9.7

Providing backup medication is not offered
Providing backup medication is not offered

34800 BOB WILSON DR
San Diego, CA 92134

Dr. Laufer is wonderful. He takes his time, answers all questions, and makes sure you are comfortable with procedures...he gave us his cell number so we could reach him over the weekend...Letrozole with menopur was originally planned for my first IUI cycle...My next cycle we used clomid and ovidrel. That cycle was successful...We’re currently waiting to start a new cycle due to covid 19...
[nurses of Naval Medical Center] seem truly invested in the patients and they often learn enough about you to ask specifics about your life and treatments...[cost]Everything we have done so far has been covered by a grant for the military clinic or by TriCare...only weakness is how busy they are and how hard it can be to get a referral that they require...
How was your experience with Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
He’s wonderful. Ensures you understand everything, answers questions as many times as he needs to , listens to concerns and ideas from the patient, and overall just really seems to love his job and care for his patients.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
Be willing to fight for a referral. Their clinic is busy and it can be hard to get in, but it’s so worth it!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
Dr. Laufer is wonderful. He takes his time, answers all questions, and makes sure you are comfortable with procedures. Recently when we got pregnant during an IUI cycle and then had a miscarriage, he gave us his cell number so we could reach him over the weekend if I started having severe pain due to being concerned about an ectopic pregnancy. His bedside manner is wonderful and it’s clear he cares for his patients as more than just a number.
Describe the protocols Larry Laufer used in your cycles at Naval Medical Center and their degree of success.
Letrozole with menopur was originally planned for my first IUI cycle, but it wasn’t working so they added Gonal F and ovidrel. That cycle was unsuccessful. My next cycle we used clomid and ovidrel. That cycle was successful, but resulted in a miscarriage at 6 weeks. We’re currently waiting to start a new cycle due to covid 19.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Naval Medical Center.
They’re amazing! Each of them seems truly invested in the patients and they often learn enough about you to ask specifics about your life and treatments when they see you in the clinic.
Describe your experience with Naval Medical Center.
The only weakness is how busy they are and how hard it can be to get a referral that they require. Appointments can be hard to get quickly as well, but they often use birth control to hold your cycle until you can get an appointment for a baseline sonogram.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center.
Everything we have done so far has been covered by a grant for the military clinic or by TriCare. We haven’t done IVF yet, but there is an out of pocket cost for that.
San Diego

He's a great doctor, funny, and I had a great experience. I like the fact that he [Dr. Laufer] will work with your schedule so you don't miss a work or an important event. If I have questions about anything, he will answer it.... For IUI I've done gonal f and ovidrel. Most of the time I have to increase and sometimes decrease. I responded great but did not get pregnant. For my 1st IVF cycle, I was on antagonist protocol and had to take gonal f, menopur, ganirelix and ovidrel then patches and progesterone.
The clinic [Naval Medical Center] is great and very easy to find. Sometimes parking is very hard to find. I suggest that if you're new patient, it is best to come there early to give yourself time to find parking. Sometimes there's traffic at the gate to get in. Afternoon appointments are better because there's plenty of parking around that time.... IUI procedure and meds were free. IVF was not free and we had to pay to the one they had contract with but meds were free.
How was your experience with Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
He's a great doctor, funny, and I had a great experience. I like the fact that he will work with your schedule so you don't miss a work or an important event. If I have questions about anything, he will answer it.
Ask questions if you want to know your E2 level, follicles sizes, etc.
He's a great doctor and he works around my schedule so I don't miss work or miss an important event.
For IUI I've done gonal f and ovidrel. Most of the time I have to increase and sometimes decrease. I responded great but did not get pregnant. For my 1st IVF cycle, I was on antagonist protocol and had to take gonal f, menopur, ganirelix and ovidrel then patches and progesterone. Dr. Laufer did the retrieval and retrieved 17 eggs, 10 fertilized, got 5 embryos of day 5/day 6. The first transfer (different doctor transferred the embryo), I got positive pregnancy but ended as a chemical pregnancy. For my FET (#2,#3,#4) I used patches and progesterone, but did not get pregnant.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Naval Medical Center.
They're all great and they know my name since they see me often. They always great you with a smile.
Describe your experience with Naval Medical Center.
The clinic is great and very easy to find. Sometimes parking is very hard to find. I suggest that if you're new patient, it is best to come there early to give yourself time to find parking. Sometimes there's traffic at the gate to get in. Afternoon appointments are better because there's plenty of parking around that time.
Describe Larry Laufer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Naval Medical Center.
My doctors explained single embryo transfer vs multiple embryo transfer and it depends on your age too.
San Diego

