7.2

3250 Fordham St
San Diego, CA 92110
1-800-290-5000

Treated 2012 - 2018
Dr Rosencrantz has been my doctor for 5-ish years. We continue to try different methods to talk about what to try next and what the best options are for me. Sometimes he does seem to be a little bit short......He asks personal questions. Things we had discussed in previous visits. Makes sure that I understand what we are doing and that I don’t have questions. He is personable and easy to talk to....
[Kaiser] It is helpful that the medical office is on site of the hospital, as there is lab and pharmacy attached for ease of completing those things. Kaiser makes everything simple and easy to find, with the exception of parking. Depending on the time of your appointment, you’ll be lucky to find a spot near-by...Overall, they [nurses] are nice, helpful and able to answer my questions, but they do seem to be quite busy.
How was your experience with Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Rosencrantz has been my doctor for 5-ish years. We continue to try different methods to talk about what to try next and what the best options are for me. Sometimes he does seem to be a little bit short, but I also enjoy doing research on my own to see what others with similar situations are doing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. He is very knowledgeable and helpful
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the protocols Marcus Rosencrantz used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
The first round of iui we tried clomid and trigger shot and procedure. The second round, we tried clomid. Then after I went in for a checkup, we decided to try menopur and then the trigger shot/procedure. The second one ended as a chemical pregnancy, so hoping this next round will stick.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Overall, they are nice, helpful and able to answer my questions, but they do seem to be quite busy.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
This is not a clinic, he is my normal RE at Kaiser. It is helpful that the medical office is on site of the hospital, as there is lab and pharmacy attached for ease of completing those things. Kaiser makes everything simple and easy to find, with the exception of parking. Depending on the time of your appointment, you’ll be lucky to find a spot near-by
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
My medical insurance covers a good portion of the medical costs.
Marcus Rosencrantz
Treated 2017 - 2018
I was prescribed menopur with a trigger shot for 3 cycles of IUI [with Dr. Rosencrantz] . Did not work. Also removed fibroids prior to 2 IUI...He was down to earth and would explain in detail and made sure you were comfortable with what was being discussed and done...was a great infertility specialist. He treated not on my infertility but removed my fibroids. He was always professional and well mannered doing consultations...Dr. Marcus Rosencrantz in my and my husbands opinion was a great infertility specialist. He treated not on my infertility but removed my fibroids. He was always professional and well mannered doing consultations
My insurance only covered 50% each IUi [at Kaiser Permanente] was about $800 and about 8700-$900 in medication...I was prescribed menopur with a trigger shot for 3 cycles of IUI. Did not work. Also removed fibroids prior to 2 IUI...She [nurse] was the first person to make me feel comfortable and I would look forwArd to seeing her at my appointments...Dr. Marcus Rosencrantz in my and my husbands opinion was a great infertility specialist. He treated not on my infertility but removed my fibroids. He was always professional and well mannered doing consultations
How was your experience with Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
To be open minded. Scary to seen a different or a new specialist for the first time. But Dr. Roscencrantz and his team always present the best attitude and confidence
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Lorena p)
She was the first person to make me feel comfortable and I would look forwArd to seeing her at my appointments
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
That it is within Kaiser and as now a non Kaiser member I am not able to continue with my treatments with the doctors here. I would recommend the infertility department at Kaiser Irvine for anyone with questions about infertility .
My insurance only covered 50% each IUi was about $800 and about 8700-$900 in medication
Describe Marcus Rosencrantz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
this has not been discussed
Marcus Rosencrantz
Irvine
Dr. Dhesi is very thorough and patient. While explaining my first medicated cycle with provera and femara, she explained all of the risks and processes involved. I was scheduled for a 30 minute appointment and she spent over an hour with me. That being said, getting in to see Dr. Dhesi can be difficult. Be sure to call well in advance to set up appointments, and have a game plan going in as far as what you want to cover...
I feel it is just an issue of high patient load and understaffing [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal]...I feel that the staff is just stretched too thin with regard to workload. The scheduling coordinator always seemed rushed and very brief, and the nurses were often juggling multiple patients at once...Fertility billing with Kaiser is a HUGE HEADACHE. It is my #1 complaint with this clinic. With our coverage plan, we are responsible for 50% of cost of services. Sounds easy enough, right? Well, it seems that the fertility/reproductive medicine branch and its separate billing format from the rest of Kaiser is hugely confusing to everyone in billing.
How was your experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Be your own advocate! Dhesi is very thorough and explains treatment very well, but knowing options, treatment routes, and having a list of questions ready will make each appointment so much more productive, which is key when every appointment is quite pricey. Make the most of your time with her!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Amy Dhesi is always very thorough, patient, and while factual never brief. Getting in to see her is rather difficult due to her time being split between Woodland Hills and Kaiser Sunset, but I understand that this is not up to her. Besides scheduling, all of my encounters with Dr. Dhesi have been warm and encouraging. She is very fast to respond to emails as well, and even called me herself while she was off to explain a procedure.
Describe the protocols Amy Dhesi used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
My husband and I unfortunately suffer from dual infertility. He suffered from a varicocele and I have PCOS and do not ovulate on my own. Dr. Dhesi referred us to Dr. Craig Abber (a reproductive urologist) to help address my husband's varicocele, while Dr. Dhesi worked with me on my PCOS and anovulation. My husband had a varicocelectomy via an inguinal approach on June 20, 2019. We had to wait three months to see if this would help (he had an extremely low total motile sperm count (1 million)). Luckily, when we had a semen analysis done in September, his count had improved to 69 million! Yay! I myself worked with Dr. Dhesi during this time to try and regulate my cycle. I took Provera (10mg) 1x daily for 10 days. I did this three consecutive cycles in a row to try and get my cycle regulated, but unfortunately it did not work. This cycle Dr. Dhesi has once again asked that I take 10mg of Provera 1x daily for 10 days and then we hope to follow this with Femara (2.5 mg cycle days 3-7) followed by a trigger shot to force me to ovulate. Dr. Dhesi noted that we can do an IUI if we wish in conjunction with these strategies but is in no way pushing any treatment on us. We chose Femara over Clomid, as Dr. Dhesi noted that this seems to be more successful for patients with PCOS.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The nursing staff at Kaiser Woodland Hills Center for Reproductive Medicine is very helpful and I feel does their best to give each patient a good experience. The nurses were efficient, helpful, and listened to my concerns and questions. With this said, I feel that the staff is just stretched too thin with regard to workload. The scheduling coordinator always seemed rushed and very brief, and the nurses were often juggling multiple patients at once. I don't fault them for this, as I feel it is just an issue of high patient load and understaffing.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
This clinic is very clean, organized, and efficient. The receptionist is always very helpful and respectful of your privacy. The nurses are polite although at times brief, and the doctors seem to do their best to hear your concerns and work with you on the most effective treatment plan for you as an individual. With this said, making an appointment can be difficult, as the doctors split their time between this location and the one on Sunset, making their availability difficult to work around. Appointments can be delayed over a month because of this/the high number of patients seen at this location. You really just have to be proactive and your own advocate to ensure you are getting the treatment you need in the timeline you want.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Fertility billing with Kaiser is a HUGE HEADACHE. It is my #1 complaint with this clinic. With our coverage plan, we are responsible for 50% of cost of services. Sounds easy enough, right? Well, it seems that the fertility/reproductive medicine branch and its separate billing format from the rest of Kaiser is hugely confusing to everyone in billing. Getting a quote for my husband's surgery took HOURS of phone calls and explanations about my coverage to a number of Kaiser representatives and we still did not receive a final quote. Eventually, I decided to just pay for it all out of pocket ($$$$) and hope for a refund after surgery. The entire process was incredibly frustrating and not to mention emotionally and financially stressful! When procedures are done within the clinic, you pay the 50% directly following your appointment at the register, easy! But, if you need something done outside the clinic (still within Kaiser though) it's ridiculously difficult. Be prepared for lots of calls to Kaiser billing and 6 different quotes.
