6.8

285 Middle Country Road
Smithtown, NY 11787
(631) 650 2229

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
I would tell any person coming into this clinic [that the fertility clinic and the laboratory that maintains the sperm are 2 separate entities. I would tell them that they would have to be on top of the laboratory to ensure that they have the doctor’s orders that the it is followed exactly. ... When my partner left his sperm sample, the Laboratory was to analyze and store his sample. Instead the lab analyzed and threw out his sample by mistake. We did not know this until the day before retrieval. Because of my partner work schedule (he works for MTA) he just could not get off to come with me the next morning to produce sperm while the doctor was retrieving my eggs. Which is why I would tell anyone coming in that they should stay on top of the lab.
How was your experience with Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr. Cohen strengths is the way he approaches his patient’s. He’s very caring and careful with his words in describing an outcome that may not occur. When I first sat down with Dr. Cohen he first explained to me why the human body preforms the way it does. And that no amount of medicine or modern technology can change that. With that said, he laid out for the reason why it would be extremely hard for a women my age to get pregnant naturally with my own eggs. He told me this information in a way as if he was letting me down easy and not to have high expectations. He was not rough by saying, “you too old to get pregnant”. He did recommend using donor eggs, but at the same time he did not force it or say to me that this was my ONLY option.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
With the number of years he has in this profession, I would tell them to consider all of his advice and follow it. And understand, that’s he’s trying to help you get pregnant and not discourage you from starting a family.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He treated me with kid gloves. As an expert in this filed he told me delicately that because of my age the expectations will not be good. But at the same time he was very encouraging because of my AMH levels which is high for a women of my age.
Describe the protocols Matthew Cohen used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Usually in a women my age, my AMH would be low and my FHS would be high. But because my levels were good, Dr. Cohen was more excited than I was to start treatment. This encouragement from him made me feel more enthusiastic about starting fertility treatment regardless of my age. On my first round of treatment, Dr. Cohen had me on 300 iu of Gonal F and 150 of Menopur per day. He did this for about 12 days (I can’t remember the exact number of days). Again his rational for this protocol was because my AMH levels where 1.1. He was able to retrieve 13 eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Vahida Gilic, RN)
Very informative and walked me through each progress step by step. Called me every night to see how I was doing on the medication. She was concerned about any side effects. She was also very encouraging because my of AMH levels.
Describe your experience with Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
I would tell any person coming into this clinic that the fertility clinic and the laboratory that maintains the sperm are 2 separate entities. I would tell them that they would have to be on top of the laboratory to ensure that they have the doctor’s orders that the it is followed exactly.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
You could go in between the hours of 7 to 11 for monitoring, but I always made sure I have an appointment for 7:00 am. One time, I was not able to get an appointment until 7:30 am. I did this so that I could ensure I would get seen and leave the clinic by a certain time because I still had to go to work. If you did not have an appointment, you had to wait but was still seen.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Since my insurance only cover 80% of treatment my co-payment was $4,000. My insurance does not cover fertility medication, which $8,000.00
Describe Matthew Cohen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Because of poor egg quality, we were not able to transfer any embryos.
What specific things went wrong at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Manhasset
[Dr. Maxwell was] Very thorough in her explanations, and made sure we understood all risks, pros, and cons. Was very easy to get ahold of and would walk through options so that we could make the best informed decision for ourselves...took time to answer every question and never made us feel our questions were stupid...recommended trying ovulation induction first since it’s less invasive. She has explained every step along the way and told us what to expect and when which has been very helpful...
medical secretary [at Northwell Health] has been amazing in getting questions answered, appointments scheduled, and helping us get in touch with other staff as needed. The nursing staff has also been very helpful and always very pleasant and efficient without making you feel like you’re a number...what a better experience it has been in terms of treatment plans, speaking with staff and overall experience with the clinic staff....
How was your experience with Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Ask any questions you have even if you think they’re stupid. Dr. Maxwell took time to answer every question and never made us feel our questions were stupid.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
She spoke with me and my husband and made sure that we were comfortable with all the steps and treatments and would call to check in while going through various cycles.
