Mayo Clinic

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
200 First Street SW
Rochester, MN 55905
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mayo Clinic to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 7Neutral: 3Don't recommend: 18.9
View fewer doctors
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Amazing nursing staff [Mayo Clinic]. They are passionate and kind-hearted. We had some communication issues every once in a while but nothing too scary or disheartening. The biggest challenge was medication and making sure I had what I needed and that was more of an issue with my pharmacy and insurance than with the nursing staff. The nursing staff was very helpful and educational.... It was approximately $15,000 for stim and retrieval
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
REI is not one of the areas Mayo Clinic puts a lot of time, money and resources into and I don't blame them. They can specialize and succeed in other areas that many hospitals cannot. So with that it would be nice for them to be a leader in REI but I understand they can't be a leader in everything. It's just challenging because there are not too many REI options available in this area. Their sonographer is amazing. She completely understands REI and is extremely personable. She is very knowledgable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Coddington is very passionate about what he does. He is caring and has a gentle heart.
Amazing nursing staff. They are passionate and kind-hearted. We had some communication issues every once in a while but nothing too scary or disheartening. The biggest challenge was medication and making sure I had what I needed and that was more of an issue with my pharmacy and insurance than with the nursing staff. The nursing staff was very helpful and educational.
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Coddington is kind and passionate. Very easy to approach and is positive. Overall our experience has been positive, I just wish we would find success. I appreciate that they didn't beat around the bushes and moved to IVF after no success with pills and shots. I didn't feel like they were dragging their feet and we were not scared to jump to IVF either.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
Be your own advocate. Know what you are willing and not willing to do. If IVF is not on the table be clear about that. It is expensive and you have to be ready for the expense.
Describe the protocols Charles Coddington used in your cycles at Mayo Clinic and their degree of success.
We started with 6 months of letrozole with no luck I still was not ovulating. Then moved to a trigger shot for 3 months. No luck with that just a late period. After that we decided to move to IVF. My husbands sperm count is great and my PCOS was giving us some trouble. We did two frozen embryo transfers. The first transfering 1 Grade A embryo with no success and the second FET was with 2 Grade A embryos with no success. We took a long break and am now discussing next steps. Last fall we moved forward with PGS testing and now have 8 strong embryos that tested chromosomally normal. Now we are deciding if we want to do another transfer or get a GC. We had no problems getting pregnant with our first and only 5 years ago.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic.
It was approximately $15,000 for stim and retrieval (including meds) and $5,000 for Frozen Embryo Transfers
Describe Charles Coddington's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Mayo Clinic.
Mayo Clinic is very conservative when it comes to transferring only one maybe two embryos. I had to talk them into putting two embryos the second time we did a transfer. I completely understand their rationale and am appreciative that they are conservative with this.
Rochester
The front desk/appointment staff [at Mayo] were relatively less warm and empathizing than the rest of the staff. ..I asked for a mental health referral, and one of the doctors communicated to the therapist that I had a history of miscarriages, which I have not...I've seen many different nurses, but they've all been very compassionate, professional and warm...I had complete confidence in the clinic overall because of the expertise of the medical staff, which far outweighed the other negatives.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
The front desk/appointment staff were relatively less warm and empathizing than the rest of the staff. I'd still highly recommend Mayo based on my experience with the doctors and nurses, but I have had several experiences where their front desk staff were unclear, short, or treated me more like a number than a person. On the other hand, I had complete confidence in the clinic overall because of the expertise of the medical staff, which far outweighed the other negatives.
Dr. Coddington was very professional and experienced, but also took the time to encourage us to ask questions and gave very thorough and helpful answers. Our IVF orientation was when we had the most conversation time with him, and we didn't feel rushed so he could get to his next appointment like a lot of doctors do, which I appreciated. When I was taken to the OR for my egg retrieval (feeling very nervous) he and the whole team met me outside the door with smiles and genuine welcomes, and made me feel a lot more at ease about the procedure.
I've seen many different nurses, but they've all been very compassionate, professional and warm. During one particular visit when I was having a hard time, the nurse took extra time with me to share a bit of her own story and talk about what had worked for her.
