4 Columbus Circle

I was switched over to Dr. Liu last minute and he knew nothing about it me and it was apparent....I felt rushed, the service was very generic. There was uncertainty particularly with when I was ready for the implant. He was rushed and I never had the assurance I needed. He was passed over to me in a very dismissive way and his accent was so strong at times, I would have to ask him to email me as I could not fully understand.
The office [New Hope] itself operates like a well oiled machine. There was no consistency with nurse staff. I was passed around and couldn't depend on any one person to answer my email etc...New Hope is a clean, well run office. The Mini IVF approach works for those that want a low stimulation that mirrors most natural cycle. Communication is what this office lacks as there were a few disconnects in our journey. Most of the challenges were in the implant stage vs retrieval.
How was your experience with Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
Ask for Dr. Zang instead.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zang was my original doctor I had received consultation and during the retrieval process. I was switched over to Dr. Liu last minute and he knew nothing about it me and it was apparent.
Describe the protocols Zitao Liu used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Mini IVF that included estradiol pills daily and follistim injections. Ovidrel was used to stimulate the final follicle(s) maturation and to initiate the trigger before Egg Retrieval.There was consistent blood work done at their facilities.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The office itself operates like a well oiled machine. There was no consistency with nurse staff. I was passed around and couldn't depend on any one person to answer my email etc.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
monitoring appointments themselves were easy but the communication disconnect came into play when determining my lining was Ok to move forward with implant.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center.
Dont recall all the costs but the biggest thing to consider is that its $200 per lab appointment. You can pay $800 a month for unlimited. This was what we hadnt planned would be most expensive as they constantly had me come in to determine whether my levels and lining was ready for implant. Took too long and too much money.
Describe Zitao Liu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
Dr. Zhang whom presented himself as handling everything only to later pass me on to Dr. Lui explained that he felt confident that this Mini IVF would yield about 4 eggs. He suggested I run PGS genetic testing to ensure only the best embryos are selected. 4 were actually retrieved and 2 passed PGS. New Hope was opposed to having implant both at the same time but we went ahead with implanting both (5 day/PGS tested) embryos at once.
Zitao Liu
New Hope Fertility Center

After my initial consultation I never saw the doctor [Dr. John Zhang] again...I am a very versed patient and he was my first RE, I was 35 and he tried to talk to me I’m a condescending way. All the other RE’s I have seen since were 100 times better at all medical conversations...He recommended mini IVF for me due to high FSH. They never even tested my AMH which was so weird, but I did 2 out cycles with him and he did clomid ok both. I saw a technician for follicle scans and they couldn’t talk to you and a different doctor for both iui procedures.
The waiting room [at New Hope] was a zoo and wait times even with an appointment were crazy. None of the receptionists or nurses knew me...when they tried to move me onto IVF I ran for my life. At the consult they explained how anesthesia wasn’t covered by insurance but also totally unnecessary and not recommended for egg retrieval and I thought that sounded crazy. Never stuck around to experience that...One nurse helped me with a trigger before the procedure because I became overwhelmed by the fact that they told me to do it but no one ever showed me how and I was standing in the office and actually started to cry because it was like being 100% alone yet surrounded by medical professional. .
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
I felt Dr. Zhang was very arrogant in comparison to all the RE’s I have seen. I am a very versed patient and he was my first RE, I was 35 and he tried to talk to me I’m a condescending way. All the other RE’s I have seen since were 100 times better at all medical conversations. I just couldn’t get out of there quicker. I knew there had to be better doctors and better experiences and luckily when they tried to move me onto IVF I ran for my life. At the consult they explained how anesthesia wasn’t covered by insurance but also totally unnecessary and not recommended for egg retrieval and I thought that sounded crazy. Never stuck around to experience that.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Demand better and more personalized care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
After my initial consultation I never saw the doctor again. The waiting room was a zoo and wait times even with an appointment were crazy. None of the receptionists or nurses knew me.
Describe the protocols John Zhang used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
He recommended mini IVF for me due to high FSH. They never even tested my AMH which was so weird, but I did 2 out cycles with him and he did clomid ok both. I saw a technician for follicle scans and they couldn’t talk to you and a different doctor for both iui procedures. One nurse helped me with a trigger before the procedure because I became overwhelmed by the fact that they told me to do it but no one ever showed me how and I was standing in the office and actually started to cry because it was like being 100% alone yet surrounded by medical professional. .
