7.2

3250 Fordham St
San Diego, CA 92110
1-800-290-5000

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
When we (my husband and I) first met her [Dr. Snunit Ben-Ozer], we had hopes because the communication was good. But then, cycle after cycle, I get to see her less and I am handled by either other doctors or just nurses. I keep asking her about meds but then she would always direct me to the nurse for instructions. Not everything is bad about her, she is a kind-hearted woman and tries her best...The treatments that were given to me (pills, injections) were not made FOR ME. It's like a "common way of treatment for all" like all size fits most. I had a mild OHSS for one cycle but I still got the same treatments/pills after that.
The clinic [Kaiser Permanente] is clean and they even have free snacks/tea/coffee at the waiting room. Each room that I got to be in is always clean...There's a little bit of wait time esp when checking in and there are few people in the office...The treatments that were given to me (pills, injections) were not made FOR ME. It's like a "common way of treatment for all" like all size fits most. I had a mild OHSS for one cycle but I still got the same treatments/pills after that.
How was your experience with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
When we (my husband and I) first met her, we had hopes because the communication was good. But then, cycle after cycle, I get to see her less and I am handled by either other doctors or just nurses. I keep asking her about meds but then she would always direct me to the nurse for instructions. Not everything is bad about her, she is a kind-hearted woman and tries her best. However, there was one time when I was double-booked and I waited more than 15 minutes lying on the bed with my legs up on the stirrups and I finally called out the attention of one nurse and I was informed that Dr. Ben-Ozer will be with me soon. So, she came and she just looked so tired and so cranky that she did not smile at all. I was then so devastated because that's when the COVID-19 started so I was debating if I should still continue my treatments or not. I did not get much of an answer. Truth be told, it's still another negative pregnancy test.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Do not be intimidated and ASK QUESTIONS
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the protocols Snunit Ben-Ozer used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
2 CLOMID everyday 2.5 vials of menopur HCG boost everyday Ovidrel on ovulation day IUI Indometrin vaginal suppository until pregnancy test
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
They are nice nurses but one time, they forgot that I was inside the room and no one checked on me and I had to call my husband so he would come inside the hospital and just ask to check on me at the reception. I didn't want to get up as I was already naked from waist down.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic is clean and they even have free snacks/tea/coffee at the waiting room. Each room that I got to be in is always clean. Sometimes you would see nurses chit chatting but I think it is normal as we are all humans. There's a little bit of wait time esp when checking in and there are few people in the office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
My co-pay each doctor's visit is $5 because I work for the same company. Each medication is also $5. But since I go to the doctor almost every other day during my cycle, it adds up and costs a lot.
Describe Snunit Ben-Ozer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I did not do embryo transfer. But on my IUI cyle, I should have no more than 3 mature follicles.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
If I remember it right, twice, they forgot to put in my medication order so I had to wait a little longer in the pharmacy.
Snunit Ben-Ozer
Los Angeles

He [Dr. Richard Yoo] used real life examples to compare diagnoses or treatment plans. I perceive that his weakness is not suggesting additional treatment plans or tests. I let him know my concerns and which tests other women have used to diagnose that, and he would shut it down immediately by saying it is not necessary for me. I feel that I know my body best. He speaks textbook, but it is not all textbook...Be your own ADVOCATE. Do not let Dr. Yoo tell you to do a year of clomid if that is not what you are comfortable with.
Nursing staff [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] was great! They were compassionate, they demonstrated interest in my journey, and they were encouraging throughout...IVF is out of pocket (~$20000)...Strengths: speedy getting me checked in and finding appointments as needed. When I called with a question for the Dr, they passed on the message promptly, and got back to me within an acceptable time limit...4 cycles of IUI and Clomid 50 mg. 1. 1st day of cycle- call to get a preliminary ultrasound. 2. After preliminary ultrasound, take Clomid for 5 days, usually cycle day 3. 3. Come back for mid cycle ultrasound 4. Trigger shot depending on follicule size 5. IUI 6. Progesterone test 1 week after IUI 7. Pregnancy test 2 weeks after IUI He did not want to give me more than 50 mg of Clomid because he stated that Clomid can make the uterine lining thin.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Yoo was great at breaking down the terminology, and answering the questions in simple terms. He used real life examples to compare diagnoses or treatment plans. I perceive that his weakness is not suggesting additional treatment plans or tests. I let him know my concerns and which tests other women have used to diagnose that, and he would shut it down immediately by saying it is not necessary for me. I feel that I know my body best. He speaks textbook, but it is not all textbook.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Appointments felt rushed. When I asked a question, Dr. Yoo explained it or answered it in an annoyed tone. When I suggested a different treatment plan, I felt unheard. It had to be his way or no way.
Describe the protocols Richard Yoo used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Nursing staff was great! They were compassionate, they demonstrated interest in my journey, and they were encouraging throughout.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
With my insurance, all I had to pay was a copayment ranging from $5-$50. IUI and Clomid are covered under my insurance, except IVF which is the next step. IVF is out of pocket (~$20000).
Describe Richard Yoo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Na

