Genetic counseling: Offered
West Islip
500 Montauk Hwy
West Islip, NY 11795
631-687-2229
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RMA Long Island IVF to a friend?

I didn’t get to see Dr. Zinger much so I had to deal with the nurse who did 2 of my IUI’s.... Dr. Zinger was very nice during my 1st consultation. He was referred to me by my Gyn doctor at the time. Dr. Zinger gave me some informative information my 1st visit. After that I didn’t really deal with him much.... it will be nice if the doctors will be more involved instead of leaving it up to the nurses.
I was using donor sperm and for some reason the shipment got messed up so my husband had to go and get it. When he came back they [nurse - Long Island IVF] took it along with the paperwork. I waited for almost an hour before she came out yelling at me. She was say I did something to the paperwork basically accusing me of a crime. I was in shocked, confused and emotional on a full bladder.
How was your experience with Michael Zinger at RMA Long Island IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Zinger at RMA Long Island IVF?
I would say be prepared not to see him much. If you’re getting an IUI most likely he won’t be the one doing it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Zinger at RMA Long Island IVF?
I didn’t get to see Dr. Zinger much so I had to deal with the nurse who did 2 of my IUI’s. She was just a cold person. She wouldn’t talk through any of the ultrasounds I had with her.
Describe the protocols Michael Zinger used in your cycles at RMA Long Island IVF and their degree of success.
Two of my IUI cycles he had me on Clomid, progesterone suppository and Ovidrel 250mcg (trigger shot). One cycle I had to take letrozole because there was a shortage on clomid.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF.
She’s a very cold person, she doesn’t communicate well during ultrasounds. She really only talk to you if you’re asking her a question. My last interaction with her was so horrible.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
The strengths this clinic has is the woman who handles the billing. She was so helpful and nice to me every time. The weakness is the lack of communication they have with themselves and their patients. Also it will be nice if the doctors will be more involved instead of leaving it up to the nurses.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Zinger at RMA Long Island IVF.
The only cost I had was for the medication and the donor sperm. With the medication I think I had to pay a $125 deductible.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA Long Island IVF.
The nurse at this location was so horrible. I was using donor sperm and for some reason the shipment got messed up so my husband had to go and get it. When he came back they took it along with the paperwork. I waited for almost an hour before she came out yelling at me. She was say I did something to the paperwork basically accusing me of a crime. I was in shocked, confused and emotional on a full bladder. My husband tried to calm her down by saying he will call the bank to find out what happened. She didn’t want any parts of us so she canceled the IUI. She said we will have to come back the next day. The ladies at the front desk were in shock as well on how she was acting. At this point I’m crying and embarrassed because she did this in the waiting area. The young ladies at the front desk kept apologizing on her behalf. I came back the next day thinking I was going to get my IUI done. I waited for almost 2 hours. Finally I get called to come into the back to sit in Dr. Zingers office not an exam room. He basically told me that due to the mixup with the paperwork for the donor sperm he doesn’t feel comfortable performing the IUI. I explained to him I understand that 100% but the way me and my husband was treated was unacceptable. I am not sure if she treated us this way because of the color of our skin or because husband is a trans man. I just know how extremely disrespectful this nurse was and how bad she made me feel. That was my last time there.
Brooklyn (closed)

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Zinger at RMA Long Island IVF.

2018 - 2020
Dr Zinger was always in touch with me during the whole process. It was easy to communicate via email and phone. He answered all my questions regarding IUI and IVF process. When I had miscarriage, he was the one who comforted me and gave me a hope that everything will be fine. ... We used progesterone in oil and estrogen pills during my frozen embryo transfer. It worked but I miscarried on my 7th week.
My nurse Jackie was so passionate about the result! We communicate on the daily basis and I knew I can call and email her anytime ... It had good experience with monitoring appointments. I did my blood work and sonograms right before my work. They did not have lines, everything was done within 15 minutes. ... The clinic is pretty good and staff is always ready to help. I did my retrieval and transfers there. When dr Zinger performed my d&c I had a huge support from nurses. One weakness for me, I live to far from the clinic so I took days off to do all my procedures
How was your experience with Michael Zinger at RMA Long Island IVF?
Ask as many questions as you need, he will always answer and explain everything that you need. Dr Zinger is experienced and knowledgeable.
He is very polite and has good bedside manner
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA Long Island IVF.
My IUI were covered with my insurance. Frozen IVF transfer is $4,500
Describe Michael Zinger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA Long Island IVF.
Dr Zinger suggested to transfer one embryo at the time and I agreed with him because multiple pregnancy could be dangerous

1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Anovulation, Unexplained
Michael zinger had great bedside manner. he was educated, knowledgeable. the only thing I would have wished he had done differently was opt in for the ICSI. he felt I would absolutely not need it, however we only got one fertilized egg out of 14. I wish he would have played it safer and done the ICSI.... office staff was warm and welcoming, knew us by name. available for questions. never rushed out of the office. was seen in a timely manner
the ckinic [Long Island IVF-Brooklyn] was clean, knowledgeable, organized, helpful, efficient parking right outside the clinic was no problem for early morning appts, scarce in the afternoon. there was a parking garage 1 block over.... [For monitoring] get to the office at 6am. a few minutes later there will be a line.... worked like a well oiled machine. 4 hour window for monitoring.
European, Latino, Native American, Other
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Anovulation, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Zinger at RMA Long Island IVF?
get to the office at 6am. a few minutes later there will be a line.
used follistim, menupur, ganirelix,
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF.
great! No complaints at all.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
the ckinic was clean, knowledgeable, organized, helpful, efficient parking right outside the clinic was no problem for early morning appts, scarce in the afternoon. there was a parking garage 1 block over
worked like a well oiled machine. 4 hour window for monitoring.
donor sperm, medication, a few copays. had coverage thru insurance at the time
didn't discuss, as I only had 1 embryo

