Laurel Fertility Care

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
Fresno
Modesto, CA 95350
1700 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94109
415-673-9199
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Laurel Fertility Care to a friend?
2 doctors
2 IVF, Surrogacy
THE BEST!!! My questions were always promptly and accurately answered. communication between all was great.... We were very pleased with the staff [Laurel Fertility Care]. There was never any confusion relaying messages when I called the clinic for information. The entire staff was always helpful and courteous to us. We were out of state, and when we finally met everyone at the clinic, it was very comfortable and anxiety free feeling.
2 IVF, Surrogacy
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
Give Laurel Fertility a chance to help you in your journey. We were very pleased with the staff. There was never any confusion relaying messages when I called the clinic for information. The entire staff was always helpful and courteous to us. We were out of state, and when we finally met everyone at the clinic, it was very comfortable and anxiety free feeling.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
All the phone conversations we had with Dr. Smikle from the beginning gave us hope we can fulfill our dream. His voice was soft spoken and he made us feel very comfortable. Dr. Smikle was very knowledgeable in all aspects of fertility, answering all questions, and spent all the time with us we needed. We knew we were in the right clinic from the very beginning.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Laurel Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Francesca Perrone RN)
THE BEST!!! My questions were always promptly and accurately answered. communication between all was great. E-mails always answered by end of the day. everyone is most polite and helpful.
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
Dr. Smikle is a very caring doctor, we find him to be very compassionate and understanding. Our situation was very unique, and Dr. Smikle agreed to take on our case. Dr. Smikle made our dream come true, using a gestational surrogate we have achieved a pregnancy. Dr. Smikle was with us every step of the way, there was never another doctor involved in the care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
I would advise a prospective patient to stay with Dr. Smikle, he's thorough, and willing to change treatment plans as necessary. Very important this doctor will LISTEN to all your concerns! He will try everything possible to help attain your goal of bringing a baby into your life.
Describe the protocols Collin Smikle used in your cycles at Laurel Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I can't say specifically the protocols used, but I will say plans and treatments were altered as necessary. Dr. Smikle did not give up... we are expecting our miracle baby in Nov. 2018!!!!!
Describe Collin Smikle's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Laurel Fertility Care.
Yes we were fully informed when we needed to make a decision on the number of embryos to transfer, we all were in agreement to transfer one embryo. We did PGS on our embryos before any transfer was done.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Laurel Fertility is a warm practice and everyone was very nice and welcoming. I think if there was something I’d change in my experience, is to set realistic expectations.... I just wish that someone told me that if might not work the first or second time around, that IVF sometimes take more than once or twice until it works.... [Monitoring Appointments] It was an efficient, well-oiled operation.... I was lucky that majority of the cost was covered by my insurance.
East Asian, South Asian
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
Laurel Fertility is a warm practice and everyone was very nice and welcoming. I think if there was something I’d change in my experience, is to set realistic expectations. In my situation, I was given much more positive information and feedback in the beginning because I had gotten pregnant naturally without medical intervention and based off of my initial blood work, I can understand why Dr. Ekpo felt more positively about my potential to have a successful IVF procedure. I just wish that someone told me that if might not work the first or second time around, that IVF sometimes take more than once or twice until it works.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Geraldine Ekpo at Laurel Fertility Care?
Despite the unfavorable results of my egg retrievals, she really tried to be accessible for any questions or concerns I had. She really does care about her patients despite the outcome.
The nursing staff was excellent. They answered any questions I had and made sure I knew how to use the injectables and was comfortable administering them on myself.
How was your experience with Geraldine Ekpo at Laurel Fertility Care?
Dr. Ekpo was very thoughtful, considerate and supportive through my IVF procedures. She was very hands on with me. I would encourage others to work with her even though my two egg retrievals were unsuccessful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Geraldine Ekpo at Laurel Fertility Care?
Ask as many questions as possible, to ensure you are comfortable with everything.
Describe the protocols Geraldine Ekpo used in your cycles at Laurel Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I don’t remember the exact dosages I took but I I remember using injectable hormones - Menopur, Pregnyl, Gonal F and Ganirelix.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Laurel Fertility Care.
It was an efficient, well-oiled operation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Geraldine Ekpo at Laurel Fertility Care.
I was lucky that majority of the cost was covered by my insurance.
Describe Geraldine Ekpo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Laurel Fertility Care.
Dr. Ekpo was comfortable with transferring up to 2 to 3 embryos because of my age.
