Selling medication is not offered

52 Second Ave
Waltham, MA 02451
617-726-8868

2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Sabatini is compassionate while also being direct and sharing the facts. She works out a plan for you to follow on your journey with positivity the entire way. She used to talk to us as if having a baby was a certainty, not a possibility. She made us optimistic. We trusted her guidance and she led us to the best outcome possible- a beautiful daughter and frozen embryos for the future. We owe our daughter- our family- to her...Ask her questions, she will be happy to answer...my ivf cycles were quite straight forward- my follicles grew well and many were retrieved. Nonetheless, she made me aware of all possibilities and what would happen in different scenarios.
During our second retrieval [at Massachusetts General Hospital], our nurse, Cathy, failed to call us to tell us how many embryos were successfully fertilized and whether or not we were to start progesterone...We ended up having to call the doctor on call after hours, who had to find our file and then share with us the good news that we had embryos fertilized and to start progesterone...The techs are wonderful! Always upbeat during scans and the nurses who drew my blood were always sweet and caring. The office itself runs smoothly, appointments were always on time, and I looked forward to seeing all of Sabatini’s staff (besides Cathy, who I usually only spoke to on the phone).
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Trust her. Know that she has your best interests in mind. Ask her questions, she will be happy to answer. Contact her office with any concerns you have. Believe in her optimism.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Sabatini learned about us as a couple and cared about what we were going through. While she was compassionate, she was also direct and helped us to see where we stood and where we needed to go.
Describe the protocols Mary Sabatini used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
Dr. Sabatini’s office is very experienced and knows what they’re doing. Each scan will lead them to direct your medications accordingly, know that they are making changes as needed. We were very lucky and my ivf cycles were quite straight forward- my follicles grew well and many were retrieved. Nonetheless, she made me aware of all possibilities and what would happen in different scenarios.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cathy (can’t remember last name))
If you end up working with Cathy, Dr. Sabatini’s nurse, know to have a tough skin. Cathy wasn’t always pleasant and often seemed annoyed by questions. She isn’t especially personable and seems to lack empathy. She also didn’t always call when she was supposed to. She sometimes came across as straight up rude. We put up with her because of how much we liked Dr. Sabatini, but if we’d had a choice, we would not have chosen to work with her.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital.
We had insurance for our first cycles, but our frozen cycle was uninsured. It was quite expensive, at least $4,000-$6,000.
Describe Mary Sabatini's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Dr. Sabatini was an advocate for transferring a single embryo in our cycles, as our embryos were of high quality. We understand her reasoning behind this, as multiples can be more risky.
What specific things went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
During our second retrieval, our nurse, Cathy, failed to call us to tell us how many embryos were successfully fertilized and whether or not we were to start progesterone. We tried calling the clinic in the afternoon to inquire, and the receptionist said that they had until the end of the day to call us and that Cathy would. We waited, and she never did. The next time we called to get our embryo fertilization results, the office was closed. We were very upset, as we had no update and didn’t know if we should start progesterone. We ended up having to call the doctor on call after hours, who had to find our file and then share with us the good news that we had embryos fertilized and to start progesterone.
Danvers
We found Dr. Sabatini very caring and knowledgable. At our first several visits, she explained in detail our issues and advised of next steps (IVF) and the process. As we progressed further into the cycle, we were seen by various drs on the staff and that is where we ran into issues. We often left these appts feeling confused/uninformed and that no-one was "managing" our care.
Many of the procedures/appointments were with other members of the MGH staff and we were not pleased with the level of patient care with the other staff. We often left appointments where we felt uninformed about the next step and procedures we not explained.... We worked with various nurses throughout the process. During the monitoring phase, speaking to multiple nurses was not an issue. However, when we started experiencing issues after miscarriage it was challenging because we had to recap our situation each time we spoke to someone.
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Schedule all appointments directly with Dr. Sabatini if at all possible
Dr. Sabatini seemed very kind and appeared genuinely invested in our outcome, however, we had limited visits with her. Many of the procedures/appointments were with other members of the MGH staff and we were not pleased with the level of patient care with the other staff. We often left appointments where we felt uninformed about the next step and procedures we not explained. Again, we truly felt Dr. Sabatini was caring but as an MGH fertility patient, you are not always seen by your primary doctor.