2018 - 2020
Dr. Pena takes the time to get to know you during your initial consultation. He does the same for your partner. I went back recently to have baby #2 and he remembered exactly who I was. Every time I go to his office he takes the time to ask how I’m doing. His small talk and jokes always put me at ease. Never once have I felt like a number throughout process...He explains the risks of every thing and is honestly about all aspects of treatment. He also celebrates in your milestones and moments of joy. I’ve have nothing but positive experiences with Dr. Pena which is why I’m a returning patient - I wouldn’t trust anyone else!
[The nurse at Long Island IVF is] kind, thoughtful, and does her job well. You always feel like he’s rooting for you and she answers emails quickly...Monitoring runs smoothly here! They have a great system. You get your bloodwork done first then move to sono so they constant have people rotating out of each...IUIs cost $2,000 a cycle and medication was a few dollars. Our fresh IVF cycle was based on tax returns so I believe it was $10,025 and then we paid maybe 3-4K in medications.
European, Latino
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena is a wonderful doctor and I truly mean that. It’s so evident that he cares about his patients. He is very level-headed which I’ve needed during the emotional rollercoaster that is family building. He explains the risks of every thing and is honestly about all aspects of treatment. He also celebrates in your milestones and moments of joy. I’ve have nothing but positive experiences with Dr. Pena which is why I’m a returning patient - I wouldn’t trust anyone else!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Listen to him, he knows exactly what he’s doing. It may be frustrating when things take longer than expected or if a cycle isn’t successful but he’ll help you get there. Just trust the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Describe the protocols Joseph Pena used in your cycles at RMA Long Island IVF and their degree of success.
1 IUI not medicated. 1 IUI 50mg clomid. 2 IUIs 100mg clomid. 1 fresh IVF cycle (lots of meds - Estrace, gonal-F, menopur, cetrotide, etc.). 2 frozen transfers (Estrace 2mg 3x daily, Endometrin 100mg 3x daily, progesterone in oil 100mL once daily)
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jess Castro)
Jess Castro has been my nurse while trying conceive both of my children. It has been a blessing having that consistency. She’s kind, thoughtful, and does her job well. You always feel like he’s rooting for you and she answers emails quickly.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
Long Island IVF (now RMA Long Island IVF) is a really smart choice and a wise investment if you are looking to build or expand your family. The service they provide is top-notch and the doctor and nurses have great bedside manner. They are organized, friendly, and caring. They have checklists to keep you on track and call promptly with results. Someone is always available to answer questions or listen to concerns. Their office staff is fantastic, especially Karen R. and Midge Moretti!
Monitoring runs smoothly here! They have a great system. You get your bloodwork done first then move to sono so they constant have people rotating out of each. In the larger office (Melville) they can draw blood on 2 people at once and have 4 sono rooms so it moves quickly. At East Patchogue there are two sono rooms and the wait isn’t bad.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF.
My insurance wouldn’t cover anything initially so we did self pay for everything. IUIs cost $2,000 a cycle and medication was a few dollars. Our fresh IVF cycle was based on tax returns so I believe it was $10,025 and then we paid maybe 3-4K in medications. The frozen cycles cost $4,425. Besides medications, everything is included in that fee. Once I became pregnant my insurance kicked in and it was $40 copays per visit.
Describe Joseph Pena's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA Long Island IVF.
Dr. Pena strongly recommends eSET. I had pushed on two different cycles for 2 embryos and each time he was adamant that only one was needed and explained the risks of multiples. He was so right - both of those cycles ended up in pregnancies, each with a singleton.
East Patchogue

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF.

2020
Dr. Pena is a strong believer of transferring one embryo to reduce risk factors associated with a multiple pregnancy... took a great amount of time explaining the various options of assisted reproductive technology that were available to me during my initial consultation. He listened to my concerns and answered all of the questions. During my monitoring appointments, Dr. Pena was thorough in his explanations and always made me feel comfortable throughout the process. Doctor Nps
Monitoring appointments are first come, first serve and you are given a window of time that you may be seen [at Long Island IVF]. Upon arriving to the facility, you call from your car and they will let you know when to come up to the office (due to COVID-19). The wait long was typically no longer than 10-15 minutes on average...the office handled everything very smoothly and ensured the utmost importance of the health and safety of the patients. Morning monitoring was ran smoothly and they never had more than 2-3 patients in the office at a time while adhering to social distancing guidelines. Temperature was taken at every arrival and all office staff and patients wore masks. The wait time was typically no longer than 10-15 min most of the time.
2020
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena has provided patient-centered care throughout my IVF journey. From my first consultation with him, I felt comfortable and confident that I was making the right decision choosing him as my fertility specialist. He is extremely knowledgeable in this field and will take the time out to listen to your concerns. He never makes you feel rushed during the office visits and is great in explaining what is shown/being looked for on the sonogram screens. Dr. Pena is truly the best at what he does!!
Trust him!!!
Dr. Pena took a great amount of time explaining the various options of assisted reproductive technology that were available to me during my initial consultation. He listened to my concerns and answered all of the questions. During my monitoring appointments, Dr. Pena was thorough in his explanations and always made me feel comfortable throughout the process.
I began my IVF protocol with birth control pills to begin controlling the stimulation of my ovaries. My stims began with menopur and Gonal-F to stimulate my ovaries and to increase follicle production. I also was on ganirelix to suppress ovulation. After 10 days of stims, I triggered using the leuprolide and novarel. These two assisted my ovaries in preparation for ovulation for an egg retrieval. The day before the egg retrieval I took an antibiotic as a precaution for risk of infection. The day after egg retrieval, I began the progesterone in oil shots intramuscularly as well as 1mg of estradiol twice a day. I worked my way up to maintaining the 1mL of progesterone in oil daily, 2mg of estradiol twice a day, and progesterone suppositories (Endometrin) 3x a day. I am currently on the same dosage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Alexis and Jess)
The nursing staff at RMA LIIVF Patchogue office are the best! They are caring, knowledgeable, and thorough.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the office handled everything very smoothly and ensured the utmost importance of the health and safety of the patients. Morning monitoring was ran smoothly and they never had more than 2-3 patients in the office at a time while adhering to social distancing guidelines. Temperature was taken at every arrival and all office staff and patients wore masks. The wait time was typically no longer than 10-15 min most of the time.
Monitoring appointments are first come, first serve and you are given a window of time that you may be seen. Upon arriving to the facility, you call from your car and they will let you know when to come up to the office (due to COVID-19). The wait long was typically no longer than 10-15 minutes on average.
Most of my IVF was covered under my health insurance. I did have to pay copayments for medications as well as copayments once deemed pregnant.

2019 - 2020
The doctor [Dr. Joseph Pena] explained the statistics with multiple embryo transfers and we chose to do single embryo transfers. At no point did we feel pressure to go one way or another...was caring, compassionate, and very knowledgeable. He's very straight forward when describing treatment options and recommendations. I always felt like I could reach out directly to him at any point, and he answered all of my emails within hours. He personally called me after egg retrieval and fertilization to check in, and also with pregnancy tests results.
The clinic [Long Island IVF] runs very smoothly with appointments and scheduled monitoring hours. Wait times were very low at the Patchogue location. The Melville office can get a bit crowded, especially during holidays, and wait times there could be longer...Everyone in the office always knew my name and greeted me when I showed up for monitoring appointments. My nurse always came out to ask me how I'm doing and if I had questions even if I was there routinely. Most importantly, they sit down and explain everything(!) slowly and multiple times, and go over your personal treatment schedule and expectations.
2019 - 2020
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena was caring, compassionate, and very knowledgeable. He's very straight forward when describing treatment options and recommendations. I always felt like I could reach out directly to him at any point, and he answered all of my emails within hours. He personally called me after egg retrieval and fertilization to check in, and also with pregnancy tests results.
Do not hold back on questions. If you don't understand something, ask, he'll explain everything
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Alexis)
All of the nurses on Dr. Pena's team were amazing, caring and knowledgeable. They were always on top of all my medications, answered countless questions and emails. They are very thorough with test results and instructions, and make sure you understand every step of the process. Alexis and Jess are incredible!
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
The clinic runs very smoothly with appointments and scheduled monitoring hours. Wait times were very low at the Patchogue location. The Melville office can get a bit crowded, especially during holidays, and wait times there could be longer.
It was very efficient. Between 7-8 am so I always had plenty of time to go into work. And you can go into the most convenient office location. Compared to my previous experience where we did have scheduled appointments, which would ultimately run late, and I was always late for work, this was way better
The doctor explained the statistics with multiple embryo transfers and we chose to do single embryo transfers. At no point did we feel pressure to go one way or another.

