Genetic counseling: Offered
323-783-4011
3250 Fordham St
San Diego, CA 92110
1-800-290-5000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kaiser Permanente SoCal to a friend?

7.1

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Dhesi is very thorough and patient. While explaining my first medicated cycle with provera and femara, she explained all of the risks and processes involved. I was scheduled for a 30 minute appointment and she spent over an hour with me. That being said, getting in to see Dr. Dhesi can be difficult. Be sure to call well in advance to set up appointments, and have a game plan going in as far as what you want to cover...
I feel it is just an issue of high patient load and understaffing [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal]...I feel that the staff is just stretched too thin with regard to workload. The scheduling coordinator always seemed rushed and very brief, and the nurses were often juggling multiple patients at once...Fertility billing with Kaiser is a HUGE HEADACHE. It is my #1 complaint with this clinic. With our coverage plan, we are responsible for 50% of cost of services. Sounds easy enough, right? Well, it seems that the fertility/reproductive medicine branch and its separate billing format from the rest of Kaiser is hugely confusing to everyone in billing.
How was your experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Be your own advocate! Dhesi is very thorough and explains treatment very well, but knowing options, treatment routes, and having a list of questions ready will make each appointment so much more productive, which is key when every appointment is quite pricey. Make the most of your time with her!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Amy Dhesi is always very thorough, patient, and while factual never brief. Getting in to see her is rather difficult due to her time being split between Woodland Hills and Kaiser Sunset, but I understand that this is not up to her. Besides scheduling, all of my encounters with Dr. Dhesi have been warm and encouraging. She is very fast to respond to emails as well, and even called me herself while she was off to explain a procedure.
Describe the protocols Amy Dhesi used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
My husband and I unfortunately suffer from dual infertility. He suffered from a varicocele and I have PCOS and do not ovulate on my own. Dr. Dhesi referred us to Dr. Craig Abber (a reproductive urologist) to help address my husband's varicocele, while Dr. Dhesi worked with me on my PCOS and anovulation. My husband had a varicocelectomy via an inguinal approach on June 20, 2019. We had to wait three months to see if this would help (he had an extremely low total motile sperm count (1 million)). Luckily, when we had a semen analysis done in September, his count had improved to 69 million! Yay! I myself worked with Dr. Dhesi during this time to try and regulate my cycle. I took Provera (10mg) 1x daily for 10 days. I did this three consecutive cycles in a row to try and get my cycle regulated, but unfortunately it did not work. This cycle Dr. Dhesi has once again asked that I take 10mg of Provera 1x daily for 10 days and then we hope to follow this with Femara (2.5 mg cycle days 3-7) followed by a trigger shot to force me to ovulate. Dr. Dhesi noted that we can do an IUI if we wish in conjunction with these strategies but is in no way pushing any treatment on us. We chose Femara over Clomid, as Dr. Dhesi noted that this seems to be more successful for patients with PCOS.
The nursing staff at Kaiser Woodland Hills Center for Reproductive Medicine is very helpful and I feel does their best to give each patient a good experience. The nurses were efficient, helpful, and listened to my concerns and questions. With this said, I feel that the staff is just stretched too thin with regard to workload. The scheduling coordinator always seemed rushed and very brief, and the nurses were often juggling multiple patients at once. I don't fault them for this, as I feel it is just an issue of high patient load and understaffing.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
This clinic is very clean, organized, and efficient. The receptionist is always very helpful and respectful of your privacy. The nurses are polite although at times brief, and the doctors seem to do their best to hear your concerns and work with you on the most effective treatment plan for you as an individual. With this said, making an appointment can be difficult, as the doctors split their time between this location and the one on Sunset, making their availability difficult to work around. Appointments can be delayed over a month because of this/the high number of patients seen at this location. You really just have to be proactive and your own advocate to ensure you are getting the treatment you need in the timeline you want.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Fertility billing with Kaiser is a HUGE HEADACHE. It is my #1 complaint with this clinic. With our coverage plan, we are responsible for 50% of cost of services. Sounds easy enough, right? Well, it seems that the fertility/reproductive medicine branch and its separate billing format from the rest of Kaiser is hugely confusing to everyone in billing. Getting a quote for my husband's surgery took HOURS of phone calls and explanations about my coverage to a number of Kaiser representatives and we still did not receive a final quote. Eventually, I decided to just pay for it all out of pocket ($$$$) and hope for a refund after surgery. The entire process was incredibly frustrating and not to mention emotionally and financially stressful! When procedures are done within the clinic, you pay the 50% directly following your appointment at the register, easy! But, if you need something done outside the clinic (still within Kaiser though) it's ridiculously difficult. Be prepared for lots of calls to Kaiser billing and 6 different quotes.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

2018 - 2020
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
When we (my husband and I) first met her [Dr. Snunit Ben-Ozer], we had hopes because the communication was good. But then, cycle after cycle, I get to see her less and I am handled by either other doctors or just nurses. I keep asking her about meds but then she would always direct me to the nurse for instructions. Not everything is bad about her, she is a kind-hearted woman and tries her best...The treatments that were given to me (pills, injections) were not made FOR ME. It's like a "common way of treatment for all" like all size fits most. I had a mild OHSS for one cycle but I still got the same treatments/pills after that.
The clinic [Kaiser Permanente] is clean and they even have free snacks/tea/coffee at the waiting room. Each room that I got to be in is always clean...There's a little bit of wait time esp when checking in and there are few people in the office...The treatments that were given to me (pills, injections) were not made FOR ME. It's like a "common way of treatment for all" like all size fits most. I had a mild OHSS for one cycle but I still got the same treatments/pills after that.
2018 - 2020
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
When we (my husband and I) first met her, we had hopes because the communication was good. But then, cycle after cycle, I get to see her less and I am handled by either other doctors or just nurses. I keep asking her about meds but then she would always direct me to the nurse for instructions. Not everything is bad about her, she is a kind-hearted woman and tries her best. However, there was one time when I was double-booked and I waited more than 15 minutes lying on the bed with my legs up on the stirrups and I finally called out the attention of one nurse and I was informed that Dr. Ben-Ozer will be with me soon. So, she came and she just looked so tired and so cranky that she did not smile at all. I was then so devastated because that's when the COVID-19 started so I was debating if I should still continue my treatments or not. I did not get much of an answer. Truth be told, it's still another negative pregnancy test.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Do not be intimidated and ASK QUESTIONS
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the protocols Snunit Ben-Ozer used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
2 CLOMID everyday 2.5 vials of menopur HCG boost everyday Ovidrel on ovulation day IUI Indometrin vaginal suppository until pregnancy test
They are nice nurses but one time, they forgot that I was inside the room and no one checked on me and I had to call my husband so he would come inside the hospital and just ask to check on me at the reception. I didn't want to get up as I was already naked from waist down.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic is clean and they even have free snacks/tea/coffee at the waiting room. Each room that I got to be in is always clean. Sometimes you would see nurses chit chatting but I think it is normal as we are all humans. There's a little bit of wait time esp when checking in and there are few people in the office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
My co-pay each doctor's visit is $5 because I work for the same company. Each medication is also $5. But since I go to the doctor almost every other day during my cycle, it adds up and costs a lot.
Describe Snunit Ben-Ozer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I did not do embryo transfer. But on my IUI cyle, I should have no more than 3 mature follicles.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
If I remember it right, twice, they forgot to put in my medication order so I had to wait a little longer in the pharmacy.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

2019 - 2020
Out of all of my procedures, bloodwork, labs, and IUIs, I only saw Dr. Dhesi once...I completed a larger series of bloodwork and labs before starting treatment. Then, I would have a vaginal ultrasound on day 3 of my cycle. I would then start 5mg of Letrozole from days 3-7. I would return for another ultrasound on days 10 & 12. I would trigger on day 12/13 and have my iui 36 hours later...I rarely actually saw Dr.Dhesi
The nurses [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] are friendly and take amazing of you. Other the other hand I rarely actually saw Dr.Dhesi...Be prepare to see a different person Everytime and advocate for what you would like during your treatments...The nursing staff were amazing. They did all of my labs, bloodwork, and 2 iuis...I experience a payment not being put in the system properly. Luckily, I kept my receipt to show that I had already paid for my treatment.
2019 - 2020
How was your experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Out of all of my procedures, bloodwork, labs, and IUIs, I only saw Dr. Dhesi once. Nevertheless, the nurses at Kaiser were amazing and friendly and I wish I was reviewing them. You never knew which nurse you would get when you arrived but, imI do not fault the staff. This is often the issue with big hospitals. I would now like to move onto IVF and Kaiser does not offer the service. I will now have to do every over with a new clinic.
The nurses are friendly and take amazing of you. Other the other hand I rarely actually saw Dr.Dhesi
The nursing staff were amazing. They did all of my labs, bloodwork, and 2 iuis.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Since Kaiser is a large hospital you are provided with a one stop shop experience. Once you have conceived it is easy to transfer to the care of other departments. I felt the pricing is affordable when you have at least 50% coverage. A weakness would be having to see a different person for every appointment. The initial consultation was very short. This may not be helpful for someone who hasn’t done much research on their own.
Initial consultation was $200 Each visit and iui was $167. ( approx. 4 visits) Trigger shot $99 each Pregnancy test $20 each Plus the cost of pretreatment labs & bloodwork. Letrozole was $7
Describe Amy Dhesi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Richard Yoo] used real life examples to compare diagnoses or treatment plans. I perceive that his weakness is not suggesting additional treatment plans or tests. I let him know my concerns and which tests other women have used to diagnose that, and he would shut it down immediately by saying it is not necessary for me. I feel that I know my body best. He speaks textbook, but it is not all textbook...Be your own ADVOCATE. Do not let Dr. Yoo tell you to do a year of clomid if that is not what you are comfortable with.
Nursing staff [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] was great! They were compassionate, they demonstrated interest in my journey, and they were encouraging throughout...IVF is out of pocket (~$20000)...Strengths: speedy getting me checked in and finding appointments as needed. When I called with a question for the Dr, they passed on the message promptly, and got back to me within an acceptable time limit...4 cycles of IUI and Clomid 50 mg. 1. 1st day of cycle- call to get a preliminary ultrasound. 2. After preliminary ultrasound, take Clomid for 5 days, usually cycle day 3. 3. Come back for mid cycle ultrasound 4. Trigger shot depending on follicule size 5. IUI 6. Progesterone test 1 week after IUI 7. Pregnancy test 2 weeks after IUI He did not want to give me more than 50 mg of Clomid because he stated that Clomid can make the uterine lining thin.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Yoo was great at breaking down the terminology, and answering the questions in simple terms. He used real life examples to compare diagnoses or treatment plans. I perceive that his weakness is not suggesting additional treatment plans or tests. I let him know my concerns and which tests other women have used to diagnose that, and he would shut it down immediately by saying it is not necessary for me. I feel that I know my body best. He speaks textbook, but it is not all textbook.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Appointments felt rushed. When I asked a question, Dr. Yoo explained it or answered it in an annoyed tone. When I suggested a different treatment plan, I felt unheard. It had to be his way or no way.
Describe the protocols Richard Yoo used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
Nursing staff was great! They were compassionate, they demonstrated interest in my journey, and they were encouraging throughout.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
With my insurance, all I had to pay was a copayment ranging from $5-$50. IUI and Clomid are covered under my insurance, except IVF which is the next step. IVF is out of pocket (~$20000).
Describe Richard Yoo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Na
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

While I’ve only seen Dr. Jabara twice, he has always demonstrated kindness and positivity. It feels like he’s on your side. But he’s also direct and I appreciate that. I get my questions answered and know all of the statistics and risks. I appreciate feeling knowledgeable when I leave every visit...He appreciates when patients are their own advocate and know that they want to partner with him...It’s been explained to us that we have a 2% chance of conceiving naturally each month and a 15% with each IUI cycle. I will complete one more cycle, and then if no success, my husband and I will meet with Dr. Jabara and see what our next step is.
Nurse Aura [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] is wonderful! She’s actually the one who’s treated me for my last two cycles...She answers my questions, has a positive attitude and makes me feel comfortable...$550 per IUI cycle with Clomid and trigger shot...I love how the front desk team always greets you with a smile and positive attitude. They make the payment and account process very easy. They communicate effectively and kindly. I don’t have any constructive criticism for them because they’re the best.
How was your experience with Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Ask all the questions that you have—he’ll answer all of the them. He appreciates when patients are their own advocate and know that they want to partner with him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
From the moment I walked into the Kaiser Fertility Clinic, I am greeted with kindness and positivity. The nurses when taking my vitals are patient. The nurse practitioner who actually has treated me answers all of my questions and explains things very thoroughly.
Describe the protocols Sami Jabara used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
I’m in the middle of my protocol treatment which is three IUI cycles with 100mg of Clomid. I completed two which resulted in negative pregnancy tests. I’ve responded well to the medication—feeling only a bit more irritable and some hot flashes. It’s been explained to us that we have a 2% chance of conceiving naturally each month and a 15% with each IUI cycle. I will complete one more cycle, and then if no success, my husband and I will meet with Dr. Jabara and see what our next step is.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Aura )
Nurse Aura is wonderful! She’s actually the one who’s treated me for my last two cycles. She’s the best. She answers my questions, has a positive attitude and makes me feel comfortable.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
$550 per IUI cycle with Clomid and trigger shot.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

I liked that she [Dr. Ben-Ozer] was honest and kind...After several tests I was diagnosed with "unexplained fertility" and we decided to do IUI. First round was with clomid and second was leterozole since my body didnt react to clomid and clomid thinned my lining. The third IUI was with clomid and menopur along with estrogen pills. The fourth IUI was more aggressive and only used menopur. All times I also used ovidrel to help with ovulation for the planned IUIs
I liked that I could communicate with my doctor [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] easily via email and that all bloodwork and pharmacy pickups were in one spot. The doctors and nursing staff were kind and took the time to explain things to me...My husband isnt a Kaiser member and had to do his sperm analysis at a different facility. After confirming that Kaiser received his documents during my next appt they said they didnt receive them so I had to have his doctor resend again.
How was your experience with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I liked that she was honest and kind. We started out with minimal fertility drugs before we got more aggressive and moved onto menopur (which I was also thankful for considering the cost different between clomid and menopur)
Dont be afraid to ask questions even if toy think they're silly
Ben-Ozer remembered me and my previous treatment so I didnt need to repeat myself.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I liked that I could communicate with my doctor easily via email and that all bloodwork and pharmacy pickups were in one spot. The doctors and nursing staff were kind and took the time to explain things to me. This isnt the clinics fault but it was a trek to get to this clinic since it's the only Kaiser infertility clinic in LA.
My insurance covered 50% of my treatment. Ultrasounds were around $160, IUIs were around $250. Also had a Hsg test and saline ultrasound which were each about $200. Clomid and leterozole were cheap (I think about $15 per cycle) and menopur was expensive ($50 per dose). Ovidrel was about $100.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
The world needs more doctors like Dr. Rubal. She knows how to connect with her patients and create a safe feeling environment. She ensures you walk out of the appointment feeling confident and educated. ... Dr. Rubal is such a warm and genuine doctor. She walks in the room and wants to make a connection with her patients while creating the best plan of action. She always asked for our thoughts and feelings throughout the process.
The clinic [Kaiser Permanente SoCal] does an excellent job of getting you scheduled and keeping open various lines of communication. They are quick to call or email back and willing to work with your schedule. You know what your billing is up front and can take care of it right away when leaving. They are also very welcoming and friendly.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
The world needs more doctors like Dr. Rubal. She knows how to connect with her patients and create a safe feeling environment. She ensures you walk out of the appointment feeling confident and educated. Infertility can be scary but having her as our doctor made for a positive experience.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Ask questions, she does an excellent jobs ensuring she answers any questions you have and makes herself available through email for any after thoughts or concerns once you have left your appointment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the protocols Lauren Alexandra Rubal used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
She watched my Menopur prescription closely changing the dosages as needed for optimal results leading up to our IUI. She kept a close watch on our follicle count and growth ensuring safety and making changes to the plan as needed.
Dr.Rubal’s nursing staff is awesome. They have such positive attitudes and made you feel like they genuinely cared about what you were going through. When good results came in they showed excitement and it really added to our experience.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic does an excellent job of getting you scheduled and keeping open various lines of communication. They are quick to call or email back and willing to work with your schedule. You know what your billing is up front and can take care of it right away when leaving. They are also very welcoming and friendly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Our insurance covered 50% of our office visits and procedures.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

