Selling medication is not offered

52 Second Ave
Waltham, MA 02451

2018 - 2022, Successful
Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
[Massachusetts General Hospital is] Very organized and friendly reception, mostly on time, staff remember you by face or name, clean and quiet office. Fast phone call answers and quick call backs. The staff are very well versed at fertility care. The ultrasound technician Mimi is an absolute star. She can do dozens of ultrasounds an hour and still remember you and make you feel comfortable. She’s fast and accurate and very punctual.
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr Morris is very skilled, smart, and professional. At my first appointment she told us we would become parents. She always encouraged our input especially with regards to using fertility medications, genetic testing if desired and coordinated with my other care providers seamlessly. I always felt like she wanted us to succeed as much as we did. She always remembered details about our case. And she always included my husband in every decision and made sure he understood everything. She continues to show her professionalism and warmth through the good and bad results and I would recommend her to anyone who needs fertility treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Make the appointment. There are so many options for care, but this process is long and takes a lot of patience and a good support system.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr Morris always remembered my name, details about my case, my husband’s name and asked questions about my first child whom was born through her ivf care. When giving bad news to us I always felt like she felt sad too and overjoyed when we got good results. She made me believe I could become a mother and then helped make it happen. She also tried to keep us grounded by telling us to stay ‘cautiously optimistic’ when things were scary. I am a healthcare worker and she never dismissed my own knowledge and always made sure my husband, who is not in healthcare, understood what we were speaking about too. She is never too busy to reply. Her Nurse Kathy is a gem as well!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
Kathy is a great nurse. She always called when she said she would, she was always available during hours and happily took calls, she always remembered my case and was so excited when I became pregnant. She is kind and professional and also funny. Easy to talk to and gentle with bad news. She always contacted the doctor and got questions answered right away when needed.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Minimal costs for specialty medications, everything else covered by Massachusetts insurance.
Describe Mary Sabatini Morris's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I have a cardiac condition that requires oversight from a cardiology team that prefers reduced stressors be made on my heart. Dr Morris in conjunction with my Cardiologist recommend single transfers as the stress of a multiple pregnancy may cause excess stress on my heart.

2021 - 2022, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Souter] is caring, compassionate, and incredibly smart. She has adjusted my protocol during stims to meet my needs. She never gave up when I was a poor responder to medication...Take notes during visits with her! She is extremely detailed when explaining things which is fantastic. It's nice to be able to refer back later...First cycle was Flare protocol with OCP priming. (No eggs retrieved) Second was antagonist protocol with estrogen priming. (2 eggs retrieved, both immature)...
nurses Emily and Olivia [at Massachusetts General Hospital] are amazing. They are always prompt to respond to my messages or calls. They are always compassionate and thorough. And no question is too silly for them...They always have convenient appointment times available between their Boston and satellite locations. Whoever the on call doctor is is always fantastic and friendly. For morning monitoring appointments I'm always in and out within 15-20 minutes...
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr Souter (Dimitraidis) is an amazing RE. She is caring, compassionate, and incredibly smart. She has adjusted my protocol during stims to meet my needs. She never gave up when I was a poor responder to medication. I would recommend her to anyone that is looking for a caring and compassionate RE.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
MGH Fertility always talks to me with so much compassion. They are realistic in their expectations, however I feel they are invested in this fight with me. They always encourage me to keep going and not to give up.
Describe the protocols Irene Souter used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Emily & Olivia )
Her nurses Emily and Olivia are amazing. They are always prompt to respond to my messages or calls. They are always compassionate and thorough. And no question is too silly for them!
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
No complaints. They always have convenient appointment times available between their Boston and satellite locations. Whoever the on call doctor is is always fantastic and friendly. For morning monitoring appointments I'm always in and out within 15-20 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Pre pay for PGT-A testing ($2500) and ICSI ($1500). Everything else is fully covered by insurance.
Describe Irene Souter's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
When doing a frozen transfer they will only transfer one embryo. For fresh transfer they will do 2 embryos or more depending on quality.

2020 - 2022, Successful
[Dr. Mary Sabatini Morris] was always happy to see me, knew my case and details about my life I had shared...She made sure that as I had more failures and became a more complicated case that I had appointments with her every 3 weeks so I could ask questions and keep things moving...I know she really cares about us. I appreciated that Dr Morris was never one to push tests or treatments that aren’t scientifically proven to be significant in improving clinical outcomes. When I had preferences about my treatment, like supplementing progesterone bc I felt mine was low, she was amenable.
Dr Morris [at Massachusetts General Hospital] suggested single embryo transfer until we had two failed transfers...When I had failed transfers, she made time to see me so I could start new cycles right away even when it wasn’t on one of her normal appointment days. When I had OHSS after my first retrieval, she made sure I was seen by her in the office for scans daily and iv fluids...Given I’ve been at the clinic 2 years, the nurses all know me and are very caring and supportive. They are very quick to respond in the gateway portal.
Dr Morris was always happy to see me, knew my case and details about my life I had shared. Sometimes I’d remember exact details (like what my lining measured 2 transfers ago) that she might not remember off the top of her head, but I’d never expect her to keep that level of detail in mind, that’s what records are for. She made sure that as I had more failures and became a more complicated case that I had appointments with her every 3 weeks so I could ask questions and keep things moving. When I had failed transfers, she made time to see me so I could start new cycles right away even when it wasn’t on one of her normal appointment days. When I had OHSS after my first retrieval, she made sure I was seen by her in the office for scans daily and iv fluids. When I had a complication days before my second retrieval that could make retrieval risky, she made sure she was there for the retrieval to support Dr Seuter. She called to make sure I was ok after the complication and to talk through the risks of moving forward with the retrieval. Now that we’re finally pregnant, she made sure to come up during our first scan so she could see the heartbeat. I know she really cares about us. I appreciated that Dr Morris was never one to push tests or treatments that aren’t scientifically proven to be significant in improving clinical outcomes. When I had preferences about my treatment, like supplementing progesterone bc I felt mine was low, she was amenable. Despite the fact that she did not expect our case to take so long to conceive, she was always encouraging that we just needed to keep trying. That there was no reason it shouldn’t work for us. So far she was right, as we are in our first pregnancy now!
Get the direct number of her scheduler Carol and be vigilant in reaching out to schedule appointments. Dr Morris wants to see you, it’s sometimes just the bureaucracy of MGH that slows things down.
Dr Morris was always happy to see me, knew my case and details about my life I had shared. Sometimes I’d remember exact details (like what my lining measured 2 transfers ago) that she might not remember off the top of her head, but I’d never expect her to keep that level of detail in mind, that’s what records are for. She made sure that as I had more failures and became a more complicated case that I had appointments with her every 3 weeks so I could ask questions and keep things moving. When I had a complication days before retrieval, she made sure she was there for the retrieval to support Dr Seuter. She called to make sure I was ok and to talk through the risks of moving forward with the retrieval. Now that we’re finally pregnant, she made sure to come up during our first scan so she could see the heartbeat. I know she really cares about us.
