Genetic counseling: Offered
Selling medication: Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
200 First Street SW
Rochester, MN 55905
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mayo Clinic to a friend?

7.3

View fewer doctors
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
My last 3 appointments [at the Mayo Clinic] which was one ultrasound, blood work, and just talking to them has added up to over $2,000 I have to pay out of pocket. She gave me a pamphlet for IVF which states it will cost us $10,000 for IVF not including any testing or medications. My husbands last 3 appointments have also added up to $800 for his semen analysis and talking to a urologist.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
It’s Mayo Clinic, which is the best of the best. If I had more money to get more treatments I’m sure they could help me have a baby. I just wish they would try more things with me. I would like to try less invasive procedures. I also wish they were more understanding about the financial burden fertility treatments put on us. We are so stressed out but we just want help.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ebbie Stewart at Mayo Clinic?
She wasn’t willing to try any noninvasive procedures. She wants us to go straight to IVF. Which is really expensive. I hope to get help to get pregnant or be able to afford IVF.
Every time I check in some nurses look at me weird because I look so young. I don’t feel like they treat me with respect. I’m married and am an adult they shouldn’t judge me.
How was your experience with Ebbie Stewart at Mayo Clinic?
Honestly I didn’t feel like Ebbie took me seriously. I am only 24 years old, but I am married and having a baby is my choice. She wants to go straight to IVF and she didn’t do a great job explaining it. I wish she would let me try ovulation drugs first, but my husbands semen analysis came back low. Now he is currently taking clomid and Ebbie still will only give us the option of IVF. Which we can’t afford. Also, last time I was in her office I was crying they told me to exit the back door because they didn’t want other patients seeing me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ebbie Stewart at Mayo Clinic?
Ask her for other options and do a better job explaining things.
Describe the protocols Ebbie Stewart used in your cycles at Mayo Clinic and their degree of success.
Right now I am only taking Metformin. Once we figure out money she wants us to do IVF. She refuses to give me just Letrozole to try first. So far she hasn’t helped me at all.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ebbie Stewart at Mayo Clinic.
My last 3 appointments which was one ultrasound, blood work, and just talking to them has added up to over $2,000 I have to pay out of pocket. She gave me a pamphlet for IVF which states it will cost us $10,000 for IVF not including any testing or medications. My husbands last 3 appointments have also added up to $800 for his semen analysis and talking to a urologist.
Ebbie Stewart
Rochester

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Ebbie Stewart at Mayo Clinic.

1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Amazing nursing staff [Mayo Clinic]. They are passionate and kind-hearted. We had some communication issues every once in a while but nothing too scary or disheartening. The biggest challenge was medication and making sure I had what I needed and that was more of an issue with my pharmacy and insurance than with the nursing staff. The nursing staff was very helpful and educational.... It was approximately $15,000 for stim and retrieval
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
REI is not one of the areas Mayo Clinic puts a lot of time, money and resources into and I don't blame them. They can specialize and succeed in other areas that many hospitals cannot. So with that it would be nice for them to be a leader in REI but I understand they can't be a leader in everything. It's just challenging because there are not too many REI options available in this area. Their sonographer is amazing. She completely understands REI and is extremely personable. She is very knowledgable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Coddington is very passionate about what he does. He is caring and has a gentle heart.
Amazing nursing staff. They are passionate and kind-hearted. We had some communication issues every once in a while but nothing too scary or disheartening. The biggest challenge was medication and making sure I had what I needed and that was more of an issue with my pharmacy and insurance than with the nursing staff. The nursing staff was very helpful and educational.
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Coddington is kind and passionate. Very easy to approach and is positive. Overall our experience has been positive, I just wish we would find success. I appreciate that they didn't beat around the bushes and moved to IVF after no success with pills and shots. I didn't feel like they were dragging their feet and we were not scared to jump to IVF either.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
Be your own advocate. Know what you are willing and not willing to do. If IVF is not on the table be clear about that. It is expensive and you have to be ready for the expense.
Describe the protocols Charles Coddington used in your cycles at Mayo Clinic and their degree of success.
We started with 6 months of letrozole with no luck I still was not ovulating. Then moved to a trigger shot for 3 months. No luck with that just a late period. After that we decided to move to IVF. My husbands sperm count is great and my PCOS was giving us some trouble. We did two frozen embryo transfers. The first transfering 1 Grade A embryo with no success and the second FET was with 2 Grade A embryos with no success. We took a long break and am now discussing next steps. Last fall we moved forward with PGS testing and now have 8 strong embryos that tested chromosomally normal. Now we are deciding if we want to do another transfer or get a GC. We had no problems getting pregnant with our first and only 5 years ago.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic.
It was approximately $15,000 for stim and retrieval (including meds) and $5,000 for Frozen Embryo Transfers
Describe Charles Coddington's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Mayo Clinic.
Mayo Clinic is very conservative when it comes to transferring only one maybe two embryos. I had to talk them into putting two embryos the second time we did a transfer. I completely understand their rationale and am appreciative that they are conservative with this.
Rochester