2016 - 2019
With every cycle and even leading up to the cycles, she [Dr. Dhesi] had a plan and a plan that she explained in depth to us so we knew just what to expect. With every unsuccessful cycle she adjusted the plan to see how we can get better results the next time. Her staff has always been accommodating and kind. ... She was thorough, knowledgeable and kind. We were so nervous and had no clue what to expect but she did her best to keep us at ease
Even though they [Kaiser Permanente SoCal] are busy, they still manage to make you feel like they care and not like a number on their list. Because they are busy, they tend to sometimes be crowded or have a longer wait time, this just means that you have to be a little more flexible, you have to just come when they have an availability (get in where you fit it) rather than them accommodating your schedule.
How was your experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
With every cycle and even leading up to the cycles, she had a plan and a plan that she explained in depth to us so we knew just what to expect. With every unsuccessful cycle she adjusted the plan to see how we can get better results the next time. Her staff has always been accommodating and kind. Kaiser covers 6 IUI's but she does not recommend that we do 6. We have done 3 thus far and will do 1 more soon, hoping it's finally "The One". I am happy to have come across DR. Dhesi, she has helped me understand fertility so well and I am grateful, even if we have not had a successful pregnancy YET, I am still glad. I did get pregnant last year but it was not through IUI or any fertility assistance. It was 1 month after our 3rd IUI but I miscarried at 8 weeks. It's been a rough recovery but we are ready to try again and I hope and pray that my body just recognizes what to do. I am definitely going to do my 4th & final IUI with Dr. Dhesi in the upcoming months.
DON'T wait!! We started seeing Dr. Dhesi for a consultation and testing in late 2015 then prolonged the"getting ready" for IUI (the procedures, medications, additional bloodwork, etc.) because we felt like we had time. We finally did our 1st IUI in Jan 2018 assuming it would just work but it didn't. Time goes by so quickly and you think you have time but you don't. The truth is, this is a hard process, it's an emotional roller coaster and many times you feel alone, broken and hopeless but you are not. Feel your feelings but don;t snooze for too long, like we have. Also, ask as many questions as you want and need to. I would write questions down and save them in my phone so that I could remember to ask the doctor.
From the very first consultation with her I knew she was a great doctor. She was thorough, knowledgeable and kind. We were so nervous and had no clue what to expect but she did her best to keep us at ease.
Cycle 1: Low Clomid dosage, but quickly increased. I produced 1 egg that cycle. Cycle 2: Increased Clomid dosage and added Menopur injections. Also produced 1 egg that cycle. Cycle 3: Only used Menopur injections (no more Clomid) and also started taking progesterone suppositories. It looked like I may have 2-3 eggs but by the end of the cycle only 1 matured.
This is a busy clinic, they have many patients but they are always kind and as accommodating as possible. They follow up when they say they will.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I live in the Antelope Valley and this is the closest Kaiser Fertility Clinic to me, they are busy, think of all they are covering. Even though they are busy, they still manage to make you feel like they care and not like a number on their list. Because they are busy, they tend to sometimes be crowded or have a longer wait time, this just means that you have to be a little more flexible, you have to just come when they have an availability (get in where you fit it) rather than them accommodating your schedule. It's not that they don't want to, the do accommodate you when possible.
I have been fortunate enough that our Kaiser Plan has covered the costs thus far. If we move on to IVF, we will need to be referred out of Kaiser and cover all the costs out of pocket.
+ Read more- Read less

During appointments he [Dr. Wong] presented information and answered all of our questions. He was reassuring and positive when he could be. At one point when delivering bad news, he was extremely blunt when it would have been nice to receive such bad news with more care and compassion.... I really had to advocate for options when we were initially told IVF was our only option. Because I pressed for other options, we saw improvement in our test results and we now have a ton of options before IVF.
The nursing staff [Kaiser Permanente SoCal] has been the best part of our whole experience. They have both been extremely compassionate, reassuring, and clear on the phone and in person. Both my husband and I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with the nursing staff in this office.... Once you have your initial appointment, much easier to get scheduled. The office staff is quick with calling back, attentive,
How was your experience with Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
He offered us whatever information we requested and was helpful in offering us whatever options were realistically available to us. I found, however, that I really had to advocate for options when we were initially told IVF was our only option. Because I pressed for other options, we saw improvement in our test results and we now have a ton of options before IVF.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Advocate for yourself. Do your own research. Ask for alternatives. Start with small steps. Get the male partner tested first before starting ANY treatments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
During appointments he presented information and answered all of our questions. He was reassuring and positive when he could be. At one point when delivering bad news, he was extremely blunt when it would have been nice to receive such bad news with more care and compassion.
Describe the protocols Kenneth Wong used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
Clomid for 2 cycles, 50 mg for 4 days starting on day 3 of the cycle. Progesterone test on day 19 of the cycle. Used to induce ovulation with PCOS. These 2 cycles were completed prior to husband being tested - once tested, we stopped with Clomid to try vitamins to increase his numbers.
The nursing staff has been the best part of our whole experience. They have both been extremely compassionate, reassuring, and clear on the phone and in person. Both my husband and I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with the nursing staff in this office.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Hard to get an appointment as an initial patient. Little coverage for insurance (as with most places). Once you have your initial appointment, much easier to get scheduled. The office staff is quick with calling back, attentive, and they don't keep you waiting to get tests completed and treatments started.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Clomid for each cycle: $5 Consult meetings: $60-$160 HSG: $600 Male Sperm Analysis: $15
Describe Kenneth Wong's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kenneth Wong
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

Dr. Baker treats me like she cares about my treament and has great bedside manner. My appointments with her never seem rushed... is thorough with my treatment. She reviews my progress and adjusts as needed for the most positive outcome. Dr. Baker makes sure that I understand the process and treatments and answers all questions I may have... My sixth IUI was a postive. Lovenox was prescribed to reduce the risk of a chemical pregnancy this round. After two weeks on Lovenox I had a reaction so I was switched to Progesterone injections.
I would say a positive thing about Kaiser is the use of an EHR (electronic health record) Doctors and nurses are able to be on the same page with regards to a patient's treatment which makes things run smoothly and efficiently...Typically every appointment I see the same nurses for my appointment or in the department. They are all friendly and helpfull. There was one appoinment though that there was a new nurse in the department that I had not seen before. She was mixing up patient names. I understand accidents happen but having a 'Jane the Virgin' situation would not be good for anyone.
How was your experience with Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Baker is thorough with my treatment. She reviews my progress and adjusts as needed for the most positive outcome. Dr. Baker makes sure that I understand the process and treatments and answers all questions I may have.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Be patient with the process. It's not the same for everyone.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the protocols Marsha Baker used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
My first round, I was put on clomid. Negative result. Second round, I was put on Letrozole and then it was changed to Menopur due to my body not reacting to the last two medications. Second IUI was also a negative. Even though the test came out a negative, I had the best reaction to Menopur so I was put on Menopur my third round. I had a checmical pregnancy on my third IUI. Since my third IUI did come out as positve, Dr. Baker continued the Menopur for my fourth round with Novarel added. The end resulted in another chemical pregnancy. Fifth round was with the same meds and results were the same as the fourth round. Based off the results of rounds three, four, and five, Dr. Baker could see there was progress being made, so we tried another round of IUI with the same meds as previously. My sixth IUI was a postive. Lovenox was prescribed to reduce the risk of a chemical pregnancy this round. After two weeks on Lovenox I had a reaction so I was switched to Progesterone injections. In between I had ultrasounds done to check my pregnancy and the baby is growing and making progress, so I was offically discharged from REI at a little over my eight week mark to see a OB-GYN.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I would say a positive thing about Kaiser is the use of an EHR (electronic health record) Doctors and nurses are able to be on the same page with regards to a patient's treatment which makes things run smoothly and efficiently. A weakness would be the location of treament and medications. (This is just my personal experience. It may not be the same for everyone) Because fertility treaments are not offered near me, I have to drive at least an hour depending on traffic to my appointments and they are sometimes back to back or at least a couple of times a week. Also, because treatments are not offered near me, neither are the medications. Sometimes I have to hang around for hours after my appointment waiting for the clinic to consult with my main doctor on my treatment on whether my medications may be changed or not so I can go to the pharmacy for it. There has been times I made it all the way home and had to drive back.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
My care is covered under my insurance except my co-pay.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

2015 - 2019
Unexplained, Other
She [Dr. Lin] always answers all of my questions and considers all of my thoughts. She always comes to each appointment picking up where we last left off...I truly feel that she is vested and cares about the outcome of my treatments. When I have questions or want to know her opinion on research that I've done, she is receptive and open to discussing and implementing changes to my protocol. One negative to working with Dr. Lin is that she is almost always running behind. I actually don't mind waiting because I believe this is because she doesn't rush her patients and takes her time with each person. However, if it is critical to you for the doctor to not make you wait, then I would go with a different doctor.
Kaiser works with Reproductive Partners La Jolla, so for any IVF you would be seeing a Kaiser doctor at Reproductive Partners. All IUI and other procedures are done at Kaiser in the Point Loma office. The nurses and doctors at Kaiser are really great and super helpful...For appointments at Kaiser, the nurse is for Dr. Lin is Alba and she is really great. For appointments at Reproductive partners, the nurse for Dr. Lin is Tiffany and she is also really great.
2015 - 2019
Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Li-Shei Lin at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Lin is an excellent doctor. I truly feel that she is vested and cares about the outcome of my treatments. When I have questions or want to know her opinion on research that I've done, she is receptive and open to discussing and implementing changes to my protocol. One negative to working with Dr. Lin is that she is almost always running behind. I actually don't mind waiting because I believe this is because she doesn't rush her patients and takes her time with each person. However, if it is critical to you for the doctor to not make you wait, then I would go with a different doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Li-Shei Lin at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Be patient.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Li-Shei Lin at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
She always answers all of my questions and considers all of my thoughts. She always comes to each appointment picking up where we last left off.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Tiffany)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Li-Shei Lin at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Depending on insurance, you pay a co-pay or percentage. My insurance pays 50%. IVF is not covered and is paid for separately to Reproductive Partners.
Describe Li-Shei Lin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Normally Dr. Lin believes in doing eSET. However, because of my age, I believed that day 3 embryos might be a better choice for me, so we froze all day 3 embryos. For FET we transferred two day 3 embryos.
Li-Shei Lin

2016 - 2019
Undergoing IUI with male I fertility factor, Dr Yoo was focused mostly on getting the timing right for ovulation. ... He suggested giving IUIs a go, since they were covered by insurance but also advised IVF with ICSI may be required (our next step). ... Dr Yoo is great at coming up with analogies to help you understand treatment. He will personally call with important news, but is slower to respond to email.
Poor communication between clinic [Kaiser Permanente] and pharmacy. Infertility Nurse advised me I likely had kidney stones and NOT a miscarriage, which turned out to be an ectopic pregnancy. Menopur “training” really just a long warning about “what you’re getting yourself in to” and the outrageous complexities of scheduling tests and lab work at multiple locations with inflexible hours. ... The clinic hours and scheduling are horrendous.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Yoo is great at coming up with analogies to help you understand treatment. He will personally call with important news, but is slower to respond to email. He is positive and good natured. He is a little too laid back however and doesn’t always explain the science. He does try to be a good listener, though.
He will answer all your questions, despite the time it takes. So don’t feel pressured to rush through your appointments.
Dr Yoo is friendly and easy to work with. He called me directly with very important news. However his staff is terrible. If asked to rate his staff, I would say they make me very much feel like a number not a human.
Undergoing IUI with male I fertility factor, Dr Yoo was focused mostly on getting the timing right for ovulation. I thankfully responded well to chlomid and never needed my medication adjusted. He suggested giving IUIs a go, since they were covered by insurance but also advised IVF with ICSI may be required (our next step). He also provided care and follow up related to my ectopic pregnancy that resulted from our 4th IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Foust)
Danielle Foust rushed through injectables “training”. She does not exude a kind, patient or compassionate bedside manner. As the advice nurse at the clinic, she reassured me I was not having a miscarriage when in fact I was having an ectopic pregnancy. Worst yet, when I was advised by ER OB to follow up with my RE after diagnosis, she was a direct barrier to me seeing Dr Yoo. She literally wouldn’t allow me to make the appointment. During the most stressful time in my life, she compounded my anxiety and stress.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
No strengths other than Dr Yoo. The clinic hours and scheduling are horrendous. The pharmacy is small, slow and the staff are not kind or patient. Most staff besides Dr Yoo treat you like a number and are not sensitive or compassionate to the needs of a couple undergoing something very hard and stressful. I’m an easy going and patient person, but I have come to wholeheartedly detest this clinic.
We stuck with a clinic we detested because IUIs and chlomid were covered under insurance. So costs were low copays.
He is pro single.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Poor communication between clinic and pharmacy. Infertility Nurse advised me I likely had kidney stones and NOT a miscarriage, which turned out to be an ectopic pregnancy. Menopur “training” really just a long warning about “what you’re getting yourself in to” and the outrageous complexities of scheduling tests and lab work at multiple locations with inflexible hours. C

2017 - 2019
Throughout treatment, I had few appointments with Dr. Yoo. In retrospect, this is okay, because I really like the Nurse Practitioner, Dagmar, better....Dr. Yoo probably has a very large caseload, making him less available and much less invested in your particular case. He is blunt and pessimistic. This is what you need to an extent, of course, but he really did little to change protocol or tailor treatment.
European, Latino
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Honestly, I think that being the the only Kaiser fertility clinic in San Diego, Dr. Yoo probably has a very large caseload, making him less available and much less invested in your particular case. He is blunt and pessimistic. This is what you need to an extent, of course, but he really did little to change protocol or tailor treatment. He also failed to warn me of a condition with my tubes that could seriously impact my fertility. It wasn't until another doctor reviewed his medical records that I was made aware of the complication. I spent over a year before finding out.
You will have to be your own advocate. Research everything. Ask, sometimes repeatedly, for specifics about your case. If you have DOR, are a "poor responder" to meds, or are older, he is definitely not a good fit. After three failed IUIs, and his failure to alert me to a tubal issue I had, he went straight to telling me I need to give up or go with donor eggs.
Throughout treatment, I had few appointments with Dr. Yoo. In retrospect, this is okay, because I really like the Nurse Practitioner, Dagmar, better. Dr. Yoo did not seem invested in my case and he did not spend much quality time looking into things or discussing with us our case. He typically spoke just in general terms.
The first two IUIs were with Clomid, lower doses that were slightly increased. For the third IUI, I was switched to Menopur, again low dose, to finally maxed out. Throughout the treatement I had one Clomid cycle canceled and one Menopur cycle canceled due to poor response. After that, Dr. Yoo told me to quit trying or use donor eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
The person who I enteracted with most was the Nurse Practitioner, Dagmar Platzer. She was incredibly empathetic and has a great bedside manner. She was always very upfront about my prognosis, but also always offered hope and was willing to talk at length about my particular situation.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser first and foremost is a large private insurance company, so expect to be treated like a number. The San Diego clinic is busy and you have to go by their availability, which can sometimes interfere with your cycle. Everyone is friendly, but it takes a long time for some of them to recognize you, even when you are going frequently. Again, I think this is due to the high volume of patients. If you have anything particular about your case, you're going to have to be your own advocate and research on your own quite a bit.
My insurance covered IUI and related medications. I just had small copays. However, IVF is not covered whatsoever.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
In the hysterosalpingogram procedure, they told me one tube was "a bit abnormal" but that it was not blocked, so it was not a concern. Through reading my medical record, they recorded a hydrosalpinx, which even when not causing blockage, it often causes fertility issues. I did not find this out until I switched doctors. My new RE said I need to have that tube fixed and that in the current condition, IUIs were very likely going to fail, so IVF should have been the recommended treatment, after fixing the tube. Kaiser only vaguely mentioned this issue to me, even though they are the ones who diagnosed it. They never discussed the impact on fertility it has or that there was a procedure that could fix it. I wasted a year on trying IUIs that were most likely going to fail without knowing there was much better treatments I could be doing. At my age, losing a year is not something I can afford.