Treated 2018 - 2020
When we (my husband and I) first met her [Dr. Snunit Ben-Ozer], we had hopes because the communication was good. But then, cycle after cycle, I get to see her less and I am handled by either other doctors or just nurses. I keep asking her about meds but then she would always direct me to the nurse for instructions. Not everything is bad about her, she is a kind-hearted woman and tries her best...The treatments that were given to me (pills, injections) were not made FOR ME. It's like a "common way of treatment for all" like all size fits most. I had a mild OHSS for one cycle but I still got the same treatments/pills after that.
The clinic [Kaiser Permanente] is clean and they even have free snacks/tea/coffee at the waiting room. Each room that I got to be in is always clean...There's a little bit of wait time esp when checking in and there are few people in the office...The treatments that were given to me (pills, injections) were not made FOR ME. It's like a "common way of treatment for all" like all size fits most. I had a mild OHSS for one cycle but I still got the same treatments/pills after that.
How was your experience with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
When we (my husband and I) first met her, we had hopes because the communication was good. But then, cycle after cycle, I get to see her less and I am handled by either other doctors or just nurses. I keep asking her about meds but then she would always direct me to the nurse for instructions. Not everything is bad about her, she is a kind-hearted woman and tries her best. However, there was one time when I was double-booked and I waited more than 15 minutes lying on the bed with my legs up on the stirrups and I finally called out the attention of one nurse and I was informed that Dr. Ben-Ozer will be with me soon. So, she came and she just looked so tired and so cranky that she did not smile at all. I was then so devastated because that's when the COVID-19 started so I was debating if I should still continue my treatments or not. I did not get much of an answer. Truth be told, it's still another negative pregnancy test.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Do not be intimidated and ASK QUESTIONS
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the protocols Snunit Ben-Ozer used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
2 CLOMID everyday 2.5 vials of menopur HCG boost everyday Ovidrel on ovulation day IUI Indometrin vaginal suppository until pregnancy test
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
They are nice nurses but one time, they forgot that I was inside the room and no one checked on me and I had to call my husband so he would come inside the hospital and just ask to check on me at the reception. I didn't want to get up as I was already naked from waist down.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic is clean and they even have free snacks/tea/coffee at the waiting room. Each room that I got to be in is always clean. Sometimes you would see nurses chit chatting but I think it is normal as we are all humans. There's a little bit of wait time esp when checking in and there are few people in the office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
My co-pay each doctor's visit is $5 because I work for the same company. Each medication is also $5. But since I go to the doctor almost every other day during my cycle, it adds up and costs a lot.
Describe Snunit Ben-Ozer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I did not do embryo transfer. But on my IUI cyle, I should have no more than 3 mature follicles.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
If I remember it right, twice, they forgot to put in my medication order so I had to wait a little longer in the pharmacy.
Treated 2019 - 2020
Out of all of my procedures, bloodwork, labs, and IUIs, I only saw Dr. Dhesi once...I completed a larger series of bloodwork and labs before starting treatment. Then, I would have a vaginal ultrasound on day 3 of my cycle. I would then start 5mg of Letrozole from days 3-7. I would return for another ultrasound on days 10 & 12. I would trigger on day 12/13 and have my iui 36 hours later...I rarely actually saw Dr.Dhesi
The nurses [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] are friendly and take amazing of you. Other the other hand I rarely actually saw Dr.Dhesi...Be prepare to see a different person Everytime and advocate for what you would like during your treatments...The nursing staff were amazing. They did all of my labs, bloodwork, and 2 iuis...I experience a payment not being put in the system properly. Luckily, I kept my receipt to show that I had already paid for my treatment.
How was your experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Out of all of my procedures, bloodwork, labs, and IUIs, I only saw Dr. Dhesi once. Nevertheless, the nurses at Kaiser were amazing and friendly and I wish I was reviewing them. You never knew which nurse you would get when you arrived but, imI do not fault the staff. This is often the issue with big hospitals. I would now like to move onto IVF and Kaiser does not offer the service. I will now have to do every over with a new clinic.
The nurses are friendly and take amazing of you. Other the other hand I rarely actually saw Dr.Dhesi
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The nursing staff were amazing. They did all of my labs, bloodwork, and 2 iuis.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Since Kaiser is a large hospital you are provided with a one stop shop experience. Once you have conceived it is easy to transfer to the care of other departments. I felt the pricing is affordable when you have at least 50% coverage. A weakness would be having to see a different person for every appointment. The initial consultation was very short. This may not be helpful for someone who hasn’t done much research on their own.
Initial consultation was $200 Each visit and iui was $167. ( approx. 4 visits) Trigger shot $99 each Pregnancy test $20 each Plus the cost of pretreatment labs & bloodwork. Letrozole was $7
Describe Amy Dhesi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Los Angeles
While I’ve only seen Dr. Jabara twice, he has always demonstrated kindness and positivity. It feels like he’s on your side. But he’s also direct and I appreciate that. I get my questions answered and know all of the statistics and risks. I appreciate feeling knowledgeable when I leave every visit...He appreciates when patients are their own advocate and know that they want to partner with him...It’s been explained to us that we have a 2% chance of conceiving naturally each month and a 15% with each IUI cycle. I will complete one more cycle, and then if no success, my husband and I will meet with Dr. Jabara and see what our next step is.
Nurse Aura [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] is wonderful! She’s actually the one who’s treated me for my last two cycles...She answers my questions, has a positive attitude and makes me feel comfortable...$550 per IUI cycle with Clomid and trigger shot...I love how the front desk team always greets you with a smile and positive attitude. They make the payment and account process very easy. They communicate effectively and kindly. I don’t have any constructive criticism for them because they’re the best.
How was your experience with Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Ask all the questions that you have—he’ll answer all of the them. He appreciates when patients are their own advocate and know that they want to partner with him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
From the moment I walked into the Kaiser Fertility Clinic, I am greeted with kindness and positivity. The nurses when taking my vitals are patient. The nurse practitioner who actually has treated me answers all of my questions and explains things very thoroughly.
Describe the protocols Sami Jabara used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
I’m in the middle of my protocol treatment which is three IUI cycles with 100mg of Clomid. I completed two which resulted in negative pregnancy tests. I’ve responded well to the medication—feeling only a bit more irritable and some hot flashes. It’s been explained to us that we have a 2% chance of conceiving naturally each month and a 15% with each IUI cycle. I will complete one more cycle, and then if no success, my husband and I will meet with Dr. Jabara and see what our next step is.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Aura )
Nurse Aura is wonderful! She’s actually the one who’s treated me for my last two cycles. She’s the best. She answers my questions, has a positive attitude and makes me feel comfortable.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
$550 per IUI cycle with Clomid and trigger shot.
Los Angeles
I liked that she [Dr. Ben-Ozer] was honest and kind...After several tests I was diagnosed with "unexplained fertility" and we decided to do IUI. First round was with clomid and second was leterozole since my body didnt react to clomid and clomid thinned my lining. The third IUI was with clomid and menopur along with estrogen pills. The fourth IUI was more aggressive and only used menopur. All times I also used ovidrel to help with ovulation for the planned IUIs
I liked that I could communicate with my doctor [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] easily via email and that all bloodwork and pharmacy pickups were in one spot. The doctors and nursing staff were kind and took the time to explain things to me...My husband isnt a Kaiser member and had to do his sperm analysis at a different facility. After confirming that Kaiser received his documents during my next appt they said they didnt receive them so I had to have his doctor resend again.
How was your experience with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I liked that she was honest and kind. We started out with minimal fertility drugs before we got more aggressive and moved onto menopur (which I was also thankful for considering the cost different between clomid and menopur)
Dont be afraid to ask questions even if toy think they're silly
Ben-Ozer remembered me and my previous treatment so I didnt need to repeat myself.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I liked that I could communicate with my doctor easily via email and that all bloodwork and pharmacy pickups were in one spot. The doctors and nursing staff were kind and took the time to explain things to me. This isnt the clinics fault but it was a trek to get to this clinic since it's the only Kaiser infertility clinic in LA.
