Selling medication is not offered

52 Second Ave
Waltham, MA 02451
617-726-8868

2009 - 2010, Successful
He came across as very detached. While matter-of-fact can be ok, he communicated in a way that made me feel less than human - like he had a protocol he followed and who I was, how I felt, etc was pretty irrelevant. Ultimately, I got what I wanted: I became pregnant after two rounds of IUI... However, he did very little to make what is already a horrible experience any more bearable.
He [Dr. Petrozza] came across as very detached. While matter-of-fact can be ok, he communicated in a way that made me feel less than human - like he had a protocol he followed and who I was, how I felt, etc was pretty irrelevant. Ultimately, I got what I wanted: I became pregnant after two rounds of IUI... However, he did very little to make what is already a horrible experience any more bearable.
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Ultimately, I got what I wanted: I became pregnant after two rounds of IUI. For that reason I wouldn't discourage friends from going to Dr Petrozza and I will always feel grateful for his help. However, he did very little to make what is already a horrible experience any more bearable. He came across as fairly cold and detached, which I wasn't completely bothered by. He actually would reintroduce himself at every appointment as if we had never met, which was almost funny. My real difficulty with him happened when I opted not to do a vaccine that he was pushing me to get (something that would have delayed my treatment months, I did after careful consideration and consulting a highly respected infectious disease MD) I was horrified by the way he treated me. He was belittling and not in the least compassionate. Luckily, he didn't remember who I was at my next appointment. I had a friend who had a very similar experience with him. She did say when she went back to see him to have a second child, his bedside manner had improved dramatically, almost to the point where she wondered if he had gotten negative feedback and was making a serious effort to be more personable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
As much as you can, try to go into your interactions with him with your own sense of detachment. As emotional as the process is, try to look at him as a vehicle to get where you're trying to go. Ultimately, he's a surgeon who can perform a procedure that you may need.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr Petrozza's bedside manner was generally horrible. He came across as very detached. While matter-of-fact can be ok, he communicated in a way that made me feel less than human - like he had a protocol he followed and who I was, how I felt, etc was pretty irrelevant.
2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Souter is very direct which I like. She takes the medical care of her patients seriously and is hesitant to start with the most invasive course of action immediately. She also is receptive/concerned with the financial costs....She is very direct which may come off as harsh but when it matters she is supportive and kind including giving me a hug and holding my hand when learning of a miscarriage....While she may seem tough, she is there for you when it really matters.
[MGH - Boston] Strengths: they are very organized which helps with as much planning is possible during this process. US & bW happen in the morning followed by IUIs and then iVf and appts are a bit later. They are open 7 days /wk even during bad weather Weakness: there are many patients coming and going, it is a busy practice...All but one nurse showed compassion during the process. They are generally very responsive (you need to call and leave a message) and call back within a few hours. They were knowledgeable and very helpful. I worked with the nurses more than the dr during the process.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
While she may seem tough, she is there for you when it really matters.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I first visited Dr. Souter in 2015, when I returned in 2016 (nearly 2 year’s later) she remembered me. She is very direct which may come off as harsh but when it matters she is supportive and kind including giving me a hug and holding my hand when learning of a miscarriage.
Describe the protocols Irene Souter used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
1 unmediated IUi 2 medicated IUI 1 IVF cycle (flare) Low ovarian reserve
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Co-pays
Describe Irene Souter's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
They have a chart that outlines how many embryos will be transferred during each cycle.
Boston

Dr Styer was compassionate and a nice doctor. He didn't try any alternative protocols like they did at Boston IVF where I retrieved 8 times the number of eggs. I liked Dr Styer personally but he didn't spend the time to try other protocols...Cheryl was wonderful and compassionate. I loved her. The other nurse was more gruff and not helpful in terms of explaining injections or any part of the process. I can't remember her name but I was less than happy when I would see her at visits
I would go to MGH is you are young and have unexplained fertility. If you are over 37 I would go to Boston IVF or the Sher fertility clinic in NYC. MGH seems less motivated to treat older women creatively compared to other clinics...Cheryl was wonderful and compassionate. I loved her. The other nurse was more gruff and not helpful in terms of explaining injections or any part of the process. I can't remember her name but I was less than happy when I would see her at visits
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
To try to investigate other options before suggesting donor eggs automatically
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: cheryl)
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
About $15,000.00 out of pocket
Describe Aaron K. Styer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I wish they had explained options to me such as embryo freezing a year before my treatment when I first visited for information that would have been a decision I would have made earlier or even that financing was available given I was paying out of pocket and it took me a year to save the 12K
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic didn't explain any other options beyond fresh transfer. They weren't willing to try other protocols or get to the route of my hormone imbalance like Boston IVF did
2013 - 2015, Successful
On our first meeting, Dr. Souter explained the entire process very thoroughly and on each subsequent visit, I felt as though I knew what to expect next...I couldn't be happier with her as my doctor. After my failed IVF attempt (the second of three attempts), Dr. Souter called me personally to see how I was doing and to make a plan for moving forward with another cycle.
I met with most of the doctors on the team at MGH Fertility clinic, and have to say each of them made me feel the same way-- very comfortable and as though I was in good hands and that my situation was very important to them. [The nursing staff was] very kind and caring and very much on top of things!
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
On our first meeting, Dr. Souter explained the entire process very throughly and on each subsequent visit, I felt as though I knew what to expect next. I had even run into Dr. Souter out in public in my hometown (A suburb of Boston) and she couldn't have been more pleasant- she knew me by my first name, introduced me to her daughter, interacted with my daughter (and remembered her name) whom was conceived through IVF with Dr. Souter. I couldn't be happier with her as my doctor. After my failed IVF attempt (the second of three attempts), Dr. Souter called me personally to see how I was doing and to make a plan for moving forward with another cycle.
I think if I were to give one piece of advice to a prospective patient, it would be that having a child is a miracle and no matter how good your doctor is, it might not work. You have to have patience with the process.
In the three times I went through IVF with Dr. Souter, I always felt like both she and her team knew me as a person- I met with most of the doctors on the team at MGH Fertility clinic, and have to say each of them made me feel the same way-- very comfortable and as though I was in good hands and that my situation was very important to them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Very kind and caring and very much on top of things!