The front desk/appointment staff [at Mayo] were relatively less warm and empathizing than the rest of the staff. ..I asked for a mental health referral, and one of the doctors communicated to the therapist that I had a history of miscarriages, which I have not...I've seen many different nurses, but they've all been very compassionate, professional and warm...I had complete confidence in the clinic overall because of the expertise of the medical staff, which far outweighed the other negatives.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
The front desk/appointment staff were relatively less warm and empathizing than the rest of the staff. I'd still highly recommend Mayo based on my experience with the doctors and nurses, but I have had several experiences where their front desk staff were unclear, short, or treated me more like a number than a person. On the other hand, I had complete confidence in the clinic overall because of the expertise of the medical staff, which far outweighed the other negatives.
Dr. Coddington was very professional and experienced, but also took the time to encourage us to ask questions and gave very thorough and helpful answers. Our IVF orientation was when we had the most conversation time with him, and we didn't feel rushed so he could get to his next appointment like a lot of doctors do, which I appreciated. When I was taken to the OR for my egg retrieval (feeling very nervous) he and the whole team met me outside the door with smiles and genuine welcomes, and made me feel a lot more at ease about the procedure.
I've seen many different nurses, but they've all been very compassionate, professional and warm. During one particular visit when I was having a hard time, the nurse took extra time with me to share a bit of her own story and talk about what had worked for her.
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
Dr Coddington is very professional and experienced. I felt well taken care of, and in good hands for our IVF procedure. He wears really great old-school tweed jackets to his client appointments, which I find adorable. Our IVF cycle is still in progress, but I've had a very good experience so far.
I was originally a bit hesitant because my first doctor (Dr. Daftary) left Mayo before my IVF cycle started, and I'd really liked him and connected with him. Dr Coddington's age made me a little nervous, but in the end, I felt it was a huge benefit, both in terms of his experience and longtime expertise.
We had initial testing and procedures done at our local clinic, which was around $2500 (not covered by insurance). Before starting IVF I needed a procedure that cost about $2000 (not covered) and an MRI to check a possible issue with my pituitary gland (spendy, but covered by insurance), plus a variety of blood tests that were probably around $400 total. Then the IVF itself was about $12k plus the cost of meds, which ended up being a bit over $3k (neither of these were covered by insurance, but I did qualify for the EMD Serono Compassionate Care program, which saved a considerable sum on meds)
The team at Mayo strongly encourages single transfer whenever possible, and thoroughly explained their reasons why for my case. I felt confident about the choice based on their recommendation.
Rochester

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic.

