6.2
6.2

4 Columbus Circle

2020, Consult
I've only gone to the monitoring location in Jericho NY. The [New Hope Fertility Center] office is small but clean, it looks new. The nurse director is informative. Scan was efficient. To enter the building early in the morning you need a code, which they never told me. Call and ask before you go...The coordinator is very quick to answer emails but as a patient, I would like to speak directly to the doctor or a nurse.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
I had my first appointment over the phone with Dr Zhang. He seems like a good person but it was hard to understand him sometimes. This is the first time I'm going through infertility treatments and had a lot of questions on the process. In addition, he did not review my chart and I could tell because after I told him some of my results, he changed his recommendation of my treatment. All communication is done via email or phone after this point and never with the doctor. I'm supposed to get a phone call from him after my next monitoring session and will assess if I want to continue 'working' with this doctor/clinic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
He is extremely busy and only has time for first patient appointments. It sounds like he speaks Mandarin so it might work out if you do too. Coordinators are responsive but a lot of times you want to talk to the doctor or even a nurse. Be prepared to talk to the coordinators or the front desk the most.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
I was only able to make an appointment with Dr Zhang for my first patient appointment. I was never able to contact him directly afterward. Any time I had a question, I had to email or call and communicate with a coordinator. I was told nurses were also very busy and I'd need a call back from them. Very impersonal treatment and you are treated like a number with no communication with doctor. Another practical point is that since he is not a native English speaker, it was difficult to understand him on the phone. If you want to go with Dr Zhang, maybe in person appointments would be better. He did not review my chart before my first patient appointment either.
Describe the protocols John Zhang used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I'm at the beginning of the process but he recommended ultra mini ivf for me, meaning all oral medication, because I have a low AMH level. I was researching a lot online and asked if he can use injectable medicine for me and said he'd check my next monitoring session. (When I say 'he', it refers to the team, not directly spoken to him.) He also said if the first round of oral medication didn't work he can prescribe injections. I am paying out of pocket for this treatment so I can't afford to go through multiple rounds of extractions. I read that his clinic performed a study that the success rate of ivf increases with the number of eggs. It doesn't make sense to me then why he wouldn't want to try and get more eggs even with low dose injections.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Uyen (Coordinator))
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
I've only gone to the monitoring location in Jericho NY. The office is small but clean, it looks new. The nurse director is informative. Scan was efficient. To enter the building early in the morning you need a code, which they never told me. Call and ask before you go.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center.
800 for unlimited monitoring but be aware that all the monitoring won't happen in one month. When I asked how many months it spans out, the coordinator told me it could be 2-3 months. So you're spending 1600-2400 for up to 3 months of monitoring.

2020, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Makarov] seemed to rarely remember me between visits, perhaps because I was an out of town patient who didn't monitor with her but did it locally where I live...The cycle that my eggs both failed to fertilize, she didn't even contact me for 2 weeks. Every time I had an appointment for a call, she called late, or changed the time, or called when I couldn't talk
[New Hope Fertility Center was] Covered by insurance, except PGT-A testing ($850/embryo), sperm freezing ($400), sedation for retrievals ($650)...They [nurses] email you with bad news, no "sorry to tell you this", no compassion, no care. They seem overly busy...They are efficient, but that gives an assrmbly-line feel. They are cheaper than other clinics, and were covered by my insurance, and were willing to work with an older (>43yo) patient which is why I stuck with them.
How was your experience with Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center?
I think many of the issues stem from the fact that she has too many patients to be able to even remember them, but she gives no indication that she's at all invested in your success. I feel like she could not give one hoot if I get pregnant, or not. The cycle that my eggs both failed to fertilize, she didn't even contact me for 2 weeks. Every time I had an appointment for a call, she called late, or changed the time, or called when I couldn't talk. If I suggested a treatment, she'd say "oh, I guess you can try that" - I am not the expert, I need your expertise to advise me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center?
Pick another doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center?
She seemed to rarely remember me between visits, perhaps because I was an out of town patient who didn't monitor with her but did it locally where I live. When she would call me, once she started talking about something that we had already discussed, and another time she seemed to think I was a new consult and said "how did you hear about us?".. umm I've been coming to you for 6 months, Doc.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Kulp Makarov used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Mini IVF with clomid, letrozole, follistim, ganirelix, HCG trigger. Always 150 units follistim. Sometimes birth control, sometimes orilissa to prime. Did some luteal phase retrievals. Retrieved between 1 and 5 eggs each retrieval. Zero normal embryos. INitially they recommends NICS (non invasive chromosome testing) for embryo abnormalities, but then they decided that is not accurate and changed to recommending send-out biopsies. I tried to retest 2 embryos which were NICS tested, and one disintegrated with thawing and was thrown out.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Different people email you all the time, often with contradictory instructions. They told me to take birth control, which I cannot do, and then said oh take this other med then (but I didn't have it, and you can't get it at a regular pharmacy). They email you with bad news, no "sorry to tell you this", no compassion, no care. They seem overly busy.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
They seem too money-hungry. I feel they let you just keep cycling over and over without changing things and don't really care if you get pregnant or not, as long as you're paying. They are quite robotic and impersonable. They are efficient, but that gives an assrmbly-line feel. They are cheaper than other clinics, and were covered by my insurance, and were willing to work with an older (>43yo) patient which is why I stuck with them.
Efficient and fast.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center.
Describe Jennifer Kulp Makarov's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
They offered to transfer multiple due to my age and abnormal embryos.

