Selling medication is not offered

52 Second Ave
Waltham, MA 02451
617-726-8868

2020, Unsuccessful
Barely spoke w/Dr Sabatini outside of initial consult and the call 1 month after I miscarried...I had a large fibroid in my uterine muscle that was protruding into my uterus. It was creating partial blockage of my left tube and taking up precious space in my uterus where implantation would likely occur. Every time I asked about it, Dr Sabatini said it was a non-issue. When I did get pregnant, the fibroid was blocking the ability to look at the gestational sac, the heartbeat, etc. The embryos were trapped between it & my uterine wall...
Not one Dr throughout my treatment [at Massachusetts General Hospital] seemed to even look at the chart before seeing me...[nurse was] Well organized, communications and specificity were terrific. She closed the gap between me and the doctors, I always felt well cared for...I called to say I was spotting, on-call didn't get back to me...When I left the clinic, getting my records was a DISASTER. They refused to fax, took weeks to process the request and sent incomplete records, requiring me to go through another round of requests...
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Great experience and very scientific, but as far as expertise with IVF, I don't know enough to comment. She was absent during my care except for the first and last appointment. My treatment was during COVID but there was no excuse for the lack of communication or follow-up. I was not impressed with this practice. I had a large fibroid in my uterine muscle that was protruding into my uterus. It was creating partial blockage of my left tube and taking up precious space in my uterus where implantation would likely occur. Every time I asked about it, Dr Sabatini said it was a non-issue. When I did get pregnant, the fibroid was blocking the ability to look at the gestational sac, the heartbeat, etc. The embryos were trapped between it & my uterine wall. It made appointments when I was pregnant a total nightmare. I saw 3 doctors after Dr Sabatini, all of whom could not believe the large fibroid inside my uterus was deemed "irrelevant" to my ability to get pregnant and none would have moved forward with a transfer until that was removed. I wasted my precious time & embryos at this facility. When I asked Dr Sabatini in my final visit what type of fibroid I had, she couldn't even tell me. It was bad. Would not recommend.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Find out how she will be involved and be prepared for coordinated care in the practice which might mean seeing doctors or students who are not familiar with your case so you have to repeat your history over & over again.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Barely spoke w/Dr Sabatini outside of initial consult and the call 1 month after I miscarried. Apparently she was on sabbatical during my treatment - that was never communicated. Not one Dr throughout my treatment seemed to even look at the chart before seeing me.
Describe the protocols Mary Sabatini used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
Antagonist protocol. Menopur/Gonal and the HcG trigger
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Strengths: part of MGH Opportunities: better coordinated care across the doctors, improved follow-up from staff (I was spotting and on call didn't call me back...nightmare), be more innovative in solutions, look at Boston IVF and take some best practices from them
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I cannot recall. I think $10-$15k for a retrieval & transfer
Describe Mary Sabatini's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Multiple embryo transfer for untested eggs if other factors like age were a consideration, was considered, though singleton was preferred & recommended
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
- Doc forgot to order the clomid challenge as part of my original workup, causing a delay in getting started,then Covid hit - I called to say I was spotting, on-call didn't get back to me - Never saw my doctor after initial visit nor did I have any sort of communication with her or ability to reach her or another doc when I had questions - Teaching hospital, the students are a mix of good & not so good. One student doing my ultrasound needed to wait for the doc in a procedure to look at my ultrasound to show her where the gestational sac was in my uterus and explain the presence of the corpus luteum b/c I was pregnant. Created a ton of stress for me waiting - really just unbelievable they didn't know that - When I left the clinic, getting my records was a DISASTER. They refused to fax, took weeks to process the request and sent incomplete records, requiring me to go through another round of requests - their delays resulted in a nearly 2-month delay in getting started with my new clinic b/c they needed blood, tests, etc and couldn't re-run those b/c insurance wouldn't approve - It took my doctor almost 1 month to connect with me after I miscarried. 1 month later, she finally made time for me. Total disgrace. - I was diagnosed w/a large fibroid inside the uterine cavity and they moved forward with transfer and assured me it was fine. I saw 2 RE specialists and my OB/GYN afterwards and they were appalled that any doctor would do a transfer based on size & location of the fibroid in the cavity. It was also partially blocking my tube, which came up in an early test and they still moved forward. Wasted my time & embryos. There was barely a note about it in my records, doctor couldn't even tell me the type of fibroid I had (my OB who examined me after the miscarriage knew in <2 seconds what type it was and explained why it needed to be removed to achieve pregnancy)
