Selling medication is not offered

Waltham, MA 02451
617-726-8868

2018 - 2022, Successful
Embryo Freezing
[Massachusetts General Hospital is] Very organized and friendly reception, mostly on time, staff remember you by face or name, clean and quiet office. Fast phone call answers and quick call backs. The staff are very well versed at fertility care. The ultrasound technician Mimi is an absolute star. She can do dozens of ultrasounds an hour and still remember you and make you feel comfortable. She’s fast and accurate and very punctual.
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr Morris is very skilled, smart, and professional. At my first appointment she told us we would become parents. She always encouraged our input especially with regards to using fertility medications, genetic testing if desired and coordinated with my other care providers seamlessly. I always felt like she wanted us to succeed as much as we did. She always remembered details about our case. And she always included my husband in every decision and made sure he understood everything. She continues to show her professionalism and warmth through the good and bad results and I would recommend her to anyone who needs fertility treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Make the appointment. There are so many options for care, but this process is long and takes a lot of patience and a good support system.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr Morris always remembered my name, details about my case, my husband’s name and asked questions about my first child whom was born through her ivf care. When giving bad news to us I always felt like she felt sad too and overjoyed when we got good results. She made me believe I could become a mother and then helped make it happen. She also tried to keep us grounded by telling us to stay ‘cautiously optimistic’ when things were scary. I am a healthcare worker and she never dismissed my own knowledge and always made sure my husband, who is not in healthcare, understood what we were speaking about too. She is never too busy to reply. Her Nurse Kathy is a gem as well!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
Kathy is a great nurse. She always called when she said she would, she was always available during hours and happily took calls, she always remembered my case and was so excited when I became pregnant. She is kind and professional and also funny. Easy to talk to and gentle with bad news. She always contacted the doctor and got questions answered right away when needed.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Minimal costs for specialty medications, everything else covered by Massachusetts insurance.
Describe Mary Sabatini Morris's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I have a cardiac condition that requires oversight from a cardiology team that prefers reduced stressors be made on my heart. Dr Morris in conjunction with my Cardiologist recommend single transfers as the stress of a multiple pregnancy may cause excess stress on my heart.

2020 - 2022, Successful
[Dr. Mary Sabatini Morris] was always happy to see me, knew my case and details about my life I had shared...She made sure that as I had more failures and became a more complicated case that I had appointments with her every 3 weeks so I could ask questions and keep things moving...I know she really cares about us. I appreciated that Dr Morris was never one to push tests or treatments that aren’t scientifically proven to be significant in improving clinical outcomes. When I had preferences about my treatment, like supplementing progesterone bc I felt mine was low, she was amenable.
Dr Morris [at Massachusetts General Hospital] suggested single embryo transfer until we had two failed transfers...When I had failed transfers, she made time to see me so I could start new cycles right away even when it wasn’t on one of her normal appointment days. When I had OHSS after my first retrieval, she made sure I was seen by her in the office for scans daily and iv fluids...Given I’ve been at the clinic 2 years, the nurses all know me and are very caring and supportive. They are very quick to respond in the gateway portal.
Dr Morris was always happy to see me, knew my case and details about my life I had shared. Sometimes I’d remember exact details (like what my lining measured 2 transfers ago) that she might not remember off the top of her head, but I’d never expect her to keep that level of detail in mind, that’s what records are for. She made sure that as I had more failures and became a more complicated case that I had appointments with her every 3 weeks so I could ask questions and keep things moving. When I had failed transfers, she made time to see me so I could start new cycles right away even when it wasn’t on one of her normal appointment days. When I had OHSS after my first retrieval, she made sure I was seen by her in the office for scans daily and iv fluids. When I had a complication days before my second retrieval that could make retrieval risky, she made sure she was there for the retrieval to support Dr Seuter. She called to make sure I was ok after the complication and to talk through the risks of moving forward with the retrieval. Now that we’re finally pregnant, she made sure to come up during our first scan so she could see the heartbeat. I know she really cares about us. I appreciated that Dr Morris was never one to push tests or treatments that aren’t scientifically proven to be significant in improving clinical outcomes. When I had preferences about my treatment, like supplementing progesterone bc I felt mine was low, she was amenable. Despite the fact that she did not expect our case to take so long to conceive, she was always encouraging that we just needed to keep trying. That there was no reason it shouldn’t work for us. So far she was right, as we are in our first pregnancy now!
Get the direct number of her scheduler Carol and be vigilant in reaching out to schedule appointments. Dr Morris wants to see you, it’s sometimes just the bureaucracy of MGH that slows things down.
Dr Morris was always happy to see me, knew my case and details about my life I had shared. Sometimes I’d remember exact details (like what my lining measured 2 transfers ago) that she might not remember off the top of her head, but I’d never expect her to keep that level of detail in mind, that’s what records are for. She made sure that as I had more failures and became a more complicated case that I had appointments with her every 3 weeks so I could ask questions and keep things moving. When I had a complication days before retrieval, she made sure she was there for the retrieval to support Dr Seuter. She called to make sure I was ok and to talk through the risks of moving forward with the retrieval. Now that we’re finally pregnant, she made sure to come up during our first scan so she could see the heartbeat. I know she really cares about us.
Describe the protocols Mary Sabatini Morris used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
We first used clomid 7 times for 3 IUI cycles. I had difficulty ovulating, and then had a second ovarian torsion. It basically took a year to get me to safely ovulate. 3 IUIs failed. We did a OCP low dose Lupron cycle for first egg retrieval. We retrieved 28 eggs, 23 mature, 8 fertilized with conventional insemination, 5 frozen. We had to do freeze all because I was in severe pain and showing signs of ohss. I did ultimately have ohss for 2 weeks after retrieval. First frozen single embryo transfer we did a medicated cycle. It resulted in a chemical. My lining was thin despite an extra week of estrogen so we moved on to a modified natural protocol using Gonal F. We did this for transfers 2-5. No embryos from our first round of IVF stuck, despite transferring two in our fourth transfer. After two failed transfers we did a test for CE which was negative. After four failed transfers we did karyotype testing, also negative. Our second round of IVF we did an OCP antagonist cycle with Lupron trigger to avoid OHSS. Three days before retrieval I had an ovarian torsion and needed surgery. We missed one night of stims but carried on with retrieval. We got 15 eggs, 11 mature, 10 fertilized with ICSI, and 6 embryos frozen. Our fifth transfer with two new embryos was also a modified natural protocol with Gonal F. We are now 7 weeks pregnant with a singleton.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
You need to advocate for yourself. Be on top of scheduling follow up appointments with your Dr in case your treatment fails. Otherwise you’ll be waiting weeks for an appt and then weeks longer to start again. Insurance approvals take a while and add annoying bureaucracy but the coverage is great. MGH will go above and beyond for you. If you need extra tests or scans just ask. Get direct phone numbers for schedulers and finance office so you can get in touch more easily.
I only paid co pays because my insurance covered once I hit my deductible of $250.
Dr Morris suggested single embryo transfer until we had two failed transfers. Because we had 5 embryos, we decided to do eSET for the first three transfers then move to multiple embryo transfer for the fourth. When that failed we continued with multiple embryo transfer.

