Genetic counseling: Offered
Greensboro
1517 North Church Street
Greensboro, NC 27405
336-273-4490
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine to a friend?

7.2
2 doctors
[At NC Center for Reproductive Med-Cary] IVF cycle $4500 included anesthesia, facility fee, retrieval, ICSI, assisted hatching, & blastocyst culture plus later FET. IVF cycle management fee $500 Monitoring ~$1000 for their package and payment varied locally Medications $3-5,000. Mine were $2500 with $1000 worth also donated to me Medical Screening $1300-2500 (paid by insurance) Semen analysis, freeze, SCSA $650 IVF class $65 PGS Biopsy $2000 with $150 for shipping and $150 per embryo tested. FET meds $96 due to insurance coverage. IVF cycle administrative fee $30.
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Wait time can be long within the office, some of the staff from the embryology department is difficult to understand over the phone, office is calming/soothing, financial staff was very helpful in explaining all fees. The front desk staff were very helpful and friendly as well.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sameh Toma at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine?
The nurse in charge of IUI/IVF seems very busy and doesn’t always respond in a timely manner to phone calls or emails.
Describe your experience with your nurse at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Carla Yelton)
Carla is very clear with information provided but not great at getting back to patients when questions arise. I found emailing her worked much better than calling to leave a message.
What specific things went wrong at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine?
How was your experience with Sameh Toma at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Bedside manner leaves much to be desired but he is knowledgeable and confident in his treatment plan and manner of approach. He does not sugar coat or coddle patients but is very upfront and businesslike.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sameh Toma at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Don’t go into his office expecting to be coddled but do go if you want the best chance of pregnancy available in our area.
Describe the protocols Sameh Toma used in your cycles at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Utlized gonadotropins Gonal-F and Menopur with deltoid injections versus stomach placement for egg retrieval. It was indicated they had better results with medicine objected into arm versus stomach. Beginning of IVF cycle with 2 weeks birth control then Baseline ultrasound with estrogen levels checked and then ultrasound every 2 days to check follicles/along with labs to check estrogen. Triggered with Lupron to avoid OHSS but because of this fresh transfer is not utilized due to lining issues. Dr Toma does freeze all cycles with a transfer occurring later so the lining can be monitored for implantation success. He indicated that their statistics were higher for FET than fresh transfers. I had 15 follicles, retrieved 9 eggs, 4 were mature, 2 embryos made it to blastocyst with 1 being genetically normal.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Monitoring at the clinic was between 8-9:30 on weekdays and 8-9 on weekends. I also did monitoring locally with my obgyn due to distance to travel. I usually had to wait quite a bit during the monitoring visits depending on number of patients there.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sameh Toma at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
1 IVF cycle $4500 included anesthesia, facility fee, retrieval, ICSI, assisted hatching, & blastocyst culture plus later FET. IVF cycle management fee $500 Monitoring ~$1000 for their package and payment varied locally Medications $3-5,000. Mine were $2500 with $1000 worth also donated to me Medical Screening $1300-2500 (paid by insurance) Semen analysis, freeze, SCSA $650 IVF class $65 PGS Biopsy $2000 with $150 for shipping and $150 per embryo tested. FET meds $96 due to insurance coverage. IVF cycle administrative fee $30.
Describe Sameh Toma's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Dr Toma does 1-2 embryos depending upon the patient and factors specific to that patient.
Cary

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sameh Toma at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.

[North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine was] Very accessible when trying to get appointments set up and very upfront with cost. They were very accurate on the cost of the medication and the transfer. Some what difficult to reach someone at the front desk. You always have to enter a code to reach someone...She [nurse] was excellent. She worked with my many phone calls during business hours and the ones not during business hours. If I needed more time to think about a procedure she answered. She was also available through email and made every scan and blood work extremely comfortable. She was very comforting when telling me my test was negative and gave me time to grieve.
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
My doctor was very responsive to any and every question. He was available with funny stories to get me to calm down during transfer and scans. He made sure that I understood the entire process and that there are no guarantees but he would do is best and that’s exactly what I wanted. I didn’t want anyone to sell me any fairytale and I be devastated, and he was very honest about his expectations.
Describe your experience with your nurse at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Carla)
She was excellent. She worked with my many phone calls during business hours and the ones not during business hours. If I needed more time to think about a procedure she answered. She was also available through email and made every scan and blood work extremely comfortable. She was very comforting when telling me my test was negative and gave me time to grieve.
Dr. Roma was very professional very blunt. He didn’t waste time with pretty words. He said exactly what we need to do and that’s how it was executed. If I had questions about any procedure it was quickly answered. I was always able to speak directly to the Dr. if I requested him specifically or if I wasn’t sure about a procedure he would explain in detail and also provide research and links were I might find more information.
If you need someone to be subtle in their words Dr. Toma is not the right person for you. His approach works well for some people, but if you need a softer touch or more hand holding he is not the one. I love that he is blunt without being rude or dismissive.
Blood work and monitoring were done only in the mornings between 8-9 am. Good luck if you were in a hurry. They did their best to not keep you waiting long but sometime that depends on what day your blood work and monitoring was.
I believe the total cost of the ivf was around $6000. My blood work was covered by insurance.
Cary

