6.9

10777 Nall Avenue
Overland Park, KS 66211
913-588-2229

Treated 2017 - 2019
Dr. Marsh is compassionate and I feel she is smart. However, I don’t feel supported enough by her. I have only met her twice, but she is making all of my healthcare decisions regarding next steps in my fertility journey. I would think her weaknesses would include not communicating to her patient enough or getting to know someone and their situation. This should be apparent to any physician to get to know their patient.
I cannot stress this enough. I would make sure you stay on top of scheduling, treatments, medications, and follow-up appointments. [at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine]. ... My husband went in for a sperm freeze for a future IUI cycle. The sperm was analyzed and thrown away. It was not frozen because the appointment was not correct, the order wasn’t placed, and the technician that roomed him did not ask what he was there for that day. The clinic called us to let us know. He went back to the clinic the same day to provide another one. ... Communication is a huge weakness for this clinic and it’s important to be your own advocate. I would say a strength is knowing the cycles, the treatments and understanding the diagnosis. However, compassion and communication are huge downfalls.
How was your experience with Courtney Marsh at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Courtney Marsh at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
I would definitely make sure that you are in charge of your healthcare and you are staying on top of what you need to do to become pregnant. I would write every question you have down and don’t feel like you are being rushed out of the room.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Courtney Marsh at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
My experience with Dr. Marsh did not feel as though I was human, but not quite a number. In the matter of almost 2 years that I have been established with this RE, I have only seen this physician twice. During this time, I asked for a return appointment to discuss my next steps. After that appointment, I have yet to see my physician again. I continue to message my clinic regarding my treatments and the next step I want to take. The messages I receive in the portal do not make me feel that they have any idea how many cycles, IUIs, or miscarriages I have had. I feel when I message my doctor’s office I should receive a response with thought, understanding, and poise. I would not say this happens every time I interact with this office. However, I believe it is 85% of the time that I feel the nurses have not read my background and understood the treatments I have gone through prior to messaging me in regard to my care. In that regard, I do feel I am just a number to them. During my person to person interactions, I feel they are compassionate to an extent. If I was not a nurse and didn’t understand the importance of being in charge of your healthcare, then I would think my healthcare would fall through the cracks at this facility.
Describe the protocols Courtney Marsh used in your cycles at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I was never told what the name of any of my protocols that she put me on. I was told that we would start out with Progesterone (for induction of my cycle) and Letrozole. I believe my first cycle was 2.5mg tablets and taking 2 a day from days 3-7. Then, I would do OPKS to assess ovulation. My husband and I would have intercourse once there was a positive OPK for 3 days straight. My 2nd cycle I was increased to 7.5mg for days 3-7. This dose increase I had to ask the office for. I did get pregnant on my 2nd cycle of this strategy and it resulted in miscarriage. I had a D&C. Then, I did 3 cycles of Progesterone, Letrozole, and Ovidrel (trigger shot). These 3 cycles ended in negative pregnancy tests. These 6 cycles I was never given a rationale as to why this strategy is being used over another. I was outlined the basics of Progesterone induces the cycle, Letrozole helps you ovulate, and the trigger shot gives you a 99% ovulation chance. At this point, I requested that I see Dr. Marsh to talk about my next step. I was told that my only chance of getting pregnant would be IVF. At this appointment, IUI was never discussed with me if I didn’t bring it up myself. Dr. Marsh said this could be an option, but would not be successful and we should go straight to IVF. We took a couple months off from treatment and I started hormones again. I was told that we would be doing Progesterone for induction of cycle, Letrozole and trigger shots. I did not have a rationale as to why we could not try any different medications. I had one cycle with Progesterone induction. I did not do hormones this cycle due to not having a heavy flow. So, the next month I did IUI. I did Letrozole 7.5mg days 3-7, Ovidrel for trigger shot, and follicular ultrasounds to track my follicles for the day of IUI. This resulted in a negative pregnancy test. I am currently in the middle of my cycle as I type this. I was told directions by Dr. Marsh to do Letrozole 7.5mg days 3-7, no trigger shot, and OPKS this cycle. I will await another pregnancy test later this month.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
As a nurse, I feel it is important to show compassion. I did not feel that from this group of nurses, except one. Hilary is a great nurse at that facility! The only way to communicate with the nursing staff is through a portal. If you call the clinic, they advise you for any questions or concerns to message them on the portal. I continue to ask questions because I want to be in charge of my healthcare. I feel most of the time I continue to get answers that are not organized or I feel they do not know my care at all. I find myself frustrated and stressed when I receive a message back that I feel is not organized. If there is a portal that you use specifically for communication with your patients, then you should be able to pull up the old messages in regards to what the patient has said previously. This portal goes to all the nurses in the clinic and I usually get a different nurse messaging me back every time. I was never assigned a nurse coordinator to specifically know my treatment plan. This causes disorganization when I messaged the facility. My husband went in for a sperm analysis and freeze prior to a trip. I had been in communication with the nursing staff about my husband only being able to get that specific day off for an appointment. This appointment resulted in error and the sperm was not frozen. This was not acceptable and it was scheduled wrong. I have felt compassion from some of the nurses, but I have only seen one person to person. She was lovely. I have a hard time trusting people that are in charge of my care when the only time I can speak with them is through a portal.
Describe your experience with Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
I cannot stress this enough. I would make sure you stay on top of scheduling, treatments, medications, and follow-up appointments. Communication is a huge weakness for this clinic and it’s important to be your own advocate. I would say a strength is knowing the cycles, the treatments and understanding the diagnosis. However, compassion and communication are huge downfalls.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Courtney Marsh at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance covered the diagnostic and lab tests. I did have to go to a different facility for a test that was out of network for my insurance and ended up having to pay for that. My IUI was not covered by insurance.