Describe the protocols Mary Sabatini Morris used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
We first used clomid 7 times for 3 IUI cycles. I had difficulty ovulating, and then had a second ovarian torsion. It basically took a year to get me to safely ovulate. 3 IUIs failed. We did a OCP low dose Lupron cycle for first egg retrieval. We retrieved 28 eggs, 23 mature, 8 fertilized with conventional insemination, 5 frozen. We had to do freeze all because I was in severe pain and showing signs of ohss. I did ultimately have ohss for 2 weeks after retrieval. First frozen single embryo transfer we did a medicated cycle. It resulted in a chemical. My lining was thin despite an extra week of estrogen so we moved on to a modified natural protocol using Gonal F. We did this for transfers 2-5. No embryos from our first round of IVF stuck, despite transferring two in our fourth transfer. After two failed transfers we did a test for CE which was negative. After four failed transfers we did karyotype testing, also negative. Our second round of IVF we did an OCP antagonist cycle with Lupron trigger to avoid OHSS. Three days before retrieval I had an ovarian torsion and needed surgery. We missed one night of stims but carried on with retrieval. We got 15 eggs, 11 mature, 10 fertilized with ICSI, and 6 embryos frozen. Our fifth transfer with two new embryos was also a modified natural protocol with Gonal F. We are now 7 weeks pregnant with a singleton.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
You need to advocate for yourself. Be on top of scheduling follow up appointments with your Dr in case your treatment fails. Otherwise you’ll be waiting weeks for an appt and then weeks longer to start again. Insurance approvals take a while and add annoying bureaucracy but the coverage is great. MGH will go above and beyond for you. If you need extra tests or scans just ask. Get direct phone numbers for schedulers and finance office so you can get in touch more easily.
I only paid co pays because my insurance covered once I hit my deductible of $250.
Dr Morris suggested single embryo transfer until we had two failed transfers. Because we had 5 embryos, we decided to do eSET for the first three transfers then move to multiple embryo transfer for the fourth. When that failed we continued with multiple embryo transfer.

2016 - 2020, Unknown Success
My appointments with Dr. Morris (previously Sabatini) have always left me feeling hopeful, well taken care of, informed, and prepared. She has remembered details about my life and my first son despite the fact that our experience with her has spanned years. She is kind and warm, always gentle in her delivery...first pregnancy came after two rounds of Clomid/IUI. At the time, my ovarian reserve was lower than it should have been for my age and my husband's semen analysis was not strong either. She recommended IVF over IUI but supported our outlook on hoping we did not need it.
[Massachusetts General Hospital] is located in a clean & very well-maintained medical office building with abundant parking...staff is very friendly and organized from the receptionists to the lab technicians. Appointment times are abundant but sometimes run a bit delayed for early morning labwork and ultrasounds...[Nurse] can be a bit abrasive...shared over the phone that we would absolutely need IVF when I called to confirm test results. I felt it was not her place to give that news when we had not yet had a consultation to review results with Dr. Morris.
Dr. Morris has been and continues to be kind, informative, and direct in my care. She shares data, presents options, and offers her guidance and suggestions in a clear way. I have always felt heard and understood when sharing how we feel about certain treatments and her response is full of respect and support.
Advocate for yourself emotionally so that she can make an informed suggestion, equally important as a medical one!
My first pregnancy came after two rounds of Clomid/IUI. At the time, my ovarian reserve was lower than it should have been for my age and my husband's semen analysis was not strong either. She recommended IVF over IUI but supported our outlook on hoping we did not need it. During our attempt for a second child, she prescribed my husband 3x weekly Clomid and we attempted 6 rounds of Clomid/IUI (one was canceled due to high risk of multiples) in 2019, then three rounds of FSH/IUI at the start of 2020. Due to the Coronavirus, our final 3 FSH/IUI rounds were postponed and we plan to pursue IVF when our office reopens. Currently, my AMH has decreased significantly while my husbands stats continue to improve slightly with each treatment cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cathy )
Cathy is informative and through but can be a bit abrasive. My most prominent memory of her is from the very beginning of our experience with Dr. Morris' office in 2016 when she shared over the phone that we would absolutely need IVF when I called to confirm test results. I felt it was not her place to give that news when we had not yet had a consultation to review results with Dr. Morris.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic is located in a clean & very well-maintained medical office building with abundant parking. The staff is very friendly and organized from the receptionists to the lab technicians. Appointment times are abundant but sometimes run a bit delayed for early morning labwork and ultrasounds.
Up to this point, our IUI cycles and labwork have mostly been covered by our insurance provider. We plan to pay out of pocket for our IVF cycle and medication.
We do not have any experience to share but know that she elects to do eSet. We feel confident and very comfortable with a single embryo transfer.
Danvers

I first met Dr. Petrozza when I schedule an appointment with him to perform endometriosis surgery...He did an excellent job with my surgery and I owe my reproductive health to him. I’m currently in the process of doing my first IVF cycle with him...Even though I don’t see him at every appointment (for example, ultrasounds, etc.) I know I’m in great hands and at the end of the day Dr. Petrozza is the one reviewing my charts during my visits with him.
The clinic [at Massachusetts General Hospital] is really busy but well organized. Since starting my stims, I’ve been in and out in less than 30 minutes for both bloodwork and ultrasound...The nurses in the clinic have always been prompt. When I send an email I usually get a response within an hour. The financial department helped me with my insurance and always kept me in the loop.
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
When I was first diagnosed with stage IV endometriosis the GYN said she would have to remove my ovaries and since the endometriomas were so large, laparoscopy wasn’t an option for me. I ran away from her and the scheduled surgery. After a lot of research I decided Dr. Petrozza was the best doctor for me. He did an excellent job with my surgery and I owe my reproductive health to him. I’m currently in the process of doing my first IVF cycle with him. The most important thing is that I trust Dr. Petrozza with my health. Before the cycle started he ordered a number of tests and bloodwork so he can come up with the best treatment plan. What I love the most about him is that he explains everything in detail, tells me all the possible options with their advantages and disadvantages and then tells me his recommendation. With covid all my appointments with him have been virtual. He is always on time and when we meet, he has reviewed my labs and test results. I’m not sure if my IVF will work or not due to my advanced age and endometriosis. What I do know is that I’m in the best care possible and if I do end up pregnant, it will be because of Dr. Petrozza and his outstanding level of care. Even though I don’t see him at every appointment (for example, ultrasounds, etc.) I know I’m in great hands and at the end of the day Dr. Petrozza is the one reviewing my charts during my visits with him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
For me personally, I prefer facts and a doctor who is brutally honest and doesn’t give false hope. In all my interactions he has had great bedside manner. What I do recommend if making appointments in advance since he is extremely busy. For example, the day I finished my last test he had ordered, I called to make my follow up appointment knowing the results would be in by the time I see him. So be proactive when it comes to making appointments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I first met Dr. Petrozza when I schedule an appointment with him to perform endometriosis surgery. He took the time to explain all the different techniques he uses and which one he felt was the best option for me and why. Since the surgery, he’s always taken the time to explain things and provide me with the best treatment possible. He is smart, caring and compassionate. I never felt like another number. He always remembers me and my medical history.
