Selling medication is not offered

Waltham
52 Second Ave
Waltham, MA 02451
617-726-8868

Dr. Souter always had our information in front of her and could recall our treatment plan. It’s clear she sees a lot of patients, but she took the time to look at our file before any appointments...don’t be afraid to slow her down and ask questions. She will gladly explain things if you ask...Dr. Souter herself was fine at caring for me as a member of the LGBTQ community. She treated me just like she would treat anyone else
The nurses vary. Most of them are excellent, very compassionate, take the time to answer your questions, etc. The thing is that it’s sort of like an assembly line here...It was easy to transfer my donor sperm to the clinic from the Cryobank...MGH needs to improve its treatment for LGBTQ patients by making the process more inclusive and training staff on how to work with LGBTQ patients. The phlebotomy team and front desk staff need a better process for alerting them of which patients are waiting for blood draws
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Souter is very straightforward and clearly extremely knowledgeable about her field of work. You get the sense that she could do this job in her sleep from the way she can easily rattle off information and decide on the best treatment plans. She’s not going to coddle you or hold your hand, but she’s amazing at her job and knows how to do it well. Whenever we had setbacks she remained very optimistic and that was really helpful. She didn’t perform any of our actual procedures, as that gets done by whichever doctor is on call.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Souter talks fast because she knows what she’s doing, but sometimes she might not realize that YOU don’t know what you’re doing. So don’t be afraid to slow her down and ask questions. She will gladly explain things if you ask.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the protocols Irene Souter used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
We did an egg retrieval (6 embryos) followed by a fresh transfer. This resulted in an ectopic pregnancy. After that, we did a modified natural cycle ending in a frozen transfer, which resulted in successful pregnancy.
How competent was Irene Souter at LGBTQ care?
Dr. Souter herself was fine at caring for me as a member of the LGBTQ community. She treated me just like she would treat anyone else, and I didn’t feel like the fact that I’m gay affected my treatment with her. However, MGH as a whole needs improvement with LGBTQ care. Many of their forms still contain heteronormative/gendered language, many staff members assumed I had a husband, and my information was even mixed up with my wife’s on occasion.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Kaitlin )
The nurses vary. Most of them are excellent, very compassionate, take the time to answer your questions, etc. The thing is that it’s sort of like an assembly line here. They do this day in and day out and I think it can be easy to lose your individuality in the shuffle. They are very responsive to questions via patient gateway. Also, only a few of the nurses are good at drawing blood.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
MGH needs to improve its treatment for LGBTQ patients by making the process more inclusive and training staff on how to work with LGBTQ patients. The phlebotomy team and front desk staff need a better process for alerting them of which patients are waiting for blood draws. Staff who perform ultrasounds should take the time to verbalize to the patient what they’re seeing. All that being said, it’s MGH - meaning it’s top quality in terms of actual procedures and results.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital.
My insurance covered IVF because I had first done 6 unsuccessful IUI’s. I did have to pay some for the medication and testing. It’s very expensive.
How competent was Massachusetts General Hospital at LGBTQ care?
Everyone was nice and didn’t make a big deal about me being gay, but I wouldn’t say they were entirely knowledgeable about the needs of LGBTQ people. It can be a very heteronormative process.
Describe your experience using 3rd party reproduction (donor eggs, donor sperm, or gestational carrier) at Massachusetts General Hospital.
It was easy to transfer my donor sperm to the clinic from the Cryobank. But the storage fees to keep it at MGH are very expensive. And the process to transfer it back to the Cryobank is a bit more annoying.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
MGH once confused me with my wife because we are both women with similar names. In doing this, they ordered blood tests for her that were actually meant for me. It led to unnecessary bloodwork for her and a huge snafu with the billing department trying to get the charges for those tests waived. The interactions with the billing department were terrible and frustrating.

2020 - 2022, Unsuccessful
Doctor Attaman is really compassionate and takes her time to explain her approach to treatment...Though I didn’t get the results expected, I trust Dr Attaman’s judgment and the way she managed my expectations. We found some fibroids in the end, I am not sure what could have been done to discover those earlier as I believe these are responsible for the failures of my IUIs.
