Midwest Reproductive Center

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
2750 Clay Edwards Dr
North Kansas City, KS 64116
20375 West 151st Street
Olathe, KS 66061
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Midwest Reproductive Center to a friend?
1 doctor
They [Midwest Repro Center] were always great about knowing my name. The front office gal knew who I was and the clinic manager also knew our case. The biggest weakness I see is that they aren’t more up to date with practices outside the realm... I liked that they asked for our insurance up front and gave us a run down on all the expected costs of treatment...I really enjoyed the nursing staff, especially Lauren and Stacy. Kim was great as well.
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
They were always great about knowing my name. The front office gal knew who I was and the clinic manager also knew our case. The biggest weakness I see is that they aren’t more up to date with practices outside the realm. They only use growth hormones if something doesn’t work bc it’s more expensive. I’d rather have the option to know the first go around then to be told we could have done more to make that previous one more successful. I liked that they asked for our insurance up front and gave us a run down on all the expected costs of treatment. What insurance would cover, what they could possibly cover, and what they didn’t and we would have to pay out of pocket. Compared to other clinics they are affordable. They also have payment packages through arc, but that is a different story. Just wish we would have at least made it to the transfer stage.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
Because of my age, they mostly wrote off our expectations of getting pregnant. They used the nation wide statistics to group us into a category.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Midwest Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Johnni for IVF)
I really enjoyed the nursing staff, especially Lauren and Stacy. Kim was great as well. I know Lauren and Stacy have both moved onto other jobs, but all were compassionate and showed interest in our success. Though they didn’t have strong opinions on my direct treatment plan.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
I don’t feel like he is very open with managing expectations. We set into IVF thinking we would have lots of embryos and then none of them made it to blastocyst for transfer. He gave us the standard: “ it’s really hard to say why they didn’t grow at the needed rate”. They knew my AMH was at least half of what it should be when they did my first tests the month we started with them. Then after surgery he said we could do more IUIs or move onto IVF. He also said that “women with endometriosis usually have a decent chance of getting pregnant using IVF”, with no regard to what my particular case was. He may have used a high dose for my stimulation phase, but I was never made aware that I had any beginning follicles for my baseline. Then at my day 8, the nurse freaks me out and says he usually wants 2-3 for retrieval. Now I see we should have sucked up the cost of the stim meds and evaluated our case. A nurse handles the coordination, not the doctor, and that feels a bit off handed to me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
Mange expectations and take a more personalized approach with each patient case. If something is half what it should be for the age group with a complicated medical diagnosis like endometriosis from the beginning, look more in depth and think outside the box for ways to further treatment success. It’s not uncommon for his former patients to say that he wouldn’t deviate from the given treatment plan. I am appreciative that he is willing to add in new meds for this next round and give us a better chance. Also, don’t be so “it couldn’t hurt” with alternative medicine approaches like yoga and acupuncture. The least it will do is relax the patient during treatment.
Describe the protocols Dan Gehlbach used in your cycles at Midwest Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
We used letrozole for all of our IUIs with no change. Each time we had at least 3 follicles and my lining looked good. After the first 2 failed to achieve pregnancy I decided to have surgery in case the pooling shown on my dye test was in deed scar tissue and blocked the eggs from the sperm. Turns out I had much more endo and a lot of scar tissue my obgyn who did my previous surgery to remove an endometrioma did not tell us about. After 4 weeks to heal we did 3 more IUIs, no pregnancy. Then we took a bit of a break during the summer and I requested a beta3 integrin test to see if I lacked a protein that was necessary for implantation. It took over 3 cycles to do it and when I finally had it done, it was so painful that I cried all the way home and took a heavy pain medicine upon arriving at my house. He also tested for endometrial inflammation at the same time and both came back normal. We did 2 more IUIs bc we were told that hybrid cycles weren’t anymore of a guarantee, but they were in the thousands of dollars bc of the injection medication. We did a suppression phase for 3 months with birth control and daily letrozole. I did not have a cycle, but my periods were changing and I once again had a lot more pain each month. We then decided IVF was our best option and saved up money while doing monthly Acupuncture and trying to get healthy for the big process. We signed over the next 6 years of our lives with a 2 cycle package-1 retrieval and 2 transfers each level, meds and labs not included. Everything looked fine until day 8. I was on 225 of meonpur and follistim daily with monitoring every 2-3 days. I used ganirelix for the last 4 days of with a trigger shot 36 hours before retrieval. On day 8 the new nurse freaked me out bc she said that I didn’t have any follicles to size and that he may cancel retrieval bc of that. I had to buy another thing of follistim bc I was told to add another day to the stim phase. I had a total break down bc I was by myself and couldn’t fathom the process failing us so close to our goal.Come that Sunday, thankfully I had follicles to size and we proceeded with retrieval that following Tuesday. I took 2 days off work, they collected 6 mature eggs from 7 follicles and all of them fertilized using ICSI. By day 5 we were worried bc we only had 2 that made it the the morula stage and the other 4 were still behind. On day 6 the embryologist called and said that none of them had made it to transfer. We were devasted and heartbroken. Thankfully it was July 4th holiday and we had a few days off before we had to head back to work.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center.
Each IUI we paid out of pocket for was $380 dollars and then the trigger shot was $90, though they always sent it off to see if insurance would cover it. Most of my labs were covered with the exception of my AMH ($200), Vitamin D ($136) and saline sonogram ($600). I had a copay for most visits of $20-30 dollars bc the doctor was in network. The 2 cycle package we purchased was through ARC and we spent roughly $20,000 on it that included genetic testing (but we have not used that service yet). Interest rate is set for 13-14% and we had an 84 month term. None of the stim meds were covers and we spent $5,600 with an additional $600 for the added med through Avella of STL. My husband and I’s male and female labs were covered under our insurance after a $175 deductible each and a 10%copay after that. For our second round will include the same meds at an increased dosage and more injections with the added Lupron flare protocol. My birthcontrol was only ever $5 for 2 month supply. I had to use coupons to over the letrozole script each time and they ranged from $2-30 dollars depending on dosage and insurance. For my surgery, we spent roughly $200 between copays and scripts for the whole thing— I was covered under 2 insurances at the time. The additional test I requested cost me $700 and there was a small fee for the endometritis test. My initial dye test cost me $96 after insurance coverage.
Describe Dan Gehlbach's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Midwest Reproductive Center.
I believe that the first transfer should be a single. It’s too great of a risk to mother and babies to transfer 2 and have one or more split into quads. I say quality over quantity. A healthy pregnancy is better than a complex one with premie babies and potential complications for the mother.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
[The cost at Midwest Reproductive Center was] 18k for retrieval and first FET...2500$ for each tranfer after. Meds through prescription company...I like That they don’t allow children there. No baby pics nothing to make me feel more down while waiting on appt...he clinic was small which i liked...That the transfers didn’t feel too clinical and cold. It was in the actual clinic...I woild Have appreciated more compassion [from the nurses] after each and every chemical. A follow up call or email would have meant a lot. Once it was over didn’t hear from them until next cycle started
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
I like That they don’t allow children there. No baby pics nothing to make me feel more down while waiting on appt. my new clinic has baby pics all over walls, and allows children. It’s kinda a downer. The clinic was small which i liked. I lije That the transfers didn’t feel too clinical and cold. It was in the actual clinic
He knew our names, and recognized all we had been though as each and every cycle came And went with the same devastating dreaded results ie chemicals 4x
Describe your experience with your nurse at Midwest Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Jonnie )
I woild Have appreciated more compassion after each and every chemical. A follow up call or email would have meant a lot. Once it was over didn’t hear from them until next cycle started
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
I believe he tried to the most of his ability. We had 3 chemical pregnancies and a negative blood test with him. I’m now seeing new doc in my new home state. Dr G might not have been as aggressive as he should have been with being flabbergasted with my repeated chemicals.
