Genetic counseling: Offered
Vacaville
1 Quality Drive
Vacaville, CA 95688
707-624-3215
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kaiser Permanente Sacramento to a friend?

5 doctors
Dr Vue knows a lot in his field , however , he doesn’t explain infertility or IVF to the best of my understanding or my husbands . It was all explained very clinically . This is all new to us . We have been dealing with infertility for 4 years and he didn’t have any real reason why I wasn’t getting pregnant . He showed very little compassion and kind of hurried through the appointment
Unfortunately the IUI never happened as planned because the department who oversaw my husbands labs failed to tell us , the day before my procedure, that they expired 3 months prior. ... If this is the hospital and department [Kaiser Permanente] you want to go to make sure to be your own advocate. Tell them your symptoms and ask lots of questions. They are very helpful when it comes to moving forward, next steps
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Make sure you do your research on all things related to infertility/IVF. He is a very busy doctor so be sure to keep your appointments with him and ask as many questions necessary
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
He made it clear he was a very VERY busy doctor with many patients in many parts of Northern California and that a lot of his emails are handled by his MA’s
Describe the protocols Kenneth Vu used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento and their degree of success.
Dr . Vue prescribed Menopure to me with ovidril. It was my last treatment of both due to the number of times I am able to do it , with a scheduled IUI. Unfortunately the IUI never happened as planned because the department who oversaw my husbands labs failed to tell us , the day before my procedure, that they expired 3 months prior.
I have been with this particular nursing staff at Kaiser Roseville for almost 4 years .. while they show compassion, they are also very clinical .. never really offering advice or things to try(other than eating healthy and exercising)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Kaiser is a global giant. They are busy busy 24/7. If this is the hospital and department you want to go to make sure to be your own advocate. Tell them your symptoms and ask lots of questions. They are very helpful when it comes to moving forward, next steps
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Based on my husbands insurance, ultrasounds were only $10 and medications $10-$20 However, his insurance doesn’t cover ANYTHING for IVF :(
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I was on my last round of menopure and had my 5th IUI scheduled as well as an injection with Ovidril. I took my Menopure/trigger shot and the next day was supposed to have my IUI and the nurse called to inform me that my husbands labs had expired in January ... they couldn’t move on with my procedure for an IUI and I lost out on that round of menopure .
Roseville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.

Dr. Klooster took as much time as we needed to explain our situation and suggested treatment to us. He never rushed us or pressured us in our decision making. ... He was respectful of our desires for treatment and of our time and money. He was willing to consider our situation specifically rather than simply following the clinic's [Kaiser Permanente] standard protocols. ... I did not at all like that we saw a different doctor or nurse practitioner depending on the appointment.
The insurance billing process at this clinic [Kaiser Permanente] was a nightmare. ... It was difficult to get through to the office via phone during essential times, such as a pharmacy needing information for a prescription I was picking up prior to an appointment. We received conflicting information from the various nurse practitioners and doctors we saw ... we had a couple of months of setback due to poor communication between doctors about our treatment. ...
How was your experience with Curt Klooster at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr Klooster was very willing to spend time with us to explain his understanding of our situation and his recommendations for treatment. He was respectful of our desires for treatment and of our time and money. He was willing to consider our situation specifically rather than simply following the clinic's standard protocols.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Curt Klooster at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Be very direct about how slow or fast you would like to move through treatment options.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Curt Klooster at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
The nursing staff were friendly and kind. I saw different nurses every appointment, though, which I found challenging.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
This clinic seems to follow a pretty standard set of protocols for treatment. Unfortunately, we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility, so we do not fit a "standard" treatment, and the general course of treatment that we were suggested did not work for us. I did not at all like that we saw a different doctor or nurse practitioner depending on the appointment. I felt like our care was not consistent across the board and we had a couple of months of setback due to poor communication between doctors about our treatment.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
The insurance billing process at this clinic was a nightmare. I spent hours on the phone trying to figure out how much we would be paying for our appointments and treatment and never found answers. We have yet to receive bills for many of our appointments and the ones we received I had to contest for inaccuracies. It was difficult to get through to the office via phone during essential times, such as a pharmacy needing information for a prescription I was picking up prior to an appointment. We received conflicting information from the various nurse practitioners and doctors we saw, and it wasn't until we advocated for ourselves to make as many appointments with Dr. Klooster as possible, and to only listen to Dr. Klooster's treatment advice, that we found a reasonable course of treatment.

Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained, Other
Dr. Klooster was the first doctor to really listen to my problems when I was much younger before I even had a serious boyfriend or even considered having children of my own. He discovered I had two uteruses which had also been a factor in my endometriosis diagnosis at well. He then became our infertility doctor many years later and helped with two IUI's.... Dr. Klooster treated me as if I was his own daughter. He gave all options and was as open and straightforward as possible. He gave examples from his experience from what he's seen and learned. He gave his personal opinions when asked.
Kaiser handles a lot electronically which is a good thing and a bad thing depending on what you need. Unless you can reach the exact department it's hard to get immediate attention/response. They do a good job of trying to work with your schedule however some things only happen at certain times of the day which may require you to work around their schedule more often than not.... $20- $35 office visits $0 lab tests $3 - $7 medications $72.50 ultrasounds $100 IUI $17.50 sperm washing
European, Other
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Curt Klooster at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Klooster treated me as if I was his own daughter. He gave all options and was as open and straightforward as possible. He gave examples from his experience from what he's seen and learned. He gave his personal opinions when asked. I truly felt he cares about us as family.
Always ask clarifying questions because sometimes he knows so much he thinks you know it all too and throws out lingo that might be doctor-speak instead of what a patient might better understand.
Describe the protocols Curt Klooster used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento and their degree of success.
I did two IUI. The first time I did clomid and the second time I took Letrozole. I took each for the prescribed amount of time and then started the IUI's on the 17th day and the 13th day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Very kind and understanding. Very positive and nuturing.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Curt Klooster at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Describe Curt Klooster's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
For my specific case, Dr. Klooster was very pro single embryo transfer to avoid having multiples given my surgery removing one uterus. I got the impression that he thinks it's better overall for everyone though.
Roseville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Curt Klooster at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.

