Montefiore Medical Center

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication is not offered: Not Offered
Bronx
NY - Madison Ave
161 Madison Avenue
NY - West 58th St
330 West 58th Street
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Montefiore Medical Center to a friend?
I love how everyone at this clinic [Montefiore Medical Center] cares. Sometimes I call the place multiple times in one day and have never heard any annoyance on their part or frustration. They simply want to make sure everything is seen to. It did take a little bit of time before my first consult, but it really wasn't that bad (a few weeks, and part of it was because I could not make the only time they had available before then). One thing to know is they will not start treatment until after a financial consult.
Describe your experience with Montefiore Medical Center.
I love how everyone at this clinic cares. Sometimes I call the place multiple times in one day and have never heard any annoyance on their part or frustration. They simply want to make sure everything is seen to. It did take a little bit of time before my first consult, but it really wasn't that bad (a few weeks, and part of it was because I could not make the only time they had available before then). One thing to know is they will not start treatment until after a financial consult. As frustrating as it can be to wait and have a bit of a delay, I think this is a wise decision so that way you know exactly how much you have to pay out of pocket going into a cycle (my previous place did not do this and I ended up with several unanticipated costs at the last second; I think this method is way better). Another thing to know is that at the start of each cycle, the require up-front payment for that cycle (but if your insurance ends up covering more than anticipated after the fact, they will reimburse you). As fertility treatments do have a high cost, I think this is reasonable, but it is important to know going in. You usually only see Dr. Lieman for monitoring ~1/3-1/2 of the time. The rest of the time you will see other doctors and will often have other doctors in training. Every single time I have gone into monitoring with the other doctors, even those in training, I have never failed to be impressed by their level of compassion, detail, and knowledge. I always feel I am in good hands. I always get same-day results and my questions and concerns are always addressed in a timely manner. Overall, I am extremely satisfied by my care at this clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Harry Lieman at Montefiore Medical Center?
I went into my first appointment with Dr. Lieman after having poor treatment from my last RE and two prior pregnancy losses and was somewhat traumatized from the prior experiences. Dr. Lieman was very understanding of our history from the start and cared. This was in stark contrast to my old doctor. He always explains options with reasoning and gives his thoughts on the medical literature whenever I ask. I came in from my old clinic with multiple embryos and was ready to do a transfer, but he recommended we try something else that was less invasive and a lower cost, first, given my medical history, but said it was up to us. Even though the first two cycles of the lower cost intervention did not end in a pregnancy, they got me to ovulate (a real feat with my history) and I feel so much better going into our next transfer (after a failed transfer at the old place) having tried these things first. He never seems rushed, even though I am sure he is. It is readily apparent how much he cares. Not a comment on the doctor, but on the place as a whole: everyone who works there treats me similarly and they have even said they were sorry after a failed cycle, something that really meant a lot to me and that I never heard at my old clinic. I always feel treated like a human here and it makes a huge difference.
The nursing staff are always compassionate and explain everything. They are efficient and organized. I never feel rushed and am always confident they will address any issues. The blood draws are quick and relatively painless (and I am notorious at other places for horrible veins). I always receive calls with results or answers to my questions the same day. I never feel forgotten. They clearly care and have expressed they were sorry after failed cycles, which meant a lot to me and made me feel less alone and more cared for. Again, I am trying to think of something even a tiny bit negative so I can give a fair and balanced review, but I really can not think of anything.
How was your experience with Harry Lieman at Montefiore Medical Center?
Dr. Lieman clearly cares about what he does and is very knowledgeable. He picked up the pieces after my care at my first clinic and immediately knew things we could try. He always gives us options and explanations, which helps us feel involved in our care. His knowledge of the medical literature is completely up to snuff. He is up to date on the latest information and critically evaluates the literature as well. He doesn't simply take all studies as fact and analyzes whether it is reliable based on the details in the paper and how it fits with other papers. He also keeps in mind what he observes at his clinic and combines these two sources to make better decisions. Whenever I bring up a concern, he discusses it with me right away. I never feel like I am being forgotten or like I am not being heard. He did say in the beginning that his specialty is not as much the thyroid, so he recommended that I go to a separate regular endocrinologist specifically for that (which I did and having that other specialist has gotten things under control quickly). I appreciate that he knows where his limits are and refers out to make sure I am receiving optimal care. I also appreciated that when he first started with us, he did not simply go along with what we were planning on doing (another embryo transfer) but that he said he could do that, but gave us another option that he thought made sense given our history. He then recommended we take a little time to decide (which we did-- that extra time was huge). He is clearly not in it for the money at all (that transfer makes more monetary sense for him). We fully trust him with our care. I keep trying to come up with a weakness, but I am seriously struggling to do so. I feel my care under Dr. Lieman has been phenomenal. I would recommend him to anyone in a heartbeat, and have in the past.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Harry Lieman at Montefiore Medical Center?