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
This one. It’s did help me once when I began to cry because no one would tell me what to do with the needle the handed me and told me to give myself for trigger. She was so sweet. All the other nurses seemed cold
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
They overbook so expect to wait a very very long time for iui procedures and other procedures. I can’t think of any strengths I was very unhappy at this clinic. They do have a communication portal but it was always someone new that I was talking with which felt very odd and impersonal. After 2 failed iui’s the random doctor who was there that day just asked if I wanted to skip the 3rd iui and just move onto IVF and I was like, yeah actually I do but I am 100% not doing IVF here. It seemed so weird how casually it was mentioned. Pretty traumatizing for a newbie. Now that I’m an IVF veteran I have no problem with a doctor speaking so bluntly but it wasn’t even my doctor!! And he was making that decision for me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
The communication was generally very bad at this clinic. I had to really fight for instructions and information and track down nurses.
New Hope Fertility Center
Dr. Zhang seemed to be sufficiently attentive, and receptive to my concerns (whether age, costs, immune issues etc). I actually think his idea of minimal stimulation works well for older women...I became worried by the end that they do not monitor closely enough and I think they don't. It might make sense to come a bit more frequently, especially in the beginning of the cycle, so they adjust the drugs better.
about 4K per retrieval + meds...Good location, easy monitoring, lighter protocol -- which i think is still effective. I liked many of the nurses, embryologists. Sometimes, nurses don't get back to you, or seem to be not be very knowledgeable or experienced -- that is troublesome, as it adds to stress...I became worried by the end that they do not monitor closely enough and I think they don't. It might make sense to come a bit more frequently, especially in the beginning of the cycle, so they adjust the drugs better.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zhang seemed compassionate and willing to be relatively flexible (immune issues etc). I felt somewhat stressed though, when asking for help to make a decision, he would not quite help saying it's an elective procedure...
He uses minimal stimulation estrase/chlomid/femara/fsh/ganorelix
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Most of the nurses are very good and compassionate. However i had problems with nurses, 1) they would not give me clear answer about medication/consequences -- as a result i had unexpected reaction etc; 2) one of the nurses, who does not seem to work there any longer, advised me not to take a pain relief medication before procedure -- i came into the office for prescription. As a result i suffered great pain during a procedure and after the procedure, for about a year various pelvic floor problems
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
they have very wide monitoring window, so it is very convenient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center.
about 4K per retrieval + meds
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
I was giving conflicting information about timing, ovulation, pain relief etc...
2014 - 2015, Successful
Embryo Freezing
While I had limited time with Dr.Zhang, he spoke with me cordially and exuded a confidence about my treatment and prognosis for success. He seemed to genuinely care that I was successful...He's a fabulous doctorfor difficult cases, mini IVF or other unique circumstances. He doesn't turn people away...Dr Zhang was knowledgeable and confident in his ability to help me get pregnant, but there was a language barrier that made communication challenging at times. I was part of a clinical study and most of my communication came through the coordinator.
The clinic had a comfortable, relaxing setting. It felt like a spa. The embryologist were amazing and I loved Dr. Zhang's positivity. It made my treatments feel less stressful. However, the billing department was an absolute nightmare. I have never seen such incompetence in any clinical setting in my life. I left the clinic solely because of the billing department...They wouldn't provide me with a summary of charges, just told me I owed money with no explanation. I was charged multiple times for the same thing, it took several phone calls to resolve issues. It was next to impossible to reach anyone and they wouldn't return calls.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
He's a fabulous doctorfor difficult cases, mini IVF or other unique circumstances. He doesn't turn people away. And I was confident in his ability to help me achieve my goal of pregnancy
Mini IVF with FET for first transfer, and FET for second transfer. Both were SETs.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Very busy, not particularly empathetic, and hurried with relaying information. Still kind and professional though.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Second FET was approximately $3500 with additional $200 per appointment, plus meds. None were covered under insurance. First FET was part of a clinical study and I only paid for meds - appropriately $1500.
Describe John Zhang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
Dr. Zhang was very clear on his preference for SETs, citing his "one good egg" philosophy. I was fine with that, and understood the research behind that approach.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
The billing department was a nightmare. They wouldn't provide me with a summary of charges, just told me I owed money with no explanation. I was charged multiple times for the same thing, it took several phone calls to resolve issues. It was next to impossible to reach anyone and they wouldn't return calls. If I wanted help I needed to go in person and wait. Additionally, when I had my chemical pregnancy, they failed to inform me of my results by phone as requested, and I found out via email. Finally, it took nearly a half dozen calls over almost a month to have my records sent to my new clinic.