As with any RE, YOU ALWAYS have to be your own advocate. Talk to the infertility community, google etc. he’s the doc, but you’ve got to pretend you’re also. Also you only really see him at procedures and transfers
I’ve done 4 transfers with him. To be honest it’s to much to type. One thing that stands out is other docs I’ve consulted with feel i was Overstimulated and it MAY have effected our previous embabies. I’ve had 4 chemicals.. but no one can pin point the primary reason
18k for retrieval and first FET 2500$ for each tranfer after. Meds through prescription company
He was highly set one single our 1st tranfer. Since it was a chemical he allowed us to do 2 the next two tries.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
I don’t feel like the nurse/IVF coordinator [at Midwest Reproductive Center] cared about us as individuals. I felt like she gave us her speil and was ready to move on to the next pt. She was always very abrupt. The paperwork was always very sloppy and unprofessional looking...Having 2 clinics on opposite ends of town was a nice convenience. I feel like their handouts with IVF/calendar was very sloppy.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
Having 2 clinics on opposite ends of town was a nice convenience. I feel like their handouts with IVF/calendar was very sloppy. I felt like we were supposed to fit into their ,old instead of the care fitting into ours.
This was my first experience with a fertility clinic and I didn’t really know what to expect. After it was all said and done I don’t really feel like I got to know the nurses at this clinic or that they got to know me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Midwest Reproductive Center.
I don’t feel like the nurse/IVF coordinator cared about us as individuals. I felt like she gave us her speil and was ready to move on to the next pt. She was always very abrupt. The paperwork was always very sloppy and unprofessional looking.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
Dr. Gehlbach was very personable and nice. He was very straight forward with my fertility diagnosis. After our first treatment didn’t work he suggested we stick with the same plan. That’s when I really felt like the treatment wasn’t being tailored to our specific outcome from the first cycle. I was sent to him due to a tubal problem. Post surgery we were preparing for IVF and found out during the pre testing that I had low ovarian reserve. After the fact I feel like this is something that should have been checked when I walked thru the door the first time.
High dose menopur along with follistim and ganirelix. Used due to my low ovarian reserve. I had seven eggs retrieved, 5 were mature and could be fertalized. Only 3 actually fertilized and only one made it to a five day blast.
Ivf 8,000-9,000 + medication cost 4,000-5,000
Olathe
They [Midwest Reproductive Center] were very cold and distant on the whole. No one ever showed compassion or empathy for what I was going through. It was like a check-up trip to the dentist. I seemed to always get a different one when I went too, and would have to re-explain things to them, which was frustrating. For example, in my second cycle with them, we missed the window for ovulation because they'd scheduled the ultrasound too late. The Clomid was significantly shortening my cycles, and I was ovulating around day 7. This became a recurrent theme- with every new cycle, they would try to schedule my ultrasound around day 13, and I'd have to re-explain that this would be too late for me. During my fifth cycle with them, we missed the window for ovulation again for the same reason, which was incredibly frustrating, especially since I'd told the nurse that I thought it would be too late. One nurse was also particularly inept seeming, taking several tries to get a simple blood pressure reading, and man-handling me in the process. When she went to give me a trigger shot, she was physically pushing me against the patient bed and tugging at my pants to get them down.
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
According to my regular OB, this office has the highest rate of success in the area. But I definitely feel like just a number there, and like there's not really anybody who's in my corner or even particularly cares about me.
No one ever acknowledged the emotional component to dealing with infertility and multiple failed procedures. Once I got a startled, "Why are you crying?" from a nurse when I was tearing up during an appointment from the general stress of it all. The nurse that dealt with me was different almost every time, so I never developed any kind of personal relationship with anyone. Every time I tried to call and ask a question, I always left a message with the machine, which resulted in a long game of playing phone tag.
They were very cold and distant on the whole. No one ever showed compassion or empathy for what I was going through. It was like a check-up trip to the dentist. I seemed to always get a different one when I went too, and would have to re-explain things to them, which was frustrating. For example, in my second cycle with them, we missed the window for ovulation because they'd scheduled the ultrasound too late. The Clomid was significantly shortening my cycles, and I was ovulating around day 7. This became a recurrent theme- with every new cycle, they would try to schedule my ultrasound around day 13, and I'd have to re-explain that this would be too late for me. During my fifth cycle with them, we missed the window for ovulation again for the same reason, which was incredibly frustrating, especially since I'd told the nurse that I thought it would be too late. One nurse was also particularly inept seeming, taking several tries to get a simple blood pressure reading, and man-handling me in the process. When she went to give me a trigger shot, she was physically pushing me against the patient bed and tugging at my pants to get them down.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
At this point in time, I have done 4 IUIs over 6 cycles with Dr. Gelbach's office. I never even met Dr. Gelbach until after the third failed IUI, at which point it's his protocol to bring you in for a discussion of next steps. I did find him knowledgeable and informative at our meeting, but I thought it was crazy that that was the first time meeting him at all. And he never did any part of my procedures or even popped in to say hello and acknowledge that I was a patient.
Ask to have one nurse consistently, or for the doctor to be present. I wasn't proactive enough about it because I'd just assumed there would be some consistency of care.
The nurse that I met at the initial consultation walked me through various tests we could do, but ultimately only recommended a blood work-up and AMH level check for me, all of which came back normal. Without doing any further testing, they recommended Clomid to be followed by IUI. We did 3 rounds of IUI with Clomid, plus 2 cycles of just Clomid because the ovulation was missed. After the third failed IUI, they wanted to schedule a general follow-up with Dr. Gelbach, which as I said, was the first time I'd met him at all. The whole meeting was basically about IVF, which he seemed (seems) to think is the next step. I wanted to try one more round of IUI, which we did, but he switched me to Letrizole for that round.
Each complete round of IUI was approximately $650, with no infertility insurance coverage.
He recommended only ever transferring a single embryo, but I can't recall now what his reasoning was. I do remember it convinced me at the time.
Olathe
Everyone I have dealt with has been so kind [at Midwest Reproductive Center]. I feel like they are very organized. I was given a folder immediately with all the information about cycles and treatment programs. It can be hard to talk to a nurse on the phone but it really varies. Sometimes I would call first thing in the morning and hear back in a couple of hours but sometimes it would take until the end of the day. They are really busy so it is understandable. I did realize they have an online portal where you can email the nurses at anytime. This became my preference for communication. I would usually get an email back within an hour or two.
European, Other
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
Everyone I have dealt with has been so kind. I feel like they are very organized. I was given a folder immediately with all the information about cycles and treatment programs. It can be hard to talk to a nurse on the phone but it really varies. Sometimes I would call first thing in the morning and hear back in a couple of hours but sometimes it would take until the end of the day. They are really busy so it is understandable. I did realize they have an online portal where you can email the nurses at anytime. This became my preference for communication. I would usually get an email back within an hour or two.
