4.3

6.3
6.3

4 Columbus Circle

2016, 5 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Zhang was difficult to communicate with. He missed a scheduled phone appointment and only called when I emailed him and his nurses about it. After my cycle, I emailed several times with questions and concerns and did not receive responses. In addition, I felt he only gave me information when I was informed and persistent enough to ask for it; if I hadn't been, I feel he would have happily proceeded with me being "in the dark" and therefore less able to hold him accountable for my clinical outcomes.
Strengths[of New Hope Fertility]: affordability, convenience (for those in NYC area) Weaknesses: lack of communication, lack of physician contact, physicians did not seem to care about me as a person (e.g., physician who did retrieval)...2K for procedure; 500 for anesthesia; 2K for monitoring and bloodwork. Medications were ~2-3K...Once I started my cycle, I had no routine physician interactions-- just interactions with the phlebotomists and ultrasound technicians. When I did interact with a doctor because I had questions or concerns, it was because I specifically asked and fought for it.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Make sure you understand the clinic's approach to egg freezing (i.e., low stim) and it aligns with your own expectations and priorities.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols John Zhang used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Birth control pills (Desogen, Apri, Reclipsen): HALF a tablet by mouth daily for about a week before the cycle began Letrozole 2.5mg tablet, 1 tablet. Clomid 50mg, 1 tablet. Both for 5 days. Follistim 150 units for four days At this point I discontinued the Letrozole and continued Clomid and Follistim for ~3 days nasal spray and Ovidrel the night before the retrieval
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
I had minimal interaction with nurses.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Strengths: affordability, convenience (for those in NYC area) Weaknesses: lack of communication, lack of physician contact, physicians did not seem to care about me as a person (e.g., physician who did retrieval)
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
My cycle yielded less than half the number of eggs and large follicles I had on the morning of the retrieval. In reviewing my situation with other fertility specialists the consensus seems to be that the procedure was mis-timed or the physician did not use the appropriate techniques to withdraw the eggs that were present.
New Hope Fertility Center

The ultrasound and blood work were okay [at New Hope]. The problem is that I was contacted by a different nurse every time when the communicated the ultrasound and egg retrieval results. One nurse did not write English well. It was hard to understand. During the egg retrieval day, there were no nurses to take care of patients. She just put on my patient bracelet and left me to wait for my procedure. They did not take my vital signs. No one took my blood pressure. Afterwards they did not give me any water or food. They just told me to leave. They did not ask if I came alone or if there was anyone to drive me home. There was minimal communication and it was all impersonal.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
In my first consultation, I saw Dr Zhang two and a half hours after waiting past my scheduled appointment time. I also did not like Dr Zhang's abrupt explanations to my questions. He said mini-IVF was the treatment for me and he was over zealous about my chances of success. I never saw him through the rest of the cycle. I always communicated with his nurses and assistants. The cycle was not successful. I scheduled an appointment to see Dr. Zhang for explanations and answers. He explained that it might be the fault of the doctor or maybe they retrieved my eggs at the wrong time. Then he just told me to try again. It felt like they just wanted me as a customer.
Go somewhere else.
1) Waiting for an appoint with Dr Zhang always took a long time. 2) A different nurse contacted me after every ultrasound result to provide instructions. At other clinics, it was always the same person. New Hope felt impersonal. 3) The egg retrieval was impersonal. I was just told to take everything off from the waist down. In two other IVF clinics I attended, you took all your clothes off under the gown. 4) No anesthesiologist checked on me to ask about allergies or medical conditions. When it was my turn, they were running far behind schedule and they acted very rushed. It did not sound like they were going to be careful. 5) Dr Zhang was not the attending physician during egg retrieval. It was someone else. Dr Zhang never told me that it would be another doctor. I never saw Dr Zhang. This was a shock to me. I had never met this other doctor before, and he never introduced himself to me. He just asked me how many follicles I had and if I had IVF before. That was all. He never bothered to read my patient history. 6) No doctor came to talk to me after the retrieval. No one else told me what happened. I was told that I can go home. They never checked if there was someone to drive me home. They never gave me any water or food. That was a horrific experience.
