9.8

Santa Monica
1260 15th St
Santa Monica, CA 90404
323.410.1291

Dr. Brower has made us feel safe...upfront and direct with us while also being incredibly kind and personable. We like her so much that we followed her to the new clinic [Kindbody]...our first egg retrieval and embryo making cycle came back different than what she expected she advised my husband to do a DNA fragmentation test...called us personally when she gets results and it is always when she says she will or sooner...has been at all of my appointments, except one...
Having KindBody as our clinic brightens my mood a little bit when we go in because of the people and the space they have created...transparent about all of their pricing and information is very easy to find on their website...I love my patient portal- It has all of my information from past appointments and tests as well as instructional videos for injections and a timeline of my journey...[nurse is] available to us over email and WhatApp and responds quickly.
How was your experience with Meredith Brower at Kindbody Los Angeles?
I answered a lot of this in the first question, as I did not know what other questions there would be, but I will write more. Dr. Brower has been amazing! She is very compassionate towards our situation and makes sure to give us all of our options. When we went in for our first appointment with her, based on our test results, we thought IUI would work. After the IUI did not work (it was our first time with Brower and our fourth time overall) with more tests it became apparent that my husband's sperm are not the best quality; we decided to move forward with IVF. Although some unexpected things have occurred with our first egg retrieval and ICSI (only 1 embryo survived of 8) she has given us all the information she has and what all of our options are. She has called us personally when she gets results and it is always when she says she will or sooner. She has allowed us to talk things through and decide what we want to do with her guidance and not with pressure. Brower has been at all of my appointments, except one, due to Covid-19 and having a limited number of people in the office (the office is now closed, but this was when it was just starting to pick up). Even if I was just getting blood drawn she'd make sure to pop in and say hello. She is also very into the education of a women's body and participates in panels to help educate on fertility/infertility, which I think is awesome! I'd say her strengths are making sure to cover all options, depending on the patients, and being personable- following up with results when she says she will. We can't say what her weaknesses are at the moment, as we have not found any, but I do wish she would have talked to us more about doing more extensive tests on my husband before we did our first egg retrieval/ ICSI- although the tests from his urologist specialist did not make it completely apparent that we needed to do this, so I don't blame Dr. Brower. We really lucked out with finding her and we can't say enough good things on how she has been with us on this journey of trying to start a family.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Meredith Brower at Kindbody Los Angeles?
Don't be afraid to ask any and all questions. Brower is honest and will answer all of your questions to the best of her ability. Also to ask her for recommendations on nutrients, acupuncturist, and therapist as she works along side with all of them and has a handful of people she'd recommend.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Meredith Brower at Kindbody Los Angeles?
I feel like a human because; From the moment we met Dr. Brower we knew she was the doctor for us. She was very thorough with her process and how she would work with us based on our past tests and results. She made room for us to discuss what our thoughts were and answered all of our questions and made herself available to us. We had seen two other doctors before Brower and I won't say much, but the first one I left the office crying. Dr. Brower has made us feel safe and has been very upfront and direct with us while also being incredibly kind and personable. We like her so much that we followed her to the new clinic she transferred to after we'd only met with her twice (she was at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California in Santa Monica and left late 2019 to be the primary Doctor for KindBody's new location in Santa Monica, CA). We have not been able to complete a transfer due to Covid-19 and will have to do another egg retrieval when we can start the process again. There are a couple things that have been abnormal through our first egg retrieval process and have not turned out how Dr. Brower has expected. She has guided us on more tests for my husband to do and also what other processes we may need to ender to have a successful amount of embryo continue to grow after day 5 (we went from have 8 embryo to only having 1 after day 5). The entire staff at KindBody, Santa Monica, CA, has been amazing. We have a nurse that is also always available to us and the front desk women get back to us in minutes if I have a question. They have also worked with us on making payments. Even after not so great results with our first egg retrieval Dr. Brower has given us next steps and back our hope of becoming parents.
Describe the protocols Meredith Brower used in your cycles at Kindbody Los Angeles and their degree of success.
