Genetic counseling: Offered
San Diego
3250 Fordham St
San Diego, CA 92110
1-800-290-5000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kaiser Permanente SoCal to a friend?

7.1

2013 - 2019
5 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
She [Dr. Fong] listens and makes you feel like you matter. ... I didn’t get to see her much because she works primarily down in LA. But when I did see her she was always nice and very pleasant ... I felt comfortable with her. ... She showed compassion and sympathy ... She tried iui ... Make the appointment way in advance she is always booked ... I would definitely recommend Kamala she was a great NP [Kaiser Permanente].
It was the day of the Iui my np was not in and she rescheduled me with another np. The np said she would see me the next day by the time she saw me she said i should have seen her yesterday. I explained that they cancelled my appointment and rescheduled me for next day. She cancelled my Iui cycle. It was stressful. I post $3k that cycle ... The staff [Kaiser Permanente] was nice. Location was centrally located. I would definitely recommend Kamala she was a great NP.
2013 - 2019
East Asian, Latino
5 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
She listens and makes you feel like you matter. I felt comfortable with her. I didn’t get to see her much because she works primarily down in LA. But when I did see her she was always nice and very pleasant
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Make the appointment way in advance she is always booked
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
She showed compassion and sympathy
Describe the protocols Shirley Fong used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
She tried iui
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Kamala heisser )
Kamala is the best
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
It’s expensive when you don’t have fertility coverage . I really wanted something a bit more affordable. The staff was nice. Location was centrally located. I would definitely recommend Kamala she was a great NP.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
$3k per Iui cycle
Bakersfield

Dr. Ghahremani is very empathetic. She is always calm and direct. She makes us feel like a family member rather than her patients.... We are very at ease with Dr. G. She has always been so compassionate and I love her calm demeanor. It helps me not to freak out or stress about what we are doing. She’s done my last IUI and I didn’t feel a thing compared to previous ones done by her NP. We trust her and that is why we decided to do our IVF treatment with her, too.
The Kaiser clinic was always clean. Despite being always busy, everyone was friendly and sympathetic. They made it easy for us to go through what we're going through. Hard enough as it is, I'm grateful I don't have to worry about anything because they're all on top of things. The nurses go above and beyond and always a friendly....They were efficient and always on time! They also made sure we were Always comfortable and at ease. During the times I had my IUI my husband would play Friends on his phone to keep me distracted a d the team were all on board.
How was your experience with Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
If you want a doctor who shows compassion and will treat you like family rather than just one of their patients, then go see Dr. G.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the protocols Mandana Ghahremani used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
We have not started IVF. My review is based solely on our other treatments prior to IVF. We were put in clomid treatment, starting with the lowest dose and then increased over the next 3 months. All the 3 cycles partnered were with IUI and resulted in a negative pregnancy. We started with the lowest dose of Clomid on our very first treatment, which didn't make me ovulate so Dr. G increased the next dosage, which resulted to ovulation and primed for IUI. I think increasing the dosage incrementally was a safe thing to do. I was fully on board with her rationale because you wouldn't know how a patient will react to the treatment. We were given a one month break after our last clomid treatment and then started on menopur for the next 3 months. Again with IUI and all resulted in a negative pregnancy. With menopur, I was at risk for ovarian hyperstimulation so I was closely monitored for over a week on my last two cycles. Unfortunately, still not pregnant even though the risk of multiples were explained to us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Liz Vargas)
We loved the nursing team. They were efficient and always on time! They also made sure we were Always comfortable and at ease. During the times I had my IUI my husband would play Friends on his phone to keep me distracted a d the team were all on board.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
We were seen by the Kaiser Infertility Clinic team in their Downey, CA location. Dr. Ghahremani is also affiliated with a private IVF clinic in Beverly Hills. The Kaiser clinic was always clean. Despite being always busy, everyone was friendly and sympathetic. They made it easy for us to go through what we're going through. Hard enough as it is, I'm grateful I don't have to worry about anything because they're all on top of things. The nurses go above and beyond and always a friendly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser insurance covered our treatments there but for IVF we were given a range from 12k to 24k depending on what other services we would need. We will have our initial consult next no the to go over details.
Describe Mandana Ghahremani's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Not applicable.
Mandana Ghahremani
Downey

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
I felt like a human because she [Dr. Ghahremani] was very sensitive to this difficult time in our lives....Dr. G was kind and sensitive to my needs. She was available for communication whenever possible. She answered all my questions when I had them. My experience with her was overall positive. She was always booked.... She was optimistic with the Clomid, but also kept it real when she thought the doses were going to be too much for my body.
Everyone [Kaiser Permanente] was so nice. I developed a great relationship with some of the nurses. They were so sweet. After so many appointments, you get to know them. Con, nurses would get backed up. Waiting time was some 44 minutes after appointment time.... Nurse Vargas was very optimistic every time I saw her, made recommendations every time for sexual intercourse for best outcomes.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Feel free to ask as many questions as needed.
I felt like a human because she was very sensitive to this difficult time in our lives.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Liz Vargas)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Everyone was so nice. I developed a great relationship with some of the nurses. They were so sweet. After so many appointments, you get to know them. Con, nurses would get backed up. Waiting time was some 44 minutes after appointment time.
Kaiser , I was double covered through my insurance and my husbands insurance.
None
Mandana Ghahremani
Downey

During appointments he [Dr. Wong] presented information and answered all of our questions. He was reassuring and positive when he could be. At one point when delivering bad news, he was extremely blunt when it would have been nice to receive such bad news with more care and compassion.... I really had to advocate for options when we were initially told IVF was our only option. Because I pressed for other options, we saw improvement in our test results and we now have a ton of options before IVF.
The nursing staff [Kaiser Permanente SoCal] has been the best part of our whole experience. They have both been extremely compassionate, reassuring, and clear on the phone and in person. Both my husband and I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with the nursing staff in this office.... Once you have your initial appointment, much easier to get scheduled. The office staff is quick with calling back, attentive,
How was your experience with Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
He offered us whatever information we requested and was helpful in offering us whatever options were realistically available to us. I found, however, that I really had to advocate for options when we were initially told IVF was our only option. Because I pressed for other options, we saw improvement in our test results and we now have a ton of options before IVF.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Advocate for yourself. Do your own research. Ask for alternatives. Start with small steps. Get the male partner tested first before starting ANY treatments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
During appointments he presented information and answered all of our questions. He was reassuring and positive when he could be. At one point when delivering bad news, he was extremely blunt when it would have been nice to receive such bad news with more care and compassion.
Describe the protocols Kenneth Wong used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
Clomid for 2 cycles, 50 mg for 4 days starting on day 3 of the cycle. Progesterone test on day 19 of the cycle. Used to induce ovulation with PCOS. These 2 cycles were completed prior to husband being tested - once tested, we stopped with Clomid to try vitamins to increase his numbers.
The nursing staff has been the best part of our whole experience. They have both been extremely compassionate, reassuring, and clear on the phone and in person. Both my husband and I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with the nursing staff in this office.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Hard to get an appointment as an initial patient. Little coverage for insurance (as with most places). Once you have your initial appointment, much easier to get scheduled. The office staff is quick with calling back, attentive, and they don't keep you waiting to get tests completed and treatments started.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Clomid for each cycle: $5 Consult meetings: $60-$160 HSG: $600 Male Sperm Analysis: $15
Describe Kenneth Wong's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kenneth Wong
Fontana

