Selling medication is not offered

Waltham
52 Second Ave
Waltham, MA 02451
617-726-8868

While Dr. Souter is an extremely busy professional, we always felt like she made quality time for us during our visits. She reviewed any new results, was clear about our expectations, and patiently addressed any questions or concerns we had. We felt very well taken care of under her treatment... Because everything appeared relatively normal, Dr. Souter suggested 3 courses of IUI with Gonal-F before moving on to IVF. The first IUI resulted in me getting my period before the two week wait was up. The second course was a little odd - my body didn’t respond as quickly to the Gonal-F and appeared to wind up ovulating on its own, so we did an IUI without a trigger shot. I didn’t get my period for 26 days after the IUI, but tested negative for pregnancy. The third cycle went smoothly and I received a positive pregnancy beta test 16 days after the transfer. I’m now 13 weeks along with a healthy baby!
We called [Massachusetts General Hospital] in January 2019 and were going through our first IUI cycle by early May. (First consult was February, followed by all sorts of testing for both of us, followed by an additional consult to review the treatment plan). The only issue is how busy the clinic is - when coming in for blood and ultrasounds, I’d always recommend getting the earliest possible appointments, as the waiting room can fill up! But I was never there for more than an hour.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
As discussed earlier, Dr. Souter’s manner while meeting with her was consistently supportive, educational, and clear. We felt we always understood what our next steps would be, what risks were involved, and what chances we had of success. The only minor issue was how long we needed to wait between appointments to see her, but that’s just a product of how busy she is providing all of her patients with the same quality treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Be proactive in scheduling any future consults. When our second IUI wasn’t successful, we preemptively scheduled our IVF consult to coincide with the third cycle of IUI, just to keep the ball in motion if the third cycle wasn’t successful.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the protocols Irene Souter used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
All of our tests came back pretty normal, with the exception of some mild male factor issues (which improved with diet changes). Because everything appeared relatively normal, Dr. Souter suggested 3 courses of IUI with Gonal-F before moving on to IVF. The first IUI resulted in me getting my period before the two week wait was up. The second course was a little odd - my body didn’t respond as quickly to the Gonal-F and appeared to wind up ovulating on its own, so we did an IUI without a trigger shot. I didn’t get my period for 26 days after the IUI, but tested negative for pregnancy. The third cycle went smoothly and I received a positive pregnancy beta test 16 days after the transfer. I’m now 13 weeks along with a healthy baby!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Massachusetts General Hospital.
The nursing staff were consistently pleasant and understanding. I felt extremely comfortable with them.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic is organized and for as busy as it is, you can get moving with treatment pretty quickly. We called in January 2019 and were going through our first IUI cycle by early May. (First consult was February, followed by all sorts of testing for both of us, followed by an additional consult to review the treatment plan). The only issue is how busy the clinic is - when coming in for blood and ultrasounds, I’d always recommend getting the earliest possible appointments, as the waiting room can fill up! But I was never there for more than an hour.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Our insurance is excellent - we only paid copays of $30/visit, including transfers and testing. The medicines were most expensive, at about $300/cycle.
Describe Irene Souter's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
We didn’t get to this point, but because I’m still under 35, with IVF we would have done just a single embryo transfer per IVF cycle.
Boston

He [Dr. Rein] immediately made me feel comfortable and was very compassionate. He was honest with me about everything but didn’t make me feel bad about anything. He’s always very good at explaining everything and takes the time to answer any and all questions i May have...The wait to see him for a consultation is worth it! You will love him!...was watched very carefully to avoid OHSS. I had 6 ultrasounds in 8 days. I triggered with HcG and retrieved 20 eggs.
staff [at Massachusetts General Hospital] were always on top of everything. The team of doctors and nurses were always available for questions and always kept you updated right away on plans and treatments...nurse Johanne was able to move my husbands urology and endocrinology appointments up for us because she know how important time was for infertility treatments
How was your experience with Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He immediately made me feel comfortable and was very compassionate. He was honest with me about everything but didn’t make me feel bad about anything. He’s always very good at explaining everything and takes the time to answer any and all questions i May have.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
The wait to see him for a consultation is worth it! You will love him!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I felt like Dr. Rein and his staff were always on top of everything. The team of doctors and nurses were always available for questions and always kept you updated right away on plans and treatments. His nurse Johanne was able to move my husbands urology and endocrinology appointments up for us because she know how important time was for infertility treatments
Describe the protocols Mitchell Rein used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
We did one IVF with icsi cycle so far. It included: birth control for 3 weeks, lupron 10u to prevent ovulation and then dropped to 5u after a week. Started menopur 75u and gonalf 150u for stimulation. I stimmed for 8 days total and was watched very carefully to avoid OHSS. I had 6 ultrasounds in 8 days. I triggered with HcG and retrieved 20 eggs. 19 of which were mature. 15 were fertilized and we ended up with 4 embryos
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Johanne Day )
Johanne was always on top of everything! She communicated with me and made sure i understood everything. She was always available to answer any questions i had (even if some where probably ridiculous)
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Super friendly and personable staff. Everyone makes you feel super comfortable even when you’re being poked and prodded. Early ultrasound and blood work hours (6:45am is the earliest). Very lean facility. Quick results uploaded to the patient online portal. Always on time with appointments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Not much besides copays
Describe Mitchell Rein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Dr. Rein only transfers 1 embryo unless you’re over the age of 35.
Danvers
I felt more than a human. I felt like a member of his family. [Dr. Rein] and his nurse were very attentive and responded to my patient portal messages very quickly... Dr Rein was even nice enough to contact me over the weekend on his person cell phone to check up on me. He comes highly recommended and I would be gladly to refer him to anyone!... He is very attentive and always answers any questions I have and is very patient. He is very compassionate and even goes above and beyond to check on your well being after a failed cycle or miscarriage.
Johanne is Dr. reins nurse [at Massachusetts General Hospital]. She’s amazing. Very attentive, prompt and organized...I would go in at 6:45 am every few days and I would be out at least by 7:05 which worked great with my work schedule!...My RE will not transfer multiple embryos until I have had two miscarriages per MGH protocol...Him and his nurse were very attentive and responded to my patient portal messages very quickly.