Our treatment was IVF with ICSI and PGS testing. We went straight to this treatment due to advanced age and male factor infertility (morphology). Treatment resulted in pregnancy but subsequent miscarriage. Reason for miscarriage unknown.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
We were very pleased with our Dr but were not impressed with how the overall clinic was run. We had several issues with scheduling appointments, long wait times between appointments, oftentimes could not communicate directly with our doctor, and clinic staff was not as responsive as we would have liked.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Souter is direct, no-nonsense and matter-of-fact, which I liked. She's pleasant enough, but not super warm and fuzzy if that's what you're looking for. I saw her a couple times before starting my IUIs, but will not see her again until I have done six unsuccessful IUIs (at which time I am eligible for IVF)...If you want a straight shooter, you'll probably like Dr. Souter....For IUIs, I never saw my doctor (the nurses did the IUIs), but they were all warm and pleasant. For ultrasounds, I would see the fertility doctor on call (there are several).
In general, the nursing staff at the MGH Fertility Center have been pleasant. They have done all my IUIs, and I have interacted with them the most throughout my course of treatment. I have had a few negative experiences with Pam, Dr. Souter's primary nurse. She seems a bit scatter-brained, and once left me a voicemail about someone else's test results! She also never remembers my situation or course of treatment, so I always have to explain it to her each time we talk...Strengths: Top success rates in Boston, part of one of the country's best hospitals. Weaknesses: It doesn't always feel very personal.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
If you want a straight shooter, you'll probably like Dr. Souter.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
The MGH Fertility Center is part of a large hospital and sees many patients, so they have many systems and routines for patients. For IUIs, I never saw my doctor (the nurses did the IUIs), but they were all warm and pleasant. For ultrasounds, I would see the fertility doctor on call (there are several). So far, I don't have anything negative to say about any of the doctors that i have seen. When you call the fertility center about something, they take your number and you have to wait for a call back from a nurse.
Describe the protocols Irene Souter used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
So far, I have done four unsuccessful IUIs. Given my situation, I have to do six IUIs unsuccessfully before my insurance will cover IVF -- so that is the treatment plan I am currently on. I am doing natural cycle IUIs (no medication) with ultrasound monitoring and a trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Pam)
In general, the nursing staff at the MGH Fertility Center have been pleasant. They have done all my IUIs, and I have interacted with them the most throughout my course of treatment. I have had a few negative experiences with Pam, Dr. Souter's primary nurse. She seems a bit scatter-brained, and once left me a voicemail about someone else's test results! She also never remembers my situation or course of treatment, so I always have to explain it to her each time we talk. Perhaps that's part of being seen at a larger hospital-based clinic.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital.
IUIs are $880 each. My medications and ultrasounds were covered by my insurance, as were my office visits.
Irene Souter

2015 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Styer always seemed genuinely pleased to see me/us. Even if I was just there for blood work or an ultrasound and he saw me in the waiting room he'd come by to say hello. He was thorough and his explanations and thoughts on treatment seemed to be thoughtful and based on research.... We used an antagonist protocol. After a failed fresh transfer and an FET that ended at 8 weeks in a miscarriage, we asked Dr. Styer about PGS testing for the remaining two frozen embryos. He agreed, and the next PGS-tested FET embryo was a success.
MGH is a busy clinic and you won't always get to see Dr. Styer for ultrasounds or routine visits, or even perhaps your transfer. If it's important to you that you stick with one doctor, a smaller clinic might be the way to go.... MGH was professional, organized, clean, new. It was also busy, the phlebotomists were occasionally surly as was the front desk staff (some were great though), and it's in downtown Boston, which presents its own challenges.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Styer was great at in-person meetings. His demeanor was warm and inviting and he asked multiple times if I had any questions about any of the results he discussed with me and my husband.
Describe the protocols Aaron K. Styer used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl)
Cheryl was great during in-person meetings and setting up cycle calendars. She was not easy to get hold of any other time, as she didn't email. It was usually an on-call nurse that would get back to me when I called with questions, unless it was something directly related to my treatment plan.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
My insurance luckily covered everything except the deductible and the co-pay for the pharmacy costs.
Aaron K. Styer

2015, Unknown Success
I really liked Dr. Sabatini. She could be brusque, as she was seeing a lot of people, so at times I felt like our conversations were hurried, and I would be out the door and into the nurse's office before I knew what had hit me. I went to her largely for a diagnosis after 2 1/2 years of not getting pregnant on my own. I have out of state insurance, however, so for actual treatment I will have to see someone else. But I thought Dr. Sabatini was brilliant, friendly, nonjudgmental, was easily reachable by email, and had great ideas for how to proceed. I'm sorry not to be working with her the whole way through...I wound up just seeing her for diagnosis, and she diagnosed me as unexplained. I wasn't ready for IVF, and so she suggested we first stimulate my ovulation and time intercourse, seeing how that went before moving on to something more advanced. At every stage she was respectful of my wanting a conservative, noninvasive approach, and honest with me about the odds of success. I did not do stimulation with her in the end, instead opting to try to conceive naturally for a little while longer (I was unsuccessful)...