Describe the protocols Susan McClelland Maxwell used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
We tried 3 rounds of ovulation induction which did not result in pregnancy. From there we are now doing IVF stimulation. Dr. Maxwell recommended trying ovulation induction first since it’s less invasive. She has explained every step along the way and told us what to expect and when which has been very helpful. We plan to do the egg retrieval sometime in the next few weeks and a transfer shortly after.
Dr. Maxwell’s medical secretary has been amazing in getting questions answered, appointments scheduled, and helping us get in touch with other staff as needed. The nursing staff has also been very helpful and always very pleasant and efficient without making you feel like you’re a number.
We saw a previous doctor at this clinic that is no longer there and the clinic seemed (along with the doctor) very disorganized and you very much felt like a number. Since transitioning to Dr. Maxwell, this has not been our experience and my husband and I have both commented on what a better experience it has been in terms of treatment plans, speaking with staff and overall experience with the clinic staff.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Most of our treatments were covered by insurance but the billing coordinator was very available to discuss costs, billing due dates and options. Dr. Maxwell’s medical secretary also made sure that we recurved all the financial information needed from the billing coordinator and helped us get in touch with her when needed.
Describe Susan McClelland Maxwell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
We have discussed with Dr. Maxwell and we will try single transfer first and potential multiple (2) in later transfers if the first are unsuccessful. I am still on the “younger” side so Dr. Maxwell does not want to start with multiple embryo transfer, but indicated if I was over 37 we would start with multiple embryo transfer.
Susan McClelland Maxwell
New York City

When my fiancé left his sample, someone [Northwell Health] failed to tell the lab that his sample was to be screened and stored. The sample was only screened but not stored and it was thrown out ... This clinic feels more like a spa rather than a clinic, but the wait time is excessive. It takes a long time just to make an appointment. ... The sonograms and bold draws were mainly done in the morning. The clinic opened at 7am. If I came in at 7 am I was seen in an appropriate amount of time for my sonogram and blood work. So I always made sure that I was at the clinic at 7am so that I would be out the door before 7:45 to get to my job by 9am.
Dr. Cohen was very blunt when I first sat down with him. He explained to me why it would be almost impossible to use my own eggs for a women my age. He made it seem like it was not my fault, it’s just Mother Nature. He also explained that science has not gotten to the point of reversing ageing and/or diminished ovarian reserve. But he was very hopeful in explaining to me that I could carry a pregnancy with donor eggs. And regardless of the fact that they are donor eggs that this would be my child. So I am grateful for explaining to me in great detail why it would be difficult to use my own eggs do to ageing. I was not going to entertain the thought of using donor eggs, but after speaking with Dr. Cohen I did reconsider and started to research donor eggs more.
Listen to everything that he tells you first, but you start asking question. And to also be patient.
They were very caring and spoke to me like a human being and not a number. For instance, at every visit they made sure that I was up to date on my yearly mammogram, obg-yn visit, physical and even dental. They stressed how important all this was before undergoing IVF. Dr. Cohen was even concerned about the previous surgeries that I had years ago. My nurse always called me to check up on me to see how I was doing.
After doing my labs on day 2 of my cycle, Dr. Cohen was very hopeful (but still apprehensive) about using my own eggs. He explained to me that for someone my age, my AMH and FSH are not good but not bad either. He was the one who then encouraged me to try a round of IVF using my own eggs. So he started me on 150 of Menopur and 300 of Gonal F every night for the first 4 nights. Then after that, he only increased the Menopur to 225 per night until time for retrieval. Cetrotide was also used to control onvulation as well as Noveral for the trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Vahida Gilic RN)
Vahida has been great. She has been reassuring me that based on my labs I should have a successful egg retrieval which I did have. In fact she encouraged me to wait until after transfer before considering donor egg. She was very hopeful that I would have a good outcome based on my numbers. Sometimes the nursing staff forget to following up with me and I am on hold for an excessive length of time. But when I do get to speak with them, they are very very thorough.
This clinic feels more like a spa rather than a clinic, but the wait time is excessive. It takes a long time just to make an appointment. If you are considering using this clinic. please make your appointment right away as it takes a long time to get an appointment.