PCOS, Other
The office [Laurel Fertility Care] is small and outdated, the exam rooms could barely fit me and my husband in it together making us feel cramped and uncomfortable.... $490 PER ULTRASOUND! And during all my cycles with Dr. Ekpo, I needed 4-6 ultrasounds before the IUI.... Nurses were lovely and kind people. I had a couple issues with them not updating my calendar in a way that worked for me, but otherwise they returned calls, answered questions, and were very pleasant to be around.
PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
The office is small and outdated, the exam rooms could barely fit me and my husband in it together making us feel cramped and uncomfortable. And while this isn't the clinics fault, the building was under massive construction which made parking impossible and getting into the building a real pain.
Dr Ekpo was kind and I didn't have an issue with her personality or her demeanor during our visits. I do feel that she mismanaged my expectations and given what I know now, there is no way she was ever going to get me pregnant so it really feels like it was more of a cash grab, preying on my desire to have a child, while not addressing the reality that my lining was not even close to thick enough to move forward with the IUI's she performed on me. It gave me a lot of false hope without addressing diagnostic issues that they completely skipped over.
How was your experience with Geraldine Ekpo at Laurel Fertility Care?
At first I really liked Dr. Ekpo. She was blunt but kind, and seemed knowledgeable about the the entire fertility field. My ultimate dislike and distrust came after my 2nd and 3rd IUI with Laurel Fertility. One thing off the bat, the online calendar and app is just terrible. Very difficult to access and with all the medications and timing needs, this was frustrating. My first cycle they measured my lining at around 3.5 mm, but still went forward with the IUI. At the time, I just put my blind trust in the doctors and figured they would do what they thought would be most successful-NOT TRUE. Any other Dr. will tell you that you want your lining to get to 8mm to have a decent shot at pregnancy, and I wasn't even halfway there. I feel it was morally irresponsible for them to perform 3 IUI's on me when my lining was less than 5 each time. Also, my cycles required LOTS of monitoring ultrasound appts, and at $490 per appt, this became ridiculously expensive. These utlrasound appts were 5-10 minutes, for $490!!! insane. They didn't make any attempts to get my insurance to cover it as a diagnostic tool, so I had to pay out of pocket for everything. Dr. Ekpo also straight up lied to me about a certain procedure which is what ultimately makes me feel I would NEVER recommend anyone go there. She told me there was no way to do a HSG dye test in the same cycle as an IUI, and it just isn't true. Many other doctors do this and I believe the only reason she told me I couldn't was to get more money and more visits out of me.
Do your research and don't go with a private clinic because you think you'll receive better care, it just isn't true.
Each IUI cycle I was on Letrazole, with lots of monitoring ultrasounds to see how my follicles and uterine lining were developing. The first two were about the same-letrazole, trigger shot, IUI. The third one they added estrogen injections mid cycle to try and boost my lining since I never got past 4mm with previous two cycles, then another trigger shot and another failed IUI. I wasn't given any other alternatives except for IVF which they began pushing on me after the first failed IUI.
$490 PER ULTRASOUND! And during all my cycles with Dr. Ekpo, I needed 4-6 ultrasounds before the IUI. It was absurdly expensive. Around 2k for the actual IUI, and several hundred dollars for medications. My bloodwork was covered by insurance.
San Francisco
As a new patient [at Laurel Fertility Care] I was very comfortable they made me feel like things will be okay and they understood my issues and concerns. The one thing that i feel was a strengths that I saw was that the staff in the office was understandable 99.9 women who came in the office was either on hormone shots which lead to moodiness, bloatedness and, quite honestly either you was upset or crying and the staff handle everyone with great care. .
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
As a new patient I was very comfortable they made me feel like things will be okay and they understood my issues and concerns. The one thing that i feel was a strengths that I saw was that the staff in the office was understandable 99.9 women who came in the office was either on hormone shots which lead to moodiness, bloatedness and, quite honestly either you was upset or crying and the staff handle everyone with great care. .
She was very Patient with me Through the whole process. She explained everything that was going to happen and also she listened. Being on the meds made me very emotional.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Laurel Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Donna Dame)
My nurse was the perfect fit for me going through this whole process. She was my go to person. My nurse is the person who help and walk me through make sure all your blood test and ultrasound appointments were done. She work around my schedule to make thing convenient for me. A few time I came in before the clinic open. She was my first port of call if anything when wrong while I was undergoing treatment as far as like breaking a vial of medicine, or having unusual pain when I shouldn’t. She offer solace and advice when unusual things happen during the treatment process.