Our doctor and nurses took time out of their schedule to be with us. They always came in with the most positive attitude. There were times when I would sit in the waiting room ready to give up but when my doctor or nurse came to get me I was immediately put at ease. They cared about us as patients but as people too. They would ask how my school year was going and about my husbands job. They took time to get to know us and we could not be more grateful.
I cannot say enough great things about the nursing staff. At first I was worried I would be treated like just a number. I was completely wrong. The staff showed the most compassion when I had a miscarriage. They encourage us when we feel defeated. I feel like I leave most appointments laughing or joking with the staff. I do feel like we are treated as individuals and they have really gotten to know us outside of the fertility treatments.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
I have found Dr. Gehlbach to have a great beside manner. He was able to explain things thoroughly but also showed compassion. He seems very strategic in what he does and how he treats each patient. I started to miscarry in the night and I paged him and he immediately called me back. He calmed me down and offered to get me in first thing in the morning. I feel like this is what sets him apart.
To be open to all forms of treatment. If you have questions ask them. The staff at Midwest Reproductive is really there for you.
I started at the office and they ran a few more blood tests and completed the HSG test. After this I did my 4th round of Letrozole with 5mg and was pregnant. Unfortunately, I had a miscarriage. We tried one more round of this dose and intercourse and it did not take. We decided to go ahead and move forward with IUI. Dr. Gehlbach said we might as well up our chances the best we can. We also raised my dosage to 5mg of Letrozole for 10 days. Since this we have completed 5 IUI's all to which have been successful. We are considering at 6th and then we plan to move onto IVF. Most people move on to IVF after 3-4 round but since we have gotten pregnant we figured there is no harm in waiting it out a couple more months.
My only experience has been with IUI. Ultrasounds are around $300 IUI with ultrasound and inesminations are around $650 The IVF procedure with medication is around $15,500
I am not an IVF patient yet, but I do know that Dr. Gehlbach prefers to do a single embryo transfer. He says it is often just as successful over time as transferring two. He also believes he wants a healthy baby and a healthy pregnancy for mom. He wants patients to be successful but also safe. Multiple pregnancies often have higher risks.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
The clinic [Midwest Reproductive Center] isn't that transparent about somethings. For example, I was told that they would do outside monitoring, and then I was told that they wouldn't. When I raised concerns about an elevated FSH level when I first went to the clinic I was dismissed...IVF was quoted as 13k plus meds. Donor eggs were quoted as 20k not including meds or transfer. Each IUI ran about $700 plus meds...The nursing staff is lovely. However, the nurse practitioners provide the vast majority of care, and they generally seem overworked. Additionally, I think they are a bit boxed into pre-designed treatment plans.
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
The nursing staff are nice. Dr. Gehlbach is nice. If your fertility related issues can be resolved with their standard protocols then I think they are a fine place to go. However, they seem to have limited treatment options, and they don't really seem to tailor your treatment to the individual. In the end, I ended up five years after my original consult (and multiple years of treatment) with a diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve and being told that unless I did their donor egg program that they could not help me.
I didn't feel that any of my care was customized for me. However, the staff were very nice.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
I only saw Dr. Gehlbach three times during my treatment. Once during my initial consult, once during an IUI, and then once during an HSG. He was nice when I saw him, but I hardly ever saw him, and I definitely felt like he wasn't really involved in my care. All other care was administered by the nurse practitioners.
That you likely won't work with him directly. He's just the person who does the more complex procedures and writes the scripts.
I did eight IUIs with donor sperm. Every cycle was clomid + metformin and trigger, with an insemination at around 36 hours past trigger. The only other treatment option offered was IVF.
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
The clinic [Midwest Reproductive Center] has two locations (Olathe KS, and north KC office). Major procedures such as egg retrieval, embryo transfer are done at Olathe office....Dr. Gehlbach has a staff of wonderful nurse practitioners that perform the monitoring appointments for IVF/IUI as well as perform the IUI procedures. They are all friendly and caring!...I believe each IUI was ballpark $600. IVF was around $1500 down payment if I remember correctly...
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
The clinic has two locations (Olathe KS, and north KC office). Major procedures such as egg retrieval, embryo transfer are done at Olathe office. I didn't mind seeing nurse practitioners for IUI appointments or IVF monitoring appointments, but I figure that could be a potential draw back for some people who would prefer to see the physician at each appointment. Everyone in his offices are very friendly.
Dr. Gehlbach and his staff always made us feel like they cared. They always addressed us by name and seemed to always know who we were. Dr. Gehlbach remembered every detail of our last treatment, plan, etc every time I saw him, instead of having to look at a computer in front of me to look up that information.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
He was very open with us right from the beginning that IUI probably wouldn't work for us, and recommended we do IVF right away. When I stated I didn't feel comfortable diving right into IVF and wanted to try IUI first, he didn't shame me or make me feel like I was making the wrong decision after he had told me it probably wouldn't work for us (it didn't.) after our first IVF unexpectedly ended in a chemical pregnancy, we sat down and had a meeting as to possible reasons why the cycle had resulted that way. Instead of giving me the "well, sometimes it just doesn't work" speech, he already had a plan of additional testing he suggested to get to the root of the problem. When I also opened up discussion about further testing I was interested in, he was very agreeable to my suggestions. The additional testing we discussed showed diagnoses that were preventing our IVF from being successful. After fixing those problems, our second FET was successful! I had to have a surgical endometrial biopsy and hysteroscopy done as part of the additional testing, and he even gave my husband his personal cell number to call in case I had any complications once we got home after surgery. He is very personable and I really, truly felt like he cared about helping us realize our dream of becoming parents.
Choose him! His office and staff are amazing, from the secretary all the way up to Dr. Gehlbach himself.
Both of our IUIs were with letrozole, with HCG trigger 36 hours beforehand, with 21D progesterone check to ensure I had ovulated. For IVF, his office chooses a freeze-all cycle to minimize risks of complications of OHSS after retrieval to help your body recover to make it a healthy environment to accept embryos. The drugs used for stims were folistim, ganirelex, menopur. (It's been a while since our retrieval, so hard to remember the specifics) I also believe there was one dose of an antibiotic involved before retrieval. Monitoring was every 2-3 days to monitor follicle growth and check e2 levels. Medications were adjusted according to how rapidly e2 levels were rising. For FET, the drugs were baby aspirin daily (taken until first ultrasound confirms heartbeat), estradiol tablets 3x/day (continued through 10 weeks of pregnancy), and closer to/after FET, Progesterone IM shots and crinone vaginal gel (progesterone) daily through 10 weeks of pregnancy.