2018 - 2020
Dr. Pena followed the general guidelines based on my age and embryo quality [for Eset]...I have a condition which affects all of my eggs and causes them to have an abnormal, extremely thin/frail zona ("shell"). Because of this we required very "gentle" ICSI for successful fertilization. This was done and we had great fertilization results for both IVF cycles with Dr. Pena...I always felt he spent time with me, answering questions in a non-rushed manner and always showing compassion. He was available by email for any thoughts or questions and would respond quickly and more often, he would call me personally. All of this was so important to me going through the difficult process of fertility treatments.
I always arrived at least a half hour before the office [Long Island IVF] opened in the AM and I was either first or third in line. For the most part, things ran smoothly and quickly and I always made it to work on time...I spent time in Stony Brook and East Patchogue. Both clinics were friendly and timely. I spent the latter part of my care in East Patchogue where nurse, Diane was friendly and caring. Front desk receptionist, Peggy made me feel at home each time I was there. I also wanted to compliment the on call nurses with whom I spoke to twice during circumstances that were upsetting. Unfortunately I cannot remember their names but they were experienced and comforting.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
I met Dr. Pena after losing my first IVF specialist after he left his practice and for insurance reasons. This was at a very vulnerable time where I felt abandoned by my first physician and rejected by another physician on the island who would only suggest an egg donor. I discussed my condition and the previous encounter with the refusing physician and Dr. Pena reassured me that I should continue with traditional IVF and never faltered on that decision. He was always encouraging and assured me he'd tell me when it was time to seek other options. In essence, he never gave up on me. That has spoken volumes to me, confirming his reputation of being a compassionate, successful, fertility physician. After five IVF cycles, I'm now pregnant with a viable pregnancy. I owe a lot to Dr. Pena. Without his confidence in me, I'm not sure I would've continued on with fertility treatments. I will forever be grateful.
I was initially hesitant to consult with Long Island IVF (now RMA Long Island IVF) because of the size of the practice. I was afraid that I would just be a number in a sea of patients. But that is not at all what I encountered with Dr. Pena. My advice would be make a consult and you will see that he is knowledgable, down to earth and cares for his patients wholeheartedly.
Having been with Dr. Pena for nearly two years, I experienced some difficult times and was given news that was very hard at times. I always felt he spent time with me, answering questions in a non-rushed manner and always showing compassion. He was available by email for any thoughts or questions and would respond quickly and more often, he would call me personally. All of this was so important to me going through the difficult process of fertility treatments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sharon Hoey and later on Alexis and Jess)
When I first began treatment, I was assigned PA, Sharon Hoey. I'm so glad I have a chance to review her because she was an integral part of my care. She was kind, informative, patient and incredibly supportive. She continued to encourage me throughout the process and was a shoulder to lean on often. She is certainly working in the right specialty as fertility patients need someone like her in their corner. Later, I began dealing more with NP, Alexis who was assigned to Dr. Pena's team and she was smart, organized and helpful.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
I always arrived at least a half hour before the office opened in the AM and I was either first or third in line. For the most part, things ran smoothly and quickly and I always made it to work on time.
I was responsible for copays only. These were charged for office visits and sonograms.
Dr. Pena followed the general guidelines based on my age and embryo quality.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA Long Island IVF.
Without taking away from my overall experience which was excellent, there was an issue where I was incorrectly instructed on the mixing of my HCG trigger. I was able to identify there was an error and after speaking to the on call nurse, she instructed me properly to correct the administered dose error.

2016 - 2020
3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
PCOS, Other
Dr. Pena is a great doctor who is knowledgeable, friendly and caring. He is always easy to reach via phone or email no matter what time of day. He is a down to earth person who really wants the best for his patients...My husband and I both loved him as our doctor through this long process. Every step of the way he has been honest and forthcoming about our treatment and plan. He has been compassionate during downfalls and understanding and thorough in answering every question each time we come to the office. I would definitely recommend him to any friends in need of a fertility doctor.
[The nurses at Long Island IVF are] Always available for questions and help with medication and ordering. Always able to offer advice at any time to help through the process...Monitoring appointments were done in the morning between seven to 8 o’clock. They included blood work and sometimes bloodwork and sonograms. Sometimes he would meet with a sono tech and sometimes you would meet with the doctor himself for your sonogram. Everyone has been wonderful!...This clinic always has somebody available to speak with seven days a week and is professional and caring. They offer professional treatment and advice through every step of the process. They are extremely knowledgeable.
2016 - 2020
3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Make sure you leave time in the mornings for his pregnancy sonograms because he is very thorough and takes his time answering everyone’s questions and concerns. This obviously takes time! :)
Ivf for freeze all cycles for genetic testing with 5 day embryo transfers after test results came back. We did this as my husband and I are both carriers of genetic disease.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jess and Alexis )
East Patchogue

Dr Pena and his team were always straightforward about every process and always available to answer any and all questions I had...Our consultation was great. He gave me the recommended course of action. I came off 2 rounds of clomid (1 ending in an early miscarriage and 1 failed). I was not happy with the monitoring at my obgyn so was very happy with the plan dr Pena put together...I had a lot of standard testing that took several weeks... was frustrating but essential. Then once we finally started treatment I did IUI with letrozole and a trigger shot. First round failed, then second round was a success. After my BFP testing showed my progesterone was low so I immediately started taking suppositories twice a day. I do feel this made all the difference...
The nurses [at Long Island IVF] are amazing and are very diligent with follow up calls. My only complaint is that the Patchogue office runs very very slow. The Sayville staff is significantly quicker at everything. Sometimes I’d drive further because I’d be there for half the time...When compared to doing treatments at your regular obgyn, this office is leaps and bounds ahead. Everything is super easy, they’re a well oiled machine! Again my only complaint would be the Patchogue office is slower, nurses were late frequently so monitoring couldn’t start until like 7:20am. Every time I went to sayville they’d start their monitoring 15 min prior to opening, which was amazing. Clinic Nps
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Don’t wait too long before switching to a fertility clinic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Joey)
The nurses are amazing and are very diligent with follow up calls. My only complaint is that the Patchogue office runs very very slow. The Sayville staff is significantly quicker at everything. Sometimes I’d drive further because I’d be there for half the time.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
My insurance had great fertility coverage so I didn’t pay much out of pocket at all.

Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr. Pena refused multiple [embryo] transfers for me as I was only 27 and he was concerned for twins and high risk pregnancy. We got pregnant from our first fresh embryo so it was never revisited as he was correct in his thinking that 1 was enough...was kind and explained things to me...is a great doctor. He was candid and always reachable. I was a particularly anxious patient with lots of questions that were always answered. This process is difficult, frustrating and at times heart breaking but I always felt comfortable in his office and hopeful after my visits. Going back for baby number 2.
Once my injection was not called in [at Long Island IVF]. However once I informed the clinic they corrected it called it in and gave me the medication until mine came in to replace it so my cycle was not lost...Monitoring is done between 7am-8am. If you have work go early or go to Melville location as they have more nurses and you are in and out faster. I do love the staff at east patchogue so I just always came between 630-645 & waited for them to open...Strengths: good results, knowledgeable staff, comforting environment, positive staff and energy, Weaknesses: once medications were not called in but they did spot me the injection so my cycle was not compromised.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena is a great doctor. He was candid and always reachable. I was a particularly anxious patient with lots of questions that were always answered. This process is difficult, frustrating and at times heart breaking but I always felt comfortable in his office and hopeful after my visits. Going back for baby number 2.
Get to the office early for bloodwork.
Dr pena was kind and explained things to me. I was a very anxious patient.
Joey was not the most compassionate nurse but she was knowledgable and did her job. I mostly saw the med assistant Diane who was amazing.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
It was covered by insurance except ICIS, medications, and freezing and storage. Total cost for ivf (1 round fresh transfer) and iuis (4) was about 6-7gs.
Dr. Pena refused multiple transfers for me as I was only 27 and he was concerned for twins and high risk pregnancy. We got pregnant from our first fresh embryo so it was never revisited as he was correct in his thinking that 1 was enough.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA Long Island IVF.
Once my injection was not called in. However once I informed the clinic they corrected it called it in and gave me the medication until mine came in to replace it so my cycle was not lost.
East Patchogue
Dr. Pena always responded to emails within minutes and made sure that I understood his explanations...is direct and to the point. He listened to my concerns and took them into consideration for my plan of care. He is attentive. He is friendly. He was always available for any questions or concerns I had...He is very easy to speak with and really cares that you understand the treatment plan...I had unexplained fertility. It only took two tries to conceive. There was slight medication changes that were made on the second round that may have played a part in conceiving.
My only complaint is unfortunately they are understaffed [at Long Island IVF]...Being new and not knowing what to expect there were times I had to figure things out myself. There were times I didn’t have enough meds and I didn’t know because I was new. They also merged with another hospital at the time and there with discrepancies with what medications I was and was not using. That was a little frustrating because it cost a lot of money and is very time consuming as well as emotionally draining and to think I may not be taking the right meds or doing the right steps to achieve a successful pregnancy was upsetting. But in the end I learned to just call anytime to confirm the plan of care and the staff was helpful in figuring out together what was needed. And I did conceive so I believe I was treated appropriately.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena is direct and to the point. He listened to my concerns and took them into consideration for my plan of care. He is attentive. He is friendly. He was always available for any questions or concerns I had.
It may sound overwhelming at first , which it is, but to not give up and just ask questions. He is very easy to speak with and really cares that you understand the treatment plan.
Office staff always greeted by first name and asked friendly questions. Dr. Pena always responded to emails within minutes and made sure that I understood his explanations.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
The staff is great and really care about the patient as many there have had similar experiences with infertility which made it much easier to form a bond. My only complaint is unfortunately they are understaffed and it dies reflect on the patient treatment. Being new and not knowing what to expect there were times I had to figure things out myself. There were times I didn’t have enough meds and I didn’t know because I was new. They also merged with another hospital at the time and there with discrepancies with what medications I was and was not using. That was a little frustrating because it cost a lot of money and is very time consuming as well as emotionally draining and to think I may not be taking the right meds or doing the right steps to achieve a successful pregnancy was upsetting. But in the end I learned to just call anytime to confirm the plan of care and the staff was helpful in figuring out together what was needed. And I did conceive so I believe I was treated appropriately.
I am glad we did multiple embryo transfer because out of the 2 that were transferred only one took. It increased my odds and it was a success.
East Patchogue
Dr. Pena is a very smart and compassionate Dr. He has walked me through my procedures step by step and even held my hand for my egg retrieval before I was put under anesthesia. He is truly caring. He even took the time to call me numerous times while he was out of the country on vacation. Most doctors wouldn't do that. That showed me just how much he cares about his patients...I first had a FEMVUE and water Sonogram to rule out if my tubes were open or not and to have a map of my uterus. I also had a endometrial biopsy to help increase chances of the embryo implanting.
I would usually go to the Melville office [pf Long Island IVF] for my monitoring, they were a very well oiled machine~!...Strengths are definitely the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. Peggy is an amazing person who is so genuinely caring and makes sure you have your appointments! Its so nice to have such nice people care about you and hope that you reach your pregnancy goals...Joey [nurse]( as well as Jess) is helpful with helping me with my medications and having them ordered for me.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
I would highly recommend Dr. Pena. I would tell them to ask him any questions they may have, because he will explain everything they will need to know.
Dr. Pena is a compassionate doctor who truly cares about his patients and the importance of their care and goals. From the first day we met Dr. Pena, he took the time to explain everything to us step by step. He has never rushed an appointment and has always been clear with expectations and treatments for our fertility plan. He even took the time when he was on vacation to call me to explain a procedure he recommended doing to help my process. He is quick with responding to email questions and has always gotten back to me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Joanna Falson)
Joey ( as well as Jess) is helpful with helping me with my medications and having them ordered for me.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
I would usually go to the Melville office for my monitoring, they were a very well oiled machine~!
Everything except the PGS testing was covered by my insurance. I only have Co-payments now.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Pena had changed the estradiol pills frequency depending on the levels...prescribed Ovasitol twice a day for PCOS treatment...knew us by name. He knew what we do for living and chatted with us most of the time that we feel comfortable. He had always taken his time with us...He has always been available whenever we had an issue. He listened to our concerns and found the best solutions to our circumstances.
The Patchogue clinic at small but well organized and privacy is well preserved. The plus in the Long Island IVF is that they have multiple locations in Long Island all centralized with once system. You can do your blood work near where you work and still follow up with your doctor from another location...[nurses are] Compassionate, cheerful and amazing, throughout the whole journey. We had one instance where the billing person kind of yelled at us because a protocol was changed, we have reported the issue to the nurse when we saw her for the consent and she had cleared out the issue for us immediately and professionally.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
We have chosen Dr. Pena based on the reviews although the Patchogue office was not the most convenient for us location-wise. It turned out that Dr. Pena is in summary the Go-To Doctor for infertility treatment in Long Island. Dr. Pena is very knowledgeable (we've been elsewhere, and we now know the difference). He has always been available whenever we had an issue. He listened to our concerns and found the best solutions to our circumstances. In detail, we had only one last cycle covered by insurance. Dr. Pena planned to do a fresh embryo transfer although we had 2 frozen embryos left and to test the embryos genetically (the new and the old ones) so to maximize our chances for this last cycle. But the insurance denied our request for a fresh cycle because we had 2 embryos left. Then Dr. Pena requested a PGS to the frozen embryos to maximize our success rate. But again our request was denied by the insurance because our pre-conceptual carrier screening tests came free of genetic diseases. Then Dr. Pena was left with one option to transfer both embryos, something that we really wanted. He had warned us of the complications of twin pregnancy and we happily accepted the challenge. In brief, we are now 9 week pregnant with twins, thanks to Dr. Pena. Furthermore, because we did not have an OB/GYN at the time of pregnancy, Dr. Pena kept monitoring us weekly until we transitioned to our OB/GYN.
Do not hesitate to discuss your socioeconomic situation with Dr. Pena.
Dr. Pena knew us by name. He knew what we do for living and chatted with us most of the time that we feel comfortable. He had always taken his time with us
Dr. Pena had changed the estradiol pills frequency depending on the levels. from 1 a day, to 2 a day, to 1 a day, to finally stopping it. All based on the weekly blood levels. Dr. Pena prescribed Ovasitol twice a day for PCOS treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Governali)
$20 copay for seeing Dr. Pena and $20 copay for ultrasound
After 2 miscarriages, Dr. Pena's preference was for a third single FET. But depending on our specific circumstances, Dr. Pena decided to go for a two embryo transfer, something that we really wanted. He had repeatedly warned us about the complications down the road, and we happily accepted the challenge