I have never had a bad experience at the [Massachusetts General Hospital] clinic. Everybody was always cordial and compassionate. The front desk staff never have an attitude as I have experienced in some other clinics and they really try to accommodate my needs. Also, you never have to wait very long to be seen which is always a plus in my book...Everybody was always kind and compassionate. There could sometimes be a slight delay in communication but as far as I am concerned nothing ever fell through the cracks. So overall I am satisfied with the level of care I received
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jill Attaman at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Manage your expectations and handle failure with a positive mindset
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jill Attaman at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the protocols Jill Attaman used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
We started with medicated cycles with CLOMID and Ovidrel for IUIs based on my age. Dr Attaman decided that time was of the essence since I had turned 40. I was referred to a MFM specialist to assess risks based on age and medical conditions. Unfortunately all IUIS were unsuccessful and Dr Attaman was thinking on switching to IVF when some fibroids were discovered inside of the uterus cavity likely to require removal before proceeding with treatments. Scheduled to see a reproductive surgeon in May 2022.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Everybody was always kind and compassionate. There could sometimes be a slight delay in communication but as far as I am concerned nothing ever fell through the cracks. So overall I am satisfied with the level of care I received.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
I have never had a bad experience at the clinic. Everybody was always cordial and compassionate. The front desk staff never have an attitude as I have experienced in some other clinics and they really try to accommodate my needs. Also, you never have to wait very long to be seen which is always a plus in my book 😀
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jill Attaman at Massachusetts General Hospital.
My health insurance pays for clinic visits and test. All other procedures or treatments were out of pocket. For example, the cost for one IUI Procedure would be about $1000 for the donor sperm and $1000 for clinical fee.
Describe Jill Attaman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Jill Attaman

2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Sabatini is compassionate while also being direct and sharing the facts. She works out a plan for you to follow on your journey with positivity the entire way. She used to talk to us as if having a baby was a certainty, not a possibility. She made us optimistic. We trusted her guidance and she led us to the best outcome possible- a beautiful daughter and frozen embryos for the future. We owe our daughter- our family- to her...Ask her questions, she will be happy to answer...my ivf cycles were quite straight forward- my follicles grew well and many were retrieved. Nonetheless, she made me aware of all possibilities and what would happen in different scenarios.
During our second retrieval [at Massachusetts General Hospital], our nurse, Cathy, failed to call us to tell us how many embryos were successfully fertilized and whether or not we were to start progesterone...We ended up having to call the doctor on call after hours, who had to find our file and then share with us the good news that we had embryos fertilized and to start progesterone...The techs are wonderful! Always upbeat during scans and the nurses who drew my blood were always sweet and caring. The office itself runs smoothly, appointments were always on time, and I looked forward to seeing all of Sabatini’s staff (besides Cathy, who I usually only spoke to on the phone).
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Trust her. Know that she has your best interests in mind. Ask her questions, she will be happy to answer. Contact her office with any concerns you have. Believe in her optimism.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Sabatini learned about us as a couple and cared about what we were going through. While she was compassionate, she was also direct and helped us to see where we stood and where we needed to go.
Describe the protocols Mary Sabatini Morris used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
Dr. Sabatini’s office is very experienced and knows what they’re doing. Each scan will lead them to direct your medications accordingly, know that they are making changes as needed. We were very lucky and my ivf cycles were quite straight forward- my follicles grew well and many were retrieved. Nonetheless, she made me aware of all possibilities and what would happen in different scenarios.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cathy (can’t remember last name))
If you end up working with Cathy, Dr. Sabatini’s nurse, know to have a tough skin. Cathy wasn’t always pleasant and often seemed annoyed by questions. She isn’t especially personable and seems to lack empathy. She also didn’t always call when she was supposed to. She sometimes came across as straight up rude. We put up with her because of how much we liked Dr. Sabatini, but if we’d had a choice, we would not have chosen to work with her.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital.
We had insurance for our first cycles, but our frozen cycle was uninsured. It was quite expensive, at least $4,000-$6,000.
Describe Mary Sabatini Morris's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Dr. Sabatini was an advocate for transferring a single embryo in our cycles, as our embryos were of high quality. We understand her reasoning behind this, as multiples can be more risky.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
During our second retrieval, our nurse, Cathy, failed to call us to tell us how many embryos were successfully fertilized and whether or not we were to start progesterone. We tried calling the clinic in the afternoon to inquire, and the receptionist said that they had until the end of the day to call us and that Cathy would. We waited, and she never did. The next time we called to get our embryo fertilization results, the office was closed. We were very upset, as we had no update and didn’t know if we should start progesterone. We ended up having to call the doctor on call after hours, who had to find our file and then share with us the good news that we had embryos fertilized and to start progesterone.
