6.2
6.2

4 Columbus Circle

What he [Dr. Zaher Merhi] explained made sense but then I felt rushed into an egg retrieval that I didn’t feel confident would work considering the cycle before (my cycles are very unpredictable) they thought I had two cysts. Then 9 days later they thought they were eggs and good to retrieve and we went in and got nothing...He has great bedside manner but I am unsure that he really has the best course of action as a physician. He is willing to try unconventional things.
They [staff at New Hope Fertility Center ] don’t communicate plans well or call everything is via email...You check in and then wait for your name to show on the Tv screens and go in for blood then back out to wait for your name on the tv to see a different nurse for ultrasound and then back out to wait for the nurse (coordinator) to call you back to discuss and the doctor if he is available. I don’t like this approach it makes you feel like a number. But Dr. Merhi’s team is very responsive through their email portal.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
I had renewed hope after seeing him as he was confident that we could use my eggs as opposed to donor even tho my first RE at the age of 30 had told me I needed to move to donor eggs. What he explained made sense but then I felt rushed into an egg retrieval that I didn’t feel confident would work considering the cycle before (my cycles are very unpredictable) they thought I had two cysts. Then 9 days later they thought they were eggs and good to retrieve and we went in and got nothing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
His team is very responsive and he has great bedside manner and remembers personal details about myself and my husband.
Describe the protocols Zaher Merhi used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
He had me try a 14 day course of BC pills in an attempt to lower my FSH. The last BW I had done 2 months prior was 79. I had to stop after 11 days as I had gained 9 lbs. Coming back in after that my FSH was down to 10 and I don’t remember the last time it was that low. At the ultrasound they thought I had two cysts. I had a period. And came back in for more BW and ultrasound on CD 9 after taking estrace for 14 days and they said I was good to go and rushed me in for an egg retrieval 2 days later. Turns out as I suspected they were still the two cysts from before. So we got nothing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center.
I don’t like how they run their clinic. You wait for your name on a board and go in to get your blood then back out and wait for your name on a board and back into a different person for the sonogram and then back out and the nurse talks to you and the doctor if you request.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The way they treat patients through a cycle. You check in and then wait for your name to show on the Tv screens and go in for blood then back out to wait for your name on the tv to see a different nurse for ultrasound and then back out to wait for the nurse (coordinator) to call you back to discuss and the doctor if he is available. I don’t like this approach it makes you feel like a number. But Dr. Merhi’s team is very responsive through their email portal.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
The communication was very poor. They knew I was unavailable for what would have been the next cycle and when I called with CD1 of my period while I was on a work trip and wasn’t able to come in until CD10, at that visit they decided that what they previously thoughts were cysts were follicles and that we had to come in for an egg retrieval. I got this information via email and when I called rather confused and with concerns was told that the doctor was sure. They don’t communicate plans well or call everything is via email.
New Hope Fertility Center

1st retrieval [with Dr. Olcha] was a cyst so we grew the remaining follicles. He tweaked the Clomid dosage...Next cycle he might do clomid + injectables (Im doing "mini ivf")...He actually cares. I feel he is customizing & tweaking everything based on most recent results. he takes time to explain everything & make sure Im at ease & understand everything. When doing my retrieval (my 1st ever) he explained to me every step of the way which kept me so calm. I know the difference since my prior doc treated me like a #. Dr Olcha is night and day from her & Im soooo happy I switched to him. Doctor Nps
I usually deal with [the nurses at New Hope] who draw blood + the sonogram. Nurses usually just email the instructions (after you leave). the ones I have dealt at the clinic, some are very dry/no bedside manners....one told me I was pregnant (instead of letting doc tell me...it was a chemical pregnancy)...i saw her again 2 weeks later & she didnt even remember me...[monitoring is a] super well oiled machine. Window is 7am thru 1pm....7-9am if you want to speak to a doctor. I would get in 7:45 and be our by 8:30-8:45 in time to get to work. Super easy
How was your experience with Meir Olcha at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr Olcha was my 2nd doctor here. He came in to explain how they couldn’t do retrieval the next day (what would have been my 1st) since I had ovulated…Orlissa didn’t work for me. He explained to me in 5 mins more than my prior doc at same clinic had explained to me in 2 months with her. He gave me options (clomid to grow rest of follicules vs timed intercourse which he recommended the later). I had a consultation with him since I noticed he was an RE & I just kept thinking of how different (good) I felt with him vs my prior doctor. 10 seconds into the meeting I started crying…it was like all my walls came down & I felt safe…I felt I could ask him and I wasn’t being rushed. He said “don’t cry, you are going to make me cry!”…something my prior doc would have NEVER said. I knew right there he saw me as a person, a human, not just another body. He went on to explain the whole process, calm/not rushed, would draw as he explained, talked in simple terms so you can understand. He looked at my prior results & immediately said what needed to be tweaked. On my 1st egg retrieval – it ended up being an empty follicule (Cyst). Again he came to give me the bad news (vs sending a nurse). He knew my plan didn’t cover it & it was all out of pocket so he said he would process it thru my medical insurance as a cyst removal and if they covered it, I would get a credit with New Hope. That was the case which was a $1250 relief I could use towards next procedure. This also was my 1st retrieval ever. He kept me so calm, telling me what he was doing as he was doing it. That helped a lot! He said we would grow the remaining ones (lutheal fase & plan of action) On my 2nd retrieval, I had 2 eggs retrieved, 1 fertilized. It didn’t make it to day 7. He said he would call me but since we had a consultation he figured he explained 1:1. Again he explained everything so clearly going step by step of the process & where my embryo stopped growing. I literally leave his office with so much hope every time since he explains every step & he has a plan of action already. He makes me feel safe & taken care of. He works weekends which is great since less people there. When I get monitoring (blood & sonogram) – I usually see him right after looking at my results & getting to plan of action. He sometimes will either come in during or after the monitoring and answer any questions. He is very hands on. My prior doc I was with for 2 months & saw her twice (1st consultation + a meeting scheduled by me). With Dr Olcha I’ve seem him almost every time I’ve been there & If I don’t, I get very detailed emails from his nurse support team with his recommendations. Im so happy I switched to him. He is the reason I have hope & feel like I can trust the science. That he is looking out for me & doing what is best for me. Its truly customized & making changes as we go & know more. He is night and day from my prior doc & I will recommend him to ANYONE (I already have). He is the best combination of knowledgeable, calm, compassionate, very good at explaining…..he is the PERFECT COMBO OF SCIENCE MEETS HEART! I feel so lucky God put him on my path. I trust he will get me there
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Meir Olcha at New Hope Fertility Center?
Ask him anything. He will explain and you will feel so much better after.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Meir Olcha at New Hope Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Meir Olcha used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
1st retrieval was a cyst so we grew the remaining follicles. He tweaked the Clomid dosage (from 100mg from prior doc to 50 mg)...not sure if since I was in lutheal phase. Next cycle he might do clomid + injectables (Im doing "mini ivf")
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
I usually deal with those who draw blood + the sonogram. Nurses usually just email the instructions (after you leave). the ones I have dealt at the clinic, some are very dry/no bedside manners....one told me I was pregnant (instead of letting doc tell me...it was a chemical pregnancy)...i saw her again 2 weeks later & she didnt even remember me (even do she did a big mistake).
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Strength - Very efficient. You are in & out in 30-60 mins. I have time to get to work before 9am. Never a long wait You come in, check in, then look at monitor which tells you chair to draw blood or sonogram room. After you get email with instructions & next steps. weakness - some of the nurses & Dr Lipkin (no bedside manners)....need a little bit more compassion. My doc is great so it's worth it for me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meir Olcha at New Hope Fertility Center.
retrieval - 1,250 fertilizing egg to embryo - 1,500 Trigger shot - $100 Monthly monitoring - 200-250/month (my health plan covers 80% so I guess cost would be 1k if not)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
just 1 incident where I had 2 nurses send me emails with different instructions. This is before I know after monitoring you just go home & wait for the email so...I actually had someone tell me there what the next steps where. I replied to the email & said "i was told xyz(A), one of you is stating that (A) but another nurse emailed be (B)...which one is it??"....nurse I knew called me & clarified.
Meir Olcha
New Hope Fertility Center

