Selling medication is not offered

Waltham
52 Second Ave
Waltham, MA 02451
617-726-8868

Dr Souter was always very upfront and positive with us. We had had lots of frustration before (a failed pregnancy and multiple failed IUIs, one failed IVF) and were grateful to start anew with her...We had been utilizing Dr Styer and I moved to Dr Souter. Personality wise, I just cliqued with Irene better. My husband liked both. After multiple failed IUIs, I just needed to change something up and moving clinics felt like a huge undertaking. Irene was like a breath of fresh air I needed.
MGH had recommendations on how many to use [Eset] given how many times we had tried and my age. We elected for one both times...I often had to inquire if they had forgotten me because they were running so late...You do not see the same nurse, although all were compassionate...I felt getting responses back from nurses before they closed was always a huge undertaking. And oftentimes, you need the medication called in before a certain time. The experience was very stressful for me. It seemed that they were understaffed.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Stay positive!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the protocols Irene Souter used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
I don't remember exactly but this was our final IVF shot before I moved clinics. The retrieval went well this time and I knew that the transfer was good, the doctor who did it exclaimed it went really well and felt it had a great chance. This positivity helped me as well thinking things went well.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Massachusetts General Hospital.
You do not see the same nurse, although all were compassionate. Often MGH is running late and getting there with traffic and work is a stressful experience.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Traffic, parking, and tardiness were a constant with MGH for me. At the time we were living in Brookline so not too far away but I came to despise going to the hospital in the mornings. The earlier appointment the better as less people have been given the chance to be late and push back appointments. I always felt that the person working behind the desk (there was some turnover) was not always the friendliest and sometimes not organized. I often had to inquire if they had forgotten me because they were running so late.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Our insurance didn't cover any treatments.
Describe Irene Souter's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
MGH had recommendations on how many to use given how many times we had tried and my age. We elected for one both times.
Boston
She [Dr. Souter] is extremely knowledgeable and friendly and takes her time with you answering all questions. However she ups your anxiety about when I got a positive for a possible genetic issue that was not big deal when I went to genetic counseling. She was also pretty pessimistic about my 15% of getting pregnant...Dr answered all my questions and took ample time, she was friendly...I just didn't have a partner.
You get more personalized care because it's small [MGH - Boston]. The doctors are extremely knowledgeable. They don't do more extreme procedures....[nurses] They responded quickly to calls but did not provide a video to teach you how to inject meds. I had to watch YouTube videos to learn...When I complained about error was rudely told I should not come here if I was not prepared to pay all out of pocket.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
She is extremely knowledgeable and friendly and takes her time with you answering all questions. However she ups your anxiety about when I got a positive for a possible genetic issue that was not big deal when I went to genetic counseling. She was also pretty pessimistic about my 15% of getting pregnant. Statistics include both when with issues and women who are just older. Many women in my family got pregnant naturally in their 40's. I just didn't have a partner. I was not surprised when I got pregnant on the first ivf try.
Go to her because she is good but know that she can make you a bit anxious and is overly cautious to not get your hopes up.
The clinic is small, the nurses call you back quickly, Dr answered all my questions and took ample time, she was friendly.
Standard ivf - patches, suppositories, and PIO injections.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
You get more personalized care because it's small. The doctors are extremely knowledgeable. They don't do more extreme procedures like other places but I think that's a good thing because the priority is to keep you healthy.
$10000
She said to transfer two embryos to give me a chance.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I specifically asked how much treatment would cost and was told insurance would cover it all so I started treatment and mid treatment told me they made a mistake and insurance would only cover most of meds but not transfer and other procedures so I had to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket. When I complained about error was rudely told I should not come here if I was not prepared to pay all out of pocket.
Boston
He [Dr. Aaron Styer] made special arrangements to do both of my retrievals and made me feel like I was his only patient and paid special attention to me. He checked in several times and made me feel very well cared for . I must say that as a physician, I am very critical by nature. And I felt that every aspect of his care was thoughtful and compassionate...Since I had diminished ovarian reserve, Dr. Styer utilized a estrogen patch protocol with a total of 450 units of Gonal F and Menopur and then an antagonist. Second cycle was same does of meds but a microdose Flare. Very similar high response which a pleasant surpise given my ovarian reserve
He [Dr. Aaron Styer] made special arrangements to do both of my retrievals and made me feel like I was his only patient and paid special attention to me. He checked in several times and made me feel very well cared for . I must say that as a physician, I am very critical by nature. And I felt that every aspect of his care was thoughtful and compassionate...Excellent communication on all fronts by nurses [at MGH] . Great team!
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He made special arrangements to do both of my retrievals and made me feel like I was his only patient and paid special attention to me. He checked in several times and made me feel very well cared for . I must say that as a physician, I am very critical by nature. And I felt that every aspect of his care was thoughtful and compassionate.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He is a great doctor and really takes his time to listen to what you have to say.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Styer was great about really explaining all details with me about eggs freezing. I am a physician and single woman. He was so patient with explaining the technical aspects of eggs freezing and helping me to understand what would be the best protocols based upon my ovarian reserve.
Describe the protocols Aaron K. Styer used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
Excellent communication on all fronts by nurses. Great team!
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Very smooth operation. No glitches at all. Very polite front staff!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Massachusetts General Hospital.
It was very quick and efficient. No issues at all
Describe the costs associated with your care under Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I paid about 12000 for 2 cycles and about 3000 dollars for the meds
Describe Aaron K. Styer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Not applicable. I was doing egg freezing. Although, when I looked up his publications. I saw that Dr. Styer had published several interesting articles for eSET and he is known for this nationally.
Danvers
I am also a physician, but fertility is not my specialty. Dr. Styer [at MGH[ explained my diagnosis and treatment plan in both simple and complex terms. He was very down to earth and caring and was very sensitive about telling me I had a reduced number of eggs. He was very confident in my success given my age and he was right. He recommended going right to IVF although I am single. I am now 10 wks pregnant with twins!!! Very happy an
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr Styer and his nurse Cheryl were superb and always attentive to my questions and needs. I am completely satisfied!!! They were really good good about about holding my hand throughout the entire process and kept me positive even when I learned that I had a lower number of eggs.
No advice needed. The experience was great. He and his team gave me the best care!