Honestly, my best advice is to trust him because he knows his stuff. Trust and relax because you are under good care. Also sure to bring up any questions or concerns you have to him.
Describe the protocols Harry Lieman used in your cycles at Montefiore Medical Center and their degree of success.
Dr. Lieman started me on letrozole at 5 mg. He started at 5 mg of letrozole because I had quite spectacular failures to stimulate with clomid at my old clinic, had way overstimmulated on FSH injections at my old place (leading to IVF rescue and moderate OHSS), and had no stimulation with lower dose FSH injections at my old clinic. I had not tried letrozole before and had only had one ovulatory cycle at my old clinic before moving on to IVF and having the failed transfer. Because PCOS and thyroid are my only known issues, trying the letrozole made sense. 5 mg did get me to ovulate, even though it was slow. We then tried 7.5 mg letrozole which has gotten me to ovulate at a pretty normal speed with 2-3 mature sized follicles, increasing our chances. I am currently in the 2 week wait for the third letrozole cycle, but the first 2 have ended in BFN. This was no fault of the protocol. If this cycle fails, he gave us the recommendation to either try IUI or transfer one of our waiting embryos. He does not think it is a good idea for us to combine FSH injections with letrozole given the risk of me overstimulating and my history of overstimulating with the injections. I agree with every recommendation he has given.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Harry Lieman at Montefiore Medical Center.
The cycles we have done were minimal intervention and thus have minimal costs. Bloodwork and ultrasounds ended up being covered by my insurance and my copay was $0 so my only costs so far have been for the letrozole and the trigger shot. My insurance does not cover IVF though, and according to my financial consult, the total out-of-pocket cost is half of that from my old clinic (don't remember exact costs from the consult and it was very specific to my treatment plan and depends on whether my insurance will cover bloodwork and ultrasounds for the next transfer and retrieval, if needed, but I do remember calculating that the cost was half that of my old place).
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
There is a VERY professional medical team here. The Support staff [Montefiore Medical Center] is wonderful as well. The only thing that is a bummer (but it’s mostly everywhere, really) is that morning monitoring hours (all labs and ultrasounds) are first come first serve. The office opens at 7am but you better get there by 6am when the building opens to sit in the hallway and be within the first few patients unless Time is not an issue.
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Montefiore Medical Center.
There is a VERY professional medical team here. The Support staff is wonderful as well. The only thing that is a bummer (but it’s mostly everywhere, really) is that morning monitoring hours (all labs and ultrasounds) are first come first serve. The office opens at 7am but you better get there by 6am when the building opens to sit in the hallway and be within the first few patients unless Time is not an issue. I always had to get to work after monitoring so I would go early to try and be within the first few people. It’s like camping our for concert tix but otherwise if you arrive at 7 when they open, there will most likely be a wait.
Dr. Lieman has a great personality and has a great Mix of professionalism and compassion. You know he’s good at his job yet he also makes you feel comfortable and valued. He is Honest and blunt, in a good way. He has a great sense of humor and compassion for patients.
There are a lot of nurses so I’ve onlt gotten to know a few of them. However they are all very sweet, understanding, and kind!
How was your experience with Harry Lieman at Montefiore Medical Center?
Dr. Lieman explains the whole process in a way that’s easy to understand. He’s calm and patient. I tend to get very anxious and cry at consults, and he was very caring. He has a great sense of humor and my husband liked him instantly as well.he is also the lead Dr at this clinic and is very professional and knowledgeable.
He may seem slightly intimidating and serious at first but deep down I think he’s a teddy bear. He tells it to you straight but also has a caring side. He’s a good balance for the medical field.
We jumped right to IVF with Dr. Lieman and this clinic. Right away at our consult, he explained the entire process clearly. He also explained options for different forms of estrogen and progesterone, and gave his opinion on each when I asked which was best/most effective. I ended up doing a mix of hormone injections for my egg retrieval (which went very well!! We got 25 eggs, but I think in part that’s because we are only dealing with male factor infertility). I ended up using estrogen injections and progesterone in oil (pio) injections, as he felt they were most effective. Even though I am afraid of needles I trusted his opinion!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Montefiore Medical Center.