2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Undergoing IUI with male I fertility factor, Dr Yoo was focused mostly on getting the timing right for ovulation. ... He suggested giving IUIs a go, since they were covered by insurance but also advised IVF with ICSI may be required (our next step). ... Dr Yoo is great at coming up with analogies to help you understand treatment. He will personally call with important news, but is slower to respond to email.
Poor communication between clinic [Kaiser Permanente] and pharmacy. Infertility Nurse advised me I likely had kidney stones and NOT a miscarriage, which turned out to be an ectopic pregnancy. Menopur “training” really just a long warning about “what you’re getting yourself in to” and the outrageous complexities of scheduling tests and lab work at multiple locations with inflexible hours. ... The clinic hours and scheduling are horrendous.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Yoo is great at coming up with analogies to help you understand treatment. He will personally call with important news, but is slower to respond to email. He is positive and good natured. He is a little too laid back however and doesn’t always explain the science. He does try to be a good listener, though.
He will answer all your questions, despite the time it takes. So don’t feel pressured to rush through your appointments.
Dr Yoo is friendly and easy to work with. He called me directly with very important news. However his staff is terrible. If asked to rate his staff, I would say they make me very much feel like a number not a human.
Undergoing IUI with male I fertility factor, Dr Yoo was focused mostly on getting the timing right for ovulation. I thankfully responded well to chlomid and never needed my medication adjusted. He suggested giving IUIs a go, since they were covered by insurance but also advised IVF with ICSI may be required (our next step). He also provided care and follow up related to my ectopic pregnancy that resulted from our 4th IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Foust)
Danielle Foust rushed through injectables “training”. She does not exude a kind, patient or compassionate bedside manner. As the advice nurse at the clinic, she reassured me I was not having a miscarriage when in fact I was having an ectopic pregnancy. Worst yet, when I was advised by ER OB to follow up with my RE after diagnosis, she was a direct barrier to me seeing Dr Yoo. She literally wouldn’t allow me to make the appointment. During the most stressful time in my life, she compounded my anxiety and stress.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
No strengths other than Dr Yoo. The clinic hours and scheduling are horrendous. The pharmacy is small, slow and the staff are not kind or patient. Most staff besides Dr Yoo treat you like a number and are not sensitive or compassionate to the needs of a couple undergoing something very hard and stressful. I’m an easy going and patient person, but I have come to wholeheartedly detest this clinic.
We stuck with a clinic we detested because IUIs and chlomid were covered under insurance. So costs were low copays.
He is pro single.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Poor communication between clinic and pharmacy. Infertility Nurse advised me I likely had kidney stones and NOT a miscarriage, which turned out to be an ectopic pregnancy. Menopur “training” really just a long warning about “what you’re getting yourself in to” and the outrageous complexities of scheduling tests and lab work at multiple locations with inflexible hours. C

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Throughout treatment, I had few appointments with Dr. Yoo. In retrospect, this is okay, because I really like the Nurse Practitioner, Dagmar, better....Dr. Yoo probably has a very large caseload, making him less available and much less invested in your particular case. He is blunt and pessimistic. This is what you need to an extent, of course, but he really did little to change protocol or tailor treatment.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Honestly, I think that being the the only Kaiser fertility clinic in San Diego, Dr. Yoo probably has a very large caseload, making him less available and much less invested in your particular case. He is blunt and pessimistic. This is what you need to an extent, of course, but he really did little to change protocol or tailor treatment. He also failed to warn me of a condition with my tubes that could seriously impact my fertility. It wasn't until another doctor reviewed his medical records that I was made aware of the complication. I spent over a year before finding out.
You will have to be your own advocate. Research everything. Ask, sometimes repeatedly, for specifics about your case. If you have DOR, are a "poor responder" to meds, or are older, he is definitely not a good fit. After three failed IUIs, and his failure to alert me to a tubal issue I had, he went straight to telling me I need to give up or go with donor eggs.
Throughout treatment, I had few appointments with Dr. Yoo. In retrospect, this is okay, because I really like the Nurse Practitioner, Dagmar, better. Dr. Yoo did not seem invested in my case and he did not spend much quality time looking into things or discussing with us our case. He typically spoke just in general terms.
The first two IUIs were with Clomid, lower doses that were slightly increased. For the third IUI, I was switched to Menopur, again low dose, to finally maxed out. Throughout the treatement I had one Clomid cycle canceled and one Menopur cycle canceled due to poor response. After that, Dr. Yoo told me to quit trying or use donor eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
The person who I enteracted with most was the Nurse Practitioner, Dagmar Platzer. She was incredibly empathetic and has a great bedside manner. She was always very upfront about my prognosis, but also always offered hope and was willing to talk at length about my particular situation.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser first and foremost is a large private insurance company, so expect to be treated like a number. The San Diego clinic is busy and you have to go by their availability, which can sometimes interfere with your cycle. Everyone is friendly, but it takes a long time for some of them to recognize you, even when you are going frequently. Again, I think this is due to the high volume of patients. If you have anything particular about your case, you're going to have to be your own advocate and research on your own quite a bit.
My insurance covered IUI and related medications. I just had small copays. However, IVF is not covered whatsoever.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
In the hysterosalpingogram procedure, they told me one tube was "a bit abnormal" but that it was not blocked, so it was not a concern. Through reading my medical record, they recorded a hydrosalpinx, which even when not causing blockage, it often causes fertility issues. I did not find this out until I switched doctors. My new RE said I need to have that tube fixed and that in the current condition, IUIs were very likely going to fail, so IVF should have been the recommended treatment, after fixing the tube. Kaiser only vaguely mentioned this issue to me, even though they are the ones who diagnosed it. They never discussed the impact on fertility it has or that there was a procedure that could fix it. I wasted a year on trying IUIs that were most likely going to fail without knowing there was much better treatments I could be doing. At my age, losing a year is not something I can afford.
San Diego