I am also a physician, but fertility is not my specialty. Dr. Styer explained my diagnosis and treatment plan in both simple and complex terms. He was very down to earth and caring and was very sensitive about telling me I had a reduced number of eggs. He was very confident in my success given my age and he was right. He recommended going right to IVF although I am single. I am now 10 wks pregnant with twins!!! Very happy and satisfied with Dr, Styer's professional approach, expertise and sensitive approach to walking me through this difficult process.
I dont remember all of the shots. But I used Gonal G and Menopur and did Lupron with Flare protocol
Very organized and sensitive to my questions and concerns
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
It was one stop shopping with blood draws, ultrasounds and egg retrieval in one space
Boston
Dr.Styer really reviewed every piece of my history and made sure he had every part of my medical history. He really knew me as a patient. He went on to ask me about my professional life and genuinely cared about who I am as a person....I though being a fertility patient was going top be scary and hard. Dr. Styer and his nurse Cheryl really helped me find my way and take control of the process...He is great at answering questions and making you feel empowered to take control of your fertility.
The clinic [MGH - Danvers] downtown was well run and everyone was very kind...It was the most enjoyable experience I have had as a patient. I though being a fertility patient was going top be scary and hard. Dr. Styer and his nurse Cheryl really helped me find my way and take control of the process...They [nurses] always knew my name and who I was an got me through the process with flying colors.!...We then did PGS to test my embryos...
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
We used birth control pills for 2 weeks, then Gonal G, Menopur, antagonist, and upron trigger. We then did PGS to test my embryos. We could then transfer the single best normal embryos and it worked!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl and Toni)
They always knew my name and who I was an got me through the process with flying colors.!
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic downtown was well run and everyone was very kind
It was covered by insurance
He really emphasized the need to transfer one embryo to reduce my risk for twins. He really educated me on elective single embryo transfer
2017, 18 Eggs Frozen
He [Dr. Aaron Styer] was very patient with me!...I am a business professional and I am single and have watched all of my girlfriends get pregnant. I was quite anxious about what Dr. Styer was going to tell me about my eggs. From the first minute of the consult with him, he was so good to reassure me that I did was not obliged to do anything. He really laid out all of the options for fertility preservation and really helped me understand what the real pros and cons of egg freezing were.
[The nurses at Massachusetts General Hospital] They were all so god about walking me through every step of the process and really helped me when I felt really overwhelmed...Very well run clinic and answered all of my questions. Very easy for patients to communicate with the clinic. The staff were also incredible. They were very friendly when we came in for our visits. There were no weaknesses.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He was just so down to earth and did everything he could to answer my questions...no matter how anxious or emotional I got. He really made me feel like I was his only patient. It was the best experience I have had with any of my doctors!
I would suggest that any patient be as ope and honest with him. He is very responsive.
I am a business professional and I am single and have watched all of my girlfriends get pregnant. I was quite anxious about what Dr. Styer was going to tell me about my eggs. From the first minute of the consult with him, he was so good to reassure me that I did was not obliged to do anything. He really laid out all of the options for fertility preservation and really helped me understand what the real pros and cons of egg freezing were. He was very patient with me!
Birth control pills, Cetrotide, Gonal F and Menopur
Not appicable. I froze eggs
Danvers
He simply made the whole process very manageable for me and really encouraged me to ask questions and be a real participant in my care. He really felt as though I was empowered to succeed and to take control of my infertility... Dr. Styer really tried to see me for all of my ultrasounds and procedures and really personalized everything for me. I even saw him out in public and he remembered everything about me. Very impressive!
The clinic [Massachusetts General Hospital] was very efficient and Dr. Styer's team really worked to get me to treatment as quickly as possible... Cheryl [a nurse] was always so comforting and really answered all of my questions.... Birth control pills, Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide and then a Lupron trigger. We transfrerred 2 blastocysts due to my age.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He really listens to what you have to say. I feel like some doctors provide lip service. He took my concerns and questions seriously.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl)
Cheryl was always so comforting and really answered all of my questions.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic was very efficient and Dr. Styer's team really worked to get me to treatment as quickly as possible
all covered inusrance
Yes, he reviewed it in depth. But did not advise since I am almost 40 and were not not doing PGS
Danvers
Dr. Styer really listened to the emotional side of things. He held my hand and walked me through the process and offered a lot of great support and encouragement...Dr Styer has an excellent bedside manner. He was very knowledgeable and progressive, takes the time to listen to issues and go through your care. Too bad all my doctors aren't at his level. He gave us top notch care!..Clomid and gonal F with IUI
Great systems in place [at MGH - Danvers]. They really accommodate your needs...His [Dr. Styer's] nurse Cherly was great!...Dr Styer has an excellent bedside manner. He was very knowledgeable and progressive, takes the time to listen to issues and go through your care. Too bad all my doctors aren't at his level. He gave us top notch care!...Dr. Styer really listened to the emotional side of things. He held my hand and walked me through the process and offered a lot of great support and encouragement.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He really listens to what you have to say. You can ask him any question..no matter how big or small
Clomid and gonal F with IUI
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital.
His nurse Cherly was great!
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Great systems in place. They really accommodate your needs
Covered by insurance
He really treated us to reduce our risk for twins

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr. Rein took the time to answer all of my questions; when I'd meet with his nurse, he'd brief her on what was discussed as well, so we were all on the same page... Dr. Rein has always acknowledged the hardships of infertility. He has also provided me with statistics, examples, and conversation around anything that's come up. Additionally, after our failed IVF cycle, his nurse sent our information to his social worker, who called to check-in and check-up with us to see how we were handling things.
One thing that we really like about MGH is that they convene a panel discussion before every protocol is released to the patient. I believe the panel has eight REs on it and we like that more eyes are able to offer opinions on what might be best for us. The downside of this is that the REs take weeks where they do retrievals/transfers, so I didn't have my RE do either of mine... Communication is a strength, as we never wondered what might/might not be happening that day.
