Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
Bay Shore
516-470-2229
285 Middle Country Road
Smithtown, NY 11787
(631) 650 2229
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish) to a friend?
The place [Northwell Health] is a factory and if you want very individualized personal care your not going to get it here... There are times when the nurses and doctors expect you to know what they’re doing and they don’t explain anything. You need to stop them and ask questions. You have to keep on track of the treatment plan as often times the nurses and doctors will ask you... “what are we doing again”. Very reassuring when your paying $17,000 out of pocket for treatment.
Describe your experience with Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
The place is a factory and if you want very individualized personal care your not going to get it here. I’m not sure about the other doctors in this office but with my doctor you just simply didn’t get it. You will be many of the other doctors during your time here and some are better than others. There are times when the nurses and doctors expect you to know what they’re doing and they don’t explain anything. You need to stop them and ask questions. You have to keep on track of the treatment plan as often times the nurses and doctors will ask you... “what are we doing again”. Very reassuring when your paying $17,000 out of pocket for treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
The clinic is like a factory. I have barely seen my actual doctor less than half the time I’m there. Dr. Hershlag never reviewed my file prior to meeting with me and forgot everything we discussed and the plan of action we finalized moving forward. The nurses were the only ones who knew everything and treated us like humans.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Jackie)
Nurses are very sweet and caring. Sometimes it’s difficult to get in touch with the nurse or clinic for that matter when you have an important question. I felt like my nurse was my dr and that I barely had a doctor. She did make one major mistake by sending the wrong requisition form to the PGS lab. This was resolved but created a 2 week setback for my first embryo transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
How was your experience with Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr. Hershlag seems to have good intentions, however has way too many patients that he can’t remember what he’s doing with everyone. There were several times where I had to remind him what we were doing which was very frustrating. All he had to do was take a look at notes from our previous meeting to prepare himself but he doesn’t. I’m just a number to him. Only really saw him for my embryo transfers. He didn’t do one of my egg retrieval’s and a nurse practitioner did my IUI... never saw him throughout both stim cycles or IUI cycle. I feel like my care was just basic protocol and not geared to me individually. The place is a factory.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Make sure you go into a meeting with him with written down specific questions and take notes of exactly what he says. Don’t let him rush you into a decision. Ask follow up questions. You have to be your own advocate.
Describe the protocols Avner Hershlag used in your cycles at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
I don’t believe there was a specific strategy... my two egg retrieval’s were basic protocol. The second cycle the only thing he did differently was stim me for a day longer and lowered my Menopur a little. First cycle we got only 1, 7day old embryo and second cycle 3, 6-7 day old embryos. We had a total of 22 eggs retrieved, both cycles combined. The first egg retrieval I was triggered with only 1,000 units of hcg which is why I think I barely had any mature eggs (4, from 12). The second cycle I was triggered with 10,000 units of hcg and had 6 out of 10 mature eggs. He was on vacation throughout my first cycle and I have no idea who was in charge of stimming and triggering me. Also first egg retrieval was done by a dr I’ve never met from the other clinic location.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
It was a factory... come on in between 7-8 am for blood and sono. Some days you would get in and out fast, others you would wait an hour. It’s hit or miss.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Our first ivf cycle was a PGS/PGD cycle that cost us $17,000. Meds are not included and that cost us about $4,000 (which we paid twice because we did two egg retrieval’s). The second egg retrieval was $10,000 because we had some credit from the first cycle. Our lab testing for 4 embryos (PGS/PGD) was $4,600 (coopergenomics). The first FET was included in the price and second FET was $4,000. Anesthesia for each egg retrieval was $500 each time.
Describe Avner Hershlag's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
He preferred eSET. The first FET was eSET because it was PGS/PGD normal and the second one we put in 2 embryos because 1 didn’t have enough data from the biopsy to be tested and we only had 2 left to transfer anyway. He didn’t want to do this but we insisted. Both FETs were failures and both had at least one PGS tested embryo transferred.
Manhasset
Jackie [at Northwell Health] is a great nurse but she is always busy and running around his sometimes she seems to care about you and sometimes she doesn’t. However, every time I need an answer on something I would email her and she would always answer or call back. I never had to wait for more than an hour for her response. She is great at that...After the egg retrieval the embryologist called with number of fertilized eggs and number of embryos but nothing else. How many were natural how many were ICSI’ed we had no clue. Questions were brushed off. We did not learn about our embryo grades after 2 failed transfer when we made an appointment to see Dr. Hershlag so he an explain to us. That was the only problem with this clinic, that part needs to be communicated better.
The staff is great and they are super nice to you. They remember you by name and always eager to help. However, it’s a very busy clinic so sometimes you are waiting for more than an hour. I think they are doing their best but it’s just impossible sometimes.
Dr. Hershlag always gives you a hug when he sees you and makes you feel that your success is very important to him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Jackie Nolan)
Jackie is a great nurse but she is always busy and running around his sometimes she seems to care about you and sometimes she doesn’t. However, every time I need an answer on something I would email her and she would always answer or call back. I never had to wait for more than an hour for her response. She is great at that.
Dr. Hershlag is a good doctor, no doubt. I feel confident to be under his care and believe in him. He makes me feel like I am his only patient, although it’s not always the case. Some visits he will ask a question that makes me feel like he doesn’t remember anything about me and the protocol he put me on. I do however understand that it is a very busy clinic and he can’t remember every detail about everyone unless he checks the chart. I wish he does check it before seeing me so that I don’t feel so confused at times. When my transfers did not work, he changed protocols each time which made me feel like he is proactive and is trying to achieve my pregnancy. After 2 failed transfers we asked for additional tests so we don’t go to the last embryo transfer blindly but he didn’t seem like he was eager to do it at all. I did not like that. Overall, he is a great doctor and I trust him I just wish the clinic wasn’t that busy so he could spend more time thinking of tests and other protocols that could change the outcome. In the end, I trust him and hope to be successful with him.
Ask questions and do your research. If you don’t understand something ask again. If you feel brushed off ask again. You are doing a major work so any answer that doesn’t explain anything needs to be asked again until you feel comfortable.
For my IUI, it was Clomid thy was used. For my IVF cycle, it was Gonal F.
It was great if it wasn’t too busy otherwise you would have to wait a bit. I always made it to work on time though. No complains
My insurance only covered diognostics and IUI, IVf and medication is out of pocket. $17K for cycle, $9K for medication so far, 1st transfer included, 5K per transfer after that, $300 per embryo for PGS.
Dr. Hershlag made it knows that he prefers a single embryo transfer but before transfer he asked if we want single or multiple embryo transfer.
Manhasset
The nursing staff [at North Shore] constantly seemed rushed and overworked. We repeatedly had to explain recent medications taken, problems with orders and other issues over and over, due to a lack of continuity...The office staff, nurses and doctors are extremely difficult to get on the phone. We experienced wait times of twenty minutes certain days. ...It was a packed office and a cattle call...review all billing carefully.
Terrible communication. No one mentioned the office would be closed for Martin Luther King day, which happened to be a key date for instructions in our process! After investigating this in person I was told someone should have picked up the phone and called you back. No one did. Expect to wait up to two hours if you have a Monday afternoon appointment. Please review all billing carefully.