2020, Unsuccessful
We sadly did not feel like a patient or like a human while treated by Dr. Makarov. I don't think she remembered the details about my case or situation. I often had to remind her of my situation. I very rarely saw her during office visits...[she] called me hours late for phone appointments...Multiple times, I would find out that the "plan" and course of treatment we had agreed upon, was no longer an option and was completely off the table
The office [at New Hope Fertility Center] unfortunately did not stagger monitoring appointments...Many of us would arrive around 6am and wait outside until the building was unlocked, then wait in the lobby to take the elevator upstairs, then wait in the waiting area...very disingenuous in the claims they make about treatment options and then the actual treatment they put you through
The first time we met with Dr. Makarov in a consultation, she seemed gentle which I really appreciated. She walked us through her suggestions for treatment and highlighted some of the treatments and procedures that her practice was known for and some things they were "pioneering". We were really drawn to the non-invasive and gentle way they claimed to approach infertility treatments. Initially she claimed, that I would only take oral medications and then 1-3 injections total for an egg retrieval cycle. She explained a new fertilization process that they use that is less invasive to the egg when injecting it with the sperm. And she explained that they only use local anesthesia for egg retrievals which is more gentle on the women's body as you don't have to be completely knocked out. I was really drawn to all of these claims as my partner and I have MFI and I am fairly young so I didn't feel that I needed the most invasive and intense treatment right away. Sadly, every single one of the claims Dr. Makarov made ended up being false and I didn't find out until right before the course of treatment or procedure. For example, right before I began my egg retrieval cycle, I was told I would actually be doing multiple injections/day. I was confused as I had been told there would only be oral medication plus 1-3 injections toward the end of the cycle. At that point, I wasn't too upset and I followed all the instructions of course. Then, a couple days before the egg retrieval procedure, I asked about the less invasive form of fertilization that Dr. Makarov had claimed we could utilize and she said "oh that is just experimental; we can't do that". I was really caught off guard as this was one of the primary reasons we had even selected this clinic, but since we were just a couple days out from the procedure, we moved forward. Then I went to sign the paperwork for the anesthesia for the procedure and I asked if I could do local anesthesia as Dr. Makarov had described to me. The nurse responded by saying "I don't think you'll be able to tolerate the pain; you should just get fully knocked out". I was again completely taken off guard and now I was too scared to do local anesthesia only after this nurse told me the pain would be unbearable so I of course opted for full anesthesia. The first egg retrieval cycle completely failed. We retrieved 11 eggs but 0 made it to blastocyst. We had thought that we would perhaps switch up my treatment plan for the next cycle since the first one completely failed. And when I spoke to Dr. Makarov on the phone, she said that we would do things differently. But when the time came around, they put me on the exact same treatment plan and medication list as the first time. I tried to keep asking why we weren't switching things up like Dr. Makarov said we were going to, but I was just told "this is what Dr. Makarov is prescribing you." It made me feel like she completely forgot about my previous cycle and my situation as a whole. The day of the second egg retrieval was extremely upsetting and stressful and was the "final straw" for us in deciding to switch clinics and doctors. The entire cycle leading up to the second egg retrieval, I had been trying to stress that we would like to use a different vial of frozen sperm from my husband to inseminate the eggs. My husband froze sperm before his cancer treatment and that was what we were using for IVF. The first egg retrieval cycle (which failed), the lab used one vial of sperm and none of the eggs made it to blastocyst. I wanted them to use a different vial of sperm for the second retrieval as we had no shortage of vials and we felt that there was no point to keep trying with a vial that obviously hadn't worked from the first cycle. The embryologists really wanted to just keep using the first vial again. I believe their thinking was they wanted to preserve the vials of sperm for us for future use but we have 20+ vials frozen so we were comfortable using a second vial for this cycle. But the embryologists essentially put their foot down and refused to use a second vial. I had to try to get Dr. Makarov to intervene and speak to the embryologists on our behalf so that they would follow the instructions and use a second vial. The morning of the retrieval, I was thrown back and forth between nurses and staff trying to explain what we needed and trying to get Dr. Makarov to instruct the embryologists downstairs in the lab. Dr. Makarov completely avoided us and wouldn't speak with us. Finally, one of the PAs made a phone call and then rushed me back downstairs as my procedure was scheduled to begin in 5 minutes. It was just a really stressful way to go into a procedure and we felt that we couldn't trust the staff at the clinic or the lab after that. As I mentioned, that was the final straw that led us to switch doctors and clinics. Dr. Makarov didn't perform either of my egg retrievals.
I truly can't recommend that anyone see Dr. Makarov. Luckily there are lots of other great fertility doctors in the New York City area and I hope that any prospective patients will take these reviews into consideration when making their decision. Don't be swayed by their claims of new and non-invasive treatments as they do not follow through.
We sadly did not feel like a patient or like a human while treated by Dr. Makarov. I don't think she remembered the details about my case or situation. I often had to remind her of my situation. I very rarely saw her during office visits - perhaps two times after the initial consultation over the course of 4 months. And the couple times that I did see her in the office, she was very rushed and unorganized and didn't seem to know what was going on with my cycle. She gave me a lot of contradicting information which was really frustrating and hurtful. Multiple times, I would find out that the "plan" and course of treatment we had agreed upon, was no longer an option and was completely off the table. Essentially, the reasons that I picked this clinic, ended up not being options. I felt tricked and manipulated and had I known they were going to backtrack on most of their claims, I wouldn't have come to this clinic in the first place. I do understand that there has to be a high level of flexibility with these types of treatments as you are being monitored and as the doctors see how things are progressing. But overall, I felt that Dr. Makarov and this clinic were very disingenuous in the claims they make about treatment options and then the actual treatment they put you through. Aside from visits in person, I was also dissatisfied with the way I was treated when I had phone appointments set up with Dr. Makarov. She would frequently call me up to 8+ hours late and made me feel like I was an inconvenience. Once when I tried to ask follow up questions following a failed procedure, she told me she couldn't answer any detailed questions because she was driving. It was hard to work my full-time job when I was constantly waiting on a phone call that was pushed and pushed throughout the entire day.
For both my egg retrievals with Dr. Makarov, I was on Clomid (oral), Letrazol (oral), and Gonal-F (injection). I triggered with Ovidrel once and Lupron once. I also took Orilissa to prevent premature ovulation.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
I concluded that the nursing staff was simply too overworked and overbooked to do a good job. They were incredibly unorganized and made a lot of mistakes but I truly think think this is because they were overworked and understaffed. Every morning for monitoring, there would only be one nurse in charge of doing the blood work for every single woman who came in. And they didn't stagger appointment times for blood work. It's just first come, first serve. So everyone would arrive at 6am, stand outside until the building doors opened at 6:30am, then stand in the lobby and wait for the elevators, then go upstairs and wait in the waiting area. I think that they simply had too many patients at one time because I would often have to wait up to two hours just for routine bloodwork and monitoring. The one nurse who was in charge of bloodwork for everyone was awesome. She was so quick and kind and attentive. But she was just way too overworked and they should have had 3-4 nurses doing her job. There was plenty of space for more; there were 3 chairs for drawing blood but they only ever used one. Otherwise, the nursing staff all seem like nice people but they just must be poorly informed because I would often receive incorrect instructions related to my medications from my nurse! And I would have to call her out and remind her that Dr. Makarov had actually said I would be taking another medicine. And she would say "Oh yes, ok take that medicine then." I did not feel that they were thorough or organized.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Overall, the clinic's biggest weakness and the reason we decided to switch to a different clinic/doctor is that they do not follow through on the things they claim. Additionally, it would be great if they could be a bit more organized in regards to appointment times to cut down on the hours of waiting for routine monitoring appointments. And finally, the communication was really non-existent. Very hard to get responses out of anyone and unclear who I should be reaching out to with questions.
The office unfortunately did not stagger monitoring appointments, so a large group of women would show up quite early in an attempt to get in early. Many of us would arrive around 6am and wait outside until the building was unlocked, then wait in the lobby to take the elevator upstairs, then wait in the waiting area. The longest I waited for monitoring was 2 hours.
I believe that Dr. Makarov recommends single embryo transfer which is what I wanted and so I was happy with approach.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
A few more specific area of pain were... * it was very difficult to get this clinic to send my records over to my new clinic when I decided to switch. I had to call for weeks to try to get through to the right person who could fax over my records and I was frequently referred back and forth between departments. * I was instructed to take the wrong trigger medication and I had to correct the nurse. * Dr. Makarov called me hours late for phone appointments. I do understand that as a doctor, her schedule isn't always predictable. But I think if she is going to call 8+ hours after our scheduled phone appointment time, the office should notify the patient so they aren't waiting on the call.
New Hope Fertility Center
He [Dr. Zhang] seems to be a very knowledgeable doctor and I really love the fact that he is using the Mini IVF and doesn’t feed the patient a lot of medication. Unfortunately I didn’t get to talk to him a lot and can’t say if he was behind my treatment or somebody else even if he was in Charge of my case...[he]is so busy and has so many patients that he doesn’t have time to even talk to you he is there for the initial consult and after that you are only dealing with nurses
Even the nurses [at New Hope Fertility Center] are very busy so is hard to communicate trough them with a doctor. If you go to the clinic or write an email on the portal almost each time it is a different nurse who will answer or some times two of them will answer with different responses...$500 for first appointment. Retrieval process plus frozen egg transfer plus monitoring plus pgt testing for 2 embryos cost me more than $12 000.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
He seems to be a very knowledgeable doctor and I really love the fact that he is using the Mini IVF and doesn’t feed the patient a lot of medication. Unfortunately I didn’t get to talk to him a lot and can’t say if he was behind my treatment or somebody else even if he was in Charge of my case.
If you have other medical problems find doctors to take care of them or monitor you for them because at NH they only check the blood work that are at interest to them not other things that can be related to your fertility issues. Not testing your thyroid hormones or things like that and rose could be very important in your journey.
Doctor is so busy and has so many patients that he doesn’t have time to even talk to you he is there for the initial consult and after that you are only dealing with nurses. If he does make time to talk to you it will be on the hallway for 5 min. I don’t think he even has time to review your chart and lives that to God knows who. You’ll never know who takes care of your case you’re just told what to do and that’s it. You can’t trust the treatment or ask questions because you do not know who to ask since your doctor is not available and every time you are talking to a different nurse or different doctor.
He used a Mini IVF for 5 days :Clomid, Letrozole, Follistim and other 2 days of Letrozole and Follistim then retrieval. For transfer I was doing Progesterone Estrogen, Lovenox and Prednisone. Stimulation was minimal and still got 2 good embryos.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The majority of the nurses do not speak very good English and is hard to communicate with them. Even the nurses are very busy so is hard to communicate trough them with a doctor. If you go to the clinic or write an email on the portal almost each time it is a different nurse who will answer or some times two of them will answer with different responses.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The clinic is very busy so don’t expect for somebody to look closely at your case. They are just looking at your blood work and ultrasound and not any other impact of other disease that you might have. They have a very good embryology they even have a way to mature your eggs if they weren’t when they did the retrieval. Retrieval doctors and transfer doctors were very delicate and I did not need sedation. Be careful with what you pay and keep the receipts. From time to time ask for statements Otherwise they might surprise you with extra bills. Communication is very poor between doctors, nurses and patients. Very hard to get some answers because is hard to get to someone who listens to what you have to say and have the power to do something about it. Technicians sometimes will give you their opinion which is different from the doctors opinion so you will be put in doubt. You’ll never know if what is going on is good or bad you’ll just go with the wave... If I would have had Dr Zhang taking care of me and communicating with me all the time I would have been very pleased because I really trust that he could make a difference for me but since he didn’t and had to deal each time with a different person I am really confused with this clinic and not satisfied with the results as well.
Monitoring was ok they have 6 rooms for that. Some ultrasound equipment is better than other.
New Hope Fertility Center