Dr. Goldstein is an RE that whispers the word “intercourse.” She made me feel like IUI would solve all or problems.... I did three of my six unmedicated, and then heard from Dr. Goldstein that if she had realized it was my third that she would have recommended medication.... She never knew what was happening or who I was when I came in the clinic if I was not assigned to see her that day.... The dosage of clomid did nothing for me but thin my lining.
You are just a number. No one knows or remembers you. They [Kaiser Permanente SoCal] don’t know where you are at in your infertility journey, and they don’t seem to care. They don’t respect your time and even try to cancel appointments day of. You will almost never speak to the same person twice. Every appointment feels like you are starting over and having to explain yourself again and again.... They never passed on any of my concerns to the doctor in charge of my care.
How was your experience with Ellen Goldstein at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Goldstein is an RE that whispers the word “intercourse.” She made me feel like IUI would solve all or problems. But she also didn’t pay attention to where we were at in our allotment of partially covered IUIs. I feel like I wasted time and wasn’t given all the information I needed to make wise decisions. I almost never saw her directly or got to speak with her directly until I refused to speak to anyone but her. She was kind at that point and called me saying she didn’t realize that I felt communication was lacking. And after that cycle failed, I never heard from her again. Despite having one more IUI I could try. I will skip that because I would do anything not to go back. I know she has her own clinic outside of what my insurance covers, but I would never choose her as a physician.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ellen Goldstein at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
First, ask for someone else. Second, if you must see her, make sure she communicates all the details. That she explains medications, side effects, what you can expect. Find out how involved she will be and request that you see her. Be your own advocate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ellen Goldstein at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
The kaiser facility makes every patient just a number. You are constantly being shuffled between doctors and there is almost no communication with the doctor in charge of your care.
Describe the protocols Ellen Goldstein used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
I don’t think there was a strategy. I think I was always an after thought. They allowed me to start off with unmedicated cycles, but didn’t pay attention to how many had been done that way. I did three of my six unmedicated, and then heard from Dr. Goldstein that if she had realized it was my third that she would have recommended medication. So, I feel like that one was a waste. She never knew what was happening or who I was when I came in the clinic if I was not assigned to see her that day. The dosage of clomid did nothing for me but thin my lining. I was then moved to menopur injections which also didn’t seem to have much of an effect. I never knew what was to be expected. How many visits I might have, etc. I truly felt there was no protocol for me specifically.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I never saw the same nurse twice. For the most part they were just neutral. In and out and done. I did have one specific nurse at my very first appointment tell me that I just shouldn’t stress and I would probably get pregnant. This was after handing me a packet that had things you could ask family to do for you which included letting them know that telling you not to stress was not helpful.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
You are just a number. No one knows or remembers you. They don’t know where you are at in your infertility journey, and they don’t seem to care. They don’t respect your time and even try to cancel appointments day of. You will almost never speak to the same person twice. Every appointment feels like you are starting over and having to explain yourself again and again.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ellen Goldstein at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
My insurance covered 50% of my care. Every visit just to the office was about $150. The last IUI with injectables cost about $3,000 all together.
Describe Ellen Goldstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
No IVF with her.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
This clinic is Kaiser at Sunset. They canceled appointments, did not answer phones, did not communicate effectively. They never passed on any of my concerns to the doctor in charge of my care.
Ellen Goldstein
Los Angeles

Dr Yoo is kind and always made me feel comfortable and explained things clearly. He is a friendly and knowledgeable doctor. I get the feeling he might have a large patient load. I was able to communicate with him directly via email.... You can't speak with him unless you make an appointment but he will answer emails!... Dr Yoo is very clear and very understanding, the Kaiser System is what made me feel like a number because
Dr Yoo is very clear and very understanding, the Kaiser System is what made me feel like a number because it takes a long time to get questions answered... Kaiser functions like a factory. I needed a lot of answers on my first round of IVF and the communication was challenging to say the least. Its nearly impossible to get a phone consult with the doctor, you have to make an appointment and it could take a month. Strengths - when they cover you they cover you.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Yoo is very clear and very understanding, the Kaiser System is what made me feel like a number because it takes a long time to get questions answered and I get the feeling he has a lot of patients as he is one of 2 fertility doctors that Kaiser has for the San Diego area.
I can't recall my dosages, but I was on menopur and climid for IUI and then testosterone and Estrace for IVF. The IUI failed and the IVF was cancelled due to pregnancy and miscarriage
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Debbie)
Debbie sent every email in all caps which really bothered me. She didn't answer all the questions I had and was hard to get a hold of. She has retired.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
My care was mostly covered by insurance.
Dr Yoo advises one embryo at a time. 2 can be challenging for the mother and the fetus.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I requested an egg retrieval through Kaiser, and just before I was to start my baseline they tell me its not possible through my insurance when previously they had. I am very concerned about time due to my age soI had to scramble to get a new doctor who could see me right away. They misquoted me on the cost of the retrieval by about 5k, so I had to have a challenging renegotiation of financial planning with my husband. They don't have their own doctors or facility to do the surgery.
San Diego

Dr. Rubal was my first Reproductive Endocrinologist. I've suffered multiple miscarriages and was FINALLY referred to a specialist. She has been absolutely amazing. She has explained her course of action, the reasons for it and every risk and possible outcome along the way. Ive cried in her office and she has made me feel hope again.... We were investigating recurrent miscarriage. We first did all the usual blood work. Second made sure my tubes werent blocked and that my uterus was normal shape using a saline sonogram.
I went to Kaiser which does not cover any fertility treatments but did cover my recurrent miscarriage.... [Nurse] Every time I emailed the office with a concern I got an email back that same day or a phone call right away. I know her by name now.... We had several one on one visits [with Dr. Rubel]. I sat her in office and we went deep into detail about what was going on with me and how I was feeling. She was so informative and reassuring
How was your experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Rubal was my first Reproductive Endocrinologist. I've suffered multiple miscarriages and was FINALLY referred to a specialist. She has been absolutely amazing. She has explained her course of action, the reasons for it and every risk and possible outcome along the way. Ive cried in her office and she has made me feel hope again. We are still working on my rainbow baby but I have faith in Dr. Rubal.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Tell her everything you are concerned about. Do not be afraid to email her office.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
We had several one on one visits. I sat her in office and we went deep into detail about what was going on with me and how I was feeling. She was so informative and reassuring but never gave me false expectations. Anytime I emailed her office with any concern one of her nurses would email or call me right away and set up an appointment for me to come in to speak to the doctor or answer any questions or concerns I had. Ive never felt like a number.
Describe the protocols Lauren Alexandra Rubal used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
We were investigating recurrent miscarriage. We first did all the usual blood work. Second made sure my tubes werent blocked and that my uterus was normal shape using a saline sonogram. When she suspected a bicornate uterus or scarring we then did a hysteroscopy. She wanted to remove and scarring before I tried to get pregnant again. When the hysteroscopy showed my uterus was nomal she prescribed progesterone and aspirin to start the next time I get a positive pregnancy test. She also referred me to another specialist to figure out what can be done about my endometriosis pain.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Sorrell)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I went to Kaiser which does not cover any fertility treatments but did cover my recurrent miscarriage. I dont think kaiser covers any fertility treatments which is an issue with our health care system in general
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I pay $430 a month for health insurance through kaiser. No fertility treatments are covered or offered. My recurrent pregnancy loss was investigate. My copays were $30 each time I saw the doctor
Lauren Alexandra Rubal
San Diego

