5.5
5.5

3500 Barranca Pkwy
Irvine, CA 92606
949-788-1133

Dr. Yelian is very kind and will answer your questions IF you get the chance to see him. Mostly you will have contact with nurses. He is very optimistic and gives everyone a chance at success, though I was under the impression that this would be much easier than it has been. I'm not sure if I'm just that unfortunate or if they present an inflated success rate... Some of the frustration is from not getting to talk to a doctor and hear the reasons for the particular treatment plan. The nurses send over the ultrasound information and bloodwork results for a doctor to review in Irvine. This is my least favorite aspect of the clinic. I like to know why things are being done a certain way, but if you want to talk to a doctor about your treatment plan, it will cost you $75.
At no point did anyone. [at Life IVF Center] talk with us about the unlikelihood of getting a healthy egg from this. They just pressed on. We had wanted to cancel a week before this, but were encouraged to keep going by the nurse, since that is what the doctor's treatment plan had in it. My husband and I ended up cancelling the cycle on day 18, but we had wasted thousands of extra dollars on meds at that point (plus they charged us $250 for the extra office visit because we went over 5x). If we hadn't cancelled the cycle, we would have been out all of the money when the egg retrieved was (presumably) unusable. At least by cancelling it we were able to use the package again, though we had to pay the $850 monitoring fee and purchase meds for another cycle. So little counsel through the process.
How was your experience with Frank Yelian at Life IVF Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Frank Yelian at Life IVF Center?
Ask questions. Don't let them treat you like a number. If you just go along with things, they will continue to take your money even if there is little chance for success. For one cycle, the follicles weren't growing very much so they more than doubled the drugs I was on. The next time I went in they hadn't grown at all, even with all the extra injectables. I went in a few days later and all the follicles had atrophied except one, which hadn't grown for days. By day 18 it was clear this cycle wasn't going anywhere, but they wanted to trigger me and try to get the (1) 13mm follicle that hadn't grown in a week. At no point did anyone talk with us about the unlikelihood of getting a healthy egg from this. They just pressed on. We had wanted to cancel a week before this, but were encouraged to keep going by the nurse, since that is what the doctor's treatment plan had in it. My husband and I ended up cancelling the cycle on day 18, but we had wasted thousands of extra dollars on meds at that point (plus they charged us $250 for the extra office visit because we went over 5x). If we hadn't cancelled the cycle, we would have been out all of the money when the egg retrieved was (presumably) unusable. At least by cancelling it we were able to use the package again, though we had to pay the $850 monitoring fee and purchase meds for another cycle. So little counsel through the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Frank Yelian at Life IVF Center?
Dr. Yelian is kind, however, it is rare to have much interaction with him outside of the procedure room. Even then, more than 50% of the time another Dr. (usually Dr. Kao) would do the egg retrieval. The office is very busy in Irvine, though I usually go to Arcadia. The nurses are generally kind, but I was often frustrated that I couldn't get straight answers to my questions. I've done 2 egg retrievals and 6 IVF cycles (of those one was cancelled, another had 0 eggs that fertilized, and one cycle none of the fertilized eggs made it to Day 5). It has been a very emotionally exhausting and frustrating experience. Some of the frustration is from not getting to talk to a doctor and hear the reasons for the particular treatment plan. The nurses send over the ultrasound information and bloodwork results for a doctor to review in Irvine. This is my least favorite aspect of the clinic. I like to know why things are being done a certain way, but if you want to talk to a doctor about your treatment plan, it will cost you $75.
Describe the protocols Frank Yelian used in your cycles at Life IVF Center and their degree of success.
Mini IVF. 50mg Clomid (or less if your FSH is over 15). Injectables starting on day 2, 3, or 4, usually of Gonal-F. If that isn't working they either switch over to Menapur or add it in. Once follicles get to the appropriate size they will trigger you with Lupron and (usually) HCG. The retrieval is 35 hours later. The reason we went with a clinic that did Mini IVF was because we had read that embryo quality could possibly be better with less meds. Also, because I have diminished ovarian reserve I probably wouldn't be able to get a lot of eggs even with more medication. Since going through all of this, I have come across some clinics that disagree with the Mini IVF protocol. In their opinion the quality isn't better and you waste a lot of time getting just a few eggs per cycle. I've heard it takes twice as many cycles to conceive.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Life IVF Center.
The nursing staff at the Arcadia location is great. Very friendly and compassionate. The nurses at the Irvine location are very busy. Some of the nurses in Irvine are extremely knowledgable and have been helpful in answering all my questions.