He [Dr. Larry Laufer] has a good bedside manner and thoroughly explained each step of treatment as it came up. When I had concerns, he never made me feel like a burden or a "troublesome" patient, he addressed each concern promptly and ordered appropriate testing to ease my nerves. This was my first cycle taking injectable medication and he took adequate time to explain the process and demonstrate how to administer the injections.
The staff [at Naval Medical Center- San Diego] is helpful and kind. It's sometimes hard to get someone to answer the phone, but that is only because of how busy the clinic is. Calls are always promptly returned.... The waitlist for IVF is very long however.... This cycle included gonal-F and an Ovidrel trigger shot. I started the cycle after a monitoring sonogram to confirm I did not have any pre-existing issues that would interfere with the cycle. Mid-way through the injections blood work and sonogram were used to monitor progress, the medication doses were adjusted and I was called in again a few days later for a repeat scan.
How was your experience with Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
Dr. Laufer is a seasoned doctor with a wealth of knowledge regarding infertility treatment. He has a good bedside manner and thoroughly explained each step of treatment as it came up. When I had concerns, he never made me feel like a burden or a "troublesome" patient, he addressed each concern promptly and ordered appropriate testing to ease my nerves. This was my first cycle taking injectable medication and he took adequate time to explain the process and demonstrate how to administer the injections.
I would recommend him thoroughly. Don't hesitate to ask him questions, he is well prepared to answer them and will do so in a professional and kind manner.
Dr. Laufer has always been very kind while treating me. He returns phone calls promptly to discuss my concerns and was very kind when clinical findings showed a recent miscarriage.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Naval Medical Center.
The staff is helpful and kind. It's sometimes hard to get someone to answer the phone, but that is only because of how busy the clinic is. Calls are always promptly returned.
Describe your experience with Naval Medical Center.
As a military installation, I was pleased to find the care I needed in network. The clinic is very busy but I always felt well taken care of and could get in quickly for follow-up visits as needed. The waitlist for IVF is very long however.
Care was covered by insurance.
San Diego
Dr. Larry Laufer is very kind and compassionate, and I feel that he is highly knowledable regarding the procedures and medications. I personally know a few people that were able to conceive after having them as their doctor, so that gives me hope. After each visit, he concludes your time there while visiting with you in his office, which is very professional.... Be prepared to ask questions that you want answered. He'll answer them, but if you don't ask, he doesn't always know what you don't tell him you don't know.
The thing to understand about using this clinic [Naval Medical Center] is that there are many patients, so there is a waitlist for the IVF procedure. The clinic is fantastic about prescribing the medications and then the convenience to pick up the medications immediately onsite.... As is the process with military hospitals, frequently it is a numbers game. I'm happy to be on the waitlist for IVF, meanwhile receiving treatment to try to conceive in the process. The staff is partially caring, and some of them are very serious, and non-empathetic.
How was your experience with Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
Be prepared to ask questions that you want answered. He'll answer them, but if you don't ask, he doesn't always know what you don't tell him you don't know. Many of his patients have been TTC for a long time, and know a great deal about the process, so he doesn't know what questions you have unless you ask.
So far we have just done one cycle, beginning with blood draw for my AMH levels in June, and a semen analysis a few weeks ago. I had a baseline ultrasound completed several weeks ago, and then a IUI about a week ago. I used Gonal F injections and then a trigger shot the day prior. It's too early to know any results.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Naval Medical Center.
The nurse that was in the exam room while I had my ultrasound done was blatantly unengaged. She just stood there by the light, even yawning loudly several times. I don't think she even made eye contact once, nor did she ever ask if I was comfortable, or if I needed anything. The front desk nurse, and also the one that explained the processes and the way everything is supposed to work, were all amazing.
Describe your experience with Naval Medical Center.
The thing to understand about using this clinic is that there are many patients, so there is a waitlist for the IVF procedure. The clinic is fantastic about prescribing the medications and then the convenience to pick up the medications immediately onsite.
The only cost that wasn't covered was the sperm storage and associated fees which was necessary for the IUI procedure, due to my husband being deployed at the time of the procedure.
No knowledge of this procedure