Describe the protocols John Petrozza used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
I’m currently doing the estrogen priming patch protocol. In the middle of stims at the moment. He recommended this protocol due to my age and history of endometriosis.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Carol )
I cannot being to say how wonderful all the nurses and coordinators are. Carol always follows up immediately after my appointments. She is extremely helpful and organized. The nurses in the clinic have always been prompt. When I send an email I usually get a response within an hour. The financial department helped me with my insurance and always kept me in the loop. I had a lot of issues with my insurance and all the staff were extremely supportive during the process.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic is really busy but well organized. Since starting my stims, I’ve been in and out in less than 30 minutes for both bloodwork and ultrasound. I think the most I waited was 10 minutes. Most of the phlebotomists are great (this for me is a big plus since I don’t like needles). My best advice is to be on top of scheduling follow up appointments with your doctor and don’t wait for them to call you with an appointment. Like I said, they do get really busy. The test, u/s and bloodwork appointment are easy to get so you need not worry about that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I have insurance coverage
John Petrozza
Boston

While Dr. Souter is an extremely busy professional, we always felt like she made quality time for us during our visits. She reviewed any new results, was clear about our expectations, and patiently addressed any questions or concerns we had. We felt very well taken care of under her treatment... Because everything appeared relatively normal, Dr. Souter suggested 3 courses of IUI with Gonal-F before moving on to IVF. The first IUI resulted in me getting my period before the two week wait was up. The second course was a little odd - my body didn’t respond as quickly to the Gonal-F and appeared to wind up ovulating on its own, so we did an IUI without a trigger shot. I didn’t get my period for 26 days after the IUI, but tested negative for pregnancy. The third cycle went smoothly and I received a positive pregnancy beta test 16 days after the transfer. I’m now 13 weeks along with a healthy baby!
We called [Massachusetts General Hospital] in January 2019 and were going through our first IUI cycle by early May. (First consult was February, followed by all sorts of testing for both of us, followed by an additional consult to review the treatment plan). The only issue is how busy the clinic is - when coming in for blood and ultrasounds, I’d always recommend getting the earliest possible appointments, as the waiting room can fill up! But I was never there for more than an hour.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
As discussed earlier, Dr. Souter’s manner while meeting with her was consistently supportive, educational, and clear. We felt we always understood what our next steps would be, what risks were involved, and what chances we had of success. The only minor issue was how long we needed to wait between appointments to see her, but that’s just a product of how busy she is providing all of her patients with the same quality treatment.
Be proactive in scheduling any future consults. When our second IUI wasn’t successful, we preemptively scheduled our IVF consult to coincide with the third cycle of IUI, just to keep the ball in motion if the third cycle wasn’t successful.
All of our tests came back pretty normal, with the exception of some mild male factor issues (which improved with diet changes). Because everything appeared relatively normal, Dr. Souter suggested 3 courses of IUI with Gonal-F before moving on to IVF. The first IUI resulted in me getting my period before the two week wait was up. The second course was a little odd - my body didn’t respond as quickly to the Gonal-F and appeared to wind up ovulating on its own, so we did an IUI without a trigger shot. I didn’t get my period for 26 days after the IUI, but tested negative for pregnancy. The third cycle went smoothly and I received a positive pregnancy beta test 16 days after the transfer. I’m now 13 weeks along with a healthy baby!
The nursing staff were consistently pleasant and understanding. I felt extremely comfortable with them.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic is organized and for as busy as it is, you can get moving with treatment pretty quickly. We called in January 2019 and were going through our first IUI cycle by early May. (First consult was February, followed by all sorts of testing for both of us, followed by an additional consult to review the treatment plan). The only issue is how busy the clinic is - when coming in for blood and ultrasounds, I’d always recommend getting the earliest possible appointments, as the waiting room can fill up! But I was never there for more than an hour.
Our insurance is excellent - we only paid copays of $30/visit, including transfers and testing. The medicines were most expensive, at about $300/cycle.
We didn’t get to this point, but because I’m still under 35, with IVF we would have done just a single embryo transfer per IVF cycle.

2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Dr. Sabitini is incredibly kind, and respectful. However I never feel like I had enough time in her office, and she was late for several of our planned phone calls.... Dr. Sabitini is brilliant. She specializes in infertility with cancer which is why she was the perfect fit for me. That said, I often feel rushed during our visits and always walk away with more questions.... She can have a tough bedside manner, but go in to your appointment ready to learn and with questions knowing that she is going to do everything she can to help you have a baby.
MGH is an incredible hospital with amazing staff. That said, they are all extremely busy and it would be nice to have more time per appointment because even though they have done this a million times, it’s my first experience and I’m terrified.... I have not received calls with all my test results although they do get posted online.... I am about to start IVF with ICSI and PGS. Dr. Sabitini recommended this treatment as I have a chronic cancer and have a very short window to conceive
I am about to start IVF with ICSI and PGS. Dr. Sabitini recommended this treatment as I have a chronic cancer and have a very short window to conceive and carry a baby before my cancer relapses. This treatment will give me the best shot.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
We are still determining this.
What specific things went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Boston

He [Dr. Rein] immediately made me feel comfortable and was very compassionate. He was honest with me about everything but didn’t make me feel bad about anything. He’s always very good at explaining everything and takes the time to answer any and all questions i May have...The wait to see him for a consultation is worth it! You will love him!...was watched very carefully to avoid OHSS. I had 6 ultrasounds in 8 days. I triggered with HcG and retrieved 20 eggs.
staff [at Massachusetts General Hospital] were always on top of everything. The team of doctors and nurses were always available for questions and always kept you updated right away on plans and treatments...nurse Johanne was able to move my husbands urology and endocrinology appointments up for us because she know how important time was for infertility treatments
How was your experience with Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He immediately made me feel comfortable and was very compassionate. He was honest with me about everything but didn’t make me feel bad about anything. He’s always very good at explaining everything and takes the time to answer any and all questions i May have.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
The wait to see him for a consultation is worth it! You will love him!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I felt like Dr. Rein and his staff were always on top of everything. The team of doctors and nurses were always available for questions and always kept you updated right away on plans and treatments. His nurse Johanne was able to move my husbands urology and endocrinology appointments up for us because she know how important time was for infertility treatments
Describe the protocols Mitchell Rein used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
We did one IVF with icsi cycle so far. It included: birth control for 3 weeks, lupron 10u to prevent ovulation and then dropped to 5u after a week. Started menopur 75u and gonalf 150u for stimulation. I stimmed for 8 days total and was watched very carefully to avoid OHSS. I had 6 ultrasounds in 8 days. I triggered with HcG and retrieved 20 eggs. 19 of which were mature. 15 were fertilized and we ended up with 4 embryos
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Johanne Day )
Johanne was always on top of everything! She communicated with me and made sure i understood everything. She was always available to answer any questions i had (even if some where probably ridiculous)
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Super friendly and personable staff. Everyone makes you feel super comfortable even when you’re being poked and prodded. Early ultrasound and blood work hours (6:45am is the earliest). Very lean facility. Quick results uploaded to the patient online portal. Always on time with appointments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Not much besides copays
Describe Mitchell Rein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Dr. Rein only transfers 1 embryo unless you’re over the age of 35.
Danvers
I felt more than a human. I felt like a member of his family. [Dr. Rein] and his nurse were very attentive and responded to my patient portal messages very quickly... Dr Rein was even nice enough to contact me over the weekend on his person cell phone to check up on me. He comes highly recommended and I would be gladly to refer him to anyone!... He is very attentive and always answers any questions I have and is very patient. He is very compassionate and even goes above and beyond to check on your well being after a failed cycle or miscarriage.
Johanne is Dr. reins nurse [at Massachusetts General Hospital]. She’s amazing. Very attentive, prompt and organized...I would go in at 6:45 am every few days and I would be out at least by 7:05 which worked great with my work schedule!...My RE will not transfer multiple embryos until I have had two miscarriages per MGH protocol...Him and his nurse were very attentive and responded to my patient portal messages very quickly.
How was your experience with Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Dr Rein. I have nothing but good experiences at the clinic. He is very attentive and always answers any questions I have and is very patient. He is very compassionate and even goes above and beyond to check on your well being after a failed cycle or miscarriage.