The consultations and limited diagnostic tests can be very informative when you are starting out on this journey. Yet, if it is determined that you have multiple fertility issues, it is better to go to a clinic that offers a variety of services, as this clinic [Kaiser - Fontanta] offers very little services.... After the two week wait, when you call to tell them that you are NOT pregnant , they literally say, "Okay, call us with your next period." This response can be very shocking to a person who is devastated that she is not pregnant.
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Even when she diagnoses you with multiple fertility issues, and you present her with the research saying that IUI is a waste of time and money and could cause additional problems like ectopic pregnancy and miscarriages, she will not directly say try other options. She will just say keep trying IUI, when you know, she knows better.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
If you try fertility treatments with her and your gut keeps telling you that you need a second opinion, get a second opinion. Her energy and optimism can make you feel as though anything is possible, even when the facts about your fertility is so blatantly clear that you need more services than she can offer.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
The first few sessions she provides a lot of information and suggestions for your fertility treatment. She talks fast because she is trying to give you alot of information in a short period of time, but initially you do feel like she is treating you like a human being. However, once she creates a treatment plan and you try to ask more detailed questions via email or through her staff, she provides very limited vague responses (sometimes only phrases) and does not directly answer your questions, leaving you even more confused about what next steps to take in your treatment.
Describe the protocols Shirley Fong used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
With the IUI that I did, she prescribed about 50 mg of clomid as she did not want me to produce to many eggs and accidently fertilize too many eggs. She also prescribed a trigger shot that I took one or two days before my insemination. I did not get pregnant. Yet as mentioned before, she was being hopefully and not considering all the fertility issues I was presenting with.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
After the two week wait, when you call to tell them that you are NOT pregnant , they literally say, "Okay, call us with your next period." This response can be very shocking to a person who is devastated that she is not pregnant. After paying hundreds of dollars to try to get pregnant with this department, all they can say is "call back with your next period." The doctor does not schedule an appointment to reassess your treatment plan and determine if it needs to be changed. You are just told to do the whole process again (if you choose) when your next period rolls around.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The consultations and limited diagnostic tests can be very informative when you are starting out on this journey. Yet, if it is determined that you have multiple fertility issues, it is better to go to a clinic that offers a variety of services, as this clinic offers very little services.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Consultations, HSGs, bloodwork, and the actual insemination procedure all cost close to $2500 for one cycle.
Describe Shirley Fong's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
In this clinic, she does not deal with embryos
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Even when you directly told them that you were concerned about your multiple fertility issues, the doctor continued to encourage their service, even when you needed more advanced services.
Shirley Fong
Fontana

I did three IUIs with 5 days of clomid [with Dr. Jabara]. I got 2-3 eggs each cycle. The last IUI I did a combo of menopur and clomid. Still only got 2 eggs. Chemical pregnancy on 2nd IUI and negative all others...I did feel like I was not educated along the way...I wish he had given us resources to learn more about IVF due to my age...I also wish he had reevaluated me after three IUIs rather than wasting time, money, and emotions on a fourth IUI. Now, I am almost 41 and just starting IVF. Overall, I think he is a good doctor but if you are looking for bedside manner, he may not be for you.
I felt like Dr. Jabara and his staff [at Kaiser Permanente] treated me very well. I did feel like I was not educated along the way about certain things like side effects of medications and what to look for when I got the pregnancy test results...Aura [nurse] was amazing and compassionate. She did three of my IUIs.I had a bad experience at my last IUI. Aura had a hard time getting through my cervix. Which was of no fault of hers.
How was your experience with Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Overall, my experience was not bad but there are things I think could have been better. During the consultation, Dr. Jabara was honest and positive and I was optimistic. He respected that we couldn't afford IVF and worked with us as much as possible to keep the costs down. I really appreciated this. After this, I only saw Dr. Jabara one or two more times. He had to do one of my IUIs as there were issues getting through my cervix. In hindsight, I wish he had given us resources to learn more about IVF due to my age so we could have made a more educated decision. I also wish he had reevaluated me after three IUIs rather than wasting time, money, and emotions on a fourth IUI. Now, I am almost 41 and just starting IVF. Overall, I think he is a good doctor but if you are looking for bedside manner, he may not be for you.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Educate yourself about the process, the medications, etc... Advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I felt like Dr. Jabara and his staff treated me very well. I did feel like I was not educated along the way about certain things like side effects of medications and what to look for when I got the pregnancy test results.
Describe the protocols Sami Jabara used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
I did three IUIs with 5 days of clomid. I got 2-3 eggs each cycle. The last IUI I did a combo of menopur and clomid. Still only got 2 eggs. Chemical pregnancy on 2nd IUI and negative all others.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Aura)
The staff was really good. Aura was amazing and compassionate. She did three of my IUIs. Beverly was also amazing educating me about the medications and such. The only negatives were that there were some side effects from medications that I wish they had given me a heads up about so I wasn't googling "Is this normal" in the middle of the night and I had a bad experience at my last IUI. Aura had a hard time getting through my cervix. Which was of no fault of hers. She finally did and they sent me on my way as normal. I went to the pharmacy and started having bad cramping. I went back the the office and told the front staff of the pain. They went back and asked the nurses and they said "tell her that it is normal." I knew it wasn't, I couldn't even stand up. I sat in the waiting room and finally after about 5 minutes when I walked to the bathroom, a nurse saw me and said, "are you ok, you are pale." I said no and they finally helped me. I rested and they gave me orange juice and after about 15 minutes, I felt better. After this, I still had cramping for the next three days. This was the emotional and physical tipping point that pushed me to stop trying and I wasn't able to consider going back again for another year and a half. Despite this incident, for the most part, the nursing staff and everyone in the office are wonderful.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic is really good. Parking is a bit stressful depending on the time of day. Of course, as this is a Kaiser medical center and hospital, it sucks to see all the pregnant ladies walking around. But, overall, they do a good job.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Since we opted for IUIs, our insurance covered 50%. I estimated it to cost us around $1000 per round with all the medications and visits.
Sami Jabara
Los Angeles