He prescribed minimal stimulation IVF. I started on birth control pills: two pills a day for 2 days, then 1 pill a day for 3 days, then half a pill a day for 3 days. Seven days later, I started clomid: 50 mg/day for 5 days then 25 mg/day for 4 days. At the same time I started clomid, I took letrazole 2.5 mg/day for 6 days. One day after starting clomid and letrazole, I started follistim: 75 IU/day for 7 days. One the last day of follistim, I injected half a syringe of ganirelix. The trigger was 10 IU lupron and 150 IU ovidrel. The rational for the procedure was not explained, other than to say that this is the minimal stimulation protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The ultrasound and blood work were okay. The problem is that I was contacted by a different nurse every time when the communicated the ultrasound and egg retrieval results. One nurse did not write English well. It was hard to understand. During the egg retrieval day, there were no nurses to take care of patients. She just put on my patient bracelet and left me to wait for my procedure. They did not take my vital signs. No one took my blood pressure. Afterwards they did not give me any water or food. They just told me to leave. They did not ask if I came alone or if there was anyone to drive me home. There was minimal communication and it was all impersonal.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Scheduling time with Dr Zhang is hit and miss. Sometimes you get to see him soon, other times it is a long wait of up to 2.5 hours. The clinic is new and clean. Utrasound and bloodwork is efficient and the wait time is short. The problem is on egg retrieval day. It was the most horrific experience of my life. The assistant checking me in told me not to be scared about what I see in the waiting room. When I entered the waiting room, I saw the same room doubled as recovery and waiting rooms. There were no beds. A patient was sleeping on a sofa, recovering from her retrieval. Another woman was left to walk out of the room on her own with no help. She did not have anesthesia. Another woman was in so much pain, she had to be wheeled out in a rolling bed. It was so busy that I had to wait in the recovery area as patients came out of their retrieval. I saw patients coming out like this one after another and I can see every one was not feeling well. There was no privacy. I could see and hear the nurse telling every one about their retrieval results. I had to wait two hours for my turn. I was very upset and scared, sitting there watching all of this happening. I was just told to take everything off from the waist down. In two other IVF clinics I attended, you took all your clothes off under the gown. Here, they just wanted you to drop your pants for a quick retrieval. It was a rushed factory. No anesthesiologist checked on me to ask about allergies or medical conditions. When it was my turn, they were running far behind schedule and they acted very rushed. It did not sound like they were going to be careful. Dr Zhang was not the attending physician. It was someone else. Dr Zhang never told me that it would be another doctor. I never saw Dr Zhang. This was a shock to me. I had never met this other doctor before, and he never introduced himself to me. He just asked me how many follicles I had and if I had IVF before. That was all. He never bothered to read my patient history. He started working on me before the anesthesia took effect. I had to tell them to wait. They never put any blood pressure cuff on me. The room was dark. The operating room in two other IVF clinics I attended were brightly lit. How can they see in the dark? There were no nurses in the operating room. In other IVF clinics I attended, there was a whole team of people helping with egg retrieval. This made me worried about my treatment. Everything felt careless and dangerous. When I woke up, the nurse told me they could only retrieve 4 eggs. She also told me 2 of those 4 eggs were broken. I was devastated to hear this. No doctor came to talk to me. No one else told me what happened. I was told that I can go. They never checked if there was someone to drive me home. They never gave me any water or food. That was a horrific experience. It was traumatic to hear that they broke my eggs and then they just asked me to leave. Afterwards, I could not find any information anywhere about how eggs can be broken. I emailed the nurse to ask. She told me that this can happen when they use high pressure to aspirate the eggs. I contacted other clinics to find out if this can happen and they told me that they have never heard of eggs breaking. I scheduled an appointment to see Dr. Zhang. He explained that it might be the fault of the doctor or maybe they retrieved my eggs at the wrong time. After the anesthesia, I felt nausea and dizziness. I never felt like this when I recovered from other procedures under anesthesia. I also had pain and inflammation for 1 week after the procedure. I never felt this bad with the other two retrievals I had in other clinics. It felt like they were not careful with the anesthesia and they were so rough during retrieval that there was probably scarring and that was how my eggs were broken. Since I don't have many eggs, every egg counts. I was devastated to hear that they broke 2 of my eggs. That IVF cycle was not a success. I will always wonder if those 2 eggs were not broken because of New Hope's carelessness, I would have had a successful procedure. I would not recommend anyone to go here. If this happened to you, you will always be left wondering if your broken eggs was a lost opportunity.
Monitoring was no problem. It was efficient and the wait time was short.