She [Dr. Lipkin] gives you the minimum (information wise)...When asking about retrieval & if she would do all my procedures she laughed and said “no there is a group of doctors here & depends who is assigned for it that day. But don’t worry (insert laugh)…’it’s a very easy procedure – anyone can do it really” (thought it was very unprofessional & didn’t like fact she thought this was a joke. For someone who’s never done this, it’s a pretty big deal specially the 1st time. She did not give me that comfort security feeling at all. On my consultations with her - I felt rushed & was trying to get as much in since I could feel her being annoyed. It was very clear to me every time I was just a body to her...didnt get the feeling a)she was doing her best for me or b)even believed I could get pregnant.
had 2 nurses [at New Hope Fertility Center] emailed me 2 different conflicting instructions. Luckily I stayed at clinic until I was told my next steps (didnt know yet at this point they always email you & you dont have to wait there for it). I asked for clarification & nurse called me & confirmed...never got to retrieval since I ovulated...Strength - very organized, efficient, great billing department, great front desk staff, great hours/opened weekends, Weakness - nurses bedside manners are lacking. Advice - do your research on the doctors & maybe have a consultation with a few to figure out best match for you. I stayed too long with Dr Lipkin. I've understood more & been taken care of more by Dr Olcha than I did with Lipkin.
How was your experience with Lana Lipkin at New Hope Fertility Center?
I was at New Hope for 2 months before switching doctors (from Lipkin to Dr Olcha…did a review for him too). I had a consultation with her and she seemed cold, robotic, very factual which is fine, answering questions with a smirk (ego type of laugh)…I felt like I was just one more for her. It was our 1st meeting & not even 5 minutes in she said “You know….you don’t have to take so many notes…we are the experts, you need to trust”. I explained that I do that anywhere for future reference in case I forget. When asking about retrieval & if she would do all my procedures she laughed and said “no there is a group of doctors here & depends who is assigned for it that day. But don’t worry (insert laugh)…’it’s a very easy procedure – anyone can do it” (thought it was very unprofessional & didn’t like fact she thought this was a joke. For someone who’s never done this, it’s a pretty big deal specially the 1st time. She did not give me that comfort security feeling at all. On our 2nd meeting (which I scheduled since after 2 months I hadn’t seen her yet since our original consultation), I had a list of questions. I felt rushed & was trying to get as much in since I could feel her being annoyed. One of my questions was “why where we doing “mini ivf vs. regular ivf?”. Her response was “because we cant create something out of nothing”…after this I froze, felt shocked & realized no point in asking more questions. I felt like crying. I realized then that she did not care for me. She did not believe she could get me pregnant. I was just one more…one more body. I asked what was my ovarian reserve & she said it should be 4-5 follicles per ovary so yours is low even for your age”. I asked my new doctor the same question a month later & he said it was consistent with my age (2-3 total). Our 2nd meeting was also when I found out by a nurse I was pregnant but when talking to Dr Lipkin 5 mins later as she explained “well you are ..except you are not”…she had no compassion when telling me, just told me I had a chemical pregnancy and happens to a lot of women. I left the clinic and had to google what a chemical pregnancy was since still wasn’t very clear. I had a trigger shot & came next day to confirm retrieval. It turned out I had ovulated so missed the chance. The doctor that came in to explain is the one who became my new doctor (Dr Olcha – did review for him here too). She never called me or emailed me. After 2-3 weeks post that event & not hearing from her plus all reasons above, I decided to switch to Dr Olcha & Im soooooo glad I did. The experience has been night & day. Anytime I talked to friends who had gone thru this process they would ask me questions & I could not answer. I had lists of questions for my doctor yet felt like I was just one more, going for blood work & sonogram but no real doctor connection, a doc looking out for me & really watching/customizing my case. The clinic is super efficient but her bedside manners are not the best. A friend of mine who had her wife pregnant there said the same thing…bedside manners are lacking. Dr Lipkin – THUMBS DOWN big time. Big disappointment, big waste of time. Dr Olcha (separate review) – THE BEST! So happy I made the switch. They are night & day & he is pure LIGHT
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lana Lipkin at New Hope Fertility Center?
She has no bedside manners, not compassionate. if you care to have someone who has your best interests, actually cares, is compassionate - I would NOT go with her. Advice - schedule consultations once a month or whenever you need them since she wont....she relies on nurses to send email with recommendations but not much personal touch/interaction from her side.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lana Lipkin at New Hope Fertility Center?
Like a # with her. I had a consultation with her and she seemed cold, robotic, very factual which is fine, answering questions with a smirk (ego type of laugh)…I felt like I was just one more for her. She is not tactful, her answers are short & she wont tell you anything unless you ask. She gives you the minimum (information wise). I When asking about retrieval & if she would do all my procedures she laughed and said “no there is a group of doctors here & depends who is assigned for it that day. But don’t worry (insert laugh)…’it’s a very easy procedure – anyone can do it really” (thought it was very unprofessional & didn’t like fact she thought this was a joke. For someone who’s never done this, it’s a pretty big deal specially the 1st time. She did not give me that comfort security feeling at all. On my consultations with her - I felt rushed & was trying to get as much in since I could feel her being annoyed. It was very clear to me every time I was just a body to her...didnt get the feeling a)she was doing her best for me or b)even believed I could get pregnant.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Nursing staff doesnt have the best bedside manners. Emails are detailed and easy to follow (its a clinic thing not linked to the doctors per se) but did notice Dr Olcha has a separate nurse support group (smaller group so more hands on vs all the nurses for the full clinic)
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lana Lipkin at New Hope Fertility Center.
trigger shot $100 never got to retrieval since I ovulated. before my next cycle/retrieval I switched to Dr Olcha thank God!
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
had 2 nurses emailed me 2 different conflicting instructions. Luckily I stayed at clinic until I was told my next steps (didnt know yet at this point they always email you & you dont have to wait there for it). I asked for clarification & nurse called me & confirmed
Lana Lipkin

