Genetic counseling is not offered: Not Offered
Flushing, NY 11355
718-460-1203
1160 Broadway
212-481-7888
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend New York Fertility Center to a friend?
Don't recommend: 100%3.2
4.1

6.9

6.2

4.1

5.5

3.2
1 doctor
When he [Dr. Tsai] read the results of the semen analysis to my husband, my husband was devastated. Dr. Tsai noticed, but instead of just saying ok have a good day, he proceeded to make my husband feel better and that we still had a chance. On the day of my egg retrieval, he started off by being really positive saying, "Today is the big day, everything looks good, and we are hoping for the best!" Even after the treatment was over and unsuccessful, he showed genuine concern as to why it didn't work and went over options including recommending a grant.
[New York Fertility Center] gave me a strict list of foods/drinks to stay away from, as well as a pill/vitamin regiment. After retrieval the only injection was progesterone...package plans available if you are paying out-of-pocket and loan options through a third-party financial co. We paid out-of-pocket because our insurance didn't cover IVF and we didn't want to pay a loan with interest. Our fresh transfer cycle was $14,000. This included all monitoring, injectable meds, egg retrieval, and transfer, anesthesia, and ICSI. Basically, it covered everything but the vitamins and the prescription pills for in-between monitoring appointments.
How was your experience with Tony Tsai at New York Fertility Center?
Dr. Tony Tsai was very knowledgeable. He's been in practice for a long time and seems to be up on the latest news of infertility. When he read the results of the semen analysis to my husband, my husband was devastated. Dr. Tsai noticed, but instead of just saying ok have a good day, he proceeded to make my husband feel better and that we still had a chance. On the day of my egg retrieval, he started off by being really positive saying, "Today is the big day, everything looks good, and we are hoping for the best!" Even after the treatment was over and unsuccessful, he showed genuine concern as to why it didn't work and went over options including recommending a grant.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tony Tsai at New York Fertility Center?
He speaks very fast so pay attention. No matter how busy he is if there is something you don't understand, ask. Also, expect long wait times.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tony Tsai at New York Fertility Center?
Some of the appointments felt rushed because of the number of patients waiting, but for the short amount of time you had to talk with the doctor, he gave his full attention.
Describe the protocols Tony Tsai used in your cycles at New York Fertility Center and their degree of success.
He started me on a short cycle, so I had no injections/medicine prior to my day 3 appointment. He started me on a low dosage of Gonal-F, but when my follicles weren't showing growth he upped the dosage and changed the injection site from sub-cutaneous to intra-muscular. The number of follicles tripled, but growth was still slow so then he added menopur. My follicles finally started to grow, but he was afraid I would ovulate before the treatment so he added ganirelix to keep me regulated. They also gave me a strict list of foods/drinks to stay away from, as well as a pill/vitamin regiment. After retrieval the only injection was progesterone.
He has quite a large staff, but the nurses I saw the most were Noel at his Flushing location. The other nurse at his Manhattan office is also very nice and very good at returning calls, but I can't remember her name. I saw Noel as much as the doctor himself. He's very quiet, calm, and direct. The sono tech (I think her name was Joanne) had an awesome personality and Jenny was also great (she did my bloodwork, assisted the doctor in procedures, and many other roles).
Describe your experience with New York Fertility Center.
The waiting room is quite small so if they are busy expect to stand. Sometimes the front desk area seems chaotic because they are running around trying to get everything done. My biggest issues were the wait times, not only in the waiting room but also how late my procedures took place after the original appointment time. Dr. Tsai is the only RE so I believe that's what causes the wait to be so much worse than a practice that involves a team of MD's.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tony Tsai at New York Fertility Center.
Dr. Tsai has package plans available if you are paying out-of-pocket and loan options through a third-party financial co. We paid out-of-pocket because our insurance didn't cover IVF and we didn't want to pay a loan with interest. Our fresh transfer cycle was $14,000. This included all monitoring, injectable meds, egg retrieval, and transfer, anesthesia, and ICSI. Basically, it covered everything but the vitamins and the prescription pills for in-between monitoring appointments.
Describe Tony Tsai's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New York Fertility Center.
Dr. Tsai didn't recommend an eSET. I also didn't have a choice in the matter as I only had one viable embryo. He makes the decision based on the case.
Tony Tsai
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Tony Tsai at New York Fertility Center.