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Pena is amazing. I emailed him one afternoon and he called me within 3 hours from the airport, and my question wasn't even pressing. I felt like he spent the time getting to know me and I truly felt heard... I came to him from another clinic with a folder thicker than a dictionary. He spent 2 hours talking with my husband and I on our first meeting. I believe he spent the time necessary to truly get to know my case. He was thorough, pleasant, funny, caring, and intelligent.
Although a busy office [Long Island IVF], they really take the time to get to know you and pay attention to any concerns you may have. They are attentive, work as quickly as they can while still giving you the attention necessary during early morning appointments, and they truly have a family feel.... I never once had an issue with the monitoring window, nor was I any later to work than I had planned. Depending on what time you have to be at work, being late may just have to happen, but I was never held up longer than anticipated.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena was truly amazing and I am 16 weeks along and attribute it completely to him. I came to him from another clinic with a folder thicker than a dictionary. He spent 2 hours talking with my husband and I on our first meeting. I believe he spent the time necessary to truly get to know my case. He was thorough, pleasant, funny, caring, and intelligent.
If you had bad experiences in the past like I did, it is okay to trust him. I came in hesitantly and, within one visit, felt that I knew I was in the right place.
Joey was extremely thorough and went over all my supplements with me when I had questions. If she needed to, she referred to Dr. Pena and never came off too controlling at all. She has a wonderful demeanor and was able to work as a great liason between me and Dr. Pena.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
Having come from another clinic which resembled a factory, I can tell you that Dr. Pena's office is nothing like that. Although a busy office, they really take the time to get to know you and pay attention to any concerns you may have. They are attentive, work as quickly as they can while still giving you the attention necessary during early morning appointments, and they truly have a family feel.
I never once had an issue with the monitoring window, nor was I any later to work than I had planned. Depending on what time you have to be at work, being late may just have to happen, but I was never held up longer than anticipated. If I needed to be at work earlier I just arrived at the start of the monitoring window time and if I didn't, then I just arrived before the window ended. Ironically, at my previous clinic I would have an appointment time which always took longer than the monitoring window at Dr. Pena's! They do an awesome job getting everything through quickly and efficiently.
I have insurance coverage, so I only paid a co-pay for certain visits. Since it is a center of excellence many of my co-pays were covered.
Dr. Pena was willing to transfer 2 embryos for me since I had miscarried a genetically tested embryo in the past. I elected not to do the testing and transfer one, and to transfer 2 and see what happened. I ended up with a singleton pregnancy.
East Patchogue

Dr. Pena will lay out all the facts for you and will allow you to reach an independent decision...We greatly appreciated his no-nonsense approach. He was warm and guided us at each step of the way. Although we were initially recommended to go through IUI, he did not dissuade us from choosing IVF, which was successful...He listened attentively to all our concerns, and responded promptly to our all our questions, especially via e-mail.
Monitoring appointments [at Long Island IVF] were efficient, with no more than 10 minutes of waiting if bloodwork only, or no more than 30 minutes if I needed an ultrasound...appointments with Dr. Pena may take about 30 minutes due to the volume of patients. The waiting room is comfortable, and the receptionists/nursing staff are very warm... Sharon at the Stony Brook office was particularly kind and guided me on how to inject the medication and calmed me during this long process.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena was warm and guided us at each step of the way. We always felt that we were getting the complete story each visit - both the pros and cons of each step. We will not hesitate to return to Dr. Pena in the future.
He listened attentively to all our concerns, and responded promptly to our all our questions, especially via e-mail. We greatly appreciated his no-nonsense approach. He was warm and guided us at each step of the way. Although we were initially recommended to go through IUI, he did not dissuade us from choosing IVF, which was successful. Sharon at the Stony Brook office went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and calm through this long journey.
We went for IVF with ICSI. For stimulation, I took Gonal F (225 U) and 2 x Menopur for Days 1-6; Gonal F 225, 2x Menopur, and 1 cc Ganirelix Days 7-9; Gonal F 300, 2x Menopur, and 1 cc Ganirelix Day 10; and 1cc Ganirelix and HCG trigger on Day 11, with retrieval on Day 13. For transfer, I took progesterone in oil, followed by Endometrin, Estrace, Aspirin, Medrol, and Doxycycline. This protocol maximized the number of mature eggs collected, and I had one egg transferred successfully.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica G)
Jessica G coordinated the overall scheduling and appointments at the East Patchogue office. I saw the nursing staff at the East Patchogue, Stony Brook and W. Islip offices. Sharon at the Stony Brook office was particularly kind and guided me on how to inject the medication and calmed me during this long process.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
Typically for monitoring and bloodwork, the wait is around 10 minutes at the East Patchogue office, but appointments with Dr. Pena may take about 30 minutes due to the volume of patients. The waiting room is comfortable, and the receptionists/nursing staff are very warm.
Monitoring appointments were efficient, with no more than 10 minutes of waiting if bloodwork only, or no more than 30 minutes if I needed an ultrasound.
We paid about $9,000 out of pocket. The rest was covered by insurance.
Based on my age and fertility, Dr. Pena strongly suggested transferring a single embryo