First come, first serve. Office opens at 7 but building opens at 6. I would try to arrive just before 6, be one of first in buildinf and wait in the hallway to try and be spots 1-3 to know I could get our faster. If you’re on a time crunch, prepare to arrive early.
Unfortunately my insurance covers ZERO percent of IVF. We were lucky enough to get into their IVF grant program so we got *some* assistance, but otherwise it was as follows: IVF cycle (procedures, meds, tests): about $15K, FET cycle: about $4K per cycle (if out of pocket)
Describe Harry Lieman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Montefiore Medical Center.
Dr. Lieman and the lab wanted us to play it safe for the first transfer and we did just 1 embryo. When It didn’t work, he gave us the option for 1 or 2 embryos on the next transfer cycle. He did that again with our most recent one since we had a loss with 1, and we had 2 embryos take but lost 1 in the second cycle. He offers opinions and risks and makes it very clear. He takes patients case by case rather than a 1-size-fits-all approach which I like.
Hartsdale
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The strength came from the Dr. Lieman himself, and in retrospect his approach to dealing with someone my age....The weakness of this clinic unfortunately came from the nursing staff and the administration personal of the office....The phlebotomists were very friendly, however the monitoring patients were not always streamlined through. I once had to wait an hour before someone asked what I was there to do, although, I had signed myself in specifically for monitoring.
Describe your experience with Montefiore Medical Center.
The strength came from the Dr. Lieman himself, and in retrospect his approach to dealing with someone my age. He really followed the most up to date course of action for an older patient. The weakness of this clinic unfortunately came from the nursing staff and the administration personal of the office. You are in contact with these people more than you are your doctor and expect that you are treated with respect and dignity, I did not feel that and at the end of my first IVF cycle I left as soon as I could.
There was a nurse assigned to my case and the phlebotomy staff was very friendly, got to know you, and always were warm and thoughtful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Montefiore Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Alison)
My direct nurse took more pleasure of educating me about the drugs and where I should and should not buy them, then she did more about helping me solve problems. Most of the time, she just came off arrogant and belittling. One of the main reason I left this clinic was because of the nursing staff in general. One berated me as to my request to do monitoring at the same hospital at a different location-she proceeded to tell me, that I should not have chosen that clinic.
How was your experience with Harry Lieman at Montefiore Medical Center?
Dr. Lieman was compassionate, would explain the procedures and what to expect. Called to follow up when things didn't go as planned. I put myself in his hands and as he was my first doctor, I didn't ask a lot of questions. I do wish the course of action was a explained a bit more in depth.
There is a barrier put up by the nursing staff to get to Dr. Lieman. You really have to push to talk with him directly.
He had recommended starting IVF from the start, I hesitated and asked to start with an IUI. Quite frankly, I was so new to the process and had not done a lot of research at that point that I didn't know the questions to ask and he did not really give me any rationale for the protocol that was used. I did a standard hyper-stimulation protocol with gonal-f menopur, ovidrel, cetrotide for trigger. I had a 3 day embryo transfer after my first IVF cycle. Negative at pregnancy test.
The costs were high but mostly covered under my personal insurance. The medication is mostly what I had to pay for out of pocket. It is very expensive, and has the least coverage under most insurance plans. I had no idea there were alternative avenues-nor was I told to even try, even though I asked my nurse. I had asked about IVFmeds.com, my nurse told me she didn't know who they were and asked the other nurses if they knew what I was talking about. She then proceeded to tell me that I should be careful because you never know what you're getting. I can say they were just fine and at 1/3 the cost, a great alternative. Also, this clinic WOULD not send me a copy of the prescriptions to my email (NY). My second clinic provided me with an email of the prescriptions I needed before I started my cycle and I was able to get them in Europe for a fraction of the cost.
2011
Appointments were fairly easy to book [at Montefiore Medical Center], but I did see other doctors sometimes and their students (but I never minded and they were all very nice). The front desk was ok, a bit vague at times about status of appointments and wait times. Billing was mostly smooth, but I felt like I filled out a lot of the same info over and over again...He [Dr Edward Illions] was attentive to us and didn't seem rushed, but the office was a bit lax with specific directions or expectations sometimes. I feel like they forgot some people were there for the first time and didn't know what to expect and what to ask.
2011
Describe your experience with Montefiore Medical Center.
