Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling is not offered: Not OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication is not offered: Not Offered
500 N. Keene Street
Columbia, MO 65201
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility to a friend?
2 doctors
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, PCOS
There was a newer front desk person, Vanessa maybe, that didn't seem to have any answers whenever I called to check in [at MO Center for Reproductive Med]. Maybe that has since improved. I preferred to email the nurses directly. They have expanded their providers, which is great, due to the need for this medical experience in the area. They were usually very punctual and the clinic was clean and comfortable.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, PCOS
Describe your experience with Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility.
There was a newer front desk person, Vanessa maybe, that didn't seem to have any answers whenever I called to check in. Maybe that has since improved. I preferred to email the nurses directly. They have expanded their providers, which is great, due to the need for this medical experience in the area. They were usually very punctual and the clinic was clean and comfortable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Danny Schust at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
Dr. Schust was not only very intelligent and knew all of the most current research based evidence, but he spent so much time with us on our initial visit and I never felt rushed at any appointment. He drew diagrams, he answered all questions, and he even made it a point to help me feel less guilt over my miscarriages. His calm demeanor and bedside manner were top-notch and I felt like he had a true passion for his job.
Christy was awesome, very compassionate and a good communicator. Deanna was an amazing US tech.
How was your experience with Danny Schust at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
Dr. Schust got information back to me from lab results/pathology on days that I knew he wasn't even in his office. He spent over an hour with us at our consultation and helped me to understand every test we would be performing due to my recurrent pregnancy losses. He was kind and understanding and he had an answer to every question I had. I've read research papers of his and the man is extremely intelligent. It's pretty amazing to come across that type of intelligence along with a wonderful personality. I can't even imagine working in this field as the common (for good reason) anxiety from patients would be overwhelming to me. I truly hope that Dr. Schust is training doctors and residents in this field so his knowledge is shared and everyone can strive to be as good as he is. I only wish he could be my OB, too, as I was not ready to leave his care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Danny Schust at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
Go to him, you won't regret it.
Describe the protocols Danny Schust used in your cycles at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility and their degree of success.
I saw him more for RPL than infertility. We did several blood tests, a hysteroscopy, a total of 3 endometrial biopsies and I was treated for 30 days with antibiotics for chronic endometritis. I then took clomid, Started progesterone around day 18 of my cycle (or 3 days after positive ovulation predictor kit), and continued vaginal progesterone for about 12 weeks. I was fortunate enough to become pregnant with twins on the first try. He also stated that the biopsies were similar to endometrial scratching, which was shown to help the chance of pregnancy. Maybe it did.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Danny Schust at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility.
Costly for testing for RPL ($2000), but this was not a surprise to us.
Danny Schust
Columbia
When we called to reschedule our retrieval time [at MCRM], Rachel was very rude - I have not spoken to her directly since as I began communicating with a different coordinator after that exchange....here were a few routine business office matters that were pretty frustrating, including issues with insurance...The discounts are OK - but very limited. I would personally like to see a needs based discount for couples with low income to allow those of us with a subsistence income to have the chance to have a baby too.
Overall, MCRM is a marketing machine that is attempting to grow their clinic and attract new patients. They do offer relatively low prices and are interested in using newer technologies to improve success. I do think they believe they are doing good for people, however, it is hard to understand how any clinic can excuse charging such high prices to cash pay patients while giving huge discounts to insuranced patients (through their agreements with the insurance companies) but this is an industry-wide issue not specific to MCRM. Dr. Ahlering is knowledgable and wants a good outcome for his patients. Even so, they are actively building on to their facility with new construction, etc. The discounts are OK - but very limited. I would personally like to see a needs based discount for couples with low income to allow those of us with a subsistence income to have the chance to have a baby too.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Peter Ahlering at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
We had specifically requested a later retrieval because my husband has had a demonstrably lower count/quality in the mornings. We had also discussed a Sunday retrieval with Dr. Aubuchon (we saw her for our pre-retrieval appointment instead of Dr. Ahlering because he was busy). After this appointment we were scheduled for the very first 7 am appointment on Saturday. When we called in to ask why and how to get this changed, we were basically told that they could not and would not change it - like it or lump it! - and that they had 70 other patients and were too busy to accommodate our needs... even if we had spent $10000+ in patients to MCRM specifically for the treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Rachel)
When we called to reschedule our retrieval time, Rachel was very rude - I have not spoken to her directly since as I began communicating with a different coordinator after that exchange. Overall, she did a good job before that and the decision to just squeeze us in was not hers. So, although we had a very heated exchange, overall she did an acceptable job.
What specific things went wrong at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
Dr. Ahlering was very friendly and seemed genuinely concerned about us. However, he underplayed the risks of being unsuccessful, even going so far as to say that with our numbers we were looking at at least one and maybe two live births. Needless to say, when I ended up with dramatically fewer eggs (10 not 20), embryos (2) and no live births, I was very disappointed/heartbroken and angry at myself for spending our life savings on something we were lead to believe was a pretty sure thing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Peter Ahlering at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
Take his enthusiasm for your chances of success with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, he is selling a very expensive service.
