6.2
6.2

4 Columbus Circle

[Dr. Makarov] Seemed in a rush to get us to IVF and wanted us to fail everything until that point. Ignored my issues with a short luteal phase; always too busy to answer questions. Would leave us waiting in a room only to later find out she forgot all about us and our appointment was over... We did an IUI without an medication and then one with. We paid out of pocket. She wanted us to fail so we would move on to IVF. They never diagnosed us with anything.
The worst finance department I’ve ever encountered. Very unorganized and unprofessional. Also the lab messed up our charts. It was a terrible experience and I’d never recommend New Hope to anyone. I was so distraught after this experience that I had to take a break from trying to get pregnant... [Dr. Makarov] Seemed in a rush to get us to IVF and wanted us to fail everything until that point. Ignored my issues with a short luteal phase;
How was your experience with Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center?
Don’t leave the room until you have all your questions answered. Request some medicated cycles first, especially if your insurance doesn’t cover IUI
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center?
Mixed up our blood work. Didn’t seem to understand my history
Describe the protocols Jennifer Kulp Makarov used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
It was ridiculous! We did an IUI without an medication and then one with. We paid out of pocket. She wanted us to fail so we would move on to IVF. They never diagnosed us with anything.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Lots of people, they never spoke to us unless it was to tell us to hurry to the next room
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center.
IUIs were $800
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
They messed up at every step
Jennifer Kulp Makarov
New Hope Fertility Center
She [Dr. Lipkin] was very compassionate. I trusted that she was able to review past treatment files and understood why I might have changed facilities. I trusted the facility as it was referred to me by a friend but I also appreciated that they worked with woman over forty.... She wanted to go about with a mini IVF cycle- she told me that she preferred to get less eggs upon retrieval but with a better chance to get healthier eggs.
The clinic [New Hope Fertility] is very large- lots of available times and you would never need to wait longer then 10-15 minutes. I really don't have any weaknesses other than they were not able to retrieve a healthy embryo as of yet... [nursing staff] I had a very hard time finding my veins. they were excellent and patient.... She [Dr. Lipkin] wanted to go about with a mini IVF cycle- she told me that she preferred to get less eggs upon retrieval but with a better chance to get healthier eggs.
How was your experience with Lana Lipkin at New Hope Fertility Center?
She was very compassionate. I trusted that she was able to review past treatment files and understood why I might have changed facilities. I trusted the facility as it was referred to me by a friend but I also appreciated that they worked with woman over forty.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lana Lipkin at New Hope Fertility Center?
Be completely open and honest about what you want and what her expectation for you are based on how you present.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lana Lipkin at New Hope Fertility Center?
She explained each step in laymen terms. She was able to repeat things so that i completely understood them and was very empathetic to my feelings.
Describe the protocols Lana Lipkin used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
I had a very hard time finding my veins. they were excellent and patient.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The clinic is very large- lots of available times and you would never need to wait longer then 10-15 minutes. I really don't have any weaknesses other than they were not able to retrieve a healthy embryo as of yet :(
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lana Lipkin at New Hope Fertility Center.
They accepted my insurance
Lana Lipkin
New Hope Fertility Center

I felt like a human because Doctor Zhang and entire staff cared, listened and answered all my questions... He is beyond experienced and knowledgeable in everything he does. He explained things to me that made so much sense and able to understand everything in detail. I put all my trust on him from the first meet...I did the mini ivf. Less medication and better results.
I absolutely loved the entire nursing staff [at New Hope Fertility Center]. Any questions I had (and I had many) they answered it with a smile...Excellent wait time. Even at it's most busiest hour, you are in and out in a timely manner. Clinic is extremely clean. Entire staff is beyond warm and friends. Everybody has a smile on their face. No weaknesses...I felt like a human because Doctor Zhang and entire staff cared, listened and answered all my questions.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zhang is a medical genius. He is beyond experienced and knowledgeable in everything he does. He explained things to me that made so much sense and able to understand everything in detail. I put all my trust on him from the first meet.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Listen!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols John Zhang used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I did the mini ivf. Less medication and better results.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
I absolutely loved the entire nursing staff. Any questions I had (and I had many) they answered it with a smile.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center.
Costs were very economical.
Describe John Zhang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
Yes, 1 embryo.
New Hope Fertility Center

[Dr. Zaher Merhi is] Good at follow up and full of passion. But he seems little pushing us to start 1st cycle even though medication and genetic testing stuff are not ready. He is also super optimistic but i am not sure that was his personality or being realistic.
[New Hope Fertility Center is in a] convenient location, flexible monitoring time, staff are friendly. Weakness are some time they are little careless when it comes to treatment/ medication/ testing. Billing department is so difficulty to communicate...mini ivf total cost $1500 with medication...[Dr. Merhi is] Good at follow up and full of passion. But he seems little pushing us to start 1st cycle even though medication and genetic testing stuff are not ready. He is also super optimistic but i am not sure that was his personality or being realistic.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center.
mini ivf total cost $1500 with medication
New Hope Fertility Center