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
The consultations and limited diagnostic tests can be very informative when you are starting out on this journey. Yet, if it is determined that you have multiple fertility issues, it is better to go to a clinic that offers a variety of services, as this clinic [Kaiser - Fontanta] offers very little services.... After the two week wait, when you call to tell them that you are NOT pregnant , they literally say, "Okay, call us with your next period." This response can be very shocking to a person who is devastated that she is not pregnant.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Even when she diagnoses you with multiple fertility issues, and you present her with the research saying that IUI is a waste of time and money and could cause additional problems like ectopic pregnancy and miscarriages, she will not directly say try other options. She will just say keep trying IUI, when you know, she knows better.
If you try fertility treatments with her and your gut keeps telling you that you need a second opinion, get a second opinion. Her energy and optimism can make you feel as though anything is possible, even when the facts about your fertility is so blatantly clear that you need more services than she can offer.
The first few sessions she provides a lot of information and suggestions for your fertility treatment. She talks fast because she is trying to give you alot of information in a short period of time, but initially you do feel like she is treating you like a human being. However, once she creates a treatment plan and you try to ask more detailed questions via email or through her staff, she provides very limited vague responses (sometimes only phrases) and does not directly answer your questions, leaving you even more confused about what next steps to take in your treatment.
With the IUI that I did, she prescribed about 50 mg of clomid as she did not want me to produce to many eggs and accidently fertilize too many eggs. She also prescribed a trigger shot that I took one or two days before my insemination. I did not get pregnant. Yet as mentioned before, she was being hopefully and not considering all the fertility issues I was presenting with.
After the two week wait, when you call to tell them that you are NOT pregnant , they literally say, "Okay, call us with your next period." This response can be very shocking to a person who is devastated that she is not pregnant. After paying hundreds of dollars to try to get pregnant with this department, all they can say is "call back with your next period." The doctor does not schedule an appointment to reassess your treatment plan and determine if it needs to be changed. You are just told to do the whole process again (if you choose) when your next period rolls around.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The consultations and limited diagnostic tests can be very informative when you are starting out on this journey. Yet, if it is determined that you have multiple fertility issues, it is better to go to a clinic that offers a variety of services, as this clinic offers very little services.
Consultations, HSGs, bloodwork, and the actual insemination procedure all cost close to $2500 for one cycle.
Describe Shirley Fong's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
In this clinic, she does not deal with embryos
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Even when you directly told them that you were concerned about your multiple fertility issues, the doctor continued to encourage their service, even when you needed more advanced services.

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
I loved Dr. Fong for her personality and relatability. She had a very calm aura and explained everything in a personable manner. I felt comfortable and trusted that I was in great hands with such a fragile experience... Dr. Fong was very relatable and listed to everything my partner and I had to say or ask, and in turn answered everything in a way we could understand but still very professionally. She went over options while keeping in mind our budget and how aggressive we could be with that monetary goal in mind.
The nursing staff [at Kaiser Fontana] was nice but did not have as much communication skills as the doctor. They did however go over the doctors notes to make sure I understood everything and let me know what to do for the next follow up appointment.... I love kaiser and wish I could keep them forever. Being as they are pricey and do not offer fertility to an outside buyer is the biggest downfall.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I loved Dr. Fong for her personality and relatability. She had a very calm aura and explained everything in a personable manner. I felt comfortable and trusted that I was in great hands with such a fragile experience. I would recommend her highly to any of my friends or family if they needed her services.
To a prospective patient, I would say there’s no reason to be scared or nervous with Dr. Fong. She is the type that actually cares about you and listens and wants to give you the best treatment possible for the outcome you want.
The nursing staff was nice but did not have as much communication skills as the doctor. They did however go over the doctors notes to make sure I understood everything and let me know what to do for the next follow up appointment
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I love kaiser and wish I could keep them forever. Being as they are pricey and do not offer fertility to an outside buyer is the biggest downfall. I was lucky enough to have 50% insurance coverage for a time enough to get to know they reproductive team
The initial consultation for me was $150.00. Without insurance it would have been $300.00. I think their pricing is normal as far as other clinics I have looked into. The quality of the doctor and having 50% covered was a big thing for me at the time
Fontana

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

Tracy Telles is very compassionate through all visits. She cares about your emotions during this process... She also tries different combinations of meds if the current ones are not working. She is open to switching them every cycle if it is needed, hoping that one combo will finally be the right one...She also administers IUI procedures with minimal pain. I’ve had other doctors perform my IUI and they have hurt me, but Telles is very gentle and quick.
Kaiser is not open on weekends so sometimes I worry that the procedures are not working because they try to do them too soon or too late for what my body really needs. It’s also hard to schedule appointments since they only have one person taking calls and scheduling and they are only open from 8:30-4:30. It’s difficult to schedule with work hours being the same...They’re [nursing staff] very friendly and always try to say positive things to keep me hopeful.
How was your experience with Tracey Telles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Tracy Telles is very nice and compassionate. She cares about your emotions throughout this stressful and sometimes heartbreaking process. She also administers IUI procedures with minimal pain. I’ve had other doctors perform my IUI and they have hurt me, but Telles is very gentle and quick. She also tries different combinations of meds if the current ones are not working. She is open to switching them every cycle if it is needed, hoping that one combo will finally be the right one.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tracey Telles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Ask her all of the questions that are on your mind. She’s very open to answering all of them to make sure you’re not left wondering anything.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tracey Telles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the protocols Tracey Telles used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
She initially prescribed me clomid and an ovidrel shot to use before an IUI procedure. I have late ovulation and therefore a short luteal cycle which the ovidrel was supposed to help with. After developing cysts from the meds, she switched me to femara and the ovidrel shot before IUI. Next, since nothing has worked so far, she put me on femara with menpur shots daily for three days and then the ovidrel shot before IUI. Waiting to see what will happen next.
They’re very friendly and always try to say positive things to keep me hopeful.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tracey Telles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I have health coverage through work so it’s around $30 copay for each visit (around 3-4 each month) and then around $200 for meds and shots.
Tracey Telles
Fontana