2015 - 2019, Successful
One of my main criticisms of New Hope is that you don't regularly see or speak with a doctor. You mainly work with the nurses -- via email. So it feels impersonal. If you make a request and the doctor is available during monitoring, Dr. Merhi for instance would come into the room and chat with you. He is very personable and kind and treats you like a human for sure.... The relationship with the nurses at New Hope is quite odd -- mainly just via email. You hardly ever get to see them bc they are not drawing the blood or doing the sonograms. Generally difficult to get a nurse on the phone.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Merhi did my transfer that resulted in my little one - so I will forever be grateful. He has a great bedside manner and is very personable and obviously he is skilled at transfers. A year or so later, when I went back to try for number two, my transfer with him did not succeed (not saying it was anything he did, could have just been the odds game). Then I decided to try to create more embryos, and had a failed attempt on a cycle. When I discussed the failed IVF attempt, he really didn't offer any tweaks or adjustments to my protocol. It was kind of - it is what it is at your age. You just need to try again and maybe you will get a good egg next time. I felt like this was a bit disappointment. I'm not sure how knowledgeable he is on the various protocols and research being done in the infertility areas.
Do your research, ask a lot of questions, demand that a specific doctor follow your protocol.
Mini-IVF: clomid, letrozol and follistim, followed by Ovidrel as a trigger shot. For the transfer, progesterone suppositories and estrogen pills.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The relationship with the nurses at New Hope is quite odd -- mainly just via email. You hardly ever get to see them bc they are not drawing the blood or doing the sonograms. Generally difficult to get a nurse on the phone. I have had it happen on a number of occasions where I receive conflicting emails info from nurses. Also it has become a big hassle to get your prescriptions called in. They email the protocol to you with your meds and you say, please call into X pharmacy and they respond "please email [insert email] regarding prescriptions." Seems like we shouldn't be worrying about this and that the calling in of prescriptions should be handled better. Caused a bit of stress for me bc I had to repeatedly follow up on prescriptions being called in.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The wait time for regular monitoring and sono is pretty short -- they run like a well-oiled machine in this regard. They also have good hours 7-2, so it doesn't interfere with work too much. I do believe that the lab / embryology dept. there is quite good and the folks working in the lab are top of the game -- you can email them as well with questions and they are responsive. Herminio (in embryology) is really great and compassionate and helped us through some stressful times. I wish there was more interaction with your primary doctor - -in fact, I didn't even feel like I HAD a primary doctor at all. I sometimes felt like maybe nobody was really focusing on my protocol. Again, I did have success at New Hope in 2015/2016, and it is more recently that I've grown concerned about the level of care I am receiving. NH could potentially be a one-protocol kind of place -- not sure how customized the treatments are. The cost at New Hope is also much more reasonable than other places, so that's a plus (assuming of course you are getting the care you need and want).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center.
Egg retrieval & fertilization (excluding monitoring and drugs) ran around $4500 (with anesthesia). This was pretty reasonable comparatively.
Describe Zaher Merhi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
Dr. Merhi transferred 2 normals for me -- ended up with one baby.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
I received conflicting information from nurses on one occasion, which was disconcerting. I also had trouble getting prescriptions called in.
New Hope Fertility Center

Dr. Merhi was wonderful with consultation. However he did not due my retrieval, didn't follow up with me whatsoever, and basically was almost non existent throughout the process.... He is very nice but consultations with him seemed rushed. He didn't really ask questions or informed us much what was coming next. He started us off with an IUI (natural cycle) which didnt work. We moved on to Mini IVF and he never called, emailed, or followed up with me before or after IVF. At this point I dont even think I am his patient.
The clinic [New Hope Fertility Center] is amazing as a whole. The monitoring is very self explanatory and easy. You go in and wait for your name to come out in the screens, and they tell you exactly where to go. I liked the facility and the ease it has... The nursing staff there is fast and efficient. Monitoring is a breeze. If you go early youll be in and out in no time. The coordinator sometimes responds a little late but she is very nice.... The billing department is not as well ran as the nurse and sonogram staff.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Be prepared to not see him, he will not follow up with you.
Dr. Merhi was wonderful with consultation. However he did not due my retrieval, didn't follow up with me whatsoever, and basically was almost non existent throughout the process. A Dr. Zhang I believe was the one to do my IUI and my retrieval.
Dr.Merhi began with a natural IUI cycle since I already ovulate on my own. I dont know why I dont get pregnant. After it failed he didnt call me or follow up. I called the clinic and told him I wanted to do IVF which his answer was ok no problem and just sent me to a coordinator to explain meds for IVF. I was on clomid 100mg and Gonal F for about 10 days. Again, didnt see him or hear from him. Retrieval was coordinated by nurses and another RE in the clinic was the one to do the procedure.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Samantha Brown)
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The clinic is amazing as a whole. The monitoring is very self explanatory and easy. You go in and wait for your name to come out in the screens, and they tell you exactly where to go. I liked the facility and the ease it has
Monitoring was the best part of this experience. Everyone is so nice and efficient
IVF-4000 Medications- Gonal F and Clomid- 1500 Monitoring per month 800 IUI 800 Egg Transfer 3000 (Havent done this yet but we have to pay it soon) 750 PGS Testing per embryo... we are doing 3 embryos 2250 in total
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
The billing department is not as well ran as the nurse and sonogram staff.
New Hope Fertility Center

I saw him [Dr. Zhang] three times so far, most information gotten from the nurses and ultrasound techs around me. Things felt rushed with him, not much of a personal touch in my opinion... He's very knowledgeable and does cutting edge stuff. However he's not very present. I would like to be able to see my doctor more often or feel like I'm being heard. Most of my questions were answered by ultrasound techs.... We did an ultra mini IVF cycle which involved clomid and femara tabs only. I was able to produce 4 mature eggs which all got fertilized, however I ended up with one very good grade blastocyst.
Very clean and calming atmosphere. Things move very fast there [New Hope Fertility Center]. There's a whiteboard which flashes your name and also guides you on where to go. Everyone is courteous but it tends to feel very impersonal since they have so many patients. They also communicate mainly by email which can be a good thing. Questions are answered promptly. I would also say that costs are very reasonable there.... Reasonable. My ultra mini IVF so far has cost about 10k
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
He's very knowledgeable and does cutting edge stuff. However he's not very present. I would like to be able to see my doctor more often or feel like I'm being heard. Most of my questions were answered by ultrasound techs. Also because I understood the plan for the day I have found myself asking for things I was told during the previous appointment, that the people I interacted with on the day of were not aware
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Ask for a full explanation of the pros and cons of each step or procedure
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
I saw him three times so far, most information gotten from the nurses and ultrasound techs around me. Things felt rushed with him, not much of a personal touch in my opinion
Describe the protocols John Zhang used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We did an ultra mini IVF cycle which involved clomid and femara tabs only. I was able to produce 4 mature eggs which all got fertilized, however I ended up with one very good grade blastocyst. We also did PGS testing for aneuploidy which came back aneuploid. I think I shouldn't have done PGS testing on my only blastocyst especially since I have never had a miscarriage. I was able to get them to do a saline sonogram which showed i had a possible polyp and was then scheduled for hysteroscopy.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Very clean and calming atmosphere. Things move very fast there. There's a whiteboard which flashes your name and also guides you on where to go. Everyone is courteous but it tends to feel very impersonal since they have so many patients. They also communicate mainly by email which can be a good thing. Questions are answered promptly. I would also say that costs are very reasonable there.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center.
Reasonable. My ultra mini IVF so far has cost about 10k
New Hope Fertility Center