Boston

Dr sabatini took over my care when my initial doctor left. I met with her once via a video chat, never in person and never saw or spoke with her again after that conversation. During my cycle I had to bring up details of the cycle which should have been known and scheduled into our plan which in the end caused complications. The cycle ended in a miscarriage, I never received a follow up call or an appointment. There was no concern from her about my well being, no concern if medically I was ok or to discuss future steps to help make our family
I would not recommend [MGH - Boston] due to the outcome of my results and the non compassionate non existent care/ follow up concern received/ not received...Nurses were friendly for the most part. I did receive extra medication from the nurse while at an appointment due to the concern of possibly running out prior to my trigger shot ...Monitoring appointments were quick. Scheduled time was provided but I would often be seen early...
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I would not recommend her
Poor cycle planning. No follow up or concern for my well being or what steps to take post miscarriage
I do not remember which medications were used this cycle. There were no complications with the medications
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Kind and compassionate
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
I would not recommend due to the outcome of my results and the non compassionate non existent care/ follow up concern received/ not received. I did not feel like my individual case and situation was carefully reviewed or planned out. Nurses were friendly for the most part. I did receive extra medication from the nurse while at an appointment due to the concern of possibly running out prior to my trigger shot .
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Massachusetts General Hospital.
More expensive than previous clinics used. My husband and I are both currently on a payment plan and still owe $4,000
Despite previous failed results we were allowed to transfer only 2 embryos and The remaining embryos were not able to be frozen

2014 - 2017, Unsuccessful
When I see Dr Styer he has a lot of patience, compassion, and answers all questions fully. I wish we had done some of the tests he recently ordered sooner in the process but really that is my only complaint...Dr. Styer is often too busy given his schedule that I only speak with him at the end of IUI/IVF...Initially Dr Styer wanted me to try IVF but we were looking for the least invasive option. It seemed like it was more our decision than his recommendation that took precedence at that time.
It seems that they [MGH] are very busy and at sometimes disorganized. They are always running a little late and I often do not get phone calls back...When I'm traveling, I have a hard time getting in touch with the nurses to get in touch with medication implications. Also during an IUI, I had a very upsetting appointment where I was waiting so long I was nervous that the thawed sperm was impacted...
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He is difficult to schedule time with so be sure you do it far in advance.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I have had problems getting the medication straight and people to call me back in a timely fashion. Also I have had to come back for blood draw that I could have the day before when I was there. Dr. Styer is often too busy given his schedule that I only speak with him at the end of IUI/IVF.
Describe the protocols Aaron K. Styer used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
Initially Dr Styer wanted me to try IVF but we were looking for the least invasive option. It seemed like it was more our decision than his recommendation that took precedence at that time. Since getting to IVF, he recommended ICSI and he was very familiar with our past as to what he felt was best emotionally for us. Due to insurance/our past history, we tried one embryo (Day 5 transfer) which did not work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl)
When I can get in touch with the nurses on the phone (which is difficult to do) they are very caring. They are very friendly and helpful when I'm in the office.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
It seems that they are very busy and at sometimes disorganized. They are always running a little late and I often do not get phone calls back.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Expensive especially when paying out of pocket.
