7.2

3250 Fordham St
San Diego, CA 92110
1-800-290-5000

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
When we (my husband and I) first met her [Dr. Snunit Ben-Ozer], we had hopes because the communication was good. But then, cycle after cycle, I get to see her less and I am handled by either other doctors or just nurses. I keep asking her about meds but then she would always direct me to the nurse for instructions. Not everything is bad about her, she is a kind-hearted woman and tries her best...The treatments that were given to me (pills, injections) were not made FOR ME. It's like a "common way of treatment for all" like all size fits most. I had a mild OHSS for one cycle but I still got the same treatments/pills after that.
The clinic [Kaiser Permanente] is clean and they even have free snacks/tea/coffee at the waiting room. Each room that I got to be in is always clean...There's a little bit of wait time esp when checking in and there are few people in the office...The treatments that were given to me (pills, injections) were not made FOR ME. It's like a "common way of treatment for all" like all size fits most. I had a mild OHSS for one cycle but I still got the same treatments/pills after that.
How was your experience with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
When we (my husband and I) first met her, we had hopes because the communication was good. But then, cycle after cycle, I get to see her less and I am handled by either other doctors or just nurses. I keep asking her about meds but then she would always direct me to the nurse for instructions. Not everything is bad about her, she is a kind-hearted woman and tries her best. However, there was one time when I was double-booked and I waited more than 15 minutes lying on the bed with my legs up on the stirrups and I finally called out the attention of one nurse and I was informed that Dr. Ben-Ozer will be with me soon. So, she came and she just looked so tired and so cranky that she did not smile at all. I was then so devastated because that's when the COVID-19 started so I was debating if I should still continue my treatments or not. I did not get much of an answer. Truth be told, it's still another negative pregnancy test.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Do not be intimidated and ASK QUESTIONS
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the protocols Snunit Ben-Ozer used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
2 CLOMID everyday 2.5 vials of menopur HCG boost everyday Ovidrel on ovulation day IUI Indometrin vaginal suppository until pregnancy test
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
They are nice nurses but one time, they forgot that I was inside the room and no one checked on me and I had to call my husband so he would come inside the hospital and just ask to check on me at the reception. I didn't want to get up as I was already naked from waist down.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic is clean and they even have free snacks/tea/coffee at the waiting room. Each room that I got to be in is always clean. Sometimes you would see nurses chit chatting but I think it is normal as we are all humans. There's a little bit of wait time esp when checking in and there are few people in the office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
My co-pay each doctor's visit is $5 because I work for the same company. Each medication is also $5. But since I go to the doctor almost every other day during my cycle, it adds up and costs a lot.
Describe Snunit Ben-Ozer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I did not do embryo transfer. But on my IUI cyle, I should have no more than 3 mature follicles.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
If I remember it right, twice, they forgot to put in my medication order so I had to wait a little longer in the pharmacy.
Los Angeles
Out of all of my procedures, bloodwork, labs, and IUIs, I only saw Dr. Dhesi once...I completed a larger series of bloodwork and labs before starting treatment. Then, I would have a vaginal ultrasound on day 3 of my cycle. I would then start 5mg of Letrozole from days 3-7. I would return for another ultrasound on days 10 & 12. I would trigger on day 12/13 and have my iui 36 hours later...I rarely actually saw Dr.Dhesi
The nurses [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] are friendly and take amazing of you. Other the other hand I rarely actually saw Dr.Dhesi...Be prepare to see a different person Everytime and advocate for what you would like during your treatments...The nursing staff were amazing. They did all of my labs, bloodwork, and 2 iuis...I experience a payment not being put in the system properly. Luckily, I kept my receipt to show that I had already paid for my treatment.
How was your experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Out of all of my procedures, bloodwork, labs, and IUIs, I only saw Dr. Dhesi once. Nevertheless, the nurses at Kaiser were amazing and friendly and I wish I was reviewing them. You never knew which nurse you would get when you arrived but, imI do not fault the staff. This is often the issue with big hospitals. I would now like to move onto IVF and Kaiser does not offer the service. I will now have to do every over with a new clinic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
The nurses are friendly and take amazing of you. Other the other hand I rarely actually saw Dr.Dhesi
Describe the protocols Amy Dhesi used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The nursing staff were amazing. They did all of my labs, bloodwork, and 2 iuis.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Since Kaiser is a large hospital you are provided with a one stop shop experience. Once you have conceived it is easy to transfer to the care of other departments. I felt the pricing is affordable when you have at least 50% coverage. A weakness would be having to see a different person for every appointment. The initial consultation was very short. This may not be helpful for someone who hasn’t done much research on their own.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Initial consultation was $200 Each visit and iui was $167. ( approx. 4 visits) Trigger shot $99 each Pregnancy test $20 each Plus the cost of pretreatment labs & bloodwork. Letrozole was $7
Describe Amy Dhesi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Investor
Dr Dhesi was always helpful and took her time in our appointments. I know she had a full day of appointments so I would come to appointments with questions ready. She took her time answering them and was great over email as well....I used an aggressive stimulation protocol with the maximum dosage of Menopur and Gonal F. We tried to use an HCG boost to increase my output, but both cycles yielded the same number of healthy eggs regardless of the HCG boost
I went to HRC Encino and Kaiser sunset for my treatments. HRC Encino was great in terms of scheduling appointments and being in and out quickly. Kaiser was less reliable in terms of timing of appointments. Both were great in their own ways and I recommend both....Kaiser is messaging system was not great, so I utilized her [Dr. Dhesi's] fertility clinic email address to communicate with her more easily while I was doing treatments there. Her nurse was also amazing and very approachable. Both of their approachability and kindness made the process easier for my partner and I.
How was your experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Dhesi was always helpful and took her time in our appointments. I know she had a full day of appointments so I would come to appointments with questions ready. She took her time answering them and was great over email as well. Kaiser is messaging system was not great, so I utilized her fertility clinic email address to communicate with her more easily while I was doing treatments there. Her nurse was also amazing and very approachable. Both of their approachability and kindness made the process easier for my partner and I.
Be open and honest about your goals and fears. And always come to appointments with questions ready.
Dr Dhesi called me when my husband could be present so she could explain procedures/next steps/options with my partner and I at the same time. She was honest and compassionate about our situation.
I used an aggressive stimulation protocol with the maximum dosage of Menopur and Gonal F. We tried to use an HCG boost to increase my output, but both cycles yielded the same number of healthy eggs regardless of the HCG boost.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Angela Ho)
Angela was great and very reliable - exactly what you want from a nurse practitioner.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
My procedure cost for covered by health insurance

2019 - 2020, Consult
When we’ve seen Dr Huang he takes his time with us and makes sure we understand everything before moving on...is very pleasant and informative...doesn’t make you feel rushed. He’s very encouraging and welcomes any questions or concerns. He also makes sure to let his patients know that if we need to reach him to please call or email him directly... made sure order all the necessary testing beforehand to make sure there are no prior issues before we start our process. He gave me different options to choose from but ended up deciding going with the natural cycle with options to go more aggressive with medication and or injections.
The nursing staff [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] is very helpful and kind...sometimes the wait can be a little while. But you are able to leave messages and they will return your call in a timely manner. Sometimes they can be busy with appointments but they do offer to put you down on a cancellation list...When we’ve seen Dr Huang he takes his time with us and makes sure we understand everything before moving on...is very pleasant and informative...doesn’t make you feel rushed. He’s very encouraging and welcomes any questions or concerns. He also makes sure to let his patients know that if we need to reach him to please call or email him directly... made sure order all the necessary testing beforehand to make sure there are no prior issues before we start our process. He gave me different options to choose from but ended up deciding going with
How was your experience with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Ivan Huang is very pleasant and informative. He takes his time and doesn’t make you feel rushed. He’s very encouraging and welcomes any questions or concerns. He also makes sure to let his patients know that if we need to reach him to please call or email him directly.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
To make sure and ask any questions. He is there to help and doesn’t mind getting asked.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ivan Huang at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the protocols Ivan Huang used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
Dr Huang made sure order all the necessary testing beforehand to make sure there are no prior issues before we start our process. He gave me different options to choose from but ended up deciding going with the natural cycle with options to go more aggressive with medication and or injections.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The nursing staff is very helpful and kind.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Since this is a Kaiser Location sometimes the wait can be a little while. But you are able to leave messages and they will return your call in a timely manner. Sometimes they can be busy with appointments but they do offer to put you down on a cancellation list.
Ivan Huang
Fontana