How was your experience with Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Rein met with me after my husband and I decided to change to a new clinic. We talked about the history, concerns, and he answered any and all questions I had. My husband and I had a follow-up appointment with him after all of the preliminary testing; he gave us statistics, his professional opinion/recommendation, and then the decision was ours to make. We left knowing what to expect both in terms of the procedures and with the risks associated/potential outcomes. We didn't meet with him during the IVF cycle (another doctor did both my retrieval and transfer, which is common at our clinic); but they scheduled an appointment me with us just after the negative beta came in. There, he discussed with me what happened and the next plan to help us bring a baby into our family.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
His personality can seem dry and stand-offish; he does not strike me as a 'hand-holder', so if that's what you need then he will not be a good fit. Personally, we really like him because he delivers information in a very straightforward manner, but it's not for everyone.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Rein took the time to answer all of my questions; when I'd meet with his nurse, he'd brief her on what was discussed as well, so we were all on the same page. He also didn't try to make light of our situation; infertility is frustrating, anger-inducing, emotional, and a number of other feelings; our first RE used try to make jokes, which always made me feel like my feelings weren't legitimate. Dr. Rein has always acknowledged the hardships of infertility. He has also provided me with statistics, examples, and conversation around anything that's come up. Additionally, after our failed IVF cycle, his nurse sent our information to his social worker, who called to check-in and check-up with us to see how we were handling things.
Describe the protocols Mitchell Rein used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
I started with 3 weeks of birth control; then Lupron injections for 20 days/Gonal F & Menopur for 11. Then I had my trigger and retrieval. He told us originally that most embryos do not make it to day 5 and to expect a 3-day transfer, but ours did make it to day 5. He was clear that due to my age and the unexplianed infertility diagnosis, that he would not put more than one embryo back, so one was transfered. Beta testing was 13 days later. Everything mostly went as planned, except that they had to increase the dosage for the GonalF/Menopur (doubled both, we think) because I wasn't responding quickly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Joanne & Anita)
My husband and I both liked the nurses with whom we worked. They were really great about delivering information to us each afternoon after bloodwork/US and were willing and able to answer all of our questions stemming from those calls and any others we placed. We never felt like we were inconveniencing them or that our questions were being brushed off. When our cycle failed, one of the nurses made sure the social worker reached out to check-in/up on us, which we thought showed a commitment to full-circle care. Both nurses aren't particularly chatty or 'warm' but they were honest and straightforward with answers. We like them a lot and trust them completely.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
We go to MGH in the Danvers office after doing some initial testing at BostonIVF. One thing that we really like about MGH is that they convene a panel discussion before every protocol is released to the patient. I believe the panel has eight REs on it and we like that more eyes are able to offer opinions on what might be best for us. The downside of this is that the REs take weeks where they do retrievals/transfers, so I didn't have my RE do either of mine. The good thing with this is that the doctor who did my actual transfer is the same doctor who did my mock transfer; and the doctor who did my retrieval is the same one who did my last ultrasound beforehand, so I was already familiar with them before the procedures. MGH does all of their bloodwork and ultrasound monitoring in the early mornings before work, which was helpful; and they deliver the results via the portal once they've been released as well as through a phonecall by the nurse the same afternoon. Communication is a strength, as we never wondered what might/might not be happening that day. While we were able to do all of our monitoring at a satellite location, both the retrieval and transfer were done at the hospital in Boston. The staff there, as well, were pleasant.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mitchell Rein at Massachusetts General Hospital.
The IVF fresh cycle (without meds) was about $10k; the frozen transfer was $3000+. Meds for my first cycle were $3600 (insurance covered about $1600); meds for the frozen transfer are TBD.
Mitchell Rein

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Petrozza] explained our issues in detail, explained the risks, and really understood our goals. But as soon as the process started he fell off the radar. I never saw him for any of my check in ultrasounds, he didn't do my retrieval, and then sat on genetic test results for two weeks. I felt like we got sold a personable bill of goods and then was just another number in the pile...
If I called [MGH - Boston] I had to leave a message for her and she would call me back. It was frustrating because the entire process was never really explained to us, we dealt with insurance issues which never got resolved and everything frustrated me. I'm a fairly smart human being and they made me feel stupid for asking questions. When I said I wanted a class on injections they told me to keep watching the videos until I got it.
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
As the head of the clinic I thought he was fabulous and he was also great to us in the beginning of our process. He explained our issues in detail, explained the risks, and really understood our goals. But as soon as the process started he fell off the radar. I never saw him for any of my check in ultrasounds, he didn't do my retrieval, and then sat on genetic test results for two weeks. I felt like we got sold a personable bill of goods and then was just another number in the pile.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Be aware that you won't see him during the process and that you'll be dealing with his assistant and other Dr's throughout.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I barely saw my Dr during the process, which I guess is not unusual when there are several Dr's in a practice and they rotate days. The one issue I had with him is that he sat on my genetic testing results for 2 weeks before giving them to me. It was the longest two weeks of my life. And then zero empathy when he relayed that no embryos were viable and all had genetic issues.
Describe the protocols John Petrozza used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
ivf with ICSI. I'm sorry I don't remember the details
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Carol H. )
My main point of contact was Carol. If I called I had to leave a message for her and she would call me back. It was frustrating because the entire process was never really explained to us, we dealt with insurance issues which never got resolved and everything frustrated me. I'm a fairly smart human being and they made me feel stupid for asking questions. When I said I wanted a class on injections they told me to keep watching the videos until I got it.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
They get you in, the process is set up but you're a number and it's a business to them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital.
10000+ with genetic testing
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Delay in relaying protocol, I had asked for an overview as a first time IVF patient and was basically told that I needed to wait until they were ready to talk to me. Dr failed to relay genetic test results in a prompt manner. Insurance coverage was misleading as was payment options. Unclear communication as to when to start the pill at the beginning of my cycle which took 3 phone calls to straighten out.
Boston

My IVF cycle was cancelled. I suggested perhaps I just can't tolerate high levels of gonadotropins but Dr P [Dr. Petrozza] insisted this is "impossible" and said my next cycle should be flare not antagonist with again 450 Gonal F. I got no sense that he wanted to figure out what went wrong...he has a very bad bedside manner. Delivers things like "IVF just might not work for you" with absolutely no sympathy ...