Ask all the questions you want because he [Dr. Vu] is very patient and easy to talk to...We did the IUI the day after I got a positive ovulation test. At the time I was only testing for ovulation in the morning, and the Iui was done the following morning. I think the 24 hour wait was too long...Dr. Vu was to the point yet kind. He made the situation easier to handle. Of all of the IUIs I received his was the only one that wasn’t painful. I have a tilted uterus, so it is hard for the doctors to get a smooth catheter insertion.
A strength [at Kaiser Permanente] would be the amazing medical team and their expertise. A weakness would be their hours of operation and not seeing the same doctor every visit. Make sure you follow the instructions for bringing semen from home or else you will have to reschedule and it may cause you to have to skip that month...The nurses were very kind and compassionate. They made us feel comfortable and encouraged.
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Vu was to the point yet kind. He made the situation easier to handle. Of all of the IUIs I received his was the only one that wasn’t painful. I have a tilted uterus, so it is hard for the doctors to get a smooth catheter insertion. I let Dr. Vu know that previous doctors had trouble and he said ‘what kind of trouble?’ While inserting and then I told him and he said, ‘well, we didn’t have that kind of triuble, because I’m already done and you didn’t even know it was in’!
Ask all the questions you want because he is very patient and easy to talk to.
Mr Vu was pleasant and kind. He was even able to make light of the difficult situation we were in.
Dr Vu found a sizeable cyst on my ovary the first month so he recommended we do not do clomid. The second month the cyst had shrunk to a safe size and we proceeded with the clomid. We paired this with an IUI because my husband has male factor infertility as well. Test showed he has very high viscosity. My diagnosis is occasional short periods. Dr. Vu had me on the smallest dose of clomid to make sure My ovaries weren’t being stimulated much, just that the clomid would ensure my period was long enough that an egg could attach if the IUI resulted in a fertilized egg. We did the IUI the day after I got a positive ovulation test. At the time I was only testing for ovulation in the morning, and the Iui was done the following morning. I think the 24 hour wait was too long. The time that I had an IUI and clomid resulting in a healthy pregnancy I tested for ovulation in the evening and got a positive and the IUI was the following morning. There was a longer opportunity for fertilization.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
A strength would be the amazing medical team and their expertise. A weakness would be their hours of operation and not seeing the same doctor every visit. Make sure you follow the instructions for bringing semen from home or else you will have to reschedule and it may cause you to have to skip that month.
Total we did 3 months of IUIs and 2 months I’d clomid and the cost after insurance was less than $1500.

2013 - 2017
He [Dr. Klooster] paid attention to detail, was straight to the point and didn't sugar coat, but took the time to present everything in an understanding manner. He made us feel like we were just another patient, that he sincerely wants us to be able to have a child....He was calm mannered and understanding. Took the time to asses out needs. Very thorough, and calm....he'll make sure things are done right but it won't be easy.
Communicative and willing to make adjustments. ..Everyone else, inclusive of doctors, nurses, reception, all of the staff [at Kaiser] was fantastic...They were all extremely attentive to all of our needs in office, and answered all of our question during the process via telephone....Some doctors did not listen when we stated certain tests were needed.... the largest costs we have are purchasing sperm for 1,200 for 6 cycles
2013 - 2017
How was your experience with Curt Klooster at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
He was calm mannered and understanding. Took the time to asses out needs. Very thorough, and calm. Out of every other fertility doctor at the clinic, was the only one willing to do what I needed to help us try to start a family.
Be prepared to jump into this head first, he'll make sure things are done right but it won't be easy.
He paid attention to detail, was straight to the point and didn't sugar coat, but took the time to present everything in an understanding manner. He made us feel like we were just another patient, that he sincerely wants us to be able to have a child.
We used clomid up to the higher dose, no response for the first 2 cycles. The highest clomid with injectables for the 3th cycle. 4th cycle used Menipur, IUI, miscarried. 5th cycle did 2 vials, 3 vials, and 4 vials consecutively for the 5th cycle. Failed IUI. 6th cycle we did the same as above. 7th cycle, started 4 consecutive vials of Menipur, highest amount of injectables available. Failed IUI. 8th cycle they put my wife on Prednisone for 3 cycles to suppress adrenal hormones while continuing on a high dose of menipure. This is when we started seeing progress. 3 failed IUIs.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Communicative and willing to make adjustments. I will say Dr. Vu was the absolute worst fertility doctor we have ever seen. After just a couple attempts he looked me and my wife in the eyes and told us to give up. The biggest jerk. He didn't understand why we're upset and had no compassion. Everyone else, inclusive of doctors, nurses, reception, all of the staff, was fantastic, EXCEPT Dr. Vu.
I have full coverage insurance, paying not too much. Maybe 2,000 after insurance kicked in and the largest costs we have are purchasing sperm for 1,200 for 6 cycles. Totaling around 10,000.
Never did any embryo transfers.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Some doctors did not listen when we stated certain tests were needed, when we switched doctors we were able to have progress on that.

11 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Very professional and fact base. He [Dr. Vu] knows his information. Unfortunately the group has no inhouse donors and it would cost a lot to go through tests again (even after you pick one from another company and they are tested there)...I went through IVF using injectables and donor sperm. I was sent a picture of the fertilized eggs (when I showed them to another fertility doctor at a different clinic, they were surprised they used them)
Small clinic [Kaiser - Roseville] that you did have to wait a bit to see the doctors. Very friendly and helpful staff. Not an up to date waiting room but the equipment in the back looked up to date. Bring a book when you come and wait because wifi is spotty and they have a vcr to show old movie part of the time.... I also had a diabetic nurse available (I was diagnosised as prediabetic and had to get that under control). I could call and email at any time to get questions answered.
11 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Very professional and fact base. He knows his information. Unfortunately the group has no inhouse donors and it would cost a lot to go through tests again (even after you pick one from another company and they are tested there)
Know exactly what you want
He told the facts but was not as personable as another doctor in that office that only did the IUIs
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Very friendly and helpful. I also had a diabetic nurse available (I was diagnosised as prediabetic and had to get that under control). I could call and email at any time to get questions answered.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Small clinic that you did have to wait a bit to see the doctors. Very friendly and helpful staff. Not an up to date waiting room but the equipment in the back looked up to date. Bring a book when you come and wait because wifi is spotty and they have a vcr to show old movie part of the time.
You pay for the medicine on your own, usually through Walgreens. You pay the IVF fees before the procedure. Around $12000
Describe Kenneth Vu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Roseville

She [the nurse] actually performs the IUIs and does her best to help you through each step of preparation...Phone consultation [with Dr. Klooster] based off low beta numbers was quick and too the point...He was able to reach me when everyone else was out of the clinic. He gave me the information I needed and explained the potential for an ectopic pregnancy and the risks involved. I was much better informed after the talk.
It was about 1k for a IUI cycle with letrozole [at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento]...They aren’t very thorough with IUIs, they don’t do an official count and there isn’t much monitoring through the IUI cycles. You can request to have more monitoring otherwise they will do one at the beginning only if you are taking a follicle stimulating drug...I absolutely loved my nurse! She is always kind and compassionate and takes the time out to discuss every single step and risks. She actually performs the IUIs and does her best to help you through each step of preparation.
How was your experience with Curt Klooster at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Ask any questions you have.
Phone consultation based off low beta numbers was quick and too the point.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Theresa Vandora Winters)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
It was about 1k for a IUI cycle with letrozole.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I’ve had to call more than once with the results of my beta as I never got a call back like I was supposed to.
Roseville

