400 Ashville Ave
1517 North Church Street
Greensboro, NC 27405
336-273-4490

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
I’ve had to advocate for my own healthcare on numerous occasions [with Dr. Sameh Toma]. Most notably with a stalled hcg after a pregnancy before the initiation of IVF (with femara prescribed by my obgyn). It was stalled for 8 weeks, I would never receive a callback from nccrm. I had to seek care elsewhere with my obgyn, only to find a “structure” in my left tube d/t ectopic. I was then treated with methotrexate...He’s very blunt and not delicate in communication, which is ok for me. I have RPL and question doses on my treatment, we started lovenox and steroids for second FET, no change. Miscarried at the same gestational age as first FET.
Have to call [North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine] multiple times for prior authorizations for meds to be sent to pharmacy. With stalled hcg, I wasn’t called with latest results, and would call but never receive a callback. Ended up seeking care with my gyn, then had methotrexate for ectopic pregnancy...$6300 for IVF FET $2325...pts must advocate for their care as communication is sometimes lacking. Sometimes I feel as though I’m no longer important to them after a miscarriage. Infertility is hard enough, sometimes patients need a little more tlc.
How was your experience with Sameh Toma at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sameh Toma at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Be your own advocate, ask the questions, and don’t let anyone dismiss your concerns.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sameh Toma at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine?
I’ve had to advocate for my own healthcare on numerous occasions. Most notably with a stalled hcg after a pregnancy before the initiation of IVF (with femara prescribed by my obgyn). It was stalled for 8 weeks, I would never receive a callback from nccrm. I had to seek care elsewhere with my obgyn, only to find a “structure” in my left tube d/t ectopic. I was then treated with methotrexate.
Describe the protocols Sameh Toma used in your cycles at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
One egg retrieval with standard stimulation drugs. First FET resulted in my 3rd miscarriage. Then completed testing for RPL, two positives lab results. Treatment with lovenox and steroids, unsuccessful. We have only one more try with our remaining two embryos. Then we simply cannot afford another round. Initial excitement turns to fear and now to utter emptiness and sadness.
Describe your experience with your nurse at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Carla)
Nurses are sweet, but sometimes lack in communication due to the business of the clinic. Why patients must advocate for their own care.
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Again, pts must advocate for their care as communication is sometimes lacking. Sometimes I feel as though I’m no longer important to them after a miscarriage. Infertility is hard enough, sometimes patients need a little more tlc.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sameh Toma at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
$6300 for IVF FET $2325
What specific things went wrong at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Have to call multiple times for prior authorizations for meds to be sent to pharmacy. With stalled hcg, I wasn’t called with latest results, and would call but never receive a callback. Ended up seeking care with my gyn, then had methotrexate for ectopic pregnancy.
Cary

do your research, know what your diagnoses are, and advocate for yourself [with Dr. Toma]...Telling a patient their result is normal when the pathology report states otherwise is unbecoming and upset me greatly. I am currently 2 weeks post op from a laparoscopy and hysterscopy that was done at another clinic where they had found an endometrial polyp the size of a grape plus endometriosis in my pelvis. I requested for my medical record to pass on to my current fertility doctor and found a few errors- some as impactful as missing medication allergies, diagnosis, and medical history...
You have to advocate for yourself [at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine]. The clinic is busy so anticipate them running behind. Miss Brenda is very matronly and helpful...My results for the endometrial biopsy came back positive for an endometrial polyp. Drs Tomah and Hoffman did not want to treat it...While Folita and Carla [nurses] were compassionate at times, some times it felt like the other MAs, nurses were very cold especially over the patient portal. I felt like I was being gas-lighted when I was told my biopsy report was normal and it wasn’t...The clinic's location was beneficial for my husband; the front desk will let you know if Dr Toma is running behind. The waiting room is very spa like and comforting. However there are no amenities except for water so be prepared. I did find it relaxing though. There is a spa across the hallway.
Bottom line- he will not coddle or sugar coat stuff for you! He can be abrasive at first, but his mission is to get you pregnant with your take home baby. I appreciated his candor to a point- then I felt like he was trying to squeeze money out of me. I do give him credit for finding out what was wrong with me initially, but the drive to fix it was not there. I will say I did not have a good experience with Dr Hoffman. During the saline sonogram and endometrial biopsy he was rough with the speculum and made me feel like I was inconveniencing him (I had undiagnosed endometriosis). He at least apologized, but the damage was done. I had to work with my pelvic PT after the trauma healed. My results for the endometrial biopsy came back positive for an endometrial polyp. Drs Tomah and Hoffman did not want to treat it.
Have your questions ready, do your research, know what your diagnoses are, and advocate for yourself.
He sits down and tells you what his plan is for you and goes by what the test results showed. He’s quick to go off the labs that are in front of him and not delve deeper into the background. You have to advocate for yourself. The clinic is busy so anticipate them running behind. Miss Brenda is very matronly and helpful.
Femara, Ovidrel, Claritin and Medrol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
While Folita and Carla were compassionate at times, some times it felt like the other MAs, nurses were very cold especially over the patient portal. I felt like I was being gas-lighted when I was told my biopsy report was normal and it wasn’t.
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance covered majority of my procedures, my husband had to pay out of pocket because they do not accept Tricare. We paid out $600 for his SA, DNA frag (which we never received the results for) and freeze.
Describe Sameh Toma's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
None
Cary