2014, Successful
He was upfront and honest with us about the need to use a donor egg and ICSI, after two failed IVF's with colleagues in his clinic, he would have moved forward with our own embryo's if we wanted by he painted a realist picture of what our success rate would be 0.5%
His [Dr. Petrozza 's] staff made us feel more human, we rarely saw him. Julie was the donor coordinator and she took care of everything for us; we couldn't have been more happy with her. the staff nurses who assisted during the transfer were also wonderful.
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
ask a lot of question and understand WHY you're not able to conceive. Knowing why your not getting pregnant will help you be able to make decisions about topics you haven't considered yet, like donor egg
his staff made us feel more human, we rarely saw him
Describe the protocols John Petrozza used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
we used a donor egg, so I felt less in control of the process. he had a clear roadmap of donor egg cycles to get me to feel comfortable with what this cycle would be like compared to my other two unsuccessful cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Julie Gold)
teaching hospital based clinic
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital.
the first two cycles were covered by insurance, the donor egg cycle cost of $25000.00 out of pocket
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
the blood lab accidently threw out my blood sample when discarding the used needle in the sharps container and had to redraw the sample for the pregnancy test. I had to call to get results, they only make call backs at the end of the day, but the results were sitting in their office from 8am that morning.

2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Dr. Sabitini is incredibly kind, and respectful. However I never feel like I had enough time in her office, and she was late for several of our planned phone calls.... Dr. Sabitini is brilliant. She specializes in infertility with cancer which is why she was the perfect fit for me. That said, I often feel rushed during our visits and always walk away with more questions.... She can have a tough bedside manner, but go in to your appointment ready to learn and with questions knowing that she is going to do everything she can to help you have a baby.
MGH is an incredible hospital with amazing staff. That said, they are all extremely busy and it would be nice to have more time per appointment because even though they have done this a million times, it’s my first experience and I’m terrified.... I have not received calls with all my test results although they do get posted online.... I am about to start IVF with ICSI and PGS. Dr. Sabitini recommended this treatment as I have a chronic cancer and have a very short window to conceive
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the protocols Mary Sabatini Morris used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
I am about to start IVF with ICSI and PGS. Dr. Sabitini recommended this treatment as I have a chronic cancer and have a very short window to conceive and carry a baby before my cancer relapses. This treatment will give me the best shot.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital.
We are still determining this.
Boston
I am also a physician, but fertility is not my specialty. Dr. Styer [at MGH[ explained my diagnosis and treatment plan in both simple and complex terms. He was very down to earth and caring and was very sensitive about telling me I had a reduced number of eggs. He was very confident in my success given my age and he was right. He recommended going right to IVF although I am single. I am now 10 wks pregnant with twins!!! Very happy an
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr Styer and his nurse Cheryl were superb and always attentive to my questions and needs. I am completely satisfied!!! They were really good good about about holding my hand throughout the entire process and kept me positive even when I learned that I had a lower number of eggs.
No advice needed. The experience was great. He and his team gave me the best care!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I am also a physician, but fertility is not my specialty. Dr. Styer explained my diagnosis and treatment plan in both simple and complex terms. He was very down to earth and caring and was very sensitive about telling me I had a reduced number of eggs. He was very confident in my success given my age and he was right. He recommended going right to IVF although I am single. I am now 10 wks pregnant with twins!!! Very happy and satisfied with Dr, Styer's professional approach, expertise and sensitive approach to walking me through this difficult process.
Describe the protocols Aaron K. Styer used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
I dont remember all of the shots. But I used Gonal G and Menopur and did Lupron with Flare protocol
Very organized and sensitive to my questions and concerns
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
It was one stop shopping with blood draws, ultrasounds and egg retrieval in one space
2013 - 2014, Successful
3 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Toth was thorough and realistic. He had to deliver the news to us that my hormone levels did not meet insurance minimums for coverage of IVF. He made the recommendation to use the frozen embryo we had and suggested that our next option after that would be egg donor. While this was difficult news to hear, he was kind, took time with us and answered all of our questions....He took the time to talk to us. He delivered what was bad news in a very kind way and made suggestions while being clear it was our decision on how to proceed.
Excellent care. Specifically located in a private area of the hospital not close to OB-GYN. The office [MGH - Boston] is very busy so it sometimes got backed up but never anything too bad. I always felt that I was getting the best treatment in the country....[Nurse] Cheryl was terrific - always upbeat...We had to pay out of pocket for the frozen transfer. I believe it was $10,000...Dr. Toth was thorough and realistic.
How was your experience with Thomas Toth at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Toth at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He will be upfront about your reality of getting pregnant but will communicate it in a nice manner.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Toth at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the protocols Thomas Toth used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
We did a frozen embryo transfer. It resulted in a healthy 9 lb boy!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl)
Cheryl was terrific - always upbeat.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Excellent care. Specifically located in a private area of the hospital not close to OB-GYN. The office is very busy so it sometimes got backed up but never anything too bad. I always felt that I was getting the best treatment in the country.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Toth at Massachusetts General Hospital.
We had to pay out of pocket for the frozen transfer. I believe it was $10,000
Describe Thomas Toth's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Not applicable. I only had one embryo.
Thomas Toth
2012 - 2014, Successful
Dr. Shifren was great; very warm and friendly but honest. She was encouraging about our chances but realistic that it might be a rough road (which it was). Any time we hit a setback or made progress she personally called me with comfort or congrats. The only downside is that I didn't often see her in my regular (sometimes daily) clinic visits, but I wasn't bothered because I found all the doctors to be great and she was deifnitely reachable if needed.
They [the staff at MGH Fertility] were always warm, funny, and friendly. I really never had a bad experience with a nurse that I can remember. The office seems to run really efficiently. I rarely had a long wait. The front desk staff was a little blase but the interaction with them is minimal (and they were never unfriendly).
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Be patient....I think that's probably universal in the fertility process though.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Shifted is extremely warm and empathetic. I never felt rushed or like I couldn't talk with her. She personally called to check in with me several times outside of regular visits. All of the other doctors and nurses I saw were always positive, warm, and friendly. Even though they had tons of other patients lined up I felt like I got personal attention.
They were always warm, funny, and friendly. I really never had a bad experience with a nurse that I can remember. The office seems to run really efficiently. I rarely had a long wait. The front desk staff was a little blase but the interaction with them is minimal (and they were never unfriendly).
2013 - 2014, Unknown Success
Doctor Shifren is very compassionate and caring, but there is a point in which her demeanor is almost too sensitive that felt like I was a baby myself. I got to see her a lot though, which is comforting....Dr. Shifren and team agreed to giving me one try at IVF with my own eggs due to DOR/poor egg quality. Needed a salpingectomy, then started an aggressive Lupron Flare protocol.