Dr. Merhi was always attentive and made time to answer all my questions. While monitoring can feel more like a number, I always knew Dr. Merhi was behind my care and available to speak... is a wonderful and caring doctor. He made a very emotional and upsetting process more accessible and lowered my stress. He always made time to explain things, I would wholeheartedly recommend him!
There is a lot of people that go through the clinic [New Hope Fertility Center], so the nurses sometimes got things wrong. You definitely have to stay vigilant about your care at any clinic you go to...The monitor hours at New Hope are really great! I found it really hard in my previous clinic to only have monitoring hours early morning, but New Hope has until 2pm and are usually pretty quick. Don't get thrown off at the New Agey decor, it's a great place, plus great location.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Merhi is a wonderful and caring doctor. He made a very emotional and upsetting process more accessible and lowered my stress. He always made time to explain things, I would wholeheartedly recommend him!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Ask lots of questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
There is a lot of people that go through the clinic, so the nurses sometimes got things wrong. You definitely have to stay vigilant about your care at any clinic you go to.
New Hope Fertility Center
Dr. Merhi was kind, compassionate and very professional​​...is confident and cheerful and I can truly appreciate that feeling of optimism...genuinely interested in the well being of his patient. He has excellent bed side manners. He makes himself available to answer questions and is very reassuring. He also matter of fact and practical...IVF: clomid, letrozol and follistim, followed by Ovidrel as a trigger shot. For the transfer, progesterone suppositories and estrogen pills.
NHFC, is a good clinic...has great facility​ and skilled staff. The place is clean, they provide snacks for you while you wait!...The nursing staff were great and very supportive, but in some cases their email response never happened, a follow-up phone call yielded no response until I went to the clinic...I received an email regarding the embryo transfer from a nurse and I replied for confirmation but I never got a response even with multiple phone call. During the transfer I had to wait for one extra hour to get my embryo ready which could have been avoided had I spoken with a nurse during my multiple phone calls.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Merhi is kind, compassionate and very professional​​. He listens​ to you and proposes​ the best option. Dr. Merhi is confident and cheerful and I can truly appreciate that feeling of optimism. Dr. Merhi, is a very skilled, knowledgable and attentive doctor. He listens to the patient and is not interested in personal results and stats but is genuinely interested in the well being of his patient. He has excellent bed side manners. He makes himself available to answer questions and is very reassuring. He also matter of fact and practical. I am now 13 weeks pregnant, I plan on returning to Dr. Merhi for my second pregnancy.
Follow the instructions and advice from Dr Merhi and the outcome of your expectation will be great as expected
Dr. Merhi was kind, compassionate and very professional​​. He listens​ to you and proposes​ the best option.
Describe the protocols Zaher Merhi used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
NHFC, is a good clinic, in some clinics the success rate is based on multiple attempts. ​The clinic has great facility​ and skilled staff. The place is clean, they provide snacks for you while you wait! I highly recommend this place if your having issues getting pregnant! It's not a easy process but the reward at the end is well worth the fight! Thank you Dr Merhi
I don't have the exact amount but it was expensive even with insurance, For instance genetic screening I paid $100 as my out of pocket cost at my ob/gyn clinic with a group that they work with but at New Hope the clinic was charging over $700
Describe Zaher Merhi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
Dr Merhi had a strong advice for one embryo transfer due to the risk associated with multiple pregnancy but I suggested a multiple pregnancy so that I can finish my child birth sooner. Three embryos were transferred however two succeeded giving my twins
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
I needed a specific amount of embryo transfer. I received an email regarding the embryo transfer from a nurse and I replied for confirmation but I never got a response even with multiple phone call. During the transfer I had to wait for one extra hour to get my embryo ready which could have been avoided had I spoken with a nurse during my multiple phone calls.
New Hope Fertility Center

He [Dr. John Zhang] is straight to business. He's also incredibly intelligent. When we had complex issues with how to create a value proposition to my insurance, he was nuanced and sharp enough to help me do that...Trust the process but if something feels off then ask and ask until you get an answer...didn't say we'll use this protocol or that one (and honestly, I didn't ask) other than mini-IVF...I don't care if I'm a number or a human. I now have a baby. All I care (and cared about) were results. They could do a better job treating me like a human - but it didn't bother me.
They [staff at New Hope Fertility Center] told me the genders of the embryos by mistake when I had asked them not to tell me. I consider this a minor clinical error, but a major moral error...Everybody would wait in line based on clinic arrival time [during monitoring]...spacious, accommodating, great hours. Trust the process. Don't worry about seeing a doctor each time - it will take them away from what they are really good at, which is studying the data to determine the best course of action for your cycle.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
My doctor is the best there is, hands down. He is straight to business. He's also incredibly intelligent. When we had complex issues with how to create a value proposition to my insurance, he was nuanced and sharp enough to help me do that.
Zhang didn't say we'll use this protocol or that one (and honestly, I didn't ask) other than mini-IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
They're great but understaffed.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Great - spacious, accommodating, great hours. Trust the process. Don't worry about seeing a doctor each time - it will take them away from what they are really good at, which is studying the data to determine the best course of action for your cycle.
Everybody would wait in line based on clinic arrival time.
~$20k all in
None
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
They told me the genders of the embryos by mistake when I had asked them not to tell me. I consider this a minor clinical error, but a major moral error.
New Hope Fertility Center

Hes kind and sweet..very empathic and makes you feel like a special patient. As I stated earlier, hes well versed, excellent fertility doctor, with the added empathic and kind delivery mode. As an older woman, he gives you the facts straight, but while still taking care of my emotional state.
I have been at NHFC for a few years..first egg freezing mini ivf then fertilizing my frozen eggs. Dr Zhang is more blunt and honest and well versed in the science.. but he could work in softening the delivery. I like that he doesnt sugar coat bc i trust him. Dr Liu is well just better at delivery, more empathic to what we are going through as older women. He makes me feel like a woman in his family and that makes me feel hopeful-while hes still remaining very honest. Hes a gentle soul.
How was your experience with Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
hes kind and sweet..very empathic and makes you feel like a special patient. As I stated earlier, hes well versed, excellent fertility doctor, with the added empathic and kind delivery mode. As an older woman, he gives you the facts straight, but while still taking care of my emotional state.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
listen carefully,,he has an accent so speaks slower..
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Zitao Liu used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
mini ivf, luteal phase, as this is what my body reacts to better. I have had several rounds of mini IVF and egg freezing..20 eggs fertlized with donor sperm, made 7 embryos, of which 4 were mosaic, and 1 embryo which remains untested.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
great professional women. i like them-but they could be a bit better at talking a bit more with patients. But i guess since the place is always busy they dont have much chit chat time
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Strengths-their bread and butter is women over 40 and difficult cases. It has excellent flexible monitoring times 7 am-2 pm-perfect for the working woman! Large welcoming space. Weaknesses-they are getting quite big and heavy traffic. Maybe add more doctors..Maybe also facilitate a way for existing patients to have a forum to meet up and discuss (through their own volition) their issues to know they are not alone
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center.
moderate...$2000 for extraction and $800 for monitoring (when not covered by insurance) $1000 freezing, $1000 fertilizing
Zitao Liu
New Hope Fertility Center