His [Ddr. Toma's] PA took one look at my age, said that she thought I was too old and that he would refuse treatment. He came in and started to list all the reasons a woman of my age couldn't carry a pregnancy without taking into account my family history of older women as mothers, or the fact of my wife being my donor. He simply ploughed ahead with his own agenda, and in the end, despite us jumping through all his hoops, passing his tests and a cardiological exam, he still pulled the plug a week or so before our cycle was due to begin - this /after/ we had paid out of pocket for all his diagnostic testing...
If you don't get a call back within 3 hours of leaving a message [at NC Ctr Repro Med - Cary] call again until you get someone. They are sometimes lax in returning calls, depending on what the call was for. The reception staff, particularly Brenda, are awesome! The nurses and nurse practitioners are mostly (with one notable exception) wonderful caring people who truly listen...
Our first impression of him was that he was rude, dismissive and sarcastic. We are a same sex couple and planned on co-pregnancy, using my (younger) wife's eggs, with me carrying the pregnancy. He took no notice of this at first - not really until we practically 'beat him round the head' with the information. He walked into the room and his first words to us were, "Well I guess you've heard the bad news?" in an overly cheery voice completely lacking in anything even approaching compassion. When we finally got him to 'listen' to us, he relented slightly and listed all the tests that we would have to have/pass before we could proceed. The first of those was for me to be seen by a cardiologist to ensure my heart was strong enough to carry a pregnancy. I was referred to a local cardiologist (of his choice) where I had a stress echo test which revealed that my heart/condition of my heart was normal. The cardiologist said we could go ahead and she would inform Dr Toma. On the assumption that NCCRM would inform us whether that clearance had been received, we made (and were allowed to make) appointments for a) psych eval, b) Donor eval/sonogram for my wife (who is technically my donor), c) education classes regarding medication and administration of medication and d) saline ultrasound for me. He then said he had not seen the cardiologist report and he would 'need to.' but still sent us from the office with prescription for birth control, to synchronize my cycle with my wife's so we could have simultaneous procedures. I had to chase the cardiology report - there was no follow up on the part of NCCRM - and a week, perhaps 2 after I know the report was sent to them (the receptionist called me to tell me they had it), I had a call AT WORK from one of the clinical staff who told me that he had 'advised against' proceeding with the cycle. No one could or would give me more information than to tell me that it was due to the words 'high risk pregnancy' being a part of the cardiologist report, (I've since spoken with her, and she informed me she was basically quoting statistics in that part of her report not referencing me personally). Dr Toma wanted us to come into the office (and presumably pay another almost $200 consultation fee) just for him to tell us no to our faces. We declined/refused that appointment, as we feel that based on our previous experiences with him (numbering 2 occasions we had seen him), he would just continue to be uncompassionate, obstructive, dismissive and rude. When I went in for my Saline Ultrasound, and he came into the room, he did not knock at all, (and could have potentially exposed me to others in the facility had I not been covered), almost knocked my wife over with the door, he opened it so abruptly, and was terse, asking questions to which he had already received the answers, all while conducting the ultrasound. He was not at all gentle... inserting the speculum without warning, manipulating the internal ultrasound want roughly, and generally demonstrating little care or compassion. I felt like a piece of meat. We paid out of pocket for all of this testing, and feel that he knew very well he was going to say no, from the outset, no matter the outcome of the tests, so as well as feeling emotionally brutalized, we also feel financially cheated, and taken advantage of.
Seek another doctor, do not use him.
His PA took one look at my age, said that she thought I was too old and that he would refuse treatment. He came in and started to list all the reasons a woman of my age couldn't carry a pregnancy without taking into account my family history of older women as mothers, or the fact of my wife being my donor. He simply ploughed ahead with his own agenda, and in the end, despite us jumping through all his hoops, passing his tests and a cardiological exam, he still pulled the plug a week or so before our cycle was due to begin - this /after/ we had paid out of pocket for all his diagnostic testing.
We did not get so far as to begin any cycles, just the 'diagnostic' testing. Donor ultrasound, and saline ultrasound for the recipient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Folita Sherman)
Folita was very open and a good communicator on the few occasions we saw her, during our 'class' and when we asked questions of her. It was wrong that it was given to her to pass on Dr Toma's decision. He should have made that call himself, rather than expect her to make that telephone call.
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
If you don't get a call back within 3 hours of leaving a message call again until you get someone. They are sometimes lax in returning calls, depending on what the call was for. The reception staff, particularly Brenda, are awesome! The nurses and nurse practitioners are mostly (with one notable exception) wonderful caring people who truly listen. Such a shame their doctor doesn't do likewise.
It was all out of pocket for us. Initial consult $165, a whole day of testing, psych evaluation and class $465 and Saline ultrasound $450
What went wrong was due to Toma's inability to guide them to follow up with information from referrals that he had made. We should not have been 'allowed' to proceed with testing until he had the cardiologist report. If she sent that initially then it was lost, or failed to be scanned into notes. Dr Toma was not at all informed that we had gone through all the testing and classes on which he had insisted, so either the paperwork was not in the file, or he didn't bother to read it, (or his staff did not brief him) either way, the whole experience was soured by his attitude.