1600 Eureka Road
707-624-3215

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
1 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
He [Dr. Hatasaka] is one of the most compassionate doctors I have ever had. Listens to his patients and you never feel rushed off...He is extremely through with all of his explanations of procedures and let’s you be a part of it as much as you want...Dr. Hatasaka is very against transferring more than 1 embryo to avoid having complications of twins...He has provided many options to us and he always reassures me that we will bring home a healthy baby one of these days...
Most of the nurses [at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento] are excellent. My account got lost in the shuffle and I almost had to cancel my transfer because they forgot about my case or it got lost. They did make it up to me but my protocol was a bit off...Strengths are this clinic is very reasonably priced if you are already a Kaiser member. They do everything to help you with offsetting the costs with grants and programs that are available. Weaknesses: you don’t always see your doctor that your under. There is a lot of room for miscommunications because of that....
How was your experience with Harry Hatasaka at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Hatasaka is extremely knowledgeable with over 30 years of experience. He is one of the most compassionate doctors I have ever had. Listens to his patients and you never feel rushed off. As a patient, I have gone through a lot medical wise and he understood that aspect of my care. He is extremely through with all of his explanations of procedures and let’s you be a part of it as much as you want. Dr. Hatasaka has been a reproductive doctor for over 30 years which is a lot of time in a practice. I truly believe he will make our dreams come true in one way or another. He is as determined as we are. He has provided many options to us and he always reassures me that we will bring home a healthy baby one of these days. He truly is such a great doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Harry Hatasaka at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Ask questions :) he will answer all of them for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Harry Hatasaka at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Very nice doctor. Explains everything well.
Describe the protocols Harry Hatasaka used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento and their degree of success.
I have not been under Dr. Hatasaka for very long. I cannot say much to the procedures he has because I only went through 1 transfer with him.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Most of the nurses are excellent. My account got lost in the shuffle and I almost had to cancel my transfer because they forgot about my case or it got lost. They did make it up to me but my protocol was a bit off.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Harry Hatasaka at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
$4500
Describe Harry Hatasaka's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
My doctor (Sara Gilbert) was on her way out of the clinic who I was under. I was already set to do a transfer and somehow I got lost in the shuffle and forgot about. I had already paid for my transfer and no one contacted me about my protocol until I called and it was almost too late. Truly think this was a reason my transfer didn’t work.
Harry Hatasaka

2022, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Moy] answered all my questions and had a good bedside manner. As a clinic I feel kaiser has their physicians treat every case exactly the same rather than individually. Their physicians do the best they can with what they are allowed to do...She was kind and answered all my questions...[brief protocol] Letrozole with trigger and an IUI.
You typically have to call and leave messages [at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento], there isn’t always someone answering phones during business hours. They were great at calling back within a efficient amount of time. But your aren’t allowed to do back to back treatments you are only allowed to do them every other month. Their rooms are small so even though during covid they are allowing visitors in most other departments they refuse to allow partners to be there with you.
How was your experience with Vicky Moy at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
She answered all my questions and had a good bedside manner. As a clinic I feel kaiser has their physicians treat every case exactly the same rather than individually. Their physicians do the best they can with what they are allowed to do.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Vicky Moy at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Ask all of the questions she is knowledgeable and will answer any of them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Vicky Moy at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
She was kind and answered all my questions.
Describe the protocols Vicky Moy used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento and their degree of success.
Letrozole with trigger and an IUI.
Efficient.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
You typically have to call and leave messages there isn’t always someone answering phones during business hours. They were great at calling back within a efficient amount of time. But your aren’t allowed to do back to back treatments you are only allowed to do them every other month. Their rooms are small so even though during covid they are allowing visitors in most other departments they refuse to allow partners to be there with you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Vicky Moy at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
My insurance covers 50% so each IUI with letrozole and trigger was about $325.
Vicky Moy

2020, Consult
I was having surgery to remove stage IV endometriosis...[Dr. Gilbert] also wanted to schedule a cavity examination to see if there was anything that could potentially be a barrier for implantation...if there was anything that needed to be removed, it could be done all at once so I didn’t have to go under anesthesia twice and surgery twice...assured me she was very good at what she does and made me feel at ease with the potential plan.
treated with the utmost respect and dignity throughout this process. The clinic [Kaiser Permanente Sacramento] made my husband feel very included and always asked if he had any questions...made it a point to accommodate his schedule when scheduling my egg retrieval...gave us privacy when we needed to discuss some options pertaining to our embryos...[Dr. Gilbert] Seems like a great doctor to be on my side...
How was your experience with Sara Babcock Gilbert at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Gilbert’s strength is that she is a great listener and makes sure your concerns are heard and understood. I have only met with her once because my primary fertility doc left her practice. She transferred care to Dr. Gilbert who plans on doing my FET. The experience that I had with her so far is great. She was pregnant when I had my consultation, my plan was to do a transfer 2 months after my 3rd endometriosis surgery. She was open with me that she would be on maternity leave but explained her colleague could do the transfer but she would be in charge of my protocol. She assured me she was very good at what she does and made me feel at ease with the potential plan.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sara Babcock Gilbert at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
To ask as many questions and/or concerns you have because she will listen and take what you say into account.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sara Babcock Gilbert at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Gilbert was very friendly and had great bedside manner. She explained what her plan was moving forward with a transfer and showed me my embryo grades. She asked me if I had any questions or concerns and could contact her anytime. Seems like a great doctor to be on my side.
Describe the protocols Sara Babcock Gilbert used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento and their degree of success.
I only consulted with Dr. Gilbert, but she explained to me what her protocol plan was for me. Since I was having surgery to remove stage IV endometriosis, she said i needed to be on birth control for those few weeks of healing before my protocol started so that we could keep the estrogen down. She also wanted to schedule a cavity examination to see if there was anything that could potentially be a barrier for implantation. She actually wanted to do this before my surgery so that if there was anything that needed to be removed, it could be done all at once so I didn’t have to go under anesthesia twice and surgery twice. She seems like she truly cares about her patients. I found her suggestion helpful and logical.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Monica Coltharp)
We have worked with Monica from the beginning and she is amazing. My husband is a police officer and she made it a point to accommodate his schedule when scheduling my egg retrieval. She thanked him for his service and was very nice. Monica made a point to be clear on all paper work and gave us privacy when we needed to discuss some options pertaining to our embryos Incase of death. Monica was amazing.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I don’t have any weaknesses with the clinic so far. I have had an amazing experience with this clinic and all staff. I have truly felt like my husband and I have been treated with the utmost respect and dignity throughout this process. The clinic made my husband feel very included and always asked if he had any questions. I absolutely have nothing bad to say about this clinic so far.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sara Babcock Gilbert at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
$4300 was the estimate they gave me for the transfer and meds. She was open with me that depending on the medication costs, could be more or less.
Describe Sara Babcock Gilbert's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
In the clinic I attend, they only do eSET’s unless your over a certain age. Since I am only 33, she told me she would only do 1 embryo at a time.
Sara Babcock Gilbert
Sacramento

