1506 E Broadway
Columbia, MO 65201

2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
I'm not sure how to describe Dr. Wilshire, he's his own person. He is blunt and honest but also compassionate. He has a humorous side when trying to explain treatment options such as thinking of it like a buffet with cheeseburgers being you Clomid all the way up to lobster with IVF. He shows he cares about his patients and even hugged me after the second pregnancy loss. He truly is passionate about his work.
The [Missouri Fertility] clinic as a whole doesn't have any flaws that stand out. It is clean and in an easy to access location. The front desk staff are always friendly and willing to answer any billing or insurance questions...[nurses]They greet you by name with a smile and remember details of your personal life and ask you about you as a person not just the treatment...
How was your experience with Gil Wilshire at Missouri Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gil Wilshire at Missouri Fertility?
Each person is different and their fertility journey is different. There's not one piece of advice I can give. Knowing what I know of I could do it all over I wouldn't have waited so long to seek his services. I would have pushed for more testing including his bumper to bumper surgery sooner than he scheduled it. I would have had more in depth conversations about my options. Don't be afraid to ask questions because he will be honest and explain things on your level.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gil Wilshire at Missouri Fertility?
I truly felt like a human rather than number. The staff were able to remember my name, my husband, ask about my weekend, ask about my job, and remember those details each time I went in. I know they have a chart and appointment schedule but it seems like they truly care about me personally when they ask personal details or checking in on how I'm emotionally handling a pregnancy loss.
Describe the protocols Gil Wilshire used in your cycles at Missouri Fertility and their degree of success.
The first thing Dr Wilshire did for me was blood work as well as semin analysis for my husband and requested I eat high fat and low carbs. My first cycle after testing was Clomid, IUI, and progesterone suppositories with ultrasounds to monitor the follicles. This was unsuccessful. The second round was the same which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. Dr. Wilshire then sat down with us to review treatment options. We changed to Follistim with increased ultrasounds, IUI, and progesterone suppositories. After a couple failed round he met with us again where it was decided to do an exploratory surgery he refers to as bumper to bumper. This surgery did not yield any answers from me or end up changing my treatment options as I continued to be unexplained infertility.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Missouri Fertility.
I love the nursing staff at this clinic. They greet you by name with a smile and remember details of your personal life and ask you about you as a person not just the treatment. They are compassionate especially with how much of a struggle this roller coaster of infertility is.
Describe your experience with Missouri Fertility.
The clinic as a whole doesn't have any flaws that stand out. It is clean and in an easy to access location. The front desk staff are always friendly and willing to answer any billing or insurance questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gil Wilshire at Missouri Fertility.
If i remember correctly it was around $235 for the IUI procedure and what they do with the semin for cleaning and such. Each ultrasound was about $110 or if blood work was also needed then together with the ultrasound close to $170.

2014 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Wilshire can be very blunt and too the point, which I can appreciate in this kind of situation. However, I do not feel that he is open minded to adjusting treatment and retesting based on changes in patient condition or concerns. He is very skilled and knowledgeable, but seems rigid in care.... for all of my IUI's we used a 5 day clomid regimen to produce 2-3 follicles, and a specifically timed insemination in conjunction with hcg injection. I cannot remember the exact medications and order of receiving them for my IVF cycle. But when I originally researched it, it was seemed to be based on the same protocols of many skilled fertility centers.
Over all I do think this clinic [Mid-Missouri Reproductive Medicine and Surgery] does good work, but need to be better at reviewing patient charts more regularly.... When I first started the IVF process, they did not tell me that the protocol and prices had changed from the year before.... They are very caring and compassionate when they understand every aspect of what is happening. They are very skilled and knowledgeable. However, I also feel that they have an approach that is very rigid when it comes to alternative viewpoints.
How was your experience with Gil Wilshire at Missouri Fertility?
Dr. Wilshire can be very blunt and too the point, which I can appreciate in this kind of situation. However, I do not feel that he is open minded to adjusting treatment and retesting based on changes in patient condition or concerns. He is very skilled and knowledgeable, but seems rigid in care. I was also frustrated because i had to order excess medication because they were unprepared for how my ovaries would react to the IVF meds.
Don't take it personally, he is just giving you the facts.
When I first started there as a patient I felt very much like a human, care felt very personal. After my initiation of the IVF process, I felt much more like a number due to the fact that they often forgot to give me necessary information, rushed me through appointments, brushed off concerns, and care was more protocol than personalized.
for all of my IUI's we used a 5 day clomid regimen to produce 2-3 follicles, and a specifically timed insemination in conjunction with hcg injection. I cannot remember the exact medications and order of receiving them for my IVF cycle. But when I originally researched it, it was seemed to be based on the same protocols of many skilled fertility centers. I do know that I was taking IM progesterone, which I became allergic to around my 5th week of pregnancy, right after switching medications is when I MC. It should be mentioned that I asked for an alternate protocol with higher dose steroids for longer period of time because of immune concerns, and was dismissed.
Describe your experience with Missouri Fertility.
They should have done some research before going to the clinic. They should realize that every problem may not be fixable. Over all I do think this clinic does good work, but need to be better at reviewing patient charts more regularly.
I'm not really sure because they didn't review my insurance right before we started, so I want to say the total amount before the review was 14,000 with meds and icsi and freezing. However after they took my new insurance into account the cost was around 6,600. Then there was a little less than 6,000 for PGD testing.
Describe Gil Wilshire's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Missouri Fertility.
They did a very good job of explaining why this is the preferred method for transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Missouri Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Missouri Fertility.
When I first started the IVF process, they did not tell me that the protocol and prices had changed from the year before. They did not go through the financial responsibilities with us prior to starting the treatment. They did not re review my insurance for changes. They did repeat any prior labs for previous conditions that I may or may not have had; or at least they did not report that they did so. And on at least 3 occasions, I was told a prescription had been called in, only to be told by the pharmacy that they had not received it. Each time I had to call the clinic and have them resend it, and then the pharmacy would get it, but at the risk of myself not getting the medication in time. They also failed to inform me that I didn't have to use the pharmacy that they routinely ordered meds from.

