Selling medication is not offered

Waltham
52 Second Ave
Waltham, MA 02451

2010 - 2014, Successful
I would say to trust her. Dr. Shifren knows what she's doing. She's not overly aggressive with the treatments like some doctors...She was thorough but very efficient at the same time.
[My nurse at MGH] was very caring and thorough with the instructions given to me for all the medications etc. They remembered details of my husband as well although he did not visit the clinic as much as I did.
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
dr Shifren was professional and very thorough in explaining everything. i would say she's one of the best in her field. she was thorough but very efficient at the same time. she had great bedside manner as well. when I miscarried she called to say how sorry she was, and when I got pregnant (twice) she called to congratulate me and say how happy she is for me. I loved the nurse that supports her as well. I still frequently send her and dr Shifren photos of my daughters who she helped me bring to this world!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I would say to trust her. she knows what she's doing. she's not overly aggressive with the treatments like some doctors who gets you pregnant but will multiples which is high risk. she helped me get pregnant twice and I ended up with two singletons. Two healthy girls.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I talked to her nurse, Judy all the time. She was very caring and thorough with the instructions given to me for all the medications etc. They remembered details of my husband as well although he did not visit the clinic as much as I did.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Judy Shankman)
Compassionate, organized, and trustworthy
2013 - 2014, Unknown Success
Doctor Shifren is very compassionate and caring, but there is a point in which her demeanor is almost too sensitive that felt like I was a baby myself. I got to see her a lot though, which is comforting....Dr. Shifren and team agreed to giving me one try at IVF with my own eggs due to DOR/poor egg quality. Needed a salpingectomy, then started an aggressive Lupron Flare protocol.
There were monitoring hours [at MGH Fertility] but you made an appointment. It was very well run and efficient. The best part was, you were almost always monitored by a doctor who would tell you what was happening while you were there. You would still get a call later from a nurse with instructions, but at the monitoring appointment, you would know how things were progressing. No anxious waiting involved.
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Doctor Shiffren is very compassionate and caring, but there is a point in which her demeanor is almost too sensitive that felt like I was a baby myself. I got to see her a lot though, which is comforting.
If you prefer a very gentle and coddling personality, she's definitely for you. If you're more straightforward and "down to business," I recommend another doctor.
Dr. Shiffren and team were very warm but it was clear decisions were based on published statistics that make the clinic "successful."
Describe the protocols Jan Shifren used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
Dr. Shiffren and team agreed to giving me one try at IVF with my own eggs due to DOR/poor egg quality. Needed a salpingectomy, then started an aggressive Lupron Flare protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Awesome!
Well run and efficient.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Massachusetts General Hospital.
There were monitoring hours but you made an appointment. It was very well run and efficient. The best part was, you were almost always monitored by a doctor who would tell you what was happening while you were there. You would still get a call later from a nurse with instructions, but at the monitoring appointment, you would know how things were progressing. No anxious waiting involved.
2012 - 2014, Successful
Dr. Shifren was great; very warm and friendly but honest. She was encouraging about our chances but realistic that it might be a rough road (which it was). Any time we hit a setback or made progress she personally called me with comfort or congrats. The only downside is that I didn't often see her in my regular (sometimes daily) clinic visits, but I wasn't bothered because I found all the doctors to be great and she was deifnitely reachable if needed.
They [the staff at MGH Fertility] were always warm, funny, and friendly. I really never had a bad experience with a nurse that I can remember. The office seems to run really efficiently. I rarely had a long wait. The front desk staff was a little blase but the interaction with them is minimal (and they were never unfriendly).
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Be patient....I think that's probably universal in the fertility process though.
Dr. Shifted is extremely warm and empathetic. I never felt rushed or like I couldn't talk with her. She personally called to check in with me several times outside of regular visits. All of the other doctors and nurses I saw were always positive, warm, and friendly. Even though they had tons of other patients lined up I felt like I got personal attention.
They were always warm, funny, and friendly. I really never had a bad experience with a nurse that I can remember. The office seems to run really efficiently. I rarely had a long wait. The front desk staff was a little blase but the interaction with them is minimal (and they were never unfriendly).
2013 - 2014, Successful
3 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Toth was thorough and realistic. He had to deliver the news to us that my hormone levels did not meet insurance minimums for coverage of IVF. He made the recommendation to use the frozen embryo we had and suggested that our next option after that would be egg donor. While this was difficult news to hear, he was kind, took time with us and answered all of our questions....He took the time to talk to us. He delivered what was bad news in a very kind way and made suggestions while being clear it was our decision on how to proceed.
Excellent care. Specifically located in a private area of the hospital not close to OB-GYN. The office [MGH - Boston] is very busy so it sometimes got backed up but never anything too bad. I always felt that I was getting the best treatment in the country....[Nurse] Cheryl was terrific - always upbeat...We had to pay out of pocket for the frozen transfer. I believe it was $10,000...Dr. Toth was thorough and realistic.
How was your experience with Thomas Toth at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Toth at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He will be upfront about your reality of getting pregnant but will communicate it in a nice manner.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Toth at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the protocols Thomas Toth used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
We did a frozen embryo transfer. It resulted in a healthy 9 lb boy!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl)
Cheryl was terrific - always upbeat.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Excellent care. Specifically located in a private area of the hospital not close to OB-GYN. The office is very busy so it sometimes got backed up but never anything too bad. I always felt that I was getting the best treatment in the country.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Toth at Massachusetts General Hospital.
We had to pay out of pocket for the frozen transfer. I believe it was $10,000
Describe Thomas Toth's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Not applicable. I only had one embryo.
Thomas Toth

