Genetic counseling is not offered: Not Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
620 John Paul Jones Circle
Portsmouth, VA 23708
866-645-4584
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Naval Medical Center Portsmouth to a friend?

2 doctors
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
I had a hormon panel done [at Naval Medical Center] and I had to ask for the results on my next visit. I never received all of my results though. Just a couple...The strengths are definitely the compassion and knowledge of infertility Dr. Spitzer has. The only weakness I can think of is relaying information to her nurses can be a little lost, but nothing an email directly to her can’t fix...Sometimes it’s a little frustrating when Dr. Spitzer and I discuss a procedure, but then it’s not added to my notes. Trying to explain this to the front desk is well... feels hopeless unless I actually talk to her personally.
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Naval Medical Center Portsmouth.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Trimble Spitzer at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth?
She sat down with me and genuinely cared about me. She sympathizes with her patience and wants to help them.
I cannot remember the nurse’s I had for my follicle scan, but he was very nice and even explained to me how PCOS worked. Sometimes it’s a little frustrating when Dr. Spitzer and I discuss a procedure, but then it’s not added to my notes. Trying to explain this to the front desk is well... feels hopeless unless I actually talk to her personally.
What specific things went wrong at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth?
How was your experience with Trimble Spitzer at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth?
She is the one who diagnosed me with stage 4 endometrial hyperplasia and she was the one who preformed my D&C. None of my other doctors cared that I rarely had a cycle. No one explained how dangerous that was. I cannot say enough about Dr. Spitzer!! She is the absolute sweetest and she cares so much about me! I’m currently on my second round of Femara with times intercourse between uterine biopsies to see if my condition has improved.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Trimble Spitzer at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth?
Ask as many questions or concerns that you may have. She will answer your questions and concerns truthfully. The best advice that I have is that I wish I went to her sooner.
Describe the protocols Trimble Spitzer used in your cycles at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth and their degree of success.
on BC for 7 months while Diagnosed with stage 1 endometrial hyperplasia Put on BC for 7 months while I was focusing on my health and not TTC Diagnosed with stage 4 endometrial hyperplasia and had a D&C Ready to TTC: Started 5MG Femara Cd3-7 Saw two large follicles on CD13 Ovulated CD18 Currently on Second cycle of Femara (unmonitored)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Trimble Spitzer at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth.
So far everything has been covered by Tricare.
Trimble Spitzer
Portsmouth

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Trimble Spitzer at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth.

The Naval Hospital is huge and accommodates a lot of patients daily so you may not get an immediate appointment, but you will not be upset with the care you receive. I have had nothing but great appointments with the reproductive team... Due to have military insurance all of my treatment has been covered. I will have to pay out of pocket for IUI and/or IVF... [Nursing Staff] Just as wonderful as Dr. Redding... Dr. Redding has been the absolute best doctor during my treatment. He has listened to every concern
Describe your experience with Naval Medical Center Portsmouth.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shawn Redding at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth?
He listens to every concern and question I have. At my last appointment we spent 20 minutes just talking about all of my options and the my last 6 months of treatment
Just as wonderful as Dr. Redding
How was your experience with Shawn Redding at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth?
Dr. Redding has been the absolute best doctor during my treatment. He has listened to every concern and addressed them each separately. He gives you all the ins and outs of the testing, fertility medication, and possible side effects involved
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shawn Redding at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth?
Listen to what he has to say because he absolutely knows what he’s talking about
Describe the protocols Shawn Redding used in your cycles at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth and their degree of success.
We started with ultrasounds to confirm if i was ovulating on my own or not. This is how we found my PCOS as I have an abnormal amount of cysts on my ovaries. From there we did an hsg exam which confirmed my tubes are clear so we stated 6 months of Femara with timed intercourse. After my 6 months had passed with no pregnancy we are now into the next step of Femara with trigger shot and IUI
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shawn Redding at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth.
Shawn Redding

Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
[Naval Medical Center] Not good on answering questions after hours but you can go to the hospital if needed. Staff is knowledgeable and kind. Very helpful and encouraging. Wish they did ivf. They can do iui but not with injectables. I would say major con is the limited options or adjustments they can offer, but major pro is the service is covered all by Tricare except semen wash, which was $240.00... They were all great although not available on weekends. They normally called back within 24 hours.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Naval Medical Center Portsmouth.
Everyone in the office was kind and caring. Even though I saw allot of people everyone made a effort to hear my questions and concerns as well as answer them to the best of thier knowledge. I do wish there were more care options like injectables but those are not offered due to it being a military hospital.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth. (Assigned nurse: Yes two one was sheril I believe)
They were all great although not available on weekends. They normally called back within 24 hours. Very kind and compassionate
What specific things went wrong at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth?
How was your experience with Shawn Redding at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth?
He always answered my questions. He really cared and explained everything. His staff was awesome and very helpful. He explained all e risks as well. He always explained and did a great job with my surgery. He has a calm relaxed, but straight forward approach. I think you have to understand being a military facility he is limited in options but felt he did a good job with what tools he has to work with
Ask lots of questions. Try and stay as informed as possible especially due to the multiple staff you will see
Letrazole 2.5 mg day 3 through 7 one iui day after trigger. I did for if these cycles. I produced follicles but never got pregnant
All covered by Tricare
Describe Shawn Redding's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth.
He did not do that
Shawn Redding
Portsmouth

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Shawn Redding at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth.

Portsmouth clinic [Naval Medical Center] is very nice and has great equipment but Langley doesn't even compare. Portsmouth's clinic is also in an area of the hospital that feels a little more quiet and set aside but Langley is not this way... The nurse at Portsmouth Naval is great but the same can't be said for the various ones at Langley.... I wish there could be more protocol on specific locations and she worked in one location. The communication with The Jones Institute could be better as we didn't have the paperwork the first time due to we didn't get it from the clinic the day before. I feel like the strategies and if thkngs arent happening positively then doing something different the next time.
Describe your experience with Naval Medical Center Portsmouth.
Portsmouth clinic is very nice and has great equipment but Langley doesn't even compare. Portsmouth's clinic is also in an area of the hospital that feels a little more quiet and set aside but Langley is not this way
With military medicine sometimes there is a feeling of being a number. Dr Spitzer has been great though and has thoroughly explained things through the process and always answered any questions we've had.
There could haven been a bit more communication on different aspects of procedures during different phases. Other than that Dr Sputzer has been great. I've seen others have complaints about her bed side manner not being good but I haven't experienced anything like that.
Ask questions if you have any while you're in the office.
With Tricare we are so far responsible for the sperm washing. There will be higher costs associated with IVF.
Describe Trimble Spitzer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth.
This hasn't been discussed but is potentially next step.
Trimble Spitzer