2014 - 2017, Unsuccessful
Dr Wilshire was very relatable due to the fact that he struggled with infertility as well. He took time to explain everything and all of our options. He made us feel hopefull but also informed of the not so good possible outcomes.... Dr wilshire explained how important weight and a healthy lifestyle was when dealing infertility so I decided to take a break from treatment and get healthy. I was able to loose 40lbs and concieved naturally in 2016 but I miscarried at 10wks under Wilshire's care. He preformed a D&C and then shortly after he completed another Laproscopic surgery in the beginning of 2017 to remove the endometriosis that had grown back. We completed a 6th IUI with injections but unfortunately it failed.
They [the staff at Missouri Fertility] were very nice and compassionate and wether I was in person or over the phone, they always answered any questions I had. The only weakness would be that they indicated they accepted my insurance prior to treatment and then after several appointments, the day I miscarried, they informed me that they did not take my insurance and all appointments and treatments would need to be paid our of pocket.
How was your experience with Gil Wilshire at Missouri Fertility?
Make sure to do your own research and advocate for any tests or bloodwork you would like done
He was very caring and informative and made sure we understood all possible outcomes.
In 2014 We completely a Laproscopic surgery to diagnose and remove my stage 3 endometriosis. We coukd not afford IVF so Wilshire explained IUI to us as well as the cost. We were given several options as far as medications we could use and chose the cheaper option to begin with which was Clomid. When clomid failed for the 4th time, we moved onto Gonadotropin injections, with another IUI but unfortunately it failed also. Dr wilshire explained how important weight and a healthy lifestyle was when dealing infertility so I decided to take a break from treatment and get healthy. I was able to loose 40lbs and concieved naturally in 2016 but I miscarried at 10wks under Wilshire's care. He preformed a D&C and then shortly after he completed another Laproscopic surgery in the beginning of 2017 to remove the endometriosis that had grown back. We completed a 6th IUI with injections but unfortunately it failed. Wilshire has since reccomended IVF so we are currently trying to save money for IVF.
Very sweet and caring
Describe your experience with Missouri Fertility.
They were very nice and compassionate and wether I was in person or over the phone, they always answered any questions I had. The only weakness would be that they indicated they accepted my insurance prior to treatment and then after several appointments, the day I miscarried, they informed me that they did not take my insurance and all appointments and treatments would need to be paid our of pocket.
One medicated IUI costs around $700-$1000 depending on medication and how many vaginal scans were needed or reccomend which cost $120 per scan. Injections cost $600 and Clomid cost approximately $15.
What specific things went wrong at Missouri Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Missouri Fertility.
They indicated they accepted my insurance at my first appointment and then weeks later which was the day I miscarried, they informed me that they did not accept my insurance and that all appointments and treatments would need to be paid out of pocket
Columbia

He [Dr. Gil Wilshire] was a little to blunt for me, didn't give us good news any time we have seen him. Now that's not his fault, but was hard to hear his brutal truth. Otherwise he's been good in the other stuff, surgery was good and think he has done his job well. I wish he was present a little more during some of the ultrasounds just so we could ask the doc questions instead of the nurses.
The clinic staff [at Mid MO Reproductive Med and Surgery] has been very helpful and patient with answering all of my questions. We have received timely callbacks when calling into the office. Upon arrival to the office, full payment for the days visit is expected each time.... Be patient and call plenty ahead of time because it took awhile to get in to see him.
How was your experience with Gil Wilshire at Missouri Fertility?
He was a little to blunt for me, didn't give us good news any time we have seen him. Now that's not his fault, but was hard to hear his brutal truth. Otherwise he's been good in the other stuff, surgery was good and think he has done his job well. I wish he was present a little more during some of the ultrasounds just so we could ask the doc questions instead of the nurses.
He was involved with almost every process. The whole staff has been soild throughout the whole process
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Missouri Fertility.
Nurses are great, have been the entire time
Describe your experience with Missouri Fertility.
The clinic staff has been very helpful and patient with answering all of my questions. We have received timely callbacks when calling into the office. Upon arrival to the office, full payment for the days visit is expected each time.
800 month for the cheapest IUI treatment and 150 for every ultrasound. 350 for his service for the surgery before insurance was billed.