Doctor Sara is very thorough with explaining all aspects of infertility. I haven’t had too much time with her. Mainly her NPs. But I am looking forward to continue under her care. I have never felt uncared for, and all my questions and concerns are always answered. ... After my consultations I was started with as many as 6 medicated cycles along with my IUI for my last medicated cycle. I conceived on my first round but sadly ended in a miscarriage.
The strength for this clinic [Kaiser Permanente] is high. I honestly have no bad experiences here. They are all so nice and I would refer anyone here. ... I always felt so loved, welcomed and cared for at this clinic. I obviously haven’t received my ultimate want yet but I know through their care I have the best odds ...
Realizing that Dr Sara is a human too and is trying her best to care for all her patients.
After my consultations I was started with as many as 6 medicated cycles along with my IUI for my last medicated cycle. I conceived on my first round but sadly ended in a miscarriage. As I continued on I was closely monitored through my cycles with ultra sounds along with urine and pregnancy tests before my appointments. They were cautious with medications and I know did they best they could. I am now continuing on with IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: NP Sharma NP Cookingham )
I saw NP Sharma the most at this clinic. I truly have so many kind words for her. She was very compassionate , explained everything very well and always made me feel like a friend and not just an infertility patient. I had many questions throughout my treatments there and I always was responded to in a timely manner. I honestly enjoy seeing the many nurses and have never had a bad experience; from the front desk to MD
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
The strength for this clinic is high. I honestly have no bad experiences here. They are all so nice and I would refer anyone here. Besides not getting a baby yet, and the clinic being a little far from home. I have no weaknesses to share.
I don’t have an exact number through the years but infertility is never cheap.
Sara Babcock Gilbert

3 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
It seemed as if Dr. Vu did not read my chart or was distracted during my IUI cycles. He was uninformed of my cervical issues and prescribed me the wrong medication during one of my cycles. It was very clear that he was too busy, which I feel was a reflection of Kaiser's protocols and not necessarily a reflection of their staff's care style.
Kaiser's Fertility Department was a rough experience. The clinic is expensive compared to other clinics. Support is limited and not personalized. Staff are overbooked and my appointments were always late. They were unorganized and continued to recommend IUI's when I should have transitioned to IVF, wasting my time and taking away from retrieving eggs while I was younger. I would not recommend them to anyone.
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
I was a patient of Dr. Vu's while he was preparing to retire from Kaiser. He clearly had one foot out the door. He kept recommending that I do IUI's, giving me a total of 7 medicated IUI cycles. Looking back, I wish that he would have recommended IVF much sooner because he wasted a lot of my time. He gave me the wrong medication during one cycle and I was overstimulated, causing my cycle to be canceled. He is a kind man but I felt their was a lack of care and concern.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Advocate for yourself. Do research on medications and doses before taking.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
The team is clearly exhausted from being under staffed and overscheduled. Kaiser has unrealistic expectations and rushes appointments, limiting time for questions or personal interactions. The staff are kind. During a difficult transfer one of the nurses held my hand and was very empathetic.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
The Doctor prescribed the wrong medication. This caused me to have 8 eggs during an IUI cycle and the cycle had to be canceled. Months later that same Doctor told me that we should have done an IVF egg retrieval instead during that cycle because I had responded well to the medication. It is upsetting to hear that kind of recommendation when it is clearly way too late.

1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
2 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Lisa is very knowledgeable in her field. She has excellent bed side manners and is very honest/blunt but open to trying things. I appreciate her ability to explain things in layman's terms. I do wish she foupd have been at more of my appointments though...I have very productive ovaries for my age, which Lisa knew how to work with as far as drugs administered. My challenge is that the drug combo that got me pregnant once (but miscarried) also made my ovaries over respond on the next attempt
New clean facility. Easy communication/reliable responsiveness. The ultrasound equipment used is not very clear, nurse performing exam even comments on it. Inconvenient that [Kaiser Permanente] won't store donor frozen sperm, not even for a day or a few minutes. You must ship donor sperm to home and bring with you to insemination and bring tank back to your car/fedex after.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Just be honest with her and take things she says with a grain of salt so to speak. Your gut feelings are important too.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr Cookingham is very personable. She communicates like she knows you well and is very good at explaining things in layman's terms.
Describe the protocols Lisa Cookingham used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento and their degree of success.
I have very productive ovaries for my age, which Lisa knew how to work with as far as drugs administered. My challenge is that the drug combo that got me pregnant once (but miscarried) also made my ovaries over respond on the next attempt. So the following cycles have been not right feeling because she modified my drugs. Still trying to work out a new drug plan for my body.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie kurata)
Stephanie was organized, timely, followed through with what she said and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
New clean facility. Easy communication/reliable responsiveness. The ultrasound equipment used is not very clear, nurse performing exam even comments on it. Inconvenient that kaiser won't store donor frozen sperm, not even for a day or a few minutes. You must ship donor sperm to home and bring with you to insemination and bring tank back to your car/fedex after.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Insured so only copays for iui and medication
Vacaville