Dr. Dhesi is very thorough and patient. While explaining my first medicated cycle with provera and femara, she explained all of the risks and processes involved. I was scheduled for a 30 minute appointment and she spent over an hour with me. That being said, getting in to see Dr. Dhesi can be difficult. Be sure to call well in advance to set up appointments, and have a game plan going in as far as what you want to cover...
I feel it is just an issue of high patient load and understaffing [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal]...I feel that the staff is just stretched too thin with regard to workload. The scheduling coordinator always seemed rushed and very brief, and the nurses were often juggling multiple patients at once...Fertility billing with Kaiser is a HUGE HEADACHE. It is my #1 complaint with this clinic. With our coverage plan, we are responsible for 50% of cost of services. Sounds easy enough, right? Well, it seems that the fertility/reproductive medicine branch and its separate billing format from the rest of Kaiser is hugely confusing to everyone in billing.
How was your experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Be your own advocate! Dhesi is very thorough and explains treatment very well, but knowing options, treatment routes, and having a list of questions ready will make each appointment so much more productive, which is key when every appointment is quite pricey. Make the most of your time with her!
Dr. Amy Dhesi is always very thorough, patient, and while factual never brief. Getting in to see her is rather difficult due to her time being split between Woodland Hills and Kaiser Sunset, but I understand that this is not up to her. Besides scheduling, all of my encounters with Dr. Dhesi have been warm and encouraging. She is very fast to respond to emails as well, and even called me herself while she was off to explain a procedure.
My husband and I unfortunately suffer from dual infertility. He suffered from a varicocele and I have PCOS and do not ovulate on my own. Dr. Dhesi referred us to Dr. Craig Abber (a reproductive urologist) to help address my husband's varicocele, while Dr. Dhesi worked with me on my PCOS and anovulation. My husband had a varicocelectomy via an inguinal approach on June 20, 2019. We had to wait three months to see if this would help (he had an extremely low total motile sperm count (1 million)). Luckily, when we had a semen analysis done in September, his count had improved to 69 million! Yay! I myself worked with Dr. Dhesi during this time to try and regulate my cycle. I took Provera (10mg) 1x daily for 10 days. I did this three consecutive cycles in a row to try and get my cycle regulated, but unfortunately it did not work. This cycle Dr. Dhesi has once again asked that I take 10mg of Provera 1x daily for 10 days and then we hope to follow this with Femara (2.5 mg cycle days 3-7) followed by a trigger shot to force me to ovulate. Dr. Dhesi noted that we can do an IUI if we wish in conjunction with these strategies but is in no way pushing any treatment on us. We chose Femara over Clomid, as Dr. Dhesi noted that this seems to be more successful for patients with PCOS.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The nursing staff at Kaiser Woodland Hills Center for Reproductive Medicine is very helpful and I feel does their best to give each patient a good experience. The nurses were efficient, helpful, and listened to my concerns and questions. With this said, I feel that the staff is just stretched too thin with regard to workload. The scheduling coordinator always seemed rushed and very brief, and the nurses were often juggling multiple patients at once. I don't fault them for this, as I feel it is just an issue of high patient load and understaffing.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
This clinic is very clean, organized, and efficient. The receptionist is always very helpful and respectful of your privacy. The nurses are polite although at times brief, and the doctors seem to do their best to hear your concerns and work with you on the most effective treatment plan for you as an individual. With this said, making an appointment can be difficult, as the doctors split their time between this location and the one on Sunset, making their availability difficult to work around. Appointments can be delayed over a month because of this/the high number of patients seen at this location. You really just have to be proactive and your own advocate to ensure you are getting the treatment you need in the timeline you want.
Fertility billing with Kaiser is a HUGE HEADACHE. It is my #1 complaint with this clinic. With our coverage plan, we are responsible for 50% of cost of services. Sounds easy enough, right? Well, it seems that the fertility/reproductive medicine branch and its separate billing format from the rest of Kaiser is hugely confusing to everyone in billing. Getting a quote for my husband's surgery took HOURS of phone calls and explanations about my coverage to a number of Kaiser representatives and we still did not receive a final quote. Eventually, I decided to just pay for it all out of pocket ($$$$) and hope for a refund after surgery. The entire process was incredibly frustrating and not to mention emotionally and financially stressful! When procedures are done within the clinic, you pay the 50% directly following your appointment at the register, easy! But, if you need something done outside the clinic (still within Kaiser though) it's ridiculously difficult. Be prepared for lots of calls to Kaiser billing and 6 different quotes.

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr. Yoo is very to the point, direct, and gives you a lot of information. ... I only wish I had more time with him and didn't see different doctors during ultrasounds or IUI's. ... I have unexplained infertility and am moving on to work with him doing IVF. ... Basically he gives you the info and you decide what you want to do and show up call and do it. You hope it works then call again to meet with him to do another round of IUI or discuss next steps.
Strengths-It's [Kaiser Permanente] easy to get apts (apt center is great), Drs all know what they are doing and are efficient, the pharmacy is right next door and easy to get prescriptions. Billing is always straightforward ... Weaknesses-follow up and communication ... you can feel like just another number and like they are just following protocol. ... The nurse Debby was giving me a measles shot and she was very unprofessional. She handed me the wrong paperwork for me to sign, she did the shot in the hallway while I was standing up, and I was worried she didn't even have the right shot so I asked to check. The same nurse then forgot to fill my prescription we waited for half and hour then the pharmacy informed us the prescription wasn't put in. I had to walk back and forth twice to ask them to fill it.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Yoo is a excellent Dr. and knows how to explain your options clearly. I have unexplained infertility and am moving on to work with him doing IVF. I didn't get to see him much though as he works through Kaiser and you see different Drs depending on who is working that day. If my insurance didn't cover my IUI's I'm not sure if I would've gone through him simply because of the lack of time with him and I didn't receive any follow up phone calls. Basically he gives you the info and you decide what you want to do and show up call and do it. You hope it works then call again to meet with him to do another round of IUI or discuss next steps.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I would just let them know if they want more communication they have to initiate it all and be an advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Yoo is very to the point, direct, and gives you a lot of information. I like they way he explains everything. I only wish I had more time with him and didn't see different doctors during ultrasounds or IUI's.
Describe the protocols Richard Yoo used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
The strategy was to do 3 natural IUI's (because I ovulate on my own). Then we moved on to clomid with the lowest dosage. I didn't respond well to clomid in that it thinned my uterine lining so I took estrogen. Then we did another round of clomid and I took estrogen right away and my lining got thicker that round. After 5 rounds I was physically and emotionally exhausted so I took about 6 months off. Now Dr. Yoo is suggesting I take stims and do a few more IUI's the I'm moving to IVF if that doesn't work. He gives you your options and you decide what you want to do.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
They seem very busy but they are quick depending on who you see. I think Deb retired but she was not very pleasant and was unorganized. Everyone else was good.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Strengths-It's easy to get apts (apt center is great), Drs all know what they are doing and are efficient, the pharmacy is right next door and easy to get prescriptions. Billing is always straightforward and I've never had any issues. Weaknesses-follow up and communication. It is up to you to call after a failed cycle and they you come back and jump right back in (at least that was my experience) you can feel like just another number and like they are just following protocol.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I have insurance through Kaiser so I paid a copay for each visit, each blood test, and receive a discount on meds. Some of the tests were out of pocket but not too bad.
Describe Richard Yoo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
We discussed this and he said he does single embryo transfer.