Appointments were fairly easy to book, but I did see other doctors sometimes and their students (but I never minded and they were all very nice). The front desk was ok, a bit vague at times about status of appointments and wait times. Billing was mostly smooth, but I felt like I filled out a lot of the same info over and over again.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Edward Illions at Montefiore Medical Center?
He was attentive to us and didn't seem rushed, but the office was a bit lax with specific directions or expectations sometimes. I feel like they forgot some people were there for the first time and didn't know what to expect and what to ask.
Very nice, but they were a bit lax with specific directions sometimes. I feel like they forgot some people were there for the first time and didn't know what to expect and what to ask. The educational class was helpful, but there were a couple of appointments where I was surprised by the length or a procedure I needed.
What specific things went wrong at Montefiore Medical Center?
How was your experience with Edward Illions at Montefiore Medical Center?
He remembered my husband and I from visit to visit and would refer to details from previous visits. He was personable to put us at ease and even responded to my husband's mild joking at times. He answered my questions thoroughly and was responsive through their electronic contact system as well. He honored my attempts to keep things natural and less invasive at first though we needed to try a few approaches before having success.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Edward Illions at Montefiore Medical Center?
Push for alternatives if you're uncomfortable with anything. He seemed flexible.
Describe the protocols Edward Illions used in your cycles at Montefiore Medical Center and their degree of success.
Started with monitoring ovulation, testing hormones, and treatment for slightly high prolactin levels, and a scraping of my lining, then IUI, escalated to Clomid and more IUIs, then we were on our way to IVF, but I didn't have enough follicles to make it worth it so we did an IUI last minute and I got pregnant and carried that baby to term.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Edward Illions at Montefiore Medical Center.
I don't remember specifics except that I only had enough health insurance coverage for one round of IVF and then we would have paid out of pocket. I think each IUI cycle was about $1,200.
Edward Illions
Bronx
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Other
In a large multi doctor practice [Montefiore Institute], you can feel lost. I never felt lost even though there were a myriad of nurses. Even when meeting another new nurse, they were always welcoming. A potential weakness would be the lack of consistency due to this, however I feel as if they have addressed this with their warm, welcoming demeanor...cheduling can be difficult. They are fitting appointments into a larger puzzle which does not always fit into your own personal scheduling puzzle.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Other
Describe your experience with Montefiore Medical Center.
Scheduling can be difficult. They are fitting appointments into a larger puzzle which does not always fit into your own personal scheduling puzzle. But you make it work. They have A great morning appointment system for blood work and ultra sounds for the working person
In a large multi doctor practice, you can feel lost. I never felt lost even though there were a myriad of nurses. Even when meeting another new nurse, they were always welcoming. A potential weakness would be the lack of consistency due to this, however I feel as if they have addressed this with their warm, welcoming demeanor.
How was your experience with Harry Lieman at Montefiore Medical Center?
The doctor is very willing to listen, and professional in his voice. He spends the time to listen to your concerns and ensures to answer any questions you have. I felt very comfortable in bringing up topics and questions. He has never made me feel silly or uncomfortable for asking .
He is a professional and he has been doing this for many, many years. I feel 100% confident and comfortable deferring to his medical expertise
I am a unique case. He was able to identify a diagnosis I had yet to receive. I went through abdominal ultrasounds, a hsg exam, MRI and this week I am scheduled for a laparoscopic hysteroscopy. I went through 1 round of iui with Dr Lieman.
It's all about your health insurance. My health insurance provides for a $0 copay. 100% coverage for iuis. My out of pocket expenses were lab copays and medications.
We didn't get that far yet
2013 - 2017
All of the staff [at Montefiore] are very nice and after awhile of going they all began to know me by name. One of the secretaries always wished me good luck. The billing department goes over what your insurance does and doesn't cover. The one thing I don't like is that if you're not caught up on your bill they will not let you finish your cycle. We're stressed enough you'd think they'd let you finish and than worry about payments.
Describe your experience with Montefiore Medical Center.
All of the staff are very nice and after awhile of going they all began to know me by name. One of the secretaries always wished me good luck. The billing department goes over what your insurance does and doesn't cover. The one thing I don't like is that if you're not caught up on your bill they will not let you finish your cycle. We're stressed enough you'd think they'd let you finish and than worry about payments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erkan Buyuk at Montefiore Medical Center?
Dr. B and all of his staff are very caring and attentive.
The nurses were very nice and caring. They explained everything to me. They returned my phone calls in a timely matter.
How was your experience with Erkan Buyuk at Montefiore Medical Center?