IUI With Other Docs
Vicky [Dr. Moy] took the time to discuss out initial test results, what they meant and our treatment options. Together, we were able to come up with a plan for our infertility treatments and I left the appointment feeling comfortable that we were in such good hands, despite how emotionally difficult this time can be. Infertility is a sensitive subject, and she was very open, direct and caring towards us...we have committed to doing IUI cycles for 3-4 cycles before moving onto IVF if necessary.
The nursing staff [at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento] were very pleasant and patient. Everyone seemed to work well together and the office ran smoothly with appointment times and getting patients in the back. The office was calm, soothing and everyone was extremely sensitive to the difficulties of infertility...The office was easy to find, kept calm and quiet, clean...the timelines seemed very realistic...So far, we have committed to doing IUI cycles for 3-4 cycles before moving onto IVF if necessary. We are doing IUI with Clomid and I am going to do 2 cycles without the trigger shot and then 2 cycles with the HCG trigger shot if necessary. We have gone in for our initial consultation, and I start my first IUI cycle in a few weeks.
How was your experience with Vicky Moy at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Vicky Moy was very personable and patient when explaining our infertility issues. Even though both my husband and I are in the medical field, we are limited understanding when it comes to infertility and the possible infertility treatments possible. Vicky took the time to discuss out initial test results, what they meant and our treatment options. Together, we were able to come up with a plan for our infertility treatments and I left the appointment feeling comfortable that we were in such good hands, despite how emotionally difficult this time can be. Infertility is a sensitive subject, and she was very open, direct and caring towards us.
Have all of your infertility testing for you and your partner done prior to your initial appointment. In addition, it's really important you and your partner are present in order to discuss your results and treatment options together. Many times, women go alone to the initial appointment but I thought having my husband there hear the information firsthand from Vicky was helpful.
Vicky sat down with both my husband and I for over an hour in her office to go over our initial fertility testing that Kaiser had order prior to our appointment. Though both my husband and I are both in the medical field, we have limited understanding of infertility and Vicky took the time to explain everything to us. She was patient with us the entire appointment, and never made us feel rushed like she had another patient waiting. She laid all the options out on the table, and gave us her medical advice, but in the end let us decide what the best options are for our family and our fertility goals. She approached the appointment like we were more than another number in her clinic, and that was very important to us when finding a doctor. In addition, after the appointment, she sent me an email detailing everything we had discussed and the steps moving forward because it can be difficult to remember everything after an information filled and emotionally filled appointment.
The nursing staff were very pleasant and patient. Everyone seemed to work well together and the office ran smoothly with appointment times and getting patients in the back. The office was calm, soothing and everyone was extremely sensitive to the difficulties of infertility.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Overall, I would recommend this clinic to a friend because of the staff and Dr. Moy. The office was easy to find, kept calm and quiet, clean. The nursing staff were friendly and ran everything efficiently. I have not had a treatment at the office yet, but the timelines seemed very realistic. The doctor was personable, and never rushed the appointment, making you feel like you were the most important person in the room. It felt very personable, and not like you were just another number they had to get to that day. She also allows you to email her and will get back to your within 24 hours, even on the weekends to answer questions or if you have any concerns during treatment. I think the accessibility to my doctor will become more and more important as I progress through my infertility treatments.
Infertility costs are covered 50% by our insurance, up until IVF treatment. IVF is estimated to cost $15-24,000 for the first cycle and an additional $5-6,000 a cycle thereafter. Genetic testing is extra, and additional medications are not covered.
Describe Vicky Moy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
My doctor has recommended an eSET for a singleton pregnancy because that is what is safest for the mother and baby. She prefers to do it that way, but in the end lets the couples decide what is best for their family planning.
Vicky Moy

Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Vu is very personable, is patient with questions and spent as much time as I needed to explain the information I needed...He seemed A little overwhelmed every time I see him but went out of the way to try to put me at ease with my concerns and questions. I would recommend him, most of my interactions have been with his medical assistants and nurses though. He seems lake a very knowledgeable man with many years of experience
I was supposed to start my birth control and that I would receive my IVF calendar [from Kaiser Permanente] on the following week. I did get my calendar within a day however the calendar was for the following month and I was not informed but I needed to stop taking my birth control for three days...I wish the staff had a smaller work load of patients so they could give more focused individual care. I will note that every time I call they ended up talking to a different nurse. And when I got my prescription calendar it was not clear to me as to when to take my medications. It wasn’t communicated to me until after the fact when I was supposed to have stopped taking them. Pay very close attention to your medication calendar. It’s your responsibility to make sure you’re taking and stopping them when needed. I just figured someone would have told me.
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Vu is a great doctor. He seemed A little overwhelmed every time I see him but went out of the way to try to put me at ease with my concerns and questions. I would recommend him, most of my interactions have been with his medical assistants and nurses though. He seems lake a very knowledgeable man with many years of experience
Have a list of questions that you want to ask prepared before your visit
Describe the protocols Kenneth Vu used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento and their degree of success.
I am in the middle of my IVF process with dr vu. We are doing a frozen embryos cycle
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
It cost Over 20,000 out of pocket
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I was supposed to start my birth control and that I would receive my IVF calendar on the following week. I did get my calendar within a day however the calendar was for the following month and I was not informed but I needed to stop taking my birth control for three days in the car at Matt. I didn’t find out that I was supposed to have a break on my birth control until I had my appointment to go over my medication schedule. She said oh, you didn’t take a break in the air birth control? I I was never told that I needed to do that. Apparently it was in very small print on the top of the calendar in acronyms.
Sacramento

As a patient I feel like Dr. Vu just doesn't have the time to help me/thoroughly review my case. I think he is very knowledgeable and kind. I appreciate his honesty and do think that he is an expert in his field, just suffering from physician burn out. ... I definitely feel rushed in/rushed out. I do not feel like he takes the time to review my results with me or goes into detail about the game plan. ...
Kaiser NEEDS more than one doc. The nursing staff is awesome but the clinic cannot function with one doc, which is why I am switching clinics for IVF. I think the strengths is that they are super nice, responsive, and are very compassionate. ... It is VERY hard to get an appointment ... I think they also need to do a better job with their financial coordinators and how the info is delivered to the patient. I just had someone call me and told me I needed to pay thousands of dollars asap with out much detail, which was frustrating.
You have to be very patient and ok with 4 word e-mail replies
Dr. Vu is the only doc right now that Kaiser has in the Sacramento area. I definitely feel rushed in/rushed out. I do not feel like he takes the time to review my results with me or goes into detail about the game plan. Dr. Vu is very nice and very honest, I just feel like he is so overwhelmed that he doesn't have the time he needs for these appointments.
I decided not to pursue IVF with Dr. Vu and to go to a different clinic. Dr. Vu just did my IUI's and they were pretty simple.
The nursing staff at Kaiser is awesome, they have always been super nice and compassionate towards me. They also return calls/e-mails promptly. Just trying to get time with the doc was difficult.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Kaiser NEEDS more than one doc. The nursing staff is awesome but the clinic cannot function with one doc, which is why I am switching clinics for IVF. I think the strengths is that they are super nice, responsive, and are very compassionate. The weaknesses are that they have one one doctor. It is VERY hard to get an appointment, especially an appointment that fits well in the patient's schedule. They also have a five month waiting period for anyone that has not had an IVF consultation yet with the doctor, so I can only imagine how frustrating that is for new patients. I think they also need to do a better job with their financial coordinators and how the info is delivered to the patient. I just had someone call me and told me I needed to pay thousands of dollars asap with out much detail, which was frustrating.
I was quoted about 17k for IVF and 6-9k for meds. My IUI's and infertility treatment was covered.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
The clinic told me that I needed to fill out consent paperwork twice, but I had already had 3 IUI's at that point, so I had definitely already filled out the consent paperwork.
Sacramento

