6.2
6.2

4 Columbus Circle

What he [Dr. Zaher Merhi] explained made sense but then I felt rushed into an egg retrieval that I didn’t feel confident would work considering the cycle before (my cycles are very unpredictable) they thought I had two cysts. Then 9 days later they thought they were eggs and good to retrieve and we went in and got nothing...He has great bedside manner but I am unsure that he really has the best course of action as a physician. He is willing to try unconventional things.
They [staff at New Hope Fertility Center ] don’t communicate plans well or call everything is via email...You check in and then wait for your name to show on the Tv screens and go in for blood then back out to wait for your name on the tv to see a different nurse for ultrasound and then back out to wait for the nurse (coordinator) to call you back to discuss and the doctor if he is available. I don’t like this approach it makes you feel like a number. But Dr. Merhi’s team is very responsive through their email portal.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
I had renewed hope after seeing him as he was confident that we could use my eggs as opposed to donor even tho my first RE at the age of 30 had told me I needed to move to donor eggs. What he explained made sense but then I felt rushed into an egg retrieval that I didn’t feel confident would work considering the cycle before (my cycles are very unpredictable) they thought I had two cysts. Then 9 days later they thought they were eggs and good to retrieve and we went in and got nothing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
His team is very responsive and he has great bedside manner and remembers personal details about myself and my husband.
Describe the protocols Zaher Merhi used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
He had me try a 14 day course of BC pills in an attempt to lower my FSH. The last BW I had done 2 months prior was 79. I had to stop after 11 days as I had gained 9 lbs. Coming back in after that my FSH was down to 10 and I don’t remember the last time it was that low. At the ultrasound they thought I had two cysts. I had a period. And came back in for more BW and ultrasound on CD 9 after taking estrace for 14 days and they said I was good to go and rushed me in for an egg retrieval 2 days later. Turns out as I suspected they were still the two cysts from before. So we got nothing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center.
I don’t like how they run their clinic. You wait for your name on a board and go in to get your blood then back out and wait for your name on a board and back into a different person for the sonogram and then back out and the nurse talks to you and the doctor if you request.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The way they treat patients through a cycle. You check in and then wait for your name to show on the Tv screens and go in for blood then back out to wait for your name on the tv to see a different nurse for ultrasound and then back out to wait for the nurse (coordinator) to call you back to discuss and the doctor if he is available. I don’t like this approach it makes you feel like a number. But Dr. Merhi’s team is very responsive through their email portal.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
The communication was very poor. They knew I was unavailable for what would have been the next cycle and when I called with CD1 of my period while I was on a work trip and wasn’t able to come in until CD10, at that visit they decided that what they previously thoughts were cysts were follicles and that we had to come in for an egg retrieval. I got this information via email and when I called rather confused and with concerns was told that the doctor was sure. They don’t communicate plans well or call everything is via email.
New Hope Fertility Center

I met with Dr. Zhang once and did not develop any relationships with the staff. If this were my first clinic or cycle I would be put off but at this point I just wanted results I did not need hand holding... is an extremely smart and willing to think outside of the box. I am thrilled I found him when I did, only 1 cycle led to success!! Knowing that he is the owner/founder I understood he would be very busy but trusting a doctor of his caliber assured me to trust his staff.
Location [of New Hope Fertility Center] is good however the first time I could not easily find the building. Also, the security needs to know the difference between floors 3 & 4, a few times I was directed to the wrong floor. Clinic itself is large and clean. Nice refreshment station and the best part is the salt water fish tank. The reception desk individuals are very welcoming...Aside from getting my blood drawn at the first consult, retrieval and transfer, the only interaction I had with the nurses was with email. During the stim cycle they are very responsive. During transfer and ongoing pregnancy the email communication isn't as responsive, could due to the number of patients, vacation time, patient priority. The nurses are all very professional in person and email.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zhang is an extremely smart and willing to think outside of the box. I am thrilled I found him when I did, only 1 cycle led to success!! Knowing that he is the owner/founder I understood he would be very busy but trusting a doctor of his caliber assured me to trust his staff.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Do your own research, bring your own questions and take a chance!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
It is a very busy clinic, I met with Dr. Zhang once and did not develop any relationships with the staff. If this were my first clinic or cycle I would be put off but at this point I just wanted results I did not need hand holding.
Describe the protocols John Zhang used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Mini ivf using clomid, letrozol, cetrotide and very small doses of follistim.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Location is good however the first time I could not easily find the building. Also, the security needs to know the difference between floors 3 & 4, a few times I was directed to the wrong floor. Clinic itself is large and clean. Nice refreshment station and the best part is the salt water fish tank. The reception desk individuals are very welcoming.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center.
I think in total the cost was ~14k. The part that was annoying was since I was doing outside monitoring it cost me an additional 1k each month for NHFC to review the results.
Describe John Zhang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
No comment.
New Hope Fertility Center

I saw him [Dr. Zhang] three times so far, most information gotten from the nurses and ultrasound techs around me. Things felt rushed with him, not much of a personal touch in my opinion... He's very knowledgeable and does cutting edge stuff. However he's not very present. I would like to be able to see my doctor more often or feel like I'm being heard. Most of my questions were answered by ultrasound techs.... We did an ultra mini IVF cycle which involved clomid and femara tabs only. I was able to produce 4 mature eggs which all got fertilized, however I ended up with one very good grade blastocyst.
Very clean and calming atmosphere. Things move very fast there [New Hope Fertility Center]. There's a whiteboard which flashes your name and also guides you on where to go. Everyone is courteous but it tends to feel very impersonal since they have so many patients. They also communicate mainly by email which can be a good thing. Questions are answered promptly. I would also say that costs are very reasonable there.... Reasonable. My ultra mini IVF so far has cost about 10k
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
He's very knowledgeable and does cutting edge stuff. However he's not very present. I would like to be able to see my doctor more often or feel like I'm being heard. Most of my questions were answered by ultrasound techs. Also because I understood the plan for the day I have found myself asking for things I was told during the previous appointment, that the people I interacted with on the day of were not aware
Ask for a full explanation of the pros and cons of each step or procedure
I saw him three times so far, most information gotten from the nurses and ultrasound techs around me. Things felt rushed with him, not much of a personal touch in my opinion
We did an ultra mini IVF cycle which involved clomid and femara tabs only. I was able to produce 4 mature eggs which all got fertilized, however I ended up with one very good grade blastocyst. We also did PGS testing for aneuploidy which came back aneuploid. I think I shouldn't have done PGS testing on my only blastocyst especially since I have never had a miscarriage. I was able to get them to do a saline sonogram which showed i had a possible polyp and was then scheduled for hysteroscopy.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Very clean and calming atmosphere. Things move very fast there. There's a whiteboard which flashes your name and also guides you on where to go. Everyone is courteous but it tends to feel very impersonal since they have so many patients. They also communicate mainly by email which can be a good thing. Questions are answered promptly. I would also say that costs are very reasonable there.
Reasonable. My ultra mini IVF so far has cost about 10k
New Hope Fertility Center

Dr. Merhi was wonderful with consultation. However he did not due my retrieval, didn't follow up with me whatsoever, and basically was almost non existent throughout the process.... He is very nice but consultations with him seemed rushed. He didn't really ask questions or informed us much what was coming next. He started us off with an IUI (natural cycle) which didnt work. We moved on to Mini IVF and he never called, emailed, or followed up with me before or after IVF. At this point I dont even think I am his patient.
The clinic [New Hope Fertility Center] is amazing as a whole. The monitoring is very self explanatory and easy. You go in and wait for your name to come out in the screens, and they tell you exactly where to go. I liked the facility and the ease it has... The nursing staff there is fast and efficient. Monitoring is a breeze. If you go early youll be in and out in no time. The coordinator sometimes responds a little late but she is very nice.... The billing department is not as well ran as the nurse and sonogram staff.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Be prepared to not see him, he will not follow up with you.
Dr. Merhi was wonderful with consultation. However he did not due my retrieval, didn't follow up with me whatsoever, and basically was almost non existent throughout the process. A Dr. Zhang I believe was the one to do my IUI and my retrieval.
Dr.Merhi began with a natural IUI cycle since I already ovulate on my own. I dont know why I dont get pregnant. After it failed he didnt call me or follow up. I called the clinic and told him I wanted to do IVF which his answer was ok no problem and just sent me to a coordinator to explain meds for IVF. I was on clomid 100mg and Gonal F for about 10 days. Again, didnt see him or hear from him. Retrieval was coordinated by nurses and another RE in the clinic was the one to do the procedure.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Samantha Brown)
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The clinic is amazing as a whole. The monitoring is very self explanatory and easy. You go in and wait for your name to come out in the screens, and they tell you exactly where to go. I liked the facility and the ease it has
Monitoring was the best part of this experience. Everyone is so nice and efficient
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center.
IVF-4000 Medications- Gonal F and Clomid- 1500 Monitoring per month 800 IUI 800 Egg Transfer 3000 (Havent done this yet but we have to pay it soon) 750 PGS Testing per embryo... we are doing 3 embryos 2250 in total
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
The billing department is not as well ran as the nurse and sonogram staff.