I am not sure of the exact naming of the protocol but I was originally going to start my first egg retrieval cycle with taking birth control starting on day 3 of my period for about 10 days then going in for a blood test and ultrasound. If everything look right and my blood test came back good I'd return in 3 days for the same thing and then start my injections. Unfortunately my body did not respond to the BC (I had already started to produce a cyst on my follicle) so I had to stop and wait until my next period cycle. Once I started my period again Brower had me come in on day 2 and if the ultrasound and blood test came back good I would start the injections that night. I was able to start injections in the PM of day 2 of that period (Gonal F - 300 units Menopur - 150 units). I started my injections on 3/11 and had an egg retrieval on 3/21. During that time I went in every other day for blood tests and an ultrasound until 3/18 and then I went in every day until my retrieval on 3/21. I continued with the Gonal F and Menopur until 3/18 and added in the Cetrotide, 1 kit in the AM, 3/14-3/19. I took my trigger medication, Novarel 2500/Lupron Trigger on 3/19 at 9pm, went in for a blood test on 3/20, and my egg retrieval was 3/21, in the morning. The treatment strategy was to try and sync the growth of my follicles and to get the most good mature eggs (and not have the follicles get too big) . I usually have 18-20 follicles showing during ultrasounds before and during medication. My left side ended up under producing more than she thought, and my right side was pretty good. I had 17 eggs retrieved, 11 were mature and 8 became embryos. Of that 8 only one survived after day 5, and came back good from genetic testing. Because my body and uterus/lining seem to be in amazing condition Dr. Brower is hopeful that the one embryo will transfer and become a pregnancy, however she can't make promises and has been very honest about that. Because we want two children I told her we thought we should do another cycle before trying the transfer because I will be 35 this year and it will be better now for egg quality than in the future; she agreed. Because of our first egg retrieval and embryo making cycle came back different than what she expected she advised my husband to do a DNA fragmentation test and then see what we can do and what our options are after we get the test results. She also explained that because of my egg reserve test results (my AMH is 3.24 and AFC is usually 18-20) and age it would be abnormal for it to be all egg quality (as you know there is no way to test of egg quality) so we need to wait for my husbands results before we move forward with another egg retrieval and embryo making cycle. We also found out my husband has a varicose vein in one of his testicles which could be leading to poor sperm quality so depending on his DNA fragmentation test an option could be to remove the sperm directly from the testicles before doing another cycle/ICSI. We hope to get some answers from the test he did soon so we can figure out next steps, what our options are, and put some plans into action, although we are seeing now that plans do not go as they seem they will. For my next egg retrieval cycle, we hope we are able to start in June if everything reopens for medical fertility procedures, Brower is going to try another protocol to see if she can get my follicles to sync up better. I will prep during May to synchronize my follicles with Estrogen patches prior to my June period. I will go into the office 1 week after my ovulation in May for blood test. Once my bloodwork confirms ovulation I will start an Estrogen patch and change it every 3 days until my June period. On Day 2 or 3 of my June period I will have an office appointment with a blood test and ultrasound and if it looks good I will start my Injections that night.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kindbody Los Angeles. (Assigned nurse: Ann)
Ann is amazing as well! She is very compassionate and truly cares about us and our journey. She respects all of our feelings and is very organized and gets all the information to us in a timely manner when she says she will. We meet with her after all major appointments and she goes over all protocols and details and answers all of our questions. She follows up after my appointments in an email with all of our information again. She is also available to us over email and WhatApp and responds quickly.
Describe your experience with Kindbody Los Angeles.
KindBody is amazing (I am using that word a lot)!! They are a new kind of fertility clinic and I can't say enough good things about them. They allow women to go in at any point of their life to find out about their body/fertility and get information. They are very transparent about all of their pricing and information is very easy to find on their website. As a patient I love my patient portal- It has all of my information from past appointments and tests as well as instructional videos for injections and a timeline of my journey. The clinic also offers additional services like yearly check ups, nutritionists, therapists, and acupuncturists. Before Covid-19 the clinic would offer free fertility panels to go to, now they have switched it to online zoom calls and have been able to add more speakers. I love the community they are helping to build and the resources/information they are sharing for free. The office is super chic and very clean and bright. There are motivational quotes on the walls and the staff is very friendly (some of the staff also followed Dr. Brower when she moved to this clinic). The past few weeks have been rough for us with our embryo results, it's a lot of money and we have to do it again and hope that it is possible for us. Having KindBody as our clinic brightens my mood a little bit when we go in because of the people and the space they have created. They also take insurance, however our insurance does not cover infertility treatments or testing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meredith Brower at Kindbody Los Angeles.
