9.7

Providing backup medication is not offered
Providing backup medication is not offered

34800 BOB WILSON DR
San Diego, CA 92134

This [Naval Medical Center] is a military hospital so there are restrictions. Getting into appointments takes a long time. After each cycle, it's not an immediate start for the next cycle takes a few weeks. The medicine is covered and visits as well but the IVF procedure is not covered. So pricing is great here.... They are extremely kind. They are always willing to help and answer questions for me. If i want more detail on something they will get that for me.
How was your experience with Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
Dr. Laufer is great for the most part. He is quick with the ultrasounds, sometimes too quick because i like to see the numbers and talk about it as we go where he likes to wait to talk. Not that big of a deal just different people different preferences. I always have a lot of questions and sometimes i feel he gets a little bothered by asking too many questions but sometimes he doesnt go into as much detail as i would like. They are great about getting me into appointments and they will always bring me back if they have any questions. He always calls with the results and if you want specific numbers you have to ask. He is very funny and loves to make jokes which i like and he always makes my husband feel a little less awkward about being there. Overall, i would say he is great but if you have questions write them down prior because he doesnt ask if you have any questions and rushs through them.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
Write your questions down so you aren't feeling pressured to leave after he gives you the treatment. When you go into his office to discuss the next steps I would maybe mention that you have a list of questions so he can shift his focus from the computer to you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
I felt like a human during the appointments, the nurses are fantastic and the doctor makes jokes. When he is explaining the treatment that is when I feel a little rushed.
Describe the protocols Larry Laufer used in your cycles at Naval Medical Center and their degree of success.
We used Gonal F, Ovidrel, and Endometrin. They give ultrasounds the beginning of the cycle and after getting blood tests they will adjust your Gonal F dose and when they are ready they will have you come in for follow up ultrasounds. This is so they can see how your eggs are going along. I did IUI and they would have you go in with a full bladder.
Describe your experience with Naval Medical Center.
This is a military hospital so there are restrictions. Getting into appointments takes a long time. After each cycle, it's not an immediate start for the next cycle takes a few weeks. The medicine is covered and visits as well but the IVF procedure is not covered. So pricing is great here.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center.
I have not had to pay for anything yet.
What specific things went wrong at Naval Medical Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Naval Medical Center.
Nothing went wrong at the clinic
San Diego

He [Dr. Laufer] is very knowledgeable, gentle yet professional at the same time. He was confident in treatment every month and he really wanted to help us in getting pregnant which he eventually did. I never felt like just another patient to him.... We started with prediagnostic tests and moved on to laparoscopic surgery to clear out my tubes and check for other problems. This was successful and we moved right to IUI with medication. We used injections for this because it was similar to the meds used for IVF and there was a chance I’d have to use that.
Because it’s a military clinic [Naval Medical Center] there is a wait list for new patients and for IVF which is a downside. We were on the wait list for IVF for 8 months and never got called up. But we were still able to do other treatment (IUI) while we waited and thankfully fell pregnant during that time.... Everything was covered under our military insurance that we used... We started with prediagnostic tests and moved on to laparoscopic surgery to clear out my tubes and check for other problems.
How was your experience with Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
He is very knowledgeable, gentle yet professional at the same time. He was confident in treatment every month and he really wanted to help us in getting pregnant which he eventually did. I never felt like just another patient to him.
Ask a lot of questions because he always answers them all and never rushes you.
He was always kind and empathetic to our situation even though he sees several people a day in the same situation. I never felt like I was just another case.
We started with prediagnostic tests and moved on to laparoscopic surgery to clear out my tubes and check for other problems. This was successful and we moved right to IUI with medication. We used injections for this because it was similar to the meds used for IVF and there was a chance I’d have to use that. After 5 IUI rounds I became pregnant with a healthy baby girl.
Kind and helpful
Describe your experience with Naval Medical Center.
Because it’s a military clinic there is a wait list for new patients and for IVF which is a downside. We were on the wait list for IVF for 8 months and never got called up. But we were still able to do other treatment (IUI) while we waited and thankfully fell pregnant during that time.
Everything was covered under our military insurance that we used
San Diego

He is not very aggressive, make sure you advocate for yourself. ... He is very nice and knowledgeable, however I preferred to see the other doctor in the clinic [Naval Medical Center]. It was just a personal preference. Dr Lauffer took the time to write down the list of medications and how they should be taken and at what times. He answered all questions and would call you back personally.
This is a naval hospital [Naval Medical Center] so getting an initial appointment can be lengthy. Once you are in they schedule you as needed. Opt to get on the IVF waitlist immediately because it can take up to a year to be called. ... [Nursing Staff] Wonderful and communicative. Was given an email address and always had a response by the end of the day. When I had a chemical pregnancy on my own, they still monitored me.
How was your experience with Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
He is very nice and knowledgeable, however I preferred to see the other doctor in the clinic. It was just a personal preference. Dr Lauffer took the time to write down the list of medications and how they should be taken and at what times. He answered all questions and would call you back personally.
He is not very aggressive, make sure you advocate for yourself.
He is very personal and kind
Round 1 included letrozole and orvidel and resulted in 2 eggs on my right ovary. Unfortunately I don’t have a tube on that so it was unsuccessful. Round 2 included Gonal F and orvidel and resulted in 2 eggs on the left and 1 on the right. It was also unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with Naval Medical Center.
This is a naval hospital so getting an initial appointment can be lengthy. Once you are in they schedule you as needed. Opt to get on the IVF waitlist immediately because it can take up to a year to be called.
No cost associated with IUI