What specific things went wrong at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
My husband went in for a sperm freeze for a future IUI cycle. The sperm was analyzed and thrown away. It was not frozen because the appointment was not correct, the order wasn’t placed, and the technician that roomed him did not ask what he was there for that day. The clinic called us to let us know. He went back to the clinic the same day to provide another one. This sample would only be frozen for a future IVF cycle and not IUI. We did not have the money for IVF at the time and we wanted to IUI after him coming back from a trip to a Zika exposed place. Once he went into the clinic, I received another phone call that he could come back to give another sample 48 hours later to freeze for IUI. We did not have to pay for two freezing storages for both samples.
Treated 2018 - 2019
All five rounds [with Dr. Courtney Marsh] were three days of letrozole, then at about cycle day 6 I would start gonal f injections along with regular ultrasounds...All of this was instructed through the portal. Each round the amount of gonal f would be increased. All resulted in negative pregnancy tests...I was never told that I had low ovarian reserve after testing...only actually spoke to her twice. Once for my consultation, before any treatment, and then in the last month when I decided that we were not a good fit. Primarily I spoke to nurses only through the portal. I never actually got any results face to face or over the phone.
Primarily I spoke to nurses [at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] only through the portal. I never actually got any results face to face or over the phone...The nursing staff was really the only interaction I had. The regular scans would be with them. It felt a little bit like an assembly line as we would all be waiting and just called back, taken care of and sent on our way. I got all my results through the portal and a brief follow up message on the portal with instructions from the nurses. Any questions would be sent back through the portal and responded to fairly quickly by the nurses in the portal. Clinic Errors
I only met with Dr. Marsh twice. Once before starting any treatment and then ten months later. I did not hear the words “Diminished ovarian reserve” until the second meeting after five rounds of treatment. I asked if IVF would be an option and was told there would be the same chance of success with what was being done at the time. Multiple other doctors have said they would have gone to IVF immediately instead of spending so much time doing other treatment. I believe if I have been told I had diminished ovarian reserve at the beginning, I probably would have researched Dr. Marsh’s success rates earlier. If I had a friend that was under 35, I might recommend them going to Dr. Marsh, but anyone struggling to get pregnant I would recommend elsewhere.
If you just need a little help getting pregnant and you appreciate a relatively hands off approach, she will be great.
I worked with Dr. Marsh for ten months and only actually spoke to her twice. Once for my consultation, before any treatment, and then in the last month when I decided that we were not a good fit. Primarily I spoke to nurses only through the portal. I never actually got any results face to face or over the phone.
All five rounds were three days of letrozole, then at about cycle day 6 I would start gonal f injections along with regular ultrasounds. After a few days I would be told to do the ovidril shot with intercourse three days after. All of this was instructed through the portal. Each round the amount of gonal f would be increased. All resulted in negative pregnancy tests. I tended to have ovarian cysts after a round of treatment which would add another month where nothing could be done.
The clinic seems quite qualified for working with women who do not have any struggles with getting pregnant. They don’t seem to have many tools available if you are struggling to get pregnant naturally.
My insurance covered most of the procedures and medication, but not the blood lab draws that were done regularly.
Describe Courtney Marsh's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Marsh was not willing to try any kind of transfer.
I was never told that I had low ovarian reserve after testing. I was told that I was good to go and to start the procedure they had described.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Marsh is friendly and very knowledgeable. However, I felt like my care plan is not fully satisfying my needs, and that might be that I am not pregnant yet or I am not grasping the plan. We have been trying for 2 years next month, 8 failed medicated cycles, and yet when I ask questions I feel like I get the bare minimum answers. "try again next month, don't give up", "everything looks fine", but no additional labs or test are done to investigate why this is not working. I am might be jaded when it comes to this but I feel like I have to go above and beyond to advocate for myself.
The nursing staff is great at KU. You will see them more than Dr. Marsh, they are compassionate, quick to respond, and friendly. I have notice some turnover which is a little concerning, but all of the nurses that I have come into contact have been very pleasant!...IUI - $600...There are often a long waiting period when doing an IUI, I wish that they would call when the specimen has been completed. They typically tell you when to show up after your partner's appointment and I have waited close to 2 hours (after my scheduled time) before the specimen was ready. The clinic has a friendly front desk. The front desk staff can be a little frazzled sometimes, but I just patiently work with them. The billing is such a pain, if you have any insurance that covers fertility treatment it can be a pain to get accurate invoices, I finally got a bill corrected from January. Also, they require you pay upfront for IUI services, which is no problem but then they bill you for it after as well, which again is a pain. When I called to get this corrected, they expected me to know that it wasn't a bill, that my payment had not posted in their systems...
Take her demeanor with a grain of salt, she can come off as being curt, but again I have very pleasant conversations with her, when I actually do speak to her.
All communication is done via email and makes it difficult to have a personal touch. I have only visited with Dr. Marsh twice, the rest have been via email and her nursing staff (which is wonderful). I had to beg the front desk to speak in person with a Nurse when I was really struggling with the fertility drugs. I did get to be seen, but it made me feel like I had to go above and beyond to advocate for myself and not be 'another email'.