Dr Fong, is attentive and listened to my concerns the whole time. I never felt like she was rushing me or dismissed my concerns! She was empathetic and informative of my possible solutions. Whenever I email she immediately responds, and is very easy to get a hold of. I can’t say enough great things about her!... She presented options to me, and gave me information about next steps. Precious fertility doctor was dismissive of my concerns brought forth, but Dr Fong listened to all them and acknowledged them.
Prompt on appointments, not a long wait time. Very clean as well. Nursing staff is kind, and answers any questions you may have. It can be a tad confusing on which building because Kaiser is so large, however they send out email, mail appointment reminders prior to the appointment. The kaiser app is also very helpful... With my insurance fertility treatments are covered 50%. I pay the remaining 50% cost the day off, and I’m billed for any tests.
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
She did not dismiss my concerns. She listened to all me the whole time. I did not feel rushed during our appointment either. She presented options to me, and gave me information about next steps. Precious fertility doctor was dismissive of my concerns brought forth, but Dr Fong listened to all them and acknowledged them.
Describe any concerns and issues you’re having and she will answer them. She provides informative literature hand outs as well.
Telephone clomid. 3-6 cycles of clomid. Clomid starting at 50mg. If ovulation did not occur then increase in dosage. Have intercourse from day 9 to 21 every other day progesterone check day 21.
Prompt on responding to emails and providing instructions for the next round of clomid
Not discussed yet
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
With my first fertility doctor, not Dr Fong, my previous Dr read the wrong results. He told me I had no eggs left and the only way to get pregnant would be to use donor eggs. Then he made a comment about my age, to which I immediately corrected that I was younger than he stated. He looked at his chart, asked me my appointment time and apologized that he read the wrong results. He then pulled up my file and read my results. It was traumatizing and soon after I switched doctors and found Dr Fong
Fontana

Dr. Fong made my husband and I feel like we weren’t just another patient that goes through the office. On our first meeting we came out feeling like there was hope and unfortunately it hasn’t gone our way but Dr.Fong makes me feel in a never give up way when I see her.... She never sugar coated what I had she was very clear from day 1and I thank her for that. When I have a canceled treatment because my body wasn’t ready there was never any sense of that’s it let’s move on.
The clinic [Kaiser- Fontana] is very good they are usually very fast and really work hard to work with you. They are located next to the offices where the pregnant patients go to so it is a bit hard when your their to try to make a baby and right next to it is just a swarm of pregnant women. Other than that it is a great clinic.... They worked hard to work around you and make you feel as comfortable as they can make it. All were great.
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Fong and her staff have made me feel like there not just there because it’s their job. They do this because they wanna help. Since the first meeting to every appointment and treatment I’ve had since Dr. Fong has answered all my questions with compassion and certainty. She never sugar coated what I had she was very clear from day 1and I thank her for that. When I have a canceled treatment because my body wasn’t ready there was never any sense of that’s it let’s move on. Instead she made me feel like this time it didn’t happen but we’re not giving up, she then would proceed with what can we do better. Dr. Fong has been a great Doctor since day one of meeting her.
Listen to all her advice,she really knows what she is doing.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic is very good they are usually very fast and really work hard to work with you. They are located next to the offices where the pregnant patients go to so it is a bit hard when your their to try to make a baby and right next to it is just a swarm of pregnant women. Other than that it is a great clinic.
I am lucky enough to have a great insurance plan so I only spent money on all my medications. The only cost my insurance does not cover is IVF and it’s most likely the only way I might get pregnant.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Fong has a very soft bedside manner and seems to care, but at times it is difficult to make sure you see her at all appointments. Dr. Fong is not always available. During one cycle, neither Dr. was available and patients were told to wait until next cycle.... I had an IUI done and it was negative. Next IUI, medication was increased and my cycle had to be cancelled because I had too many follicles that were going to be released. I felt this cycle was poorly monitored
The nursing staff in the front office seem to have some sympathy and seem to care. They do try and return your call or email asap.... at Kaiser, as patients, we do not always get to see our doctors. Sometimes we are seen by another Dr. or RN, this makes me feel a little less important because I feel, I am not getting the care I deserve from one individual and there might be some miscommunication at times when there are a few people involved in my care.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Please go in with a goal. If they can not do anything for you in the first 3 months please seek other help. I feel as if I lost time and some money.
Dr. Fong has been a little more proactive than my last doctor, but at Kaiser, as patients, we do not always get to see our doctors. Sometimes we are seen by another Dr. or RN, this makes me feel a little less important because I feel, I am not getting the care I deserve from one individual and there might be some miscommunication at times when there are a few people involved in my care.
I am currently still under treatment. I was suggested 3 medicated cycles with injections. First cycle was using Menopur and dosages were increased for almost 12 days. I had an IUI done and it was negative. Next IUI, medication was increased and my cycle had to be cancelled because I had too many follicles that were going to be released. I felt this cycle was poorly monitored and there was no communication from my Dr.When I when in for the ultrasound,the RN suggested I cancel and asked why my Dr. did not bring me in earlier, it was a holiday.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Ask Dr. all the questions possible. Make them spend time with you and answer any concerns you may have. Do not let them tell you they do not have room for you when you are making appointments. Make sure nurses go over all medication with you and your partner.
My insurance covers most of my office visits, medications, and procedures.

Male Factor, Other
One of the things that I would advise future patients with dr. Park make sure you be on top of every little test that she sends you to do so you can get results quickly make sure that you can be in contact with her by email so you can get better service since Kaiser just do appointments you need to be calling just make sure that every little thing that she sent you to two do for testing it's done and send email to confirm
Every time Alma [a nurse at Kaiser] and I spoke through the phone she was very nice make sure that every little thing that needed to be communicated to me was done repeated it more than twice as if I have any questions any concerns for me to let her know and she will transfer the information to dr. Park after me getting my tube tests done I was in a lot of pain I call her make sure that If I had to take any kind of pills she said no the following day she called just wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing she gave me so much information make sure that I was doing good make sure that I was okay call me the next day to check up on me very attentive with me love the communication that I had with Alma
Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with Alice Park at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
At the beginning dr. Park was really attentive she gave us as much information as she could she gave us hope just with the whole situation of my husband going through diabetes after going to the second visit she really did not know what was going on with the visit that my husband had with the specialist she kind of told us that there was no hope because he was diabetic the only way of doing this was IVF artificial insemination was not a 100% sure she gave us 0% on success with this what I really liked about dr. Park she was willing to try doing artificial insemination even though the percentage was very low IVF was our last resource since she told us it was kind of expensive so at this point my only hope is to do IVF I still believe that we can try artificial insemination even with a lowe rate of success as I told dr. Park we've been trying for three years we've been married for three years and we've been trying to conceive naturally but since my husband is diabetic not having sperm come out I really believe that dr. Park is giving me the correct information to proceed with IVF I know IVF could be expensive in a long journey but we're willing to try every bit of Hope
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alice Park at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alice Park at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
She explained to us as much as she could .still working with us to see how much she could do for us. Chances are so small but she gave us hope.
Describe the protocols Alice Park used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
The plan to proceed for fertilization was for my husband to start taking pills to produce sperm after having test done with sperm and urine test for my husband we were going to proceed with me having artificial insemination since hast been kind of impossible for my husband to produce sperm we have not been able to do any kind of artificial insemination The Next Step she told us to do was IVF and IVF is just out of the question at this point with us we're waiting on some urine test to come back to see if they're able to do artificial insemination with the urine since sperm is going to the urine
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Alma)
Every time Alma and I spoke through the phone she was very nice make sure that every little thing that needed to be communicated to me was done repeated it more than twice as if I have any questions any concerns for me to let her know and she will transfer the information to dr. Park after me getting my tube tests done I was in a lot of pain I call her make sure that If I had to take any kind of pills she said no the following day she called just wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing she gave me so much information make sure that I was doing good make sure that I was okay call me the next day to check up on me very attentive with me love the communication that I had with Alma
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I have been with Kaiser for the past year I like the whole system that Kaiser has since everything is done in Kaiser test team lab everything that needs to be done is done there the only thing that I don't like is no walk-ins make sure we call in every time we have to see doctor Park every time we have an appointment
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alice Park at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Our cause with dr. Park was not expensive since we have insurance through my husband's work the only copies we did was $5 every time we went to visit her no lab pay the only thing that is not a cover through our insurance is IVF
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The day my husband took in his urine test to make sure if sperm was in the urine they didn't even know what to do with the urine we had to go and talk to dr. Park and dr. Park didn't know any kind of results with the urine didn't show that they received the urine so since we have been struggling with sperm every little thing that we had to show sperm it was lost nobody has called us back with urine results and still waiting for the specialist to call
Fontana
I met dr Wong one time , and during that time he was very knowledgeable and let us know our chances of becoming pregnant once he diagnosed us with unexplained infertility . He right away wanted to take action and tell us what he recommended and that was an iui. ... We completed to iui treatments with dr Wong , you had to come in on day 3 of your period get scanned to make sure everything is a go , then prescribed Clomid 50 mg to take day3- day 7 then on day 8 take a shot of 1ml fermera sub q . On day 10 go in again for another ultrasound scan and the NP would then tell you when to administer your HCG trigger shot and the date to come in for insemination
The clinic [Kaiser Permanente] is very busy just stay up to date with your appts and be your own patient advocate , don’t be scared to ask any questions and if something should be done differently . All of the staff was very friendly and took there time with answering all your questions ... I would say the only reason I felt like a number was due to the scheduling system you had to call everyday that you were on your cycle to find an available appointment time , and this was difficult for me since I was driving an hour there and back.
How was your experience with Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
That you might only get to see him one time , unless you change your course of action.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
She had wonderful bedside manner and very detailed with explanations and procedures
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic is very busy just stay up to date with your appts and be your own patient advocate , don’t be scared to ask any questions and if something should be done differently . All of the staff was very friendly and took there time with answering all your questions
About 700 dollars per iui
Kenneth Wong
Fontana