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
As stated earlier, he has a very blunt bedside manner. Generally, I want a competent not nice doctor. I'm not sure he is either, at least if you have DOR. Zero sympathy, zero optimism (even when docs at other clinics were like "I don't even know that you have DOR") .... also, after that first appointment, he disappears
Go with him if you have a straightforward case and not DOR.... do not expect him to have a "hmmm how interesting let's see why this odd response happened" approach
I think MGH is very poor for treating diminished ovarian reserve. I had a very strange situation happen, which is that I responded well to clomid and low doses of Gonal F (eg 75 and 112), like getting 3 eggs, but at high doses (eg 450)--which is what they insisted i needed for IVF--my body shut down and I had 0 follicles grow. My IVF cycle was cancelled. I suggested perhaps I just can't tolerate high levels of gonadotropins but Dr P insisted this is "impossible" and said my next cycle should be flare not antagonist with again 450 Gonal F. I got no sense that he wanted to figure out what went wrong. i was clearly a number. and btw, he has a very bad bedside manner. Delivers things like "IVF just might not work for you" with absolutely no sympathy ... bear in mind my AMH is over 2, I naturally conceived a child 2 years ago, etc. Again, no desire to problem solve. they want you in and out. If you are an easy/textbook case, that's fine. But if you are a puzzling case, I see no indication you're going to get attention at MGH.
antagonist protocol IVF with no suppression
often running late
insurance co=pays only
Boston
She [Dr Lippincott] is conservative--I consider this a good thing in her approach, but it may be something that some people are concerned about. Personally, I felt very comfortable with her--she was not cavalier about risks to either my health or that of my potential children. I'm in the medical field, and have seen severe side effects of fertility treatment, as well as bad outcomes in premature multiples--because of all of this, I felt much more comfortable with someone who tends towards the conservative end. It's also possible that I did not see the full range of what she would be willing to do, as my fertility issues were (thankfully!) resolved with treatments that were on the simpler end.
I honestly felt very comfortable with the clinic. Initial wait times were long, but I called back and lucked into a cancellation within 2 weeks. Dr Lippincott and Judy Adams were both very available and I felt very much that I was in good hands. Only limitation--and thankfully I did not have to deal with this much--the MGH lab is incredibly slow, and I have sat for more than an hour's wait to get blood drawn. Thankfully they very rarely asked bloodwork except right at the beginning of my workup and at the end, when confirming pregnancy.
How was your experience with Margaret Lippincott at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr Lippencott was always thorough and detail-oriented, but warm. I always felt like she wanted me to understand all of the possibilities and pros/cons of our decisions, but it really felt like I was a partner in the decision making. She was very accessible (although of course I tried not to abuse this!) and answered any questions fully. I never felt rushed by her. I worked more directly with the ultrasound technologist, but Dr Lippencott would always be available for consultation regarding the plan.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Margaret Lippincott at Massachusetts General Hospital?
She is conservative--I consider this a good thing in her approach, but it may be something that some people are concerned about. Personally, I felt very comfortable with her--she was not cavalier about risks to either my health or that of my potential children. I'm in the medical field, and have seen severe side effects of fertility treatment, as well as bad outcomes in premature multiples--because of all of this, I felt much more comfortable with someone who tends towards the conservative end. It's also possible that I did not see the full range of what she would be willing to do, as my fertility issues were (thankfully!) resolved with treatments that were on the simpler end.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Margaret Lippincott at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr Lippincott was always thorough and detail-oriented, but warm. I always felt like she wanted me to understand all of the possibilities and pros/cons of our decisions, but it really felt like I was a partner in the decision making. She was very accessible (although of course I tried not to abuse this!) and answered any questions fully. I never felt rushed by her.
Describe the protocols Margaret Lippincott used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
I had previously done 3 cycles of unmonitored Clomid (1 cycle on 50mg and 2 on 100mg), and only ovulated on the last cycle (2 follicles). Dr Lippincott diagnosed me with PCOS based on my US and confirmed that I probably had not ovulated in the prior year (I had been using urine ovulation tests without ever getting a positive line, until the last cycle of Clomid). With Dr Lippincott, she had me come in for ultrasounds on day 3 (confirm ovulation and how many follicles ovulated) and day 12-13 (confirm if a dominant follicle present). Based on the size of the dominant follicle, I would either come back in on day 16-17 (if it was not large enough to be able to confirm what day it would be mature), or they would estimate the date of follicle maturity from the day 12-13 scan. I would then administer HCG and do timed intercourse. I did this for two cycles. On my 3rd cycle with Dr Lippincott, we decided to add on an IUI; again, I did US on day 3 and day 12-13; because my follicle was still too small, we repeated an US on day 16, did HCG injection on day 16, then did an IUI on day 18. Thankfully this was enough for us!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Judy Adams (actually the ultrasonographer, who was usually my point person if not Dr Lippincott))
I did not actually work with any nursing staff. My primary point person was Judy Adams, the ultrasonographer, who was great--warm and very responsive, and also very good.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Margaret Lippincott at Massachusetts General Hospital.
We were lucky- covered by insurance. We have a high-deductible plan; after the discount from the insurance, we paid ~$200 per US (so $400 per cycle) plus $500 for the IUI. (With the high-deductible plan, until we meet our out of pocket, we expect to pay $150-$200 per doctor's appointment--so don't take this as the amount you would pay if you had a more conventional plan.) Clomid is pretty cheap.