There were monitoring hours [at MGH Fertility] but you made an appointment. It was very well run and efficient. The best part was, you were almost always monitored by a doctor who would tell you what was happening while you were there. You would still get a call later from a nurse with instructions, but at the monitoring appointment, you would know how things were progressing. No anxious waiting involved.
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Doctor Shiffren is very compassionate and caring, but there is a point in which her demeanor is almost too sensitive that felt like I was a baby myself. I got to see her a lot though, which is comforting.
If you prefer a very gentle and coddling personality, she's definitely for you. If you're more straightforward and "down to business," I recommend another doctor.
Dr. Shiffren and team were very warm but it was clear decisions were based on published statistics that make the clinic "successful."
Describe the protocols Jan Shifren used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
Dr. Shiffren and team agreed to giving me one try at IVF with my own eggs due to DOR/poor egg quality. Needed a salpingectomy, then started an aggressive Lupron Flare protocol.
Awesome!
Well run and efficient.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Massachusetts General Hospital.
There were monitoring hours but you made an appointment. It was very well run and efficient. The best part was, you were almost always monitored by a doctor who would tell you what was happening while you were there. You would still get a call later from a nurse with instructions, but at the monitoring appointment, you would know how things were progressing. No anxious waiting involved.
2010 - 2014, Successful
I would say to trust her. Dr. Shifren knows what she's doing. She's not overly aggressive with the treatments like some doctors...She was thorough but very efficient at the same time.
[My nurse at MGH] was very caring and thorough with the instructions given to me for all the medications etc. They remembered details of my husband as well although he did not visit the clinic as much as I did.
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
dr Shifren was professional and very thorough in explaining everything. i would say she's one of the best in her field. she was thorough but very efficient at the same time. she had great bedside manner as well. when I miscarried she called to say how sorry she was, and when I got pregnant (twice) she called to congratulate me and say how happy she is for me. I loved the nurse that supports her as well. I still frequently send her and dr Shifren photos of my daughters who she helped me bring to this world!
I would say to trust her. she knows what she's doing. she's not overly aggressive with the treatments like some doctors who gets you pregnant but will multiples which is high risk. she helped me get pregnant twice and I ended up with two singletons. Two healthy girls.
I talked to her nurse, Judy all the time. She was very caring and thorough with the instructions given to me for all the medications etc. They remembered details of my husband as well although he did not visit the clinic as much as I did.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Judy Shankman)
Compassionate, organized, and trustworthy
2007 - 2012, Successful
She [Dr. Shifren] was very kind, knowledgeable, and honest. I was feeling very fragile and disheartened and she found a way to give hope but not false hope. She was non judgemental. She made you feel like she remembers every patient who walks through her door....She was very personable, did not rush me, was very empathetic....Very personable. Felt like everyone [at MGH] knew me, my struggles, and my hopes. Felt like they were my team and that I mattered.
Very personable. Felt like everyone [at MGH] knew me, my struggles, and my hopes. Felt like they were my team and that I mattered. Well organized and efficient. Location wasn't ideal to where I lived and worked at the time. Parking was kind of a pain....She [Dr. Shifren] was very kind, knowledgeable, and honest. I was feeling very fragile and disheartened and she found a way to give hope but not false hope. She was non judgemental. She made you feel like she remembers every patient who walks through her door....
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
She was very kind, knowledgeable, and honest. I was feeling very fragile and disheartened and she found a way to give hope but not false hope. She was non judgemental. She made you feel like she remembers every patient who walks through her door.
She was very personable, did not rush me, was very empathetic.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Very personable. Felt like everyone knew me, my struggles, and my hopes. Felt like they were my team and that I mattered. Well organized and efficient. Location wasn't ideal to where I lived and worked at the time. Parking was kind of a pain.
Boston
Dr. Attaman was excellent, very competent and compassionate. I liked that she was clear about setting expectations of success and issues...She seems to have a good plan for each scenario and was realistic about risks and benefits. She took the time to discuss things with us and was in touch as much as needed. I think she has a good combo of being experienced enough and also up to date with treatments.
The one major issue with MGH is you can't pick the doctor you see for clinic visits. Whoever is scheduled is who you must see, or you must cancel your cycle. People who can't or won't see male doctors for mental health or religious reasons, or just personal preferences, will be stuck seeing a male doctor at some point for an ultrasound...[nursing staff] Generally great, although they took a long time coordinating the paperwork on a procedure which lead to some missed cycles where we couldn't do treatment.
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jill Attaman at Massachusetts General Hospital?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jill Attaman at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the protocols Jill Attaman used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
We did IUIs with clomid due to unexplained infertility. We're still optimistic it will work as we haven't been trying for long.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The one major issue with MGH is you can't pick the doctor you see for clinic visits. Whoever is scheduled is who you must see, or you must cancel your cycle. People who can't or won't see male doctors for mental health or religious reasons, or just personal preferences, will be stuck seeing a male doctor at some point for an ultrasound. There's no consideration given to patients who can't do that and patients are told brusquely that "this is what they signed up for, and they're welcome to leave and cancel their cycle" even if they've already paid for it and taken meds for it. I was not warned ahead of time that this was a possibility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jill Attaman at Massachusetts General Hospital.
MA insurance covers infertility treatments so insurance covered it.
Describe Jill Attaman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
No idea
Jill Attaman
Boston

I felt that he [Dr. Petrozza] was not eager to customize the treatment plan for me and just throw me into a preset treatment plan. When I asked for the rationale of how and why the protocol was set for me, I was not given an answer. When the treatment did not work, the reason is always my egg quality...It is just the regular antagonist protocol vs. micro-flare protocol. I wish more information would be provided for me for these treatments
They [Massachusetts General Hospital] know a lot. But as I put earlier, the small room and the inpatient reception desk person, and the messing up of my insurance issues, and the last-minute style of transfer (basically they do not let you know anything about how your fresh eggs are like until several seconds before the actual transfer) made me feel that I am just a number to them...300-400 total because of the insurance for each cycle.
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He is knowledgeable about a lot of things but I felt his best set is about surgery and fibroid removal instead of treating women with infertility issues. I felt like a number throughout the treatment and constantly blamed for my egg issues.