Through the course of our IVF treatment, we only met with Dr. Hershlag twice over a period of 5 months. Often it was a struggle to receive timely and accurate information. The office staff, nurses and doctors are extremely difficult to get on the phone. We experienced wait times of twenty minutes certain days. Furthermore, the nurses did not accurately and efficiently communicate our medication needs to the pharmacy, which cost us additional expenses. There is not enough staff to deal with the volume of patients.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Jenny)
The nursing staff constantly seemed rushed and overworked. We repeatedly had to explain recent medications taken, problems with orders and other issues over and over, due to a lack of continuity.
Dr. Hershlag was not present for a large majority of our process. During the initial consult he did not take the time to thouroughly explain IUI or other options we could look into. We had recently experienced a miscarriage and I felt this was not investigated enough. After testing my sperm and simply telling us they were an “A plus” he looked to set us up on the IVF schedule. He did not perform any of the sonograms or even the egg retrieval, or even once bother to schedule an appointment to check in.
Please don’t expect to communicate or see him for almost all or most of the process.
I was sent to a urologist to check my prostatitis, given antiobiotics to treat a minor infection, and not checked before sperm donation again to make sure the infection was gone. We were instructed to use follistim, estradiol, progesterone in oil, and HGC shot.
It was a packed office and a cattle call. In one instance I had to ask a nurse to pull my wife’s chart so they could draw her blood.
PGS testing 300 testing per embryo. They would never give us the exact cost of a cycle. Insurance did cover a decent portion.
IVF, Embryo Freezing
The strengths of this clinic [North Shore Long Island Jewish] are the many locations. They have offices, 1 in manhattan, 1 in garden city, and 1 in manhasset. The nurses, andrologist, and sono technicians were all very kind caring and helpful. The nyc clinic is understaffed which makes for very long wait times. Each appointment I’ve waited atleast an hour to be seen. The front desk reception girls are over worked and thus can come off as rude. They are also not fully educated on the procedures and timelines. As a whole the office can feel frantic due to the under staffing which leads to less personal care.
IVF, Embryo Freezing
The strengths of this clinic are the many locations. They have offices, 1 in manhattan, 1 in garden city, and 1 in manhasset. The nurses, andrologist, and sono technicians were all very kind caring and helpful. The nyc clinic is understaffed which makes for very long wait times. Each appointment I’ve waited atleast an hour to be seen. The front desk reception girls are over worked and thus can come off as rude. They are also not fully educated on the procedures and timelines. As a whole the office can feel frantic due to the under staffing which leads to less personal care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
I felt the nurses, andrologist, and sono technician were caring but over worked so the care was quick and frantic at times. They also seem to be last minute. I feel the front staff was unorganized and at times rude.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
Melissa was amazing. She herself went through Ivf so was very understanding and easy to talk to. She was sympathetic and good at communicating next steps. Unfortunately she was over worked and overloaded with patients so the care would have been even better if this were not the case. Regardless she was caring and I really like her.
How was your experience with Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
I feel doctor singer is very kind and professional. I think he knows what he is talking about and very educated in all things IvF. He is direct and to the point and views the process as common. Although I like Dr. Singer I feel his bedside manner is lacking. I think he could be more compassionate and make a point to see a patient more than just at scheduled procedures. I met him at my first consultations and then not again until he was needed for my procedure.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Be prepared to wait for ALL appointments. The scheduling is not very organized and all staff from doctors to billing to reception are overworked.
Describe the protocols Tomer Singer used in your cycles at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
I am currently in my first cycle so I am unable to provide results. We will be using my husbands sperm which was retrieved through tese surgery and frozen. I will be taking FSH injections 150 and 150 of HMG. We will then do an egg retrieval and hopefully do a fresh transfer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
We were partially covered under Aetna insurance. We paid a portion of blood work, sonograms, egg retrieval, and fresh transfer costs. Sperm freezing and unfreezing, sperm storage, and embryo storage were all out of pocket costs which ran us just over $5,000
Describe Tomer Singer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
My doctor was open to both but did not properly educate me on the reasonings.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Calling the main number is annoying, but once your assigned a nurse you get a direct number. I also have the financial adviser and patient liaison for my doctor on speed dial. Everyone is super friendly. Once you start cycling you get to meet everyone...My nurse [at North Shore Long Island Jewish] was on top of everything and always got back to me when I left a message. I always felt better after talking to her. All the nurses there are great.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
He likes to give hugs to all his patients
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Jenny Cutolo)
My nurse was on top of everything and always got back to me when I left a message. I always felt better after talking to her. All the nurses there are great.
He's kind, compassionate and knows what he's doing. We didn't get off to the best start, but he grew on us. We waited almost 2 hours our first time and he didn't even apologize. I was also in denial about my infertility. Once I started my first cycle I felt more like I belonged there.
Stick with it, it might not work the first couple of times. He grew on me.
Cycle 1 was birth control protocol with 300 follostim and 150 menopur, garinelix and hcg trigger. 11 egg retrieved all mature, 7 fertilized, 6 blasts, 1 pgs tested normal embryo. Cycle 2 was microdose lupron and the above meds. Estrogen was high so stopped lupron. 13 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized, 4 blasts and 2 pgs tested normal embryos. 2 FET's with PIO IM shots, doxy, medrol and estrace. No pregnancy so far. I'm 43 . ***PS- I'm in the Warriors Facebook group, not sure where I'm supposed to put that in this survey.
Those were the easiest appointment to schedule. Usually no wait. They pretty much have that down in the morning.
my insurance had a 25k max which almost lasted 2 cycles
Since we did PGS he suggested 1 and we only wanted one at a time. First cycle we only had one anyway
Manhasset
the nurse practitioners are empathetic but they are highly unorganized and tend to run the office [North Shore] when they shouldn't ...i've had experiences where you ask them questions that they can't answer, and sometimes make stuff up...the clinic is very friendly and warm. The place is very clean and flows nicely, rarely have to wait a long time...they never seem to know what meds you are on when they meet with you...they seem really disorganized
the clinic is very friendly and warm. The place is very clean and flows nicely, rarely have to wait a long time....everyone always says hi the issue is that the dr or the nurses never seem to remember your story...even if they were to take 2 min before they see you to review your chart, it would be helpful, this doesn't ever seem to be the case
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
I was definitely treated like a human...everyone in the office is very friendly and ends up getting to know you, especially after 2 cycles
the nurse practitioners are empathetic but they are highly unorganized and tend to run the office when they shouldn't ...i've had experiences where you ask them questions that they can't answer, and sometimes make stuff up. I have also had instances where they aren't looking at your numbers as trends but instead just one value and making decisions that are incorrect based on that...during one of my transfers, I was told to stop taking progesterone...my levels went from over 100 to 50 to 2 in the course of 4 days...no one thought to look at the trend, instead she just saw the 50 and still advised me to stay off the med. They never review your chart before they speak to you...they never seem to know what meds you are on when they meet with you...they seem really disorganized
How was your experience with Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
in my experience, dr san roman is very warm and has a great bedside manner. He definitely has a bit of an ego and likes to recite his accolades almost every time my husband comes with me to our visits. he is incredibly sweet and seems to be very knowledgeable, however his office is a bit disorganized
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
be wary of the nurse practitioner's running the show...if things aren't going smoothly in your cycle, it is difficult to get in touch with him in the early stages...after going through a total of 2 ivf cycles and 4 failed transfers with pgs tested embryos, there is still a lack of continuity in the care that is received and the attention that is paid to the cycles
Describe the protocols Gabe San Roman used in your cycles at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
my first stim cycle, I was placed on 1 vial of menopur and 150 of follistum, but ended up doubling that dose 3 days in...stimmed for 14 days and got 8 eggs, 7 mature. My second stim cycle, I was placed on 2 menopur and 450 follistum and stimmed for 7 days and ended up with 7 eggs. I was told when I went for a second opinion that my second cycle was an incredibly high dose especially for someone with a high ovarian reserve. We also ran into a few bumps in the road with our transfers. Our second frozen transfer was rushed, ended up with a beta of 18, but my lining wasn't responding as well as it had in the past...that ended up being a chemical. The second ivf cycle with a fresh transfer, I was told to be on progesterone 2 times a day before the transfer by the nurse, then the dr said once a day...but discontinued everything due to high progesterone levels, in which my level went from over 100 to 50 then to 2...which was never going to sustain anything....