How was your experience with Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Dr Rein. I have nothing but good experiences at the clinic. He is very attentive and always answers any questions I have and is very patient. He is very compassionate and even goes above and beyond to check on your well being after a failed cycle or miscarriage.
He is the best doctor to see for your fertility issues. He is everything you would need and want in a fertility doctor.
I felt more than a human. I felt like a member of his family. Him and his nurse were very attentive and responded to my patient portal messages very quickly. They are very prompt. Dr Rein was even nice enough to contact me over the weekend on his person cell phone to check up on me. He comes highly recommended and I would be gladly to refer him to anyone!
First cycle he went with the traditional cycle for my egg retrieval and transfer. I ended up having a failed cycle. My second cycle was the same but resulted in a miscarriage. The only thing that could have been done a little different on my second cycle was to make sure my lining was optimal. But, he made the call and it worked. But ended in early miscarriage. For cycle number three which I’ll be starting in Novemeber of 2018 is to make sure my uterine lining is at its best.
Johanne is Dr. reins nurse. She’s amazing. Very attentive, prompt and organized
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Well, if Johanne isn’t in the office I feel like the office doesn’t run as smoothly. And maybe they don’t communicate as well as they should. They may want to work a little bit better at that. Rather than that, everyone and everything is great!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Very quick! I would go in at 6:45 am every few days and I would be out at least by 7:05 which worked great with my work schedule!
I only had a deductible with my insurance
Danvers
She [Dr. Jan Shifren] stressed that she works hard to not have patients become pregnant with multiples as it’s a high risk pregnancy...Listened to our history, walked through each step with us...She was very thorough at intake and checked in after every treatment. She made us feel very comfortable and met with us after each treatment to make sure that we knew what the next steps would be. She explained any and all risks when going through IUI and what the next steps would be if we did not conceive after the third IUI.
The clinic [Massachusetts General Hospital] had a lot of strengths: they were very flexible schedule, on time for all my appointments, really great communication and made themselves available for all my questions, and they made the process as a good as it could be. One thing to note is that the first appointment is very long. Expect to be there for at least 2 hours...The nursing staff was fantastic. Reassuring, positive and warm, they all made the process as good as it could be.
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
She can be a little tough in the beginning, but so very thorough and we felt like she listened to all of our concerns.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Listened to our history, walked through each step with us
Describe the protocols Jan Shifren used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
Based on my age and how long we had been trying, she recommended that my husband get tested since I had a normal period. His tests came back normal so we decided to go through IUI as it was less Invasive and a good starting point. If after three cycles we did not conceive, we would have moved to IVF. She stressed that she works hard to not have patients become pregnant with multiples as it’s a high risk pregnancy, but we became pregnant with twins. Come to find out we have twins on both sides of the family so that could have been the luck of the draw.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Judy)
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic had a lot of strengths: they were very flexible schedule, on time for all my appointments, really great communication and made themselves available for all my questions, and they made the process as a good as it could be. One thing to note is that the first appointment is very long. Expect to be there for at least 2 hours.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I had great insurance so it was all covered.
Boston

Aaron is very warm, hopeful, straightforward about diagnosis/options and clear about expectations. He is completely focused on the patient and is happy to either sit and answer questions/talk through things or get started with the treatment plan....He is an ideal choice for MD. He is kind, warm, patient, willing to sit and talk through options. He is super straightforward and clear with facts and comprehensive in the workup he prescribes to get a full picture of a couple's fertility.
Because the clinic is through MGH and they have such a high volume of patients, wait times can be brutal, but they do try to move along as fast as they can to get you in for your appointment....The nursing staff was kind. During my first two rounds of treatment that did not result in pregnancy, they acknowledged the disappointment and encouraged moving forward with another month...One day, when the wait was egregiously long, they gave out free parking stickers (a little treat in a place like Boston, ha!) and free coffee gift cards for the hospital cafeterias.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He is an ideal choice for MD. He is kind, warm, patient, willing to sit and talk through options. He is super straightforward and clear with facts and comprehensive in the workup he prescribes to get a full picture of a couple's fertility. We never felt rushed with Aaron, but we were eager to move forward with a treatment plan and he was happy to oblige. He was hopeful and positive and even encouraging when I became pregnant and didn't want to get my hopes up. I would recommend him to anyone--he was really wonderful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Feel free to be honest with him about your hopes and expectations. Because he is very straightforward and thorough in his explanations he will help to adjust expectations if necessary (I was not optimistic, and he encouraged my optimism) and fully explain the results of a workup to back up his opinions about treatment plans.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the protocols Aaron K. Styer used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
I have PCOS, but I ovulate regularly. When my husband and I wanted to try to conceive, knowing I had the PCOS diagnosis, I proactively went to Aaron Styer for a workup as soon as I had my IUD removed. Aaron offered to let my husband and I try to conceive naturally for a while, but mentioned that we might derive some benefit from the use of Clomid (to help guarantee well matured eggs and time ovulation) and a trigger shot to help with timing. We were eager to conceive, so we wanted to start with that. He said that we would try that protocol for 6 months. Before the third cycle of Clomid and the trigger shot, I mentioned that my luteal phases seemed short (~10 days), so he suggested trying progesterone vaginal inserts which I would use every night after ovulation was confirmed 2-3 days after the trigger shot. On our third cycle of Clomid + trigger shot and the first cycle in which I used progesterone, we conceived our daughter. That pregnancy resulted in a live birth.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital.
The nursing staff was kind. During my first two rounds of treatment that did not result in pregnancy, they acknowledged the disappointment and encouraged moving forward with another month, if I was comfortable and ready. Once I became pregnant, they were encouraging and friendly, very knowledgable and eager to support me in the early weeks before I was transferred to the OB/Midwife team.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The doctors and nursing staff are AMAZING. Because the clinic is through MGH and they have such a high volume of patients, wait times can be brutal, but they do try to move along as fast as they can to get you in for your appointment. One day, when the wait was egregiously long, they gave out free parking stickers (a little treat in a place like Boston, ha!) and free coffee gift cards for the hospital cafeterias. It doesn't solve the annoyance of having to wait for a long time, but it is something and I know they try hard. I do think they're worth waiting for, though!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
A few $15 co-pays for MD visits and some small prescription medication co-pays. My treatment and all medication was covered by my insurance.