2020 - 2022, Unsuccessful
Doctor Attaman is really compassionate and takes her time to explain her approach to treatment...Though I didn’t get the results expected, I trust Dr Attaman’s judgment and the way she managed my expectations. We found some fibroids in the end, I am not sure what could have been done to discover those earlier as I believe these are responsible for the failures of my IUIs.
I have never had a bad experience at the [Massachusetts General Hospital] clinic. Everybody was always cordial and compassionate. The front desk staff never have an attitude as I have experienced in some other clinics and they really try to accommodate my needs. Also, you never have to wait very long to be seen which is always a plus in my book...Everybody was always kind and compassionate. There could sometimes be a slight delay in communication but as far as I am concerned nothing ever fell through the cracks. So overall I am satisfied with the level of care I received
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jill Attaman at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Manage your expectations and handle failure with a positive mindset
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jill Attaman at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the protocols Jill Attaman used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
We started with medicated cycles with CLOMID and Ovidrel for IUIs based on my age. Dr Attaman decided that time was of the essence since I had turned 40. I was referred to a MFM specialist to assess risks based on age and medical conditions. Unfortunately all IUIS were unsuccessful and Dr Attaman was thinking on switching to IVF when some fibroids were discovered inside of the uterus cavity likely to require removal before proceeding with treatments. Scheduled to see a reproductive surgeon in May 2022.
Everybody was always kind and compassionate. There could sometimes be a slight delay in communication but as far as I am concerned nothing ever fell through the cracks. So overall I am satisfied with the level of care I received.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
I have never had a bad experience at the clinic. Everybody was always cordial and compassionate. The front desk staff never have an attitude as I have experienced in some other clinics and they really try to accommodate my needs. Also, you never have to wait very long to be seen which is always a plus in my book 😀
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jill Attaman at Massachusetts General Hospital.
My health insurance pays for clinic visits and test. All other procedures or treatments were out of pocket. For example, the cost for one IUI Procedure would be about $1000 for the donor sperm and $1000 for clinical fee.
Describe Jill Attaman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.

2016 - 2020, Unknown Success
My appointments with Dr. Morris (previously Sabatini) have always left me feeling hopeful, well taken care of, informed, and prepared. She has remembered details about my life and my first son despite the fact that our experience with her has spanned years. She is kind and warm, always gentle in her delivery...first pregnancy came after two rounds of Clomid/IUI. At the time, my ovarian reserve was lower than it should have been for my age and my husband's semen analysis was not strong either. She recommended IVF over IUI but supported our outlook on hoping we did not need it.
[Massachusetts General Hospital] is located in a clean & very well-maintained medical office building with abundant parking...staff is very friendly and organized from the receptionists to the lab technicians. Appointment times are abundant but sometimes run a bit delayed for early morning labwork and ultrasounds...[Nurse] can be a bit abrasive...shared over the phone that we would absolutely need IVF when I called to confirm test results. I felt it was not her place to give that news when we had not yet had a consultation to review results with Dr. Morris.
Dr. Morris has been and continues to be kind, informative, and direct in my care. She shares data, presents options, and offers her guidance and suggestions in a clear way. I have always felt heard and understood when sharing how we feel about certain treatments and her response is full of respect and support.
Advocate for yourself emotionally so that she can make an informed suggestion, equally important as a medical one!
My first pregnancy came after two rounds of Clomid/IUI. At the time, my ovarian reserve was lower than it should have been for my age and my husband's semen analysis was not strong either. She recommended IVF over IUI but supported our outlook on hoping we did not need it. During our attempt for a second child, she prescribed my husband 3x weekly Clomid and we attempted 6 rounds of Clomid/IUI (one was canceled due to high risk of multiples) in 2019, then three rounds of FSH/IUI at the start of 2020. Due to the Coronavirus, our final 3 FSH/IUI rounds were postponed and we plan to pursue IVF when our office reopens. Currently, my AMH has decreased significantly while my husbands stats continue to improve slightly with each treatment cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cathy )
Cathy is informative and through but can be a bit abrasive. My most prominent memory of her is from the very beginning of our experience with Dr. Morris' office in 2016 when she shared over the phone that we would absolutely need IVF when I called to confirm test results. I felt it was not her place to give that news when we had not yet had a consultation to review results with Dr. Morris.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic is located in a clean & very well-maintained medical office building with abundant parking. The staff is very friendly and organized from the receptionists to the lab technicians. Appointment times are abundant but sometimes run a bit delayed for early morning labwork and ultrasounds.
Up to this point, our IUI cycles and labwork have mostly been covered by our insurance provider. We plan to pay out of pocket for our IVF cycle and medication.
We do not have any experience to share but know that she elects to do eSet. We feel confident and very comfortable with a single embryo transfer.