Danvers
We found Dr. Sabatini very caring and knowledgable. At our first several visits, she explained in detail our issues and advised of next steps (IVF) and the process. As we progressed further into the cycle, we were seen by various drs on the staff and that is where we ran into issues. We often left these appts feeling confused/uninformed and that no-one was "managing" our care.
Many of the procedures/appointments were with other members of the MGH staff and we were not pleased with the level of patient care with the other staff. We often left appointments where we felt uninformed about the next step and procedures we not explained.... We worked with various nurses throughout the process. During the monitoring phase, speaking to multiple nurses was not an issue. However, when we started experiencing issues after miscarriage it was challenging because we had to recap our situation each time we spoke to someone.
Schedule all appointments directly with Dr. Sabatini if at all possible
Dr. Sabatini seemed very kind and appeared genuinely invested in our outcome, however, we had limited visits with her. Many of the procedures/appointments were with other members of the MGH staff and we were not pleased with the level of patient care with the other staff. We often left appointments where we felt uninformed about the next step and procedures we not explained. Again, we truly felt Dr. Sabatini was caring but as an MGH fertility patient, you are not always seen by your primary doctor.
Our treatment was IVF with ICSI and PGS testing. We went straight to this treatment due to advanced age and male factor infertility (morphology). Treatment resulted in pregnancy but subsequent miscarriage. Reason for miscarriage unknown.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
We were very pleased with our Dr but were not impressed with how the overall clinic was run. We had several issues with scheduling appointments, long wait times between appointments, oftentimes could not communicate directly with our doctor, and clinic staff was not as responsive as we would have liked.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Souter is direct, no-nonsense and matter-of-fact, which I liked. She's pleasant enough, but not super warm and fuzzy if that's what you're looking for. I saw her a couple times before starting my IUIs, but will not see her again until I have done six unsuccessful IUIs (at which time I am eligible for IVF)...If you want a straight shooter, you'll probably like Dr. Souter....For IUIs, I never saw my doctor (the nurses did the IUIs), but they were all warm and pleasant. For ultrasounds, I would see the fertility doctor on call (there are several).
In general, the nursing staff at the MGH Fertility Center have been pleasant. They have done all my IUIs, and I have interacted with them the most throughout my course of treatment. I have had a few negative experiences with Pam, Dr. Souter's primary nurse. She seems a bit scatter-brained, and once left me a voicemail about someone else's test results! She also never remembers my situation or course of treatment, so I always have to explain it to her each time we talk...Strengths: Top success rates in Boston, part of one of the country's best hospitals. Weaknesses: It doesn't always feel very personal.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
If you want a straight shooter, you'll probably like Dr. Souter.
The MGH Fertility Center is part of a large hospital and sees many patients, so they have many systems and routines for patients. For IUIs, I never saw my doctor (the nurses did the IUIs), but they were all warm and pleasant. For ultrasounds, I would see the fertility doctor on call (there are several). So far, I don't have anything negative to say about any of the doctors that i have seen. When you call the fertility center about something, they take your number and you have to wait for a call back from a nurse.
So far, I have done four unsuccessful IUIs. Given my situation, I have to do six IUIs unsuccessfully before my insurance will cover IVF -- so that is the treatment plan I am currently on. I am doing natural cycle IUIs (no medication) with ultrasound monitoring and a trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Pam)
In general, the nursing staff at the MGH Fertility Center have been pleasant. They have done all my IUIs, and I have interacted with them the most throughout my course of treatment. I have had a few negative experiences with Pam, Dr. Souter's primary nurse. She seems a bit scatter-brained, and once left me a voicemail about someone else's test results! She also never remembers my situation or course of treatment, so I always have to explain it to her each time we talk. Perhaps that's part of being seen at a larger hospital-based clinic.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
IUIs are $880 each. My medications and ultrasounds were covered by my insurance, as were my office visits.

2015 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Styer always seemed genuinely pleased to see me/us. Even if I was just there for blood work or an ultrasound and he saw me in the waiting room he'd come by to say hello. He was thorough and his explanations and thoughts on treatment seemed to be thoughtful and based on research.... We used an antagonist protocol. After a failed fresh transfer and an FET that ended at 8 weeks in a miscarriage, we asked Dr. Styer about PGS testing for the remaining two frozen embryos. He agreed, and the next PGS-tested FET embryo was a success.