My insurance covered 50% of my treatment. Ultrasounds were around $160, IUIs were around $250. Also had a Hsg test and saline ultrasound which were each about $200. Clomid and leterozole were cheap (I think about $15 per cycle) and menopur was expensive ($50 per dose). Ovidrel was about $100.
Treated 2016 - 2019
With every cycle and even leading up to the cycles, she [Dr. Dhesi] had a plan and a plan that she explained in depth to us so we knew just what to expect. With every unsuccessful cycle she adjusted the plan to see how we can get better results the next time. Her staff has always been accommodating and kind. ... She was thorough, knowledgeable and kind. We were so nervous and had no clue what to expect but she did her best to keep us at ease
Even though they [Kaiser Permanente SoCal] are busy, they still manage to make you feel like they care and not like a number on their list. Because they are busy, they tend to sometimes be crowded or have a longer wait time, this just means that you have to be a little more flexible, you have to just come when they have an availability (get in where you fit it) rather than them accommodating your schedule.
How was your experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
With every cycle and even leading up to the cycles, she had a plan and a plan that she explained in depth to us so we knew just what to expect. With every unsuccessful cycle she adjusted the plan to see how we can get better results the next time. Her staff has always been accommodating and kind. Kaiser covers 6 IUI's but she does not recommend that we do 6. We have done 3 thus far and will do 1 more soon, hoping it's finally "The One". I am happy to have come across DR. Dhesi, she has helped me understand fertility so well and I am grateful, even if we have not had a successful pregnancy YET, I am still glad. I did get pregnant last year but it was not through IUI or any fertility assistance. It was 1 month after our 3rd IUI but I miscarried at 8 weeks. It's been a rough recovery but we are ready to try again and I hope and pray that my body just recognizes what to do. I am definitely going to do my 4th & final IUI with Dr. Dhesi in the upcoming months.
DON'T wait!! We started seeing Dr. Dhesi for a consultation and testing in late 2015 then prolonged the"getting ready" for IUI (the procedures, medications, additional bloodwork, etc.) because we felt like we had time. We finally did our 1st IUI in Jan 2018 assuming it would just work but it didn't. Time goes by so quickly and you think you have time but you don't. The truth is, this is a hard process, it's an emotional roller coaster and many times you feel alone, broken and hopeless but you are not. Feel your feelings but don;t snooze for too long, like we have. Also, ask as many questions as you want and need to. I would write questions down and save them in my phone so that I could remember to ask the doctor.
From the very first consultation with her I knew she was a great doctor. She was thorough, knowledgeable and kind. We were so nervous and had no clue what to expect but she did her best to keep us at ease.
Cycle 1: Low Clomid dosage, but quickly increased. I produced 1 egg that cycle. Cycle 2: Increased Clomid dosage and added Menopur injections. Also produced 1 egg that cycle. Cycle 3: Only used Menopur injections (no more Clomid) and also started taking progesterone suppositories. It looked like I may have 2-3 eggs but by the end of the cycle only 1 matured.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
This is a busy clinic, they have many patients but they are always kind and as accommodating as possible. They follow up when they say they will.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I live in the Antelope Valley and this is the closest Kaiser Fertility Clinic to me, they are busy, think of all they are covering. Even though they are busy, they still manage to make you feel like they care and not like a number on their list. Because they are busy, they tend to sometimes be crowded or have a longer wait time, this just means that you have to be a little more flexible, you have to just come when they have an availability (get in where you fit it) rather than them accommodating your schedule. It's not that they don't want to, the do accommodate you when possible.
I have been fortunate enough that our Kaiser Plan has covered the costs thus far. If we move on to IVF, we will need to be referred out of Kaiser and cover all the costs out of pocket.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Baker treats me like she cares about my treament and has great bedside manner. My appointments with her never seem rushed... is thorough with my treatment. She reviews my progress and adjusts as needed for the most positive outcome. Dr. Baker makes sure that I understand the process and treatments and answers all questions I may have... My sixth IUI was a postive. Lovenox was prescribed to reduce the risk of a chemical pregnancy this round. After two weeks on Lovenox I had a reaction so I was switched to Progesterone injections.
I would say a positive thing about Kaiser is the use of an EHR (electronic health record) Doctors and nurses are able to be on the same page with regards to a patient's treatment which makes things run smoothly and efficiently...Typically every appointment I see the same nurses for my appointment or in the department. They are all friendly and helpfull. There was one appoinment though that there was a new nurse in the department that I had not seen before. She was mixing up patient names. I understand accidents happen but having a 'Jane the Virgin' situation would not be good for anyone.
How was your experience with Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Baker is thorough with my treatment. She reviews my progress and adjusts as needed for the most positive outcome. Dr. Baker makes sure that I understand the process and treatments and answers all questions I may have.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Be patient with the process. It's not the same for everyone.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the protocols Marsha Baker used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
My first round, I was put on clomid. Negative result. Second round, I was put on Letrozole and then it was changed to Menopur due to my body not reacting to the last two medications. Second IUI was also a negative. Even though the test came out a negative, I had the best reaction to Menopur so I was put on Menopur my third round. I had a checmical pregnancy on my third IUI. Since my third IUI did come out as positve, Dr. Baker continued the Menopur for my fourth round with Novarel added. The end resulted in another chemical pregnancy. Fifth round was with the same meds and results were the same as the fourth round. Based off the results of rounds three, four, and five, Dr. Baker could see there was progress being made, so we tried another round of IUI with the same meds as previously. My sixth IUI was a postive. Lovenox was prescribed to reduce the risk of a chemical pregnancy this round. After two weeks on Lovenox I had a reaction so I was switched to Progesterone injections. In between I had ultrasounds done to check my pregnancy and the baby is growing and making progress, so I was offically discharged from REI at a little over my eight week mark to see a OB-GYN.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I would say a positive thing about Kaiser is the use of an EHR (electronic health record) Doctors and nurses are able to be on the same page with regards to a patient's treatment which makes things run smoothly and efficiently. A weakness would be the location of treament and medications. (This is just my personal experience. It may not be the same for everyone) Because fertility treaments are not offered near me, I have to drive at least an hour depending on traffic to my appointments and they are sometimes back to back or at least a couple of times a week. Also, because treatments are not offered near me, neither are the medications. Sometimes I have to hang around for hours after my appointment waiting for the clinic to consult with my main doctor on my treatment on whether my medications may be changed or not so I can go to the pharmacy for it. There has been times I made it all the way home and had to drive back.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
My care is covered under my insurance except my co-pay.
Treated 2017 - 2018
I did three IUIs with 5 days of clomid [with Dr. Jabara]. I got 2-3 eggs each cycle. The last IUI I did a combo of menopur and clomid. Still only got 2 eggs. Chemical pregnancy on 2nd IUI and negative all others...I did feel like I was not educated along the way...I wish he had given us resources to learn more about IVF due to my age...I also wish he had reevaluated me after three IUIs rather than wasting time, money, and emotions on a fourth IUI. Now, I am almost 41 and just starting IVF. Overall, I think he is a good doctor but if you are looking for bedside manner, he may not be for you.
I felt like Dr. Jabara and his staff [at Kaiser Permanente] treated me very well. I did feel like I was not educated along the way about certain things like side effects of medications and what to look for when I got the pregnancy test results...Aura [nurse] was amazing and compassionate. She did three of my IUIs.I had a bad experience at my last IUI. Aura had a hard time getting through my cervix. Which was of no fault of hers.
How was your experience with Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Overall, my experience was not bad but there are things I think could have been better. During the consultation, Dr. Jabara was honest and positive and I was optimistic. He respected that we couldn't afford IVF and worked with us as much as possible to keep the costs down. I really appreciated this. After this, I only saw Dr. Jabara one or two more times. He had to do one of my IUIs as there were issues getting through my cervix. In hindsight, I wish he had given us resources to learn more about IVF due to my age so we could have made a more educated decision. I also wish he had reevaluated me after three IUIs rather than wasting time, money, and emotions on a fourth IUI. Now, I am almost 41 and just starting IVF. Overall, I think he is a good doctor but if you are looking for bedside manner, he may not be for you.
