Genetic counseling is not offered: Not Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
9850 Genesee Ave
La Jola, CA 92037
(858) 558.2221
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend La Jolla IVF to a friend?

1 doctor
2016 - 2019
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Because the office [La Jolla IVF] is small, there is only one doctor ... nurses and the front-of-house organization team is beyond the best. ... Strengths: if you're looking for high-quality care in a clean, friendly, intimate setting with the resources of a world-class hospital, go here. ... If you believe you, your wife, partner or spouse would respond better to the care and oversight of a female physician, you should look elsewhere.
2016 - 2019
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with La Jolla IVF.
Strengths: if you're looking for high-quality care in a clean, friendly, intimate setting with the resources of a world-class hospital, go here. The doctor is a talented physician. And you could not ask for more empathetic or friendly nurses to help you through the process. Weaknesses: it's difficult to say as this was the only clinic we used, so we have no basis for comparison. Our frustrations had more to do with being unaccustomed to the difficulties we would face trying to conceive. Things like bad PGS results, etc. None of which were the doctor or clinic's fault. Because the office is small, there is only one doctor and he is not a female doctor. If you believe you, your wife, partner or spouse would respond better to the care and oversight of a female physician, you should look elsewhere.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Smotrich at La Jolla IVF?
The doctor genuinely cared about our results and experience. As we started to encounter difficulties ... in responses to medications, with diminished egg quality ... he shared and empathized with our setbacks. He also consistently followed up with my wife before, during and after retrievals.
Describe your experience with your nurse at La Jolla IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amy Williams)
His nurses and the front-of-house organization team is beyond the best. If I could rate 11s, I would.
How was your experience with David Smotrich at La Jolla IVF?
First and foremost - an excellent doctor versed in the latest procedural and scientific details. We know this because, as we encountered difficulties with my wife's PCOS, the secondary opinion we received 100% backed up his analysis and approach. He is straight-forward, friendly, dedicated and communicative.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Smotrich at La Jolla IVF?
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Describe the protocols David Smotrich used in your cycles at La Jolla IVF and their degree of success.
Lower-dose gonadotropin regimen with 'coasting', due to my wife's sensitivity to drugs. With her PCOS, she almost over-stimulated very quickly during our first retrieval. Dr. described my wife as 'lowest dose' he's ever prescribed. The coasting allowed for improved egg quality by our third retrieval, evidenced in higher Day 5 embryo PGS.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Smotrich at La Jolla IVF.
Describe David Smotrich's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at La Jolla IVF.
Single embryo transfer because of my wife's physical size, age and PCOS.
La Jolla

Costs were clearly broken down and were comparable to other clinics. ... When I asked for receipts for credit card charges they [La Jolla IVF] produced them immediately. ... Lupe [nurse] and the rest of the staff were all very helpful and very organized. All appointments went smoothly. I appreciate that when I called she always called me back to answer my questions. The staff was very helpful with training me on all the injections.
Describe your experience with La Jolla IVF.
I think I've covered it. Strengths: organized, everything runs smoothly from the patient perspective, you don't feel like a number, Dr. is very detailed and writes everything down to ensure the patient understands. Weaknesses: I haven't identified anything yet.
Dr. Smotrich, greets both my husband and I by name. Each time we meet he discusses specific details relating to my case and my past experiences. As a result, I feel confident that he is treating me specifically and not a number; as a result, I haven't had to self advocate. Although he is personable and kind, I appreciate that he gets right to the point but leaves me time to ask questions and I never feel rushed. He is also very encouraging which helps during my 1st IVF cycle as I'm not sure what to expect.
Describe your experience with your nurse at La Jolla IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lupe)
Lupe and the rest of the staff were all very helpful and very organized. All appointments went smoothly. I appreciate that when I called she always called me back to answer my questions. The staff was very helpful with training me on all the injections. When I asked for receipts for credit card charges they produced them immediately.
How was your experience with David Smotrich at La Jolla IVF?
I'm in my first IVF stimulation cycle, about to undergo egg retrieval. I've had a very positive experience to-date. Dr. Smotrich is very confident in his methods and I can see why as I'm having success with my 1st stim protocol. I appreciate that when I ask questions, about how things could go wrong, he redirects me and assures me that in my case such issues are not expected. He is very clear, concise, and easy to understand. I really like his approach during the appointments as he writes everything down at each visit and then goes over it with me in detail to ensure I understand. The detail has helped relieve my anxiety about next steps and expectations. I'm grateful for his knowledge, experience, patience and encouragement.
Ask questions as he is will take his time to answer them for you.
I'm 38y with low AMH. My protocol consisted of Menopur, Gonal-F, and Ganirelix. On day 11, I produced 15 follicles 19-20mm- success.
Costs were clearly broken down and were comparable to other clinics.
He leans toward multiple embryo transfer (2) due to the higher success rates due to my age.
La Jolla

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with David Smotrich at La Jolla IVF.

The cost for an iui alone [at La Jolla IVF] was 1300, the gonal f was a few hundred dollars. They had a pharmacy in the same building...The Clinic was very clean and very organized. The wait time varies. I waited for 5 minutes on some visits and the. Maybe 20 minutes for other visits. They try and get you in and out as quickly as possible...The nurses were the best thing about the clinic. One nurse went above and beyond with the patients. They talk to you like a friend
Describe your experience with La Jolla IVF.
Dr would be in a rush to see other patients so he would cut you off when you tried to talk
How was your experience with David Smotrich at La Jolla IVF?
He had a plan and stuck to it. Every failed iui he would say the next one will be it. Then after so many failed IUI’s he said we need to do ivf but we don’t have the funds to do that. He was clear about the process of IUI’s. He had trouble with the vaginal ultrasound machine. It was painful because he would jerk it around a lot because he could see what he needed to see. Eventually he’d tell the nurse to close the blinds so he could see better. After I was in pain.
They are expensive and money comes first to them. But they are good at their job.
I don’t remember the dosages. He has put me on progesterone and estrace, gonal f, and chlomid. Non resulted in pregnancy.
The cost for an iui alone was 1300, the gonal f was a few hundred dollars. They had a pharmacy in the same building.
Dr had a strong preference that I stop iui and go to ivf.