previous appointment (which often was just a few days before).
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I have seen Dr. Harris for our initial consult and for my saline sonogram. At each of those appointments he answered all of my questions thoroughly. He was warm and kind. We have not started STIMming, but I have been informed that once that starts, I will see him for each appointment. He answers his emails promptly and gives me next steps and reassurance when needed.
Ask a lot of questions and have Dr. Harris explain what is happening and what is going to happen to your body. It will save you the research time later and he is thorough and easy to understand.
I did 3 rounds of Femara with Menopur injectables, along with HCG trigger shot and IUI. All 3 cycles resulted in negative pregnancy tests. One cycle was cancelled due to too many follicles and the staff feared that I would have OHSS.
$11, 500 for IVF $1900 for ICSI ~$4000 for medications ~$96 for ultrasounds (out of pocket cost) ~$136 for IUI (out of pocket cost)
Sunnyvale
Overall, I felt I got no guidance from the Kaiser fertility team regarding my treatment. It was all left up to me to ask, "What's do you think about what's happening, should we keep trying this next month or should we try another approach, etc." If I didn't ask these questions, no one followed up with me and I would miss a cycle...I had far more contact with the nursing staff than with Dr. Moy. Most of the nurses were compassionate and kind and I enjoyed my interactions with them.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
My biggest beef was with Kaiser itself. Here's a list of the things I didn't like or felt could be improved: -It's a little thing, but the Kaiser clinic is called the Infertility and Reproductive Endocrinology department. I don't need the reminder that I was having infertility issues; the clinic I switched to (at a different hospital) was called the Center for Reproductive Health. It's a little thing, but really made a difference to me. -For some reason, Kaiser has regular OB patients check-in at the same desk where the fertility patients check in and wait for their appointments. I wasn't overly bothered by this, but it did strike me as very insensitive to have visibly pregnant women standing in line and checking in for appointments in front of women (and men) struggling with fertility issues. -It drove me crazy that almost every single appointment I had scheduled I was seen late. Sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes as long as a half hour. I showed up for an IUI appointment one Saturday a half hour ahead of time because I had been running other errands in the neighborhood, and wasn't seen until nearly an hour after I'd been told my appointment was. I found out later that the timing of when you are seen for an IUI has to do with when the sample from the man was taken or dropped off, but no one ever explained that to me when I had my appointments and all the waiting around with no explanation made a stressful situation worse. -Overall, I felt I got no guidance from the Kaiser fertility team regarding my treatment. It was all left up to me to ask, "What's do you think about what's happening, should we keep trying this next month or should we try another approach, etc." If I didn't ask these questions, no one followed up with me and I would miss a cycle.
I only met with Dr. Moy in person a few times while I was her patient. Once was the meeting to discuss our initial diagnosis and once was when she happened to be on one weekend when I had an IUI. We also spoke on the phone a couple of times, though I felt she did most of the talking and could have listened better.
How was your experience with Irene Moy at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Moy was clearly very knowledgeable about fertility issues but I felt very disconnected from her during the whole process. I saw her fairly regularly over the course of about eight months but didn't feel like I got much guidance from her on what was working, what wasn't, what we should try next, etc.
You will need to be very proactive, and it will be up to you to push for treatments, ask questions, etc.
Since IVF is so expensive, my goal was to start with the least invasive (and least expensive) options first, and then work our way up to IVF only if necessary. We first tried letrozole to try to boost my egg production, coupled with both timed intercourse and IUI . I had mixed responsiveness to the medication, producing anywhere from one or two eggs up to six at the most. We tried two (or three, I can't remember) cycles with injectable medications to boost egg production, coupled with IUI. I had limited responsiveness to the injectables.
I was lucky in that I had insurance that covered up to 50% of my costs (office visits and medications) for procedures up to (but not including) IVF. It was still very expensive. As I recall, with my 50% coverage, office visits were between $50 and $150 for ultrasounds and IUI, and medication was anywhere from about $20 for Letrozole up to the hundreds of dollars for injectable medications.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
The office [Kaiser Fremont] itself is not the best at communicating as you often had to leave messages and get called back and they batch cycle which is frustrating but Dr. shen was amazing and worth the inconvenience for me....You see different nurses each time so I didn't have a point person. The communication system was a bit frustrating because it involved leaving messages and getting called back. The nurses during my procedures were wonderful and they all were very compassionate and helpful.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
It is off the kaiser campus in an office building across the street. The receptionist is great and very sweet. The price structure is clear and communicated really well.
She does all monitoring for the cycle herself and was involved in all aspects of our ivf cycle. She listened to us and answered all of our questions when I came in with 4 pages of them and was patient and kind the whole time.
How was your experience with Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
She managed my cycle beautifully. I was at risk for ohss and was still able to do a fresh transfer and I credit a lot of that to how well she managed my response to the meds, which can be very unpredictable. She was very competant and explained everything to us in detail. The office itself is not the best at communicating as you often had to leave messages and get called back and they batch cycle which is frustrating but Dr. shen was amazing and worth the inconvenience for me.
The batching is worth it because it means she handles all aspects of your care. Even routine ultrasounds with her were much better than with other REs I have seen and she was wonderful throughout all our procedures.
Antagonist protocol, 150 gonalf 75 menopur. I have pcos so we needed the option of a lupron trigger which we used but my ovaries tend to be resistant to stims so we did this higher dose than normal for a pcos patient and stimmed for 12 days.
10k flat fee for ivf and $1190 for icsi.
2013 - 2015
Two of the 3 NPs [at Kaiser Sunnyvale] were wonderful - compassionate, open, empathetic. One was a bit more clinical and the one that told me, without hesitation or apology, to stop taking progesterone when it was discovered that the short-lived pregnancy was ending.... Most of the clinic's support staff - front desk and back desk - were excellent. They were compassionate and caring, offering a cup of water and early check-in when my emotions got the better of me. Even when I often ran late, due to traffic or emotional delay, they accommodated me.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
He was friendly every time, as well as compassionate, never cold or "clinical".
Two of the 3 NPs were wonderful - compassionate, open, empathetic. One was a bit more clinical and the one that told me, without hesitation or apology, to stop taking progesterone when it was discovered that the short-lived pregnancy was ending.
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr Harris always had a smile for me and/or my husband, but was also sympathetic to setbacks and disappointments. He was appropriately physical, like a pat on the hand prior to draining a cyst or polypectomy. He even gave me a [well-received and appreciated] hug when I started crying after learning about an ovarian cyst.
Enjoy his humanity and write down all the info and options he shares with you.
Because of both male factor infertility (high abnormality) and diminished ovarian reserve, we started immediately with IUIs. They were delayed due to an occlusive ovarian cyst, about the size of a large kiwi. It was first treated with birth control, then with 2 different drainings, and finally a cystectomy. The cyst remains. We were told early on that IVF would be more successful, and that using donor eggs would provide still higher chances of success. Due to emotional and financial stress, we decided to try 7 IUIs over 2 years, interspersed with other procedures like a polypectomy and cyst-related procedures.
Our insurance covered 90% of the treatments associated with IUIs, so each cycle was $50-$200, depending on injectables.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
I love Nurse Colombo (and everyone in the office [Kaiser]). I know they see a lot of unhappy people all day as that's the nature of the job, and they always managed to be kind and nice to me even at my worst...There was one instance where I was not informed of a cancelled appointment because my doctor was not in the office that day...I do wish I hadn't done as many IUIs as we did and had gone straight to IVF; however, I don't think that's the fault of the clinic since I think it's standard protocol.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Dr. Harris is an amazing doctor. He always made me feel like he actually cared about my results personally, not that I was just another patient (though I do think he actually cares about all his patients, not just me!). I cried a lot in his office and he was always extremely kind and sympathetic to my situation, and never gave up hope even when I had almost given up myself.
I love Nurse Colombo (and everyone in the office). I know they see a lot of unhappy people all day as that's the nature of the job, and they always managed to be kind and nice to me even at my worst, since by the end I was basically already in tears before I'd even begin my visits.
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I love Dr. Harris. He is one of the best doctors I have ever had. He helped me through an extremely difficult time in a way that was always kind and compassionate, even when I was neither of those things. I feel that he went way above and beyond his job for my husband and me.