How was your experience with Geraldine Ekpo at Laurel Fertility Care?
She was great and very patient. The one thing I was very pleased with her was on the medications. She explained to me that they will make me a little bit emotional. She was so correct, I came into the office a few times crying She comfort me told me not to worry it was just the medication. She also talk to my husband and explain to him the whole process for more understanding which was great I really appreciated that
You always wanna Doctor Who is willing to explain the process , this process can be very emotional and she’s the type of doctor that shows true compassion in her job.
Pregnyl 10,000 IU Follistim AD 600 IU- Leuprolide Progesterone in sesame oil 50 mg
around 9,000.00
San Francisco
I have only positive things to say about Natalie [nurse at Laurel Fertility Care]. She's extremely knowledgeable, likeable, thorough, understandable, and organized. I really cannot imagine anyone better at this job than Natalie...Strengths: Everything runs on time and smoothly. Everyone is extremely friendly. Weaknesses: We think their patient info sheets outlining all of the steps of IVF, etc., and insurance/payment info could be improved to make things more clear. The eIVF app is absolutely terrible to use. Communication is very inefficient through the app because you can't keep a single conversation chain going. I'm constantly having to re-download the app because it is very buggy.
European, East Asian
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
The very first thing she asked me was "How are you feeling?" I have never had a doctor ask me that before. She also asks me things outside of my treatment questions. I like that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Laurel Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Natalie )
I have only positive things to say about Natalie. She's extremely knowledgeable, likeable, thorough, understandable, and organized. I really cannot imagine anyone better at this job than Natalie.
How was your experience with Geraldine Ekpo at Laurel Fertility Care?
Pros: Very thorough, knowledgeable, articulate, and has a good bedside manner. Explains concepts very well. I never feel rushed ever. She makes sure all of my questions are answered. Cons: In the very beginning, we felt a little in the dark about all of the steps in the process and the time everything would take, before we proactively asked.
There's a LOT of information when it comes to IVF. Do your research and ask lots of questions. Make sure to double check all matters pertaining to insurance yourself.
We paid $2k for PGS through a 3rd party provider and just a few hundred dollars for medications not covered fully by insurance. Other than this, all costs were covered by insurance.
San Francisco
The whole time, Dr. Smikle, Donna my nurse, and the rest of the staff [at Laurel Fertility] were always available to answer any questions, fill my prescriptions with the lowest cost possible options, and even give me a shot or 2 when I was initially scared to do it myself. In short, I felt like they treated my like they would a good friend...not just a patient.... Strengths: Personalization. Communication. Staff. Doctors. You definitely never feel like you are just a number and you never feel rushed. They always make you feel special and listened to.
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
Strengths: Personalization. Communication. Staff. Doctors. You definitely never feel like you are just a number and you never feel rushed. They always make you feel special and listened to. Weaknesses: Having a doctor who travels between clinics can be hard, especially when you re scheduling a transfer or extraction. But I felt comfortable in everyone's hands and luckily Dr. Smikle was always able to be there for my procedures.
I was referred to Dr. Smikle by my OBGYN after an ultrasound revealed that I had endometriosis that was potentially affecting my fertility. My husband and I had been trying to conceive naturally for about a year with no luck and, while not quite desperate, we were definitely looking for a different and hopefully more successful approach. I actually remember how comforted I felt the first time Dr. Smikle shook my hand...I just knew I was in the right place. At my initial consultation, after the exam, he worked with me to outline a plan on how to proceed. I wasn't quite ready to try IVF, so we started with Chlomid and IUI, but with the knowledge that I would likely have to try IVF if we wanted to have more than one child. After 3 unsuccessful attempts with IUI, we decided to switch to IVF, which is an intimate, intricate and sometimes very difficult process. The whole time, Dr. Smikle, Donna my nurse, and the rest of the staff were always available to answer any questions, fill my prescriptions with the lowest cost possible options, and even give me a shot or 2 when I was initially scared to do it myself. In short, I felt like they treated my like they would a good friend...not just a patient. When the first round of IVF didn't work, I felt like everyone involved cared just as much as we did...and the thing I loved most was, after they comforted me, we all went straight back into planning mode. Dr. Smikle wanted to try something a little different, just so we didn't keep doing the same thing with the same result, and, when my second round of worked, I felt like the whole office was cheering for us. They even asked to see the ultrasound pictures...which I'm sure they have seen a million tiny gray "kidney beans" on a piece of paper...but when it's your "gray kidney bean" it's pretty special. In short, my experience at Laurel Fertility was exceptional..The service was incredibly personalized and professional and Dr. Smikle and the entire office staff were always available (on the first ring of the phone) to answer any questions I had...I look froward to going back for baby number 2!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Laurel Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Donna)
Donna was amazing. She was always available to answer questions and help with the medicine. I couldn't imagine trying this process without her.