You can also find this and other procedure prices on their website. An egg retrieval cycle with transfer is $12,500 and with genetic testing it is $17000, which is what we did (genetic testing is up to 8 embryo for $4500). If you have 2 cycles of egg retrieval instead of $25,000 they discount it to $20,000, and with genetic testing it is a total of $29,000. Which is what we will end up paying. The medications are $4,000-6,000 each cycle. For me the first cycle, without transfer medications has been about $5,000 or a little more. I will have to see what the cost of transfer medications are however I expect them to be $500-$1,000 since I was told the range for all medications is usually $4,000-$5,000. DNA fragmentation test runs $275-$500, we have not received the bill yet. If my husband has to have sperm removed directly from the testicles it looks like that is $3000-$12,000; from what we have looked up on the web (Doctor Brower would not do this producer).
Describe Meredith Brower's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kindbody Los Angeles.
Dr. Brower explained that this depends on the patient and situation. For us, since my uterus and lining look great, she advised the eSET (and right now that is all we have- hopefully we will get more after the next cycle). She explained how there are more risks for twins if more than 1 egg should attach after transfer. She prefers patients not to go with multiple embryo transfer if the uterus and lining are good and there are no other concerns, however if someone wants to have twins she will talk to them about that. We feel comfortable with her recommending eSET for us and selecting the best embryo if we get more out of our next cycle.

2021, Consult
She [Dr. Brower] has excellent bedside manor, talks to you like a human (not a number), takes all of your history and testing into consideration, and is very honest and clear with her diagnosis and treatment plan. She takes time to explain everything, answer all questions, and never rushes you...Be prepared with all of your medical history - everything matters and she will review it all. Also, be prepared to work with other doctors in the clinic as they all work together to accommodate their patients. We were told that, while Dr. Brower is our primary RE, she works as a team with her other doctors and we may work with other doctors during the process....
Kindbody is great about providing prices upfront....I wasn't told to take any painkillers before my saline ultrasound, and it was an incredibly painful procedure...Century City location is in a mall, which has pros and cons. The office itself is beautiful and warm. But parking can be confusing, and walking in and out of a mall for medical procedures is a little strange, but it is also a nice distraction. Just something to consider as a new patient if you are considering KindBody....
How was your experience with Meredith Brower at Kindbody Los Angeles?
As a patient, I felt extremely comfortable with Dr. Brower. She has excellent bedside manor, talks to you like a human (not a number), takes all of your history and testing into consideration, and is very honest and clear with her diagnosis and treatment plan. She takes time to explain everything, answer all questions, and never rushes you.
Dr. Brower was very warm and kind. We met with her both virtually and in person and her demeanor was always friendly. She took the time to get to know us and answer all of our questions, and we never felt rushed. That was very important to me as my husband and I want to make sure we had all of the answers to our questions. She was also very honest with us about our chances with IUI vs IVF vs spontaneous pregnancy, considering my test results and medical history.
I went through all of the testing and was scheduled to begin IVF in July 2021, but ended up getting spontaneously pregnant the month before starting IVF treatment (unfortunately, it ended in a miscarriage). That said, Dr. Brower recommended IVF over IUI due to our ages, my medical history, and the fact that we had been TTC for over 3 years with no results. She did not push for genetic testing because I was 33 at the time, and she explained that genetic testing is recommended for women over 35 as that is when the risks of genetic issues become much higher. She also recommended progesterone as I have symptoms that are indicitive of low progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kindbody Los Angeles. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Glatz)
I worked with many staff members at Kindbody, but primarily worked with Mccrae Medina as my care coodinator and Michelle Glatz as my primary RN. I only spoke with them via messaging in the Kindbody portal, so my review is based only on written communication, never verbally (over the phone) or in person. Both Mccrae and Michelle were kind, warm, attentive, and helpful. Michelle was very proactive in reaching out to me with information on the necessary medications and processes, including the estrogen priming phase, which I was unaware of before I started speaking to Michelle. She was very detailed in her information and always willing to answer my questions.