If you are young and healthy and can be successfully treated at any place, you can work with him. Otherwise, if you want some more personal approach, do not go.
I felt that he was not eager to customize the treatment plan for me and just throw me into a preset treatment plan. When I asked for the rationale of how and why the protocol was set for me, I was not given an answer. When the treatment did not work, the reason is always my egg quality.
It is just the regular antagonist protocol vs. micro-flare protocol. I wish more information would be provided for me for these treatments. It turned out that perhaps three-day transfer would work better for me but they insisted on 5 day fresh transfer and resulted in negative test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Carol)
They messed up my insurance in the beginning and delayed my treatment by several months. Once I got in, it is getting better though I found the woman at the front desk for our morning appointments to be extremely rude. She would usually impatiently ask us to put our names down and then call out our names in front of many other patients waiting in the same room to get in and out for blood tests. I felt very bad going there every time.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
They know a lot. But as I put earlier, the small room and the inpatient reception desk person, and the messing up of my insurance issues, and the last-minute style of transfer (basically they do not let you know anything about how your fresh eggs are like until several seconds before the actual transfer) made me feel that I am just a number to them.
300-400 total because of the insurance for each cycle.
Describe John Petrozza's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Insurance messing up: They sent my documents in for the wrong case which resulted in a denial. They should have just sent the appeal in for my new case but they did not and instead asked me to wait. I waited for more than one month till they found out that they should contact the insurance company. Then I was told that they would be closed during Christmas and that I must wait for another month before starting my cycles. I lived in fear of the big financial burden for more than three months before it was finally approved. But I was not satisfied with their waiting room staff demeanor and the constant blame on my egg issues when the treatment did not work. In addition, I found that not giving me the information about the embryo situation until seconds before the transfer (fresh) to be very uncomfortable. I wish there is a buffer stage when we can be told about the embryo development stage instead of feeling so bad waiting there to hear the news.
Boston
Many times I needed her [Dr. Irene Souter] to slow down and repeat herself...However, there is no doubt that she is incredibly knowledgeable and good at what she does...[new patient advice]If you're someone who needs a positive/compassionate doctor with pleasant bedside manner, she's probably not the best fit for you...The second cycle we followed a Flare cycle, which worked much better for me. I had around 13 follicles retrieved
For me, the [Massachusetts General Hospital] location in downtown Boston was great, though parking was expensive. It was clean and a comfortable space to go to, but the receptionists were never very friendly and I spent a lot of time waiting for people to call me back to answer simple questions...[cost] Fortunately my insurance covered most of it.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Many appointments I left confused and scared of next steps. Many times I needed her to slow down and repeat herself. I always felt a bit rushed and that I couldn't get a word in. BUT, at some point I just had to let go and trust her since she clearly knew what she was doing.
Just know yourself. If you're someone who needs a positive/compassionate doctor with pleasant bedside manner, she's probably not the best fit for you. At the time, 3 years ago, when infertility was so new to me, having that type of doctor was incredibly difficult for me. But now that I've lived this stuff and understand it better, I don't think her demeanor would bother me as much.
I was treated by Dr. Souter 3 years ago so looking back I can't recall exactly how I felt. I know that I was often disappointed by her bedside manner and throughout the year-long process of getting pregnant under her care I craved a more compassionate and friendly doctor. However, there is no doubt that she is incredibly knowledgeable and good at what she does. After many, many tears, she helped my husband and I conceive a healthy baby girl and for that I am forever grateful.
I don't recall what protocol we followed my first cycle, but it was pretty much a bust. I had very few follicles, maybe 4-5 retrieved, I think 2 fertilized, we transferred 1 day 3 that did not take and the other one did not go on to be freezable. The second cycle we followed a Flare cycle, which worked much better for me. I had around 13 follicles retrieved, I think 6-7 fertilized, we transferred 1 "perfect" one that went on to become our beautiful daughter and ended up freezing one.
It was hit or miss with the nurses. Some were nice and some were not.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
For me, the location in downtown Boston was great, though parking was expensive. It was clean and a comfortable space to go to, but the receptionists were never very friendly and I spent a lot of time waiting for people to call me back to answer simple questions. The billing department was also a mess.
I don't remember. Fortunately my insurance covered most of it.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Leading up to my second cycle there was a ton of confusion in getting it approved by my insurance. Some of this was fault of my insurance company but the clinic also didn't help in getting this resolved. I had to be my own advocate and literally fight to get my cycle approved.

2016 - 2020, Unknown Success
My appointments with Dr. Morris (previously Sabatini) have always left me feeling hopeful, well taken care of, informed, and prepared. She has remembered details about my life and my first son despite the fact that our experience with her has spanned years. She is kind and warm, always gentle in her delivery...first pregnancy came after two rounds of Clomid/IUI. At the time, my ovarian reserve was lower than it should have been for my age and my husband's semen analysis was not strong either. She recommended IVF over IUI but supported our outlook on hoping we did not need it.
[Massachusetts General Hospital] is located in a clean & very well-maintained medical office building with abundant parking...staff is very friendly and organized from the receptionists to the lab technicians. Appointment times are abundant but sometimes run a bit delayed for early morning labwork and ultrasounds...[Nurse] can be a bit abrasive...shared over the phone that we would absolutely need IVF when I called to confirm test results. I felt it was not her place to give that news when we had not yet had a consultation to review results with Dr. Morris.
Dr. Morris has been and continues to be kind, informative, and direct in my care. She shares data, presents options, and offers her guidance and suggestions in a clear way. I have always felt heard and understood when sharing how we feel about certain treatments and her response is full of respect and support.
Advocate for yourself emotionally so that she can make an informed suggestion, equally important as a medical one!
My first pregnancy came after two rounds of Clomid/IUI. At the time, my ovarian reserve was lower than it should have been for my age and my husband's semen analysis was not strong either. She recommended IVF over IUI but supported our outlook on hoping we did not need it. During our attempt for a second child, she prescribed my husband 3x weekly Clomid and we attempted 6 rounds of Clomid/IUI (one was canceled due to high risk of multiples) in 2019, then three rounds of FSH/IUI at the start of 2020. Due to the Coronavirus, our final 3 FSH/IUI rounds were postponed and we plan to pursue IVF when our office reopens. Currently, my AMH has decreased significantly while my husbands stats continue to improve slightly with each treatment cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cathy )
Cathy is informative and through but can be a bit abrasive. My most prominent memory of her is from the very beginning of our experience with Dr. Morris' office in 2016 when she shared over the phone that we would absolutely need IVF when I called to confirm test results. I felt it was not her place to give that news when we had not yet had a consultation to review results with Dr. Morris.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic is located in a clean & very well-maintained medical office building with abundant parking. The staff is very friendly and organized from the receptionists to the lab technicians. Appointment times are abundant but sometimes run a bit delayed for early morning labwork and ultrasounds.