Dr Vue knows a lot in his field , however , he doesn’t explain infertility or IVF to the best of my understanding or my husbands . It was all explained very clinically . This is all new to us . We have been dealing with infertility for 4 years and he didn’t have any real reason why I wasn’t getting pregnant . He showed very little compassion and kind of hurried through the appointment
Unfortunately the IUI never happened as planned because the department who oversaw my husbands labs failed to tell us , the day before my procedure, that they expired 3 months prior. ... If this is the hospital and department [Kaiser Permanente] you want to go to make sure to be your own advocate. Tell them your symptoms and ask lots of questions. They are very helpful when it comes to moving forward, next steps
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Make sure you do your research on all things related to infertility/IVF. He is a very busy doctor so be sure to keep your appointments with him and ask as many questions necessary
He made it clear he was a very VERY busy doctor with many patients in many parts of Northern California and that a lot of his emails are handled by his MA’s
Dr . Vue prescribed Menopure to me with ovidril. It was my last treatment of both due to the number of times I am able to do it , with a scheduled IUI. Unfortunately the IUI never happened as planned because the department who oversaw my husbands labs failed to tell us , the day before my procedure, that they expired 3 months prior.
I have been with this particular nursing staff at Kaiser Roseville for almost 4 years .. while they show compassion, they are also very clinical .. never really offering advice or things to try(other than eating healthy and exercising)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Kaiser is a global giant. They are busy busy 24/7. If this is the hospital and department you want to go to make sure to be your own advocate. Tell them your symptoms and ask lots of questions. They are very helpful when it comes to moving forward, next steps
Based on my husbands insurance, ultrasounds were only $10 and medications $10-$20 However, his insurance doesn’t cover ANYTHING for IVF :(
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I was on my last round of menopure and had my 5th IUI scheduled as well as an injection with Ovidril. I took my Menopure/trigger shot and the next day was supposed to have my IUI and the nurse called to inform me that my husbands labs had expired in January ... they couldn’t move on with my procedure for an IUI and I lost out on that round of menopure .

2017 - 2019, Successful
. I always felt my opinion matered. I had forgotten to take a medication and had to have her pages at 9pm one night and she was more than happy to help me. When I wasn’t progressing on my stims like we were hoping she changed my dosage to better suite how my body was reacting. ... She always connected with me asked me how I was doing. I felt like I had a voice in my treatment and my protocol was made just for me.
Love the clinic [Kaiser Permanente] the staff is very nice. I hate the case managers phone line. I feel it is extremely difficult to get ahold of them. The office itself always answers there phone and helps as best as they can. ... The phone line is extremely hard to get a nurse the first time you call. They have you leave a voice mail and they will return your call.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
She explained everything perfectly every visit. Her clinic was an hour away from me so instead of making me drive an hour for a follow up she contacted be by phone and would follow up with any lab results. I always felt my opinion matered. I had forgotten to take a medication and had to have her pages at 9pm one night and she was more than happy to help me. When I wasn’t progressing on my stims like we were hoping she changed my dosage to better suite how my body was reacting.
You will love her!
I always felt like a human. She always connected with me asked me how I was doing. I felt like I had a voice in my treatment and my protocol was made just for me. I felt she had my best interest. Unfortunately my son passed away after he was born and the first person to call me and offer their condolences was Dr.Cookingham. She was there for me when I was struggling the most and trying to make decisions on how to move forward with my goal to bring home a baby.
We primed with birth control. I stimed for 12 days. Took Gonal F 375ui AM for 3 days then 225ui for the remaining 9. Centrotide AM days 5-12 . Menopure 3 powder vials PM day 4-12. I started Estrace AM & PM days 5-12. After egg retrieval we started PM pio infections until 10.5weeks
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Laurel )
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Love the clinic the staff is very nice. I hate the case managers phone line. I feel it is extremely difficult to get ahold of them. The office itself always answers there phone and helps as best as they can.
The cost for my fresh transfer with icsi plus medications was $19,000
Sacramento

Dr. Cookingham was compassionate and warm. She genuinely cares for her patients and our feelings. I always felt like she had my best interest at heart, and she went out of her way to be supportive throughout the process and treatment...I saw no weaknesses in this very special doctor. When I saw Dr. Cookingham, I felt like I was chatting with one of my girlfriends. She always was personable and never displayed the doctor ego. She always took her time and protected my best interest. She went out of her way to check on me when I lost my mother while going through fertility treatment, and she called me when I had a miscarriage to offer condolences. I couldn't have asked for a better doctor!
I spent about $17,000 for my IVF and medications [at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento]. My IUI's were about $900 each and the medication for each IUI was about $1,000...The fertility clinic was excellent at being responsive and ensuring I knew the next steps. They also guided me to find discounts for my medications since my treatment was completely out of pocket. When I had to bring my daughter to the appts, everyone. would. acknowledge her and showed her kindness...so kind and seemed to really enjoy their jobs. I actually missed everyone when I was no longer seeing them.
Trust her!
I was on menopur and another injectable to stimulate my ovaries, and progesterone for 10 weeks once pregnant, but I feel like I'm forgetting something. She was very adamant about the recommendation to just transfer one. embryo. She was. very polite about it, but she was very concerned about transferring more than one.
Everyone in the fertility department was. so kind and seemed to really enjoy their jobs. I actually missed everyone when I was no longer seeing them.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I spent about $17,000 for my IVF and medications. My IUI's were about $900 each and the medication for each IUI was about $1,000
Sacramento
Dr. Cookingham is an excellent and knowledgeable physician. She supported her answers to my questions by referencing studies and research which gave me confidence. Several times throughout the process she would let us know what she thought our chance of success was. I felt that her care was customized to me and she would adjust plans throughout the process based on how I was responding. At the time of my egg retrieval, she decide it was best cancel the fresh embryo transfer and convert it to a freeze all cycle in order to improve our success rate.
I never had a long wait time for appointments or labs [at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento]. At the Vacaville center, IVF patients get priority at the lab and don't have to wait in line. In the Sacramento clinic, they draw your labs in the office so there was never a long wait. Everything was very smooth...I always had to leave a voicemail but they [nurses] typically get back to you within an hour or two.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Go see her! She is the best. She is knowledgeable, talented, caring, and honest, in all the right amounts.
Dr. Cookingham is the most genuinely kind and warm hearted provider I have ever encountered. She took her time explaining everything she was doing, what she was looking for, what she was seeing, and what was going to happen next. She explained her thought process every step of the way so I always felt informed and confident in the care she was providing. It was the first time in this process I felt like I could relax because I knew she was watching out for me and had my best interest at heart. I whole heartedly trust her and her opinion.
I always had to leave a voicemail but they typically get back to you within an hour or two.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I felt confident in seeking IVF care through Kaiser because their physicians see a lot of patients for IVF and therefore become very skilled in the procedure. I never had a long wait time for appointments or labs. At the Vacaville center, IVF patients get priority at the lab and don't have to wait in line. In the Sacramento clinic, they draw your labs in the office so there was never a long wait. Everything was very smooth.
$11,300 IVF, $5,000 Meds, $3,000 Frozen embryo transfer