Dr. Makarov is very nice and she helped me understand how the whole IVF journey would go as it was my first time. She encouraged us to switch our insurance company so that we could have more IVF cycles for the new year which we didn't realize was an option. A lot of times I felt a little lost as to what the big picture plan would be which I guess can be the nature of IVF...You may be someone who won't need too much meds/stimulation to be successful but if you're like me (DOR), you may need more and I wish I would have figured this out earlier and started somewhere else.
They [New Hope Fertility Center staff] get you in and out very quickly and the whole place is a very well-oiled machine. The Billing department is very on top of it and good at explaining the costs etc. The clinic itself is very conveniently located and has great hours for monitoring. Again, understand their specialty which is 'natural and mini IVF'...Monitoring was any time from 7am-2pm during the week and 7-12pm on the weekends. There were a lot of different ultrasound technicians that would perform ultrasounds when the doctor was too busy or wasn't in (on the weekends)
How was your experience with Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center?
Understand that NHFC is a very very busy clinic that specializes in 'natural IVF'. You may be someone who won't need too much meds/stimulation to be successful but if you're like me (DOR), you may need more and I wish I would have figured this out earlier and started somewhere else.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center?
The clinic is super busy and it was hard to get a chance to talk to her even though she was doing my ultrasounds almost every day. She is very nice and happy to explain things but super busy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The nurses were really nice and caring. Sometimes I wasn't sure if they seemed to remember me and my specific needs/issues which I know is hard because they must have so many patients that they are caring for at one time.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
They get you in and out very quickly and the whole place is a very well-oiled machine. The Billing department is very on top of it and good at explaining the costs etc. The clinic itself is very conveniently located and has great hours for monitoring. Again, understand their specialty which is 'natural and mini IVF'. They offer regular IVF but didn't start there for me and maybe they should have.
Monitoring was any time from 7am-2pm during the week and 7-12pm on the weekends. There were a lot of different ultrasound technicians that would perform ultrasounds when the doctor was too busy or wasn't in (on the weekends). The clinic seemed to hire a bunch of new technicians when I was going there and it just felt like so many different people were caring for you that I would worry info would be lost among all of these moving parts.
Jennifer Kulp Makarov
New Hope Fertility Center
He is very knowledgeable and he doesn’t turn you away if you are over 40. In my case he told me egg freezing should be my number one priority.... Also he suggested MINI IVF based on my endometriosis in which I had surgery for and did a successful retrieval 7 days after my NYU surgery to remove 1 Fallopian tube 2 fibroids and polyp. Dr Zheng doesn’t give up on you and his office is innovative and high tech so they are current in the latest advancements in reproductive medicine.
Strengths. - they [New Hope Fertility Center] will work with women in their 40s using their own eggs, they have a smooth system during Registration and Monitoring, nice office, great refreshments, the staff working in egg retrieval are very supportive during egg retrieval. ... [Clinic Errors] Not calling in prescriptions ... Weakness- Billing is always done before a procedure giving you the feeling like they think you’re going to run off without paying, they prefer cash rather billing your insurance. It’s a business but they’re too money hungry.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
He is very knowledgeable and he doesn’t turn you away if you are over 40. In my case he told me egg freezing should be my number one priority. He said I can make you have a baby at 55 but at 55 I cannot retrieve eggs. Also he suggested MINI IVF based on my endometriosis in which I had surgery for and did a successful retrieval 7 days after my NYU surgery to remove 1 Fallopian tube 2 fibroids and polyp. Dr Zheng doesn’t give up on you and his office is innovative and high tech so they are current in the latest advancements in reproductive medicine.
Make sure you have the time to put into the process because right before egg retrieval you have to go to the office for daily monitoring which is time consuming. The office runs well like a well machine you can be in an out and they have great refreshments. It’s a very comfortable and nice office.
It’s a very busy clinic with a flat screen TV that you look for your name to get blood drawn, sonogram, and billing. They seem concerned about billing as they want you to pay first. If they made you pay last it would have a different vibe.
Low dose birth control pills (1/2 a pill for 14 days) 5 - 7 days of Clomid 50mg 1/2 a pill, lupron trigger shot then egg retrieval for MINI IVF. THIS PROTOCAL WILL ONLY YIELD 1 or 2 eggs for retrieval however as a more natural cycle it will yield quality over quantity
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
When ever I had questions they were always available to answer in person or via email
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Strengths. - they will work with women in their 40s using their own eggs, they have a smooth system during Registration and Monitoring, nice office, great refreshments, the staff working in egg retrieval are very supportive during egg retrieval. Weakness- Billing is always done before a procedure giving you the feeling like they think you’re going to run off without paying, they prefer cash rather billing your insurance. It’s a business but they’re too money hungry.
Well oiled machine
$800 per month unlimited monitoring $1250 egg retrieval $800 for genetic testing $2700 for embryo testing
Describe John Zhang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
Not yet
Not calling in prescriptions
New Hope Fertility Center

Dr Mehri was always familiar with my case and what was going on when we spoke. He was personable and empathetic.... He was friendly, personable, and cared about me as a patient. Flexible and willing to try things that I wanted, even when he didn’t think they would make a difference. Very responsive to emailed questions.... [Protocols] Mini ivf - 150 gonal F, 50 clomid, 2.5 letrazole. Goal was quality over quantity.... 1 PGS embryo. Multiple embryos if untested.
Bloodwork and ultrasound nurses [New Hope Fertility Center] were very pleasant. There were some communication issues (protocol mix up) when emailing with nurses for instructions.... Very efficient monitoring system. Never waited longer than 1/2 hour for monitoring. Great monitoring hours (7am to 1pm). Not all patients opt for general anesthesia (most do local). I did general and the anesthesiologist that they hire from an outside agency
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
make sure you request that he (and not the general team) follows your case.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Bloodwork and ultrasound nurses were very pleasant. There were some communication issues (protocol mix up) when emailing with nurses for instructions.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Very efficient monitoring system. Never waited longer than 1/2 hour for monitoring. Great monitoring hours (7am to 1pm). Not all patients opt for general anesthesia (most do local). I did general and the anesthesiologist that they hire from an outside agency was late which caused my retrieval to be delayed by 45 minutes and caused me a lot of anxiety.
An efficient well oiled machine. Your first name appears on tv monitors in the large waiting room letting you know when to go back for bloodwork, ultrasound, or billing dept.
$4000 for a retrieval freeze all cycle plus $800 for 1 month of monitoring.
1 PGS embryo. Multiple embryos if untested.
New Hope Fertility Center
[Dr. Zhang is a] Knowledgable and experienced doctor but overall care lack communication and interpersonal care...dont expect to be updated about course of treatment and explained why certain procedures are done...barely saw the doctor, only came into the clinic to do blood work and ultrasound and communicated with others such as RNs through email. Communication through email was not always responsive. I needed to know why after each cycle, I still haven't conceived yet and if there were any concerns in regards to my fertility health but was not communicated to me. Poor communication and not an interpersonal clinic.
barely saw the doctor [at New Hope Fertility Center] , only came into the clinic to do blood work and ultrasound and communicated with others such as RNs through email. Communication through email was not always responsive. I needed to know why after each cycle, I still haven't conceived yet and if there were any concerns in regards to my fertility health but was not communicated to me. Poor communication and not an interpersonal clinic.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
clinic with experienced doctors and nurses. they try to be professional and compassionate. the clinic site looks well maintained. But truly lacking in interpersonal communication and you will be left in the dark about the plan of treatment even if you are in the medical profession. The clinic feels like a 'baby mill'.
it was definitely expensive for just bloodwork and sonogram
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
i missed one dose of oral pills to stimulate ovulation multiple times because medication was not called in to my pharmacy and since the clinic closes early, I was not able to contact anyone to put in my time sensitive medications so I only took 4/5 oral pills.
New Hope Fertility Center
Personal time with [Dr. Liu] was not rushed, he always made the effort to answer questions, even on off times with a text or email at the least...Straight forward information, no over blown promises and clear responses to questions. We had to travel into NYC and he made an extra effort to work with our schedules on weekends. He was able to help make my wife feel like her questions mattered
The facility [at New Hope Fertility Center] was well maintained and staff profession and respectful of the clients. They made sure we were well informed of our options and the details on the procedures so that there were no surprises...Only down side was parking in the area, but it has easy access by subway and hotels nearby...I am a licensed NYS RN having worked with many medical teams and I felt that they had a good handle on the facts, the skills and managed clients with respect.
How was your experience with Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
make sure you ask questions to ensure you get the most support.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
Personal time with doctor was not rushed, he always made the effort to answer questions, even on off times with a text or email at the least
Describe the protocols Zitao Liu used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
don't fully remember the details of the IVF at this time
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
attentive, well trained. I am a licensed NYS RN having worked with many medical teams and I felt that they had a good handle on the facts, the skills and managed clients with respect.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Only down side was parking in the area, but it has easy access by subway and hotels nearby. The facility was well maintained and staff profession and respectful of the clients. They made sure we were well informed of our options and the details on the procedures so that there were no surprises.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center.
we had a grant from NYS
Describe Zitao Liu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
We did genetic screening and were able to select the most viable embryo and had a successful implantation based on the details the doctor gave us
Zitao Liu
New Hope Fertility Center