We started with an HSG that showed a partial blocked right tube and a pre diagnosis of PCOS. Then was prescribed Letrozole 5mg starting CD 3 - CD 7 and did follicle ultrasounds on CD 10. Follicles did not respond and she upped the Letrozole to 7 mg, again follicle ultrasound on CD 10. The right follicles were the only side responding and not very well. Letrozole said the same, but added GONAL-F 50 mg injections on CD 7 - CD 10. The left side started to respond but my dominate follicles were on the right. We did this treatment for 6 months, and decided to take a break last May. In August 2019 we started again and in addition to the Letrozole and GONAL-F, Clomid (do not have the dosage but it was 3 tablets a night CD 3 - 7) was added. We had a great response with the Clomid and was able to do our first IUI in August, it failed. We did the same cycle plan in October, the Clomid and Letrozole responded better and I did not have to do the injections of the GONAL-F. We tried another IUI end of September and I am currently in the TWW to know if it was successful.
IUI - $600, Ultrasounds - Unknown Insurance covered, HSG - - Unknown Insurance covered, GONAL- F - $350, Clomid - $30 with insurance, Letrozole - $4
Treated 2018 - 2019
100% treated like a human by Dr. Holoch...has called me directly to discuss next steps, results and even to tell me I was pregnant (I later miscarried). She is AWESOME...Be prepared to only see her at the initial consult, which is usually far out from when you are actively "needing" to see her (and when you will want advice from her and live conversations vs portal messages). She is an amazing and empathetic doctor, just very hard to get in touch with due to barriers the clinic puts in place.
[Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] Forgot to call in Progesterone for first IUI cycle -Did not check in on me when I was Hyperstemming from IVF retrieval (I had to call them to get updates and ask what to do) -Didn't change my D&C appointment to a consult after I miscarried on my own after IVF cycle -Doesn't try to get you scheduled quickly and instead prioritizes new patient consults on the Dr's calendar
How was your experience with Kristin Holoch at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Holoch has called me directly to discuss next steps, results and even to tell me I was pregnant (I later miscarried). She is AWESOME... ***IF*** you can talk/connect with her instead of the clinic and nurses.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristin Holoch at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristin Holoch at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
100% treated like a human by Dr. Holoch. Her back office and nurses on the other hand - 100% like a NUMBER which is so frustrating.
Describe the protocols Kristin Holoch used in your cycles at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
6 IUIs - Levothyroxine 1 Retrieval - Gonal-F, Menopur Prep for Transfer - PIO, Estradiol
In person, the nurses are compassionate and helpful. But if you are not in the office, the only way to contact them is to leave a voicemail or a portal message, and they typically do not call you back (instead they portal message you back). You are shuffled from nurse to nurse, and never know who will be responding to your message. They must be completely overwhelmed (due to their response time) or lack a sense of urgency.
The first clinic that I was at assigned me a specific NP; this clinic does not assign you to anyone, and if they do, you are shuffled from nurse to nurse and never know who you will talk to or when. They also do not try to get you into the Doctor to get any concerns addressed (which I'm sure is protocol to try to address concerns themselves). For instance, I miscarried at 7wks after my first IVF transfer, and was told that I couldn't get in to talk to my Dr about next steps for another 5 weeks. (!)
Describe Kristin Holoch's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
In hindsight, I wish I would have let her suggest what we do. I basically told her that I was told by my last doctor that we needed to transfer only one, since I had preeclampsia with my first baby and was at risk of developing it again.
-Forgot to call in Progesterone for first IUI cycle -Did not check in on me when I was Hyperstemming from IVF retrieval (I had to call them to get updates and ask what to do) -Didn't change my D&C appointment to a consult after I miscarried on my own after IVF cycle -Doesn't try to get you scheduled quickly and instead prioritizes new patient consults on the Dr's calendar
Overland Park
Dr. Lydic has a great bedside manner and always makes time for questions during office appointments. ...Dr. Lydic is very personable and really seems to care about his patients. I have had him paged after hours and he responded very quickly. He makes time for me during my office visits and explains everything very clearly. ...3 cycles of timed intercourse- neg 2 cycles with 2.5 Letrozole, 1 w/ HCG trigger and 1 w/o- neg 1 IUI w/ 5.0 Letrozole and HCG trigger - neg
The nurses do not take phone calls, only emails. ... The clinic appointments [Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] are always on time and the receptionist at check in is very sweet. ... When I would need to have my labs drawn outside of the clinic the orders were rarely in the system. ... In person, I was given the incorrect test results and had to return to the clinic the next day for the correct information. ...
How was your experience with Michael Lydic at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Lydic at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
When choosing him you are essentially choosing a clinic where you rarely talk to a person. Pretty much all communication is done through a website app. and you rarely get a phone call about labs/tests. Although he is a great doctor, the circumstances/clinic around him are the drawback.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Lydic at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Lydic has a great bedside manner and always makes time for questions during office appointments. Unfortunately, his nursing staff made me feel like a number and part of a cookie cutter fertility protocol that is one size fits all.
Describe the protocols Michael Lydic used in your cycles at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
The nurses do not take phone calls, only emails. I have to sometimes send 4-5 emails just to get a clear answer to a question. Most of the time my questions are dismissed completely. I generally end up making an office appointment after dealing with the nurses just to get legitimate answers. The nurses make me feel as though I have the same rubber stamped planned as the other patients.
The clinic appointments are always on time and the receptionist at check in is very sweet. The clinic has fairly good business hours and I can usually get an appointment within a reasonable amount of time. Lab is onsite at one clinic location.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Lydic at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
Each IUI is $600 not including meds. Insurance doesn't cover the HCG trigger shot and it runs about $100.
When I would need to have my labs drawn outside of the clinic the orders were rarely in the system. I asked two separate nurses to follow up regarding a lab I needed drawn. Neither of them spoke with the doctor about ordering the lab. I had to make another office appointment just to speak with him about it. In person, I was given the incorrect test results and had to return to the clinic the next day for the correct information.