Describe Aaron K. Styer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I have not had a multiple embryo transfer yet but hope to next cycle.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
When I'm traveling, I have a hard time getting in touch with the nurses to get in touch with medication implications. Also during an IUI, I had a very upsetting appointment where I was waiting so long I was nervous that the thawed sperm was impacted. Being hormonal, I was crying when they were doing the IUI which is not the right frame of mind. They said they have since updated the processes which I struggled with.
Aaron K. Styer
Boston

Dr Souter was always very upfront and positive with us. We had had lots of frustration before (a failed pregnancy and multiple failed IUIs, one failed IVF) and were grateful to start anew with her...We had been utilizing Dr Styer and I moved to Dr Souter. Personality wise, I just cliqued with Irene better. My husband liked both. After multiple failed IUIs, I just needed to change something up and moving clinics felt like a huge undertaking. Irene was like a breath of fresh air I needed.
MGH had recommendations on how many to use [Eset] given how many times we had tried and my age. We elected for one both times...I often had to inquire if they had forgotten me because they were running so late...You do not see the same nurse, although all were compassionate...I felt getting responses back from nurses before they closed was always a huge undertaking. And oftentimes, you need the medication called in before a certain time. The experience was very stressful for me. It seemed that they were understaffed.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Stay positive!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the protocols Irene Souter used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
I don't remember exactly but this was our final IVF shot before I moved clinics. The retrieval went well this time and I knew that the transfer was good, the doctor who did it exclaimed it went really well and felt it had a great chance. This positivity helped me as well thinking things went well.
You do not see the same nurse, although all were compassionate. Often MGH is running late and getting there with traffic and work is a stressful experience.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Traffic, parking, and tardiness were a constant with MGH for me. At the time we were living in Brookline so not too far away but I came to despise going to the hospital in the mornings. The earlier appointment the better as less people have been given the chance to be late and push back appointments. I always felt that the person working behind the desk (there was some turnover) was not always the friendliest and sometimes not organized. I often had to inquire if they had forgotten me because they were running so late.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Our insurance didn't cover any treatments.
Describe Irene Souter's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
MGH had recommendations on how many to use given how many times we had tried and my age. We elected for one both times.
Irene Souter

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Petrozza] explained our issues in detail, explained the risks, and really understood our goals. But as soon as the process started he fell off the radar. I never saw him for any of my check in ultrasounds, he didn't do my retrieval, and then sat on genetic test results for two weeks. I felt like we got sold a personable bill of goods and then was just another number in the pile...
If I called [MGH - Boston] I had to leave a message for her and she would call me back. It was frustrating because the entire process was never really explained to us, we dealt with insurance issues which never got resolved and everything frustrated me. I'm a fairly smart human being and they made me feel stupid for asking questions. When I said I wanted a class on injections they told me to keep watching the videos until I got it.
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
As the head of the clinic I thought he was fabulous and he was also great to us in the beginning of our process. He explained our issues in detail, explained the risks, and really understood our goals. But as soon as the process started he fell off the radar. I never saw him for any of my check in ultrasounds, he didn't do my retrieval, and then sat on genetic test results for two weeks. I felt like we got sold a personable bill of goods and then was just another number in the pile.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Be aware that you won't see him during the process and that you'll be dealing with his assistant and other Dr's throughout.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I barely saw my Dr during the process, which I guess is not unusual when there are several Dr's in a practice and they rotate days. The one issue I had with him is that he sat on my genetic testing results for 2 weeks before giving them to me. It was the longest two weeks of my life. And then zero empathy when he relayed that no embryos were viable and all had genetic issues.
Describe the protocols John Petrozza used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
ivf with ICSI. I'm sorry I don't remember the details
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Carol H. )
My main point of contact was Carol. If I called I had to leave a message for her and she would call me back. It was frustrating because the entire process was never really explained to us, we dealt with insurance issues which never got resolved and everything frustrated me. I'm a fairly smart human being and they made me feel stupid for asking questions. When I said I wanted a class on injections they told me to keep watching the videos until I got it.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
They get you in, the process is set up but you're a number and it's a business to them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital.