Margaret Lippincott
Boston

Dr Styer was compassionate and a nice doctor. He didn't try any alternative protocols like they did at Boston IVF where I retrieved 8 times the number of eggs. I liked Dr Styer personally but he didn't spend the time to try other protocols...Cheryl was wonderful and compassionate. I loved her. The other nurse was more gruff and not helpful in terms of explaining injections or any part of the process. I can't remember her name but I was less than happy when I would see her at visits
I would go to MGH is you are young and have unexplained fertility. If you are over 37 I would go to Boston IVF or the Sher fertility clinic in NYC. MGH seems less motivated to treat older women creatively compared to other clinics...Cheryl was wonderful and compassionate. I loved her. The other nurse was more gruff and not helpful in terms of explaining injections or any part of the process. I can't remember her name but I was less than happy when I would see her at visits
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
To try to investigate other options before suggesting donor eggs automatically
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: cheryl)
About $15,000.00 out of pocket
I wish they had explained options to me such as embryo freezing a year before my treatment when I first visited for information that would have been a decision I would have made earlier or even that financing was available given I was paying out of pocket and it took me a year to save the 12K
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic didn't explain any other options beyond fresh transfer. They weren't willing to try other protocols or get to the route of my hormone imbalance like Boston IVF did

2014 - 2015, Successful
[Dr. Sabatini] was readily available, despite her busy schedule...during my second ectopic we decided to go right to surgery...she really wanted to be the one with me in surgery...that evening Dr. Sabatini was there. After working all day in Danvers, she made it into Boston that evening to help with the surgery...She reminded me of the complications that can arise with a multiple pregnancy...we transferred both and I was lucky that both implanted, but I lost one around 7 weeks. The other is now going to be 4 in June
The nursing staff [at Massachusetts General Hospital] was amazing...There were 2 nurses I dealt with that always returned my calls and called with test results when they said they would...The office was always clean, appointments were always running on time, everyone in the office was friendly...My husband wasn't always able to come with me because of work, but I truly felt as though I had a friend with me when she was my tech...I was always able to get an early appointment
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I liked Dr. Sabatini instantly. From our first consult meeting my husband and I felt at ease and could see she was extremely knowledgeable in her area. She was constantly checking in and following up with us. She was readily available, despite her busy schedule. We went through a lot together. Dr. Sabatini offered support during my losses and throughout my one success. Even years after being her patient when I suffered yet another ectopic she responded to my email with compassion and support. My husband and I were debating trying again and we figured if Dr. Sabatini would still be working with us then we will. The one IVF cycle that brought me my son she was a major part of. Its rare for your doctor to complete both the retrieval and the transfer. I was fortunate enough to have Dr. Sabatini complete both and I believed all the positive energy and expertise helped bring my son into this world. For that I will always be grateful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Book as soon as possible, I've found this time around her availability is slim. Also, speak your mind, be open and honest. Don't be afraid to disagree with her. She will take your thoughts and opinions into account. On my 5th round of IVF we had 2 really good embryos ready to transfer. She felt confident transferring one and I told her I'd really rather go with two. And she asked me over and over if I was sure because of the complications that can happen in a multiple pregnancy. I felt strongly about 2, and she told me she was confident with one and freezing the other. I asked her for 2 because in the past I had only had 1 implant and lost it early in pregnancy even with 2 transferred. She told me it was my call and we went with 2. They both implanted, and I lost one of them early on. The other is now going to be 4 in June. When I went back to see her after I had been released from her care she told me she was glad I went with my gut and had 2 transferred. So don't be afraid to disagree or want something they may not.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Sabatini definitely made me feel like a human. I will always remember during my second ectopic we decided to go right to surgery. She was booked in the office all day, however, she told me she really wanted to be the one with me in surgery. Well, I went to MGH Boston after being seen in Danvers to wait for a room and surgery. Well, I was prepped for surgery and when I came out of surgery that evening Dr. Sabatini was there. After working all day in Danvers, she made it into Boston that evening to help with the surgery or be there when I woke up. I was shocked to see her and also so glad. That convinced I was in good hands.
Describe the protocols Mary Sabatini Morris used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
It's been about 5 years and my memory isn't very good. We used ICSI after the first round resulted in few eggs being fertilized. We also used assisted hatching. This time around during our consult and planning we discussed upping my dosage because I'm older and I had few eggs produced in my earlier cycles. This may also be our last go for IVF since I will have reached the last cycle covered by insurance. I'm not sure of the specifics.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
The nursing staff was amazing. They were on top of it all. There were 2 nurses I dealt with that always returned my calls and called with test results when they said they would. They were always available to answer questions and always made sure I felt comfortable and understood my test results. I never felt rushes through phone conversations or visits. They were kind and compassionate throughout my losses and celebrated my success as well. The entire staff at the Danvers office was amazing. The nurses I had for the retrievals and transfers were also some of the best. Truly there to help us feel comfortable and support us through such a difficult time and overwhelming experience.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The clinic was wonderful. Just walking through the door I felt welcomed. The office was always clean, appointments were always running on time, everyone in the office was friendly. This was for both Danvers and Boston. I will say there was one ultrasound tech who I always looked forward to seeing. She was the best and always made it less stressful. She was always smiling and happy to see you. My husband wasn't always able to come with me because of work, but I truly felt as though I had a friend with me when she was my tech. She was so empathetic when we realized the pregnancy ended early. She was compassionate when we realized another pregnancy was ectopic. I will say keeping the same staff though the years really helped me feel more comfortable and at ease. After had my son I wanted to go back just to show everyone what they had helped me bring into the world. I send them our Christmas cards each year, I've sent thank you cards to the staff and doctor after he was born. I was so grateful to have such a supportive community throughout the entire process which went on for about 2 years.
The schedule worked so well for me. I was teaching at the time and needed the earliest appointment so that I could still get to work on time. I was always able to get an early appointment. I think there was one time that I had actually waited a while- I don't remember what caused the wait but they were very apologetic. Also it wasn't common to wait to be taken in so I wasn't upset.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Sabatini Morris at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I was very fortunate to have my costs covered by my insurance. I was only responsible for Co pays.
Describe Mary Sabatini Morris's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
For each of my 3 cycles I had 2 embryos transferred. Dr. Sabatini only performed one of the transfers and she felt confident transferring 1. I really wanted both transfered. Due to my history of only one implanting and the many losses I suffered, I think she agreed. She reminded me of the complications that can arise with a multiple pregnancy and I still preferred both to be transferred. Well, we transferred both and I was lucky that both implanted, but I lost one around 7 weeks. The other is now going to be 4 in June.

2014 - 2015, Successful
She talked too fast, used lots of jargon, and because I had come to her from another clinic (for IUIs) I think she thought I knew more than I did about IVFs, which can be very different... Dr. Souter leans more towards pragmatic and blunt and could improve her bedside manner, but I have not doubted her decisions, protocols or care.
My care team was wonderful, even the receptionist remembered my name. They were always current on my case, got excited when news was good, and called to check on me when news was bad. I received hugs and tender touches when I needed them. My personal circumstances aside, almost every interaction I had with team members was extremely positive.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I will say, my first interaction with Dr. Souter was not ideal. She talked too fast, used lots of jargon, and because I had come to her from another clinic (for IUIs) I think she thought I knew more than I did about IVFs, which can be very different. Occasionally her accent was hard to understand. I am in healthcare and was a little lost. My husband was totally overwhelmed! My second meeting with her one-on-one went much more smoothly and she even turned her computer monitor to show me actual numbers and details, something I very much appreciated. Dr. Souter leans more towards pragmatic and blunt and could improve her bedside manner, but I have not doubted her decisions, protocols or care.