2017 - 2019
Dr. Yoo is very to the point, direct, and gives you a lot of information. ... I only wish I had more time with him and didn't see different doctors during ultrasounds or IUI's. ... I have unexplained infertility and am moving on to work with him doing IVF. ... Basically he gives you the info and you decide what you want to do and show up call and do it. You hope it works then call again to meet with him to do another round of IUI or discuss next steps.
Strengths-It's [Kaiser Permanente] easy to get apts (apt center is great), Drs all know what they are doing and are efficient, the pharmacy is right next door and easy to get prescriptions. Billing is always straightforward ... Weaknesses-follow up and communication ... you can feel like just another number and like they are just following protocol. ... The nurse Debby was giving me a measles shot and she was very unprofessional. She handed me the wrong paperwork for me to sign, she did the shot in the hallway while I was standing up, and I was worried she didn't even have the right shot so I asked to check. The same nurse then forgot to fill my prescription we waited for half and hour then the pharmacy informed us the prescription wasn't put in. I had to walk back and forth twice to ask them to fill it.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Yoo is a excellent Dr. and knows how to explain your options clearly. I have unexplained infertility and am moving on to work with him doing IVF. I didn't get to see him much though as he works through Kaiser and you see different Drs depending on who is working that day. If my insurance didn't cover my IUI's I'm not sure if I would've gone through him simply because of the lack of time with him and I didn't receive any follow up phone calls. Basically he gives you the info and you decide what you want to do and show up call and do it. You hope it works then call again to meet with him to do another round of IUI or discuss next steps.
I would just let them know if they want more communication they have to initiate it all and be an advocate for yourself.
Dr. Yoo is very to the point, direct, and gives you a lot of information. I like they way he explains everything. I only wish I had more time with him and didn't see different doctors during ultrasounds or IUI's.
The strategy was to do 3 natural IUI's (because I ovulate on my own). Then we moved on to clomid with the lowest dosage. I didn't respond well to clomid in that it thinned my uterine lining so I took estrogen. Then we did another round of clomid and I took estrogen right away and my lining got thicker that round. After 5 rounds I was physically and emotionally exhausted so I took about 6 months off. Now Dr. Yoo is suggesting I take stims and do a few more IUI's the I'm moving to IVF if that doesn't work. He gives you your options and you decide what you want to do.
They seem very busy but they are quick depending on who you see. I think Deb retired but she was not very pleasant and was unorganized. Everyone else was good.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Strengths-It's easy to get apts (apt center is great), Drs all know what they are doing and are efficient, the pharmacy is right next door and easy to get prescriptions. Billing is always straightforward and I've never had any issues. Weaknesses-follow up and communication. It is up to you to call after a failed cycle and they you come back and jump right back in (at least that was my experience) you can feel like just another number and like they are just following protocol.
I have insurance through Kaiser so I paid a copay for each visit, each blood test, and receive a discount on meds. Some of the tests were out of pocket but not too bad.
We discussed this and he said he does single embryo transfer.

Uterine Fibroids, Other
Dr. Rubal recommended that simply try again as the fibroids were large but not in a bad location. I was very stressed out and she talked me thru my anxiety and stress. She was supportive of me doing a few homeopathic things to help with my lining. We did a second FET and everything went great. Dr. Rubal even came in on her day off to do the transfer!! I so appreciated it. My pregnancy test came back positive but a bit weak. We did 2 more test which were positive...I had an immediate connection with Dr. Rubal and she made me feel like a friend. She had a genuine concern for me and my journey.
the staff [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] was warm, welcoming, and professional...it was mostly the same 2 or 3 nurses the office is a bit more open there so there was a friendly face every visit...Kaiser's clinics are a bit sterile etc. but they are clean and well kept...I follow Dr. Rubal to the Reproductive Fertility Center to do IVF. I was very happy to be able to continue using Dr. Rubal and not having to change (Kaiser doesn't do IVF)...My Kaiser plan covered 50% and 50% of the medications. It was about $2000 with appointments and medication for the IUI...The hospital had everything you needed there for blood draws, medication, etc. which is really convenient.
Uterine Fibroids, Other
How was your experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I could not have asked for a better experience. Dr. Rubal held my hand the whole way. I felt like she was there for me. The process is stressful on so many levels. She was a good listener. She was able to reassure me when I thought I'd made mistakes. She was patient with me when I had her paged at home because I was panicking about something. She was able to talk me thru pros and cons of different treatments. She was very good at making sure the treatment plan took into account the whole picture.
She is very warm and outgoing. If you want to feel like you are getting help from a friend she's for you.
I had an immediate connection with Dr. Rubal and she made me feel like a friend. She had a genuine concern for me and my journey. I was very nervous about my decision to have a baby on my own. I attribute a big part of my courage to continue on my journey to the welcome reception I received from Dr. Rubal and her patience and understanding. Her warm and welcoming attitude was mirrored by her nurse assistance and everyone she worked with. She really created a comforting environment.
Unfortunately, I've waited to do this review and I don't remember the specific protocols etc. I am/was older when I got started. I was intent on just doing it as "natural" as possible. Dr. Rubal was totally fine doing it that way. After one IUI it became apparent my cycle was incredible erratic and in the interest of saving money on office visit waiting for me to ovulate we started a medicated cycle. We used clomid and I think that was it. On my 3rd IUI we were a little more aggressive. After 3 IUI I was required to have a consultation. At the consultation Dr. Rubal was very honest and explain that based on my age it was recommended that I start trying IVF. However, she knew money was a big issue for me and also said that we could keep trying IUI (Once I started the process I had mentally decided I would try 5 times.) and she recommended some medications for that but I don't remember. While waiting for my next cycle I decided I wanted to do IVF. I follow Dr. Rubal to the Reproductive Fertility Center to do IVF. I was very happy to be able to continue using Dr. Rubal and not having to change (Kaiser doesn't do IVF). I had a very successful Egg Retrieval. However, my first FET was cancelled due to poor uterine lining. I was disappointed. The egg retrieval made my fibroids grow quite large and were of a size to be removed. I had 2 when I first went in they were fairly small I don't remember the numbers. After the egg retrieval they were close to 5mm (I am guessing on the number it has been a year and a half). It was recommend as a possibility to remove they to improve my chances of conceiving. My age and financial situation made that a very difficult situation. Dr. Rubal recommended that simply try again as the fibroids were large but not in a bad location. I was very stressed out and she talked me thru my anxiety and stress. She was supportive of me doing a few homeopathic things to help with my lining. We did a second FET and everything went great. Dr. Rubal even came in on her day off to do the transfer!! I so appreciated it. My pregnancy test came back positive but a bit weak. We did 2 more test which were positive.
I worked with Dr. Rubal at Kaiser and at Reproductive Fertility Center. At both places the staff was warm, welcoming, and professional. At the Reproductive Fertility Center I did have one nurse as a point of contact via email and saw her most times but not all. At Kaiser it was mostly the same 2 or 3 nurses the office is a bit more open there so there was a friendly face every visit. Both places had amazing nurses and support staff. This department in Kaiser really uses the email system which is soooo great. I've been using Kaiser my whole life and the RE department has been the best so far at communication and quick response times.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser I really liked that they were so friendly, warm, and responsive. The major drawback being location. The facility is a distance from where I live. The hospital had everything you needed there for blood draws, medication, etc. which is really convenient. I liked that although Kaiser does not provide IVF that you could get that service across the street using the same Dr. I would not have liked having to start a new relationship with a doctor half way thru. Kaiser's clinics are a bit sterile etc. but they are clean and well kept. Reproductive Fertility Center was a little more homey and decorated nicer. It was expensive and they could have done more to help you mitigate the cost of your medications. For example they pharmacy they use has a discount program but no one pointed it out to me and so I didn't know to apply. Also, they use just one pharmacy and automatically put the prescriptions in. Somethings are available cheaper at Costco. They made it hard to comparison shop. It would only be an issue if you are paying out of pocket like me. (Kaiser I was covered) Otherwise the pharmacy was great just not the cheapest.
Describe Lauren Alexandra Rubal's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
At my age at the time of transfer (42) I think it is sometimes recommended that you transfer 2 at the same time. Dr. Rubal said they were planning on just doing one and she felt that was the best coarse of action. After genetic testing I only had 2 embryos left of 11, so I felt if it didn't work having another egg to try again would be better. Also, I did a little research and found that while having 2 transfers upped your chances of becoming pregnant it did not increase your chance of carrying to a live birth. Lastly, as a single mom by choice I wanted to limit my chances of multiples.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
When the clinic did IVF, I was quoted $12,000-$18,000. But, Kaiser no longer performs IVF...he only thing I would say was negative was that they recently moved to a new facility which does not have a lab that sends blood to them. When I need blood drawn, I need to go to the Kaiser hospital which is about 20 minutes away...It was originally recommended that we do IVF in order to conceive. However, we could not financially do that at the time. So we decided to complete rounds of IUI since it was covered by insurance. We did 2 rounds, which were unsuccessful. Dr. Rubal was aggressive, but cautious with my medications and timing of the IUI.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Rubal is very personable. I always felt comfortable talking to her about personal details. I also felt she really listened and did everything she could to help us conceive. Dr. Rubal took the time to really get to know us and our situation. She shared her knowledge and was always honest with us throughout our treatment path. When we ran into a bump in the road, she would deliver the news gently and then come up with a plan to overcome. She helped us deal at ease through the process, which was comforting with the stress on infertility.
As hard as it can be, don’t stress yourself out. Stress can cause additional problems. Stay positive, enjoy life, and be patient with the process.
Dr. Rubal always gave me information that related specifically to me and my current situation. She was very knowledgeable and always gave me the best option. Dr. Rubal was sympathetic to our struggles and went above and beyond to help us in our fertility journey.
It was originally recommended that we do IVF in order to conceive. However, we could not financially do that at the time. So we decided to complete rounds of IUI since it was covered by insurance. We did 2 rounds, which were unsuccessful. Dr. Rubal was aggressive, but cautious with my medications and timing of the IUI. She walked us through each stage of the process and was always positive with our treatment path. We took a few years off and went back to her this year. She remembered me right away upon coming back and was excited to get us on another IUI cycle right away. This last cycle she went a little more aggressive with the dosage of my infections to get better results, and we did! She recommended I transition to an IVF cycle because I had such a high reaction to the dosage. She then went around calling clinics on. Saturday for me so that I wouldn’t lose the results of my cycle.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser has been great with me. My insurance covers all IUI treatment costs, so that may help with my opinion of them. The only thing I would say was negative was that they recently moved to a new facility which does not have a lab that sends blood to them. When I need blood drawn, I need to go to the Kaiser hospital which is about 20 minutes away.
All IUI cycles were covered by my insurance. When the clinic did IVF, I was quoted $12,000-$18,000. But, Kaiser no longer performs IVF.

Anovulation, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
She [Dr. Lauren Rubal] has been incredible to work with. She's always very thorough and takes the time to answer all my questions. She's very cautious when developing treatment plans and I truly feel like she always has my best interest in mind. Infertility is a long, hard journey but having the right doctor on my side has made it a little easier. She follows new studies and research and always has new insights to offer. I've seen 3 other infertility doctors and she is by far the best which is why i'm willing to travel 1.5 hours to see her. I highly recommend her to anyone struggling with infertility.
The clinic [Kaiser Permanente SoCal] has a great program in place. They are affordable, the facilities are clean and the pharmacy always has the medications I need for my treatment. I also love that they offer Saturday appointments and very early morning appointments so I can go in before work without affecting my schedule too much...The nursing staff is very nice and compassionate. They are quick to return emails and are accommodating when scheduling appointments.
Anovulation, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
have been treated by Dr. Rubal for about two years. She has been incredible to work with. She's always very thorough and takes the time to answer all my questions. She's very cautious when developing treatment plans and I truly feel like she always has my best interest in mind. Infertility is a long, hard journey but having the right doctor on my side has made it a little easier. She follows new studies and research and always has new insights to offer. I've seen 3 other infertility doctors and she is by far the best which is why i'm willing to travel 1.5 hours to see her. I highly recommend her to anyone struggling with infertility.
Feel free to ask a lot of questions and let her know if you have any concerns so she can address them. She's always very thorough and happy to provide insight.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic has a great program in place. They are affordable, the facilities are clean and the pharmacy always has the medications I need for my treatment. I also love that they offer Saturday appointments and very early morning appointments so I can go in before work without affecting my schedule too much.
+ Read more- Read less