Dr. Zhang was very friendly and extremely smart. I got the feeling that he is very busy though and I my biggest fear with New Hope is that I would get lost in the mix. However, Dr. Zhang is very personable, kind and seemed confident with his plan for me.... He recommended a mini IVF because of my age (39) with PGD testing and then eSET.... He was very much in favor of eSET due to risks of multiples.... Know that you will be seeing ultrasound techs
The biggest strength I believe is their very reasonable pricing. Also, they [New Hope Fertility] have a strong belief in natural/low stim IVF cycles especially with older women as they believe it helps with egg quality. The weakness for me was the factory like feeling there.... I got the impression that New Hope is a very well run factory. I felt shuffled along and sort of lost along the way.... Dr. Zhang was very friendly and extremely smart. I got the feeling
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Know that you will be seeing ultrasound techs and not the doctor very often.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
They seemed very confident and kind.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The biggest strength I believe is their very reasonable pricing. Also, they have a strong belief in natural/low stim IVF cycles especially with older women as they believe it helps with egg quality. The weakness for me was the factory like feeling there.
My insurance covered everything.
He was very much in favor of eSET due to risks of multiples.
New Hope Fertility Center
He [Dr. Zhang] does not look at every case thoroughly and adjust treatment accordingly. He changes treatment plan with high risk. In one of my cycles, he ignored a dominant follicle and gave me clomid to grow the other follicles. When the other follicles did not grow, he advised to retrieve the dominant one which was 30 mm and rotten... I’ve done mini Ivf and natural ivf. The procedures were good. However there were a lack of proper data analysis to customize and alter treatment
Each cycle is about 5550 without medication... Good condition, toilets are sometimes dirty, hygiene ...... Accounts [New Hope Fertility] are difficult to communicate with... laboratory is quick but they don’t process blood work after 2 pm in case of emergency. Bad communication between NHFC and genetic test labs... Well organized but not much of an emotional support... I’ve done mini Ivf and natural ivf. The procedures were good.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
He does not look at every case thoroughly and adjust treatment accordingly. He changes treatment plan with high risk. In one of my cycles, he ignored a dominant follicle and gave me clomid to grow the other follicles. When the other follicles did not grow, he advised to retrieve the dominant one which was 30 mm and rotten
Don’t put lots of hope.
Not looking into each patient case.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Well organized but not much of an emotional support
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Good condition, toilets are sometimes dirty, hygiene ...... Accounts are difficult to communicate with... laboratory is quick but they don’t process blood work after 2 pm in case of emergency. Bad communication between NHFC and genetic test labs
Each cycle is about 5550 without medication
New Hope Fertility Center
Don’t expect to see him [Dr. John Zhang] on your visits...I hardly ever saw him only in the beginning and plan for transfer...he talks really fast, at times it’s hard to understand him...I mostly see NP and ultrasound tech. They ensure me that Dr Zhang goes over my chart but then again I don’t know if it’s him or someone else...[protocol included] Birth control pills, clomid, Ganirelix injection...They don’t explain why they chose a protocol or explain why changes were made
[Nurses at New Hope Fertility Center are] Very professional and answer as much as they can...They don’t explain why they chose a protocol or explain why changes were made...They have no remorse for self paying patients. They want their money upfront and charge for everything. They refuse to use insurance for blood work or ultrasound for insurances that don’t cover fertility...Don’t expect to see him [Dr. John Zhang] on your visits...I hardly ever saw him only in the beginning and plan for transfer...he talks really fast, at times it’s hard to understand him...I mostly see NP and ultrasound tech. They ensure me that Dr Zhang goes over my chart but then again I don’t know if it’s him or som
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr Zhang came highly recommended by my GYN. However I hardly see him and he talks really fast, at times it’s hard to understand him. I put my trust in him through my GYN. I mostly see NP and ultrasound tech. They ensure me that Dr Zhang goes over my chart but then again I don’t know if it’s him or someone else.
Don’t expect to see him on your visits
I hardly ever saw him only in the beginning and plan for transfer
Birth control pills, clomid, Ganirelix injection.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Very professional and answer as much as they can
I spent over $25,000 already
I only have one normal Pgs tested embroyo
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
They don’t explain why they chose a protocol or explain why changes were made
New Hope Fertility Center

He [Dr. John Zhang] is straight to the point...We did Mini IVF and ICSI because of male factor infertility...I felt like a human because I always had my questions answered through emails...is very knowledgeable and did not push any extra procedures. He was straight to the point. He explained everything that was going to happen. If i needed to speak to him in person he was usually around in the morning when I was having monitoring...
They [doctors at New Hope Fertility Center] prefer one embryo at a time but we chose two and they let us...They do not sugar coat things, they say exactly what and why and how things are happening. They communicate mostly through email. Their are a few different departments but you mostly deal with the nursing department and the prescription department...I felt like a human because I always had my questions answered through emails.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr Zhang is very knowledgeable and did not push any extra procedures. He was straight to the point. He explained everything that was going to happen. If i needed to speak to him in person he was usually around in the morning when I was having monitoring.
He is straight to the point.
I felt like a human because I always had my questions answered through emails.
We did Mini IVF and ICSI because of male factor infertility
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The nursing staff answered each and every question I had. They were helpful with the entire process.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Monitoring was from 7am-1pm which was very convenient. I would go right before work and make it in time. Results of blood tests were given within 4-5 hours and clear instructions were always provided.
They prefer one embryo at a time but we chose two and they let us
New Hope Fertility Center