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
Dr. Smikle is amazing. While he is clearly very intelligent, he also has a great bedside manner and explains things in a way that is easy for the layman to understand. When my treatment was done and I had to switch back to my regular OBGYN i was actually sad.
Come with a list of questions. He will take the time to answer all of them.
3 IUI - after 2 negative results he recommended we switch to IVF because he didn't think another IUI would be successful but I asked for one more since I already had enough medicine to move forward. 2 IVF... one with progesterone and estrogen injections and one without. After the first round didn't work, he suggested trying something different. We essentially "tricked" my body into thinking it got pregnant naturally. and it worked
Describe the costs associated with your care under Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care.
IUI medicines IVF medicines Ultrasound Appointments
San Francisco
I love all the doctors, nurses and front desk staff and lab people and everyone who works at Laurel Fertility Care. Laurel Fertility is SO organized, they never make me wait long, everyone there is friendly and wonderful. They call in prescriptions for you to your preferred pharmacy. I never had an issue with payment/insurance not going through...Donna and Natalie were the nurses who had to deal w/me the most. They are WONDERFUL. I cannot praise them enough.
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
Dr. Ekpo and all the nurses/staff who work there make you feel like you are their only patient.
Donna and Natalie were the nurses who had to deal w/me the most. They are WONDERFUL. I cannot praise them enough. Natalie was there during my egg retrieval which was suddenly unnecessarily scary for me, I was crying and she was so darn nice and cute and sweet and made me feel better.
How was your experience with Geraldine Ekpo at Laurel Fertility Care?
Dr Ekpo is so smart and gracious and beautiful, I can't recommend her enough. I never felt bullied or uncomfortable (which is how I felt with my first fertility doctor). Dr. Ekpo always went over my options with me and we made decisions together, she always made me feel comfortable/reassured. I never had to wait long to see her, she wouldn't rush me out and always spent an appropriate amount of time with me. She would see me on the weekend when necessary and give me a heads up on who would be her coverage if she was going to be away.
Go see her.
I have PCOS - irregular/no periods - I went through several unsuccessful cycles of IUI using Letrozole and Ovidrel. Then we added Gonal-F in with an increased dosage of Letrozole but it made too many follicles so we switched mid-cycle to IVF and I had to add more Gonal F and Ganirelix and HCG. Then I had my egg retrieval. Then I was on Estrace and Endometrin before my transfer through 8 weeks into my pregnancy then kept taking the Endometrin up until 10 weeks pregnant.
I only paid co-pays for my visits, everything else went through insurance.
I chose to transfer 1 embryo and she did not advise differently.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
The clinic [Laurel SF] is small but provides wonderful personalized care. I honestly can't think of any weaknesses; our experience was about as great as you can hope for during infertility treatments and the IVF process. We experienced several problems with the insurance company and received several rejections of legitimate claims. Dr. Ekpo worked with us to escalate the claim process and drafted a personal letter to the insurance company describing my diagnosis and the details of the treatment.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
The clinic is small but provides wonderful personalized care. I honestly can't think of any weaknesses; our experience was about as great as you can hope for during infertility treatments and the IVF process. We experienced several problems with the insurance company and received several rejections of legitimate claims. Dr. Ekpo worked with us to escalate the claim process and drafted a personal letter to the insurance company describing my diagnosis and the details of the treatment.
Dr. Ekpo handled all of my ultrasounds and follicle counts in-person at each session. She conducted all of my procedures, ran my analysis and kept me up-to-date with everything on a daily basis. We were in constant contact and I felt like an individual patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Laurel Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Donna )
I had a primary care nurse that took care of my medication and any questions. There were also nurses to support the blood draws and a specialized nurse for the retrieval and transfer. I only interacted with the embryologists after the retrieval and before the transfer. Laurel also has an EXCELLENT support staff of administrators that handle the billing and insurance issues.
How was your experience with Geraldine Ekpo at Laurel Fertility Care?