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
Dr Coddington is very professional and experienced. I felt well taken care of, and in good hands for our IVF procedure. He wears really great old-school tweed jackets to his client appointments, which I find adorable. Our IVF cycle is still in progress, but I've had a very good experience so far.
I was originally a bit hesitant because my first doctor (Dr. Daftary) left Mayo before my IVF cycle started, and I'd really liked him and connected with him. Dr Coddington's age made me a little nervous, but in the end, I felt it was a huge benefit, both in terms of his experience and longtime expertise.
We had initial testing and procedures done at our local clinic, which was around $2500 (not covered by insurance). Before starting IVF I needed a procedure that cost about $2000 (not covered) and an MRI to check a possible issue with my pituitary gland (spendy, but covered by insurance), plus a variety of blood tests that were probably around $400 total. Then the IVF itself was about $12k plus the cost of meds, which ended up being a bit over $3k (neither of these were covered by insurance, but I did qualify for the EMD Serono Compassionate Care program, which saved a considerable sum on meds)
The team at Mayo strongly encourages single transfer whenever possible, and thoroughly explained their reasons why for my case. I felt confident about the choice based on their recommendation.
Rochester
Some of the nurses [at Mayo Clinic] were informative and patient in their responses, while others seemed rushed, did not give accurate responses to my questions or only partially answered my questions. My medical records did not accurately reflect the number of IUIs I had nor the results of IUI and when I pointed this out, she didn't appear to follow up to ensure it was corrected...The first consultation I had was with a doctor who was leaving the clinic shortly after my initial appointment. I got very basic information and when I asked more questions she said I'd have plenty of opportunities to seek answers as I moved forward with treatments. I paid over $500 for that appointment
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
The first consultation I had was with a doctor who was leaving the clinic shortly after my initial appointment. I got very basic information and when I asked more questions she said I'd have plenty of opportunities to seek answers as I moved forward with treatments. I paid over $500 for that appointment, as my insurance does not cover fertility treatments or appointments. I did not have opportunities to get more in depth answers from a doctor and from there spoke mainly to the nurses. My advice would be to be sure to ask a lot of questions and explore all of your options for fertility with your doctor so you are most informed. Also, do your own research, as I found more information on the internet than what my initial consultation provided.
Dr. Coddington made sure all my questions were answered and expressed a very empathetic and personable demeanour with sincerity.
Some of the nurses were informative and patient in their responses, while others seemed rushed, did not give accurate responses to my questions or only partially answered my questions. My medical records did not accurately reflect the number of IUIs I had nor the results of IUI and when I pointed this out, she didn't appear to follow up to ensure it was corrected.
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
He is very knowledgeable and makes an effort to explain things in a way that the patient can understand. He comes across as very caring and treats patients as unique individuals versus as just anothee appointment on his busy calendar.
Ask all the questions you have, even if seems like a superficial question.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see Dr Coddington as regularly as i would have liked and ended up primarily seeing a physicians assistant. I saw 2 different doctors to discuss fertility options. Dr. Coddington did my polyp removal surgery and post surgery appointment.
After 4 IUIs, my bill was about $5000
I have not yet moved forward with embryo transfer, however hope to do so at my next cycle. The PA informed me that they'll likely transfer one with the genetic testing and 2 if no genetic testing.
Rochester
The nursing staff [at Mayo Clinic] was amazing! They were all so kind and helpful. Very good at communicating the next steps and making sure I knew what was going on...The clinic is well organized and has very nice staff. I don't believe there really are many weaknesses. They are very good at communicating and making you feel like a person. Everyone was kind and it didn't matter who I talked to they were all able to help me with my care.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
Everyone in the office was always so nice. They treated you like a human being and took as much time as necessary for my care. I never felt rushed. I always left my appointments knowing exactly what was going on and my questions were always answered.
The nursing staff was amazing! They were all so kind and helpful. Very good at communicating the next steps and making sure I knew what was going on.