Dr. Vu was transparent and was kind when delivering bad news ... Dr. Vu seems knowledgeable and was compassionate. His explanation of treatment and further steps was somewhat confusing and my wife and I didn’t feel like we had a full understanding of what to expect moving forward. ... We were doing progesterone suppositories and letrazole. He only did the last 2 cycles because the previous doc very abruptly retired.
Seems like lots of turnover within the clinic [Kaiser Permanente Sacramento] and team did not explain the course of treatment aka duration (tentative treatment plan 6-12 months out). If I had to do it over again I’d be more assertive about the process ... [Nursing Staff was] Kind and compassionate and tactful ... Clinic did not take the time to explain the course/duration of treatment
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
It’s very early to tell because had a previous doc and he only did the last 2 cycles of treatment. Dr. Vu seems knowledgeable and was compassionate. His explanation of treatment and further steps was somewhat confusing and my wife and I didn’t feel like we had a full understanding of what to expect moving forward.
Make sure he explains the duration of treatment (6-12 months out).
Dr. Vu was transparent and was kind when delivering bad news
IUI. We were doing progesterone suppositories and letrazole. He only did the last 2 cycles because the previous doc very abruptly retired.
Kind and compassionate and tactful
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Seems like lots of turnover within the clinic and team did not explain the course of treatment aka duration (tentative treatment plan 6-12 months out). If I had to do it over again I’d be more assertive about the process
Each IUI and appointment was 15 bucks through kaiser (we have excellent insurance)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Clinic did not take the time to explain the course/duration of treatment
Roseville

Dr. Cookingham was compassionate and warm. She genuinely cares for her patients and our feelings. I always felt like she had my best interest at heart, and she went out of her way to be supportive throughout the process and treatment...I saw no weaknesses in this very special doctor. When I saw Dr. Cookingham, I felt like I was chatting with one of my girlfriends. She always was personable and never displayed the doctor ego. She always took her time and protected my best interest. She went out of her way to check on me when I lost my mother while going through fertility treatment, and she called me when I had a miscarriage to offer condolences. I couldn't have asked for a better doctor!
I spent about $17,000 for my IVF and medications [at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento]. My IUI's were about $900 each and the medication for each IUI was about $1,000...The fertility clinic was excellent at being responsive and ensuring I knew the next steps. They also guided me to find discounts for my medications since my treatment was completely out of pocket. When I had to bring my daughter to the appts, everyone. would. acknowledge her and showed her kindness...so kind and seemed to really enjoy their jobs. I actually missed everyone when I was no longer seeing them.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Trust her!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Describe the protocols Lisa Cookingham used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento and their degree of success.
I was on menopur and another injectable to stimulate my ovaries, and progesterone for 10 weeks once pregnant, but I feel like I'm forgetting something. She was very adamant about the recommendation to just transfer one. embryo. She was. very polite about it, but she was very concerned about transferring more than one.
Everyone in the fertility department was. so kind and seemed to really enjoy their jobs. I actually missed everyone when I was no longer seeing them.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I spent about $17,000 for my IVF and medications. My IUI's were about $900 each and the medication for each IUI was about $1,000
Sacramento

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.

8 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing
Dr. Vu is very personable, is patient with questions and spent as much time as I needed to explain the information I needed...He seemed A little overwhelmed every time I see him but went out of the way to try to put me at ease with my concerns and questions. I would recommend him, most of my interactions have been with his medical assistants and nurses though. He seems lake a very knowledgeable man with many years of experience
I was supposed to start my birth control and that I would receive my IVF calendar [from Kaiser Permanente] on the following week. I did get my calendar within a day however the calendar was for the following month and I was not informed but I needed to stop taking my birth control for three days...I wish the staff had a smaller work load of patients so they could give more focused individual care. I will note that every time I call they ended up talking to a different nurse. And when I got my prescription calendar it was not clear to me as to when to take my medications. It wasn’t communicated to me until after the fact when I was supposed to have stopped taking them. Pay very close attention to your medication calendar. It’s your responsibility to make sure you’re taking and stopping them when needed. I just figured someone would have told me.
8 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Vu is a great doctor. He seemed A little overwhelmed every time I see him but went out of the way to try to put me at ease with my concerns and questions. I would recommend him, most of my interactions have been with his medical assistants and nurses though. He seems lake a very knowledgeable man with many years of experience
Have a list of questions that you want to ask prepared before your visit
I am in the middle of my IVF process with dr vu. We are doing a frozen embryos cycle
It cost Over 20,000 out of pocket
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I was supposed to start my birth control and that I would receive my IVF calendar on the following week. I did get my calendar within a day however the calendar was for the following month and I was not informed but I needed to stop taking my birth control for three days in the car at Matt. I didn’t find out that I was supposed to have a break on my birth control until I had my appointment to go over my medication schedule. She said oh, you didn’t take a break in the air birth control? I I was never told that I needed to do that. Apparently it was in very small print on the top of the calendar in acronyms.
Sacramento