They [New Hope] have really flexible hours for monitoring, between 7am-2pm, which is amazing compared to many other clinics. The retrievals/transfers are also done in the same facility so you dont have to pay an extra hospital fee of $1005 like over at Cornell and NYP. Hated the billing department! Took them 4 months to correct an insurance payment and apply the credit to my account...I believe dr zhang is very knowledgable in his field. But he is not for someone that wants a gentle bedside manner. He is to the point and will show you charts/graphs demonstrating where you land on % of success based on your age range. The only times I met with him was for the first consult and then at the end of the cycle for follow-ups. The clinic did mention that if I wanted to speak with him, that I should arrive in the office between 7-9am, otherwise the rest of his day is booked with new patient consults. It was also other drs that performed my retrievals. I had wondered if Dr Zhang was the one that was monitoring my ccle progress and adjusting dosage instructions, or if it were other doctors reviewing my case.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Ask all your questions, be straightforward, dont expect hand-holding
The nurses and techs working in the clinic were always professional and courteous. I understood the dr was very busy as the clinic was always quite busy and crowded, but I would have liked more face time with the dr since most emails and correspondence on next steps were always from nurses.
Mild IVF - started with estrace priming, then clomid, letrozole pills, and follistim injections starting at 75iu. Continued with a mix of clomid and letrozole pills, and varying dosages of follistim(from 75-150iu) up until lupron trigger and then retrieval
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Nurses were very friendly and helpful in clinic, but were a little slower in response via email. One time they emailed me regarding medication dosage and I replied back to them and needed another refill and did not hear back until the next day, which was a problem because I needed the medications the night before
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Strenth: everything is done in house so blood results and sonos are quick. They have really flexible hours for monitoring, between 7am-2pm, which is amazing compared to many other clinics. The retrievals/transfers are also done in the same facility so you dont have to pay an extra hospital fee of $1005 like over at Cornell and NYP. Hated the billing department! Took them 4 months to correct an insurance payment and apply the credit to my account.
The clinic had monitors on the walls that called your name up when it was your turn to get blood drawn or to go inside the the sonogram. I appreciated this aspect of their monitoring system, instead of relying on someone calling out my name. I was able to go to the appropriate station as I saw my name come up
I did not have insurance coverage so it was put of pocket. Mild ivf cost about$6,000 which included cost of medications. Luteal Phase retrieval cost $250. And PGS for one embryo clst $750
New Hope Fertility Center

I had hardly any face time with the doctor [Dr. Zhang] and was never given any explanation of my test results or prognosis...Dr. Zhang seemed disinterested in patient relations and had a formulaic approach to treatment planning...doctor missed one egg so had to bring me back from the recovery area and repeat the procedure...I did not have an AMH test, which would have helped me decide whether to proceed to IVF using my own eggs. I was also advised to do an egg retrieval (for $4,000) for just one egg.
The clinic [New Hope] itself is pleasant enough except the waiting area has a very strong perfume/air freshener that was hard to tolerate. Strength: everything is on site. Weaknesses: One size fits all treatment model, lack of transparency, genetic screening is not thorough, there is no personal attention, treatment is dragged out over many many weeks unnecessarily...One nurse, Gina, was quite attentive and compassionate. The rest were somewhat robotic.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zhang seemed disinterested in patient relations and had a formulaic approach to treatment planning. It was my first time seeking treatment and I didn't know what questions to ask. I took for granted that I would be directed toward the best course of treatment and unfortunately trusted his judgment. When I did ask questions based on my own research, responses from Dr. Zhang and most staff were often vague or evaded altogether. For example, I did not have an AMH test, which would have helped me decide whether to proceed to IVF using my own eggs. I was also advised to do an egg retrieval (for $4,000) for just one egg. When I asked questions about both of these things I was given either no answer or confusing information that left me feeling like I was worrying for no reason because this was how fertility treatment worked. When I switched to a different clinic I was advised that an egg retrieval for less than 6 eggs is not worthwhile. I was also told that the genetic testing I did at New Hope (for $200) only tested for 5 markers instead of the recommended 281 markers so I had to repeat it. At the new clinic I had an AMH test and an HSG (New Hope did not inform me about either of these tests) and was quickly able to make an informed decision about my next step.
I would not recommend this doctor.
I had hardly any face time with the doctor and was never given any explanation of my test results or prognosis.
Two months on BC pills with weekly monitoring (waste of time and money). Clomid and Femara. Lupron injection.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The clinic itself is pleasant enough except the waiting area has a very strong perfume/air freshener that was hard to tolerate. Strength: everything is on site. Weaknesses: One size fits all treatment model, lack of transparency, genetic screening is not thorough, there is no personal attention, treatment is dragged out over many many weeks unnecessarily.
Relatively fast and simple.
Genetic screening $199 (useless), monitoring flat monthly fee of $800, egg retrieval $4,000 (even one egg)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
Egg retrieval- doctor missed one egg so had to bring me back from the recovery area and repeat the procedure, which was quite painful. Afterward I was left alone in a chair until I felt ok to leave. There was no nurse monitoring me, which was unfortunate because I felt quite ill after having the second retrieval.
New Hope Fertility Center

Dr. Zhang, was very upfront and blunt about what my expectations should be, in some ways, I as a patient appreciate that. He is very focused on his research side of his practice...After the first appointment with Dr. Zhang, I was basically put on auto-track for the 3 cycles I did with NHF. Never was there a change discussed after any cycle or summary/thoughts... I sought NHF because of there mini-IVF protocols for patients with PCOS
NHF's strength is their efficiency, you are not waiting for blood work-ultrasound more than 30mins ever, results from that days monitoring is emailed, with all vital information and instructions within 2 hrs of leaving the clinic...The weakness is the lack of contact with any direct person, you are talking to various nurses, doctors, and admin-financial staff....At one point my payment was put on someone else's account...
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zhang, was very upfront and blunt about what my expectations should be, in some ways, I as a patient appreciate that. He is very focused on his research side of his practice, that I think he is too busy to really be focused on the everyday goings on in his clinic.
Be prepared for a very academic discussion, and don't expect any type of handholding. There is very little direct communication with this doctor, the rest of the team will be your main contacts.
After the first appointment with Dr. Zhang, I was basically put on auto-track for the 3 cycles I did with NHF. Never was there a change discussed after any cycle or summary/thoughts, unless I asked to do something different. The office is very streamlined, and efficient, so much so, there is a lack of personal interaction. Also, I had had a bad experience with the staff from my first clinic, without any thoughts to my feelings a doctor that treated me from that clinic should up at an egg retrieval at this clinic, since this procedure is timed, I felt I had no choice but to allow him to do the retrieval. I almost did not go back for the next cycle I was so distraught.
Because I had had several cysts with my first doctor, I sought NHF because of there mini-IVF protocols for patients with PCOS. I did 3 late luteal phase mini-ivf cycles using letrozole, clomid, and gonal-f, with lupron after the first retrieval to allow for a second retrieval in one cycle. The rationale was that we could stimulate the lagging follicles to get more eggs per cycle. I was able to get two embryos during the first 2 cycles, they were sent out for PGS testing and came back abnormal and per the labs protocols, they were discarded.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The nurses were all very pleasant and all had good beside manners. However, because you are not assigned to a particular nurse, there is no one to directly to talk to if an issue arises.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
NHF's strength is their efficiency, you are not waiting for blood work-ultrasound more than 30mins ever, results from that days monitoring is emailed, with all vital information and instructions within 2 hrs of leaving the clinic. The cost for mini-ivf is great if you have the time to go slow, (ie younger patients). The weakness is the lack of contact with any direct person, you are talking to various nurses, doctors, and admin-financial staff. At one point my payment was put on someone else's account, although I had just handed them my credit card with my name on it. I also had to fight to get balances removed for treatment that was not performed. I had by chance caught the mistake because I asked for a ledger with all treatment that I was charged for because the bill for the 2nd cycle was more than the 1st, even though I did the exact protocol.
Monitoring was very efficient and the window of time to go in was very reasonable.
Mini-IVF costs were very reasonable at nearly less than half the cost compared to conventional stimulation protocols. Also, out of pocket expenses such as PGS and ICSI were less than at institutional clinics.
New Hope Fertility Center