MGH is a busy clinic and you won't always get to see Dr. Styer for ultrasounds or routine visits, or even perhaps your transfer. If it's important to you that you stick with one doctor, a smaller clinic might be the way to go.... MGH was professional, organized, clean, new. It was also busy, the phlebotomists were occasionally surly as was the front desk staff (some were great though), and it's in downtown Boston, which presents its own challenges.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Styer was great at in-person meetings. His demeanor was warm and inviting and he asked multiple times if I had any questions about any of the results he discussed with me and my husband.
Describe the protocols Aaron K. Styer used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl)
Cheryl was great during in-person meetings and setting up cycle calendars. She was not easy to get hold of any other time, as she didn't email. It was usually an on-call nurse that would get back to me when I called with questions, unless it was something directly related to my treatment plan.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
My insurance luckily covered everything except the deductible and the co-pay for the pharmacy costs.
Aaron K. Styer

2015, Unknown Success
I really liked Dr. Sabatini. She could be brusque, as she was seeing a lot of people, so at times I felt like our conversations were hurried, and I would be out the door and into the nurse's office before I knew what had hit me. I went to her largely for a diagnosis after 2 1/2 years of not getting pregnant on my own. I have out of state insurance, however, so for actual treatment I will have to see someone else. But I thought Dr. Sabatini was brilliant, friendly, nonjudgmental, was easily reachable by email, and had great ideas for how to proceed. I'm sorry not to be working with her the whole way through...I wound up just seeing her for diagnosis, and she diagnosed me as unexplained. I wasn't ready for IVF, and so she suggested we first stimulate my ovulation and time intercourse, seeing how that went before moving on to something more advanced. At every stage she was respectful of my wanting a conservative, noninvasive approach, and honest with me about the odds of success. I did not do stimulation with her in the end, instead opting to try to conceive naturally for a little while longer (I was unsuccessful)...
Do your homework ahead of time so that you can ask questions and really retain the answers. In retrospect I wish I had made my partner come along to most of the appointments with me, so that there were two of us listening to what she told us and not just me...
Truthfully, I kind of wish Dr. Sabatini would be my friend. She's smart, funny, and was respectful about my feelings of ambivalence, worry, hesitation about invasive procedures, and other wimpishness on my part. I saw her at every visit. I underwent a few different diagnostic procedures, including imaging in which Dr. Sabatini pronounced my ovaries and uterus "beautiful," which I thought was hilarious. She diagnosed me in the end with unexplained in fertility and a not serious fibroid, and her suggestion was that we stimulate me and rather than try IUI that we have timed intercourse at home, very respectful of my desire to be as minimally interfered with as possible. If I lived full time in Massachusetts, and MGH Danvers were in-network for my insurance, I absolutely would have continued seeing her.
Overall I spent about $3K out of pocket for all the testing and diagnostic work. I forget how much insurance paid, but it wasn't much, as the clinic was out of network.
2009 - 2010, Successful
He came across as very detached. While matter-of-fact can be ok, he communicated in a way that made me feel less than human - like he had a protocol he followed and who I was, how I felt, etc was pretty irrelevant. Ultimately, I got what I wanted: I became pregnant after two rounds of IUI... However, he did very little to make what is already a horrible experience any more bearable.
He [Dr. Petrozza] came across as very detached. While matter-of-fact can be ok, he communicated in a way that made me feel less than human - like he had a protocol he followed and who I was, how I felt, etc was pretty irrelevant. Ultimately, I got what I wanted: I became pregnant after two rounds of IUI... However, he did very little to make what is already a horrible experience any more bearable.
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Ultimately, I got what I wanted: I became pregnant after two rounds of IUI. For that reason I wouldn't discourage friends from going to Dr Petrozza and I will always feel grateful for his help. However, he did very little to make what is already a horrible experience any more bearable. He came across as fairly cold and detached, which I wasn't completely bothered by. He actually would reintroduce himself at every appointment as if we had never met, which was almost funny. My real difficulty with him happened when I opted not to do a vaccine that he was pushing me to get (something that would have delayed my treatment months, I did after careful consideration and consulting a highly respected infectious disease MD) I was horrified by the way he treated me. He was belittling and not in the least compassionate. Luckily, he didn't remember who I was at my next appointment. I had a friend who had a very similar experience with him. She did say when she went back to see him to have a second child, his bedside manner had improved dramatically, almost to the point where she wondered if he had gotten negative feedback and was making a serious effort to be more personable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
As much as you can, try to go into your interactions with him with your own sense of detachment. As emotional as the process is, try to look at him as a vehicle to get where you're trying to go. Ultimately, he's a surgeon who can perform a procedure that you may need.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr Petrozza's bedside manner was generally horrible. He came across as very detached. While matter-of-fact can be ok, he communicated in a way that made me feel less than human - like he had a protocol he followed and who I was, how I felt, etc was pretty irrelevant.