We set a consult [with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine] and showed up not sure what to expect. We got to speak with dr Hoffman who took time to get to know us and ask us our goal. went over any medical issues / concerns. Explained the process and what to expect from there. Then we met with the iui/ivf np Carla who is our primary point of contact. Then met with a financial advisor as well. This was helpful to talk to multiple people from different departments to help us understand what to expect
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
We set a consult and showed up not sure what to expect. We got to speak with dr Hoffman who took time to get to know us and ask us our goal. went over any medical issues / concerns. Explained the process and what to expect from there. Then we met with the iui/ivf np Carla who is our primary point of contact. Then met with a financial advisor as well. This was helpful to talk to multiple people from different departments to help us understand what to expect
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Glen Hofmann at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Hoffman was very personable. As the partner that is carrying, I thought it was great he seemed to take extra Interest to make sure my wife felt important and included. Remembered our faces and details, like her occupation, upon later visits and continued conversations from previous months.
Describe your experience with your nurse at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Carla )
Super friendly and easy to reach. Calls back to walk me through any questions I had. Appeared to remember previous cycles with minimum prompting
How was your experience with Glen Hofmann at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine?
My wife and I never felt that he was uncomfortable treating a lesbian couple. He seemed very hopeful and positive. Made it all seem rather simple- Maybe too simple and could’ve found it helpful to go in to a little more detail to cover some parts more thoroughly
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Glen Hofmann at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Know what is important to you and if not answered, ask. He is very easy to talk to but perhaps may forget that not everyone is as knowledgeable as he Is
Describe the protocols Glen Hofmann used in your cycles at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We were monitoring my natural cycle and did a trigger shot 24 hours before insem. I had three dominant follicles. But still received a negative test.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Glen Hofmann at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
So far it has been ever visit is about $95 co pay... $150 for trigger shot. $350 for each Insem with washed sperm. $320 for storage of sperm
Describe Glen Hofmann's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Not applicable
Glen Hofmann
Cary

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Glen Hofmann at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.

Male Factor, Immunological
The clinic's location [NC Ctr Repro Med] was beneficial for my husband; the front desk will let you know if Dr Toma is running behind. I love the spa across the hallway from them and they do provide services for women going through treatments. The waiting room is very spa like and comforting...Carla was amazing- but there were times I had to play phone tag. They are an extremely busy office and sometimes you have to call the front desk. Just remember to have empathy!
Male Factor, Immunological
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic's location was beneficial for my husband; the front desk will let you know if Dr Toma is running behind. I love the spa across the hallway from them and they do provide services for women going through treatments. The waiting room is very spa like and comforting
He sits down and tells you what his plan is for you and goes by what the test results showed. At first he thought I was dealing with PCOS- but my results for that screening came up normal. We found the reason why the procedures weren't working in the past and he swiftly corrected the issue.
Bottom line- he will not coddle or sugar coat stuff for you! He can be abrasive at first, but his mission is to get you pregnant with your take home baby. I saw him as like a determined commander (I'm a veteran)- he up front gave me the plans before we started; and did more thorough testing of my husband and I. My last clinic did not want to do more testing-which really discouraged me. After we had our answers- we were able to tailor a plan which ended up with my BFP. I now have my son and I owe it all to Dr Toma!
Have your questions ready, and look past the abrasiveness. See him as being determined to get you the results you want!
Femara, Ovidrel, Claritin and Medrol. I had inflammation of my endometrium caused by my autoimmune stuff and we focused on calming that down before the treatment.
Cary

The clinic [North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine] is great at getting you in for appointments, all very friendly. The only thing I don't like is that it is very hard to get in touch with people once you've started treatment. Luckily, I had Carla who was great at emailing me ... Carla is AMAZING! She does the job of 20! She is so caring to her patients and always made me feel like a priority.
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is great at getting you in for appointments, all very friendly. The only thing I don't like is that it is very hard to get in touch with people once you've started treatment. Luckily, I had Carla who was great at emailing me
It was always hard to get in touch with the clinic. They never called back in a timely manner. It's hard enough when you're going through IVF to not feel super important.
Dr. Toma was good at giving a lot of information with data, always explained everything he had to tell us and always made us feel comfortable. We traveled 12 hours to see Dr. Toma. He cared for us and made sure to pack as much into our appointments as possible to where we weren't making unnecessary trips in between treatment.
Since everyone I know is 12 hours away from Dr. Toma, I would recommend him (and I did, I had a friend see him and is currently expecting her first child) because he knows what he is doing and is NOT in it for the money. He just wants to help couples have children
I had a typical round of IVF with ICSI. My first ER was cancelled because I didn't respond to medicine and dropped an egg on my own. For the next ER all of my doses were doubled for menopur and such. I responded well this time. They retrieved 16 eggs, 10 were mature, 8 fertilized and 3 made it to a 5 day freeze. My first frozen transfer we transferred 2 low grade embryos. All meds for me for transfer were also doubled except for my progesterone. This cycle ended up failing. The next transfer we transferred our last frozen embryo. Medicine was the same as last cycle. It also ended in a failure. They said we had poor embryos due to my husbands sperm quality.
Very efficient!
IVF was $5,000. We had to pay additionally for extra sperm samples ($300/ea) meds were all out of pocket. I don't even remember how much we paid for meds, I know it was in the thousands. I had to do monitoring at a home location and paid out of pocket for all of those as well. Which was another couple thousand
He didn't have a strong preference since we didn't have good quality embryos

Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
The clinic [North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine] and laboratory seem to be very experienced with the freeze all cycles. All my embryos have survived the thawing so far. I was able to recouperate and rest my body to prepare for my first frozen embryo transfer after the egg retreaval. This clinic seems to be more affordable than most clinics in the research triangle area. Carla, Brenda(the receptionist), and Carolynn are super friendly and caring.
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic and laboratory seem to be very experienced with the freeze all cycles. All my embryos have survived the thawing so far. I was able to recouperate and rest my body to prepare for my first frozen embryo transfer after the egg retreaval. This clinic seems to be more affordable than most clinics in the research triangle area. Carla, Brenda(the receptionist), and Carolynn are super friendly and caring.
Clinic is very busy at times. If I was not in a current cycle, it is sometimes hard to get a prompt call back from the nurse assigned to me. It was easier to email her.
She was very busy, so it was hard to hear back from her at times especially between active cycles, emailing her was better that calling her. She was very friendly, caring, patient, and understanding. Overall, I had a positive experience with her despite my current outcomes.
Dr Toma’s personality is straight and to the point, a little blunt. He can sometimes come off as a little cold, but he doesn’t sugar coat anything, just what you need to know. Be prepared ahead of time with questions to ask because he is busy and will leave quickly if you hesitate with any questions after the visit is over.
Be prepared to ask questions
All embryo transfers are freeze all cycles FET#1 progesterone in oil injections, estradiol in oil injections, estring, antibiotic(around transfer), steriod(around transfer), baby aspirin, progesterone capsule vaginally(morning of transfer). Transferred 2 embryos resulting a positive pregnancy test, but ending in a missed miscarriage at 5 weeks. FET#2 progesterone in oil, estradiol in oil, estring, steriod (started at day 2 and ended at pregnancy test), antibiotic(around transfer), baby aspirin, progesterone capsule vaginally(morning of transfer) Transferred two embryos, negative pregnancy test FET#3 HSG Test performed before this transfer resulting in finding blocked tubes(no toxic fluid) but a normal uterus. Doctor suggested to proceed again. projesterone in oil, estradiol in oil, estring, metformin(to help prevent miscarriage), Claritin(help embryo attach, body not reject embryo), Pepcid(help embryo attach, body to not reject embryo), steriod, antibiotic(close to transfer, progesterone capsule vaginally(morning or transfer), baby aspirin. Transferred 2 embryos resulting in positive pregnancy test, but missed miscarriage at 5 weeks.
Monitoring was from 8-9:30am. If I got there right at 8, they typically would get me right in within 30 minutes, my bloodwork and ultrasound.
$4800 for egg retreaval, first Frozen embryo transfer, storage of remaining embryos up to one year. Didn’t include any medications or injections($3,500 for egg retrieval meds and $500-$1,000 for each embryo transfer meds), monitoring(during and after transfer)and blood tests after transfer.
I did not have my embryos PGD/PGS tested so Dr Toma suggested to transfer 2 embryos each transfer to increase my odds of pregnancy.

Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
The monitoring appointments [at NCCRM] were very quick and efficient. They were by walk ins from 8-10am and I would get there by 75 to be the first one seen. I was usually out by 8:30 if bloodwork was done as well.... Awesome! They [the nursing staff] were there day and night to answer and questions we had. They had great bedside manner and we loved having them on our team!
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
They were awesome. For our ultrasounds to see our baby once we were pregnant, we did have to routinely wait in the ultrasound room for about 30 min. Before the doctor and nurse came in, but that is our absolute only complaint. When we saw there was no heartbeat, they changed their schedule around to fully accommodate my husband and I and get us in for our D and C.
They always knew my name as soon as I walked in the door and where I was in my cycle. They also dedicated as much time as I needed when they were with me to answer any questions I had.
Describe your experience with your nurse at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Carla and Folita)
Awesome! They were there day and night to answer and questions we had. They had great bedside manner and we loved having them on our team!
Dr. Toma was very knowledgeable and also blunt, which I appreciated. His bedside manner is good but he also doesn’t sugar coat the information he is intending to convey. He micromanaged my cycle which I also appreciate to ensure the best quality care.
Ask any questions you have and be ready to recieve the truth even if it’s not what you’re hoping to hear. Dr. Toma will be very honest with you to ensure the best form of treatment.
We started with bc pills for 2 weeks, then went in for a scan and began injections. We were using follistim 225 and Menopur 75 daily. We also did estradiol and had an ultrasound on days 2, 5, 7, 9, and 11. We introduced Ganirelix on day 6 and used daily until day 11. We triggered with lupron (hcg) on day 12 and had our retrieval on day 14. At our scans, we were measuring around 18 mature follicles, however at retrieval, some were empty so we only had 8 mature eggs. Only 3 fertilized and only one grade 3a made it to freeze on day 5. We did a frozen transfer and carried the baby to 8 week 4 days when we saw there was no longer a heartbeat.
The monitoring appointments were very quick and efficient. They were by walk ins from 8-10am and I would get there by 75 to be the first one seen. I was usually out by 8:30 if bloodwork was done as well.
I don’t remember exact costs but it was significantly lower than my previous IVF cycle with Carolina Conceptions. I want to say it was around $11,000.
I have no opinions because we only had 1 embryo to transfer.