2016 - 2019, Successful
He [Dr. Kenneth Vu] was very kind and explained the procedure and what to expect in a way that I was able to understand and leave satisfied...I did all kinds of treatments. Clomid only. Then clomid and injections. Then all of those plus IUI. He would talk to me about the different options we could try; which ones we could combine and which ones are more risky than others.
The clinic [Kaiser Permanente Sacramento] is great as far as communication goes. That is very important. They are very clean and organized and helpful...They [nurses] call back in a timely manner and are always really nice and pleasant to speak to...I did all kinds of treatments [with Dr. Vu]. Clomid only. Then clomid and injections. Then all of those plus IUI. He would talk to me about the different options we could try; which ones we could combine and which ones are more risky than others.
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Vu was very respectful and understanding. He would encourage me every time I would ask him things like “why is it not happening?!” He would say “don’t worry sometimes it just doesn’t happen as quickly as we want it but that doesn’t mean it won’t happen at al or that we need to give up.” He was very kind and explained the procedure and what to expect in a way that I was able to understand and leave satisfied.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. He will happily answer them.
I felt like a human. He was very polite, respectful, and understanding. He encouraged me and I always left the clinic hopeful.
They call back in a timely manner and are always really nice and pleasant to speak to
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
The clinic is great as far as communication goes. That is very important. They are very clean and organized and helpful. The only thing is that their exam rooms are pretty small and will probably need remodeling or a deep clean soon.
IUI was about $250 and medications were decent priced. Not too outrageous
Describe Kenneth Vu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
I wish I knew all about other options besides ivf [from Dr. Kenneth Vu]. I also wanted to know more about making ivf more successful. I feel a lot of things were not explained and I went into ivf thinking it would work the first time which isn’t the case...I was informed to do fresh transfer with transfer on day 5 this is without a freeze all. Later they informed me it would’ve been more successful...Don’t just assume all patients want a fresh transfer that it will work...
I was informed [at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento] it’s high risk to do more than one transfer . Only 1 embryo would be on the safer side...Communication was great . Sometimes they seemed rushed for time . They were friendly and kind for the most part .i do wish they would spend more time coaching patients on what to expect with the stress of ivf...Many of my questions were answered in a rushed manner or I felt like I was taking up there time .
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
I wish I knew all about other options besides ivf. I also wanted to know more about making ivf more successful. I feel a lot of things were not explained and I went into ivf thinking it would work the first time which isn’t the case .
Sometimes it takes more than once for ivf to be a success . Don’t just assume all patients want a fresh transfer that it will work .
I was informed to do fresh transfer with transfer on day 5 this is without a freeze all . Later they informed me it would’ve been more successful
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Dr cookingham )
Compassionate and very organized and professional. They seemed like they really cared
18,000 total cost with everything
I was informed it’s high risk to do more than one transfer . Only 1 embryo would be on the safer side
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
They messed up my schedule the second time around for ivf schedule. They told me I wasn’t suppose to come in when I had to . I caught it right away and called the manger

2019, 2 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs (cancer)
[Dr. Cookingham] was incredibly personable and professional. She seemed like a high-functioning multitasker with great interpersonal communication skills...Many times I requested to slow down or start again and was ignored by all nurses and doctors...Lisa approved to continue as though the med instruction error never occurred
The general staff [at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento] were fine. Ashley was adversarial the entire time from our first phone call, to our first meeting and even email...Kaiser denied me a second round of coverage, but one glance at what happened and they magically covered me for another round...Everything seemed to always be moving quickly, but it seemed to be the nature of the work. People seemed tired, stressed, or in a hurry. In retrospect, the culture seemed overworked.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
I was seen midweek and we had a great first meeting and connected great. I was told by the staff that I'd be called later with a schedule and instructions. I later got a call confirming I'd get that info on a Friday. On Friday they called and told me a nurse would call me on Saturday... which is when I had work scheduled, so I let them know I'd do my best to answer during my shift. Nurse Ashley called late, once my high-intensity schedule already kicked into full gear. I called at the end of my shift and the nurse went nuts and screwed up the instructions. When I met nurse Ashley the next Monday she panicked, then consulted with Lisa and Lisa approved to continue as though the med instruction error never occurred. Ashley did an injection demo and waved the needle around in front of my face several times. Many times I requested to slow down or start again and was ignored by all nurses and doctors. I believe they thought everything was fine and that I should continue, but also that I was being ignorant of the situation. We only got 2 good eggs when they expected as much as approx 9. Kaiser denied me a second round of coverage, but one glance at what happened and they magically covered me for another round. I requested a referral to Fremont Kaiser IVF and was ecstatic with the results. Sac was so nervous and hectic and Fremont was so calm. Dr. Cookingham left the state shortly after, which makes sense after several conversations I had with multiple OB/GYN's, Fremont IVF and my oncology team. I wanted to appreciate the team, but considering I have Triple Negative Breast Cancer, the worst type, I'm very certain they changed the entire outcome of my cancer treatment.
Not applicable as I cannot recommend her due to my experience. I'm sad for her if there are mitigating circumstances I don't know about. But Kaiser did not disclose an ounce of info to me about any details from behind the scenes. Something or multiple things either went wrong behind-the-scenes or something looked bad enough for them to grant another round of IVF treatment at their own expense. I was offered the reassurance that "it did not fall on deaf ears" ... which says it all when you have the experience to read between the lines.
Lisa was incredibly personable and professional. She seemed like a high-functioning multitasker with great interpersonal communication skills.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Irvine)
The general staff were fine. Ashley was adversarial the entire time from our first phone call, to our first meeting and even email. It always felt so personal with her, like she needed to fight and prove a point. Sadly, I think she's one of those people that is fighting so hard to control everything that she can't see what's really happening right under her nose. When I first got on the phone with her she immediately chewed me out for not returning calls. She said I needed to know how it all works... mind you, they were supposed to call me the day before and Saturday I was already scheduled to manage a big hands-on project... There's more, like waving a needle a foot away from my face while speedily demonstrating needle injection... but you get the (needle) point by now.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Everyone except Ashley Irvine seemed completely normal and professional. Everything seemed to always be moving quickly, but it seemed to be the nature of the work. People seemed tired, stressed, or in a hurry. In retrospect, the culture seemed overworked.
$20, I have tier 1 coverage, so it covers a lot