I did not get any bills yet, except the anesthesia bill for $500. I think the rest might be coming later. I also had to pay for the lupron trigger: $10 or $25 in cash, I don't remember. This was a lot of money for 10 IU in a syringe that they filled, considering that an entire 2.8 mL vial of luprion is $10 co-pay, which I know from my other IVF procedure.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
1) No anesthesiologist checked on me to ask about allergies or medical conditions. They were running far behind schedule for retrievals and they acted very rushed. They never put any blood pressure cuff on me. They never gave me anti-nausea medication, while other clinics did this. After the anesthesia, I felt nausea and dizziness. I never felt like this when I recovered from other procedures under anesthesia. 2) I had five follicles. When I woke up from the retrieval , the nurse told me they could only retrieve 4 eggs. She also told me 2 of those 4 eggs were broken. I was devastated to hear this. No doctor came to talk to me. No one else told me what happened. Afterwards, I could not find any information anywhere about how eggs can be broken. I emailed the nurse to ask. She told me that this can happen when they use high pressure to aspirate the eggs. I contacted other clinics to find out if this can happen and they told me that they have never heard of eggs breaking. I scheduled an appointment to see Dr. Zhang. He explained that it might be the fault of the doctor or maybe they retrieved my eggs at the wrong time. I also had pain and inflammation for 1 week after the procedure. I never felt this bad with the other two retrievals I had in other clinics. It felt like they were not careful. They were so rushed and rough during retrieval that there was probably scarring and that was how my eggs were broken. Since I don't have many eggs, every egg counts. I was devastated to hear that they broke 2 of my eggs. I will always wonder if those 2 eggs were not broken because of New Hope's carelessness, I would have had a successful procedure. I would not recommend anyone to go here.
New Hope Fertility Center

I was switched over to Dr. Liu last minute and he knew nothing about it me and it was apparent....I felt rushed, the service was very generic. There was uncertainty particularly with when I was ready for the implant. He was rushed and I never had the assurance I needed. He was passed over to me in a very dismissive way and his accent was so strong at times, I would have to ask him to email me as I could not fully understand.
The office [New Hope] itself operates like a well oiled machine. There was no consistency with nurse staff. I was passed around and couldn't depend on any one person to answer my email etc...New Hope is a clean, well run office. The Mini IVF approach works for those that want a low stimulation that mirrors most natural cycle. Communication is what this office lacks as there were a few disconnects in our journey. Most of the challenges were in the implant stage vs retrieval.
How was your experience with Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
Ask for Dr. Zang instead.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zang was my original doctor I had received consultation and during the retrieval process. I was switched over to Dr. Liu last minute and he knew nothing about it me and it was apparent.
Describe the protocols Zitao Liu used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Mini IVF that included estradiol pills daily and follistim injections. Ovidrel was used to stimulate the final follicle(s) maturation and to initiate the trigger before Egg Retrieval.There was consistent blood work done at their facilities.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The office itself operates like a well oiled machine. There was no consistency with nurse staff. I was passed around and couldn't depend on any one person to answer my email etc.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
monitoring appointments themselves were easy but the communication disconnect came into play when determining my lining was Ok to move forward with implant.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center.
Dont recall all the costs but the biggest thing to consider is that its $200 per lab appointment. You can pay $800 a month for unlimited. This was what we hadnt planned would be most expensive as they constantly had me come in to determine whether my levels and lining was ready for implant. Took too long and too much money.
Describe Zitao Liu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
Dr. Zhang whom presented himself as handling everything only to later pass me on to Dr. Lui explained that he felt confident that this Mini IVF would yield about 4 eggs. He suggested I run PGS genetic testing to ensure only the best embryos are selected. 4 were actually retrieved and 2 passed PGS. New Hope was opposed to having implant both at the same time but we went ahead with implanting both (5 day/PGS tested) embryos at once.
Zitao Liu

1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
The Dr [Dr. John Zhang] was nice and very straight-forward... And the lack of seeing a dr was really irritating. I did mini-IVF and we were freezing eggs due to male infertility. They did not explain the importance to freezing embryos vs. eggs and i feel like I wasted a lot of time and money doing treatments and retrievals...Monitoring was easy. The hours were very expansive so you didnt have to rush to be in line like other clinics to be seen in a small window.
I found the technology at the practice [New Hope] from the waiting room to the email system, nice, but the billing department was a disaster. They overcharged me constantly and even once, held a payment over my head the day before a retrival, saying i couldnt have the procedure done unless I paid the bill. It was only submitted to my insurance a week beforehand and had not been processed. They made assumptions about my plan and charged me for things my insurance covered.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
The Dr was nice and very straight-forward. I found the technology at the practice from the waiting room to the email system, nice, but the billing department was a disaster. They overcharged me constantly and even once, held a payment over my head the day before a retrival, saying i couldnt have the procedure done unless I paid the bill. It was only submitted to my insurance a week beforehand and had not been processed. They made assumptions about my plan and charged me for things my insurance covered. It was extremely frustrating. And the lack of seeing a dr was really irritating. I did mini-IVF and we were freezing eggs due to male infertility. They did not explain the importance to freezing embryos vs. eggs and i feel like I wasted a lot of time and money doing treatments and retrievals.