2020, Consult
I am still in the testing phase. Dr. Laufer began with blood work and an HSG. I was unable to complete the HSG so we scheduled an SIS...I was schedule for a laparoscopy to check my uterus and tubes, but due to COVID 19 that was cancelled. The plan is to complete that to see what my options are (ie medicated cycles, IUI, or IVF)...He was always very concerned about my thoughts and feelings. He took his time in appointments and on the phone...has been very open and understanding of my needs. He is honest about his diagnosis and what my options are to increase my chances of pregnancy. He is willing to try what I want and not just what he believes I should do.
They [the staff at Naval Medical Center] have been really helpful in scheduling appointments and getting me answers to questions that come up. There have been times that I have to leave voicemails but they always seem to get back to me asap...They [nurses] are generally supportive, however, due to the complexity of my endometriosis I have also become very frustrated because they often say how "interesting" my case is which I do not find helpful...It has all been covered by Tricare. However, once I start IVF, it will be at least $6000 for egg retrieval, fertilization, and first transfer.
How was your experience with Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
Dr. Laufer has been very open and understanding of my needs. He is honest about his diagnosis and what my options are to increase my chances of pregnancy. He is willing to try what I want and not just what he believes I should do.
Have questions ready.
I am still in the testing phase. Dr. Laufer began with blood work and an HSG. I was unable to complete the HSG so we scheduled an SIS. Again, I was unable to complete that as well. I was schedule for a laparoscopy to check my uterus and tubes, but due to COVID 19 that was cancelled. The plan is to complete that to see what my options are (ie medicated cycles, IUI, or IVF).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Naval Medical Center.
They are generally supportive, however, due to the complexity of my endometriosis I have also become very frustrated because they often say how "interesting" my case is which I do not find helpful.
Describe your experience with Naval Medical Center.
They have been really helpful in scheduling appointments and getting me answers to questions that come up. There have been times that I have to leave voicemails but they always seem to get back to me asap.
I have not got that far in my treatments yet.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Laufer is an awesome doctor, he makes you feel at home and included me on every part of my treatments so I fully understood it. I love hearing his jokes which helped me feel more at ease when I am at the clinic.... We first tried iui with clomid, the other 5 iuis we did with injectibles. Unfortunately those didn't work so we switched to ivf.... Awesome nursing staff love them all ! Make you feel like family.
Weakness [for Naval Medical Center] is changing the location and prices. I would love to do another fet but it keeps getting pushed back. Strengths are all the staff and doctors are amazing I wouldn’t change a thing about them.... 4,000 for the ivf. For FET 1800$.... Awesome nursing staff love them all ! Make you feel like family.... Dr. Laufer is an awesome doctor, he makes you feel at home and included me on every part of my treatments so I fully understood it. I love hearing his jokes which helped me feel more at ease when I am at the clinic
How was your experience with Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
Remember he is very quirky and funny.
He is such a kind doctor and treats you with respect, and tells you super funny stories.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Naval Medical Center.
Awesome nursing staff love them all ! Make you feel like family.
Describe your experience with Naval Medical Center.
Weakness is changing the location and prices. I would love to do another fet but it keeps getting pushed back. Strengths are all the staff and doctors are amazing I wouldn’t change a thing about them.
4,000 for the ivf. For FET 1800$.
2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr Wittenberger did our IUI and my surgery...He called a few days after my surgery to ask how I was doing and answer the 100 questions I had about IVF with them...I did an IUI in Dec 2021 with 5mg of letrozole and a trigger shot. I produced one mature follicle. It was an ectopic pregnancy and ruptured. My Fallopian tubes were removed and now IVF is our next step for carrying biological children...
It takes a hot minute to be seen here [Naval Medical Center] solely because as of Jan 2022, it's only Dr. Healy & Dr. Wittenberger running the show and he plans to retire this summer. It also takes a while for them to answer to phone so I blow up their office phone when I need to get ahold of them...I was quoted $6990 for IVF and $1800 for a frozen transfer -the retrieval, creating the embryos, medicine, the transfer, and monitoring....