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Throughout treatment, I had few appointments with Dr. Yoo. In retrospect, this is okay, because I really like the Nurse Practitioner, Dagmar, better....Dr. Yoo probably has a very large caseload, making him less available and much less invested in your particular case. He is blunt and pessimistic. This is what you need to an extent, of course, but he really did little to change protocol or tailor treatment.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Honestly, I think that being the the only Kaiser fertility clinic in San Diego, Dr. Yoo probably has a very large caseload, making him less available and much less invested in your particular case. He is blunt and pessimistic. This is what you need to an extent, of course, but he really did little to change protocol or tailor treatment. He also failed to warn me of a condition with my tubes that could seriously impact my fertility. It wasn't until another doctor reviewed his medical records that I was made aware of the complication. I spent over a year before finding out.
You will have to be your own advocate. Research everything. Ask, sometimes repeatedly, for specifics about your case. If you have DOR, are a "poor responder" to meds, or are older, he is definitely not a good fit. After three failed IUIs, and his failure to alert me to a tubal issue I had, he went straight to telling me I need to give up or go with donor eggs.
Throughout treatment, I had few appointments with Dr. Yoo. In retrospect, this is okay, because I really like the Nurse Practitioner, Dagmar, better. Dr. Yoo did not seem invested in my case and he did not spend much quality time looking into things or discussing with us our case. He typically spoke just in general terms.
The first two IUIs were with Clomid, lower doses that were slightly increased. For the third IUI, I was switched to Menopur, again low dose, to finally maxed out. Throughout the treatement I had one Clomid cycle canceled and one Menopur cycle canceled due to poor response. After that, Dr. Yoo told me to quit trying or use donor eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
The person who I enteracted with most was the Nurse Practitioner, Dagmar Platzer. She was incredibly empathetic and has a great bedside manner. She was always very upfront about my prognosis, but also always offered hope and was willing to talk at length about my particular situation.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser first and foremost is a large private insurance company, so expect to be treated like a number. The San Diego clinic is busy and you have to go by their availability, which can sometimes interfere with your cycle. Everyone is friendly, but it takes a long time for some of them to recognize you, even when you are going frequently. Again, I think this is due to the high volume of patients. If you have anything particular about your case, you're going to have to be your own advocate and research on your own quite a bit.
My insurance covered IUI and related medications. I just had small copays. However, IVF is not covered whatsoever.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
In the hysterosalpingogram procedure, they told me one tube was "a bit abnormal" but that it was not blocked, so it was not a concern. Through reading my medical record, they recorded a hydrosalpinx, which even when not causing blockage, it often causes fertility issues. I did not find this out until I switched doctors. My new RE said I need to have that tube fixed and that in the current condition, IUIs were very likely going to fail, so IVF should have been the recommended treatment, after fixing the tube. Kaiser only vaguely mentioned this issue to me, even though they are the ones who diagnosed it. They never discussed the impact on fertility it has or that there was a procedure that could fix it. I wasted a year on trying IUIs that were most likely going to fail without knowing there was much better treatments I could be doing. At my age, losing a year is not something I can afford.

2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Undergoing IUI with male I fertility factor, Dr Yoo was focused mostly on getting the timing right for ovulation. ... He suggested giving IUIs a go, since they were covered by insurance but also advised IVF with ICSI may be required (our next step). ... Dr Yoo is great at coming up with analogies to help you understand treatment. He will personally call with important news, but is slower to respond to email.
Poor communication between clinic [Kaiser Permanente] and pharmacy. Infertility Nurse advised me I likely had kidney stones and NOT a miscarriage, which turned out to be an ectopic pregnancy. Menopur “training” really just a long warning about “what you’re getting yourself in to” and the outrageous complexities of scheduling tests and lab work at multiple locations with inflexible hours. ... The clinic hours and scheduling are horrendous.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Yoo is great at coming up with analogies to help you understand treatment. He will personally call with important news, but is slower to respond to email. He is positive and good natured. He is a little too laid back however and doesn’t always explain the science. He does try to be a good listener, though.
He will answer all your questions, despite the time it takes. So don’t feel pressured to rush through your appointments.
Dr Yoo is friendly and easy to work with. He called me directly with very important news. However his staff is terrible. If asked to rate his staff, I would say they make me very much feel like a number not a human.
Undergoing IUI with male I fertility factor, Dr Yoo was focused mostly on getting the timing right for ovulation. I thankfully responded well to chlomid and never needed my medication adjusted. He suggested giving IUIs a go, since they were covered by insurance but also advised IVF with ICSI may be required (our next step). He also provided care and follow up related to my ectopic pregnancy that resulted from our 4th IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Foust)
Danielle Foust rushed through injectables “training”. She does not exude a kind, patient or compassionate bedside manner. As the advice nurse at the clinic, she reassured me I was not having a miscarriage when in fact I was having an ectopic pregnancy. Worst yet, when I was advised by ER OB to follow up with my RE after diagnosis, she was a direct barrier to me seeing Dr Yoo. She literally wouldn’t allow me to make the appointment. During the most stressful time in my life, she compounded my anxiety and stress.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
No strengths other than Dr Yoo. The clinic hours and scheduling are horrendous. The pharmacy is small, slow and the staff are not kind or patient. Most staff besides Dr Yoo treat you like a number and are not sensitive or compassionate to the needs of a couple undergoing something very hard and stressful. I’m an easy going and patient person, but I have come to wholeheartedly detest this clinic.
We stuck with a clinic we detested because IUIs and chlomid were covered under insurance. So costs were low copays.
He is pro single.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Poor communication between clinic and pharmacy. Infertility Nurse advised me I likely had kidney stones and NOT a miscarriage, which turned out to be an ectopic pregnancy. Menopur “training” really just a long warning about “what you’re getting yourself in to” and the outrageous complexities of scheduling tests and lab work at multiple locations with inflexible hours. C

2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Lin] always answers all of my questions and considers all of my thoughts. She always comes to each appointment picking up where we last left off...I truly feel that she is vested and cares about the outcome of my treatments. When I have questions or want to know her opinion on research that I've done, she is receptive and open to discussing and implementing changes to my protocol. One negative to working with Dr. Lin is that she is almost always running behind. I actually don't mind waiting because I believe this is because she doesn't rush her patients and takes her time with each person. However, if it is critical to you for the doctor to not make you wait, then I would go with a different doctor.
Kaiser works with Reproductive Partners La Jolla, so for any IVF you would be seeing a Kaiser doctor at Reproductive Partners. All IUI and other procedures are done at Kaiser in the Point Loma office. The nurses and doctors at Kaiser are really great and super helpful...For appointments at Kaiser, the nurse is for Dr. Lin is Alba and she is really great. For appointments at Reproductive partners, the nurse for Dr. Lin is Tiffany and she is also really great.
How was your experience with Li-Shei Lin at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Lin is an excellent doctor. I truly feel that she is vested and cares about the outcome of my treatments. When I have questions or want to know her opinion on research that I've done, she is receptive and open to discussing and implementing changes to my protocol. One negative to working with Dr. Lin is that she is almost always running behind. I actually don't mind waiting because I believe this is because she doesn't rush her patients and takes her time with each person. However, if it is critical to you for the doctor to not make you wait, then I would go with a different doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Li-Shei Lin at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Be patient.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Li-Shei Lin at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
She always answers all of my questions and considers all of my thoughts. She always comes to each appointment picking up where we last left off.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Tiffany)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Li-Shei Lin at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Depending on insurance, you pay a co-pay or percentage. My insurance pays 50%. IVF is not covered and is paid for separately to Reproductive Partners.
Describe Li-Shei Lin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Normally Dr. Lin believes in doing eSET. However, because of my age, I believed that day 3 embryos might be a better choice for me, so we froze all day 3 embryos. For FET we transferred two day 3 embryos.
Li-Shei Lin
San Diego