2020, Unsuccessful
Barely spoke w/Dr Sabatini outside of initial consult and the call 1 month after I miscarried...I had a large fibroid in my uterine muscle that was protruding into my uterus. It was creating partial blockage of my left tube and taking up precious space in my uterus where implantation would likely occur. Every time I asked about it, Dr Sabatini said it was a non-issue. When I did get pregnant, the fibroid was blocking the ability to look at the gestational sac, the heartbeat, etc. The embryos were trapped between it & my uterine wall...
Not one Dr throughout my treatment [at Massachusetts General Hospital] seemed to even look at the chart before seeing me...[nurse was] Well organized, communications and specificity were terrific. She closed the gap between me and the doctors, I always felt well cared for...I called to say I was spotting, on-call didn't get back to me...When I left the clinic, getting my records was a DISASTER. They refused to fax, took weeks to process the request and sent incomplete records, requiring me to go through another round of requests...
Great experience and very scientific, but as far as expertise with IVF, I don't know enough to comment. She was absent during my care except for the first and last appointment. My treatment was during COVID but there was no excuse for the lack of communication or follow-up. I was not impressed with this practice. I had a large fibroid in my uterine muscle that was protruding into my uterus. It was creating partial blockage of my left tube and taking up precious space in my uterus where implantation would likely occur. Every time I asked about it, Dr Sabatini said it was a non-issue. When I did get pregnant, the fibroid was blocking the ability to look at the gestational sac, the heartbeat, etc. The embryos were trapped between it & my uterine wall. It made appointments when I was pregnant a total nightmare. I saw 3 doctors after Dr Sabatini, all of whom could not believe the large fibroid inside my uterus was deemed "irrelevant" to my ability to get pregnant and none would have moved forward with a transfer until that was removed. I wasted my precious time & embryos at this facility. When I asked Dr Sabatini in my final visit what type of fibroid I had, she couldn't even tell me. It was bad. Would not recommend.
Find out how she will be involved and be prepared for coordinated care in the practice which might mean seeing doctors or students who are not familiar with your case so you have to repeat your history over & over again.
Barely spoke w/Dr Sabatini outside of initial consult and the call 1 month after I miscarried. Apparently she was on sabbatical during my treatment - that was never communicated. Not one Dr throughout my treatment seemed to even look at the chart before seeing me.
Antagonist protocol. Menopur/Gonal and the HcG trigger
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Strengths: part of MGH Opportunities: better coordinated care across the doctors, improved follow-up from staff (I was spotting and on call didn't call me back...nightmare), be more innovative in solutions, look at Boston IVF and take some best practices from them
I cannot recall. I think $10-$15k for a retrieval & transfer
Multiple embryo transfer for untested eggs if other factors like age were a consideration, was considered, though singleton was preferred & recommended
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
- Doc forgot to order the clomid challenge as part of my original workup, causing a delay in getting started,then Covid hit - I called to say I was spotting, on-call didn't get back to me - Never saw my doctor after initial visit nor did I have any sort of communication with her or ability to reach her or another doc when I had questions - Teaching hospital, the students are a mix of good & not so good. One student doing my ultrasound needed to wait for the doc in a procedure to look at my ultrasound to show her where the gestational sac was in my uterus and explain the presence of the corpus luteum b/c I was pregnant. Created a ton of stress for me waiting - really just unbelievable they didn't know that - When I left the clinic, getting my records was a DISASTER. They refused to fax, took weeks to process the request and sent incomplete records, requiring me to go through another round of requests - their delays resulted in a nearly 2-month delay in getting started with my new clinic b/c they needed blood, tests, etc and couldn't re-run those b/c insurance wouldn't approve - It took my doctor almost 1 month to connect with me after I miscarried. 1 month later, she finally made time for me. Total disgrace. - I was diagnosed w/a large fibroid inside the uterine cavity and they moved forward with transfer and assured me it was fine. I saw 2 RE specialists and my OB/GYN afterwards and they were appalled that any doctor would do a transfer based on size & location of the fibroid in the cavity. It was also partially blocking my tube, which came up in an early test and they still moved forward. Wasted my time & embryos. There was barely a note about it in my records, doctor couldn't even tell me the type of fibroid I had (my OB who examined me after the miscarriage knew in <2 seconds what type it was and explained why it needed to be removed to achieve pregnancy)
Boston
Dr. Souter always had our information in front of her and could recall our treatment plan. It’s clear she sees a lot of patients, but she took the time to look at our file before any appointments...don’t be afraid to slow her down and ask questions. She will gladly explain things if you ask...Dr. Souter herself was fine at caring for me as a member of the LGBTQ community. She treated me just like she would treat anyone else
The nurses vary. Most of them are excellent, very compassionate, take the time to answer your questions, etc. The thing is that it’s sort of like an assembly line here...It was easy to transfer my donor sperm to the clinic from the Cryobank...MGH needs to improve its treatment for LGBTQ patients by making the process more inclusive and training staff on how to work with LGBTQ patients. The phlebotomy team and front desk staff need a better process for alerting them of which patients are waiting for blood draws
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Souter is very straightforward and clearly extremely knowledgeable about her field of work. You get the sense that she could do this job in her sleep from the way she can easily rattle off information and decide on the best treatment plans. She’s not going to coddle you or hold your hand, but she’s amazing at her job and knows how to do it well. Whenever we had setbacks she remained very optimistic and that was really helpful. She didn’t perform any of our actual procedures, as that gets done by whichever doctor is on call.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Souter talks fast because she knows what she’s doing, but sometimes she might not realize that YOU don’t know what you’re doing. So don’t be afraid to slow her down and ask questions. She will gladly explain things if you ask.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the protocols Irene Souter used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
We did an egg retrieval (6 embryos) followed by a fresh transfer. This resulted in an ectopic pregnancy. After that, we did a modified natural cycle ending in a frozen transfer, which resulted in successful pregnancy.
How competent was Irene Souter at LGBTQ care?
Dr. Souter herself was fine at caring for me as a member of the LGBTQ community. She treated me just like she would treat anyone else, and I didn’t feel like the fact that I’m gay affected my treatment with her. However, MGH as a whole needs improvement with LGBTQ care. Many of their forms still contain heteronormative/gendered language, many staff members assumed I had a husband, and my information was even mixed up with my wife’s on occasion.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Kaitlin )
The nurses vary. Most of them are excellent, very compassionate, take the time to answer your questions, etc. The thing is that it’s sort of like an assembly line here. They do this day in and day out and I think it can be easy to lose your individuality in the shuffle. They are very responsive to questions via patient gateway. Also, only a few of the nurses are good at drawing blood.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
MGH needs to improve its treatment for LGBTQ patients by making the process more inclusive and training staff on how to work with LGBTQ patients. The phlebotomy team and front desk staff need a better process for alerting them of which patients are waiting for blood draws. Staff who perform ultrasounds should take the time to verbalize to the patient what they’re seeing. All that being said, it’s MGH - meaning it’s top quality in terms of actual procedures and results.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital.
My insurance covered IVF because I had first done 6 unsuccessful IUI’s. I did have to pay some for the medication and testing. It’s very expensive.
How competent was Massachusetts General Hospital at LGBTQ care?
Everyone was nice and didn’t make a big deal about me being gay, but I wouldn’t say they were entirely knowledgeable about the needs of LGBTQ people. It can be a very heteronormative process.
Describe your experience using 3rd party reproduction (donor eggs, donor sperm, or gestational carrier) at Massachusetts General Hospital.
It was easy to transfer my donor sperm to the clinic from the Cryobank. But the storage fees to keep it at MGH are very expensive. And the process to transfer it back to the Cryobank is a bit more annoying.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
MGH once confused me with my wife because we are both women with similar names. In doing this, they ordered blood tests for her that were actually meant for me. It led to unnecessary bloodwork for her and a huge snafu with the billing department trying to get the charges for those tests waived. The interactions with the billing department were terrible and frustrating.

2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Attaman was fine, but we had very limited experience with her and never met her in person...There were several times I had to ask if something was right, because it seemed different to what Dr. Attaman initially told us (and then they changed course after I questioned them)...We ended up going through with 3 cycles, one was cancelled because I had too many follicles.
People at the [Mass Gen Hospital] clinic are nice; the ultrasound techs were friendly and quick; and I never had to wait more than 10-15 minutes. I had huge issues with the billing department; I needed them to resubmit a claim to my insurance which took 6 months and innumerable phone calls. I was also sent a bill for something I pre-paid in advance...IUIs were about $1000 each
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Attaman was fine, but we had very limited experience with her and never met her in person. We had two Zoom appointments with Dr. Attaman; otherwise we only spoke with nurses. So, it's hard to really rate our care with DR. Attaman.
Advocate for yourself. Remember everything Dr. Attaman tells you, because it might not be conveyed to your nurse. There were several times I had to ask if something was right, because it seemed different to what Dr. Attaman initially told us (and then they changed course after I questioned them)
We never actually met with Dr. Attaman or the nurses in person due to COVID19. We dealt with a bunch of different nurses who were super disorganized. There were a bunch of mistakes - I was given the wrong prescription, not told I needed a prescription until hours before I needed to do an injection (and then needing to drive a speciality pharmacy 45 minutes away on Christmas Eve), etc.
We did 4 rounds of IUI (all paid out of pocket) because our insurance didn't cover any fertility treatment and IVF was out of our price range. We ended up going through with 3 cycles, one was cancelled because I had too many follicles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cathy / Joanne)
I got very few details from the nurses - no one ever told me how many follicles I had, how big they were, etc - just "come back on X day." They also forgot to tell me about medications I needed, sent in the wrong prescription (for double the dosage I needed), and were in general disorganized.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
People at the clinic are nice; the ultrasound techs were friendly and quick; and I never had to wait more than 10-15 minutes. I had huge issues with the billing department; I needed them to resubmit a claim to my insurance which took 6 months and innumerable phone calls. I was also sent a bill for something I pre-paid in advance.
IUIs were about $1000 each
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Prescription not called in twice; I had to remind clinic I needed a prescription; sent wrong prescription once and had to call doctor on call after hours.
Danvers