Ask all questions that you have. Always think of questions beforehand and come with a list. Dr. Harris does a great job of explaining everything but he's not a mind reader, of course.
The first embryo retrieval, Dr. Harris did not use an HcG trigger because of the number of eggs that I was likely to release, and the worry of hyperstimulation. However, the injection I did take did not release the eggs as expected (and this is not a normal thing to happen; 99% of the time this works), and so that cycle was basically a wash. Dr. Harris changed the protocol for the next cycle, doing an HcG trigger instead, which worked fine.
$10,000 IVF + around $2,000 for ICSI, + meds which I don't recall exactly
I am glad we did the eSET, even though the first two transfers did not take. It was probably the only way we could have afforded as many transfers as we did.
2012 - 2015
I liked my doctor [at Kaiser], the couple of other doctors that I've met, and the nursing staff and care coordinators. The biggest weakness is the wait time which has hovered around 6 months for years. Also, the billing folks occasionally have issues (although in my case that tended to be forgetting to charge me for things)...Monitoring appointments are go to the lab across the street when it opens, then come in for monitoring. If you don't want to wait, you have to be early (7am). Not my favorite method, but I get that it is designed for people who have to get to work.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I liked my doctor, the couple of other doctors that I've met, and the nursing staff and care coordinators. The biggest weakness is the wait time which has hovered around 6 months for years. Also, the billing folks occasionally have issues (although in my case that tended to be forgetting to charge me for things).
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I ended up with Dr Proctor because in 2012 when I went to the Kaiser clinic, he had a cancellation in his current cycle and they offered the slot to me. It turned out to be a great decision. We had cycled with a doctor at Stanford a couple of years prior and the difference was night and day. Dr. Proctor remembered my info from visit to visit. I got complete explanations about what was going on without even having to ask. He was kind in his delivery of news, but never overly optimistic or creating false hopes. The IVF cycle was successful. We went back in late 2015 hoping to do a FET with our one frozen embryo; it didn't survive thawing. Dr. Proctor told us himself and he and the embryologist explained what had likely happened. I felt that he handled it quite well.
I think he is a great doc, but he might not be for you if you need a lot of sugar coating on things. Also, the wait is currently long.
Base cost for the IVF was just over $9000; my meds were another almost $5000; ICSI was $1000. This was in 2012.
I remember being told that they would not transfer more than 2 embryos in a patient my age (I was 30 at the time). They gave me the option of eSET and a thorough explanation of the risks, but I elected to transfer 2 and given my history didn't get any pushback.
Fremont
My care coordinator [at Kaiser Permanente] was friendly and bubbly. Sometimes seemed frazzled but ultimately I got the information I needed from her in a timely manner. She gave me really helpful color coded calendars and called to remind me about each step in the process. I saw nurses for all my medicated IUI tranfers, and all of them were warm, kind, and professional...They knew me by name, gave me great advice for dealing with insurance, and were always optimistic and sympathetic during my failed attempts.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I really liked the staff at the Santa Clara location. They knew me by name, gave me great advice for dealing with insurance, and were always optimistic and sympathetic during my failed attempts.
Dr. Harris was warm and friendly right from the start. He encouraged all of our questions and took the time to patiently explain all the steps in the process, never making us feel rushed and always giving us his full attention. He remembered details about our personal lives and would ask us about them from time to time. His bedside manner is outstanding.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Day Reed)
My care coordinator was friendly and bubbly. Sometimes seemed frazzled but ultimately I got the information I needed from her in a timely manner. She gave me really helpful color coded calendars and called to remind me about each step in the process. I saw nurses for all my medicated IUI tranfers, and all of them were warm, kind, and professional.
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Harris is one of the most warm and friendly doctors I have ever had. Going into this process, my husband and I were anxious, desperate, and uninformed. Dr. Harris seemed a bit young when we first met him, and didn't seem to have tons of experience. However, after reading some of his past research papers and obviously from the detailed nature of our conversations, my concern proved to be unfounded. I feel extremely fortunate that we got Dr. Harris as our doctor (though our first choice didn't have availability to see us as early as we would have liked). Despite (or perhaps because of) being newer to the field than the other doctors in the office, Dr. Harris was extremely thorough and made the entire process manageable and transparent, reassuring us every step of the way and giving honest and candid advice. After our 2nd IVF cycle, we were blessed with twins. My husband and I tried for a 3rd last summer, unfortunately with another doctor since he had different insurance coverage, and I wished we could have gone back to Dr. Harris for that attempt.
Don't be afraid to ask questions - and make sure to tell him about all supplements you're taking and whether that interferes with any of the medication. Also, just a piece of general advice with any provider - make sure you ask your insurance company what medications they do or don't cover. Dr. Harris prescribed Follistim, which wasn't initially covered by my insurance. After almost a year of painful interactions with my insurance company (and having Dr. Harris write 2 letters), we were finally reimbursed for the medication, which we had to pay for out of pocket. Double check to make sure you get pre-authorization of procedures and meds once Dr. Harris tells you your protocol.
3 cycles of Clomid + IUI, 2 to 3 follicles each round, negative pregnancy tests. 1 cycle of Femara + IUI, 3 follicles, negative pregnancy test. 1st round of IVF after 1 month priming with birth control. Antagonist protocol (Follistim and Menopur to stimulate egg growth, Ganirelix to suppress growth for larger follicles). Retrieved 8 eggs, 4 fertilized. Transferred 2 embryos on Day 3, chemical pregnancy. The other 2 embryos did not survive until Day 5. 2nd round of IVF with 3 months priming with birth control (more because we had to wait until Dr. Harris had an available slot for this second round). Antagonist protocol with slightly increased dosage of Follistim and Menopur. Retrieved 7 eggs, 3 fertilized, all 3 embryos transferred. Dr. Harris told us it was unlikely we'd have triplets, but good chance we'd have twins. Positive pregnancy test, and now we have twin boys!
Dr. Harris advocated for transfer of 2 embryos the first round of IVF, and 3 embryos the 2nd (successful) round of IVF. On the 2nd round, we had 3 viable embryos on Day 3. The embryologist said she'd probably transfer 2, while Dr. Harris asked us how we would feel about multiples. After we said we'd be fine with twins, he recommended transferring all 3 embryos, saying there was a small likelihood we'd have triplets, but good chance we'd have twins. And as Dr. Harris described, I was relatively young and healthy enough (no major medical issues or history of family illnesses) to carry multiples if that's something we were comfortable with. He said he'd feel better about us having twins than no kids at all, the latter being more likely if we transferred only 2 embryos that failed and the remaining one didn't make it to Day 5. Both cycles had Day 3 transfers since there were not many embryos in either cycle. I know many doctors like to wait until Day 5 and perform frozen embryo transfers, but I like that Dr. Harris was willing to do Day 3, as he believed that there was a better chance of the embryos surviving in the uterus than outside, especially since there weren't many to begin with. Whether this is true or not, I liked having the choice, as I have several friends who weren't given the choice for Day 3 transfer at all, and had to adhere to their clinic policy of transferring on Day 5, or FET of blastocysts.
Sunnyvale
Nurse practioners [at Kaiser] are exceptional. They are warm, compassionate, and smart. They answer e-mails very promptly. The nursing staff was the best part of Kaiser...Strengths: Derien and all the front desk staff are very, very nice and kind and organized. Nurse practioners are superb, andrology window (sperm drop off) staff are beyond nice and patient. Weaknesses: Very busy office, lots of patients, availability of afternoon appointments is low, doctors seemed overwhelmed and overbooked...
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Strengths: Derien and all the front desk staff are very, very nice and kind and organized. Nurse practioners are superb, andrology window (sperm drop off) staff are beyond nice and patient. Weaknesses: Very busy office, lots of patients, availability of afternoon appointments is low, doctors seemed overwhelmed and overbooked. Kaiser in general is not very detailed and cutting edge, they are just basic.