2015 - 2019, Successful
One of my main criticisms of New Hope is that you don't regularly see or speak with a doctor. You mainly work with the nurses -- via email. So it feels impersonal. If you make a request and the doctor is available during monitoring, Dr. Merhi for instance would come into the room and chat with you. He is very personable and kind and treats you like a human for sure.... The relationship with the nurses at New Hope is quite odd -- mainly just via email. You hardly ever get to see them bc they are not drawing the blood or doing the sonograms. Generally difficult to get a nurse on the phone.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Merhi did my transfer that resulted in my little one - so I will forever be grateful. He has a great bedside manner and is very personable and obviously he is skilled at transfers. A year or so later, when I went back to try for number two, my transfer with him did not succeed (not saying it was anything he did, could have just been the odds game). Then I decided to try to create more embryos, and had a failed attempt on a cycle. When I discussed the failed IVF attempt, he really didn't offer any tweaks or adjustments to my protocol. It was kind of - it is what it is at your age. You just need to try again and maybe you will get a good egg next time. I felt like this was a bit disappointment. I'm not sure how knowledgeable he is on the various protocols and research being done in the infertility areas.
Do your research, ask a lot of questions, demand that a specific doctor follow your protocol.
Mini-IVF: clomid, letrozol and follistim, followed by Ovidrel as a trigger shot. For the transfer, progesterone suppositories and estrogen pills.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The relationship with the nurses at New Hope is quite odd -- mainly just via email. You hardly ever get to see them bc they are not drawing the blood or doing the sonograms. Generally difficult to get a nurse on the phone. I have had it happen on a number of occasions where I receive conflicting emails info from nurses. Also it has become a big hassle to get your prescriptions called in. They email the protocol to you with your meds and you say, please call into X pharmacy and they respond "please email [insert email] regarding prescriptions." Seems like we shouldn't be worrying about this and that the calling in of prescriptions should be handled better. Caused a bit of stress for me bc I had to repeatedly follow up on prescriptions being called in.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The wait time for regular monitoring and sono is pretty short -- they run like a well-oiled machine in this regard. They also have good hours 7-2, so it doesn't interfere with work too much. I do believe that the lab / embryology dept. there is quite good and the folks working in the lab are top of the game -- you can email them as well with questions and they are responsive. Herminio (in embryology) is really great and compassionate and helped us through some stressful times. I wish there was more interaction with your primary doctor - -in fact, I didn't even feel like I HAD a primary doctor at all. I sometimes felt like maybe nobody was really focusing on my protocol. Again, I did have success at New Hope in 2015/2016, and it is more recently that I've grown concerned about the level of care I am receiving. NH could potentially be a one-protocol kind of place -- not sure how customized the treatments are. The cost at New Hope is also much more reasonable than other places, so that's a plus (assuming of course you are getting the care you need and want).
Egg retrieval & fertilization (excluding monitoring and drugs) ran around $4500 (with anesthesia). This was pretty reasonable comparatively.
Describe Zaher Merhi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
Dr. Merhi transferred 2 normals for me -- ended up with one baby.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
I received conflicting information from nurses on one occasion, which was disconcerting. I also had trouble getting prescriptions called in.

2016 - 2019, Successful
As a patient, it’s important for me to feel safe and understood. It’s important for me to feel comfortable with people in the clinic and it’s important for me to feel comfortable with doctors. All that I had just said described Dr. Zhang and his clinic [New Hope Fertility Center]. He listens to our frustration and how much impact it’s carrying us and also financially.
The only weakness I have to say is to really be a bit more organize on some areas. For example, I had done bloodworks already and they kept asking me for particular blood work reports which I had given. ... The clinic’s [New Hope Fertility Center] atmosphere is friendly and open. ... During blood work monitoring, they know I have thin veins and they are careful. ... The embryologist I meet during transfers, super nice and friendly. They show me my embryo on the screen and they really check to make sure it is me and I understand exacting what is going on.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
As a patient, it’s important for me to feel safe and understood. It’s important for me to feel comfortable with people in the clinic and it’s important for me to feel comfortable with doctors. All that I had just said described Dr. Zhang and his clinic. He listens to our frustration and how much impact it’s carrying us and also financially.
To always trust your gut feeling. Listen and ask millions of questions.
From all other fertility clinics we’ve been to, New Hope was friendly. Dr. Zhang and staff were friendly and organized. They saw me as a human being not an object of someone just coming in for treatments. They understand our frustration and our pain. We’ve also endured two stillbirths. They know the pain and heartache of losing two precious babies and trying again and not working. Dr. Zhang is there to questions that’s needing answers. He is always available to talk to without paying...he understands!
I was preparing for retrieval’s of my own eggs (one or two he sees), he uses minimal meds. Trigger shots when it’s time for retrieval in two days , I don’t remember the meds I had taken. For preparing egg donor transfers, I have been taking estradiol, promethium....depends on my blood work result if it needs some adjusting I had taken prednisone, progesterone shot on my butt, baby aspirin, enoxaparin injection on my stomach. Sometimes my lining needs to be thicker so they up my use to progesterone sometimes.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
We started seeing Dr. Zhang back in 2016 and we are still doing that:) the staff are wonderful. When I come in they know me and don’t need to tell them my name. They input it on their computer and they know I’ve already arrived. During blood work monitoring, they know I have thin veins and they are careful. Nurse are available to talk to and few I’ve met and talked to. They are super nice, cordial and you ask them anything even if it’s embarrassing or disgusting. The sonographers I absolutely love. They know our loses and they are so sweet. They talk to me about how I’m doing and how my day is going. They always try to lift my spirits. Other doctors on site are fantastic. They are friendly and you can ask them anything and they are there to help you. Nurse after my transfers, super sweet. You feel comfortable and they don’t rush you to get up and leave. The staff during transfers, they give me instructions what to do and they are caring too. The embryologist I meet during transfers, super nice and friendly. They show me my embryo on the screen and they really check to make sure it is me and I understand exacting what is going on. Doctors who performs the transfers are friendly and I can ask anything even though he is busy doing what he needs to do.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The clinic is amazing. There are more patients than ever. The clinic’s atmosphere is friendly and open. The only weakness I have to say is to really be a bit more organize on some areas. For example, I had done bloodworks already and they kept asking me for particular blood work reports which I had given. They’ve asked me Numerous times and I keep being copies for them. Whoever scans the documents, they need scan better and put it in my file. At one time only, a nurse emailed me my blood work result and protocol. The meds she told me was to take clomid. But that’s for retrieval. I was doing transfers. So one nurse emailed me and corrected it. Also, I keep getting ask if I’m Allergic to medications. I did tell them so many times yes and gave them the name and still keeps asking me. It’s ok. I learn to answer each time:)
My monitoring experience is great. The ladies who gets my blood has no problem. Although I have small veins, they still manage to get it done. They always ask me if I’m doing ok. As for sonogram, I love the ladies there. So respectful. I get along well with them. They know how hard and how long and our loses. They’ve become my friends there. Always smiling. :) which I love. Makes my day.
We’ve been doing fertility for 9 and half long years. My husband and I have seen numerous doctors. The billing at the Dr. Zhang’s office is very organized. There’s always three there. They know your name and what needs to be paid. They even tell you what it’s for and if the insurance paid or not and explained why. They even have online service to pay online now too. They are friendly. My husband and I pay out of pocket fertility for nine and half long years. For donor eggs we have $13,200 for 6 eggs. Then they tell us how survived. For example, embryologist will email and tell me they get 5 out of 6 ready to be sent out for genetic testing. Before sending we have to pay $750 per embryo to be tested first before being sent out. Ones we do that we have 7-10 days to wait and they will email with results. Then they will email again and tell us how many survived and how many healthy with grades on them and explanation of their grades. So imagine having failed donor eggs many many times $13,200 x 5 times. We are financially medically in debt. We need help!
When we did our transfer in Cancun Mexico, the doctor there transferred four embryos all the time. Out of three cycles, I was pregnant but resulted in 10 week miscarriage. Dr. Zhang and his colleague transfers one embryo at a time per rules. He picks the best embryos for transfers.
New Hope Fertility Center