1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Sometimes there's a wait but your usually seen fairly quickly especially when your having to go for your ultrasounds and bloodwork during the cycle you're in and out [NCCRM] which is awesome! ... Had to be in by 9:30 to re ieve blood results by the end of the day but you had lean way a little ... Carla is wonderful and was always there to answer any questions or problems that I had during my cycle
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Sometimes there's a wait but your usually seen fairly quickly especially when your having to go for your ultrasounds and bloodwork during the cycle you're in and out which is awesome! .......................
He took the time to walk us through the process.
He was to the point, which is great I am an adult and I prefer not to have anything sugar coated. We knew our risks and chances before we even started the process. We went through ivf and had a failed cycle but we plan on going back for another cycle this year and I am choosing to stick with the same clinic I did the first go around. Hes a brilliant man and I trust his decisions fully.
Avoid the bad reviews on him. Hes too the point but that doesn't make him rude, just honest. I would much rather have someone tell me okay here's your chances of having a child rather than someone blowing smoke because they want my money.
My treatment consisted of gonal f and menopur. Then ganerillix shot leading up to egg retrieval. I responded very well to this treatment, they retrieved 23 eggs from it. To prepare for my transfer I was taking progesterone shots daily and estrogen shots twice weekly. I also used the estring preparing for transfer and after transfer.
Had to pay for ivf and medication. Also monitoring and management of cycle. I spent around 10 grand altogether.
At my age and the fact that my issue is a tubal factor we decided one embryo. Especially with it being my first cycle it was the better option since multiple embryos could lead to multiple births

1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
We sat in the waiting room and they [North Carolina Center for Repro Med] called us back in the order we arrived [for monitoring appointments]. ... The women at the front desk are all so nice. I always felt welcomed and cared for. Communication with them can be a little rough. ... Carla was hands down incredible. She is an absolute angel and has so many patients and works so hard to respond to emails and phone calls in a timely fashion.
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
They have the best doctors and staff. The women at the front desk are all so nice. I always felt welcomed and cared for. Communication with them can be a little rough. The nurses are so busy sometimes they miss a voicemail. I learned if you emailed your nurse she answered much quicker because she can multitask when responding via email. Communication improved a lot once I did this and if you need to speak to someone on the phone tell them it is an emergency.
As Dr. Toma was doing my embryo transfer he kept referring to himself as "the best", which was slightly off putting. But he must have been right because my transfer worked and I will 100% return to see him in the future.
Carla was hands down incredible. She is an absolute angel and has so many patients and works so hard to respond to emails and phone calls in a timely fashion. I had an issue once and she called me back at 11:30 at night. She has always taken care of everything and I never had a single issue with her. The other nurse coordinator whose name I cant remember was terrible. 2 seperate times when she was on call I didnt get test results I needed and had to wait all weekend until Carla was back in the office. But again, Carla is amazing!
He is very impersonal. A little like a robot. He is, however, extremely good at his job. If you want a very personal doctor we spoke with another within the clinic we liked, but dr Toma is obviously in charge and calls all the shots. He was always thorough and I appreciated how straight forward he was with medical details.
The clinic is very busy. If you need assistance and are having trouble getting called back email your nurse coordinator. Carla is AMAZING. You wont speak with your doctor directly very often but your nurse will be your best friend!
I did a low stim or mini ivf cycle. All meds were included with this cycle. We chose this because I have Pcos and my AMH was so high. Despite being low stim I still produced 30 eggs. I took 1 vial of menopur daily and I think 100 of gonal f. I was allowed to mix the shots and injected in my arm. Ganirelix was added 4 days before retrieval and I triggered with lupron. Of those 30 eggs, 19 were mature, 17 fertilized, and 7 embryos were frozen. I did one transfer and it took and I am currently pregnant.
We sat in the waiting room and they called us back in the order we arrived. I never waited too long and my nurse coordinator was the one that did the ultrasound so I always had the information right away.
I paid $5900 up front that included all procedures and medication. I paid an additional $450 for freezing more than 2 eggs. I also paid $60 for an initial consult, maybe 100 for the medication class, and $300 each for my husband and I to have bloodwork ran.
My husband wanted to transfer 2 embryos in the hopes of having multiples so we could pay for less treatment. However due to my young age and good health I agreed with my doctor that implanting 2 embryos was too risky because twin pregnancies are harder on both you and the babies.

Uterine Fibroids, Other
the nurses [at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine] are friendly, show empathy and are professionals...I consider it a very good option to attend, all are respectful and professional, the only thing that gave me a little difficulty is that I am Hispanic and there nobody speaks Spanish, so I had to take someone to translate. But everything else was excellent service...They treat me with respect, they called me by my name and they were always professionals
Uterine Fibroids, Other
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
the nurses are friendly, show empathy and are professionals.
He is a serious doctor, very professional, he gave me confidence and hope. It is seen that he has a lot of experience and I made the quick diagnosis, I did surgery and everything went very well. I consider him to be the best doctor in this region. Other people recommended it to me because they achieved good results with their treatments.
Have confidence and faith in Dr. Toma, but especially in God, and during the treatment are as calm as possible.
First appointment, I reviewed my medical history, gave his diagnosis, scheduled a surgery, after the recovery, started the treatment with blood analysis, aultrasonido, then explained how to give me the injections and the amounts, during the process I drew blood in days Later, after I had the ovules removed, the second part of the medication was started to prepare and transfer the embryos. We managed to make 4 embryos of good quality and 4 of lower quality. In the transfer they gave me 2 embryos, but it does not result in a positive pregnancy. So they still keep 2 frozen. I do not remember the names of the medicines.
4,950 FIV + medications, and payment of initial consultations. 450 consultation
The doctor explained how many and because he was going to transfer 2. He said that for my case it was the best, since I have a bicornuate uterus.
Cary