IUI, 1 IVF
Dr. Pena is the most knowledgable doctor i've ever met. Dr. Pena truly knows how to do his job. Since the first visit at his office, I felt completely confident in his abilities to get us pregnant. During my treatment I started to show signs of hyperstimulation, Dr. Pena changed my medication, and I truly believe because of this I did not develop OHSS. I read horror stories on the internet about OHSS and their doctors not knowing how to prevent it. But I was fully confident Dr. Pena knew what to do and he did.
This clinic [Long Island IVF] was clean, organized, caring and knowledgable. They became like family, as I was there almost everyday for a month. The secretary always greeting you with a smile and pleasant conversation. Diane, who took my blood each morning was amazing. I only trusted her to take my blood! Joey, my nurse was very knowledgable and could answer any questions or concerns I had.
IUI, 1 IVF
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
One piece of advice I would give a prospective patient would be to trust in Dr. Pena to make your dreams come true. He is professional, knowledgeable and compassionate.
Dr. Pena and everyone in his office, knew me by name. Everyone was very friendly, understanding and took care of my every need. I knew I could call or email Dr. Pena at any time with any questions or concerns I had, and he would respond within minutes. I felt very loved at his office and am so grateful to Dr. Pena and his staff.
On the first day of my period I began taking estrace for 4 days. One the 5th day I went to Dr. Pena's office for my baseline bloods and sono. That afternoon I received my phone call with instructions. I was told to take Follistim and Menopur for 3 nights and return to the office the next day for blood and sono. That afternoon I received my phone call with instructions. I was told to continue the same treatment, Follistim and menopur. for two nights and return the next day for blood and sono. I was told to continue same treatment and return to the in two days. On that day, was when Dr. Pena saw that I had MANY follicles. I returned to the office everyday after that until egg retrieval. Once Dr. Pena saw that I had many follicles, he changed my medication to 2 menopur each night and to discontinue to follistim. I also took ganirelix to prevent ovulation. On Sunday night I was told to take a small dose of HCG alone with a lupron shot. 36 hours later I arrived for my egg retrieval. Dr. Pena retrieved 37 follicles, 29 mature, 23 fertilized, 1 successful fresh transfer and 15 embryos frozen!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Joey Falson)
Joey called every afternoon with my instructions. Her instructions were clear and she was able to answer any other questions or concerns I had.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
This clinic was clean, organized, caring and knowledgable. They became like family, as I was there almost everyday for a month. The secretary always greeting you with a smile and pleasant conversation. Diane, who took my blood each morning was amazing. I only trusted her to take my blood! Joey, my nurse was very knowledgable and could answer any questions or concerns I had.
I always arrived 15 minutes before the monitoring window, so I was always the first to be seen and was in and out in 10 minutes.
I was fortunate enough that insurance paid for my entire IVF treatment. I did not even have any co-pays until I was pregnant.
Dr. Pena did a single embryo transfer, I am 29 years old and we both felt that a healthy 9 months of pregnancy was more important than multiples. Especially because multiples can cause a high risk pregnancy.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr.Pena and his staff treated me with the utmost respect during my treatment. Dr. Pena was kind, caring and informative. He took his time to explain everything, review results and discuss the next steps in my treatment....I underwent 3 iui's. All of them were similar in treatment plan of action. I was given clomid on day 3 for five days. After that I went in multiple times to check follicles and hormone levels. Wheb the follicles were ready I was Instructed to do one shot of ovidrel and than two days later I would undergo an iui.
The office [Long Island IVF E Patchogue] is amazing. I would ugly recommend Liivf patchogue to everyone and anyone! I went to another practice on Long Island and I was not happy. Once I came to Liivf patchogue it really changed my view on my fertility issues and the everyday challenges I was facing...All of the nurses and staff are fabulous and friendly. I felt completely comfortable with them. I enjoyed coming to the office even though this was an extremely difficult time for me. The nurses and staff members always answered my questions and were very positive.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena is an amazing doctor. I felt comfortable from the day I stepped foot into his office. He took his time to explain treatments and procedures. He answered my questions quickly and efficiently. I trust Dr.Pena 100 percent and would recommend him to anyone struggling with fertility issues.
The only advice I would give is to trust him 100 percent with whatever course of treatment he thinks is best.
I underwent 3 iui's. All of them were similar in treatment plan of action. I was given clomid on day 3 for five days. After that I went in multiple times to check follicles and hormone levels. Wheb the follicles were ready I was Instructed to do one shot of ovidrel and than two days later I would undergo an iui. The first was negative, second was a chemical and third I am pregnant with twins!
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
The office is amazing. I would ugly recommend Liivf patchogue to everyone and anyone! I went to another practice on Long Island and I was not happy. Once I came to Liivf patchogue it really changed my view on my fertility issues and the everyday challenges I was facing.
Thankfully I have insurance that covers most of my treatment. I had co pays and had to pay for medication.
East Patchogue

From our first appointment we instantly felt comfortable with Dr. Pena. He thoroughly explained our options and each procedure. He was straight to the point, which I appreciate, and has a great sense of humor that always put me at ease...From our first appointment we instantly felt comfortable with Dr. Pena. He thoroughly explained our options and each procedure. He was straight to the point, which I appreciate, and has a great sense of humor that always put me at ease.
Long Island IVF East Patchogue has fantastic staff who work together as a team to provide the best possible care for every patient. Their early morning hours are especially helpful for those who have to go to work...Every single staff member is knowledgeable and compassionate. I instantly felt welcomed and supported from the moment I called to schedule my consultation...[monitoring appts are] first come, first serve and always appeared to be well organized.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
From our first appointment we instantly felt comfortable with Dr. Pena. He thoroughly explained our options and each procedure. He was straight to the point, which I appreciate, and has a great sense of humor that always put me at ease. I have already recommended friends who are struggling with infertility to meet with Dr. Pena.
I feel that Dr. Pena is very compassionate but he is also very direct when answering questions or explaining certain things. Although I definitely prefer this form of communication and found it to be extremely helpful throughout this process, I know that some patients may feel like they need a little more "hand holding."
Dr. Pena was extremely thorough when answering all of our questions. His sense of humor made this stressful process much easier.
IVF - egg retrieval and Day 5 transfer (singleton) Medications: Follistim (Pen) varying dosage (mostly 200iu) Menopur 75iu (eventually increased dosage) Cetrotide .25mg Chorionic Gonad Progesterone in Oil 1ml Estradiol 2mg (2x daily) Methylprednisolone 4mg Endometrine 100mg (3x daily) Baby Aspirin (1x daily)
The entire staff at Long Island IVF East Patchogue is fantastic, especially Joey, Peggy and Diane! Every single staff member is knowledgeable and compassionate. I instantly felt welcomed and supported from the moment I called to schedule my consultation. The staff at Long Island IVF absolutely helped to make this experience as positive as possible. I cannot say enough good things about this amazing team!
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
Long Island IVF East Patchogue has fantastic staff who work together as a team to provide the best possible care for every patient. Their early morning hours are especially helpful for those who have to go to work. You also never have to worry if you are scheduled to come in for monitoring over the weekend or after hours because you will be instructed to go the Melville office which also has flexible hours. There is always someone you can talk to if you have any questions, even after office hours. I was extremely satisfied with their level of communication when it came to medication instructions and upcoming appointments/procedures.
Monitoring appointments always went very smoothly. Patients were given a time frame (usually 7am-9am) to come in for monitoring. It was first come, first serve and always appeared to be well organized.
We were fortunate enough to have all of our procedures fully covered by our insurance. We only had copays for the medications and a $20 copay for all appointments after a confirmed pregnancy.
Dr. Pena strongly recommended eSET due to my age, history and potential risks with multiples. I definitely feel that eSET was the right decision for us.
East Patchogue

Dr. Pena is warm and friendly but honest and realistic. He shows compassion for his patients and NEVER makes me feel like I am just another patient. In fact, he made me feel like I was his ONLY patient, even though of course I am not. He was attentive to my needs and questions...He remembered conversations we had the weeks previous and would ask or remark about those. That made me feel important like he "really listened" to me...
The best part about [Long Island IVF East Patchogue] this practice is having so many locations. You are not "LOCKED IN" to any one location, so if you need to visit a different location for convenience with work, life, etc, you are able to do so. The clinic has a wonderful, organized system for their morning monitoring so they usually have you in and out in a timely fashion. The fact that they are 7 days 365, means you never miss any windows of opportunity...And, there are so many drs. in the practice, you can always get in to see one in an emergency...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
no advice is needed, except, to listen to whatever he suggests you do.
Dr. Pena was always warm and friendly. He remembered conversations we had the weeks previous and would ask or remark about those. That made me feel important like he "really listened" to me. The entire office is amazing and super warm. They always make you feel like you're the most important patient.
Dr. Pena started me with Clomid and suggested we start with IUI. We did two cycles unsuccessful, and upon reviewing my husbands sperm count, Dr. Pena recommended that we then move on to IVF. He wanted to try the IUI to be less invasive and to be a little proactive as long as we were willing to be patient with the process. We moved onto IVF with many other course of treatements.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Joanna (JOEY))
All of the nurses and staff are wonderful, caring people. They are super patient, even if you call asking the silliest questions. They explain your next step clearly and are always available via email or phone call to answer questions. Joey was extremely patient with me and my questions. Diane, the nurse/phlebotomist, was AMAZING and GOT MY VEIN EVERY TIME!! She never missed and it was NEVER painful.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
The best part about this practice is having so many locations. You are not "LOCKED IN" to any one location, so if you need to visit a different location for convenience with work, life, etc, you are able to do so. The clinic has a wonderful, organized system for their morning monitoring so they usually have you in and out in a timely fashion. The fact that they are 7 days 365, means you never miss any windows of opportunity...And, there are so many drs. in the practice, you can always get in to see one in an emergency.
As stated previously, the morning monitoring appointments ran like a "well oiled machine". There was a system, and it was the same at each location. It was a smooth process and was usually an in and out process. Because the process is the same at each location, it was easy for me to have my morning monitoring done at a location, other than my primary location, so that it was convenient for my work schedule.
Thanks to my AMAZING insurance, I paid for NOTHING related to my IUI or IVF except for my medications!! It is AMAZING.
East Patchogue