2014 - 2019, Successful
2 Ivf over $50k [at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento]...Protocols & procedure are in place. Clean clinic. Waiting room tend to get extremely pack, they should at least play a movie for their patient while waiting. I love the fact that lab work are done in the office...[The nurses are] all amazing...[Dr. Kenneth Vu is] very open explaining the consequences of transferring multiples embryos and happy with your decision...is very thoroughly in explaining every procedure and expectations. He explain in medical term and then illustrating for you to visually to understand...he recommend treatment base on my our infertility factors. He build hat rapport with his patient which make us feel the trustworthy with DR Vu. I’m sad that he’s retiring because I stil have frozen embryos and afraid other dr not that knowledge like him.
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr Vu is amazing. He’s very compassionate & knowledge in what he does. My husband and I had consulted with Northern Cal IvF which they were over pricing because they required all testing base on their production not patients problem. Consulting with DR Vu he recommend treatment base on my our infertility factors. He build hat rapport with his patient which make us feel the trustworthy with DR Vu. I’m sad that he’s retiring because I stil have frozen embryos and afraid other dr not that knowledge like him.
Listen & follow his instructions
Dr VU is very thoroughly in explaining every procedure and expectations. He explain in medical term and then illustrating for you to visually to understand.
He advise not to throw away the gonal after one time use injections because the total 5 syringe with a little bit of left over liquid adds up for another dose. Big saving.
They’re all amazing
2 Ivf over $50k I
He’s very open explaining the consequences of transferring multiples embryos and happy with your decision
Sacramento
Dr. Vu was transparent and was kind when delivering bad news ... Dr. Vu seems knowledgeable and was compassionate. His explanation of treatment and further steps was somewhat confusing and my wife and I didn’t feel like we had a full understanding of what to expect moving forward. ... We were doing progesterone suppositories and letrazole. He only did the last 2 cycles because the previous doc very abruptly retired.
Seems like lots of turnover within the clinic [Kaiser Permanente Sacramento] and team did not explain the course of treatment aka duration (tentative treatment plan 6-12 months out). If I had to do it over again I’d be more assertive about the process ... [Nursing Staff was] Kind and compassionate and tactful ... Clinic did not take the time to explain the course/duration of treatment
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
It’s very early to tell because had a previous doc and he only did the last 2 cycles of treatment. Dr. Vu seems knowledgeable and was compassionate. His explanation of treatment and further steps was somewhat confusing and my wife and I didn’t feel like we had a full understanding of what to expect moving forward.
Make sure he explains the duration of treatment (6-12 months out).
Dr. Vu was transparent and was kind when delivering bad news
IUI. We were doing progesterone suppositories and letrazole. He only did the last 2 cycles because the previous doc very abruptly retired.
Kind and compassionate and tactful
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Seems like lots of turnover within the clinic and team did not explain the course of treatment aka duration (tentative treatment plan 6-12 months out). If I had to do it over again I’d be more assertive about the process
Each IUI and appointment was 15 bucks through kaiser (we have excellent insurance)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Clinic did not take the time to explain the course/duration of treatment
Roseville

Dr. Vu was very friend and very knowledgeable. From day one he addressed all aspects of the journey and what to expect. Dr. Vu gave you the power to make your own decisions but ensured that the decision was a knowledgable one. ... Dr. Vu was always positive and friendly. He had a very busy work load but always took time to talk with you.
Strength is that they [Kaiser Permanente Sacramento] are successful and friendly. Weakness is the amount that they cost and at times had me over order meds which costs me more money. Overall they are a great clinic [. They are very knowledgeable and share their knowledge with their patients. ... They [nurses] are available 7 days a week. They respond quickly to emails and phone calls. They are very helpful and I always had questions. They are always friendly and helpful.
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Call before you plan to start a treatment because the are booked out for months.
They very closely monitor you so that they can adjust meds according to your specific needs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: There were 5 nurses on my care team)
They are available 7 days a week. They respond quickly to emails and phone calls. They are very helpful and I always had questions. They are always friendly and helpful.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Strength is that they are successful and friendly. Weakness is the amount that they cost and at times had me over order meds which costs me more money. Overall they are a great clinic. They are very knowledgeable and share their knowledge with their patients.
It was approximately $20,000 for an IVF cycle with ICIS. This is including the medication and not including genetic testing.
They give you the power to make your own decision but will make sure that you have recieved full knowledge of any potential risks.
Sacramento

I felt like dr Vu really listened to my concerns and answered all my questions. We built a great repertoire with Dr. Vu...He’s very funny and has a great sense of humor. The longer you work with him the more comfortable the relationship gets. He is extremely professional and works quickly, but will take the time to address questions and concerns at anytime if you have them. He will answer them so you can understand and use analogies to further explain his answer.
The nursing staff [at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento] is friendly and caring and will answer any questions you have...We paid about $10,300 for IVF, icsi was about $1600. Meds were about $5500...They sometimes run behind, but they are very nice and friendly. They are very busy. They have this all down to a science and they run like a well oiled machine. You do have to call and leave a message with your nurse, and they will call you back. It is hard to get a live person, but that’s because they’re so busy. They are extremely good about calling you back quickly
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
He is an extremely knowledgeable and honest doctor. He will be straight forward and direct and not sugarcoat things. I like that about him. He’s very funny and has a great sense of humor. The longer you work with him the more comfortable the relationship gets. He is extremely professional and works quickly, but will take the time to address questions and concerns at anytime if you have them. He will answer them so you can understand and use analogies to further explain his answer.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions or connect with him and ask him how his weekend was or something like that. He is an extremely nice man. He works for a corporation that works him hard and he has to be quick because of that. But it doesn’t negate that he is extremely smart and knows what he is talking about.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Laurel)
The nursing staff is friendly and caring and will answer any questions you have.
We paid about $10,300 for IVF, icsi was about $1600. Meds were about $5500
He let me decide but gave his opinion on what we should do.
Sacramento