The sonograms and bold draws were mainly done in the morning. The clinic opened at 7am. If I came in at 7 am I was seen in an appropriate amount of time for my sonogram and blood work. So I always made sure that I was at the clinic at 7am so that I would be out the door before 7:45 to get to my job by 9am. So I liked how they run their morning hours.
All my co payments totaled $6,000.00. This includes clinic co payments and medication.
We have not gotten to a transfer day yet as we are going to do another round of IVF. So was have not discussed that as of yet. But we have discussed genetic testing on the embryos.
When my fiancé left his sample, someone failed to tell the lab that his sample was to be screened and stored. The sample was only screened but not stored and it was thrown out and no one notified me or my fiancé.

2017 - 2019, Successful
She [Dr. Mullin] entertained all of my questions, never rushed me (like actually, spend so much time with me on multiple occasions, I was shocked), personally did my ultrasounds most of the time and always came in to do my retrievals and transfers (even when it wasn't her day on call), and personally called me back when I called in with a question, and was really there for me every step of the way. Because of her, I felt well taken care of during such a sad, unknown time.
Some [nurses at Northwell Health] know more than others, and you learn who to turn to throughout your time there...Also, as an aside, the phlebotomist, Jessica, is the freaking best...The Northwell Mineola office is peaceful. The Manhasset office can be a zoo. I thankfully only had to go there on weekends for monitoring and for procedures (however, specifically for procedures, the nurses at Manhasset are incredible).
How was your experience with Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
I was a rare case. Got pregnant with my first-ever FET but then miscarried, despite the embryo being PGS normal. Dr. Mullin fought with me to try and figure out the best course of action after that and ultimately, after many biopsies and tests, she found what potentially was the issue. I don't know if many other doctors would have gone to the lengths she did.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Be your own advocate. Doctors have A LOT of patients - not their fault, just the nature of medicine these days. But it's up to you to bring your thoughts and opinions to the table. Dr. Mullin never shunned anything I had to say and worked with me every step of the way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr. Mullin really took the time to get to know my husband and I. She entertained all of my questions, never rushed me (like actually, spend so much time with me on multiple occasions, I was shocked), personally did my ultrasounds most of the time and always came in to do my retrievals and transfers (even when it wasn't her day on call), and personally called me back when I called in with a question, and was really there for me every step of the way. Because of her, I felt well taken care of during such a sad, unknown time.
Describe the protocols Christine Mullin used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Diagnosed "lean PCOS." Tried 4 IUIs (with Clomid), all BFN. Moved on to IVF. First retrieval was pretty (BCP + low dose meds given PCOS). Yielded a large # of eggs, but there were signs of poor egg quality. Transferred 1 of my 2 PGS normal embryos, BFP, miscarried at 6 weeks. Waited a few months to do another retrieval, during which she put me on Metformin and I started taking Acai pills. Prior to starting the injections, she also changed the protocol slightly and added estrogen priming. 2nd retrieval MUCH better and ended up with 5 healthy embryos. After a failed second FET, we decided to do the ReceptivaDX biopsy, as she suspected silent endometriosis. Biopsy confirmed extremely high levels of inflammation. Protocol was Depot Lupron for 2 months. Went straight into my third FET, which resulted in my current pregnancy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Some know more than others, and you learn who to turn to throughout your time there. At the end of the day, though, Dr. Mullin was always reachable, and every time I called in with a question, the nurse(s) would either put me on hold to ask Dr. Mullin directly, or Dr. Mullin called me back herself later that day. Also, as an aside, the phlebotomist, Jessica, is the freaking best.
Mineola
I haven't had much time spent with Dr. Mullin herself. Her visits are short and not a lot of information is provided. Her bedside manner makes me feel as though i'm a number...I never feel as though i'm getting the full story from her, and that's when I actually see her. Only when I had a bad experience, did she show compassion and see me a few visits in a row. I'm confident she's good at what she does and will get me pregnant - i'm just not 100% on board with how she does it.