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
He was an amazing doctor. I would recommend him to anyone. He was kind and compassionate. He explained things very well and always made me feel better about the whole process. Never once did I feel uncomfortable or rushed.
The only advice I have is to definitely go with him as a doctor. He's great and really knows what he's doing.
I don't remember the exact protocol but we started with Gonal-f and we started slow. There wasn't much progress at first but everyone stayed patient and continued to slowly increase my dose. We finally had a decent number of large follicles and we were ready for retrieval. We retrieved 32 follicles. I ended up with OHSS but everyone at the clinic checked up on me daily to make sure everything was going well. I was updated every step of the way. Everything went very well.
I had insurance so cost wasn't a huge issue for us. But the overall cost was comparable to other clinics doing IVF.
Rochester
[At Mayo Clinic Fertility] pricing is $9,900 for one round of IVf, which includes everything except for male testing/collection (which I believe was around $300 - $400), embryo storage ($300-$400) and ICSI (around $1,100). It also does not include medications. With my transfer being cancelled, the frozen transfer will be included as well as I had viable embryos.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
On-time appointments and the quality of care from top to bottom are fantastic. Some of the appointments for education can be a bit repetitive and seemingly useless, especially if you are traveling from out of town. That said, I also don't think they did a good job of explaining their ICSI policy to us at any point, which is an area they can improve on.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
You know when you go out on a first date and you just click with the other person? That was my experience with Dr. Jensen. She took the time to get to know my husband and me, did an amazing job of picking up on we needed from her in terms of type of information and how it was presented, made sure all of our questions were answered, suggested a second opinion from a "baby or your money back" clinic when we finally needed to be moved to IVF, and even took her lunch break to come back and talk to us during one appointment.
The regular ultrasound tech is fantastic, as is the phone staff. Anna was also a stand out for us in terms of care. One nurse had a difficult time with our first IUI, and seemed freaked out when it was not going well so she had someone else come in to finish the job (turned out to be Anna). She didn't have the same problems, which was good.
What specific things went wrong at Mayo Clinic?
How was your experience with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
We made the trek from the Twin Cities down to Rochester for all of our appointments based on the quality of care we received from Dr. Jensen. In addition, and although you can see any of the doctors for appointments, I only scheduled my appointments with her, (though for my retrieval I didn't have any choice in the matter as they are on a schedule for retrievals). She is the type of person I respond best to - "Get $(#% Done" - but does so in a way that still comes off as compassionate and caring. I'm still in the middle of my care, but I feel like she is doing everything in her power to make it successful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
Be straight and to the point with your objectives for care and how much (or how little) information you may want from her.
Describe the protocols Jani Jensen used in your cycles at Mayo Clinic and their degree of success.
4 rounds of letrozole + timed intercourse. 3 were suggested, we did a bonus round because we were going to be out of town and couldn't do an IUI that month. 3 IUIs. We were a good candidate for this being successful given the diagnosis of unexplained infertility, quality of husband's sperm, and our overall age/health. We were given the option of doing IVF right away, but after reviewing the statistics with Dr. Jensen, 3 IUI cycles seemed like the right choice. Currently in the middle our first round of IVF. After 3 IUIs, were were told the chance of it being successful dropped significantly so we should try to be more aggressive. We were given options on meds to help with pricing, so it was a Folistim/Gonal-F + Menopur cycle, with Ganirelix for a few days before the Pregnyl trigger. Egg retrieval - 16 total, 12 mature, 10 fertilized without ICSI. ICSI is standard at Mayo for unexplained infertility, but given the additional cost and the studies I looked at (percentage of live births with/without ICSI for unexplained infertility couples with no MFI) we opted against it. Slightly elevated progesterone on the day of trigger (2.0), so the fresh transfer was cancelled and all embryos were frozen on Day 1. Next step is another consult with Dr. Jensen, then a protocol for a frozen transfer which will be 7-8 weeks out.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic.
Lori Kingsley in the billing office is great, but her co-worker is terrible. Make sure you work with Lori instead. Pricing is $9,900 for one round of IVf, which includes everything except for male testing/collection (which I believe was around $300 - $400), embryo storage ($300-$400) and ICSI (around $1,100). It also does not include medications. With my transfer being cancelled, the frozen transfer will be included as well as I had viable embryos.