Michael Lydic
Treated 2016 - 2018
When I actually did see dr. Marsh, she was in very briefly and didn't acknowledge my concerns about cost, which Is a huge factor for us.she disregarded those questions aaaand asked like it didn't matter. I also have Cystic Fibrosis, which causes extra cervical mucus. She did not think that was a concern and did not address it. I feel this was a factor as all my nurses that performed my iuis mentioned it everytime that day. But my treatment was not altered.
[KU Center for Advanced Reproductive Med is] Hard to get in for a first visit, and they are hard to get ahold of. I would call multiple times a day and it would go straight to voicemail. Everyone was helpful once I was in the office. They were no help at all when I asked about financial options, and just told me I had to pay the full amount. No payment plan option or anything.
Be prepared to do your own research and understand all your options before you make any decisions.
Very hard to get ahold of nurses to make sure I got my correct meds I needed on time
I was prescribed clomid and a shot to release the eggs. I was also prescribed levothyroxine and told to take folic acid. Told to call on day 1 of cycle, and start mess, then ultrasound, then iui.
Very nice when you walked in, but not very helpful asking when calling to ask questions.
$600 per iui, with a few hundred dollars for meds. $125 per ultrasound, which I did 1-2 per cycle.
I was due for for my meds, and tried to pick them up at the pharmacy but the nurse never called it in. I was 2 days late starting my prescribed meds.
Overland Park

They [KS University Center] are quick to get you an appointment, but other than that I just felt like a number. The front desk staff was usually friendly. The wait time was usually about 15 minutes. ... I felt like we were rushed for our appointments and all the results were provided through the portal and not explained in person or over the phone. ... There was one excellent nurse named Jen that we loved. She truly cared about her patients and was the only one that didn't make you feel like you were just a number.
I didn't have a good experience as a patient with Dr. Holoch. We only saw her 3 times in the year that we went through treatment with her. Our treatment plan never changed, despite several failed IUI cycles. She was late to every appointment. She was 30 minutes late to our last appointment and then was very defensive when talking with us. No one came in to tell us that she was running behind, so we just sat there waiting. Then our appointment only lasted maybe 15 minutes.
Advocate for yourself and push for your protocol to be changed if what you are doing isn't working.
The first couple of appointments were better, but after that we always just felt like a number. I felt like we were rushed for our appointments and all the results were provided through the portal and not explained in person or over the phone.
Every IUI it was Femara for 5 days, Gonal F for usually 2 days at 75 units, and progesterone supplements after the IUI. I had 7 IUIs done and every single one resulted in a BFN.
There was one excellent nurse named Jen that we loved. She truly cared about her patients and was the only one that didn't make you feel like you were just a number. Everyone else seemed to always be in a hurry. Several of my scans were only like 5 minutes long and they didn't communicate anything to me during it.
They are quick to get you an appointment, but other than that I just felt like a number. The front desk staff was usually friendly. The wait time was usually about 15 minutes. Advocate for yourself or they will just keep doing the same thing every single time. I also only had a doctor do my IUI once.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristin Holoch at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
IUIs were $600 each plus medications, so for me each IUI was around $1,000. Monitoring and lab work was covered by my insurance.
Treated 2017
I was only able to see Dr. Holloch one time at our initial consult....Upon meeting Dr Holloch she was kind and compassionate... We were disappointed that it would be the only time we ever actually saw her over our treatment of 8 months. And we’re told the only way we would be able to see her would be to schedule an IVF consult...Dr. Holloch suggested we try 4 rounds of chlomid (50 mg) in our own
Overall the nurses are friendly but disorganized. Don’t expect to have a personal relationship formed at this clinic with the staff [KU Med]. I certainly felt like another number not a human being trying to build a family.... I was disturbed that each nurse would have a different answer to my same question. During my second IUI the nurse laughed as she was in the middle of turkey basting me and said “oh I hope I did that right” .
Upon meeting Dr Holloch she was kind and compassionate. She provided my husband and I with our first feeling of hope to expand our family in a year. We were disappointed that it would be the only time we ever actually saw her over our treatment of 8 months. And we’re told the only way we would be able to see her would be to schedule an IVF consult.
I would say to have done research. Know the important questions to ask, things to expects, and to discuss your expectations as patients with her.
I was only able to see Dr. Holloch one time at our initial consult. During each monthly visit I had a new nurse who clearly had not reviewed my file and did not ask the questions I had assumed would be important to know for my appointment. Ie mid sonogram would ask if I was in for egg retrieval’s or IUIs.
After reviewing my medical history and tests I had already completed through my obgyn at an attempt to discuss the factor causing my infertility. She determined the best plan was to have my husband complete two separate semen analysis - both which came back with “perfect” little swimmers. After ruling out make factor and knowing all my tests came back “normal” Dr. Holloch suggested we try 4 rounds of chlomid (50 mg) in our own aka take a pill everyday for a week then use our OPK at home kits to know the days we should be doing the baby dance. 4 months later no baby. Month 5 and 6 Dr. Holloch had planned to increase chlomid to 100 mg and start IUIS. Neither helped. Dr hollochs (aka her nurses) next recommendation was to schedule an IVF consult (for a small fee of 350$) with Dr Holloch as this was the “next best step and only solution” for my family.
The nursing staff were all over the place. Over 6 months at the clinic I never had the same nurse. I was disturbed that each nurse would have a different answer to my same question. During my second IUI the nurse laughed as she was in the middle of turkey basting me and said “oh I hope I did that right” .. me too since I just paid the receptionist over 600 dollars. Other nurses made promises that today was the day you would be making a baby - not a good thing to promise a desperate woman.