How was your experience with Michael D. Wittenberger at Naval Medical Center?
She was very good at explaining our plan for treatment. She was also really awesome at getting back to me by the end of the day when I had questions. We started with 5mg of Letrozole and an IUI. I ovulate on my won however when starting treatment I had ONE functioning Fallopian tube but my husband's motility does not allow us to get pregnant on our own. We did our IUI and I got pregnant! However it was ectopic and I lost my fallopian tubes when it ruptured at 5w+4d. Now we intend to move forward with IVF. Dr Wittenberger did our IUI and my surgery. He was so empathetic when it ended and even followed up with me in his personal time. I know it's not something doctors are particularly supposed to say but it made me feel so much better when he told me, "you're not going to leave this office without a baby". It made me feel so much more confident in our treatment and I am very confident he will finally give us our rainbow baby. I have had four miscarriages now.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael D. Wittenberger at Naval Medical Center?
I tend to guard my heart fiercely after our history of losses so I tend to prepare for the darker outcomes. If you come to NMC Balboa, prepare your bank account for the least favorable outcomes. Now on the happier side, you will have the most dedicated providers here and beside manner is always warm and kind
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael D. Wittenberger at Naval Medical Center?
I met with Dr. Healy as my initial doctor. She had to miss our cycle because she went TAD to Guam but when we did meet with her she ensured we understood all the medical lingo and the way she spoke to use made my husband and I feel like we were a team with our clinic. Our cycle was carried out by Dr. Wittenberger and he made sure I was comfortable with him performing our IUI, he even allowed my husband to insert the sample!
Describe the protocols Michael D. Wittenberger used in your cycles at Naval Medical Center and their degree of success.
I did an IUI in Dec 2021 with 5mg of letrozole and a trigger shot. I produced one mature follicle. It was an ectopic pregnancy and ruptured. My Fallopian tubes were removed and now IVF is our next step for carrying biological children. My follow up care was amazing. Dr. Wittenberger has taken over my overall care and he's just been awesome. He called a few days after my surgery to ask how I was doing and answer the 100 questions I had about IVF with them. Jan 2022 I was quoted $6990 for IVF and $1800 for a frozen transfer -the retrieval, creating the embryos, medicine, the transfer, and monitoring.
Describe your experience with Naval Medical Center.
It takes a hot minute to be seen here solely because as of Jan 2022, it's only Dr. Healy & Dr. Wittenberger running the show and he plans to retire this summer. It also takes a while for them to answer to phone so I blow up their office phone when I need to get ahold of them
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael D. Wittenberger at Naval Medical Center.
My husband and I are AD military so our IUI and meds were covered. IVF as of Jan 2022 was quoted at $6990 and a frozen transfer is $1800. I assume our medication will be covered for IVF, we'll find out.
Describe Michael D. Wittenberger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Naval Medical Center.
I haven't crossed this bridge yet
Michael D. Wittenberger
San Diego

care about their patients and their results. [Dr. Larry Laufer and colleagues] work day and night to help their patients grow their families...is extremely knowledgeable. He is compassionate, but practical. Sometime you may have to ask extra questions to get all of the details, but he is willing to explain everything in great length...extremely busy so it may take a while to get in...take their time with you...celebrate small victories, and grieve with you when you’re grieving.
Both doctors at this clinic [Naval Medical Center] genuinely care about their patients and their results. They work day and night to help their patients grow their families...This is a military facility, so meds were covered along with IUIs and sperm washing. They have a contract with SDFC for all IVF procedures, and those fees were a fraction of what we would pay with a civilian clinic. We paid for our IVF cycle along with PGT-a...This clinic is extremely busy so it may take a while to get in to see them! That being said, they take their time with you. They celebrate small victories, and grieve with you when you’re grieving. They are wonderful and kind.
How was your experience with Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
Dr. Laufer is extremely knowledgeable. He is compassionate, but practical. Sometime you may have to ask extra questions to get all of the details, but he is willing to explain everything in great length.
Ask the questions!
Both doctors at this clinic genuinely care about their patients and their results. They work day and night to help their patients grow their families.