He is the best doctor to see for your fertility issues. He is everything you would need and want in a fertility doctor.
I felt more than a human. I felt like a member of his family. Him and his nurse were very attentive and responded to my patient portal messages very quickly. They are very prompt. Dr Rein was even nice enough to contact me over the weekend on his person cell phone to check up on me. He comes highly recommended and I would be gladly to refer him to anyone!
First cycle he went with the traditional cycle for my egg retrieval and transfer. I ended up having a failed cycle. My second cycle was the same but resulted in a miscarriage. The only thing that could have been done a little different on my second cycle was to make sure my lining was optimal. But, he made the call and it worked. But ended in early miscarriage. For cycle number three which I’ll be starting in Novemeber of 2018 is to make sure my uterine lining is at its best.
Johanne is Dr. reins nurse. She’s amazing. Very attentive, prompt and organized
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Well, if Johanne isn’t in the office I feel like the office doesn’t run as smoothly. And maybe they don’t communicate as well as they should. They may want to work a little bit better at that. Rather than that, everyone and everything is great!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Very quick! I would go in at 6:45 am every few days and I would be out at least by 7:05 which worked great with my work schedule!
I only had a deductible with my insurance
Danvers
She [Dr. Jan Shifren] stressed that she works hard to not have patients become pregnant with multiples as it’s a high risk pregnancy...Listened to our history, walked through each step with us...She was very thorough at intake and checked in after every treatment. She made us feel very comfortable and met with us after each treatment to make sure that we knew what the next steps would be. She explained any and all risks when going through IUI and what the next steps would be if we did not conceive after the third IUI.
The clinic [Massachusetts General Hospital] had a lot of strengths: they were very flexible schedule, on time for all my appointments, really great communication and made themselves available for all my questions, and they made the process as a good as it could be. One thing to note is that the first appointment is very long. Expect to be there for at least 2 hours...The nursing staff was fantastic. Reassuring, positive and warm, they all made the process as good as it could be.
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
She can be a little tough in the beginning, but so very thorough and we felt like she listened to all of our concerns.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Listened to our history, walked through each step with us
Describe the protocols Jan Shifren used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
Based on my age and how long we had been trying, she recommended that my husband get tested since I had a normal period. His tests came back normal so we decided to go through IUI as it was less Invasive and a good starting point. If after three cycles we did not conceive, we would have moved to IVF. She stressed that she works hard to not have patients become pregnant with multiples as it’s a high risk pregnancy, but we became pregnant with twins. Come to find out we have twins on both sides of the family so that could have been the luck of the draw.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Judy)
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic had a lot of strengths: they were very flexible schedule, on time for all my appointments, really great communication and made themselves available for all my questions, and they made the process as a good as it could be. One thing to note is that the first appointment is very long. Expect to be there for at least 2 hours.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I had great insurance so it was all covered.
Jan Shifren
2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Souter is very direct which I like. She takes the medical care of her patients seriously and is hesitant to start with the most invasive course of action immediately. She also is receptive/concerned with the financial costs....She is very direct which may come off as harsh but when it matters she is supportive and kind including giving me a hug and holding my hand when learning of a miscarriage....While she may seem tough, she is there for you when it really matters.
[MGH - Boston] Strengths: they are very organized which helps with as much planning is possible during this process. US & bW happen in the morning followed by IUIs and then iVf and appts are a bit later. They are open 7 days /wk even during bad weather Weakness: there are many patients coming and going, it is a busy practice...All but one nurse showed compassion during the process. They are generally very responsive (you need to call and leave a message) and call back within a few hours. They were knowledgeable and very helpful. I worked with the nurses more than the dr during the process.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
While she may seem tough, she is there for you when it really matters.
I first visited Dr. Souter in 2015, when I returned in 2016 (nearly 2 year’s later) she remembered me. She is very direct which may come off as harsh but when it matters she is supportive and kind including giving me a hug and holding my hand when learning of a miscarriage.
1 unmediated IUi 2 medicated IUI 1 IVF cycle (flare) Low ovarian reserve
Co-pays
They have a chart that outlines how many embryos will be transferred during each cycle.
Boston

Aaron is very warm, hopeful, straightforward about diagnosis/options and clear about expectations. He is completely focused on the patient and is happy to either sit and answer questions/talk through things or get started with the treatment plan....He is an ideal choice for MD. He is kind, warm, patient, willing to sit and talk through options. He is super straightforward and clear with facts and comprehensive in the workup he prescribes to get a full picture of a couple's fertility.
Because the clinic is through MGH and they have such a high volume of patients, wait times can be brutal, but they do try to move along as fast as they can to get you in for your appointment....The nursing staff was kind. During my first two rounds of treatment that did not result in pregnancy, they acknowledged the disappointment and encouraged moving forward with another month...One day, when the wait was egregiously long, they gave out free parking stickers (a little treat in a place like Boston, ha!) and free coffee gift cards for the hospital cafeterias.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He is an ideal choice for MD. He is kind, warm, patient, willing to sit and talk through options. He is super straightforward and clear with facts and comprehensive in the workup he prescribes to get a full picture of a couple's fertility. We never felt rushed with Aaron, but we were eager to move forward with a treatment plan and he was happy to oblige. He was hopeful and positive and even encouraging when I became pregnant and didn't want to get my hopes up. I would recommend him to anyone--he was really wonderful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Feel free to be honest with him about your hopes and expectations. Because he is very straightforward and thorough in his explanations he will help to adjust expectations if necessary (I was not optimistic, and he encouraged my optimism) and fully explain the results of a workup to back up his opinions about treatment plans.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the protocols Aaron K. Styer used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
I have PCOS, but I ovulate regularly. When my husband and I wanted to try to conceive, knowing I had the PCOS diagnosis, I proactively went to Aaron Styer for a workup as soon as I had my IUD removed. Aaron offered to let my husband and I try to conceive naturally for a while, but mentioned that we might derive some benefit from the use of Clomid (to help guarantee well matured eggs and time ovulation) and a trigger shot to help with timing. We were eager to conceive, so we wanted to start with that. He said that we would try that protocol for 6 months. Before the third cycle of Clomid and the trigger shot, I mentioned that my luteal phases seemed short (~10 days), so he suggested trying progesterone vaginal inserts which I would use every night after ovulation was confirmed 2-3 days after the trigger shot. On our third cycle of Clomid + trigger shot and the first cycle in which I used progesterone, we conceived our daughter. That pregnancy resulted in a live birth.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital.
The nursing staff was kind. During my first two rounds of treatment that did not result in pregnancy, they acknowledged the disappointment and encouraged moving forward with another month, if I was comfortable and ready. Once I became pregnant, they were encouraging and friendly, very knowledgable and eager to support me in the early weeks before I was transferred to the OB/Midwife team.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The doctors and nursing staff are AMAZING. Because the clinic is through MGH and they have such a high volume of patients, wait times can be brutal, but they do try to move along as fast as they can to get you in for your appointment. One day, when the wait was egregiously long, they gave out free parking stickers (a little treat in a place like Boston, ha!) and free coffee gift cards for the hospital cafeterias. It doesn't solve the annoyance of having to wait for a long time, but it is something and I know they try hard. I do think they're worth waiting for, though!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
A few $15 co-pays for MD visits and some small prescription medication co-pays. My treatment and all medication was covered by my insurance.