Describe Aaron K. Styer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
We never got to IVF, but Aaron Styer had a strong preference for transferring a single embryo for several transfers in women under 35--which he discussed with me, should we have gone the IVF route. He was more open to multiple embryo transfer after subsequent IVF failure or in women over 35.
Boston
She [Dr. Souter] is extremely knowledgeable and friendly and takes her time with you answering all questions. However she ups your anxiety about when I got a positive for a possible genetic issue that was not big deal when I went to genetic counseling. She was also pretty pessimistic about my 15% of getting pregnant...Dr answered all my questions and took ample time, she was friendly...I just didn't have a partner.
You get more personalized care because it's small [MGH - Boston]. The doctors are extremely knowledgeable. They don't do more extreme procedures....[nurses] They responded quickly to calls but did not provide a video to teach you how to inject meds. I had to watch YouTube videos to learn...When I complained about error was rudely told I should not come here if I was not prepared to pay all out of pocket.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
She is extremely knowledgeable and friendly and takes her time with you answering all questions. However she ups your anxiety about when I got a positive for a possible genetic issue that was not big deal when I went to genetic counseling. She was also pretty pessimistic about my 15% of getting pregnant. Statistics include both when with issues and women who are just older. Many women in my family got pregnant naturally in their 40's. I just didn't have a partner. I was not surprised when I got pregnant on the first ivf try.
Go to her because she is good but know that she can make you a bit anxious and is overly cautious to not get your hopes up.
The clinic is small, the nurses call you back quickly, Dr answered all my questions and took ample time, she was friendly.
Standard ivf - patches, suppositories, and PIO injections.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
You get more personalized care because it's small. The doctors are extremely knowledgeable. They don't do more extreme procedures like other places but I think that's a good thing because the priority is to keep you healthy.
$10000
She said to transfer two embryos to give me a chance.
What specific things went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I specifically asked how much treatment would cost and was told insurance would cover it all so I started treatment and mid treatment told me they made a mistake and insurance would only cover most of meds but not transfer and other procedures so I had to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket. When I complained about error was rudely told I should not come here if I was not prepared to pay all out of pocket.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr. Rein took the time to answer all of my questions; when I'd meet with his nurse, he'd brief her on what was discussed as well, so we were all on the same page... Dr. Rein has always acknowledged the hardships of infertility. He has also provided me with statistics, examples, and conversation around anything that's come up. Additionally, after our failed IVF cycle, his nurse sent our information to his social worker, who called to check-in and check-up with us to see how we were handling things.
One thing that we really like about MGH is that they convene a panel discussion before every protocol is released to the patient. I believe the panel has eight REs on it and we like that more eyes are able to offer opinions on what might be best for us. The downside of this is that the REs take weeks where they do retrievals/transfers, so I didn't have my RE do either of mine... Communication is a strength, as we never wondered what might/might not be happening that day.
How was your experience with Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Rein met with me after my husband and I decided to change to a new clinic. We talked about the history, concerns, and he answered any and all questions I had. My husband and I had a follow-up appointment with him after all of the preliminary testing; he gave us statistics, his professional opinion/recommendation, and then the decision was ours to make. We left knowing what to expect both in terms of the procedures and with the risks associated/potential outcomes. We didn't meet with him during the IVF cycle (another doctor did both my retrieval and transfer, which is common at our clinic); but they scheduled an appointment me with us just after the negative beta came in. There, he discussed with me what happened and the next plan to help us bring a baby into our family.
His personality can seem dry and stand-offish; he does not strike me as a 'hand-holder', so if that's what you need then he will not be a good fit. Personally, we really like him because he delivers information in a very straightforward manner, but it's not for everyone.
Dr. Rein took the time to answer all of my questions; when I'd meet with his nurse, he'd brief her on what was discussed as well, so we were all on the same page. He also didn't try to make light of our situation; infertility is frustrating, anger-inducing, emotional, and a number of other feelings; our first RE used try to make jokes, which always made me feel like my feelings weren't legitimate. Dr. Rein has always acknowledged the hardships of infertility. He has also provided me with statistics, examples, and conversation around anything that's come up. Additionally, after our failed IVF cycle, his nurse sent our information to his social worker, who called to check-in and check-up with us to see how we were handling things.
I started with 3 weeks of birth control; then Lupron injections for 20 days/Gonal F & Menopur for 11. Then I had my trigger and retrieval. He told us originally that most embryos do not make it to day 5 and to expect a 3-day transfer, but ours did make it to day 5. He was clear that due to my age and the unexplianed infertility diagnosis, that he would not put more than one embryo back, so one was transfered. Beta testing was 13 days later. Everything mostly went as planned, except that they had to increase the dosage for the GonalF/Menopur (doubled both, we think) because I wasn't responding quickly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Joanne & Anita)
My husband and I both liked the nurses with whom we worked. They were really great about delivering information to us each afternoon after bloodwork/US and were willing and able to answer all of our questions stemming from those calls and any others we placed. We never felt like we were inconveniencing them or that our questions were being brushed off. When our cycle failed, one of the nurses made sure the social worker reached out to check-in/up on us, which we thought showed a commitment to full-circle care. Both nurses aren't particularly chatty or 'warm' but they were honest and straightforward with answers. We like them a lot and trust them completely.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
We go to MGH in the Danvers office after doing some initial testing at BostonIVF. One thing that we really like about MGH is that they convene a panel discussion before every protocol is released to the patient. I believe the panel has eight REs on it and we like that more eyes are able to offer opinions on what might be best for us. The downside of this is that the REs take weeks where they do retrievals/transfers, so I didn't have my RE do either of mine. The good thing with this is that the doctor who did my actual transfer is the same doctor who did my mock transfer; and the doctor who did my retrieval is the same one who did my last ultrasound beforehand, so I was already familiar with them before the procedures. MGH does all of their bloodwork and ultrasound monitoring in the early mornings before work, which was helpful; and they deliver the results via the portal once they've been released as well as through a phonecall by the nurse the same afternoon. Communication is a strength, as we never wondered what might/might not be happening that day. While we were able to do all of our monitoring at a satellite location, both the retrieval and transfer were done at the hospital in Boston. The staff there, as well, were pleasant.