[Dr. Snunit Ben-Ozer] herself is ok, however she never seemed to check my file prior to my appointments and was constantly getting my history wrong. My husband and I weren't treated with a customized fertility plan. We got the same cookie cutter steps everyone else gets... When we did our IUI with Dr. Ben-Ozer there was no discussion of a treatment plan and had zero opportunity to speak with her. In fact she wasn't even the person who performed the procedure a Nurse Practioner was, who I had never met.
staff of nurses [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] were incredibly rude and didn't care about the patient. They all had terrible bed side manner. Anytime my husband and I had questions we were answered as if we were bothering them or with the tone of our questions being dumb...I would get labs back and no explanation of the results...The clinics communication with myself and outside facilities was terrible. Wether it be them calling in a new prescription, explaining to me what/why the next procedure was happening, or transferring medical records was a nightmare. The communication was the worst I've ever had to deal with from a doctor's office.
How was your experience with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Don't waste your, time, money, or energy!!!! Do your research first and find another facility!
I had a bubble test done to see if my tubes we're blocked and they were. I was scheduled for a polyp removal in my uterus but did not t end up having the procedure because the medication dissolved it. Then had an IUI (natural cycle) and was unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Sempre)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Strengths: covered by my insurance 50%. Weaknesses: too many to name (see review below). Her staff of nurses were incredibly rude and didn't care about the patient. They all had terrible bed side manner. Anytime my husband and I had questions we were answered as if we were bothering them or with the tone of our questions being dumb. This was particularly an issue with Jennifer Sempre, Dr. Ben-Ozer's head case manager for her office. I would get labs back and no explanation of the results. Dr. Ben-Ozer herself is ok, however she never seemed to check my file prior to my appointments and was constantly getting my history wrong. My husband and I weren't treated with a customized fertility plan. We got the same cookie cutter steps everyone else gets and as we all know no two bodies are the same. Unfortunately if you don't fit the Kaiser mold they throw you to the wayside and don't care. When we did our IUI with Dr. Ben-Ozer there was no discussion of a treatment plan and had zero opportunity to speak with her. In fact she wasn't even the person who performed the procedure a Nurse Practioner was, who I had never met. The overall experience with her office was literally traumatizing. They made a stressful delicate situation even worse. I would never recommend going to Dr. Ben-Ozer or any doctor at Kaiser for infertility.
Since it was a Kaiser facility our insurance planned covered 50% of the treatments.
Snunit Ben-Ozer
Los Angeles
She [Dr. Rubal] was unavailable to answer questions, told me I needed surgery to remove large ovarian cyst and she would find me a well fit surgeon but then left on vacation for 2 weeks without telling me. Never followed up regarding my surgery for cyst removal. Through the 10 plus appointments, she always seemed to be pushing me out the door, rather than truly explaining my case and options to me.
The communication between the Doctors and staff is not the greatest, thus leaving the patient to have to advocate and explain personal situation frequently. On some day's this left me feeling like a number rather than a human. In Kaiser, you have to deal with each department separately, and they do not all communicate together which makes it very difficult to navigate...they would neglect to follow up regarding HSG tests or scheduled appointments.
How was your experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Rubal is very caring and empathetic to the difficulties of infertility treatments. She is candid about the risks and potential negatives of each course of treatment. On the weaknesses, Dr Rubal threw climid at me even though she explained there was less than 5% chance it would work. Dr Rubal informed me that I needed to get another cyst removed before moving forward, but did not discuss what would come next after my cyst removal. Dr Rubal also neglected to follow up and be along with the symptoms I was experiencing due to a 7 inch cyst. I inquired about freezing eggs due to risk of losing my one and only ovary left prior to my surgery. Dr Rubal informed me there "was no way" which was very unsettling without fully understanding why there was "no way" to freeze eggs.
Advocate for yourself, tell her how you are feeling and what you need.
She was unavailable to answer questions, told me I needed surgery to remove large ovarian cyst and she would find me a well fit surgeon but then left on vacation for 2 weeks without telling me. Never followed up regarding my surgery for cyst removal. Through the 10 plus appointments, she always seemed to be pushing me out the door, rather than truly explaining my case and options to me.
HSG test (3 times) too see if tube is blocked 2 ovarian cyst removal surgeries 2 rounds of clomid - 1 at 50 mg -1 at 100 mg both she only followed up via email and I never stepped foot into her office during the rounds of clomid
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
There are very few options through Kaiser's Reproductive Endocrine department. I believe there are only 2 doctors to choose from and the department is severely impacted. The communication between the Doctors and staff is not the greatest, thus leaving the patient to have to advocate and explain personal situation frequently. On some day's this left me feeling like a number rather than a human. In Kaiser, you have to deal with each department separately, and they do not all communicate together which makes it very difficult to navigate.
Most was covered through insurance benefits. We had a 15 dollar co-pay for each visit. My HSG tests had no co-pay, and my surgeries had 15 dollar copay
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Dr Rubal would inform me that her front desk/nurses would follow up with me and they would neglect to follow up regarding HSG tests or scheduled appointments.
Lauren Alexandra Rubal
Irvine
Dr. Fong has a very soft bedside manner and seems to care, but at times it is difficult to make sure you see her at all appointments. Dr. Fong is not always available. During one cycle, neither Dr. was available and patients were told to wait until next cycle.... I had an IUI done and it was negative. Next IUI, medication was increased and my cycle had to be cancelled because I had too many follicles that were going to be released. I felt this cycle was poorly monitored
The nursing staff in the front office seem to have some sympathy and seem to care. They do try and return your call or email asap.... at Kaiser, as patients, we do not always get to see our doctors. Sometimes we are seen by another Dr. or RN, this makes me feel a little less important because I feel, I am not getting the care I deserve from one individual and there might be some miscommunication at times when there are a few people involved in my care.
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Please go in with a goal. If they can not do anything for you in the first 3 months please seek other help. I feel as if I lost time and some money.
Dr. Fong has been a little more proactive than my last doctor, but at Kaiser, as patients, we do not always get to see our doctors. Sometimes we are seen by another Dr. or RN, this makes me feel a little less important because I feel, I am not getting the care I deserve from one individual and there might be some miscommunication at times when there are a few people involved in my care.
I am currently still under treatment. I was suggested 3 medicated cycles with injections. First cycle was using Menopur and dosages were increased for almost 12 days. I had an IUI done and it was negative. Next IUI, medication was increased and my cycle had to be cancelled because I had too many follicles that were going to be released. I felt this cycle was poorly monitored and there was no communication from my Dr.When I when in for the ultrasound,the RN suggested I cancel and asked why my Dr. did not bring me in earlier, it was a holiday.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Ask Dr. all the questions possible. Make them spend time with you and answer any concerns you may have. Do not let them tell you they do not have room for you when you are making appointments. Make sure nurses go over all medication with you and your partner.
My insurance covers most of my office visits, medications, and procedures.
Shirley Fong
Fontana