Dr. Ekpo performed all of my procedures, and we went through the process slow and steady, step-by-step together. She recommended a holistic and comprehensive treatment that involved supplements, dietary adjustments and acupuncture. Throughout the process, I felt like I was getting the best care possible.
She knows the science and latest research and you will be in good hands. She is straightforward, thorough, and comprehensive.
We went directly to IVF, due to my diagnosis and hormone levels. I was on a cocktail of Gonal F, Menopur and Lupron. I was also on a number of supplements plus estrogen followed by progesterone. And, there were some dietary restrictions and acupuncture recommendations.
I went in for monitoring according to my schedule and the process was quick and efficient. Dr. Ekpo handled all of my monitoring and ultrasounds, and we debriefed after each appointment. My meetings with Dr. Ekpo were followed with check-ins with the nurses about the protocol/medicines/etc. and then someone would call me with the blood test results. Everything was very well-organized.
I think the all-inclusive number was around 15K - but insurance ended up covering the majority of the cost.
Yes - Dr. Ekpo strongly recommended a single embryo transfer approach for my first transfer.
2 IUI, 4 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Things that went wrong [at Laurel Fertility Care] have been described in other areas of this review. In summary, lack of concern with major side affects from injections, failed calls with monitoring hormone levels, hyper stimulation, lack of compassion, and compromised medical data...Parking is costly in the clinics building. The front desk/lobby has no audio privacy, your conversations with the front desk staff is heard by everyone in the lobby. The ultrasound machine has been one of the best (clear imaging) from all clinics. The egg retrieval room doesn't feel like an operation room which is a positive but also concerned me if it was sterile. We did not see the embryology lab therefore cannot comment. The clinic is small, clean and in a nice SF building. The bathroom was equipped with feminine hygiene products (tampons, pads, wipes). I found this really nice after appointments for clean up.
2 IUI, 4 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
Felt like a human because of one nurse who was always happy to see us, responded to my inquires in a timely manner.
If they were unsure they'd quickly get an answer. They always greeted us with a smile, cared about our cycle and showed compassion with my OHSS symptoms and miscarriage.
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
Dr. Smikle had no bedside manner and didn't prepare for any appointment. Majority of the time we sat across his desk in silence as he reviewed and typed up our protocol. Very awkward. When I began to have major side affects to the growth hormone he didn't seem concerned. When I hyperstimulated he also wasn't too concerned even after I ended up in the emergency room. He was unapologetic when we miscarried. My biggest complaint is the lack of medical information protection we experienced at the clinic. At each appointment the ultrasound screen would show the last patient full name, date of birth and last image taken. They didn't sign out of the machine after each appointment. The front desk area had no privacy, everyone waiting for an appointment can here us verifying our names, date of birth, payment details, at some point I wrote down my social security number so that no one could here it. The positive was I got pregnant, the negative was the OHSS and miscarriage. The nurses were friendly but left the clinic shortly after our cycle ended. Overall it was an awkward cycle and experience.
Don't expect warm and fuzzy bed side manner. Keep records of all your payments. Demand medical data protection.
Estrogen primed Antagonist with growth hormone. I do terribly on birth control, Dr. Smikle agreed to work with my natural cycle which other clinics at the time wouldn't. Due to previous miscarriage he had had me on baby aspirin and a steroid as an anti-inflammatory. The growth hormone wasn't explained. The overall result was Pregnancy with hyperstimulation followed by a miscarriage. I was on medical leave for 3 months and it took 1 year to gain my health back. For a year we couldn't do IVF treatment which was super upsetting.
San Francisco
I felt like some nurses [at Laurel Fertility] were good (Meredith was great!) and some were not. Donna seemed inexperienced and often kind of casual about everything...This clinic seems disorganized and impersonal...Often had mix-ups with scheduling. no one had any good concrete information on BASIC questions like: how & when to order meds, how and where to transfer our frozen embryos for long-term storage, no one wakes us through all the legal paperwork, no one ever gave us injection classes, etc. things they must deal with ALL the time!
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
This clinic seems disorganized and impersonal.
I was given a treatment plan that seems very "standard"...not tailored specifically to me or my partner's unique situation.
I felt like some nurses were good (Meredith was great!) and some were not. Donna seemed inexperienced and often kind of casual about everything. it was all kind of hit or miss. Some were great at drawing blood, others were horrible. Some were kind and warm, others were not. I never really developed a relationship with any of them, which is kind of incredible given the emotional experience that IVF is.