My doctor [Dr. Zhang] took time to sit down with me and address any concerns i had, and followed up with a direct phone call to see how i was doing and If I had further questions or concerns. ... While my plan at the time was to freeze my eggs, I would have liked time for a one on one discussion on my infertility issues in depth. ... The egg freezing procedure costed me around 6k per cycle - much less than the 10k on average.
Nurses at New Hope went above and beyond in terms of communication and procedures. ... The clinic was very clean and had state of the art equipment and procedures were run with the utmost professional staff. I am completely satisfied and highly recommend this clinic to anyone that is looking for top quality service at an affordable price.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
There were certain costs i felt were unecessary, but NH worked with me to adjust the bill. While my plan at the time was to freeze my eggs, I would have liked time for a one on one discussion on my infertility issues in depth.
Clearly communicate with the doctor regarding short and longer-term fertility goals, and about any issues you might have. NH is flexible and can work with you.
My doctor took time to sit down with me and address any concerns i had, and followed up with a direct phone call to see how i was doing and If I had further questions or concerns.
New Hope Fertility Center
Dr. Makarov was very knowledgeable and professional during my entire process. I trusted her and I got the results I wanted on the first try! I’m very satisfied. I would recommend her to anyone who is interested in doing the iv... The nurses and staff [New Hope Fertility] were very helpful. Always there to assist in any questions or issues. They were very kind and knowledgeable.
The nurses and staff [New Hope Fertility] were very helpful. Always there to assist in any questions or issues. They were very kind and knowledgeable.... Clinic is very clean. Staff are very knowledgeable and helpful. They are equipped with everything you need. The hours of operation work perfect with my work schedule. The medication I was able to get right at the office.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The nurses and staff were very helpful. Always there to assist in any questions or issues. They were very kind and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center.
The grant was very helpful. I would not have been able to proceed without it.
Jennifer Kulp Makarov
New Hope Fertility Center

He [Dr. Zaher Merhi] may not always be available as most doctors cannot be, but his staff is great at getting back to you. He does call and reach out which was great, as our previous doctor didn't typically do that. We felt he was also on point with all the new technology, studies, standards of practice etc and did not subscribe to anything that was not proven or did not have statistical significance...We did donor egg cycles What was different vs. other donor cycles I'd done at another facility was: addition of low dose prednisone, progesterone suppositories, no lupron, no lovenox, no birth control pills prior to cycle initiation, Estradiol throughout. On the second transfer, addition of 1 ml of progesterone sub q.
Most communication occurs via email. Additionally, New Hope was fairly priced and more reasonable than other clinics (which we GREATLY appreciated) and offered more advanced care. It can feel slightly cold or isolating, however, we didn't mind as we weren't there for the experience. We were there for results. And that is what we got!...The nurses are very good and there are several monitoring your progress. Most of the communication is via email. They are very responsive on email and if/when you prefer or need to speak live, they are there for you. Since I've gone through many cycles previously, I knew what to do, aske and expect.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Merhi reviewed my history and on our first visit knew immediately what the challenge was. He caught and diagnosed what was missed twice, by another very reputable IVF clinic. It was confirmed during surgery and he corrected the problem. We had gone through 11 unsuccessful IVF's and 3 IUI's at another facility and had just about every test imaginable. We were told there was nothing wrong but there obviously was and hadn't we seen Dr. Merhi, we believe we would never have discovered the true reason for the infertility. And now that is had been surgically corrected, we are pregnant!
Dr. Merhi is kind, compassionate, funny and extremely knowledgeable. He may not always be available as most doctors cannot be, but his staff is great at getting back to you. He does call and reach out which was great, as our previous doctor didn't typically do that. We felt he was also on point with all the new technology, studies, standards of practice etc and did not subscribe to anything that was not proven or did not have statistical significance.
Dr. Merhi was very kind, easy to speak with and made himself available when we had a question last minute on the day of the transfer. We felt and knew he had our best interest at heart from the moment we met him and were confident in his knowledge, experience and diagnosis.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
New Hope was very different for us versus the previous clinic we worked with. It is very fast paced, technologically advanced, and reminds me of the military in the respect that they have everything down to a science. Most communication occurs via email. Additionally, New Hope was fairly priced and more reasonable than other clinics (which we GREATLY appreciated) and offered more advanced care. It can feel slightly cold or isolating, however, we didn't mind as we weren't there for the experience. We were there for results. And that is what we got!
The costs for self pay were more reasonable and fair than other clinics in other states. Also, I was delighted that we did not have to pay for everything up front all at once as we had to do at another clinic. They have a fair pricing and payment structure.
Due to my age, Dr. Merhi advised on single embryo transfer. He educated us fully on the risks so we could make an educated decision.
New Hope Fertility Center