Up to this point, our IUI cycles and labwork have mostly been covered by our insurance provider. We plan to pay out of pocket for our IVF cycle and medication.
Describe Mary Sabatini Morris's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
We do not have any experience to share but know that she elects to do eSet. We feel confident and very comfortable with a single embryo transfer.

2014 - 2015, Successful
[Dr. Sabatini] was readily available, despite her busy schedule...during my second ectopic we decided to go right to surgery...she really wanted to be the one with me in surgery...that evening Dr. Sabatini was there. After working all day in Danvers, she made it into Boston that evening to help with the surgery...She reminded me of the complications that can arise with a multiple pregnancy...we transferred both and I was lucky that both implanted, but I lost one around 7 weeks. The other is now going to be 4 in June
The nursing staff [at Massachusetts General Hospital] was amazing...There were 2 nurses I dealt with that always returned my calls and called with test results when they said they would...The office was always clean, appointments were always running on time, everyone in the office was friendly...My husband wasn't always able to come with me because of work, but I truly felt as though I had a friend with me when she was my tech...I was always able to get an early appointment
I liked Dr. Sabatini instantly. From our first consult meeting my husband and I felt at ease and could see she was extremely knowledgeable in her area. She was constantly checking in and following up with us. She was readily available, despite her busy schedule. We went through a lot together. Dr. Sabatini offered support during my losses and throughout my one success. Even years after being her patient when I suffered yet another ectopic she responded to my email with compassion and support. My husband and I were debating trying again and we figured if Dr. Sabatini would still be working with us then we will. The one IVF cycle that brought me my son she was a major part of. Its rare for your doctor to complete both the retrieval and the transfer. I was fortunate enough to have Dr. Sabatini complete both and I believed all the positive energy and expertise helped bring my son into this world. For that I will always be grateful.
Book as soon as possible, I've found this time around her availability is slim. Also, speak your mind, be open and honest. Don't be afraid to disagree with her. She will take your thoughts and opinions into account. On my 5th round of IVF we had 2 really good embryos ready to transfer. She felt confident transferring one and I told her I'd really rather go with two. And she asked me over and over if I was sure because of the complications that can happen in a multiple pregnancy. I felt strongly about 2, and she told me she was confident with one and freezing the other. I asked her for 2 because in the past I had only had 1 implant and lost it early in pregnancy even with 2 transferred. She told me it was my call and we went with 2. They both implanted, and I lost one of them early on. The other is now going to be 4 in June. When I went back to see her after I had been released from her care she told me she was glad I went with my gut and had 2 transferred. So don't be afraid to disagree or want something they may not.
Dr. Sabatini definitely made me feel like a human. I will always remember during my second ectopic we decided to go right to surgery. She was booked in the office all day, however, she told me she really wanted to be the one with me in surgery. Well, I went to MGH Boston after being seen in Danvers to wait for a room and surgery. Well, I was prepped for surgery and when I came out of surgery that evening Dr. Sabatini was there. After working all day in Danvers, she made it into Boston that evening to help with the surgery or be there when I woke up. I was shocked to see her and also so glad. That convinced I was in good hands.
It's been about 5 years and my memory isn't very good. We used ICSI after the first round resulted in few eggs being fertilized. We also used assisted hatching. This time around during our consult and planning we discussed upping my dosage because I'm older and I had few eggs produced in my earlier cycles. This may also be our last go for IVF since I will have reached the last cycle covered by insurance. I'm not sure of the specifics.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
The nursing staff was amazing. They were on top of it all. There were 2 nurses I dealt with that always returned my calls and called with test results when they said they would. They were always available to answer questions and always made sure I felt comfortable and understood my test results. I never felt rushes through phone conversations or visits. They were kind and compassionate throughout my losses and celebrated my success as well. The entire staff at the Danvers office was amazing. The nurses I had for the retrievals and transfers were also some of the best. Truly there to help us feel comfortable and support us through such a difficult time and overwhelming experience.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic was wonderful. Just walking through the door I felt welcomed. The office was always clean, appointments were always running on time, everyone in the office was friendly. This was for both Danvers and Boston. I will say there was one ultrasound tech who I always looked forward to seeing. She was the best and always made it less stressful. She was always smiling and happy to see you. My husband wasn't always able to come with me because of work, but I truly felt as though I had a friend with me when she was my tech. She was so empathetic when we realized the pregnancy ended early. She was compassionate when we realized another pregnancy was ectopic. I will say keeping the same staff though the years really helped me feel more comfortable and at ease. After had my son I wanted to go back just to show everyone what they had helped me bring into the world. I send them our Christmas cards each year, I've sent thank you cards to the staff and doctor after he was born. I was so grateful to have such a supportive community throughout the entire process which went on for about 2 years.
The schedule worked so well for me. I was teaching at the time and needed the earliest appointment so that I could still get to work on time. I was always able to get an early appointment. I think there was one time that I had actually waited a while- I don't remember what caused the wait but they were very apologetic. Also it wasn't common to wait to be taken in so I wasn't upset.
I was very fortunate to have my costs covered by my insurance. I was only responsible for Co pays.
For each of my 3 cycles I had 2 embryos transferred. Dr. Sabatini only performed one of the transfers and she felt confident transferring 1. I really wanted both transfered. Due to my history of only one implanting and the many losses I suffered, I think she agreed. She reminded me of the complications that can arise with a multiple pregnancy and I still preferred both to be transferred. Well, we transferred both and I was lucky that both implanted, but I lost one around 7 weeks. The other is now going to be 4 in June.

2018 - 2022, Successful
Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
[Massachusetts General Hospital is] Very organized and friendly reception, mostly on time, staff remember you by face or name, clean and quiet office. Fast phone call answers and quick call backs. The staff are very well versed at fertility care. The ultrasound technician Mimi is an absolute star. She can do dozens of ultrasounds an hour and still remember you and make you feel comfortable. She’s fast and accurate and very punctual.