My insurance does not cover any part of fertility treatments, so most costs were OOP (my insurance would cover lab draws and monitoring appointments, but not the actual procedures). I believe each IUI was ballpark $600. IVF was around $1500 down payment if I remember correctly, $4500 for medications, around $3000 for genetic testing (optional) and we financed around $8000 through ARC that ended up covering both FETs and some additional unforeseen testing
Dr. Gehlbach very strongly preferred single embryo transfer. Our first FET, we chose single embryo transfer (resulted in chemical pregnancy). For our second FET, Dr. Gehlbach very strongly recommended we transfer one embryo again, but said he would be open to transferring two given our history, so we chose two embryos for our second FET.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
[MW Repro Ctr] Strengths - Nursing staff was excellent. Compassionate, seemed to understand when I felt down and out and encouraged me accordingly. Weakness - open, clear and honest communication...it would have been nice to offer discounts/grants to returning patients....[Nursing Staff] Excellent. This is where I saw the most sympathy and empathy...$15,850 (approx) for IVF cycle not including drugs $420 embryo storage
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
Strengths - Nursing staff was excellent. Compassionate, seemed to understand when I felt down and out and encouraged me accordingly. Weakness - open, clear and honest communication. I want to be provided information just as Dr Gehlbach would if he was treating one of his family members. I also imagine that Dr Gehlbach is doing well as a practice and it would have been nice to offer discounts/grants to returning patients.
This was first doctor’s office that could give me answers regarding my failure to conceive. The LPN’s were all fantastic and Dr Gelhbach as well, but when it came to finances, it definitely felt like a numbers game. For something that was so expensive I expected a bit more finesse when it came to that topic.
Excellent. This is where I saw the most sympathy and empathy.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
Dr Gehlbach was nice and straight to the point. What bothered me the most about him was I was scheduled to have fibroids removed and during my surgery he removed my Fallopian tubes without my knowledge or family’s knowledge. This made things a bit rocky but I still trusted his opinion. Also, with the Bravelle recall I felt that he would not have brought up the fact that this potentially added to my failed IVF cycle. I had to mention this issue in order for it to be discussed.
He’s good, but I just wish our conversations weren’t so doctor/patient but friend/confidant.
My first cycle called for Bravelle (pre recall), along with other injectible drugs. When I came in for my retrieval I was told that my hormone levels were too high and that I couldn’t do a fresh transfer. My 10+ eggs resulted in 2 viable embryos. Both embryos were transferred resulting in a negative pregnancy test. With no embryos left to transfer I had to start from scratch. By my 2nd cycle, Bravelle was recalled and Dr Gehlbach replaced that with a different combo of drugs. I don’t recall the names. At retrieval, Dr Gehlbach suggested that I freeze my 5 embryos and transfer at a later date. I transferred 1 embryo which again resulted in a negative pregnancy test. I transferred 2 of my frozen embryos in Sept 2016 which resulted in a singleton pregnancy with live birth in May 2017. I have 2 frozen embryos remaining.
$15,850 (approx) for IVF cycle not including drugs $420 embryo storage
He always suggested 2 embryos for all of my transfers. I agreed.
Olathe
MRC coordinators were super rude and told me to not take any supplements...When I went to the radiology department at the hospital for my HSG, I was one of about 15 women who had the exact same appointment time....The nursing staff was always nice enough. It's the practitioners and doctor I disagreed with....I wasted so much money doing IUIs that would have never worked with my bad eggs. Also, since my eggs were bad and I should have gone straight to IVF, there was no point in spending the almost $1000 on an HSG.
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
Do you own research. You are your own advocate. Do not depend on your "specialist" to make the best decisions for you, especially when they don't do adequate blood tests and blanket treatment their patients. MRC coordinators were super rude and told me to not take any supplements, then my next RE told me to take them for at least 3 months before we could start IVF. Just do you own research and trust your gut.
When I went to the radiology department at the hospital for my HSG, I was one of about 15 women who had the exact same appointment time. Everyone was talking to each other in the waiting room. We were called back one by one -- and the people at the end of the list were getting very annoyed for the long wait.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
I only saw him for my HSG. I was told he reviewed the calls and appointments with the practitioners. I changed REs to another doctor - I saw him at both of my initial consults appointments and would have seen him with every visit.
See another RE. He blanket treatments his patients. He only looked at my AMH to discover I had DOR. He didn't look at my FSH, which was high. I should have NEVER been pushed to do 6 rounds of clomid / 3 with IUIs. I think because of the high clomid use, my AMH dropped from a 0.91 to a 0.31 in a YEAR. This was my precious time that IVF with my own egg could have worked. I should have started with IVF - and he should have tested my FSH to see my egg quality was low.
He treats everyone the same. Makes everyone do several IUIs, if those don't work you have to get an HSG. Then you move on to IVF. I asked them if they had to put me on BCPs for an IVF cycle, because I had read it causes some women with DOR to have worse results. The nurse refused to answer me and told me to make an appointment with a practitioner.
Olathe
It's [Midwest Reproductive Center] clean, efficient, and located right off the highway, which was helpful to me as I traveled a small distance to get there. There is a front desk staffer who was very rigid in her communication and I always dreaded dealing with her, even though I was only checking in with her. Infertility and IVF is just emotionally draining and I felt hyper-sensitive anyway, combined with a rigid and unfriendly front desk person just made for more emotions that I didn't need in that time. The other front desk staffers were wonderful though! It's amazing what a difference one bad egg can make.
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
It's clean, efficient, and located right off the highway, which was helpful to me as I traveled a small distance to get there. There is a front desk staffer who was very rigid in her communication and I always dreaded dealing with her, even though I was only checking in with her. Infertility and IVF is just emotionally draining and I felt hyper-sensitive anyway, combined with a rigid and unfriendly front desk person just made for more emotions that I didn't need in that time. The other front desk staffers were wonderful though! It's amazing what a difference one bad egg can make.
He always came prepared knowing exactly who I was and what our process was, but it was a busy clinic and my appointments did feel rushed at times.
I had a very good experience with all but one nurse who messed up my sonohysterogram. She was new to the location at the time. When she realized she was having trouble and I was in significant pain that I couldn't take much longer she called another nurse in who had to start over but completed it quickly and efficiently. The staff was very apologetic. Even though the first nurse had trouble, I appreciate her problem solving in a timely manner and asking for help rather than trying to do it on her own and making me hurt even more just to avoid admitting that she made a mistake. The nursing staff seems to a good team and helpful to one another.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
He is very intelligent and kind. The entire process and all of the risks were thoroughly explained to both my husband and myself. We felt confident going into our procedures and after our first miscarriage he course corrected and we tried something different which resulted in the live birth of my daughter. He is a problem solver and will not to do the same things over and over expecting a different result. He will tweak things until they are just right for you and your unique situation. If ever I did not want to deal with a nurse or another staff person I could request to talk to him directly and he would always call me back in a reasonable amount of time. It was clear that he is passionate about his work.
Just ask for what you need. He was accommodating to all of our requests but unless you ask or request otherwise he will move forward in the direction he is already planning on.
He recommended freezing all embryos prior to transfer. I do not remember his reasoning behind this. I was on progesterone, baby aspirin, and a vaginal suppository before, during, and after the transfers. We miscarried twins at 8 weeks after my first cycle so he decided to increase and lengthen the medications during and after my second transfer and this resulted in the live birth of my daughter.
Roughly 16k for one egg retrieval and two embryo transfers. There were other costs associated with additional meds and appointments to deal with our miscarriage.
I've only ever done a multiple embryo transfer. I requested transferring three but he recommended only two at the most due to the risks of possible complications with three and stated that based on research transferring three does not improve your chances anymore than transferring two. We trusted his knowledge and judgment and moved forward transferring two.
2008 - 2015
Anovulation, Unexplained
The nurses at MRC [Midwest Reproductive Center] were all competent and compassionate. They were clear with instructions and protocols and we really appreciated that they consulted Dr. Gehlbach with anything out of the ordinary. Jane was a nurse who became the IVF coordinator during our treatment period and I recall how positive and efficient she always was.