2015, Successful
What I loved is he [Dr. Zhang] followed my natural cycle and we didn't force anything. ... He is a loud man with a sharp tone. Nice but you can tell he deals with a lot of people and probably comes off a bit harsh to some more sensitive or insecure types. ... Honestly, he's not soft or snuggly type - but he means well, he's got a good setup, he's got a good idea of what to do, and he's willing to try something different that fits. He's a bit of an out of the box thinker and I liked it.
Strength: is the variety of options for different people. It's [New Hope Fertility Center] not a one size fits all solution. The fact everything you need for the procedure is ON SITE is really a profound difference from other clinics I visited. Everyone understood what needed to be done and while it wasn't perfect, there was a structure and if you can deal with that then you'll be fine. Weakness: poor financial coordination and communication that end.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
He is a loud man with a sharp tone. Nice but you can tell he deals with a lot of people and probably comes off a bit harsh to some more sensitive or insecure types. I liked him. He appreciated my sense of humor and would laugh - loudly and sharply and then I would laugh because he laugh was so direct and funny. Honestly, he's not soft or snuggly type - but he means well, he's got a good setup, he's got a good idea of what to do, and he's willing to try something different that fits. He's a bit of an out of the box thinker and I liked it.
I would say - just relax and ask questions. If he seems hurried or distracted (because he does have a lot of patience) it's OK. He'll take the time. Also, don't expect one doctor to solve all your problems, this is something you need to take control of yourself and get educated. What you want is a good treatment and good caring team. He's got so many ways to get you want you need, tell him your concerns and listen to him. I did seriously the most non-aggressive treatment and it worked for me. He listened to my problems with hormones and the fact I don't take the pill because of it and didn't make me do the intense treatment. That was MY choice and he went with it and gave me options. It may not be an option for everyone, but I met with 5 other doctors and he was the ONLY one willing to think out of the box and offer different cycle treatments. I love how he puts focus on one good egg, not a bunch of bad ones... that is all that matters in the end. One good egg can come from just three oocytes. Remember that.
Well, while some people didn't like how the clinic was set up (very structured) I found it calming. I always knew where I was in the process, everything was on site so there was no waiting for blood results, the nurses were freaking awesome and always used butterfly tiny needles to make it less painful, the women were always nice. The only drawback was sometimes I couldn't get through to the financial people. I mean, it's a clinic - not a hotel... but it went above my expectations with one disappointment when I told the Dr not to put me on the pill (hormones) and he did AND it was the only cycle that didn't work at all. Had they listened to me, the patient I could have had more eggs. It was stressful and it's hard and the waiting is not easy, but it is what it is.
I can't remember the dosage, but I took Clomid and did a trigger shot and that was it. What I loved is he followed my natural cycle and we didn't force anything. We would take my blood about 10 times a month to follow my cycle and after the first time, we learned what it was fairly easy. By the 4th retrieval, it was easy. The goal was to do multiple retrievals instead of one big one with lots of eggs and stay with my natural cycle. I could have probably done a few more, but I stopped at 4 due to cost. The Clomid made it so I had some extra unfertilized eggs under my natural cycle, as my blood tests came back and I got closer to the ovulation date he would set a date and I'd do a trigger shot the night before and go in for retrieval at a specific time the next day. I got 3 unfertilized eggs each treatment, for a total of 12, only 3 of the twelve made it to DAY 5 and then we had genetic testing and of the 3, ONE was good. And we now have a really beautiful, super healthy boy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The nurses varied from day to day, but all of them were nice and helpful. Some got me in on days that were difficult.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Strength: is the variety of options for different people. It's not a one size fits all solution. The fact everything you need for the procedure is ON SITE is really a profound difference from other clinics I visited. Everyone understood what needed to be done and while it wasn't perfect, there was a structure and if you can deal with that then you'll be fine. Weakness: poor financial coordination and communication that end. It was always hard to understand what I needed or if a payment wasn't made or when it wasn't made - what to do to help it go faster once paid. I got a feeling the ladies in the department were overwhelmed.
I barely remember this now... but I think it was $18K total for all 4 retrievals and the transfer And then an additional for the genetic tests... $2500?
