7.2

9.8

500 N. Keene Street
Columbia, MO 65201

Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Zarek was willing to speak with us candidly about IUI vs IVF and what might be in store for us with the different options. She was also willing to talk more in detail as we had different thoughts or wanted more information throughout the process. She made sure she was available for questions/urgent issues, which was comforting...We did IUI with sperm donor. Our first 3 cycles we did used letrozole to stimulate ovulation, Ovidrel to ovulate, and 2 weeks of progesterone (oral.) For the fourth, after discovering the Letrozole wasn't actually doing much, we did an unmedicated cycle with an Ovidrel shot to ovulate, 2 weeks of progesterone suppositories, and an Ovidrel shot a few days after the IUI to keep my body from trying to start my cycle over too early. This was the successful protocol.
The clinic staff [at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility] were all amazing and so helpful and friendly. This is NOT one of those clinics where you go for the Dr but dread the other clinic staff. They were all great. The only "weakness" is that that despite saying on their website they are open until 5, they only seem to answer their phones until 4:30...Jill [nurse] was so helpful and willing to answer any questions...I appreciated Jill's bedside manner and willingness to talk...When I was graduating, I signed an ROI for my new OBGYN. When they called the day before my first appointment, they noted they hadn't received anything. So I printed out all my notes and brought them in.
How was your experience with Shvetha Zarek at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shvetha Zarek at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
Feel free to ask questions, even if you think they're stupid.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shvetha Zarek at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
Dr. Zarek and her team were always available to answer questions and were willing to sit with me and my husband to answer questions or discuss treatment plans.
Describe the protocols Shvetha Zarek used in your cycles at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jill Karen)
Jill was so helpful and willing to answer any questions. I've had experiences in the past with clinics that have great doctors but nurses that are brusque or who act annoyed with your questions; this was NOT my experience at MU Health. I appreciated Jill's bedside manner and willingness to talk.
Describe your experience with Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility.
The clinic staff were all amazing and so helpful and friendly. This is NOT one of those clinics where you go for the Dr but dread the other clinic staff. They were all great. The only "weakness" is that that despite saying on their website they are open until 5, they only seem to answer their phones until 4:30.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shvetha Zarek at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility.
I can't remember specifically - I think it was about 375 for the ovulation ultrasounds (although my insurance changed at the end to pay for that) and about 375 for the IUI. We also had to pay for donor sperm but that isn't related to the clinic. I think Ovidrel was 125. The letrozole and progesterone were covered by my insurance.
Describe Shvetha Zarek's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility.
We didn't get to the point of discussing it in depth, but in contrast to my previous RE clinic, it appears MU Health doesn't do PGS testing and is more comfortable with multiple transfers. I have no knowledge or opinion on which approach is "better" and this may not be a completely accurate representation of MU Health's approach as we never did IVF, only discussed it.
What specific things went wrong at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility.
Shvetha Zarek