2008 - 2015
Anovulation, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
Midwest Reproductive Center is clean, calm and efficient. The staff greets you by name and makes something like dropping off semen seem normal. Everyone was always kind to me - the receptionist, the billing person, the lab tech. I hold this clinic up as the gold standard of doctors' offices. I don't think I ever waited more than five minutes to be called back from the waiting room or ten minutes to be seen in an exam room (five and ten minutes were also rare - the office is run super efficiently). Everyone was always professional even with the highly emotional patients - I know I cried in front of a few and they were so nice about it (and there were always tissues).
Dr. Gehlbach really took time with us at all the appointments we had with him. He was patient and would explain details over again if we needed him to. He must have made notes about us because he always asked about my husband by name and inquired after our hobbies. His bedside manner was both caring and matter of fact. I could also tell that he was careful in who he hired. The sensitivity of everyone, from his receptionist to his bookkeeper and lab techs was evident at all visits. The whole clinic seemed to both celebrate and be sad when treatments did and did not go in our favor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Midwest Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Jane is the IVF nurse. )
The nurses at MRC were all competent and compassionate. They were clear with instructions and protocols and we really appreciated that they consulted Dr. Gehlbach with anything out of the ordinary. Jane was a nurse who became the IVF coordinator during our treatment period and I recall how positive and efficient she always was.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
Dr. Gehlbach was always compassionate, clear and honest with us. We had a diagnosis of unexplained infertility, essentially, so treatments recommended were completely based on what the doctor thought was best. We had an IUI cycle where there were too many eggs near maturity and he made the decision to cancel the cycle - this reinforced that he is a conservative doctor that had my/our best interest and safety in mind. We always felt that Dr. Gehlbach's number one goal was to help us build a family and that he'd do so in a logical, proven manner. He's smart and kind. He's the doctor that I hold up as a gold standard for other doctors.
Listen to his advice. He knows what he's doing. If you have any qualms, ask for patient recommendations.
When we sat down with Dr. Gehlbach, I'd already had a few Clomid cycles with a terrible OBGYN. Dr. Gehlbach ran the appropriate tests to check both me and my husband out and we came up with unexplained infertility. The doctor developed a four step plan that we stuck to over the next four years - I think I still have the handwritten plan somewhere. After the testing, with the knowledge that Clomid alone hadn't worked, we did a number of IUIs. Those were highly monitored, we used Clomid and femara, and we were keeping a close eye on sperm counts. Those were picture perfect, but didn't work. We did a laparoscopic surgery to rule out endometriosis or any other impediment to pregnancy. It went well, but not much was found (a tiny bit of endo). Lastly, the doctor suggested IVF and we waited a bit, but IVF is not only a means to a pregnancy, but it's also a great diagnostic tool since the conception process occurs outside of the body. We were incredibly lucky to achieve a pregnancy with our first IVF cycle and transfer. We also had embryos to freeze and did so. When we were ready to add to our family, we attempted a FET cycle that ended with a negative pregnancy test. With that result, Dr. Gehlbach altered the protocol to include an endometrial biopsy that gave us another pregnancy with our second FET. We are now the parents of two beautiful sons thanks to Dr. Gehlbach and his staff at Midwest Reproductive Center.
I've been with two different insurances and one covered 50% of diagnostic testing and the other covers nothing related to infertility. I think that IUIs cost us about $250/each, including ultrasound monitoring, not including medications. Semen analysis was $150. I can't remember what the testing, HSG or laparoscopic surgery cost, but my insurance covered all at 50%. Our first IVF cycle cost about $12k - we declined genetic testing. Both FETs cost between $4500-5k. There were a lot of other incidentals and I was able to use funds from both a flexible spending account and then a health savings account (pretax dollars, some employer contributed).
2008 - 2014
I thought it [Midwest Reproductive Center] was great. You are not allowed to bring children or babies of any age to the appointments out of consideration for those who are struggling with fertility issues. When I had an early miscarriage, the nursing staff must have been told by Dr. Gehlbach not to approach me as I left the office, which I greatly appreciated. I did not have to check out or talk to anyone that day as I left the office.
2008 - 2014
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
I thought it was great. You are not allowed to bring children or babies of any age to the appointments out of consideration for those who are struggling with fertility issues. When I had an early miscarriage, the nursing staff must have been told by Dr. Gehlbach not to approach me as I left the office, which I greatly appreciated. I did not have to check out or talk to anyone that day as I left the office.
Dr. Gehlbach was very attentive and personable. I really liked him! When I was under his care, he gave me a phone number at which he could be reached at any time of the day. Once we called him very late at night and he answered the phone and answered our questions. When I had to go to the ER late at night due to ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, Dr. Gehlbach met me at the hospital and was there again in the morning. He was very kind and reassuring and took excellent care of me. When he was away on vacation with his family, he called me every day to see how I was doing. I couldn't be happier with the way I was treated. He was warm, personable, kind, thorough, and clear. I highly recommend him!
The nursing staff seemed professional and competent. The nurse who showed us how to do the shots was great. The nurses I dealt with were all kind and nice to work with.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
As I said, I was highly satisfied with my experience as a patient of Dr. Gehlbach. He was clear and thorough in explaining everything to us. He treated us with compassion and respect. He was warm and kind and caring. He was always there for us when we needed him. He was excellent!
Make sure you are very clear in the acceptable number of eggs retrieved and fertilized. I am not sure if this is negotiable or not because doctors always want to go for the highest success rate. I happened to be very fertile and ended up with 25 eggs that translated into 9 embryos available for transfer and this was a source of worry for me as I did not want any of my embryos destroyed or adopted out. In the end, we ended up with one set of twins and one singleton using all 9 of our embryos, so that was a perfect result for us. However, if you are only trying for one or two children, that might be too many eggs/embryos for you. Just be sure to have this discussion beforehand, particularly if you do not feel comfortable discarding or donating your embryos.