Dr. Park is very no-nonsense and to the point. Her treatment, with me anyway, was pretty aggressive which I appreciated. She is not the gentlest with her touch (AKA the wand) but I got used to that....The nursing staff/medical assistants all differed. It completely depended who you ended up with on your visit and it was usually a different person each time. Some were very knowledgeable, compassionate, and explained everything thoroughly. Some, not so much. I would just keep asking questions until I felt like I fully understood what I needed to.
Kaiser Fontana has a lot of negatives. #1 - Parking is HORRIFIC. It would sometimes take me 20-30 minutes to find an open spot. #2 - It's very confusing to find the RE door. There's a random door with a doorbell next to it that you need to ring in order to check in. You cannot check in at the normal, OB check in desk nearby. #3 - The RE shares a waiting room with OB. Be prepared to see LOTS of pregnant women and I even witnessed some finding out they were pregnant. Insensitive placement if you ask me! The strengths are their doctors. I saw 4 different RE docs while there and all of them were top notch.
How was your experience with Alice Park at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alice Park at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Don't be afraid to ask any and all questions and be very up front with her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alice Park at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
For the most part, treated like a human. She can be blunt and to the point which some may not like, however, I appreciated it.
Describe the protocols Alice Park used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
IUI #1 - 50 mg of Clomid, resulted in 2 good follicles, IUI resulting in negative pregnancy test. IUI #2 - 100 mg of Clomid, resulted in 3 good follicles, IUI resulting in negative pregnancy test. IUI #3 - She gave me the choice of doing Clomid + Injectables or Injectables only and explained the pros/cons. I went with injectables only (Menopur), can't remember exact dosage but it was all based on multiple blood tests & lots of ultrasounds. Only 1 good follicle resulting in negative pregnancy test. Prior to IUI #4 - Found multiple cysts on my ovaries from the prior cycle. Put me on birth control for 21 days. I was very discouraged and ready to give up at this point! IUI #4 - Injectables, 4 good follicles resulting in a positive pregnancy test! Currently 10 weeks pregnant with twins
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alice Park at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Fortunately, my insurance covered the cost of 6 IUI's. I just had to cover our co-payments.
Alice Park
San Diego
Dr Baker reviewed my many years of medical records, she adjusted my course of treatment each cycle and she did a saline ultrasound after my miscarriage which led to a procedure to remove something she found that I think helped me avoid another miscarriage.... 1. Clomid and a trigger shot (ovidrel). First cycle and I had Pcos and my husband tested mostly in the normal range - so the focus was on developing fully grown eggs and releasing them. Pregnancy then miscarriage at 6 weeks. 2. Clomid and no response and holidays prevented shots. No trigger because I didn't respond to the clomid. 3. Letrozole + menopur shots + ovidrel trigger. Because I didn't respond to clomid. Negative pregnancy test. 4. Letrozole + shots + trigger + IUI because timed intercourse was not successful. Negative pregnancy test. 5 and 6. Same as 4 but with adjustment to the shots 7. Similar protocol to 4 but adjusted shots and amounts. Live birth - single
It [USC] was very busy and almost always full. Especially on days for IUI. The waits could run very long and once my pregnancy blood test was not called in stat. ... They were very nice and Dr Baker's primary nurse remembered me and how we were doing. They were all so happy when we graduated. The nurse that called with certain test results once told me to increase my medication which was not what Dr Baker had said so I pushed back and the nurse went back to Dr Baker and then called me back to confirm the orignal plan.
How was your experience with Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Take notes and be sure to be clear about your course of treatment so you can follow and ask all your questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
They knew who I was and remembered me.
Describe the protocols Marsha Baker used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
It was very busy and almost always full. Especially on days for IUI. The waits could run very long and once my pregnancy blood test was not called in stat. I have nothing more to add but this requires 200 characters.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The costs were covered by insurance except for a $10 co-pay each visit
Marsha Baker
2015, Unknown Success
Her [Dr. Park] weakness is she is not approachable as a infertility doctor should be. ... She was very knowledgeable on the process of what to expect. There were times I felt she was not so approachable when I wanted her to explain things a little more in detail. ... She could not explain why I was not getting pregnant after mutiple ultrasounds, and other test pertaining to my fertility. ... I was prescribed a higher dose of clomid for another cycle.
The clinic is busy so schedule appointments in advance. Some doctors are friendly then others but do not hesitate to ask questions. Many medications and treatment options become costly fast, especially when insurance does not cover it. ... The nursing staff was always welcoming. They had all my paperwork, labs and medicine ready to go. I enjoyed that the office was always clean and organized.
How was your experience with Alice Park at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
She was very knowledgeable on the process of what to expect. There were times I felt she was not so approachable when I wanted her to explain things a little more in detail. Of course she knows all the terminology to infertility. I do.not, it made me hestiant to communicate how I really felt at times. Her weakness is she is not approachable as a infertility doctor should be. She could not explain why I was not getting pregnant after mutiple ultrasounds, and other test pertaining to my fertility.
Do not be afraid to ask questions, this is your body and your future baby. Express to the doctor how you feel every step of the way. If you do not fully understand something ask Alice Park to explain it again.
She made me feel timid to ask questions. As if she answered it mutiple times a day, but, for me it was all new. I was very nervous to do testing & she did not make it so easy.
I used clomid 50mg dose for 3 cycles with Dr.Park. I had a test done in my fallopain tubes where dye spilled out each end. The tubes were not blocked. I had mutiple ultrasounds to check for cyst or blockage. These test cams back normal. I was prescribed a higher dose of clomid for another cycle. But I have had two miscarriages since.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Rochelle sims )
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic is busy so schedule appointments in advance. Some doctors are friendly then others but do not hesitate to ask questions. Many medications and treatment options become costly fast, especially when insurance does not cover it. Ask the clinic if the know of organizations that give discount on medication.
Under my insurance at the time it was free.
Describe Alice Park's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
They recommended I have 2 embryos transfers.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I needed paperwork to be filled to enter a fertility contest and they did not give me all the information I felt I needed.
Alice Park
San Diego