Some of the nurses [at Mayo Clinic] were informative and patient in their responses, while others seemed rushed, did not give accurate responses to my questions or only partially answered my questions. My medical records did not accurately reflect the number of IUIs I had nor the results of IUI and when I pointed this out, she didn't appear to follow up to ensure it was corrected...The first consultation I had was with a doctor who was leaving the clinic shortly after my initial appointment. I got very basic information and when I asked more questions she said I'd have plenty of opportunities to seek answers as I moved forward with treatments. I paid over $500 for that appointment
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
The first consultation I had was with a doctor who was leaving the clinic shortly after my initial appointment. I got very basic information and when I asked more questions she said I'd have plenty of opportunities to seek answers as I moved forward with treatments. I paid over $500 for that appointment, as my insurance does not cover fertility treatments or appointments. I did not have opportunities to get more in depth answers from a doctor and from there spoke mainly to the nurses. My advice would be to be sure to ask a lot of questions and explore all of your options for fertility with your doctor so you are most informed. Also, do your own research, as I found more information on the internet than what my initial consultation provided.
Dr. Coddington made sure all my questions were answered and expressed a very empathetic and personable demeanour with sincerity.
Some of the nurses were informative and patient in their responses, while others seemed rushed, did not give accurate responses to my questions or only partially answered my questions. My medical records did not accurately reflect the number of IUIs I had nor the results of IUI and when I pointed this out, she didn't appear to follow up to ensure it was corrected.
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
He is very knowledgeable and makes an effort to explain things in a way that the patient can understand. He comes across as very caring and treats patients as unique individuals versus as just anothee appointment on his busy calendar.
Ask all the questions you have, even if seems like a superficial question.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see Dr Coddington as regularly as i would have liked and ended up primarily seeing a physicians assistant. I saw 2 different doctors to discuss fertility options. Dr. Coddington did my polyp removal surgery and post surgery appointment.
After 4 IUIs, my bill was about $5000
I have not yet moved forward with embryo transfer, however hope to do so at my next cycle. The PA informed me that they'll likely transfer one with the genetic testing and 2 if no genetic testing.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other, Unexplained
Had we done IVF here it Mayo only would accept a small % of our insurance so I think it was going to cost $9500 of $18000 if I recall correctly...Mayo doesn't screw around. They are very, very serious about what they do. It was 150% worth it to drive from MSP to Rochester. You will be grilled, you will be put through the ringer, they will test everything under the sun if deemed at all necessary. It's what we needed with our "unexplained" diagnosis and recurrent losses.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
Bedside manner and communication skills EXCELLENT. Warm, positive, super quick to pick up on everything, and great sense of humor. Also I'd consider her the BEST of all the RE's I've seen on our very, very long journey. Wish I had met her first!!!
Don't recall; interaction very brief
How was your experience with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Jensen was wonderful. I wish I had known about her first, instead of weaving my way through multiple other docs (one clinic closed, one clinic really wasn't our jam). She was ON IT and put me through the ringer, yes - but I feel was the most accurate and detailed in her diagnosis and proposed treatment of our situation (recurrent loss, unexplained infertility)
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
She will grill you. But it is worth it. She's nice about it and has a great sense of humor - like, you'd be happy to have a margarita with her after this crappy season of your life is over!
Describe the protocols Jani Jensen used in your cycles at Mayo Clinic and their degree of success.
We went to Dr. Jensen at Mayo for a 3rd opinion - they were also the only other place who maybe would accept our insurance. She conducted a very detailed history, exam, consultation. She gave us the closest anyone could give us (legally), as to the "odds" of IVF working for our specific situation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic.
It was a consultation and testing, covered by insurance. Had we done IVF here it Mayo only would accept a small % of our insurance so I think it was going to cost $9500 of $18000 if I recall correctly
Describe Jani Jensen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Mayo Clinic.
Rochester

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic.

The nursing staff [at Mayo Clinic] was amazing! They were all so kind and helpful. Very good at communicating the next steps and making sure I knew what was going on...The clinic is well organized and has very nice staff. I don't believe there really are many weaknesses. They are very good at communicating and making you feel like a person. Everyone was kind and it didn't matter who I talked to they were all able to help me with my care.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
Everyone in the office was always so nice. They treated you like a human being and took as much time as necessary for my care. I never felt rushed. I always left my appointments knowing exactly what was going on and my questions were always answered.
The nursing staff was amazing! They were all so kind and helpful. Very good at communicating the next steps and making sure I knew what was going on.
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
He was an amazing doctor. I would recommend him to anyone. He was kind and compassionate. He explained things very well and always made me feel better about the whole process. Never once did I feel uncomfortable or rushed.
The only advice I have is to definitely go with him as a doctor. He's great and really knows what he's doing.
I don't remember the exact protocol but we started with Gonal-f and we started slow. There wasn't much progress at first but everyone stayed patient and continued to slowly increase my dose. We finally had a decent number of large follicles and we were ready for retrieval. We retrieved 32 follicles. I ended up with OHSS but everyone at the clinic checked up on me daily to make sure everything was going well. I was updated every step of the way. Everything went very well.
I had insurance so cost wasn't a huge issue for us. But the overall cost was comparable to other clinics doing IVF.
Rochester

