Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
4700 13 Mile Road
Warren, MI 48902
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health to a friend?
1 doctor
Dr. K and the nursing staff [MI Ctr for Fert] are amazing to work with. In fertility is stressful, but they take away the added worry by being so punctual. They know their stuff. Another great thing Is everything is done in the office, bloodwork, retrievals, ultrasounds, HSG, etc....I loved, loved, loved, Dawn and Cathy! They were so informative, compassionate, and on time. They made me feel so comfortable.... We spent aprox. 15k (including meds). That included ultrasounds and tests.
Describe your experience with Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health.
Dr. K and the nursing staff are amazing to work with. In fertility is stressful, but they take away the added worry by being so punctual. They know their stuff. Another great thing Is everything is done in the office, bloodwork, retrievals, ultrasounds, HSG, etc.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carole Kowalczyk at Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health?
Dr. K was so personable. She took time to meet with my husband and I and answer all our questions. It was not a cookie-cutter treatment, all decisions were based up on what we needed. I truly feel like she's in it to make people's dreams come true, not just for the money.
How was your experience with Carole Kowalczyk at Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health?
Dr. K was amazing right from the get-go. I did 8 IUIs with another clinic prior, after that did a consult with Another. I did not click with anybody like I did her. She gives you a feeling of hope and trust. She is confident, but not cocky. She is compassionate and great at what she does. She spent over an hour with my husband and I at our consult because I came with a notebook full of questions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carole Kowalczyk at Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health?
When I hit my low of dealing with infertility, Dr. K gave me hope and in the end she made my dreams come true. I never knew if I would be able to be a baby, and I have 2! She knows what she's doing. This was her calling.
Describe the protocols Carole Kowalczyk used in your cycles at Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health and their degree of success.
I was prescribed Birth control pills to down regulate, Lupron, Low HCG, Gonal F to grow my follies, and PIO prior to retrieval. 9 eggs were retrieved, we opted for a freeze all cycle (per Dr. K's suggestion based upon my blood work). I don't remember off hand the protocol prior to my FET, but it did work! I continued PIO until 11 weeks gestation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carole Kowalczyk at Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health.
We spent aprox. 15k (including meds). That included ultrasounds and tests.
Describe Carole Kowalczyk's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health.
Doctor K. allowed me to transfer 1 or 2, and warned me of all the risks with transferring 2.
Warren
Strengths [of Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health in Warren]-Everyone is extremely helpful, knowledgeable and compassionate. Weaknesses-You will always have to leave a message for one of the nurses, which can make people nervous if they want to talk to someone right away, but they will always call you back the same day, which was reassuring.
Describe your experience with Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health.
Strengths-Everyone is extremely helpful, knowledgeable and compassionate. Weaknesses-You will always have to leave a message for one of the nurses, which can make people nervous if they want to talk to someone right away, but they will always call you back the same day, which was reassuring.
The care that I received from Dr. Kowalczyk and her staff was amazing. I developed real relationships with her nurses and staff. They were always available for any questions that I had and always called me back promptly. I felt as thought I was fully informed on my treatment options and what expectations I should have.
The nursing staff was amazing, if it wasn't for them, none of this would be possible. The nurse that I ended up talking with the most was Barbara. She was so helpful through this entire process, always calling me back and answering all of my questions. She became like a friend to me, who I could depend on and who knew exactly what I was going through. When I finally became pregnant all the nurses that I had contact with were so happy for me. The last time I talked to Barbara it was such a bittersweet moment that I cried. We had been through so much together and she was so happy for me.
What specific things went wrong at Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health?
We met with Dr. Kowalczyk numerous times throughout our time spent being treated at her clinic. She was very straightforward with what was going on with our inability to conceive and what she thought our best course of action was. She was very sympathetic to what we were going through and I truly felt as if she wanted the best for us.
Listen to the expertise and advice that you are being given. When I was going through my first IVF cycle I was at a high risk for over stimulation and Dr. Kowalczyk did not feel comfortable proceeding with the embryo transfer after the egg retrieval due to the medical risks. We opted for a frozen transfer next cycle that would be risk free for me and our potential child.
After going through numerous testing, I was told that I had a thyroid condition and that the shape of my husband's sperm was off, which could make it hard to fertilize my eggs. I was put on medication and told to eat a low carb diet. We were instructed to try IUI's first, it was possible that his sperm just needed a couple more targets in order for us to become pregnant. 1.) IUI's-I was first put on clomid, which ended up making the lining of my uterus thin even though I ovulated 5 eggs. Pregnancy test negative. 2.) The next two IUI's- I was put on letrozole, which unfortunately did not trigger the release of more then one egg in each cycle. Negative pregnancy test. The doctor only wanted to perform 3 IUI's before moving onto another treatment. We were given the option of IVF or other stimulation drugs to be used with IUI. The only problem with not doing IVF was that the other treatments were unpredictable and could result in high order multiples. She was concerned because I am very small (short and thin), which could lead to many health complications. We decided to move forward with IVF. 3.) IVF- The day before the egg retrieval, I was told that my numbers that day were extremely high and I was at risk for over stimulation. We went through with the egg retrieval in which 7 eggs were removed. They were fertilized and we ended up with 5 eggs. We were told that we should proceed with a frozen embryo transfer to avoid further health complications. 4.) Frozen embryo transfer- We transferred 2 eggs and I became pregnant with one embryo. We still have 3 left for future transfers.
My husband and I were lucky enough to have really good health insurance which covered a lot of the costs. The IUI's were $500.00 a piece. The most expensive thing that I paid for out of pocket was the IVF medications, which were between $4,000.00-$5,000.00.