Dr Morris is very skilled, smart, and professional. At my first appointment she told us we would become parents. She always encouraged our input especially with regards to using fertility medications, genetic testing if desired and coordinated with my other care providers seamlessly. I always felt like she wanted us to succeed as much as we did. She always remembered details about our case. And she always included my husband in every decision and made sure he understood everything. She continues to show her professionalism and warmth through the good and bad results and I would recommend her to anyone who needs fertility treatment.
Make the appointment. There are so many options for care, but this process is long and takes a lot of patience and a good support system.
Dr Morris always remembered my name, details about my case, my husband’s name and asked questions about my first child whom was born through her ivf care. When giving bad news to us I always felt like she felt sad too and overjoyed when we got good results. She made me believe I could become a mother and then helped make it happen. She also tried to keep us grounded by telling us to stay ‘cautiously optimistic’ when things were scary. I am a healthcare worker and she never dismissed my own knowledge and always made sure my husband, who is not in healthcare, understood what we were speaking about too. She is never too busy to reply. Her Nurse Kathy is a gem as well!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
Kathy is a great nurse. She always called when she said she would, she was always available during hours and happily took calls, she always remembered my case and was so excited when I became pregnant. She is kind and professional and also funny. Easy to talk to and gentle with bad news. She always contacted the doctor and got questions answered right away when needed.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Minimal costs for specialty medications, everything else covered by Massachusetts insurance.
I have a cardiac condition that requires oversight from a cardiology team that prefers reduced stressors be made on my heart. Dr Morris in conjunction with my Cardiologist recommend single transfers as the stress of a multiple pregnancy may cause excess stress on my heart.

2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Attaman was fine, but we had very limited experience with her and never met her in person...There were several times I had to ask if something was right, because it seemed different to what Dr. Attaman initially told us (and then they changed course after I questioned them)...We ended up going through with 3 cycles, one was cancelled because I had too many follicles.
People at the [Mass Gen Hospital] clinic are nice; the ultrasound techs were friendly and quick; and I never had to wait more than 10-15 minutes. I had huge issues with the billing department; I needed them to resubmit a claim to my insurance which took 6 months and innumerable phone calls. I was also sent a bill for something I pre-paid in advance...IUIs were about $1000 each
How was your experience with Jill Attaman at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Attaman was fine, but we had very limited experience with her and never met her in person. We had two Zoom appointments with Dr. Attaman; otherwise we only spoke with nurses. So, it's hard to really rate our care with DR. Attaman.
Advocate for yourself. Remember everything Dr. Attaman tells you, because it might not be conveyed to your nurse. There were several times I had to ask if something was right, because it seemed different to what Dr. Attaman initially told us (and then they changed course after I questioned them)
We never actually met with Dr. Attaman or the nurses in person due to COVID19. We dealt with a bunch of different nurses who were super disorganized. There were a bunch of mistakes - I was given the wrong prescription, not told I needed a prescription until hours before I needed to do an injection (and then needing to drive a speciality pharmacy 45 minutes away on Christmas Eve), etc.
We did 4 rounds of IUI (all paid out of pocket) because our insurance didn't cover any fertility treatment and IVF was out of our price range. We ended up going through with 3 cycles, one was cancelled because I had too many follicles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cathy / Joanne)
I got very few details from the nurses - no one ever told me how many follicles I had, how big they were, etc - just "come back on X day." They also forgot to tell me about medications I needed, sent in the wrong prescription (for double the dosage I needed), and were in general disorganized.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
People at the clinic are nice; the ultrasound techs were friendly and quick; and I never had to wait more than 10-15 minutes. I had huge issues with the billing department; I needed them to resubmit a claim to my insurance which took 6 months and innumerable phone calls. I was also sent a bill for something I pre-paid in advance.
IUIs were about $1000 each
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Prescription not called in twice; I had to remind clinic I needed a prescription; sent wrong prescription once and had to call doctor on call after hours.
Jill Attaman

2016 - 2019, Successful
IUI With Other Docs
Dr. Sabatini is compassionate while also being direct and sharing the facts. She works out a plan for you to follow on your journey with positivity the entire way. She used to talk to us as if having a baby was a certainty, not a possibility. She made us optimistic. We trusted her guidance and she led us to the best outcome possible- a beautiful daughter and frozen embryos for the future. We owe our daughter- our family- to her...Ask her questions, she will be happy to answer...my ivf cycles were quite straight forward- my follicles grew well and many were retrieved. Nonetheless, she made me aware of all possibilities and what would happen in different scenarios.
During our second retrieval [at Massachusetts General Hospital], our nurse, Cathy, failed to call us to tell us how many embryos were successfully fertilized and whether or not we were to start progesterone...We ended up having to call the doctor on call after hours, who had to find our file and then share with us the good news that we had embryos fertilized and to start progesterone...The techs are wonderful! Always upbeat during scans and the nurses who drew my blood were always sweet and caring. The office itself runs smoothly, appointments were always on time, and I looked forward to seeing all of Sabatini’s staff (besides Cathy, who I usually only spoke to on the phone).
Trust her. Know that she has your best interests in mind. Ask her questions, she will be happy to answer. Contact her office with any concerns you have. Believe in her optimism.
Dr. Sabatini learned about us as a couple and cared about what we were going through. While she was compassionate, she was also direct and helped us to see where we stood and where we needed to go.
Dr. Sabatini’s office is very experienced and knows what they’re doing. Each scan will lead them to direct your medications accordingly, know that they are making changes as needed. We were very lucky and my ivf cycles were quite straight forward- my follicles grew well and many were retrieved. Nonetheless, she made me aware of all possibilities and what would happen in different scenarios.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cathy (can’t remember last name))
If you end up working with Cathy, Dr. Sabatini’s nurse, know to have a tough skin. Cathy wasn’t always pleasant and often seemed annoyed by questions. She isn’t especially personable and seems to lack empathy. She also didn’t always call when she was supposed to. She sometimes came across as straight up rude. We put up with her because of how much we liked Dr. Sabatini, but if we’d had a choice, we would not have chosen to work with her.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
We had insurance for our first cycles, but our frozen cycle was uninsured. It was quite expensive, at least $4,000-$6,000.