Push for information and check your bills very carefully.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
They do everything by email which is fine unless you have questions. often times questions go unanswered, i had meds not called in, and problems not addressed because you dont have a dedicated nurse. The volume is too high and they are not responsive via email and i have often called 3x to get someone on the phone to only be told they will call me back. I went into a procedure without having antibiotics or anxiety meds i requested more than 3x.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Pro- high tech, convenient location, smaller, more friendly than other clinics, sat hours for cyro and other appts Cons - Disorganized billing, no dedicated dr or nurse, you never see a dr, Waited 3 HOURS for a transfer once with little updates or sympathy
I have benefits via my employeer so I shouldnt have paid anything other than for meds. Every bill had to be scruntized with Blue Cross as this clinic made assumptions about my plan. They ended up cutting me a check for almost $1000.00 of which i was over charged. I'm pretty sure i still over-paid but was so annoyed with them, I moved on. Too stressful and they're so rude.
Describe John Zhang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
The mini-IVF was a waste of time for me. We only yielded 5-6 per round and had to cancel a few due to lack of stimulation. Was expensive and only one egg made it to blastocyst and was day 7. We were not told not to try and transfer it, but having spoken to other clinics now, i realize that was a waste of time and money.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
Before a retrieval i was asked if i wanted anti-anxiety meds. I said yes, on a Wednesday, and followed up Thurs and Fri with clinic via email and voicemail. It was never filled. I then waited over 3 hours for a procedure and the meds were never called in.
New Hope Fertility Center

The doctor was unable to communicate clearly with me regarding my diagnosis, and best options, when I was able to actually speak with him directly. There was little explanation ever given for treatment choices recommended to me or discussion of how I should make decisions about what to do next after a failed cycle.
They are conveniently located and take many forms of insurance. They may work effectively with younger women, but do not seem to have any particular strength working with women who need more customized protocols....I was called and told that I had a positive pregnancy test, only to get my period the next day. They never attempted to explain or discuss the result, or apologize for what that experience was like.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Go somewhere else, if you are seeking treatment with doctors that can provide regular, and clear communication.
Once I had an initial consultation, it was almost impossible to have a conversation with a doctor about my treatment. I once waited three hours for an appt with a doctor after I repeatedly requested an appt and was finally given a time.
New Hope recommends a "natural" IVF approach that is low dosage and involves fewer injectables. They claim that this is equally/more successful than traditional approaches, but they do not take into account age or diagnosis in personalizing a protocol. I produced very few eggs, and none matured far enough for transfer.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
There are no assigned nurses, just a rotating group who will work with you when you arrive for monitoring, etc. They leave you emails with instructions and follow up, and if you try to ask a follow up question, you may not hear back from the same person.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
It was very quick and efficient, but there was no interaction with doctors.
They creatively use insurance, to minimize uncovered costs. My out of pocket costs were probably about 5K.
New Hope Fertility Center

After my initial consultation I never saw the doctor [Dr. John Zhang] again...I am a very versed patient and he was my first RE, I was 35 and he tried to talk to me I’m a condescending way. All the other RE’s I have seen since were 100 times better at all medical conversations...He recommended mini IVF for me due to high FSH. They never even tested my AMH which was so weird, but I did 2 out cycles with him and he did clomid ok both. I saw a technician for follicle scans and they couldn’t talk to you and a different doctor for both iui procedures.
The waiting room [at New Hope] was a zoo and wait times even with an appointment were crazy. None of the receptionists or nurses knew me...when they tried to move me onto IVF I ran for my life. At the consult they explained how anesthesia wasn’t covered by insurance but also totally unnecessary and not recommended for egg retrieval and I thought that sounded crazy. Never stuck around to experience that...One nurse helped me with a trigger before the procedure because I became overwhelmed by the fact that they told me to do it but no one ever showed me how and I was standing in the office and actually started to cry because it was like being 100% alone yet surrounded by medical professional. .
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
I felt Dr. Zhang was very arrogant in comparison to all the RE’s I have seen. I am a very versed patient and he was my first RE, I was 35 and he tried to talk to me I’m a condescending way. All the other RE’s I have seen since were 100 times better at all medical conversations. I just couldn’t get out of there quicker. I knew there had to be better doctors and better experiences and luckily when they tried to move me onto IVF I ran for my life. At the consult they explained how anesthesia wasn’t covered by insurance but also totally unnecessary and not recommended for egg retrieval and I thought that sounded crazy. Never stuck around to experience that.