Vicky [Dr. Moy] took the time to discuss out initial test results, what they meant and our treatment options. Together, we were able to come up with a plan for our infertility treatments and I left the appointment feeling comfortable that we were in such good hands, despite how emotionally difficult this time can be. Infertility is a sensitive subject, and she was very open, direct and caring towards us...we have committed to doing IUI cycles for 3-4 cycles before moving onto IVF if necessary.
The nursing staff [at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento] were very pleasant and patient. Everyone seemed to work well together and the office ran smoothly with appointment times and getting patients in the back. The office was calm, soothing and everyone was extremely sensitive to the difficulties of infertility...The office was easy to find, kept calm and quiet, clean...the timelines seemed very realistic...So far, we have committed to doing IUI cycles for 3-4 cycles before moving onto IVF if necessary. We are doing IUI with Clomid and I am going to do 2 cycles without the trigger shot and then 2 cycles with the HCG trigger shot if necessary. We have gone in for our initial consultation, and I start my first IUI cycle in a few weeks.
How was your experience with Vicky Moy at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Vicky Moy was very personable and patient when explaining our infertility issues. Even though both my husband and I are in the medical field, we are limited understanding when it comes to infertility and the possible infertility treatments possible. Vicky took the time to discuss out initial test results, what they meant and our treatment options. Together, we were able to come up with a plan for our infertility treatments and I left the appointment feeling comfortable that we were in such good hands, despite how emotionally difficult this time can be. Infertility is a sensitive subject, and she was very open, direct and caring towards us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Vicky Moy at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Have all of your infertility testing for you and your partner done prior to your initial appointment. In addition, it's really important you and your partner are present in order to discuss your results and treatment options together. Many times, women go alone to the initial appointment but I thought having my husband there hear the information firsthand from Vicky was helpful.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Vicky Moy at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Vicky sat down with both my husband and I for over an hour in her office to go over our initial fertility testing that Kaiser had order prior to our appointment. Though both my husband and I are both in the medical field, we have limited understanding of infertility and Vicky took the time to explain everything to us. She was patient with us the entire appointment, and never made us feel rushed like she had another patient waiting. She laid all the options out on the table, and gave us her medical advice, but in the end let us decide what the best options are for our family and our fertility goals. She approached the appointment like we were more than another number in her clinic, and that was very important to us when finding a doctor. In addition, after the appointment, she sent me an email detailing everything we had discussed and the steps moving forward because it can be difficult to remember everything after an information filled and emotionally filled appointment.
Describe the protocols Vicky Moy used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento and their degree of success.
The nursing staff were very pleasant and patient. Everyone seemed to work well together and the office ran smoothly with appointment times and getting patients in the back. The office was calm, soothing and everyone was extremely sensitive to the difficulties of infertility.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Overall, I would recommend this clinic to a friend because of the staff and Dr. Moy. The office was easy to find, kept calm and quiet, clean. The nursing staff were friendly and ran everything efficiently. I have not had a treatment at the office yet, but the timelines seemed very realistic. The doctor was personable, and never rushed the appointment, making you feel like you were the most important person in the room. It felt very personable, and not like you were just another number they had to get to that day. She also allows you to email her and will get back to your within 24 hours, even on the weekends to answer questions or if you have any concerns during treatment. I think the accessibility to my doctor will become more and more important as I progress through my infertility treatments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Vicky Moy at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Infertility costs are covered 50% by our insurance, up until IVF treatment. IVF is estimated to cost $15-24,000 for the first cycle and an additional $5-6,000 a cycle thereafter. Genetic testing is extra, and additional medications are not covered.
Describe Vicky Moy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
My doctor has recommended an eSET for a singleton pregnancy because that is what is safest for the mother and baby. She prefers to do it that way, but in the end lets the couples decide what is best for their family planning.
Vicky Moy
Sacramento

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Vicky Moy at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.

2017 - 2019
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
. I always felt my opinion matered. I had forgotten to take a medication and had to have her pages at 9pm one night and she was more than happy to help me. When I wasn’t progressing on my stims like we were hoping she changed my dosage to better suite how my body was reacting. ... She always connected with me asked me how I was doing. I felt like I had a voice in my treatment and my protocol was made just for me.
Love the clinic [Kaiser Permanente] the staff is very nice. I hate the case managers phone line. I feel it is extremely difficult to get ahold of them. The office itself always answers there phone and helps as best as they can. ... The phone line is extremely hard to get a nurse the first time you call. They have you leave a voice mail and they will return your call.
2017 - 2019
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
She explained everything perfectly every visit. Her clinic was an hour away from me so instead of making me drive an hour for a follow up she contacted be by phone and would follow up with any lab results. I always felt my opinion matered. I had forgotten to take a medication and had to have her pages at 9pm one night and she was more than happy to help me. When I wasn’t progressing on my stims like we were hoping she changed my dosage to better suite how my body was reacting.
You will love her!
I always felt like a human. She always connected with me asked me how I was doing. I felt like I had a voice in my treatment and my protocol was made just for me. I felt she had my best interest. Unfortunately my son passed away after he was born and the first person to call me and offer their condolences was Dr.Cookingham. She was there for me when I was struggling the most and trying to make decisions on how to move forward with my goal to bring home a baby.
We primed with birth control. I stimed for 12 days. Took Gonal F 375ui AM for 3 days then 225ui for the remaining 9. Centrotide AM days 5-12 . Menopure 3 powder vials PM day 4-12. I started Estrace AM & PM days 5-12. After egg retrieval we started PM pio infections until 10.5weeks
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Laurel )
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Love the clinic the staff is very nice. I hate the case managers phone line. I feel it is extremely difficult to get ahold of them. The office itself always answers there phone and helps as best as they can.
The cost for my fresh transfer with icsi plus medications was $19,000

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
As a patient I feel like Dr. Vu just doesn't have the time to help me/thoroughly review my case. I think he is very knowledgeable and kind. I appreciate his honesty and do think that he is an expert in his field, just suffering from physician burn out. ... I definitely feel rushed in/rushed out. I do not feel like he takes the time to review my results with me or goes into detail about the game plan. ...
Kaiser NEEDS more than one doc. The nursing staff is awesome but the clinic cannot function with one doc, which is why I am switching clinics for IVF. I think the strengths is that they are super nice, responsive, and are very compassionate. ... It is VERY hard to get an appointment ... I think they also need to do a better job with their financial coordinators and how the info is delivered to the patient. I just had someone call me and told me I needed to pay thousands of dollars asap with out much detail, which was frustrating.
You have to be very patient and ok with 4 word e-mail replies
Dr. Vu is the only doc right now that Kaiser has in the Sacramento area. I definitely feel rushed in/rushed out. I do not feel like he takes the time to review my results with me or goes into detail about the game plan. Dr. Vu is very nice and very honest, I just feel like he is so overwhelmed that he doesn't have the time he needs for these appointments.
I decided not to pursue IVF with Dr. Vu and to go to a different clinic. Dr. Vu just did my IUI's and they were pretty simple.
The nursing staff at Kaiser is awesome, they have always been super nice and compassionate towards me. They also return calls/e-mails promptly. Just trying to get time with the doc was difficult.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Kaiser NEEDS more than one doc. The nursing staff is awesome but the clinic cannot function with one doc, which is why I am switching clinics for IVF. I think the strengths is that they are super nice, responsive, and are very compassionate. The weaknesses are that they have one one doctor. It is VERY hard to get an appointment, especially an appointment that fits well in the patient's schedule. They also have a five month waiting period for anyone that has not had an IVF consultation yet with the doctor, so I can only imagine how frustrating that is for new patients. I think they also need to do a better job with their financial coordinators and how the info is delivered to the patient. I just had someone call me and told me I needed to pay thousands of dollars asap with out much detail, which was frustrating.
I was quoted about 17k for IVF and 6-9k for meds. My IUI's and infertility treatment was covered.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
The clinic told me that I needed to fill out consent paperwork twice, but I had already had 3 IUI's at that point, so I had definitely already filled out the consent paperwork.
Sacramento