He preferred one good egg for me, but I don't know what he preferred for others. Honestly, if I had more than one egg and demanded more than one be transferred he would have been against it but if I insisted would have listened to me, that's the feeling I get.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
I made it clear I did not want to go on estrogen or "the pill" as I have adverse reactions. They ordered it for me and told me to go on it. That cycle failed. I had to cry a bit and make a fuss to get them to listen. A little embarrassed about it now, but looking back I did what I needed to do.

2014 - 2015, Successful
Very cerebral approach- not a hand holder but able to produce results- differentiated process from other big treatment places in NYC... Go here if you have an aversion to over medication or if you want to try a less aggressive IVF approach
Go here if you have an aversion to over medication or if you want to try a less aggressive IVF approach. [The nursing staff was] compassionate, responsive and personable. They all knew my name, story etc. loved them all.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Very cerebral approach- not a hand holder but able to produce results- differentiated process from other big treatment places in nyc
Go here if you have an aversion to over medication or if you want to try a less aggressive ivf approach
They spent a good deal of time with me during the appointments and during follow up calls and emails I never waited very long to be seen.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Compassionate, responsive and personable. They all knew my name, story etc. loved them all.
You sign in on a computer when you arrive- very pleasant room with nice music lots of light snacks etc always was seen fairly quickly less than 20 mins typically

2014, Successful
Investment Banker
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
My boyfriend and I arrived at Dr. Zhang's office armed with files from my three prior cycles (2 egg freezing, 1 embryo freezing) as well as notes we had taken from consultations with four other reproductive endocrinologists. Dr. Zhang seemed distracted - he jumped from his computer screen to our faces and glanced through my files. When he discussed his proposed approach, its tailored nature made it clear that he in fact had absorbed everything in my files and what I had told him. He had a hypothesis on how to optimize my cycle to increase the number of mature eggs as a percentage of eggs retrieved. We decided to give New Hope a go. My mini-IVF cycle yielded more mature eggs than the conventional cycles.
Advocate for yourself. If you have questions, keep calling and asking until you get a response. The nurses are extremely helpful. The office is digitized and nurses provide instructions via email. Email is not a good way to contact the office with questions though - call and keep calling if you aren't getting a response.
New Hope provides a typical big city medical experience. I wouldn't expect Dr. Zhang to recognize me in the waiting room - it's a busy place! His protocol was the most successful one for me, and that matters most to me.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
I got to know the nurses the best at all the fertility clinics. They are very skilled, knowledgable and professional and can answer most questions.
The clinic has monitoring every day from 7am-2pm. You just show up when convenient for you. This was a HUGE benefit in dealing with my work schedule. However, be prepared to wait as long for monitoring as you do at other places (budget an hour if you need bloodwork and ultrasound).
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
Most women at New Hope are veteran IVF'ers - they have come here because results are other places were not optimal or because they are banking. This clinic does not handhold the way other clinics do. You need to stay on top of getting prescriptions filled - if you ask the nurses to call them in, of course they will. I did not have to attend orientation or injection training as at some other centers. The level of service New Hope provided in terms of what to expect and protocol was fine for me given.

2014, Unsuccessful
Dr. Zhang and New Hope Fertility was the worst medical experience of my life. You wait endlessly. There's no compassion from the staff. They continually forgot about my medical conditions....Poor communicator. Zero compassion...When I did not respond to the trigger shot, no one called to tell me this, so one cycle was essentially ruined. There is zero communication, which if you have a complicated case can be extremely dangerous.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Poor communicator. Zero compassion.
Don't go.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The clinic seems organized despite all of the other failures of New Hope.
2013, Successful
We only met and saw him [Dr. Zhang] for the initial consult. Everything else was done by nurses and other doctors. It's very clear he's a genius and we did t run into any setbacks so didn't really need to follow up with him. We were extremely lucky though and not sure how reachable he was if we needed him.
I had insanely generous Cigna insurance which New Hope accepted. Again - we were very lucky. Will never see insurance like that again....Nurses were great and skilled at blood draws. I have tough veins and they were good.... Our biggest challenge with the clinic was calling off hours to get info. Sometimes the nurse would leave a voicemail with instructions that I'd have questions about and it was seemingly impossible to get anyone live on the phone. Very stressful at times
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
We only met and saw him for the initial consult. Everything else was done by nurses and other doctors. It's very clear he's a genius and we did t run into any setbacks so didn't really need to follow up with him. We were extremely lucky though and not sure how reachable he was if we needed him.