Do your homework. Learn about IVF terminology and the process. Bring a notebook to take notes and go prepared with questions since your time with her is limited. Also, do not be afraid to ask for further clarification if you don't understand something. She is very straightforward. If you are overly sensitive (not that I am not...because who isn't?) then maybe think about another doctor, though I don't know who would be best, maybe Dr. Sabatini. Call to ask the clinic.
Cycle #1: OCP/Low Dose Lupron. 21 days of Apri birth control. Lupron injection 10 units x 10 days. Lupron injection 5 units x 10 days. Gonal-f 150 IU and Menopur 150 IU injections x 10 days. HCG injection. Ampicillin, Cefoxitin, Methylprednisolone, baby aspirin (81mg), 50 mg IM injection Progesterone. Valium for transfer. Vivelle dots 2 patches every other day. Personally, I did not respond well to this protocol. I only had 5 eggs, 4 were mature, and only 1 fertilized normally. This was transferred and the cycle was not successful. Cycle #2: OCP/Antagonist. 21 days of Apri birth control. Gonal-f 300 IU and Menopur 150 IU injections x 11 days. Ganirelix Acetate pre-filled syringe 250 mcg x 6 days. HCG injection. Ampicillin, Cefoxitin, Methylprednisolone, baby aspirin (81mg), 50 mg IM injection Progesterone. Valium for transfer. Vivelle dots 2 patches every other day. I had a drastically improved response on this protocol . 18 eggs retrieved (even from my quiet ovary), 9 went on to ICSI, 7 fertilized normally, 4 made it to day 5. 1 was transferred and 3 were frozen. I became pregnant, but unfortunately it was ectopic and I had to have surgery to remove my tube. There is a slight increased risk of ectopics with IVF. Cycle #3: Cryopreserved Blastocyst Transfer. 21 days of Apri birth control. Lupron injection 10 units x 28 days. Vivelle dots varying patches every other day x 24+ days. Endometrin tabs 100mg. Ampicillin, Methylprednisolone, baby aspirin (81mg), 50 mg IM injection Progesterone. Valium for transfer. "Textbook cycle and transfer" with 1 frozen embryo, results TBD.
Their compassion and genuine interest in your success!

2014 - 2015, Successful
Dr Styer provided an exceptional experience for my husband and myself. He always took the time to explain the procedures, options and provide a recommendation. He was compassionate to the situation but not overly coddling...Take notes in your initial appt. he provides many options and details on what can be done. It is quite overwhelming in nature and in hindsight I should have taken notes vs remembering from memory.
MGH IVF was an all inclusive practice with everything from your appts, lab work, and surgery procedures happening right at Yawkey which made it extremely convenient....Dr Styers team is a pod you consistently seen by at your appts. Cheryl is the primary nurse and Amazing. She felt like my mom was with me at my appts. Extremely warm and attentive.
How was your experience with Aaron K. Styer at Massachusetts General Hospital?
As per my previous comment, Dr Styer provided an exceptional experience for my husband and myself. He always took the time to explain the procedures, options and provide a recommendation. He was compassionate to the situation but not overly coddling. I 100% would recommend him to anyone needing fertility treatments.
Dr Styer always took the time to explain or options, how and why treatments went the way they did and provided a recommendation on what he would do next if he was in our situation. We had seen a female dr in the practice initially and struggled with her overly coddling personality. We were recommended to Dr Styer for his bedside manner and direct personality and were exceptionally pleased.
I had two potential ectopic pregnancies before seeking fertility treatment. Dr styer started with a round of clomid, then two iuis with different drug doses and ultimately moved to Ivf.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl )
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
I was very fortunate to have insurance cover my entire procedure with the exception of my deductible.

2015, Unknown Success
I really liked Dr. Sabatini. She could be brusque, as she was seeing a lot of people, so at times I felt like our conversations were hurried, and I would be out the door and into the nurse's office before I knew what had hit me. I went to her largely for a diagnosis after 2 1/2 years of not getting pregnant on my own. I have out of state insurance, however, so for actual treatment I will have to see someone else. But I thought Dr. Sabatini was brilliant, friendly, nonjudgmental, was easily reachable by email, and had great ideas for how to proceed. I'm sorry not to be working with her the whole way through...I wound up just seeing her for diagnosis, and she diagnosed me as unexplained. I wasn't ready for IVF, and so she suggested we first stimulate my ovulation and time intercourse, seeing how that went before moving on to something more advanced. At every stage she was respectful of my wanting a conservative, noninvasive approach, and honest with me about the odds of success. I did not do stimulation with her in the end, instead opting to try to conceive naturally for a little while longer (I was unsuccessful)...
Do your homework ahead of time so that you can ask questions and really retain the answers. In retrospect I wish I had made my partner come along to most of the appointments with me, so that there were two of us listening to what she told us and not just me...
Truthfully, I kind of wish Dr. Sabatini would be my friend. She's smart, funny, and was respectful about my feelings of ambivalence, worry, hesitation about invasive procedures, and other wimpishness on my part. I saw her at every visit. I underwent a few different diagnostic procedures, including imaging in which Dr. Sabatini pronounced my ovaries and uterus "beautiful," which I thought was hilarious. She diagnosed me in the end with unexplained in fertility and a not serious fibroid, and her suggestion was that we stimulate me and rather than try IUI that we have timed intercourse at home, very respectful of my desire to be as minimally interfered with as possible. If I lived full time in Massachusetts, and MGH Danvers were in-network for my insurance, I absolutely would have continued seeing her.
Overall I spent about $3K out of pocket for all the testing and diagnostic work. I forget how much insurance paid, but it wasn't much, as the clinic was out of network.
2012 - 2015, Successful
I felt like a human because she [Dr. Sabatini] built such a nice relationship with my husband and I...She really took the time to understand what our goals were, What we were willing to go through, and then break down our options...Due to my age and my reasons for infertility, she recommended eSET which we completely agreed with...was incredibly caring when we were under her care. from the moment we met her we felt confident in her abilities and process. In our first consultation visit she explained everything so well to us.