The IVF fresh cycle (without meds) was about $10k; the frozen transfer was $3000+. Meds for my first cycle were $3600 (insurance covered about $1600); meds for the frozen transfer are TBD.
Danvers
She [Dr Lippincott] is conservative--I consider this a good thing in her approach, but it may be something that some people are concerned about. Personally, I felt very comfortable with her--she was not cavalier about risks to either my health or that of my potential children. I'm in the medical field, and have seen severe side effects of fertility treatment, as well as bad outcomes in premature multiples--because of all of this, I felt much more comfortable with someone who tends towards the conservative end. It's also possible that I did not see the full range of what she would be willing to do, as my fertility issues were (thankfully!) resolved with treatments that were on the simpler end.
I honestly felt very comfortable with the clinic. Initial wait times were long, but I called back and lucked into a cancellation within 2 weeks. Dr Lippincott and Judy Adams were both very available and I felt very much that I was in good hands. Only limitation--and thankfully I did not have to deal with this much--the MGH lab is incredibly slow, and I have sat for more than an hour's wait to get blood drawn. Thankfully they very rarely asked bloodwork except right at the beginning of my workup and at the end, when confirming pregnancy.
How was your experience with Margaret Lippincott at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr Lippencott was always thorough and detail-oriented, but warm. I always felt like she wanted me to understand all of the possibilities and pros/cons of our decisions, but it really felt like I was a partner in the decision making. She was very accessible (although of course I tried not to abuse this!) and answered any questions fully. I never felt rushed by her. I worked more directly with the ultrasound technologist, but Dr Lippencott would always be available for consultation regarding the plan.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Margaret Lippincott at Massachusetts General Hospital?
She is conservative--I consider this a good thing in her approach, but it may be something that some people are concerned about. Personally, I felt very comfortable with her--she was not cavalier about risks to either my health or that of my potential children. I'm in the medical field, and have seen severe side effects of fertility treatment, as well as bad outcomes in premature multiples--because of all of this, I felt much more comfortable with someone who tends towards the conservative end. It's also possible that I did not see the full range of what she would be willing to do, as my fertility issues were (thankfully!) resolved with treatments that were on the simpler end.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Margaret Lippincott at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr Lippincott was always thorough and detail-oriented, but warm. I always felt like she wanted me to understand all of the possibilities and pros/cons of our decisions, but it really felt like I was a partner in the decision making. She was very accessible (although of course I tried not to abuse this!) and answered any questions fully. I never felt rushed by her.
Describe the protocols Margaret Lippincott used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
I had previously done 3 cycles of unmonitored Clomid (1 cycle on 50mg and 2 on 100mg), and only ovulated on the last cycle (2 follicles). Dr Lippincott diagnosed me with PCOS based on my US and confirmed that I probably had not ovulated in the prior year (I had been using urine ovulation tests without ever getting a positive line, until the last cycle of Clomid). With Dr Lippincott, she had me come in for ultrasounds on day 3 (confirm ovulation and how many follicles ovulated) and day 12-13 (confirm if a dominant follicle present). Based on the size of the dominant follicle, I would either come back in on day 16-17 (if it was not large enough to be able to confirm what day it would be mature), or they would estimate the date of follicle maturity from the day 12-13 scan. I would then administer HCG and do timed intercourse. I did this for two cycles. On my 3rd cycle with Dr Lippincott, we decided to add on an IUI; again, I did US on day 3 and day 12-13; because my follicle was still too small, we repeated an US on day 16, did HCG injection on day 16, then did an IUI on day 18. Thankfully this was enough for us!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Judy Adams (actually the ultrasonographer, who was usually my point person if not Dr Lippincott))
I did not actually work with any nursing staff. My primary point person was Judy Adams, the ultrasonographer, who was great--warm and very responsive, and also very good.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Margaret Lippincott at Massachusetts General Hospital.
We were lucky- covered by insurance. We have a high-deductible plan; after the discount from the insurance, we paid ~$200 per US (so $400 per cycle) plus $500 for the IUI. (With the high-deductible plan, until we meet our out of pocket, we expect to pay $150-$200 per doctor's appointment--so don't take this as the amount you would pay if you had a more conventional plan.) Clomid is pretty cheap.
Margaret Lippincott

2014 - 2015, Successful
She talked too fast, used lots of jargon, and because I had come to her from another clinic (for IUIs) I think she thought I knew more than I did about IVFs, which can be very different... Dr. Souter leans more towards pragmatic and blunt and could improve her bedside manner, but I have not doubted her decisions, protocols or care.
My care team was wonderful, even the receptionist remembered my name. They were always current on my case, got excited when news was good, and called to check on me when news was bad. I received hugs and tender touches when I needed them. My personal circumstances aside, almost every interaction I had with team members was extremely positive.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I will say, my first interaction with Dr. Souter was not ideal. She talked too fast, used lots of jargon, and because I had come to her from another clinic (for IUIs) I think she thought I knew more than I did about IVFs, which can be very different. Occasionally her accent was hard to understand. I am in healthcare and was a little lost. My husband was totally overwhelmed! My second meeting with her one-on-one went much more smoothly and she even turned her computer monitor to show me actual numbers and details, something I very much appreciated. Dr. Souter leans more towards pragmatic and blunt and could improve her bedside manner, but I have not doubted her decisions, protocols or care.
Do your homework. Learn about IVF terminology and the process. Bring a notebook to take notes and go prepared with questions since your time with her is limited. Also, do not be afraid to ask for further clarification if you don't understand something. She is very straightforward. If you are overly sensitive (not that I am not...because who isn't?) then maybe think about another doctor, though I don't know who would be best, maybe Dr. Sabatini. Call to ask the clinic.