Dr. Cookingham is an excellent and knowledgeable physician. She supported her answers to my questions by referencing studies and research which gave me confidence. Several times throughout the process she would let us know what she thought our chance of success was. I felt that her care was customized to me and she would adjust plans throughout the process based on how I was responding. At the time of my egg retrieval, she decide it was best cancel the fresh embryo transfer and convert it to a freeze all cycle in order to improve our success rate.
I never had a long wait time for appointments or labs [at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento]. At the Vacaville center, IVF patients get priority at the lab and don't have to wait in line. In the Sacramento clinic, they draw your labs in the office so there was never a long wait. Everything was very smooth...I always had to leave a voicemail but they [nurses] typically get back to you within an hour or two.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Go see her! She is the best. She is knowledgeable, talented, caring, and honest, in all the right amounts.
Dr. Cookingham is the most genuinely kind and warm hearted provider I have ever encountered. She took her time explaining everything she was doing, what she was looking for, what she was seeing, and what was going to happen next. She explained her thought process every step of the way so I always felt informed and confident in the care she was providing. It was the first time in this process I felt like I could relax because I knew she was watching out for me and had my best interest at heart. I whole heartedly trust her and her opinion.
I always had to leave a voicemail but they typically get back to you within an hour or two.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I felt confident in seeking IVF care through Kaiser because their physicians see a lot of patients for IVF and therefore become very skilled in the procedure. I never had a long wait time for appointments or labs. At the Vacaville center, IVF patients get priority at the lab and don't have to wait in line. In the Sacramento clinic, they draw your labs in the office so there was never a long wait. Everything was very smooth.
$11,300 IVF, $5,000 Meds, $3,000 Frozen embryo transfer

Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Sohn eased me into what IVF was. He took his time and was through, he made me feel he truely cared. He also used humor to help quell your nerves, always making me feel like he was trustworthy and giving it me straight. I never felt it was just about money to him. ... He was supportive, informative, and definitely gave me all my options. When I had to switch Doctors he sent me to Dr. Lovely another Dr. He trusted well. I always felt he had my interests at heart and was truely sad to see us not conceive with oral meds.
All strength and no weakness. This clinic [Kaiser Permanente Sacramento] is on the ball through and through. They are attentive, caring, return your calls promptly, scheduling services are flexible, and you are never short on information or risks. They put you 1st! ... I felt very supportive under the care of his nursing team and nurse practitioner. It was a truely warm experience during such a dark time in my life.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Sae Sohn at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
I did 5 rounds of clomid and 1 of femara. He was supportive, informative, and definitely gave me all my options. When I had to switch Doctors he sent me to Dr. Lovely another Dr. He trusted well. I always felt he had my interests at heart and was truely sad to see us not conceive with oral meds.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sae Sohn at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
He makes you feel so at ease, which definitely helps you swallow this bitter pill of infertility treatments
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sae Sohn at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Describe the protocols Sae Sohn used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento and their degree of success.
I had low dose clomid my first 2 months then he increased it to 100mg. For the remaining 3 until we used femara as a last ditch effort before IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Sharma)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
All strength and no weakness. This clinic is on the ball through and through. They are attentive, caring, return your calls promptly, scheduling services are flexible, and you are never short on information or risks. They put you 1st!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sae Sohn at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
My monitoring, testing, and meds came out 4,232.00. I did not accrue any further fees as Dr. Sohn referred me to another clinic.
Describe Sae Sohn's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
He had an incentive program to use just one at a time. If you chose this, you had a forgiveness clause that allowed you 2 additional transfers. If you chose multiple (2) you did not get the incentive program
Sae Sohn
Sacramento

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sae Sohn at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.

Dr. Cookingham has a lot of strengths. ... She is also does IVF for cancer patients and has a lot of knowledge in oncology. ... She has been practicing for some time and has a lot of knowledge about Endometriosis and PCOS and the best treatment plans. I have stage IV Endometriosis and my husband has low sperm count so she advised us to do ICSI right from the beginning. ... I was very scared and apprehensive about the whole thing but she truly was an angel.
My costs were laid out on the consultation [Kaiser Permanente Sacramento]. She [doctor] also suggested a program which gives a discount on IVF medications. ... We saved over $5,000 on medications which made it very affordable. She also was up front with the extra costs of ICSI from the very beginning. ... The nursing staff is amazing. They all communicate well and are very accommodating. My husband is a police officer and the nursing staff wanted to make sure our egg retrieval time coincided with his work schedule.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Cookingham has a lot of strengths. She has been practicing for some time and has a lot of knowledge about Endometriosis and PCOS and the best treatment plans. I have stage IV Endometriosis and my husband has low sperm count so she advised us to do ICSI right from the beginning. We did not know my husband had low sperm count until she tested him. She went over all the blood results for both of us in the following appointment after our blood draws. She was very kind. One of the kindest doctors I have ever had. She made the IVF experience wonderful. I was very scared and apprehensive about the whole thing but she truly was an angel. She also informed me that my diagnosis of PCOS was irrelevant. She saw absolutely no signs of PCOS. I was so relieved and happy to hear that. She is also does IVF for cancer patients and has a lot of knowledge in oncology.
Trust her suggestions. She is very knowledgeable and good at what she does.
Dr. Cookingham was an amazing doctor. She throughly explained each procedure and step. She also made accomodated our egg retrieval time with an unexpected work issue my husband had. She was also very up front with the treatment options since we had issues on both sides. I appreciated her honesty yet she delivered with such kindness.
My protocol was very basic and straight forward. It did not change throughout the weeks leading up to egg retrieval other than decreasing the Lupron. I did 10 iu of Lupron then decreased it when I went off birth control to 5. I did 300 ui of Gonal F daily and menopur 1 mg shots daily. I then did the trigger after about 10 days. Very basic and staifht forward since my body was responding like it should have been. She used a basic protocol to avoid OHSS and since I did not have PCOS, this is what she suggested.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Monica Coltharp)
The nursing staff is amazing. They all communicate well and are very accommodating. My husband is a police officer and the nursing staff wanted to make sure our egg retrieval time coincided with his work schedule. They were very nice and I actually missed them when we were done with IVF.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I feel this clinic doesn’t really have many weaknesses other than the clinic was farther than I thought I would have to drive. To receive Dr. Cookingham’s expertise, it was well worth the traffic and distance to see her. The only downside is she is at two different clinics throughout the week. So some weeks I had to go to Vallejo and towards the end, I had to go to Sacramento. Other than that, it was a great clinic.
My costs were laid out on the consultation. She also suggested a program which gives a discount on IVF medications. This was a Godsend. We saved over $5,000 on medications which made it very affordable. She also was up front with the extra costs of ICSI from the very beginning.
Describe Lisa Cookingham's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I am not sure what her thoughts are since we have not done a transfer yet or talked about it with her yet.