Dr Merhi is trying a more natural approach. I am currently on estradiol. He also had me take hgh for an 6 week period. Also he provide me with a free trial of ozone therapy for 8 weeks. I also had an ovarian rejuvenation done as well. ... Dr Merhi was the first doctor in a long time to try to use my own eggs. I was initially going to him for the egg donor program and he told me to try with my own eggs first.
Billing sucks, they [New Hope Fertility Center] don’t get back to you ever. You literally have to harass them. Communication with the nursing staff isn’t the greatest. But the clinic is a well oil machine in a good way. You can be in and out of monitoring in 30 to 45 mins which is great for people who have to work. Very clean facility and the staff is nice. It’s very conveniently located too.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr Merhi was the first doctor in a long time to try to use my own eggs. I was initially going to him for the egg donor program and he told me to try with my own eggs first. When you are with Dr. Merhi he gives you his undivided attention. He answer all your questions and is very personable. He has great bed side manner and makes you feel very comfortable. But yes there is a but.... here are my dislikes... His email response could be better and yes I understand they are busy but isn’t that a part of your job. Also I went two months without seeing him at any of my monitoring although he would provide instructions via email. I am currently still being treated by him so let’s see. I will give another review when everything is completed.
Email! Email! Email! Would be your best form of communication with him.
I wouldn’t say Mr.Merhi treated me like a number but more like the clinic. Dr Merhi always addresses me by my first time each time he see me.
Dr Merhi is trying a more natural approach. I am currently on estradiol. He also had me take hgh for an 6 week period. Also he provide me with a free trial of ozone therapy for 8 weeks. I also had an ovarian rejuvenation done as well. After six month of not ovulating I finally ovulated two eggs but the second one was too small. They received one egg and that a lot because the first time I had egg retrieval I had no eggs. But my embryo did not make it to blastocyst. I am now back for my second go at it and it has been 5 months since my last egg retrieval.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Sometimes the provide incorrect instructions or dose mix ups and drug mix up. Also I received my email really late in the day
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Billing sucks, they don’t get back to you ever. You literally have to harass them. Communication with the nursing staff isn’t the greatest. But the clinic is a well oil machine in a good way. You can be in and out of monitoring in 30 to 45 mins which is great for people who have to work. Very clean facility and the staff is nice. It’s very conveniently located too.
No complaints
Fairly reasonable
Didn’t get to the point
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
The doses amount was translated in units instead of mg. Also type of pill I am taking her mixed up sometimes. But they do have an emergency number too call
New Hope Fertility Center

Dr. Merhi is confident and cheerful and I can truly appreciate that feeling of optimism. He did one of my retrievals and it was so painful, but that was perhaps due to a follicule being, as he put it candidly, “in China”. I don’t interact with him as much as I’d like. I really would love more phone calls but I do feel I can assertively seek him out and will be ensured a response.
New Hope is a bustling and big clinic. ... I wish that someone had provided a personal orientation to the clinic! It’s so hard to navigate these places under high stress and alone. I didn’t understand processes and felt overwhelmed by self advocacy and confusion. ... Nursing staff is more communicative through the patient portal. ... I’d love a counselor to be on staff permanent and as a feature of care for the patient.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Prepare yourself for a big clinic. Alter your expectations if you think this will be a more personal exchange. I am having a very different experience than I had with Dr. Davis of RMA but I believe in the clinic’s competence.
New Hope is a bustling and big clinic. I had come from an experience with Dr. Joseph Davis at RMA which was intimate and human to human. Dr. Davis left his practice and since I had frozen eggs with NHFC, I am now with Dr. Merhi. I really appreciate his cheerful optimism and true willingness to try with me. Although the place is high paced and run like a machine, I feel confidence in the practice.
Initially, I went in to freeze eggs. Dr. Merhi suggested I fertilize them as he instructed embryos had better survivability. My status with my partner did not allow the confidence to move ahead so I froze eggs. I tried, several months later (after my relationship ended) two donor sperm IUIs (one with Dr. Davis-RMA and one with Merhi’s staff). IUI was unsuccessful and I wasn’t thrilled that the Merhi’s clinic kept me waiting, delayed in the reception area bc of some administrative error. I made a written comment but did not receive a reply. Now, I’ve moved on to create one embryo and one mosaic embryo. I am on the verge of meeting with my doc to talk about the viability of the mosaic. I am surprised I wasn’t told about mosaics in my first fertilization round / genetics testing, but Merhi says that it wasn’t available then.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Nursing staff is more communicative through the patient portal. I was slow to understanding this and therefore felt frustration when I wasn’t getting phone calls. Generally the staff is kind, one junior doctor (a female) is not compassionate.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Generally, these guys are a well-oiled machine. Only once, after many monitoring experiences that went well, did they have an admin issue and make me wait even though I had been cleared by Finance! The nurses providing the sonograms are generally nice and competent.
Insurance is mercifully covering monitoring (I still pay $40 copay). The genetics tests is expensive $2-$5K. The retrievals are $1500-2000.
Merhi will move one at a time. Although, and I will find out, he may move 1 normal and 1 mosaic together.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
My issue is one of communication. In a high stress time, I really need someone to sit with me and speak clearly, explaining my options. I’ve gotten much savvier in this process, but the stress was tough. I’d love a counselor to be on staff permanent and as a feature of care for the patient.
New Hope Fertility Center

She [Dr. Makarov] never explained why did anything. First cycle started with pills, and didn’t have shots til the end. Resulted in 3 eggs. Next she started with pills and shots. Resulted in 13 eggs. Next round she did pills and 1/2 the amount of shots. Results 8 eggs. Never discussed why the change. Finally after the third round I asked her why she thought we were getting numerous eggs but no normal ones. Her response was she basically didn’t know. It felt like she just hadn’t thought about it.
They [New Hope] almost had me cancel a cycle because on my retrieval day they had a mistake in their system saying we owed money. We didn’t, we paid the full amount the day before. They were causally looking into it until I insisted that I get my sonogram so they can do my retrieval. One tech said sorry, if you haven’t paid we can’t do anything. She was so rude. Especially because we did pay. They never apologized.
How was your experience with Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center?
What I says before. She was nice, but not very invested in our success. When we came for the follow up after retrieving the eggs and them being abnormal she hadn’t even looked at the results until we were in her office.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center?
Keep on top of everything. Make sure they are giving you the proper information and that you get it on time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center?
You only spoke to her when you were there. She seemed very h concerned with the results. We have 13 eggs retrieved in our first cycle using the shots. None of them came back normal. She never addressed that, it was just onto the next cycle with no discussion. She was nice when you were in the office why her, but felt very detached from our success
Describe the protocols Jennifer Kulp Makarov used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
She never explained why did anything. First cycle started with pills, and didn’t have shots til the end. Resulted in 3 eggs. Next she started with pills and shots. Resulted in 13 eggs. Next round she did pills and 1/2 the amount of shots. Results 8 eggs. Never discussed why the change. Finally after the third round I asked her why she thought we were getting numerous eggs but no normal ones. Her response was she basically didn’t know. It felt like she just hadn’t thought about it.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The ones they took your blood were very nice. They had the most compassion out of any at New Hope.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
You are a number. Especially if you are upstairs. The receptionists do not care that this is one of the most sensitive things someone could go through. The actual office is lovely. You must keep on top of them and insist on the treatment that you want. If you call and want to speak with a doctor they will tell you it’s not possible. You have to insist and make a scene. They almost had me cancel a cycle because on my retrieval day they had a mistake in their system saying we owed money. We didn’t, we paid the full amount the day before. They were causally looking into it until I insisted that I get my sonogram so they can do my retrieval. One tech said sorry, if you haven’t paid we can’t do anything. She was so rude. Especially because we did pay. They never apologized.
This was actually great. You had a large window and rarely a long wait time. The Dr did most of the sonograms, if she was there. She only came in 3 days a week. In 3 retrieval she never did ours
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center.
It’s was about $6000 plus medication. This was only retrieval. We never got to transfer.
Describe Jennifer Kulp Makarov's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
They prefer single
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
They were just disorganized. They would wait to tell you what you needed even if it required you to go to a pharmacy. Ine time they never emailed me with directions. They often didn’t call in prescriptions but the pharmacy thankfully knew us and knew it was a mistake and would give us the prescription.
Jennifer Kulp Makarov
New Hope Fertility Center