Overall the nurses are friendly but disorganized. Don’t expect to have a personal relationship formed at this clinic with the staff. I certainly felt like another number not a human being trying to build a family.
600 dollars for one round of IUI. 200 dollars per sonogram before the IUI (this cost depends on your insurance, my insurance covered 60% of cost 200 is what I was still owed) 250 dollars for an initial consult. 350 dollars for IVF consult. My HSG test was quoted at up to 2500 dollars and thankfully insurance covered almost all of that. Each semen analysis was a couple hundred dollars (do not recall specific amount).
My husband and I had our initial consult with the clinic and when we showed up they told us we weren’t on the schedule. After some digging we were in fact on the schedule. They were still able to “squeeze” us in with Dr. Holloch which resulted in a rushed initial consult.
Treated 2015 - 2017
I did not feel like I was treated as an individual, because she [Dr. Marsh] never changed protocol or even suggested IVF or IUI all she wanted to do was keep doing TI even after 2 years. As we stayed with her longer, her communication between her and I and her staff and I declined....I had to advocate for myself the entire time I was there, having her as a doctor and the lack of communication and the failed treatments was defeating.
This clinic [Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] did not take into account of some drug intolerances I had which meant when I was given a tetanus shot, as they felt I needed one prior to starting with them since it had been years since my last one, I had an allergic reaction...When I left this clinic they also failed to forward my chart on to the next provider, even after I signed the paperwork and spoke with records several times.
I was face to face with Dr Marsh on two occasions, the first when I had my consult and the second when I was there for what felt like the 100th sonogram. I never had any other form of personal contact from her. I walked away from Dr. Marsh feeling like all I had done was put money in her pocket and make a hole in my bank account and our hearts after month after month or failed attempts. I was so now to everything back then, I had no idea she was not doing everything possible and I did not know anything about IVF back then so I was clueless that IVF may be the answer to our years of unanswered prayers. I had to advocate for myself the entire time I was there, having her as a doctor and the lack of communication and the failed treatments was defeating. I wouldn't want anyone else to ever have to go through that. When you select a provider you do so in hopes they are going to side with you and help you attain a goal, a goal that you both put your heads together to try and achieve, this however did not happen.
If you want to use this provider, be your own advocate, do your own research and learn everything you can about infertility because Dr. Marsh is not the provider who is going to help guide you through this maze.
I did not feel like I was treated as an individual, because she never changed protocol or even suggested IVF or IUI all she wanted to do was keep doing TI even after 2 years. As we stayed with her longer, her communication between her and I and her staff and I declined.
On our first cycle we used clomid 50mg for 5 days and gonal f 75 units at night, my follices did not respond and after 46 days of shots we decided to start over without them inducing a period and switch to femara 5mg for 5 days and then started back on gonal f we raised it to 100 units at night and after 120 days on this cycle I called it just before New Years. Every cycle after that we used femara 5mg and gonal f between 100-175 iu and then HCG shot and did TI none of the cycles resulted in a positive pregnancy but after the first one all of the cycles did result in follicles and with the HCG shot I had a positive ovulation test.
Dr Marsh's nurse was very nice, I cannot remember her name offhand but she always answered my emails within a few hours and if I needed a PA or any med called in she would make sure that I had it even if she needed to figure it out on the weekends or after hours at the office. I saw this nurse more than I saw my provider and she was there for most of my follicle scans and for the negative results every cycle.
The clinic itself is not up to the standards of the parent facility. KU Med is widely known for its amazing providers, state of the art testing/treatments/equipment this clinic was nothing more than an average OB office. You may have an appointment scheduled for something but that is a soft appointment as there are likely to be 5-10 other people scheduled at the same time, especially on the weekends. This clinic used to be open even on the weekends, but as I did my last cycle there they changed to only being open 8-5 Monday through Friday, which, with this type of treatment makes things super complicated.
Usual costs of lab work, ultrasounds, and medications. My HMO covered most of my ultrasounds and lab work and I used compassionate care for the medications that were not covered.
As I stated before if you go here you need to be your own advocate. This clinic did not take into account of some drug intolerances I had which meant when I was given a tetanus shot, as they felt I needed one prior to starting with them since it had been years since my last one, I had an allergic reaction. My arm started to get a welt like a golf ball and it was red and hot to touch in the area, I called and they advised me to go to urgent care locally which told me there was nothing that could be done. The clinic on numerous times told me conflicting things, including after me asking about IVF, them telling me that it is the least effective way to get pregnant and that the numbers of success are less than with TI. When I left this clinic they also failed to forward my chart on to the next provider, even after I signed the paperwork and spoke with records several times.

Treated 2016
Dr. Holoch was always very kind and supportive....Dr. Holoch was a great doctor--caring and compassionate. I never felt rushed during my appointments with her. Her explanations were also clear and easy to understand--she was talented at explaining complex concepts to patients without any medical background....I was able to begin ovarian stimulation with Dr. Holoch in anticipation of going through IVF.... I only had 5 eggs, and my estrogen levels were low enough that Dr. Holoch did not think I would have more than 1 viable egg.
Nurses kept forgetting that my wife and I were a same-sex couple, that she was going to go through egg retrieval and that I was going to carry the baby. The clinic [KU] was a bit of a circus. We'd show up at the time of our appointment and it was basically unpredictable whether we'd be seen on time, or how much time it would take.... My wife almost missed a cycle because they wrote my date of birth instead of hers in a baseline blood test they ordered for her to have on a Friday.