I was nervous to meet with her at first, but she [Dr. Fong] put my husband and I at ease with a course of action based on how aggressive we wanted to be. She answered questions and emails quickly and we always felt better after leaving her office. We are still in the early stages of her helping us get and stay pregnant, but I’m optimistic she will be able to help.... I am a recurrent pregnancy loss patient so I had to have multiple tests to see what was going on. So far everything has come back normal so we have unexplained infertility at this point.
Kaiser is great, in that you can get answers quicker because all the doctors work under kaiser instead of an outside facility. It does take a long time to get your first appointment though. It’s about an 8 week wait.... when I call and speak to her nurse, she seems almost annoyed on the phone. But whenever I’m in the office, the nurses are great. Not sure if it’s someone outside the department that is answering the phones, but she isn’t the most pleasant. Nothing outrageous, just not super friendly.
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I was nervous to meet with her at first, but she put my husband and I at ease with a course of action based on how aggressive we wanted to be. She answered questions and emails quickly and we always felt better after leaving her office. We are still in the early stages of her helping us get and stay pregnant, but I’m optimistic she will be able to help.
Bring a list of questions and be open to her suggestions.
Respectful, good beside manner, empathetic, answered questions and emails quickly.
I am a recurrent pregnancy loss patient so I had to have multiple tests to see what was going on. So far everything has come back normal so we have unexplained infertility at this point. She has is starting clomid this cycle and we told her if we weren’t pregnant within 3 months, we wanted to move onto our next option which was clomid with IUI.
I don’t know who it is, but when I call and speak to her nurse, she seems almost annoyed on the phone. But whenever I’m in the office, the nurses are great. Not sure if it’s someone outside the department that is answering the phones, but she isn’t the most pleasant. Nothing outrageous, just not super friendly.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I am under kaiser insurance so cost would have to do with your insurance with them.
Fontana
Dr. Park was very informative and gave me the step by step options we can approach our plans. I felt like it was more of a verbatim from the clinic's way of doing things and not adjusted to my own body's needs...She was my main doctor for all my 6 IUIs starting with clomid and gradually to injections. She was encouraging and comforting every step of the way. She did what she could do for me and I truly appreciated it. Since Kaiser follows a protocol I am sure there's limited choices/tests she could give me. She gave me the facts and tried her best.
[Nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal were] Very sensitive to my needs...My insurance covered all the costs...was wonderful and ran the system very well. They were professional and responded quickly for all the calls. Kaiser Fontana were limited on their services and patients would have different doctors if Dr. Park was not available...I felt like it was more of a verbatim from the clinic's way of doing things and not adjusted to my own body's needs.
How was your experience with Alice Park at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I saw Dr. Park when she was working at Kaiser Fertility Fontana in late 2016. She was my main doctor for all my 6 IUIs starting with clomid and gradually to injections. She was encouraging and comforting every step of the way. She did what she could do for me and I truly appreciated it. Since Kaiser follows a protocol I am sure there's limited choices/tests she could give me. She gave me the facts and tried her best.
Go in with questions to ask her and all interventions she could/would explore to understand your fertility health status.
Dr. Park started with 2 cycles of clomid and kept adding more injections amount during the next 4 months. Finally my last cycle I had 3 follicles and did not result in any pregnancy.
Very sensitive to my needs.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I saw Dr. Park at Kaiser so I have no opinions for the Loma Linda Clinic. Kaiser Fontana was wonderful and ran the system very well. They were professional and responded quickly for all the calls. Kaiser Fontana were limited on their services and patients would have different doctors if Dr. Park was not available.
My insurance covered all the costs.
Describe Alice Park's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
none
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
DR. PARK WAS HONEST AND UP FRONT WITH ME. WHEN I DECIDED TO STOP TREATMENT SHE TOOK THE TIME TO GO OVER ALL THE OPTIONS FOR ME INCLUDING IVF AND EMBRYO ADOPTION.... I STARTED WITH CLOMID TO SEE IF IT WORK. AFTER THAT I USED INJECTABLES AND EACH CYCLE IT WOULD INCREASE. MY EGGS WOULD NOT GOOD QUALITY SO DR. PARKS THEORY THE MORE EGGS THE MORE OF CHANCE
THE STRENGTHS [at Kaiser] WERE THEY WERE WARM AND FRIENDLY THIER WEAKNESS WWAS THAT THE STAFF WAS CHANGING ALOT.... THEY LOST MY HUSBANDS SPERM SAMPLE.... I STARTED WITH CLOMID TO SEE IF IT WORK. AFTER THAT I USED INJECTABLES AND EACH CYCLE IT WOULD INCREASE. MY EGGS WOULD NOT GOOD QUALITY SO DR. PARKS THEORY THE MORE EGGS THE MORE OF CHANCE
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Alice Park at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
ALICE PARK TOOK THE TIME TO EXPLAIN TO ME THE RISK AND CHANCES OF AN IUI WORKING. SHE WAS CARING AND TOOK THE TIME TO LISTEN SHE WAS NOT ALL ABOUT MONEY AND EVEN GAVE ME WAYS TO CUT COST SHE WAS AGGRESSIVE WHEN THE TREATMENT DIDN'T WORK BY UPPING THE DOSES. SHE
GO IN WITH A OPEN MIND. ASK QUESTIONS, HOPE FOR THE BEST BUT EXPECT THE WORST
THE NURSING STAFF WAS WARM AND FREINDLY.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
THE STRENGTHS WERE THEY WERE WARM AND FRIENDLY THIER WEAKNESS WWAS THAT THE STAFF WAS CHANGING ALOT
THEY LOST MY HUSBANDS SPERM SAMPLE
2019 - 2020
When we’ve seen Dr Huang he takes his time with us and makes sure we understand everything before moving on...is very pleasant and informative...doesn’t make you feel rushed. He’s very encouraging and welcomes any questions or concerns. He also makes sure to let his patients know that if we need to reach him to please call or email him directly... made sure order all the necessary testing beforehand to make sure there are no prior issues before we start our process. He gave me different options to choose from but ended up deciding going with the natural cycle with options to go more aggressive with medication and or injections.
The nursing staff [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] is very helpful and kind...sometimes the wait can be a little while. But you are able to leave messages and they will return your call in a timely manner. Sometimes they can be busy with appointments but they do offer to put you down on a cancellation list...When we’ve seen Dr Huang he takes his time with us and makes sure we understand everything before moving on...is very pleasant and informative...doesn’t make you feel rushed. He’s very encouraging and welcomes any questions or concerns. He also makes sure to let his patients know that if we need to reach him to please call or email him directly... made sure order all the necessary testing beforehand to make sure there are no prior issues before we start our process. He gave me different options to choose from but ended up deciding going with
2019 - 2020
How was your experience with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Ivan Huang is very pleasant and informative. He takes his time and doesn’t make you feel rushed. He’s very encouraging and welcomes any questions or concerns. He also makes sure to let his patients know that if we need to reach him to please call or email him directly.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
To make sure and ask any questions. He is there to help and doesn’t mind getting asked.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the protocols Ivan Huang used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
Dr Huang made sure order all the necessary testing beforehand to make sure there are no prior issues before we start our process. He gave me different options to choose from but ended up deciding going with the natural cycle with options to go more aggressive with medication and or injections.
The nursing staff is very helpful and kind.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Since this is a Kaiser Location sometimes the wait can be a little while. But you are able to leave messages and they will return your call in a timely manner. Sometimes they can be busy with appointments but they do offer to put you down on a cancellation list.
Ivan Huang