Dr Merhi is kind, communicative and responsive. He always gave me information directly l, and at times bluntly, but emphasized his belief that we will have success.... Dr Merhi is thoughtful, on top of the latest developments in the field, willing to think outside the box and incredibly supportive. He is very responsive to emails and always made time for me when I asked either via phone or in person. He even dropped everything he was doing on one day to perform an emergency retrieval after my first retrieval didn’t go as planned. He’s been able to adjust along the way while remaining very positive
Nice facility where treatment is MUCH more affordable than other NYC area facilities. They [New Hope Fertility Center] bill as you go, so you don’t have to plunk down the full cycle costs when you start. Very flexible monitoring hours - 7am - as late as 2pm some days. It can be a bit of a factory at times, and there have been a few days where I’ve had to wait 45-60 min for monitoring.... Limited contact with my assigned nurse. The nurses generally communicate via email which is convenient, though it can be very difficult to get someone on the phone at times.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr Merhi is thoughtful, on top of the latest developments in the field, willing to think outside the box and incredibly supportive. He is very responsive to emails and always made time for me when I asked either via phone or in person. He even dropped everything he was doing on one day to perform an emergency retrieval after my first retrieval didn’t go as planned. He’s been able to adjust along the way while remaining very positive - almost disconcertingly so at times. Very satisfied with him.
Be persistent. He will make time for you but you need to stay in front of him or connect with his coordinator to get on his schedule. He is very busy so don’t be afraid to push!
Mini IVF (clomid, letrozole, 150 follistim) Conv IVF (clomid, letrozole, 225 follistim)
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: MeiDan)
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Nice facility where treatment is MUCH more affordable than other NYC area facilities. They bill as you go, so you don’t have to plunk down the full cycle costs when you start. Very flexible monitoring hours - 7am - as late as 2pm some days. It can be a bit of a factory at times, and there have been a few days where I’ve had to wait 45-60 min for monitoring.
Monitoring hours are very flexible here. Weekdays are 7am - 2pm, weekends are 7am - 12pm which was huge selling point for me. Scans are done by techs and not MDs. Some of were much better than others but nearly all were quite competent.
Consult $350 Unlimited monitoring for 30 days - $800 Retrieval + ICSI + freezing + PGS - 4000
He prefers PGS tested blasts, eSET but is very open to multiple transfers of day 3 or mosaic embryos.
New Hope Fertility Center
He is very knowledgeable and he doesn’t turn you away if you are over 40. In my case he told me egg freezing should be my number one priority.... Also he suggested MINI IVF based on my endometriosis in which I had surgery for and did a successful retrieval 7 days after my NYU surgery to remove 1 Fallopian tube 2 fibroids and polyp. Dr Zheng doesn’t give up on you and his office is innovative and high tech so they are current in the latest advancements in reproductive medicine.
Strengths. - they [New Hope Fertility Center] will work with women in their 40s using their own eggs, they have a smooth system during Registration and Monitoring, nice office, great refreshments, the staff working in egg retrieval are very supportive during egg retrieval. ... [Clinic Errors] Not calling in prescriptions ... Weakness- Billing is always done before a procedure giving you the feeling like they think you’re going to run off without paying, they prefer cash rather billing your insurance. It’s a business but they’re too money hungry.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
He is very knowledgeable and he doesn’t turn you away if you are over 40. In my case he told me egg freezing should be my number one priority. He said I can make you have a baby at 55 but at 55 I cannot retrieve eggs. Also he suggested MINI IVF based on my endometriosis in which I had surgery for and did a successful retrieval 7 days after my NYU surgery to remove 1 Fallopian tube 2 fibroids and polyp. Dr Zheng doesn’t give up on you and his office is innovative and high tech so they are current in the latest advancements in reproductive medicine.
Make sure you have the time to put into the process because right before egg retrieval you have to go to the office for daily monitoring which is time consuming. The office runs well like a well machine you can be in an out and they have great refreshments. It’s a very comfortable and nice office.
It’s a very busy clinic with a flat screen TV that you look for your name to get blood drawn, sonogram, and billing. They seem concerned about billing as they want you to pay first. If they made you pay last it would have a different vibe.
Low dose birth control pills (1/2 a pill for 14 days) 5 - 7 days of Clomid 50mg 1/2 a pill, lupron trigger shot then egg retrieval for MINI IVF. THIS PROTOCAL WILL ONLY YIELD 1 or 2 eggs for retrieval however as a more natural cycle it will yield quality over quantity
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
When ever I had questions they were always available to answer in person or via email
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Strengths. - they will work with women in their 40s using their own eggs, they have a smooth system during Registration and Monitoring, nice office, great refreshments, the staff working in egg retrieval are very supportive during egg retrieval. Weakness- Billing is always done before a procedure giving you the feeling like they think you’re going to run off without paying, they prefer cash rather billing your insurance. It’s a business but they’re too money hungry.
Well oiled machine
$800 per month unlimited monitoring $1250 egg retrieval $800 for genetic testing $2700 for embryo testing
Not yet
Not calling in prescriptions

2012 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr Zhang has a very warm caring personality and he works tirelessly. I do wish he would be open to trying different things when I would for example as for different estrace they would not switch it. ... He was a strong believer in less is more which I get and agree with ... Dr Zhang really likes to implant only 1 embryo at a time he wants that embryo to have the best chance. he will implant mosaics too.
They [New Hope Fertility] seemed to have a certain protocol and they often made mistakes. I would have to call in and they would agree it was an error then give me another protocol. I also had about 18 mos of waiting in between cycles because they did not do FDA paperwork correctly on my donor eggs so they were unable to transfer my embryos until the FDA did their audit ... They can get you in and out quickly for routine monitoring. easy check in system and billing. ...
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr Zhang has a very warm caring personality and he works tirelessly. I do wish he would be open to trying different things when I would for example as for different estrace they would not switch it. I feel like if they did I could have had more sucess.
write everything down keep track of what is working and not working and compare what protocols they give each cycle so you can make sure you are getting the best result.
They seemed to have a certain protocol and they often made mistakes. I would have to call in and they would agree it was an error then give me another protocol. also they were resistent to try different that what they do. for example I was not responding to oral or vaginal estarce. i was desperate to try the patch. they would not prescribe it. I awitched clinics and now my lining is perfect with the patch. I just need a good egg, still in process with new clinic.
He was a strong believer in less is more which I get and agree with. But I had a specific issue of thin lining that did not respond well to the estrace they were giving me and we did cycle after cycle where I had to cancel because of poor lining. when I told them I had met people who had great success with using the patch they were not receptive to that so after years of trying with them Left and that was good because now my lining is perfect and I just need to get the right eggs.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
They are very compassionate and kind. but the disconnect was waiting f or your protocol instructions it always took way longer than they said it would sometimes the next day. it was frustrating, sometimes they gave me a protocol that I felt was off. I would have to call in and every time I did they did say they made an error and would correct it. It was difficult because I felt like I should be able to trust them but it was maybe too many patients. I don't know.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
They can get you in and out quickly for routine monitoring. easy check in system and billing. clean and beautiful spacious office. The nurses are all kind and will try to give you any suggestions they can to help with your success. Dr are not always available but you can wait to see them or ask a question just need to be patient.
monitoring was the easiest and best part. no stress in and out within 30 mins and they really watched out for you if it was taking more than 15 minutes they were back there moving things along. it was the results and protocol that took til the end of the day or next day to get the info.
it was very expensive and the prices kept getting higher and higher. when i first started a transfer was 1200 when i left it was 2500.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
I often felt like the ball was being dropped and had to stay on them to get the information and then call back again to confirm only to find out I was given wrong information. I really feel like they had too many clients otherwise why did this happen so often. I also had about 18 mos of waiting in between cycles because they did not do FDA paperwork correctly on my donor eggs so they were unable to transfer my embryos until the FDA did their audit, it probably exactly why I have not had a 2nd child. infuriating.
New Hope Fertility Center