Warren
It's a very relaxing environment [Michigan Center for Fertility] everyone is extremely friendly everyone is extremely welcoming and just the environment is a place where you want to be. I love the fact that it is connected to the office that offers a massage and acupuncture and homeopathic medicine.... Everyone is so welcoming and inviting, everyone knows the struggles that you are facing otherwise he wouldn't be there.
Describe your experience with Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health.
It's a very relaxing environment everyone is extremely friendly everyone is extremely welcoming and just the environment is a place where you want to be. I love the fact that it is connected to the office that offers a massage and acupuncture and homeopathic medicine.
She tried to work with us and out financial needs. She asked our opinions, and what we wanted.
She wanted what we wanted, a successful pregnancy. She gave us options and catered to our financial abilities. She made sure we knew risks when we had multiple follicles, she was empathetic after our chemical pregnancy, and she was very encouraging.
She's very straight forward, blunt, and tell it like it is. I really liked this, I didn't want things sugar coated.
Each medicated cycle started with an ultrasound to make sure that everything was all right. Clomid was given cycle day 5-9, then a follow up ultrasound was done to count the number of follicles and to make sure everything was all right. We were instructed went to trigger, went to have sex, and then came back for a progesterone blood draw, then the following week the pregnancy blood draw. She was very thorough and I felt very safe.
Unfortunately our insurance doesn't cover anything, each monitored medicated cycle including medication cost approximately $600.
Warren
Everyone [at Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health] was very helpful from appointments to billing. The biller sat down with us and explained the cost and coverage and helped with any questions we had along the way as why something was or was not covered...Everyone was willing to answer any questions and explain why things happen in the order that they did. Why certain blood tests and ultrasounds were needed
Describe your experience with Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health.
Everyone was very helpful from appointments to billing. The biller sat down with us and explained the cost and coverage and helped with any questions we had along the way as why something was or was not covered
The doc took the time to explain thing as did the staff. They knew who you were when you came to your appointments and if you had questions they were answered. If you needed to speak to the doc and she was not available there would be a follow up call.
Me and my husband cake to the office after a bad experience with another doc. Dr. Kowalczyk reviewed our chart and said she could do better and she was able to. We already knew our only option was ivf based on both of our factors so she did not push us to try other options prior to starting the process.
Go with an open mind. The office may feel a little different than many it’s more calm and friendly and there are many different support groups and thing to help aid in the process.
I do not remember I know we used a different protocol than previously and things were switched around during the process to taylor the treatment to me and how my body was responding
We paid approximately 12,000 including sperm removal from my husband
None we got to choose what we wanted
2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Other
Everyone [at Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health] took the time to explain what was going on and what the next step would be. Always willing to answer questions and listen...Calm quite atmosphere always felt comfortable for me and my husband when we went in. Hours were very accommodating for work early morning and late night. Very short wait times usually. Wide variety of insurances accepted and help with meds if needed
2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health.
I felt like a human the staff knew who you were and your situation the doctor was always willing to answer questions and allowed us to make the decisions but helped to guide us in the process.
Everyone took the time to explain what was going on and what the next step would be. Always willing to answer questions and listen.
She helped us in every step of the way, we had seen another doctor with negative results and feeling and from the beginning she said she could do better and did. My husband needed sperm extracted and she was able to set that up in the office at the same time as my procedure. If results were not going as planned she changed the medication to see a more positive result.
Go in with an open mind and be up front about everything going on and other experiences they had. She can’t help if you don’t tell the whole story.
I don’t remember exactly I know we did not use the standard protocol of Lupron and gonal-f. She changed things up since I had a slightly high fsh.
We spent about 12k with insurance covering part of the testing
Due to egg quality they suggested we transfer on day 3. Usually on 2 embryos are transferred but there were 3 good embryos and they thought best chance for any of the would be in me so on day 3 were given the option of how many to transfer and we decided on all 3 that looked good.
Warren
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Strength [at Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health]-great staff, qualified and compassionate. The clinic offers group therapy, nutrition, accupunture, massage. Weakness-its a large practice, that is not always a weakness but because of that you don't see the Dr as often for scans and bloodwork...Nursing staff is great, they always get back to you usually the same day to answer questions or go over results.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health.
Strength-great staff, qualified and compassionate. The clinic offers group therapy, nutrition, accupunture, massage. Weakness-its a large practice, that is not always a weakness but because of that you don't see the Dr as often for scans and bloodwork.
I started seeing Dr. K after my doctor (that she had worked with) passed away. She was very sympathetic of our situation, infertility due to my husband's cancer treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health.
Very educated, very good communicator, very compassionate. Only thing I would change is I don't see her as often as I would like, she took over a practice for my previous doctor who passed away, so she is very busy.
Dr. K will not transfer more than 2 embroys for patient safety.
Warren
their [Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health] Lake Orion location didn’t offer many services when we were there as it was newer. I believe these clinics would be better suited to IVF patients versus IUI patients...When we scheduled our initial appointment we knew it was to be with the nurse practitioner. ...we never actually met the doctor [Dr. Kowalczyk]. We were initially handled by the nurse practitioner, then nurses only. While everyone was nice I didn’t feel important to the doctor.
Describe your experience with Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health.
Liked that there were 2 locations. However their Lake Orion location didn’t offer many services when we were there as it was newer. I believe these clinics would be better suited to IVF patients versus IUI patients.
I was a patient for all of 2016, did 4 iui’s (5 planned but one didn’t happen because I ovulated early), and we never actually met the doctor. We were initially handled by the nurse practitioner, then nurses only. While everyone was nice I didn’t feel important to the doctor.
In the almost 9-12 months we were at the practice we never even met Dr. Kowalczyk. When we scheduled our initial appointment we knew it was to be with the nurse practitioner. But assumed sometime before the iui we’d actually get to meet our doctor. I also thought the doctor would at least be present for the initial iui, that was not the case.
Be ready to not meet the doctor