The MGH clinic was one of the best run healthcare offices I have worked with. They really have their operations down. I never had an issue getting an appointment when I needed one. I never had to wait too long...I don't recall having any poor experiences [with the nurses]. The clinic runs really well and I always received calls when expected and with the appropriate level of compassion...the clinic has specific protocols that they use. I reacted very well to their standard protocols.
Dr. Sabatini was incredibly caring when we were under her care. from the moment we met her we felt confident in her abilities and process. In our first consultation visit she explained everything so well to us. She really took the time to understand what our goals were, What we were willing to go through, and then break down our options. I recommended her to another friend who also loved her. Dr. Sabatini is one of the best doctors I have ever had. Fertility treatment is hard and she was incredibly understanding of that and helped make it as smooth as possible.
Trust her!
I felt like a human because she built such a nice relationship with my husband and I.
It has been so long now since my first fresh cycle. I don't know if doctors that their own protocol but I know the clinic has specific protocols that they use. I reacted very well to their standard protocols. For my fresh cycle, I used Lupron, Follistim or gonal-F, menopur, ovidrel trigger I believe, steroids and antibiotics before transfer as well as injectable progesterone and an estrogen patch. My two fresh cycles were pretty long to start which initiated with lupron and estrogen patches. As we neared transfer, I used estrogen patches, progesterone suppositories and progesterone injections.
I don't recall having any poor experiences. The clinic runs really well and I always received calls when expected and with the appropriate level of compassion.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
I had incredible health insurance and only needed to pay a copay for medication. I don't think I ever spend more than $140 per cycle out of pocket.
2013 - 2015, Successful
On our first meeting, Dr. Souter explained the entire process very thoroughly and on each subsequent visit, I felt as though I knew what to expect next...I couldn't be happier with her as my doctor. After my failed IVF attempt (the second of three attempts), Dr. Souter called me personally to see how I was doing and to make a plan for moving forward with another cycle.
I met with most of the doctors on the team at MGH Fertility clinic, and have to say each of them made me feel the same way-- very comfortable and as though I was in good hands and that my situation was very important to them. [The nursing staff was] very kind and caring and very much on top of things!
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
On our first meeting, Dr. Souter explained the entire process very throughly and on each subsequent visit, I felt as though I knew what to expect next. I had even run into Dr. Souter out in public in my hometown (A suburb of Boston) and she couldn't have been more pleasant- she knew me by my first name, introduced me to her daughter, interacted with my daughter (and remembered her name) whom was conceived through IVF with Dr. Souter. I couldn't be happier with her as my doctor. After my failed IVF attempt (the second of three attempts), Dr. Souter called me personally to see how I was doing and to make a plan for moving forward with another cycle.
I think if I were to give one piece of advice to a prospective patient, it would be that having a child is a miracle and no matter how good your doctor is, it might not work. You have to have patience with the process.
In the three times I went through IVF with Dr. Souter, I always felt like both she and her team knew me as a person- I met with most of the doctors on the team at MGH Fertility clinic, and have to say each of them made me feel the same way-- very comfortable and as though I was in good hands and that my situation was very important to them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Very kind and caring and very much on top of things!
2013 - 2015, Unsuccessful
The first IUI was great, a lot of information, timely detailed instructions. This second IUI (was suppose to be IVF) was confusing, received mismatching information from nurses, and generally was made to feel that they didn't really care about the outcome.

2014, Successful
How was your experience with Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Tanrikut is highly trained, great at communicating, and personable. When we left our appointments we understood the next steps, both the risks and possible outcomes. There were never any surprises. Further, when we thought of questions between appointments, she was always quick to respond to an e-mail through patient gateway. My diagnosis was unobstructed azoospermia (zero sperm count). My only chance at having children was to undergo MicroTESE surgery performed by Dr. Tanrikut. My anxiety was high on the day of my surgery, but I distinctly remember Dr. Tanrikut in the operating room before they administered the anesthesia; her demeanor, professionalism, and compassion toward me gave me the reassurance that I was in the best hands possible. When I woke up, Dr. Tanrikut was there to tell me the good news that she had found enough sperm for 4 cycles of IVF/ICSI. Though the fog of the anesthesia was still heavy, I distinctly remember tears of joy; a moment I will never forget. Dr. Tanrikut then left me and delivered the news personally to my wife as well. While the success of the surgery was ultimately a matter of whether or not my body was producing sperm or not, Dr. Tanrikut’s expertise in diagnosing the problem, having the technical skills to perform the surgery, and ultimately finding the best possible outcome cannot be understated. Beyond her technical skills, her demeanor and compassionate approach to our care was just as important. She demonstrated a true understanding of the emotional struggles we faced, both for myself and more importantly my wife. A phone call after the surgery, and a personal response to the thank you note we sent after the birth of our child are just two more examples of the long term commitment Dr. Tanrikut showed us. I cannot think of any weaknesses displayed by Dr. Tanrikut during our time under her care. She is truly an exceptional doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I'd say to trust her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Tanrikut brought the right level of frankness balanced with compassion. She never rushed an appointment and always made certain we had a full understanding of what we had discussed.
Describe the protocols Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
MicroTESE surgery. This was the recommendation after four sperm analyses showed zero sperm.
The nursing staff at MGH is exceptional. Caring and highly skilled.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Our overall experience at the MGH Fertility Center was exceptional. The doctors are professional, caring, and highly skilled. The support team (nurses, embryologists, fellows, MAs, etc...) are excellent as well. The hardest part for us to trust them on was the IVF doctor rotation. At MGH, your primary doctor develops your treatment plan, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they will perform/monitor your IVF cycle. The doctors at the center rotate as the “IVF doctor” (each week I believe). We were a little uncomfortable with this at first, however it worked out perfectly fine. We needed multiple IVF cycles before we had our baby, so we ended up meeting quite a few of the doctors in the center. Each of them demonstrated the highest level of commitment, care, and professionalism in their interactions with us.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I do not recall the exact costs. But I remember that they were in line with other providers.
Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut
2012 - 2014, Unsuccessful
We had 3 failed IVFs with her [Dr. Souter] all using the same protocol. I suggested using a different protocol several times and she indicated that my current protocol was the one they always use for patients with PCOS... I think Dr. Souter is generally a good physician... Appointments with Dr. Souter sometimes seemed rushed and it was clear she didn't review my chart before my appointments.