There was never a time that I could speak with the doctor [Dr. Zhang] and there were way too many patients at once...I only saw Dr Zhang once for the initial visit and then for about 10 minutes 1/2 way through my full treatment. Upon my initial visit I spoke with him about how i did not want to experience feeling like a number or that I was in an assembly line, and of course that was exactly what I experienced.
At times the nurses [at New Hope] weren't helpful; which led to the feeling of not being satisfied....strengths - his [Dr. Zhang] protocol is more rogue than most. Non-traditional and the costs are less. The phlebotomists are good. weaknesses ..The staff is not great, some of the nurses are inexperienced & do not know how to administer an ultrasound, et al.,..i had to ask repeatedly for my chart to be sent out; and when I first began instead of looking at my previous results from my other RE; they misplaced them and I had to resend.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Not to expect too much communication. That you will have to do a lot of your own research. Make sure that all of your tests are done and be your own advocate.
There was never a time that I could speak with the doctor and there were way too many patients at once. At times the nurses weren't helpful; which led to the feeling of not being satisfied.
I do not remember the name of the protocol that he put me on. The first round was more aggressive than the other ones; but I used the following medications Birth Control pills - - which I told him that I was nervous about, due to the fact that they can make fibroids grow...he (or the nurses) would tell me they weren't anything to worry about Clomid Ganirellex Follistim
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Most were nice, and competent. There were a couple that were very responsive and got back to you quickly; while the others were more curt and I felt viewed me more as a box that they needed to check off by the end of their day.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
strengths - his protocol is more rogue than most. Non-traditional and the costs are less. The phlebotomists are good. weaknesses - You end up paying just as much, if not more, than you would at a traditional facility. The staff is not great, some of the nurses are inexperienced & do not know how to administer an ultrasound, et al.,
My monitoring was pretty simple. I did appreciate the large window of time that was allotted and I was able to usually be in/out within 45 mins.
A good portion was covered by my insurance. However, I spent roughly 10,000 OOP (between medications, costs of retrievals and the anesthesia)
I never got to the transfer stage with his facility, so I can't comment on that. Had I, I would have preferred to transfer more than one at a time.
New Hope Fertility Center

I saw doctor zhang for initial appt. Then I never saw him again, until I waited 2 hours one day to see him, even when I had an appt....Very impersonal. Never looked me in the eye when talking to me. Seemed like he was always delivering a scripted speech. He never felt warm or understanding. He made promises for follow up phone calls or check ins and never delivered on any of them...Not care of existing patients.
[New Hope] Strengths - innovation. Weakness - everything else. Go here if you want zero compassion and empathy and want to be treated like cattle. They dont treat patients like humans, but like a number or a bank account. No quality of care whatsoever......There would be 40 others in the waiting room. The wait was usually 90 minutes +...Always got a different nurse. Not one nurse knew who I was, even after 4 rounds.
Go somewhere else
I saw doctor zhang for initial appt. Then I never saw him again, until I waited 2 hours one day to see him, even when I had an appt. His focus is on getting new patients in the door. Not care of existing patients.
There would be 40 others in the waiting room. The wait was usually 90 minutes +
At first it seemed like costs were reasonable. Realized later, all the individual charges add up and end up being more than rounds at another popular clinic
New Hope Fertility Center

It was very hard to get any information to Dr. Zhang. He told us himself that it was like the waitresses (nurses) were not delivering the order to the chef (himself) correctly. Information kept getting lost and messed up in the process....We did Mini IVF protocols for both my wife and myself. We then did Reciprocal IVF.... My monitoring results got misread and it was very, very hard to get a nurse or doctor to respond to our emails or calls.
The strength of New Hope is that it is very clean. The weaknesses outway the strengths. It was unorganized, stressful to deal with staff, horrible communication, and the people were not trustworthy.... The nurses were very disorganized and made me feel like just another patient they had to shuffle through.... We had won a free cycle through New Hope. However, there were costs they did not let us know about until we arrived at the clinic and we now owe them over $10,000 and still have no baby....
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
It was very hard to get any information to Dr. Zhang. He told us himself that it was like the waitresses (nurses) were not delivering the order to the chef (himself) correctly. Information kept getting lost and messed up in the process. We had won a free cycle through New Hope. However, there were costs they did not let us know about until we arrived at the clinic and we now owe them over $10,000 and still have no baby.
Do your research!
We were just shuffled through the doctor’s office. My monitoring results got misread and it was very, very hard to get a nurse or doctor to respond to our emails or calls.
Cattle call
It was supposed to be a free cycle and we now owe over $10,000 dollars.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
The whole process was a nightmare from beginning to end.
New Hope Fertility Center