I appreciate that although she has several patients, that she knows where we've left off, and what our plan is moving forward. I also saw Dr. Rubal at almost every single one of my ultrasounds during my two IUI cycles. There was only one time that I saw a different doctor...I appreciated the way Dr. Rubal explained everything to my husband and I at our initial consultation. From there, each time we met, I always felt like she answered all my questions, and gave me clear plans on where we should go next, without feeling forced that it was our only plan of action. I still felt like it was my decision to make for each part of the process, with a clear and understandable plan and guidance on what we should do.
Although you primarily see the same nurses [at Kaiser Permanente], everyone is so friendly and helpful. Anytime I had a question, I would email through my online portal, and always got a response within 24 hours...I took a break after my second failed IUI, and thankfully so, it was good timing because I was told that they are no longer able to help patients during this time as they are completely overwhelmed with patients. I am currently still waiting for my cycle to begin, but I'm not sure if they are able to take patients (current or new) at this time still. I really hope that I will be able to continue working with Dr. Rubal if we choose to do another IUI.
How was your experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I appreciated the way Dr. Rubal explained everything to my husband and I at our initial consultation. From there, each time we met, I always felt like she answered all my questions, and gave me clear plans on where we should go next, without feeling forced that it was our only plan of action. I still felt like it was my decision to make for each part of the process, with a clear and understandable plan and guidance on what we should do. I liked that I actually saw Dr. Rubal on every single one of my appointments, except one ultrasound. I was told I may see different doctors during my IUI cycles because I was going in for ultrasounds so frequently. During my first IUI procedure, I was really nervous, not really knowing what to expect. Dr. Rubal made it very comfortable, by explaining exactly what she was doing, and walking me through the process. There were no surprises and made the process very comfortable. Dr. Rubal really knows what she's doing, and even though we haven't gotten pregnant yet, I really like working with Dr. Rubal.
Don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any.
I always feel like Dr. Rubal knows exactly who I am, where we are in my plan, and where we are going. I appreciate that although she has several patients, that she knows where we've left off, and what our plan is moving forward. I also saw Dr. Rubal at almost every single one of my ultrasounds during my two IUI cycles. There was only one time that I saw a different doctor, when I was told that I may see different doctors throughout my cycle for my scans.
My case being a bit unique, I appreciated that Dr. Rubal looked into what would be the best protocol for me specifically. Although I am only 30, I never felt like she categorized me as "you're so young, you'll be fine" or anything of that nature. She took me seriously, and allowed me to be my own advocate. With my history of elevated LFTs, we jumped straight to an all injections round for IUI instead of using clomid or letrazole which could have irritated/inflammed my liver further. After months of working on getting my LFTs to stabilize, we used menopur (1-3 vials/night) to get my follicles to mature. Each cycle (we did 2), the plan was "slow & steady". With having PCOS, I have no shortage of follicles, and we wanted to be sure we didn't over stimulate. My first IUI cycle, I had 1 mature follicle before trigger, and the second IUI cycle, I had 2 (almost 3) mature follicles before trigger. Each cycle, I had a hard time thickening my lining, and therefore that could have been a reason for no implantation, but can't be certain. Although I didn't get pregnant from either cycle, I am aware of the percentage of success with IUI and therefore we are contemplating doing another IUI or moving onto IVF.
All the nurses are wonderful at this facility! Although you primarily see the same nurses, everyone is so friendly and helpful. Anytime I had a question, I would email through my online portal, and always got a response within 24 hours. While Dr. Rubal was out on maternity leave, I was still able to contact the nurses to get in touch with the other doctors who were filling in for her, and I didn't feel like there was a lapse in treatment. Although I didn't seek much treatment during her leave, due to waiting for my cycle to start, anytime I reached out to the nursing staff with questions, I always got a response on what I should do. I especially loved the receptionist, Elizabeth, who was always so friendly and kind, and easy to work with. When you're really nervous, checking into the "INFERTILITY DEPARTMENT" can be a bit overwhelming, and even more nerve wracking. Elizabeth always has a smile on her face, and remembered my name and made me feel welcomed and like a friend.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I started seeking treatment in August of 2018, and each time I had an appointment, I checked in 15 minutes early, and was always seen on time and there was hardly a wait. Through my first IUI cycle, in June 2019-July 2019, the response was still very quick, and wait times were minimal, with my ultrasound appointments only being 5-10 minutes at most. This was helpful, since my ultrasounds were early in the morning, before jetting to work and trying to get to work on time. During my second cycle, patients from another Kaiser facility were sent to the Kaiser Irvine facility while one of the doctors was out of the office, and the office really became crowded and flooded in with patients. The wait times after check-in became longer, and the wait times in the rooms became longer as well. Sometimes, the wait was 45 minutes to an hour before being seen by the doctor. It became more overwhelming when one of the doctors left in August. I took a break after my second failed IUI, and thankfully so, it was good timing because I was told that they are no longer able to help patients during this time as they are completely overwhelmed with patients. I am currently still waiting for my cycle to begin, but I'm not sure if they are able to take patients (current or new) at this time still. I really hope that I will be able to continue working with Dr. Rubal if we choose to do another IUI.
My insurance only covers 50% of infertility (no coverage on IVF), so my copays were about $160 and meds were still very expensive.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Ghahremani is very empathetic. She is always calm and direct. She makes us feel like a family member rather than her patients.... We are very at ease with Dr. G. She has always been so compassionate and I love her calm demeanor. It helps me not to freak out or stress about what we are doing. She’s done my last IUI and I didn’t feel a thing compared to previous ones done by her NP. We trust her and that is why we decided to do our IVF treatment with her, too.
The Kaiser clinic was always clean. Despite being always busy, everyone was friendly and sympathetic. They made it easy for us to go through what we're going through. Hard enough as it is, I'm grateful I don't have to worry about anything because they're all on top of things. The nurses go above and beyond and always a friendly....They were efficient and always on time! They also made sure we were Always comfortable and at ease. During the times I had my IUI my husband would play Friends on his phone to keep me distracted a d the team were all on board.
How was your experience with Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
If you want a doctor who shows compassion and will treat you like family rather than just one of their patients, then go see Dr. G.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the protocols Mandana Ghahremani used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
We have not started IVF. My review is based solely on our other treatments prior to IVF. We were put in clomid treatment, starting with the lowest dose and then increased over the next 3 months. All the 3 cycles partnered were with IUI and resulted in a negative pregnancy. We started with the lowest dose of Clomid on our very first treatment, which didn't make me ovulate so Dr. G increased the next dosage, which resulted to ovulation and primed for IUI. I think increasing the dosage incrementally was a safe thing to do. I was fully on board with her rationale because you wouldn't know how a patient will react to the treatment. We were given a one month break after our last clomid treatment and then started on menopur for the next 3 months. Again with IUI and all resulted in a negative pregnancy. With menopur, I was at risk for ovarian hyperstimulation so I was closely monitored for over a week on my last two cycles. Unfortunately, still not pregnant even though the risk of multiples were explained to us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Liz Vargas)
We loved the nursing team. They were efficient and always on time! They also made sure we were Always comfortable and at ease. During the times I had my IUI my husband would play Friends on his phone to keep me distracted a d the team were all on board.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
We were seen by the Kaiser Infertility Clinic team in their Downey, CA location. Dr. Ghahremani is also affiliated with a private IVF clinic in Beverly Hills. The Kaiser clinic was always clean. Despite being always busy, everyone was friendly and sympathetic. They made it easy for us to go through what we're going through. Hard enough as it is, I'm grateful I don't have to worry about anything because they're all on top of things. The nurses go above and beyond and always a friendly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser insurance covered our treatments there but for IVF we were given a range from 12k to 24k depending on what other services we would need. We will have our initial consult next no the to go over details.
Describe Mandana Ghahremani's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Not applicable.
Mandana Ghahremani
Downey
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

I did three IUIs with 5 days of clomid [with Dr. Jabara]. I got 2-3 eggs each cycle. The last IUI I did a combo of menopur and clomid. Still only got 2 eggs. Chemical pregnancy on 2nd IUI and negative all others...I did feel like I was not educated along the way...I wish he had given us resources to learn more about IVF due to my age...I also wish he had reevaluated me after three IUIs rather than wasting time, money, and emotions on a fourth IUI. Now, I am almost 41 and just starting IVF. Overall, I think he is a good doctor but if you are looking for bedside manner, he may not be for you.
I felt like Dr. Jabara and his staff [at Kaiser Permanente] treated me very well. I did feel like I was not educated along the way about certain things like side effects of medications and what to look for when I got the pregnancy test results...Aura [nurse] was amazing and compassionate. She did three of my IUIs.I had a bad experience at my last IUI. Aura had a hard time getting through my cervix. Which was of no fault of hers.
How was your experience with Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Overall, my experience was not bad but there are things I think could have been better. During the consultation, Dr. Jabara was honest and positive and I was optimistic. He respected that we couldn't afford IVF and worked with us as much as possible to keep the costs down. I really appreciated this. After this, I only saw Dr. Jabara one or two more times. He had to do one of my IUIs as there were issues getting through my cervix. In hindsight, I wish he had given us resources to learn more about IVF due to my age so we could have made a more educated decision. I also wish he had reevaluated me after three IUIs rather than wasting time, money, and emotions on a fourth IUI. Now, I am almost 41 and just starting IVF. Overall, I think he is a good doctor but if you are looking for bedside manner, he may not be for you.
Educate yourself about the process, the medications, etc... Advocate for yourself.
I felt like Dr. Jabara and his staff treated me very well. I did feel like I was not educated along the way about certain things like side effects of medications and what to look for when I got the pregnancy test results.
I did three IUIs with 5 days of clomid. I got 2-3 eggs each cycle. The last IUI I did a combo of menopur and clomid. Still only got 2 eggs. Chemical pregnancy on 2nd IUI and negative all others.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Aura)
The staff was really good. Aura was amazing and compassionate. She did three of my IUIs. Beverly was also amazing educating me about the medications and such. The only negatives were that there were some side effects from medications that I wish they had given me a heads up about so I wasn't googling "Is this normal" in the middle of the night and I had a bad experience at my last IUI. Aura had a hard time getting through my cervix. Which was of no fault of hers. She finally did and they sent me on my way as normal. I went to the pharmacy and started having bad cramping. I went back the the office and told the front staff of the pain. They went back and asked the nurses and they said "tell her that it is normal." I knew it wasn't, I couldn't even stand up. I sat in the waiting room and finally after about 5 minutes when I walked to the bathroom, a nurse saw me and said, "are you ok, you are pale." I said no and they finally helped me. I rested and they gave me orange juice and after about 15 minutes, I felt better. After this, I still had cramping for the next three days. This was the emotional and physical tipping point that pushed me to stop trying and I wasn't able to consider going back again for another year and a half. Despite this incident, for the most part, the nursing staff and everyone in the office are wonderful.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic is really good. Parking is a bit stressful depending on the time of day. Of course, as this is a Kaiser medical center and hospital, it sucks to see all the pregnant ladies walking around. But, overall, they do a good job.
Since we opted for IUIs, our insurance covered 50%. I estimated it to cost us around $1000 per round with all the medications and visits.

Tubal Blockage, Other
[Dr. Snunit Ben-Ozer] herself is ok, however she never seemed to check my file prior to my appointments and was constantly getting my history wrong. My husband and I weren't treated with a customized fertility plan. We got the same cookie cutter steps everyone else gets... When we did our IUI with Dr. Ben-Ozer there was no discussion of a treatment plan and had zero opportunity to speak with her. In fact she wasn't even the person who performed the procedure a Nurse Practioner was, who I had never met.
staff of nurses [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] were incredibly rude and didn't care about the patient. They all had terrible bed side manner. Anytime my husband and I had questions we were answered as if we were bothering them or with the tone of our questions being dumb...I would get labs back and no explanation of the results...The clinics communication with myself and outside facilities was terrible. Wether it be them calling in a new prescription, explaining to me what/why the next procedure was happening, or transferring medical records was a nightmare. The communication was the worst I've ever had to deal with from a doctor's office.
Tubal Blockage, Other
How was your experience with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Don't waste your, time, money, or energy!!!! Do your research first and find another facility!
I had a bubble test done to see if my tubes we're blocked and they were. I was scheduled for a polyp removal in my uterus but did not t end up having the procedure because the medication dissolved it. Then had an IUI (natural cycle) and was unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Sempre)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Strengths: covered by my insurance 50%. Weaknesses: too many to name (see review below). Her staff of nurses were incredibly rude and didn't care about the patient. They all had terrible bed side manner. Anytime my husband and I had questions we were answered as if we were bothering them or with the tone of our questions being dumb. This was particularly an issue with Jennifer Sempre, Dr. Ben-Ozer's head case manager for her office. I would get labs back and no explanation of the results. Dr. Ben-Ozer herself is ok, however she never seemed to check my file prior to my appointments and was constantly getting my history wrong. My husband and I weren't treated with a customized fertility plan. We got the same cookie cutter steps everyone else gets and as we all know no two bodies are the same. Unfortunately if you don't fit the Kaiser mold they throw you to the wayside and don't care. When we did our IUI with Dr. Ben-Ozer there was no discussion of a treatment plan and had zero opportunity to speak with her. In fact she wasn't even the person who performed the procedure a Nurse Practioner was, who I had never met. The overall experience with her office was literally traumatizing. They made a stressful delicate situation even worse. I would never recommend going to Dr. Ben-Ozer or any doctor at Kaiser for infertility.
Since it was a Kaiser facility our insurance planned covered 50% of the treatments.
+ Read more- Read less

He is very rushed which gives the feeling of a number, but he is also personable so that kind of evened things out. ... Dr Yoo helped me through 5 courses of IUI through Clomid, Metformin, and Menopur. Doses varied depending on my level of tolerance and reaction. ... There were one or two occasions that I had to remind him of something he missed. He truly does want for the treatment to work and will make sure you understand what is happening.
One strength is their [Kaiser Permanente] connection to insurance. They are all very aware of the costs of procedures and what is due when. One weakness is their lacl of a room for patients to process. After a failed IUI, I would look for a place to process and cry, but there was no where to go except out and pay. That was extremely embarassing and difficult. ... They [nurses] were compassionate, sympathetic, and very helpful. They were above all the nicest people I have met.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Yoo is someone who I would recommend to my friends. He is quick to adjust treatment, but with the speed comes the feeling he may have missed something. There were one or two occasions that I had to remind him of something he missed. He truly does want for the treatment to work and will make sure you understand what is happening.
Don't feel rushed as that is simply his speaking style. Ask questions as he is always willing to spend extra time to ensure you understand.
There were no weaknesses I saw in the nursing staff. They were compassionate, sympathetic, and very helpful. They were above all the nicest people I have met.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
One strength is their connection to insurance. They are all very aware of the costs of procedures and what is due when. One weakness is their lacl of a room for patients to process. After a failed IUI, I would look for a place to process and cry, but there was no where to go except out and pay. That was extremely embarassing and difficult.
Approximately $3000/round of IUI.
None.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I had to catch incorrect dosages once. My first round of IUI I was on a low dose and once it was increased it skyrocketed and was canceled. They said the next round would increase much slower. The first appointment back, I was told I would be beginning on a high dose. Once I had the dr look at my chart again he noted that it was a mistake and we should start lower.

Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
The consultations and limited diagnostic tests can be very informative when you are starting out on this journey. Yet, if it is determined that you have multiple fertility issues, it is better to go to a clinic that offers a variety of services, as this clinic [Kaiser - Fontanta] offers very little services.... After the two week wait, when you call to tell them that you are NOT pregnant , they literally say, "Okay, call us with your next period." This response can be very shocking to a person who is devastated that she is not pregnant.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Even when she diagnoses you with multiple fertility issues, and you present her with the research saying that IUI is a waste of time and money and could cause additional problems like ectopic pregnancy and miscarriages, she will not directly say try other options. She will just say keep trying IUI, when you know, she knows better.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
If you try fertility treatments with her and your gut keeps telling you that you need a second opinion, get a second opinion. Her energy and optimism can make you feel as though anything is possible, even when the facts about your fertility is so blatantly clear that you need more services than she can offer.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
The first few sessions she provides a lot of information and suggestions for your fertility treatment. She talks fast because she is trying to give you alot of information in a short period of time, but initially you do feel like she is treating you like a human being. However, once she creates a treatment plan and you try to ask more detailed questions via email or through her staff, she provides very limited vague responses (sometimes only phrases) and does not directly answer your questions, leaving you even more confused about what next steps to take in your treatment.
Describe the protocols Shirley Fong used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
With the IUI that I did, she prescribed about 50 mg of clomid as she did not want me to produce to many eggs and accidently fertilize too many eggs. She also prescribed a trigger shot that I took one or two days before my insemination. I did not get pregnant. Yet as mentioned before, she was being hopefully and not considering all the fertility issues I was presenting with.
After the two week wait, when you call to tell them that you are NOT pregnant , they literally say, "Okay, call us with your next period." This response can be very shocking to a person who is devastated that she is not pregnant. After paying hundreds of dollars to try to get pregnant with this department, all they can say is "call back with your next period." The doctor does not schedule an appointment to reassess your treatment plan and determine if it needs to be changed. You are just told to do the whole process again (if you choose) when your next period rolls around.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The consultations and limited diagnostic tests can be very informative when you are starting out on this journey. Yet, if it is determined that you have multiple fertility issues, it is better to go to a clinic that offers a variety of services, as this clinic offers very little services.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Consultations, HSGs, bloodwork, and the actual insemination procedure all cost close to $2500 for one cycle.
Describe Shirley Fong's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
In this clinic, she does not deal with embryos
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Even when you directly told them that you were concerned about your multiple fertility issues, the doctor continued to encourage their service, even when you needed more advanced services.

Endometriosis, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Rubal was my first Reproductive Endocrinologist. I've suffered multiple miscarriages and was FINALLY referred to a specialist. She has been absolutely amazing. She has explained her course of action, the reasons for it and every risk and possible outcome along the way. Ive cried in her office and she has made me feel hope again.... We were investigating recurrent miscarriage. We first did all the usual blood work. Second made sure my tubes werent blocked and that my uterus was normal shape using a saline sonogram.
I went to Kaiser which does not cover any fertility treatments but did cover my recurrent miscarriage.... [Nurse] Every time I emailed the office with a concern I got an email back that same day or a phone call right away. I know her by name now.... We had several one on one visits [with Dr. Rubel]. I sat her in office and we went deep into detail about what was going on with me and how I was feeling. She was so informative and reassuring
Endometriosis, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Rubal was my first Reproductive Endocrinologist. I've suffered multiple miscarriages and was FINALLY referred to a specialist. She has been absolutely amazing. She has explained her course of action, the reasons for it and every risk and possible outcome along the way. Ive cried in her office and she has made me feel hope again. We are still working on my rainbow baby but I have faith in Dr. Rubal.
Tell her everything you are concerned about. Do not be afraid to email her office.
We had several one on one visits. I sat her in office and we went deep into detail about what was going on with me and how I was feeling. She was so informative and reassuring but never gave me false expectations. Anytime I emailed her office with any concern one of her nurses would email or call me right away and set up an appointment for me to come in to speak to the doctor or answer any questions or concerns I had. Ive never felt like a number.
We were investigating recurrent miscarriage. We first did all the usual blood work. Second made sure my tubes werent blocked and that my uterus was normal shape using a saline sonogram. When she suspected a bicornate uterus or scarring we then did a hysteroscopy. She wanted to remove and scarring before I tried to get pregnant again. When the hysteroscopy showed my uterus was nomal she prescribed progesterone and aspirin to start the next time I get a positive pregnancy test. She also referred me to another specialist to figure out what can be done about my endometriosis pain.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Sorrell)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I went to Kaiser which does not cover any fertility treatments but did cover my recurrent miscarriage. I dont think kaiser covers any fertility treatments which is an issue with our health care system in general
I pay $430 a month for health insurance through kaiser. No fertility treatments are covered or offered. My recurrent pregnancy loss was investigate. My copays were $30 each time I saw the doctor
+ Read more- Read less

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Dr Yoo is kind and always made me feel comfortable and explained things clearly. He is a friendly and knowledgeable doctor. I get the feeling he might have a large patient load. I was able to communicate with him directly via email.... You can't speak with him unless you make an appointment but he will answer emails!... Dr Yoo is very clear and very understanding, the Kaiser System is what made me feel like a number because
Dr Yoo is very clear and very understanding, the Kaiser System is what made me feel like a number because it takes a long time to get questions answered... Kaiser functions like a factory. I needed a lot of answers on my first round of IVF and the communication was challenging to say the least. Its nearly impossible to get a phone consult with the doctor, you have to make an appointment and it could take a month. Strengths - when they cover you they cover you.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Yoo is very clear and very understanding, the Kaiser System is what made me feel like a number because it takes a long time to get questions answered and I get the feeling he has a lot of patients as he is one of 2 fertility doctors that Kaiser has for the San Diego area.
I can't recall my dosages, but I was on menopur and climid for IUI and then testosterone and Estrace for IVF. The IUI failed and the IVF was cancelled due to pregnancy and miscarriage
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Debbie)
Debbie sent every email in all caps which really bothered me. She didn't answer all the questions I had and was hard to get a hold of. She has retired.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
My care was mostly covered by insurance.
Dr Yoo advises one embryo at a time. 2 can be challenging for the mother and the fetus.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I requested an egg retrieval through Kaiser, and just before I was to start my baseline they tell me its not possible through my insurance when previously they had. I am very concerned about time due to my age soI had to scramble to get a new doctor who could see me right away. They misquoted me on the cost of the retrieval by about 5k, so I had to have a challenging renegotiation of financial planning with my husband. They don't have their own doctors or facility to do the surgery.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Goldstein is an RE that whispers the word “intercourse.” She made me feel like IUI would solve all or problems.... I did three of my six unmedicated, and then heard from Dr. Goldstein that if she had realized it was my third that she would have recommended medication.... She never knew what was happening or who I was when I came in the clinic if I was not assigned to see her that day.... The dosage of clomid did nothing for me but thin my lining.
You are just a number. No one knows or remembers you. They [Kaiser Permanente SoCal] don’t know where you are at in your infertility journey, and they don’t seem to care. They don’t respect your time and even try to cancel appointments day of. You will almost never speak to the same person twice. Every appointment feels like you are starting over and having to explain yourself again and again.... They never passed on any of my concerns to the doctor in charge of my care.
How was your experience with Ellen Goldstein at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Goldstein is an RE that whispers the word “intercourse.” She made me feel like IUI would solve all or problems. But she also didn’t pay attention to where we were at in our allotment of partially covered IUIs. I feel like I wasted time and wasn’t given all the information I needed to make wise decisions. I almost never saw her directly or got to speak with her directly until I refused to speak to anyone but her. She was kind at that point and called me saying she didn’t realize that I felt communication was lacking. And after that cycle failed, I never heard from her again. Despite having one more IUI I could try. I will skip that because I would do anything not to go back. I know she has her own clinic outside of what my insurance covers, but I would never choose her as a physician.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ellen Goldstein at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
First, ask for someone else. Second, if you must see her, make sure she communicates all the details. That she explains medications, side effects, what you can expect. Find out how involved she will be and request that you see her. Be your own advocate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ellen Goldstein at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
The kaiser facility makes every patient just a number. You are constantly being shuffled between doctors and there is almost no communication with the doctor in charge of your care.
Describe the protocols Ellen Goldstein used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
I don’t think there was a strategy. I think I was always an after thought. They allowed me to start off with unmedicated cycles, but didn’t pay attention to how many had been done that way. I did three of my six unmedicated, and then heard from Dr. Goldstein that if she had realized it was my third that she would have recommended medication. So, I feel like that one was a waste. She never knew what was happening or who I was when I came in the clinic if I was not assigned to see her that day. The dosage of clomid did nothing for me but thin my lining. I was then moved to menopur injections which also didn’t seem to have much of an effect. I never knew what was to be expected. How many visits I might have, etc. I truly felt there was no protocol for me specifically.
I never saw the same nurse twice. For the most part they were just neutral. In and out and done. I did have one specific nurse at my very first appointment tell me that I just shouldn’t stress and I would probably get pregnant. This was after handing me a packet that had things you could ask family to do for you which included letting them know that telling you not to stress was not helpful.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
You are just a number. No one knows or remembers you. They don’t know where you are at in your infertility journey, and they don’t seem to care. They don’t respect your time and even try to cancel appointments day of. You will almost never speak to the same person twice. Every appointment feels like you are starting over and having to explain yourself again and again.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ellen Goldstein at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
My insurance covered 50% of my care. Every visit just to the office was about $150. The last IUI with injectables cost about $3,000 all together.
Describe Ellen Goldstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
No IVF with her.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
This clinic is Kaiser at Sunset. They canceled appointments, did not answer phones, did not communicate effectively. They never passed on any of my concerns to the doctor in charge of my care.
Ellen Goldstein
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Ellen Goldstein at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Ben Over always came in with a positive outlook. She is kind and reassuring which puts you at ease. You don't feel that she is rushing through your questions to get to the next person.... Dr. Ben Over always came in with a positive outlook. She has candidly said that if a certain medication didn't work there were others to try and we might to increase the dosage on some. Since we are nearing the end of our cycles and still have not gotten pregnant we have to be realistic about the future of our treatment.
The facility is Kaiser and they've been pretty good about me calling in and responding to my questions. I like that you can call the fertility center and speak to the nurses and also email them. Their turnaround for responding is fast.... They have several doctors. At one point, they put me with someone else, and I requested to be put back with my doctor since she knew what was going on. I have gone to other doctors for follicle checks and IUIs and they've all been just as kind.
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Ben Over always came in with a positive outlook. She has candidly said that if a certain medication didn't work there were others to try and we might to increase the dosage on some. Since we are nearing the end of our cycles and still have not gotten pregnant we have to be realistic about the future of our treatment. She is kind and reasurring but I do have to be the one that asks what is next. I don't like to think that I'm being negative but I am more realistic about the situation. We are on our 3rd IUI and she did state that if this one didn't work we need to sit down for a consult and start discussing IVF which she said was "very expensive" which we already know.
Ask questions, do your research! If there is something going on with your body ask what you can do to facilitate the process.
Initially, we started with Clomid to see if that would help us get pregnant, which it didn't. We moved on to Clomid with the trigger shot, but each scan would show only one follicle growing. We decided that on the next cycle we would increase Clomid, do the trigger shot, and start on menopur, with the hope that I would get 2-3 full size follicles. This last IUI I still only had 1 follicle, so we did talk about increasing menopur if this cycle was unsuccessful.
I started my treatment at Kaiser, and most of the staff are friendly and informative. They definitely show compassion during this process. I say most, because I have encountered one who is not as warm as the others. She's not rude but definitely not inviting
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The facility is Kaiser and they've been pretty good about me calling in and responding to my questions. I like that you can call the fertility center and speak to the nurses and also email them. Their turnaround for responding is fast. I haven't been to any other clinic, but here, you see so many women come.in and out. They have several doctors. At one point, they put me with someone else, and I requested to be put back with my doctor since she knew what was going on. I have gone to other doctors for follicle checks and IUIs and they've all been just as kind.
Luckily, my insurance has covered the IUIs. All I have had to pay are my co-pays for the visits and meds
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I was scheduled for a a follicle check and a representative from the hospital called to cancel me since the doctor called out. I told her not to cancel my appointment because I was already there. Once I checked in they said someone else would see me.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
He [Dr. Sami Jabara] does give me in depth explanations about my care, and makes me feel a part of it...He's a very busy doctor, he tries to see as many people as he can in one day. It feels like he wants to help as many people as possible. But that means that many times he is in a rush, and that doesn't feel very comforting in such an emotional time. But when he has a moment he is encouraging and positive, but realistic about the goals.
The senior staff [at Kaiser Permanente] was pleasant, knowledgeable and supportive, the newer staff do not know what resources are at their disposal, so are not as effective at problem solving, or solving those problems in a timely fashion. But all are sincere and kind...Need a bigger office, more staff, because Kaiser has a very large population of infertile patients. The nurses are nice, they are compassionate. The main branch of Kaiser's infertility clinic at LAMC has its own social worker to emotionally support the patients and have a really knowledgeable RN case manager to assist with resources and support groups.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Strengths- Positive energy, encouraging, very knowledgeable. Weaknesses- Can be a little scatterbrained, spread thin seeing so many patients that it can border on impersonal. Does not make eye contact often.
Try to slow down and make patients feel like you are invested, know their care like the back of your hand.
He's a very busy doctor, he tries to see as many people as he can in one day. It feels like he wants to help as many people as possible. But that means that many times he is in a rush, and that doesn't feel very comforting in such an emotional time. But when he has a moment he is encouraging and positive, but realistic about the goals. He does give me in depth explanations about my care, and makes me feel a part of it.
When I first encountered Dr. Jabara, I had ovarian cysts, I was given estrogen to removed them but then it took me two to three months to ovulate. Then we tried clomid, the doctor said I didn't respond very well to it. Ovidrel and natural attempt. No pregnancy this trial. Next visit I saw the NP, was prescribed double the dose of clomid and started on Menopur 75mg. I came in weekly for estrogen monitoring and ultrasounds.I resulted in one follicle at 12, the other at 18mm. Ovidrel admin. My first IUI followed, negative pregnancy test. The third attempt I received 2 clomids and 150mg Menopur, resulting in two follicles final measurments of 10 and 16mm. Ovidrel administered.Second IUI performed, negative pregnancy test. Had a break one month. Then 2 months with no period, return of menses in December no treatment with return of period due to office policy not to start treament during the holidays. January natural cycle with ovidrel 1 follicle seen at 16mm. Negative pregnancy. Last cycle natural with 2 follicles at 15mm and 18mm. Ovidrel administered. Third IUI performed, chemical pregnancy with serum HCG 4, first ultrasound showed 45mm corpus luteum, and 6 cysts of varying degrees all &gt;20mm. Estrogen initiated on this 10 day long menstruation. No treatment this month, to return in April when next menstruation due. It is Dr.Jabara's thought that I have better responses to natural methods best, he suggested we may try Femara my next cycle. The pressure is on because he will no longer treat me after my 44th birthday.
The senior staff was pleasant, knowledgeable and supportive, the newer staff do not know what resources are at their disposal, so are not as effective at problem solving, or solving those problems in a timely fashion. But all are sincere and kind.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Clomid- $100 Ovidrel- $400 Menopur-$1000 IUI-$500 Blood tests-$300 Ultrasounds- $2000