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Cookingham knew my name from the second I walked into her treatment room. She also remembered me when we went to her IVF consultation and seminar, when I had not seen her for months. She is very warm and caring.... Dr. Cookingham upped my dose from 2mg of Femera to 7.5mg of Femara and also adjusted my Menopur dosage. While under her care I produced two follicles instead of one. I have not gotten pregnant yet, but we are on the wait list to start IVF treatment with her.
Kaiser is very easy to work with and I have had an overall very great experience working with them. Scheduling can be somewhat tricky because they don't answer their phones, but if you leave a message they return your call within one business day.... I LOVE the staff at Kaiser in Sacramento. I see Nurse Anjali Sharma most often for routine visits. I love her. She cares about her patients. I have never met a medical professional I like more actually.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Cookingham is wonderful. I first went to Dr. Vu and we just did not "click" how i wanted. I then saw Dr. Cookingham and I actually like her so much that my husband and I have decided to do IVF through Kaiser in Sacramento/Vacaville because I really want to work with her.
She has a long wait list for IVF, so sign up sooner rather than later, and you can always cancel your appointment if something happens or you change your mind.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: RN Anjali Sharma )
Like I stated in my previous review of Dr. Vu, I LOVE the staff at Kaiser in Sacramento. I see Nurse Anjali Sharma most often for routine visits. I love her. She cares about her patients. I have never met a medical professional I like more actually.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Nothing was covered under insurance other then diagnostic testing.
Dr. Cookingham prefers single embryo transfer and Kaiser does not want to do multiple embryo transfers unless you are in your mid thirties or older. They offer a program where if you meet the criteria (under 40, and has more than three quality eggs) then if you chose to implant one egg on your first fresh transfer, then if it fails they will give you two free frozen egg IVF cycles.

How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Vu is very direct and blunt. I like getting all the facts, but I don’t like them delivered in a cold way. I would say he was a little cold. I also feel like because I am only 26, he really didn’t listen to my concerns or questions because, “I have lots of time and have a good response to fertility medicine”. It made me feel like he wasn’t listening to me and kind of just brushing me off. It was upsetting because although I am young, I have still been trying to have a baby for two years and it’s really hard and an emotional time. I felt like I just didn’t connect with him personally. It is important for me to feel “connected” to my Dr. because we see them so often, and they are such a huge part of our life during TTC.
If you want straight forward answers and no sugar coating from a Dr. who is very knowledge go to Dr. Vu.
I think Dr. Vu was very upfront and honest. He was very blunt with me. Some people like that, some don’t. I appreciate blunt facts, however I do like some sort of warmth. He didn’t offer a lot of warmth. I can tell he is very knowledgeable and really knows his stuff, but his bedside manner turned me off from him. I stopped going to him after two cycles because I didn’t like the way he delivered things and I didn’t feel like I could ask him questions.
I did two cycles with Dr. Vu. The first cycle I did 2mg of Femara and five days of Menopur with a trigger shot of Ovidrel. I had one smallish/normal egg and I did ovulate but I got a big cyst on my other ovary. So I had to wait out a cycle and when I came back I wanted to up my dosage because it seemed like I just didn’t respond well. He did not agree because I am so young he said he wanted to take a conservative approach and that one egg was all I needed. I did one more cycle with the same protocol and same results minus the cyst. I ovulated both times (confirmed by ultrasound) but neither time resulted in pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: RN Anjali Sharma)
I absolutely love the nurses and staff at Kaiser in Sacramento. I wasn’t a big fan of Dr. Vu, but the nurses are amazing. I couldn’t recommend them high enough.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I love Kaiser in Sacramento and I am continuing my treatment with them, but with a different Dr. They are fantastic. They are organized and really care about their patients. I think the only piece of advice I can give is that you have to be your own health advocate. I am the one that has to call and schedule my own appointments and ask for ultrasounds/blood work. They do not call you. Also you have to leave a message because they don’t answer their phones, but their response time is pretty fast. Overall it’s a wonderful clinic and I trust them, which is really important.
Everything was out of pocket. Our insurance does not cover infertility so all costs are out of pocket unfortunately.
I have not done that yet.

1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Dr. Vu sees a lot of patients always bouncing from one to the next. I was warned that he is very scientific about the process, “ very doctor like” and gives it to you straight, which I appreciate but others have found insensitive. All I care about is if he can get us our end result, a child.... Dr. Vu was the one that really was able to explain my husband’s infertility issues with us. We had a private consultation with Dr. Vu and he considered all of our tests and labs and let us know that IVF with ICSI were our best chance.
The nurse case managers [Kaiser Sacramento] were wonderful! They answer phone calls and emails within a few hours or by the next morning. They really take the time to explain everything and have tissues ready when needed for those emotional appointments.... The scheduling process has a long wait list sometimes for transfer or egg retrieval. It’s essentially first to pay gets a spot. So the waiting was frustrating at times. Other than that, no complaints or comments.
1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Vu was the one that really was able to explain my husband’s infertility issues with us. We had a private consultation with Dr. Vu and he considered all of our tests and labs and let us know that IVF with ICSI were our best chance. He told us IUI would be a low success rate and he wouldn’t bother. I appreciated his honest opinion and after my husband and I doing our homework we agreed. Dr. Vu describes my husband’s low motility with a great analogy “you trying to get pregnant naturally is like a team of soccer players with no legs”. Honestly this analogy resonated with us and it all kind of clicked for us. My husband and I are both sports people so it was perfect for us. The only thing that I would say was frustrating was during my ultrasound appointments leading up to egg retrieval, he would come into the room and wiz through my appointment and then scoot out to the next patient. He is extremely busy and I know this, but a tiny bit more time would be calming and appreciated. At my egg retrieval he was obviously more present and explained everything to my husband and I. Have not had a transfer yet, but will schedule for later this year.
Ask all your questions!! We all have a ton going through this process, speak up he is friendly and will let you know the answer. It might be straightforward but he has the answers to most.
Dr. Vu sees a lot of patients always bouncing from one to the next. I was warned that he is very scientific about the process, “ very doctor like” and gives it to you straight, which I appreciate but others have found insensitive. All I care about is if he can get us our end result, a child. The Nurse case managers are wonderful though and really take the time to be personal and answer all of my questions. They also are able to directly get a response from Dr. Vu if I need one.
We were a make factor infertility case and I was already showing a high follicle count prior to beginning meds. He wanted to make sure that I progressed appropriately but also took into consideration that I was high risk for OHSS. He kept my meds at the minimum needed and adjusted accordingly. He ended up having us do a freeze all to try and avoid OHSS and give us the best chance for success. He wanted my body to have a natural menstrual cycle and get rid of all the medications prior to transfer the embryo.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: There was a team of Nurse Case Managers. Kathy and Laurel were the two I worked with the most.)
The nurse case managers were wonderful! They answer phone calls and emails within a few hours or by the next morning. They really take the time to explain everything and have tissues ready when needed for those emotional appointments. At my egg retrieval I was slightly anxious and ended up having an allergic reaction to a form of penicillin and my RN was so amazing and compassionate when I had to leave my husband and go to the procedure room. She held my hand until I was out under. I can not speak more highly of the nurses!!
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
We did IVF with ICSI totaling about $12,000. Our meds were an additional $3800 after a rebate we received from the drug company based on our income. We then later found out we needed to do frozen transfer which is an additional $1690. I have been told that if our first frozen cycle does not result in a live birth, Kaiser will cover a second frozen transfer for us.
Dr. Vu made it clear he likes, one healthy baby and one healthy mama. I originally went in with the idea that I wanted to transfer 2, he stressed his recommendation that because I am younger and very healthy he would only transfer one at a time to avoid complications during pregnancy. I am also pre-diabetic so he especially urged one embryo transfer.
Sacramento