3/08 – Initial consultation with Dr. Gehlbach 4/08 – First semen analysis (to determine if low sperm count was the problem) 5/08 – Husband’s initial blood work (test for HIV, Hepatitis, etc.) 5/08 – Second semen analysis 5/08 – Second meeting with Dr. Gehlbach 6/08 – Third semen analysis 7/08 – Wife’s initial blood work 8/08 – Bought first medication (Baby aspirin, which I had to take once a day until after conception, and a birth control pill, which they used to regulate my cycle in preparation for IVF) 9/08 – Husband met with doctor for semen analysis consultation; purchased IVF package from company called ARC (package included some IVF procedures and some meds); 9/08 – Appointment with Dr. Gehlbach 10/08 – Saline sonogram; this was also the day the nurse showed us how to do all the different kinds of shots, so we both had to go to this appointment 10/08 – More blood work (they repeat it when you’re about to start IVF) 10/08 – Started first shots (subcutaneous Lupron) 10/08 – Stopped birth control pills 11/08 – Started second shots (subcutaneous Bravelle) and adjusted first shots (Lupron) 11/08 – First pre-conception ultrasound 11/08 – Second pre-conception ultrasound 11/08 – Third pre-conception ultrasound; did subcutaneous “trigger shot” (Ovidrel) 11/08 – Embryo transfer (2 embryos transferred); started the inter-muscular shots (Progesterone) 11/08 – Embryo transfer follow-up 11/08 – Wife admitted to ER for ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome (OHSS), put on complete bed rest 11/08 – Blood test shows possible pregnancy 11/08 – Pregnancy confirmed 11/08 – Released from hospital; started subcutaneous Lovenox shots (to prevent blood clots caused by inactivity) 11/08 – Wife admitted to ER again for OHSS 11/08 – Released from hospital 12/08 – Met with Dr. Gehlbach for first post-conception ultrasound (twins confirmed); taken off of complete bed rest (still not allowed to drive or work) 12/08 – Second post-conception ultrasound (fraternal twins confirmed) 12/08 – Allowed to start driving again and return to work 12/08 – Third post-conception ultrasound; stopped the Lovenox shots 1/09 – Last day of Progesterone shots 1/09 – Fourth post-conception ultraound 1/09 – Last day of Prometrium pills 2/09 – Fifth post-conception ultrasound 3/09 – Sixth post-conception ultrasound (two boys confirmed) 3/09 – Admitted to hospital for abdominal pain (dehydration); seventh post-conception ultrasound confirmed twins were doing fine 3/09 – Eighth post-conception ultrasound 7/09 - Healthy full-term twins delivered
Dr. Gehlbach was a godsend in this area. We initially wanted 3 embryos transferred but he talked us into 2. We ended up having twins and were very glad we had listened to the doctor and avoided a higher potential for triplets. We discussed the number of embryos to transfer at every stage and we agreed with the doctor each time.
2011 - 2014
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
[Midwest Reproductive Center] Strength: they don't allow kids in there and wait times are minimal. Blood work team is pretty skilled at finding veins too. Some issues with front desk lady knowing my copay or handling my billing, but it was eventually sorted out...The nurses are incredibly amazing. The best in their field....They sent my office visits to my insurance as just doc visits and then only charged $250 for semen analysis and similar things that other places charged $500 or more
2011 - 2014
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
I definitely felt like a human most of the time. He remembered details about me and my husband and never made me feel rushed with my many questions. Occasionally he would push IVF, but never in a way that made me feel uncomfortable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Midwest Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: JOHNNI KILTON )
The nurses are incredibly amazing. The best in their field.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
Dr. Gelbach is incredibly smart. Even though I had several failed IUI treatments with successful ovulation, he fixed my fertility issue with a diagnostic surgery and it resulted in a natural pregnancy for me. He was caring and a good listener, but primarily filled us with confidence without fluffing up expectations too high
Go in with questions and be ready for straight answers. He will take care of you, but it will be a process
Started with Clomid for 3 months because I wasn't ovulating regularly. My body didn't respond at all, so got on Follistim and started responding well. Did 5 IUI's and they all failed, even after clear HSG. Finally, upgraded my diagnosis to unexplained infertility, which was hard, but did a diagnostic laproscopic surgery where he found and removed adhesions on my ovaries and mild endometriosis. I was pregnant on my own within a year. He also put me on Metformin for PCOS and I began ovulating on my own...
Costs were relatively low compared to other places. They sent my office visits to my insurance as just doc visits and then only charged $250 for semen analysis and similar things that other places charged $500 or more
Olathe
I think each IUI [at MW Reproductive Center] is about $600 (w/o insurance) and IVF is about $16,000 and additional FET is about $3,000 each try...you'll get to know the nurses and staff a lot more than Dr. Gehlbach, so try to schedule all your appointments with the same nurse to keep it personal, if possible!...I have loved the nursing staff at the smaller location. It is usually the same two people so we've gotten to know each other well.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
We haven't seen much of Dr. Gehlbach as all of our IUIs have been done by the nurses. He was there for the ultrasounds of our one pregnancy/miscarriage and was very sympathetic. We also just had the IVF chat with our nurse and had some input from him too, he answered all of our beginning questions
That you'll get to know the nurses and staff a lot more than Dr. Gehlbach, so try to schedule all your appointments with the same nurse to keep it personal, if possible!
We are still on the IUI method for all the tests we've done, we only have one bad male factor (morphology) but every other number is fantastic. Dr. Gehlbach and staff were pretty sure we'd get pregnant easily with IUIs and we did get pregnant with our first IUI attempt. Sadly, it ended in a miscarriage at 9 weeks (passed it naturally at 11 weeks) due to what we are assuming as a chromosomal abnormality. We were hopeful that we would easily and quickly get pregnant again with another IUI attempt but now 5 more attempts later, we are still not pregnant and looking to start IVF soon.
I think each IUI is about $600 (w/o insurance) and IVF is about $16,000 and additional FET is about $3,000 each try
My Doctor has recommended that they only do a Frozen eSET instead of multiple for the health of mom and baby and to keep it as natural as possible
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
The nursing staff is terrific [at Midwest Reproductive Center]. Kind and compassionate without being unrealistic. My only criticism is that because you primarily work with the nursing staff it always feels like your care needs to fit into a standardized box. This doesn't work if you don't fit into their prescribed box.... Communication isn't great with the receptionist and admin staff. Staff who manage payment options quit slow at following up with details. Everyone is nice, but be expected to have to redo forms and wait to get payment information.
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
The nurse practitioners were awesome. I rarely saw Dr. Gelbach.
The nursing staff is terrific. Kind and compassionate without being unrealistic. My only criticism is that because you primarily work with the nursing staff it always feels like your care needs to fit into a standardized box. This doesn't work if you don't fit into their prescribed box.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
I can't really describe him. While I've been treated by Midwest Reproductive in 2017, the last time I saw Dr. Gehlbach was in 2013. I never had a negative experience with him. He wasn't memorable either positively or negatively. He hires great nurses.
Don't expect to see him regularly. He's got a great group of nurse practitioners.
I did oral fertility meds (clomid) and IUIs. The only other treatment option offered me after those failed was IVF, which at the time didn't work for me. When I went back in 2017, I was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reverse it was recommended I use donor eggs.
Monitored IUIs with one ultrasound was $675. IVF was quoted at about 12k plus meds.
Not applicable.
2008 - 2012
Everyone [Midwest Reproductive Center] in the office was very kind and sensitive to my feelings surrounding this stressful and emotional time in my life.... I think each cycle was around $400-$500. Insurance did not cover most costs. Payment was due at the time of treatments.... He [Dr. Gehlbach] was very kind and thorough with my diagnosis, explained in detail the procedures, risks and plan for treatment and was understanding when I experienced disappointment or frustration.
2008 - 2012
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
Be prepared for the high cost of procedures. This is not a situation to enter into lightly. It is costly and stressful. When I was a patient the staff was friendly and understanding of the emotional experience.
Everyone in the office was very kind and sensitive to my feelings surrounding this stressful and emotional time in my life.
I don’t remember much about the nursing staff. I do remember them being friendly and kind.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
He was very kind and thorough with my diagnosis, explained in detail the procedures, risks and plan for treatment and was understanding when I experienced disappointment or frustration. He also performed the sonogram that revealed my husband and I were pregnant with twins! One of the happiest days of my life!
This may be one of the hardest journeys of your life but don’t give up believing that a miracle will happen.