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
The world needs more doctors like Dr. Rubal. She knows how to connect with her patients and create a safe feeling environment. She ensures you walk out of the appointment feeling confident and educated. ... Dr. Rubal is such a warm and genuine doctor. She walks in the room and wants to make a connection with her patients while creating the best plan of action. She always asked for our thoughts and feelings throughout the process.
The clinic [Kaiser Permanente SoCal] does an excellent job of getting you scheduled and keeping open various lines of communication. They are quick to call or email back and willing to work with your schedule. You know what your billing is up front and can take care of it right away when leaving. They are also very welcoming and friendly.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
The world needs more doctors like Dr. Rubal. She knows how to connect with her patients and create a safe feeling environment. She ensures you walk out of the appointment feeling confident and educated. Infertility can be scary but having her as our doctor made for a positive experience.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Ask questions, she does an excellent jobs ensuring she answers any questions you have and makes herself available through email for any after thoughts or concerns once you have left your appointment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the protocols Lauren Alexandra Rubal used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
She watched my Menopur prescription closely changing the dosages as needed for optimal results leading up to our IUI. She kept a close watch on our follicle count and growth ensuring safety and making changes to the plan as needed.
Dr.Rubal’s nursing staff is awesome. They have such positive attitudes and made you feel like they genuinely cared about what you were going through. When good results came in they showed excitement and it really added to our experience.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic does an excellent job of getting you scheduled and keeping open various lines of communication. They are quick to call or email back and willing to work with your schedule. You know what your billing is up front and can take care of it right away when leaving. They are also very welcoming and friendly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Our insurance covered 50% of our office visits and procedures.
Irvine