The clinic [NCCRM-Cary] has a patient portal, which is helpful. They are very organized and make infertility treatment affordable to everyone. All of the staff are friendly and knowledgeable. At times, I had to wait longer than expected, but it was for legitimate reasons like the doctor being in an emergency surgery. Overall, the clinic is great and I would recommend to friends and family.
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic has a patient portal, which is helpful. They are very organized and make infertility treatment affordable to everyone. All of the staff are friendly and knowledgeable. At times, I had to wait longer than expected, but it was for legitimate reasons like the doctor being in an emergency surgery. Overall, the clinic is great and I would recommend to friends and family.
I was always greeted by name with a smile when I walked in. Each staff person was friendly and seemed genuinely interested in me and remembered things about me each time.
Carla was amazing. She was always so personable and hard working. She would always call when she said she would and I could call her with any questions I had. Carla explained things to me along the way and made sure that I understood the protocol completely. Every clinic would be lucky to have a Carla!
Dr. Toma presents the facts and is very frank with his patients. He is very thorough and takes into account all of your medical history, diet, etc. He also shares about his own family and tries to help you understand the process so that you can make an informed decision based on what is best for your family. Dr. Toma understands that finances are a huge reason why people are not able to do fertility treatments and tries to make procedures affordable for everyone.
Expect Dr. Toma to be a straight shooter. He knows his stuff and he will give you the facts....good, bad, or ugly. That’s what I like about him.
I don’t remember this information and do not have access to it at this time (not at home).
Monitoring was during the morning hours. There were always a couple of others there for monitoring but I never had to wait very long to be seen.
IVF cost just under $4k plus medications. This was the most affordable option in our area, by far.
Dr. Toma is supportive of transferring two embryos if you are over 35.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
This clinic [NC Center for Reproductive Med-Cary] is always there for you and I need given time, their responses are usually very quick and the staff as a whole is just always ready to help and answer any questions you have. They are always available even on holidays and Only a couple times today I have to call the answerin only a couple times today have to call the on call service before I got a response but that was usually only when Rochelle was on call. Carla is seriously one of the best nurses I’ve ever met
European, Latino
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is always there for you and I need given time, their responses are usually very quick and the staff as a whole is just always ready to help and answer any questions you have. They are always available even on holidays and Only a couple times today I have to call the answerin only a couple times today have to call the on call service before I got a response but that was usually only when Rochelle was on call. Carla is seriously one of the best nurses I’ve ever met
He was very blunt in his consultation of expectations which may come off to some people as cocky but I felt more comfortable knowing that he was successful . He and his team seemed to make sure they were available at all times for you Regardless of the day or time
Carlo was absolutely impeccably amazing and made the whole process so much more stress-free than I would’ve expected. She was always very professional and compassionate. Rochelle that works in place of her and very few instances where is sometimes nice but her bed Side manner was not nearly as good as Carlas
I like how direct he was as well as thorough with everything he did to make sure you have the best possible outcome. When we were asking certain questions that pertain to the embryos he was upfront and honest in saying that there are people smarter than him that make the decisions for the best possible outcomes which proved to be true . His personality is pretty straightforward which to me is a positive because I want somebody that is not going to dance around when you’re trying to get answers
He is very directive in the way he speaks but is honest
The strategy of a freeze all cycle is that it will allow you to come down off of all the hormones to create the embryos so that your body is more receptive to carrying the embryos. I firmly believe that this angle of how they do you freeze all cycles is why they have such great results at their clinic
The entire IVF procedure was completely out of pocket however they gave you plenty of details of how to pay for it with financing companies as well as cash discount options
He was open to allowing us to transfer up to two embryos and told us that it was up to the embryologist of which ones they would transfer because they have an algorithm of what will produce the best results
Cary