Jani Jensen
Rochester
[Mayo Clinic] strengths: great reviews and awards, prompt, compassionate, available.. "weakness" : I was not anticipating waiting 2 months to actually start my cycle. I completed the consult and pre-testing within two weeks of one another, then was told the first available date for me to start was in 2 months...Mayo Clinic uses an online portal for questions; which is really convenient. The nurses are very prompt and get back in as little as an hour and up to a day.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
strengths: great reviews and awards, prompt, compassionate, available, this is the only clinic I found in my area that accepts insurance for Advanced Reproductive Technologies (ART), other clinics I was looking at required to patient to pay out of pocket for ART. "weakness" : I was not anticipating waiting 2 months to actually start my cycle. I completed the consult and pre-testing within two weeks of one another, then was told the first available date for me to start was in 2 months. However, this goes to show that since there is a waiting list it is a popular clinic and worth the wait!
Mayo Clinic uses an online portal for questions; which is really convenient. The nurses are very prompt and get back in as little as an hour and up to a day. I feel comfortable asking questions and checking in.
How was your experience with Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic?
Each visit with Dr. Khan he was through, friendly, humorous and compassionate. He did a great job explaining the process with specific and light hearted examples; making the tough process and decision making more bearable. It was also great that he made sure we understood the process and next steps.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic?
Don't be uncomfortable to ask questions!
Describe the protocols Zaraq Khan used in your cycles at Mayo Clinic and their degree of success.
I am beginning my stimulation in a few months. I will be taking estrdiol, follistim, menopur and ganirelix. I will be doing a fresh cycle following retrieval and ICSI.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic.
freshcycle 20k meds 4-8k ISCI $1,500 Freezing embryos $1,000
Describe Zaraq Khan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Mayo Clinic.
Dr. Khan recommends transferring one embryo at a time, based upon my age (28) and reproductive health. We are facing male infertility.
Zaraq Khan
Rochester
The nurses [at Mayo] are very kind but we did have some organizational issues with them. Nothing that caused any problems but did cause a little stress at times...At the time a cycle with satellite monitoring was $8700. That did not include a consult or any testing prior to starting. Icsi and cryopreservation was a separate charge....I just had a blood test that didn’t get ordered so it involved a return trip to the lab.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
Organization was a slight problem when I was a patient. I did refer a friend there later and she had even bigger problems with them being disorganized. They were small problems such as orders not being sent but stressful when dealing with everything as a whole.
Dr. Coddington is very patient and kind. He really took the time to listen and answer my questions without making me feel silly.
The nurses are very kind but we did have some organizational issues with them. Nothing that caused any problems but did cause a little stress at times.
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Coddington takes the time to explain the treatments and reasons for the path they’ve chosen for you. He listens to your concerns and will share his opinion. He’s very knowledgeable about the risks of multiple embryo transfers but never tried to pressure me in to choosing a different option at that point in our journey.
Be willing to ask any questions you have. He’s very knowledgeable.
Dr. Coddington does prefer single embryo transfers in the cases where appropriate so be did spend a lot of time going through the risks and stats when we decided to transfer 2 embryos on our 3rd try. We did a normal Ivf cycle with menopur and gonal f. We had a retrieval and a 5 day transfer with icsi.
We did opt for a multiple transfer on our 3rd round but the first two were single. Dr. Coddington did suggest eSet for us but was open to a multiple for the 3rd cycle.
Rochester
Mayo Clinic is obviously a great institution and one of the best hospitals in the world. At times, I have felt that they are so confident in their abilities and treatments as a whole that individual concerns and exceptions get overlooked.... One time my prescription was called in under my husband's name. To be fair, they were treating us as a couple in Reproductive Endocrinology, so both of our records were open when the prescription was made. They did correct the problem as soon as it was discovered.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Chandra Shenoy at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Shenoy listened to all of my concerns and answered all of my questions. Feeling listened too has not always been the case in this journey.