I first met Dr. Petrozza when I schedule an appointment with him to perform endometriosis surgery...He did an excellent job with my surgery and I owe my reproductive health to him. I’m currently in the process of doing my first IVF cycle with him...Even though I don’t see him at every appointment (for example, ultrasounds, etc.) I know I’m in great hands and at the end of the day Dr. Petrozza is the one reviewing my charts during my visits with him.
The clinic [at Massachusetts General Hospital] is really busy but well organized. Since starting my stims, I’ve been in and out in less than 30 minutes for both bloodwork and ultrasound...The nurses in the clinic have always been prompt. When I send an email I usually get a response within an hour. The financial department helped me with my insurance and always kept me in the loop.
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
When I was first diagnosed with stage IV endometriosis the GYN said she would have to remove my ovaries and since the endometriomas were so large, laparoscopy wasn’t an option for me. I ran away from her and the scheduled surgery. After a lot of research I decided Dr. Petrozza was the best doctor for me. He did an excellent job with my surgery and I owe my reproductive health to him. I’m currently in the process of doing my first IVF cycle with him. The most important thing is that I trust Dr. Petrozza with my health. Before the cycle started he ordered a number of tests and bloodwork so he can come up with the best treatment plan. What I love the most about him is that he explains everything in detail, tells me all the possible options with their advantages and disadvantages and then tells me his recommendation. With covid all my appointments with him have been virtual. He is always on time and when we meet, he has reviewed my labs and test results. I’m not sure if my IVF will work or not due to my advanced age and endometriosis. What I do know is that I’m in the best care possible and if I do end up pregnant, it will be because of Dr. Petrozza and his outstanding level of care. Even though I don’t see him at every appointment (for example, ultrasounds, etc.) I know I’m in great hands and at the end of the day Dr. Petrozza is the one reviewing my charts during my visits with him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
For me personally, I prefer facts and a doctor who is brutally honest and doesn’t give false hope. In all my interactions he has had great bedside manner. What I do recommend if making appointments in advance since he is extremely busy. For example, the day I finished my last test he had ordered, I called to make my follow up appointment knowing the results would be in by the time I see him. So be proactive when it comes to making appointments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I first met Dr. Petrozza when I schedule an appointment with him to perform endometriosis surgery. He took the time to explain all the different techniques he uses and which one he felt was the best option for me and why. Since the surgery, he’s always taken the time to explain things and provide me with the best treatment possible. He is smart, caring and compassionate. I never felt like another number. He always remembers me and my medical history.
Describe the protocols John Petrozza used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
I’m currently doing the estrogen priming patch protocol. In the middle of stims at the moment. He recommended this protocol due to my age and history of endometriosis.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Carol )
I cannot being to say how wonderful all the nurses and coordinators are. Carol always follows up immediately after my appointments. She is extremely helpful and organized. The nurses in the clinic have always been prompt. When I send an email I usually get a response within an hour. The financial department helped me with my insurance and always kept me in the loop. I had a lot of issues with my insurance and all the staff were extremely supportive during the process.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic is really busy but well organized. Since starting my stims, I’ve been in and out in less than 30 minutes for both bloodwork and ultrasound. I think the most I waited was 10 minutes. Most of the phlebotomists are great (this for me is a big plus since I don’t like needles). My best advice is to be on top of scheduling follow up appointments with your doctor and don’t wait for them to call you with an appointment. Like I said, they do get really busy. The test, u/s and bloodwork appointment are easy to get so you need not worry about that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I have insurance coverage
John Petrozza
Boston
Dr. Attaman was excellent, very competent and compassionate. I liked that she was clear about setting expectations of success and issues...She seems to have a good plan for each scenario and was realistic about risks and benefits. She took the time to discuss things with us and was in touch as much as needed. I think she has a good combo of being experienced enough and also up to date with treatments.
The one major issue with MGH is you can't pick the doctor you see for clinic visits. Whoever is scheduled is who you must see, or you must cancel your cycle. People who can't or won't see male doctors for mental health or religious reasons, or just personal preferences, will be stuck seeing a male doctor at some point for an ultrasound...[nursing staff] Generally great, although they took a long time coordinating the paperwork on a procedure which lead to some missed cycles where we couldn't do treatment.
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Massachusetts General Hospital?
We did IUIs with clomid due to unexplained infertility. We're still optimistic it will work as we haven't been trying for long.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The one major issue with MGH is you can't pick the doctor you see for clinic visits. Whoever is scheduled is who you must see, or you must cancel your cycle. People who can't or won't see male doctors for mental health or religious reasons, or just personal preferences, will be stuck seeing a male doctor at some point for an ultrasound. There's no consideration given to patients who can't do that and patients are told brusquely that "this is what they signed up for, and they're welcome to leave and cancel their cycle" even if they've already paid for it and taken meds for it. I was not warned ahead of time that this was a possibility.
MA insurance covers infertility treatments so insurance covered it.
No idea

2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Sabatini is compassionate while also being direct and sharing the facts. She works out a plan for you to follow on your journey with positivity the entire way. She used to talk to us as if having a baby was a certainty, not a possibility. She made us optimistic. We trusted her guidance and she led us to the best outcome possible- a beautiful daughter and frozen embryos for the future. We owe our daughter- our family- to her...Ask her questions, she will be happy to answer...my ivf cycles were quite straight forward- my follicles grew well and many were retrieved. Nonetheless, she made me aware of all possibilities and what would happen in different scenarios.
During our second retrieval [at Massachusetts General Hospital], our nurse, Cathy, failed to call us to tell us how many embryos were successfully fertilized and whether or not we were to start progesterone...We ended up having to call the doctor on call after hours, who had to find our file and then share with us the good news that we had embryos fertilized and to start progesterone...The techs are wonderful! Always upbeat during scans and the nurses who drew my blood were always sweet and caring. The office itself runs smoothly, appointments were always on time, and I looked forward to seeing all of Sabatini’s staff (besides Cathy, who I usually only spoke to on the phone).
Trust her. Know that she has your best interests in mind. Ask her questions, she will be happy to answer. Contact her office with any concerns you have. Believe in her optimism.
Dr. Sabatini learned about us as a couple and cared about what we were going through. While she was compassionate, she was also direct and helped us to see where we stood and where we needed to go.
Dr. Sabatini’s office is very experienced and knows what they’re doing. Each scan will lead them to direct your medications accordingly, know that they are making changes as needed. We were very lucky and my ivf cycles were quite straight forward- my follicles grew well and many were retrieved. Nonetheless, she made me aware of all possibilities and what would happen in different scenarios.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cathy (can’t remember last name))
If you end up working with Cathy, Dr. Sabatini’s nurse, know to have a tough skin. Cathy wasn’t always pleasant and often seemed annoyed by questions. She isn’t especially personable and seems to lack empathy. She also didn’t always call when she was supposed to. She sometimes came across as straight up rude. We put up with her because of how much we liked Dr. Sabatini, but if we’d had a choice, we would not have chosen to work with her.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
We had insurance for our first cycles, but our frozen cycle was uninsured. It was quite expensive, at least $4,000-$6,000.
Dr. Sabatini was an advocate for transferring a single embryo in our cycles, as our embryos were of high quality. We understand her reasoning behind this, as multiples can be more risky.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
During our second retrieval, our nurse, Cathy, failed to call us to tell us how many embryos were successfully fertilized and whether or not we were to start progesterone. We tried calling the clinic in the afternoon to inquire, and the receptionist said that they had until the end of the day to call us and that Cathy would. We waited, and she never did. The next time we called to get our embryo fertilization results, the office was closed. We were very upset, as we had no update and didn’t know if we should start progesterone. We ended up having to call the doctor on call after hours, who had to find our file and then share with us the good news that we had embryos fertilized and to start progesterone.
Danvers