If you don't get a call back within 3 hours of leaving a message [at NC Ctr Repro Med - Cary] call again until you get someone. They are sometimes lax in returning calls, depending on what the call was for. The reception staff, particularly Brenda, are awesome! The nurses and nurse practitioners are mostly (with one notable exception) wonderful caring people who truly listen...
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
If you don't get a call back within 3 hours of leaving a message call again until you get someone. They are sometimes lax in returning calls, depending on what the call was for. The reception staff, particularly Brenda, are awesome! The nurses and nurse practitioners are mostly (with one notable exception) wonderful caring people who truly listen. Such a shame their doctor doesn't do likewise.
His PA took one look at my age, said that she thought I was too old and that he would refuse treatment. He came in and started to list all the reasons a woman of my age couldn't carry a pregnancy without taking into account my family history of older women as mothers, or the fact of my wife being my donor. He simply ploughed ahead with his own agenda, and in the end, despite us jumping through all his hoops, passing his tests and a cardiological exam, he still pulled the plug a week or so before our cycle was due to begin - this /after/ we had paid out of pocket for all his diagnostic testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Folita Sherman)
Folita was very open and a good communicator on the few occasions we saw her, during our 'class' and when we asked questions of her. It was wrong that it was given to her to pass on Dr Toma's decision. He should have made that call himself, rather than expect her to make that telephone call.
Our first impression of him was that he was rude, dismissive and sarcastic. We are a same sex couple and planned on co-pregnancy, using my (younger) wife's eggs, with me carrying the pregnancy. He took no notice of this at first - not really until we practically 'beat him round the head' with the information. He walked into the room and his first words to us were, "Well I guess you've heard the bad news?" in an overly cheery voice completely lacking in anything even approaching compassion. When we finally got him to 'listen' to us, he relented slightly and listed all the tests that we would have to have/pass before we could proceed. The first of those was for me to be seen by a cardiologist to ensure my heart was strong enough to carry a pregnancy. I was referred to a local cardiologist (of his choice) where I had a stress echo test which revealed that my heart/condition of my heart was normal. The cardiologist said we could go ahead and she would inform Dr Toma. On the assumption that NCCRM would inform us whether that clearance had been received, we made (and were allowed to make) appointments for a) psych eval, b) Donor eval/sonogram for my wife (who is technically my donor), c) education classes regarding medication and administration of medication and d) saline ultrasound for me. He then said he had not seen the cardiologist report and he would 'need to.' but still sent us from the office with prescription for birth control, to synchronize my cycle with my wife's so we could have simultaneous procedures. I had to chase the cardiology report - there was no follow up on the part of NCCRM - and a week, perhaps 2 after I know the report was sent to them (the receptionist called me to tell me they had it), I had a call AT WORK from one of the clinical staff who told me that he had 'advised against' proceeding with the cycle. No one could or would give me more information than to tell me that it was due to the words 'high risk pregnancy' being a part of the cardiologist report, (I've since spoken with her, and she informed me she was basically quoting statistics in that part of her report not referencing me personally). Dr Toma wanted us to come into the office (and presumably pay another almost $200 consultation fee) just for him to tell us no to our faces. We declined/refused that appointment, as we feel that based on our previous experiences with him (numbering 2 occasions we had seen him), he would just continue to be uncompassionate, obstructive, dismissive and rude. When I went in for my Saline Ultrasound, and he came into the room, he did not knock at all, (and could have potentially exposed me to others in the facility had I not been covered), almost knocked my wife over with the door, he opened it so abruptly, and was terse, asking questions to which he had already received the answers, all while conducting the ultrasound. He was not at all gentle... inserting the speculum without warning, manipulating the internal ultrasound want roughly, and generally demonstrating little care or compassion. I felt like a piece of meat. We paid out of pocket for all of this testing, and feel that he knew very well he was going to say no, from the outset, no matter the outcome of the tests, so as well as feeling emotionally brutalized, we also feel financially cheated, and taken advantage of.
Seek another doctor, do not use him.
We did not get so far as to begin any cycles, just the 'diagnostic' testing. Donor ultrasound, and saline ultrasound for the recipient.
It was all out of pocket for us. Initial consult $165, a whole day of testing, psych evaluation and class $465 and Saline ultrasound $450
Cary

Overall the clinic [North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine] is wonderful, it is clean, neat, organized and well staffed and all the staff is polite and kind and they all care about their patients feelings and what they are going through. I would recommend tis clinic to anyone that is going through fertility issues...They [nurses] were great,helpful, and considered my feelings and what I was going through.
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Overall the clinic is wonderful, it is clean, neat, organized and well staffed and all the staff is polite and kind and they all care about their patients feelings and what they are going through. I would recommend tis clinic to anyone that is going through fertility issues.
He was very kind and he cared about my feelings, he was very helpful and he wanted but the best treatment for me and he never gave up on me and he still hasn't, also he has a big heart.
They were great,helpful, and considered my feelings and what I was going through.
Dr. Toma is a great Doctor his experience with fertility is amazing he knows what he is doing and treats his patients with the up most respect. He made me feel comfortable with any procedure and he is trustworthy and stands by his words he was great with me and my partner. I would recommend me him to anyone and exactly I recommend him to my best friend and she is very satisfied.
That he is full of great knowledge and care about your feeling.
He did my tubal reserval and he did the HSG test which resulted that everything was still good, he find a polyp in my utrenus and it had to be removed by my ob/gyn he than asked that my OB put me on clomid and if needed to follow back up with him. I have appointment on the 21st of March to see him to consider IVF Because we haven't gotten pregnant yet but the cost is very overwhelming and he just spent so much on the one surgery and the second surgery and as well on all the meds. I trust Dr. Toma and that's why I would like for him to do my IVF.
5300 dollars for my surgery, and than my HSG was 216.00 my insurance covered the rest.