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
I loved Dr. Fong for her personality and relatability. She had a very calm aura and explained everything in a personable manner. I felt comfortable and trusted that I was in great hands with such a fragile experience... Dr. Fong was very relatable and listed to everything my partner and I had to say or ask, and in turn answered everything in a way we could understand but still very professionally. She went over options while keeping in mind our budget and how aggressive we could be with that monetary goal in mind.
The nursing staff [at Kaiser Fontana] was nice but did not have as much communication skills as the doctor. They did however go over the doctors notes to make sure I understood everything and let me know what to do for the next follow up appointment.... I love kaiser and wish I could keep them forever. Being as they are pricey and do not offer fertility to an outside buyer is the biggest downfall.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I loved Dr. Fong for her personality and relatability. She had a very calm aura and explained everything in a personable manner. I felt comfortable and trusted that I was in great hands with such a fragile experience. I would recommend her highly to any of my friends or family if they needed her services.
To a prospective patient, I would say there’s no reason to be scared or nervous with Dr. Fong. She is the type that actually cares about you and listens and wants to give you the best treatment possible for the outcome you want.
The nursing staff was nice but did not have as much communication skills as the doctor. They did however go over the doctors notes to make sure I understood everything and let me know what to do for the next follow up appointment
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I love kaiser and wish I could keep them forever. Being as they are pricey and do not offer fertility to an outside buyer is the biggest downfall. I was lucky enough to have 50% insurance coverage for a time enough to get to know they reproductive team
The initial consultation for me was $150.00. Without insurance it would have been $300.00. I think their pricing is normal as far as other clinics I have looked into. The quality of the doctor and having 50% covered was a big thing for me at the time
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Dhesi has been an incredible doctor through this process. I always feel comfortable with her and she explains everything to me and my husband very clearly. She doesn't rush and will discusses pro and cons with each procedure...She laid out all of the options and recommended first steps based on our situation. We were able to follow her recommendation (clomid and IUI) and were pregnant the first cycle. Unfortunately that pregnancy ended in a MMC. Later we got pregnant on our own and were monitored very closely by Dr. Dhesi. I was diagnosed with a SCH and later had another MMC. She doesn't hesitate to check anything that may be a potential contributing factor and I appreciate that. During our last loss, she suggested next steps and I am comfortable following her recommendations.
[Kaiser Permanente is] Very efficient. Most of the time they run on time and are clear with the process of the appointment. I appreciate that I can email to contact the nurse and ask questions. Occasionally, it can be difficult to get through by phone to talk with the appropriate person...Most of the nurses have been awesome. There have been a couple of nurses who were inconsiderate during difficult appointments.
European, Black or African-American, Other
Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Dr. Dhesi has been a great doctor from the beginning. She has answered EVERY question we have and does not rush through our appointments. She has been very clear with our treatment and I definitely feel as though she cares about me as her patient.
I would say Dr. Dhesi has a very proactive strategy. She laid out all of the options and recommended first steps based on our situation. We were able to follow her recommendation (clomid and IUI) and were pregnant the first cycle. Unfortunately that pregnancy ended in a MMC. Later we got pregnant on our own and were monitored very closely by Dr. Dhesi. I was diagnosed with a SCH and later had another MMC. She doesn't hesitate to check anything that may be a potential contributing factor and I appreciate that. During our last loss, she suggested next steps and I am comfortable following her recommendations.
Insurance covers 50% and we pay 50% coinsurance
+ Read more- Read less

Tracy Telles is very compassionate through all visits. She cares about your emotions during this process... She also tries different combinations of meds if the current ones are not working. She is open to switching them every cycle if it is needed, hoping that one combo will finally be the right one...She also administers IUI procedures with minimal pain. I’ve had other doctors perform my IUI and they have hurt me, but Telles is very gentle and quick.
Kaiser is not open on weekends so sometimes I worry that the procedures are not working because they try to do them too soon or too late for what my body really needs. It’s also hard to schedule appointments since they only have one person taking calls and scheduling and they are only open from 8:30-4:30. It’s difficult to schedule with work hours being the same...They’re [nursing staff] very friendly and always try to say positive things to keep me hopeful.
How was your experience with Tracey Telles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Tracy Telles is very nice and compassionate. She cares about your emotions throughout this stressful and sometimes heartbreaking process. She also administers IUI procedures with minimal pain. I’ve had other doctors perform my IUI and they have hurt me, but Telles is very gentle and quick. She also tries different combinations of meds if the current ones are not working. She is open to switching them every cycle if it is needed, hoping that one combo will finally be the right one.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tracey Telles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Ask her all of the questions that are on your mind. She’s very open to answering all of them to make sure you’re not left wondering anything.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tracey Telles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the protocols Tracey Telles used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
She initially prescribed me clomid and an ovidrel shot to use before an IUI procedure. I have late ovulation and therefore a short luteal cycle which the ovidrel was supposed to help with. After developing cysts from the meds, she switched me to femara and the ovidrel shot before IUI. Next, since nothing has worked so far, she put me on femara with menpur shots daily for three days and then the ovidrel shot before IUI. Waiting to see what will happen next.
They’re very friendly and always try to say positive things to keep me hopeful.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tracey Telles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I have health coverage through work so it’s around $30 copay for each visit (around 3-4 each month) and then around $200 for meds and shots.
Tracey Telles
+ Read more- Read less

EVERY UNSUCCESSFUL IUI SHE [Dr. Ellen Goldstein] WOULD ADD/CHANGE MEDICATION AND TEST STRATEGIES TO HELP GIVE IT THE BEST CHANCE POSSIBLE EACH TIME...I STARTED SEEING HER TO TRY FERTILITY TREATMENTS (IUI) USING CLOMID & INJECTABLES & TRIGGER SHOTS. WE TRIED 5 CYCLES, AND IT WAS UNSUCCESSFUL FOR ME AS WELL. SHE THOUGHT THAT I WOULD BE SUCCESSFUL WITH IVF, BUT THAT IS JUST TOO EXPENSIVE FOR MY WIFE AND I.
THEY [Kaiser Permanente SoCal] WERE ALL GREAT, KIND AND EXPLAIN WHAT WAS HAPPENING...DURING THE LAST CYCLE I DID, NEAR TO THE END OF THE CYCLE. THE LAB GAVE THE WRONG RESULTS FOR AN ESTRADIOL TEST AND THE DOCTORS THOUGHT I OVULATED ON MY OWN SO I HAD TO GO BACK QUICKLY FOR AN IUI, BUT THEY RETESTED AND I DIDN'T OVULATE YET SO THE IUI WAS UNSUCCESSFUL BECAUSE THE TEST RESULTS WERE WRONG.
How was your experience with Ellen Goldstein at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
SHE WAS GREAT BUT HER PATIENT LOAD THAT KAISER PUT ON THE FERTILITY DEPARTMENT PREVENTED HER FROM TAKING EXTRA TIME DURING PROCEDURES OR EXAMS TO SPEND EXTRA TIME WITH HER PATIENTS. SHE TOOK EXTRA TIME TO ANSWER QUESTIONS DURING THE CONSULTATIONS AND TO GO OVER TEST RESULTS.
SHE WILL DO HER BEST TO HELP YOU MEDICALLY TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL PREGNANCY AS WELL AS BEING HONEST WITH YOU WHEN THERE IS NO CHANCE AS WITNESSED WITH MY WIFE'S INFERTILITY.
SHE TOOK THE TIME TO GO OVER THE TEST RESULTS IN DETAIL. SHE WAS VERY THOROUGH AND WAS FRANK ABOUT MY WIFE & I FERTILITY TREATMENTS. FIRST MY AFRICAN AMERICAN WIFE WAS SEEING HER FOUND OUT THAT HER FIBROIDS PREVENTED HER FROM FURTHER TREATMENT. THEN I STARTED SEEING HER TO TRY FERTILITY TREATMENTS (IUI) USING CLOMID & INJECTABLES & TRIGGER SHOTS. WE TRIED 5 CYCLES, AND IT WAS UNSUCCESSFUL FOR ME AS WELL. SHE THOUGHT THAT I WOULD BE SUCCESSFUL WITH IVF, BUT THAT IS JUST TOO EXPENSIVE FOR MY WIFE AND I.
EVERY UNSUCCESSFUL IUI SHE WOULD ADD/CHANGE MEDICATION AND TEST STRATEGIES TO HELP GIVE IT THE BEST CHANCE POSSIBLE EACH TIME. WE WERE USING DONOR SPERM FROM THE CALIFORNIA CRYOBANK, SOMETIMES IT IS MORE SUCCESSFUL WITH IUI'S USING LIVE SPERM.
THEY WERE ALL GREAT, KIND AND EXPLAIN WHAT WAS HAPPENING.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
TOO MANY PATIENTS, LONG WAIT TIMES. APPOINTMENT TIMES WERE ALMOST ALWAYS NOT OBSERVED. YOU WOULD HAVE AN APPOINTMENT FOR 8AM AND NOT BE TAKEN IN TILL 830 AND NOT SEEN FOR ANOTHER 1/2 HR. ALSO THEY HAD SATURDAY HOURS BUT NOT SUNDAY. SO YOUR CYCLE NEEDED TO BE WORKED AROUND SUNDAY CLOSURE AND AVAIL APPOINTMENT TIMES.
EACH CYCLE ENDED UP BEING ABOUT $1450.00. ~ 5 VISITS $40 COPAY, $250 FOR MEDS & $1000 FOR SPERM. SO FOR 5 CYCLES IT WAS APPROX $7250. NOT COUNTING THE TIME OFF WORK AND THE GAS DRIVING TO THE KAISER FACILITY ON SUNSET FOR EVERY APPOINTMENT.
Ellen Goldstein

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Yoo was frank and we appreciated that. ... During a consult after receiving initial labs, another couple's information was being referred to. ... Dr. Yoo provided no direction in regards to nutrition other than take a prenatal and fish oil...brand or quality didn't matter. ... Dr. Yoo, when we saw him, treated us as a human. ... Both IUI's involved Menopur and a trigger shot, followed by progesterone for the two week window after each cycle.
This was a Kaiser facility. ... Nursing staff was detailed and did answer all of our questions. However, you have to know which questions you need to ask. ... The staff generally did their part to make me feel like a human; however, the approach the clinic takes overall made me feel like a number. ... We were directed to trigger possibly a day earlier as there were no clinic hours on Sundays. ...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Yoo was frank and we appreciated that. We were somewhat limited considering this was the only health "coverage" for fertility that we had. For that I have to have realistic expectations in what that quality of care might look like. Attention to detail is huge in this industry. While our hospital bracelets and documents were always checked and cross-checked prior to any procedure there was a red flag for me during initial visits. During a consult after receiving initial labs, another couple's information was being referred to. This couple had "better" lab results than I did and so I questioned Dr. Yoo's take on our situation as I had already viewed our lab results and knew they were not as good as he'd indicated. He apologized and I get it...there are a lot more of us seeking fertility treatment than any of us think. It's easy to get confused. Dr. Yoo provided no direction in regards to nutrition other than take a prenatal and fish oil...brand or quality didn't matter.
Do your fertility homework. Read a couple of fertility books, and recent journal articles that talk about egg quality and both eastern and western approaches to fertility. Make a list of questions to be asked and diagnostics you want done. I suspect nothing is said regarding nutrition and supplements because of liability issues. Regarding any diet and nutrition guidance, you may be on your own on this one.
Dr. Yoo, when we saw him, treated us as a human. The staff generally did their part to make me feel like a human; however, the approach the clinic takes overall made me feel like a number. There was a bit of turnover during our first cycle with some warmer staff leaving and newer staff taking over that lacked the the same warmth and genuine sense of care. The greatest contributor towards feeling like a number at this clinic was during the medication teaching. There were 20+ women in the class and for the majority, this was not their first or second time with using Menopur for IUI. There were so many patients that it was hard to not feel like a number. The instructor did make every effort to answer questions. All patients in the class were being treated with the same drug (one box approach for all patients). Lastly, weekends or holidays impact cycles. We were directed to trigger possibly a day earlier as there were no clinic hours on Sundays. Considering the time/money/effort/stress, the feeling of the clinic trying to "fit" your cycle into their working hours also contributed to feeling like a number.
Thorough and timely with responding to messages in detail.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
This was a Kaiser facility. The clinic feels like an average medical office on a medical campus. Nursing staff was detailed and did answer all of our questions. However, you have to know which questions you need to ask. We absolutely learned that we have to advocate for our own health.
Some medications were covered at 50% with insurance. Co-pays for each office visit were $25. Roughly $2000 for each IUI (including insurance).
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
There are changes that can be made in diet/nutrition and supplements that can significantly improve the outcomes of some fertility treatments. Even when asked about these areas specifically nothing was mentioned about DHEA or Ubiquinol for women with DOR.
+ Read more- Read less
Dr Fong, is attentive and listened to my concerns the whole time. I never felt like she was rushing me or dismissed my concerns! She was empathetic and informative of my possible solutions. Whenever I email she immediately responds, and is very easy to get a hold of. I can’t say enough great things about her!... She presented options to me, and gave me information about next steps. Precious fertility doctor was dismissive of my concerns brought forth, but Dr Fong listened to all them and acknowledged them.
Prompt on appointments, not a long wait time. Very clean as well. Nursing staff is kind, and answers any questions you may have. It can be a tad confusing on which building because Kaiser is so large, however they send out email, mail appointment reminders prior to the appointment. The kaiser app is also very helpful... With my insurance fertility treatments are covered 50%. I pay the remaining 50% cost the day off, and I’m billed for any tests.
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
She did not dismiss my concerns. She listened to all me the whole time. I did not feel rushed during our appointment either. She presented options to me, and gave me information about next steps. Precious fertility doctor was dismissive of my concerns brought forth, but Dr Fong listened to all them and acknowledged them.
Describe any concerns and issues you’re having and she will answer them. She provides informative literature hand outs as well.
Telephone clomid. 3-6 cycles of clomid. Clomid starting at 50mg. If ovulation did not occur then increase in dosage. Have intercourse from day 9 to 21 every other day progesterone check day 21.
Prompt on responding to emails and providing instructions for the next round of clomid
Not discussed yet
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
With my first fertility doctor, not Dr Fong, my previous Dr read the wrong results. He told me I had no eggs left and the only way to get pregnant would be to use donor eggs. Then he made a comment about my age, to which I immediately corrected that I was younger than he stated. He looked at his chart, asked me my appointment time and apologized that he read the wrong results. He then pulled up my file and read my results. It was traumatizing and soon after I switched doctors and found Dr Fong
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Fong made my husband and I feel like we weren’t just another patient that goes through the office. On our first meeting we came out feeling like there was hope and unfortunately it hasn’t gone our way but Dr.Fong makes me feel in a never give up way when I see her.... She never sugar coated what I had she was very clear from day 1and I thank her for that. When I have a canceled treatment because my body wasn’t ready there was never any sense of that’s it let’s move on.
The clinic [Kaiser- Fontana] is very good they are usually very fast and really work hard to work with you. They are located next to the offices where the pregnant patients go to so it is a bit hard when your their to try to make a baby and right next to it is just a swarm of pregnant women. Other than that it is a great clinic.... They worked hard to work around you and make you feel as comfortable as they can make it. All were great.
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Fong and her staff have made me feel like there not just there because it’s their job. They do this because they wanna help. Since the first meeting to every appointment and treatment I’ve had since Dr. Fong has answered all my questions with compassion and certainty. She never sugar coated what I had she was very clear from day 1and I thank her for that. When I have a canceled treatment because my body wasn’t ready there was never any sense of that’s it let’s move on. Instead she made me feel like this time it didn’t happen but we’re not giving up, she then would proceed with what can we do better. Dr. Fong has been a great Doctor since day one of meeting her.
Listen to all her advice,she really knows what she is doing.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic is very good they are usually very fast and really work hard to work with you. They are located next to the offices where the pregnant patients go to so it is a bit hard when your their to try to make a baby and right next to it is just a swarm of pregnant women. Other than that it is a great clinic.
I am lucky enough to have a great insurance plan so I only spent money on all my medications. The only cost my insurance does not cover is IVF and it’s most likely the only way I might get pregnant.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Fong has a very soft bedside manner and seems to care, but at times it is difficult to make sure you see her at all appointments. Dr. Fong is not always available. During one cycle, neither Dr. was available and patients were told to wait until next cycle.... I had an IUI done and it was negative. Next IUI, medication was increased and my cycle had to be cancelled because I had too many follicles that were going to be released. I felt this cycle was poorly monitored
The nursing staff in the front office seem to have some sympathy and seem to care. They do try and return your call or email asap.... at Kaiser, as patients, we do not always get to see our doctors. Sometimes we are seen by another Dr. or RN, this makes me feel a little less important because I feel, I am not getting the care I deserve from one individual and there might be some miscommunication at times when there are a few people involved in my care.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Please go in with a goal. If they can not do anything for you in the first 3 months please seek other help. I feel as if I lost time and some money.
Dr. Fong has been a little more proactive than my last doctor, but at Kaiser, as patients, we do not always get to see our doctors. Sometimes we are seen by another Dr. or RN, this makes me feel a little less important because I feel, I am not getting the care I deserve from one individual and there might be some miscommunication at times when there are a few people involved in my care.
I am currently still under treatment. I was suggested 3 medicated cycles with injections. First cycle was using Menopur and dosages were increased for almost 12 days. I had an IUI done and it was negative. Next IUI, medication was increased and my cycle had to be cancelled because I had too many follicles that were going to be released. I felt this cycle was poorly monitored and there was no communication from my Dr.When I when in for the ultrasound,the RN suggested I cancel and asked why my Dr. did not bring me in earlier, it was a holiday.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Ask Dr. all the questions possible. Make them spend time with you and answer any concerns you may have. Do not let them tell you they do not have room for you when you are making appointments. Make sure nurses go over all medication with you and your partner.
My insurance covers most of my office visits, medications, and procedures.
+ Read more- Read less