Describe Aaron K. Styer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
We never got to IVF, but Aaron Styer had a strong preference for transferring a single embryo for several transfers in women under 35--which he discussed with me, should we have gone the IVF route. He was more open to multiple embryo transfer after subsequent IVF failure or in women over 35.
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
1 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
She [Dr. Souter] is extremely knowledgeable and friendly and takes her time with you answering all questions. However she ups your anxiety about when I got a positive for a possible genetic issue that was not big deal when I went to genetic counseling. She was also pretty pessimistic about my 15% of getting pregnant...Dr answered all my questions and took ample time, she was friendly...I just didn't have a partner.
You get more personalized care because it's small [MGH - Boston]. The doctors are extremely knowledgeable. They don't do more extreme procedures....[nurses] They responded quickly to calls but did not provide a video to teach you how to inject meds. I had to watch YouTube videos to learn...When I complained about error was rudely told I should not come here if I was not prepared to pay all out of pocket.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
She is extremely knowledgeable and friendly and takes her time with you answering all questions. However she ups your anxiety about when I got a positive for a possible genetic issue that was not big deal when I went to genetic counseling. She was also pretty pessimistic about my 15% of getting pregnant. Statistics include both when with issues and women who are just older. Many women in my family got pregnant naturally in their 40's. I just didn't have a partner. I was not surprised when I got pregnant on the first ivf try.
Go to her because she is good but know that she can make you a bit anxious and is overly cautious to not get your hopes up.
The clinic is small, the nurses call you back quickly, Dr answered all my questions and took ample time, she was friendly.
Standard ivf - patches, suppositories, and PIO injections.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
You get more personalized care because it's small. The doctors are extremely knowledgeable. They don't do more extreme procedures like other places but I think that's a good thing because the priority is to keep you healthy.
$10000
She said to transfer two embryos to give me a chance.
What specific things went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I specifically asked how much treatment would cost and was told insurance would cover it all so I started treatment and mid treatment told me they made a mistake and insurance would only cover most of meds but not transfer and other procedures so I had to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket. When I complained about error was rudely told I should not come here if I was not prepared to pay all out of pocket.
Boston
He [Dr. Aaron Styer] made special arrangements to do both of my retrievals and made me feel like I was his only patient and paid special attention to me. He checked in several times and made me feel very well cared for . I must say that as a physician, I am very critical by nature. And I felt that every aspect of his care was thoughtful and compassionate...Since I had diminished ovarian reserve, Dr. Styer utilized a estrogen patch protocol with a total of 450 units of Gonal F and Menopur and then an antagonist. Second cycle was same does of meds but a microdose Flare. Very similar high response which a pleasant surpise given my ovarian reserve
He [Dr. Aaron Styer] made special arrangements to do both of my retrievals and made me feel like I was his only patient and paid special attention to me. He checked in several times and made me feel very well cared for . I must say that as a physician, I am very critical by nature. And I felt that every aspect of his care was thoughtful and compassionate...Excellent communication on all fronts by nurses [at MGH] . Great team!
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He made special arrangements to do both of my retrievals and made me feel like I was his only patient and paid special attention to me. He checked in several times and made me feel very well cared for . I must say that as a physician, I am very critical by nature. And I felt that every aspect of his care was thoughtful and compassionate.
He is a great doctor and really takes his time to listen to what you have to say.
Dr. Styer was great about really explaining all details with me about eggs freezing. I am a physician and single woman. He was so patient with explaining the technical aspects of eggs freezing and helping me to understand what would be the best protocols based upon my ovarian reserve.
Excellent communication on all fronts by nurses. Great team!
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Very smooth operation. No glitches at all. Very polite front staff!
It was very quick and efficient. No issues at all
I paid about 12000 for 2 cycles and about 3000 dollars for the meds
Not applicable. I was doing egg freezing. Although, when I looked up his publications. I saw that Dr. Styer had published several interesting articles for eSET and he is known for this nationally.
Danvers
I am also a physician, but fertility is not my specialty. Dr. Styer [at MGH[ explained my diagnosis and treatment plan in both simple and complex terms. He was very down to earth and caring and was very sensitive about telling me I had a reduced number of eggs. He was very confident in my success given my age and he was right. He recommended going right to IVF although I am single. I am now 10 wks pregnant with twins!!! Very happy an
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr Styer and his nurse Cheryl were superb and always attentive to my questions and needs. I am completely satisfied!!! They were really good good about about holding my hand throughout the entire process and kept me positive even when I learned that I had a lower number of eggs.
No advice needed. The experience was great. He and his team gave me the best care!
I am also a physician, but fertility is not my specialty. Dr. Styer explained my diagnosis and treatment plan in both simple and complex terms. He was very down to earth and caring and was very sensitive about telling me I had a reduced number of eggs. He was very confident in my success given my age and he was right. He recommended going right to IVF although I am single. I am now 10 wks pregnant with twins!!! Very happy and satisfied with Dr, Styer's professional approach, expertise and sensitive approach to walking me through this difficult process.
I dont remember all of the shots. But I used Gonal G and Menopur and did Lupron with Flare protocol
Very organized and sensitive to my questions and concerns
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
It was one stop shopping with blood draws, ultrasounds and egg retrieval in one space
Boston
Dr.Styer really reviewed every piece of my history and made sure he had every part of my medical history. He really knew me as a patient. He went on to ask me about my professional life and genuinely cared about who I am as a person....I though being a fertility patient was going top be scary and hard. Dr. Styer and his nurse Cheryl really helped me find my way and take control of the process...He is great at answering questions and making you feel empowered to take control of your fertility.
The clinic [MGH - Danvers] downtown was well run and everyone was very kind...It was the most enjoyable experience I have had as a patient. I though being a fertility patient was going top be scary and hard. Dr. Styer and his nurse Cheryl really helped me find my way and take control of the process...They [nurses] always knew my name and who I was an got me through the process with flying colors.!...We then did PGS to test my embryos...
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
We used birth control pills for 2 weeks, then Gonal G, Menopur, antagonist, and upron trigger. We then did PGS to test my embryos. We could then transfer the single best normal embryos and it worked!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl and Toni)
They always knew my name and who I was an got me through the process with flying colors.!
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic downtown was well run and everyone was very kind
It was covered by insurance
He really emphasized the need to transfer one embryo to reduce my risk for twins. He really educated me on elective single embryo transfer
2017, 18 Eggs Frozen
He [Dr. Aaron Styer] was very patient with me!...I am a business professional and I am single and have watched all of my girlfriends get pregnant. I was quite anxious about what Dr. Styer was going to tell me about my eggs. From the first minute of the consult with him, he was so good to reassure me that I did was not obliged to do anything. He really laid out all of the options for fertility preservation and really helped me understand what the real pros and cons of egg freezing were.
[The nurses at Massachusetts General Hospital] They were all so god about walking me through every step of the process and really helped me when I felt really overwhelmed...Very well run clinic and answered all of my questions. Very easy for patients to communicate with the clinic. The staff were also incredible. They were very friendly when we came in for our visits. There were no weaknesses.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He was just so down to earth and did everything he could to answer my questions...no matter how anxious or emotional I got. He really made me feel like I was his only patient. It was the best experience I have had with any of my doctors!
I would suggest that any patient be as ope and honest with him. He is very responsive.
I am a business professional and I am single and have watched all of my girlfriends get pregnant. I was quite anxious about what Dr. Styer was going to tell me about my eggs. From the first minute of the consult with him, he was so good to reassure me that I did was not obliged to do anything. He really laid out all of the options for fertility preservation and really helped me understand what the real pros and cons of egg freezing were. He was very patient with me!