2013 - 2014
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Toma really took the time to listen and was no nonsense...The nursing staff was for sure a great strength for this clinic [North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine]. Everyone I interacted with was so kind and compassionate. I felt like I had my very own cheerleaders. The facility had everything you needed as well, so it was nice to be able to go to the clinic for the IVF procedure. I was a bit odd that it shared space with a plastic surgery office as well. I felt more vulnerable knowing that people there were not all there for the same reason.
2013 - 2014
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The nursing staff was for sure a great strength for this clinic. Everyone I interacted with was so kind and compassionate. I felt like I had my very own cheerleaders. The facility had everything you needed as well, so it was nice to be able to go to the clinic for the IVF procedure. I was a bit odd that it shared space with a plastic surgery office as well. I felt more vulnerable knowing that people there were not all there for the same reason.
Dr. Toma really took the time to listen and was no nonsense. I had done my research and work by this time and so I had a lot of questions and he was willing to answer all of them. I always saw Dr. Toma anytime I came in for a check-up or procedure, even if it was just to say hi how are you feeling? That meant a lot to me. I also had an amazing dedicated nurse that was so kind and compassionate.
My assigned nurse was amazing! Carla was compassionate, kind, cheerful, and always willing to answer my questions. She saw me after every visit even if to say hi and sat down with me if I wanted to talk about the procedures, or side effects or anything like that. She was the best medical staff I have ever had.
Dr. Toma was very honest and straight forward, he was not afraid to give me all of the information, risks and all. He was willing to answer all of my questions and hear my concerns. Sometimes I did feel like he thought I wasn't aggressive enough with my treatment because he would try to push me toward trying something more each time but we had our financial situation and our sanity to consider. In the end, he was supportive of our decision.
Do your research, ask the questions that you need to ask. Don't feel like you have to agree to all treatments presented, they are options and if you don't feel comfortable doing them yet, then take your time.
First month was on Clomid because Dr. Toma wanted to see what baseline looked like for me. Dr. Toma also insisted I go back on metformin at 1500 mg/day because that was the highest dose I tolerated. Second month he suggested IVF or ovarian drilling because he said I couldn't take anymore Clomid. I had reached the max I could take before I significantly increased my risk of ovarian/uterine cancer. We decided on IVF. After IVF failed, we assessed what might have gone wrong and Dr. Toma suspected endometriosis so he recommended the ovarian drilling procedure and diagnostic laparascopy and hysteroscopy. The procedure confirmed endometriosis diagnosis as well as uterine fibroids. Dr. Toma suggested another round of IVF but we declined due to financial reasons. We decided to try IUI + femara instead, and another negative pregnancy result. After that we were emotionally spent and did two more months on Femera with successful ovulation and no positive pregnancy results. Then we stopped treatment all together.
We were given slots in the early morning for ultrasounds that made it convenient to schedule work around and they were usually on time. Only once or twice I was delayed for work by 45 minutes. Blood work was also convenient and quick. I was never delayed for blood draws.
Doctor visits, ultrasounds, and labwork were covered. the IVF procedure was out of pocket and was $5000. The injectables were covered 80% so we ended up paying close to $2000 for those. IUI was not covered and we paid $600/cycle. The surgery was not entirely covered and we had to pay close to $2800.

2017 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Immunological
Have to call [North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine] multiple times for prior authorizations for meds to be sent to pharmacy. With stalled hcg, I wasn’t called with latest results, and would call but never receive a callback. Ended up seeking care with my gyn, then had methotrexate for ectopic pregnancy...$6300 for IVF FET $2325...pts must advocate for their care as communication is sometimes lacking. Sometimes I feel as though I’m no longer important to them after a miscarriage. Infertility is hard enough, sometimes patients need a little more tlc.
2017 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Immunological
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Again, pts must advocate for their care as communication is sometimes lacking. Sometimes I feel as though I’m no longer important to them after a miscarriage. Infertility is hard enough, sometimes patients need a little more tlc.
I’ve had to advocate for my own healthcare on numerous occasions. Most notably with a stalled hcg after a pregnancy before the initiation of IVF (with femara prescribed by my obgyn). It was stalled for 8 weeks, I would never receive a callback from nccrm. I had to seek care elsewhere with my obgyn, only to find a “structure” in my left tube d/t ectopic. I was then treated with methotrexate.
Nurses are sweet, but sometimes lack in communication due to the business of the clinic. Why patients must advocate for their own care.
He’s very blunt and not delicate in communication, which is ok for me. I have RPL and question doses on my treatment, we started lovenox and steroids for second FET, no change. Miscarried at the same gestational age as first FET.
Be your own advocate, ask the questions, and don’t let anyone dismiss your concerns.
One egg retrieval with standard stimulation drugs. First FET resulted in my 3rd miscarriage. Then completed testing for RPL, two positives lab results. Treatment with lovenox and steroids, unsuccessful. We have only one more try with our remaining two embryos. Then we simply cannot afford another round. Initial excitement turns to fear and now to utter emptiness and sadness.
$6300 for IVF FET $2325
Cary

I loved the clinic [North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine-Cary]. The only thing I would suggest is that the price stay the same. If I come in and it’s offered at a certain price at my original visit it shouldn’t go up by the time I start my meds. This did happen to me but it was only a minor jump... Cost was around $6500 for IVF cycle not including meds This included monitoring and ultrasounds
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I loved the clinic. The only thing I would suggest is that the price stay the same. If I come in and it’s offered at a certain price at my original visit it shouldn’t go up by the time I start my meds. This did happen to me but it was only a minor jump
With this being my 3rd fertility doc I wanted a doctor that treated me like family like they cared. Dr Toma is the only doctor that acted like they cared about my outcome
I cannot day enough good things about Carla. This can be a crazy experience with lots of knowledge to retain. Any time I had a question I reached out to Carla and she responded so quickly. I looked forward to seeing her every time I went and she knows her stuff inside and out
Some said Toma was a tough Doc. I absolutely loved him from day 1. He listed to what I wanted to do offered suggestions but then let me make the final decision. That meant a lot to me to have a doc on my side willing to try what I wanted. At the past two doctors they basically suggested egg donation and didn’t want to entertain me using my own eggs. Toma suggested some supplements to improve the egg quality and then we moved forward with what I desired
Be honest with him. If you are not completely healthy be prepared for him to tell you to get healthy. He only wants the best possible results for you and in order to achieve that you need to take care of your body
Cary