He [Dr. Zhang] explained I had advanced low egg reserve for a woman my age, but that would not be a barrier. I remember him stating that all we needed was one good egg. He managed our expectations by explaining the process, how it takes time, their philosophy and approach to use minimal drugs, and their team would work with us to accomplish our goal.... When we first met Dr. Zhang, he stated they preferred to do single embryo transfer. However, we were given an option to do up to 2 embryo transfers, but we agreed the single was the best for us.
When we first came to New Hope, we had already been told by a previous and hospital affiliated clinic that the chances of us naturally having a family were slim, and to start considering other options, which we were open to. However, as one last effort, my husband found New Hope Fertility and we were uplifted after our first consultation with Dr. Zhang.... Strengths: - Throughout our journey, the nurses were great at answering all our questions, and were accessible via their email portal. The staff we met were patient and understanding, especially during the multiple appointments for bloodwork/sono, and doctor check-ins
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
When we first came to New Hope, we had already been told by a previous and hospital affiliated clinic that the chances of us naturally having a family were slim, and to start considering other options, which we were open to. However, as one last effort, my husband found New Hope Fertility and we were uplifted after our first consultation with Dr. Zhang. He explained I had advanced low egg reserve for a woman my age, but that would not be a barrier. I remember him stating that all we needed was one good egg. He managed our expectations by explaining the process, how it takes time, their philosophy and approach to use minimal drugs, and their team would work with us to accomplish our goal.
I've learned the entire process takes patience: between waiting for your cycle to start, bloodwork, sonogram, egg retrieval, success of fertilization, success of embryo going to Day 3/5, the ups and downs during any of those steps mentioned, patience & perseverance is necessary; surround yourself with the best possible support team - from Dr. Zhang and team of doctors and those in your personal life to support you during this journey.
- adjusted pills/hormones based on cycle prior to egg retrieval - hormones/pills in preparation for egg transfer - hormones/pills after transfer (successful transfer and pregnancy prior to being released to regular OB)
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
When we were ready to try for our second child, the doctors and nurses were helpful at helping my body re-adjust, as I had just finished breastfeeding and was not consistently in a menstrual cycle. I trusted their advice. Also, seeing the same nurses from our first time, and the fact that some of them remembered us, we could sense how invested they were in our journey as well.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Strengths: - Throughout our journey, the nurses were great at answering all our questions, and were accessible via their email portal. The staff we met were patient and understanding, especially during the multiple appointments for bloodwork/sono, and doctor check-ins. - Very clean, open, bright facility Weaknesses: - On very busy days for bloodwork/sono, wait times can be extended. We always tried to get their very early 7:30am/8:00am to avoid long wait times.
- Best to go in early (7:30am/8:00am) to avoid extended wait times during busy morning cycle. - Nurses and tech staff for blood/sono were great; I was always seen by a doctor afterwards
- We were lucky that my husband's insurance assisted us with cost. - We had a co-pay that we always paid upon check-in
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
I selected "Failed to call with results" b/c there was only one instance where I needed to request the results from a nurse for my day's bloodwork. The nurse apologized and got back to me by the end of the day.
New Hope Fertility Center

The facility works very much like a mill. Your name pops up on a screen when you are supposed to go to one room or another and often when you arrive as directed, the nurses don't know why you're there.... The facility was clean and the staff was clearly competent. However, there were frequently billing errors so that's something patients should focus on. New Hope was not in my insurance carrier's Center of Excellence so I paid for all care out of pocket.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zhang did an excellent job of managing my expectations given my personal circumstances. He was even able to tell me (which he later substantiated via ultrasound) where my fibroids were located based on my description of my menstrual cycles since stopping birth control pills. The RE I saw after Dr. Zhang shared some things with me that suggested IUI was an irresponsible course of treatment for me given the placement of my fibroids. Having said that, I have no regrets about having tried the less invasive procedure because I always would have been curious if we'd gone straight to IVF.
We did three cycles of Clomid, only two of which we completed with IUI. A fill-in doctor convinced my husband that the risk of multiples was too great during our first cycle so we didn't do IUI. However, given my age, the chance of pregnancy was so low he needn't have worried we'd end up with multiples. The second cycle the dose of Clomid was lowered and we didn't get pregnant. The third cycle, the dose of Clomid was returned to the original and we didn't get pregnant. However, Dr. Zhang forewarned me that the placement of my fibroids made pregnancy very unlikely.
Approximately $800/IUI cycle
New Hope Fertility Center

Dr Makarov was so patient and took as much time with us as needed. I know that some other doctors in the practice do not always see their patients, but she saw us each time, unless she was on vacation or out of the office which was very rare. She answered every question we had and was always friendly. ...r Makarov's preference was for us to transfer a single embryo, as she felt there was more risk with multiples.
side from the great care that I received, It was always so clean, and well organized. Karen at the front desk was always so warm and sweet. I never experienced any doctor or staff member to be rude or nasty. ... It [monitoring appointments] was a very easy and straightforward process. ...Oksana and Joanna were my primary nurses and they were so helpful when in explaining next steps and answered any questions that I have.
Dr Makarov was kind and compassionate and always helped put our minds at ease, even when we got negative results, we moved onto the next step and she assured us that we would get pregnant. We fully trusted her judgement and treatment.
Make sure to ask all of your questions and ask her to be honest with you--she will be and will answer any question you have.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Oksana Marchuk)
Oksana and Joanna were my primary nurses and they were so helpful when in explaining next steps and answered any questions that I have. They were always so knowledgable, kind and compassionate.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Overall, I was very happy with the clinic. Aside from the great care that I received, It was always so clean, and well organized. Karen at the front desk was always so warm and sweet. I never experienced any doctor or staff member to be rude or nasty. Of course when you are going so often for monitoring and treatments, you may have a bad experience at some point but that's normal.
I would go between 8-9am on the day that they would tell me to come in. I would check in, and then wait for blood work and monitoring. Some days would take longer than others, but it really just depended on the day and the amount of people that were there. It was a very easy and straightforward process.
It's expensive. No way around it, but if you're insurance doesn't cover IUIs and IVF, it's expensive. The costs at NHFC seem to be comparable to that of other clinics in NYC.
Dr Makarov's preference was for us to transfer a single embryo, as she felt there was more risk with multiples.
Jennifer Kulp Makarov
New Hope Fertility Center

My first cycle and my current cycle have both been with a mini-IVF (low dose) protocol. This cycle, in response to issues from the last, Dr. Lipkin made several changes including lowering the dose of the injection and (planning to) leave a full 36 hours between trigger and retrieval instead of the 34 hours that was done last time...highly supportive of a single embryo transfer as the default as far as I can tell.
The nurses [at New Hope Fertility Center] have been great about walking me through the IVF process and helping answer everything from the “is this normal?” vein of questions to helping me schedule travel around upcoming IVF steps. While it can be difficult to get hold of nurses on the phone at times, they are great with email response and also in person. We have had several nurses really go above and beyond to help explain things and take time with us during this process
How was your experience with Lana Lipkin at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Lipkin is no nonsense. She’s not the most “touchy feely” but is compassionate nonetheless. I feel like I’m in very competent hands with her. She is patient and answers all my questions. She has also been good about not pushing us to do a retrieval during cycles that didn’t have many follicles. She doesn’t seem stuck on the clinic’s numbers but instead is focused on helping us get the outcome we want.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lana Lipkin at New Hope Fertility Center?
You need to advocate for yourself at New Hope in general. If you have questions or want to meet with Dr. Lipkin, ask. It was not offered as often as I would prefer but whenever I requested to meet, I was able to do so fairly quickly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lana Lipkin at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Lipkin is personable and takes the time to answer all my questions clearly and thoroughly each time I meet with her.
Describe the protocols Lana Lipkin used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The nurses have been great about walking me through the IVF process and helping answer everything from the “is this normal?” vein of questions to helping me schedule travel around upcoming IVF steps. While it can be difficult to get hold of nurses on the phone at times, they are great with email response and also in person. We have had several nurses really go above and beyond to help explain things and take time with us during this process
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
New Hope has very experienced, smart doctors and their mini-IVF protocol, which I believe they pioneered there, is a great fit for our needs. It can sometimes feel like a bit of an infertility factory (ie impersonal, crowded waiting room, conveyor belt feeling when you go in for monitoring). That said, they are a well oiled machine and pretty much everyone there has been friendly with us, and occasionally gone above and beyond to bring the human touch to our experience. We are generally pleased so far with our experience there.
Generally, monitoring is smooth and runs like a well oiled machine. Occasionally, it will take a bit longer on busy mornings. I have noticed a range of thoroughness among the ultrasound technicians. Several times the people didn’t seem to look very carefully or thoroughly for follicles, but others are more methodical.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lana Lipkin at New Hope Fertility Center.
We are currently under insurance (2 cycles) so it has just been co-pays plus about $500 for mini IVF medications.
Describe Lana Lipkin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
I have not made it to transfer yet, but New Hope in general and Dr. Lipkin specifically are highly supportive of a single embryo transfer as the default as far as I can tell.
Lana Lipkin
New Hope Fertility Center