10000+ with genetic testing
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Delay in relaying protocol, I had asked for an overview as a first time IVF patient and was basically told that I needed to wait until they were ready to talk to me. Dr failed to relay genetic test results in a prompt manner. Insurance coverage was misleading as was payment options. Unclear communication as to when to start the pill at the beginning of my cycle which took 3 phone calls to straighten out.
John Petrozza
Boston

My IVF cycle was cancelled. I suggested perhaps I just can't tolerate high levels of gonadotropins but Dr P [Dr. Petrozza] insisted this is "impossible" and said my next cycle should be flare not antagonist with again 450 Gonal F. I got no sense that he wanted to figure out what went wrong...he has a very bad bedside manner. Delivers things like "IVF just might not work for you" with absolutely no sympathy ...
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
As stated earlier, he has a very blunt bedside manner. Generally, I want a competent not nice doctor. I'm not sure he is either, at least if you have DOR. Zero sympathy, zero optimism (even when docs at other clinics were like "I don't even know that you have DOR") .... also, after that first appointment, he disappears
Go with him if you have a straightforward case and not DOR.... do not expect him to have a "hmmm how interesting let's see why this odd response happened" approach
I think MGH is very poor for treating diminished ovarian reserve. I had a very strange situation happen, which is that I responded well to clomid and low doses of Gonal F (eg 75 and 112), like getting 3 eggs, but at high doses (eg 450)--which is what they insisted i needed for IVF--my body shut down and I had 0 follicles grow. My IVF cycle was cancelled. I suggested perhaps I just can't tolerate high levels of gonadotropins but Dr P insisted this is "impossible" and said my next cycle should be flare not antagonist with again 450 Gonal F. I got no sense that he wanted to figure out what went wrong. i was clearly a number. and btw, he has a very bad bedside manner. Delivers things like "IVF just might not work for you" with absolutely no sympathy ... bear in mind my AMH is over 2, I naturally conceived a child 2 years ago, etc. Again, no desire to problem solve. they want you in and out. If you are an easy/textbook case, that's fine. But if you are a puzzling case, I see no indication you're going to get attention at MGH.
antagonist protocol IVF with no suppression
often running late
insurance co=pays only
John Petrozza
2012 - 2014, Unsuccessful
We had 3 failed IVFs with her [Dr. Souter] all using the same protocol. I suggested using a different protocol several times and she indicated that my current protocol was the one they always use for patients with PCOS... I think Dr. Souter is generally a good physician... Appointments with Dr. Souter sometimes seemed rushed and it was clear she didn't review my chart before my appointments.
MGH has a ton of experience with IVf... Dr. Souter works with a team of physicians who coordinate each patients care... The nurses are really on top of things. They are very knowledgeable and able to answer just about any question you throw at them... The monitoring here was pretty efficient but there were times where you felt like cattle.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Strengths: MGH has a ton of experience with IVf and some of the best stats in the state. Dr. Souter works with a team of physicians who coordinate each patients care. Weaknesses: Dr. Souter sees a ton of patients so it can sometimes feel like you're just a number. She also seems to rely on standard MGH protocols so much so that she is unwilling to consider each individual patient's situation.
I think Dr. Souter is generally a good physician. I would just caution prospective patients to get a second opinion if you have several failed IVFs because she seems resitant to protocol change.
Appointments with Dr. Souter sometimes seemed rushed and it was clear she didn't review my chart before my appointments. She was also late for several appointments. I distinctly remember one time we had an appointment with her and she was almost 45 minutes late even though we were the first appointment after lunch. The nurse told us she had car trouble and would be late. When we finally got into her office there was a piece of cake on a paper plate....aka she went to a party or lunch and failed to return on time. This was an appointment where we were supposed to discuss a failed IVF. It made me feel like our loss was unimportant and didn't matter. Another issue I had with Dr. Souter is that she didn't seem to listen to my opinion. We had 3 failed IVFs with her all using the same protocol. I suggested using a different protocol several times and she indicated that my current protocol was the one they always use for patients with PCOS. I later tried the other protocol with a different physician and my egg quality was amazing. One saving grace here is that the nurses were wonderful. While it's almost impossible to get a hold of them without having to leave a message, they are very compassionate and always on the ball.