Dr. Farah Eways is a mixed bag. She seems fake with her empathy and tries to "connect" with you by hugging you when she meets you (awkward!). She talks very quickly and multi-tasks in the appointment (for example, she is explaining something to you, but is also typing and trying to set up some blood tests. I didn't like her "busy" personality, she is not calm, and that made me feel nervous and uncertain. Even my husband, who is pretty chill, told me that she was "strange". I felt like I was rushed in the appointment, even though we were in there for a while, she talks a mile a minute. I wish she was more calm, a better listener, and explained all the different levels of infertility treatment. I wasn't until I changed REs and went with Dr. Harris that he actually explained the treatment process and I understood it better. Kaiser can be fine for baseline treatments, like HSG, blood work, even Clomid/Menopur and IUI, BUT if you are thinking about IVF, I would go elsewhere. We did 8-9 cycles of IUI with various drugs at Kaiser (with the diagnosis of Unexplained Infertility) and it wasn't until we got a second opinion elsewhere, that we actually got a male factor dianosis and mild female diagnosis. We were very surprised/upset/enraged that two Kaiser REs did not find anything wrong with us, but another doctor did. We were just spinning our wheels for a year! We did an IVF consult with Dr. Harris and he's super nice and reassuring, but then we got a second opinion consult with Dr. Zouves in Foster City and he was the one who actually found "something" wrong with us, just with a simple telephone consult and reviewing our infertility files from Kaiser. The Kaiser docs and Dr. Zouves have a dramatically different plan for IVF. Kaiser is very, very basic with their IVF. Dr. Zouves is incredibly detailed and believes in getting the body ready with supplements, acupuncture, diet, and exercise. Kaiser docs told us that "there is no evidence" to support diet, exercise, and acupunture. That is BS! There is so much out there on lifestyle. Bottom line: Kaiser is great for BASIC stuff. I would not do anything BIG with them (infertility or otherwise). They tend to think IN the box and do not have the latest and greatest resources and opinions (they say they do). If you need IVF I would call Dr. Zouves. Just look at his success rates. We're starting with him for IVF and I just feel better knowing we are out of Kaiser. I also plan to change my insurance after this experience with go to Mills Peninsula for my ob/gyn.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: You see all of them, they are fantastic!)
Nurse practioners are exceptional. They are warm, compassionate, and smart. They answer e-mails very promptly. The nursing staff was the best part of Kaiser. Doctors, not so much.
How was your experience with Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
see previous box for full review.
Change to Dr. Harris! He is the best one there. But I would never, ever do IVF at Kaiser. I would only stick to IUIs there. Their IVF is outdated compared to what is out there and their Fremont IVF center is a total mess (two inside sources told me this).
First, I did a HSG to see if my tubes are open. Everything was normal. Second, she couldn't find anything "wrong" with us (someone else did 1.5 years later) so she started me with Femara (even though I ovulate beautifully on my own each month) and that only created at the most, 2 eggs. Not a big deal, but I did it 5 times unsuccessfully. The third round I did get pregnant, but it ended up being a blighted ovum (empty sac, no fetus). It wasn't until I suggested we switch to Clomid and lo and be hold, I was able to produce 5 eggs! But still no pregnancy. I don't remember the rationale for Femara, she said she just likes it better than Clomid.
My plan with Kaiser for Infertility was 50 percent coverage. It wasn't too bad. It seemed pricy at first, but you get used to it and in the long run, it's pretty reasonable (if you actually get pregnant). We were not successful with Kaiser after 8-9 IUIs and it seemed as if we wasted a lot of money and were spinning our wheels month after month.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Kaiser Oakland has struggled to maintain the staffing (nurses and doctors) necessary for the clinic. I was initially referred to the Fremont clinic as the Oakland one was not accepting new patients and had to wait several months before being transferred to Oakland. They also do not perform IUIs on Sundays.... On one occasion, I was told that my prescriptions were ordered but when I arrived to pick them up, the Letrozole prescription had not been requested.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Extremely gentle bedside manner. Always very concerned about my well being.
Overall the nursing staff is pleasant and professional.
How was your experience with Preston Nelson at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Nelson requests calls shortly after each treatment to review how I was feeling and potential next steps. He always greets each call asking how I'm doing and if I have any questions. He ends each call confirming that I'm clear with next steps and making sure all of my questions and concerns are answered.
Be as honest as possible. He's very compassionate and non-judgmental.
We initially attempted a Clomid cycle with no IUI. Unfortunately, the medication left me with some unwanted side effects so he switched me to Letrozole for the next cycle. After a couple of Letrozole cycles with IUI, we decided to try Menopur with IUI. The Menopur did not yield greater results so we resumed Letrozole and waiting for another IUI. Dr. Nelson did recommend IVF after our first consultation but due to costs, we decided to go this route.
My husband has a good health insurance plan so costs of medications and co-pays are minimal. His insurance covers IUIs but does not cover IVF. Insurance through my employer does not cover IVF and IUI costs are higher.
Dr. Nelson was an IVF doctor but Kaiser does not offer that service at the Oakland facility so he did not make any recommendations regarding embryo transfers.
Oakland
Be patient. It’s a long process and doctors are booked up far in advance. Come ready with lot of questions for the doctors and nurses. They [Kaiser Permanente NorCal] are a very caring and loving team. They made you feel comfortable being there and were compassionate. It’s a stressful and tiring process that they understand.... [Nursing Staff] All were great and love them.... My husband and I were very comfortable with her and made us feel welcome when we had appointments.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Be patient. It’s a long process and doctors are booked up far in advance. Come ready with lot of questions for the doctors and nurses. They are a very caring and loving team. They made you feel comfortable being there and were compassionate. It’s a stressful and tiring process that they understand.
She was very personable. My husband and I were very comfortable with her and made us feel welcome when we had appointments.
All were great and love them.
How was your experience with Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
She is very straight forward and gets the job done. She is very through andnis great at her job. We were very confident with her decisions and my treatment. If she felt something wasn’t right, she would adjust my protocol.
She is from the East Coast and she can talk a bit fast but we are used to that dialect being from the East Coast. People have mentioned on this page she multi-task and isn’t paying attention. I am going to say false. She is dictating notes and things that she needs you to do or she’ll email another doctor that’s treating you for something separate. She partners with your doctors to make sure you will have a healthy and successful pregnancy if successful.
I don’t recall the protocol. We did freeze all and genetic testing. Half embryos were swarms and half were ICSI
She explained the reason and through research behind success of single vs. multiple &lt;40.
Sunnyvale
Strength is really only for if your insurance is through then specifically and covers some of the meds by them [Kaiser NorCal]. That’s why I went to them. I didn’t have coverage for any other facility. Weakness is that they are a corporation and don’t seem like they really care about getting you pregnant. They just follow standard protocols without really looking into you as an individual or your specific needs.... It was a $30 copay for any visit for the ultrasounds and procedure for iui.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Strength is really only for if your insurance is through then specifically and covers some of the meds by them. That’s why I went to them. I didn’t have coverage for any other facility. Weakness is that they are a corporation and don’t seem like they really care about getting you pregnant. They just follow standard protocols without really looking into you as an individual or your specific needs.
Dr. Telles was very nice and compassionate, acknowledging this as a very emotional journey.
Very friendly and always try to give the patients hope.
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
How was your experience with Tracey Telles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Although Dr. Telles was very compassionate, she gave me false hope. With my initial consult, she suggested just doing an IUI and practically guaranteed that would work. A year and a couple months later and I’m still not pregnant. After asking a second doctor to look over my lab results, I found out I have a mild form of PCOS. I should have gone straight to IVF without wasting time, money, or heartbreak on IUI.
Get a second opinion if you’re not pregnant within three cycles.
She had me try both clinics and femara for different cycles with an ovidrel shot and IUI.
My insurance covered most of the meds and the appointments. It was a $30 copay for any visit for the ultrasounds and procedure for iui. Meds were about $200-300 a cycle.
Tracey Telles
San Ramon
The only weakness this clinic [Kaiser San Raomon] has is that it is a drive from my house, and that they don’t perform the IVF procedure at their location. The are kind, welcoming staff and truly care about their patients and do not rush or make you feel like a number.... The staff are amazing. Always welcoming, caring, kind and responsive. They cared about us and our needs and were always willingly to listen.... Our insurance covered 50% of the IUI procedure.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The only weakness this clinic has is that it is a drive from my house, and that they don’t perform the IVF procedure at their location. The are kind, welcoming staff and truly care about their patients and do not rush or make you feel like a number.
Dr. Grosskinsky was amazing. He always had a personal conversation before getting down to the actually appointment and always remembered what we talked about in the appointment before. I loved him as a doctor and always felt comfortable.