The clinic [Northwell Health- Mineola] is amazing, the staff is warm, friendly, and organized. It took 1 visit for Robin at the front desk to remember my name. I'm greeted every time I walk in and questions are answered as needed. Whenever I call with questions I get an answer right away or am called back shortly after. There are NEVER issues with appointments, they always make room for me. Jessica the phlebotomist is amazing, she never leaves me with bruises and takes my blood in no time. Regina, the sonogram tech is so warm - I've cried to her behind the closed door many times, and she always makes me feel so comfortable. This team is a gem!
Ask many questions.
The nursing staff is excellent, specifically the NP Mary Jane and RN Joan. They take their time when speaking with you, always ask questions, and make you feel as though you matter. They have been my contacts from day one, i feel more comfortable with them then I do with the Dr.
The clinic is amazing, the staff is warm, friendly, and organized. It took 1 visit for Robin at the front desk to remember my name. I'm greeted every time I walk in and questions are answered as needed. Whenever I call with questions I get an answer right away or am called back shortly after. There are NEVER issues with appointments, they always make room for me. Jessica the phlebotomist is amazing, she never leaves me with bruises and takes my blood in no time. Regina, the sonogram tech is so warm - I've cried to her behind the closed door many times, and she always makes me feel so comfortable. This team is a gem!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
$50 copay, $3500 for IVF cycle
I wasn't given the correct information on side effects and ended up in the hospital
2017 - 2019, Successful
[Dr. Mary Rausch] was with me from day1 of my diagnosis through graduating to my ob for now baby #2. She has been a great doctor every step of the way...has now gotten me pregnant twice. While she is busy (as all doctors are) I felt that she was there for me (or one of her colleagues) every step of the way through ivf...I was monitored daily during egg retrieval because I had a lot of eggs. I ended up hyper stimulating, which delayed embryo transfer 1 month. I trusted dr rauschs decision to delay transfer. She also recommended pgs, which I am extremely glad I did, as it made me feel comfortable declining genetic testing while I was pregnant (which in some cases result in miscarriage). Finally she only recommended transferring one embryo, which I continue to be very happy with. Nurse
The Clinic [Northwell Health] was great. only weaknesses are some administrative headaches: calling could be challenging to get a hold of the nursing team (auto prompts that send you to nobody), and I had some issues with medications getting sent to the wrong pharmacies, resulting in the need to rush order/pay out of pocket for some expensive meds. Otherwise beyond some administrative headaches, the clinic was amazing, the staff was warm and friendly, which helped immensely getting through a very difficult time...nursing staff was excellent...I was monitored daily during egg retrieval because I had a lot of eggs. I ended up hyper stimulating, which delayed embryo transfer 1 month. I trusted dr rauschs decision to delay transfer. She also recommended pgs, which I am extremely glad I did, as it made me feel comfortable declining genetic testing while I was pregnant (which in some cases result in miscarriage). Finally she only recommended transferring one embryo, which I continue to be very happy with.
How was your experience with Mary Rausch at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr rausch was an excellent doctor that has now gotten me pregnant twice. While she is busy (as all doctors are) I felt that she was there for me (or one of her colleagues) every step of the way through ivf.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Rausch at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Have patience going through the ivf process. Know that it will be financially and physically stressful, but the results are worth it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Rausch at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr rausch was with me from day1 of my diagnosis through graduating to my ob for now baby #2. She has been a great doctor every step of the way.
Describe the protocols Mary Rausch used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Kathy g)
Northwell fertility nursing staff was excellent
The Clinic was great. only weaknesses are some administrative headaches: calling could be challenging to get a hold of the nursing team (auto prompts that send you to nobody), and I had some issues with medications getting sent to the wrong pharmacies, resulting in the need to rush order/pay out of pocket for some expensive meds. Otherwise beyond some administrative headaches, the clinic was amazing, the staff was warm and friendly, which helped immensely getting through a very difficult time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Rausch at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
I hit my insurance out of pocket max so I am unsure what the true cost was
Describe Mary Rausch's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Dr rausch recommended single embryo transfer which I am very happy with.