Educate yourself about the process, the medications, etc... Advocate for yourself.
I felt like Dr. Jabara and his staff treated me very well. I did feel like I was not educated along the way about certain things like side effects of medications and what to look for when I got the pregnancy test results.
I did three IUIs with 5 days of clomid. I got 2-3 eggs each cycle. The last IUI I did a combo of menopur and clomid. Still only got 2 eggs. Chemical pregnancy on 2nd IUI and negative all others.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Aura)
The staff was really good. Aura was amazing and compassionate. She did three of my IUIs. Beverly was also amazing educating me about the medications and such. The only negatives were that there were some side effects from medications that I wish they had given me a heads up about so I wasn't googling "Is this normal" in the middle of the night and I had a bad experience at my last IUI. Aura had a hard time getting through my cervix. Which was of no fault of hers. She finally did and they sent me on my way as normal. I went to the pharmacy and started having bad cramping. I went back the the office and told the front staff of the pain. They went back and asked the nurses and they said "tell her that it is normal." I knew it wasn't, I couldn't even stand up. I sat in the waiting room and finally after about 5 minutes when I walked to the bathroom, a nurse saw me and said, "are you ok, you are pale." I said no and they finally helped me. I rested and they gave me orange juice and after about 15 minutes, I felt better. After this, I still had cramping for the next three days. This was the emotional and physical tipping point that pushed me to stop trying and I wasn't able to consider going back again for another year and a half. Despite this incident, for the most part, the nursing staff and everyone in the office are wonderful.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic is really good. Parking is a bit stressful depending on the time of day. Of course, as this is a Kaiser medical center and hospital, it sucks to see all the pregnant ladies walking around. But, overall, they do a good job.
Since we opted for IUIs, our insurance covered 50%. I estimated it to cost us around $1000 per round with all the medications and visits.
Los Angeles
[Dr. Snunit Ben-Ozer] herself is ok, however she never seemed to check my file prior to my appointments and was constantly getting my history wrong. My husband and I weren't treated with a customized fertility plan. We got the same cookie cutter steps everyone else gets... When we did our IUI with Dr. Ben-Ozer there was no discussion of a treatment plan and had zero opportunity to speak with her. In fact she wasn't even the person who performed the procedure a Nurse Practioner was, who I had never met.
staff of nurses [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] were incredibly rude and didn't care about the patient. They all had terrible bed side manner. Anytime my husband and I had questions we were answered as if we were bothering them or with the tone of our questions being dumb...I would get labs back and no explanation of the results...The clinics communication with myself and outside facilities was terrible. Wether it be them calling in a new prescription, explaining to me what/why the next procedure was happening, or transferring medical records was a nightmare. The communication was the worst I've ever had to deal with from a doctor's office.
How was your experience with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Don't waste your, time, money, or energy!!!! Do your research first and find another facility!
I had a bubble test done to see if my tubes we're blocked and they were. I was scheduled for a polyp removal in my uterus but did not t end up having the procedure because the medication dissolved it. Then had an IUI (natural cycle) and was unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Sempre)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Strengths: covered by my insurance 50%. Weaknesses: too many to name (see review below). Her staff of nurses were incredibly rude and didn't care about the patient. They all had terrible bed side manner. Anytime my husband and I had questions we were answered as if we were bothering them or with the tone of our questions being dumb. This was particularly an issue with Jennifer Sempre, Dr. Ben-Ozer's head case manager for her office. I would get labs back and no explanation of the results. Dr. Ben-Ozer herself is ok, however she never seemed to check my file prior to my appointments and was constantly getting my history wrong. My husband and I weren't treated with a customized fertility plan. We got the same cookie cutter steps everyone else gets and as we all know no two bodies are the same. Unfortunately if you don't fit the Kaiser mold they throw you to the wayside and don't care. When we did our IUI with Dr. Ben-Ozer there was no discussion of a treatment plan and had zero opportunity to speak with her. In fact she wasn't even the person who performed the procedure a Nurse Practioner was, who I had never met. The overall experience with her office was literally traumatizing. They made a stressful delicate situation even worse. I would never recommend going to Dr. Ben-Ozer or any doctor at Kaiser for infertility.
Since it was a Kaiser facility our insurance planned covered 50% of the treatments.
Los Angeles
Dr. Goldstein is an RE that whispers the word “intercourse.” She made me feel like IUI would solve all or problems.... I did three of my six unmedicated, and then heard from Dr. Goldstein that if she had realized it was my third that she would have recommended medication.... She never knew what was happening or who I was when I came in the clinic if I was not assigned to see her that day.... The dosage of clomid did nothing for me but thin my lining.
You are just a number. No one knows or remembers you. They [Kaiser Permanente SoCal] don’t know where you are at in your infertility journey, and they don’t seem to care. They don’t respect your time and even try to cancel appointments day of. You will almost never speak to the same person twice. Every appointment feels like you are starting over and having to explain yourself again and again.... They never passed on any of my concerns to the doctor in charge of my care.
How was your experience with Ellen Goldstein at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Goldstein is an RE that whispers the word “intercourse.” She made me feel like IUI would solve all or problems. But she also didn’t pay attention to where we were at in our allotment of partially covered IUIs. I feel like I wasted time and wasn’t given all the information I needed to make wise decisions. I almost never saw her directly or got to speak with her directly until I refused to speak to anyone but her. She was kind at that point and called me saying she didn’t realize that I felt communication was lacking. And after that cycle failed, I never heard from her again. Despite having one more IUI I could try. I will skip that because I would do anything not to go back. I know she has her own clinic outside of what my insurance covers, but I would never choose her as a physician.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ellen Goldstein at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
First, ask for someone else. Second, if you must see her, make sure she communicates all the details. That she explains medications, side effects, what you can expect. Find out how involved she will be and request that you see her. Be your own advocate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ellen Goldstein at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
The kaiser facility makes every patient just a number. You are constantly being shuffled between doctors and there is almost no communication with the doctor in charge of your care.
Describe the protocols Ellen Goldstein used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
I don’t think there was a strategy. I think I was always an after thought. They allowed me to start off with unmedicated cycles, but didn’t pay attention to how many had been done that way. I did three of my six unmedicated, and then heard from Dr. Goldstein that if she had realized it was my third that she would have recommended medication. So, I feel like that one was a waste. She never knew what was happening or who I was when I came in the clinic if I was not assigned to see her that day. The dosage of clomid did nothing for me but thin my lining. I was then moved to menopur injections which also didn’t seem to have much of an effect. I never knew what was to be expected. How many visits I might have, etc. I truly felt there was no protocol for me specifically.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I never saw the same nurse twice. For the most part they were just neutral. In and out and done. I did have one specific nurse at my very first appointment tell me that I just shouldn’t stress and I would probably get pregnant. This was after handing me a packet that had things you could ask family to do for you which included letting them know that telling you not to stress was not helpful.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
You are just a number. No one knows or remembers you. They don’t know where you are at in your infertility journey, and they don’t seem to care. They don’t respect your time and even try to cancel appointments day of. You will almost never speak to the same person twice. Every appointment feels like you are starting over and having to explain yourself again and again.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ellen Goldstein at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
My insurance covered 50% of my care. Every visit just to the office was about $150. The last IUI with injectables cost about $3,000 all together.
Describe Ellen Goldstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
No IVF with her.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
This clinic is Kaiser at Sunset. They canceled appointments, did not answer phones, did not communicate effectively. They never passed on any of my concerns to the doctor in charge of my care.
Ellen Goldstein
Los Angeles
Dr. Ben Over always came in with a positive outlook. She is kind and reassuring which puts you at ease. You don't feel that she is rushing through your questions to get to the next person.... Dr. Ben Over always came in with a positive outlook. She has candidly said that if a certain medication didn't work there were others to try and we might to increase the dosage on some. Since we are nearing the end of our cycles and still have not gotten pregnant we have to be realistic about the future of our treatment.