Demand better and more personalized care.
After my initial consultation I never saw the doctor again. The waiting room was a zoo and wait times even with an appointment were crazy. None of the receptionists or nurses knew me.
He recommended mini IVF for me due to high FSH. They never even tested my AMH which was so weird, but I did 2 out cycles with him and he did clomid ok both. I saw a technician for follicle scans and they couldn’t talk to you and a different doctor for both iui procedures. One nurse helped me with a trigger before the procedure because I became overwhelmed by the fact that they told me to do it but no one ever showed me how and I was standing in the office and actually started to cry because it was like being 100% alone yet surrounded by medical professional. .
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
This one. It’s did help me once when I began to cry because no one would tell me what to do with the needle the handed me and told me to give myself for trigger. She was so sweet. All the other nurses seemed cold
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
They overbook so expect to wait a very very long time for iui procedures and other procedures. I can’t think of any strengths I was very unhappy at this clinic. They do have a communication portal but it was always someone new that I was talking with which felt very odd and impersonal. After 2 failed iui’s the random doctor who was there that day just asked if I wanted to skip the 3rd iui and just move onto IVF and I was like, yeah actually I do but I am 100% not doing IVF here. It seemed so weird how casually it was mentioned. Pretty traumatizing for a newbie. Now that I’m an IVF veteran I have no problem with a doctor speaking so bluntly but it wasn’t even my doctor!! And he was making that decision for me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
The communication was generally very bad at this clinic. I had to really fight for instructions and information and track down nurses.
2 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
3 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Zhang seemed to be sufficiently attentive, and receptive to my concerns (whether age, costs, immune issues etc). I actually think his idea of minimal stimulation works well for older women...I became worried by the end that they do not monitor closely enough and I think they don't. It might make sense to come a bit more frequently, especially in the beginning of the cycle, so they adjust the drugs better.
about 4K per retrieval + meds...Good location, easy monitoring, lighter protocol -- which i think is still effective. I liked many of the nurses, embryologists. Sometimes, nurses don't get back to you, or seem to be not be very knowledgeable or experienced -- that is troublesome, as it adds to stress...I became worried by the end that they do not monitor closely enough and I think they don't. It might make sense to come a bit more frequently, especially in the beginning of the cycle, so they adjust the drugs better.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zhang seemed compassionate and willing to be relatively flexible (immune issues etc). I felt somewhat stressed though, when asking for help to make a decision, he would not quite help saying it's an elective procedure...
He uses minimal stimulation estrase/chlomid/femara/fsh/ganorelix
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Most of the nurses are very good and compassionate. However i had problems with nurses, 1) they would not give me clear answer about medication/consequences -- as a result i had unexpected reaction etc; 2) one of the nurses, who does not seem to work there any longer, advised me not to take a pain relief medication before procedure -- i came into the office for prescription. As a result i suffered great pain during a procedure and after the procedure, for about a year various pelvic floor problems
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
they have very wide monitoring window, so it is very convenient.
about 4K per retrieval + meds
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
I was giving conflicting information about timing, ovulation, pain relief etc...
2014 - 2015, Successful
Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
While I had limited time with Dr.Zhang, he spoke with me cordially and exuded a confidence about my treatment and prognosis for success. He seemed to genuinely care that I was successful...He's a fabulous doctorfor difficult cases, mini IVF or other unique circumstances. He doesn't turn people away...Dr Zhang was knowledgeable and confident in his ability to help me get pregnant, but there was a language barrier that made communication challenging at times. I was part of a clinical study and most of my communication came through the coordinator.
The clinic had a comfortable, relaxing setting. It felt like a spa. The embryologist were amazing and I loved Dr. Zhang's positivity. It made my treatments feel less stressful. However, the billing department was an absolute nightmare. I have never seen such incompetence in any clinical setting in my life. I left the clinic solely because of the billing department...They wouldn't provide me with a summary of charges, just told me I owed money with no explanation. I was charged multiple times for the same thing, it took several phone calls to resolve issues. It was next to impossible to reach anyone and they wouldn't return calls.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
He's a fabulous doctorfor difficult cases, mini IVF or other unique circumstances. He doesn't turn people away. And I was confident in his ability to help me achieve my goal of pregnancy
Mini IVF with FET for first transfer, and FET for second transfer. Both were SETs.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Very busy, not particularly empathetic, and hurried with relaying information. Still kind and professional though.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Second FET was approximately $3500 with additional $200 per appointment, plus meds. None were covered under insurance. First FET was part of a clinical study and I only paid for meds - appropriately $1500.