My first OB appointment my OB called this pregnancy a threatened miscarriage, offered me the abortion pill, expected me to miscarry before my next follow up 2 weeks later since the sac was empty. I informed Dr. Pena's office of the results. Dr. Pena had me come in only 4 days after my OB appointment and there I was able to see the baby, yolk sac and the heartbeat :-D I am so grateful he did this for me, I was able to relax and know the baby is ok!...
Best nursing staff [at Long Island IVF East Patchogue] I have ever had to deal with. They are on top of their game. They call same day with results. If you call them and need something, they call you right back with the answer. They are friendly and compassionate...Prepare to wake up very early for appointments! They take blood 6:30am-8am in Stonybrook and 7am-8:30am in Patchogue...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
As stated in my previous answer, he is easy to get in contact with. That is a HUGE PLUS! He is thorough and explains everything in a way you understand. You may feel overwhelmed from all the information but first visit, he gives you a plan of action. You leave with a printed copy of what to expect, what your next steps are, what tests you will need, etc. He does the sonograms himself. He is very easy to talk to. I don't have one negative thing to say. He is absolutely fantastic and I would recommend him to anyone having difficulty conceiving.
Check out his reviews. I have never seen a doctor with so many positive reviews in my life and now I understand why.
I love Dr. Pena. I wish I could continue seeing him my entire pregnancy. He gives you his email address in case you need him directly. I emailed him and received an auto response stating he was out of the office for the next week, so I figured I wouldn't hear back for a week. He emailed me back an hour later! I appreciated that so much and it definitely made me feel like I was being treated like a human. Also, I ended up getting pregnant naturally but he noticed my progesterone levels were low. He has prescribed me progesterone and has continued monitoring me until I'm out of the first trimester. He is listening to me and taking better care than my OB.
We started with a lot of blood work to check out my hormones, glucose and whatnot. Due to my glucose results, I was put on Metformin which I knew I needed for years but other doctors wouldn't listen. My husband did a semen analysis to make sure he wasn't having issues as well. His analysis was perfect. The next step for a dye test to check for any blockages in my tubes. It was then that they gave a pregnancy test to clear me for the HSG test and the results came back that I was already pregnant :) If I had not conceived on my own, the plan was to try Letrozole and IUI. The pregnancy test did show low progesterone levels so I came back for a follow up. the follow up showed my progesterone had lowered so he put me on Crinone 8% and has been checking on me since. My first OB appointment my OB called this pregnancy a threatened miscarriage, offered me the abortion pill, expected me to miscarry before my next follow up 2 weeks later since the sac was empty. I informed Dr. Pena's office of the results. Dr. Pena had me come in only 4 days after my OB appointment and there I was able to see the baby, yolk sac and the heartbeat :-D I am so grateful he did this for me, I was able to relax and know the baby is ok!
Best nursing staff I have ever had to deal with. They are on top of their game. They call same day with results. If you call them and need something, they call you right back with the answer. They are friendly and compassionate.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
Prepare to wake up very early for appointments! They take blood 6:30am-8am in Stonybrook and 7am-8:30am in Patchogue. I think this is so thoughtful! They understand that we also have full time jobs and a lot of us are 9-5 (or 8-4:30 as I am) so we aren't constantly missing work for follow ups.
Based on my insurance, the first $10k of infertility is covered. I have one $30 copay bill that just came in.
East Patchogue

He [Dr. Pena] was very honest and candid in his overview about the IUI procedure and outcomes, as well as the percentages. However, he did not fully discuss the specific details of the process should it succeed (which in this case it did on the first round), such as how often blood hormone levels were to be taken and monitored, and what each sonogram was specifically looking for. While these details may vary from case to case, it would have been nice to receive a rough idea of how often appointments would need to be scheduled and what each appointment would entail before the appointment was made...
Unfortunately, this clinic's office [Long Island IVF East Patchogue] staff were not as efficient as the Doctor or nurses. Paperwork was lost or misplaced. The fax machine was often not working, resulting in a delay in paperwork. The phone lines were also not working regularly, which made communication difficult. Even the billing procedure was not fully explained. When I asked for a copy of my file to bring to my regular OBGYN, I was denied...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
He was very honest and candid in his overview about the IUI procedure and outcomes, as well as the percentages. However, he did not fully discuss the specific details of the process should it succeed (which in this case it did on the first round), such as how often blood hormone levels were to be taken and monitored, and what each sonogram was specifically looking for. While these details may vary from case to case, it would have been nice to receive a rough idea of how often appointments would need to be scheduled and what each appointment would entail before the appointment was made.
Ask for specific details about the procedure being done, and be honest with him about your medical history.
He was very honest and up front with me.
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) was chosen as there was no obvious fertility problem, the HSG indicated no blockages, the female patient was ovulating regularly, and the males sperm count was high. Clomid was used to facilitate ovulation as well, in order to increase the chances of success. These procedures were successful upon the first round.
The nurses were professional, and efficient. Additinally, phlebotomists were able to easily draw blood upon their first try.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
Unfortunately, this clinic's office staff were not as efficient as the Doctor or nurses. Paperwork was lost or misplaced. The fax machine was often not working, resulting in a delay in paperwork. The phone lines were also not working regularly, which made communication difficult. Even the billing procedure was not fully explained. When I asked for a copy of my file to bring to my regular OBGYN, I was denied.
IUI was completely covered by insurance, with just c-pays being applied (at times).
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA Long Island IVF.
As previously stated, the office itself was inefficient. The fax machine was often broken or not working, the phone lines were down, and paperwork went missing. Billing procedures were not clearly explained, nor were they followed in any logical sense.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He [Dr. Pena] was always honest and straight forward with me which I definitely appreciated. I was very happy that he was there to do my egg retrieval. Despite infertility being a very difficult, emotionally draining process, I am grateful that I had such a wonderful doctor to help guide me through the process and help me to achieve my ultimate goal...motherhood...felt that Dr. Pena was compassionate yet straight forward and I appreciated that. I didn't feel like a number at all...
They [at Long Island IVF East Patchogue] are absolutely wonderful!!! They are all compassionate and everyone there really cares. I wouldn't have been able to hang in there if it wasn't for them! Peggy, Diane, Joey, Elizabeth, and Dr. Pena....I can't thank them enough!...The morning monitoring appointments easily fit into my schedule and even if it was busy, I rarely had to wait very long. I felt that appointments ran very smoothly and efficiently....
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena was excellent throughout this entire process. I only ended up having to do micro Ivf once and am very blessed that it worked on the first try. He was always honest and straight forward with me which I definitely appreciated. I was very happy that he was there to do my egg retrieval. Despite infertility being a very difficult, emotionally draining process, I am grateful that I had such a wonderful doctor to help guide me through the process and help me to achieve my ultimate goal...motherhood. There are no words to describe my appreciation for everything Dr. Pena has done for me.
I felt that Dr. Pena was compassionate yet straight forward and I appreciated that. I didn't feel like a number at all.
I first went to liivf in 2014 when I was 39 and I had diagnostic testing done on my husband and I. We we're thinking about adoption at the time also and actually didn't go back until September of 2015. I believe I was not ready for fertility treatments when I first went. When I went back, Dr. Pena and I discussed a plan of action and decided that after three iui treatments, if none resulted in pregnancy, I would do Ivf. After doing two iuis, I took a bit of a break after I had a polypectomy and d&c. I then did one more. After waiting a few more months I knew Ivf was the next step. I did micro Ivf in August of 2015 and am so blessed to finally be pregnant! I can not thank Dr. Pena enough for what he has helped to give me. I am so grateful to have had such a wonderful Doctor throughout this process. I can't say enough wonderful things about him!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Joanna falsom)
Everyone at the liivf patchogue location is an angel!!! I can not say enough wonderful things about them!
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
They are absolutely wonderful!!! They are all compassionate and everyone there really cares. I wouldn't have been able to hang in there if it wasn't for them! Peggy, Diane, Joey, Elizabeth, and Dr. Pena....I can't thank them enough!
When I first went in 2014 I had no coverage and everything, including diagnostic testing was out of pocket (a big reason I put it off for a little while and then went back in 2015). I had partial coverage for the iuis in 2015 under my insurance ($2,500.00 deductible which I met). For micro Ivf, I didnt have coverage (some medications were partially covered). It was $3,900.00 for the micro Ivf, $500 for the anesthesia, about $750.00 for the medications and $2,000.00 for the icsi.
East Patchogue