Dr. Baker treats me like she cares about my treament and has great bedside manner. My appointments with her never seem rushed... is thorough with my treatment. She reviews my progress and adjusts as needed for the most positive outcome. Dr. Baker makes sure that I understand the process and treatments and answers all questions I may have... My sixth IUI was a postive. Lovenox was prescribed to reduce the risk of a chemical pregnancy this round. After two weeks on Lovenox I had a reaction so I was switched to Progesterone injections.
I would say a positive thing about Kaiser is the use of an EHR (electronic health record) Doctors and nurses are able to be on the same page with regards to a patient's treatment which makes things run smoothly and efficiently...Typically every appointment I see the same nurses for my appointment or in the department. They are all friendly and helpfull. There was one appoinment though that there was a new nurse in the department that I had not seen before. She was mixing up patient names. I understand accidents happen but having a 'Jane the Virgin' situation would not be good for anyone.
How was your experience with Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Baker is thorough with my treatment. She reviews my progress and adjusts as needed for the most positive outcome. Dr. Baker makes sure that I understand the process and treatments and answers all questions I may have.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Be patient with the process. It's not the same for everyone.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the protocols Marsha Baker used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
My first round, I was put on clomid. Negative result. Second round, I was put on Letrozole and then it was changed to Menopur due to my body not reacting to the last two medications. Second IUI was also a negative. Even though the test came out a negative, I had the best reaction to Menopur so I was put on Menopur my third round. I had a checmical pregnancy on my third IUI. Since my third IUI did come out as positve, Dr. Baker continued the Menopur for my fourth round with Novarel added. The end resulted in another chemical pregnancy. Fifth round was with the same meds and results were the same as the fourth round. Based off the results of rounds three, four, and five, Dr. Baker could see there was progress being made, so we tried another round of IUI with the same meds as previously. My sixth IUI was a postive. Lovenox was prescribed to reduce the risk of a chemical pregnancy this round. After two weeks on Lovenox I had a reaction so I was switched to Progesterone injections. In between I had ultrasounds done to check my pregnancy and the baby is growing and making progress, so I was offically discharged from REI at a little over my eight week mark to see a OB-GYN.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I would say a positive thing about Kaiser is the use of an EHR (electronic health record) Doctors and nurses are able to be on the same page with regards to a patient's treatment which makes things run smoothly and efficiently. A weakness would be the location of treament and medications. (This is just my personal experience. It may not be the same for everyone) Because fertility treaments are not offered near me, I have to drive at least an hour depending on traffic to my appointments and they are sometimes back to back or at least a couple of times a week. Also, because treatments are not offered near me, neither are the medications. Sometimes I have to hang around for hours after my appointment waiting for the clinic to consult with my main doctor on my treatment on whether my medications may be changed or not so I can go to the pharmacy for it. There has been times I made it all the way home and had to drive back.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marsha Baker at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
My care is covered under my insurance except my co-pay.
Marsha Baker
Los Angeles

During appointments he [Dr. Wong] presented information and answered all of our questions. He was reassuring and positive when he could be. At one point when delivering bad news, he was extremely blunt when it would have been nice to receive such bad news with more care and compassion.... I really had to advocate for options when we were initially told IVF was our only option. Because I pressed for other options, we saw improvement in our test results and we now have a ton of options before IVF.
The nursing staff [Kaiser Permanente SoCal] has been the best part of our whole experience. They have both been extremely compassionate, reassuring, and clear on the phone and in person. Both my husband and I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with the nursing staff in this office.... Once you have your initial appointment, much easier to get scheduled. The office staff is quick with calling back, attentive,
How was your experience with Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
He offered us whatever information we requested and was helpful in offering us whatever options were realistically available to us. I found, however, that I really had to advocate for options when we were initially told IVF was our only option. Because I pressed for other options, we saw improvement in our test results and we now have a ton of options before IVF.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Advocate for yourself. Do your own research. Ask for alternatives. Start with small steps. Get the male partner tested first before starting ANY treatments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
During appointments he presented information and answered all of our questions. He was reassuring and positive when he could be. At one point when delivering bad news, he was extremely blunt when it would have been nice to receive such bad news with more care and compassion.
Describe the protocols Kenneth Wong used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
Clomid for 2 cycles, 50 mg for 4 days starting on day 3 of the cycle. Progesterone test on day 19 of the cycle. Used to induce ovulation with PCOS. These 2 cycles were completed prior to husband being tested - once tested, we stopped with Clomid to try vitamins to increase his numbers.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The nursing staff has been the best part of our whole experience. They have both been extremely compassionate, reassuring, and clear on the phone and in person. Both my husband and I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with the nursing staff in this office.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Hard to get an appointment as an initial patient. Little coverage for insurance (as with most places). Once you have your initial appointment, much easier to get scheduled. The office staff is quick with calling back, attentive, and they don't keep you waiting to get tests completed and treatments started.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Clomid for each cycle: $5 Consult meetings: $60-$160 HSG: $600 Male Sperm Analysis: $15
Describe Kenneth Wong's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kenneth Wong

2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
With every cycle and even leading up to the cycles, she [Dr. Dhesi] had a plan and a plan that she explained in depth to us so we knew just what to expect. With every unsuccessful cycle she adjusted the plan to see how we can get better results the next time. Her staff has always been accommodating and kind. ... She was thorough, knowledgeable and kind. We were so nervous and had no clue what to expect but she did her best to keep us at ease
Even though they [Kaiser Permanente SoCal] are busy, they still manage to make you feel like they care and not like a number on their list. Because they are busy, they tend to sometimes be crowded or have a longer wait time, this just means that you have to be a little more flexible, you have to just come when they have an availability (get in where you fit it) rather than them accommodating your schedule.
How was your experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
With every cycle and even leading up to the cycles, she had a plan and a plan that she explained in depth to us so we knew just what to expect. With every unsuccessful cycle she adjusted the plan to see how we can get better results the next time. Her staff has always been accommodating and kind. Kaiser covers 6 IUI's but she does not recommend that we do 6. We have done 3 thus far and will do 1 more soon, hoping it's finally "The One". I am happy to have come across DR. Dhesi, she has helped me understand fertility so well and I am grateful, even if we have not had a successful pregnancy YET, I am still glad. I did get pregnant last year but it was not through IUI or any fertility assistance. It was 1 month after our 3rd IUI but I miscarried at 8 weeks. It's been a rough recovery but we are ready to try again and I hope and pray that my body just recognizes what to do. I am definitely going to do my 4th & final IUI with Dr. Dhesi in the upcoming months.
DON'T wait!! We started seeing Dr. Dhesi for a consultation and testing in late 2015 then prolonged the"getting ready" for IUI (the procedures, medications, additional bloodwork, etc.) because we felt like we had time. We finally did our 1st IUI in Jan 2018 assuming it would just work but it didn't. Time goes by so quickly and you think you have time but you don't. The truth is, this is a hard process, it's an emotional roller coaster and many times you feel alone, broken and hopeless but you are not. Feel your feelings but don;t snooze for too long, like we have. Also, ask as many questions as you want and need to. I would write questions down and save them in my phone so that I could remember to ask the doctor.
From the very first consultation with her I knew she was a great doctor. She was thorough, knowledgeable and kind. We were so nervous and had no clue what to expect but she did her best to keep us at ease.
Cycle 1: Low Clomid dosage, but quickly increased. I produced 1 egg that cycle. Cycle 2: Increased Clomid dosage and added Menopur injections. Also produced 1 egg that cycle. Cycle 3: Only used Menopur injections (no more Clomid) and also started taking progesterone suppositories. It looked like I may have 2-3 eggs but by the end of the cycle only 1 matured.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
This is a busy clinic, they have many patients but they are always kind and as accommodating as possible. They follow up when they say they will.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I live in the Antelope Valley and this is the closest Kaiser Fertility Clinic to me, they are busy, think of all they are covering. Even though they are busy, they still manage to make you feel like they care and not like a number on their list. Because they are busy, they tend to sometimes be crowded or have a longer wait time, this just means that you have to be a little more flexible, you have to just come when they have an availability (get in where you fit it) rather than them accommodating your schedule. It's not that they don't want to, the do accommodate you when possible.
I have been fortunate enough that our Kaiser Plan has covered the costs thus far. If we move on to IVF, we will need to be referred out of Kaiser and cover all the costs out of pocket.
Los Angeles