How was your experience with Clemens Grosskinsky at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He was very straight forward and honest about our issues and chances of IUI working. While at the same time truly caring about us as people. He really cared about us and never rushed us in and out or pushed anything or procedures on us. He listened and made a plans based on our needs. A great doctor.
That he is a good doctor. He is caring and he is honest. He is a funny person and likes to tell jokes to him ease the situation.
I only had IUI done by Dr. G and for the first treatment he had me on clomid and the second time he adjusted to Fermara because with clomid my uterual lining was a little thin.
Our insurance covered 50% of the IUI procedure. The ultra sounds out of pocket was around $100, the IUi itself I think was around $200 and the medication for each IUI was around $100 after insurance.
4 IUI, IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Love the staff and specifically Marion Columbo. I really established a relationship with her since I spent 9 months with her. She was amazing. Quick to answer questions, very clear on what she was doing....I feel like everyone is just a number to Kaiser. Maybe it's because they are so large. Don't feel like they care about each person. I don't like how controlling Kaiser is either. I also don't like communication with Kaiser. You can't just call Dr office and schedule a call.
4 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I feel like everyone is just a number to Kaiser. Maybe it's because they are so large. Don't feel like they care about each person. I don't like how controlling Kaiser is either. I also don't like communication with Kaiser. You can't just call Dr office and schedule a call. You either have to call a generic number and leave a message and hope someone calls you back. Most days they don't and they respond through a secure site that I then can't respond to their message. Very frustrating.
Felt in the middle. Kaiser is very different from other clinics. They have more control over things that I think I should be able to weigh in or have more control over. Appointments were always rushed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Marion Columbo)
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I think IVF doctors forget that its hard for people going through infertility. Very emotional experience and a very pricy one. I did 3 rounds of IUI before meeting Dr Harris. When I did finally meet him I didn't feel like my meds were strong enough so in return my body didn't produce follicles
Ask questions, speak up, don't take no for answer, it's your body, your money and your future child, so don't be afraid to speak up on what you want to do or questions.
Menopure and Follistim
This is the one area I don't agree with Kaiser on. They don't allow you to put more than one embryo in AND they don't allow you to select the sex if you pay for genetic testing. I still struggle with both
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Unexplained
I felt that the nursing staff [at Kaiser - Fremont] was great and very supportive. They were always friendly and compassionate...The clinic is in a nice building and was clean and comfortable... [Re: monitoring appointments] I didn't love this aspect but in the end it worked fine. There was just one day that I got there a bit later and I had to wait almost two hours...When going to this clinic, see it as a whole team.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The clinic is in a nice building and was clean and comfortable. It's a little confusing on how to enter the building sometimes. If it's before the actual building is open, you have to be let in through an intercom and that was strange sometimes.
I felt that Dr.Proctor was friendly & personable but he also seemed to be a bit overloaded & tired at the time. He was working A LOT during the time I saw him. I saw him after he took a two week vacation and I definitely saw a difference in his energy level & emotional connection to me. I was also confirmed as pregnant at that time so I think he was also happy that we had a successful cycle and felt accomplished.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I felt that the nursing staff was great and very supportive. They were always friendly and compassionate. There was one day in particular that I was upset and started to cry since my cycle was not going well at the moment. I was standing in the hall so she had me go into one of the offices and her & another nurse let me be emotional and they comforted me. What I liked the most was that they didn't give me false hope or the opposite. One of the main coordinators said, "You only need one good egg. Just stay hopeful but grounded" and I thought that was very good advise. I really appreciated their support especially in that moment.
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
My husband and I liked how Dr. Proctor was honest in his approach and was not trying to sell us on additional treatments. He was honest about the success rate and he was also straightforward about whether genetic testing was worth the extra costs or not (for us, we ended up not seeing the added value for how much more money it was but it all depends on the circumstances). Other clinics we went to during our research, really tried to sell people on the genetic testing but Dr. Proctor was not like that. During my visits, as I mentioned, I felt he was a bit overworked at the time but he was always present. When the cycle was not going so well at first, he made adjustments and I could see that he had to make a decision based on a gut feeling & probably prior experience on whether I should take meds for another day or not. I had no idea what to do in that situation so had to trust him, which I did, and I ended up getting pregnant. I didn't have a very emotional connection with him but I got that with the nurses so I felt fine about that. Having gone through a lot before this point, I understand that the doctor being skilled and experienced is more important than him/her being my emotional support. I can get that elsewhere. I am paying for a professional, skilled IVF doctor; not a therapist.
When going to this clinic, see it as a whole team. What you may not get from Dr. Proctor (emotional support, touchy feely etc.), you can get from the nurses, family/friends, etc. He is skilled and honest and we had a good experience with him.
I unfortunately don't remember all of the specifics of what type of meds/dosages I took. But probably a third of the way through, he increased my dosage to the maximum since I was not producing eggs on the right side (I had ovarian cyst removal on that side so not surprising). This did help with the egg production but I still didn't produce a ton of eggs. Towards the end of my injection cycle, I had 4 really good eggs on the left side and he wondered if we should do one more day of injections in order to see if the right side would catch up... but in the end, he decided to NOT do this in order to not risk compromising those 4 eggs that were ready and looking good. In the end, we ended up with 4 great embryos (one of which is due to be born in two weeks!), and although we can't prove this, Dr. Proctor believes that those 4 embryos were most likely from those 4 great eggs. This is a decision he made that could have gone the other way- he could have decided to go another day of meds and those eggs could have been compromised. Even though I did not produce a ton of eggs (7 total), 5 fertilized and 4 became embryos which is a really great outcome considering the low amount of eggs.
I didn't love this aspect but in the end it worked fine. There was just one day that I got there a bit later and I had to wait almost two hours. Luckily it was a day I didn't have to work so it wasn't as bad. But even when you had to wait, there was a nice waiting room with seating etc.
Dr. Proctor did say that someone my age (39 at the time of transfer), would normally put 2-3 eggs in. My husband and I had done research and decided to just put one embryo in for this first transfer. If it hadn't of worked, we may have done two the next time. But for this first transfer, that is what we did. Dr. Proctor left the decision to us and did not try to convince us otherwise. I told him our rationale (riskier pregnancy for babies and mom, very hard and expensive to have two babies especially where we live, we don't have family nearby to help us, etc. ) and he agreed those are major factors to consider when deciding. He respected our decision.
Fremont
It's part of Kaiser so if your insurance covers anything, it's worth trying IUIs with the team. It's an older facility and you're surrounded by pregnant people so that can be a drag emotionally. They have you answer abuse questions at, almost, every appointment, which seems like a waste of time when you're going in often... When I knew I was going to miscarry they let me choose to go through the process naturally. After many weeks, I thought I was in the clear; however, I was not. I was given pills to take to force the miscarriage. I just wish I truly understood ahead of time how painful it would be and what exactly was going to happen.
European, East Asian
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Dr. Huang is a nice person who means well and tries hard. You can tell in his bedside manner that you matter and he cares.
A team effort and supportive during the admitting and appointment process.
How was your experience with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Huang was not initially our assigned doctor; however, over time, we came to trust him as we completed several rounds of IUI. Dr. Huang kept tabs on our progress and encouraged our efforts when it was time to move on to IVF and chose another clinic. The only negative experience was during the wait for the miscarriage and managing my expectations of the experience - which, unfortunately, were mired with fear and pain.
Make sure you feel confident understanding what to expect. Surprises are usually not a good thing.
Lots of clomid fueled IUIs - hardly a change in dosage over the course of 7 rounds including 1 miscarriage.
There was a co-pay with each visit and the overall cost of the procedure totaled around $500 per IUI. Meds were available at the Kaiser pharmacy.
San Francisco
All the nurses [at Kaiser - Fremont] are very friendly and nice and truly seem to understand how difficult infertility can be.Everyone was scheduled at a certain time so it could be a long wait, but they were really quick and we got to meet with the actual Dr for each appointment so I did not mind. Plus you could check in and then do your bloodwork while you waited...
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
It was great that ever appointment I saw Dr Tan. All the nurses are very friendly and nice and truly seem to understand how difficult infertility can be.