He [Dr. Pena] had a good bed side manner, he answered questions and explained things. We only saw him a fee times over all, for "big" appointments but he remembered us...He was nice and I'm formative I just felt like I never saw him, you would see him once a cycle maybe twice. Now that we are pregnant we see him for every appointment but that will only be a total of four times...He's a great doctor. But if you are expecting to see the doctor every time try a different place or maybe be more vocal about it when making appointments...
Multiple locations [at Long Island IVF East Patchogue], early office hours, but most apointments were first come first serve so you stoo a good chance of waiting an hour or more sometimes...All the girls in the office were nice l, my nurse was very I'm formative but not very personable she also seemed to be the office manager and perhaps the only nurse in that office so she was everyone's nurse...
European, Latino
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
He had a good bed side manner, he answered questions and explained things. We only saw him a fee times over all, for "big" appointments but he remembered us.
First 2 cycles were both iui with clomid, did a day 3 to 6 or 7 and then just monitored till ready to trigger, first round at 50mg and second at 75mg. Only had one or t folices each time. Then moved to ifv, type of cycle was never mentioned but did menopur, one vial a day and gonal f that started around 150 but changed up or down depending on blood work then added cetrotide toward the last few days, my e2 level was high so we did a combo Lupron hcg trigger. Then progesterone in oil estrogen and baby asprin after transfere
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
Multiple locations, early office hours, but most apointments were first come first serve so you stoo a good chance of waiting an hour or more sometimes
If you weren't the first person there you would be waiting an hour, and if it's on Wednesday your waiting an hour no matter what because dr. Peña does them and he doesn't come in at 7, closer to 8
My insurance covered most things so I had copays, and 2500 out of pocket for ivf, but I had several incidences where I was double billed and billed for things like sonograms that didn't happen. When I asked about it they showed me a sono with my name and the date in question on it but even the sono technician said she knows I didn't have one that day.

IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr. Pena and the staff made me feel like they were familiar with my record. They were all very supportive of my decisions and encouraging...He was very knowledgeable and confident. I felt comfortable with him. He had a good sense of humor too...
Everyone [at Long Island IVF East Patchogue] was so nice and supportive. The receptionist was very sweet and I never had an issue making appointments. One weakness is that the waiting area is relatively small so my advice is to get there early to get a seat for blood checks...Its a good idea to get there early, especially on Wednesday mornings as it can get quite crowded...
IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena was a wonderful doctor. He was very knowledgeable and confident. I felt comfortable with him. He had a good sense of humor too.
Dr. Pena could be vague at times and I would have to ask for clarification to make sure I understood what he said.
I believe my treatment was very standard. I went on birth control for three weeks before starting the injections. My retrieval went forward as scheduled. I was switched from a three-day to a five-day transfer. I went for regular blood and sonogram monitoring prior to my retrieval and after my beta test. I am currently 7 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Joanna "Joey" Falson)
My primary nurse was very good. She always answered my questions and never made me feel like I was taking up too much of her time. Joey was very business like - nice but very formal most of the time. The rest of the staff, the phlebotomist and any nurses covering for Joey were all very nice and helpful.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
I thought the clinic was great. Everyone was so nice and supportive. The receptionist was very sweet and I never had an issue making appointments. One weakness is that the waiting area is relatively small so my advice is to get there early to get a seat for blood checks.
All monitoring appointments were fine. Its a good idea to get there early, especially on Wednesday mornings as it can get quite crowded.
Due to my insurance and because the Long Island IVF is considered a center of excellence by my insurance company, I had no costs (with the exception of donor sperm) until I am became pregnant. Then it was the standard co-pay.

2011 - 2016
...If you didn't understand something or had a question he [Dr. Pena] took the time to explain it. His bedside manner is wonderful. He was a perfect fit for myself and my husband. We appreciate when we are told straight on what is wrong not beating around the bush...He would run into us in public and knew who we were. He is a great dr with the best bedside manner!...
The whole staff [at Long Island IVF East Patchogue] will make you feel like family. They have a tremendous amount of compassion!...They [nurses] always gave full directions and if you had a question they both answered with no hesitation. They were both a huge part of my cycles...The medication ordering or reordering went smoothly everytime. The whole entire staff was great...
2011 - 2016
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena is a great doctor. If you didn't understand something or had a question he took the time to explain it. His bedside manner is wonderful. He was a perfect fit for myself and my husband. We appreciate when we are told straight on what is wrong not beating around the bush.
Dr. Pena is going to be completely honest with you. If you are paying out of pocket he will not waste your money on procedures that are not warranted. You have to be open and willing to listen to his suggestions.
Dr Pena knew my name and my husbands name. He would run into us in public and knew who we were. He is a great dr with the best bedside manner!
All of my IVF cycles the medications I used were.... Follistim Menopur Progesterone in oil Estrace Baby aspirin Hcg as my trigger My dosages varied for each cycle. My IUI cycle medications were.... Clomid Follistim Don't remember the dosages
The ladies that I encountered were wonderful!!! Joey was my main nurse, however Jess would cover as well. They both were great! They always gave full directions and if you had a question they both answered with no hesitation. They were both a huge part of my cycles. They had great bedside manner! Diane the Phlebotomist/ medical assistant was awesome as well! She always made you feel comfortable! Her positive attitude kept you staying positive! Peggy the receptionist was a warm face to see when you walked in. She knew everyone by name. She would always make you feel at home. Liz the medication specialist was on top of it. The medication ordering or reordering went smoothly everytime. The whole entire staff was great. I honestly can't say enough about them.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
The whole staff will make you feel like family. They have a tremendous amount of compassion!
Monitoring was done between 7am-8am. I liked the early morning hours because I was in and out before I had to be in work. They called with results/instructions by 3pm.