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
He has a cold and clinical bedside manner. Very much an "I'm the Doctor and you're the patient, so just do what I say because I'm the expert." Needed to ask a lot of questions to get he information I wanted.
This is an emotional journey, if you're looking for reassurance, awarm caring doctor who seems personally invested in you and your spouse and your journey...he is NOT it.
I did a standard IVF cycle. Lupron, gonal F, etc. halfway through the stimulation phase they measured and saw I had 33 follicles growing. Though I was then at risk of developing OHsS, the protocol was not changed. I went on to harvest 44 eggs - and had extreme OHSS which cause us to freeze-all for that cycle. It took 6 weeks to recover and do a frozen transfer. I think, with more careful monitoring and and adjustment in my mess (reducing the amount) I could have avoided a lot of the suffering the OHSS caused.
We were covered by insurance. We had a $30 copay each visit
San Francisco
Dr. Ekpo. She and their nurse Donna [at Laurel Fertility] are the ones who took care of me. They are attentive and always listened to any of my concern/ questions. Mostly they get back at my phone calls and emails on the same day. They also have an online patient portal where you can communicate to them, see all your lab test results, instructions, documents, and messages from the staff. During our first consultation Dr. Ekpo took her time listening to my situation, laid out a plan and suggested HSG procedure, lab tests, and semen analysis. Luckily after HSG procedure I finally conceive . I Highly recommend them to anyone who wants to be treated with care and professionalism.
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
Wait time is minimal, clean environment, and professional staff. All of them are nice and treats you with care. Quiet and calm environment. They listen to your concerns/ questions and responds to you as soon as possible.
Dr. Ekpo took her time listening to my concerns and questions with care and professionalism.
Nurse Donna treated me with care and professionalism, she get back at my phone calls and email the same they, she is attentive and listens to any if my questions and concern.
How was your experience with Geraldine Ekpo at Laurel Fertility Care?
Dr. Ekpo. She and their nurse Donna are the ones who took care of me. They are attentive and always listened to any of my concern/ questions. Mostly they get back at my phone calls and emails on the same day. They also have an online patient portal where you can communicate to them, see all your lab test results, instructions, documents, and messages from the staff. During our first consultation Dr. Ekpo took her time listening to my situation, laid out a plan and suggested HSG procedure, lab tests, and semen analysis. Luckily after HSG procedure I finally conceive . I Highly recommend them to anyone who wants to be treated with care and professionalism. THANK YOU DR. EKPO, nurse Donna, and to LAUREL FERTILITY CLINIC modesto/ san francisco for all your help. Me and my husband appreciates everything you guys did for us
You will be treated with care
She recommended Hsg procedure, lab tests, semen analysis, the results were successful
2 IUI, IVF
Laurel is great, we never had to wait in the lobby, the team is very prompt and very respectful of appointment times. The billing is great since everything is electronic which makes it easy to submit to FSA, no scanning of receipts....[Nurse] Francesca Perrone was very kind, patient and extremely knowledgeable. She very patient and reassuring when teaching us how to do injections.... I believe I spent ~$6,500 out of pocket, which includes copays, vitamins, blood tests, fertility drugs, embryo freezing and a service to administer shots.
2 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
We were always treated with kindness and respect.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Laurel Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Francesca Perrone)
How was your experience with Geraldine Ekpo at Laurel Fertility Care?
My husband and I are so incredibly grateful we found Dr. Geraldine Ekpo and her team. Dr. Ekpo was extremely understanding, patient and up beat throughout a process that otherwise would have been very unpleasant. She always clearly explained every single procedure, listed to our concerns and questions as well as took our input and always made us feel as if we were part of the decision making process. Dr. Ekpo is very knowledgeable about IVF and genetic testing.
No advice, you will love her.
I did an IVF procedure with mine and my husbands day 5 embryos, we transferred 2 and now I am 10 weeks pregnant with 1 baby girl. I will continue to take endometrium and estradiol until the end of my 1st trimester.
I have medical insurance, that cover fertility treatment and drugs, however I believe I spent ~$6,500 out of pocket, which includes copays, vitamins, blood tests, fertility drugs, embryo freezing and a service to administer shots.
Doctor had a preference to transfer 1 embryo due to my age and family history of twins but allowed me to make the final decision. I transferred 2 embryos.