my husband and I ALWAYS felt that we were respected and treated well by Dr. Merhi...Speaking directly with Dr. Merhi always felt very personal -- he is honest, but also has excellent bedside manners...you'll always have to wait a while to consult with him and he doesn't have a lot of time...with every one of these "setbacks", Dr. Merhi implemented some kind of solution-oriented strategy to try to obtain a better outcome. Sometimes this meant just continuing medication and waiting a few days for the situation to change, and in other times it was really about building the best possible conditions for a successful transfer. I
One definitely develops preferences for some of the nurses over others [at New Hope Fertility Center]. I am extremely grateful to one sonographer who managed to carefully inspect my results and discovered that I would need to have a hysteroscopy to remove a growth before the FET...I almost always received my "instructions" after the monitoring sessions. However, there was one occasion in which I didn't receive any instructions because they essentially forgot to email me that day. This caused me to delay taking certain medications, which I should have started taking the night they forgot to email me.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
We initially began the IVF journey at the New Hope clinic with another doctor. However, my OBGYN doctor had recommended Dr. Merhi, and I had felt put off by some of the communication with the other doctor, so we decided to switch to Dr. Merhi. I am so grateful that we did. Along our journey, there were definitely unexpected twists and turns -- a smaller number of eggs than expected reacting to the stimulation medication, a need for me to have a hysteroscopy done, uterine lining not thickening up to the desired level by the scheduled date. While we had direct consultations with Dr. Merhi at only some of these junctures, with every one of these "setbacks", Dr. Merhi implemented some kind of solution-oriented strategy to try to obtain a better outcome. Sometimes this meant just continuing medication and waiting a few days for the situation to change, and in other times it was really about building the best possible conditions for a successful transfer. I knew that he was personally checking my charts after every monitoring session I had, so I felt personally cared for. I am a firm believer in doing my own research and making sure that as a patient, I always advocate for myself. I also knew that I could express my worries or doubts to Dr. Merhi and his responses were always honest, but comforting. Is the IVF science perfected for pregnancy to be guaranteed each time? Of course not. But having a doctor who is truly your cheerleader and doing their best to strategize the best scientific road to success is crucial.
Dr. Merhi is busy, busy, busy. There is always a line out the door of patients out the door to see him. If you choose to be treated by Dr. Merhi, I would suggest: - Communicate! Be open about what are your concerns are with your cycle. - Do your own research and always advocate for yourself! Prepare your own questions so you can best make use of the time at the in-person consultations. - Don't be discouraged if you can't always see him in person. We would occasionally see other doctors for consultations just for questions or concerns, if we couldn't see him.
Speaking directly with Dr. Merhi always felt very personal -- he is honest, but also has excellent bedside manners, which I believe is super important during the entire stressful IVF process (especially since I found myself very sensitive every step of the way!). Dr. Merhi is one of the most in-demand doctors at the clinic, which means you'll always have to wait a while to consult with him and he doesn't have a lot of time. However, my husband and I ALWAYS felt that we were respected and treated well by Dr. Merhi. It always felt worth the wait just to be reassured by him, and to really feel that he was (is) genuinely determined to help us obtain success in our IVF journey.
During the retrieval cycles, we used birth control pills, letrozole and Clomid pills, as well as Gonal-F and Cetrotide injections. My second cycle (which was when we had switched to Dr. Merhi) produced better results than the first cycle (with another doctor). I actually asked to be placed on a higher medication dose because I felt that the dosage in the first cycle wasn't stimulating enough follicles -- Dr. Merhi prescribed a higher dose of the Gonal-F and added in some of the other pills, and we were able to retrieve more eggs and create more embryos the second time around. Regarding transfer, I had one failed FET and one successful FET. Leading up to the first FET, I was taking Prometrium (progesterone). After the first failure, Dr. Merhi expanded the medication protocol to include Progesterone in oil injections, a small dosage of Prednisone and baby aspirin. I believe that these medications helped my body to be more prepared to successfully accept the second FET.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
You'll see the nurses for your regular monitoring -- drawing blood and sonograms. The nurses are often rotating so on occasion I would see a few nurses that I recognized and had grown friendly with. Some nurses are not as friendly -- some are colder and just trying to "get it done". However, this made me appreciate more the few nurses/sonographers who were just more sensitive to my situation, taking care to look carefully at the results, and to answer my questions. One definitely develops preferences for some of the nurses over others. I am extremely grateful to one sonographer who managed to carefully inspect my results and discovered that I would need to have a hysteroscopy to remove a growth before the FET.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Strengths: - More friendly pricing (we found it cheaper than other clinics) - Flexible monitoring windows that can accommodate different schedules - Convenient location at Columbus Circle, emailing instructions (instead of calling -- really awkward to take those calls in public!). Weaknesses: - You won't see your doctor each time you come in to monitor (unless you wait after monitoring) as you are monitored by the nurses - No one explains what to expect for normal procedures prior to that day (ie I wanted to know exactly what to expect on egg retrieval day or transfer day) so if you're interested in knowing beforehand, make sure you schedule a consultation to ask a staff member directly what to expect. - Sometimes we would be waiting for a consultation with the doctor, and the doctor's nurse support staff (not the monitoring nurses) would try to field our questions instead of letting us see the doctor directly... when this happened, we often felt really dissatisfied with the nurses' answers -- and often they were not consistent with the doctor's answers! Again, my advice is to always advocate for yourself, and insist on seeing the doctor even if the nurses are trying to get you out the door. If you advocate for yourself, then I believe you will have a good experience. Notes: The clinic is, as are many of the doctors, busy busy busy. You can be a human, or you can be just a number. I think that part of it really depends on how you advocate for yourself.
It's a pretty efficient monitoring system. Most of the time I was able to be in and out (bloodwork and sonogram) within 20-40 minutes. Once in a while, the wait was so long and I had to check in with the front desk again to make sure they didn't forget about me. Make sure to not be afraid to check in again if you feel that you've been waiting longer than 30 minutes for bloodwork.
We paid out of pocket for costs as our insurance would not cover any of it. Costs, with medication, ran around $10,000 - $12,000 per retrieval cycle. The FET is around $3000. It helped to get medication for a pharmacy recommended to me by a friend (Medcal Pharmacy), which had a special discount with patients from New Hope and also delivered the medications straight to my door, free of charge.
I was told that it was safer for a woman at my age to transfer one embryo. Personally, my husband and I weren't interested in transferring more than that at one time, so we were already on board with Dr. Merhi's approach to eSET.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
I almost always received my "instructions" after the monitoring sessions. However, there was one occasion in which I didn't receive any instructions because they essentially forgot to email me that day. This caused me to delay taking certain medications, which I should have started taking the night they forgot to email me. I had to initiate asking the clinic why I didn't receive any information, in order for them to finally provide me with them. At another point, the nurses gave me different instructions for continuing / stopping medications than what the doctor told me. (Obviously I went in to speak directly to the doctor to clarify the situation and clearly took the doctor's advice over the nurses'.)
New Hope Fertility Center