Describe your experience with Life IVF Center.
Very busy. I enjoy going to the Arcadia location, but they are only open M-F. Almost every cycle I end up having to go to Irvine on a Saturday for a monitoring appointment. Also, all procedures are done in Irvine. I wasn't expecting to have to do that much driving. I chose the clinic partially because Arcadia isn't too far from my home. When I go to Irvine on a Saturday I end up waiting around a lot. The majority of the time it takes a few hours at the clinic, so, plus driving time, it takes up half of the day every time I go.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Life IVF Center.
The clinic runs very efficiently as long as nothing is out of order. I've been there when the blood work machine stopped working and they had to send lab tests out (which of course slowed everything down). One of the nurses has forgotten to fill in all the areas for the meds used for the egg retrieval twice. Because it is a narcotic, the pharmacy can't take it unless it is precisely filled out. Once the trigger shot was not put in my bag, which sent me into a complete panic (I realized it after driving an hour back home). They are usually backlogged on Saturdays and it borders on chaotic.
Irvine

he [Dr. Yelian] glances through your information in front of you and then begins your consult. He is moderately friendly, just maybe would like if I felt like he knew my info before I entered his office. He did call me a few times through my treatments...After my miscarriages I didn't hear from him personally either time...approached IVF totally differently and I appreciate that. He changes his protical for each patient and adjusts meds along the way if necessary. He's not much of a talker so be prepared to ask questions if you have them because after your first meeting with him you you have to pay to see him which feels pretty wrong to me.
The nurses are crazy busy [at Life IVF Center] but super kind and compassionate...[staff] told me the gender of our embryos when we said we didn't want to know. I didn't like that when you do your beta after a transfer if you don't wait the 1-2 hours for your blood test results, they don't call you with the results, instead you have to look them up online. I haven't heard of any other clinic being that impersonal...This is a mini and natural IVF clinic so meds are used at a minimum. I did mini IVF which for me meant clomid starting CD3 and then only 4 days of low dose stims (menopur and gonal-f).
How was your experience with Frank Yelian at Life IVF Center?
Dr Yelian approached IVF totally differently and I appreciate that. He changes his protical for each patient and adjusts meds along the way if necessary. He's not much of a talker so be prepared to ask questions if you have them because after your first meeting with him you you have to pay to see him which feels pretty wrong to me. I had to pay to have a phone call with him after my miscarriage at 12 weeks to discuss his thoughts on it. I feel like that phone call should have just happened.
Be clear about your desired outcome and method. Also, go prepared with all of your questions. Don't expect to see him really ever....but if that is important to you, spend the money to get the face to face time.
This is a very busy clinic. You get called in to see the dr, he glances through your information in front of you and then begins your consult. He is moderately friendly, just maybe would like if I felt like he knew my info before I entered his office. He did call me a few times through my treatments, once when I was in the waiting room which was kinda weird. After my miscarriages I didn't hear from him personally either time. The first time a different dr called me; the second time I was supposed to get a call but never did.
This is a mini and natural IVF clinic so meds are used at a minimum. I did mini IVF which for me meant clomid starting CD3 and then only 4 days of low dose stims (menopur and gonal-f). I had 15 follicles but had an early LH surge so I lost the dominant follicle and only had 2 mature eggs out of the 10 that they retrieved. Second transfer took less meds (less menopur) and resulted in 9 mature eggs of which I got 5 5-day blasts. Pretty good numbers for mini IVF at 40.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Life IVF Center. (Assigned nurse: Anna)
The nurses are crazy busy but super kind and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Life IVF Center.
Their biggest strength is their approach to IVF using little or no drugs. They are able to help many women with DOR and advanced maternal age with his methods. The downside is that the clinic is crazy busy and appointments are long while you wait for your results to be reviewed by the dr. Because they are so busy, some of the details get lost in the shuffle so you need to be super organized. They also told me the gender of our embryos when we said we didn't want to know. I didn't like that when you do your beta after a transfer if you don't wait the 1-2 hours for your blood test results, they don't call you with the results, instead you have to look them up online. I haven't heard of any other clinic being that impersonal. Also, I was on Dr. Yellian's "call log" 2-3 times for him to call me. Once he was 2 days late calling me, the second time he never called. It was after a chemical pregnancy and I felt like I deserved at least his thoughts on it.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Life IVF Center.