DR. Zhang's mini IVF strategy uses less medication, more regular monitoring and a less invasive procedure. This procedures were done to adjust to our egg reserve and quality which have resulted in positive retrievals however no quality fertilization...has regular personal check ins and provides adjusted treatment practices to make sure we are being treated personally and in a sensitive way.
The strengths [at New Hope Fertility Center] are definitely the gentle treatment option and the efficiency of the practice operations. The only weakness I would say is that any of the doctors can provide input on your protocol and the treatment could be inconsistent. You can request to have consistency and limit your response to a couple doctors which has made a huge difference for us.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zhang and Dr. Lipkin have been amazing during this process and have made every attempt to customize treatment to our needs. The monitoring experience reequires regular blood work and sonograms which have been difficult however we have been able to adjust the schedule to meet our needs and sync up to the staff that we prefer. The office staff and billing department are very transparent and accessible
The mini IVF process is a more gentile process than standard ivf and can take more cycles however it is less intense. I would suggest patients visit New Hope Fertility Center first before they go for a full IVF round at another clinic.
Dr. Zhang has regular personal check ins and provides adjusted treatment practices to make sure we are being treated personally and in a sensitive way.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The nurses are available to discuss treatment and review directions or protocols.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The strengths are definitely the gentle treatment option and the efficiency of the practice operations. The only weakness I would say is that any of the doctors can provide input on your protocol and the treatment could be inconsistent. You can request to have consistency and limit your response to a couple doctors which has made a huge difference for us.
The office is open 7 days a week including holidays and the monitor lists your name after you check in to see where you should go. We have a condition which requires the phlebotomist be very sensitive and they definitely comply with that. The sonograms techs are always up front with results and will sometimes bring in a team leader if more information is needed.
Monitoring was about $600, retrievals and testing would be about $7k
We have not experienced this as of yet
New Hope Fertility Center

Dr Merhi did not even recognize me when I saw him in the clinic after the first initial consultation. When the transfer ended in a chemical pregnancy, he did not reach out to discuss next steps or share condolences. During the initial consultation he assured us that he would be the only doctor performing any procedures (transfer, water sono, practice transfer) on me. He didn't care to tell me the week before my transfer that he was not going to be in the clinic. Neither did he return my email after he returned to the clinic (which was after my transfer).
The clinic's [New Hope Fertility Center's] environment is very nice, calm and bright with daylight. There is a big electronic screen that shows you when your turn is up. The office is also conveniently located across the street from a subway stop. The appointments with their doctors are always over 1 hour wait. NO RESPECT for patient's time. When you ask where the doctor is, they tell you the doctor is in the OR.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr Merhi was very warm and provided a lot of details on the day of the initial consultation. He peppered us with follow up emails after the initial consultation. I never saw him in my morning monitoring appointments and he didn't contact me about the transfer, before or after.
Find a different doctor.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The team of nurses were always prompt to send my monitoring results with instructions. Any questions I send they always respond within a day or 12 hours.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The clinic's environment is very nice, calm and bright with daylight. There is a big electronic screen that shows you when your turn is up. The office is also conveniently located across the street from a subway stop. The appointments with their doctors are always over 1 hour wait. NO RESPECT for patient's time. When you ask where the doctor is, they tell you the doctor is in the OR.
$3800 for FET. $350 for initial consultation. $500 for water sono.
New Hope only transfers 1 embryo at a time.
New Hope Fertility Center

Talking to Dr. Merhi for our inital consultation, he was fantastic. Warm, personable and seemed to be very confident. After that, I was basically handed off to nurses and not allowed to speak to the Doctor anymore. ...They push you into not having anesthesia during the egg retrievals at New Hope. I pushed back initially, explaining that my ovaries had a tendency to hide, and that was uncomfortable with just getting an ultrasound. But I trusted them, and did the procedure with only a uterine local. It was traumatizing. They had to bring in a nurse from the other room to push on my stomach to get to my ovary. The constant filling my uterus with liquids made me think of an abortion, which is not what you want to be thinking of when the doctor is retrieving your eggs.
The lobby is nice [at New Hope Fertility Center], and they seem to be well organized on the surface. But they are flashy with no substance. The nursing staff is disorganized, with too many cooks in the kitchen. You have to just know what to do. You wait for your name to flash on the screen to get bloodwork done (it says your chair number). Then you go back to the waiting room to wait for your name & the ultrasound room. To go to the ultrasound room, you walk through the bloodwork area and through a bunch of nurses, who say nothing to you. They do your ultrasound and just leave. Very impersonal, you're just a number.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
They push you into not having anesthesia during the egg retrievals at New Hope. I pushed back initially, explaining that my ovaries had a tendency to hide, and that was uncomfortable with just getting an ultrasound. But I trusted them, and did the procedure with only a uterine local. It was traumatizing. They had to bring in a nurse from the other room to push on my stomach to get to my ovary. The constant filling my uterus with liquids made me think of an abortion, which is not what you want to be thinking of when the doctor is retrieving your eggs. They told me it would take 5 minutes, it was closer to 30. Dr. Merhi took a break, as I was in so much pain. He said there were two eggs that he could get to, and I said to just keep going (now I realize that they should have stopped. I was crying and very upset). They kept going, and Dr. Merhi kept apologizing. The egg quality was bad, so neither eggs got past the operating room.
Dr. Merhi seems like a very nice person, but DO NOT GO TO THIS CLINIC. What they do and what they say are two very different things.
Talking to Dr. Merhi for our inital consultation, he was fantastic. Warm, personable and seemed to be very confident. After that, I was basically handed off to nurses and not allowed to speak to the Doctor anymore. Plus, the waiting room is like an upscale DMV.
He wanted to do mini-IVF, as I have low ovarian reserve. First cycle, birth control pills, then half a clomid for 7 days. Second (cancelled) cycle, birth control pills and 1/4 clomid for 7 days. He said that my previous clinic had been "overfeeding" my eggs, and he'd had much success with this method. No results produced whatsoever.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Samantha, Joanna, Laura, Iris, etc)
Disorganized and awful. The nurses (there are more than I can keep track of) all send you different emails. You ask them a question and the all give you different answers because there's no communication.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The lobby is nice, and they seem to be well organized on the surface. But they are flashy with no substance. The nursing staff is disorganized, with too many cooks in the kitchen. You have to just know what to do. You wait for your name to flash on the screen to get bloodwork done (it says your chair number). Then you go back to the waiting room to wait for your name & the ultrasound room. To go to the ultrasound room, you walk through the bloodwork area and through a bunch of nurses, who say nothing to you. They do your ultrasound and just leave. Very impersonal, you're just a number.
It felt like an upscale DMV. You checked in, and waited to see your name come up on a TV screen in the lobby that sent you to bloodwork or the ultrasound room.
It was covered by my insurance.
The reason why we went there - they bank embryos. I'd previously only done fresh cycles, and it wasn't working. They do multiple embryo transfer, but I think that was because of my age.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
They would tell me things at the very last minute (5pm when my pharmacy is closed and expect me to be able to get fertility medication). They would say "You have your trigger shot?" when it was never ordered.
New Hope Fertility Center

He [Dr. Liu] doesn't remember your chart and has no clue what he is doing. After my 1st failed embryo implantation, he failed to convey what his plan was to improve chances for 2nd embryo transfer. My 2nd embryo did not implant and he only told me after that it was not a good embryo and had very little chances of implantation...Poor communicator...never available to answer my questions or guide me about the approach
There are a lot of nurses at New Hope and there is no 1 single nurse you will communicate with. I had a different nurse every time I went there or someone who sent me a protocol for medications. If you have any questions, the nurses are not very fast to respond to/ get in touch with...The clinic failed to inform anything about medications or why the plan was changed...They have monitoring hours from only 7am-3pm. You cannot book an appointment and sometimes the wait time was almost an hour to get blood work and sonogram. They don't handle special requests such as if you have to leave early, etc. For instance, one day I needed to get out by a certain time to catch the train and they were like-"we can't do anything about it, you have to wait"
How was your experience with Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
Strengths: None Weaknesses: Poor communicator. It is nearly impossible to understand what Dr Liu says because of his accent. During one of my Hysteroscopy procedures, he started talking to me in Chinese without thinking that I don't know the language. He doesn't remember your chart and has no clue what he is doing. After my 1st failed embryo implantation, he failed to convey what his plan was to improve chances for 2nd embryo transfer. My 2nd embryo did not implant and he only told me after that it was not a good embryo and had very little chances of implantation.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
Do not waste your time to see him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
The staff and doctors at New Hope are just trying to process your blood work and sonogram. They don't take a look at your history and don't remember which medications you have been taking. Dr Liu was never available to answer my questions or guide me about the approach
Describe the protocols Zitao Liu used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I was given Follistim for about 10 days before egg retrieval. Post embryo transfer, I was taking Progesterone in oil shots to help the embryo implant and increase progesterone in blood. My endometrium lining is also on the thinner side, so I was taking estrogen supplements every day
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Strengths: Mini ivf for anyone looking for less invasive IVF Weaknesses: Majority of staff is Chinese here, so it is very tough to understand what they are saying including Dr Zhang. No communications about treatment plan/ changes in protocol. Billing is very slow as well. They would keep sending me bills instead of getting it from insurance and would never respond to my emails. Almost feels like a mill..too many people and no personalized approach
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center.
My insurance covered most of it but i paid around $2k for genetic testing, medications and copay
Describe Zitao Liu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
My doctor recommended single embryo transfer as he thought I had a smaller body frame and we should avoid any risks with twins
New Hope Fertility Center