During our first consultation, he [Dr. Tsai] made me feel uncomfortable and defective, highlighting my age and quickly ushering me out of his office. After testing my husband's sperm and looking at the results of my Fallopian tube test, he said "The problem is her."...He then proceeded to tell us how popular and successful IVF is now, seeing as "JLO" and "Beyonce" have all had it done...He used this odd clicking contraption to "count" the sperm by hand. It looked like he was doing Morse code. Then he rendered his opinion that my husband had "super sperm." Again, no staining, no report. For that, he charged $250. He told us that we should have IVF and get pregnant once and then maybe we could get pregnant afterwards by ourselves but we should try IVF because "JLO" and "Beyonce" had done it. I can't believe he practices medicine.
None of the furniture matches [at New York Fertility Center]. It looks like Tony Tsai took old mismatched furniture from his home and threw them in this office. There were people standing because there weren't enough seats. There was a pair of fertility stones called "Shiva Longham" with a framed placard that explained how you were supposed to use them...There were old random posters of Jesus and Precious moments babies...My husband had to come out with a cup of sperm and hand it over, not anonymously, to the receptionist. Everything about these clinics looked like they were not legal or up to code or HIPAA regulations.
How was your experience with Tony Tsai at New York Fertility Center?
Tony Tsai is an unprofessional doctor with no compassion or bedside manner. He said that "The problem is her" when he found out that one of my tubes was blocked. When he performed the sperm analysis on my husband's sperm, he brought us to the back of a corridor with no doors in his Queens office, and proceeded to place the sperm under a microscope. He joked around and laughed at me when I looked disgusted when he put the sperm on the glass rectangle, stirring the sperm and slowly squirting it onto the glass, like it was some kind of sauce. He said something along the lines of "You don't like it?" It was unprofessional and disgusting. We later find out that his so-called analysis was unscientific. There was no report, there was no mention of morphology. He basically put the sperm on a microscope and showed us the squirming sperm magnified on his old Windows 95 computer. He used this odd clicking contraption to "count" the sperm by hand. It looked like he was doing Morse code. Then he rendered his opinion that my husband had "super sperm." Again, no staining, no report. For that, he charged $250. He told us that we should have IVF and get pregnant once and then maybe we could get pregnant afterwards by ourselves but we should try IVF because "JLO" and "Beyonce" had done it. I can't believe he practices medicine.
DO NOT GO TO TONY TSAI. And if you do, you must have thick skin because he will make you feel uncomfortable if you are a woman. He speaks with disdain and makes unprofessional and inappropriate jokes.
Dr. Tony Tsai is a terrible doctor. During our first consultation, he made me feel uncomfortable and defective, highlighting my age and quickly ushering me out of his office. After testing my husband's sperm and looking at the results of my Fallopian tube test, he said "The problem is her." My husband had to hold back and not give him a piece of his mind. He then proceeded to tell us how popular and successful IVF is now, seeing as "JLO" and "Beyonce" have all had it done, as if that was something I wanted to here.
Thank goodness, I decided not to go any further with Tony Tsai. I brought the one clinical report from Lenox Hill with me to Columbia Fertility and started treatment there. The only thing Tony Tsai was good for was ordering the Fallopian tube test.
The nursing staff are also the receptionists. When I saw that the same people running my credit card and making my appointments were running to the room to take my blood, I was worried. There seems to be some kind of ultrasound technician. She did not tell me what she was doing or why she was doing it.
Describe your experience with New York Fertility Center.
Tony Tsai has 2 offices, one in Manhattan and 1 in Flushing, Queens. The office in Manhattan appears to an apartment converted into a clinic. The elevator is scary. The suites are make shift and inspire no confidence that it is sanitary or professional. I saw people coming out of some back corridor looking in pain. I would not be surprised if they had their IVF in some poorly lit room back there. The Flushing office, if you could believe it, is much worse. None of the furniture matches. It looks like Tony Tsai took old mismatched furniture from his home and threw them in this office. There were people standing because there weren't enough seats. There was a pair of fertility stones called "Shiva Longham" with a framed placard that explained how you were supposed to use them (I took a picture). There were old random posters of Jesus and Precious moments babies. The receptionists all had tatoos and used foul language. They looked and sounded like convicts or truck drivers. My husband had to come out with a cup of sperm and hand it over, not anonymously, to the receptionist. Everything about these clinics looked like they were not legal or up to code or HIPAA regulations.
I compared the costs that Tony Tsai was billing my insurance versus what Columbia Fertility had billed them and it appeared that he was charging a lot for ultrasounds and consultations, where I barely saw him for 30 minutes. I brought it to the attention of my insurance.
Tony Tsai did not talk about this with us.
What specific things went wrong at New York Fertility Center?
Tony Tsai