Cycle #1: OCP/Low Dose Lupron. 21 days of Apri birth control. Lupron injection 10 units x 10 days. Lupron injection 5 units x 10 days. Gonal-f 150 IU and Menopur 150 IU injections x 10 days. HCG injection. Ampicillin, Cefoxitin, Methylprednisolone, baby aspirin (81mg), 50 mg IM injection Progesterone. Valium for transfer. Vivelle dots 2 patches every other day. Personally, I did not respond well to this protocol. I only had 5 eggs, 4 were mature, and only 1 fertilized normally. This was transferred and the cycle was not successful. Cycle #2: OCP/Antagonist. 21 days of Apri birth control. Gonal-f 300 IU and Menopur 150 IU injections x 11 days. Ganirelix Acetate pre-filled syringe 250 mcg x 6 days. HCG injection. Ampicillin, Cefoxitin, Methylprednisolone, baby aspirin (81mg), 50 mg IM injection Progesterone. Valium for transfer. Vivelle dots 2 patches every other day. I had a drastically improved response on this protocol . 18 eggs retrieved (even from my quiet ovary), 9 went on to ICSI, 7 fertilized normally, 4 made it to day 5. 1 was transferred and 3 were frozen. I became pregnant, but unfortunately it was ectopic and I had to have surgery to remove my tube. There is a slight increased risk of ectopics with IVF. Cycle #3: Cryopreserved Blastocyst Transfer. 21 days of Apri birth control. Lupron injection 10 units x 28 days. Vivelle dots varying patches every other day x 24+ days. Endometrin tabs 100mg. Ampicillin, Methylprednisolone, baby aspirin (81mg), 50 mg IM injection Progesterone. Valium for transfer. "Textbook cycle and transfer" with 1 frozen embryo, results TBD.
Their compassion and genuine interest in your success!

2014 - 2015, Successful
Dr Styer provided an exceptional experience for my husband and myself. He always took the time to explain the procedures, options and provide a recommendation. He was compassionate to the situation but not overly coddling...Take notes in your initial appt. he provides many options and details on what can be done. It is quite overwhelming in nature and in hindsight I should have taken notes vs remembering from memory.
MGH IVF was an all inclusive practice with everything from your appts, lab work, and surgery procedures happening right at Yawkey which made it extremely convenient....Dr Styers team is a pod you consistently seen by at your appts. Cheryl is the primary nurse and Amazing. She felt like my mom was with me at my appts. Extremely warm and attentive.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
As per my previous comment, Dr Styer provided an exceptional experience for my husband and myself. He always took the time to explain the procedures, options and provide a recommendation. He was compassionate to the situation but not overly coddling. I 100% would recommend him to anyone needing fertility treatments.
Dr Styer always took the time to explain or options, how and why treatments went the way they did and provided a recommendation on what he would do next if he was in our situation. We had seen a female dr in the practice initially and struggled with her overly coddling personality. We were recommended to Dr Styer for his bedside manner and direct personality and were exceptionally pleased.
I had two potential ectopic pregnancies before seeking fertility treatment. Dr styer started with a round of clomid, then two iuis with different drug doses and ultimately moved to Ivf.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl )
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
I was very fortunate to have insurance cover my entire procedure with the exception of my deductible.
2012 - 2015, Successful
I felt like a human because she [Dr. Sabatini] built such a nice relationship with my husband and I...She really took the time to understand what our goals were, What we were willing to go through, and then break down our options...Due to my age and my reasons for infertility, she recommended eSET which we completely agreed with...was incredibly caring when we were under her care. from the moment we met her we felt confident in her abilities and process. In our first consultation visit she explained everything so well to us.
The MGH clinic was one of the best run healthcare offices I have worked with. They really have their operations down. I never had an issue getting an appointment when I needed one. I never had to wait too long...I don't recall having any poor experiences [with the nurses]. The clinic runs really well and I always received calls when expected and with the appropriate level of compassion...the clinic has specific protocols that they use. I reacted very well to their standard protocols.
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Sabatini was incredibly caring when we were under her care. from the moment we met her we felt confident in her abilities and process. In our first consultation visit she explained everything so well to us. She really took the time to understand what our goals were, What we were willing to go through, and then break down our options. I recommended her to another friend who also loved her. Dr. Sabatini is one of the best doctors I have ever had. Fertility treatment is hard and she was incredibly understanding of that and helped make it as smooth as possible.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Trust her!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I felt like a human because she built such a nice relationship with my husband and I.
Describe the protocols Mary Sabatini used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
It has been so long now since my first fresh cycle. I don't know if doctors that their own protocol but I know the clinic has specific protocols that they use. I reacted very well to their standard protocols. For my fresh cycle, I used Lupron, Follistim or gonal-F, menopur, ovidrel trigger I believe, steroids and antibiotics before transfer as well as injectable progesterone and an estrogen patch. My two fresh cycles were pretty long to start which initiated with lupron and estrogen patches. As we neared transfer, I used estrogen patches, progesterone suppositories and progesterone injections.
I don't recall having any poor experiences. The clinic runs really well and I always received calls when expected and with the appropriate level of compassion.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I had incredible health insurance and only needed to pay a copay for medication. I don't think I ever spend more than $140 per cycle out of pocket.
Describe Mary Sabatini's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Mary Sabatini

2014, Successful
How was your experience with Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Tanrikut is highly trained, great at communicating, and personable. When we left our appointments we understood the next steps, both the risks and possible outcomes. There were never any surprises. Further, when we thought of questions between appointments, she was always quick to respond to an e-mail through patient gateway. My diagnosis was unobstructed azoospermia (zero sperm count). My only chance at having children was to undergo MicroTESE surgery performed by Dr. Tanrikut. My anxiety was high on the day of my surgery, but I distinctly remember Dr. Tanrikut in the operating room before they administered the anesthesia; her demeanor, professionalism, and compassion toward me gave me the reassurance that I was in the best hands possible. When I woke up, Dr. Tanrikut was there to tell me the good news that she had found enough sperm for 4 cycles of IVF/ICSI. Though the fog of the anesthesia was still heavy, I distinctly remember tears of joy; a moment I will never forget. Dr. Tanrikut then left me and delivered the news personally to my wife as well. While the success of the surgery was ultimately a matter of whether or not my body was producing sperm or not, Dr. Tanrikut’s expertise in diagnosing the problem, having the technical skills to perform the surgery, and ultimately finding the best possible outcome cannot be understated. Beyond her technical skills, her demeanor and compassionate approach to our care was just as important. She demonstrated a true understanding of the emotional struggles we faced, both for myself and more importantly my wife. A phone call after the surgery, and a personal response to the thank you note we sent after the birth of our child are just two more examples of the long term commitment Dr. Tanrikut showed us. I cannot think of any weaknesses displayed by Dr. Tanrikut during our time under her care. She is truly an exceptional doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I'd say to trust her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Tanrikut brought the right level of frankness balanced with compassion. She never rushed an appointment and always made certain we had a full understanding of what we had discussed.