I originally wanted to go with natural cycle IVF, but went with his recommendation to use the fertility medication because of my age. ... My treatment was catered to my need and everything was clearly explained. Not once did I feel like a number. I was treated like a person and my feelings were very much considered. ... I was going to fully cooperate and trust he knew what he was doing. I have absolutely no regrets. Dr. Zhang helped me create life in the very same body I thought was broken
Very clean and visually appealing facility [New Hope Fertility Center]. They always had coffee, tea and fresh fruits and snacks in the waiting area. Not once did I feel uncomfortable or disrespected. There was never a prolonged wait time. I was generally in and out which was great for me since I went before work. I never felt rushed or judged. ... [nursing staff] Always respectful and kind.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
After reading up about him I walked in there with my mind set. I was going to fully cooperate and trust he knew what he was doing. I have absolutely no regrets. Dr. Zhang helped me create life in the very same body I thought was broken. He is a God in my heart.
Trust he knows what he is doing. Never question and the instructions .
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Always respectful and kind.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Very clean and visually appealing facility. They always had coffee, tea and fresh fruits and snacks in the waiting area. Not once did I feel uncomfortable or disrespected. There was never a prolonged wait time. I was generally in and out which was great for me since I went before work. I never felt rushed or judged.
Total costs were about 15k
New Hope Fertility Center
Dr. Zhang recommended a hysteroscopy and when it came back positive we found why my three other transfer at another clinic were not taking. After taking antibiotics we proceeded with our transfer ... Unlike my previous doctor, Dr. Zhang treated me as an individual and not like all other women. I liked that very much. ... I’m so glad I went for a second opinion and I’m so glad I joined New Hope!!
When I walked into New Hope I knew this was going to be different for me. I was treated like an individual and not like ALL the other women. ... I’m so glad I went for a second opinion and I’m so glad I joined New Hope!! ... The office is warm and inviting and a true positive space. I don’t have anything negative to say about this facility.... and I’ve recommended New Hope to many people and I will continue to do so!
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
When I walked into New Hope I knew this was going to be different for me. I was treated like an individual and not like ALL the other women. Dr. Zhang recommended a hysteroscopy and when it came back positive we found why my three other transfer at another clinic were not taking. After taking antibiotics we proceeded with our transfer and IT WORKED!!! I have a beautiful healthy and strong daughter and now pregnant with identical twins and I owe it ALL to Dr. Zhang and his amazing team!!!! I’m so glad I went for a second opinion and I’m so glad I joined New Hope!! Thank you for giving me my perfect family!
Trust him and his team!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The nurses that I dealt with were very compassionate and kind. And great at their job!!
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
I love how they treat us women as individuals. The office is warm and inviting and a true positive space. I don’t have anything negative to say about this facility.... and I’ve recommended New Hope to many people and I will continue to do so!
To be honest I do not remember
New Hope Fertility Center

He [Dr. John Zhang] clearly told me and my husband what he can do or cannot do. He is very straightforward. He doesn't just say things to make you his patient.I would say although the procedure itself is painful and lengthy, you will spend the least time in Dr. Zhang's clinic compare with the others...I highly recommend... told us clearly that we will have higher possibility to succeed to transfer more embryos at one time however we may also end up with twins. We said we absolutely don't want twins so we choose to do single embryo transfer.
[The nurses at New Hope Fertility Center are] professional and friendly...clinic is running in a very efficient way. Professional and fast...I would say although the procedure itself is painful and lengthy no matter where you go, for the same thing, you will spend the least time in Dr. Zhang's clinic compare with the others. They are professional and have a efficient way to run their clinic as well. I highly recommend.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zhang's clinic is running in a very efficient way. Professional and fast. He clearly told me and my husband what he can do or cannot do. He is very straightforward. He doesn't just say things to make you his patient. I have tried the other "famous doctor" before I went to him. I would say although the procedure itself is painful and lengthy, you will spend the least time in Dr. Zhang's clinic compare with the others. They are professional and have a efficient way to run their clinic as well. I highly recommend.
professional and friendly
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Dr. Zhang's clinic is running in a very efficient way. Professional and fast. I have tried the other "famous doctor" before I went to him. I would say although the procedure itself is painful and lengthy no matter where you go, for the same thing, you will spend the least time in Dr. Zhang's clinic compare with the others. They are professional and have a efficient way to run their clinic as well. I highly recommend.
It has been over 2 years. I don't recall the cost. Our insurance covered most of it. We might have paid 6-7K out of our own pocket.
They told us clearly that we will have higher possibility to succeed to transfer more embryos at one time however we may also end up with twins. We said we absolutely don't want twins so we choose to do single embryo transfer.

2016, 5 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Zhang was difficult to communicate with. He missed a scheduled phone appointment and only called when I emailed him and his nurses about it. After my cycle, I emailed several times with questions and concerns and did not receive responses. In addition, I felt he only gave me information when I was informed and persistent enough to ask for it; if I hadn't been, I feel he would have happily proceeded with me being "in the dark" and therefore less able to hold him accountable for my clinical outcomes.
Strengths[of New Hope Fertility]: affordability, convenience (for those in NYC area) Weaknesses: lack of communication, lack of physician contact, physicians did not seem to care about me as a person (e.g., physician who did retrieval)...2K for procedure; 500 for anesthesia; 2K for monitoring and bloodwork. Medications were ~2-3K...Once I started my cycle, I had no routine physician interactions-- just interactions with the phlebotomists and ultrasound technicians. When I did interact with a doctor because I had questions or concerns, it was because I specifically asked and fought for it.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Make sure you understand the clinic's approach to egg freezing (i.e., low stim) and it aligns with your own expectations and priorities.
Birth control pills (Desogen, Apri, Reclipsen): HALF a tablet by mouth daily for about a week before the cycle began Letrozole 2.5mg tablet, 1 tablet. Clomid 50mg, 1 tablet. Both for 5 days. Follistim 150 units for four days At this point I discontinued the Letrozole and continued Clomid and Follistim for ~3 days nasal spray and Ovidrel the night before the retrieval
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
I had minimal interaction with nurses.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Strengths: affordability, convenience (for those in NYC area) Weaknesses: lack of communication, lack of physician contact, physicians did not seem to care about me as a person (e.g., physician who did retrieval)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
My cycle yielded less than half the number of eggs and large follicles I had on the morning of the retrieval. In reviewing my situation with other fertility specialists the consensus seems to be that the procedure was mis-timed or the physician did not use the appropriate techniques to withdraw the eggs that were present.
New Hope Fertility Center