The facility is Kaiser and they've been pretty good about me calling in and responding to my questions. I like that you can call the fertility center and speak to the nurses and also email them. Their turnaround for responding is fast.... They have several doctors. At one point, they put me with someone else, and I requested to be put back with my doctor since she knew what was going on. I have gone to other doctors for follicle checks and IUIs and they've all been just as kind.
How was your experience with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Ben Over always came in with a positive outlook. She has candidly said that if a certain medication didn't work there were others to try and we might to increase the dosage on some. Since we are nearing the end of our cycles and still have not gotten pregnant we have to be realistic about the future of our treatment. She is kind and reasurring but I do have to be the one that asks what is next. I don't like to think that I'm being negative but I am more realistic about the situation. We are on our 3rd IUI and she did state that if this one didn't work we need to sit down for a consult and start discussing IVF which she said was "very expensive" which we already know.
Ask questions, do your research! If there is something going on with your body ask what you can do to facilitate the process.
Initially, we started with Clomid to see if that would help us get pregnant, which it didn't. We moved on to Clomid with the trigger shot, but each scan would show only one follicle growing. We decided that on the next cycle we would increase Clomid, do the trigger shot, and start on menopur, with the hope that I would get 2-3 full size follicles. This last IUI I still only had 1 follicle, so we did talk about increasing menopur if this cycle was unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I started my treatment at Kaiser, and most of the staff are friendly and informative. They definitely show compassion during this process. I say most, because I have encountered one who is not as warm as the others. She's not rude but definitely not inviting
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The facility is Kaiser and they've been pretty good about me calling in and responding to my questions. I like that you can call the fertility center and speak to the nurses and also email them. Their turnaround for responding is fast. I haven't been to any other clinic, but here, you see so many women come.in and out. They have several doctors. At one point, they put me with someone else, and I requested to be put back with my doctor since she knew what was going on. I have gone to other doctors for follicle checks and IUIs and they've all been just as kind.
Luckily, my insurance has covered the IUIs. All I have had to pay are my co-pays for the visits and meds
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I was scheduled for a a follicle check and a representative from the hospital called to cancel me since the doctor called out. I told her not to cancel my appointment because I was already there. Once I checked in they said someone else would see me.
Treated 2017 - 2018
He [Dr. Sami Jabara] does give me in depth explanations about my care, and makes me feel a part of it...He's a very busy doctor, he tries to see as many people as he can in one day. It feels like he wants to help as many people as possible. But that means that many times he is in a rush, and that doesn't feel very comforting in such an emotional time. But when he has a moment he is encouraging and positive, but realistic about the goals.
The senior staff [at Kaiser Permanente] was pleasant, knowledgeable and supportive, the newer staff do not know what resources are at their disposal, so are not as effective at problem solving, or solving those problems in a timely fashion. But all are sincere and kind...Need a bigger office, more staff, because Kaiser has a very large population of infertile patients. The nurses are nice, they are compassionate. The main branch of Kaiser's infertility clinic at LAMC has its own social worker to emotionally support the patients and have a really knowledgeable RN case manager to assist with resources and support groups.
How was your experience with Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Strengths- Positive energy, encouraging, very knowledgeable. Weaknesses- Can be a little scatterbrained, spread thin seeing so many patients that it can border on impersonal. Does not make eye contact often.
Try to slow down and make patients feel like you are invested, know their care like the back of your hand.
He's a very busy doctor, he tries to see as many people as he can in one day. It feels like he wants to help as many people as possible. But that means that many times he is in a rush, and that doesn't feel very comforting in such an emotional time. But when he has a moment he is encouraging and positive, but realistic about the goals. He does give me in depth explanations about my care, and makes me feel a part of it.
When I first encountered Dr. Jabara, I had ovarian cysts, I was given estrogen to removed them but then it took me two to three months to ovulate. Then we tried clomid, the doctor said I didn't respond very well to it. Ovidrel and natural attempt. No pregnancy this trial. Next visit I saw the NP, was prescribed double the dose of clomid and started on Menopur 75mg. I came in weekly for estrogen monitoring and ultrasounds.I resulted in one follicle at 12, the other at 18mm. Ovidrel admin. My first IUI followed, negative pregnancy test. The third attempt I received 2 clomids and 150mg Menopur, resulting in two follicles final measurments of 10 and 16mm. Ovidrel administered.Second IUI performed, negative pregnancy test. Had a break one month. Then 2 months with no period, return of menses in December no treatment with return of period due to office policy not to start treament during the holidays. January natural cycle with ovidrel 1 follicle seen at 16mm. Negative pregnancy. Last cycle natural with 2 follicles at 15mm and 18mm. Ovidrel administered. Third IUI performed, chemical pregnancy with serum HCG 4, first ultrasound showed 45mm corpus luteum, and 6 cysts of varying degrees all &gt;20mm. Estrogen initiated on this 10 day long menstruation. No treatment this month, to return in April when next menstruation due. It is Dr.Jabara's thought that I have better responses to natural methods best, he suggested we may try Femara my next cycle. The pressure is on because he will no longer treat me after my 44th birthday.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The senior staff was pleasant, knowledgeable and supportive, the newer staff do not know what resources are at their disposal, so are not as effective at problem solving, or solving those problems in a timely fashion. But all are sincere and kind.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Clomid- $100 Ovidrel- $400 Menopur-$1000 IUI-$500 Blood tests-$300 Ultrasounds- $2000
Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr. Dhesi has been an incredible doctor through this process. I always feel comfortable with her and she explains everything to me and my husband very clearly. She doesn't rush and will discusses pro and cons with each procedure...She laid out all of the options and recommended first steps based on our situation. We were able to follow her recommendation (clomid and IUI) and were pregnant the first cycle. Unfortunately that pregnancy ended in a MMC. Later we got pregnant on our own and were monitored very closely by Dr. Dhesi. I was diagnosed with a SCH and later had another MMC. She doesn't hesitate to check anything that may be a potential contributing factor and I appreciate that. During our last loss, she suggested next steps and I am comfortable following her recommendations.
[Kaiser Permanente is] Very efficient. Most of the time they run on time and are clear with the process of the appointment. I appreciate that I can email to contact the nurse and ask questions. Occasionally, it can be difficult to get through by phone to talk with the appropriate person...Most of the nurses have been awesome. There have been a couple of nurses who were inconsiderate during difficult appointments.
How was your experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Dr. Dhesi has been a great doctor from the beginning. She has answered EVERY question we have and does not rush through our appointments. She has been very clear with our treatment and I definitely feel as though she cares about me as her patient.
I would say Dr. Dhesi has a very proactive strategy. She laid out all of the options and recommended first steps based on our situation. We were able to follow her recommendation (clomid and IUI) and were pregnant the first cycle. Unfortunately that pregnancy ended in a MMC. Later we got pregnant on our own and were monitored very closely by Dr. Dhesi. I was diagnosed with a SCH and later had another MMC. She doesn't hesitate to check anything that may be a potential contributing factor and I appreciate that. During our last loss, she suggested next steps and I am comfortable following her recommendations.
Insurance covers 50% and we pay 50% coinsurance
Los Angeles
EVERY UNSUCCESSFUL IUI SHE [Dr. Ellen Goldstein] WOULD ADD/CHANGE MEDICATION AND TEST STRATEGIES TO HELP GIVE IT THE BEST CHANCE POSSIBLE EACH TIME...I STARTED SEEING HER TO TRY FERTILITY TREATMENTS (IUI) USING CLOMID & INJECTABLES & TRIGGER SHOTS. WE TRIED 5 CYCLES, AND IT WAS UNSUCCESSFUL FOR ME AS WELL. SHE THOUGHT THAT I WOULD BE SUCCESSFUL WITH IVF, BUT THAT IS JUST TOO EXPENSIVE FOR MY WIFE AND I.