Dr. Tan took time to explain things, was always very friendly and on an occasion he thought I may nervous he called me at home after normal work hours to check on me and help explain things in more details. Although he was seeing lots of other patients for IVF I always felt like he cared about me and knew my case.
How was your experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Although there was a little language barrier at times, it was very minimal and only really happened when I asked really random questions about certain fad diets/workouts. He was a great Dr. and I was sad when I left his care to move to my regular OB. He really took time to ensure I was ok, and explained everything wonderfully. He was very personable and although he gave lots of details about success rates or lack thereof, he did it in a very professional and sensitive manner and no in a doom and gloom way. Great bedside manner.
If you have a question ask him, he is more than willing to answer it.
Fremont
The clinic [Kaiser Permanente in Sunnyvale] is very well organized. Everyone has a specific job and knows how to do it well...$10,000 for fresh IVF cycle, $2,500 for ICSI procedure. $5,000 for medications at outside pharmacy....During my first monitoring appointment I started to cry when my ovaries weren't reacting to the drugs the way she [Dr Lisa Farrah-Eways] wanted them to. She gave me a hug, and at the end of each appointment after that she would look me in the eye and tell me "You're doing a great job."
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The clinic is very well organized. Everyone has a specific job and knows how to do it well.
During my first monitoring appointment I started to cry when my ovaries weren't reacting to the drugs the way she wanted them to. She gave me a hug, and at the end of each appointment after that she would look me in the eye and tell me "You're doing a great job."
All very nice and understanding. They held an injection class where they were very patient in answering everyone's questions.
How was your experience with Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
From our consult on she was very proactive in giving me plans for improve my egg quality before starting our IVF cycle, as to get the best result. She took my total of 2 produced eggs and created a positive pregnancy out one of them. I am so fortunate that my previous RE highly recommended her and sent me her way.
Trust her, she knows her stuff.
She had me on CoQ10 and DHEA for 2-3 months before starting our medicated cycle, and also had me start acupuncture to improve blood flow to my ovaries during that time (continued through retrieval and transfer). I was on Lupron for 12 days, and Follistim and Menopur for 10 days before retrieval. The Menopur dosage was increased about 4 to 5 days in while the other two stayed constant the whole cycle. I had 3 follicles during the cycle, only 2 produced eggs and both were mature. Both fertilized but only one made it to Day 5 transfer.
Sunnyvale
The nursing staff [Kaiser Permanente NorCal] were the most compassionate of the team. I appreciated their patience and guidance and felt like they were rotting for me.... Strengths: it’s what you’ll use if you have any Kaiser coverage! Fairly easy to get appointments. Convenience of coordinating other related testing through Kaiser speeds up the process. Weaknesses: very by the book; it seems like everyone goes through the same stages and ramp ups.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Dr Hirata was somewhat robotic. I didn’t feel that she sufficiently answered my questions about our unexplained diagnosis or offered much in the way of options.
The nursing staff were the most compassionate of the team. I appreciated their patience and guidance and felt like they were rotting for me.
How was your experience with Janie Hirata at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I was doing IUIs with Dr Hirata while diagnosed as “unexplained.” Beyond the usual battery of tests she offeeed no additional ways to look into the root cause nor did she encourage us to pursue more rigorous treatment. We got pregnant while seeing her (though another doctor was overseeing the cycle) so I think Kaiser was doing everything right but I felt a lack of compassion or sympathy and an impatience in my asking questions from Dr Hirata.
We did 1 IUI with clomid, 2 with leteozole and then did an optional last IUI with letrozole and menopur while we were waiting for IVF. The last cycle was successful.
4 IUIs with a 50% copay cost around $3000 (including one cycle of injectibles).
6 IUI, 6 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
The practice is great except Kaiser SF doesn’t do IVF if you must move on to more treatment....Kaiser is fantastic because all of your care is coordinated under one roof. Your providers can see all of your labs from other providers, plus order labs/meds for your partner easily. The facility itself is a bit crowded but the rooms are nice and the waiting time wasn’t too bad...The nurses were responsive and communicated well. The only hitch was that it was difficult to speak with them directly because you have to leave a message first to initiate a communication.
6 IUI, 6 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Dr Huang is the kindest, loveliest man. He was so compassionate and I wish he could have done my IVF but his clinic didn’t offer it
How was your experience with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr Huang was super sweet and a great listener. He always responded to my emails promptly and kindly. I’ve since seen several other REs as we moved on to IVF, and no one was as compassionate or responsive. I never felt like he was in a hurry to get to the next patient and he is the only RE that wasn’t uncomfortable with crying:)
Don’t feel shy to email with questions. The practice is great except Kaiser SF doesn’t do IVF if you must move on to more treatment.
I saw Dr. Huang for IUIs due to diminished ovarian reserve. I ended up doing 6 cycles of IUI in part because it was covered by my insurance, and also because I had some canceled IVF cycles that were converted to IUI with Kaiser. He had me taking Letrozole and then trigger for IUI
We were lucky that infertility services were covered by Kaiser at the time, so only had 30$ co-pays per procedure
We never discussed this as I wasn’t seeing him for IVF
Tubal Blockage, Other, Unexplained
I feel that the clinic [Kaiser Permanente Fremont] was a nice clinic with a great seating area in the waiting room to help you feel comfortable.... The nursing staff was great and communicated well with me.... My experience had some great times but also some frustrating and sad moments. There were times when looking over test results or images when I was told over and over again what a unique case I had and I wish I could give you more information. Dr. Proctor was willing to explore different tests and procedures and was honest with the fact that they may not give us any new answers.
Tubal Blockage, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I feel that the clinic was a nice clinic with a great seating area in the waiting room to help you feel comfortable.
I feel that every test was run that needed to be run. The doctor tried different tests and procedures to help us get answers or diagnose the problem for our infertility journey.
The nursing staff was great and communicated well with me.
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
To be open to suggested tests and procedures but at the same time be prepared that the answers you receive may not be the ones you want to hear.
I remember starting with the basic blood work and a couple imaging tests, mri, ultrasounds and some other stuff. From there seeing as there was a blockage somewhere surgery to explore and see if they could find the source was done with no real answers found.
The cost ranged from visit to visit depending on what was going on and what tests needed to be run. My insurance covered 50% of the cost for most of the visits and tests. I did have to pay some of them fully out of pocket.
Fremont
Hospital like setting with excellent providers and staff. I really like kaiser. It’s not as fancy as the private clinics and can feel a bit institutional when you are there sometimes. Parking at certain locations can be difficult. But the level of care and quality of doctors we have found to be superior to the private clinic we have visited and we have been really happy that we switched to kaiser for our care.... I would recommend Dr. Hirata to anyone.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Kaiser. Hospital like setting with excellent providers and staff. I really like kaiser. It’s not as fancy as the private clinics and can feel a bit institutional when you are there sometimes. Parking at certain locations can be difficult. But the level of care and quality of doctors we have found to be superior to the private clinic we have visited and we have been really happy that we switched to kaiser for our care.
Dr. Hirata is wonderful. She is warm, welcoming, caring, and thorough. She spent a lot of time with my husband and I lovingly explaining everything to us.
Patient, caring, articulate.
How was your experience with Janie Hirata at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I would recommend Dr. Hirata to anyone. She is a truly wonderful physician. She made us feel comfortable and well informed every step of the way. She treated us like humans. She is warm and patient. She provided us with clear options and explained the numbers well. She spent a ton of time with us during each visit and made us feel very important and well cared for.
No advice, she’s wonderful.
Letrozole low dose for first cycle because great sperm and egg counts and high chance for multiples
Very cheap
Oakland
The clinic [Kaiser San Francisco] is friendly. You will only see Dr. G if that is the day he is working otherwise it’s another Dr or nurse practitioner and the 2 that I saw were fantastic.... We started with 50mg of Clomid and timed intercourse. It was our decision as to where we wanted to start and based on expense we chose this first. The 50mg of Clomid didn’t Produce any eggs so we moved right to 100mg and I have 2 follicles ready. We did timed intercourse with trigger shot. We were unsuccessful and when I went back in I had a 4cm cyst so I am Sitting this month out.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The clinic is friendly. You will only see Dr. G if that is the day he is working otherwise it’s another Dr or nurse practitioner and the 2 that I saw were fantastic. I was able to be billed for everything and that was nice for financial purposes
He was thorough in his exploration of everything and trued to relate
Friendly patient thorough
How was your experience with Clemens Grosskinsky at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Our Dr. Was thorough with all of our options and very personable even gave us some tips to save money. I felt like he cared and answered all of my questions. I think I have found you have to ask a lot of questions because it comes so natural to them dealing with it every day
Ask a lot of questions to ensure you fully understand everything that is being explained to you.