The world needs more doctors like Dr. Rubal. She knows how to connect with her patients and create a safe feeling environment. She ensures you walk out of the appointment feeling confident and educated. ... Dr. Rubal is such a warm and genuine doctor. She walks in the room and wants to make a connection with her patients while creating the best plan of action. She always asked for our thoughts and feelings throughout the process.
The clinic [Kaiser Permanente SoCal] does an excellent job of getting you scheduled and keeping open various lines of communication. They are quick to call or email back and willing to work with your schedule. You know what your billing is up front and can take care of it right away when leaving. They are also very welcoming and friendly.
How was your experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
The world needs more doctors like Dr. Rubal. She knows how to connect with her patients and create a safe feeling environment. She ensures you walk out of the appointment feeling confident and educated. Infertility can be scary but having her as our doctor made for a positive experience.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Ask questions, she does an excellent jobs ensuring she answers any questions you have and makes herself available through email for any after thoughts or concerns once you have left your appointment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the protocols Lauren Alexandra Rubal used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
She watched my Menopur prescription closely changing the dosages as needed for optimal results leading up to our IUI. She kept a close watch on our follicle count and growth ensuring safety and making changes to the plan as needed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Dr.Rubal’s nursing staff is awesome. They have such positive attitudes and made you feel like they genuinely cared about what you were going through. When good results came in they showed excitement and it really added to our experience.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic does an excellent job of getting you scheduled and keeping open various lines of communication. They are quick to call or email back and willing to work with your schedule. You know what your billing is up front and can take care of it right away when leaving. They are also very welcoming and friendly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Our insurance covered 50% of our office visits and procedures.
Irvine

I liked that she [Dr. Ben-Ozer] was honest and kind...After several tests I was diagnosed with "unexplained fertility" and we decided to do IUI. First round was with clomid and second was leterozole since my body didnt react to clomid and clomid thinned my lining. The third IUI was with clomid and menopur along with estrogen pills. The fourth IUI was more aggressive and only used menopur. All times I also used ovidrel to help with ovulation for the planned IUIs
I liked that I could communicate with my doctor [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] easily via email and that all bloodwork and pharmacy pickups were in one spot. The doctors and nursing staff were kind and took the time to explain things to me...My husband isnt a Kaiser member and had to do his sperm analysis at a different facility. After confirming that Kaiser received his documents during my next appt they said they didnt receive them so I had to have his doctor resend again.
How was your experience with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I liked that she was honest and kind. We started out with minimal fertility drugs before we got more aggressive and moved onto menopur (which I was also thankful for considering the cost different between clomid and menopur)
Dont be afraid to ask questions even if toy think they're silly
Ben-Ozer remembered me and my previous treatment so I didnt need to repeat myself.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I liked that I could communicate with my doctor easily via email and that all bloodwork and pharmacy pickups were in one spot. The doctors and nursing staff were kind and took the time to explain things to me. This isnt the clinics fault but it was a trek to get to this clinic since it's the only Kaiser infertility clinic in LA.
My insurance covered 50% of my treatment. Ultrasounds were around $160, IUIs were around $250. Also had a Hsg test and saline ultrasound which were each about $200. Clomid and leterozole were cheap (I think about $15 per cycle) and menopur was expensive ($50 per dose). Ovidrel was about $100.
Los Angeles

While I’ve only seen Dr. Jabara twice, he has always demonstrated kindness and positivity. It feels like he’s on your side. But he’s also direct and I appreciate that. I get my questions answered and know all of the statistics and risks. I appreciate feeling knowledgeable when I leave every visit...He appreciates when patients are their own advocate and know that they want to partner with him...It’s been explained to us that we have a 2% chance of conceiving naturally each month and a 15% with each IUI cycle. I will complete one more cycle, and then if no success, my husband and I will meet with Dr. Jabara and see what our next step is.
Nurse Aura [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] is wonderful! She’s actually the one who’s treated me for my last two cycles...She answers my questions, has a positive attitude and makes me feel comfortable...$550 per IUI cycle with Clomid and trigger shot...I love how the front desk team always greets you with a smile and positive attitude. They make the payment and account process very easy. They communicate effectively and kindly. I don’t have any constructive criticism for them because they’re the best.
How was your experience with Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Ask all the questions that you have—he’ll answer all of the them. He appreciates when patients are their own advocate and know that they want to partner with him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
From the moment I walked into the Kaiser Fertility Clinic, I am greeted with kindness and positivity. The nurses when taking my vitals are patient. The nurse practitioner who actually has treated me answers all of my questions and explains things very thoroughly.
Describe the protocols Sami Jabara used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
I’m in the middle of my protocol treatment which is three IUI cycles with 100mg of Clomid. I completed two which resulted in negative pregnancy tests. I’ve responded well to the medication—feeling only a bit more irritable and some hot flashes. It’s been explained to us that we have a 2% chance of conceiving naturally each month and a 15% with each IUI cycle. I will complete one more cycle, and then if no success, my husband and I will meet with Dr. Jabara and see what our next step is.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Aura )
Nurse Aura is wonderful! She’s actually the one who’s treated me for my last two cycles. She’s the best. She answers my questions, has a positive attitude and makes me feel comfortable.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sami Jabara at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
$550 per IUI cycle with Clomid and trigger shot.
Sami Jabara
Los Angeles