[At Mayo Clinic Fertility] pricing is $9,900 for one round of IVf, which includes everything except for male testing/collection (which I believe was around $300 - $400), embryo storage ($300-$400) and ICSI (around $1,100). It also does not include medications. With my transfer being cancelled, the frozen transfer will be included as well as I had viable embryos.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
On-time appointments and the quality of care from top to bottom are fantastic. Some of the appointments for education can be a bit repetitive and seemingly useless, especially if you are traveling from out of town. That said, I also don't think they did a good job of explaining their ICSI policy to us at any point, which is an area they can improve on.
You know when you go out on a first date and you just click with the other person? That was my experience with Dr. Jensen. She took the time to get to know my husband and me, did an amazing job of picking up on we needed from her in terms of type of information and how it was presented, made sure all of our questions were answered, suggested a second opinion from a "baby or your money back" clinic when we finally needed to be moved to IVF, and even took her lunch break to come back and talk to us during one appointment.
The regular ultrasound tech is fantastic, as is the phone staff. Anna was also a stand out for us in terms of care. One nurse had a difficult time with our first IUI, and seemed freaked out when it was not going well so she had someone else come in to finish the job (turned out to be Anna). She didn't have the same problems, which was good.
How was your experience with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
We made the trek from the Twin Cities down to Rochester for all of our appointments based on the quality of care we received from Dr. Jensen. In addition, and although you can see any of the doctors for appointments, I only scheduled my appointments with her, (though for my retrieval I didn't have any choice in the matter as they are on a schedule for retrievals). She is the type of person I respond best to - "Get $(#% Done" - but does so in a way that still comes off as compassionate and caring. I'm still in the middle of my care, but I feel like she is doing everything in her power to make it successful.
Be straight and to the point with your objectives for care and how much (or how little) information you may want from her.
4 rounds of letrozole + timed intercourse. 3 were suggested, we did a bonus round because we were going to be out of town and couldn't do an IUI that month. 3 IUIs. We were a good candidate for this being successful given the diagnosis of unexplained infertility, quality of husband's sperm, and our overall age/health. We were given the option of doing IVF right away, but after reviewing the statistics with Dr. Jensen, 3 IUI cycles seemed like the right choice. Currently in the middle our first round of IVF. After 3 IUIs, were were told the chance of it being successful dropped significantly so we should try to be more aggressive. We were given options on meds to help with pricing, so it was a Folistim/Gonal-F + Menopur cycle, with Ganirelix for a few days before the Pregnyl trigger. Egg retrieval - 16 total, 12 mature, 10 fertilized without ICSI. ICSI is standard at Mayo for unexplained infertility, but given the additional cost and the studies I looked at (percentage of live births with/without ICSI for unexplained infertility couples with no MFI) we opted against it. Slightly elevated progesterone on the day of trigger (2.0), so the fresh transfer was cancelled and all embryos were frozen on Day 1. Next step is another consult with Dr. Jensen, then a protocol for a frozen transfer which will be 7-8 weeks out.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic.
Lori Kingsley in the billing office is great, but her co-worker is terrible. Make sure you work with Lori instead. Pricing is $9,900 for one round of IVf, which includes everything except for male testing/collection (which I believe was around $300 - $400), embryo storage ($300-$400) and ICSI (around $1,100). It also does not include medications. With my transfer being cancelled, the frozen transfer will be included as well as I had viable embryos.
Rochester