San Francisco
This clinic [Kaiser Permanente] provides many appointment options and conducts everything in a timely manner. They treated us with respect and care. They also respected our confidentiality while also being caring and supportive. The first come, first serve option for morning appointments was really nice because I would get there early and be seen by the doctor faster.... We always felt cared for and our emails/phone calls were always returned with a detailed reply.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
This clinic provides many appointment options and conducts everything in a timely manner. They treated us with respect and care. They also respected our confidentiality while also being caring and supportive. The first come, first serve option for morning appointments was really nice because I would get there early and be seen by the doctor faster.
Dr. Tan spent a lot of time with me and my husband, going over a lot of information and answering all of our questions. He was very caring and sympathetic towards our situation.
How was your experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Tan was an excellent communicator, extremely thorough, and passionate about his work. He always took the time to answer our questions. We never felt rushed at every appointment. He was honest and objective, but also compassionate.
Ask as many questions as you need to.
Because of diminished ovarian reserve, we were prescribed Fallustum and Menopur.
It was very expensive.
Not sure
Fremont
Kaiser is highly regimented. It's very efficient and relies on protocol, which works most of the time. But it works less well in terms of listening to patients and responding to them....Pricing is clear and information is easy to find...Kaiser as a system is very procedure based, and progress can be slow if the system doesn't really work for you. Kaiser doctors generally seem to rely heavily on protocol, and less on their own observations and decision making.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Dr Moy seemed sympathetic to some of the emotional pain of infertility and patiently answered all of our questions. However, Kaiser as a system is very procedure based, and progress can be slow if the system doesn't really work for you. Kaiser doctors generally seem to rely heavily on protocol, and less on their own observations and decision making.
How was your experience with Irene Moy at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
We are still early stage in infertility, so we haven't actually undergone any treatment. Dr. Moy was efficient in treatment and took time to explain things. I already wrote a general impression in response to another answer.
Dr Moy is only as good as the kaiser system.
Still early in treatment, but recommended 3 IUI and then an IVF and then reevaluate.
I have an info sheet somewhere, but don't remember offhand. Pricing is clear and information is easy to find.
PCOS, Unexplained
I love her [Dr. Janie Hirata]. I have been having a great experience as her patient. I feel deeply cared for and sincerely allied with. She has shown up to support me at appointments she wasn't even scheduled for in addition to being willing to answer all of my questions during appointments as well as over KP.org messages...NorBe - to regulate my period - successful Clomid at 50mg - increase maturation of follicles - unsuccessful Clomid at 10g - increase maturation of follicles - successful Ovidrel - trigger ovulation - successful Estradiol - increase thickness of uterine lining - successful Letrizol - increase maturation of follicles - successful Ovidrel - trigger ovulation - successful Letrizol - increase maturation of follicles - successful Ovidrel - trigger ovulation - successful
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Sliding scale is inaccessible i.e. expensive.
She is phenomenal. I really feel like she has my back and is my cheerleader while providing me realistic expectations.
I mostly interact with three staff members and all are warm and caring.
How was your experience with Janie Hirata at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I love her. I have been having a great experience as her patient. I feel deeply cared for and sincerely allied with. She has shown up to support me at appointments she wasn't even scheduled for in addition to being willing to answer all of my questions during appointments as well as over KP.org messages.
See her before you start IUIs with anyone else. I wish I had started with her.
Expensive.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
They [the staff at Kaiser Permanente Fertility] are very knowledgeable and get to know their patients very well. They do not offer IVF, so IUI is about as far as you can go....About $800 per IUI cycle....[Nurse] Carly always knew what information to tell me and was great on getting me into their tight schedule....He [Dr Thomas Kulterman] was always very conscious of the fact that I did not have coverage for fertility treatments. He would go out of his way to keep costs down as much as possible.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
They are very knowledgeable and get to know their patients very well. They do not offer IVF, so IUI is about as far as you can go.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Kulterman at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He was always very conscious of the fact that I did not have coverage for fertility treatments. He would go out of his way to keep costs down as much as possible.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Carly)
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
How was your experience with Thomas Kulterman at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He was very open with me about the medical issues standing in my way, as well as what needed to be done. He performed my laparascopy and diagnosed me with Stage 3 Endo. Because of my low ovarian reserve and egg quality he suggested only doing 3 IUI's before moving onto IVF (which his clinic does not offer), and was great with referring me to an IVF clinic when those 3 did not take.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Kulterman at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He has your best interest at heart, please take his advice.
Describe the protocols Thomas Kulterman used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
I had 4 attempted IUI cycles with him, all 4 I was on Letrozole only - no ijnectibles due to cost/coverage. The first was cancelled due to my lining being too thin, but the other three were completed. After the first cycle he upped my Letrozole dose. For each cycle I only had 2-3 follicles.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Kulterman at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
About $800 per IUI cycle.
Thomas Kulterman
2009 - 2014
The clinic [Kasier Permanente of Northern California] was not very flexible and responsive to LGBT patients' needs. Sometimes I'd get a call that I'd need to bring in "my husband's sperm" for washing and preparation by 8am in the morning, even when I'd clarified with the lab technician that I could bring the pre-washed donor sperm 30 minutes before the appointment. I suspect that part of the lack of initial success was due to the clinic thawing the frozen sperm hours before my appointment, losing precious viability of the sperm.
2009 - 2014
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The clinic was not very flexible and responsive to LGBT patients' needs. Sometimes I'd get a call that I'd need to bring in "my husband's sperm" for washing and preparation by 8am in the morning, even when I'd clarified with the lab technician that I could bring the pre-washed donor sperm 30 minutes before the appointment. I suspect that part of the lack of initial success was due to the clinic thawing the frozen sperm hours before my appointment, losing precious viability of the sperm.
I saw all of the Nurse Practitioners throughout my time at this facility. They're the ones who do all of the IUIs, sonograms, write prescriptions, etc. In general, they're high quality!
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
When I had trouble conceiving, Dr. Nixon didn't take things seriously and didn't seem to care that it was going to take another couple of months to conceive. For my first child, it took >1 year to conceive, and we spent a lot of extra money that we shouldn't have had to spend.
1st pregnancy: 3 cycles plain IUI, 3 cycles Clomid + IUI, 2 cycles Femara + IUI, 1 cycle Menopur + IUI (success) 2nd pregnancy: 2 cycles Menopur + IUI (first unsuccessful; second resulted in a multiple pregnancy)
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Both cycles were high dose antagonist protocols. One detriment of Kaiser is that you work with their cycle, not yours...The wait is insane. I have heard that billing can be funky for non-Kaiser patients. (Yes, you absolutely can go here and not be a Kaiser patient....One nurse could be negative, but overall they were very informed. Whenever I called or emailed with a question, they answered promptly. When I received my medical records from them, they logged every email or call.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Even though there was a wait to get in, people promptly returned emails and calls.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Lonnie)
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Proctor was very responsive. Even when I got a second opinion outside of Kaiser or cycled outside, he was willing to run whatever tests and suggestions the other doctors provided. Whenever I had a cycle outside of Kaiser and I asked him to run the beta so my insurance would cover it, he personally called me with the results.
Worth the wait? (Last time I heard it was 4-6 months to cycle). Very possibly.
Cost with ICSI was probably around $11000-12000
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
I had a great experience and I got my bundle of joy [from Kaiser Permanente]. I would recommend them and hope they provide other families with their a child. I had no problems with scheduling or anything. They were always able to accommodate me...We tried Clomid for a 3 cycles. Nothing happened. Then we changed to Letrozole. Then letrozole wirh IUI’s. Nothing happens. The cycle that I got pregnant. We did Letrozole for 4 days, then menopur, trigger shot, then IUI. Then I took progesterone tabs vaginally starting on 7th day.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I had a great experience and I got my bundle of joy. I would recommend them and hope they provide other families with their a child. I had no problems with scheduling or anything. They were always able to accommodate me.