She [Dr. Rubal] was unavailable to answer questions, told me I needed surgery to remove large ovarian cyst and she would find me a well fit surgeon but then left on vacation for 2 weeks without telling me. Never followed up regarding my surgery for cyst removal. Through the 10 plus appointments, she always seemed to be pushing me out the door, rather than truly explaining my case and options to me.
The communication between the Doctors and staff is not the greatest, thus leaving the patient to have to advocate and explain personal situation frequently. On some day's this left me feeling like a number rather than a human. In Kaiser, you have to deal with each department separately, and they do not all communicate together which makes it very difficult to navigate...they would neglect to follow up regarding HSG tests or scheduled appointments.
How was your experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Rubal is very caring and empathetic to the difficulties of infertility treatments. She is candid about the risks and potential negatives of each course of treatment. On the weaknesses, Dr Rubal threw climid at me even though she explained there was less than 5% chance it would work. Dr Rubal informed me that I needed to get another cyst removed before moving forward, but did not discuss what would come next after my cyst removal. Dr Rubal also neglected to follow up and be along with the symptoms I was experiencing due to a 7 inch cyst. I inquired about freezing eggs due to risk of losing my one and only ovary left prior to my surgery. Dr Rubal informed me there "was no way" which was very unsettling without fully understanding why there was "no way" to freeze eggs.
Advocate for yourself, tell her how you are feeling and what you need.
She was unavailable to answer questions, told me I needed surgery to remove large ovarian cyst and she would find me a well fit surgeon but then left on vacation for 2 weeks without telling me. Never followed up regarding my surgery for cyst removal. Through the 10 plus appointments, she always seemed to be pushing me out the door, rather than truly explaining my case and options to me.
HSG test (3 times) too see if tube is blocked 2 ovarian cyst removal surgeries 2 rounds of clomid - 1 at 50 mg -1 at 100 mg both she only followed up via email and I never stepped foot into her office during the rounds of clomid
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
There are very few options through Kaiser's Reproductive Endocrine department. I believe there are only 2 doctors to choose from and the department is severely impacted. The communication between the Doctors and staff is not the greatest, thus leaving the patient to have to advocate and explain personal situation frequently. On some day's this left me feeling like a number rather than a human. In Kaiser, you have to deal with each department separately, and they do not all communicate together which makes it very difficult to navigate.
Most was covered through insurance benefits. We had a 15 dollar co-pay for each visit. My HSG tests had no co-pay, and my surgeries had 15 dollar copay
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Dr Rubal would inform me that her front desk/nurses would follow up with me and they would neglect to follow up regarding HSG tests or scheduled appointments.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
Extremely caring and honest. Dr. Baker was and has been very upfront with us about the odds and the risks of what we are trying for. She has been kind and patient with us, especially given our lack of knowledge on the subject of infertility. She has treated us like people and has always taken care to make sure we felt like the most important people on her caseload.... My wife and I felt like she was genuinely pulling for us to get pregnant. She went out of her way to inform us and follow up with us, even after the most "basic" treatment or consultation. We could (and can) tell how genuine a person she is.
Kaiser is thorough, efficient, and flexible in their hours..... Like Dr. Baker, the nursing staff was incredible. I know that places like Kaiser have a bad reputation because of how large they are, but honestly, my wife and I never felt like we were being treated like numbers even by the nursing staff. We always felt cared for and we always felt like we were the most important people in the hospital.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
How was your experience with Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Bring questions when you meet with her. She will answer them all, and will do so in a very honest manner.
I honestly don't remember the details. It's a difficult thing for me to have to go through - especially knowing the slim chances of it working - and anticipating the disappointment. I mostly listen and let my wife be the expert.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Can't remember her name, but she was equally caring, understanding, and patient.)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser is thorough, efficient, and flexible in their hours.
At first, before we took on double coverage, we were paying about $145 per visit, and over $800-1000 for medication. Once we added double coverage, our IUI treatments we basically fully covered.
Describe Marsha Baker's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I completely back her approach (multiple). She understands my wife's situation and has recommended we be as aggressive as possible.

2014 - 2017
Our nursing team [at Kaiser Orange County] was excellent. They were warm, funny, and encouraging.... The Kaiser building that I went to in Irvine is clean and comfortable. All of the appointments are in the morning and traffic can sometimes be a little crazy. But the moment I came into the office I felt comfortable and knew that I was in the best possible hands.... For our first IUI round we did a combination of Clomid and Menopur injections. With the combination of those drugs I was able to create 3 follicles, after the IUI I used Estrogen Suppositories. After that round was unsuccessful, we added more Menopur and extra Estrogen to thicken my lining. Because I had responded to the Menopur so well we were very optimistic that this would be our round.
2014 - 2017
How was your experience with Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
The thing that I love about Dr. Rosencrantz is his honesty. He has an ability to present the facts clearly, but also with empathy. He's not afraid to tell you when it's time to move on to another course of treatment, because he has already weighed the risks and thought about what would be the best possible outcome for you and your family. I remember coming back to see him to start trying for our second child after the stillbirth of our daughter he knew all of the details. He made sure to acknowledge the loss of our daughter, he even used her name when we talked about her. He helped us come up with the best course of action in our journey to conceive our next baby. You can tell that he genuinely cares about his patients and only wants the best for them.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Don't be put off by his honesty. Some people are afraid of people who are really honest with them. But in the business of fertility you want someone who is honest. You want someone who is going to tell you what the best possible options are and also when it is time to move on to a different treatment. Some doctors will let you continue to spend money on things that will not really help you. Dr. Rosencrantz is not afraid to speak the truth, which in the long run will benefit you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
My Husband and I have always loved Dr. Rosencrantz's honesty and empathy. We first saw him a few years ago when we were diagnosed with male factor infertility. After deciding to take a break from trying my husband and I found out that we were expecting, sadly that pregnancy ended in a stillbirth of our daughter at 28 weeks. During this whole experience Dr. Rosencrantz has taken the time to really learn about my husband and I and our stillborn baby. He has helped us come up with what we believe will be the best plan for a successful IVF cycle.
Describe the protocols Marcus Rosencrantz used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
After the stillbirth of our daughter my husband and I decided that we wanted to try IUI six months after her death. We sat down with Dr. Rosencrantz and went over our test results. Since our fertility issues are related to male factor, he recommended some additional things my husband could do to improve his morphology. For our first IUI round we did a combination of Clomid and Menopur injections. With the combination of those drugs I was able to create 3 follicles, after the IUI I used Estrogen Suppositories. After that round was unsuccessful, we added more Menopur and extra Estrogen to thicken my lining. Because I had responded to the Menopur so well we were very optimistic that this would be our round. But it too was unsuccessful. For our third and final IUI we decided that since the last cycle had gone so well we would continue everything the same as the last cycle. This cycle also went well, but it did not result in a positive pregnancy test. After all that we had been through, Dr. Rosencrantz presented a few different options to my husband and I. His recommendation was that we move on to IVF. We cause we are young and I have a high egg count he thinks this would be the best option for us. At this time we have decided to work towards IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Daisy )
Our nursing team was excellent. They were warm, funny, and encouraging.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I was very fortunate that Kaiser covers 50% of my fertility medications. The IUI cost was covered completely by my insurance. Each time I saw him it was a $ 20 co-pay. In total each cycle was about $ 400-500.
Describe Marcus Rosencrantz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Our Doctor recommends transferring two embryos but has said that we can do anywhere from one to five.
Marcus Rosencrantz
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

Unexplained, Other
A huge strength of Rosencrantz is his communication skills, he makes sure that you fully understand what is going on and that you understand the information given to you. The only negative is that he isn't very open minded about holistic treatments to aide in the medical ones, but not many doctors are.... We went through a low level of IUI. Rosencrantz wanted us to begin at a higher level, but frankly I have a massive fear or needles and wasn't comfortable with more injections than the lower level. I am currently taking 50 mg of Clomid for two months.
The office staff [at Kaiser Irvine Medical Center] were friendly, but sometimes it can be slightly difficult to make an appointment.... The only thing that went wrong was they forgot to order an essential blood test on cycle day three. It happened to land on a Sunday which meant the office itself was closed. What should have been a 5 minute process ended up taking an hour to complete... The nursing staff were friendly. but seemed to be a bit overwhelmed every time I was there.
European, Latino
Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how dumb you might feel asking them or if you feel like you're asking to many. Rosencrantz gladly makes certain you are comfortable with the road ahead, and you have all the information you need.
Rosencrantz always took the time needed to ensure that both my husband and I were comfortable with the upcoming treatments or procedures. He was always willing to answer our questions and never tried to hurry us or make us feel like we were just a number.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The office staff were friendly, but sometimes it can be slightly difficult to make an appointment.
Our plan covered 50% of costs. The low level of IUI that we did ended up costing about $5,000
Marcus Rosencrantz

Male Factor, Other
One of the things that I would advise future patients with dr. Park make sure you be on top of every little test that she sends you to do so you can get results quickly make sure that you can be in contact with her by email so you can get better service since Kaiser just do appointments you need to be calling just make sure that every little thing that she sent you to two do for testing it's done and send email to confirm
Every time Alma [a nurse at Kaiser] and I spoke through the phone she was very nice make sure that every little thing that needed to be communicated to me was done repeated it more than twice as if I have any questions any concerns for me to let her know and she will transfer the information to dr. Park after me getting my tube tests done I was in a lot of pain I call her make sure that If I had to take any kind of pills she said no the following day she called just wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing she gave me so much information make sure that I was doing good make sure that I was okay call me the next day to check up on me very attentive with me love the communication that I had with Alma
Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with Alice Park at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
At the beginning dr. Park was really attentive she gave us as much information as she could she gave us hope just with the whole situation of my husband going through diabetes after going to the second visit she really did not know what was going on with the visit that my husband had with the specialist she kind of told us that there was no hope because he was diabetic the only way of doing this was IVF artificial insemination was not a 100% sure she gave us 0% on success with this what I really liked about dr. Park she was willing to try doing artificial insemination even though the percentage was very low IVF was our last resource since she told us it was kind of expensive so at this point my only hope is to do IVF I still believe that we can try artificial insemination even with a lowe rate of success as I told dr. Park we've been trying for three years we've been married for three years and we've been trying to conceive naturally but since my husband is diabetic not having sperm come out I really believe that dr. Park is giving me the correct information to proceed with IVF I know IVF could be expensive in a long journey but we're willing to try every bit of Hope
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alice Park at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alice Park at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
She explained to us as much as she could .still working with us to see how much she could do for us. Chances are so small but she gave us hope.
Describe the protocols Alice Park used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
The plan to proceed for fertilization was for my husband to start taking pills to produce sperm after having test done with sperm and urine test for my husband we were going to proceed with me having artificial insemination since hast been kind of impossible for my husband to produce sperm we have not been able to do any kind of artificial insemination The Next Step she told us to do was IVF and IVF is just out of the question at this point with us we're waiting on some urine test to come back to see if they're able to do artificial insemination with the urine since sperm is going to the urine
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Alma)
Every time Alma and I spoke through the phone she was very nice make sure that every little thing that needed to be communicated to me was done repeated it more than twice as if I have any questions any concerns for me to let her know and she will transfer the information to dr. Park after me getting my tube tests done I was in a lot of pain I call her make sure that If I had to take any kind of pills she said no the following day she called just wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing she gave me so much information make sure that I was doing good make sure that I was okay call me the next day to check up on me very attentive with me love the communication that I had with Alma
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I have been with Kaiser for the past year I like the whole system that Kaiser has since everything is done in Kaiser test team lab everything that needs to be done is done there the only thing that I don't like is no walk-ins make sure we call in every time we have to see doctor Park every time we have an appointment
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alice Park at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Our cause with dr. Park was not expensive since we have insurance through my husband's work the only copies we did was $5 every time we went to visit her no lab pay the only thing that is not a cover through our insurance is IVF
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The day my husband took in his urine test to make sure if sperm was in the urine they didn't even know what to do with the urine we had to go and talk to dr. Park and dr. Park didn't know any kind of results with the urine didn't show that they received the urine so since we have been struggling with sperm every little thing that we had to show sperm it was lost nobody has called us back with urine results and still waiting for the specialist to call
+ Read more- Read less
I feel like he's [Dr. Yoo] compassionate but will let you know unfortunate facts about your diagnosis and or treatments . ( hes a sensitive straight shooter ) He has never made me feel dumb in any way or got offended by me asking why does he do this when I hear other doctors do that ... YOO is a breath of fresh air compared to the others and with him I finally feel hopeful .I've been seen by 2 other doctors . He's the only one who took me seriously , listen and came up with a plan that fit my wants and needs .
Everyone [at Kaiser] acts like they care :D ... [Nurses] So far they're all sweet . I have not had any issues . I appreciate them calling me back in a timely manner when I had questions .... Luckily I have only had co payments...I feel like he's [Dr. Yoo] compassionate but will let you know unfortunate facts about your diagnosis and or treatments . ( hes a sensitive straight shooter ) He has never made me feel dumb in any way or got offended by me asking why does he do this when I hear other doctors do that .
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I feel like he's compassionate but will let you know unfortunate facts about your diagnosis and or treatments . ( hes a sensitive straight shooter ) He has never made me feel dumb in any way or got offended by me asking why does he do this when I hear other doctors do that . Like I've mentioned I've seen other doctors , YOO is a breath of fresh air compared to the others and with him I finally feel hopeful .
He listens , ask as many questions as you want .
My 1st round of clomid 150 , I made way too many follicles to do iui so YOO cut back on the clomid . Next month we did the clomid 125 , I didn't produce any :,( so we did another round , produced one , pulled the trigger than did an iui . 2 weeks later , I didn't get my period but I got an yeast infection . I called the clinic the nurse called me back , she put in for a hsg test and gave me information on treatment for my yeast infection . My hsg test was negative &lt;1 . So now I'm waiting for my period so that I can start my next treatment ( hopefully iui with injectables ) YOO will always take what I want into consideration, if I want to do injectables and he finds it possible he will say yes .
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Debra )
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Everyone acts like they care :D
Luckily I have only had co payments
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Lin - when she was available to meet - always took time and care. The issue is that she's not always available and care gets handed around to other doctor's, and then it's your responsibility as the patient to make sure everyone's on the same page. Being stressed doesn't help this, and sometimes details can get lost...Each doctor has their own style of treatment - Dr. Lin's is very conservative but she explains everything that's going on and the risks of alternate courses of treatment...
[Kaiser - SD has...] Limited office hours especially on the weekends. Staff is friendly and wants to be helpful. Sometimes details get lost...The ladies in the office are really great in person and over the phone they're helpful. I've had a few times where I've had to explain a situation that's long and reception needed to condense my message - details get lost, so I try to boil down the issue and resolution needed. Not always easy when you're dealing with all the hormones/high stakes...
How was your experience with Li-Shei Lin at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
She's very thorough. As I mentioned in another section, when your care gets handed off to another doctor that's when issues occur. Each doctor has their own style of treatment - Dr. Lin's is very conservative but she explains everything that's going on and the risks of alternate courses of treatment.
Make sure you get each appointment with her or Dr. Yoo.
Describe the protocols Li-Shei Lin used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
Because of my PCOS they were very light to start with IUI injectables, but when I pushed back they were receptive to upping dosage and explaining why (though that took several calls and messages to get a call back).
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
$20 copay (with very good health insurance coverage)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Notes that one doctor wrote down were misinterpreted by another doctor - caused issues when care had to be handed between physicians. They failed to catch a class C medication I was taking and I had to wait 6 months to start infertility treatment. Requests for calls back often get translated into messages through KP.org.
Li-Shei Lin
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Li-Shei Lin at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