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

Uterine Fibroids, Other
Dr. Rubal recommended that simply try again as the fibroids were large but not in a bad location. I was very stressed out and she talked me thru my anxiety and stress. She was supportive of me doing a few homeopathic things to help with my lining. We did a second FET and everything went great. Dr. Rubal even came in on her day off to do the transfer!! I so appreciated it. My pregnancy test came back positive but a bit weak. We did 2 more test which were positive...I had an immediate connection with Dr. Rubal and she made me feel like a friend. She had a genuine concern for me and my journey.
the staff [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] was warm, welcoming, and professional...it was mostly the same 2 or 3 nurses the office is a bit more open there so there was a friendly face every visit...Kaiser's clinics are a bit sterile etc. but they are clean and well kept...I follow Dr. Rubal to the Reproductive Fertility Center to do IVF. I was very happy to be able to continue using Dr. Rubal and not having to change (Kaiser doesn't do IVF)...My Kaiser plan covered 50% and 50% of the medications. It was about $2000 with appointments and medication for the IUI...The hospital had everything you needed there for blood draws, medication, etc. which is really convenient.
Uterine Fibroids, Other
How was your experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I could not have asked for a better experience. Dr. Rubal held my hand the whole way. I felt like she was there for me. The process is stressful on so many levels. She was a good listener. She was able to reassure me when I thought I'd made mistakes. She was patient with me when I had her paged at home because I was panicking about something. She was able to talk me thru pros and cons of different treatments. She was very good at making sure the treatment plan took into account the whole picture.
She is very warm and outgoing. If you want to feel like you are getting help from a friend she's for you.
I had an immediate connection with Dr. Rubal and she made me feel like a friend. She had a genuine concern for me and my journey. I was very nervous about my decision to have a baby on my own. I attribute a big part of my courage to continue on my journey to the welcome reception I received from Dr. Rubal and her patience and understanding. Her warm and welcoming attitude was mirrored by her nurse assistance and everyone she worked with. She really created a comforting environment.
Unfortunately, I've waited to do this review and I don't remember the specific protocols etc. I am/was older when I got started. I was intent on just doing it as "natural" as possible. Dr. Rubal was totally fine doing it that way. After one IUI it became apparent my cycle was incredible erratic and in the interest of saving money on office visit waiting for me to ovulate we started a medicated cycle. We used clomid and I think that was it. On my 3rd IUI we were a little more aggressive. After 3 IUI I was required to have a consultation. At the consultation Dr. Rubal was very honest and explain that based on my age it was recommended that I start trying IVF. However, she knew money was a big issue for me and also said that we could keep trying IUI (Once I started the process I had mentally decided I would try 5 times.) and she recommended some medications for that but I don't remember. While waiting for my next cycle I decided I wanted to do IVF. I follow Dr. Rubal to the Reproductive Fertility Center to do IVF. I was very happy to be able to continue using Dr. Rubal and not having to change (Kaiser doesn't do IVF). I had a very successful Egg Retrieval. However, my first FET was cancelled due to poor uterine lining. I was disappointed. The egg retrieval made my fibroids grow quite large and were of a size to be removed. I had 2 when I first went in they were fairly small I don't remember the numbers. After the egg retrieval they were close to 5mm (I am guessing on the number it has been a year and a half). It was recommend as a possibility to remove they to improve my chances of conceiving. My age and financial situation made that a very difficult situation. Dr. Rubal recommended that simply try again as the fibroids were large but not in a bad location. I was very stressed out and she talked me thru my anxiety and stress. She was supportive of me doing a few homeopathic things to help with my lining. We did a second FET and everything went great. Dr. Rubal even came in on her day off to do the transfer!! I so appreciated it. My pregnancy test came back positive but a bit weak. We did 2 more test which were positive.
I worked with Dr. Rubal at Kaiser and at Reproductive Fertility Center. At both places the staff was warm, welcoming, and professional. At the Reproductive Fertility Center I did have one nurse as a point of contact via email and saw her most times but not all. At Kaiser it was mostly the same 2 or 3 nurses the office is a bit more open there so there was a friendly face every visit. Both places had amazing nurses and support staff. This department in Kaiser really uses the email system which is soooo great. I've been using Kaiser my whole life and the RE department has been the best so far at communication and quick response times.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser I really liked that they were so friendly, warm, and responsive. The major drawback being location. The facility is a distance from where I live. The hospital had everything you needed there for blood draws, medication, etc. which is really convenient. I liked that although Kaiser does not provide IVF that you could get that service across the street using the same Dr. I would not have liked having to start a new relationship with a doctor half way thru. Kaiser's clinics are a bit sterile etc. but they are clean and well kept. Reproductive Fertility Center was a little more homey and decorated nicer. It was expensive and they could have done more to help you mitigate the cost of your medications. For example they pharmacy they use has a discount program but no one pointed it out to me and so I didn't know to apply. Also, they use just one pharmacy and automatically put the prescriptions in. Somethings are available cheaper at Costco. They made it hard to comparison shop. It would only be an issue if you are paying out of pocket like me. (Kaiser I was covered) Otherwise the pharmacy was great just not the cheapest.
Describe Lauren Alexandra Rubal's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
At my age at the time of transfer (42) I think it is sometimes recommended that you transfer 2 at the same time. Dr. Rubal said they were planning on just doing one and she felt that was the best coarse of action. After genetic testing I only had 2 embryos left of 11, so I felt if it didn't work having another egg to try again would be better. Also, I did a little research and found that while having 2 transfers upped your chances of becoming pregnant it did not increase your chance of carrying to a live birth. Lastly, as a single mom by choice I wanted to limit my chances of multiples.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
When the clinic did IVF, I was quoted $12,000-$18,000. But, Kaiser no longer performs IVF...he only thing I would say was negative was that they recently moved to a new facility which does not have a lab that sends blood to them. When I need blood drawn, I need to go to the Kaiser hospital which is about 20 minutes away...It was originally recommended that we do IVF in order to conceive. However, we could not financially do that at the time. So we decided to complete rounds of IUI since it was covered by insurance. We did 2 rounds, which were unsuccessful. Dr. Rubal was aggressive, but cautious with my medications and timing of the IUI.
How was your experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Rubal is very personable. I always felt comfortable talking to her about personal details. I also felt she really listened and did everything she could to help us conceive. Dr. Rubal took the time to really get to know us and our situation. She shared her knowledge and was always honest with us throughout our treatment path. When we ran into a bump in the road, she would deliver the news gently and then come up with a plan to overcome. She helped us deal at ease through the process, which was comforting with the stress on infertility.
As hard as it can be, don’t stress yourself out. Stress can cause additional problems. Stay positive, enjoy life, and be patient with the process.
Dr. Rubal always gave me information that related specifically to me and my current situation. She was very knowledgeable and always gave me the best option. Dr. Rubal was sympathetic to our struggles and went above and beyond to help us in our fertility journey.
It was originally recommended that we do IVF in order to conceive. However, we could not financially do that at the time. So we decided to complete rounds of IUI since it was covered by insurance. We did 2 rounds, which were unsuccessful. Dr. Rubal was aggressive, but cautious with my medications and timing of the IUI. She walked us through each stage of the process and was always positive with our treatment path. We took a few years off and went back to her this year. She remembered me right away upon coming back and was excited to get us on another IUI cycle right away. This last cycle she went a little more aggressive with the dosage of my infections to get better results, and we did! She recommended I transition to an IVF cycle because I had such a high reaction to the dosage. She then went around calling clinics on. Saturday for me so that I wouldn’t lose the results of my cycle.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser has been great with me. My insurance covers all IUI treatment costs, so that may help with my opinion of them. The only thing I would say was negative was that they recently moved to a new facility which does not have a lab that sends blood to them. When I need blood drawn, I need to go to the Kaiser hospital which is about 20 minutes away.
All IUI cycles were covered by my insurance. When the clinic did IVF, I was quoted $12,000-$18,000. But, Kaiser no longer performs IVF.
Irvine