THEY [Kaiser Permanente SoCal] WERE ALL GREAT, KIND AND EXPLAIN WHAT WAS HAPPENING...DURING THE LAST CYCLE I DID, NEAR TO THE END OF THE CYCLE. THE LAB GAVE THE WRONG RESULTS FOR AN ESTRADIOL TEST AND THE DOCTORS THOUGHT I OVULATED ON MY OWN SO I HAD TO GO BACK QUICKLY FOR AN IUI, BUT THEY RETESTED AND I DIDN'T OVULATE YET SO THE IUI WAS UNSUCCESSFUL BECAUSE THE TEST RESULTS WERE WRONG.
How was your experience with Ellen Goldstein at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
SHE WAS GREAT BUT HER PATIENT LOAD THAT KAISER PUT ON THE FERTILITY DEPARTMENT PREVENTED HER FROM TAKING EXTRA TIME DURING PROCEDURES OR EXAMS TO SPEND EXTRA TIME WITH HER PATIENTS. SHE TOOK EXTRA TIME TO ANSWER QUESTIONS DURING THE CONSULTATIONS AND TO GO OVER TEST RESULTS.
SHE WILL DO HER BEST TO HELP YOU MEDICALLY TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL PREGNANCY AS WELL AS BEING HONEST WITH YOU WHEN THERE IS NO CHANCE AS WITNESSED WITH MY WIFE'S INFERTILITY.
SHE TOOK THE TIME TO GO OVER THE TEST RESULTS IN DETAIL. SHE WAS VERY THOROUGH AND WAS FRANK ABOUT MY WIFE & I FERTILITY TREATMENTS. FIRST MY AFRICAN AMERICAN WIFE WAS SEEING HER FOUND OUT THAT HER FIBROIDS PREVENTED HER FROM FURTHER TREATMENT. THEN I STARTED SEEING HER TO TRY FERTILITY TREATMENTS (IUI) USING CLOMID & INJECTABLES & TRIGGER SHOTS. WE TRIED 5 CYCLES, AND IT WAS UNSUCCESSFUL FOR ME AS WELL. SHE THOUGHT THAT I WOULD BE SUCCESSFUL WITH IVF, BUT THAT IS JUST TOO EXPENSIVE FOR MY WIFE AND I.
EVERY UNSUCCESSFUL IUI SHE WOULD ADD/CHANGE MEDICATION AND TEST STRATEGIES TO HELP GIVE IT THE BEST CHANCE POSSIBLE EACH TIME. WE WERE USING DONOR SPERM FROM THE CALIFORNIA CRYOBANK, SOMETIMES IT IS MORE SUCCESSFUL WITH IUI'S USING LIVE SPERM.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
THEY WERE ALL GREAT, KIND AND EXPLAIN WHAT WAS HAPPENING.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
TOO MANY PATIENTS, LONG WAIT TIMES. APPOINTMENT TIMES WERE ALMOST ALWAYS NOT OBSERVED. YOU WOULD HAVE AN APPOINTMENT FOR 8AM AND NOT BE TAKEN IN TILL 830 AND NOT SEEN FOR ANOTHER 1/2 HR. ALSO THEY HAD SATURDAY HOURS BUT NOT SUNDAY. SO YOUR CYCLE NEEDED TO BE WORKED AROUND SUNDAY CLOSURE AND AVAIL APPOINTMENT TIMES.
EACH CYCLE ENDED UP BEING ABOUT $1450.00. ~ 5 VISITS $40 COPAY, $250 FOR MEDS & $1000 FOR SPERM. SO FOR 5 CYCLES IT WAS APPROX $7250. NOT COUNTING THE TIME OFF WORK AND THE GAS DRIVING TO THE KAISER FACILITY ON SUNSET FOR EVERY APPOINTMENT.
Ellen Goldstein
Treated 2016 - 2017
Extremely caring and honest. Dr. Baker was and has been very upfront with us about the odds and the risks of what we are trying for. She has been kind and patient with us, especially given our lack of knowledge on the subject of infertility. She has treated us like people and has always taken care to make sure we felt like the most important people on her caseload.... My wife and I felt like she was genuinely pulling for us to get pregnant. She went out of her way to inform us and follow up with us, even after the most "basic" treatment or consultation. We could (and can) tell how genuine a person she is.
Kaiser is thorough, efficient, and flexible in their hours..... Like Dr. Baker, the nursing staff was incredible. I know that places like Kaiser have a bad reputation because of how large they are, but honestly, my wife and I never felt like we were being treated like numbers even by the nursing staff. We always felt cared for and we always felt like we were the most important people in the hospital.
How was your experience with Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Bring questions when you meet with her. She will answer them all, and will do so in a very honest manner.
I honestly don't remember the details. It's a difficult thing for me to have to go through - especially knowing the slim chances of it working - and anticipating the disappointment. I mostly listen and let my wife be the expert.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Can't remember her name, but she was equally caring, understanding, and patient.)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser is thorough, efficient, and flexible in their hours.
At first, before we took on double coverage, we were paying about $145 per visit, and over $800-1000 for medication. Once we added double coverage, our IUI treatments we basically fully covered.
Describe Marsha Baker's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I completely back her approach (multiple). She understands my wife's situation and has recommended we be as aggressive as possible.
Treated 2015 - 2016
Dr Baker reviewed my many years of medical records, she adjusted my course of treatment each cycle and she did a saline ultrasound after my miscarriage which led to a procedure to remove something she found that I think helped me avoid another miscarriage.... 1. Clomid and a trigger shot (ovidrel). First cycle and I had Pcos and my husband tested mostly in the normal range - so the focus was on developing fully grown eggs and releasing them. Pregnancy then miscarriage at 6 weeks. 2. Clomid and no response and holidays prevented shots. No trigger because I didn't respond to the clomid. 3. Letrozole + menopur shots + ovidrel trigger. Because I didn't respond to clomid. Negative pregnancy test. 4. Letrozole + shots + trigger + IUI because timed intercourse was not successful. Negative pregnancy test. 5 and 6. Same as 4 but with adjustment to the shots 7. Similar protocol to 4 but adjusted shots and amounts. Live birth - single
It [USC] was very busy and almost always full. Especially on days for IUI. The waits could run very long and once my pregnancy blood test was not called in stat. ... They were very nice and Dr Baker's primary nurse remembered me and how we were doing. They were all so happy when we graduated. The nurse that called with certain test results once told me to increase my medication which was not what Dr Baker had said so I pushed back and the nurse went back to Dr Baker and then called me back to confirm the orignal plan.
How was your experience with Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Take notes and be sure to be clear about your course of treatment so you can follow and ask all your questions.
They knew who I was and remembered me.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
It was very busy and almost always full. Especially on days for IUI. The waits could run very long and once my pregnancy blood test was not called in stat. I have nothing more to add but this requires 200 characters.
The costs were covered by insurance except for a $10 co-pay each visit
Los Angeles
[Dr. Ben-Ozer] was able to convey her message that time was running out, I'm 41, but was also encouraging and compassionate. She immediately expressed that it was courageous and scary to start this process but she was there to help. She was very kind. Every time I meet with her she gives me a hug. I have complete confidence in her assessments and direction that she would like me to go...I have to have polyps and fibroids removed in two separate procedures. Ben-Ozer has suggested that egg retrieval happen before since I have low ovarian reserve a one level suggests a quick decline of my egg health. She has made clear that egg retrieval is the priority since it may take a while to schedule the procedures.
The nursing staff [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] are always nice and encouraging... is very efficient. Patient's do not spend a lot of time in the waiting room and there is a wall dedicated to encouraging notes to patients. Check in can be somewhat confusing if you use the self check in. It's easier to go to the window to check in because you will get directed to the correct room...I have to have polyps and fibroids removed in two separate procedures. Ben-Ozer has suggested that egg retrieval happen before since I have low ovarian reserve a one level suggests a quick decline of my egg health. She has made clear that egg retrieval is the priority since it may take a while to schedule the procedures.