Dr. Zhang was very clear on his preference for SETs, citing his "one good egg" philosophy. I was fine with that, and understood the research behind that approach.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
The billing department was a nightmare. They wouldn't provide me with a summary of charges, just told me I owed money with no explanation. I was charged multiple times for the same thing, it took several phone calls to resolve issues. It was next to impossible to reach anyone and they wouldn't return calls. If I wanted help I needed to go in person and wait. Additionally, when I had my chemical pregnancy, they failed to inform me of my results by phone as requested, and I found out via email. Finally, it took nearly a half dozen calls over almost a month to have my records sent to my new clinic.
2015, Successful
What I loved is he [Dr. Zhang] followed my natural cycle and we didn't force anything. ... He is a loud man with a sharp tone. Nice but you can tell he deals with a lot of people and probably comes off a bit harsh to some more sensitive or insecure types. ... Honestly, he's not soft or snuggly type - but he means well, he's got a good setup, he's got a good idea of what to do, and he's willing to try something different that fits. He's a bit of an out of the box thinker and I liked it.
Strength: is the variety of options for different people. It's [New Hope Fertility Center] not a one size fits all solution. The fact everything you need for the procedure is ON SITE is really a profound difference from other clinics I visited. Everyone understood what needed to be done and while it wasn't perfect, there was a structure and if you can deal with that then you'll be fine. Weakness: poor financial coordination and communication that end.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
He is a loud man with a sharp tone. Nice but you can tell he deals with a lot of people and probably comes off a bit harsh to some more sensitive or insecure types. I liked him. He appreciated my sense of humor and would laugh - loudly and sharply and then I would laugh because he laugh was so direct and funny. Honestly, he's not soft or snuggly type - but he means well, he's got a good setup, he's got a good idea of what to do, and he's willing to try something different that fits. He's a bit of an out of the box thinker and I liked it.
I would say - just relax and ask questions. If he seems hurried or distracted (because he does have a lot of patience) it's OK. He'll take the time. Also, don't expect one doctor to solve all your problems, this is something you need to take control of yourself and get educated. What you want is a good treatment and good caring team. He's got so many ways to get you want you need, tell him your concerns and listen to him. I did seriously the most non-aggressive treatment and it worked for me. He listened to my problems with hormones and the fact I don't take the pill because of it and didn't make me do the intense treatment. That was MY choice and he went with it and gave me options. It may not be an option for everyone, but I met with 5 other doctors and he was the ONLY one willing to think out of the box and offer different cycle treatments. I love how he puts focus on one good egg, not a bunch of bad ones... that is all that matters in the end. One good egg can come from just three oocytes. Remember that.
Well, while some people didn't like how the clinic was set up (very structured) I found it calming. I always knew where I was in the process, everything was on site so there was no waiting for blood results, the nurses were freaking awesome and always used butterfly tiny needles to make it less painful, the women were always nice. The only drawback was sometimes I couldn't get through to the financial people. I mean, it's a clinic - not a hotel... but it went above my expectations with one disappointment when I told the Dr not to put me on the pill (hormones) and he did AND it was the only cycle that didn't work at all. Had they listened to me, the patient I could have had more eggs. It was stressful and it's hard and the waiting is not easy, but it is what it is.
I can't remember the dosage, but I took Clomid and did a trigger shot and that was it. What I loved is he followed my natural cycle and we didn't force anything. We would take my blood about 10 times a month to follow my cycle and after the first time, we learned what it was fairly easy. By the 4th retrieval, it was easy. The goal was to do multiple retrievals instead of one big one with lots of eggs and stay with my natural cycle. I could have probably done a few more, but I stopped at 4 due to cost. The Clomid made it so I had some extra unfertilized eggs under my natural cycle, as my blood tests came back and I got closer to the ovulation date he would set a date and I'd do a trigger shot the night before and go in for retrieval at a specific time the next day. I got 3 unfertilized eggs each treatment, for a total of 12, only 3 of the twelve made it to DAY 5 and then we had genetic testing and of the 3, ONE was good. And we now have a really beautiful, super healthy boy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The nurses varied from day to day, but all of them were nice and helpful. Some got me in on days that were difficult.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Strength: is the variety of options for different people. It's not a one size fits all solution. The fact everything you need for the procedure is ON SITE is really a profound difference from other clinics I visited. Everyone understood what needed to be done and while it wasn't perfect, there was a structure and if you can deal with that then you'll be fine. Weakness: poor financial coordination and communication that end. It was always hard to understand what I needed or if a payment wasn't made or when it wasn't made - what to do to help it go faster once paid. I got a feeling the ladies in the department were overwhelmed.