While Dr. Souter is an extremely busy professional, we always felt like she made quality time for us during our visits. She reviewed any new results, was clear about our expectations, and patiently addressed any questions or concerns we had. We felt very well taken care of under her treatment... Because everything appeared relatively normal, Dr. Souter suggested 3 courses of IUI with Gonal-F before moving on to IVF. The first IUI resulted in me getting my period before the two week wait was up. The second course was a little odd - my body didn’t respond as quickly to the Gonal-F and appeared to wind up ovulating on its own, so we did an IUI without a trigger shot. I didn’t get my period for 26 days after the IUI, but tested negative for pregnancy. The third cycle went smoothly and I received a positive pregnancy beta test 16 days after the transfer. I’m now 13 weeks along with a healthy baby!
We called [Massachusetts General Hospital] in January 2019 and were going through our first IUI cycle by early May. (First consult was February, followed by all sorts of testing for both of us, followed by an additional consult to review the treatment plan). The only issue is how busy the clinic is - when coming in for blood and ultrasounds, I’d always recommend getting the earliest possible appointments, as the waiting room can fill up! But I was never there for more than an hour.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
As discussed earlier, Dr. Souter’s manner while meeting with her was consistently supportive, educational, and clear. We felt we always understood what our next steps would be, what risks were involved, and what chances we had of success. The only minor issue was how long we needed to wait between appointments to see her, but that’s just a product of how busy she is providing all of her patients with the same quality treatment.
Be proactive in scheduling any future consults. When our second IUI wasn’t successful, we preemptively scheduled our IVF consult to coincide with the third cycle of IUI, just to keep the ball in motion if the third cycle wasn’t successful.
All of our tests came back pretty normal, with the exception of some mild male factor issues (which improved with diet changes). Because everything appeared relatively normal, Dr. Souter suggested 3 courses of IUI with Gonal-F before moving on to IVF. The first IUI resulted in me getting my period before the two week wait was up. The second course was a little odd - my body didn’t respond as quickly to the Gonal-F and appeared to wind up ovulating on its own, so we did an IUI without a trigger shot. I didn’t get my period for 26 days after the IUI, but tested negative for pregnancy. The third cycle went smoothly and I received a positive pregnancy beta test 16 days after the transfer. I’m now 13 weeks along with a healthy baby!
The nursing staff were consistently pleasant and understanding. I felt extremely comfortable with them.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic is organized and for as busy as it is, you can get moving with treatment pretty quickly. We called in January 2019 and were going through our first IUI cycle by early May. (First consult was February, followed by all sorts of testing for both of us, followed by an additional consult to review the treatment plan). The only issue is how busy the clinic is - when coming in for blood and ultrasounds, I’d always recommend getting the earliest possible appointments, as the waiting room can fill up! But I was never there for more than an hour.
Our insurance is excellent - we only paid copays of $30/visit, including transfers and testing. The medicines were most expensive, at about $300/cycle.
Describe Irene Souter's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
We didn’t get to this point, but because I’m still under 35, with IVF we would have done just a single embryo transfer per IVF cycle.

2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Dr. Sabitini is incredibly kind, and respectful. However I never feel like I had enough time in her office, and she was late for several of our planned phone calls.... Dr. Sabitini is brilliant. She specializes in infertility with cancer which is why she was the perfect fit for me. That said, I often feel rushed during our visits and always walk away with more questions.... She can have a tough bedside manner, but go in to your appointment ready to learn and with questions knowing that she is going to do everything she can to help you have a baby.
MGH is an incredible hospital with amazing staff. That said, they are all extremely busy and it would be nice to have more time per appointment because even though they have done this a million times, it’s my first experience and I’m terrified.... I have not received calls with all my test results although they do get posted online.... I am about to start IVF with ICSI and PGS. Dr. Sabitini recommended this treatment as I have a chronic cancer and have a very short window to conceive
I am about to start IVF with ICSI and PGS. Dr. Sabitini recommended this treatment as I have a chronic cancer and have a very short window to conceive and carry a baby before my cancer relapses. This treatment will give me the best shot.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
We are still determining this.
Boston

I felt that he [Dr. Petrozza] was not eager to customize the treatment plan for me and just throw me into a preset treatment plan. When I asked for the rationale of how and why the protocol was set for me, I was not given an answer. When the treatment did not work, the reason is always my egg quality...It is just the regular antagonist protocol vs. micro-flare protocol. I wish more information would be provided for me for these treatments
They [Massachusetts General Hospital] know a lot. But as I put earlier, the small room and the inpatient reception desk person, and the messing up of my insurance issues, and the last-minute style of transfer (basically they do not let you know anything about how your fresh eggs are like until several seconds before the actual transfer) made me feel that I am just a number to them...300-400 total because of the insurance for each cycle.
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He is knowledgeable about a lot of things but I felt his best set is about surgery and fibroid removal instead of treating women with infertility issues. I felt like a number throughout the treatment and constantly blamed for my egg issues.
If you are young and healthy and can be successfully treated at any place, you can work with him. Otherwise, if you want some more personal approach, do not go.
I felt that he was not eager to customize the treatment plan for me and just throw me into a preset treatment plan. When I asked for the rationale of how and why the protocol was set for me, I was not given an answer. When the treatment did not work, the reason is always my egg quality.
It is just the regular antagonist protocol vs. micro-flare protocol. I wish more information would be provided for me for these treatments. It turned out that perhaps three-day transfer would work better for me but they insisted on 5 day fresh transfer and resulted in negative test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Carol)
They messed up my insurance in the beginning and delayed my treatment by several months. Once I got in, it is getting better though I found the woman at the front desk for our morning appointments to be extremely rude. She would usually impatiently ask us to put our names down and then call out our names in front of many other patients waiting in the same room to get in and out for blood tests. I felt very bad going there every time.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
They know a lot. But as I put earlier, the small room and the inpatient reception desk person, and the messing up of my insurance issues, and the last-minute style of transfer (basically they do not let you know anything about how your fresh eggs are like until several seconds before the actual transfer) made me feel that I am just a number to them.
300-400 total because of the insurance for each cycle.
Describe John Petrozza's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Insurance messing up: They sent my documents in for the wrong case which resulted in a denial. They should have just sent the appeal in for my new case but they did not and instead asked me to wait. I waited for more than one month till they found out that they should contact the insurance company. Then I was told that they would be closed during Christmas and that I must wait for another month before starting my cycles. I lived in fear of the big financial burden for more than three months before it was finally approved. But I was not satisfied with their waiting room staff demeanor and the constant blame on my egg issues when the treatment did not work. In addition, I found that not giving me the information about the embryo situation until seconds before the transfer (fresh) to be very uncomfortable. I wish there is a buffer stage when we can be told about the embryo development stage instead of feeling so bad waiting there to hear the news.
John Petrozza
Boston