San Francisco
For the most part the main nurse was on top of things. She was able to explain the meds and coach us on the injections. She is typically very responsive via email. At times I think she can be a little curt in emails which is frustrating during a process like this. There were a few times she was not 100 percent clear about medication changes which was upsetting as well...It [Laurel Fertility Care] is very small which allows them to treat each patient as such rather than a number in a huge hospital. The staff remember you they are warm and compassionate which make the entire experience less stressful.
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
It is very small which allows them to treat each patient as such rather than a number in a huge hospital. The staff remember you they are warm and compassionate which make the entire experience less stressful.
she took the time to speak with us at every appointment. I was not passed off to a nurse. She remembered my partners name even though he wasn't at many of the early appointments. She was very kind and sincere about everything.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Laurel Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Francesca Perone)
How was your experience with Geraldine Ekpo at Laurel Fertility Care?
She was very warm from the first visit she was optimistic. She explained everything she always made herself available via phone or email. I cannot express enough how amazing she is. She felt more like a friend of the family then my doctor. Amazing bedside manner. If we have to go this route for the next baby I hope to use her again.
San Francisco
Billing [Laurel Fertility Care] is disorganized - you will need to keep on them. The nursing team is great but overwhelmed with patients, especially since Dr. Ekpo is on maternity leave. It is a small clinic so you'll have a personalized experience.... [Nurse] Personalized approach, sometimes confused on information.... $18,000 for IVF/PGS/ICSI/FET... Dr. Smikle is very clinical and direct. He tends to be a bit late to appointments.
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
Billing is disorganized - you will need to keep on them. The nursing team is great but overwhelmed with patients, especially since Dr. Ekpo is on maternity leave. It is a small clinic so you'll have a personalized experience.
Answered my questions, knew my history. Would have liked more explanations on protocols.
Personalized approach, sometimes confused on information.
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
Dr. Smikle is very clinical and direct. He tends to be a bit late to appointments. You will have to ask a lot of questions to get the information or feedback you need. His communication is a bit lacking but once asked he will give you a full answer.
Make sure to ask questions - he does not elaborate a ton. Frequently late.
Menopur, Gonal F, Metformin for egg retrieval.
$18,000 for IVF/PGS/ICSI/FET
San Francisco
The billing department [Laurel Fertility Care] is very unorganized - make sure you keep records. They just hired a new COO who is supposed to be helping clean it up. Dr. Ekpo is on maternity leave so scheduling is a bit tough and delayed right now. Nurses are kind and compassionate. It's a small clinic, so there's a lot of personalization.... Had to ask for PGS testing refund, and have had multiple meetings with billing where they came in with incorrect information regarding my account.
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
The billing department is very unorganized - make sure you keep records. They just hired a new COO who is supposed to be helping clean it up. Dr. Ekpo is on maternity leave so scheduling is a bit tough and delayed right now. Nurses are kind and compassionate. It's a small clinic, so there's a lot of personalization.
How was your experience with Geraldine Ekpo at Laurel Fertility Care?
Dr. Ekpo is compassionate, direct, caring, and understanding. I saw her every visit and she was usually on time. She gave her professional and personal opinion. She was helpful with decision-making. I would have liked more communication on why certain issues came up and how best to maneuver them for next time.
Gonal F, Menopur, Metformin for egg retrieval. Stims protocol for FET after estrogen priming did not work (2 cancelled transfers).
$18,000 for IVF, PGS, ICSI, FET
Originally she agreed that a single would be best, but after 2 cancelled transfers when we mentioned transferring 2, she said that makes the most sense with 3 day embryos.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
you will have times that you will have to go to modesto and sf. so please be prepared for travel. their strengths were communicatio and friendliness. they [Laurel Fertility Care- SF] were easy to deal with, very flexible and accomadating to your scheduling needs. they had a ton of information and knew where to direct you if u needed help woth medicines. and other than that it was great... they were outgoing, friendly and communicated well.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
you will have times that you will have to go to modesto and sf. so please be prepared for travel. their strengths were communicatio and friendliness. they were easy to deal with, very flexible and accomadating to your scheduling needs. they had a ton of information and knew where to direct you if u needed help woth medicines. and other than that it was great
He was very kind, heard my concerns and was open and honest.
they were outgoing, friendly and communicated well.