Birth control pills, Cetrotide, Gonal F and Menopur
Not appicable. I froze eggs
Danvers
He simply made the whole process very manageable for me and really encouraged me to ask questions and be a real participant in my care. He really felt as though I was empowered to succeed and to take control of my infertility... Dr. Styer really tried to see me for all of my ultrasounds and procedures and really personalized everything for me. I even saw him out in public and he remembered everything about me. Very impressive!
The clinic [Massachusetts General Hospital] was very efficient and Dr. Styer's team really worked to get me to treatment as quickly as possible... Cheryl [a nurse] was always so comforting and really answered all of my questions.... Birth control pills, Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide and then a Lupron trigger. We transfrerred 2 blastocysts due to my age.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He really listens to what you have to say. I feel like some doctors provide lip service. He took my concerns and questions seriously.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl)
Cheryl was always so comforting and really answered all of my questions.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic was very efficient and Dr. Styer's team really worked to get me to treatment as quickly as possible
all covered inusrance
Yes, he reviewed it in depth. But did not advise since I am almost 40 and were not not doing PGS
Danvers
Dr. Styer really listened to the emotional side of things. He held my hand and walked me through the process and offered a lot of great support and encouragement...Dr Styer has an excellent bedside manner. He was very knowledgeable and progressive, takes the time to listen to issues and go through your care. Too bad all my doctors aren't at his level. He gave us top notch care!..Clomid and gonal F with IUI
Great systems in place [at MGH - Danvers]. They really accommodate your needs...His [Dr. Styer's] nurse Cherly was great!...Dr Styer has an excellent bedside manner. He was very knowledgeable and progressive, takes the time to listen to issues and go through your care. Too bad all my doctors aren't at his level. He gave us top notch care!...Dr. Styer really listened to the emotional side of things. He held my hand and walked me through the process and offered a lot of great support and encouragement.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He really listens to what you have to say. You can ask him any question..no matter how big or small
Clomid and gonal F with IUI
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital.
His nurse Cherly was great!
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Great systems in place. They really accommodate your needs
Covered by insurance
He really treated us to reduce our risk for twins

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr. Rein took the time to answer all of my questions; when I'd meet with his nurse, he'd brief her on what was discussed as well, so we were all on the same page... Dr. Rein has always acknowledged the hardships of infertility. He has also provided me with statistics, examples, and conversation around anything that's come up. Additionally, after our failed IVF cycle, his nurse sent our information to his social worker, who called to check-in and check-up with us to see how we were handling things.
One thing that we really like about MGH is that they convene a panel discussion before every protocol is released to the patient. I believe the panel has eight REs on it and we like that more eyes are able to offer opinions on what might be best for us. The downside of this is that the REs take weeks where they do retrievals/transfers, so I didn't have my RE do either of mine... Communication is a strength, as we never wondered what might/might not be happening that day.
How was your experience with Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Rein met with me after my husband and I decided to change to a new clinic. We talked about the history, concerns, and he answered any and all questions I had. My husband and I had a follow-up appointment with him after all of the preliminary testing; he gave us statistics, his professional opinion/recommendation, and then the decision was ours to make. We left knowing what to expect both in terms of the procedures and with the risks associated/potential outcomes. We didn't meet with him during the IVF cycle (another doctor did both my retrieval and transfer, which is common at our clinic); but they scheduled an appointment me with us just after the negative beta came in. There, he discussed with me what happened and the next plan to help us bring a baby into our family.
His personality can seem dry and stand-offish; he does not strike me as a 'hand-holder', so if that's what you need then he will not be a good fit. Personally, we really like him because he delivers information in a very straightforward manner, but it's not for everyone.
Dr. Rein took the time to answer all of my questions; when I'd meet with his nurse, he'd brief her on what was discussed as well, so we were all on the same page. He also didn't try to make light of our situation; infertility is frustrating, anger-inducing, emotional, and a number of other feelings; our first RE used try to make jokes, which always made me feel like my feelings weren't legitimate. Dr. Rein has always acknowledged the hardships of infertility. He has also provided me with statistics, examples, and conversation around anything that's come up. Additionally, after our failed IVF cycle, his nurse sent our information to his social worker, who called to check-in and check-up with us to see how we were handling things.
I started with 3 weeks of birth control; then Lupron injections for 20 days/Gonal F & Menopur for 11. Then I had my trigger and retrieval. He told us originally that most embryos do not make it to day 5 and to expect a 3-day transfer, but ours did make it to day 5. He was clear that due to my age and the unexplianed infertility diagnosis, that he would not put more than one embryo back, so one was transfered. Beta testing was 13 days later. Everything mostly went as planned, except that they had to increase the dosage for the GonalF/Menopur (doubled both, we think) because I wasn't responding quickly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Joanne & Anita)
My husband and I both liked the nurses with whom we worked. They were really great about delivering information to us each afternoon after bloodwork/US and were willing and able to answer all of our questions stemming from those calls and any others we placed. We never felt like we were inconveniencing them or that our questions were being brushed off. When our cycle failed, one of the nurses made sure the social worker reached out to check-in/up on us, which we thought showed a commitment to full-circle care. Both nurses aren't particularly chatty or 'warm' but they were honest and straightforward with answers. We like them a lot and trust them completely.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
We go to MGH in the Danvers office after doing some initial testing at BostonIVF. One thing that we really like about MGH is that they convene a panel discussion before every protocol is released to the patient. I believe the panel has eight REs on it and we like that more eyes are able to offer opinions on what might be best for us. The downside of this is that the REs take weeks where they do retrievals/transfers, so I didn't have my RE do either of mine. The good thing with this is that the doctor who did my actual transfer is the same doctor who did my mock transfer; and the doctor who did my retrieval is the same one who did my last ultrasound beforehand, so I was already familiar with them before the procedures. MGH does all of their bloodwork and ultrasound monitoring in the early mornings before work, which was helpful; and they deliver the results via the portal once they've been released as well as through a phonecall by the nurse the same afternoon. Communication is a strength, as we never wondered what might/might not be happening that day. While we were able to do all of our monitoring at a satellite location, both the retrieval and transfer were done at the hospital in Boston. The staff there, as well, were pleasant.
The IVF fresh cycle (without meds) was about $10k; the frozen transfer was $3000+. Meds for my first cycle were $3600 (insurance covered about $1600); meds for the frozen transfer are TBD.
Danvers
She [Dr Lippincott] is conservative--I consider this a good thing in her approach, but it may be something that some people are concerned about. Personally, I felt very comfortable with her--she was not cavalier about risks to either my health or that of my potential children. I'm in the medical field, and have seen severe side effects of fertility treatment, as well as bad outcomes in premature multiples--because of all of this, I felt much more comfortable with someone who tends towards the conservative end. It's also possible that I did not see the full range of what she would be willing to do, as my fertility issues were (thankfully!) resolved with treatments that were on the simpler end.
I honestly felt very comfortable with the clinic. Initial wait times were long, but I called back and lucked into a cancellation within 2 weeks. Dr Lippincott and Judy Adams were both very available and I felt very much that I was in good hands. Only limitation--and thankfully I did not have to deal with this much--the MGH lab is incredibly slow, and I have sat for more than an hour's wait to get blood drawn. Thankfully they very rarely asked bloodwork except right at the beginning of my workup and at the end, when confirming pregnancy.