Very busy but they get everyone in quickly for bloodwork and ultrasounds but then you wait sometimes for over an hour for the results and any changes in protocol. If you're in a hurry, you can leave and have the nurse call you with results.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frank Yelian at Life IVF Center.
I believe the cost has gone up but I paid about $10K for one mini IVF including monitoring, meds, retrieval and frozen transfer. PGS testing is $1k per embryo.
Describe Frank Yelian's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Life IVF Center.
He's a strong advocate for single transfers but will do 2 on a case by case basis.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Life IVF Center.
They asked for the same paperwork several times. I kept a folder of our test results with me so that if they ever asked I had it all with me. Dr Yellian wanted to put me on blood thinning drugs after my miscarriage. I had some concerns and he said it was fine to not be on them. I felt like I could have spent $300/month on a drug that I probably didn't need, especially when my miscarriage was marked by lots of bleeding before and during.
Irvine

What I liked most about Dr. Yelian was his approach not to do conventional IVF for someone over 40. He does mini IVF and natural IVF. We did natural IVF, where it just follows my natural cycle. We were going to try minimal stim but my cycles became too irregular. To regulate them, I went on birth control, but then that made my FSH through the roof, and he suggested I take a break...He's wonderful, and he has a very busy practice. He's limited on time, but I felt taken care of throughout. He's very kind and compassionate, and has had great success. He was realistic about my chances, while remaining encouraging. He's very knowledgeable and I would recommend him.
Because it's a busy clinic, don't expect serenity or a "spa-like" experience I've hear about other places. But it's quality care at an affordable price. Right now, I'm looking at donor eggs, and the expense is unbelievable! I wish I could work with Yelian with their donors, but I can't choose that path because it's anonymous...the only reason I can no longer work with him is that their egg donor program is anonymous, and I don't think that's a wise move on my part. I want the donor to be open to being contacted down the road
How was your experience with Frank Yelian at Life IVF Center?
Avoid Dr. Lee C. Kao, and request you never work with him.
Dr. Yelian is a warm, sweet man. I've moved onto needing egg donation, and the only reason I can no longer work with him is that their egg donor program is anonymous, and I don't think that's a wise move on my part. I want the donor to be open to being contacted down the road. Dr. Lee C. Kao is AWFUL! No bedside manner and rude, and he did my consultation. After that experience, I asked Dr. Yelian to make sure I never work with him again.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Life IVF Center.
Yelian has a very large team, and they're on it. They took whatever time I needed to answer my questions.
Describe your experience with Life IVF Center.
The lab is great according to the women who have worked with Yelian (and who are pregnant/have children with his help). The challenge for me is that I live in SF and he's in Orange County, so that was inconvenient. Because it's a busy clinic, don't expect serenity or a "spa-like" experience I've hear about other places. But it's quality care at an affordable price. Right now, I'm looking at donor eggs, and the expense is unbelievable! I wish I could work with Yelian with their donors, but I can't choose that path because it's anonymous.
$6,000, which is why I wish I could work with him again. Now, I'm looking at ~$40,000. :(
Investment Banker
He’s a nice man with a big heart! He’s just very busy and you don’t always get to see him. Most of the time your are just dealing with the staff. I do feel like he truly cares and wants to help! He’s very optimistic and honest. ... I don’t like that you don’t get to speak directly to Dr/ Yelian. ... We did a mini cycle with minimal meds and specific meds to keep my FSH down.
The front desk staff [Life IVF] needs to be more welcoming. I feel like they are so busy and they don’t get to give the specific time each patient might need. I do like how clean and organized they are. I don’t like that you don’t get to speak directly to Dr/ Yelian. ... There so busy and so many people in and out. ... I think for two transfers and two egg retrieval’s cost about $10k plus meds and $795 per cycling fee. Embryo testing is about $1,500 per embryo. If you batch them it’s cheaper.
How was your experience with Frank Yelian at Life IVF Center?
You have to be your own advocate.
There so busy and so many people in and out.
We did a mini cycle with minimal meds and specific meds to keep my FSH down.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Life IVF Center.
Some are really nice and care and for some it’s just a job. Sometimes there’s a language barrier.
Describe your experience with Life IVF Center.
The front desk staff needs to be more welcoming. I feel like they are so busy and they don’t get to give the specific time each patient might need. I do like how clean and organized they are. I don’t like that you don’t get to speak directly to Dr/ Yelian.
Yes, they prefer to just transfer one embryo but I’m still praying about maybe transferring 2.
No nothing specific