He [Dr. Rein] immediately made me feel comfortable and was very compassionate. He was honest with me about everything but didn’t make me feel bad about anything. He’s always very good at explaining everything and takes the time to answer any and all questions i May have...The wait to see him for a consultation is worth it! You will love him!...was watched very carefully to avoid OHSS. I had 6 ultrasounds in 8 days. I triggered with HcG and retrieved 20 eggs.
staff [at Massachusetts General Hospital] were always on top of everything. The team of doctors and nurses were always available for questions and always kept you updated right away on plans and treatments...nurse Johanne was able to move my husbands urology and endocrinology appointments up for us because she know how important time was for infertility treatments
How was your experience with Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He immediately made me feel comfortable and was very compassionate. He was honest with me about everything but didn’t make me feel bad about anything. He’s always very good at explaining everything and takes the time to answer any and all questions i May have.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
The wait to see him for a consultation is worth it! You will love him!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I felt like Dr. Rein and his staff were always on top of everything. The team of doctors and nurses were always available for questions and always kept you updated right away on plans and treatments. His nurse Johanne was able to move my husbands urology and endocrinology appointments up for us because she know how important time was for infertility treatments
Describe the protocols Mitchell Rein used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
We did one IVF with icsi cycle so far. It included: birth control for 3 weeks, lupron 10u to prevent ovulation and then dropped to 5u after a week. Started menopur 75u and gonalf 150u for stimulation. I stimmed for 8 days total and was watched very carefully to avoid OHSS. I had 6 ultrasounds in 8 days. I triggered with HcG and retrieved 20 eggs. 19 of which were mature. 15 were fertilized and we ended up with 4 embryos
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Johanne Day )
Johanne was always on top of everything! She communicated with me and made sure i understood everything. She was always available to answer any questions i had (even if some where probably ridiculous)
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Super friendly and personable staff. Everyone makes you feel super comfortable even when you’re being poked and prodded. Early ultrasound and blood work hours (6:45am is the earliest). Very lean facility. Quick results uploaded to the patient online portal. Always on time with appointments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Not much besides copays
Describe Mitchell Rein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Dr. Rein only transfers 1 embryo unless you’re over the age of 35.
Mitchell Rein
Danvers
We found Dr. Sabatini very caring and knowledgable. At our first several visits, she explained in detail our issues and advised of next steps (IVF) and the process. As we progressed further into the cycle, we were seen by various drs on the staff and that is where we ran into issues. We often left these appts feeling confused/uninformed and that no-one was "managing" our care.
Many of the procedures/appointments were with other members of the MGH staff and we were not pleased with the level of patient care with the other staff. We often left appointments where we felt uninformed about the next step and procedures we not explained.... We worked with various nurses throughout the process. During the monitoring phase, speaking to multiple nurses was not an issue. However, when we started experiencing issues after miscarriage it was challenging because we had to recap our situation each time we spoke to someone.
Schedule all appointments directly with Dr. Sabatini if at all possible
Dr. Sabatini seemed very kind and appeared genuinely invested in our outcome, however, we had limited visits with her. Many of the procedures/appointments were with other members of the MGH staff and we were not pleased with the level of patient care with the other staff. We often left appointments where we felt uninformed about the next step and procedures we not explained. Again, we truly felt Dr. Sabatini was caring but as an MGH fertility patient, you are not always seen by your primary doctor.
Our treatment was IVF with ICSI and PGS testing. We went straight to this treatment due to advanced age and male factor infertility (morphology). Treatment resulted in pregnancy but subsequent miscarriage. Reason for miscarriage unknown.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
We were very pleased with our Dr but were not impressed with how the overall clinic was run. We had several issues with scheduling appointments, long wait times between appointments, oftentimes could not communicate directly with our doctor, and clinic staff was not as responsive as we would have liked.
Boston
I felt more than a human. I felt like a member of his family. [Dr. Rein] and his nurse were very attentive and responded to my patient portal messages very quickly... Dr Rein was even nice enough to contact me over the weekend on his person cell phone to check up on me. He comes highly recommended and I would be gladly to refer him to anyone!... He is very attentive and always answers any questions I have and is very patient. He is very compassionate and even goes above and beyond to check on your well being after a failed cycle or miscarriage.
Johanne is Dr. reins nurse [at Massachusetts General Hospital]. She’s amazing. Very attentive, prompt and organized...I would go in at 6:45 am every few days and I would be out at least by 7:05 which worked great with my work schedule!...My RE will not transfer multiple embryos until I have had two miscarriages per MGH protocol...Him and his nurse were very attentive and responded to my patient portal messages very quickly.
How was your experience with Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Dr Rein. I have nothing but good experiences at the clinic. He is very attentive and always answers any questions I have and is very patient. He is very compassionate and even goes above and beyond to check on your well being after a failed cycle or miscarriage.
He is the best doctor to see for your fertility issues. He is everything you would need and want in a fertility doctor.
I felt more than a human. I felt like a member of his family. Him and his nurse were very attentive and responded to my patient portal messages very quickly. They are very prompt. Dr Rein was even nice enough to contact me over the weekend on his person cell phone to check up on me. He comes highly recommended and I would be gladly to refer him to anyone!
First cycle he went with the traditional cycle for my egg retrieval and transfer. I ended up having a failed cycle. My second cycle was the same but resulted in a miscarriage. The only thing that could have been done a little different on my second cycle was to make sure my lining was optimal. But, he made the call and it worked. But ended in early miscarriage. For cycle number three which I’ll be starting in Novemeber of 2018 is to make sure my uterine lining is at its best.
Johanne is Dr. reins nurse. She’s amazing. Very attentive, prompt and organized
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Well, if Johanne isn’t in the office I feel like the office doesn’t run as smoothly. And maybe they don’t communicate as well as they should. They may want to work a little bit better at that. Rather than that, everyone and everything is great!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Very quick! I would go in at 6:45 am every few days and I would be out at least by 7:05 which worked great with my work schedule!
I only had a deductible with my insurance
Mitchell Rein
Danvers
She [Dr. Jan Shifren] stressed that she works hard to not have patients become pregnant with multiples as it’s a high risk pregnancy...Listened to our history, walked through each step with us...She was very thorough at intake and checked in after every treatment. She made us feel very comfortable and met with us after each treatment to make sure that we knew what the next steps would be. She explained any and all risks when going through IUI and what the next steps would be if we did not conceive after the third IUI.
The clinic [Massachusetts General Hospital] had a lot of strengths: they were very flexible schedule, on time for all my appointments, really great communication and made themselves available for all my questions, and they made the process as a good as it could be. One thing to note is that the first appointment is very long. Expect to be there for at least 2 hours...The nursing staff was fantastic. Reassuring, positive and warm, they all made the process as good as it could be.
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
She can be a little tough in the beginning, but so very thorough and we felt like she listened to all of our concerns.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Listened to our history, walked through each step with us
Describe the protocols Jan Shifren used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
Based on my age and how long we had been trying, she recommended that my husband get tested since I had a normal period. His tests came back normal so we decided to go through IUI as it was less Invasive and a good starting point. If after three cycles we did not conceive, we would have moved to IVF. She stressed that she works hard to not have patients become pregnant with multiples as it’s a high risk pregnancy, but we became pregnant with twins. Come to find out we have twins on both sides of the family so that could have been the luck of the draw.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Judy)
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic had a lot of strengths: they were very flexible schedule, on time for all my appointments, really great communication and made themselves available for all my questions, and they made the process as a good as it could be. One thing to note is that the first appointment is very long. Expect to be there for at least 2 hours.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I had great insurance so it was all covered.
Jan Shifren
2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Souter is very direct which I like. She takes the medical care of her patients seriously and is hesitant to start with the most invasive course of action immediately. She also is receptive/concerned with the financial costs....She is very direct which may come off as harsh but when it matters she is supportive and kind including giving me a hug and holding my hand when learning of a miscarriage....While she may seem tough, she is there for you when it really matters.
[MGH - Boston] Strengths: they are very organized which helps with as much planning is possible during this process. US & bW happen in the morning followed by IUIs and then iVf and appts are a bit later. They are open 7 days /wk even during bad weather Weakness: there are many patients coming and going, it is a busy practice...All but one nurse showed compassion during the process. They are generally very responsive (you need to call and leave a message) and call back within a few hours. They were knowledgeable and very helpful. I worked with the nurses more than the dr during the process.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
While she may seem tough, she is there for you when it really matters.
I first visited Dr. Souter in 2015, when I returned in 2016 (nearly 2 year’s later) she remembered me. She is very direct which may come off as harsh but when it matters she is supportive and kind including giving me a hug and holding my hand when learning of a miscarriage.
1 unmediated IUi 2 medicated IUI 1 IVF cycle (flare) Low ovarian reserve
Co-pays
They have a chart that outlines how many embryos will be transferred during each cycle.
Boston
Many times I needed her [Dr. Irene Souter] to slow down and repeat herself...However, there is no doubt that she is incredibly knowledgeable and good at what she does...[new patient advice]If you're someone who needs a positive/compassionate doctor with pleasant bedside manner, she's probably not the best fit for you...The second cycle we followed a Flare cycle, which worked much better for me. I had around 13 follicles retrieved
For me, the [Massachusetts General Hospital] location in downtown Boston was great, though parking was expensive. It was clean and a comfortable space to go to, but the receptionists were never very friendly and I spent a lot of time waiting for people to call me back to answer simple questions...[cost] Fortunately my insurance covered most of it.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Many appointments I left confused and scared of next steps. Many times I needed her to slow down and repeat herself. I always felt a bit rushed and that I couldn't get a word in. BUT, at some point I just had to let go and trust her since she clearly knew what she was doing.
Just know yourself. If you're someone who needs a positive/compassionate doctor with pleasant bedside manner, she's probably not the best fit for you. At the time, 3 years ago, when infertility was so new to me, having that type of doctor was incredibly difficult for me. But now that I've lived this stuff and understand it better, I don't think her demeanor would bother me as much.
I was treated by Dr. Souter 3 years ago so looking back I can't recall exactly how I felt. I know that I was often disappointed by her bedside manner and throughout the year-long process of getting pregnant under her care I craved a more compassionate and friendly doctor. However, there is no doubt that she is incredibly knowledgeable and good at what she does. After many, many tears, she helped my husband and I conceive a healthy baby girl and for that I am forever grateful.
I don't recall what protocol we followed my first cycle, but it was pretty much a bust. I had very few follicles, maybe 4-5 retrieved, I think 2 fertilized, we transferred 1 day 3 that did not take and the other one did not go on to be freezable. The second cycle we followed a Flare cycle, which worked much better for me. I had around 13 follicles retrieved, I think 6-7 fertilized, we transferred 1 "perfect" one that went on to become our beautiful daughter and ended up freezing one.
It was hit or miss with the nurses. Some were nice and some were not.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
For me, the location in downtown Boston was great, though parking was expensive. It was clean and a comfortable space to go to, but the receptionists were never very friendly and I spent a lot of time waiting for people to call me back to answer simple questions. The billing department was also a mess.
I don't remember. Fortunately my insurance covered most of it.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Leading up to my second cycle there was a ton of confusion in getting it approved by my insurance. Some of this was fault of my insurance company but the clinic also didn't help in getting this resolved. I had to be my own advocate and literally fight to get my cycle approved.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Souter is direct, no-nonsense and matter-of-fact, which I liked. She's pleasant enough, but not super warm and fuzzy if that's what you're looking for. I saw her a couple times before starting my IUIs, but will not see her again until I have done six unsuccessful IUIs (at which time I am eligible for IVF)...If you want a straight shooter, you'll probably like Dr. Souter....For IUIs, I never saw my doctor (the nurses did the IUIs), but they were all warm and pleasant. For ultrasounds, I would see the fertility doctor on call (there are several).
In general, the nursing staff at the MGH Fertility Center have been pleasant. They have done all my IUIs, and I have interacted with them the most throughout my course of treatment. I have had a few negative experiences with Pam, Dr. Souter's primary nurse. She seems a bit scatter-brained, and once left me a voicemail about someone else's test results! She also never remembers my situation or course of treatment, so I always have to explain it to her each time we talk...Strengths: Top success rates in Boston, part of one of the country's best hospitals. Weaknesses: It doesn't always feel very personal.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
If you want a straight shooter, you'll probably like Dr. Souter.
The MGH Fertility Center is part of a large hospital and sees many patients, so they have many systems and routines for patients. For IUIs, I never saw my doctor (the nurses did the IUIs), but they were all warm and pleasant. For ultrasounds, I would see the fertility doctor on call (there are several). So far, I don't have anything negative to say about any of the doctors that i have seen. When you call the fertility center about something, they take your number and you have to wait for a call back from a nurse.
So far, I have done four unsuccessful IUIs. Given my situation, I have to do six IUIs unsuccessfully before my insurance will cover IVF -- so that is the treatment plan I am currently on. I am doing natural cycle IUIs (no medication) with ultrasound monitoring and a trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Pam)
In general, the nursing staff at the MGH Fertility Center have been pleasant. They have done all my IUIs, and I have interacted with them the most throughout my course of treatment. I have had a few negative experiences with Pam, Dr. Souter's primary nurse. She seems a bit scatter-brained, and once left me a voicemail about someone else's test results! She also never remembers my situation or course of treatment, so I always have to explain it to her each time we talk. Perhaps that's part of being seen at a larger hospital-based clinic.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
IUIs are $880 each. My medications and ultrasounds were covered by my insurance, as were my office visits.