Do your homework ahead of time so that you can ask questions and really retain the answers. In retrospect I wish I had made my partner come along to most of the appointments with me, so that there were two of us listening to what she told us and not just me...
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Truthfully, I kind of wish Dr. Sabatini would be my friend. She's smart, funny, and was respectful about my feelings of ambivalence, worry, hesitation about invasive procedures, and other wimpishness on my part. I saw her at every visit. I underwent a few different diagnostic procedures, including imaging in which Dr. Sabatini pronounced my ovaries and uterus "beautiful," which I thought was hilarious. She diagnosed me in the end with unexplained in fertility and a not serious fibroid, and her suggestion was that we stimulate me and rather than try IUI that we have timed intercourse at home, very respectful of my desire to be as minimally interfered with as possible. If I lived full time in Massachusetts, and MGH Danvers were in-network for my insurance, I absolutely would have continued seeing her.
Overall I spent about $3K out of pocket for all the testing and diagnostic work. I forget how much insurance paid, but it wasn't much, as the clinic was out of network.
2009 - 2010, Successful
He came across as very detached. While matter-of-fact can be ok, he communicated in a way that made me feel less than human - like he had a protocol he followed and who I was, how I felt, etc was pretty irrelevant. Ultimately, I got what I wanted: I became pregnant after two rounds of IUI... However, he did very little to make what is already a horrible experience any more bearable.
He [Dr. Petrozza] came across as very detached. While matter-of-fact can be ok, he communicated in a way that made me feel less than human - like he had a protocol he followed and who I was, how I felt, etc was pretty irrelevant. Ultimately, I got what I wanted: I became pregnant after two rounds of IUI... However, he did very little to make what is already a horrible experience any more bearable.
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Ultimately, I got what I wanted: I became pregnant after two rounds of IUI. For that reason I wouldn't discourage friends from going to Dr Petrozza and I will always feel grateful for his help. However, he did very little to make what is already a horrible experience any more bearable. He came across as fairly cold and detached, which I wasn't completely bothered by. He actually would reintroduce himself at every appointment as if we had never met, which was almost funny. My real difficulty with him happened when I opted not to do a vaccine that he was pushing me to get (something that would have delayed my treatment months, I did after careful consideration and consulting a highly respected infectious disease MD) I was horrified by the way he treated me. He was belittling and not in the least compassionate. Luckily, he didn't remember who I was at my next appointment. I had a friend who had a very similar experience with him. She did say when she went back to see him to have a second child, his bedside manner had improved dramatically, almost to the point where she wondered if he had gotten negative feedback and was making a serious effort to be more personable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
As much as you can, try to go into your interactions with him with your own sense of detachment. As emotional as the process is, try to look at him as a vehicle to get where you're trying to go. Ultimately, he's a surgeon who can perform a procedure that you may need.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr Petrozza's bedside manner was generally horrible. He came across as very detached. While matter-of-fact can be ok, he communicated in a way that made me feel less than human - like he had a protocol he followed and who I was, how I felt, etc was pretty irrelevant.
John Petrozza
2014, Successful
He was upfront and honest with us about the need to use a donor egg and ICSI, after two failed IVF's with colleagues in his clinic, he would have moved forward with our own embryo's if we wanted by he painted a realist picture of what our success rate would be 0.5%
His [Dr. Petrozza 's] staff made us feel more human, we rarely saw him. Julie was the donor coordinator and she took care of everything for us; we couldn't have been more happy with her. the staff nurses who assisted during the transfer were also wonderful.
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
ask a lot of question and understand WHY you're not able to conceive. Knowing why your not getting pregnant will help you be able to make decisions about topics you haven't considered yet, like donor egg
his staff made us feel more human, we rarely saw him
Describe the protocols John Petrozza used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
we used a donor egg, so I felt less in control of the process. he had a clear roadmap of donor egg cycles to get me to feel comfortable with what this cycle would be like compared to my other two unsuccessful cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Julie Gold)
teaching hospital based clinic
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital.
the first two cycles were covered by insurance, the donor egg cycle cost of $25000.00 out of pocket
What specific things went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
the blood lab accidently threw out my blood sample when discarding the used needle in the sharps container and had to redraw the sample for the pregnancy test. I had to call to get results, they only make call backs at the end of the day, but the results were sitting in their office from 8am that morning.
John Petrozza