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
each stim cycle was around 15,000 an additional 4,000 for pgs testing and then an additional 350/embryo at the lab...also 500 for anesthesia for retrieval stim meds were not included in the 15,000
Describe Gabe San Roman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
he's preference is to transfer 1 embryo if they are pgs tested
Smithtown
The staff at the front desk [of North Shore] was always helpful and the nurses in the surgery room were so caring however; it was kind of like a factory feel at times because you were never sure what doctor you were seeing and at times they misplaced my paperwork which was a little unsettling...Jenny [nurse] was always willing to answer questions or provide information about my cycle however; there were some mistakes made in having me order medicine I never needed but on the other hand if I ran out of needed medication Jenny did try to help connect me to some extra meds if she had some available
The staff at the front desk was always helpful and the nurses in the surgery room were so caring however; it was kind of like a factory feel at times because you were never sure what doctor you were seeing and at times they misplaced my paperwork which was a little unsettling
During my first round with Dr Herslag he seemed really attentive and concerned about our process however; during the second round I feel he did not take an active interest in our case and after our second failed cycle he never even called to follow up or discuss next steps with us. When we reached out to follow up we got the runaround which made us want to consider starting treatment at another clinic
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Jenny )
Jenny was always willing to answer questions or provide information about my cycle however; there were some mistakes made in having me order medicine I never needed but on the other hand if I ran out of needed medication Jenny did try to help connect me to some extra meds if she had some available
At first we really liked Dr Herslag however after our second failed transfer he never called to follow up with us or to discuss another plan. When we reached out we got the runaround and were told to speak with nurses who were not even his direct nurse. I feel that a doctor should take the time to follow up with his patients especially after experiencing a loss like we did, by him not reaching out it made us feel we were not important to him and had us looking for another clinic.
Be prepared to be suffled around to various doctors during your office visits and make sure you are ok with taking the lead in your own treatment as he does not do much follow up with his patients, you will usually talk to other doctors/nurses to get the information that you need.
At first we tried 6 cycles of IUI which failed and then we did a frozen transfer cycle which also didn’t take. Dr. Herslag recommended me for uterine surgery to open up a blocked tube and then did another transfer which was unsuccessful
All the lab fees were out of pocket and insurance only covered 70%
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Always see a doctor for monitoring [at North Shore Long Island Jewish], though sometimes not your primary doctor. Patients in satellite offices need to go to Manhassat for at least some monitoring appointments and all procedures - Manhassat is definitely busier than Mineola, but still moves fairly quickly. Had a couple of issues with billing, but they were easily resolved. Robyn, who handles insurance logistics for the Mineola office, is excellent and helped me through a really confusing insurance policy.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Always see a doctor for monitoring, though sometimes not your primary doctor. Patients in satellite offices need to go to Manhassat for at least some monitoring appointments and all procedures - Manhassat is definitely busier than Mineola, but still moves fairly quickly. Had a couple of issues with billing, but they were easily resolved. Robyn, who handles insurance logistics for the Mineola office, is excellent and helped me through a really confusing insurance policy.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
I always saw a doctor for my monitoring appointments, and often that doctor was Dr. Mullin. She was super involved in my care, and always made me feel like I was her only patient (even though that obviously wasn't the case).
The nursing staff was overall great, though I thought Mary Jane was the stronger, better organized of the two (she was wonderful).
How was your experience with Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
I met with Dr. Mullin after leaving a different clinic (from which I had serious concerns about their level of care). She was matter of fact about my potential options for treatment, but listened to me about my concerns and wishes and responded appropriately and with empathy. Sje was involved with my care - which took place over the holidays - and never made me feel like a number or "just another" patient. She encouraged me to keep going with my retrieval when I considered cancelling it due to an unusual course of events during my stims phase. I went through with my retrieval only because of how much I trusted Dr. Mullin. The retrieval resulted in 9 embryos (8 PGS normal), and one current pregnancy. I would recommend Dr. Mullin to anyone in the area undergoing treatment for infertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Don't be afraid to say what you want out of treatment. Dr. Mullin will listen and let you know if it's possible - she won't just push her standard treatment without explanation or consideration to your wants/concerns.
Describe the protocols Christine Mullin used in your cycles at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Antagonist protocol; ICSI; PGS; FET with embryo glue. 21 eggs, 19 mature, 17 fertilized, 9 day 5/6 embryos, 8 PGS-normal.
Monitoring at Manhassat was generally during any window of time, definitely busier. Monitoring in Mineola was for a set time and a breeze.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Insurance covered all procedures except PGS and embryo glue. Total out of pocket was ~$5500, excluding deductibles and coinsurance. I believe i was quoted ~17k (plus medication costs) out of pocket if I didn't have insurance. They gave me the price information very early on in the process.
Describe Christine Mullin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
I strongly wanted to avoid the possibility of multiples, Dr. Mullin agreed with an eSet.
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
There are busy hours [at North Shore] so be sure to ask if it is a busy time when making your appointment - Mornings are typically a packed office. If you are going the route of donor eggs - their in house donor pool is not that big so go into that with a you can't be too choosy mindset unless you are willing to pay the extra expenses of going to an egg bank or hiring your own donor both of which can get quite costly as you will need to pay for them to go through the clinics approval process...Everyone in the office will know your name and will give you a big greeting when you arrive. The receptionist knows where everyone is in their cycle and the nurses are all fantastic. They listen and care...The nurses are fabulous at both offices - Mineola and Manhassat. They are caring and supportive and very comforting during a very difficult process. They are not the best communicators and sometimes forget to inform the rest of team about an appointment or a request you made so be sure to write down everything you discuss with them and which nurse you are talking with.
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
The clinic is clean and calming. There are busy hours so be sure to ask if it is a busy time when making your appointment - Mornings are typically a packed office. If you are going the route of donor eggs - their in house donor pool is not that big so go into that with a you can't be too choosy mindset unless you are willing to pay the extra expenses of going to an egg bank or hiring your own donor both of which can get quite costly as you will need to pay for them to go through the clinics approval process.
Dr Mullin is very to the point - she does not sugar coat. She gives you the results and the percentage of chance things can go the way you want them to. She never says no - but will always give you the probability of a positive wether you want to hear it or not. She is very cautious and does not get overly excited.
Be sure to go there with an open mind and be prepared to hear things that might go against what you dream of. She is fact and reality based and won't fill you up with dreams and maybes. She also does not take risks her goal is to give you one healthy baby at a time.
My first cycles were IUI cycles - We were prescribed injectables (Menapur and Gonal-f). The rational for using the injectables was to get me to create as many follicles as possible due to my advanced maternal age. Although I did create follicles both of these cycles were negatives. My recent cycle was a donor egg transfer. I was prescribed oral meds - Estrace and some antibiotics. Then after the transfer, I am continuing with Estrace and Progesterone in Oil injections for about 10 weeks. We are currently pregnant and awaiting our 8 week sonogram.