Dr. Sabatini was an advocate for transferring a single embryo in our cycles, as our embryos were of high quality. We understand her reasoning behind this, as multiples can be more risky.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
During our second retrieval, our nurse, Cathy, failed to call us to tell us how many embryos were successfully fertilized and whether or not we were to start progesterone. We tried calling the clinic in the afternoon to inquire, and the receptionist said that they had until the end of the day to call us and that Cathy would. We waited, and she never did. The next time we called to get our embryo fertilization results, the office was closed. We were very upset, as we had no update and didn’t know if we should start progesterone. We ended up having to call the doctor on call after hours, who had to find our file and then share with us the good news that we had embryos fertilized and to start progesterone.
Danvers

He [Dr. Rein] immediately made me feel comfortable and was very compassionate. He was honest with me about everything but didn’t make me feel bad about anything. He’s always very good at explaining everything and takes the time to answer any and all questions i May have...The wait to see him for a consultation is worth it! You will love him!...was watched very carefully to avoid OHSS. I had 6 ultrasounds in 8 days. I triggered with HcG and retrieved 20 eggs.
staff [at Massachusetts General Hospital] were always on top of everything. The team of doctors and nurses were always available for questions and always kept you updated right away on plans and treatments...nurse Johanne was able to move my husbands urology and endocrinology appointments up for us because she know how important time was for infertility treatments
How was your experience with Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He immediately made me feel comfortable and was very compassionate. He was honest with me about everything but didn’t make me feel bad about anything. He’s always very good at explaining everything and takes the time to answer any and all questions i May have.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
The wait to see him for a consultation is worth it! You will love him!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I felt like Dr. Rein and his staff were always on top of everything. The team of doctors and nurses were always available for questions and always kept you updated right away on plans and treatments. His nurse Johanne was able to move my husbands urology and endocrinology appointments up for us because she know how important time was for infertility treatments
Describe the protocols Mitchell Rein used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
We did one IVF with icsi cycle so far. It included: birth control for 3 weeks, lupron 10u to prevent ovulation and then dropped to 5u after a week. Started menopur 75u and gonalf 150u for stimulation. I stimmed for 8 days total and was watched very carefully to avoid OHSS. I had 6 ultrasounds in 8 days. I triggered with HcG and retrieved 20 eggs. 19 of which were mature. 15 were fertilized and we ended up with 4 embryos
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Johanne Day )
Johanne was always on top of everything! She communicated with me and made sure i understood everything. She was always available to answer any questions i had (even if some where probably ridiculous)
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Super friendly and personable staff. Everyone makes you feel super comfortable even when you’re being poked and prodded. Early ultrasound and blood work hours (6:45am is the earliest). Very lean facility. Quick results uploaded to the patient online portal. Always on time with appointments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Not much besides copays
Describe Mitchell Rein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Dr. Rein only transfers 1 embryo unless you’re over the age of 35.
Danvers
I felt more than a human. I felt like a member of his family. [Dr. Rein] and his nurse were very attentive and responded to my patient portal messages very quickly... Dr Rein was even nice enough to contact me over the weekend on his person cell phone to check up on me. He comes highly recommended and I would be gladly to refer him to anyone!... He is very attentive and always answers any questions I have and is very patient. He is very compassionate and even goes above and beyond to check on your well being after a failed cycle or miscarriage.
Johanne is Dr. reins nurse [at Massachusetts General Hospital]. She’s amazing. Very attentive, prompt and organized...I would go in at 6:45 am every few days and I would be out at least by 7:05 which worked great with my work schedule!...My RE will not transfer multiple embryos until I have had two miscarriages per MGH protocol...Him and his nurse were very attentive and responded to my patient portal messages very quickly.
How was your experience with Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Dr Rein. I have nothing but good experiences at the clinic. He is very attentive and always answers any questions I have and is very patient. He is very compassionate and even goes above and beyond to check on your well being after a failed cycle or miscarriage.
He is the best doctor to see for your fertility issues. He is everything you would need and want in a fertility doctor.
I felt more than a human. I felt like a member of his family. Him and his nurse were very attentive and responded to my patient portal messages very quickly. They are very prompt. Dr Rein was even nice enough to contact me over the weekend on his person cell phone to check up on me. He comes highly recommended and I would be gladly to refer him to anyone!
First cycle he went with the traditional cycle for my egg retrieval and transfer. I ended up having a failed cycle. My second cycle was the same but resulted in a miscarriage. The only thing that could have been done a little different on my second cycle was to make sure my lining was optimal. But, he made the call and it worked. But ended in early miscarriage. For cycle number three which I’ll be starting in Novemeber of 2018 is to make sure my uterine lining is at its best.
Johanne is Dr. reins nurse. She’s amazing. Very attentive, prompt and organized
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Well, if Johanne isn’t in the office I feel like the office doesn’t run as smoothly. And maybe they don’t communicate as well as they should. They may want to work a little bit better at that. Rather than that, everyone and everything is great!
Very quick! I would go in at 6:45 am every few days and I would be out at least by 7:05 which worked great with my work schedule!
I only had a deductible with my insurance

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr. Rein took the time to answer all of my questions; when I'd meet with his nurse, he'd brief her on what was discussed as well, so we were all on the same page... Dr. Rein has always acknowledged the hardships of infertility. He has also provided me with statistics, examples, and conversation around anything that's come up. Additionally, after our failed IVF cycle, his nurse sent our information to his social worker, who called to check-in and check-up with us to see how we were handling things.
One thing that we really like about MGH is that they convene a panel discussion before every protocol is released to the patient. I believe the panel has eight REs on it and we like that more eyes are able to offer opinions on what might be best for us. The downside of this is that the REs take weeks where they do retrievals/transfers, so I didn't have my RE do either of mine... Communication is a strength, as we never wondered what might/might not be happening that day.
How was your experience with Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Rein met with me after my husband and I decided to change to a new clinic. We talked about the history, concerns, and he answered any and all questions I had. My husband and I had a follow-up appointment with him after all of the preliminary testing; he gave us statistics, his professional opinion/recommendation, and then the decision was ours to make. We left knowing what to expect both in terms of the procedures and with the risks associated/potential outcomes. We didn't meet with him during the IVF cycle (another doctor did both my retrieval and transfer, which is common at our clinic); but they scheduled an appointment me with us just after the negative beta came in. There, he discussed with me what happened and the next plan to help us bring a baby into our family.
His personality can seem dry and stand-offish; he does not strike me as a 'hand-holder', so if that's what you need then he will not be a good fit. Personally, we really like him because he delivers information in a very straightforward manner, but it's not for everyone.