[Mayo Clinic] strengths: great reviews and awards, prompt, compassionate, available.. "weakness" : I was not anticipating waiting 2 months to actually start my cycle. I completed the consult and pre-testing within two weeks of one another, then was told the first available date for me to start was in 2 months...Mayo Clinic uses an online portal for questions; which is really convenient. The nurses are very prompt and get back in as little as an hour and up to a day.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
strengths: great reviews and awards, prompt, compassionate, available, this is the only clinic I found in my area that accepts insurance for Advanced Reproductive Technologies (ART), other clinics I was looking at required to patient to pay out of pocket for ART. "weakness" : I was not anticipating waiting 2 months to actually start my cycle. I completed the consult and pre-testing within two weeks of one another, then was told the first available date for me to start was in 2 months. However, this goes to show that since there is a waiting list it is a popular clinic and worth the wait!
Mayo Clinic uses an online portal for questions; which is really convenient. The nurses are very prompt and get back in as little as an hour and up to a day. I feel comfortable asking questions and checking in.
How was your experience with Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic?
Each visit with Dr. Khan he was through, friendly, humorous and compassionate. He did a great job explaining the process with specific and light hearted examples; making the tough process and decision making more bearable. It was also great that he made sure we understood the process and next steps.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic?
Don't be uncomfortable to ask questions!
Describe the protocols Zaraq Khan used in your cycles at Mayo Clinic and their degree of success.
I am beginning my stimulation in a few months. I will be taking estrdiol, follistim, menopur and ganirelix. I will be doing a fresh cycle following retrieval and ICSI.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic.
freshcycle 20k meds 4-8k ISCI $1,500 Freezing embryos $1,000
Describe Zaraq Khan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Mayo Clinic.
Dr. Khan recommends transferring one embryo at a time, based upon my age (28) and reproductive health. We are facing male infertility.
Zaraq Khan
Rochester

The nurses [at Mayo] are very kind but we did have some organizational issues with them. Nothing that caused any problems but did cause a little stress at times...At the time a cycle with satellite monitoring was $8700. That did not include a consult or any testing prior to starting. Icsi and cryopreservation was a separate charge....I just had a blood test that didn’t get ordered so it involved a return trip to the lab.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
Organization was a slight problem when I was a patient. I did refer a friend there later and she had even bigger problems with them being disorganized. They were small problems such as orders not being sent but stressful when dealing with everything as a whole.
Dr. Coddington is very patient and kind. He really took the time to listen and answer my questions without making me feel silly.
The nurses are very kind but we did have some organizational issues with them. Nothing that caused any problems but did cause a little stress at times.
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Coddington takes the time to explain the treatments and reasons for the path they’ve chosen for you. He listens to your concerns and will share his opinion. He’s very knowledgeable about the risks of multiple embryo transfers but never tried to pressure me in to choosing a different option at that point in our journey.
Be willing to ask any questions you have. He’s very knowledgeable.
Dr. Coddington does prefer single embryo transfers in the cases where appropriate so be did spend a lot of time going through the risks and stats when we decided to transfer 2 embryos on our 3rd try. We did a normal Ivf cycle with menopur and gonal f. We had a retrieval and a 5 day transfer with icsi.
We did opt for a multiple transfer on our 3rd round but the first two were single. Dr. Coddington did suggest eSet for us but was open to a multiple for the 3rd cycle.

2014 - 2018
PCOS, Other
They [The Mayo Clinic] have recently moved to a different area and it feels less clinical now, the environment is now more up to date and more warm/welcoming. The sonographer Roxanne is phenomenal she knows her stuff, is so great and personable and is an expert in her field..... $15,000 for retrieval and first round of IVF. Then $5,000 for each FET. $6,000 for genetic testing.
2014 - 2018
PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
They have recently moved to a different area and it feels less clinical now, the environment is now more up to date and more warm/welcoming. The sonographer Roxanne is phenomenal she knows her stuff, is so great and personable and is an expert in her field.
I was informed on the options. The only thing is I feel like the Mayo Clinic REI process is extremely conservative and they aren't willing to take risks.
Great nursing staff, extremely knowledgable
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
He is warm and welcoming and knowledgeable. I wish the Mayo Clinic were willing to take more risks in REI treatment, it is just quite conservative. The overall process was as smooth as it could be for 1 retrieval and two failed FET's with PCOS and Secondary infertility.
Don't be afraid to ask for more and push the boundaries.
We started with pills when those werent working we went to injections then to IVF. I was happy we skipped IUI since we knew it was more on my part then my partners part. I feel like IUI's would have been a waste.
They are very conservative. This round we have done genetic testing and have 8 "normal embryos" they will not let us put more than one in. The first time (prior to genetic testing) we did just one (failed FET) then we did two embryos the second time (failed FET) so we were hoping this third time they would allow 2 embryos to be transferred but since they are genetically tested they are very conservative with that.
Rochester