MGH has a ton of experience with IVf... Dr. Souter works with a team of physicians who coordinate each patients care... The nurses are really on top of things. They are very knowledgeable and able to answer just about any question you throw at them... The monitoring here was pretty efficient but there were times where you felt like cattle.
How was your experience with Irene Souter at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Strengths: MGH has a ton of experience with IVf and some of the best stats in the state. Dr. Souter works with a team of physicians who coordinate each patients care. Weaknesses: Dr. Souter sees a ton of patients so it can sometimes feel like you're just a number. She also seems to rely on standard MGH protocols so much so that she is unwilling to consider each individual patient's situation.
I think Dr. Souter is generally a good physician. I would just caution prospective patients to get a second opinion if you have several failed IVFs because she seems resitant to protocol change.
Appointments with Dr. Souter sometimes seemed rushed and it was clear she didn't review my chart before my appointments. She was also late for several appointments. I distinctly remember one time we had an appointment with her and she was almost 45 minutes late even though we were the first appointment after lunch. The nurse told us she had car trouble and would be late. When we finally got into her office there was a piece of cake on a paper plate....aka she went to a party or lunch and failed to return on time. This was an appointment where we were supposed to discuss a failed IVF. It made me feel like our loss was unimportant and didn't matter. Another issue I had with Dr. Souter is that she didn't seem to listen to my opinion. We had 3 failed IVFs with her all using the same protocol. I suggested using a different protocol several times and she indicated that my current protocol was the one they always use for patients with PCOS. I later tried the other protocol with a different physician and my egg quality was amazing. One saving grace here is that the nurses were wonderful. While it's almost impossible to get a hold of them without having to leave a message, they are very compassionate and always on the ball.
I did the long lupron protocol for both IVFs with Dr. Souter. I have PCOS and I kept inching towards overresponding with each IVF. I never had good egg quality and none of my embryos made it to blast.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Pam)
The nurses are really on top of things. They are very knowledgble and able to answer just about any question you throw at them.
The monitoring here was pretty efficient but there were times where you felt like cattle. Unfortunately I think this just illustrates the ebb and flow of a large IVF clinic.
I was very luck and my IVFs were covered 100% by insurance.
2014, Successful
He was upfront and honest with us about the need to use a donor egg and ICSI, after two failed IVF's with colleagues in his clinic, he would have moved forward with our own embryo's if we wanted by he painted a realist picture of what our success rate would be 0.5%
His [Dr. Petrozza 's] staff made us feel more human, we rarely saw him. Julie was the donor coordinator and she took care of everything for us; we couldn't have been more happy with her. the staff nurses who assisted during the transfer were also wonderful.
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
ask a lot of question and understand WHY you're not able to conceive. Knowing why your not getting pregnant will help you be able to make decisions about topics you haven't considered yet, like donor egg
his staff made us feel more human, we rarely saw him
we used a donor egg, so I felt less in control of the process. he had a clear roadmap of donor egg cycles to get me to feel comfortable with what this cycle would be like compared to my other two unsuccessful cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Julie Gold)
teaching hospital based clinic
the first two cycles were covered by insurance, the donor egg cycle cost of $25000.00 out of pocket
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
the blood lab accidently threw out my blood sample when discarding the used needle in the sharps container and had to redraw the sample for the pregnancy test. I had to call to get results, they only make call backs at the end of the day, but the results were sitting in their office from 8am that morning.
2010 - 2014, Successful
I would say to trust her. Dr. Shifren knows what she's doing. She's not overly aggressive with the treatments like some doctors...She was thorough but very efficient at the same time.
[My nurse at MGH] was very caring and thorough with the instructions given to me for all the medications etc. They remembered details of my husband as well although he did not visit the clinic as much as I did.
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
dr Shifren was professional and very thorough in explaining everything. i would say she's one of the best in her field. she was thorough but very efficient at the same time. she had great bedside manner as well. when I miscarried she called to say how sorry she was, and when I got pregnant (twice) she called to congratulate me and say how happy she is for me. I loved the nurse that supports her as well. I still frequently send her and dr Shifren photos of my daughters who she helped me bring to this world!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I would say to trust her. she knows what she's doing. she's not overly aggressive with the treatments like some doctors who gets you pregnant but will multiples which is high risk. she helped me get pregnant twice and I ended up with two singletons. Two healthy girls.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I talked to her nurse, Judy all the time. She was very caring and thorough with the instructions given to me for all the medications etc. They remembered details of my husband as well although he did not visit the clinic as much as I did.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Judy Shankman)
Compassionate, organized, and trustworthy
Jan Shifren
2013 - 2014, Unknown Success
Doctor Shifren is very compassionate and caring, but there is a point in which her demeanor is almost too sensitive that felt like I was a baby myself. I got to see her a lot though, which is comforting....Dr. Shifren and team agreed to giving me one try at IVF with my own eggs due to DOR/poor egg quality. Needed a salpingectomy, then started an aggressive Lupron Flare protocol.
There were monitoring hours [at MGH Fertility] but you made an appointment. It was very well run and efficient. The best part was, you were almost always monitored by a doctor who would tell you what was happening while you were there. You would still get a call later from a nurse with instructions, but at the monitoring appointment, you would know how things were progressing. No anxious waiting involved.
How was your experience with Jan Shifren at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Doctor Shiffren is very compassionate and caring, but there is a point in which her demeanor is almost too sensitive that felt like I was a baby myself. I got to see her a lot though, which is comforting.
If you prefer a very gentle and coddling personality, she's definitely for you. If you're more straightforward and "down to business," I recommend another doctor.
Dr. Shiffren and team were very warm but it was clear decisions were based on published statistics that make the clinic "successful."
Describe the protocols Jan Shifren used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
Dr. Shiffren and team agreed to giving me one try at IVF with my own eggs due to DOR/poor egg quality. Needed a salpingectomy, then started an aggressive Lupron Flare protocol.
Awesome!
Well run and efficient.
There were monitoring hours but you made an appointment. It was very well run and efficient. The best part was, you were almost always monitored by a doctor who would tell you what was happening while you were there. You would still get a call later from a nurse with instructions, but at the monitoring appointment, you would know how things were progressing. No anxious waiting involved.
Jan Shifren