John Petrozza
2014, Successful
He was upfront and honest with us about the need to use a donor egg and ICSI, after two failed IVF's with colleagues in his clinic, he would have moved forward with our own embryo's if we wanted by he painted a realist picture of what our success rate would be 0.5%
His [Dr. Petrozza 's] staff made us feel more human, we rarely saw him. Julie was the donor coordinator and she took care of everything for us; we couldn't have been more happy with her. the staff nurses who assisted during the transfer were also wonderful.
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
ask a lot of question and understand WHY you're not able to conceive. Knowing why your not getting pregnant will help you be able to make decisions about topics you haven't considered yet, like donor egg
his staff made us feel more human, we rarely saw him
Describe the protocols John Petrozza used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
we used a donor egg, so I felt less in control of the process. he had a clear roadmap of donor egg cycles to get me to feel comfortable with what this cycle would be like compared to my other two unsuccessful cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Julie Gold)
teaching hospital based clinic
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital.
the first two cycles were covered by insurance, the donor egg cycle cost of $25000.00 out of pocket
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
the blood lab accidently threw out my blood sample when discarding the used needle in the sharps container and had to redraw the sample for the pregnancy test. I had to call to get results, they only make call backs at the end of the day, but the results were sitting in their office from 8am that morning.
John Petrozza
Boston
Many times I needed her [Dr. Irene Souter] to slow down and repeat herself...However, there is no doubt that she is incredibly knowledgeable and good at what she does...[new patient advice]If you're someone who needs a positive/compassionate doctor with pleasant bedside manner, she's probably not the best fit for you...The second cycle we followed a Flare cycle, which worked much better for me. I had around 13 follicles retrieved
For me, the [Massachusetts General Hospital] location in downtown Boston was great, though parking was expensive. It was clean and a comfortable space to go to, but the receptionists were never very friendly and I spent a lot of time waiting for people to call me back to answer simple questions...[cost] Fortunately my insurance covered most of it.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Many appointments I left confused and scared of next steps. Many times I needed her to slow down and repeat herself. I always felt a bit rushed and that I couldn't get a word in. BUT, at some point I just had to let go and trust her since she clearly knew what she was doing.
Just know yourself. If you're someone who needs a positive/compassionate doctor with pleasant bedside manner, she's probably not the best fit for you. At the time, 3 years ago, when infertility was so new to me, having that type of doctor was incredibly difficult for me. But now that I've lived this stuff and understand it better, I don't think her demeanor would bother me as much.
I was treated by Dr. Souter 3 years ago so looking back I can't recall exactly how I felt. I know that I was often disappointed by her bedside manner and throughout the year-long process of getting pregnant under her care I craved a more compassionate and friendly doctor. However, there is no doubt that she is incredibly knowledgeable and good at what she does. After many, many tears, she helped my husband and I conceive a healthy baby girl and for that I am forever grateful.
I don't recall what protocol we followed my first cycle, but it was pretty much a bust. I had very few follicles, maybe 4-5 retrieved, I think 2 fertilized, we transferred 1 day 3 that did not take and the other one did not go on to be freezable. The second cycle we followed a Flare cycle, which worked much better for me. I had around 13 follicles retrieved, I think 6-7 fertilized, we transferred 1 "perfect" one that went on to become our beautiful daughter and ended up freezing one.
It was hit or miss with the nurses. Some were nice and some were not.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
For me, the location in downtown Boston was great, though parking was expensive. It was clean and a comfortable space to go to, but the receptionists were never very friendly and I spent a lot of time waiting for people to call me back to answer simple questions. The billing department was also a mess.
I don't remember. Fortunately my insurance covered most of it.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Leading up to my second cycle there was a ton of confusion in getting it approved by my insurance. Some of this was fault of my insurance company but the clinic also didn't help in getting this resolved. I had to be my own advocate and literally fight to get my cycle approved.