Dr. Holoch was a great doctor--caring and compassionate. I never felt rushed during my appointments with her. Her explanations were also clear and easy to understand--she was talented at explaining complex concepts to patients without any medical background. I would recommend her to anyone experiencing infertility.
I don't really have any advice to give. Dr. Holoch was great.
Dr. Holoch was always very kind and supportive.
I went through 3 unsuccessful IUIs with my own eggs with a different doctor who ended up leaving the KU Med clinic I went to. A few months later, thanks to funding we received from the Baby Quest Foundation, I was able to begin ovarian stimulation with Dr. Holoch in anticipation of going through IVF. Unfortunately, the stimulation was not successful. I only had 5 eggs, and my estrogen levels were low enough that Dr. Holoch did not think I would have more than 1 viable egg. She therefore recommended canceling the IVF and instead doing an IUI, which was not successful. I was then 37. My wife at the time was 28. Given the lack of success with my eggs, we decided to begin an IVF cycle with her eggs. She went through the stimulation and had 13 eggs retrieved, 11 of which were mature. We ended up with 5 fertilized eggs (with sperm from a donor), 2 of which gave us good embryos. We froze the embryos and 1 of them was transferred into my uterus a month later. This is how we had our son.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Christina Williams was the primary nurse. Different coordinators were in charge at different points in time.)
Dr. Holoch was great, but her staff was a disaster. Nurses kept forgetting that my wife and I were a same-sex couple, that she was going to go through egg retrieval and that I was going to carry the baby. The clinic was a bit of a circus. We'd show up at the time of our appointment and it was basically unpredictable whether we'd be seen on time, or how much time it would take. More than once, they ordered the wrong medications and/or forgot to order certain medications. If I had not been on top of things, I would have missed some of the medications I was supposed to take during the stimulation period. Our experience with this clinic was not great. If we had known this ahead of time, we would have selected a different clinic. We're not sure who is to blame--the doctor, the nursing/coordinating team, the system in place, or all of the above.
Because the nursing staff was very disorganized, we did not have a great experience with this clinic. We do not know if our experience extends to the whole clinic or just to the staff who worked with Dr. Holoch. Either way, we would not recommend this clinic.
The canceled IVF cycle, the successful IVF cycle, and the egg transfer ended up costing about $15,000. This does not include any of the medicine.
Given the higher risk associated with twin pregnancies, and because my wife was younger and her eggs were likely to be healthy, Dr. Holoch recommended transferring only 1 embryo at a time, which is what we did.
Another example of things that went wrong: My wife almost missed a cycle because they wrote my date of birth instead of hers in a baseline blood test they ordered for her to have on a Friday. Since the clinic closes early on Fridays, the error could not be fixed until the following week. The list of examples like these goes on and on.
Treated 2015
We went with this clinic [Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] because we had a successful IUI previously to conceive our daughter. However, IVF is a whole other ballgame. Dr. Marsh did VERY little testing, only a saline sonogram to check my uterus. She did not complete new bloodwork or do any other sonograms to check for other potential issues. On the day of fresh transfer she was completely unable and or unwilling to answer questions about our embryos when we discovered there was only one that made it to blastocyst.
We went with this clinic because we had a successful IUI previously to conceive our daughter. However, IVF is a whole other ballgame. Dr. Marsh did VERY little testing, only a saline sonogram to check my uterus. She did not complete new bloodwork or do any other sonograms to check for other potential issues. On the day of fresh transfer she was completely unable and or unwilling to answer questions about our embryos when we discovered there was only one that made it to blastocyst. That transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy. For our frozen transfer she only required two monitoring checks and told us our blastocyst looked "good." (Later we would find out from a VERY well respected dr that the same blastocyst had quite a few dead cells. I was likely to not result in pregnancy.) Overall I do not feel that Dr. Marsh was honest with us about chances for that pregnancy.
I would STRONGLY recommend NOT using this doctor or clinic.
I voiced some serious concerns over treatment at one point and the nurse was not able to answer the questions. Dr. Marsh did call me back and took some time to explain her reasons for the treatment. Nurses for the most part were patient and kind.
I started with BC to line up my cycle with when the clinic would do retrievals. I then began injections of follistim, menopur, and ganirilex. After 10 days I took a trigger shot of Novarel and then had the egg retrieval. That evening I was on Medrol, Doxycycline, Estrogen, and Progesterone. Transfer was completed 5 days later. This cycle was a chemical pregnancy. For the FET I was on Estradiol for 20 days before starting Endometrim for 5 days and then the transfer. I also had estradiol patches to increase lining. This transfer was negative.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jen and Rachelle)
The nursing staff was wonderful (although this is important, I STRONGLY recommend not choosing a clinic based on the kindness of nurses. You want someone who gets you pregnant!)
This clinic has undergone MAJOR changes during 2015. Three doctors left as well as the head of their lab. To my knowledge Marsh is the only doctor who is actually board certified. I have used this clinic in some aspect since 2012 and have witnessed it slowly fall apart.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
Monitoring appointments were only done in the morning between 7-9 am. It was different every time I went whether you would wait for 5 minutes or 50.
A cycle of IVF was just under $10k without medication. A frozen cycle was a little over $4k without medication. All testing was a separate charge.
The quality of a transferred frozen embryo was completely ignored. We were told it was "good" and only later did another VERY well respected doctor tell us it had quite a few dead cells.