The ultrasound and blood work were okay [at New Hope]. The problem is that I was contacted by a different nurse every time when the communicated the ultrasound and egg retrieval results. One nurse did not write English well. It was hard to understand. During the egg retrieval day, there were no nurses to take care of patients. She just put on my patient bracelet and left me to wait for my procedure. They did not take my vital signs. No one took my blood pressure. Afterwards they did not give me any water or food. They just told me to leave. They did not ask if I came alone or if there was anyone to drive me home. There was minimal communication and it was all impersonal.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
In my first consultation, I saw Dr Zhang two and a half hours after waiting past my scheduled appointment time. I also did not like Dr Zhang's abrupt explanations to my questions. He said mini-IVF was the treatment for me and he was over zealous about my chances of success. I never saw him through the rest of the cycle. I always communicated with his nurses and assistants. The cycle was not successful. I scheduled an appointment to see Dr. Zhang for explanations and answers. He explained that it might be the fault of the doctor or maybe they retrieved my eggs at the wrong time. Then he just told me to try again. It felt like they just wanted me as a customer.
Go somewhere else.
1) Waiting for an appoint with Dr Zhang always took a long time. 2) A different nurse contacted me after every ultrasound result to provide instructions. At other clinics, it was always the same person. New Hope felt impersonal. 3) The egg retrieval was impersonal. I was just told to take everything off from the waist down. In two other IVF clinics I attended, you took all your clothes off under the gown. 4) No anesthesiologist checked on me to ask about allergies or medical conditions. When it was my turn, they were running far behind schedule and they acted very rushed. It did not sound like they were going to be careful. 5) Dr Zhang was not the attending physician during egg retrieval. It was someone else. Dr Zhang never told me that it would be another doctor. I never saw Dr Zhang. This was a shock to me. I had never met this other doctor before, and he never introduced himself to me. He just asked me how many follicles I had and if I had IVF before. That was all. He never bothered to read my patient history. 6) No doctor came to talk to me after the retrieval. No one else told me what happened. I was told that I can go home. They never checked if there was someone to drive me home. They never gave me any water or food. That was a horrific experience.
He prescribed minimal stimulation IVF. I started on birth control pills: two pills a day for 2 days, then 1 pill a day for 3 days, then half a pill a day for 3 days. Seven days later, I started clomid: 50 mg/day for 5 days then 25 mg/day for 4 days. At the same time I started clomid, I took letrazole 2.5 mg/day for 6 days. One day after starting clomid and letrazole, I started follistim: 75 IU/day for 7 days. One the last day of follistim, I injected half a syringe of ganirelix. The trigger was 10 IU lupron and 150 IU ovidrel. The rational for the procedure was not explained, other than to say that this is the minimal stimulation protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The ultrasound and blood work were okay. The problem is that I was contacted by a different nurse every time when the communicated the ultrasound and egg retrieval results. One nurse did not write English well. It was hard to understand. During the egg retrieval day, there were no nurses to take care of patients. She just put on my patient bracelet and left me to wait for my procedure. They did not take my vital signs. No one took my blood pressure. Afterwards they did not give me any water or food. They just told me to leave. They did not ask if I came alone or if there was anyone to drive me home. There was minimal communication and it was all impersonal.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Scheduling time with Dr Zhang is hit and miss. Sometimes you get to see him soon, other times it is a long wait of up to 2.5 hours. The clinic is new and clean. Utrasound and bloodwork is efficient and the wait time is short. The problem is on egg retrieval day. It was the most horrific experience of my life. The assistant checking me in told me not to be scared about what I see in the waiting room. When I entered the waiting room, I saw the same room doubled as recovery and waiting rooms. There were no beds. A patient was sleeping on a sofa, recovering from her retrieval. Another woman was left to walk out of the room on her own with no help. She did not have anesthesia. Another woman was in so much pain, she had to be wheeled out in a rolling bed. It was so busy that I had to wait in the recovery area as patients came out of their retrieval. I saw patients coming out like this one after another and I can see every one was not feeling well. There was no privacy. I could see and hear the nurse telling every one about their retrieval results. I had to wait two hours for my turn. I was very upset and scared, sitting there watching all of this happening. I was just told to take everything off from the waist down. In two other IVF clinics I attended, you took all your clothes off under the gown. Here, they just wanted you to drop your pants for a quick retrieval. It was a rushed factory. No anesthesiologist checked on me to ask about allergies or medical conditions. When it was my turn, they were running far behind schedule and they acted very rushed. It did not sound like they were going to be careful. Dr Zhang was not the attending physician. It was someone else. Dr Zhang never told me that it would be another doctor. I never saw Dr Zhang. This was a shock to me. I had never met this other doctor before, and he never introduced himself to me. He just asked me how many follicles I had and if I had IVF before. That was all. He never bothered to read my patient history. He started working on me before the anesthesia took effect. I had to tell them to wait. They never put any blood pressure cuff on me. The room was dark. The operating room in two other IVF clinics I attended were brightly lit. How can they see in the dark? There were no nurses in the operating room. In other IVF clinics I attended, there was a whole team of people helping with egg retrieval. This made me worried about my treatment. Everything felt careless and dangerous. When I woke up, the nurse told me they could only retrieve 4 eggs. She also told me 2 of those 4 eggs were broken. I was devastated to hear this. No doctor came to talk to me. No one else told me what happened. I was told that I can go. They never checked if there was someone to drive me home. They never gave me any water or food. That was a horrific experience. It was traumatic to hear that they broke my eggs and then they just asked me to leave. Afterwards, I could not find any information anywhere about how eggs can be broken. I emailed the nurse to ask. She told me that this can happen when they use high pressure to aspirate the eggs. I contacted other clinics to find out if this can happen and they told me that they have never heard of eggs breaking. I scheduled an appointment to see Dr. Zhang. He explained that it might be the fault of the doctor or maybe they retrieved my eggs at the wrong time. After the anesthesia, I felt nausea and dizziness. I never felt like this when I recovered from other procedures under anesthesia. I also had pain and inflammation for 1 week after the procedure. I never felt this bad with the other two retrievals I had in other clinics. It felt like they were not careful with the anesthesia and they were so rough during retrieval that there was probably scarring and that was how my eggs were broken. Since I don't have many eggs, every egg counts. I was devastated to hear that they broke 2 of my eggs. That IVF cycle was not a success. I will always wonder if those 2 eggs were not broken because of New Hope's carelessness, I would have had a successful procedure. I would not recommend anyone to go here. If this happened to you, you will always be left wondering if your broken eggs was a lost opportunity.
Monitoring was no problem. It was efficient and the wait time was short.
I did not get any bills yet, except the anesthesia bill for $500. I think the rest might be coming later. I also had to pay for the lupron trigger: $10 or $25 in cash, I don't remember. This was a lot of money for 10 IU in a syringe that they filled, considering that an entire 2.8 mL vial of luprion is $10 co-pay, which I know from my other IVF procedure.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
1) No anesthesiologist checked on me to ask about allergies or medical conditions. They were running far behind schedule for retrievals and they acted very rushed. They never put any blood pressure cuff on me. They never gave me anti-nausea medication, while other clinics did this. After the anesthesia, I felt nausea and dizziness. I never felt like this when I recovered from other procedures under anesthesia. 2) I had five follicles. When I woke up from the retrieval , the nurse told me they could only retrieve 4 eggs. She also told me 2 of those 4 eggs were broken. I was devastated to hear this. No doctor came to talk to me. No one else told me what happened. Afterwards, I could not find any information anywhere about how eggs can be broken. I emailed the nurse to ask. She told me that this can happen when they use high pressure to aspirate the eggs. I contacted other clinics to find out if this can happen and they told me that they have never heard of eggs breaking. I scheduled an appointment to see Dr. Zhang. He explained that it might be the fault of the doctor or maybe they retrieved my eggs at the wrong time. I also had pain and inflammation for 1 week after the procedure. I never felt this bad with the other two retrievals I had in other clinics. It felt like they were not careful. They were so rushed and rough during retrieval that there was probably scarring and that was how my eggs were broken. Since I don't have many eggs, every egg counts. I was devastated to hear that they broke 2 of my eggs. I will always wonder if those 2 eggs were not broken because of New Hope's carelessness, I would have had a successful procedure. I would not recommend anyone to go here.
New Hope Fertility Center