Mayo Clinic is great. Due to the large size, sometimes you can feel like just another number. The facilities and area are top notch.... There are a lot of nurses and all are prompt with responding to online messages. I wish we would have worked with just one throughout our Ivf cycle.... Since we were from the area, we didn’t run into any issues with scheduling appointments. If you are coming from out of state- I would hope they would be flexible with your appointments....
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
Mayo Clinic is great. Due to the large size, sometimes you can feel like just another number. The facilities and area are top notch. Since we were from the area, we didn’t run into any issues with scheduling appointments. If you are coming from out of state- I would hope they would be flexible with your appointments.
Dr. Coddington had a caring personality and wanted to help us have a baby. He was kind and cared about our history
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Coddington is extremely knowledgeable and has years of experience. Due to the large number of patients, sometimes I felt like he didn’t remember me. He was always kind though, very compassionate and reassured us we will keep trying.
He retired not too long ago, so unfortunately we can no longer see him.
Basic medications- gonal f, Menopur and cetrotide and then blood work and ultrasounds to determine number of follicles. Coddington did our retrieval and was very kind due to a hiccup with our surgery.
All in all- our Ivf cycle with medications, procedure and monitoring was just about $20,000
Only one embryo transfer is recommended by all doctors at Mayo.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
The reproductive office itself is smaller than I would have thought—smaller in size than my typical OB’s office. Everyone was speedy and helpful, but not a lot of emotions coming from anyone outside of the doctor. ... Obviously this is one of the best clinics in the country, and you feel it when you meet the doctors. ... [Nursing Staff] Pretty sterile, but very quick which I appreciated.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
Obviously this is one of the best clinics in the country, and you feel it when you meet the doctors. The reproductive office itself is smaller than I would have thought—smaller in size than my typical OB’s office. Everyone was speedy and helpful, but not a lot of emotions coming from anyone outside of the doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic?
He started by saying “I am so sorry that you are going through this”...usually doctors come in and immediately start “doctoring,” it was nice to have someone acknowledge how tough this is. He also spent a decent amount of time with us, making sure that we understood all of our next steps and had all of our questions answered.
Pretty sterile, but very quick which I appreciated.
How was your experience with Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic?
I really appreciated that we got a chance to kick IVF off with Dr Khan. He was realistic in expectations, explained all of our alternative routes, and was helpful in steering us down the right path. A great balance of giving us information and his opinion, but letting us make these huge life decisions for ourselves.
Ask whatever you’re thinking. He’s very approachable and explains things in an easy to understand way, so ask away.
Zaraq Khan
Rochester

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic.

Mayo Clinic is obviously a great institution and one of the best hospitals in the world. At times, I have felt that they are so confident in their abilities and treatments as a whole that individual concerns and exceptions get overlooked.... One time my prescription was called in under my husband's name. To be fair, they were treating us as a couple in Reproductive Endocrinology, so both of our records were open when the prescription was made. They did correct the problem as soon as it was discovered.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Chandra Shenoy at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Shenoy listened to all of my concerns and answered all of my questions. Feeling listened too has not always been the case in this journey.
What specific things went wrong at Mayo Clinic?
How was your experience with Chandra Shenoy at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Shenoy seemed very attentive during her time with me. She listened to everything I had to say, did a great job explaining her reasons for her recommended treatment, and answered all of my questions. She was also very quick to respond to questions I had after the appointment via Mayo's patient messaging system.
Describe the protocols Chandra Shenoy used in your cycles at Mayo Clinic and their degree of success.
Dr. Shenoy switched me from Clomid to Letrozole, because she told me that according to research, she thought I would have a better success rate on Letrozole. She also discussed more "aggressive" treatment options, such as hcg injections with monitoring and IUIs, but helped me decide at that point in time I was okay with just trying the oral medication. She also explained future options and at what point she would recommend IVF.
Chandra Shenoy
Rochester

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Chandra Shenoy at Mayo Clinic.