2014 - 2017, Unsuccessful
When I see Dr Styer he has a lot of patience, compassion, and answers all questions fully. I wish we had done some of the tests he recently ordered sooner in the process but really that is my only complaint...Dr. Styer is often too busy given his schedule that I only speak with him at the end of IUI/IVF...Initially Dr Styer wanted me to try IVF but we were looking for the least invasive option. It seemed like it was more our decision than his recommendation that took precedence at that time.
It seems that they [MGH] are very busy and at sometimes disorganized. They are always running a little late and I often do not get phone calls back...When I'm traveling, I have a hard time getting in touch with the nurses to get in touch with medication implications. Also during an IUI, I had a very upsetting appointment where I was waiting so long I was nervous that the thawed sperm was impacted...
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He is difficult to schedule time with so be sure you do it far in advance.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I have had problems getting the medication straight and people to call me back in a timely fashion. Also I have had to come back for blood draw that I could have the day before when I was there. Dr. Styer is often too busy given his schedule that I only speak with him at the end of IUI/IVF.
Describe the protocols Aaron K. Styer used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
Initially Dr Styer wanted me to try IVF but we were looking for the least invasive option. It seemed like it was more our decision than his recommendation that took precedence at that time. Since getting to IVF, he recommended ICSI and he was very familiar with our past as to what he felt was best emotionally for us. Due to insurance/our past history, we tried one embryo (Day 5 transfer) which did not work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl)
When I can get in touch with the nurses on the phone (which is difficult to do) they are very caring. They are very friendly and helpful when I'm in the office.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
It seems that they are very busy and at sometimes disorganized. They are always running a little late and I often do not get phone calls back.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Expensive especially when paying out of pocket.
Describe Aaron K. Styer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I have not had a multiple embryo transfer yet but hope to next cycle.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
When I'm traveling, I have a hard time getting in touch with the nurses to get in touch with medication implications. Also during an IUI, I had a very upsetting appointment where I was waiting so long I was nervous that the thawed sperm was impacted. Being hormonal, I was crying when they were doing the IUI which is not the right frame of mind. They said they have since updated the processes which I struggled with.