I did the long lupron protocol for both IVFs with Dr. Souter. I have PCOS and I kept inching towards overresponding with each IVF. I never had good egg quality and none of my embryos made it to blast.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Pam)
The nurses are really on top of things. They are very knowledgble and able to answer just about any question you throw at them.
The monitoring here was pretty efficient but there were times where you felt like cattle. Unfortunately I think this just illustrates the ebb and flow of a large IVF clinic.
I was very luck and my IVFs were covered 100% by insurance.
Irene Souter
Boston

Dr Styer was compassionate and a nice doctor. He didn't try any alternative protocols like they did at Boston IVF where I retrieved 8 times the number of eggs. I liked Dr Styer personally but he didn't spend the time to try other protocols...Cheryl was wonderful and compassionate. I loved her. The other nurse was more gruff and not helpful in terms of explaining injections or any part of the process. I can't remember her name but I was less than happy when I would see her at visits
I would go to MGH is you are young and have unexplained fertility. If you are over 37 I would go to Boston IVF or the Sher fertility clinic in NYC. MGH seems less motivated to treat older women creatively compared to other clinics...Cheryl was wonderful and compassionate. I loved her. The other nurse was more gruff and not helpful in terms of explaining injections or any part of the process. I can't remember her name but I was less than happy when I would see her at visits
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
To try to investigate other options before suggesting donor eggs automatically
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: cheryl)
About $15,000.00 out of pocket
I wish they had explained options to me such as embryo freezing a year before my treatment when I first visited for information that would have been a decision I would have made earlier or even that financing was available given I was paying out of pocket and it took me a year to save the 12K
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic didn't explain any other options beyond fresh transfer. They weren't willing to try other protocols or get to the route of my hormone imbalance like Boston IVF did
Aaron K. Styer
2013 - 2014, Unknown Success
Doctor Shifren is very compassionate and caring, but there is a point in which her demeanor is almost too sensitive that felt like I was a baby myself. I got to see her a lot though, which is comforting....Dr. Shifren and team agreed to giving me one try at IVF with my own eggs due to DOR/poor egg quality. Needed a salpingectomy, then started an aggressive Lupron Flare protocol.
There were monitoring hours [at MGH Fertility] but you made an appointment. It was very well run and efficient. The best part was, you were almost always monitored by a doctor who would tell you what was happening while you were there. You would still get a call later from a nurse with instructions, but at the monitoring appointment, you would know how things were progressing. No anxious waiting involved.
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Doctor Shiffren is very compassionate and caring, but there is a point in which her demeanor is almost too sensitive that felt like I was a baby myself. I got to see her a lot though, which is comforting.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
If you prefer a very gentle and coddling personality, she's definitely for you. If you're more straightforward and "down to business," I recommend another doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Shiffren and team were very warm but it was clear decisions were based on published statistics that make the clinic "successful."
Describe the protocols Jan Shifren used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
Dr. Shiffren and team agreed to giving me one try at IVF with my own eggs due to DOR/poor egg quality. Needed a salpingectomy, then started an aggressive Lupron Flare protocol.
Awesome!
Well run and efficient.
There were monitoring hours but you made an appointment. It was very well run and efficient. The best part was, you were almost always monitored by a doctor who would tell you what was happening while you were there. You would still get a call later from a nurse with instructions, but at the monitoring appointment, you would know how things were progressing. No anxious waiting involved.
Jan Shifren
2013 - 2015, Unsuccessful
The first IUI was great, a lot of information, timely detailed instructions. This second IUI (was suppose to be IVF) was confusing, received mismatching information from nurses, and generally was made to feel that they didn't really care about the outcome.
Danvers