Ask all your questions up front, do your research and come prepared.
We had success on our first try so hard to complain about anything but our biggest challenge with the clinic was calling off hours to get info. Sometimes the nurse would leave a voicemail with instructions that I'd have questions about and it was seemingly impossible to get anyone live on the phone. Very stressful at times
We did natural cycle IVF - no hormones, just the nasal spray trigger shot and a shot upon egg transfer. Rest was blood work and scans. Didn't use anesthesia for egg retrieval or live egg transfer. We did it all in same cycle, worked first time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Don't remember name but she was great)
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
It's a very organized, top notch, modern, Has latest technology (I watched on giant flat screen tv when they took egg out of me and again when they put it back in). Truly amazing. I trust these guys.
A bit of a cattle call - busy at early morning (pre-work) hours and lunchtime
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
I underwent natural cycle IVF and did not want any drugs / hormones. I went to Florida and when I landed, nurse left me a voicemail on my cell saying to start my hormone meds ASAP and that they wanted to call in a prescription for me. Was like WTF and called for 3 hours, leaving multiple messages for someone to call me on a Sat morning and couldn't get anyone to return my message. Eventually found someone about 5 hours later who verified that I didn't need to take anything.

2013, Successful
She [Dr. Luk] is a very good doctor and she took her time to explain everything to us. She not only shared the clinical aspects of the procedure but took the time to make sure we were feeling ok with the abundance of information. I didn’t feel pressured to make any decision and felt completely comfortable with the choices that we did make. She was excited for our success, which showed at every visit and ultrasound.
At the time of treatment Dr. Luk was actually working at a different clinic. She was part of New Hope Fertility and I had a great experience there. They were great at communication about all the test results and ultrasounds. The nurses and staff were friendly and polite which makes a big difference.... I didn’t feel pressured to make any decision and felt completely comfortable with the choices that we did make.
How was your experience with Janelle Luk at New Hope Fertility Center?
She is a very good doctor and she took her time to explain everything to us. She not only shared the clinical aspects of the procedure but took the time to make sure we were feeling ok with the abundance of information. I didn’t feel pressured to make any decision and felt completely comfortable with the choices that we did make. She was excited for our success, which showed at every visit and ultrasound.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janelle Luk at New Hope Fertility Center?
Ask whatever questions or concerns you have and she will give you an honest answer.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janelle Luk at New Hope Fertility Center?
She took her time to explain all the options we had, told me the options she would choose and shared personal stories of her own pregnancy.
Janelle Luk

2006 - 2012, Successful
Investment Banker
[Dr. John Zhang was] Very compasionate and caring Really wanted the treatment to work. Help me accomplish my dream of motherhood! Gave me free medications when I was unable to pay for it myself. I would really like to go back and try for baby number 2... The doctor and staff walk you to the entire process and helps you choose the best course of treatment...I was very happy with my doctor
[The nurses at New Hope Fertility Center were] Very nice and professional Made me feel very comfortable every time I had an appointment...He suggested only 2 [embryos] at the time...Very centrally located. Easy to find, friendly staff. Compassionate care, the cost of treatment is competitive and producing the best results. The doctor and staff walk you to the entire process and helps you choose the best course of treatment
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Listen to what he says. I know from personal experience that we don't want to hear the word no or it may take time, but the journey is long and you need to be prepared to deal with the setbacks
I was able to use donated medications after I was unable to pay for it myself. So grateful for all the support provided!
It was a long time ago, very I know for a fact I was very happy with my doctor
It was around 12-15,000
He suggested only 2at the time

2012, Unsuccessful
He has a very specific theory -- low dose meds for only retrieving a few eggs (what they say are "the best" eggs). May be a good place for poor responders... Find out your numbers (AMH, FSH) before deciding whether New Hope is for you because they won't deviate from their protocol.
He [Dr. Zhang] has a very specific theory -- low dose meds for only retrieving a few eggs (what they say are "the best" eggs). May be a good place for poor responders... Find out your numbers (AMH, FSH) before deciding whether New Hope is for you because they won't deviate from their protocol.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
He doesn't speak English very well. And is very blunt nonetheless. He has a very specific theory -- low dose meds for only retrieving a few eggs (what they say are "the best" eggs). May be a good place for poor responders.
bedside manner, eh.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
very busy never had same nurse.