Describe the protocols Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
MicroTESE surgery. This was the recommendation after four sperm analyses showed zero sperm.
The nursing staff at MGH is exceptional. Caring and highly skilled.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Our overall experience at the MGH Fertility Center was exceptional. The doctors are professional, caring, and highly skilled. The support team (nurses, embryologists, fellows, MAs, etc...) are excellent as well. The hardest part for us to trust them on was the IVF doctor rotation. At MGH, your primary doctor develops your treatment plan, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they will perform/monitor your IVF cycle. The doctors at the center rotate as the “IVF doctor” (each week I believe). We were a little uncomfortable with this at first, however it worked out perfectly fine. We needed multiple IVF cycles before we had our baby, so we ended up meeting quite a few of the doctors in the center. Each of them demonstrated the highest level of commitment, care, and professionalism in their interactions with us.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I do not recall the exact costs. But I remember that they were in line with other providers.
Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut

2012 - 2013, Successful
Dr. Styer was sympathetic to our particular story and knew how urgently we wanted to be parents. He also personally called us after one of our miscarriages... He never forced us into anything we were not comfortable with. He respected my decision to transfer 2 embryos. I chose to have him remain my RE after we moved across country and he was great at communicating even over the phone when I could not be there for an appointment. He also watched me very carefully during early pregnancy and made sure I felt taken care of, I had lots of ultrasounds for reassurance.
FET [at Massachusetts General Hospital] was around $4,000-5,000...Every person that I worked with at MGH was a pleasure, be they support staff, nurse, or doctor. It is truly their desire to see your big pregnant belly in the future! The weakness of this clinic and I assume most clinics, is the time it takes from your first appointment to your first positive pregnancy test takes almost a year. The waiting is hard and their schedule for procedures is very full so it can take a while to get your cycle going for IVF.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Styer was great at explaining our choices and supporting us in whatever direction we wanted to go. He was compassionate and professional. He never forced us into anything we were not comfortable with. He respected my decision to transfer 2 embryos. I chose to have him remain my RE after we moved across country and he was great at communicating even over the phone when I could not be there for an appointment. He also watched me very carefully during early pregnancy and made sure I felt taken care of, I had lots of ultrasounds for reassurance.
I would tell them to trust that Dr. Styer is doing everything in his power to have you bring home a baby, in an ethical way.
We had male factor infertility and Dr. Styer recommended IVF with ICSI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl Igo)
I was very close with my nurse and she always knew what was going on with my particular cycle. Whenever I called or emailed she got back to me quickly. She also worked with us out of state over the phone and she was a good communicator.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
In Massachusetts ART is covered by insurance, so we had few out of pocket costs, only around $2,000. When we were covered and when we no longer lived in MA the cost for a FET was around $4,000-5,000.
He recommended that we transfer a single embryo but I wanted to transfer two on two separate transfers and he allowed us to do that.
2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Souter is very direct which I like. She takes the medical care of her patients seriously and is hesitant to start with the most invasive course of action immediately. She also is receptive/concerned with the financial costs....She is very direct which may come off as harsh but when it matters she is supportive and kind including giving me a hug and holding my hand when learning of a miscarriage....While she may seem tough, she is there for you when it really matters.
[MGH - Boston] Strengths: they are very organized which helps with as much planning is possible during this process. US & bW happen in the morning followed by IUIs and then iVf and appts are a bit later. They are open 7 days /wk even during bad weather Weakness: there are many patients coming and going, it is a busy practice...All but one nurse showed compassion during the process. They are generally very responsive (you need to call and leave a message) and call back within a few hours. They were knowledgeable and very helpful. I worked with the nurses more than the dr during the process.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
While she may seem tough, she is there for you when it really matters.
I first visited Dr. Souter in 2015, when I returned in 2016 (nearly 2 year’s later) she remembered me. She is very direct which may come off as harsh but when it matters she is supportive and kind including giving me a hug and holding my hand when learning of a miscarriage.
1 unmediated IUi 2 medicated IUI 1 IVF cycle (flare) Low ovarian reserve
Co-pays
They have a chart that outlines how many embryos will be transferred during each cycle.
Boston
He [Dr. Aaron Styer] made special arrangements to do both of my retrievals and made me feel like I was his only patient and paid special attention to me. He checked in several times and made me feel very well cared for . I must say that as a physician, I am very critical by nature. And I felt that every aspect of his care was thoughtful and compassionate...Since I had diminished ovarian reserve, Dr. Styer utilized a estrogen patch protocol with a total of 450 units of Gonal F and Menopur and then an antagonist. Second cycle was same does of meds but a microdose Flare. Very similar high response which a pleasant surpise given my ovarian reserve
He [Dr. Aaron Styer] made special arrangements to do both of my retrievals and made me feel like I was his only patient and paid special attention to me. He checked in several times and made me feel very well cared for . I must say that as a physician, I am very critical by nature. And I felt that every aspect of his care was thoughtful and compassionate...Excellent communication on all fronts by nurses [at MGH] . Great team!
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He made special arrangements to do both of my retrievals and made me feel like I was his only patient and paid special attention to me. He checked in several times and made me feel very well cared for . I must say that as a physician, I am very critical by nature. And I felt that every aspect of his care was thoughtful and compassionate.
He is a great doctor and really takes his time to listen to what you have to say.
Dr. Styer was great about really explaining all details with me about eggs freezing. I am a physician and single woman. He was so patient with explaining the technical aspects of eggs freezing and helping me to understand what would be the best protocols based upon my ovarian reserve.
Excellent communication on all fronts by nurses. Great team!
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Very smooth operation. No glitches at all. Very polite front staff!
It was very quick and efficient. No issues at all
I paid about 12000 for 2 cycles and about 3000 dollars for the meds
Not applicable. I was doing egg freezing. Although, when I looked up his publications. I saw that Dr. Styer had published several interesting articles for eSET and he is known for this nationally.