I met dr Wong one time , and during that time he was very knowledgeable and let us know our chances of becoming pregnant once he diagnosed us with unexplained infertility . He right away wanted to take action and tell us what he recommended and that was an iui. ... We completed to iui treatments with dr Wong , you had to come in on day 3 of your period get scanned to make sure everything is a go , then prescribed Clomid 50 mg to take day3- day 7 then on day 8 take a shot of 1ml fermera sub q . On day 10 go in again for another ultrasound scan and the NP would then tell you when to administer your HCG trigger shot and the date to come in for insemination
The clinic [Kaiser Permanente] is very busy just stay up to date with your appts and be your own patient advocate , don’t be scared to ask any questions and if something should be done differently . All of the staff was very friendly and took there time with answering all your questions ... I would say the only reason I felt like a number was due to the scheduling system you had to call everyday that you were on your cycle to find an available appointment time , and this was difficult for me since I was driving an hour there and back.
How was your experience with Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
That you might only get to see him one time , unless you change your course of action.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the protocols Kenneth Wong used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
She had wonderful bedside manner and very detailed with explanations and procedures
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic is very busy just stay up to date with your appts and be your own patient advocate , don’t be scared to ask any questions and if something should be done differently . All of the staff was very friendly and took there time with answering all your questions
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
About 700 dollars per iui
Kenneth Wong
Fontana

I felt like a human because she [Dr. Ghahremani] was very sensitive to this difficult time in our lives....Dr. G was kind and sensitive to my needs. She was available for communication whenever possible. She answered all my questions when I had them. My experience with her was overall positive. She was always booked.... She was optimistic with the Clomid, but also kept it real when she thought the doses were going to be too much for my body.
Everyone [Kaiser Permanente] was so nice. I developed a great relationship with some of the nurses. They were so sweet. After so many appointments, you get to know them. Con, nurses would get backed up. Waiting time was some 44 minutes after appointment time.... Nurse Vargas was very optimistic every time I saw her, made recommendations every time for sexual intercourse for best outcomes.
How was your experience with Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Feel free to ask as many questions as needed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I felt like a human because she was very sensitive to this difficult time in our lives.
Describe the protocols Mandana Ghahremani used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Liz Vargas)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Everyone was so nice. I developed a great relationship with some of the nurses. They were so sweet. After so many appointments, you get to know them. Con, nurses would get backed up. Waiting time was some 44 minutes after appointment time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser , I was double covered through my insurance and my husbands insurance.
Describe Mandana Ghahremani's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
None
Mandana Ghahremani
Downey

2017, Consult
Was not seen due to Doc [Dr. Lin] MIA never she never called or canceled appointment she just simply did not show up. Never rescheduled appointment felt discouraged . Will make an Appointment for 2019. To go over basic testing and discuss treatment options and lab results. As well as talking to my Primary Doctor for more incite. ... She [nurse] had me wait to see if the doctor would ever show up and checked on me off and on for over an hour.
Just Missed Appointment that is all. ... Nurse was caring and sorry. Made me as comfortable as possible. She had me wait to see if the doctor would ever show up and checked on me off and on for over an hour. Talked and gave me needed vaccines. Tried to schedule me another appointment [at Kaiser Permanente] but at the time i was upset and not willing. ... Never rescheduled appointment felt discouraged .
How was your experience with Li-Shei Lin at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Was not seen due to Doc MIA never she never called or canceled appointment she just simply did not show up. Never rescheduled appointment felt discouraged . Will make an Appointment for 2019. To go over basic testing and discuss treatment options and lab results. As well as talking to my Primary Doctor for more incite.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Li-Shei Lin at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Confirm Appointment
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Nurse was caring and sorry. Made me as comfortable as possible. She had me wait to see if the doctor would ever show up and checked on me off and on for over an hour. Talked and gave me needed vaccines. Tried to schedule me another appointment but at the time i was upset and not willing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Li-Shei Lin at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
40% covered by insurance
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Just Missed Appointment that is all.
Li-Shei Lin
San Diego