Dr. Gehlbach started with a procedure to check that my Fallopian tubes were clear of any blockages. He prescribed metformin and clomid to start. These were the drugs used for 3 cycles with IUI. When these drugs resulted in varying results, some with follicles and some with out, Dr. Gehlbach prescribed Letrizol instead of clomid. After 2 cycles with Letrizol and IUI I became pregnant with twins.
We did not transfer embryos, but Dr Gehlbach did warn me that if there were more than 3 follicles present before IUI procedure, he would not perform the IUI. We were free to try on our own, but risk of multiples (triplets or more) was not something he would risk.
Olathe
In the beginning over the phone, the office staff [at Midwest Reproductive Center] was great. Was told consultation would be a meet and greet, labs, and ultrasound. We didn't meet the doctor until day of procedure, office staff was a bit rude, we felt we were pushed towards another avenue with nursing staff, no ultrasound. Office staff may be little bit untrained with information given and what actually happened. Nursing staff has been great there on out. Always on top of correspondence, answering questions, and lab work results. Dr was great day of procedure. Felt like I was in great hands. Had an issue with hospital billing and insurance lady, in office, straightened it out for me. Overall good.
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
In the beginning over the phone, the office staff was great. Was told consultation would be a meet and greet, labs, and ultrasound. We didn't meet the doctor until day of procedure, office staff was a bit rude, we felt we were pushed towards another avenue with nursing staff, no ultrasound. Office staff may be little bit untrained with information given and what actually happened. Nursing staff has been great there on out. Always on top of correspondence, answering questions, and lab work results. Dr was great day of procedure. Felt like I was in great hands. Had an issue with hospital billing and insurance lady, in office, straightened it out for me. Overall good.
Some office staff during consultation. Great on phone prior.. Maybe just bad day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Midwest Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Joni )
Nursing was very informative however felt like they pushed us one way...
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
He is very good. Very down to earth and doesn't speak over your head. He makes information and issue understandable. He is respectful and ensures adequate information is given. He allows for several options and ensures it's the coupled decision and not forced upon.
Stick with your gut and what you believe in.
$15,000 tubal ligation reversal
2011 - 2017
Scheduling of appointments [Midwest Reproductive Ctr] was fairly easy and the wait for getting an appointment is not terrible. You do have to wait a litttle longer if you want to see Dr Gehlbach instead of his nurse practitioner.... The cost is pretty typical with any place you would go for infertility treatment. We have seen 3 doctors for our infertility and paid the same with Dr Gehlbach... [Nursing Staff] From what I remember they were all great and we didn’t have any issues.
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
Scheduling of appointments was fairly easy and the wait for getting an appointment is not terrible. You do have to wait a litttle longer if you want to see Dr Gehlbach instead of his nurse practitioner.
He was always available to talk and was really honest about our outcome and the chances of us conceiving.
From what I remember they were all great and we didn’t have any issues. If we called they would return our calls and answer any questions we may have had
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
Dr Gehlbach was so understanding and willing to listen to our concerns. He was honest and truly cared about us. He explained our chances of conceiving just so we we were aware that there was a chance that IVF may not work on the first round.
He is very honest and is willing to listen to all your concerns
It has been 6 years since we have had an IVF so I do not remember all the drugs that were give during that time but know I didn’t have any trouble with anything and I had a day by day list of what needed to be done and phone call reminders
I did have 3 good embryo transfers and he did recommended that I only transfer 2 because I could end up with triplets but we did all three because it didn’t matter to us how many we had.
2014 - 2017
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
The nursing staff [at Midwest Reproductive Center] is really great. I don't feel like just a number there. They make me feel comfortable and reassure me during the tough times. I do not have anything negative to say about them. They are very organized and easy to get a appointment with. I'm able to express my concerns and feel comfortable.... They are easy to work with. Appointments are very easy to get into. They are very good at communicating what is going on and results. They entertain ideas that I have had to try different things.
2014 - 2017
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
I felt like a human because him and his staff gave me the care I wanted. They are very friendly and give me all the option and do not give up.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Midwest Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Johni Kilton)
The nursing staff is really great. I don't feel like just a number there. They make me feel comfortable and reassure me during the tough times. I do not have anything negative to say about them. They are very organized and easy to get a appointment with. I'm able to express my concerns and feel comfortable.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
He analyzes your background history and does his best to give you the best care you can. He also tries to be realistic. My experiences have been great and he always explained things in great detail. He tries everything we can before going to the extreme.
Be prepared for things to not go your way. The body has a mind of its own!
We used femara and IUI. We also used follistim injectables with IUI.
IUI-$275 My insurance paid for prescriptions and ultrasounds so I had a co pay.
My doctor did tell me the risks of transferring multiples and ultimately left the decision up to me even though we ended up not pursuing IVF in that time.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
This clinic [Midwest Reproductive Ctr] has some of the most experienced and knowledgeable staff in the Kansas City area. They are up-to-date on the latest research and procedures. The biggest challenge with this group is the cost.... The costs were significant, although the clinic provided us with discounts on medications and financing options.... He [Dr. Gehlbach] discussed the order in which we would do treatments in great detail.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
This clinic has some of the most experienced and knowledgeable staff in the Kansas City area. They are up-to-date on the latest research and procedures. The biggest challenge with this group is the cost.
He really did a good job handling us with respect and care
Describe your experience with your nurse at Midwest Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Jayne Nash)
Do not remember as procedures were performed nearly 6 years ago
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
He is a very knowledgeable and trustworthy doctor. He explains procedures thoroughly, but in caring and respectful manner. He understands the families coming to see him are often doing so as a last resort and he does a great job explaining the statistics so as to temper expectations.
Just be honest and upfront and he’ll do the same
He discussed the order in which we would do treatments in great detail. He discussed that we would attempt one IUI prior to going through the medication injectable steps before IVF. After these attempts were unsuccessful, he laid out our options for future trials
Unsure if used
Olathe
The clinics staff [Midwest Reproductive Clinic] were very friendly and compassionate. I can't complain about how the clinic is set up or the staff....They [Nurses] were who I dealt with any time I came in. They showed a lot of compassion and were very friendly....Gehlbach seems like a good doctor. He is willing to try different things but it's almost like you have to suggest it...The whole infertility process is frustrating since they don't do much investigating unless you are going in for IVF which we weren't ready for at the time.
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
The clinics staff were very friendly and compassionate. I can't complain about how the clinic is set up or the staff.
Treatment seemed like it was up to me what was done rather than how do we maximize our chances. As I'm not a medical doctor, it shouldn't be on my shoulders.
They were who I dealt with any time I came in. They showed a lot of compassion and were very friendly.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
Gehlbach seems like a good doctor. He is willing to try different things but it's almost like you have to suggest it rather than the Clinic. The whole infertility process is frustrating since they don't do much investigating unless you are going in for IVF which we weren't ready for at the time. It would be helpful if they did look into the causes so you know whether or not IVF has a decent shot of working. I had to suggest blood tests and surgery when I started having pains.
Only go here for IUI
The strategy was basically to use oral meds with IUI. I felt like the IUIs were done too early at times and not timed properly. I pretty much decided whether we'd use Clomid or Letrozole. After three cycles of using meds, they brought me in to tell me I'd need IVF.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
They [Midwest Reproductive Center] are always on time which is WONDERFUL!!! And they are responsive with returning calls. Also, when I have complications, Dr G even gave me his cell number so I could bypass the answering service.... Our insurance covered a lot, but their out of pocket costs were compriable to other local clinics. The nurses also always had good info on where to get discounted IVF drugs.