All office visits went through insurance as well as my IUI cycles so I was only responsible for the co-pay. But my donor cycle was not covered under insurance at all. We were responsible for the entire cycle which when all was said and done it cost us about $32,000. We were the sole recipients of the eggs - so if you did a shared cycle it would be a bit less expensive.
Dr Mullin only believes in a single embryo transfer. She feels it is safer. Unless you are under age 35 and specifically request a multi embryo transfer but be prepared to hear all the risks of multi births and how it increases your chance of miscarriage.
Mineola
The nursing staff [at North Shore] is fantastic. They answered my numerous questions without hesitation. I had a few meltdowns during some visits and they were very compassionate and tried their best to help me get through them...I was suppose to receive a phone call with blood results on whether or not I needed to start birth control to start a cycle. I didn't receive the phone call, and by the time a nurse got back to me it was too late to start.
The clinics reception staff is outstanding. They are always personable and know you on a first name basis. They try to accommodate you any way they can. The one weakness here is the billing department. Latarsha is wonderful, however other people need to be trained better. I believe you shouldn't sit with a client and quote prices of procedures unless your 100% sure of what you're saying... This is a very stressful time, and false information only makes it that much harder.
Dr.Hershlag takes the time to answer any questions and his gentle persona makes you feel very comfortable through stressful times.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Cathy and Jenny)
The nursing staff is fantastic. They answered my numerous questions without hesitation. I had a few meltdowns during some visits and they were very compassionate and tried their best to help me get through them. They are very knowledgeable about medications and procedures, as they should be, however they explained it in a simple manner for me to understand. They really made a stressful and scary time a lot easier.
Dr. Hershlag has wonderful bedside manner. He answers all of your questions and tries to make you feel very comfortable. When I first started going to his office he did all of my examinations, not a technician. This was a nice change from my last RE. I have seen almost all of the doctors at this practice, and they are all wonderful. The day I received the news that my first cycle of IVF didn't work, I was expecting the phone call from one of the nurses, however it was a pleasant surprise to hear him on the other end of the line. He was very sympathetic and I was happy that he took the time to break the news to me. I also like the fact that he's honest and doesn't try to sugarcoat anything.
He has a crazy schedule, so you have to be flexible.
I'll be honest, it was all so very overwhelming that I am not sure of the specifics. I trusted that he knew what to do because he was highly recommended, and I just did everything they told me.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Nursing staff [at North Shore] greeted you by name during visits and responded to questions or concerns in a timely fashion. They are very friendly and made you feel comfortable when asking questions or when i called to inform of failed IUI cycle...Location and hours are extremely accessible and convenient. I was even able to reach someone during holiday hours, Christmas eve...Nursing staff assisted in locating trigger shot at a lower price since the shot was not covered by insurance.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Tomer Singer was extremely warm and friendly. Although he was very honest and realistic with his expectations and possible outcomes, it was done with empathy and compassion. His office is very inviting and welcoming.
Nursing staff greeted you by name during visits and responded to questions or concerns in a timely fashion. They are very friendly and made you feel comfortable when asking questions or when i called to inform of failed IUI cycle.
Dr. Singer was very candid when meeting with my husband and i . However, he was sympathetic and kind when addressing our situation and gave us all of our options even if success rates were low. As a man, he was able to support and reassure my husband who was reluctant to receive treatment for our infertility or even attend an appointment. He consistently reassured us and gave us support during our failed cycles.
Continue to practice with care, love and compassion.
Dr. Tomer suggested the use of Clomid to increase egg/ follicle size during my IUI cycles. Although he suggested IVF, he supported our decision to try IUI first. He provided what information he had it turns of financial information for IVF but still respected our decision to try IUI. I came in and did blood work and then used the trigger shot to ovulate. Insemination was done about 36 hours post trigger shot the first cycle and about 26 hours post trigger shot the second cycle (my recollection of the timing may be off). Unfortunately both cycles did not result in pregnancy.
All IUI procedural costs were covered by my insurance except for co pays. Nursing staff assisted in locating trigger shot at a lower price since the shot was not covered by insurance.
Lenox Hill
Scheduling appointments [at North shore Long Island Jewish] were terrible. They were never accommodating to your schedule and it didn't matter what appointment time you got you were always waiting a long time before going in. Twice their credit card machine was down and payments wouldn't go through so instead of billing you, they wanted you to call their financial department to arrange payments. It really seemed like every department worked separately
Scheduling appointments were terrible. They were never accommodating to your schedule and it didn't matter what appointment time you got you were always waiting a long time before going in. Twice their credit card machine was down and payments wouldn't go through so instead of billing you, they wanted you to call their financial department to arrange payments. It really seemed like every department worked separately
It was extremely hard to get an appointment that worked with my work schedule. The office was very business like. No one knew your name at the front desk and I would wait anywhere from 1 to 2 hours in the waiting room for my appointment because the doctor was always running late. Dr Herslag did not give me all the information. He would pass me off onto a nurse to give me info. I felt like he was indifferent and cold
It was odd. The nursing staff always seemed busy and running around. They would give me printed paperwork with information rather than sit down and talk to me
Dr Herslag was very cold in his consultation appointments. He didn't seem very compassionate or understanding to me. This was the first fertility doctor I had ever gone to and I expected him to be more positive and sensitive in his approach. I also wasn't given detailed information as to the process of this whole thing. He passed me off to the nurses to give me instructions and even then I was left googling info on my own because this was so new to me and I didn't understand everything involved. I just felt like he never had time for me
He never runs on time and you can expect to wait up to an hour or more in the waiting room
We never got that far for real treatments. I saw him about 4 times maybe 5. I did genetic testing blood work with them and the lab list my records after weeks of me calling to find out the results. They even had to take more blood to finish some of the genetic testings. And the lab they sent the blood work to billed my via email and I didn't know it wasn't covered as part of the office visit copay. He also sent me to the hospital to do that test to make sure the Fallopian tubes were clear. And I went to an outside lab for a 3 hour glucose blood work test. After all these testings he wanted to start immediately with IVF but I wanted to try IUI first. He said fine but he won't do more than 2 or 3 IUI treatments. I just didn't feel comfortable at all with him.
I pretty much had the insurance copay only. I never did an IUI or IVF treatment with dr Herslag's office but it would have been out of pocket expense for me because insurance wasn't covering it
Mineola
Dr Singers office [North Shore] in NYC is small and crowded. It’s annoying to drive to Long Island for weekend monitoring and all ivf proceedures....The nurses were fine. No complaints. They were nice, seemed frazzled most of the time and overwhemed..... The clinic itself was fine...Seemed understaffed and Dr Singer was running around from patient to patient to the point where he was literally sweating. He needed more help and probably a new set of eggs on my case.
I have to think their lab is not as good as the top in the city. I believe their lab director left during my time there. Dr Singers office in NYC is small and crowded. It’s annoying to drive to Long Island for weekend monitoring and all ivf proceedures.
Dr Singer was very kind and compassionate. He seemed very overworked and we would wait a long time in the waiting room to see him. But once it was our turn he spent a lot of time with us and was very kind and compassionate. When I had a miscarriage he seemed upset and gave me a hug.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Gina and Amy)
Dr Singer is a wonderful person who seems to really care about his patients. However, he thought Id be an easy case and I was far from. Rather than adjusting my protocol, he blamed the ivf not working on the fact my embryos are abnormal. He pushed for PGS but we never got enough embryos on day 5 for it to make sense finacially. It was very frustrating to go through 3 ivf cycles at 31-32 years old and be told over and over all my embryos are abnormal. When I did switch clinics, I did do PGS for the first time and 7/10 of my embryos were normal. I do not think Dr Singer was willing to look for another answer so leaving his clinic was the right choice for us.