At times communication seemed to be an issue. We had billing problems that took some effort to get them to fix but with work they were fixed. Always advocate for yourself and watch the bills. Don’t be afraid to get your questions answered. We are paying for a service.... They [Mayo Clinic Nurses] were always very nice but often a little disorganized.... A test wasn’t ordered so I had to make an additional trip. They were apologetic and it wasn’t a big deal.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
Dr. Jensen went above and beyond to get us pregnant. When the other doctors suggested a sperm donor she went to the urologist to convince him to take our case. For that reason alone we have our babies created with my husbands sperm.
They were always very nice but often a little disorganized.
How was your experience with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Jensen is friendly and compassionate. She is exactly the type of doctor you need while going through infertility. She will go above and beyond to get you the results you are seeking. I worked with many doctors while at Mayo and she was the one who really made a difference.
Be open and honest. Don’t hold back anything. Give her the chance to answer your questions.
We used an antagonist protocol. The first cycle I did 150 ml of gonal-f and 50 ml of menopur and I overstimulated. The second cycle we started out with less GF and a lupron trigger and it was a perfect retrieval.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic.
The consult was $350, the mock transfer and sono was $2k and the Ivf package was around $8700.
Mayo encourages eSET but are open to transferring two of you are aware of all risks.
Rochester

They [Mayo Clinic] had great communication. If you have PCOS be prepared to hear over and over to lose weight. All of the doctors told me to lose weight. Which is kind of like ‘duh. I’m trying to lose weight. I don’t like being heavy.’ With PCOS it’s super hard to lose weight.... The nursing staff was great. They were quick to respond to phone calls and messages through the online portal.... Set up your appointments as early as you can and be prepared to see other doctors in the clinic when he isn’t available.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
They had great communication. If you have PCOS be prepared to hear over and over to lose weight. All of the doctors told me to lose weight. Which is kind of like ‘duh. I’m trying to lose weight. I don’t like being heavy.’ With PCOS it’s super hard to lose weight.
Dr. Coddington was really kind and seemed to really care about me as his patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Mayo Clinic.
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Coddington was a great doctor. He cared for me as a patient and wanted the best outcome for me. He was patient and kind. The hardest part was setting up appointment with him. He was hard to get into. Many times I saw other doctors in the clinic because he wasn’t available.
Started with gonal-f 75 units and worked up to 112.5 units. I was a slow responder so the first cycle was cancelled. Started at 112.5 for the next cycle. Did IUI with 3 potentially mature eggs.
Rochester

[The nurses at Mayo Clinic were] Always friendly and answered my questions when possible...I tried Chlomid and progesterone suppositories. I had several blood tests, which included a chromosomal test, and check the quantity of my eggs...I wish my other records had transferred over so they had my whole history on file. Going from OMC to Mayo, there was information that was not in my new file and trying to remember it all was hard.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
Not sure if this is their weakness, but I wish my other records had transferred over so they had my whole history on file. Going from OMC to Mayo, there was information that was not in my new file and trying to remember it all was hard.
Always friendly and answered my questions when possible.
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
I saw Dr. Coddington after my first 2 losses. I was looking for answers to questions that I hadn't yet received. While some answers were explained, I still had several I never received. He was very caring and easy to talk to. I was just a little frustrated for not receiving answers or getting the outcome I wanted.
I don't quite remember everything, but I tried Chlomid and progesterone suppositories. I had several blood tests, which included a chromosomal test, and check the quantity of my eggs.
My insurance covered a lot.
PCOS, Unexplained
It was easy to set up appointments. They have high quality employees. They were helpful in finding out how much procedures would cost ahead of time. There is a tendency to start to feel like just a number at Mayo since it is such a huge place....They were helpful and had compassion.... She [Dr. Jensen] was so kind, respectful and supportive. We always felt like she had our best interest at heart. After 3 IUI procedures, she made it clear that she would continue them if we wanted
PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
She was very kind and understanding. She made us feel very comfortable and listened.
They were helpful and had compassion.
How was your experience with Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic?
She was so kind, respectful and supportive. We always felt like she had our best interest at heart. After 3 IUI procedures, she made it clear that she would continue them if we wanted, but that it probably wasn't the best course to take. We ended up taking some time away to think things through and ended up getting pregnant!
Be honest and forthcoming with all of your information. It makes it much easier to get the best treatment possible.
We tried Clomid on its own for a few cycles and then 3 IUI procedures.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jani Jensen at Mayo Clinic.
We had insurance that covered our treatments.
Rochester