He [Dr. Richard Yoo] used real life examples to compare diagnoses or treatment plans. I perceive that his weakness is not suggesting additional treatment plans or tests. I let him know my concerns and which tests other women have used to diagnose that, and he would shut it down immediately by saying it is not necessary for me. I feel that I know my body best. He speaks textbook, but it is not all textbook...Be your own ADVOCATE. Do not let Dr. Yoo tell you to do a year of clomid if that is not what you are comfortable with.
Nursing staff [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] was great! They were compassionate, they demonstrated interest in my journey, and they were encouraging throughout...IVF is out of pocket (~$20000)...Strengths: speedy getting me checked in and finding appointments as needed. When I called with a question for the Dr, they passed on the message promptly, and got back to me within an acceptable time limit...4 cycles of IUI and Clomid 50 mg. 1. 1st day of cycle- call to get a preliminary ultrasound. 2. After preliminary ultrasound, take Clomid for 5 days, usually cycle day 3. 3. Come back for mid cycle ultrasound 4. Trigger shot depending on follicule size 5. IUI 6. Progesterone test 1 week after IUI 7. Pregnancy test 2 weeks after IUI He did not want to give me more than 50 mg of Clomid because he stated that Clomid can make the uterine lining thin.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Yoo was great at breaking down the terminology, and answering the questions in simple terms. He used real life examples to compare diagnoses or treatment plans. I perceive that his weakness is not suggesting additional treatment plans or tests. I let him know my concerns and which tests other women have used to diagnose that, and he would shut it down immediately by saying it is not necessary for me. I feel that I know my body best. He speaks textbook, but it is not all textbook.
Appointments felt rushed. When I asked a question, Dr. Yoo explained it or answered it in an annoyed tone. When I suggested a different treatment plan, I felt unheard. It had to be his way or no way.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Nursing staff was great! They were compassionate, they demonstrated interest in my journey, and they were encouraging throughout.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
With my insurance, all I had to pay was a copayment ranging from $5-$50. IUI and Clomid are covered under my insurance, except IVF which is the next step. IVF is out of pocket (~$20000).
Na
San Diego
Dr. Ghahremani is very empathetic. She is always calm and direct. She makes us feel like a family member rather than her patients.... We are very at ease with Dr. G. She has always been so compassionate and I love her calm demeanor. It helps me not to freak out or stress about what we are doing. She’s done my last IUI and I didn’t feel a thing compared to previous ones done by her NP. We trust her and that is why we decided to do our IVF treatment with her, too.
The Kaiser clinic was always clean. Despite being always busy, everyone was friendly and sympathetic. They made it easy for us to go through what we're going through. Hard enough as it is, I'm grateful I don't have to worry about anything because they're all on top of things. The nurses go above and beyond and always a friendly....They were efficient and always on time! They also made sure we were Always comfortable and at ease. During the times I had my IUI my husband would play Friends on his phone to keep me distracted a d the team were all on board.
How was your experience with Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
If you want a doctor who shows compassion and will treat you like family rather than just one of their patients, then go see Dr. G.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the protocols Mandana Ghahremani used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
We have not started IVF. My review is based solely on our other treatments prior to IVF. We were put in clomid treatment, starting with the lowest dose and then increased over the next 3 months. All the 3 cycles partnered were with IUI and resulted in a negative pregnancy. We started with the lowest dose of Clomid on our very first treatment, which didn't make me ovulate so Dr. G increased the next dosage, which resulted to ovulation and primed for IUI. I think increasing the dosage incrementally was a safe thing to do. I was fully on board with her rationale because you wouldn't know how a patient will react to the treatment. We were given a one month break after our last clomid treatment and then started on menopur for the next 3 months. Again with IUI and all resulted in a negative pregnancy. With menopur, I was at risk for ovarian hyperstimulation so I was closely monitored for over a week on my last two cycles. Unfortunately, still not pregnant even though the risk of multiples were explained to us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Liz Vargas)
We loved the nursing team. They were efficient and always on time! They also made sure we were Always comfortable and at ease. During the times I had my IUI my husband would play Friends on his phone to keep me distracted a d the team were all on board.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
We were seen by the Kaiser Infertility Clinic team in their Downey, CA location. Dr. Ghahremani is also affiliated with a private IVF clinic in Beverly Hills. The Kaiser clinic was always clean. Despite being always busy, everyone was friendly and sympathetic. They made it easy for us to go through what we're going through. Hard enough as it is, I'm grateful I don't have to worry about anything because they're all on top of things. The nurses go above and beyond and always a friendly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser insurance covered our treatments there but for IVF we were given a range from 12k to 24k depending on what other services we would need. We will have our initial consult next no the to go over details.
Describe Mandana Ghahremani's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Not applicable.
Mandana Ghahremani
Downey
I appreciate that although she has several patients, that she knows where we've left off, and what our plan is moving forward. I also saw Dr. Rubal at almost every single one of my ultrasounds during my two IUI cycles. There was only one time that I saw a different doctor...I appreciated the way Dr. Rubal explained everything to my husband and I at our initial consultation. From there, each time we met, I always felt like she answered all my questions, and gave me clear plans on where we should go next, without feeling forced that it was our only plan of action. I still felt like it was my decision to make for each part of the process, with a clear and understandable plan and guidance on what we should do.
Although you primarily see the same nurses [at Kaiser Permanente], everyone is so friendly and helpful. Anytime I had a question, I would email through my online portal, and always got a response within 24 hours...I took a break after my second failed IUI, and thankfully so, it was good timing because I was told that they are no longer able to help patients during this time as they are completely overwhelmed with patients. I am currently still waiting for my cycle to begin, but I'm not sure if they are able to take patients (current or new) at this time still. I really hope that I will be able to continue working with Dr. Rubal if we choose to do another IUI.
How was your experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I appreciated the way Dr. Rubal explained everything to my husband and I at our initial consultation. From there, each time we met, I always felt like she answered all my questions, and gave me clear plans on where we should go next, without feeling forced that it was our only plan of action. I still felt like it was my decision to make for each part of the process, with a clear and understandable plan and guidance on what we should do. I liked that I actually saw Dr. Rubal on every single one of my appointments, except one ultrasound. I was told I may see different doctors during my IUI cycles because I was going in for ultrasounds so frequently. During my first IUI procedure, I was really nervous, not really knowing what to expect. Dr. Rubal made it very comfortable, by explaining exactly what she was doing, and walking me through the process. There were no surprises and made the process very comfortable. Dr. Rubal really knows what she's doing, and even though we haven't gotten pregnant yet, I really like working with Dr. Rubal.
Don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any.
I always feel like Dr. Rubal knows exactly who I am, where we are in my plan, and where we are going. I appreciate that although she has several patients, that she knows where we've left off, and what our plan is moving forward. I also saw Dr. Rubal at almost every single one of my ultrasounds during my two IUI cycles. There was only one time that I saw a different doctor, when I was told that I may see different doctors throughout my cycle for my scans.
My case being a bit unique, I appreciated that Dr. Rubal looked into what would be the best protocol for me specifically. Although I am only 30, I never felt like she categorized me as "you're so young, you'll be fine" or anything of that nature. She took me seriously, and allowed me to be my own advocate. With my history of elevated LFTs, we jumped straight to an all injections round for IUI instead of using clomid or letrazole which could have irritated/inflammed my liver further. After months of working on getting my LFTs to stabilize, we used menopur (1-3 vials/night) to get my follicles to mature. Each cycle (we did 2), the plan was "slow & steady". With having PCOS, I have no shortage of follicles, and we wanted to be sure we didn't over stimulate. My first IUI cycle, I had 1 mature follicle before trigger, and the second IUI cycle, I had 2 (almost 3) mature follicles before trigger. Each cycle, I had a hard time thickening my lining, and therefore that could have been a reason for no implantation, but can't be certain. Although I didn't get pregnant from either cycle, I am aware of the percentage of success with IUI and therefore we are contemplating doing another IUI or moving onto IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
All the nurses are wonderful at this facility! Although you primarily see the same nurses, everyone is so friendly and helpful. Anytime I had a question, I would email through my online portal, and always got a response within 24 hours. While Dr. Rubal was out on maternity leave, I was still able to contact the nurses to get in touch with the other doctors who were filling in for her, and I didn't feel like there was a lapse in treatment. Although I didn't seek much treatment during her leave, due to waiting for my cycle to start, anytime I reached out to the nursing staff with questions, I always got a response on what I should do. I especially loved the receptionist, Elizabeth, who was always so friendly and kind, and easy to work with. When you're really nervous, checking into the "INFERTILITY DEPARTMENT" can be a bit overwhelming, and even more nerve wracking. Elizabeth always has a smile on her face, and remembered my name and made me feel welcomed and like a friend.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I started seeking treatment in August of 2018, and each time I had an appointment, I checked in 15 minutes early, and was always seen on time and there was hardly a wait. Through my first IUI cycle, in June 2019-July 2019, the response was still very quick, and wait times were minimal, with my ultrasound appointments only being 5-10 minutes at most. This was helpful, since my ultrasounds were early in the morning, before jetting to work and trying to get to work on time. During my second cycle, patients from another Kaiser facility were sent to the Kaiser Irvine facility while one of the doctors was out of the office, and the office really became crowded and flooded in with patients. The wait times after check-in became longer, and the wait times in the rooms became longer as well. Sometimes, the wait was 45 minutes to an hour before being seen by the doctor. It became more overwhelming when one of the doctors left in August. I took a break after my second failed IUI, and thankfully so, it was good timing because I was told that they are no longer able to help patients during this time as they are completely overwhelmed with patients. I am currently still waiting for my cycle to begin, but I'm not sure if they are able to take patients (current or new) at this time still. I really hope that I will be able to continue working with Dr. Rubal if we choose to do another IUI.
My insurance only covers 50% of infertility (no coverage on IVF), so my copays were about $160 and meds were still very expensive.
Irvine
She [Dr. Lauren Rubal] has been incredible to work with. She's always very thorough and takes the time to answer all my questions. She's very cautious when developing treatment plans and I truly feel like she always has my best interest in mind. Infertility is a long, hard journey but having the right doctor on my side has made it a little easier. She follows new studies and research and always has new insights to offer. I've seen 3 other infertility doctors and she is by far the best which is why i'm willing to travel 1.5 hours to see her. I highly recommend her to anyone struggling with infertility.
The clinic [Kaiser Permanente SoCal] has a great program in place. They are affordable, the facilities are clean and the pharmacy always has the medications I need for my treatment. I also love that they offer Saturday appointments and very early morning appointments so I can go in before work without affecting my schedule too much...The nursing staff is very nice and compassionate. They are quick to return emails and are accommodating when scheduling appointments.
How was your experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
have been treated by Dr. Rubal for about two years. She has been incredible to work with. She's always very thorough and takes the time to answer all my questions. She's very cautious when developing treatment plans and I truly feel like she always has my best interest in mind. Infertility is a long, hard journey but having the right doctor on my side has made it a little easier. She follows new studies and research and always has new insights to offer. I've seen 3 other infertility doctors and she is by far the best which is why i'm willing to travel 1.5 hours to see her. I highly recommend her to anyone struggling with infertility.
Feel free to ask a lot of questions and let her know if you have any concerns so she can address them. She's always very thorough and happy to provide insight.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic has a great program in place. They are affordable, the facilities are clean and the pharmacy always has the medications I need for my treatment. I also love that they offer Saturday appointments and very early morning appointments so I can go in before work without affecting my schedule too much.
2016 - 2019, Successful
When the clinic did IVF, I was quoted $12,000-$18,000. But, Kaiser no longer performs IVF...he only thing I would say was negative was that they recently moved to a new facility which does not have a lab that sends blood to them. When I need blood drawn, I need to go to the Kaiser hospital which is about 20 minutes away...It was originally recommended that we do IVF in order to conceive. However, we could not financially do that at the time. So we decided to complete rounds of IUI since it was covered by insurance. We did 2 rounds, which were unsuccessful. Dr. Rubal was aggressive, but cautious with my medications and timing of the IUI.
How was your experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Rubal is very personable. I always felt comfortable talking to her about personal details. I also felt she really listened and did everything she could to help us conceive. Dr. Rubal took the time to really get to know us and our situation. She shared her knowledge and was always honest with us throughout our treatment path. When we ran into a bump in the road, she would deliver the news gently and then come up with a plan to overcome. She helped us deal at ease through the process, which was comforting with the stress on infertility.
As hard as it can be, don’t stress yourself out. Stress can cause additional problems. Stay positive, enjoy life, and be patient with the process.
Dr. Rubal always gave me information that related specifically to me and my current situation. She was very knowledgeable and always gave me the best option. Dr. Rubal was sympathetic to our struggles and went above and beyond to help us in our fertility journey.
It was originally recommended that we do IVF in order to conceive. However, we could not financially do that at the time. So we decided to complete rounds of IUI since it was covered by insurance. We did 2 rounds, which were unsuccessful. Dr. Rubal was aggressive, but cautious with my medications and timing of the IUI. She walked us through each stage of the process and was always positive with our treatment path. We took a few years off and went back to her this year. She remembered me right away upon coming back and was excited to get us on another IUI cycle right away. This last cycle she went a little more aggressive with the dosage of my infections to get better results, and we did! She recommended I transition to an IVF cycle because I had such a high reaction to the dosage. She then went around calling clinics on. Saturday for me so that I wouldn’t lose the results of my cycle.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser has been great with me. My insurance covers all IUI treatment costs, so that may help with my opinion of them. The only thing I would say was negative was that they recently moved to a new facility which does not have a lab that sends blood to them. When I need blood drawn, I need to go to the Kaiser hospital which is about 20 minutes away.
All IUI cycles were covered by my insurance. When the clinic did IVF, I was quoted $12,000-$18,000. But, Kaiser no longer performs IVF.
2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Rubal recommended that simply try again as the fibroids were large but not in a bad location. I was very stressed out and she talked me thru my anxiety and stress. She was supportive of me doing a few homeopathic things to help with my lining. We did a second FET and everything went great. Dr. Rubal even came in on her day off to do the transfer!! I so appreciated it. My pregnancy test came back positive but a bit weak. We did 2 more test which were positive...I had an immediate connection with Dr. Rubal and she made me feel like a friend. She had a genuine concern for me and my journey.
the staff [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] was warm, welcoming, and professional...it was mostly the same 2 or 3 nurses the office is a bit more open there so there was a friendly face every visit...Kaiser's clinics are a bit sterile etc. but they are clean and well kept...I follow Dr. Rubal to the Reproductive Fertility Center to do IVF. I was very happy to be able to continue using Dr. Rubal and not having to change (Kaiser doesn't do IVF)...My Kaiser plan covered 50% and 50% of the medications. It was about $2000 with appointments and medication for the IUI...The hospital had everything you needed there for blood draws, medication, etc. which is really convenient.
How was your experience with Lauren Alexandra Rubal at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I could not have asked for a better experience. Dr. Rubal held my hand the whole way. I felt like she was there for me. The process is stressful on so many levels. She was a good listener. She was able to reassure me when I thought I'd made mistakes. She was patient with me when I had her paged at home because I was panicking about something. She was able to talk me thru pros and cons of different treatments. She was very good at making sure the treatment plan took into account the whole picture.
She is very warm and outgoing. If you want to feel like you are getting help from a friend she's for you.
I had an immediate connection with Dr. Rubal and she made me feel like a friend. She had a genuine concern for me and my journey. I was very nervous about my decision to have a baby on my own. I attribute a big part of my courage to continue on my journey to the welcome reception I received from Dr. Rubal and her patience and understanding. Her warm and welcoming attitude was mirrored by her nurse assistance and everyone she worked with. She really created a comforting environment.
Unfortunately, I've waited to do this review and I don't remember the specific protocols etc. I am/was older when I got started. I was intent on just doing it as "natural" as possible. Dr. Rubal was totally fine doing it that way. After one IUI it became apparent my cycle was incredible erratic and in the interest of saving money on office visit waiting for me to ovulate we started a medicated cycle. We used clomid and I think that was it. On my 3rd IUI we were a little more aggressive. After 3 IUI I was required to have a consultation. At the consultation Dr. Rubal was very honest and explain that based on my age it was recommended that I start trying IVF. However, she knew money was a big issue for me and also said that we could keep trying IUI (Once I started the process I had mentally decided I would try 5 times.) and she recommended some medications for that but I don't remember. While waiting for my next cycle I decided I wanted to do IVF. I follow Dr. Rubal to the Reproductive Fertility Center to do IVF. I was very happy to be able to continue using Dr. Rubal and not having to change (Kaiser doesn't do IVF). I had a very successful Egg Retrieval. However, my first FET was cancelled due to poor uterine lining. I was disappointed. The egg retrieval made my fibroids grow quite large and were of a size to be removed. I had 2 when I first went in they were fairly small I don't remember the numbers. After the egg retrieval they were close to 5mm (I am guessing on the number it has been a year and a half). It was recommend as a possibility to remove they to improve my chances of conceiving. My age and financial situation made that a very difficult situation. Dr. Rubal recommended that simply try again as the fibroids were large but not in a bad location. I was very stressed out and she talked me thru my anxiety and stress. She was supportive of me doing a few homeopathic things to help with my lining. We did a second FET and everything went great. Dr. Rubal even came in on her day off to do the transfer!! I so appreciated it. My pregnancy test came back positive but a bit weak. We did 2 more test which were positive.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I worked with Dr. Rubal at Kaiser and at Reproductive Fertility Center. At both places the staff was warm, welcoming, and professional. At the Reproductive Fertility Center I did have one nurse as a point of contact via email and saw her most times but not all. At Kaiser it was mostly the same 2 or 3 nurses the office is a bit more open there so there was a friendly face every visit. Both places had amazing nurses and support staff. This department in Kaiser really uses the email system which is soooo great. I've been using Kaiser my whole life and the RE department has been the best so far at communication and quick response times.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser I really liked that they were so friendly, warm, and responsive. The major drawback being location. The facility is a distance from where I live. The hospital had everything you needed there for blood draws, medication, etc. which is really convenient. I liked that although Kaiser does not provide IVF that you could get that service across the street using the same Dr. I would not have liked having to start a new relationship with a doctor half way thru. Kaiser's clinics are a bit sterile etc. but they are clean and well kept. Reproductive Fertility Center was a little more homey and decorated nicer. It was expensive and they could have done more to help you mitigate the cost of your medications. For example they pharmacy they use has a discount program but no one pointed it out to me and so I didn't know to apply. Also, they use just one pharmacy and automatically put the prescriptions in. Somethings are available cheaper at Costco. They made it hard to comparison shop. It would only be an issue if you are paying out of pocket like me. (Kaiser I was covered) Otherwise the pharmacy was great just not the cheapest.
Describe Lauren Alexandra Rubal's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
At my age at the time of transfer (42) I think it is sometimes recommended that you transfer 2 at the same time. Dr. Rubal said they were planning on just doing one and she felt that was the best coarse of action. After genetic testing I only had 2 embryos left of 11, so I felt if it didn't work having another egg to try again would be better. Also, I did a little research and found that while having 2 transfers upped your chances of becoming pregnant it did not increase your chance of carrying to a live birth. Lastly, as a single mom by choice I wanted to limit my chances of multiples.
Irvine