Treated 2013
We didn3 IUIs with dr Milroy and prior to that several timed intercourse cycles. None of our cycles were successful and I only saw dr Milroy once and that was during our initial consultation....Dr Milroy was our first RE and I was “younger” at 28 when we started seeing her. I felt she never took our concerns seriously. She misdiagnosed me with a bicornuate uterus, on top of several other fertility misses. I saw her during our initial consultation and then never again. She didn’t do any ultrasounds, didn’t call to let me know what was going o
I never saw the same nurse. I had asked multiple times that when they called and had to leave a message they [KU Med] leave the result... They were so busy and so unorganized. It became so frustrating as a patient. ..I had to always call back and hope to catch someone who could give me my lab value. I was also asked by a nurse to switch pharmacies so it would be easier for her...I had to call several times with issues from pharmacy, to lab results and even correct labs
How was your experience with Colleen Milroy at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Milroy was our first RE and I was “younger” at 28 when we started seeing her. I felt she never took our concerns seriously. She misdiagnosed me with a bicornuate uterus, on top of several other fertility misses. I saw her during our initial consultation and then never again. She didn’t do any ultrasounds, didn’t call to let me know what was going on, and didn’t do one of our IUIs
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Colleen Milroy at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Have a good knowledge of fertility, advocate for yourself, ask questions. When you feel it is time to move on, do so
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Colleen Milroy at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
We didn3 IUIs with dr Milroy and prior to that several timed intercourse cycles. None of our cycles were successful and I only saw dr Milroy once and that was during our initial consultation. The nursing staff was not helpful and I actually had one nurse ask me if I could use a different pharmacy so it would be easier for her
Describe the protocols Colleen Milroy used in your cycles at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I don’t remember, we did 3 IUIs and two were with injectables
I never saw the same nurse. I had asked multiple times that when they called and had to leave a message they leave the result. I had been told we were unexplained infertility (now know that is completely inaccurate) and was told after each lab, “everything looks great!” I had to always call back and hope to catch someone who could give me my lab value. I was also asked by a nurse to switch pharmacies so it would be easier for her
The office was nice. They were so busy and so unorganized. It became so frustrating as a patient. I now realize that it is not the norm for the RE to be in on appointments and procedures. It makes it so much easier on everyone when they are present. It was so frustrating trying to get answers even when I was physically in the office
Describe the costs associated with your care under Colleen Milroy at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
I don’t remember the cost
Describe Colleen Milroy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
We never discussed ivf
Colleen Milroy
Treated 2014 - 2015
Dr Courtney Marsh is the nicest Dr. She listens, she is compassionate. Now that being said. I think she isnt aggressive enough with her harder cases. She likes to follow the book and treat every case like a text book case, which infertility is definitely not text book.... Im DOR. Ive always been on the highest amount of meds for the longest they can push me. Usually 12-14 days. Ive always did 5 day transfers. With progesterone until 14dpt. With donor eggs the only thing we did differently was tried to endo scratch. Those results were never sent off to be tested.
I think the clinic [Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Med-Overland Park] overall is an ok clinic. Im just not sure they are aggressive enough with treatments. They are textbook.... All of the ultrasound techs are very compassionate which is good because you see them alot. I only had a primary IVF nurse because I only ever did IVF. She was nice but easily aggravated. The blood lab ladies were always very nice.
Not sure.
I think the Kansas City area as a whole lacks enough Reproductive Endocrinologists. With as many couples seeking treatment as there are. This clinic as well as every other one in the area, they're just busy. And you are on there time.
All ultra sound nurses are great
I believe it was 10-12 thousand. Not counting medication.
Never had the choice. Usually only had one to transfer.
I think the clinic overall is an ok clinic. Im just not sure they are aggressive enough with treatments. They are textbook.
Treated 2015
Dr. Marsh was kind, empathetic and professional....However, after 3 cycles converted to IUIs and 1 retrieval that failed to make a blast, we felt that the entire practice and lab was too new and thought we could get better results at a more established clinic....One thing is make sure you get the office to agree to in-person consultations after a failed procedure. My husband and I had a hard time getting a time and a location to meet with Dr. Marsh after our failed retrieval.
Overall, they felt like a very young clinic [KU Med] and even though another doctor had been there for a while, they appeared to be changing methodologies...Turri was the main nurse and IVF coordinator. She was professional and all business. I sometimes needed her to re-explain or walk through Items again because she would fly through the instructions. It would have been nice to have been shown a little more compassion. The other nurses we interacted with for shots and during retrieval were warmer.
Dr. Marsh was very professional and kind. However, after 3 cycles converted to IUIs and 1 retrieval that failed to make a blast, we felt that the entire practice and lab was too new and thought we could get better results at a more established clinic.
Dr. Marsh was kind, empathetic and professional.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Turri Hall)
Overall, they felt like a very young clinic and even though another doctor had been there for a while, they appeared to be changing methodologies. Once we discovered SART reports, my husband and I felt they didn’t have the successes to continue with them.
Treated 2014 - 2015
She [Dr. Krieg] was very nice although I wish she'd gone over more of the risks on the hormone treatments and the likelihood (or not) of success... Most of the time they treated me as a human, but the entire process lends more to feeling like a number.
Most of the time they [staff Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] treated me as a human, but the entire process lends more to feeling like a number... I'm not sure it's totally the clinic's fault, but because much is 'outsourced'--medications, genetic testing, etc. This information was not always clearly transferred from one party to the next.
How was your experience with Sacha Krieg at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
This doctor's name is Sacha Krieg, I believe, not how it's spelled above. She was very nice although I wish she'd gone over more of the risks on the hormone treatments and the likelihood (or not) of sucesss
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sacha Krieg at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Ask questions and don't get your hopes up.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sacha Krieg at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Christina Williams)
She was fine when I was able to talk to her directly but this was often not the case so I often felt confused and 'on my own.'