Treated 2017
Dr. Ahlering was very friendly and seemed genuinely concerned about us. However, he underplayed the risks of being unsuccessful...Dr. Ahlering likes to say that his protocols are individualized but they really aren't. My nurse mentioned that it was the "___" protocol - essentially one of a dozen options and one commonly used for people with PCOS. When my results were OK, but not stellar, during monitoring visits, Dr. Ahlering did very little to increase my dosages or change the path we were on which ultimately led to failure.
When we called to reschedule our retrieval time [at MCRM], Rachel was very rude - I have not spoken to her directly since as I began communicating with a different coordinator after that exchange....here were a few routine business office matters that were pretty frustrating, including issues with insurance...The discounts are OK - but very limited. I would personally like to see a needs based discount for couples with low income to allow those of us with a subsistence income to have the chance to have a baby too.
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
Dr. Ahlering was very friendly and seemed genuinely concerned about us. However, he underplayed the risks of being unsuccessful, even going so far as to say that with our numbers we were looking at at least one and maybe two live births. Needless to say, when I ended up with dramatically fewer eggs (10 not 20), embryos (2) and no live births, I was very disappointed/heartbroken and angry at myself for spending our life savings on something we were lead to believe was a pretty sure thing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Peter Ahlering at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
Take his enthusiasm for your chances of success with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, he is selling a very expensive service.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Peter Ahlering at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
We had specifically requested a later retrieval because my husband has had a demonstrably lower count/quality in the mornings. We had also discussed a Sunday retrieval with Dr. Aubuchon (we saw her for our pre-retrieval appointment instead of Dr. Ahlering because he was busy). After this appointment we were scheduled for the very first 7 am appointment on Saturday. When we called in to ask why and how to get this changed, we were basically told that they could not and would not change it - like it or lump it! - and that they had 70 other patients and were too busy to accommodate our needs... even if we had spent $10000+ in patients to MCRM specifically for the treatment.
Describe the protocols Peter Ahlering used in your cycles at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility and their degree of success.
I purchased the IVF Gold package. Dr. Ahlering likes to say that his protocols are individualized but they really aren't. My nurse mentioned that it was the "___" protocol - essentially one of a dozen options and one commonly used for people with PCOS. When my results were OK, but not stellar, during monitoring visits, Dr. Ahlering did very little to increase my dosages or change the path we were on which ultimately led to failure.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Rachel)
When we called to reschedule our retrieval time, Rachel was very rude - I have not spoken to her directly since as I began communicating with a different coordinator after that exchange. Overall, she did a good job before that and the decision to just squeeze us in was not hers. So, although we had a very heated exchange, overall she did an acceptable job.
Overall, MCRM is a marketing machine that is attempting to grow their clinic and attract new patients. They do offer relatively low prices and are interested in using newer technologies to improve success. I do think they believe they are doing good for people, however, it is hard to understand how any clinic can excuse charging such high prices to cash pay patients while giving huge discounts to insuranced patients (through their agreements with the insurance companies) but this is an industry-wide issue not specific to MCRM. Dr. Ahlering is knowledgable and wants a good outcome for his patients. Even so, they are actively building on to their facility with new construction, etc. The discounts are OK - but very limited. I would personally like to see a needs based discount for couples with low income to allow those of us with a subsistence income to have the chance to have a baby too.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Peter Ahlering at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility.
$10,000 for the Gold package with discounts $3500 for medication $2200 for PGS testing (we ultimately decided not to do this when we only had 2 embryos, we had been told we were likely to have 8+ when we started the process)
Describe Peter Ahlering's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility.
We had two embryos and he was more than happy to transfer two embyros. From what I have heard, he is willing to transfer more embryos if that means a successful pregnancy, regardless of risk of multiples. The clinic seems to have a relatively high number of multiples.
Pretty much the things already described - changing decisions after consulting with us and not allowing us to be involved in those changes. There were a few routine business office matters that were pretty frustrating, including issues with insurance, but while frustrating they did not impact our treatment in the end.
Peter Ahlering
Treated 2013 - 2014
She just kept send us through the same clomid cycle and iui never mentioned trying any other drugs. It was either try iui with clomid or IVF. She didn't ever recommend sending my husband for test[ing] until we had already failed a couple times.
The nurses [at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility] were very helpful and caring and we're always willing to answer questions...The clinic never told use prices, and I always had to call about test results....The clinic not very good at going over insurance or cost.
How was your experience with Mira Aubuchon at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
We felt like if she had explain all our option and what was best we would have a baby. She just kept send us through the same clomid cycle and iui never mentioned trying any other drugs. It was either try iui with clomid or IVF. She didn't ever recommend sending my husband for test until we had already failed a couple times.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mira Aubuchon at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
Don't go
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mira Aubuchon at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
The doctor always seemed rushed and we never felt like we got full and complete answers
Describe the protocols Mira Aubuchon used in your cycles at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility and their degree of success.
She started me at a low does of clomid and I would track my cycle and then come in for an iui and after each failure I would get my clomid bumped up.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility.
The nurses were very helpful and caring and we're always willing to answer questions
The clinic not very good at going over insurance or cost.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mira Aubuchon at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility.
Each cycle was 500. Blood work if done at the hospital were very expensive so I went elsewhere
The clinic never told use prices, and I always had to call about test results.
Mira Aubuchon