Dr Cookingham is very personable... She has great bedside manor. Puts you at ease. She knows about the process and can answer any questions. Make you feel like she cares and knows you and your particular issues well.... The day of the procedure I was nervous but the main person to put me at ease was Dr. Cookingham. She is great and the main reason for me choosing her clinic to go with for this procedure.
They [Kaiser] were understanding of my work schedule and was able to work out the schedule of appointments perfectly.... Clean and friendly staff were there for me. Just one or two nurses were less caring than the others which may be to be expected out of the whole staff. They were the ones that went over the paperwork and how to do the injections I would have liked a little more attention on that day to feel very confident in doing the injections.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
She has great bedside manor. Puts you at ease. She knows about the process and can answer any questions. Make you feel like she cares and knows you and your particular issues well. Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Don’t feel afraid to ask a lot of questions and let them know your concerns.
Dr Cookingham is very personable. Some staff members hurry you at appointments because of the amount of people seen at the clinic.
Hormone injections. Blood tests. Appointments every few days for a few weeks. Need a few days after procedure to recover.
Most nursing staff were very friendly and caring. Especially front desk blood retrieval waiting staff and office nurses. They were friendly and attentative. I like to ask lots of questions for clarity on especially my injection schedule and I have never done an injection before. There were one or two nurses that made me feel they could not relate to me having to do this for the first time. Down playing it and saying it’s easy is good but should meet my concerns with care.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
They were understanding of my work schedule and was able to work out the schedule of appointments perfectly. I took about 2 Weeks off during the injections and after the procedure. I did a lot of driving from the Peninsula to Sacramento for the treatment and they were very understanding of my commute. Clean and friendly staff were there for me. Just one or two nurses were less caring than the others which may be to be expected out of the whole staff. They were the ones that went over the paperwork and how to do the injections I would have liked a little more attention on that day to feel very confident in doing the injections. But I was given loads of information and resources to help me as well. The day of the procedure I was nervous but the main person to put me at ease was Dr. Cookingham. She is great and the main reason for me choosing her clinic to go with for this procedure.
8,000 plus 5,000 for medications.
Sacramento

I have rheumatoid arthritis that is in medicated remission. I knew that I was going to have trouble getting pregnant because nothing with my body is easy at all. She [Dr. Lisa Cookingham] recommended doing ovulation predictor kits first for 3 months then clomid and then iui with clomid then letrozole then menopur. I was getting a lot of eggs but no preganacy not even once.
Well kaiser has their NP’s do their iui’s so I only saw her for these. The other nurse is Bonnie Brown. She explained some things to me like how to use injectables.... They are very rigid in their protocol. Dismissed my questions about other hormonal testing like progesterone. I had to beg to have emdometrin for my last iui. I had to wait one time to get a prescription for almost an hour.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
She was nice but I had a lot of questions that I felt were brushed off. The protocol in kaiser is very rigid and it makes adaptability for different patients difficult. I felt like just a number. It’s a very difficult time and there wasn’t much compassion felt.
Be prepared to have to ask questions that might not be answered.
I felt like I was annoying them with all my questions.
I have rheumatoid arthritis that is in medicated remission. I knew that I was going to have trouble getting pregnant because nothing with my body is easy at all. She recommended doing ovulation predictor kits first for 3 months then clomid and then iui with clomid then letrozole then menopur. I was getting a lot of eggs but no preganacy not even once.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Martyn)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I could always get an appointment. Their rigid protocols make you feel like a number. They’re not as compassionate as I would’ve liked. The medical assistant has been pregnant twice since I started going there and it’s like a slap in the face and she wasn’t nice.
I had two insurances while seeing the clinic in Vacaville kaiser. I paid for copay for iui and ultrasounds. My medication were discounted but ended up being 2000.
She prefers only one embryo transfer. Because twins have a low mortality rate and complications.