Manhasset
He [Dr. Hershlag] was very uplifting when I would see him. He spoke in ways that were easy for my husband and I to understand. He was also very determined that I would end up with a pregnancy via donor egg. He assured me not to worry and that he would make the process easy and not stressful. I have had previous experiences with another doctor that wound up not being successful with two transfers. My husband and I were devastated. Dr.Hershlag made us feel better about going forth using him in hopes to have a successful pregnancy. Along the way, I had other issues that came up during the process and without hesitation he told me to come into the office with no appointment. He took care of me immediately. My husband and I can’t wait to go back to him to finish the process of becoming parents using donor egg. We did have to put the process on hold due to the costly expense of using donor eggs.
I highly recommend this clinic. The only thing that did seem to bother me at times was the length of time I had to wait. He was always booked with patients (even though that is a great sign) because he is very well known. The place was always very clean and everyone was very helpful. ... [Nursing Staff] Everyone was excellent and was always available when I needed them.
How was your experience with Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He was very uplifting when I would see him. He spoke in ways that were easy for my husband and I to understand. He was also very determined that I would end up with a pregnancy via donor egg. He assured me not to worry and that he would make the process easy and not stressful. I have had previous experiences with another doctor that wound up not being successful with two transfers. My husband and I were devastated. Dr.Hershlag made us feel better about going forth using him in hopes to have a successful pregnancy. Along the way, I had other issues that came up during the process and without hesitation he told me to come into the office with no appointment. He took care of me immediately. My husband and I can’t wait to go back to him to finish the process of becoming parents using donor egg. We did have to put the process on hold due to the costly expense of using donor eggs.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He is a very compassionate doctor who will make you feel comfortable and assure you that you will end up with a family of your own.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He made me feel very comfortable and he was very friendly and spoke using words I understood.
Describe the protocols Avner Hershlag used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
He told me to keep track of my sleeping patterns because I wake up in the middle of the night with hot flashes due to my very high hcg levels. This would help to control the amount of estrogen I needed to be on to control them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Marie Elise Marella)
Everyone was excellent and was always available when I needed them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
My co payments from my insurance were 50 dollars a visit. Donor egg costs range from anywhere between 12,000 to 40,000 depending on if we use frozen or fresh eggs.
Describe Avner Hershlag's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
He told us that he would only transfer one embryo at a time. Said doing multiple transfers can very well wind up with multiples and he does not recommend that because there is a higher risk of complications.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
He's [Dr. Hershlag] kind, compassionate and knows what he's doing. We didn't get off to the best start, but he grew on us. We waited almost 2 hours our first time and he didn't even apologize. I was also in denial about my infertility. Once I started my first cycle I felt more like I belonged there....He likes to give hugs to all his patients...Cycle 1 was birth control protocol with 300 follostim and 150 menopur, garinelix and hcg trigger. 11 egg retrieved all mature, 7 fertilized, 6 blasts, 1 pgs tested normal embryo. Cycle 2 was microdose lupron and the above meds. Estrogen was high so stopped lupron.
Calling the main number is annoying, but once your assigned a nurse you get a direct number. I also have the financial adviser and patient liaison for my doctor on speed dial. Everyone is super friendly. Once you start cycling you get to meet everyone...My nurse [at North Shore Long Island Jewish] was on top of everything and always got back to me when I left a message. I always felt better after talking to her. All the nurses there are great.
He's kind, compassionate and knows what he's doing. We didn't get off to the best start, but he grew on us. We waited almost 2 hours our first time and he didn't even apologize. I was also in denial about my infertility. Once I started my first cycle I felt more like I belonged there.
Stick with it, it might not work the first couple of times. He grew on me.
He likes to give hugs to all his patients
Cycle 1 was birth control protocol with 300 follostim and 150 menopur, garinelix and hcg trigger. 11 egg retrieved all mature, 7 fertilized, 6 blasts, 1 pgs tested normal embryo. Cycle 2 was microdose lupron and the above meds. Estrogen was high so stopped lupron. 13 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized, 4 blasts and 2 pgs tested normal embryos. 2 FET's with PIO IM shots, doxy, medrol and estrace. No pregnancy so far. I'm 43 . ***PS- I'm in the Warriors Facebook group, not sure where I'm supposed to put that in this survey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Jenny Cutolo)
My nurse was on top of everything and always got back to me when I left a message. I always felt better after talking to her. All the nurses there are great.