She [Dr. Makarov] was nice, but I always felt I was bothering her by asking questions because she looked so exhausted and doesn't seem very invested in my success. I was given minimum information and always felt insecure with my very first fertility treatment. After I moved to another clinic I realized she was not a good doctor for me to work with...
They [nurse of New Hope Fertility Center] made me go through blood test and ultrasound when I didn't need them, because I wasn't on my cycle. I asked them several times to make sure if I had to take the blood out and pay for it, as one of the nurses said I didn't need to, but they made me go through it anyway and billed me later. What was worse was that they lost the sample and I didn't hear back the result. I hope it didn't get misplaced by someone else's.
She was nice, but I always felt I was bothering her by asking questions because she looked so exhausted and doesn't seem very invested in my success. I was given minimum information and always felt insecure with my very first fertility treatment. After I moved to another clinic I realized she was not a good doctor for me to work with.
She will give you minimum information so be ready to become your own advocate and do your research to ask questions
She didn't seem very invested in patients' success. She always looked tired.
IUI with clomid
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Oksana)
She was a sweet person, but the operation was a mess.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
They have many options of IVF but I'm not sure if that was really for us patients. They might just want us to spend money. You don't have any privacy as your name is displayed on the big TV monitors on the wall.
IUI was for 2000 and my insurance didn't cover any of it. There was unexpected bills to given on the day of procedure as a surprise. I really don't recommend this clinic.
Not sure.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
They made me go through blood test and ultrasound when I didn't need them, because I wasn't on my cycle. I asked them several times to make sure if I had to take the blood out and pay for it, as one of the nurses said I didn't need to, but they made me go through it anyway and billed me later. What was worse was that they lost the sample and I didn't hear back the result. I hope it didn't get misplaced by someone else's.
New Hope Fertility Center
It's hard to assess the doctor [Dr. Jennifer Kulp Makarov] because so many things have gone wrong but it's unclear if they were her fault or caused by bad communication and poor planning by the practice. There have been times where we've felt jerked around, unprepared, and misled. Throughout it all she has been kind and caring but our confidence has eroded...You have to be your own advocate. They routinely give contradictory information, give you urgent instructions to take medication they haven't bothered to prescribe, and leave you teetering on the brink of messing up each cycle.
It was totally unpredictable whether you'd wait for 10 minutes or 30 [at New Hope Fertility Center]...You have to be your own advocate. They routinely give contradictory information, give you urgent instructions to take medication they haven't bothered to prescribe, and leave you teetering on the brink of messing up each cycle...It's hard to assess the doctor because so many things have gone wrong but it's unclear if they were her fault or caused by bad communication and poor planning by the practice. There have been times where we've felt jerked around, unprepared, and misled. Throughout it all she has been kind and caring but our confidence has eroded.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
It was totally unpredictable whether you'd wait for 10 minutes or 30.
New Hope Fertility Center
He [Dr. Meir Olcha] was one of the only doctors who was open to trying to new things. And exploring possibilities of my failures such as undiagnosed endometriosis and empty follicle syndrome. He worked WITH me. And that felt amazing and we wound up having success...he would call and speak to Me after every failed retrieval. He was open to questions and trying different protocols. He understood me and was willing to help me as an individual and not just like everyone else...
The clinic [New Hope Fertility Center] was okay. The nurses were not. Communication was the worst part at that clinic. Strengths were that they will take any patient regardless of how low their levels are...[Dr. Meir Olcha] was open to questions and trying different protocols...He worked WITH me. And that felt amazing and we wound up having success...
How was your experience with Meir Olcha at New Hope Fertility Center?
He was one of the only doctors who was open to trying to new things. And exploring possibilities of my failures such as undiagnosed endometriosis and empty follicle syndrome. He worked WITH me. And that felt amazing and we wound up having success
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Meir Olcha at New Hope Fertility Center?
Talk with him. Tell Him your concerns and things you’d like to try. And he likely will be open to it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Meir Olcha at New Hope Fertility Center?
Because he would call and speak to Me after every failed retrieval. He was open to questions and trying different protocols. He understood me and was willing to help me as an individual and not just like everyone else
Describe the protocols Meir Olcha used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Too many to list. But what worked to help with empty follicles was a double trigger
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
I saw olcha at new hope. The clinic was okay. The nurses were not. Communication was the worst part at that clinic. Strengths were that they will take any patient regardless of how low their levels are
Describe Meir Olcha's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
Meir Olcha
New Hope Fertility Center