How was your experience with Thomas Kulterman at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He has since retired. But he was straight to the point. He was very quiet but explained everything very good. He knew what he was doing. He liked to review the information before telling you the results or outcomes.
Don’t get discouraged by his nuetral affect. He’s good at what he does.
My insurance paid for 50% of all test and procedure.
Thomas Kulterman
Fresno
$13,200 for IVF with ICSI. Medications about $3,000 additional...Kaiser is big business, so they have a ton of resources and people and information. I liked this approach after being turned away from a small, boutique RE office...Dr. Proctor is personable and kind, but not overly so...Dr. Proctor listened. He was our second RE and let us tell our full story from start to finish. We are a very severe male factor infertility couple, so Dr. Proctor relied heavily on another male specialist to give the "ok." Once that was cleared up, we moved right ahead. Dr. Proctor was responsive, clear and exhibited no judgment or personal bias in any way.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Dr. Proctor is personable and kind, but not overly so.
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Come armed with information and ask the questions you need. He may not solicit the information from you.
IVF with ICSI. We debated about using ICSI, but Dr. Proctor said this was absolutely paramount in our situation. Our IVF cycle is currently in progress.
$13,200 for IVF with ICSI. Medications about $3,000 additional.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
[Kaiser Permanente NorCal is a] Very busy clinic but well organized and clean. I was initially scheduled for my consultation with another doctor but was told last minute that it was actually Dr. Proctor. It worked out at the end with him being the doctor but I was given no warning about the switch...I saw many nurses. They were all friendly but i never really got to know them. They were helpful on the phone if I called with a question.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Very professional yet friendly. He was a very busy doctor but I never felt rushed with him. He was quick with all appointments and procedures, but thorough. He was amazing at getting back to any questions via email; he was very prompt and fully answered the multiple questions I had.
Don’t hesitate to email him with questions.
Very quick but thorough
He seemed to generally suggest that women under 32 or so should have a single transfer.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
All staff [at Kaiser - San Francisco] take time with you sand are personable. Can be busy. Not open on Sunday’s...[Nursing Staff] Kind and hopeful with us. Very patient...10k total includes meds...[Dr. Huang] Very conservative on treatments. Very hesitant to listen to patient needs. Kind and calm. Irritating to work with as he won’t get ‘cerative’ In his treatment ideas. Very much a protocol for all and if that doesn’t work then he can’t help...
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
All staff take time with you sand are personable. Can be busy. Not open on Sunday’s
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Peters)
Kind and hopeful with us. Very patient
How was your experience with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He’s kind and can be a bit in a rush with you. Seems to treat each cycle as a new one not being informed by the last cycle to make adjustments. Very conservative on treatment options and not willing to think out of the box.
If you don’t need some creative out of the box thinking kind of treatment, then he’s fine.
1st cycle was 7.5 mg letrozole, IUI 2nd cycle was 10.5 mg letrozole, IUI 3rd cycle was 10.5 mg letrozole , IUI 4th cycle was 150 mg Clomid, IUI 5th cycle was 150 mg Clomid, IUI 6th cycle was 150iu Gonal F, 75 Menapour, IUI- Over stim- bust 7th cycle, EPP, 150 Gonal F 75 Menapour, IUI.
10k total includes meds
San Francisco
Strengths - it's Kaiser, so if you're there, you probably have some kind of insurance coverage, which is always a good thing with infertility! Weaknesses - super expensive meds at the Kaiser pharmacy, I wish I had had some advanced notice so I could have shopped around earlier, but I needed the trigger that day, so no time to shop around or wait for meds to ship!
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Direct and to the point. Explained things well.
Didn't have too many interactions with the nurses other than the NP that did the actual IUI, who seemed nice enough.
How was your experience with Irene Moy at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Direct and to the point, she gets the job done fairly efficiently. She was helpful in assisting us with our decision to do IVF instead of more IUIs. She was able to explain the evidence and also help us apply it to our situation.
No complaints.
IUI with letrozole. Better side effect profile than clomid. Lower risk of multiples compared to injectables.
Don't remember, but we had 50% insurance coverage and I think it came out to $200-$300 each IUI?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
[Kaiser is a]High volume clinic but they handle appointments and advice very efficiently. Nursing staff are top notch...Very organized and efficient. Start the process soon - wait list for IVF. Their success rates are high...Very low cost under Kaiser insurance. Minor copays. Labs covered. IVF would have been 20,000 for one cycle?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Very efficient yet caring staff. Dr and nurse practitioners were fantastic- everything explained very clearly and realistically. Very empathetic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Carla Schouten and Marian Colombo)
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Very gentle and caring old school doctor. Treated me with dignity and respect. Set realistic expectations but at the same time gave me hope. Was willing to start with low intervention treatment despite my AMA.
He is not that hands on. Does the initial assessments but then hands of to the nurse practitioners which was fine with me as they were really, really good.
Clomid Femara Trigger shot Iui
Very low cost under Kaiser insurance. Minor copays. Labs covered. IVF would have been 20,000 for one cycle.?
Sunnyvale
Amazing staff. They always made sure I was comfortable and were very patient...An IVF cycle costs about 11,000. For ICSI we paid an extra 2,000 or so. Medications were around 3,000...Strengths: very clean and well organized. The staff is very nice and professional Weaknesses: there were procedures that were not covered by them such as pipelle or IMSI...After several cycles failed, he [Dr. Harris] recommended us to get a second opinion before moving on to a new cycle because he wanted to make sure he wasn't missing anything.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
he has such good bedside manners. Always welcomes you with a smile, lets you ask any questions you might have and takes the time to answer them thoroughly in a pleasant but direct way
Amazing staff. They always made sure I was comfortable and were very patient
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Harris is a great guy and a good doctor. He is up to date on all of the new technologies and will clearly communicate with you about where you stand and what should happen next. After several cycles failed, he recommended us to get a second opinion before moving on to a new cycle because he wanted to make sure he wasn't missing anything.
Ask questions
IUI, 1 IVF
PCOS, Unexplained
They are they typical kaiser robots collecting a paycheck. they dont care about you either. they lack compassion.
IUI, 1 IVF
PCOS, Unexplained
She is a total bait and switch md. she promised the world and then did nothing but critiscize. she promised she would get me in to her next cycle and then lied and said she never said that. she also wanted to take my spot on her calendar and give it to another patient.
they are they typical kaiser robots collecting a paycheck. they dont care about you either. they lack compassion.
How was your experience with Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
she told me to always call or email her with any questions. when i did, she told me i should be calling the ivf nurses. she is all bait and switch. if she thinks she has a patient that has a better chance at being successful and making her stats better then she will take your spot and give it to someone else.
stay away from her. she is poison. she will promise the world and then lie. she lacks compassion and is always in a rush. she is only worried about her own stats. she does not care about you, her ivf calendar is always full.
$17k not including meds or pgs
PCOS, Immunological
I couldn't be more happy with [Kasier Santa Clara] and the care I have received. And would recommend him highly.
PCOS, Immunological
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I was so nervous leading up to the appointment. I don't know why because my husband and I had been trying to get pregnant for 4 years. Within the first 5 minutes I knew that I was in good hands and my butterflies went away. He was very clear and wrote very detailed directions on what needed to be done and what was going to be happening. He assured me that I would be taken care of and to email him with any questions even if it wasn't related to fertility. Without any lab tests or ultrasounds he diagnosed me with what he thought I had then sent me on my way with a list of tests. He was dead on! Right away I was put on medication that helped me. I couldn't be more happy with the clinic and the care I have received. And would recommend him highly.
Ask a lot of questions because you wont get this kind of time with a Doctor ever again. He spent 60 minutes with me and my husband.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
I have nothing but excellent things to say about Dr. Proctor and the nurses at Kaiser Fremont. Everyone was honest, compassionate, and incredibly helpful....Dr. Proctor said to me, “What would be worse—not getting pregnant with this cycle of IVF or getting pregnant with twins.” I decided that I needed to get pregnant that cycle, I chose to transfer 2 embryos, and I got pregnant with twins.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I had a very positive experience in this very difficult situation. I have nothing but excellent things to say about Dr. Proctor and the nurses at Kaiser Fremont. Everyone was honest, compassionate, and incredibly helpful.