I think this goes for any clinic and any doctor, but my advice is know when to move on. Doctor Singer was the first doctor I saw and was convinced if he did not get me pregnant, then no one could. After 3 fresh ivf cylces and 4 transfers I finally went somewhere else and did end up having a child after two ivf cycles there.
I was on very high doses of meds for my age. 300 gonal f, 300 menapur. I have no idea why that was my dose or rational behind it. I got 10 eggs, 13 eggs and 15 eggs during my 3 cycles.
I did the Attain IVF money back program. That was a flat cost for 3 cycles. Money back if no success.
I transferred two embryos every time because my embryos were always poor quality. We never discusses a single transfer due to my situation.
2012 - 2015
Dr. Mullin is part of a big network of doctors at NSLIJ but she also has her own office in Garden City. When you are at Dr. Mullin's office you feel like a person but at the hospital I felt like a number....Monitoring appointments were done very early in the morning. You signed in and went to the back to have blood drawn, then waited to be called to see a doctor. Wait could be anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour depending on which doctor was on call that day.
2012 - 2015
The practice is very by the book which happened to work for me but they don't flex a lot as far I was concerned. If something didn't work once, they didn't try again. They are also a little rude if you decide to see an OBGYN or neonatologist outside of their network.
The nursing staff was very nice. Again, in Dr. Mullin's office they were friendlier because there were less of them. At the hospital, you see a different nurse at every appointment.
When first meeting with Dr. Mullin I felt totally comfortable. She diagnosed my PCOS right away and explained everything to me. We did one cycle of Clomid which I didn't respond to and then one cycle of Letrazole which I didn't respond to. She then suggested IVF since we had no coverage for infertility she said she didn't want to waste our money with oral medications since she felt we would do best with IVF. I trusted her and moved along, which did get me pregnant. After talking with other people who have a similar diagnosis as me, I wish that I had pushed to try Metformin or even injectables for an IUI before spending so much on IVF.
Ask a lot of questions and follow your gut.
For my IVF cycle I was on Follistim and Lupron. I don't remember the specifics though.
We did not have infertility coverage so everything was paid for out of pocket. We opted to enroll in the Attain program through NSLIJ which was about $15,000 and covered 2 fresh cycles and 2 frozen cycles until you had your 'take home baby.'
PCOS, Unexplained
Strengths: it was comfortable, clean, efficient. There were two specific ladies in the reception area who were absolute angels. Weaknesses: sometimes we waited a very long time...No one told me that I wasn't allowed to take advil during treatments until after I took a lot for backache. No one told my husband when he was supposed to start his antibiotics for the IVF cycle, so he never took them. When I called the nurse to ask how my embryos were developing , they read me the results from the day before instead of from that day so I was panicking about the lack of development. They didn't tell us until very last minute (a week before our scheduled IUI) that my husband would need to get re-tested for genetic diseases and then the doctor (not Dr. Cohen) criticized me and my husband because my husband didn't accompany me to the first appointment where he claims he would have remembered to tell him.
PCOS, Unexplained
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He was the kindest doctor. He had a ton of patience, always waiting until I asked all of my questions. He always told me all of the facts and didn't keep me guessing or waiting.
Some of them were great - really helpful and compassionate and clear. Other nurses were a little rougher or impatient. A few nurses forgot to tell us some medications that we were supposed to use or not allowed to use. One nurse also read me the wrong report about my embryo development so I experienced a traumatic few days where I thought none of my embryos were developing normally. But there were a few really nice ones.
How was your experience with Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He was great at patience -- he always sat down, he never made me feel like he was in a rush, he always remembered me, he always answered all of my questions even if they sounded insane, he was always very compassionate when I would freak out, he was always ready to move on when I moved on and never pressured me into anything.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Even if he seems a little cold at first, it's not a real coldness, it's just a personality. He's very kind and warm.
Describe the protocols Matthew Cohen used in your cycles at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
By the time I switched to Dr. Cohen, I had already been on 2 failed cycles of chlomid. I switched over to him to try an IUI - he upped my dosage of chlomid because I was only producing 1 egg a month with it, and we scheduled 2 timed IUIs with injections. I did that twice. I didn't want to do a third because my 2nd IUI was too hard for me and he didn't pressure me to try again even though he said 4 IUIs are standard. We moved onto IVF and it was successful.
I went in early in the morning before work so I didn't usually have very long lines. Sometimes I walked right in for blood work and stepped directly into the room for a sonogram. Other times there was a little bit of a longer wait but it was never terrible.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
IUI I believe was a bit less than $500, IVF medication I think was around $12k, IVF processes was around $14k but we got $4k back.
2010 - 2011
I won't say that it was 100% bad, obviously, but I had so, so many negative experiences there [North Shore Long Island Jewish]. Overall, there's a widespread customer service issue at that clinic. Some of it is rudeness. Some of it is unprofessionalism...it was like pulling teeth to get my records. One time, someone in the office went on vacation, and my records request just sat there on their desk. No one dealt with it. Another time, the records were in a storage facility, and - oops! - the courier forgot to get my records.
2010 - 2011
I won't say that it was 100% bad, obviously, but I had so, so many negative experiences there. Overall, there's a widespread customer service issue at that clinic. Some of it is rudeness. Some of it is unprofessionalism. I had a doctor say something really insensitive to me there, and I felt really lousy when that happened. (The story: I wasn't responding well to the IVF medication, so they kept upping my dose, and I was getting nervous if the cycle would be a bust. So the doctor walks into the room and says to me "boy, aren't you on a lot of medication?!" Why would he say that to me?? Duh, I was on a lot of medication. But it's just not something you say to someone who is stressed out and hormonal and worried they will never be able to have children.) I also had a hell of a time when I needed to transfer my records. I needed to transfer them twice because I kept moving to new states (and thus new clinics). Every time, it was like pulling teeth to get my records. One time, someone in the office went on vacation, and my records request just sat there on their desk. No one dealt with it. Another time, the records were in a storage facility, and - oops! - the courier forgot to get my records. But, seriously, it was like that over and over and over. Transfering records and transporting embryos was a huge project, like a part-time job, to deal with this clinic. It got so messed up that I wasn't sure if the transport was going to happen. I just can't emphasize enough how bad their office is run. I have called and yelled at the office manager at least a couple of times. It's just such a shame. They gave me an amazing gift, which was having my children. But I just have such negative memories of that clinic. It's like, it's bad enough to go through infertility, but then to also deal with rude/unprofessional people. I wish I could say they have changed since I was a patient there 6 years ago, but I know from dealing with them more recently (for transferring records and transporting embryos), that they still have major issues over there.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Rausch at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
She was open to my concerns, and addressed them. We had an informative IVF consultation with her where she answered our questions.