From the start of my journey Dr. Buyuk was very informative and caring. He truly cares about his patients and makes them feel very comfortable. He respones to emails very quickly. I don't have anything negative to say.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erkan Buyuk at Montefiore Medical Center?
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Describe the protocols Erkan Buyuk used in your cycles at Montefiore Medical Center and their degree of success.
I remember getting a lot of blood work done. I had a dye test done to make sure my ovaries weren't blocked. My husbands sperm count was checked. I don't remember how much injections I had. The first cycle I did in 2013 was a successful pregnancy, the second cycle in 2017 I had to stop because of polyps, 3rd cycle in june of 2017 ended up negative.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erkan Buyuk at Montefiore Medical Center.
iui procedure was less than $400, injections was about $1100 for the amount I was prescribed. All of the blood work and any other test were based on what my insurance covered
Erkan Buyuk
2013 - 2017
The office staff [at Montefiore Medical Center] is very professional and friendly. Monitoring times leave much to be desired. It would be nice if the office opened earlier for monitoring appts. Since it's first come first serve...When I had to have a D&C I was scheduled for an appt. at the other clinic. I thought I was going in for a D&C but it was just an appt. to discuss my options. My clinic failed to properly explain the process to me.
Describe your experience with Montefiore Medical Center.
The office staff is very professional and friendly. Monitoring times leave much to be desired. It would be nice if the office opened earlier for monitoring appts. Since it's first come first serve.
He listened to our concerns and was open/flexible to our wants when it came to treatment.
For the most part the nurses were professional and kind. It would be nice to be assigned a specific nurse to email questions to etc.
How was your experience with Harry Lieman at Montefiore Medical Center?
I fully trust in his expertise. He was friendly and thorough. He listened to our concerns and we had an honest conversation about our plan. He was very positive that we'd get pregnant. It took some time, but we got there.
Ask questions. Don't be afraid to be thorough. If you want to be more aggressive with treatment, bring it up. If you have concerns about your reamtnet, discuss it with him. He is very open to suggestions and your opinions.
We started with clomid to seeniffitnwould help menovukaye more regularly. When they didn't work we moved on to clomid with IUI. When they didn't work after 2 rounds, I asked to try femara and IUI. When they did t work I wanted to get more aggressive with my treatment and he suggested trying injectable medications with IUI. We got pregnant using the injectables and IUI.
My insurance covered most procedures and medication this far.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
I had no IVF coverage and was quoted over $16000 with meds [at Montefiore Medical Center]...Strengths: clean, organized, timely. Weakness: if a doctor gives instructions that are outside routine it is a challenge to get them followed sometimes. Also if you don't show up for morning monitoring very early it can be a very long wait...They [nurses] were all sweet and compassionate. When one called to give me negative results and I got emotional she called back later to see if I was ok.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Montefiore Medical Center.
At first he was compassionate about the trauma of infertility. However once we knew my tubes were blocked and it was clear we had reached the end of the road he was dismissive. He offered no guidance for the treatment of my illnessese once reproduction was off the table. He also waited over a year to give me access to a wait list for IVF grants after I first asked about it, and the list itself is more than two years long.
They were all sweet and compassionate. When one called to give me negative results and I got emotional she called back later to see if I was ok.
How was your experience with Harry Lieman at Montefiore Medical Center?
Clearly very knowledgeable as a clinician. Not sure I'd have another surgery with him. I was left with significant scar tissue and felt my questions about complications post surgery were dismissed without consideration.
Educate yourself about all options and be an advocate for yourself.
Clomid and ovadrell for iui
Just standard co-pays, except weekend monitoring was extra. I had no IVF coverage and was quoted over $16000 with meds
Na
Hartsdale
My care team [at Montefiore] got to know me on an individual basis and they were all concerned about my case and the outcome. They always assured me each time I went to keep my hopes up high because I would definitely achieve a pregnancy sooner than I expect.
My care team got to know me on an individual basis and they were all concerned about my case and the outcome.Overall, I would say they had a good relationship with me.
How was your experience with Erkan Buyuk at Montefiore Medical Center?
Very caring and understanding to your needs as a patient , he's also very detailed in explaining whatever issues you have to you. I believe he's a well experienced doctor in his field and would highly recommend him to anyone with infertility issues.
Always ensure you ask every bit of question you have concerning your infertility and I can assure that he's always ready to answer and would be willing to proffer solutions and use his professional expertise to solve such problem.
Erkan Buyuk