Dr. Rein took the time to answer all of my questions; when I'd meet with his nurse, he'd brief her on what was discussed as well, so we were all on the same page. He also didn't try to make light of our situation; infertility is frustrating, anger-inducing, emotional, and a number of other feelings; our first RE used try to make jokes, which always made me feel like my feelings weren't legitimate. Dr. Rein has always acknowledged the hardships of infertility. He has also provided me with statistics, examples, and conversation around anything that's come up. Additionally, after our failed IVF cycle, his nurse sent our information to his social worker, who called to check-in and check-up with us to see how we were handling things.
I started with 3 weeks of birth control; then Lupron injections for 20 days/Gonal F & Menopur for 11. Then I had my trigger and retrieval. He told us originally that most embryos do not make it to day 5 and to expect a 3-day transfer, but ours did make it to day 5. He was clear that due to my age and the unexplianed infertility diagnosis, that he would not put more than one embryo back, so one was transfered. Beta testing was 13 days later. Everything mostly went as planned, except that they had to increase the dosage for the GonalF/Menopur (doubled both, we think) because I wasn't responding quickly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Joanne & Anita)
My husband and I both liked the nurses with whom we worked. They were really great about delivering information to us each afternoon after bloodwork/US and were willing and able to answer all of our questions stemming from those calls and any others we placed. We never felt like we were inconveniencing them or that our questions were being brushed off. When our cycle failed, one of the nurses made sure the social worker reached out to check-in/up on us, which we thought showed a commitment to full-circle care. Both nurses aren't particularly chatty or 'warm' but they were honest and straightforward with answers. We like them a lot and trust them completely.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
We go to MGH in the Danvers office after doing some initial testing at BostonIVF. One thing that we really like about MGH is that they convene a panel discussion before every protocol is released to the patient. I believe the panel has eight REs on it and we like that more eyes are able to offer opinions on what might be best for us. The downside of this is that the REs take weeks where they do retrievals/transfers, so I didn't have my RE do either of mine. The good thing with this is that the doctor who did my actual transfer is the same doctor who did my mock transfer; and the doctor who did my retrieval is the same one who did my last ultrasound beforehand, so I was already familiar with them before the procedures. MGH does all of their bloodwork and ultrasound monitoring in the early mornings before work, which was helpful; and they deliver the results via the portal once they've been released as well as through a phonecall by the nurse the same afternoon. Communication is a strength, as we never wondered what might/might not be happening that day. While we were able to do all of our monitoring at a satellite location, both the retrieval and transfer were done at the hospital in Boston. The staff there, as well, were pleasant.
The IVF fresh cycle (without meds) was about $10k; the frozen transfer was $3000+. Meds for my first cycle were $3600 (insurance covered about $1600); meds for the frozen transfer are TBD.

2015, Unknown Success
I really liked Dr. Sabatini. She could be brusque, as she was seeing a lot of people, so at times I felt like our conversations were hurried, and I would be out the door and into the nurse's office before I knew what had hit me. I went to her largely for a diagnosis after 2 1/2 years of not getting pregnant on my own. I have out of state insurance, however, so for actual treatment I will have to see someone else. But I thought Dr. Sabatini was brilliant, friendly, nonjudgmental, was easily reachable by email, and had great ideas for how to proceed. I'm sorry not to be working with her the whole way through...I wound up just seeing her for diagnosis, and she diagnosed me as unexplained. I wasn't ready for IVF, and so she suggested we first stimulate my ovulation and time intercourse, seeing how that went before moving on to something more advanced. At every stage she was respectful of my wanting a conservative, noninvasive approach, and honest with me about the odds of success. I did not do stimulation with her in the end, instead opting to try to conceive naturally for a little while longer (I was unsuccessful)...
Do your homework ahead of time so that you can ask questions and really retain the answers. In retrospect I wish I had made my partner come along to most of the appointments with me, so that there were two of us listening to what she told us and not just me...
Truthfully, I kind of wish Dr. Sabatini would be my friend. She's smart, funny, and was respectful about my feelings of ambivalence, worry, hesitation about invasive procedures, and other wimpishness on my part. I saw her at every visit. I underwent a few different diagnostic procedures, including imaging in which Dr. Sabatini pronounced my ovaries and uterus "beautiful," which I thought was hilarious. She diagnosed me in the end with unexplained in fertility and a not serious fibroid, and her suggestion was that we stimulate me and rather than try IUI that we have timed intercourse at home, very respectful of my desire to be as minimally interfered with as possible. If I lived full time in Massachusetts, and MGH Danvers were in-network for my insurance, I absolutely would have continued seeing her.
Overall I spent about $3K out of pocket for all the testing and diagnostic work. I forget how much insurance paid, but it wasn't much, as the clinic was out of network.
Danvers
He [Dr. Aaron Styer] made special arrangements to do both of my retrievals and made me feel like I was his only patient and paid special attention to me. He checked in several times and made me feel very well cared for . I must say that as a physician, I am very critical by nature. And I felt that every aspect of his care was thoughtful and compassionate...Since I had diminished ovarian reserve, Dr. Styer utilized a estrogen patch protocol with a total of 450 units of Gonal F and Menopur and then an antagonist. Second cycle was same does of meds but a microdose Flare. Very similar high response which a pleasant surpise given my ovarian reserve
He [Dr. Aaron Styer] made special arrangements to do both of my retrievals and made me feel like I was his only patient and paid special attention to me. He checked in several times and made me feel very well cared for . I must say that as a physician, I am very critical by nature. And I felt that every aspect of his care was thoughtful and compassionate...Excellent communication on all fronts by nurses [at MGH] . Great team!
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He made special arrangements to do both of my retrievals and made me feel like I was his only patient and paid special attention to me. He checked in several times and made me feel very well cared for . I must say that as a physician, I am very critical by nature. And I felt that every aspect of his care was thoughtful and compassionate.
He is a great doctor and really takes his time to listen to what you have to say.
Dr. Styer was great about really explaining all details with me about eggs freezing. I am a physician and single woman. He was so patient with explaining the technical aspects of eggs freezing and helping me to understand what would be the best protocols based upon my ovarian reserve.
Excellent communication on all fronts by nurses. Great team!
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Very smooth operation. No glitches at all. Very polite front staff!
It was very quick and efficient. No issues at all
I paid about 12000 for 2 cycles and about 3000 dollars for the meds
Not applicable. I was doing egg freezing. Although, when I looked up his publications. I saw that Dr. Styer had published several interesting articles for eSET and he is known for this nationally.