The clinic [Mayo Clinic] does have some organization issues. Nothing big enough to mess up our cycles but there were some hiccups...There was one mixup with infectious disease testing. They caught it and sent me down for the testing....At the time the consultation was $500. The ivf package with offsite monitoring was $8700...We had a fairly standard protocol on my side. I did end up with ohss the first time so we adjusted the stims for the next cycle. We did have to use icsi for fertilization.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
The clinic does have some organization issues. Nothing big enough to mess up our cycles but there were some hiccups.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gaurang Daftary at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Daftary is a very warm doctor. He enthusiastically greets you with a hug and showed us a great deal of compassion after our failed cycles.
What specific things went wrong at Mayo Clinic?
How was your experience with Gaurang Daftary at Mayo Clinic?
We saw Dr. Daftary primarily for our first cycle. That cycle was a learning curve for all of us and was full of little and big bumps along the way. He never made us feel like we should give up and when we ultimately did get pregnant from our 3rd cycle he was as excited as we were.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gaurang Daftary at Mayo Clinic?
Don't be afraid to ask him questions or call him with concerns.
Describe the protocols Gaurang Daftary used in your cycles at Mayo Clinic and their degree of success.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gaurang Daftary at Mayo Clinic.
Describe Gaurang Daftary's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Mayo Clinic.
All of the doctors at Mayo recommended one embryo for us. When I requested to transfer two the first cycle he was in agreement with my reasons and shared the risks. Ultimately we only had one blast that cycle. We transferred one during round two and then two during round 3. We were given everything we needed to know about the risks but we were in the drivers seat.
Gaurang Daftary
Rochester

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Gaurang Daftary at Mayo Clinic.

2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Some nurses were compassionate and others were not...Serena was a good one...Kari was very sweet...Anna was not compassionate at all and cold towards us when asking questions...They are well organized for most part...Overall compassionate with a few nurses that are not...Providers are good...He [Dr. Charles Coddington] knew what he was doing and seemed skilled and educated...He wanted the same goal for me...He spent time with me and my husband...He was empathetic with the loss of our little girl- stillborn...I had a good experience
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
They are well organized for most part Overall compassionate with a few nurses that are not Providers are good
Both
Some nurses were compassionate and others were not Serena was a good one Kari was very sweet Anna was not compassionate at all and cold towards us when asking questions
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
He showed compassionate He knew what he was doing and seemed skilled and educated He wanted the same goal for me He spent time with me and my husband He was empathetic with the loss of our little girl- stillborn
I had a good experience
With endometriosis he developed a plan for me- I was allergic to birth control pills and he developed a plan that did not include pills
$30k
Na

2013 - 2015
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Daftary [at Mayo Clinic] was amazing. He has a very positive attitude, and is blunt and proactive when it comes to treatment options. I always felt comfortable with him...He always had a smile on his face and a positive attitude. He gave me hugs or patted my hand when he sensed I needed it...I had a successful IVF cycle with ICSI. We did ICSI because there was no logical reason why our medicated TI cycles weren't working so he suspected there might be an issue with my eggs being too tough for the sperm to penetrate. I can't remember the exact drugs and dosages right now.
2013 - 2015
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Gaurang Daftary at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Daftary was amazing. He has a very positive attitude, and is blunt and proactive when it comes to treatment options. I always felt comfortable with him.
Gaurang Daftary