I appreciate that although she has several patients, that she knows where we've left off, and what our plan is moving forward. I also saw Dr. Rubal at almost every single one of my ultrasounds during my two IUI cycles. There was only one time that I saw a different doctor...I appreciated the way Dr. Rubal explained everything to my husband and I at our initial consultation. From there, each time we met, I always felt like she answered all my questions, and gave me clear plans on where we should go next, without feeling forced that it was our only plan of action. I still felt like it was my decision to make for each part of the process, with a clear and understandable plan and guidance on what we should do.
Although you primarily see the same nurses [at Kaiser Permanente], everyone is so friendly and helpful. Anytime I had a question, I would email through my online portal, and always got a response within 24 hours...I took a break after my second failed IUI, and thankfully so, it was good timing because I was told that they are no longer able to help patients during this time as they are completely overwhelmed with patients. I am currently still waiting for my cycle to begin, but I'm not sure if they are able to take patients (current or new) at this time still. I really hope that I will be able to continue working with Dr. Rubal if we choose to do another IUI.
How was your experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I appreciated the way Dr. Rubal explained everything to my husband and I at our initial consultation. From there, each time we met, I always felt like she answered all my questions, and gave me clear plans on where we should go next, without feeling forced that it was our only plan of action. I still felt like it was my decision to make for each part of the process, with a clear and understandable plan and guidance on what we should do. I liked that I actually saw Dr. Rubal on every single one of my appointments, except one ultrasound. I was told I may see different doctors during my IUI cycles because I was going in for ultrasounds so frequently. During my first IUI procedure, I was really nervous, not really knowing what to expect. Dr. Rubal made it very comfortable, by explaining exactly what she was doing, and walking me through the process. There were no surprises and made the process very comfortable. Dr. Rubal really knows what she's doing, and even though we haven't gotten pregnant yet, I really like working with Dr. Rubal.
Don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any.
I always feel like Dr. Rubal knows exactly who I am, where we are in my plan, and where we are going. I appreciate that although she has several patients, that she knows where we've left off, and what our plan is moving forward. I also saw Dr. Rubal at almost every single one of my ultrasounds during my two IUI cycles. There was only one time that I saw a different doctor, when I was told that I may see different doctors throughout my cycle for my scans.
My case being a bit unique, I appreciated that Dr. Rubal looked into what would be the best protocol for me specifically. Although I am only 30, I never felt like she categorized me as "you're so young, you'll be fine" or anything of that nature. She took me seriously, and allowed me to be my own advocate. With my history of elevated LFTs, we jumped straight to an all injections round for IUI instead of using clomid or letrazole which could have irritated/inflammed my liver further. After months of working on getting my LFTs to stabilize, we used menopur (1-3 vials/night) to get my follicles to mature. Each cycle (we did 2), the plan was "slow & steady". With having PCOS, I have no shortage of follicles, and we wanted to be sure we didn't over stimulate. My first IUI cycle, I had 1 mature follicle before trigger, and the second IUI cycle, I had 2 (almost 3) mature follicles before trigger. Each cycle, I had a hard time thickening my lining, and therefore that could have been a reason for no implantation, but can't be certain. Although I didn't get pregnant from either cycle, I am aware of the percentage of success with IUI and therefore we are contemplating doing another IUI or moving onto IVF.
All the nurses are wonderful at this facility! Although you primarily see the same nurses, everyone is so friendly and helpful. Anytime I had a question, I would email through my online portal, and always got a response within 24 hours. While Dr. Rubal was out on maternity leave, I was still able to contact the nurses to get in touch with the other doctors who were filling in for her, and I didn't feel like there was a lapse in treatment. Although I didn't seek much treatment during her leave, due to waiting for my cycle to start, anytime I reached out to the nursing staff with questions, I always got a response on what I should do. I especially loved the receptionist, Elizabeth, who was always so friendly and kind, and easy to work with. When you're really nervous, checking into the "INFERTILITY DEPARTMENT" can be a bit overwhelming, and even more nerve wracking. Elizabeth always has a smile on her face, and remembered my name and made me feel welcomed and like a friend.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I started seeking treatment in August of 2018, and each time I had an appointment, I checked in 15 minutes early, and was always seen on time and there was hardly a wait. Through my first IUI cycle, in June 2019-July 2019, the response was still very quick, and wait times were minimal, with my ultrasound appointments only being 5-10 minutes at most. This was helpful, since my ultrasounds were early in the morning, before jetting to work and trying to get to work on time. During my second cycle, patients from another Kaiser facility were sent to the Kaiser Irvine facility while one of the doctors was out of the office, and the office really became crowded and flooded in with patients. The wait times after check-in became longer, and the wait times in the rooms became longer as well. Sometimes, the wait was 45 minutes to an hour before being seen by the doctor. It became more overwhelming when one of the doctors left in August. I took a break after my second failed IUI, and thankfully so, it was good timing because I was told that they are no longer able to help patients during this time as they are completely overwhelmed with patients. I am currently still waiting for my cycle to begin, but I'm not sure if they are able to take patients (current or new) at this time still. I really hope that I will be able to continue working with Dr. Rubal if we choose to do another IUI.
My insurance only covers 50% of infertility (no coverage on IVF), so my copays were about $160 and meds were still very expensive.
Irvine

She [Dr. Rubal] was unavailable to answer questions, told me I needed surgery to remove large ovarian cyst and she would find me a well fit surgeon but then left on vacation for 2 weeks without telling me. Never followed up regarding my surgery for cyst removal. Through the 10 plus appointments, she always seemed to be pushing me out the door, rather than truly explaining my case and options to me.
The communication between the Doctors and staff is not the greatest, thus leaving the patient to have to advocate and explain personal situation frequently. On some day's this left me feeling like a number rather than a human. In Kaiser, you have to deal with each department separately, and they do not all communicate together which makes it very difficult to navigate...they would neglect to follow up regarding HSG tests or scheduled appointments.
How was your experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Rubal is very caring and empathetic to the difficulties of infertility treatments. She is candid about the risks and potential negatives of each course of treatment. On the weaknesses, Dr Rubal threw climid at me even though she explained there was less than 5% chance it would work. Dr Rubal informed me that I needed to get another cyst removed before moving forward, but did not discuss what would come next after my cyst removal. Dr Rubal also neglected to follow up and be along with the symptoms I was experiencing due to a 7 inch cyst. I inquired about freezing eggs due to risk of losing my one and only ovary left prior to my surgery. Dr Rubal informed me there "was no way" which was very unsettling without fully understanding why there was "no way" to freeze eggs.
Advocate for yourself, tell her how you are feeling and what you need.
She was unavailable to answer questions, told me I needed surgery to remove large ovarian cyst and she would find me a well fit surgeon but then left on vacation for 2 weeks without telling me. Never followed up regarding my surgery for cyst removal. Through the 10 plus appointments, she always seemed to be pushing me out the door, rather than truly explaining my case and options to me.
HSG test (3 times) too see if tube is blocked 2 ovarian cyst removal surgeries 2 rounds of clomid - 1 at 50 mg -1 at 100 mg both she only followed up via email and I never stepped foot into her office during the rounds of clomid
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
There are very few options through Kaiser's Reproductive Endocrine department. I believe there are only 2 doctors to choose from and the department is severely impacted. The communication between the Doctors and staff is not the greatest, thus leaving the patient to have to advocate and explain personal situation frequently. On some day's this left me feeling like a number rather than a human. In Kaiser, you have to deal with each department separately, and they do not all communicate together which makes it very difficult to navigate.
Most was covered through insurance benefits. We had a 15 dollar co-pay for each visit. My HSG tests had no co-pay, and my surgeries had 15 dollar copay
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Dr Rubal would inform me that her front desk/nurses would follow up with me and they would neglect to follow up regarding HSG tests or scheduled appointments.