How was your experience with Margaret Lippincott at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr Lippencott was always thorough and detail-oriented, but warm. I always felt like she wanted me to understand all of the possibilities and pros/cons of our decisions, but it really felt like I was a partner in the decision making. She was very accessible (although of course I tried not to abuse this!) and answered any questions fully. I never felt rushed by her. I worked more directly with the ultrasound technologist, but Dr Lippencott would always be available for consultation regarding the plan.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Margaret Lippincott at Massachusetts General Hospital?
She is conservative--I consider this a good thing in her approach, but it may be something that some people are concerned about. Personally, I felt very comfortable with her--she was not cavalier about risks to either my health or that of my potential children. I'm in the medical field, and have seen severe side effects of fertility treatment, as well as bad outcomes in premature multiples--because of all of this, I felt much more comfortable with someone who tends towards the conservative end. It's also possible that I did not see the full range of what she would be willing to do, as my fertility issues were (thankfully!) resolved with treatments that were on the simpler end.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Margaret Lippincott at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr Lippincott was always thorough and detail-oriented, but warm. I always felt like she wanted me to understand all of the possibilities and pros/cons of our decisions, but it really felt like I was a partner in the decision making. She was very accessible (although of course I tried not to abuse this!) and answered any questions fully. I never felt rushed by her.
Describe the protocols Margaret Lippincott used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
I had previously done 3 cycles of unmonitored Clomid (1 cycle on 50mg and 2 on 100mg), and only ovulated on the last cycle (2 follicles). Dr Lippincott diagnosed me with PCOS based on my US and confirmed that I probably had not ovulated in the prior year (I had been using urine ovulation tests without ever getting a positive line, until the last cycle of Clomid). With Dr Lippincott, she had me come in for ultrasounds on day 3 (confirm ovulation and how many follicles ovulated) and day 12-13 (confirm if a dominant follicle present). Based on the size of the dominant follicle, I would either come back in on day 16-17 (if it was not large enough to be able to confirm what day it would be mature), or they would estimate the date of follicle maturity from the day 12-13 scan. I would then administer HCG and do timed intercourse. I did this for two cycles. On my 3rd cycle with Dr Lippincott, we decided to add on an IUI; again, I did US on day 3 and day 12-13; because my follicle was still too small, we repeated an US on day 16, did HCG injection on day 16, then did an IUI on day 18. Thankfully this was enough for us!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Judy Adams (actually the ultrasonographer, who was usually my point person if not Dr Lippincott))
I did not actually work with any nursing staff. My primary point person was Judy Adams, the ultrasonographer, who was great--warm and very responsive, and also very good.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Margaret Lippincott at Massachusetts General Hospital.
We were lucky- covered by insurance. We have a high-deductible plan; after the discount from the insurance, we paid ~$200 per US (so $400 per cycle) plus $500 for the IUI. (With the high-deductible plan, until we meet our out of pocket, we expect to pay $150-$200 per doctor's appointment--so don't take this as the amount you would pay if you had a more conventional plan.) Clomid is pretty cheap.
Margaret Lippincott

2014 - 2015, Successful
[Dr. Sabatini] was readily available, despite her busy schedule...during my second ectopic we decided to go right to surgery...she really wanted to be the one with me in surgery...that evening Dr. Sabatini was there. After working all day in Danvers, she made it into Boston that evening to help with the surgery...She reminded me of the complications that can arise with a multiple pregnancy...we transferred both and I was lucky that both implanted, but I lost one around 7 weeks. The other is now going to be 4 in June
The nursing staff [at Massachusetts General Hospital] was amazing...There were 2 nurses I dealt with that always returned my calls and called with test results when they said they would...The office was always clean, appointments were always running on time, everyone in the office was friendly...My husband wasn't always able to come with me because of work, but I truly felt as though I had a friend with me when she was my tech...I was always able to get an early appointment
I liked Dr. Sabatini instantly. From our first consult meeting my husband and I felt at ease and could see she was extremely knowledgeable in her area. She was constantly checking in and following up with us. She was readily available, despite her busy schedule. We went through a lot together. Dr. Sabatini offered support during my losses and throughout my one success. Even years after being her patient when I suffered yet another ectopic she responded to my email with compassion and support. My husband and I were debating trying again and we figured if Dr. Sabatini would still be working with us then we will. The one IVF cycle that brought me my son she was a major part of. Its rare for your doctor to complete both the retrieval and the transfer. I was fortunate enough to have Dr. Sabatini complete both and I believed all the positive energy and expertise helped bring my son into this world. For that I will always be grateful.
Book as soon as possible, I've found this time around her availability is slim. Also, speak your mind, be open and honest. Don't be afraid to disagree with her. She will take your thoughts and opinions into account. On my 5th round of IVF we had 2 really good embryos ready to transfer. She felt confident transferring one and I told her I'd really rather go with two. And she asked me over and over if I was sure because of the complications that can happen in a multiple pregnancy. I felt strongly about 2, and she told me she was confident with one and freezing the other. I asked her for 2 because in the past I had only had 1 implant and lost it early in pregnancy even with 2 transferred. She told me it was my call and we went with 2. They both implanted, and I lost one of them early on. The other is now going to be 4 in June. When I went back to see her after I had been released from her care she told me she was glad I went with my gut and had 2 transferred. So don't be afraid to disagree or want something they may not.
Dr. Sabatini definitely made me feel like a human. I will always remember during my second ectopic we decided to go right to surgery. She was booked in the office all day, however, she told me she really wanted to be the one with me in surgery. Well, I went to MGH Boston after being seen in Danvers to wait for a room and surgery. Well, I was prepped for surgery and when I came out of surgery that evening Dr. Sabatini was there. After working all day in Danvers, she made it into Boston that evening to help with the surgery or be there when I woke up. I was shocked to see her and also so glad. That convinced I was in good hands.
It's been about 5 years and my memory isn't very good. We used ICSI after the first round resulted in few eggs being fertilized. We also used assisted hatching. This time around during our consult and planning we discussed upping my dosage because I'm older and I had few eggs produced in my earlier cycles. This may also be our last go for IVF since I will have reached the last cycle covered by insurance. I'm not sure of the specifics.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
The nursing staff was amazing. They were on top of it all. There were 2 nurses I dealt with that always returned my calls and called with test results when they said they would. They were always available to answer questions and always made sure I felt comfortable and understood my test results. I never felt rushes through phone conversations or visits. They were kind and compassionate throughout my losses and celebrated my success as well. The entire staff at the Danvers office was amazing. The nurses I had for the retrievals and transfers were also some of the best. Truly there to help us feel comfortable and support us through such a difficult time and overwhelming experience.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic was wonderful. Just walking through the door I felt welcomed. The office was always clean, appointments were always running on time, everyone in the office was friendly. This was for both Danvers and Boston. I will say there was one ultrasound tech who I always looked forward to seeing. She was the best and always made it less stressful. She was always smiling and happy to see you. My husband wasn't always able to come with me because of work, but I truly felt as though I had a friend with me when she was my tech. She was so empathetic when we realized the pregnancy ended early. She was compassionate when we realized another pregnancy was ectopic. I will say keeping the same staff though the years really helped me feel more comfortable and at ease. After had my son I wanted to go back just to show everyone what they had helped me bring into the world. I send them our Christmas cards each year, I've sent thank you cards to the staff and doctor after he was born. I was so grateful to have such a supportive community throughout the entire process which went on for about 2 years.