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sacha Krieg at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
$13,000 for IVF (egg retrieval and transfer) $5,000+ for meds $1,500 genetic testing
Sacha Krieg
Overland Park
We only met her [Dr. Courtney Marsh] one time at our first visit even though we had about 20 visits. She was too busy and it cost over $100 just to talk with her on the phone to explain anything to us about our treatment options. Nothing was personalized just take this pill or shot then come in every 3 days and nothing worked...I raised concerns that were never addressed...We did Clomid, Fermera pills that never helped. She kept trying to make them work, but it wasted so much time and money to have to keep coming in to check. Then we moved to the Gonl-F shots and trigger shots.
Lack of a true plan or understanding of why we were doing things [at KU Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine]...was going to be gone for work for 3 days and I let them know a few times then when they scheduled me on one of those days I was like I am out of town I have told you that a number of times, but they never listened. A total lack of communication...Then I would log onto the portal and nothing was there or anything. It was lazy and not caring.
Courtney Mash didn't care or take the time to ever inform us about our cycle plan or why she thought it would be best to do what she suggested. I raised concerns that were never addressed. I also was going to be gone for work for 3 days and I let them know a few times then when they scheduled me on one of those days I was like I am out of town I have told you that a number of times, but they never listened. A total lack of communication or a plan to feel like spending thousands of dollars helped at all. A total waste of our money, time and stress.
I would highly suggest to go somewhere else! If you want to actually meet with your doctor without waiting and spending hundreds of dollars more then she is not the one for you. I have done better research and will go somewhere else that gets the best reviews and you actually get to meet with your doctor at no extra charge! What an amazing thought to actually meet with you doctor and not just comminuted with the nurses via the portal!
We only met her one time at our first visit even though we had about 20 visits. She was too busy and it cost over $100 just to talk with her on the phone to explain anything to us about our treatment options. Nothing was personalized just take this pill or shot then come in every 3 days and nothing worked.
It just depended on who we saw that day. There was always a lack of communication at the appointments on what they were needing to be checking again. Then I would log onto the portal and nothing was there or anything. It was lazy and not caring.
Don't go honestly. I wish I was told this before we did. 1.) Lack of a true plan or understanding of why we were doing things 2.) Felt like a number and that they just wanted our money 3.) Didn't care about us or try to make a caring connection
Over the top! It was so expensive and a waste for us. Crazy how you can spend so much for no results. If I did that at work I wouldn't get paid or I would be fired.
She never spoke with us or suggested anything.
Everything. It was a total waste and they never tried to figure out me and why I am have these problems. Very disappointing.
Treated 2017 - 2018
I overall didn't have a good experience here [Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine]. She [Dr. Marsh] did end up diagnosing me with Chronic Endometritis after my 3rd miscarriage. But I no longer felt comfortable moving forward with her and future pregnancies as I didn't feel she cared about me or my success...Don't see her if you have Recurrent Loss. She may be good for other conditions but the care/compassion isn't there for those who suffer from that...She discharged me at 7 weeks even though I had never made it to 8 weeks and my HCG was low. Just 3 days later I started miscarrying. When I tried to call to get an appt with her the soonest she would see me was 1-2 months later and ultimately she ended up agreeing to do a phone call instead. After
For Recurrent Loss I do not recommend her. After 3 losses she immediately recommended Surrogacy even though no tests had come back to prove that I couldn't carry a child. After my 3rd loss under her care she wouldn't even take the time to see me for 1-2 months which was upsetting. I was finally able to get her to agree to a phone call. No compassion. I felt like she just didn't want to waste her time and possibly IVF success rate on me and maybe that's why she went straight to surrogacy. I'm still baffled by that. I ended up having success with IVF at another clinic in Kansas City.
She didn't seem to care about me. While under Dr. Marsh's care I got pregnant for a 3rd time naturally after 2 prior miscarriages. She discharged me at 7 weeks even though I had never made it to 8 weeks and my HCG was low. Just 3 days later I started miscarrying. When I tried to call to get an appt with her the soonest she would see me was 1-2 months later and ultimately she ended up agreeing to do a phone call instead. After 3 losses I asked her about IVF and she immediately recommended Surrogacy (I was so shocked I had to ask her again) even though nothing had shown I couldn't carry a child myself. Between discharging me before 8 weeks and recommending surrogacy I stopped seeing her as I could tell she didn't care about helping me. Thank goodness I found another clinic b/c I am now 20 weeks pregnant via IVF and I'm carrying my own child! While she may be good for other conditions I do not recommend going to her if your issue is Recurrent loss as she doesn't seem to care to help.
I got pregnant naturally for the 3rd time while under her care. She did an initial hcg check which was good. She also had me taking vaginal progesterone suppositories. I was wearing the Ava Bracelet and noticed my bbt was decreasing (same as my other 2 pregnancies). So she had me come in again to test hcg but now I was no longer doubling, my numbers were low but still slightly rising, and my progesterone was decreasing. At 6wk1day she had me come in to make sure it wasn't ectopic and to everyone's surprise there was a little embryo with a good heart beat. I asked if I should increase my progesterone and she said "no". She told me to come back 1 week later and by that appt the embryo was now measuring 4 days behind but the heart rate was higher. She then proceeded to discharge me to my standard OBGYN and said every thing should be fine. Even though I felt deep down between the low hcg, and dropping progesterone everything was not fine and she knew better but just didn't want to deal with it. Plus I had never made it to 8 weeks. Well sure enough 3 days later I start to miscarry.
I overall didn't have a good experience here. She did end up diagnosing me with Chronic Endometritis after my 3rd miscarriage. But I no longer felt comfortable moving forward with her and future pregnancies as I didn't feel she cared about me or my success.