Dr. Proctor really “spoke my language.” He understood where I was coming from and gave me choices (in a way that directly applied to me) on how to proceed. Throughout the entire process, I always felt like he “got me” and was my advocate. I have nothing but positive things to say about Dr. Proctor.
Excellent
How was your experience with Jon Proctor at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Infertility is such a personal, isolating, difficult struggle, but Dr. Proctor really understood me and he “spoke my language.” He put my options into terms that made the most sense to me and for my specific situation. He was amazing!
Trust him. He knows what he’s talking about and he will advise you in your best interests.
3 IUI, IVF
Everything at Kaiser is done and handled by nursing staff. You are not really assigned one specific nurse. So it is difficult to create any bonding with any of them. Since fertility treatment is such a sentimental journey for all the patient. I really felt let down at Kaiser.
3 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The explanation was not done correctly neither was the diagnosis.
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Very impersonal. Felt like the doctor was very arrogant about his own achievement. Did not do the correct diagnosis.
I felt like all the treatments were done by the nurses. Nothing special that the doctor did.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Too small, not enough doctors. I feel they [Kaiser Permanente NorCal] have too many patients on there case load. Difficult to get in when you need. It would be nice to have more options of doctors. But its nice love the nurses. I love maria...Love love love the nursing staff...He [Dr. Grosskinsky] is blunt and to the point. Lacks compassion but not on purpose. He is old school md practicing old medicine. He is raw and unfiltered. He is up front and no sugar coating. But sometimes truth hurt....
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Too small, not enough doctors. I feel they have too many patients on there case load. Difficult to get in when you need. It would be nice to have more options of doctors. But its nice love the nurses. I love maria
Lack of compassion.
Love love love the nursing staff
How was your experience with Clemens Grosskinsky at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He is blunt and to the point. Lacks compassion but not on purpose. He is old school md practicing old medicine. He is raw and unfiltered. He is up front and no sugar coating. But sometimes truth hurt.
He means well
I do not recall
Covered under medical insurance
San Francisco
Being Kaiser they have requirements that other clinics may not. Like requiring trying without treatment for a year before they will consider you a candidate for treatment. If you have good insurance, the cost is low considering the number of appointments you end up going to and all the medications....Quality Kaiser staff...He [Clemens Grossinsky] is a little bit eclectic but helps keep things positive and light. I’m performing the IUI he was not the most gentle and my wife experienced a little more discomfort than with the other doctors.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
During treatment he was always very kind, personal and helped us maintain hope for our goal.
Quality Kaiser staff
How was your experience with Clemens Grosskinsky at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He is a little bit eclectic but helps keep things positive and light. I’m performing the IUI he was not the most gentle and my wife experienced a little more discomfort than with the other doctors. I would certainly trust him with further treatments.
Have a sense of humor
Standard
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Lots of waiting [at Kaiser - Santa Clara] and the place was always crowded. The front staff is nice but often rushed...[Nurses] They were always rushing and seemed like they were annoyed often...Mishandling of 2 semen samples...My insurance covered most appointments. The next steps would have been very expensive and out of pocket and we just go further due to not having the funds.
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Lots of waiting and the place was always crowded. The front staff is nice but often rushed.
He was kind and explained most things well
They were always rushing and seemed like they were annoyed often
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He explained things and seemed hopeful in the beginning. Once we realized my husband was the main issue then I felt ditched and that they had given up wanted to do everything to help. We were referred to another Dr and I didn't hear from him again.
Be pushy and make sure you don't fall through the cracks
He starts from least invasive and works his way up.
Describe Mark Nixon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr. Harris listened analytically and sympathetically. He always carried a warm smile and excitement every visit and procedure. He not only was with us through an IVF but also a uterine polyp removal, a D&C after a natural pregnancy with miscarriage and through the decision to rest for 6 months with counseling resources. Unfortunately we moved otherwise would have continued with him....Dr. Harris is with Kaiser, IVF monitoring is done in the morning on a first come basis, there are other couples in cycle with you so plan on not getting to work until noon these days. Take adequate time off work during the monitoring phase on the cycle.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
PCOS, Unexplained
1. Small clinic, appointments were easy to get 2. Staff was friendly, treated us well...IVF was $10,000 per cycle IUIs were $85 Ultrasounds were $100...We always felt comfortable talking to Dr Harris. He responded quickly by email to test results, answering any questions we might have. He walked us through what an IVF would mean, including giving us realistic odds of actually getting pregnant after 1 cycle. We decided to pause all fertility treatments for a month before we started IVF and shocklingly got pregnant in that cycle.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Dr Harris always took time to answer any questions we had about the process
Marion was very compassionate and patient.
How was your experience with Isiah Harris at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Ask questions! He answers any questions you might have.
IVF was $10,000 per cycle IUIs were $85 Ultrasounds were $100
IVF, Egg Freezing
One of our eggs did get lost in the fertilization process [at Kaiser]. Which sounds dramatic, but with tiny tiny cells seems bound to happen sometimes. It did not affect the procedure - we were still able to transfer the planned number of embryos.
IVF, Egg Freezing
Dr Moy was always on top of the details of our case. She treated us with care and kindness, but was also forthright about percentages and potential issues.
How was your experience with Irene Moy at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Moy kept a positive attitude, while also being very clear. I felt taken care of and like the process was in good hands, even though I wasn't in charge of every aspect of it.
She is excellent at returning emails, so don't be afraid to ask questions or follow up on a test you thought was scheduled. Once a test wasn't at the lab, and she saw my email and put in the order again before I was done at the pharmacy.
5 IUI, IVF
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
I apparently ran out of lab orders and so when I went to the lab one Saturday AM, I couldn't get my labs drawn before my ultrasound. It took about 30 mins to call the answering service so that they could take down ALL of my information and then have the on call nurse call me back so that she could do research on why I didn't have labs orders.
5 IUI, IVF
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Irene Moy at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
My husband and I loved Dr. Moy. We were very sad when after I got pregnant, she had to transfer my care to a general OBGYN. She is knowledgeable, has great bedside manner, and is honest without being cold. She made me feel very comfortable and had a lot of energy. She is easy to relate to. I didn't feel like I had to make small talk with her; the conversations came easily and that was important because you want to be as relaxed as you can during such a stressful time.
Don't get discouraged and change doctors/facility if the first cycle isn't successful. Dr. Moy has a lot of experience and will work with results/information obtained from the first cycle to make changes to subsequent cycles.
San Francisco
[Wen-Hui Shen] Clinic has good staff but it very busy. You must get on the calendar months in advance. It's worth the wait because their success rates are high...$8,700 for a fresh cycle and $3500 for drugs. If you qualified for ESET and the intital transfer failed, two additional FETs are free...
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
She was warm, compassionate and caring, but also very knowledgeable.
How was your experience with Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Shen is good at what she does. She has years of experience and really cares for her patients. She is intent on a positive outcome. She loves to meet your baby when he/she arrives. I love her for changing my life.
Ask lots of questions, be flexible, patient and positive. Do not overthink things and stay away from Doctor Google. Rely on the doctor's advise. Trust her.
2012 - 2015
[Kaiser Fertility nurses] Carla and Marion are the NPs I tried to have appointments with because they are so good. the MA Francis is awful and rude.
2012 - 2015
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: carla and marion)
carla and marion are the NPs i tried to have appointments with because they are so good. the MA francis is awful and rude.
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He talks alot. He is very open to what your needs are. my partner was very anti fertility tratment and refused to have sperm anaylsis the first year. dr nixon was patient and worked with us on our level.
max cycles on clomid, 3-4 cycles of femara, max cycles of menopur. some cycle of menopur with femara. we only did timed intercourse and iui under his care.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Dr Eways [at Kaiser] was very warm and kind and took a real interest in our success to become parents. She was always available via email and when we had visits she would give me a hug which made the process seem less clinical and more personal. She had a good bedside manner which we hadn't found in prior doctors.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr Eways was very warm and kind and took a real interest in our success to become parents. She was always available via email and when we had visits she would give me a hug which made the process seem less clinical and more personal. She had a good bedside manner which we hadn't found in prior doctors.
2011
Dr. Hirata kind of knew who I was. The nurses were helpful but did not know who I was as an individual. I felt like they were all really rushed and didn't have time to really explain things to me.