The doctor was unable to communicate clearly with me regarding my diagnosis, and best options, when I was able to actually speak with him directly. There was little explanation ever given for treatment choices recommended to me or discussion of how I should make decisions about what to do next after a failed cycle.
They are conveniently located and take many forms of insurance. They may work effectively with younger women, but do not seem to have any particular strength working with women who need more customized protocols....I was called and told that I had a positive pregnancy test, only to get my period the next day. They never attempted to explain or discuss the result, or apologize for what that experience was like.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Go somewhere else, if you are seeking treatment with doctors that can provide regular, and clear communication.
Once I had an initial consultation, it was almost impossible to have a conversation with a doctor about my treatment. I once waited three hours for an appt with a doctor after I repeatedly requested an appt and was finally given a time.
New Hope recommends a "natural" IVF approach that is low dosage and involves fewer injectables. They claim that this is equally/more successful than traditional approaches, but they do not take into account age or diagnosis in personalizing a protocol. I produced very few eggs, and none matured far enough for transfer.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
There are no assigned nurses, just a rotating group who will work with you when you arrive for monitoring, etc. They leave you emails with instructions and follow up, and if you try to ask a follow up question, you may not hear back from the same person.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
It was very quick and efficient, but there was no interaction with doctors.
They creatively use insurance, to minimize uncovered costs. My out of pocket costs were probably about 5K.
New Hope Fertility Center

The Dr [Dr. John Zhang] was nice and very straight-forward... And the lack of seeing a dr was really irritating. I did mini-IVF and we were freezing eggs due to male infertility. They did not explain the importance to freezing embryos vs. eggs and i feel like I wasted a lot of time and money doing treatments and retrievals...Monitoring was easy. The hours were very expansive so you didnt have to rush to be in line like other clinics to be seen in a small window.
I found the technology at the practice [New Hope] from the waiting room to the email system, nice, but the billing department was a disaster. They overcharged me constantly and even once, held a payment over my head the day before a retrival, saying i couldnt have the procedure done unless I paid the bill. It was only submitted to my insurance a week beforehand and had not been processed. They made assumptions about my plan and charged me for things my insurance covered.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
The Dr was nice and very straight-forward. I found the technology at the practice from the waiting room to the email system, nice, but the billing department was a disaster. They overcharged me constantly and even once, held a payment over my head the day before a retrival, saying i couldnt have the procedure done unless I paid the bill. It was only submitted to my insurance a week beforehand and had not been processed. They made assumptions about my plan and charged me for things my insurance covered. It was extremely frustrating. And the lack of seeing a dr was really irritating. I did mini-IVF and we were freezing eggs due to male infertility. They did not explain the importance to freezing embryos vs. eggs and i feel like I wasted a lot of time and money doing treatments and retrievals.
Push for information and check your bills very carefully.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
They do everything by email which is fine unless you have questions. often times questions go unanswered, i had meds not called in, and problems not addressed because you dont have a dedicated nurse. The volume is too high and they are not responsive via email and i have often called 3x to get someone on the phone to only be told they will call me back. I went into a procedure without having antibiotics or anxiety meds i requested more than 3x.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Pro- high tech, convenient location, smaller, more friendly than other clinics, sat hours for cyro and other appts Cons - Disorganized billing, no dedicated dr or nurse, you never see a dr, Waited 3 HOURS for a transfer once with little updates or sympathy
I have benefits via my employeer so I shouldnt have paid anything other than for meds. Every bill had to be scruntized with Blue Cross as this clinic made assumptions about my plan. They ended up cutting me a check for almost $1000.00 of which i was over charged. I'm pretty sure i still over-paid but was so annoyed with them, I moved on. Too stressful and they're so rude.
The mini-IVF was a waste of time for me. We only yielded 5-6 per round and had to cancel a few due to lack of stimulation. Was expensive and only one egg made it to blastocyst and was day 7. We were not told not to try and transfer it, but having spoken to other clinics now, i realize that was a waste of time and money.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
Before a retrieval i was asked if i wanted anti-anxiety meds. I said yes, on a Wednesday, and followed up Thurs and Fri with clinic via email and voicemail. It was never filled. I then waited over 3 hours for a procedure and the meds were never called in.
New Hope Fertility Center

I was switched over to Dr. Liu last minute and he knew nothing about it me and it was apparent....I felt rushed, the service was very generic. There was uncertainty particularly with when I was ready for the implant. He was rushed and I never had the assurance I needed. He was passed over to me in a very dismissive way and his accent was so strong at times, I would have to ask him to email me as I could not fully understand.
The office [New Hope] itself operates like a well oiled machine. There was no consistency with nurse staff. I was passed around and couldn't depend on any one person to answer my email etc...New Hope is a clean, well run office. The Mini IVF approach works for those that want a low stimulation that mirrors most natural cycle. Communication is what this office lacks as there were a few disconnects in our journey. Most of the challenges were in the implant stage vs retrieval.
How was your experience with Zitao Liu at New Hope Fertility Center?
Ask for Dr. Zang instead.
Dr. Zang was my original doctor I had received consultation and during the retrieval process. I was switched over to Dr. Liu last minute and he knew nothing about it me and it was apparent.
Mini IVF that included estradiol pills daily and follistim injections. Ovidrel was used to stimulate the final follicle(s) maturation and to initiate the trigger before Egg Retrieval.There was consistent blood work done at their facilities.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The office itself operates like a well oiled machine. There was no consistency with nurse staff. I was passed around and couldn't depend on any one person to answer my email etc.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
monitoring appointments themselves were easy but the communication disconnect came into play when determining my lining was Ok to move forward with implant.
Dont recall all the costs but the biggest thing to consider is that its $200 per lab appointment. You can pay $800 a month for unlimited. This was what we hadnt planned would be most expensive as they constantly had me come in to determine whether my levels and lining was ready for implant. Took too long and too much money.
Describe Zitao Liu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
Dr. Zhang whom presented himself as handling everything only to later pass me on to Dr. Lui explained that he felt confident that this Mini IVF would yield about 4 eggs. He suggested I run PGS genetic testing to ensure only the best embryos are selected. 4 were actually retrieved and 2 passed PGS. New Hope was opposed to having implant both at the same time but we went ahead with implanting both (5 day/PGS tested) embryos at once.
Zitao Liu
New Hope Fertility Center