I met dr Wong one time , and during that time he was very knowledgeable and let us know our chances of becoming pregnant once he diagnosed us with unexplained infertility . He right away wanted to take action and tell us what he recommended and that was an iui. ... We completed to iui treatments with dr Wong , you had to come in on day 3 of your period get scanned to make sure everything is a go , then prescribed Clomid 50 mg to take day3- day 7 then on day 8 take a shot of 1ml fermera sub q . On day 10 go in again for another ultrasound scan and the NP would then tell you when to administer your HCG trigger shot and the date to come in for insemination
The clinic [Kaiser Permanente] is very busy just stay up to date with your appts and be your own patient advocate , don’t be scared to ask any questions and if something should be done differently . All of the staff was very friendly and took there time with answering all your questions ... I would say the only reason I felt like a number was due to the scheduling system you had to call everyday that you were on your cycle to find an available appointment time , and this was difficult for me since I was driving an hour there and back.
How was your experience with Kenneth Wong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
That you might only get to see him one time , unless you change your course of action.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
She had wonderful bedside manner and very detailed with explanations and procedures
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic is very busy just stay up to date with your appts and be your own patient advocate , don’t be scared to ask any questions and if something should be done differently . All of the staff was very friendly and took there time with answering all your questions
About 700 dollars per iui
Kenneth Wong
Fontana