They taught me how to use the medications, which was fine. Carol (I think her name was) gave me a calendar of the treatment plan, but she explained it to me one week off from what it actually ended up being. I think she was confused. But it was an unfortunate mistake because I ended up scheduling work stuff on what ended up being the wrong week, and later had to cancel my work stuff. (Pretty inconvenient.) Many of the nurses were nice, but some were not nice. For example, I was once at a satellite clinic in Forest Hills and needed to give a urine sample. They asked me to bring it into the waiting area and wait in line. That seemed embarrassing to me - to hold my cup of pee in front of everyone - so I tried to give it to them via a side door. They refused. They made me hold my cup of pee in the waiting area, waiting in line. I was also livid with the nurse Carol when I tried to request my records and transport my embryos (this was years later, when I lived elsewhere). She kept messing up. Like she would e-mail me to the wrong e-mail address. I would call her and she wouldn't call me back, assuming that things worked themselves out. Really unprofessional. Not detail-oriented at all. Meanwhile, I was really stressed out that my embryos wouldn't end up getting transported properly, in time for my cycle. Such a frustrating experience.
How was your experience with Mary Rausch at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
She is a good doctor - sensitive to my concerns, answered my questions. I feel that she was frank in giving me the likelihood that various procedures would work. The issue was that I didn't see her very often. It was much more often other doctors in the practice.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Rausch at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
You need to be open to seeing the other doctors most of the time.
Describe the protocols Mary Rausch used in your cycles at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
I had had 2 IUI's (after 2 previous IUI's elsewhere), all unmedicated. We tried Clomid for IUI's, but we cancelled the cycles because I responded to Clomid too much for me to feel comfortable (I didn't want multiples). We reduced the Clomid dose and I still responded too much. So we opted to then move to single embryo transfer IVF. I was lucky to get pregnant on my first cycle.
Describe Mary Rausch's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Doctors were respectful of my decision. I also asked for remaining embryos to be frozen singly. They said that it was good that I requested that, because presumably they are used to freezing in pairs.
Mary Rausch
2010
I called the office several times with crazy nervous questions and they were always extremely kind and helpful... Although to a certain extent I felt like a number in his office.
2010
I did know Dr. Hershlag through friends of my parents, so I'm not sure whether my experience was representative, but I always found him to be warm, knowledgeable, and interested in my questions and concerns. Although to a certain extent I felt like a number in his office because there were so many people coming in and out of the office, I got the sense that this is how it is in all clinics.
I honestly can't remember. I remember them being very nice.
Again, I had some personal connection to Dr. Hershag since he was a friend of a friend, but I found him to be excellent; extremely compassionate and caring, and like someone who truly loves what he does. When I had trouble finding a doctor in NYC to do certain testing on my husband due to his varicocele, he was extremely helpful and recommended some others. I did have one appointment with one other doctor when Dr. Hershlag was on vacation, and he was also very nice. My husband was reluctant to do a varicocele procedure, and Dr. Hershlag was very supportive of this and did not push. We did one round of clomid which did not result in ovulation, and so they adjusted the clomid and on the second round I did ovulate and we did an IUI which was successful. Dr. Hershlag monitored me for the next 6 weeks or so, and during that time I called the office several times with crazy nervous questions and they were always extremely kind and helpful. Another plus for me was that I did not feel he pushed unnecessary procedures on me just to make money, which I have found with other doctors.
Nothing- I really had a wonderful experience.
First he did testing on both partners. As my issue was lack of ovulation, we decided to tackle that first and we started on clomid. After first round did not work, he increased dosage and I did ovulate the second round. I came in every day around that time to see whether I had ovulated, and I got two shots (profesterone?) to make me ovulate. I also did IUI on three successive days. When I came in two weeks later, I had a positive pregnancy test. I then needed to come back once a week until a heartbeat was detected (around six weeks).
I paid a copay each time but otherwise was completely covered by insurance.
Manhasset
I only had an interaction with one nurse {at Northwell Health] and I found her to be the least friendly of the office. She was blunt and to the point and didn’t seem to show as much companion as other staff...For my medication I spent around $175 and my IUI was $350...Small clinic with one doctor even though she is part of a large practice. This allows you to feel like a person as opposed to a number. Everyone knows your name and the staff remembers you. Everyone is very friendly and I felt comfortable there.
Dr. Mullin spent a lot of time with me and always answered all of my questions. I felt like I was a person and not a number. Her staff would greet me by name and always remembered who I was.
I only had an interaction with one nurse and I found her to be the least friendly of the office. She was blunt and to the point and didn’t seem to show as much companion as other staff.
I found Dr. Mullin to be warm and companionate but also very to the point which I appreciated it. She explained everything in detail and gave me realistic expectations. She always made me feel hopeful. I appreciate that her approach is not aggressive and she is a doctor who likes to try the least invasive procedures first and works her way up to more Invasive treatment like ivf.
To be honest with her and ask as many questions as you have. Tell her your concerns and ask her for her honest opinion because she’ll give it to you.
She did monitoring with blood and ultrasound, prescribed letrozole and a trigger shot of hcg in preparation of IUI.
My insurance only covers office visits and consultations, not procedures. For my medication I spent around $175 and my IUI was $350.
IVF, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
[The staff at Northwell Health] were very good at getting me an appointment with Dr. Cohen. They are very good with appointment and procedure reminders. Overall I have never had a bad experience with the staff at the clinic. So I really don’t have any negative thing to say about them...She [nurse] explains every detail to me. She explains what’s going to happen next and what I should expect next. We have discussed using donor eggs as well as trying to retrieve my own. It was Vahida who suggest that I try to use my eggs before using donor. I feel very comfortable in her care. She has not lead me astray. She contacts me on a regular basis to follow up with me. I can ask her anything and I get an answer right away.
IVF, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
They were very good at getting me an appointment with Dr. Cohen. They are very good with appointment and procedure reminders. Overall I have never had a bad experience with the staff at the clinic. So I really don’t have any negative thing to say about them.
Because of the way he sat me down to explain the reproductive cycle first before telling me why I would need IVF and why I would need to use donor eggs. He was very gentile and spoke with a very soft voice. He made me feel extremely comfortable even though the news is something that I did not want to hear. I feel very good in his hands.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Vahida Gilic, RN)
Vahida is so wonderful. She explains every detail to me. She explains what’s going to happen next and what I should expect next. We have discussed using donor eggs as well as trying to retrieve my own. It was Vahida who suggest that I try to use my eggs before using donor. I feel very comfortable in her care. She has not lead me astray. She contacts me on a regular basis to follow up with me. I can ask her anything and I get an answer right away.
Dr. Cohen treated me with delicate hands. He knew that he had not so good news to tell me and he made sure that he did it in the most delicate manner. Throughout this entire experience so far, he has reassured me every step of the way.
Please make your appointments as early as possible to get to see him.
We have not gotten to that point yet.
$5,000.00
Describe Matthew Cohen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
we have not gotten to that step yet.
Embryo Freezing
None, Other
she [nurse at Northwell Health] was available; returned calls, answered all my silly and repetitive questions. She walked me through the medication protocal and was on top of everything...I had uterine fibroids removed a few years ago and now i am undergoing egg freezing. I am a returning patient as i feel that i had been well taken care of at this hospital and feel that the doctors i have encountered there are experts in their field.
Embryo Freezing
None, Other
I have a extensive medical history at NSLIJ Northwell health. I had uterine fibroids removed a few years ago and now i am undergoing egg freezing. I am a returning patient as i feel that i had been well taken care of at this hospital and feel that the doctors i have encountered there are experts in their field.
He as very informative, kind and compassionate. He took his time to explain the process, procedure, historical outcomes, etc. I was very pleased with his assessment and my 'gut' felt it was right
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: nurse jackie)
she was available; returned calls, answered all my silly and repetitive questions. She walked me through the medication protocal and was on top of everything.