I barely remember this now... but I think it was $18K total for all 4 retrievals and the transfer And then an additional for the genetic tests... $2500?
He preferred one good egg for me, but I don't know what he preferred for others. Honestly, if I had more than one egg and demanded more than one be transferred he would have been against it but if I insisted would have listened to me, that's the feeling I get.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
I made it clear I did not want to go on estrogen or "the pill" as I have adverse reactions. They ordered it for me and told me to go on it. That cycle failed. I had to cry a bit and make a fuss to get them to listen. A little embarrassed about it now, but looking back I did what I needed to do.

2014 - 2015, Successful
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Very cerebral approach- not a hand holder but able to produce results- differentiated process from other big treatment places in NYC... Go here if you have an aversion to over medication or if you want to try a less aggressive IVF approach
Go here if you have an aversion to over medication or if you want to try a less aggressive IVF approach. [The nursing staff was] compassionate, responsive and personable. They all knew my name, story etc. loved them all.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Very cerebral approach- not a hand holder but able to produce results- differentiated process from other big treatment places in nyc
Go here if you have an aversion to over medication or if you want to try a less aggressive ivf approach
They spent a good deal of time with me during the appointments and during follow up calls and emails I never waited very long to be seen.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Compassionate, responsive and personable. They all knew my name, story etc. loved them all.
You sign in on a computer when you arrive- very pleasant room with nice music lots of light snacks etc always was seen fairly quickly less than 20 mins typically

2014, Successful
Investment Banker
2 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
1 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
My boyfriend and I arrived at Dr. Zhang's office armed with files from my three prior cycles (2 egg freezing, 1 embryo freezing) as well as notes we had taken from consultations with four other reproductive endocrinologists. Dr. Zhang seemed distracted - he jumped from his computer screen to our faces and glanced through my files. When he discussed his proposed approach, its tailored nature made it clear that he in fact had absorbed everything in my files and what I had told him. He had a hypothesis on how to optimize my cycle to increase the number of mature eggs as a percentage of eggs retrieved. We decided to give New Hope a go. My mini-IVF cycle yielded more mature eggs than the conventional cycles.
Advocate for yourself. If you have questions, keep calling and asking until you get a response. The nurses are extremely helpful. The office is digitized and nurses provide instructions via email. Email is not a good way to contact the office with questions though - call and keep calling if you aren't getting a response.
New Hope provides a typical big city medical experience. I wouldn't expect Dr. Zhang to recognize me in the waiting room - it's a busy place! His protocol was the most successful one for me, and that matters most to me.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
I got to know the nurses the best at all the fertility clinics. They are very skilled, knowledgable and professional and can answer most questions.
The clinic has monitoring every day from 7am-2pm. You just show up when convenient for you. This was a HUGE benefit in dealing with my work schedule. However, be prepared to wait as long for monitoring as you do at other places (budget an hour if you need bloodwork and ultrasound).
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
Most women at New Hope are veteran IVF'ers - they have come here because results are other places were not optimal or because they are banking. This clinic does not handhold the way other clinics do. You need to stay on top of getting prescriptions filled - if you ask the nurses to call them in, of course they will. I did not have to attend orientation or injection training as at some other centers. The level of service New Hope provided in terms of what to expect and protocol was fine for me given.

2014, Unsuccessful
Dr. Zhang and New Hope Fertility was the worst medical experience of my life. You wait endlessly. There's no compassion from the staff. They continually forgot about my medical conditions....Poor communicator. Zero compassion...When I did not respond to the trigger shot, no one called to tell me this, so one cycle was essentially ruined. There is zero communication, which if you have a complicated case can be extremely dangerous.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Poor communicator. Zero compassion.
Don't go.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The clinic seems organized despite all of the other failures of New Hope.
2013, Successful
We only met and saw him [Dr. Zhang] for the initial consult. Everything else was done by nurses and other doctors. It's very clear he's a genius and we did t run into any setbacks so didn't really need to follow up with him. We were extremely lucky though and not sure how reachable he was if we needed him.
I had insanely generous Cigna insurance which New Hope accepted. Again - we were very lucky. Will never see insurance like that again....Nurses were great and skilled at blood draws. I have tough veins and they were good.... Our biggest challenge with the clinic was calling off hours to get info. Sometimes the nurse would leave a voicemail with instructions that I'd have questions about and it was seemingly impossible to get anyone live on the phone. Very stressful at times
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
We only met and saw him for the initial consult. Everything else was done by nurses and other doctors. It's very clear he's a genius and we did t run into any setbacks so didn't really need to follow up with him. We were extremely lucky though and not sure how reachable he was if we needed him.