Dr. Park is very no-nonsense and to the point. Her treatment, with me anyway, was pretty aggressive which I appreciated. She is not the gentlest with her touch (AKA the wand) but I got used to that....The nursing staff/medical assistants all differed. It completely depended who you ended up with on your visit and it was usually a different person each time. Some were very knowledgeable, compassionate, and explained everything thoroughly. Some, not so much. I would just keep asking questions until I felt like I fully understood what I needed to.
Kaiser Fontana has a lot of negatives. #1 - Parking is HORRIFIC. It would sometimes take me 20-30 minutes to find an open spot. #2 - It's very confusing to find the RE door. There's a random door with a doorbell next to it that you need to ring in order to check in. You cannot check in at the normal, OB check in desk nearby. #3 - The RE shares a waiting room with OB. Be prepared to see LOTS of pregnant women and I even witnessed some finding out they were pregnant. Insensitive placement if you ask me! The strengths are their doctors. I saw 4 different RE docs while there and all of them were top notch.
European, Other
How was your experience with Alice Park at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Don't be afraid to ask any and all questions and be very up front with her.
For the most part, treated like a human. She can be blunt and to the point which some may not like, however, I appreciated it.
IUI #1 - 50 mg of Clomid, resulted in 2 good follicles, IUI resulting in negative pregnancy test. IUI #2 - 100 mg of Clomid, resulted in 3 good follicles, IUI resulting in negative pregnancy test. IUI #3 - She gave me the choice of doing Clomid + Injectables or Injectables only and explained the pros/cons. I went with injectables only (Menopur), can't remember exact dosage but it was all based on multiple blood tests & lots of ultrasounds. Only 1 good follicle resulting in negative pregnancy test. Prior to IUI #4 - Found multiple cysts on my ovaries from the prior cycle. Put me on birth control for 21 days. I was very discouraged and ready to give up at this point! IUI #4 - Injectables, 4 good follicles resulting in a positive pregnancy test! Currently 10 weeks pregnant with twins
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Fortunately, my insurance covered the cost of 6 IUI's. I just had to cover our co-payments.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Alice Park at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

Dr Baker reviewed my many years of medical records, she adjusted my course of treatment each cycle and she did a saline ultrasound after my miscarriage which led to a procedure to remove something she found that I think helped me avoid another miscarriage.... 1. Clomid and a trigger shot (ovidrel). First cycle and I had Pcos and my husband tested mostly in the normal range - so the focus was on developing fully grown eggs and releasing them. Pregnancy then miscarriage at 6 weeks. 2. Clomid and no response and holidays prevented shots. No trigger because I didn't respond to the clomid. 3. Letrozole + menopur shots + ovidrel trigger. Because I didn't respond to clomid. Negative pregnancy test. 4. Letrozole + shots + trigger + IUI because timed intercourse was not successful. Negative pregnancy test. 5 and 6. Same as 4 but with adjustment to the shots 7. Similar protocol to 4 but adjusted shots and amounts. Live birth - single
It [USC] was very busy and almost always full. Especially on days for IUI. The waits could run very long and once my pregnancy blood test was not called in stat. ... They were very nice and Dr Baker's primary nurse remembered me and how we were doing. They were all so happy when we graduated. The nurse that called with certain test results once told me to increase my medication which was not what Dr Baker had said so I pushed back and the nurse went back to Dr Baker and then called me back to confirm the orignal plan.
How was your experience with Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Take notes and be sure to be clear about your course of treatment so you can follow and ask all your questions.
They knew who I was and remembered me.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
It was very busy and almost always full. Especially on days for IUI. The waits could run very long and once my pregnancy blood test was not called in stat. I have nothing more to add but this requires 200 characters.
The costs were covered by insurance except for a $10 co-pay each visit
Anovulation, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
She [Dr. Marsha Baker] was very proactive to get me the surgeries needed to correct my uterine abnormalities so I would be able to carry a baby to term.... She was very friendly and did most of my procedures. for monitoring appointments I mostly saw nurses but they would refer to her about adjustments in medicines if needed. also, she was able to get me the meds I needed through my insurance when they didn't want to cover a specific medicine but that was the only one I responded to so she knew it was worth getting for me.
European, Other
Anovulation, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
How was your experience with Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
be patient because it can take a bit of time to start treatment. I was hoping to start treatment within the first month of seeing Dr. Baker but she wanted to get my body ready for doing a treatment cycle so I didn't start meds until 7-8 months after my consultation with her. Again, that was also partly due to the way Kaiser works and it took a bit of time to get surgery booked.
She was very proactive to get me the surgeries needed to correct my uterine abnormalities so I would be able to carry a baby to term. The only downside was that when I emailed her, her nurse or a nurse in the office would get back to me which I think was more of Kaisers policy rather than her just not returning my message.
we did clomid 150 mg with trigger and timed intercourse, clomid 150 mg with trigger and IUI, menopur 75 IU with trigger and IUI, follistim 75 IU with trigger and IUI, Gonal F 100 IU with trigger and IUI, follistim 75 IU and femara with trigger and timed intercourse.
they we're good and always answered my questions and got back with me quickly after they got my blood test results.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
because it's kaiser, it's in a building with other offices...more specifically the OBGYN offices which stinks seeing pregnant women or newborns while TTCing. the good thing though is that the clinic, laboratory and pharmacy are all in the same building. downside is that the clinic is open M-F but only open half day on Saturdays. also, I believe the lab and pharmacy are closed on Saturday but there's a lab and pharmacy in a nearby building for Saturday's. a little inconvienent but still doable.
because my insurance was through kaiser, I had a reduced rate than if I went through a private clinic and had to pay out of pocket.
IVF was not an option at my clinic =(
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
the registered nurse told me to make sure I had my blood drawn BEFORE I came in for my appointment but when I went into the lab (same building but separate floor) the order wasn't in the system. I had to go up to the clinic and have them put in the order and then go back down to get blood drawn. that only happened once or twice in two years though.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
Her [Dr. Park] weakness is she is not approachable as a infertility doctor should be. ... She was very knowledgeable on the process of what to expect. There were times I felt she was not so approachable when I wanted her to explain things a little more in detail. ... She could not explain why I was not getting pregnant after mutiple ultrasounds, and other test pertaining to my fertility. ... I was prescribed a higher dose of clomid for another cycle.
The clinic is busy so schedule appointments in advance. Some doctors are friendly then others but do not hesitate to ask questions. Many medications and treatment options become costly fast, especially when insurance does not cover it. ... The nursing staff was always welcoming. They had all my paperwork, labs and medicine ready to go. I enjoyed that the office was always clean and organized.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Alice Park at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
She was very knowledgeable on the process of what to expect. There were times I felt she was not so approachable when I wanted her to explain things a little more in detail. Of course she knows all the terminology to infertility. I do.not, it made me hestiant to communicate how I really felt at times. Her weakness is she is not approachable as a infertility doctor should be. She could not explain why I was not getting pregnant after mutiple ultrasounds, and other test pertaining to my fertility.
Do not be afraid to ask questions, this is your body and your future baby. Express to the doctor how you feel every step of the way. If you do not fully understand something ask Alice Park to explain it again.
She made me feel timid to ask questions. As if she answered it mutiple times a day, but, for me it was all new. I was very nervous to do testing & she did not make it so easy.
I used clomid 50mg dose for 3 cycles with Dr.Park. I had a test done in my fallopain tubes where dye spilled out each end. The tubes were not blocked. I had mutiple ultrasounds to check for cyst or blockage. These test cams back normal. I was prescribed a higher dose of clomid for another cycle. But I have had two miscarriages since.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Rochelle sims )
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic is busy so schedule appointments in advance. Some doctors are friendly then others but do not hesitate to ask questions. Many medications and treatment options become costly fast, especially when insurance does not cover it. Ask the clinic if the know of organizations that give discount on medication.
Under my insurance at the time it was free.
Describe Alice Park's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
They recommended I have 2 embryos transfers.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I needed paperwork to be filled to enter a fertility contest and they did not give me all the information I felt I needed.

2011 - 2012
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr Yoo was awesome! He is a good teacher and explained everything so well. He was always candid with us and even after our failed IUI was very frank with us and spent a lot of time (probably an hour or so) going over our options in detail. He would give us printed out copies of journal articles if I wanted more info. He was amazing!... We first started a cycle with clomid that was going well, but the clomid made me start seeing things. We had to cancel the cycle and go to injectables (menopur) as a result.
Since it is Kaiser they aren’t open all weekend and IUI is done on different locations than IVF. They don’t have their own lab but share with another clinic. At the time (may have changed now) they were unable to do fresh PGS transfers as they had to send them to another lab for testing.... Dagmar was amazing! She always returned emails and phone calls right away. She was kind and compassionate. She remembered me every appiontment. You could see that she truly cared for us and wanted us to be successful.
2011 - 2012
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Ask questions! He will give you the answers! But be sure to find out beforehand if he will be the on doing you IUI day of beforehand so you are not taken off guard. As it is a Kaiser clinic, Dr Yoo has little control over things like who works on the weekend.
Dr Yoo remembered us every time we saw him. His staff remembered me too. They were very careful to go over all the details of everything happening during the process. They even gave us an hcg shot in clinic and let us pay them back later as we had to trigger earlier than was expected.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Dagmar)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Our IUI cycle was covered by insurance. So all in all for our 2 cycles (one was canceled but we still did all the monitoring appointments and blood draws) we spent about $1900 total on testing, visit co-pays, and medication.

Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Kashani started off with medication in pill form for the first 3 cycles. We had ultrasound follow ups and revisited our fertility plan after each cycle. She was super friendly but it seemed like we were going off a checklist instead of evaluating what we could do to make a cycle optimal and prevent cancelation. It felt like our path was to go to IVF.
The nursing staff [Kaiser] was awesome. They were always to positive and friendly. It felt like they genuinely wanted to see you succeed. ... The office is very friendly, flexible and are great communicators. Unfortunately, they do not do IVF at the Kaiser location but the doctor is able to do it out of Reproductive Fertility Center close by which is convenient.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Banafsheh Kashani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Kashani is informative and uses visuals to help in understanding our fertility and what paths we can take. She was upfront about our chances of conceiving and provided resources to better understand the process. She hinted more to going to IVF when two of the medications weren’t working even though we still had other options to continue for a successful IUI. We were then scheduled with a different doctor for our next cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Banafsheh Kashani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Banafsheh Kashani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Kashani and her staff were very welcoming. She made us feel very comfortable while going through a somewhat scary process. She answered all of our questions and has made herself available through email for any concerns.
Describe the protocols Banafsheh Kashani used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
The nursing staff was awesome. They were always to positive and friendly. It felt like they genuinely wanted to see you succeed.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Banafsheh Kashani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
As a Kaiser member, we had a 50% co-pay for all procedures and appointments.
Banafsheh Kashani
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Banafsheh Kashani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
[Dr. Ben-Ozer] was able to convey her message that time was running out, I'm 41, but was also encouraging and compassionate. She immediately expressed that it was courageous and scary to start this process but she was there to help. She was very kind. Every time I meet with her she gives me a hug. I have complete confidence in her assessments and direction that she would like me to go...I have to have polyps and fibroids removed in two separate procedures. Ben-Ozer has suggested that egg retrieval happen before since I have low ovarian reserve a one level suggests a quick decline of my egg health. She has made clear that egg retrieval is the priority since it may take a while to schedule the procedures.
The nursing staff [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] are always nice and encouraging... is very efficient. Patient's do not spend a lot of time in the waiting room and there is a wall dedicated to encouraging notes to patients. Check in can be somewhat confusing if you use the self check in. It's easier to go to the window to check in because you will get directed to the correct room...I have to have polyps and fibroids removed in two separate procedures. Ben-Ozer has suggested that egg retrieval happen before since I have low ovarian reserve a one level suggests a quick decline of my egg health. She has made clear that egg retrieval is the priority since it may take a while to schedule the procedures.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Snunit Ben-Ozer was able to convey her message that time was running out, I'm 41, but was also encouraging and compassionate. She immediately expressed that it was courageous and scary to start this process but she was there to help. She was very kind. Every time I meet with her she gives me a hug. I have complete confidence in her assessments and direction that she would like me to go.
Be ready to hear the truth even if it hurts. She is there to help.
She was honest about the health of eggs at my age but was positive about finding out the issues and compassionate. She always gives me a hug when I leave her office.
The nursing staff are always nice and encouraging.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser's Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility Department is very efficient. Patient's do not spend a lot of time in the waiting room and there is a wall dedicated to encouraging notes to patients. Check in can be somewhat confusing if you use the self check in. It's easier to go to the window to check in because you will get directed to the correct room.
Since I was going through my insurance and I had repeated pregnancy loss I only had to pay $90 for a full work up.