I felt at ease at his office and with his staff of nurses. I feel as though (still on going) that I am in good hands and with a seasoned professional in the field. I am an intuitive person and go strongly by my gut feelings as there are many things in life, the prospects of motherhood as one, that i can not control, but put my faith in those who dedicate their lives to this work, Dr. Hershlag being one of them
I think he explains it all and is a caring and understanding professional. There is little advice i can give someone as I am in this myself.
egg retrieval is the process i am undergoing. I was given the standard medication injectables. That is all really.
out of pocket for 9K. Meds were covered by insurance.
nope applicable.
Manhasset
I have definitely felt like a human and not a number [at North Shore-Smithtown]. Paying out of pocket the office staff always tried to do everything they could to help me. ... I feel like they take the time out to get to know me and make me feel like they care about my fertility and not just my money like some other fertility clinics have made me feel!.. Clomid 100mg 1 round- bad reaction to clomid. Switched to Femera with Ovidrel trigger.
I have definitely felt like a human and not a number. Paying out of pocket the office staff always tried to do everything they could to help me. During my appointments with Dr San Roman I asked a lot of questions and he always took the time to thoroughly answer them. I also really like getting to always see the same dr and not a rotation of different drs all the time at the clinic. I feel like they take the time out to get to know me and make me feel like they care about my fertility and not just my money like some other fertility clinics have made me feel!
Amazing! So nice!
I felt like he was really knowledgeable, deals with my specific case, is sensitive and informative, and has good bedside manor. He is trustworthy and listens to what I’m saying and remembers who I am which is really important for me in such a difficult process.
Make sure you book your consultation 3 months in advance because there is a waitlist lol!
6 Eggs Frozen
All the nurses and staff [at North Shore] were kind, compassionate and helpful...All [nurses] were thorough though some felt a little inexperienced. I never felt they weren’t completely in control...The nurses lost my pap results which were sent over before I started. I was asked several times about if it was sent - to which I confirmed it was in fact sent and reviewed with the nurse - before I was asked to have it resent. A solid week. The retrieval was on a Friday morning. I was told I’d get results on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. No one returned my calls Saturday or Sunday but I did get a call on late Monday with the results.
6 Eggs Frozen
Strengths: I felt looked after and cared for and they were all smart and kind. Plus the procedure went well. Weakness: it’s very difficult to get a hold of people in the office if not physically there.
All the nurses and staff were kind, compassionate and helpful.
All were thorough though some felt a little inexperienced. I never felt they weren’t completely in control but they all seemed fairly young.
He explained everything patiently and thoroughly. I texted him over a weekend with a question to which he responded instantly. He is very smart and has exceptional bedside manner. Dr Singer is always smiling and enthusiastic but also realistic about the whole process.
Ask a lot of questions as he is extremely knowledgeable but initially just goes over the more general “summary”
225 follistin, 150 menapur. Follistin was increased to 300 after 5 days. Ganarelix for 4 nights. Then the trigger of Pregnyl. Every other day for blood/sonogram the first 6 days then daily after that.
9,000 per cycle plus egg storage and not including medication
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Nurse practitioner - Dorene- is amazing. Lauren - another doctors nurse that sometimes covered for Hershlag’s nurse was amazing and so understanding Jenny - Hershlag’s nurse- nice but I felt like I was bothering her sometimes...Well organized and friendly staff [North Shore Long Island Jewish]. I have not recognized any weaknesses yet. For blood work and sono you do not need an appointment. You just go in between 7-9. Waiting times weren’t bad at all. I was always in and out in 20 mins at most.
European, Latino
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Well organized and friendly staff. I have not recognized any weaknesses yet. For blood work and sono you do not need an appointment. You just go in between 7-9. Waiting times weren’t bad at all. I was always in and out in 20 mins at most.
They were amzing! Very personalized and would spend time explaining everything. I absolutely adore him and his staff.
Nurse practitioner - Dorene- is amazing. Lauren - another doctors nurse that sometimes covered for Hershlag’s nurse was amazing and so understanding Jenny - Hershlag’s nurse- nice but I felt like I was bothering her sometimes. Didn’t feel that way with anyone else in the practice.
He made me feel so happy and was such a pleasure to talk to. I feel that I wasted my time at the other practice I went to after meeting him. He’s compassionate which is so rare. He’s knowledgeable and explains everything in a way that makes sense.
Don’t bother going to any other clinics.
4 vials is menapur 300 of follastim Menapur Cetratide All used to generate eggs. Cetratide used to delay ovulation.
Easy to do. Quick, no wait, orderly.
Pay upfront for all copays and services. No payment plan.
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
About $25,000 The cycle itself is $17500 and plus the cost of meds [at Northwell Health]...Strength — great monitoring hours Weakness — hospital run. Awful doctors and protocols. They treat everyone the same. Literally just a number. Sometimes they didn’t even remember what meds you were on...Kathy [nurse] was amazing. The other nurses I didn’t really know... didn’t have any options since I didn’t have many embryos
European, Latino
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gerald Scholl at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He never wanted to answer questions. He refused to change protocols. He did same protocol for everyone despite their diagnosis. On first meeting he already said I should go straight to donor egg.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
Kathy was amazing. The other nurses I didn’t really know.
How was your experience with Gerald Scholl at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He was awful. Terrible bedside manner. Refused to listen to you. Would always ‘sigh’ when you had a question. Had no faith. Very textbook. Would never want to hear about other things I read regarding DOR. Had no interest in adjusting meds or doses. Just plain awful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gerald Scholl at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Run fast. He doesn’t care about you as an infertile woman. You’re just another number
Describe the protocols Gerald Scholl used in your cycles at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Cycle 1- clomid gonal f 300 and menopur 4 vials — concerted to iui Cycle 2 - same meds, but with Estrogen priming. 3 follicles. One blast pgs abnormal Cycle 3 — same meds and doses, estrogen priming protocol, 4 follicles, one fertilized. 3 day FET — BFN
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gerald Scholl at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
About $25,000 The cycle itself is $17500 and plus the cost of meds
Describe Gerald Scholl's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
I didn’t have any options since I didn’t have many embryos
Gerald Scholl
Manhasset
RaChel [nurse at Northwell Health] who I had spoken with during consultation was nice, but when I called to get some bloodwork results some other nurses who answered the phone was not very nice...They were not up front about co-insurances and co-pays for genetic testing and radiological imaging tests...The wait time was way too long! I feel like they don't value patient's time. If they valued their patients time, I wouldn't have had to wait 3 hours to see Dr. Singer for a consultation on my first visit. Not to mention their front desk, no one ever answers to make an appointment or to change appointments. How frustrating!!
I waited 3 hours to see Dr. Singer. My appointment was at 10 a.m. but I didn't see him until close to 2 p.m. So NOT considerate to patients.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: RaChel)
RaChel who I had spoken with during consultation was nice, but when I called to get some bloodwork results some other nurses who answered the phone was not very nice.
He's a nice guy, but not sure if I trust him enough to go through a cycle with him. He sounds like a car salesman more so than a doctor when he described the procedures. He seemed to be more interested in getting more patients which equals more profit than his success rates per each patients. I was very disappointed after seeing him and spoke to him during consultation.
Don't go there!