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
hes not a man of many words but hes smart, and honest and competent at what he does.i always felt like i was in good hands and that he wanted me to have good results. He very good at responding to calls and emails also and he was good at explaining things i could understand it was a good experience. hes a bit expensive though
have a financial plan
he only wanted to transfer one emryo due to my history if premature births he felt twins would increase it. i wish he had done two though
everything cost
he didnt want to do multiples
2012
IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
It is a smaller, personal office. It does not have the reputation of some of the big SF places, but he was great. Since we were on our 3rd round, and since IVF is pricey and I was a tricky patient, he actually told us upon miscarriage that CCRM would be our best bet. He did not try to oversell us, and he guided us to go there.
2012
IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
He was the only point of contact, no shuffling to the dr on call. He coordinated with my other doctors since I have other health issues, and he treated me like a WHOLE person. So different than the other places I tried.
Sadly I dont' remember, but I can tell you that I do remember the negative things at other places so I think all was smooth.
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
Get to know him and understand how the office works- it's closed one week a month and as an impatient ivf client, timing can be everything.
San Francisco
The office staff [Laurel Fertility Care] did change some during the time I was under care there, so sometimes it would get frustrating to deal with people who didn’t know anything about you or your case. The nurses, medical assistants and embryologists were all very knowledgeable and always caring.... Dr. Smikle very much cares about each and every one of his patients.... He always took time to answer any and all questions I had at all my appointments.
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
The office staff did change some during the time I was under care there, so sometimes it would get frustrating to deal with people who didn’t know anything about you or your case. The nurses, medical assistants and embryologists were all very knowledgeable and always caring.
He always took time to answer any and all questions I had at all my appointments. Went above and beyond to make me feel like there was still hope and to not give up.
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
Dr. Smikle very much cares about each and every one of his patients. He takes time to meet with his patients and gives out his email so that if there are any concerns that his staff cannot help with, then he will help you to resolve the issue.
2013 - 2015
Dr Smikle [at Laurel Fertility Care] was competent but not a great communicator. The most frustrating/troubling part of my experience was he heavily relied on his staff for education and scheduling and his staff was completely incompetent, unprofessional and bad communicators. they made many mistakes with me and with 2 people I referred.
2013 - 2015
Dr Smille is not warm but very direct
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
Dr Smikle was competent but not a great communicator. The most frustrating/troubling part of my experience was he heavily relied on his staff for education and scheduling and his staff was completely incompetent, unprofessional and bad communicators. they made many mistakes with me and with 2 people I referred.
Interview him first about the changes he has made to his staff. Ask what measures are in place to ensure mistakes are not made and to give timely feedback about staff and the experience in general.
San Francisco
I felt like I was in good hands. He [Dr Smikle] was upfront and explained everything to us regd treatment. When we had questions he was willing go explain in great detail so we felt comfortable. He was open to communicate over email and phone. I had his cell and knew I could call whenever I needed him!
It is a great clinic.
Dr Smikle was great! He talked about all the details, why he though we should do ivf. Also took into consideration my health problems. He was kind and considerate in his manner without being condescending - I really loved that.
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
I felt like I was in good hands. He was upfront and explained everything to us regd treatment. When we had questions he was willing go explain in great detail so we felt comfortable. He was open to communicate over email and phone. I had his cell and knew I could call whenever I needed him!
Go with open mind, do your research and ask questions.
I don't remember as my insurance covered all costs
San Francisco
[Dr. Smikle was] Funny,articulate, straight forward, knowledgable... It is a small office [at Laurel Fertility] so you get very personalized attention. The staff is wonderful....[The nurse] was very competent and responsive to questions and requests. I never felt rushed and she went out of her way to answer my questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Laurel Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Francesca )
Funny,articulate, straight forward, knowledgable,
IUI 1 Femara 5mg for 5 days + Ovidrel + Prometrium IUI 2 Femara 7.5mg for 5 days + Ovidrel +Prometrium IUI 3 5mg 7 days + Bravelle 75 units 7 days +Ganirelix +Ovidrel +Prometrium =bfp
I have insurance coverage so I paid $200 per IUI Inc all ultrasounds and bloodwork.
San Francisco
Everyone in the office [at Laurel Fertility Care] is friendly and knows your name...They can be a bit disorganized. It is a small office so you get very personalized attention. The staff is wonderful...She was very competent and responsive to questions and requests. I never felt rushed and she went out of her way to answer my questions.
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
Everyone in the office is friendly and knows your name...They can be a bit disorganized.
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
Funny,articulate, straight forward, knowledgable. Dr Smikle is hands on and very present. If he is there he makes time to do your ultrasounds and IUIs himself rather than having a nurse do it.