He [Dr. Rosencrantz] asked many follow up questions about how we were doing as a couple and for our mental health outside of treatment. Appeared very interested and engaged with us in conversation. ... He was very patient and answered all of our millions of questions. We were very confident in his ability. ... He is also honest and will tell you exactly like it is.
Kaiser is very organized, fairly easy to navigate. ... I also wish they had fertility options in other locations other than just Irvine. I live in north orange county. ... [nursing staff] Professional, kind, happy ... No treatment started yet, only consultation. Currently we are saving money to be able to afford treatment ... Preference was eSET due to my history of RPL
How was your experience with Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
He was wonderful, thorough, compassionate, informative, delicate but honest and presented information clearly. He was very patient and answered all of our millions of questions. We were very confident in his ability. He is unfortunately not with Kaiser any longer, so to follow him to his private clinic may cost us more out of pocket, but he's worth it. If we can somehow financially manage it.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
You're in good hands, he is thorough and patient and kind. He is also honest and will tell you exactly like it is. He uses helpful statistics in explaining the outcome of certain situations and he acts as though you are his first patient, meaning he takes time with you as if he has an endless amount. Very patient
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
He asked many follow up questions about how we were doing as a couple and for our mental health outside of treatment. Appeared very interested and engaged with us in conversation.
Describe the protocols Marcus Rosencrantz used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
Professional, kind, happy
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser is very organized, fairly easy to navigate. But, I do wish the first provider (before Rosencrantz) had suggested testing my husband earlier in the process to avoid painful invasive procedures on myself. I also wish they had fertility options in other locations other than just Irvine. I live in north orange county.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcus Rosencrantz at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
10% co-insurance per visit
Describe Marcus Rosencrantz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Preference was eSET due to my history of RPL
Marcus Rosencrantz
Irvine

She [Dr. Ghahremani] made it seem that the IUI won’t really help me. She did offer to do a separate consultation with her and discuss the possibility of IVF. When I asked what is it that can be causing failed IUI treatments. She said that it was way too many things that could be causing my unexplained infertility...I didn’t think the treatment was personalized to me. they did standard tests, but maybe if they had a more personalized approach, the treatment could have helped.
Liz [nurse at Kaiser Permanente] is amazing. She always made each procedure feel natural. I always left hopeful...The strength of Kaiser: lots of things can be done in one place (lab, pharmacy, treatment) The weakness: too standardized of an approach and very Very limited flexibility in terms of appointments. I always had to take a lot of time off work. I wish they were open before 8am and closed later than 4pm. Those hours made it very difficult to get to the clinic. Also, they’re not open on Saturdays, which is not good since the woman’s cycle doesn’t abide by days of week. I felt that sometimes it would have been better (my cycle wise) for me to come in on a Saturday.
How was your experience with Mandana Ghahremani at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
The doctor is very open and compassionate. However, I left feeling a bit defeated after each visit. She made it seem that the IUI won’t really help me. She did offer to do a separate consultation with her and discuss the possibility of IVF. When I asked what is it that can be causing failed IUI treatments. She said that it was way too many things that could be causing my unexplained infertility. I understand that they can’t say much and maybe it’s the way Kaiser handles things, but even though I felt like I was being treated well, I didn’t think the treatment was personalized to me. they did standard tests, but maybe if they had a more personalized approach, the treatment could have helped.
Keep asking questions.
The doctor was very open with me and took the time to discuss things with me.
Everything seemed very standard.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Liz Vargas )
Liz is amazing. She always made each procedure feel natural. I always left hopeful.
Mandana Ghahremani
Los Angeles

[Dr. Ben-Ozer] was able to convey her message that time was running out, I'm 41, but was also encouraging and compassionate. She immediately expressed that it was courageous and scary to start this process but she was there to help. She was very kind. Every time I meet with her she gives me a hug. I have complete confidence in her assessments and direction that she would like me to go...I have to have polyps and fibroids removed in two separate procedures. Ben-Ozer has suggested that egg retrieval happen before since I have low ovarian reserve a one level suggests a quick decline of my egg health. She has made clear that egg retrieval is the priority since it may take a while to schedule the procedures.
The nursing staff [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] are always nice and encouraging... is very efficient. Patient's do not spend a lot of time in the waiting room and there is a wall dedicated to encouraging notes to patients. Check in can be somewhat confusing if you use the self check in. It's easier to go to the window to check in because you will get directed to the correct room...I have to have polyps and fibroids removed in two separate procedures. Ben-Ozer has suggested that egg retrieval happen before since I have low ovarian reserve a one level suggests a quick decline of my egg health. She has made clear that egg retrieval is the priority since it may take a while to schedule the procedures.
How was your experience with Snunit Ben-Ozer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Snunit Ben-Ozer was able to convey her message that time was running out, I'm 41, but was also encouraging and compassionate. She immediately expressed that it was courageous and scary to start this process but she was there to help. She was very kind. Every time I meet with her she gives me a hug. I have complete confidence in her assessments and direction that she would like me to go.
Be ready to hear the truth even if it hurts. She is there to help.
She was honest about the health of eggs at my age but was positive about finding out the issues and compassionate. She always gives me a hug when I leave her office.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The nursing staff are always nice and encouraging.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser's Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility Department is very efficient. Patient's do not spend a lot of time in the waiting room and there is a wall dedicated to encouraging notes to patients. Check in can be somewhat confusing if you use the self check in. It's easier to go to the window to check in because you will get directed to the correct room.
Since I was going through my insurance and I had repeated pregnancy loss I only had to pay $90 for a full work up.