He [Dr. Liu] is nice. Like the other doctors there, he doesn't really explain why they are using the medications or such. I don't think most patients want to know as much as we do...he has a kind and respectful demeanor and he does not have the big ego that a lot of doctors have....I like it that you can choose to do egg retrievals without sedation. Most clinics will not allow the patient this choice...
Usually you get an email from embryology telling you if your embryos made it but once we had no idea for days and had difficulty getting this information....I like the monitoring here. It is very efficient and you come when you want to (mornings and maybe afternoons?)..The clinic [New Hope] is very busy but does monitoring and retrievals every morning seven days a week. They are very economically priced compared to most clinics in America.
How was your experience with Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
He is nice. Like the other doctors there, he doesn't really explain why they are using the medications or such. I don't think most patients want to know as much as we do. I'm not sure any ivf doctors would explain much anywhere else either but I don't know.
I don't know.
I like Dr. Liu. Like Dr. Zhang, he has a kind and respectful demeanor and he does not have the big ego that a lot of doctors have.
We've done natural and mini ivfs at the clinic. I really can't remember specifically which times we did what. I don't have many follicles but we do have a couple of frozen blasts after this that we did not choose to pgs test because of finances and other reasons.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
They are busy. Some of them are nice and some seem to not to have much empathy or understanding of the sacrifices and difficulties of being infertile and paying for ivf.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The clinic is very busy but does monitoring and retrievals every morning seven days a week. They are very economically priced compared to most clinics in America. I like it that you can choose to do egg retrievals without sedation. Most clinics will not allow the patient this choice.
It depends on what you are doing. The clinic is much cheaper than most US ivf clinics. We didn't use insurance so I don't know about that at all.
I'm not sure. We have not planned any transfers yet.
New Hope Fertility Center

This clinic [New Hope] is open seven days a week for monitoring, which is great. Unfortunately they only do egg retrievals before about 11:30 so that means doing a natural retrieval is impossible and you have to use a trigger. ...The embryology department did not always keep us informed about how many embryos were still surviving. They seem to be extremely busy...The nursing staff seems very busy. Some of them are nice but a couple are uncaring and downright rude;
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
I think he is kind and has a good personality. He does not have the massive ego that a lot of doctors have. However, he is very busy so you won't see him much. Although you can request to see him sometimes and you can pay another fee to get follow up consultations. I really do not know how good he is because he does not explain why he is doing things in this way instead of that way so I can't evaluate the why of what he does or evaluate his thinking skills. I am a person who likes to understand the reasons that decisions are being made so this is not the best style for me. But I'm not sure that any ivf doctors really explain much about their decisions to the patients.
This is a busy clinic. It can be frustrating sometimes as a patient because you can feel like a widget on an assembly line. On the other hand, there are some ways that they automatically personalize the service in ways that other clinics do not. For example, you get to decide for yourself whether you want to use sedation for egg retrieval or not. I prefer not, which saves us $500 each time. I also do not like sedation so I am happy I can choose not to use it. Most ivf clinics will not allow you this choice. I have inquired at many clinics and 99% force you to use sedation even if you are only retrieving one to three eggs. I do not think that is a reasonable approach and I think it is disrespectful to the patient to take away their right to make medical decisions about things that are not truly a necessary part of a procedure. I think allowing the patient this choice is part of the general approach of respecting the patient so this is one of the things I love about New Hope.
This is a very busy clinic, which allows them to keep their costs low. They are much cheaper than any other clinic I have contacted in America and I have called many. Because of their high volume, I don't think they really have time for a lot of very individualized attention but they do their best. Dr. Zhang is really very nice. All their doctors are very nice. The nurses are hit or miss.
I mostly did natural cycles with mini or ultra mini ivf a couple times. This is because I am at an age where I don't have many eggs to conventional just would not do anything beneficial for me and would have some negatives. We have two five day blasts frozen. We did not pgs test them so we do not know if they are aneuploidy. We were told that at my age, the likelihood is that they will not have normal chromosomes. The clinic let us decide whether to test them and did not pressure us either way. We are trying to collect and freeze several five day blastocysts while we can and implant later.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The nursing staff seems very busy. Some of them are nice but a couple are uncaring and downright rude; these ones may not have much empathy for the amount of money the patients are spending or the mental stress of being infertile. In our case, we have spent all of our savings and then had to stop making attempts and then saved again for almost a year to try again because for us it will be a numbers game. The doctors said that my fertility is unusually good for my age but our chances of a baby are better if we can freeze several embryos. We will never regret using all our savings for this and all future savings. However, it is a big sacrifice and it is an all day round trip drive for us every time we go there. I also suffer from extreme motion sickness so when we arrive at the clinic, I am always feeling very ill. Everything about undergoing ivf on a budget is extremely difficult. The doctors seem to understand this but some of the nurses often seem to lack the maturity to understand what the patients are experiencing.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
This clinic is open seven days a week for monitoring, which is great. Unfortunately they only do egg retrievals before about 11:30 so that means doing a natural retrieval is impossible and you have to use a trigger. I think this is common for most clinics. At least they are open seven days a week. Many clinics close on Saturdays and/or Sundays. As I mentioned, they allow you to do retrievals without sedation if you want, which also saves you $500 and in my opinion is healthier for your brain. They have an in house lab for the standard monitoring bloodwork. They get good prices on outside lab work. Monitoring is much cheaper there than at other clinics I have researched. I don't like the smell they pump in to the clinic. We call it the New Hope smell and our clothes/coats/hair reek of it after being there. We are both very smell sensitive so we wish they would not use any fragrances in the clinic. I have not done any cycles at other clinics so I do not know what the differences are in how much individual attention you get.
Monitoring is very efficient. You go when you can get there and the wait is usually not that long.
It depends on what you do. It is much cheaper than most clinics if you are paying for your own cycles. We have never had insurance which covers ivf so I have no idea how that would work.
It seems that the doctor and clinic overall prefer to implant one embryo because they feel this gives the overall highest chance for success. But I think they allow the patient to decide this within reason.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
The embryology department did not always keep us informed about how many embryos were still surviving. They seem to be extremely busy. It feels like torture a little bit to wonder day after day whether our embryos were still growing or had been disposed of. Usually they email you to tell you that but not always. One cycle when we did not get any news, I kept calling trying to find out. I left messages and emails but did not hear anything. When I finally asked the receptionist about it, she was a bit nasty about telling me that the embryology department is very busy taking care of embryos and do not have time for me. I told her that all i wanted to know is whether our embryos from nearly a week before were still living or had been disposed of. I can guess the embryology department might be overwhelmed. I can only hope that they are at least taking good care of the embryos. The doctors seem to be conscientious so I do believe that they are doing a good job behind the scenes.
New Hope Fertility Center