She [Dr. Makarov] never explained why did anything. First cycle started with pills, and didn’t have shots til the end. Resulted in 3 eggs. Next she started with pills and shots. Resulted in 13 eggs. Next round she did pills and 1/2 the amount of shots. Results 8 eggs. Never discussed why the change. Finally after the third round I asked her why she thought we were getting numerous eggs but no normal ones. Her response was she basically didn’t know. It felt like she just hadn’t thought about it.
They [New Hope] almost had me cancel a cycle because on my retrieval day they had a mistake in their system saying we owed money. We didn’t, we paid the full amount the day before. They were causally looking into it until I insisted that I get my sonogram so they can do my retrieval. One tech said sorry, if you haven’t paid we can’t do anything. She was so rude. Especially because we did pay. They never apologized.
What I says before. She was nice, but not very invested in our success. When we came for the follow up after retrieving the eggs and them being abnormal she hadn’t even looked at the results until we were in her office.
Keep on top of everything. Make sure they are giving you the proper information and that you get it on time.
You only spoke to her when you were there. She seemed very h concerned with the results. We have 13 eggs retrieved in our first cycle using the shots. None of them came back normal. She never addressed that, it was just onto the next cycle with no discussion. She was nice when you were in the office why her, but felt very detached from our success
She never explained why did anything. First cycle started with pills, and didn’t have shots til the end. Resulted in 3 eggs. Next she started with pills and shots. Resulted in 13 eggs. Next round she did pills and 1/2 the amount of shots. Results 8 eggs. Never discussed why the change. Finally after the third round I asked her why she thought we were getting numerous eggs but no normal ones. Her response was she basically didn’t know. It felt like she just hadn’t thought about it.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The ones they took your blood were very nice. They had the most compassion out of any at New Hope.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
You are a number. Especially if you are upstairs. The receptionists do not care that this is one of the most sensitive things someone could go through. The actual office is lovely. You must keep on top of them and insist on the treatment that you want. If you call and want to speak with a doctor they will tell you it’s not possible. You have to insist and make a scene. They almost had me cancel a cycle because on my retrieval day they had a mistake in their system saying we owed money. We didn’t, we paid the full amount the day before. They were causally looking into it until I insisted that I get my sonogram so they can do my retrieval. One tech said sorry, if you haven’t paid we can’t do anything. She was so rude. Especially because we did pay. They never apologized.
This was actually great. You had a large window and rarely a long wait time. The Dr did most of the sonograms, if she was there. She only came in 3 days a week. In 3 retrieval she never did ours
It’s was about $6000 plus medication. This was only retrieval. We never got to transfer.
They prefer single
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
They were just disorganized. They would wait to tell you what you needed even if it required you to go to a pharmacy. Ine time they never emailed me with directions. They often didn’t call in prescriptions but the pharmacy thankfully knew us and knew it was a mistake and would give us the prescription.
New Hope Fertility Center

I saw him [Dr. Zhang] three times so far, most information gotten from the nurses and ultrasound techs around me. Things felt rushed with him, not much of a personal touch in my opinion... He's very knowledgeable and does cutting edge stuff. However he's not very present. I would like to be able to see my doctor more often or feel like I'm being heard. Most of my questions were answered by ultrasound techs.... We did an ultra mini IVF cycle which involved clomid and femara tabs only. I was able to produce 4 mature eggs which all got fertilized, however I ended up with one very good grade blastocyst.
Very clean and calming atmosphere. Things move very fast there [New Hope Fertility Center]. There's a whiteboard which flashes your name and also guides you on where to go. Everyone is courteous but it tends to feel very impersonal since they have so many patients. They also communicate mainly by email which can be a good thing. Questions are answered promptly. I would also say that costs are very reasonable there.... Reasonable. My ultra mini IVF so far has cost about 10k
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
He's very knowledgeable and does cutting edge stuff. However he's not very present. I would like to be able to see my doctor more often or feel like I'm being heard. Most of my questions were answered by ultrasound techs. Also because I understood the plan for the day I have found myself asking for things I was told during the previous appointment, that the people I interacted with on the day of were not aware
Ask for a full explanation of the pros and cons of each step or procedure
I saw him three times so far, most information gotten from the nurses and ultrasound techs around me. Things felt rushed with him, not much of a personal touch in my opinion
We did an ultra mini IVF cycle which involved clomid and femara tabs only. I was able to produce 4 mature eggs which all got fertilized, however I ended up with one very good grade blastocyst. We also did PGS testing for aneuploidy which came back aneuploid. I think I shouldn't have done PGS testing on my only blastocyst especially since I have never had a miscarriage. I was able to get them to do a saline sonogram which showed i had a possible polyp and was then scheduled for hysteroscopy.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Very clean and calming atmosphere. Things move very fast there. There's a whiteboard which flashes your name and also guides you on where to go. Everyone is courteous but it tends to feel very impersonal since they have so many patients. They also communicate mainly by email which can be a good thing. Questions are answered promptly. I would also say that costs are very reasonable there.
Reasonable. My ultra mini IVF so far has cost about 10k
New Hope Fertility Center

What he [Dr. Zaher Merhi] explained made sense but then I felt rushed into an egg retrieval that I didn’t feel confident would work considering the cycle before (my cycles are very unpredictable) they thought I had two cysts. Then 9 days later they thought they were eggs and good to retrieve and we went in and got nothing...He has great bedside manner but I am unsure that he really has the best course of action as a physician. He is willing to try unconventional things.
They [staff at New Hope Fertility Center ] don’t communicate plans well or call everything is via email...You check in and then wait for your name to show on the Tv screens and go in for blood then back out to wait for your name on the tv to see a different nurse for ultrasound and then back out to wait for the nurse (coordinator) to call you back to discuss and the doctor if he is available. I don’t like this approach it makes you feel like a number. But Dr. Merhi’s team is very responsive through their email portal.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
I had renewed hope after seeing him as he was confident that we could use my eggs as opposed to donor even tho my first RE at the age of 30 had told me I needed to move to donor eggs. What he explained made sense but then I felt rushed into an egg retrieval that I didn’t feel confident would work considering the cycle before (my cycles are very unpredictable) they thought I had two cysts. Then 9 days later they thought they were eggs and good to retrieve and we went in and got nothing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
His team is very responsive and he has great bedside manner and remembers personal details about myself and my husband.
Describe the protocols Zaher Merhi used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
He had me try a 14 day course of BC pills in an attempt to lower my FSH. The last BW I had done 2 months prior was 79. I had to stop after 11 days as I had gained 9 lbs. Coming back in after that my FSH was down to 10 and I don’t remember the last time it was that low. At the ultrasound they thought I had two cysts. I had a period. And came back in for more BW and ultrasound on CD 9 after taking estrace for 14 days and they said I was good to go and rushed me in for an egg retrieval 2 days later. Turns out as I suspected they were still the two cysts from before. So we got nothing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center.
I don’t like how they run their clinic. You wait for your name on a board and go in to get your blood then back out and wait for your name on a board and back into a different person for the sonogram and then back out and the nurse talks to you and the doctor if you request.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The way they treat patients through a cycle. You check in and then wait for your name to show on the Tv screens and go in for blood then back out to wait for your name on the tv to see a different nurse for ultrasound and then back out to wait for the nurse (coordinator) to call you back to discuss and the doctor if he is available. I don’t like this approach it makes you feel like a number. But Dr. Merhi’s team is very responsive through their email portal.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
The communication was very poor. They knew I was unavailable for what would have been the next cycle and when I called with CD1 of my period while I was on a work trip and wasn’t able to come in until CD10, at that visit they decided that what they previously thoughts were cysts were follicles and that we had to come in for an egg retrieval. I got this information via email and when I called rather confused and with concerns was told that the doctor was sure. They don’t communicate plans well or call everything is via email.
New Hope Fertility Center