I love the nurses there [Kaiser-Sacramento]. Some of them I get to chat to while I wait and others I only get to see for a second while they set up the room or while the Dr does the procedure/exam.... My Husband had a false positive result come back and we were told it was run through a second time and came back negative. We signed the paperwork that stated results were negative, provided by the staff, and continued treatment. It wasn't until our 4th iui that the Dr doing the iui mentioned we had a positive result and she didn't feel comfortable doing the iui with the paperwork provided. My husband was upset because we were told he was fine to continue treatment and there was nothing to worry about by previous staff and the Doctor didn't seem happy because there was a huge oversight.
How was your experience with Sae Sohn at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
I have been having issues with my cycles and wanted answers. Dr. Sohn took the time to meet with me and do a sonogram after speaking with me about my treatment plan and future course of treatment in his office. My sonogram did not present the best news and only confirmed what I've always known but never had confirmed. Him taking the time to not only confirm my fears but give me options as to what we will do for my next iui's made me feel much more at ease. I did find out that I only have 2 more chances before I have to move on to IVF but he gave me options there as well. I have been told by other doctors in the clinic I had to do 4-6 iui's with the same medication and then could move on to a more aggressive route, that I could do unlimited iui's. To realize I wasted 4 on one treatment plan broke my heart but It wasn't his fault as I have seen a different doctor almost every time I go there. Seeing him, the Director and getting definitive answers plus options made the day not as heartbreaking as I would have thought. He was kind and compassionate and I cant wait to go back to see him again for my next iui.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sae Sohn at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Don't be scared. I was so scared to go in there and get bad news, but I left feeling hopeful.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sae Sohn at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Sohn took the time to meet with me and evaluate me, give me more information than I was provided by any other Dr's at that clinic. He was compassionate but matter of fact and his deliverance of the bad news I received was very good. I didn't feel like a failure or like giving up. He gave me options and spoke to me like he understood where I was coming from and what I was going through.
Describe the protocols Sae Sohn used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento and their degree of success.
I decided to take a break after doing 4 iui's to lose weight and see if that would help. During my break my cycles were super wonky. I went in to meet with him because I knew once I was ready to do my iui's again, I didn't want anything standing in my way. He confirmed some fears I had which was I am not ovulating and my left ovary is not producing follicles. He gave me options of trying birth control to regulate my cycles or fertility medication to make me ovulate which would then result in me having a cycle. Since we have been on a 4 month "mental health" (we all know this journey is a roller coaster) break, we decided not to take anything. I do have the option of changing my mind though. He was very helpful in helping me understand the next steps in my journey and what I can do to help prepare for them.
I love the nurses there. Some of them I get to chat to while I wait and others I only get to see for a second while they set up the room or while the Dr does the procedure/exam.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I have really enjoyed the experience I have had here over my last clinic, however, I feel like they should all be on the same page. At first I was told I only had 6 iui cycles, then that I had unlimited, and again that I had only 6. Some Doctors were adamant about me doing 4-6 cycles with the same medication before going the more aggressive route. I decided to take a break over the holidays when our 4th iui failed in November. Thank God I did because had I not, I would have already used the last two cycles. Dr. Sohn helped me come up with a game plan my last visit that gives me hope for my next two cycles and that even my next may be successful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sae Sohn at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
My Copay is $30
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
My Husband had a false positive result come back and we were told it was run through a second time and came back negative. We signed the paperwork that stated results were negative, provided by the staff, and continued treatment. It wasn't until our 4th iui that the Dr doing the iui mentioned we had a positive result and she didn't feel comfortable doing the iui with the paperwork provided. My husband was upset because we were told he was fine to continue treatment and there was nothing to worry about by previous staff and the Doctor didn't seem happy because there was a huge oversight. The Doctor came back after a good 30 minutes and said she would do it but that we just had to sign a document saying our results were positive but we still wanted to continue treatment. That was a nightmare day on top of almost not even being able to make the appointment due to my husbands work schedule. I'm thankful the Doctor didn't cancel but because of other's mistakes, I was sitting on that table naked from the waist down wondering if my treatment was even going to happen.
Sae Sohn

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
I have rheumatoid arthritis that is in medicated remission. I knew that I was going to have trouble getting pregnant because nothing with my body is easy at all. She [Dr. Lisa Cookingham] recommended doing ovulation predictor kits first for 3 months then clomid and then iui with clomid then letrozole then menopur. I was getting a lot of eggs but no preganacy not even once.
Well kaiser has their NP’s do their iui’s so I only saw her for these. The other nurse is Bonnie Brown. She explained some things to me like how to use injectables.... They are very rigid in their protocol. Dismissed my questions about other hormonal testing like progesterone. I had to beg to have emdometrin for my last iui. I had to wait one time to get a prescription for almost an hour.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
She was nice but I had a lot of questions that I felt were brushed off. The protocol in kaiser is very rigid and it makes adaptability for different patients difficult. I felt like just a number. It’s a very difficult time and there wasn’t much compassion felt.
Be prepared to have to ask questions that might not be answered.
I felt like I was annoying them with all my questions.
I have rheumatoid arthritis that is in medicated remission. I knew that I was going to have trouble getting pregnant because nothing with my body is easy at all. She recommended doing ovulation predictor kits first for 3 months then clomid and then iui with clomid then letrozole then menopur. I was getting a lot of eggs but no preganacy not even once.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Martyn)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I could always get an appointment. Their rigid protocols make you feel like a number. They’re not as compassionate as I would’ve liked. The medical assistant has been pregnant twice since I started going there and it’s like a slap in the face and she wasn’t nice.
I had two insurances while seeing the clinic in Vacaville kaiser. I paid for copay for iui and ultrasounds. My medication were discounted but ended up being 2000.
Describe Lisa Cookingham's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
She prefers only one embryo transfer. Because twins have a low mortality rate and complications.
Sacramento

Dr Cookingham is very personable... She has great bedside manor. Puts you at ease. She knows about the process and can answer any questions. Make you feel like she cares and knows you and your particular issues well.... The day of the procedure I was nervous but the main person to put me at ease was Dr. Cookingham. She is great and the main reason for me choosing her clinic to go with for this procedure.
They [Kaiser] were understanding of my work schedule and was able to work out the schedule of appointments perfectly.... Clean and friendly staff were there for me. Just one or two nurses were less caring than the others which may be to be expected out of the whole staff. They were the ones that went over the paperwork and how to do the injections I would have liked a little more attention on that day to feel very confident in doing the injections.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
She has great bedside manor. Puts you at ease. She knows about the process and can answer any questions. Make you feel like she cares and knows you and your particular issues well. Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Don’t feel afraid to ask a lot of questions and let them know your concerns.
Dr Cookingham is very personable. Some staff members hurry you at appointments because of the amount of people seen at the clinic.
Hormone injections. Blood tests. Appointments every few days for a few weeks. Need a few days after procedure to recover.
Most nursing staff were very friendly and caring. Especially front desk blood retrieval waiting staff and office nurses. They were friendly and attentative. I like to ask lots of questions for clarity on especially my injection schedule and I have never done an injection before. There were one or two nurses that made me feel they could not relate to me having to do this for the first time. Down playing it and saying it’s easy is good but should meet my concerns with care.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
They were understanding of my work schedule and was able to work out the schedule of appointments perfectly. I took about 2 Weeks off during the injections and after the procedure. I did a lot of driving from the Peninsula to Sacramento for the treatment and they were very understanding of my commute. Clean and friendly staff were there for me. Just one or two nurses were less caring than the others which may be to be expected out of the whole staff. They were the ones that went over the paperwork and how to do the injections I would have liked a little more attention on that day to feel very confident in doing the injections. But I was given loads of information and resources to help me as well. The day of the procedure I was nervous but the main person to put me at ease was Dr. Cookingham. She is great and the main reason for me choosing her clinic to go with for this procedure.
8,000 plus 5,000 for medications.
Sacramento