2015 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Styer always seemed genuinely pleased to see me/us. Even if I was just there for blood work or an ultrasound and he saw me in the waiting room he'd come by to say hello. He was thorough and his explanations and thoughts on treatment seemed to be thoughtful and based on research.... We used an antagonist protocol. After a failed fresh transfer and an FET that ended at 8 weeks in a miscarriage, we asked Dr. Styer about PGS testing for the remaining two frozen embryos. He agreed, and the next PGS-tested FET embryo was a success.
MGH is a busy clinic and you won't always get to see Dr. Styer for ultrasounds or routine visits, or even perhaps your transfer. If it's important to you that you stick with one doctor, a smaller clinic might be the way to go.... MGH was professional, organized, clean, new. It was also busy, the phlebotomists were occasionally surly as was the front desk staff (some were great though), and it's in downtown Boston, which presents its own challenges.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Styer was great at in-person meetings. His demeanor was warm and inviting and he asked multiple times if I had any questions about any of the results he discussed with me and my husband.
Cheryl was great during in-person meetings and setting up cycle calendars. She was not easy to get hold of any other time, as she didn't email. It was usually an on-call nurse that would get back to me when I called with questions, unless it was something directly related to my treatment plan.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
My insurance luckily covered everything except the deductible and the co-pay for the pharmacy costs.
Boston

Dr sabatini took over my care when my initial doctor left. I met with her once via a video chat, never in person and never saw or spoke with her again after that conversation. During my cycle I had to bring up details of the cycle which should have been known and scheduled into our plan which in the end caused complications. The cycle ended in a miscarriage, I never received a follow up call or an appointment. There was no concern from her about my well being, no concern if medically I was ok or to discuss future steps to help make our family
I would not recommend [MGH - Boston] due to the outcome of my results and the non compassionate non existent care/ follow up concern received/ not received...Nurses were friendly for the most part. I did receive extra medication from the nurse while at an appointment due to the concern of possibly running out prior to my trigger shot ...Monitoring appointments were quick. Scheduled time was provided but I would often be seen early...
I would not recommend her
Poor cycle planning. No follow up or concern for my well being or what steps to take post miscarriage
I do not remember which medications were used this cycle. There were no complications with the medications
Kind and compassionate
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
I would not recommend due to the outcome of my results and the non compassionate non existent care/ follow up concern received/ not received. I did not feel like my individual case and situation was carefully reviewed or planned out. Nurses were friendly for the most part. I did receive extra medication from the nurse while at an appointment due to the concern of possibly running out prior to my trigger shot .
More expensive than previous clinics used. My husband and I are both currently on a payment plan and still owe $4,000
Despite previous failed results we were allowed to transfer only 2 embryos and The remaining embryos were not able to be frozen
Boston

Aaron is very warm, hopeful, straightforward about diagnosis/options and clear about expectations. He is completely focused on the patient and is happy to either sit and answer questions/talk through things or get started with the treatment plan....He is an ideal choice for MD. He is kind, warm, patient, willing to sit and talk through options. He is super straightforward and clear with facts and comprehensive in the workup he prescribes to get a full picture of a couple's fertility.
Because the clinic is through MGH and they have such a high volume of patients, wait times can be brutal, but they do try to move along as fast as they can to get you in for your appointment....The nursing staff was kind. During my first two rounds of treatment that did not result in pregnancy, they acknowledged the disappointment and encouraged moving forward with another month...One day, when the wait was egregiously long, they gave out free parking stickers (a little treat in a place like Boston, ha!) and free coffee gift cards for the hospital cafeterias.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He is an ideal choice for MD. He is kind, warm, patient, willing to sit and talk through options. He is super straightforward and clear with facts and comprehensive in the workup he prescribes to get a full picture of a couple's fertility. We never felt rushed with Aaron, but we were eager to move forward with a treatment plan and he was happy to oblige. He was hopeful and positive and even encouraging when I became pregnant and didn't want to get my hopes up. I would recommend him to anyone--he was really wonderful.
Feel free to be honest with him about your hopes and expectations. Because he is very straightforward and thorough in his explanations he will help to adjust expectations if necessary (I was not optimistic, and he encouraged my optimism) and fully explain the results of a workup to back up his opinions about treatment plans.
I have PCOS, but I ovulate regularly. When my husband and I wanted to try to conceive, knowing I had the PCOS diagnosis, I proactively went to Aaron Styer for a workup as soon as I had my IUD removed. Aaron offered to let my husband and I try to conceive naturally for a while, but mentioned that we might derive some benefit from the use of Clomid (to help guarantee well matured eggs and time ovulation) and a trigger shot to help with timing. We were eager to conceive, so we wanted to start with that. He said that we would try that protocol for 6 months. Before the third cycle of Clomid and the trigger shot, I mentioned that my luteal phases seemed short (~10 days), so he suggested trying progesterone vaginal inserts which I would use every night after ovulation was confirmed 2-3 days after the trigger shot. On our third cycle of Clomid + trigger shot and the first cycle in which I used progesterone, we conceived our daughter. That pregnancy resulted in a live birth.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital.
The nursing staff was kind. During my first two rounds of treatment that did not result in pregnancy, they acknowledged the disappointment and encouraged moving forward with another month, if I was comfortable and ready. Once I became pregnant, they were encouraging and friendly, very knowledgable and eager to support me in the early weeks before I was transferred to the OB/Midwife team.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The doctors and nursing staff are AMAZING. Because the clinic is through MGH and they have such a high volume of patients, wait times can be brutal, but they do try to move along as fast as they can to get you in for your appointment. One day, when the wait was egregiously long, they gave out free parking stickers (a little treat in a place like Boston, ha!) and free coffee gift cards for the hospital cafeterias. It doesn't solve the annoyance of having to wait for a long time, but it is something and I know they try hard. I do think they're worth waiting for, though!
A few $15 co-pays for MD visits and some small prescription medication co-pays. My treatment and all medication was covered by my insurance.
We never got to IVF, but Aaron Styer had a strong preference for transferring a single embryo for several transfers in women under 35--which he discussed with me, should we have gone the IVF route. He was more open to multiple embryo transfer after subsequent IVF failure or in women over 35.
Boston

Dr Souter was always very upfront and positive with us. We had had lots of frustration before (a failed pregnancy and multiple failed IUIs, one failed IVF) and were grateful to start anew with her...We had been utilizing Dr Styer and I moved to Dr Souter. Personality wise, I just cliqued with Irene better. My husband liked both. After multiple failed IUIs, I just needed to change something up and moving clinics felt like a huge undertaking. Irene was like a breath of fresh air I needed.
MGH had recommendations on how many to use [Eset] given how many times we had tried and my age. We elected for one both times...I often had to inquire if they had forgotten me because they were running so late...You do not see the same nurse, although all were compassionate...I felt getting responses back from nurses before they closed was always a huge undertaking. And oftentimes, you need the medication called in before a certain time. The experience was very stressful for me. It seemed that they were understaffed.
Stay positive!
I don't remember exactly but this was our final IVF shot before I moved clinics. The retrieval went well this time and I knew that the transfer was good, the doctor who did it exclaimed it went really well and felt it had a great chance. This positivity helped me as well thinking things went well.
You do not see the same nurse, although all were compassionate. Often MGH is running late and getting there with traffic and work is a stressful experience.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Traffic, parking, and tardiness were a constant with MGH for me. At the time we were living in Brookline so not too far away but I came to despise going to the hospital in the mornings. The earlier appointment the better as less people have been given the chance to be late and push back appointments. I always felt that the person working behind the desk (there was some turnover) was not always the friendliest and sometimes not organized. I often had to inquire if they had forgotten me because they were running so late.
Our insurance didn't cover any treatments.
MGH had recommendations on how many to use given how many times we had tried and my age. We elected for one both times.