Dr. Makarov is very nice and she helped me understand how the whole IVF journey would go as it was my first time. She encouraged us to switch our insurance company so that we could have more IVF cycles for the new year which we didn't realize was an option. A lot of times I felt a little lost as to what the big picture plan would be which I guess can be the nature of IVF...You may be someone who won't need too much meds/stimulation to be successful but if you're like me (DOR), you may need more and I wish I would have figured this out earlier and started somewhere else.
They [New Hope Fertility Center staff] get you in and out very quickly and the whole place is a very well-oiled machine. The Billing department is very on top of it and good at explaining the costs etc. The clinic itself is very conveniently located and has great hours for monitoring. Again, understand their specialty which is 'natural and mini IVF'...Monitoring was any time from 7am-2pm during the week and 7-12pm on the weekends. There were a lot of different ultrasound technicians that would perform ultrasounds when the doctor was too busy or wasn't in (on the weekends)
Understand that NHFC is a very very busy clinic that specializes in 'natural IVF'. You may be someone who won't need too much meds/stimulation to be successful but if you're like me (DOR), you may need more and I wish I would have figured this out earlier and started somewhere else.
The clinic is super busy and it was hard to get a chance to talk to her even though she was doing my ultrasounds almost every day. She is very nice and happy to explain things but super busy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The nurses were really nice and caring. Sometimes I wasn't sure if they seemed to remember me and my specific needs/issues which I know is hard because they must have so many patients that they are caring for at one time.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
They get you in and out very quickly and the whole place is a very well-oiled machine. The Billing department is very on top of it and good at explaining the costs etc. The clinic itself is very conveniently located and has great hours for monitoring. Again, understand their specialty which is 'natural and mini IVF'. They offer regular IVF but didn't start there for me and maybe they should have.
Monitoring was any time from 7am-2pm during the week and 7-12pm on the weekends. There were a lot of different ultrasound technicians that would perform ultrasounds when the doctor was too busy or wasn't in (on the weekends). The clinic seemed to hire a bunch of new technicians when I was going there and it just felt like so many different people were caring for you that I would worry info would be lost among all of these moving parts.
New Hope Fertility Center
[Dr. Zhang is a] Knowledgable and experienced doctor but overall care lack communication and interpersonal care...dont expect to be updated about course of treatment and explained why certain procedures are done...barely saw the doctor, only came into the clinic to do blood work and ultrasound and communicated with others such as RNs through email. Communication through email was not always responsive. I needed to know why after each cycle, I still haven't conceived yet and if there were any concerns in regards to my fertility health but was not communicated to me. Poor communication and not an interpersonal clinic.
barely saw the doctor [at New Hope Fertility Center] , only came into the clinic to do blood work and ultrasound and communicated with others such as RNs through email. Communication through email was not always responsive. I needed to know why after each cycle, I still haven't conceived yet and if there were any concerns in regards to my fertility health but was not communicated to me. Poor communication and not an interpersonal clinic.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
clinic with experienced doctors and nurses. they try to be professional and compassionate. the clinic site looks well maintained. But truly lacking in interpersonal communication and you will be left in the dark about the plan of treatment even if you are in the medical profession. The clinic feels like a 'baby mill'.
it was definitely expensive for just bloodwork and sonogram
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
i missed one dose of oral pills to stimulate ovulation multiple times because medication was not called in to my pharmacy and since the clinic closes early, I was not able to contact anyone to put in my time sensitive medications so I only took 4/5 oral pills.
New Hope Fertility Center
He [Dr. Zhang] does not look at every case thoroughly and adjust treatment accordingly. He changes treatment plan with high risk. In one of my cycles, he ignored a dominant follicle and gave me clomid to grow the other follicles. When the other follicles did not grow, he advised to retrieve the dominant one which was 30 mm and rotten... I’ve done mini Ivf and natural ivf. The procedures were good. However there were a lack of proper data analysis to customize and alter treatment
Each cycle is about 5550 without medication... Good condition, toilets are sometimes dirty, hygiene ...... Accounts [New Hope Fertility] are difficult to communicate with... laboratory is quick but they don’t process blood work after 2 pm in case of emergency. Bad communication between NHFC and genetic test labs... Well organized but not much of an emotional support... I’ve done mini Ivf and natural ivf. The procedures were good.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
He does not look at every case thoroughly and adjust treatment accordingly. He changes treatment plan with high risk. In one of my cycles, he ignored a dominant follicle and gave me clomid to grow the other follicles. When the other follicles did not grow, he advised to retrieve the dominant one which was 30 mm and rotten
Don’t put lots of hope.
Not looking into each patient case.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Well organized but not much of an emotional support
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Good condition, toilets are sometimes dirty, hygiene ...... Accounts are difficult to communicate with... laboratory is quick but they don’t process blood work after 2 pm in case of emergency. Bad communication between NHFC and genetic test labs
Each cycle is about 5550 without medication
New Hope Fertility Center

He [Dr. Liu] doesn't remember your chart and has no clue what he is doing. After my 1st failed embryo implantation, he failed to convey what his plan was to improve chances for 2nd embryo transfer. My 2nd embryo did not implant and he only told me after that it was not a good embryo and had very little chances of implantation...Poor communicator...never available to answer my questions or guide me about the approach
There are a lot of nurses at New Hope and there is no 1 single nurse you will communicate with. I had a different nurse every time I went there or someone who sent me a protocol for medications. If you have any questions, the nurses are not very fast to respond to/ get in touch with...The clinic failed to inform anything about medications or why the plan was changed...They have monitoring hours from only 7am-3pm. You cannot book an appointment and sometimes the wait time was almost an hour to get blood work and sonogram. They don't handle special requests such as if you have to leave early, etc. For instance, one day I needed to get out by a certain time to catch the train and they were like-"we can't do anything about it, you have to wait"
How was your experience with Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
Strengths: None Weaknesses: Poor communicator. It is nearly impossible to understand what Dr Liu says because of his accent. During one of my Hysteroscopy procedures, he started talking to me in Chinese without thinking that I don't know the language. He doesn't remember your chart and has no clue what he is doing. After my 1st failed embryo implantation, he failed to convey what his plan was to improve chances for 2nd embryo transfer. My 2nd embryo did not implant and he only told me after that it was not a good embryo and had very little chances of implantation.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
Do not waste your time to see him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
The staff and doctors at New Hope are just trying to process your blood work and sonogram. They don't take a look at your history and don't remember which medications you have been taking. Dr Liu was never available to answer my questions or guide me about the approach
Describe the protocols Zitao Liu used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I was given Follistim for about 10 days before egg retrieval. Post embryo transfer, I was taking Progesterone in oil shots to help the embryo implant and increase progesterone in blood. My endometrium lining is also on the thinner side, so I was taking estrogen supplements every day
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Strengths: Mini ivf for anyone looking for less invasive IVF Weaknesses: Majority of staff is Chinese here, so it is very tough to understand what they are saying including Dr Zhang. No communications about treatment plan/ changes in protocol. Billing is very slow as well. They would keep sending me bills instead of getting it from insurance and would never respond to my emails. Almost feels like a mill..too many people and no personalized approach
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center.
My insurance covered most of it but i paid around $2k for genetic testing, medications and copay
Describe Zitao Liu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
My doctor recommended single embryo transfer as he thought I had a smaller body frame and we should avoid any risks with twins
Zitao Liu
New Hope Fertility Center