Dr. Vu sees a lot of patients always bouncing from one to the next. I was warned that he is very scientific about the process, “ very doctor like” and gives it to you straight, which I appreciate but others have found insensitive. All I care about is if he can get us our end result, a child.... Dr. Vu was the one that really was able to explain my husband’s infertility issues with us. We had a private consultation with Dr. Vu and he considered all of our tests and labs and let us know that IVF with ICSI were our best chance.
The nurse case managers [Kaiser Sacramento] were wonderful! They answer phone calls and emails within a few hours or by the next morning. They really take the time to explain everything and have tissues ready when needed for those emotional appointments.... The scheduling process has a long wait list sometimes for transfer or egg retrieval. It’s essentially first to pay gets a spot. So the waiting was frustrating at times. Other than that, no complaints or comments.
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Vu was the one that really was able to explain my husband’s infertility issues with us. We had a private consultation with Dr. Vu and he considered all of our tests and labs and let us know that IVF with ICSI were our best chance. He told us IUI would be a low success rate and he wouldn’t bother. I appreciated his honest opinion and after my husband and I doing our homework we agreed. Dr. Vu describes my husband’s low motility with a great analogy “you trying to get pregnant naturally is like a team of soccer players with no legs”. Honestly this analogy resonated with us and it all kind of clicked for us. My husband and I are both sports people so it was perfect for us. The only thing that I would say was frustrating was during my ultrasound appointments leading up to egg retrieval, he would come into the room and wiz through my appointment and then scoot out to the next patient. He is extremely busy and I know this, but a tiny bit more time would be calming and appreciated. At my egg retrieval he was obviously more present and explained everything to my husband and I. Have not had a transfer yet, but will schedule for later this year.
Ask all your questions!! We all have a ton going through this process, speak up he is friendly and will let you know the answer. It might be straightforward but he has the answers to most.
Dr. Vu sees a lot of patients always bouncing from one to the next. I was warned that he is very scientific about the process, “ very doctor like” and gives it to you straight, which I appreciate but others have found insensitive. All I care about is if he can get us our end result, a child. The Nurse case managers are wonderful though and really take the time to be personal and answer all of my questions. They also are able to directly get a response from Dr. Vu if I need one.
We were a make factor infertility case and I was already showing a high follicle count prior to beginning meds. He wanted to make sure that I progressed appropriately but also took into consideration that I was high risk for OHSS. He kept my meds at the minimum needed and adjusted accordingly. He ended up having us do a freeze all to try and avoid OHSS and give us the best chance for success. He wanted my body to have a natural menstrual cycle and get rid of all the medications prior to transfer the embryo.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: There was a team of Nurse Case Managers. Kathy and Laurel were the two I worked with the most.)
The nurse case managers were wonderful! They answer phone calls and emails within a few hours or by the next morning. They really take the time to explain everything and have tissues ready when needed for those emotional appointments. At my egg retrieval I was slightly anxious and ended up having an allergic reaction to a form of penicillin and my RN was so amazing and compassionate when I had to leave my husband and go to the procedure room. She held my hand until I was out under. I can not speak more highly of the nurses!!
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
We did IVF with ICSI totaling about $12,000. Our meds were an additional $3800 after a rebate we received from the drug company based on our income. We then later found out we needed to do frozen transfer which is an additional $1690. I have been told that if our first frozen cycle does not result in a live birth, Kaiser will cover a second frozen transfer for us.
Dr. Vu made it clear he likes, one healthy baby and one healthy mama. I originally went in with the idea that I wanted to transfer 2, he stressed his recommendation that because I am younger and very healthy he would only transfer one at a time to avoid complications during pregnancy. I am also pre-diabetic so he especially urged one embryo transfer.
Sacramento

Dr. Cookingham has a lot of strengths. ... She is also does IVF for cancer patients and has a lot of knowledge in oncology. ... She has been practicing for some time and has a lot of knowledge about Endometriosis and PCOS and the best treatment plans. I have stage IV Endometriosis and my husband has low sperm count so she advised us to do ICSI right from the beginning. ... I was very scared and apprehensive about the whole thing but she truly was an angel.
My costs were laid out on the consultation [Kaiser Permanente Sacramento]. She [doctor] also suggested a program which gives a discount on IVF medications. ... We saved over $5,000 on medications which made it very affordable. She also was up front with the extra costs of ICSI from the very beginning. ... The nursing staff is amazing. They all communicate well and are very accommodating. My husband is a police officer and the nursing staff wanted to make sure our egg retrieval time coincided with his work schedule.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Cookingham has a lot of strengths. She has been practicing for some time and has a lot of knowledge about Endometriosis and PCOS and the best treatment plans. I have stage IV Endometriosis and my husband has low sperm count so she advised us to do ICSI right from the beginning. We did not know my husband had low sperm count until she tested him. She went over all the blood results for both of us in the following appointment after our blood draws. She was very kind. One of the kindest doctors I have ever had. She made the IVF experience wonderful. I was very scared and apprehensive about the whole thing but she truly was an angel. She also informed me that my diagnosis of PCOS was irrelevant. She saw absolutely no signs of PCOS. I was so relieved and happy to hear that. She is also does IVF for cancer patients and has a lot of knowledge in oncology.
Trust her suggestions. She is very knowledgeable and good at what she does.
Dr. Cookingham was an amazing doctor. She throughly explained each procedure and step. She also made accomodated our egg retrieval time with an unexpected work issue my husband had. She was also very up front with the treatment options since we had issues on both sides. I appreciated her honesty yet she delivered with such kindness.
My protocol was very basic and straight forward. It did not change throughout the weeks leading up to egg retrieval other than decreasing the Lupron. I did 10 iu of Lupron then decreased it when I went off birth control to 5. I did 300 ui of Gonal F daily and menopur 1 mg shots daily. I then did the trigger after about 10 days. Very basic and staifht forward since my body was responding like it should have been. She used a basic protocol to avoid OHSS and since I did not have PCOS, this is what she suggested.
The nursing staff is amazing. They all communicate well and are very accommodating. My husband is a police officer and the nursing staff wanted to make sure our egg retrieval time coincided with his work schedule. They were very nice and I actually missed them when we were done with IVF.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I feel this clinic doesn’t really have many weaknesses other than the clinic was farther than I thought I would have to drive. To receive Dr. Cookingham’s expertise, it was well worth the traffic and distance to see her. The only downside is she is at two different clinics throughout the week. So some weeks I had to go to Vallejo and towards the end, I had to go to Sacramento. Other than that, it was a great clinic.
My costs were laid out on the consultation. She also suggested a program which gives a discount on IVF medications. This was a Godsend. We saved over $5,000 on medications which made it very affordable. She also was up front with the extra costs of ICSI from the very beginning.
I am not sure what her thoughts are since we have not done a transfer yet or talked about it with her yet.