Lenox Hill
Dr. Hershlag [at North Shore Long Island] was candid about how he felt about my weight. We feel that he diminished the possible male factor infertility possibility. Multiple blood tests were done when i first became a patient, but during treatment, no further tests to find the cause of infertility were performed.... We have done 6 IUIs. First was 100mg clomid and trigger (chemical) next two were 150mg clomid and ovidrel. I expressed a *maybe* concern with my luteal phase and he added crinone for the next 3. One more round of clomid/ovidrel/crinone. Switched to femara 2x a day with trigger and crinone for 2 rounds which resulted in chemicals. I am not sure why the amounts or medicines were decided on, he mentioned PCOS a few times and if i said "oh is that what youve diagnosed me with" he always said no.
Front desk is very nice and accomodating. Billing is always willing to help. Office is clean
At times he seemed caring and interested, while others it was just lets get this done. Our expressed concern with the lack of diagnoses seems to be ignored.
Dr. Hershlag was candid about how he felt about my weight. We feel that he dinished the possible male factor infertility possibility. Multiple blood tests were done when i first became a patient, but during treatment, no further tests to find the cause of infertility were performed.
I guess be more proactive in advocating for yourself
Iui out of pocket is 350. Most regular visits are covered under my copay. Not sure about IVF/ICSI yet, but my insurance does not cover it.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
This is a very big clinic with many patients and can sometimes feel like it's a revolving door, but I didn't really expect anything different. As with any other medical care, you have to be your own advocate and do your own research and ask questions. Try to become knowledgeable regarding your treatment so you can give it the best shot possible...All of the nursing staff is excellent!...If you are expecting warm and fuzzy, that is not what you will get with Dr. Mullin, but you will get the best care.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Although most appointments were very fast, she would still answer any and all of the questions I had.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Joan)
All of the nursing staff is excellent!
Dr. Mullin is extremely smart and good at what she does. She is always thinking of different ways to make each cycle successful and goes above and beyond to try and get a positive pregnancy test. If I ever had questions I needed answered, I never had to wait more than a day for her response.
Manhasset
Dr. Singer [at North Shore Long Island Jewish] is very personable and warm. Always smiling and very patient. His nurse practioner Molly was also great - they treated me more like a human and not just another patient.... Dr. singer was great the couple of times I met him. He performed one of my IUIs and it was the quickest and easiest one. I do wish he would have seen me more instead of the nurse practioner but I understand he is on a super busy schedule..
Long wait times were annoying, but staff were otherwise very friendly.
Dr. Singer is very personable and warm. Always smiling and very patient. His nurse practioner Molly was also great - they treated me more like a human and not just another patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Molly)
Molly was really friendly and patient. I really liked her. She explained things very well.
Get an appt first thing in the morning or risk long wait times.
A couple of rounds of clomid but after that didn't work, we did 4 rounds of IUIs
My insurance doesn't cover fertility treatments so I had to pay out of pocket what is charged.
Lenox Hill
Strength -At major hospital Weakness - Difficult to get to, had to drive...Whenever we were unsure of how to proceed, the nurses were kind and patient and made sure calls were returned in a timely manner. They more than made up the lack of bedside manner of Dr. Cohen...He was very down to earth and explained things to us at every turn. He is definitely a little quirky, but was patient with us and treated us like mature adults, never talking over our heads. Would definitely recommend him and his staff to anyone looking
Strength -At major hospital Weakness - Difficult to get to, had to drive
He genuinely cares about each patient, however, he reminded us of Sheldon Cooper on big bang theory - genius with limited social interaction skills. That being said, we would definitely go back to him in the future and recommend him to anyone looking.
His social interaction skills are limited, but he more than makes up for it with his genius. In the end, as long as you get your baby, do you really care that you were treated by Dr. Spock?
Manhasset
He [Dr. Tomer Singer] is great and very detailed, but sometimes I did feel his practice was getting so big and there were too many patients for him. But when I had complications he was amazing and called to check in on the weekends and at night.... The front desk staff [at North Shore Long Island Jewish] is great and the techs are amazing! The really treat you as a individual. Morning Apts always are on time and quick but the afternoon Apts always ran late
The front desk staff is great and the techs are amazing! The really treat you as a individual. Morning Apts always are on time and quick but the afternoon Apts always ran late
it is a great experience because it is such a small office and you really get to know the staff
The RNs were friendly and always available to speak. They were helpful with the injections teaching as well
He is great and very detailed, but sometimes I did feel his practice was getting so big and there were too many patients for him. But when I had complications he was amazing and called to check in on the weekends and at night.
Ask a lot of questions
Clomid for the iui to make me ovulate since I have pcos and then low dose of the injections for the retrieval because I was at high risk of ohss
Very efficient
My insurance covered 80%of each round but the drugs were expensive one round of IVF was around $6000 out of pocket
He would rather transfer one at a time but was not opposed to two
4 IUI, IVF
The whole establishment [at North Shore Long Island Jewish Fertility] knew what they were doing. I have twins to prove it (let me note that Dr. H was adamant about transferring one embryo.) My husband and I had been through the ringer at that point and this IVF cycle was our last. Mentally and physically my body could not handle it. BUT I pushed and Dr H obliged begrudgingly and said we would most certainly have twins and as long as I knew all the risks he would not transfer more than two embryos so don't even think about it....
4 IUI, IVF
Like I was the only patient he had.
Caring, compassionate, thoughtful, knowledgable. The whole establishment knew what they were doing. I have twins to prove it (let me note that Dr. H was adamant about transferring one embryo.) My husband and I had been through the ringer at that point and this IVF cycle was our last. Mentally and physically my body could not handle it. BUT I pushed and Dr H obliged begrudgingly and said we would most certainly have twins and as long as I knew all the risks he would not transfer more than two embryos so don't even think about it.... Three weeks later an ultra sound confirmed two sacks were there. Every single person I meet that is in this situation gets referred to him. Honestly, he is just the best at what he does.
He will exhaust every possible option to get you pregnant!
Manhasset
They [North Shore -Manhasset] were great, always calling me back and answered all questions...Very busy and feels like it’s easy to get lost, wait times can also be long. The staff however tries to be as accommodating as possible. Only 1 phlebotomist which can mean a long wait time for blood work...He [Dr. Cohen] was great, appointments were usually very short and more the office than the doctor felt like an assembly line. Doctor was great.
He was great, appointments were usually very short and more the office than the doctor felt like an assembly line. Doctor was great.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Vajida)
They were great, always calling me back and answered all questions
He was very good at explaining everything and what to expect, he explained to my mom medical husband everything from IVF to PGS. He was very gentle during the procedures for procedures that i have heard of people complaining they hurt i didn’t even feel them.
Ask questions
About 18,000 not including medication or genetics
We did PGS so only 1 transferred
2013
Dr Hershlag is very knowledgable and explained every step throughout the process. He also thoroughly answered any questions that we had. He ended every session with a hug which I appreciated. However, the wait times in his office are unbearable! It is typical to have to wait over an hour for an appointment even if you are the first appointment of the day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Carol)
She was so sweet and funny. I know some other patients at the clinic and everyone raves about how great she is.
He was very thorough and explained everything throughout the process.
Be prepared to wait a long time in the waiting room. He's great so it's worth it.
Manhasset
CLEANLINESS. This [North Shore Long Island Jewish - Smithtown] office is clean ALL THE TIME. The staff is compassionate and friendly and the appointment times are always in line with what fits your schedule...
CLEANLINESS. This office is clean ALL THE TIME. The staff is compassionate and friendly and the appointment times are always in line with what fits your schedule.
Dr. San Roman never makes you feel like just a statistic, he is always patient, kind and listens to your concerns. He tells you exactly what the course of treatment will be and what the chances are of success.