Talking to Dr. Merhi for our inital consultation, he was fantastic. Warm, personable and seemed to be very confident. After that, I was basically handed off to nurses and not allowed to speak to the Doctor anymore. ...They push you into not having anesthesia during the egg retrievals at New Hope. I pushed back initially, explaining that my ovaries had a tendency to hide, and that was uncomfortable with just getting an ultrasound. But I trusted them, and did the procedure with only a uterine local. It was traumatizing. They had to bring in a nurse from the other room to push on my stomach to get to my ovary. The constant filling my uterus with liquids made me think of an abortion, which is not what you want to be thinking of when the doctor is retrieving your eggs.
The lobby is nice [at New Hope Fertility Center], and they seem to be well organized on the surface. But they are flashy with no substance. The nursing staff is disorganized, with too many cooks in the kitchen. You have to just know what to do. You wait for your name to flash on the screen to get bloodwork done (it says your chair number). Then you go back to the waiting room to wait for your name & the ultrasound room. To go to the ultrasound room, you walk through the bloodwork area and through a bunch of nurses, who say nothing to you. They do your ultrasound and just leave. Very impersonal, you're just a number.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
They push you into not having anesthesia during the egg retrievals at New Hope. I pushed back initially, explaining that my ovaries had a tendency to hide, and that was uncomfortable with just getting an ultrasound. But I trusted them, and did the procedure with only a uterine local. It was traumatizing. They had to bring in a nurse from the other room to push on my stomach to get to my ovary. The constant filling my uterus with liquids made me think of an abortion, which is not what you want to be thinking of when the doctor is retrieving your eggs. They told me it would take 5 minutes, it was closer to 30. Dr. Merhi took a break, as I was in so much pain. He said there were two eggs that he could get to, and I said to just keep going (now I realize that they should have stopped. I was crying and very upset). They kept going, and Dr. Merhi kept apologizing. The egg quality was bad, so neither eggs got past the operating room.
Dr. Merhi seems like a very nice person, but DO NOT GO TO THIS CLINIC. What they do and what they say are two very different things.
Talking to Dr. Merhi for our inital consultation, he was fantastic. Warm, personable and seemed to be very confident. After that, I was basically handed off to nurses and not allowed to speak to the Doctor anymore. Plus, the waiting room is like an upscale DMV.
He wanted to do mini-IVF, as I have low ovarian reserve. First cycle, birth control pills, then half a clomid for 7 days. Second (cancelled) cycle, birth control pills and 1/4 clomid for 7 days. He said that my previous clinic had been "overfeeding" my eggs, and he'd had much success with this method. No results produced whatsoever.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Samantha, Joanna, Laura, Iris, etc)
Disorganized and awful. The nurses (there are more than I can keep track of) all send you different emails. You ask them a question and the all give you different answers because there's no communication.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The lobby is nice, and they seem to be well organized on the surface. But they are flashy with no substance. The nursing staff is disorganized, with too many cooks in the kitchen. You have to just know what to do. You wait for your name to flash on the screen to get bloodwork done (it says your chair number). Then you go back to the waiting room to wait for your name & the ultrasound room. To go to the ultrasound room, you walk through the bloodwork area and through a bunch of nurses, who say nothing to you. They do your ultrasound and just leave. Very impersonal, you're just a number.
It felt like an upscale DMV. You checked in, and waited to see your name come up on a TV screen in the lobby that sent you to bloodwork or the ultrasound room.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center.
It was covered by my insurance.
Describe Zaher Merhi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
The reason why we went there - they bank embryos. I'd previously only done fresh cycles, and it wasn't working. They do multiple embryo transfer, but I think that was because of my age.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
They would tell me things at the very last minute (5pm when my pharmacy is closed and expect me to be able to get fertility medication). They would say "You have your trigger shot?" when it was never ordered.
New Hope Fertility Center

Dr Merhi did not even recognize me when I saw him in the clinic after the first initial consultation. When the transfer ended in a chemical pregnancy, he did not reach out to discuss next steps or share condolences. During the initial consultation he assured us that he would be the only doctor performing any procedures (transfer, water sono, practice transfer) on me. He didn't care to tell me the week before my transfer that he was not going to be in the clinic. Neither did he return my email after he returned to the clinic (which was after my transfer).
The clinic's [New Hope Fertility Center's] environment is very nice, calm and bright with daylight. There is a big electronic screen that shows you when your turn is up. The office is also conveniently located across the street from a subway stop. The appointments with their doctors are always over 1 hour wait. NO RESPECT for patient's time. When you ask where the doctor is, they tell you the doctor is in the OR.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr Merhi was very warm and provided a lot of details on the day of the initial consultation. He peppered us with follow up emails after the initial consultation. I never saw him in my morning monitoring appointments and he didn't contact me about the transfer, before or after.
Find a different doctor.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The team of nurses were always prompt to send my monitoring results with instructions. Any questions I send they always respond within a day or 12 hours.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The clinic's environment is very nice, calm and bright with daylight. There is a big electronic screen that shows you when your turn is up. The office is also conveniently located across the street from a subway stop. The appointments with their doctors are always over 1 hour wait. NO RESPECT for patient's time. When you ask where the doctor is, they tell you the doctor is in the OR.
$3800 for FET. $350 for initial consultation. $500 for water sono.
New Hope only transfers 1 embryo at a time.
New Hope Fertility Center