2014 - 2017
Our nursing team [at Kaiser Orange County] was excellent. They were warm, funny, and encouraging.... The Kaiser building that I went to in Irvine is clean and comfortable. All of the appointments are in the morning and traffic can sometimes be a little crazy. But the moment I came into the office I felt comfortable and knew that I was in the best possible hands.... For our first IUI round we did a combination of Clomid and Menopur injections. With the combination of those drugs I was able to create 3 follicles, after the IUI I used Estrogen Suppositories. After that round was unsuccessful, we added more Menopur and extra Estrogen to thicken my lining. Because I had responded to the Menopur so well we were very optimistic that this would be our round.
2014 - 2017
How was your experience with Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
The thing that I love about Dr. Rosencrantz is his honesty. He has an ability to present the facts clearly, but also with empathy. He's not afraid to tell you when it's time to move on to another course of treatment, because he has already weighed the risks and thought about what would be the best possible outcome for you and your family. I remember coming back to see him to start trying for our second child after the stillbirth of our daughter he knew all of the details. He made sure to acknowledge the loss of our daughter, he even used her name when we talked about her. He helped us come up with the best course of action in our journey to conceive our next baby. You can tell that he genuinely cares about his patients and only wants the best for them.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Don't be put off by his honesty. Some people are afraid of people who are really honest with them. But in the business of fertility you want someone who is honest. You want someone who is going to tell you what the best possible options are and also when it is time to move on to a different treatment. Some doctors will let you continue to spend money on things that will not really help you. Dr. Rosencrantz is not afraid to speak the truth, which in the long run will benefit you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
My Husband and I have always loved Dr. Rosencrantz's honesty and empathy. We first saw him a few years ago when we were diagnosed with male factor infertility. After deciding to take a break from trying my husband and I found out that we were expecting, sadly that pregnancy ended in a stillbirth of our daughter at 28 weeks. During this whole experience Dr. Rosencrantz has taken the time to really learn about my husband and I and our stillborn baby. He has helped us come up with what we believe will be the best plan for a successful IVF cycle.
Describe the protocols Marcus Rosencrantz used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
After the stillbirth of our daughter my husband and I decided that we wanted to try IUI six months after her death. We sat down with Dr. Rosencrantz and went over our test results. Since our fertility issues are related to male factor, he recommended some additional things my husband could do to improve his morphology. For our first IUI round we did a combination of Clomid and Menopur injections. With the combination of those drugs I was able to create 3 follicles, after the IUI I used Estrogen Suppositories. After that round was unsuccessful, we added more Menopur and extra Estrogen to thicken my lining. Because I had responded to the Menopur so well we were very optimistic that this would be our round. But it too was unsuccessful. For our third and final IUI we decided that since the last cycle had gone so well we would continue everything the same as the last cycle. This cycle also went well, but it did not result in a positive pregnancy test. After all that we had been through, Dr. Rosencrantz presented a few different options to my husband and I. His recommendation was that we move on to IVF. We cause we are young and I have a high egg count he thinks this would be the best option for us. At this time we have decided to work towards IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Daisy )
Our nursing team was excellent. They were warm, funny, and encouraging.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I was very fortunate that Kaiser covers 50% of my fertility medications. The IUI cost was covered completely by my insurance. Each time I saw him it was a $ 20 co-pay. In total each cycle was about $ 400-500.
Describe Marcus Rosencrantz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Our Doctor recommends transferring two embryos but has said that we can do anywhere from one to five.
Irvine

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

Unexplained, Other
A huge strength of Rosencrantz is his communication skills, he makes sure that you fully understand what is going on and that you understand the information given to you. The only negative is that he isn't very open minded about holistic treatments to aide in the medical ones, but not many doctors are.... We went through a low level of IUI. Rosencrantz wanted us to begin at a higher level, but frankly I have a massive fear or needles and wasn't comfortable with more injections than the lower level. I am currently taking 50 mg of Clomid for two months.
The office staff [at Kaiser Irvine Medical Center] were friendly, but sometimes it can be slightly difficult to make an appointment.... The only thing that went wrong was they forgot to order an essential blood test on cycle day three. It happened to land on a Sunday which meant the office itself was closed. What should have been a 5 minute process ended up taking an hour to complete... The nursing staff were friendly. but seemed to be a bit overwhelmed every time I was there.
European, Latino
Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how dumb you might feel asking them or if you feel like you're asking to many. Rosencrantz gladly makes certain you are comfortable with the road ahead, and you have all the information you need.
Rosencrantz always took the time needed to ensure that both my husband and I were comfortable with the upcoming treatments or procedures. He was always willing to answer our questions and never tried to hurry us or make us feel like we were just a number.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The office staff were friendly, but sometimes it can be slightly difficult to make an appointment.
Our plan covered 50% of costs. The low level of IUI that we did ended up costing about $5,000

Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Kashani started off with medication in pill form for the first 3 cycles. We had ultrasound follow ups and revisited our fertility plan after each cycle. She was super friendly but it seemed like we were going off a checklist instead of evaluating what we could do to make a cycle optimal and prevent cancelation. It felt like our path was to go to IVF.
The nursing staff [Kaiser] was awesome. They were always to positive and friendly. It felt like they genuinely wanted to see you succeed. ... The office is very friendly, flexible and are great communicators. Unfortunately, they do not do IVF at the Kaiser location but the doctor is able to do it out of Reproductive Fertility Center close by which is convenient.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Banafsheh Kashani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Kashani is informative and uses visuals to help in understanding our fertility and what paths we can take. She was upfront about our chances of conceiving and provided resources to better understand the process. She hinted more to going to IVF when two of the medications weren’t working even though we still had other options to continue for a successful IUI. We were then scheduled with a different doctor for our next cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Banafsheh Kashani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Banafsheh Kashani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Kashani and her staff were very welcoming. She made us feel very comfortable while going through a somewhat scary process. She answered all of our questions and has made herself available through email for any concerns.
Describe the protocols Banafsheh Kashani used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
The nursing staff was awesome. They were always to positive and friendly. It felt like they genuinely wanted to see you succeed.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Banafsheh Kashani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
As a Kaiser member, we had a 50% co-pay for all procedures and appointments.
Banafsheh Kashani
Irvine

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Banafsheh Kashani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

Male Factor, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He [Dr. Rosencrantz] asked many follow up questions about how we were doing as a couple and for our mental health outside of treatment. Appeared very interested and engaged with us in conversation. ... He was very patient and answered all of our millions of questions. We were very confident in his ability. ... He is also honest and will tell you exactly like it is.
Kaiser is very organized, fairly easy to navigate. ... I also wish they had fertility options in other locations other than just Irvine. I live in north orange county. ... [nursing staff] Professional, kind, happy ... No treatment started yet, only consultation. Currently we are saving money to be able to afford treatment ... Preference was eSET due to my history of RPL
Male Factor, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
He was wonderful, thorough, compassionate, informative, delicate but honest and presented information clearly. He was very patient and answered all of our millions of questions. We were very confident in his ability. He is unfortunately not with Kaiser any longer, so to follow him to his private clinic may cost us more out of pocket, but he's worth it. If we can somehow financially manage it.
You're in good hands, he is thorough and patient and kind. He is also honest and will tell you exactly like it is. He uses helpful statistics in explaining the outcome of certain situations and he acts as though you are his first patient, meaning he takes time with you as if he has an endless amount. Very patient
He asked many follow up questions about how we were doing as a couple and for our mental health outside of treatment. Appeared very interested and engaged with us in conversation.
Professional, kind, happy
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser is very organized, fairly easy to navigate. But, I do wish the first provider (before Rosencrantz) had suggested testing my husband earlier in the process to avoid painful invasive procedures on myself. I also wish they had fertility options in other locations other than just Irvine. I live in north orange county.
10% co-insurance per visit
Preference was eSET due to my history of RPL