Describe your experience with Kindbody Los Angeles.
Overall, Kindbody is an incredible clinic. Everyone, from the front desk staff to the nurses, to the phlebotomist, to the doctors, is incredibly kind, professional, and helpful. For example, my husband doesn't do well getting his blood drawn. We told this to the phlebotomist when he had to get his panel, and she immediately took him into an exam room, made him comfortable, and distracted him while she drew his blood. She was so kind, funny, and thoughtful. The nurses and front desk staff are all very warm and accomodating. My only criticism is that I wish I had had more information about my saline ultrasound. I've had numerous vaginal ultrasounds but this was my first saline ultrasound. When I went in, the nurse asked me if I took motrin beforehand. No one told me to, so I said no. Then I got worried about the pain. And I had a right to be worried. Getting the tube into my cervix was incredibly painful to the point that I had to ask them to stop and let me breathe. I found out that my uterus was tilted so they were having a tough time inserting the tube, but some painkillers would have been nice. Also, the Kindbody Century City location is in a mall, which has pros and cons. The office itself is beautiful and warm. But parking can be confusing, and walking in and out of a mall for medical procedures is a little strange, but it is also a nice distraction. Just something to consider as a new patient if you are considering KindBody.
Kindbody is great about providing prices upfront. My initial virtual consultation was $150, I think follow up appointments with Dr. Brower were $200-300. The entire IVF procedure (not including medications) is $12,500-13,500. If you want to do genetic testing, it is another $4,000. Medication can range from $3,000 to $6,000.
Dr. Brower recommended to single embryo transfer, and provided two reasons: 1) the success rate of implantation is very high for a single embryo (she provided a percentage but I don't recall what it was) and 2) because of the high success rate there is a very high chance that multiple embryo transfer would result in twins. A twin pregnancy is considered high risk, so for that reason they recommend against it.
What specific things went wrong at Kindbody Los Angeles?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kindbody Los Angeles.
I wasn't told to take any painkillers before my saline ultrasound, and it was an incredibly painful procedure. Upon entering the exam room, the nurse asked if I had taken ibuprofen. I said no, no one told me to. She said it was ok, but then I was worried about it being painful, and it was. I wish the clinic had told me what to expect or at least advised me to take painkillers beforehand.

2020, 2 Eggs Frozen
Wasn't able to see her at every visit (my issue, not hers, because I had to come super-early for work) and she [Dr. Brower] called me every afternoon to talk about results. Was wonderful about being to able to both make her own recommendations on how I should proceed but also give me the space to make my own decisions. So warm and reassuring during ER process (my first time getting any kind of procedure)
[Kindbody has a] Beautiful office. Nice online setup with teaching, education, ways to monitor meds and progress. Easy to communicate with staff and make appointments. Everyone is super-professional and friendly. payment easy to figure out and prices are clear...$6500 procedure + approximately $4000 meds..
How was your experience with Meredith Brower at Kindbody Los Angeles?
Wasn't able to see her at every visit (my issue, not hers, because I had to come super-early for work) and she called me every afternoon to talk about results. Was wonderful about being to able to both make her own recommendations on how I should proceed but also give me the space to make my own decisions. So warm and reassuring during ER process (my first time getting any kind of procedure). Staff is also so organized and professional; communication was top-notch. Ann, her nurse, is amazing. Felt very well cared for. Oh and office is beautiful.
Go see her for a consultation at the very least. Is both very honest and doesn't give false hope, but also warm and open. A great combo.
She is such a warm, lovely person who makes you feel like you have all the time in the world to ask as many questions. Also very emotionally in-tune to what's going on with her patients.
lupron gonal-f menopur hcg trigger
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kindbody Los Angeles. (Assigned nurse: Ann )
Incredibly organized, knowledgeable, kind, and professional. Loved working with her. Never ever felt chaotic (unlike other fertility offices).
$6500 procedure + approximately $4000 meds