2013 - 2015, Successful
On our first meeting, Dr. Souter explained the entire process very thoroughly and on each subsequent visit, I felt as though I knew what to expect next...I couldn't be happier with her as my doctor. After my failed IVF attempt (the second of three attempts), Dr. Souter called me personally to see how I was doing and to make a plan for moving forward with another cycle.
I met with most of the doctors on the team at MGH Fertility clinic, and have to say each of them made me feel the same way-- very comfortable and as though I was in good hands and that my situation was very important to them. [The nursing staff was] very kind and caring and very much on top of things!
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
On our first meeting, Dr. Souter explained the entire process very throughly and on each subsequent visit, I felt as though I knew what to expect next. I had even run into Dr. Souter out in public in my hometown (A suburb of Boston) and she couldn't have been more pleasant- she knew me by my first name, introduced me to her daughter, interacted with my daughter (and remembered her name) whom was conceived through IVF with Dr. Souter. I couldn't be happier with her as my doctor. After my failed IVF attempt (the second of three attempts), Dr. Souter called me personally to see how I was doing and to make a plan for moving forward with another cycle.
I think if I were to give one piece of advice to a prospective patient, it would be that having a child is a miracle and no matter how good your doctor is, it might not work. You have to have patience with the process.
In the three times I went through IVF with Dr. Souter, I always felt like both she and her team knew me as a person- I met with most of the doctors on the team at MGH Fertility clinic, and have to say each of them made me feel the same way-- very comfortable and as though I was in good hands and that my situation was very important to them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Very kind and caring and very much on top of things!

2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Dr. Sabitini is incredibly kind, and respectful. However I never feel like I had enough time in her office, and she was late for several of our planned phone calls.... Dr. Sabitini is brilliant. She specializes in infertility with cancer which is why she was the perfect fit for me. That said, I often feel rushed during our visits and always walk away with more questions.... She can have a tough bedside manner, but go in to your appointment ready to learn and with questions knowing that she is going to do everything she can to help you have a baby.
MGH is an incredible hospital with amazing staff. That said, they are all extremely busy and it would be nice to have more time per appointment because even though they have done this a million times, it’s my first experience and I’m terrified.... I have not received calls with all my test results although they do get posted online.... I am about to start IVF with ICSI and PGS. Dr. Sabitini recommended this treatment as I have a chronic cancer and have a very short window to conceive
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I am about to start IVF with ICSI and PGS. Dr. Sabitini recommended this treatment as I have a chronic cancer and have a very short window to conceive and carry a baby before my cancer relapses. This treatment will give me the best shot.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
We are still determining this.
What specific things went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Mary Sabatini
Boston
I am also a physician, but fertility is not my specialty. Dr. Styer [at MGH[ explained my diagnosis and treatment plan in both simple and complex terms. He was very down to earth and caring and was very sensitive about telling me I had a reduced number of eggs. He was very confident in my success given my age and he was right. He recommended going right to IVF although I am single. I am now 10 wks pregnant with twins!!! Very happy an
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr Styer and his nurse Cheryl were superb and always attentive to my questions and needs. I am completely satisfied!!! They were really good good about about holding my hand throughout the entire process and kept me positive even when I learned that I had a lower number of eggs.
No advice needed. The experience was great. He and his team gave me the best care!
I am also a physician, but fertility is not my specialty. Dr. Styer explained my diagnosis and treatment plan in both simple and complex terms. He was very down to earth and caring and was very sensitive about telling me I had a reduced number of eggs. He was very confident in my success given my age and he was right. He recommended going right to IVF although I am single. I am now 10 wks pregnant with twins!!! Very happy and satisfied with Dr, Styer's professional approach, expertise and sensitive approach to walking me through this difficult process.
I dont remember all of the shots. But I used Gonal G and Menopur and did Lupron with Flare protocol
Very organized and sensitive to my questions and concerns
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
It was one stop shopping with blood draws, ultrasounds and egg retrieval in one space
Boston
Dr.Styer really reviewed every piece of my history and made sure he had every part of my medical history. He really knew me as a patient. He went on to ask me about my professional life and genuinely cared about who I am as a person....I though being a fertility patient was going top be scary and hard. Dr. Styer and his nurse Cheryl really helped me find my way and take control of the process...He is great at answering questions and making you feel empowered to take control of your fertility.
The clinic [MGH - Danvers] downtown was well run and everyone was very kind...It was the most enjoyable experience I have had as a patient. I though being a fertility patient was going top be scary and hard. Dr. Styer and his nurse Cheryl really helped me find my way and take control of the process...They [nurses] always knew my name and who I was an got me through the process with flying colors.!...We then did PGS to test my embryos...
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
We used birth control pills for 2 weeks, then Gonal G, Menopur, antagonist, and upron trigger. We then did PGS to test my embryos. We could then transfer the single best normal embryos and it worked!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl and Toni)
They always knew my name and who I was an got me through the process with flying colors.!
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic downtown was well run and everyone was very kind
It was covered by insurance
He really emphasized the need to transfer one embryo to reduce my risk for twins. He really educated me on elective single embryo transfer
2017, 18 Eggs Frozen
He [Dr. Aaron Styer] was very patient with me!...I am a business professional and I am single and have watched all of my girlfriends get pregnant. I was quite anxious about what Dr. Styer was going to tell me about my eggs. From the first minute of the consult with him, he was so good to reassure me that I did was not obliged to do anything. He really laid out all of the options for fertility preservation and really helped me understand what the real pros and cons of egg freezing were.
[The nurses at Massachusetts General Hospital] They were all so god about walking me through every step of the process and really helped me when I felt really overwhelmed...Very well run clinic and answered all of my questions. Very easy for patients to communicate with the clinic. The staff were also incredible. They were very friendly when we came in for our visits. There were no weaknesses.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He was just so down to earth and did everything he could to answer my questions...no matter how anxious or emotional I got. He really made me feel like I was his only patient. It was the best experience I have had with any of my doctors!
I would suggest that any patient be as ope and honest with him. He is very responsive.