PCOS, Unexplained
I love the nurses there [Kaiser-Sacramento]. Some of them I get to chat to while I wait and others I only get to see for a second while they set up the room or while the Dr does the procedure/exam.... My Husband had a false positive result come back and we were told it was run through a second time and came back negative. We signed the paperwork that stated results were negative, provided by the staff, and continued treatment. It wasn't until our 4th iui that the Dr doing the iui mentioned we had a positive result and she didn't feel comfortable doing the iui with the paperwork provided. My husband was upset because we were told he was fine to continue treatment and there was nothing to worry about by previous staff and the Doctor didn't seem happy because there was a huge oversight.
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Sae Sohn at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
I have been having issues with my cycles and wanted answers. Dr. Sohn took the time to meet with me and do a sonogram after speaking with me about my treatment plan and future course of treatment in his office. My sonogram did not present the best news and only confirmed what I've always known but never had confirmed. Him taking the time to not only confirm my fears but give me options as to what we will do for my next iui's made me feel much more at ease. I did find out that I only have 2 more chances before I have to move on to IVF but he gave me options there as well. I have been told by other doctors in the clinic I had to do 4-6 iui's with the same medication and then could move on to a more aggressive route, that I could do unlimited iui's. To realize I wasted 4 on one treatment plan broke my heart but It wasn't his fault as I have seen a different doctor almost every time I go there. Seeing him, the Director and getting definitive answers plus options made the day not as heartbreaking as I would have thought. He was kind and compassionate and I cant wait to go back to see him again for my next iui.
Don't be scared. I was so scared to go in there and get bad news, but I left feeling hopeful.
Dr. Sohn took the time to meet with me and evaluate me, give me more information than I was provided by any other Dr's at that clinic. He was compassionate but matter of fact and his deliverance of the bad news I received was very good. I didn't feel like a failure or like giving up. He gave me options and spoke to me like he understood where I was coming from and what I was going through.
I decided to take a break after doing 4 iui's to lose weight and see if that would help. During my break my cycles were super wonky. I went in to meet with him because I knew once I was ready to do my iui's again, I didn't want anything standing in my way. He confirmed some fears I had which was I am not ovulating and my left ovary is not producing follicles. He gave me options of trying birth control to regulate my cycles or fertility medication to make me ovulate which would then result in me having a cycle. Since we have been on a 4 month "mental health" (we all know this journey is a roller coaster) break, we decided not to take anything. I do have the option of changing my mind though. He was very helpful in helping me understand the next steps in my journey and what I can do to help prepare for them.
I love the nurses there. Some of them I get to chat to while I wait and others I only get to see for a second while they set up the room or while the Dr does the procedure/exam.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I have really enjoyed the experience I have had here over my last clinic, however, I feel like they should all be on the same page. At first I was told I only had 6 iui cycles, then that I had unlimited, and again that I had only 6. Some Doctors were adamant about me doing 4-6 cycles with the same medication before going the more aggressive route. I decided to take a break over the holidays when our 4th iui failed in November. Thank God I did because had I not, I would have already used the last two cycles. Dr. Sohn helped me come up with a game plan my last visit that gives me hope for my next two cycles and that even my next may be successful.
My Copay is $30
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
My Husband had a false positive result come back and we were told it was run through a second time and came back negative. We signed the paperwork that stated results were negative, provided by the staff, and continued treatment. It wasn't until our 4th iui that the Dr doing the iui mentioned we had a positive result and she didn't feel comfortable doing the iui with the paperwork provided. My husband was upset because we were told he was fine to continue treatment and there was nothing to worry about by previous staff and the Doctor didn't seem happy because there was a huge oversight. The Doctor came back after a good 30 minutes and said she would do it but that we just had to sign a document saying our results were positive but we still wanted to continue treatment. That was a nightmare day on top of almost not even being able to make the appointment due to my husbands work schedule. I'm thankful the Doctor didn't cancel but because of other's mistakes, I was sitting on that table naked from the waist down wondering if my treatment was even going to happen.
Sae Sohn

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
I felt like dr Vu really listened to my concerns and answered all my questions. We built a great repertoire with Dr. Vu...He’s very funny and has a great sense of humor. The longer you work with him the more comfortable the relationship gets. He is extremely professional and works quickly, but will take the time to address questions and concerns at anytime if you have them. He will answer them so you can understand and use analogies to further explain his answer.
The nursing staff [at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento] is friendly and caring and will answer any questions you have...We paid about $10,300 for IVF, icsi was about $1600. Meds were about $5500...They sometimes run behind, but they are very nice and friendly. They are very busy. They have this all down to a science and they run like a well oiled machine. You do have to call and leave a message with your nurse, and they will call you back. It is hard to get a live person, but that’s because they’re so busy. They are extremely good about calling you back quickly
European, East Asian, Ashkenazi Jewish
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
He is an extremely knowledgeable and honest doctor. He will be straight forward and direct and not sugarcoat things. I like that about him. He’s very funny and has a great sense of humor. The longer you work with him the more comfortable the relationship gets. He is extremely professional and works quickly, but will take the time to address questions and concerns at anytime if you have them. He will answer them so you can understand and use analogies to further explain his answer.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions or connect with him and ask him how his weekend was or something like that. He is an extremely nice man. He works for a corporation that works him hard and he has to be quick because of that. But it doesn’t negate that he is extremely smart and knows what he is talking about.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Laurel)
The nursing staff is friendly and caring and will answer any questions you have.
We paid about $10,300 for IVF, icsi was about $1600. Meds were about $5500
He let me decide but gave his opinion on what we should do.
Sacramento

She [Dr. Cookingham] knew my chart and what we and was not done before we ever met with her. During our consultations she asked what would work for us and for our life, and what we were ok with.... She always had my best interest at heart. We discussed in length what we were ok and not ok with, and we set goals, and everything she did with our treatment was with our goals in mind. She always kept me up to date on labs, and if they were back in a timely manner she would let me know that, and that she was still on a look out for them. She took an interest in our lives and made sure the care she provided matched it.
It's kaiser, so everything is by protocol, which means you have very little wiggle room. It would have been nicer to have more of a variety of options for treatment times to start, but that's not what my doctor was scheduled for.... It was an array of nurses as they all only work part time. It took a while when I called for the nurse I would speak to to know what my treatment plan was.... $12,000 for IVF with ICSI. $4,095 for medications.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Be prepared for honest information. She's not going to purposely hyperstim you to get this grand number of eggs, she's going to focus on getting you a good number of quality eggs and turning them into quality embryos.
She knew my chart and what we and was not done before we ever met with her. During our consultations she asked what would work for us and for our life, and what we were ok with.
Gonal in the morning, and menopur at night for 14 days with her adjusting doses at each appointment. Added Centrotide on day 9 for 5, and triggered the night of day 15.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
$12,000 for IVF with ICSI. $4,095 for medications.
She left it up to us, but knowing our diagnosis and having to pay cash, and knowing the risks of twins we decided to do it.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Differening opinions on how to give meds
Sacramento

I thought Dr Vu was extremely professional at all times, he is straight forward and we both appreciated those qualities. Secondly, he was very compassionate and offered realistic aspects of hope for our situation.... Understand that Dr Vu is not going to sugar coat the facts, he wants you to have a clear understanding of your chances to the best of his knowledge. Once you realize that aspect, everything else falls into place.
We are happy with Kaiser... something a new patient would want to know about kaiser is that you can not move forward until you pay. Once you pay you can then get on a waiting calendar depending on how many people sign up ahead of you , you may have to wait a month to get on a cycle... they have certain protocols that are outlined very specifically and there is not much you can do about them....
European, East Asian
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
He was very nice, straight to the point, and at all times i felt like i was with a professional who was being honest with us
Off the top of my head I do not, it was a long process. But I can say that I checked, and double checked everything we went through (with secondary resources) and at every point Dr Vu was explaining was right on point. Anytime we had a question, he was very thorough in the details of his responses
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
We used Kaiser, they are a corporate entity. Professional, they have certain protocols that are outlined very specifically and there is not much you can do about them. We are happy with Kaiser... something a new patient would want to know about kaiser is that you can not move forward until you pay. Once you pay you can then get on a waiting calendar depending on how many people sign up ahead of you , you may have to wait a month to get on a cycle
Kaiser costs 15k
To know knowledge he did not, it was more adapt as you go kinda of approach. The more information he had (the further into the process) dictated which way the process would go.