The facility works very much like a mill. Your name pops up on a screen when you are supposed to go to one room or another and often when you arrive as directed, the nurses don't know why you're there.... The facility was clean and the staff was clearly competent. However, there were frequently billing errors so that's something patients should focus on. New Hope was not in my insurance carrier's Center of Excellence so I paid for all care out of pocket.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zhang did an excellent job of managing my expectations given my personal circumstances. He was even able to tell me (which he later substantiated via ultrasound) where my fibroids were located based on my description of my menstrual cycles since stopping birth control pills. The RE I saw after Dr. Zhang shared some things with me that suggested IUI was an irresponsible course of treatment for me given the placement of my fibroids. Having said that, I have no regrets about having tried the less invasive procedure because I always would have been curious if we'd gone straight to IVF.
We did three cycles of Clomid, only two of which we completed with IUI. A fill-in doctor convinced my husband that the risk of multiples was too great during our first cycle so we didn't do IUI. However, given my age, the chance of pregnancy was so low he needn't have worried we'd end up with multiples. The second cycle the dose of Clomid was lowered and we didn't get pregnant. The third cycle, the dose of Clomid was returned to the original and we didn't get pregnant. However, Dr. Zhang forewarned me that the placement of my fibroids made pregnancy very unlikely.
Approximately $800/IUI cycle
Describe John Zhang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
New Hope Fertility Center
Though he [Dr. Zhang] got me pregnant with normal pgs girl, I miscarried. And each cycle after that he refused to listen to me or change protocol. I noticed a trend with my labs during monitoring, which I was right about, but he just didn’t care...originally said it would be mini ivf. But it wound up being ultra mini ivf with clomid only (one cycle he used letrozole).... each cycle I only produced one follicle. And I pay out of pocket. I asked if we could stimulate me more, given I’m Paying for a retrieval for one egg, but he kept saying no
Strength [at New Hope Fertility Center]: they don’t give up on you and don’t tell you to go for donor egg. They have an amazing lab. Weakness: they too won’t change protocol and they treat you like a number. AWFUL nursing staff. No contact with anyone when you have questions. No one is accessible...While I was miscarrying in the ER, I’m hysterically crying, in my stretcher and I call them to let Dr Zhang know ... Liliana answered (the receptionist) and said “you are no longer a patient here”.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Though he got me pregnant with normal pgs girl, I miscarried. And each cycle after that he refused to listen to me or change protocol. I noticed a trend with my labs during monitoring, which I was right about, but he just didn’t care
Listen to their concerns
Never got to speak w the Zhang. Nurses wouldn’t even call you. They send you an email with your instructions. If you have questions it’s impossible to get in touch with them
Dr Zhang originally said it would be mini ivf. But it wound up being ultra mini ivf with clomid only (one cycle he used letrozole).... each cycle I only produced one follicle. And I pay out of pocket. I asked if we could stimulate me more, given I’m Paying for a retrieval for one egg, but he kept saying no
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: All of them )
Terrible!!! Awful!!!! I would expect the doctors to be cold, and nurses to be warm but frankly it was the opposite here. They send you a generic email with instructions. It’s a template. If you have questions they won’t answer you. And if you call them the receptionist (liliana) will never connect you. While I was miscarrying in the ER, I’m hysterically crying, in my stretcher and I call them to let Dr Zhang know ... Liliana answered (the receptionist) and said “you are no longer a patient here”. (I was 7 weeks and never discharged to my OB). As I’m crying in the phone, begging her to connect me to my dr she continues to passive aggressively tell me “I graduated” and was no longer a patient there. Long story short —- after that traumatic experience, I made a formal complaint the following week. The supervisor told me liliana had put in her resignation the week prior so “that’s probably why she was behaving that way” .... fast forward two months, Liliana is back. I speak with supervisor as to how she can work there with how she treated me and refused to connect me, a patient, to my dr while I’m in the ER miscarrying. The supervisor said “we gave her extra training afterwards” Terrible. Need I say more
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Strength: they don’t give up on you and don’t tell you to go for donor egg. They have an amazing lab. Weakness: they too won’t change protocol and they treat you like a number. AWFUL nursing staff. No contact with anyone when you have questions. No one is accessible.
affordable Retrieval $1250
N/a I only had one embryo
New Hope Fertility Center

I've never felt more like a number than at the clinic with Dr. Merhi. I literally met him one time while walking in the door to the procedure room to do my egg retrieval....He was fine as a doctor, seems knowledgeable. But very very unpersonable. I was honestly very disappointed in the care I received. And he did not even do our Embryo transfer. Just honestly was really disappointed overall with the care that I received from him
Most of them did not speak very good English, they were very hard to understand, and they didn't understand me very well either. They [staff at New Hope] were very very unpersonable, and very very uncompassionate. The language barrier was a huge problem, but their lack of caring and concern was almost worse... My husband and I were treated like strangers, outsiders... Honestly more like cattle being loaded on a train than human beings trying to have a baby.
Try someone else.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Most of them did not speak very good English, they were very hard to understand, and they didn't understand me very well either. They were very very unpersonable, and very very uncompassionate. The language barrier was a huge problem, but their lack of caring and concern was almost worse.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Very few of the employees including the doctors spoke very good English, the culture and language differences were huge barrier in my opinion. My husband and I were treated like strangers, outsiders... Honestly more like cattle being loaded on a train than human beings trying to have a baby.
New Hope Fertility Center

[Dr. Makarov] Seemed in a rush to get us to IVF and wanted us to fail everything until that point. Ignored my issues with a short luteal phase; always too busy to answer questions. Would leave us waiting in a room only to later find out she forgot all about us and our appointment was over... We did an IUI without an medication and then one with. We paid out of pocket. She wanted us to fail so we would move on to IVF. They never diagnosed us with anything.
The worst finance department I’ve ever encountered. Very unorganized and unprofessional. Also the lab messed up our charts. It was a terrible experience and I’d never recommend New Hope to anyone. I was so distraught after this experience that I had to take a break from trying to get pregnant... [Dr. Makarov] Seemed in a rush to get us to IVF and wanted us to fail everything until that point. Ignored my issues with a short luteal phase;
Don’t leave the room until you have all your questions answered. Request some medicated cycles first, especially if your insurance doesn’t cover IUI
Mixed up our blood work. Didn’t seem to understand my history
It was ridiculous! We did an IUI without an medication and then one with. We paid out of pocket. She wanted us to fail so we would move on to IVF. They never diagnosed us with anything.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Lots of people, they never spoke to us unless it was to tell us to hurry to the next room
IUIs were $800
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
They messed up at every step
New Hope Fertility Center

[Dr. Zaher Merhi is] Good at follow up and full of passion. But he seems little pushing us to start 1st cycle even though medication and genetic testing stuff are not ready. He is also super optimistic but i am not sure that was his personality or being realistic.
[New Hope Fertility Center is in a] convenient location, flexible monitoring time, staff are friendly. Weakness are some time they are little careless when it comes to treatment/ medication/ testing. Billing department is so difficulty to communicate...mini ivf total cost $1500 with medication...[Dr. Merhi is] Good at follow up and full of passion. But he seems little pushing us to start 1st cycle even though medication and genetic testing stuff are not ready. He is also super optimistic but i am not sure that was his personality or being realistic.
mini ivf total cost $1500 with medication
New Hope Fertility Center

I had hardly any face time with the doctor [Dr. Zhang] and was never given any explanation of my test results or prognosis...Dr. Zhang seemed disinterested in patient relations and had a formulaic approach to treatment planning...doctor missed one egg so had to bring me back from the recovery area and repeat the procedure...I did not have an AMH test, which would have helped me decide whether to proceed to IVF using my own eggs. I was also advised to do an egg retrieval (for $4,000) for just one egg.
The clinic [New Hope] itself is pleasant enough except the waiting area has a very strong perfume/air freshener that was hard to tolerate. Strength: everything is on site. Weaknesses: One size fits all treatment model, lack of transparency, genetic screening is not thorough, there is no personal attention, treatment is dragged out over many many weeks unnecessarily...One nurse, Gina, was quite attentive and compassionate. The rest were somewhat robotic.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zhang seemed disinterested in patient relations and had a formulaic approach to treatment planning. It was my first time seeking treatment and I didn't know what questions to ask. I took for granted that I would be directed toward the best course of treatment and unfortunately trusted his judgment. When I did ask questions based on my own research, responses from Dr. Zhang and most staff were often vague or evaded altogether. For example, I did not have an AMH test, which would have helped me decide whether to proceed to IVF using my own eggs. I was also advised to do an egg retrieval (for $4,000) for just one egg. When I asked questions about both of these things I was given either no answer or confusing information that left me feeling like I was worrying for no reason because this was how fertility treatment worked. When I switched to a different clinic I was advised that an egg retrieval for less than 6 eggs is not worthwhile. I was also told that the genetic testing I did at New Hope (for $200) only tested for 5 markers instead of the recommended 281 markers so I had to repeat it. At the new clinic I had an AMH test and an HSG (New Hope did not inform me about either of these tests) and was quickly able to make an informed decision about my next step.
I would not recommend this doctor.
I had hardly any face time with the doctor and was never given any explanation of my test results or prognosis.
Two months on BC pills with weekly monitoring (waste of time and money). Clomid and Femara. Lupron injection.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The clinic itself is pleasant enough except the waiting area has a very strong perfume/air freshener that was hard to tolerate. Strength: everything is on site. Weaknesses: One size fits all treatment model, lack of transparency, genetic screening is not thorough, there is no personal attention, treatment is dragged out over many many weeks unnecessarily.
Relatively fast and simple.
Genetic screening $199 (useless), monitoring flat monthly fee of $800, egg retrieval $4,000 (even one egg)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
Egg retrieval- doctor missed one egg so had to bring me back from the recovery area and repeat the procedure, which was quite painful. Afterward I was left alone in a chair until I felt ok to leave. There was no nurse monitoring me, which was unfortunate because I felt quite ill after having the second retrieval.
New Hope Fertility Center