I am a business professional and I am single and have watched all of my girlfriends get pregnant. I was quite anxious about what Dr. Styer was going to tell me about my eggs. From the first minute of the consult with him, he was so good to reassure me that I did was not obliged to do anything. He really laid out all of the options for fertility preservation and really helped me understand what the real pros and cons of egg freezing were. He was very patient with me!
Birth control pills, Cetrotide, Gonal F and Menopur
Not appicable. I froze eggs
2010 - 2014, Successful
I would say to trust her. Dr. Shifren knows what she's doing. She's not overly aggressive with the treatments like some doctors...She was thorough but very efficient at the same time.
[My nurse at MGH] was very caring and thorough with the instructions given to me for all the medications etc. They remembered details of my husband as well although he did not visit the clinic as much as I did.
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
dr Shifren was professional and very thorough in explaining everything. i would say she's one of the best in her field. she was thorough but very efficient at the same time. she had great bedside manner as well. when I miscarried she called to say how sorry she was, and when I got pregnant (twice) she called to congratulate me and say how happy she is for me. I loved the nurse that supports her as well. I still frequently send her and dr Shifren photos of my daughters who she helped me bring to this world!
I would say to trust her. she knows what she's doing. she's not overly aggressive with the treatments like some doctors who gets you pregnant but will multiples which is high risk. she helped me get pregnant twice and I ended up with two singletons. Two healthy girls.
I talked to her nurse, Judy all the time. She was very caring and thorough with the instructions given to me for all the medications etc. They remembered details of my husband as well although he did not visit the clinic as much as I did.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Judy Shankman)
Compassionate, organized, and trustworthy
2012 - 2014, Successful
Dr. Shifren was great; very warm and friendly but honest. She was encouraging about our chances but realistic that it might be a rough road (which it was). Any time we hit a setback or made progress she personally called me with comfort or congrats. The only downside is that I didn't often see her in my regular (sometimes daily) clinic visits, but I wasn't bothered because I found all the doctors to be great and she was deifnitely reachable if needed.
They [the staff at MGH Fertility] were always warm, funny, and friendly. I really never had a bad experience with a nurse that I can remember. The office seems to run really efficiently. I rarely had a long wait. The front desk staff was a little blase but the interaction with them is minimal (and they were never unfriendly).
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Be patient....I think that's probably universal in the fertility process though.
Dr. Shifted is extremely warm and empathetic. I never felt rushed or like I couldn't talk with her. She personally called to check in with me several times outside of regular visits. All of the other doctors and nurses I saw were always positive, warm, and friendly. Even though they had tons of other patients lined up I felt like I got personal attention.
They were always warm, funny, and friendly. I really never had a bad experience with a nurse that I can remember. The office seems to run really efficiently. I rarely had a long wait. The front desk staff was a little blase but the interaction with them is minimal (and they were never unfriendly).
2013 - 2014, Successful
Dr. Toth was thorough and realistic. He had to deliver the news to us that my hormone levels did not meet insurance minimums for coverage of IVF. He made the recommendation to use the frozen embryo we had and suggested that our next option after that would be egg donor. While this was difficult news to hear, he was kind, took time with us and answered all of our questions....He took the time to talk to us. He delivered what was bad news in a very kind way and made suggestions while being clear it was our decision on how to proceed.
Excellent care. Specifically located in a private area of the hospital not close to OB-GYN. The office [MGH - Boston] is very busy so it sometimes got backed up but never anything too bad. I always felt that I was getting the best treatment in the country....[Nurse] Cheryl was terrific - always upbeat...We had to pay out of pocket for the frozen transfer. I believe it was $10,000...Dr. Toth was thorough and realistic.
How was your experience with Thomas Toth at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Toth at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He will be upfront about your reality of getting pregnant but will communicate it in a nice manner.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Toth at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the protocols Thomas Toth used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
We did a frozen embryo transfer. It resulted in a healthy 9 lb boy!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl)
Cheryl was terrific - always upbeat.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Excellent care. Specifically located in a private area of the hospital not close to OB-GYN. The office is very busy so it sometimes got backed up but never anything too bad. I always felt that I was getting the best treatment in the country.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Toth at Massachusetts General Hospital.
We had to pay out of pocket for the frozen transfer. I believe it was $10,000
Describe Thomas Toth's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Not applicable. I only had one embryo.
Thomas Toth
Boston
He simply made the whole process very manageable for me and really encouraged me to ask questions and be a real participant in my care. He really felt as though I was empowered to succeed and to take control of my infertility... Dr. Styer really tried to see me for all of my ultrasounds and procedures and really personalized everything for me. I even saw him out in public and he remembered everything about me. Very impressive!
The clinic [Massachusetts General Hospital] was very efficient and Dr. Styer's team really worked to get me to treatment as quickly as possible... Cheryl [a nurse] was always so comforting and really answered all of my questions.... Birth control pills, Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide and then a Lupron trigger. We transfrerred 2 blastocysts due to my age.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He really listens to what you have to say. I feel like some doctors provide lip service. He took my concerns and questions seriously.
Cheryl was always so comforting and really answered all of my questions.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic was very efficient and Dr. Styer's team really worked to get me to treatment as quickly as possible
all covered inusrance
Yes, he reviewed it in depth. But did not advise since I am almost 40 and were not not doing PGS
Danvers
Dr. Styer really listened to the emotional side of things. He held my hand and walked me through the process and offered a lot of great support and encouragement...Dr Styer has an excellent bedside manner. He was very knowledgeable and progressive, takes the time to listen to issues and go through your care. Too bad all my doctors aren't at his level. He gave us top notch care!..Clomid and gonal F with IUI
Great systems in place [at MGH - Danvers]. They really accommodate your needs...His [Dr. Styer's] nurse Cherly was great!...Dr Styer has an excellent bedside manner. He was very knowledgeable and progressive, takes the time to listen to issues and go through your care. Too bad all my doctors aren't at his level. He gave us top notch care!...Dr. Styer really listened to the emotional side of things. He held my hand and walked me through the process and offered a lot of great support and encouragement.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He really listens to what you have to say. You can ask him any question..no matter how big or small
Clomid and gonal F with IUI
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital.
His nurse Cherly was great!
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Great systems in place. They really accommodate your needs
Covered by insurance
He really treated us to reduce our risk for twins