Ask all your questions up front, do your research and come prepared.
We had success on our first try so hard to complain about anything but our biggest challenge with the clinic was calling off hours to get info. Sometimes the nurse would leave a voicemail with instructions that I'd have questions about and it was seemingly impossible to get anyone live on the phone. Very stressful at times
We did natural cycle IVF - no hormones, just the nasal spray trigger shot and a shot upon egg transfer. Rest was blood work and scans. Didn't use anesthesia for egg retrieval or live egg transfer. We did it all in same cycle, worked first time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Don't remember name but she was great)
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
It's a very organized, top notch, modern, Has latest technology (I watched on giant flat screen tv when they took egg out of me and again when they put it back in). Truly amazing. I trust these guys.
A bit of a cattle call - busy at early morning (pre-work) hours and lunchtime
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
I underwent natural cycle IVF and did not want any drugs / hormones. I went to Florida and when I landed, nurse left me a voicemail on my cell saying to start my hormone meds ASAP and that they wanted to call in a prescription for me. Was like WTF and called for 3 hours, leaving multiple messages for someone to call me on a Sat morning and couldn't get anyone to return my message. Eventually found someone about 5 hours later who verified that I didn't need to take anything.

2013, Successful
She [Dr. Luk] is a very good doctor and she took her time to explain everything to us. She not only shared the clinical aspects of the procedure but took the time to make sure we were feeling ok with the abundance of information. I didn’t feel pressured to make any decision and felt completely comfortable with the choices that we did make. She was excited for our success, which showed at every visit and ultrasound.
At the time of treatment Dr. Luk was actually working at a different clinic. She was part of New Hope Fertility and I had a great experience there. They were great at communication about all the test results and ultrasounds. The nurses and staff were friendly and polite which makes a big difference.... I didn’t feel pressured to make any decision and felt completely comfortable with the choices that we did make.
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at New Hope Fertility Center?
She is a very good doctor and she took her time to explain everything to us. She not only shared the clinical aspects of the procedure but took the time to make sure we were feeling ok with the abundance of information. I didn’t feel pressured to make any decision and felt completely comfortable with the choices that we did make. She was excited for our success, which showed at every visit and ultrasound.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janelle Luk at New Hope Fertility Center?
Ask whatever questions or concerns you have and she will give you an honest answer.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janelle Luk at New Hope Fertility Center?
She took her time to explain all the options we had, told me the options she would choose and shared personal stories of her own pregnancy.
Janelle Luk

2006 - 2012, Successful
Investment Banker
[Dr. John Zhang was] Very compasionate and caring Really wanted the treatment to work. Help me accomplish my dream of motherhood! Gave me free medications when I was unable to pay for it myself. I would really like to go back and try for baby number 2... The doctor and staff walk you to the entire process and helps you choose the best course of treatment...I was very happy with my doctor
[The nurses at New Hope Fertility Center were] Very nice and professional Made me feel very comfortable every time I had an appointment...He suggested only 2 [embryos] at the time...Very centrally located. Easy to find, friendly staff. Compassionate care, the cost of treatment is competitive and producing the best results. The doctor and staff walk you to the entire process and helps you choose the best course of treatment
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Listen to what he says. I know from personal experience that we don't want to hear the word no or it may take time, but the journey is long and you need to be prepared to deal with the setbacks
I was able to use donated medications after I was unable to pay for it myself. So grateful for all the support provided!
It was a long time ago, very I know for a fact I was very happy with my doctor
It was around 12-15,000
He suggested only 2at the time

2012, Unsuccessful
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
He has a very specific theory -- low dose meds for only retrieving a few eggs (what they say are "the best" eggs). May be a good place for poor responders... Find out your numbers (AMH, FSH) before deciding whether New Hope is for you because they won't deviate from their protocol.
He [Dr. Zhang] has a very specific theory -- low dose meds for only retrieving a few eggs (what they say are "the best" eggs). May be a good place for poor responders... Find out your numbers (AMH, FSH) before deciding whether New Hope is for you because they won't deviate from their protocol.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
He doesn't speak English very well. And is very blunt nonetheless. He has a very specific theory -- low dose meds for only retrieving a few eggs (what they say are "the best" eggs). May be a good place for poor responders.
bedside manner, eh.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
very busy never had same nurse.