[Dr. Meir Olcha] tailored a fertility plan based on YOUR body, your hormones, your #’s, & the right timing...preferred a single embryo transfer but was understanding if I wanted a multiple embryo transfer...He responded promptly to all my emails. Exhibited Very compassionate & caring Behavior...He got me pregnant my 1st round of a FET cycle. I am now nearing my 3rd trimester. I thank him for this rainbow baby that will soon be in our home. He responded promptly to all my emails and actually took the time to call when I needed answers. He is an amazing Dr. and an even better man.
the clinic [New Hope Fertility Center] tends to treat you more like a # as opposed to a person. The clinic is sometimes organized when it comes to monitoring appointments...Nursing staff was ok...Clinic told my wife that she had ovulated when in fact she had not...Monitoring at nh was good. If you come in early, you are in and out...Costs were affordable for an iui and ivf treatment protocol...tailored a fertility plan based on YOUR body, your hormones, your #’s, & the right timing, then I please advice you to go to Dr. Olcha.
How was your experience with Meir Olcha at New Hope Fertility Center?
After my partner and I suffered years of infertility and loss, I prayed to god that he send us an angel. That Angel came in the form of Dr. Olcha. If you go to NH, & you want a Dr. that is intuitive, compassionate, caring, motivated, & will tailor a fertility plan based on YOUR body, your hormones, your #’s, & the right timing, then I please advice you to go to Dr. Olcha. He got me pregnant my 1st round of a FET cycle. I am now nearing my 3rd trimester. I thank him for this rainbow baby that will soon be in our home. He responded promptly to all my emails and actually took the time to call when I needed answers. He is an amazing Dr. and an even better man.
An amazing Dr. best Doctor at the practice.
Nursing staff was ok.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
With the exception of Dr. Olcha, the clinic tends to treat you more like a # as opposed to a person. The clinic is sometimes organized when it comes to monitoring appointments. Dr. Olcha brings a human side to the clinic as opposed to a factory setting.
Monitoring at nh was good. If you come in early, you are in and out.
Costs were affordable for an iui and ivf treatment protocol.
Describe Meir Olcha's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
Dr. Olcha preferred a single embryo transfer but was understanding if I wanted a multiple embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
Clinic told my wife that she had ovulated when in fact she had not.
Meir Olcha
New Hope Fertility Center
Dr. Zhang used Clomid with me for all of the cycles...recommended a single 5day embryo transfer and that is what we did...During initial consult, Dr. Zhang went over the treatment plan, which was just going with my natural cycles and using Clomid to control timing of ovulation. Dr. Zhang told us we’d be pregnant in 6 months. We went through 6 retrievals with 4 viable embryos. Had the first transfer with a 5day frozen embryo and got a BFP! I am now 33 weeks along with a baby girl and have 3 more embryos on ice. I call Dr. Zhang our miracle worker
Monitoring hours [at New Hope Fertility Center] are 7am-1 or 2pm. Was in and out every time I went in. You get the blood work done, go back into the waiting area and are called in for sono moments later...The clinic’s strengths are: 1. Convenient hours for monitoring 2. Cost - cost of IVF cycle is the same as cost of IUI cycle in other practices 3. Treatment plans are truly based on the patient 4. Clinic is very well organized (everyone is on the same page) 5. Easy access to doctors 6. Clear and concise treatment plan and instructions 7. Facility is clean and well maintained 8. All parts of the treatment, from consult to embryo transfers are in the same location No weaknesses
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
After being told by a different doctor that we would have to use donor eggs in order to get pregnant, despite me being 33 years old and having gotten pregnant with my 2 other children without a problem, we did more research and found New Hope and Dr. Zhang. During initial consult, Dr. Zhang went over the treatment plan, which was just going with my natural cycles and using Clomid to control timing of ovulation. Dr. Zhang told us we’d be pregnant in 6 months. We went through 6 retrievals with 4 viable embryos. Had the first transfer with a 5day frozen embryo and got a BFP! I am now 33 weeks along with a baby girl and have 3 more embryos on ice. I call Dr. Zhang our miracle worker
Be patient with the treatment plan
Dr. Zhang used Clomid with me for all of the cycles
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
All of the nursing staff were very friendly, compassionate and responsive to questions and concerns
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Monitoring hours are 7am-1 or 2pm. Was in and out every time I went in. You get the blood work done, go back into the waiting area and are called in for sono moments later
The cost can’t be beat. Cost of an IVF cycle with Dr. Zhang is close to cost of IUI cycle at other practices
Dr. Zhang recommended a single 5day embryo transfer and that is what we did.
New Hope Fertility Center
my protocol for egg retrieval [with Dr. Zaher Merhi] I was on gonal f, cetrotide, and clomid the two weeks leading up to my retrieval (all low doses)...always explained the process clearly and compassionately. He listened to my questions and answered them with care and thoughtfulness. Any time I wanted to see him he made time for me. He was kind and gentle with his delivery of all types of news...When monitoring you may not see him as often, but he is still absolutely pouring over the data and making smart decisions based on what he sees. Trust his judgement.
The nurses [at New Hope Fertility] were incredible. Responsive, thoughtful, and detailed in responses. The nurses drawing blood in the lab were the best I’ve ever worked with. Now when I get blood drawn elsewhere I realize how truly special they were...Monitoring hours were a little tricky for me because I had to be at work by 8:00 am as a teacher. However, if I arrived around 6:45 I was never late to work and ready to leave the clinic by 7:40.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Merhi was always so kind and encouraging. Even when I got news that wasn’t so great (when I learned of my low AMH, failed iuis, etc) he presented information clearly but when a gentleness that made me feel like he always cared deeply about our goals of growing our family. When our transfer worked he shared in our joy and excitement.
Do not feel the need to interpret every test result- Dr. Merhi will let you know if levels are abnormal or of concern. When monitoring you may not see him as often, but he is still absolutely pouring over the data and making smart decisions based on what he sees. Trust his judgement.
Dr. Merhi always explained the process clearly and compassionately. He listened to my questions and answered them with care and thoughtfulness. Any time I wanted to see him he made time for me. He was kind and gentle with his delivery of all types of news.
In my protocol for egg retrieval I was on gonal f, cetrotide, and clomid the two weeks leading up to my retrieval (all low doses). For my transfer I followed the procedure with taking estradiol orally and suppositories of progesterone.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The nurses were incredible. Responsive, thoughtful, and detailed in responses. The nurses drawing blood in the lab were the best I’ve ever worked with. Now when I get blood drawn elsewhere I realize how truly special they were.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
This clinic runs like a well oiled machine. It is organized, sparkling clean, and incredible accessible to patients. The downside is that sometimes it is so busy it can be overwhelming. I would tell new patients not to be intimidated but the wait screen or sheer volume of patients. Expect waits that are not terribly long, but be prepared to make exceptions sometimes. If you go early in the morning you can turn around within 30-45 min.
We’ve paid under 3,000 in total for both the egg retrieval and transfers.
New Hope Fertility Center
I wanted twins but again Dr Zang wanted me to be a mother and focus on that by only putting one in. The risks are too high with 2 and he made sure to give me the pro and cons of it...He’s forward thinking and has the capacity to show empathy but also be truthful and weight out all options with you. He’s a man who doesn’t work on taking your money but giving you the results you both desire. A baby. I have nothing but praise and awe for Dr Zang. He is the future of IVF.
[New Hope Fertility Center is] Clean and comfortable. Its also great at not letting you wait too long for scans, bloods and results. I think a new patient should be ready to have several doctors see you as well as nurses. The care is brilliant but if you are looking for a clinic that will designate you one nurse and one doctor, then this is not the place for you. However every doctor at NH is exceptional and very experienced so you won’t mind if you end up seeing most of them.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr Zang is a realistic Dr. He’s forward thinking and has the capacity to show empathy but also be truthful and weight out all options with you. He’s a man who doesn’t work on taking your money but giving you the results you both desire. A baby. I have nothing but praise and awe for Dr Zang. He is the future of IVF.
Be prepared to hear what you may not want to hear. Dr Zang is a realistic and will only help you and give you solutions he can deliver. Not everyone wants to hear the truth but Dr Zang is about delivering just that.
The care and attention was phenomenal. Everyone was realistic and caring. I’m so thankful that we choose NH fertility
Mini no invasive cycles. Small doses of drugs. Dr Zang is about quality not quantity of egg reterivels.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Wonderful all of them. So much so i was scared to leave the clinic as i was sure other nurses wouldn't be so kind
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The costs are not cheap but get the results you require.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
My medication was not sent quick enough so I had to chase.
New Hope Fertility Center
Dr. Merhi was very patient and understanding of my circumstance and ultimately what I had gone through and what I was planning to endure to have a baby. He shared different information with me and had a sense of enthusiasm to work along with me, which encouraged me even more. I would have like to have had more one-on-one time through-out my journey...I underwent a mini-IVF, which we utilized letrozole, Chlomid, and injectable hormones prior to the egg retrieval. After the retrieval I was placed on a low dosage of Estradiol and progesterone.
My overall experience [at New Hope Fertility Center] was great and I do not really have any complaints. From the setting to the ambiance to the service to the state of the art equipment, I was really impressed and pleased. I would not change anything about the clinic. I do not see any weaknesses as of today...The nurses and doctors were quick and thorough with their responses, which allowed me to not stress about the process...
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
You may not get enough one-on-one time
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Joanna Tudisco)
98% of the nurses were extremely helpful and responsive to my questions and concerns especially after my egg retrieval and embryo transfer. Joanna Tudisco by far was the most accommodating and thoughtful nurse when I emailed her over 5/6 different times concerning my bloating. The team as a whole is one of the best and I would surely recommend them to my friend/family member.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
My overall experience was great and I do not really have any complaints. From the setting to the ambiance to the service to the state of the art equipment, I was really impressed and pleased. I would not change anything about the clinic. I do not see any weaknesses as of today.
No Comment
My costs equated to approximately 5K between doctor visits, actual IVF, medications, and copays
No comment
New Hope Fertility Center

I had positive and negative experiences with the nursing staff. Most communication is via email and it was hard to get an actual nurse on the phone to provide clinical advice....We are grateful to New Hope because it is the one clinic where we got a a healthy Embryo and did a successful transfer. That being said, there was far less interaction with doctors than at other clinics and much more with ultrasound technicians and nurses via email.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Merhi was very hopeful when we met him even though we’d had five failed cycles with two other doctors. We were surprised by his optimism but what won our trust was that he told us what he thought hadn’t worked in previous cycles. He had a completely different philosophy about medications. He felt I’d been given far too much medication and claimed he would not use one very standard medication that I’d been given in 5 other cycles.
He is very trustworthy and truly cares.
Dr. Merhi was extremely warm and attentive with us whenever we saw him.