Dr. Zhang, was very upfront and blunt about what my expectations should be, in some ways, I as a patient appreciate that. He is very focused on his research side of his practice...After the first appointment with Dr. Zhang, I was basically put on auto-track for the 3 cycles I did with NHF. Never was there a change discussed after any cycle or summary/thoughts... I sought NHF because of there mini-IVF protocols for patients with PCOS
NHF's strength is their efficiency, you are not waiting for blood work-ultrasound more than 30mins ever, results from that days monitoring is emailed, with all vital information and instructions within 2 hrs of leaving the clinic...The weakness is the lack of contact with any direct person, you are talking to various nurses, doctors, and admin-financial staff....At one point my payment was put on someone else's account...
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zhang, was very upfront and blunt about what my expectations should be, in some ways, I as a patient appreciate that. He is very focused on his research side of his practice, that I think he is too busy to really be focused on the everyday goings on in his clinic.
Be prepared for a very academic discussion, and don't expect any type of handholding. There is very little direct communication with this doctor, the rest of the team will be your main contacts.
After the first appointment with Dr. Zhang, I was basically put on auto-track for the 3 cycles I did with NHF. Never was there a change discussed after any cycle or summary/thoughts, unless I asked to do something different. The office is very streamlined, and efficient, so much so, there is a lack of personal interaction. Also, I had had a bad experience with the staff from my first clinic, without any thoughts to my feelings a doctor that treated me from that clinic should up at an egg retrieval at this clinic, since this procedure is timed, I felt I had no choice but to allow him to do the retrieval. I almost did not go back for the next cycle I was so distraught.
Because I had had several cysts with my first doctor, I sought NHF because of there mini-IVF protocols for patients with PCOS. I did 3 late luteal phase mini-ivf cycles using letrozole, clomid, and gonal-f, with lupron after the first retrieval to allow for a second retrieval in one cycle. The rationale was that we could stimulate the lagging follicles to get more eggs per cycle. I was able to get two embryos during the first 2 cycles, they were sent out for PGS testing and came back abnormal and per the labs protocols, they were discarded.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The nurses were all very pleasant and all had good beside manners. However, because you are not assigned to a particular nurse, there is no one to directly to talk to if an issue arises.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
NHF's strength is their efficiency, you are not waiting for blood work-ultrasound more than 30mins ever, results from that days monitoring is emailed, with all vital information and instructions within 2 hrs of leaving the clinic. The cost for mini-ivf is great if you have the time to go slow, (ie younger patients). The weakness is the lack of contact with any direct person, you are talking to various nurses, doctors, and admin-financial staff. At one point my payment was put on someone else's account, although I had just handed them my credit card with my name on it. I also had to fight to get balances removed for treatment that was not performed. I had by chance caught the mistake because I asked for a ledger with all treatment that I was charged for because the bill for the 2nd cycle was more than the 1st, even though I did the exact protocol.
Monitoring was very efficient and the window of time to go in was very reasonable.
Mini-IVF costs were very reasonable at nearly less than half the cost compared to conventional stimulation protocols. Also, out of pocket expenses such as PGS and ICSI were less than at institutional clinics.
New Hope Fertility Center

There was never a time that I could speak with the doctor [Dr. Zhang] and there were way too many patients at once...I only saw Dr Zhang once for the initial visit and then for about 10 minutes 1/2 way through my full treatment. Upon my initial visit I spoke with him about how i did not want to experience feeling like a number or that I was in an assembly line, and of course that was exactly what I experienced.
At times the nurses [at New Hope] weren't helpful; which led to the feeling of not being satisfied....strengths - his [Dr. Zhang] protocol is more rogue than most. Non-traditional and the costs are less. The phlebotomists are good. weaknesses ..The staff is not great, some of the nurses are inexperienced & do not know how to administer an ultrasound, et al.,..i had to ask repeatedly for my chart to be sent out; and when I first began instead of looking at my previous results from my other RE; they misplaced them and I had to resend.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Not to expect too much communication. That you will have to do a lot of your own research. Make sure that all of your tests are done and be your own advocate.
There was never a time that I could speak with the doctor and there were way too many patients at once. At times the nurses weren't helpful; which led to the feeling of not being satisfied.
I do not remember the name of the protocol that he put me on. The first round was more aggressive than the other ones; but I used the following medications Birth Control pills - - which I told him that I was nervous about, due to the fact that they can make fibroids grow...he (or the nurses) would tell me they weren't anything to worry about Clomid Ganirellex Follistim
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Most were nice, and competent. There were a couple that were very responsive and got back to you quickly; while the others were more curt and I felt viewed me more as a box that they needed to check off by the end of their day.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
strengths - his protocol is more rogue than most. Non-traditional and the costs are less. The phlebotomists are good. weaknesses - You end up paying just as much, if not more, than you would at a traditional facility. The staff is not great, some of the nurses are inexperienced & do not know how to administer an ultrasound, et al.,
My monitoring was pretty simple. I did appreciate the large window of time that was allotted and I was able to usually be in/out within 45 mins.
A good portion was covered by my insurance. However, I spent roughly 10,000 OOP (between medications, costs of retrievals and the anesthesia)
I never got to the transfer stage with his facility, so I can't comment on that. Had I, I would have preferred to transfer more than one at a time.
New Hope Fertility Center

I saw doctor zhang for initial appt. Then I never saw him again, until I waited 2 hours one day to see him, even when I had an appt....Very impersonal. Never looked me in the eye when talking to me. Seemed like he was always delivering a scripted speech. He never felt warm or understanding. He made promises for follow up phone calls or check ins and never delivered on any of them...Not care of existing patients.
[New Hope] Strengths - innovation. Weakness - everything else. Go here if you want zero compassion and empathy and want to be treated like cattle. They dont treat patients like humans, but like a number or a bank account. No quality of care whatsoever......There would be 40 others in the waiting room. The wait was usually 90 minutes +...Always got a different nurse. Not one nurse knew who I was, even after 4 rounds.
Go somewhere else
I saw doctor zhang for initial appt. Then I never saw him again, until I waited 2 hours one day to see him, even when I had an appt. His focus is on getting new patients in the door. Not care of existing patients.
There would be 40 others in the waiting room. The wait was usually 90 minutes +
At first it seemed like costs were reasonable. Realized later, all the individual charges add up and end up being more than rounds at another popular clinic