How was your experience with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Snunit Ben-Ozer was able to convey her message that time was running out, I'm 41, but was also encouraging and compassionate. She immediately expressed that it was courageous and scary to start this process but she was there to help. She was very kind. Every time I meet with her she gives me a hug. I have complete confidence in her assessments and direction that she would like me to go.
Be ready to hear the truth even if it hurts. She is there to help.
She was honest about the health of eggs at my age but was positive about finding out the issues and compassionate. She always gives me a hug when I leave her office.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The nursing staff are always nice and encouraging.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser's Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility Department is very efficient. Patient's do not spend a lot of time in the waiting room and there is a wall dedicated to encouraging notes to patients. Check in can be somewhat confusing if you use the self check in. It's easier to go to the window to check in because you will get directed to the correct room.
Since I was going through my insurance and I had repeated pregnancy loss I only had to pay $90 for a full work up.
Los Angeles

She [Dr. Ghahremani] made it seem that the IUI won’t really help me. She did offer to do a separate consultation with her and discuss the possibility of IVF. When I asked what is it that can be causing failed IUI treatments. She said that it was way too many things that could be causing my unexplained infertility...I didn’t think the treatment was personalized to me. they did standard tests, but maybe if they had a more personalized approach, the treatment could have helped.
Liz [nurse at Kaiser Permanente] is amazing. She always made each procedure feel natural. I always left hopeful...The strength of Kaiser: lots of things can be done in one place (lab, pharmacy, treatment) The weakness: too standardized of an approach and very Very limited flexibility in terms of appointments. I always had to take a lot of time off work. I wish they were open before 8am and closed later than 4pm. Those hours made it very difficult to get to the clinic. Also, they’re not open on Saturdays, which is not good since the woman’s cycle doesn’t abide by days of week. I felt that sometimes it would have been better (my cycle wise) for me to come in on a Saturday.
How was your experience with Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
The doctor is very open and compassionate. However, I left feeling a bit defeated after each visit. She made it seem that the IUI won’t really help me. She did offer to do a separate consultation with her and discuss the possibility of IVF. When I asked what is it that can be causing failed IUI treatments. She said that it was way too many things that could be causing my unexplained infertility. I understand that they can’t say much and maybe it’s the way Kaiser handles things, but even though I felt like I was being treated well, I didn’t think the treatment was personalized to me. they did standard tests, but maybe if they had a more personalized approach, the treatment could have helped.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Keep asking questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
The doctor was very open with me and took the time to discuss things with me.
Describe the protocols Mandana Ghahremani used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
Everything seemed very standard.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Liz Vargas )
Liz is amazing. She always made each procedure feel natural. I always left hopeful.
Mandana Ghahremani
Los Angeles

Dr Ketefian however always seemed to take her time and did not seem rushed. She never looked at the clock and was genuinely interested in answering all my questions.... Her strengths include her ability to answer your questions thoroughly and patience with making sure your questions are answered. A drawback is that she won’t email you directly but answers through her nursing staff.... Come with questions because she will make sure you leave her appointment with a good understanding of your situation.
the clinic’s [Kaiser] strength is their ability to get you an appointment on time so that you don’t miss important cycle days. They respond really quickly with regards to emails. Their weaknesses include getting different providers every time you go in. At times, nurses appear unaware of who is taking which patient.... I wish they can be more personable and remember your name. Every clinic visit resulted in a new nurse assignment.
How was your experience with Aline Ketefian at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Aline Ketefian at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Aline Ketefian at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Doctors took time to answer my questions but other staff seemed cold and not as friendly. Dr Ketefian however always seemed to take her time and did not seem rushed. She never looked at the clock and was genuinely interested in answering all my questions.
Describe the protocols Aline Ketefian used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
I am Not sure of treatment strategies. It seems to be on an individual basis. I nsinly Did IUIs in her clinic which resulted in negative pregnancies. However, an additional follow up consultation was made to restrategize a new treatment plan.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
the clinic’s strength is their ability to get you an appointment on time so that you don’t miss important cycle days. They respond really quickly with regards to emails. Their weaknesses include getting different providers every time you go in. At times, nurses appear unaware of who is taking which patient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Aline Ketefian at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I have Dual coverage so i had A zero copay.
Describe Aline Ketefian's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Aline Ketefian
Treated 2011 - 2017
From day one, he [Dr. Sami Jabara] carefully analyzed our data and gave us options. He educated us, kept us informed, and recommended proper dosage of medications. Most importantly, he listened to us: Our hopes, fear, and apprehension.... Dr Jabara always took the time to talk to me and address me by name. He was warm and encouraging.... He and his wonderful staff at Kaiser Sunset were professionals, knowledgeable and respected our privacy.
The nurses [at Kaiser Sunset] were all very nice and accommodating. They would schedule my ultrasounds early in the morning so that I would not have to miss a lot of work. The department also had procedures done on Saturdays.... He and his wonderful staff at Kaiser Sunset were professionals, knowledgeable and respected our privacy.
How was your experience with Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Jabara has been with us throughout our journey of infertility from start to finish. We started this adventure with him seven years ago. We came to him with a positive attitude, optimism, and hope to one day start our family. From day one, he carefully analyzed our data and gave us options. He educated us, kept us informed, and recommended proper dosage of medications. Most importantly, he listened to us: Our hopes, fear, and apprehension. He and his wonderful staff at Kaiser Sunset were professionals, knowledgeable and respected our privacy. We are highly confident in his level of expertise that we have recommended him to family and friends. In closing, we look forward to adding a photo of our son on his wall of babies.
Be patient and don’t give up. Dr. Jabara will help you add a little bundle of joy to your family.
Menopur, gonal-f, ovidrel
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
They all recognized me and greeted me warmly.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I was treated at Kaiser Sunset. The nurses were all very nice and accommodating. They would schedule my ultrasounds early in the morning so that I would not have to miss a lot of work. The department also had procedures done on Saturdays.
$15 copay for office visits. Medications less than $100 per cycle. $700 donor sperm per cycle.
Treated 2015 - 2017
She [Dr. Amy Dhesi] was very caring and concerned with our situation. I turned 44 during treatment, at which time KP no longer does fertility treatments, and she did everything she could to try to get us to have a successful outcome in the short time we had.... She also recommended several options outside of KP for us to turn to after we were released from her program.... Don't be afraid to ask questions, she's very receptive to answering any concerns you have and open about the process and possible outcomes.
All of the nurses and staff were amazing [at Kaiser Permanente-- Los Angeles]. Very friendly and open and caring.... She was very caring and concerned with our situation. I turned 44 during treatment, at which time KP no longer does fertility treatments, and she did everything she could to try to get us to have a successful outcome in the short time we had....
How was your experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
She tried very hard to help us have a successful outcome, and had we not 'aged out' of Kaiser's program, I have every confidence that we would have succeeded. She also recommended several options outside of KP for us to turn to after we were released from her program.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Salpi)
All of the nurses and staff were amazing. Very friendly and open and caring.
I only had to pay for co-pays for office visits and prescriptions. Both were very reasonable rates.
Los Angeles
Dr. Dhesi treated me for our infertility issues since Jan 2018 - at first, I had a misdiagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve after a blood test showed low AMH levels. This left me absolutely devastated and it took Dr. Dhesi and Kaiser doctors 5 months to realize that my AFC didn't match my AMH, so they re-tested my AMH and it came back normal. ... Dr. Dhesi did say that she would definitely change the medication dosage so that I don't over-respond, however, I am not willing to go through another IUI cycle and we are moving on to IVF.
Kaiser Infertility clinic on Sunset has/had many structural shortcomings and oversights. I was almost unable to be seen for a 2nd IUI because they did not have enough staff to cover the baseline appointments. ... It does feel that you are just one of hundreds of patients, and it seems like this clinic needs way more resources and funding to help expand it and cater to the needs of their (many) patients. ...I loved Dr. Dhesi's staff and the NPs that worked at the clinic - it was obvious that they all cared for their patients and took the time to answer all my questions, my emails, and phone calls. ...