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
They are always on time which is WONDERFUL!!! And they are responsive with returning calls. Also, when I have complications, Dr G even gave me his cell number so I could bypass the answering service.
He seemed to genuinely care and was always so patient in answering all our questions.
Love his staff! Each nurse has a slightly different demeanor, but they all genuinely care about you as a person.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
He is very knowledgeable and good at what he does. He is a great listener and very patient. However, he goes more with proven methods vs expirimental methods. He is open to expirimental methods though if you are.
None.
He prefers eSET because multiples are high risk. However, he will transfer more than 1 if you feel strongly.
Olathe
No weaknesses [at Midwest Reproductive Center]. Everything there was wonderful. They are fast with results and getting back to any calls and emails. Any appointment I went to they would go over any and all details with me. Helped me understand everything...They [nurses] cared so much and answered any questions...Every person that saw us showed so much compassion, even when it was a blood draw. They listened and gave us their honest opinions.
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
No weaknesses. Everything there was wonderful. They are fast with results and getting back to any calls and emails. Any appointment I went to they would go over any and all details with me. Helped me understand everything.
They cared so much and answered any questions.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
Dr. Gelhbach has so much care for his patients. He is kind and knows when to be funny and serious. He made us feel at home and would talk for however long we needed. He explained a lot to us that we had no idea of.
Trust him. He never doubted us.
We did 3 rounds of IUI's using clomid. All 3 failed. We then started IVF, I believe it was 8 or 9 days of Gonal F, Cetrotide and Menopur. H
We had REALLY good insurance and only paid roughly $6000 for meds and procedures.
He prefers to transfer 1 embryo. I'm thankful we only did 1 because we miscarried first one then got pregnant with second.
2010 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
Lots of different test where done [at Midwest Reproductive Center] after this [a miscarriage] to see if we could find out causes of miscarriage. I tested positive for chronic endometritis & I wish this would have been tested before I did my first round of ivf...Dr Gehlbach has been wonderful & is extremely kind & passionate. My frustration is you never see him unless it's a procedure. I also wish all tests were done at the beginning. Obviously someone is struggling with infertility if they go there & I don't like the fact that they dont perform lots of test before you start ivf. I'll use myself as example. Have been trying to get pregnant for 14 yrs & had 1 miscarriage before we started ivf. We did round if ivf last summer & I became pregnant. At around 8 weeks I miscarried again.
2010 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
Dr Gehlbach has been wonderful & is extremely kind & passionate. My frustration is you never see him unless it's a procedure. I also wish all tests were done at the beginning. Obviously someone is struggling with infertility if they go there & I don't like the fact that they dont perform lots of test before you start ivf. I'll use myself as example. Have been trying to get pregnant for 14 yrs & had 1 miscarriage before we started ivf. We did round if ivf last summer & I became pregnant. At around 8 weeks I miscarried again. Lots of different test where done after this to see if we could find out causes of miscarriage. I tested positive for chronic endometritis & I wish this would have been tested before I did my first round of ivf.
Ask lots of questions. It's their job to explain every step for someone new to the process especially since it's overwhelming.
Insurance paid nothing so I was self pay.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor
Billing [at Midwest Reproductive Center] was not pleasant to work with, even though paid in full. I'm very glad that no children were allowed at the clinic. Lab was supposed to send blood to Quest to be covered 100% by insurance, and didn't do so, even though I had presented my lab card during treatments. Leaving me with large patient responsibility...Nurses in both office locations were always aware of history and organized during every visit.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
Billing was not pleasant to work with, even though paid in full. I'm very glad that no children were allowed at the clinic. Lab was supposed to send blood to Quest to be covered 100% by insurance, and didn't do so, even though I had presented my lab card during treatments. Leaving me with large patient responsibility.
During care, staff always greeted us personally and professionally.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
Dr. was straightforward and informative, but always very kind and compassionate. He was our third reproductive endocrinologist, and a had a completely different demeanor than the others we was first. He was sincerely focus on our success, offering many options.
Be patient and follow his protocol.
We tried EVERYTHING before Dr. G implanted embryos donated to us by another couple.
Tens of thousands over the period of time seen
He gave us the option to implant our two frozen embryos or try one at a time. Prior to that, we had elected to implant multiples (2). He fully explained risks of doing so and preferred no more than 3.
Olathe
The waiting area [at Midwest Reproductive Center] is very clean and calming environment. Midwest reproductive works with ARC fertility financing to help couples to be able to afford care more easily. The nurses I met with were very helpful and knowledgeable about all my options and the processes.
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
The waiting area is very clean and calming environment. Midwest reproductive works with ARC fertility financing to help couples to be able to afford care more easily. The nurses I met with were very helpful and knowledgeable about all my options and the processes.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
He made me feel comfortable, performed surgery to try to open up and repair my fallopian tubes, which he felt were beyond repair. I trusted his opinion, and he removed my tubes. Now my husband and I are finally deciding to try ivf to expand our little family
Olathe
Office staff [at Midwest Reproductive Center] is horrible. And they will make you feel misrable if you are a self pay. When calling to make an appoinment nine times out of ten you have to have them call you back and when they do almost all the time they don’t leave a message...[nurses are] Very caring and wanting to make sure that you understand everything...They were very through and wanted to make sure that I felt comfortable and that I understood everything
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
Office staff is horrible. And they will make you feel misrable if you are a self pay. When calling to make an appoinment nine times out of ten you have to have them call you back and when they do almost all the time they don’t leave a message
Describe your experience with your nurse at Midwest Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Johni kilton)
Very caring and wanting to make sure that you understand everything.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
He is a great doctor but is very busy so you see his nurse practitioners more than him and I wish he had seen me more. But on our first visit he gave us his cellphone number Incase we needed to reach him and he wasn’t in the office
Ask questions!
Letrozole w/IUI Clomid w/IUI
Olathe
[Midwest Reproductive Center] Organized and always prepared for us. Never had to wait long in the lobby...NP, Lauren, listened to my concerns and made us feel at ease even during the difficult times....We live 3 hours away from the clinic. Lauren was always quick to respond to any patient portal messages and made us feel at ease at every visit....I only saw Dr. Gelbach once during a procedure. All other visits were with his NPs. ...out of pocket for iui's. A little under $1,000 each time.
European, Other
Describe your experience with Midwest Reproductive Center.
Organized and always prepared for us. Never had to wait long in the lobby.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Midwest Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lauren )
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
I only saw Dr. Gelbach once during a procedure. All other visits were with his NPs. He explained things through the procedure. He tried asking general conversation questions to distract me from the pain but that didn't help.
Take as much information to your first appointment and have a prepared list of questions
out of pocket for iui's. A little under $1,000 each time.
We never got to embryo transfer.
Olathe
They got to know me, and listened to me talk about my family...They seemed very interested in me and as eager as I was to find out the result of my treatment.
They got to know me, and listened to me talk about my family. During the initial consultation, they really took the time to learn about what we had already tried and what we were interested or not interested in pursuing. At the conclusion of my treatment, I received a handwritten card from the doctor as well as a onesie for the baby.
How was your experience with Dan Gehlbach at Midwest Reproductive Center?
Dr. Gehlbach has a quiet, serious personality. He seems very focused and intelligent.