After my initial consultation I never saw the doctor [Dr. John Zhang] again...I am a very versed patient and he was my first RE, I was 35 and he tried to talk to me I’m a condescending way. All the other RE’s I have seen since were 100 times better at all medical conversations...He recommended mini IVF for me due to high FSH. They never even tested my AMH which was so weird, but I did 2 out cycles with him and he did clomid ok both. I saw a technician for follicle scans and they couldn’t talk to you and a different doctor for both iui procedures.
The waiting room [at New Hope] was a zoo and wait times even with an appointment were crazy. None of the receptionists or nurses knew me...when they tried to move me onto IVF I ran for my life. At the consult they explained how anesthesia wasn’t covered by insurance but also totally unnecessary and not recommended for egg retrieval and I thought that sounded crazy. Never stuck around to experience that...One nurse helped me with a trigger before the procedure because I became overwhelmed by the fact that they told me to do it but no one ever showed me how and I was standing in the office and actually started to cry because it was like being 100% alone yet surrounded by medical professional. .
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
I felt Dr. Zhang was very arrogant in comparison to all the RE’s I have seen. I am a very versed patient and he was my first RE, I was 35 and he tried to talk to me I’m a condescending way. All the other RE’s I have seen since were 100 times better at all medical conversations. I just couldn’t get out of there quicker. I knew there had to be better doctors and better experiences and luckily when they tried to move me onto IVF I ran for my life. At the consult they explained how anesthesia wasn’t covered by insurance but also totally unnecessary and not recommended for egg retrieval and I thought that sounded crazy. Never stuck around to experience that.
Demand better and more personalized care.
After my initial consultation I never saw the doctor again. The waiting room was a zoo and wait times even with an appointment were crazy. None of the receptionists or nurses knew me.
He recommended mini IVF for me due to high FSH. They never even tested my AMH which was so weird, but I did 2 out cycles with him and he did clomid ok both. I saw a technician for follicle scans and they couldn’t talk to you and a different doctor for both iui procedures. One nurse helped me with a trigger before the procedure because I became overwhelmed by the fact that they told me to do it but no one ever showed me how and I was standing in the office and actually started to cry because it was like being 100% alone yet surrounded by medical professional. .
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
This one. It’s did help me once when I began to cry because no one would tell me what to do with the needle the handed me and told me to give myself for trigger. She was so sweet. All the other nurses seemed cold
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
They overbook so expect to wait a very very long time for iui procedures and other procedures. I can’t think of any strengths I was very unhappy at this clinic. They do have a communication portal but it was always someone new that I was talking with which felt very odd and impersonal. After 2 failed iui’s the random doctor who was there that day just asked if I wanted to skip the 3rd iui and just move onto IVF and I was like, yeah actually I do but I am 100% not doing IVF here. It seemed so weird how casually it was mentioned. Pretty traumatizing for a newbie. Now that I’m an IVF veteran I have no problem with a doctor speaking so bluntly but it wasn’t even my doctor!! And he was making that decision for me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
The communication was generally very bad at this clinic. I had to really fight for instructions and information and track down nurses.
New Hope Fertility Center
Dr. Zhang seemed to be sufficiently attentive, and receptive to my concerns (whether age, costs, immune issues etc). I actually think his idea of minimal stimulation works well for older women...I became worried by the end that they do not monitor closely enough and I think they don't. It might make sense to come a bit more frequently, especially in the beginning of the cycle, so they adjust the drugs better.
about 4K per retrieval + meds...Good location, easy monitoring, lighter protocol -- which i think is still effective. I liked many of the nurses, embryologists. Sometimes, nurses don't get back to you, or seem to be not be very knowledgeable or experienced -- that is troublesome, as it adds to stress...I became worried by the end that they do not monitor closely enough and I think they don't. It might make sense to come a bit more frequently, especially in the beginning of the cycle, so they adjust the drugs better.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zhang seemed compassionate and willing to be relatively flexible (immune issues etc). I felt somewhat stressed though, when asking for help to make a decision, he would not quite help saying it's an elective procedure...
He uses minimal stimulation estrase/chlomid/femara/fsh/ganorelix
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Most of the nurses are very good and compassionate. However i had problems with nurses, 1) they would not give me clear answer about medication/consequences -- as a result i had unexpected reaction etc; 2) one of the nurses, who does not seem to work there any longer, advised me not to take a pain relief medication before procedure -- i came into the office for prescription. As a result i suffered great pain during a procedure and after the procedure, for about a year various pelvic floor problems
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
they have very wide monitoring window, so it is very convenient.
about 4K per retrieval + meds
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
I was giving conflicting information about timing, ovulation, pain relief etc...
2014 - 2015, Successful
Embryo Freezing
While I had limited time with Dr.Zhang, he spoke with me cordially and exuded a confidence about my treatment and prognosis for success. He seemed to genuinely care that I was successful...He's a fabulous doctorfor difficult cases, mini IVF or other unique circumstances. He doesn't turn people away...Dr Zhang was knowledgeable and confident in his ability to help me get pregnant, but there was a language barrier that made communication challenging at times. I was part of a clinical study and most of my communication came through the coordinator.
The clinic had a comfortable, relaxing setting. It felt like a spa. The embryologist were amazing and I loved Dr. Zhang's positivity. It made my treatments feel less stressful. However, the billing department was an absolute nightmare. I have never seen such incompetence in any clinical setting in my life. I left the clinic solely because of the billing department...They wouldn't provide me with a summary of charges, just told me I owed money with no explanation. I was charged multiple times for the same thing, it took several phone calls to resolve issues. It was next to impossible to reach anyone and they wouldn't return calls.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
He's a fabulous doctorfor difficult cases, mini IVF or other unique circumstances. He doesn't turn people away. And I was confident in his ability to help me achieve my goal of pregnancy
Mini IVF with FET for first transfer, and FET for second transfer. Both were SETs.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Very busy, not particularly empathetic, and hurried with relaying information. Still kind and professional though.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Second FET was approximately $3500 with additional $200 per appointment, plus meds. None were covered under insurance. First FET was part of a clinical study and I only paid for meds - appropriately $1500.
Dr. Zhang was very clear on his preference for SETs, citing his "one good egg" philosophy. I was fine with that, and understood the research behind that approach.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
The billing department was a nightmare. They wouldn't provide me with a summary of charges, just told me I owed money with no explanation. I was charged multiple times for the same thing, it took several phone calls to resolve issues. It was next to impossible to reach anyone and they wouldn't return calls. If I wanted help I needed to go in person and wait. Additionally, when I had my chemical pregnancy, they failed to inform me of my results by phone as requested, and I found out via email. Finally, it took nearly a half dozen calls over almost a month to have my records sent to my new clinic.