How was your experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Dhesi treated me for our infertility issues since Jan 2018 - at first, I had a misdiagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve after a blood test showed low AMH levels. This left me absolutely devastated and it took Dr. Dhesi and Kaiser doctors 5 months to realize that my AFC didn't match my AMH, so they re-tested my AMH and it came back normal. My diagnosis was switched to unexplained infertility. I think Dr. Dhesi did her best to be attentive and personable with me, and I believe her treatment for the second IUI was the most personable and thorough - she followed through with all our appointments, and she even sent a kind note after the negative pregnancy test after the 2nd IUI didn't work. However, our first and third IUIs with her were a bit cold and distant, which I attribute to her being extremely overworked and overbooked, and she didn't see us for some of our appointments. She also didn't follow through after our 3rd IUI failed, and when she ordered more tests and bloodwork to determine what other issues might be going on (e.g. endometrial biopsy, sonohysterogram) - she wasn't very forthcoming with information - again, likely due to being stretched too thin and having too many patients and commitments. For example, in a follow up appointment after my failed 3rd IUI, Dr. Dhesi noticed that I had an AFC of 30+ follicles, and she was concerned I might have PCOS - she ordered blood tests and never followed up with me to let me know that I did *not* have PCOS after all. I had to ask her to interpret the lab results and what that meant. Again, I do really like Dr. Dhesi as a person and she is a very knowledgeable doctor and when she has the time, does give proper attention, information and answers all my questions. But because of the way Kaiser operates and is structured, close and personal care at their Infertility clinic is just not possible.
I would be ready to see multiple doctors during any treatment cycle if you have Kaiser - Dr. Dhesi herself is a wonderful and caring, competent doctor, however, it is unlikely that you will only be seeing her throughout your IUI cycles. I would prepare yourself for dealing with a very very busy and understaffed clinic, and very little one on one attention.
I believe Dr. Dhesi is a wonderful, attentive and competent doctor, however, the facility of Kaiser isn't conducive for one-on-one patient care. When dealing with infertility, it is hard to deal with a clinic that is overbooked, overwhelmed and understaffed, which is what happened during my care with Kaiser. Dr. Dhesi was as attentive as she could be with me given the circumstances, but in the end, I do not believe I got the best one-on-one care because she was so stretched thin at the Kaiser Sunset clinic and other Kaiser clinics in the city. I felt like a human when Dr. Dhesi saw me, but in general, Kaiser's Infertility clinic operates more like a corporate hospital churning patients in and out of clinics.
I did 3 IUIs with Dr. Dhesi - my case was unique, as I started off with DOR and then ended with many follicles after my 3rd IUI. My first IUI I just did chlomid and insemination, which was terrible on my lining and gave my horrible side effects. I would stay away from chlomid especially if the patient is over 35 years old. The 2nd and 3rd IUIs were injectable medication cycles, and this was much better on my lining, however, I produced too many follicles and they weren't large enough for a successful insemination. For my situation personally, IVF is a better treatment plan than IUI as I tend to over-produce and over-respond to stimulating drugs. Dr. Dhesi did say that she would definitely change the medication dosage so that I don't over-respond, however, I am not willing to go through another IUI cycle and we are moving on to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Rebecca Lopez)
I loved Dr. Dhesi's staff and the NPs that worked at the clinic - it was obvious that they all cared for their patients and took the time to answer all my questions, my emails, and phone calls. Similar to Dr. Dhesi, they were extremely overworked and understaffed so any of their shortcomings were due 100% to Kaiser's unwillingness to provide more staff at their Sunset location.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser Infertility clinic on Sunset has/had many structural shortcomings and oversights. I was almost unable to be seen for a 2nd IUI because they did not have enough staff to cover the baseline appointments. This caused a lot of emotional stress and strain, and I did actually file a grievance with Kaiser - the administration's decision to not provide more funding and hire more staff for the infertility clinic directly affected my ability to receive treatment, along with many other patients. I was eventually able to be seen for my 2nd IUI, but I could see how the infertility department was not given the funds or staffing resources necessary to have it operate at its full potential. The benefit, however, is that I did have all my IUI treatments and medications covered through my Kaiser insurance, which was a huge financial benefit for me and my husband. It does feel that you are just one of hundreds of patients, and it seems like this clinic needs way more resources and funding to help expand it and cater to the needs of their (many) patients.
My costs were covered through insurance - the only great thing about Kaiser!
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I have addressed these issues in previous questions, but Kaiser Infertility clinic on Sunset has major structural and staffing issues. They are underfunded, understaffed, and this leads to little one-on-one care with patients who are going through very emotionally trying, difficult process of infertility. I was misdiagnosed with DOR and the doctors could never really explain why I had an AMH of .96 and then an AMH of 4. They didn't think to retest me until 5 months later, which led to 5 months of me dealing with emotional drain, depression, etc. The way they handle their pregnancy blood tests is TERRIBLE - they ask you to come in for a beta/blood test 2 weeks after your IUI, but instead of having a nurse call with results, Kaiser sends you an informal, impersonal email letting you know the results of your beta test. This is NOT followed up with a call from your doctor or nurse - I only received one email from Dr. Dhesi after a negative pregnancy test expressing her condolences. I think that system is terrible! I also had a very terrible experience with another doctor there, Dr. Snunit Ben-Ozer who warned me and my husband of the risk of multiples and having to possibly do selective reduction, which my husband and I were fine with. She said that "no, you will not be okay, you will not be okay killing your babies once you see them dancing on the [ultrasound] screen." She was projecting her ethical, moral, cultural beliefs on us in a very inappropriate way. I will be filing a grievance against her treatment. In essence, I had an overall okay experience at Kaiser - my IUIs were covered 100% by insurance which was great, but not very good one-on-one treatment.
Treated 2018 - 2019
He [Dr. Richard Yoo] used real life examples to compare diagnoses or treatment plans. I perceive that his weakness is not suggesting additional treatment plans or tests. I let him know my concerns and which tests other women have used to diagnose that, and he would shut it down immediately by saying it is not necessary for me. I feel that I know my body best. He speaks textbook, but it is not all textbook...Be your own ADVOCATE. Do not let Dr. Yoo tell you to do a year of clomid if that is not what you are comfortable with.
Nursing staff [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] was great! They were compassionate, they demonstrated interest in my journey, and they were encouraging throughout...IVF is out of pocket (~$20000)...Strengths: speedy getting me checked in and finding appointments as needed. When I called with a question for the Dr, they passed on the message promptly, and got back to me within an acceptable time limit...4 cycles of IUI and Clomid 50 mg. 1. 1st day of cycle- call to get a preliminary ultrasound. 2. After preliminary ultrasound, take Clomid for 5 days, usually cycle day 3. 3. Come back for mid cycle ultrasound 4. Trigger shot depending on follicule size 5. IUI 6. Progesterone test 1 week after IUI 7. Pregnancy test 2 weeks after IUI He did not want to give me more than 50 mg of Clomid because he stated that Clomid can make the uterine lining thin.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Yoo was great at breaking down the terminology, and answering the questions in simple terms. He used real life examples to compare diagnoses or treatment plans. I perceive that his weakness is not suggesting additional treatment plans or tests. I let him know my concerns and which tests other women have used to diagnose that, and he would shut it down immediately by saying it is not necessary for me. I feel that I know my body best. He speaks textbook, but it is not all textbook.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Appointments felt rushed. When I asked a question, Dr. Yoo explained it or answered it in an annoyed tone. When I suggested a different treatment plan, I felt unheard. It had to be his way or no way.
Describe the protocols Richard Yoo used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Nursing staff was great! They were compassionate, they demonstrated interest in my journey, and they were encouraging throughout.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
With my insurance, all I had to pay was a copayment ranging from $5-$50. IUI and Clomid are covered under my insurance, except IVF which is the next step. IVF is out of pocket (~$20000).
Describe Richard Yoo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Na