I loved Brenda, the front desk lady. She was so helpful and very nice. The facility [NC CRM] itself was great! Well kept and made you feel welcomed...The monitoring process was first come first serve within certain hours which worked for me since i had to drive 2.5 hours to get there...[Nurse] Carla was great! She answered every question and made sure to repeat instructions to make sure i understood. She always called me back and was very nice and caring. She showed my husband a good technique to give me the shots...
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I loved Brenda, the front desk lady. She was so helpful and very nice. The facility itself was great! Well kept and made you feel welcomed
I understand he sees a lot of patients but while he was doing my saline ultrasound he started asking me questions that he already asked me before. He should have known all that information already.
He wasn't very involved, he communicated with me through the Medical Assistant. I never really sat down with him and talked about my care, it was all through her and the nurses. I was referred to him by a friend and I trusted that he is good at what he does but his communication with patients or at least with me could have been better.
To demand to talk to him instead of the medical assistant
I don't remember exact dosages but i did have to increase my usage at one point
I paid about $4000 for the cycle plus $800 for cyst aspiration plus $600 for sperm analysis $60 for medicine class $165 for initial counseling and the medicine i paid about $4000 to the pharmacy Carla sent my prescription to.
We never spoke about the number of embryo transfer. I was expecting 2 embryos to be transferred at one time but only 1 embryo survived so that wasn't even a factor
Greensboro

He [Dr. Gerald Mulvaney] was very sweet and direct. But would have preferred to have him more involved. After canceling IVF, he did not provide many options afterwards. I thought he was great, but I was much more pleased getting other opinions and options elsewhere.... IVF was postponed a month due to my AMH results. I was told to take 75mg of DHEA for a month. Then we started IVF at max dosages and injecting in the arm muscles. With not much affect in the beginning, they added days to my cycle to extend it to try and produce follicles. Day 8/9 they cancelled my cycle with 1 follicle only growing.
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Front desk staff and office staff are only sometimes polite and efficient. At other times they are rude and disorganized.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gerald Mulvaney (deceased) at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Not much communication directly through him.
How was your experience with Gerald Mulvaney (deceased) at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine?
He was very sweet and direct. But would have preferred to have him more involved. After canceling IVF, he did not provide many options afterwards. I thought he was great, but I was much more pleased getting other opinions and options elsewhere.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gerald Mulvaney (deceased) at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Ask questions
Describe the protocols Gerald Mulvaney (deceased) used in your cycles at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gerald Mulvaney (deceased) at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
$5,000 ivf not including meds
Gerald Mulvaney (deceased)
Cary

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Gerald Mulvaney (deceased) at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.

6 Eggs Frozen
The clinic [North Carolina Center for Repro Med] is good at communicating with its patients. We are contacted daily about any changes to our protocol. Our nurse is always available via email. The receptionist would always greet me with a smile and get us checked in a quickly as possible.... The cost was very reasonable. We paid $3999 for one full cycle which on included retrieval, transfer, and monitoring.... [Nursing Staff] Very caring and compassionate.
6 Eggs Frozen
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is good at communicating with its patients. We are contacted daily about any changes to our protocol. Our nurse is always available via email. The receptionist would always greet me with a smile and get us checked in a quickly as possible.
The team was great. Dr. Toma was straightforward and very knowledgeable and thorough.
Very caring and compassionate.
Dr. Toma is straightforward. He does not treat his patients like a number. He is very knowledgeable and thorough and makes sure that his patients understand the procedures. I was having some complications early in my pregnancy. He was truly encouraging, but also explained to me how this could play out. I would highly recommend this
Please be patient. This journey is not an easy one and can be enduring. Follow Dr. Tomas orders and trust him.

2011 - 2013
2 IUI, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Easy to work with and friendly. The clinic [North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine] is well-run and accommodating. Very organized. Flexible hours. Knowledgeable nurses. No billing problems....[Nurses were] Very good. Knowledgeable... His [Dr. Toma] treatment plan didn't waste time or money in my opinion. It was a great experience. Dr. [Toma] advised the method with the highest probability of success....Recommended treatment aimed at desired results
2011 - 2013
2 IUI, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Easy to work with and friendly. The clinic is well-run and accommodating. Very organized. Flexible hours. Knowledgeable nurses. No billing problems.
He was candid, direct, concerned. Recommended treatment aimed at desired results
Describe your experience with your nurse at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Carla (I think))
Very good. Knowledgeable
Candid, direct. Honest. I prefer direct over bedside manner, but if you are a patient who requires a lot of warmth, he may not be the greatest choice. His treatment plan didn't waste time or money in my opinion. It was a great experience. Dr. [Toma] advised the method with the highest probability of success. I appreciated his insight and his direct manner. I was seeking results. We tried a few Hail Mary IUI and Cloud attempts before going all in with in vitro. After the first unsuccessful round of IVF, Dr. Toma removed uterine fibroids and we tried again. This time with success.
Trust him
I don't recall specifics
Cost of egg donor, men's, embryo transfer
He always transferred 3 in order to achieve optimal results

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
I think they [North Carolina Ctr for Reproductive Medicine] may need another full time nurse the one they have is swamped I think but she is very nice... I think he is a good Doctor. I think he may not have a great sense of compassion but he keeps it real. I think he has great reviews and we will never get everything we expect but he has done great so far. Still in the early stages.... he reccomend that we start as soon as possible due to age and fibroids.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I think that you have to go find out for yourself. People look at things different and want different. So far I am happy with everything. I dont know what else to say. You have to make that decision on your own
I think he is a great Dr just kind of rushed through
I think they may need another full time nurse the one they have is swamped I think but she is very nice
If you don't u derstand ask questions and have some prepared when you go.
Well he reccomend that we start as soon as possible due to age and fibroids. We started put treatmeant with vitimans and CoQ10 prenatal fish oil vitamin D, C & E oval vit
We haven't discussed that yet