Describe the protocols Peter Ahlering used in your cycles at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility and their degree of success.
I purchased the IVF Gold package. Dr. Ahlering likes to say that his protocols are individualized but they really aren't. My nurse mentioned that it was the "___" protocol - essentially one of a dozen options and one commonly used for people with PCOS. When my results were OK, but not stellar, during monitoring visits, Dr. Ahlering did very little to increase my dosages or change the path we were on which ultimately led to failure.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Peter Ahlering at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility.
$10,000 for the Gold package with discounts $3500 for medication $2200 for PGS testing (we ultimately decided not to do this when we only had 2 embryos, we had been told we were likely to have 8+ when we started the process)
Describe Peter Ahlering's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility.
We had two embryos and he was more than happy to transfer two embyros. From what I have heard, he is willing to transfer more embryos if that means a successful pregnancy, regardless of risk of multiples. The clinic seems to have a relatively high number of multiples.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor
She [my nurse] was so quick on responding and making me feel like everything is going to be ok. When we met in person I felt like I knew her forever. I appreciated her knowledge and that she maintained unemotional yet compassionate
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Nothing too fancy. It's in Chesterfield, MO. He could use a interior designer but unthinking hey are so busy making dreams come true to worry about decor
The doctor performed an ultrasound to count my follicles and give me positive affirmations instead of a nurse. He took time to ask questions to make a personal connection and his staff was incredibly knowledgeable
Describe your experience with your nurse at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Rachel Lowrie)
She was so quick on responding and making me feel like everything is going to be ok. When we met in person I felt like I knew her forever. I appreciated her knowledge and that she maintained unemotional yet compassionate
Not getting to meet the doctor in person was difficult but we trusted him from his reputation. He seemed to care about us and was positive he could help us get pregnant. Once we met in person I was thrilled. He is ridiculously smart but so personal. He was funny and confident. He earned my respect within in 5 minutes and that help ease my stress and panic since this was my first time with IVF.
If you have the financial means go meet him in person first so that you can be at ease. Do your research on his clinic and ground breaking technology he has created. His staff will help you via phone and email.
My husband took the hcg shot twice and I was on Lupron to prevent ovulation. Prenatal vitamins had begun. Birth control was first step the first day I started my cycle again to control my cycle. Then follistim was used to start to grow the follicles. Menopur was taken twice to help with ovarian quality. Hgh was also take twice to help mature the eggs and of course the HCG trigger shot was given 72 hours prior to retrieval. When the doctor did my ultrasound he wanted the follicles to be bigger so he added two more days of follistim. I went to see if the follicles had grown and they had to the perfect range he wanted. He scheduled my egg retrieval on a Sunday. He wanted to wait for 5 day fresh transfer be said he felt like my egg reserve was good and it was our 1st attempt. We transferred two embryos which was a mutual agreement given my age of 33 years old. One embryo stuck and we are now 12 weeks pregnant
Around $15k from A to Z Due to our income we didn't qualify for any prescription discounts and our insurance paid zero.
Columbia
MCRM has many packages available to make things more affordable. He also works with a pharmacy program that offers discounts...MCRM has many packages available to make things more affordable. He also works with a pharmacy program that offers discounts...Everyone on the staff has been kind in returning emails the same day and calling as needed as we don't live in Missouri.
We haven't yet visited the clinic as we don't live in Missouri. Everything has been done remotely.
From the start he has made us feel like our best interest is his priority and he wants to help us. He has even called us after hours to set up our appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer A)
This doctor genuinely cares and has tried everything to help our male factor infertility as well as making sure that we are ready. The clinic is half of the past clinic we have worked with and their success rates are much higher. We are very hopeful.
Don't be afraid to ask questions and make sure you give them all the k formation they need.
We are currently preparing for an IVF cycle. My husband is taking clomid and ovidrel injections to help count and I am taking birth control to prepare for our medicated cycle next month.
2013 - 2014
PCOS, Unexplained
The nurses [at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility] were very helpful and caring and we're always willing to answer questions...The clinic never told use prices, and I always had to call about test results....The clinic not very good at going over insurance or cost.
2013 - 2014
PCOS, Unexplained
The clinic not very good at going over insurance or cost.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mira Aubuchon at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
The doctor always seemed rushed and we never felt like we got full and complete answers
The nurses were very helpful and caring and we're always willing to answer questions
How was your experience with Mira Aubuchon at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
We felt like if she had explain all our option and what was best we would have a baby. She just kept send us through the same clomid cycle and iui never mentioned trying any other drugs. It was either try iui with clomid or IVF. She didn't ever recommend sending my husband for test until we had already failed a couple times.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mira Aubuchon at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
Don't go
Describe the protocols Mira Aubuchon used in your cycles at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility and their degree of success.
She started me at a low does of clomid and I would track my cycle and then come in for an iui and after each failure I would get my clomid bumped up.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mira Aubuchon at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility.
Each cycle was 500. Blood work if done at the hospital were very expensive so I went elsewhere
Mira Aubuchon