Dr. Dhesi treated me for our infertility issues since Jan 2018 - at first, I had a misdiagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve after a blood test showed low AMH levels. This left me absolutely devastated and it took Dr. Dhesi and Kaiser doctors 5 months to realize that my AFC didn't match my AMH, so they re-tested my AMH and it came back normal. ... Dr. Dhesi did say that she would definitely change the medication dosage so that I don't over-respond, however, I am not willing to go through another IUI cycle and we are moving on to IVF.
Kaiser Infertility clinic on Sunset has/had many structural shortcomings and oversights. I was almost unable to be seen for a 2nd IUI because they did not have enough staff to cover the baseline appointments. ... It does feel that you are just one of hundreds of patients, and it seems like this clinic needs way more resources and funding to help expand it and cater to the needs of their (many) patients. ...I loved Dr. Dhesi's staff and the NPs that worked at the clinic - it was obvious that they all cared for their patients and took the time to answer all my questions, my emails, and phone calls. ...
How was your experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Dhesi treated me for our infertility issues since Jan 2018 - at first, I had a misdiagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve after a blood test showed low AMH levels. This left me absolutely devastated and it took Dr. Dhesi and Kaiser doctors 5 months to realize that my AFC didn't match my AMH, so they re-tested my AMH and it came back normal. My diagnosis was switched to unexplained infertility. I think Dr. Dhesi did her best to be attentive and personable with me, and I believe her treatment for the second IUI was the most personable and thorough - she followed through with all our appointments, and she even sent a kind note after the negative pregnancy test after the 2nd IUI didn't work. However, our first and third IUIs with her were a bit cold and distant, which I attribute to her being extremely overworked and overbooked, and she didn't see us for some of our appointments. She also didn't follow through after our 3rd IUI failed, and when she ordered more tests and bloodwork to determine what other issues might be going on (e.g. endometrial biopsy, sonohysterogram) - she wasn't very forthcoming with information - again, likely due to being stretched too thin and having too many patients and commitments. For example, in a follow up appointment after my failed 3rd IUI, Dr. Dhesi noticed that I had an AFC of 30+ follicles, and she was concerned I might have PCOS - she ordered blood tests and never followed up with me to let me know that I did *not* have PCOS after all. I had to ask her to interpret the lab results and what that meant. Again, I do really like Dr. Dhesi as a person and she is a very knowledgeable doctor and when she has the time, does give proper attention, information and answers all my questions. But because of the way Kaiser operates and is structured, close and personal care at their Infertility clinic is just not possible.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I would be ready to see multiple doctors during any treatment cycle if you have Kaiser - Dr. Dhesi herself is a wonderful and caring, competent doctor, however, it is unlikely that you will only be seeing her throughout your IUI cycles. I would prepare yourself for dealing with a very very busy and understaffed clinic, and very little one on one attention.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I believe Dr. Dhesi is a wonderful, attentive and competent doctor, however, the facility of Kaiser isn't conducive for one-on-one patient care. When dealing with infertility, it is hard to deal with a clinic that is overbooked, overwhelmed and understaffed, which is what happened during my care with Kaiser. Dr. Dhesi was as attentive as she could be with me given the circumstances, but in the end, I do not believe I got the best one-on-one care because she was so stretched thin at the Kaiser Sunset clinic and other Kaiser clinics in the city. I felt like a human when Dr. Dhesi saw me, but in general, Kaiser's Infertility clinic operates more like a corporate hospital churning patients in and out of clinics.
Describe the protocols Amy Dhesi used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
I did 3 IUIs with Dr. Dhesi - my case was unique, as I started off with DOR and then ended with many follicles after my 3rd IUI. My first IUI I just did chlomid and insemination, which was terrible on my lining and gave my horrible side effects. I would stay away from chlomid especially if the patient is over 35 years old. The 2nd and 3rd IUIs were injectable medication cycles, and this was much better on my lining, however, I produced too many follicles and they weren't large enough for a successful insemination. For my situation personally, IVF is a better treatment plan than IUI as I tend to over-produce and over-respond to stimulating drugs. Dr. Dhesi did say that she would definitely change the medication dosage so that I don't over-respond, however, I am not willing to go through another IUI cycle and we are moving on to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Rebecca Lopez)
I loved Dr. Dhesi's staff and the NPs that worked at the clinic - it was obvious that they all cared for their patients and took the time to answer all my questions, my emails, and phone calls. Similar to Dr. Dhesi, they were extremely overworked and understaffed so any of their shortcomings were due 100% to Kaiser's unwillingness to provide more staff at their Sunset location.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser Infertility clinic on Sunset has/had many structural shortcomings and oversights. I was almost unable to be seen for a 2nd IUI because they did not have enough staff to cover the baseline appointments. This caused a lot of emotional stress and strain, and I did actually file a grievance with Kaiser - the administration's decision to not provide more funding and hire more staff for the infertility clinic directly affected my ability to receive treatment, along with many other patients. I was eventually able to be seen for my 2nd IUI, but I could see how the infertility department was not given the funds or staffing resources necessary to have it operate at its full potential. The benefit, however, is that I did have all my IUI treatments and medications covered through my Kaiser insurance, which was a huge financial benefit for me and my husband. It does feel that you are just one of hundreds of patients, and it seems like this clinic needs way more resources and funding to help expand it and cater to the needs of their (many) patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
My costs were covered through insurance - the only great thing about Kaiser!
Describe Amy Dhesi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I have addressed these issues in previous questions, but Kaiser Infertility clinic on Sunset has major structural and staffing issues. They are underfunded, understaffed, and this leads to little one-on-one care with patients who are going through very emotionally trying, difficult process of infertility. I was misdiagnosed with DOR and the doctors could never really explain why I had an AMH of .96 and then an AMH of 4. They didn't think to retest me until 5 months later, which led to 5 months of me dealing with emotional drain, depression, etc. The way they handle their pregnancy blood tests is TERRIBLE - they ask you to come in for a beta/blood test 2 weeks after your IUI, but instead of having a nurse call with results, Kaiser sends you an informal, impersonal email letting you know the results of your beta test. This is NOT followed up with a call from your doctor or nurse - I only received one email from Dr. Dhesi after a negative pregnancy test expressing her condolences. I think that system is terrible! I also had a very terrible experience with another doctor there, Dr. Snunit Ben-Ozer who warned me and my husband of the risk of multiples and having to possibly do selective reduction, which my husband and I were fine with. She said that "no, you will not be okay, you will not be okay killing your babies once you see them dancing on the [ultrasound] screen." She was projecting her ethical, moral, cultural beliefs on us in a very inappropriate way. I will be filing a grievance against her treatment. In essence, I had an overall okay experience at Kaiser - my IUIs were covered 100% by insurance which was great, but not very good one-on-one treatment.
Amy Dhesi