What specific things went wrong at Mayo Clinic?
How was your experience with Chandra Shenoy at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Shenoy seemed very attentive during her time with me. She listened to everything I had to say, did a great job explaining her reasons for her recommended treatment, and answered all of my questions. She was also very quick to respond to questions I had after the appointment via Mayo's patient messaging system.
Describe the protocols Chandra Shenoy used in your cycles at Mayo Clinic and their degree of success.
Dr. Shenoy switched me from Clomid to Letrozole, because she told me that according to research, she thought I would have a better success rate on Letrozole. She also discussed more "aggressive" treatment options, such as hcg injections with monitoring and IUIs, but helped me decide at that point in time I was okay with just trying the oral medication. She also explained future options and at what point she would recommend IVF.
Chandra Shenoy
Rochester
The clinic [Mayo Clinic] does have some organization issues. Nothing big enough to mess up our cycles but there were some hiccups...There was one mixup with infectious disease testing. They caught it and sent me down for the testing....At the time the consultation was $500. The ivf package with offsite monitoring was $8700...We had a fairly standard protocol on my side. I did end up with ohss the first time so we adjusted the stims for the next cycle. We did have to use icsi for fertilization.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
The clinic does have some organization issues. Nothing big enough to mess up our cycles but there were some hiccups.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gaurang Daftary at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Daftary is a very warm doctor. He enthusiastically greets you with a hug and showed us a great deal of compassion after our failed cycles.
What specific things went wrong at Mayo Clinic?
How was your experience with Gaurang Daftary at Mayo Clinic?
We saw Dr. Daftary primarily for our first cycle. That cycle was a learning curve for all of us and was full of little and big bumps along the way. He never made us feel like we should give up and when we ultimately did get pregnant from our 3rd cycle he was as excited as we were.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gaurang Daftary at Mayo Clinic?
Don't be afraid to ask him questions or call him with concerns.
Describe the protocols Gaurang Daftary used in your cycles at Mayo Clinic and their degree of success.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gaurang Daftary at Mayo Clinic.
Describe Gaurang Daftary's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Mayo Clinic.
All of the doctors at Mayo recommended one embryo for us. When I requested to transfer two the first cycle he was in agreement with my reasons and shared the risks. Ultimately we only had one blast that cycle. We transferred one during round two and then two during round 3. We were given everything we needed to know about the risks but we were in the drivers seat.
Gaurang Daftary
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Some nurses were compassionate and others were not...Serena was a good one...Kari was very sweet...Anna was not compassionate at all and cold towards us when asking questions...They are well organized for most part...Overall compassionate with a few nurses that are not...Providers are good...He [Dr. Charles Coddington] knew what he was doing and seemed skilled and educated...He wanted the same goal for me...He spent time with me and my husband...He was empathetic with the loss of our little girl- stillborn...I had a good experience
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
They are well organized for most part Overall compassionate with a few nurses that are not Providers are good
Both
Some nurses were compassionate and others were not Serena was a good one Kari was very sweet Anna was not compassionate at all and cold towards us when asking questions
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
He showed compassionate He knew what he was doing and seemed skilled and educated He wanted the same goal for me He spent time with me and my husband He was empathetic with the loss of our little girl- stillborn
I had a good experience
With endometriosis he developed a plan for me- I was allergic to birth control pills and he developed a plan that did not include pills
$30k
Na
2013 - 2015
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Daftary [at Mayo Clinic] was amazing. He has a very positive attitude, and is blunt and proactive when it comes to treatment options. I always felt comfortable with him...He always had a smile on his face and a positive attitude. He gave me hugs or patted my hand when he sensed I needed it...I had a successful IVF cycle with ICSI. We did ICSI because there was no logical reason why our medicated TI cycles weren't working so he suspected there might be an issue with my eggs being too tough for the sperm to penetrate. I can't remember the exact drugs and dosages right now.
2013 - 2015
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Gaurang Daftary at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Daftary was amazing. He has a very positive attitude, and is blunt and proactive when it comes to treatment options. I always felt comfortable with him.
Gaurang Daftary