2012 - 2013, Successful
Dr. Styer was sympathetic to our particular story and knew how urgently we wanted to be parents. He also personally called us after one of our miscarriages... He never forced us into anything we were not comfortable with. He respected my decision to transfer 2 embryos. I chose to have him remain my RE after we moved across country and he was great at communicating even over the phone when I could not be there for an appointment. He also watched me very carefully during early pregnancy and made sure I felt taken care of, I had lots of ultrasounds for reassurance.
FET [at Massachusetts General Hospital] was around $4,000-5,000...Every person that I worked with at MGH was a pleasure, be they support staff, nurse, or doctor. It is truly their desire to see your big pregnant belly in the future! The weakness of this clinic and I assume most clinics, is the time it takes from your first appointment to your first positive pregnancy test takes almost a year. The waiting is hard and their schedule for procedures is very full so it can take a while to get your cycle going for IVF.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Styer was great at explaining our choices and supporting us in whatever direction we wanted to go. He was compassionate and professional. He never forced us into anything we were not comfortable with. He respected my decision to transfer 2 embryos. I chose to have him remain my RE after we moved across country and he was great at communicating even over the phone when I could not be there for an appointment. He also watched me very carefully during early pregnancy and made sure I felt taken care of, I had lots of ultrasounds for reassurance.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I would tell them to trust that Dr. Styer is doing everything in his power to have you bring home a baby, in an ethical way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the protocols Aaron K. Styer used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
We had male factor infertility and Dr. Styer recommended IVF with ICSI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl Igo)
I was very close with my nurse and she always knew what was going on with my particular cycle. Whenever I called or emailed she got back to me quickly. She also worked with us out of state over the phone and she was a good communicator.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
In Massachusetts ART is covered by insurance, so we had few out of pocket costs, only around $2,000. When we were covered and when we no longer lived in MA the cost for a FET was around $4,000-5,000.
Describe Aaron K. Styer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
He recommended that we transfer a single embryo but I wanted to transfer two on two separate transfers and he allowed us to do that.
Aaron K. Styer
2007 - 2012, Successful
She [Dr. Shifren] was very kind, knowledgeable, and honest. I was feeling very fragile and disheartened and she found a way to give hope but not false hope. She was non judgemental. She made you feel like she remembers every patient who walks through her door....She was very personable, did not rush me, was very empathetic....Very personable. Felt like everyone [at MGH] knew me, my struggles, and my hopes. Felt like they were my team and that I mattered.
Very personable. Felt like everyone [at MGH] knew me, my struggles, and my hopes. Felt like they were my team and that I mattered. Well organized and efficient. Location wasn't ideal to where I lived and worked at the time. Parking was kind of a pain....She [Dr. Shifren] was very kind, knowledgeable, and honest. I was feeling very fragile and disheartened and she found a way to give hope but not false hope. She was non judgemental. She made you feel like she remembers every patient who walks through her door....
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
She was very kind, knowledgeable, and honest. I was feeling very fragile and disheartened and she found a way to give hope but not false hope. She was non judgemental. She made you feel like she remembers every patient who walks through her door.
She was very personable, did not rush me, was very empathetic.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Very personable. Felt like everyone knew me, my struggles, and my hopes. Felt like they were my team and that I mattered. Well organized and efficient. Location wasn't ideal to where I lived and worked at the time. Parking was kind of a pain.
2009 - 2010, Successful
He came across as very detached. While matter-of-fact can be ok, he communicated in a way that made me feel less than human - like he had a protocol he followed and who I was, how I felt, etc was pretty irrelevant. Ultimately, I got what I wanted: I became pregnant after two rounds of IUI... However, he did very little to make what is already a horrible experience any more bearable.
He [Dr. Petrozza] came across as very detached. While matter-of-fact can be ok, he communicated in a way that made me feel less than human - like he had a protocol he followed and who I was, how I felt, etc was pretty irrelevant. Ultimately, I got what I wanted: I became pregnant after two rounds of IUI... However, he did very little to make what is already a horrible experience any more bearable.
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Ultimately, I got what I wanted: I became pregnant after two rounds of IUI. For that reason I wouldn't discourage friends from going to Dr Petrozza and I will always feel grateful for his help. However, he did very little to make what is already a horrible experience any more bearable. He came across as fairly cold and detached, which I wasn't completely bothered by. He actually would reintroduce himself at every appointment as if we had never met, which was almost funny. My real difficulty with him happened when I opted not to do a vaccine that he was pushing me to get (something that would have delayed my treatment months, I did after careful consideration and consulting a highly respected infectious disease MD) I was horrified by the way he treated me. He was belittling and not in the least compassionate. Luckily, he didn't remember who I was at my next appointment. I had a friend who had a very similar experience with him. She did say when she went back to see him to have a second child, his bedside manner had improved dramatically, almost to the point where she wondered if he had gotten negative feedback and was making a serious effort to be more personable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
As much as you can, try to go into your interactions with him with your own sense of detachment. As emotional as the process is, try to look at him as a vehicle to get where you're trying to go. Ultimately, he's a surgeon who can perform a procedure that you may need.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr Petrozza's bedside manner was generally horrible. He came across as very detached. While matter-of-fact can be ok, he communicated in a way that made me feel less than human - like he had a protocol he followed and who I was, how I felt, etc was pretty irrelevant.
John Petrozza