The schedule worked so well for me. I was teaching at the time and needed the earliest appointment so that I could still get to work on time. I was always able to get an early appointment. I think there was one time that I had actually waited a while- I don't remember what caused the wait but they were very apologetic. Also it wasn't common to wait to be taken in so I wasn't upset.
I was very fortunate to have my costs covered by my insurance. I was only responsible for Co pays.
For each of my 3 cycles I had 2 embryos transferred. Dr. Sabatini only performed one of the transfers and she felt confident transferring 1. I really wanted both transfered. Due to my history of only one implanting and the many losses I suffered, I think she agreed. She reminded me of the complications that can arise with a multiple pregnancy and I still preferred both to be transferred. Well, we transferred both and I was lucky that both implanted, but I lost one around 7 weeks. The other is now going to be 4 in June.

Egg Freezing With Other Docs
She talked too fast, used lots of jargon, and because I had come to her from another clinic (for IUIs) I think she thought I knew more than I did about IVFs, which can be very different... Dr. Souter leans more towards pragmatic and blunt and could improve her bedside manner, but I have not doubted her decisions, protocols or care.
My care team was wonderful, even the receptionist remembered my name. They were always current on my case, got excited when news was good, and called to check on me when news was bad. I received hugs and tender touches when I needed them. My personal circumstances aside, almost every interaction I had with team members was extremely positive.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I will say, my first interaction with Dr. Souter was not ideal. She talked too fast, used lots of jargon, and because I had come to her from another clinic (for IUIs) I think she thought I knew more than I did about IVFs, which can be very different. Occasionally her accent was hard to understand. I am in healthcare and was a little lost. My husband was totally overwhelmed! My second meeting with her one-on-one went much more smoothly and she even turned her computer monitor to show me actual numbers and details, something I very much appreciated. Dr. Souter leans more towards pragmatic and blunt and could improve her bedside manner, but I have not doubted her decisions, protocols or care.
Do your homework. Learn about IVF terminology and the process. Bring a notebook to take notes and go prepared with questions since your time with her is limited. Also, do not be afraid to ask for further clarification if you don't understand something. She is very straightforward. If you are overly sensitive (not that I am not...because who isn't?) then maybe think about another doctor, though I don't know who would be best, maybe Dr. Sabatini. Call to ask the clinic.
Cycle #1: OCP/Low Dose Lupron. 21 days of Apri birth control. Lupron injection 10 units x 10 days. Lupron injection 5 units x 10 days. Gonal-f 150 IU and Menopur 150 IU injections x 10 days. HCG injection. Ampicillin, Cefoxitin, Methylprednisolone, baby aspirin (81mg), 50 mg IM injection Progesterone. Valium for transfer. Vivelle dots 2 patches every other day. Personally, I did not respond well to this protocol. I only had 5 eggs, 4 were mature, and only 1 fertilized normally. This was transferred and the cycle was not successful. Cycle #2: OCP/Antagonist. 21 days of Apri birth control. Gonal-f 300 IU and Menopur 150 IU injections x 11 days. Ganirelix Acetate pre-filled syringe 250 mcg x 6 days. HCG injection. Ampicillin, Cefoxitin, Methylprednisolone, baby aspirin (81mg), 50 mg IM injection Progesterone. Valium for transfer. Vivelle dots 2 patches every other day. I had a drastically improved response on this protocol . 18 eggs retrieved (even from my quiet ovary), 9 went on to ICSI, 7 fertilized normally, 4 made it to day 5. 1 was transferred and 3 were frozen. I became pregnant, but unfortunately it was ectopic and I had to have surgery to remove my tube. There is a slight increased risk of ectopics with IVF. Cycle #3: Cryopreserved Blastocyst Transfer. 21 days of Apri birth control. Lupron injection 10 units x 28 days. Vivelle dots varying patches every other day x 24+ days. Endometrin tabs 100mg. Ampicillin, Methylprednisolone, baby aspirin (81mg), 50 mg IM injection Progesterone. Valium for transfer. "Textbook cycle and transfer" with 1 frozen embryo, results TBD.
Their compassion and genuine interest in your success!

2014 - 2015, Successful
Dr Styer provided an exceptional experience for my husband and myself. He always took the time to explain the procedures, options and provide a recommendation. He was compassionate to the situation but not overly coddling...Take notes in your initial appt. he provides many options and details on what can be done. It is quite overwhelming in nature and in hindsight I should have taken notes vs remembering from memory.
MGH IVF was an all inclusive practice with everything from your appts, lab work, and surgery procedures happening right at Yawkey which made it extremely convenient....Dr Styers team is a pod you consistently seen by at your appts. Cheryl is the primary nurse and Amazing. She felt like my mom was with me at my appts. Extremely warm and attentive.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
As per my previous comment, Dr Styer provided an exceptional experience for my husband and myself. He always took the time to explain the procedures, options and provide a recommendation. He was compassionate to the situation but not overly coddling. I 100% would recommend him to anyone needing fertility treatments.
Dr Styer always took the time to explain or options, how and why treatments went the way they did and provided a recommendation on what he would do next if he was in our situation. We had seen a female dr in the practice initially and struggled with her overly coddling personality. We were recommended to Dr Styer for his bedside manner and direct personality and were exceptionally pleased.
I had two potential ectopic pregnancies before seeking fertility treatment. Dr styer started with a round of clomid, then two iuis with different drug doses and ultimately moved to Ivf.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl )
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
I was very fortunate to have insurance cover my entire procedure with the exception of my deductible.
2012 - 2015, Successful
I felt like a human because she [Dr. Sabatini] built such a nice relationship with my husband and I...She really took the time to understand what our goals were, What we were willing to go through, and then break down our options...Due to my age and my reasons for infertility, she recommended eSET which we completely agreed with...was incredibly caring when we were under her care. from the moment we met her we felt confident in her abilities and process. In our first consultation visit she explained everything so well to us.
The MGH clinic was one of the best run healthcare offices I have worked with. They really have their operations down. I never had an issue getting an appointment when I needed one. I never had to wait too long...I don't recall having any poor experiences [with the nurses]. The clinic runs really well and I always received calls when expected and with the appropriate level of compassion...the clinic has specific protocols that they use. I reacted very well to their standard protocols.
Dr. Sabatini was incredibly caring when we were under her care. from the moment we met her we felt confident in her abilities and process. In our first consultation visit she explained everything so well to us. She really took the time to understand what our goals were, What we were willing to go through, and then break down our options. I recommended her to another friend who also loved her. Dr. Sabatini is one of the best doctors I have ever had. Fertility treatment is hard and she was incredibly understanding of that and helped make it as smooth as possible.
Trust her!
I felt like a human because she built such a nice relationship with my husband and I.
It has been so long now since my first fresh cycle. I don't know if doctors that their own protocol but I know the clinic has specific protocols that they use. I reacted very well to their standard protocols. For my fresh cycle, I used Lupron, Follistim or gonal-F, menopur, ovidrel trigger I believe, steroids and antibiotics before transfer as well as injectable progesterone and an estrogen patch. My two fresh cycles were pretty long to start which initiated with lupron and estrogen patches. As we neared transfer, I used estrogen patches, progesterone suppositories and progesterone injections.
I don't recall having any poor experiences. The clinic runs really well and I always received calls when expected and with the appropriate level of compassion.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
I had incredible health insurance and only needed to pay a copay for medication. I don't think I ever spend more than $140 per cycle out of pocket.