Dr. Merhi explains everything very clearly and is always happy to speak with me or email with me whenever I have questions or concerns. He's a little bougie, but always friendly & kind. He does research once a week, which I like. He's paying attention to all the latest research.... He used birth control pills to prep cycles. He, like the other doctors at New Hope, is comfortable with low or no dose protocols. I also used clomid at the beginning of cycle a few times. I've never made more than 6 eggs tops, but that's fine there. They aim for quality over quantity, which fits my body better than traditional treatments.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Be clear about your priorities. Dr. Merhi will make best efforts to accommodate.
Dr. Merhi always found time to speak with me whenever I asked. And he always responded to my emails quickly. I felt like my protocols were always specific to me and they never tried to fit me into a general protocol. Most of the nurses are great. Not every day was perfect but most were just fine and efficient.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Many are great. Some are more chatty & personable than others. New Hope does a lot of monitoring, so I definitely had favorites. I have found the post retrieval nurses to be my least favorite. They are inattentive & occasionally rude. This may be due in part to a language barrier and cultural differences.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
They see a lot of people. Unlike other clinics that have limited monitoring hours, New Hope offers monitoring from 7am - 2pm, which is great. I have definitely felt like a number there, but sometimes that's fine. Sometimes I just want to get in & out as fast as possible. The best days I was done in 20 min. The worst I wasn't properly input into the system and waited over an hour just to get the blood draw. Many of the doctors are not native English speakers and some have challenging accents. I appreciate that this clinic is independent and values new research.
It's fairly well-oiled machine. Some days were better than others. Some times of day are better than others too.
The cost is significantly less than the other clinics we looked at. The procedures are less costly and they prescribed fewer medications at lower doses.
Dr. Merhi is very against multiple embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
Twice I didn't get an email with my instructions and had to call and hunt someone down to give me the info. On the other hand, they once went out of their way to help me get a prescription quickly so I could travel.
New Hope Fertility Center

Dr. Liu is very insightful caring and innovative. He doesn't give up in the face of challenges or set backs. He modified treatment plans for the best possible outcome. He communicates with you every step of the way and is always encouraging you along the way...From the very beginning I was treated with the utmost respect and care and was told for the first time that I could have a baby using my own eggs.
The clinic [New Hope] is the most comfortable atmosphere I've ever been in.... The front desk staff is always helpful and pleasant...the nursing staff is very diligent in answering questions ordering medication and making sure that you have everything you need to undergo treatment....Monitoring is set up in the most efficient and caring way. You check in and then look for your name to pop up on the screen signaling it's your turn. Nurses nd staff are always friendly and efficient and they get to know you personally.
How was your experience with Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Liu is very insightful caring and innovative. He doesn't give up in the face of challenges or set backs. He modified treatment plans for the best possible outcome. He communicates with you every step of the way and is always encouraging you along the way. I highly respected him for his honesty and would recommended him to everyone.
When visiting Dr. LIU it is best to be as informed as possible about your specific needs and concerns. Dr. LIU will answer all of your questions with detailed explanations. He almost gives you a mini lesson in such a sweet way if you truly want to understand something more in depth. Bring all your questions no matter how insignificant they may seem he will be happy to answer them.
Dr. LIU is the most positive and motivated fertility doctor that I hve ever met. He passes along his enthusiasm and profound insight onto his patients. He is honest caring and very proactive always trying to tweak treatment to get the best possible results. As a woman in her 40's with DOR and tubal related infertility, I had gone to another fertility center where I was always left feeling discouraged and told on several occasions that I should consider donor eggs. I made a decision to leave this other reputable clinic and opted to give New Hope and Dr. LIU a chance. I'm glad I did. From the very beginning I was treated with the utmost respect and care and was told for the first time that I could have a baby using my own eggs. At first I was skeptical after all I had been told at the previous clinic but after 2 ivf cycles with Dr. LIU, I was able to create 3 embryos. Dr. LIU has encouraged me every step of the way and even when I said that maybe I would consider donor eggs, he said no ..I believe you can have a baby with your own. This brought tears to my eyes and hope to my heart. Dr. LIU is very passionate about helping his patients no matter what their medical issues are. I appreciate him and everyone at New Hope they truly gave me my hope back when I was in a very dark place. I am trying to gather financing for 1 more ivf cycle/transfer so that we can finally try for our baby. Dr. LIU is someone I would highly recommended to anyone. He is innovative and always encourages you to believe that anything is possible.
Dr. LIU prescribes 1/2 dose of bcp's prior to starting a cycle for 10 day only as to not over supress my ovaries. I was also put on Clomid and Letrozole to stimulate multiple follicle development which I responded to nicely. I used a mini ivf protocol with minimal gondateopin injections ( gonal f) 75-150 for about 10-12 day. Cetrotide was used the last 3 days of stimulation in order to prevent ovulation. Lupron 20 mg was used as a trigger shot along with 1/2 dose of Ganirelex. This cycle resulted in 7 eggs retrieved 5 fertilized 2 made it to Blast.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The nursing staff is very diligent in answering questions ordering medication and making sure that you have everything you need to undergo treatment.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The clinic is the most comfortable atmosphere I've ever been in. As soon as you walk in you smell relaxing scented oils and hear beautiful meditation music playing in the background. It's very bright and spacious. Plenty of comfortable seats and a large beautifully lit fish tank that you can gaze upon. They have big tv screens where your first name and last initial pop up so that you know it's your turn to go in for either blood work or sonogram. The front desk staff is always helpful and pleasant . They offer wonderful refreshments such as coffee tea and cucumber lemon water as well as healthy snacks such as fruit and oatmeal cookies while you wait. It's such a relaxing place.
Monitoring is set up in the most efficient and caring way. You check in and then look for your name to pop up on the screen signaling it's your turn. Nurses nd staff are always friendly and efficient and they get to know you personally. I loved how efficient and easy monitoring is.
A typical IVF cycle for egg retrieval and fertilization under a mini ivf can cost up to $4500-5500. Depending if you are doing a frozen 5 day or fresh 3 day transfer. There is a separate flat rate monitoring fee of $800 Medications is separate and I acquired it through my insurance with co payments.
Dr. LIU recommended multiple embryo transfer due to my age in order to increase pregnancy chances.
New Hope Fertility Center
Though he [Dr. Zhang] got me pregnant with normal pgs girl, I miscarried. And each cycle after that he refused to listen to me or change protocol. I noticed a trend with my labs during monitoring, which I was right about, but he just didn’t care...originally said it would be mini ivf. But it wound up being ultra mini ivf with clomid only (one cycle he used letrozole).... each cycle I only produced one follicle. And I pay out of pocket. I asked if we could stimulate me more, given I’m Paying for a retrieval for one egg, but he kept saying no
Strength [at New Hope Fertility Center]: they don’t give up on you and don’t tell you to go for donor egg. They have an amazing lab. Weakness: they too won’t change protocol and they treat you like a number. AWFUL nursing staff. No contact with anyone when you have questions. No one is accessible...While I was miscarrying in the ER, I’m hysterically crying, in my stretcher and I call them to let Dr Zhang know ... Liliana answered (the receptionist) and said “you are no longer a patient here”.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Though he got me pregnant with normal pgs girl, I miscarried. And each cycle after that he refused to listen to me or change protocol. I noticed a trend with my labs during monitoring, which I was right about, but he just didn’t care
Listen to their concerns
Never got to speak w the Zhang. Nurses wouldn’t even call you. They send you an email with your instructions. If you have questions it’s impossible to get in touch with them
Dr Zhang originally said it would be mini ivf. But it wound up being ultra mini ivf with clomid only (one cycle he used letrozole).... each cycle I only produced one follicle. And I pay out of pocket. I asked if we could stimulate me more, given I’m Paying for a retrieval for one egg, but he kept saying no
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: All of them )
Terrible!!! Awful!!!! I would expect the doctors to be cold, and nurses to be warm but frankly it was the opposite here. They send you a generic email with instructions. It’s a template. If you have questions they won’t answer you. And if you call them the receptionist (liliana) will never connect you. While I was miscarrying in the ER, I’m hysterically crying, in my stretcher and I call them to let Dr Zhang know ... Liliana answered (the receptionist) and said “you are no longer a patient here”. (I was 7 weeks and never discharged to my OB). As I’m crying in the phone, begging her to connect me to my dr she continues to passive aggressively tell me “I graduated” and was no longer a patient there. Long story short —- after that traumatic experience, I made a formal complaint the following week. The supervisor told me liliana had put in her resignation the week prior so “that’s probably why she was behaving that way” .... fast forward two months, Liliana is back. I speak with supervisor as to how she can work there with how she treated me and refused to connect me, a patient, to my dr while I’m in the ER miscarrying. The supervisor said “we gave her extra training afterwards” Terrible. Need I say more
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Strength: they don’t give up on you and don’t tell you to go for donor egg. They have an amazing lab. Weakness: they too won’t change protocol and they treat you like a number. AWFUL nursing staff. No contact with anyone when you have questions. No one is accessible.
affordable Retrieval $1250
N/a I only had one embryo