Those were the easiest appointment to schedule. Usually no wait. They pretty much have that down in the morning.
my insurance had a 25k max which almost lasted 2 cycles
Since we did PGS he suggested 1 and we only wanted one at a time. First cycle we only had one anyway
2015 - 2018, Successful
We [with Dr. Gabe San Roman] started with fertility pills, 5 rounds of clomid. I produced many mature folicles, but none led to pregnancy with intercourse. The last round was IUI, to try and increase the chances of a positive pregnancy. It did not work. Then I moved to injectibles. They provided the first round for free. I produced 4 mature folicles, but no pregnancy resulted from intercourse. Dr. Gave adjusted the medication to focus on egg quality. 13 eggs were retrieved the next round, but again no fertilization happened. Again the medication was adjusted and I was out on pure LH to boost egg health. He also recommened herbal supplements. This time 6 eggs were retrieved and 5 fertilized. The first transfer at day 5 did not take.
[Northwell Health-Smithtown's] Strengths- Clean, great staff, free coffee and snacks, early morning and weekend hours, affordable with insurance, blood work drawn on site. Weakness- no afternoon or evening hours, sometimes crowded and long waits.... They provided the first round of injections for free, and a part of my treatment it was covered under my insurance. When insurance did not cover, office visit were $250 and ultrasounds were additional
How was your experience with Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr. Gabe is sincere and authentic. He is personable and open as a doctor. He has a good sense of humor and also knows when to be serious and get down to business. He adjusts his approach based on the patient’s needs. I always felt heard and respected. He walked through options and concerns with me and we decided on courses of action together.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Be honest and assertive with what you want. It’s your health and family on the line, not the doctor’s.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr. Gave knew our names, likes and interests, and made time to meet with me and my partner. He always made time to small talk at each appointment and made information easy to understand. He also personally made calls about results with very sensitive information.
Describe the protocols Gabe San Roman used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
We started with fertility pills, 5 rounds of clomid. I produced many mature folicles, but none led to pregnancy with intercourse. The last round was IUI, to try and increase the chances of a positive pregnancy. It did not work. Then I moved to injectibles. They provided the first round for free. I produced 4 mature folicles, but no pregnancy resulted from intercourse. Dr. Gave adjusted the medication to focus on egg quality. 13 eggs were retrieved the next round, but again no fertilization happened. Again the medication was adjusted and I was out on pure LH to boost egg health. He also recommened herbal supplements. This time 6 eggs were retrieved and 5 fertilized. The first transfer at day 5 did not take. I suggest transferring 2. Dr Gabe talked to us about risks such as twins and even higher order multiples. He thought transferring 2 was a good move since we had been trying for years, and we agreed with this plan and transferred 2 eggs, which resulted in our beautiful baby girls.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Emily)
Everyone knew my health and history. They were compassionate and seemed genuinely interest in my pregnancy journey.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
They provided the first round of injections for free, and a part of my treatment it was covered under my insurance. When insurance did not cover, office visit were $250 and ultrasounds were additional.
Describe Gabe San Roman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Ok glad we tried one the first time and that dr. Gabe spoke to us about the risks of transferring multiple embryos and life with multiples.
Smithtown

Always see a doctor for monitoring [at North Shore Long Island Jewish], though sometimes not your primary doctor. Patients in satellite offices need to go to Manhassat for at least some monitoring appointments and all procedures - Manhassat is definitely busier than Mineola, but still moves fairly quickly. Had a couple of issues with billing, but they were easily resolved. Robyn, who handles insurance logistics for the Mineola office, is excellent and helped me through a really confusing insurance policy.
I met with Dr. Mullin after leaving a different clinic (from which I had serious concerns about their level of care). She was matter of fact about my potential options for treatment, but listened to me about my concerns and wishes and responded appropriately and with empathy. Sje was involved with my care - which took place over the holidays - and never made me feel like a number or "just another" patient. She encouraged me to keep going with my retrieval when I considered cancelling it due to an unusual course of events during my stims phase. I went through with my retrieval only because of how much I trusted Dr. Mullin. The retrieval resulted in 9 embryos (8 PGS normal), and one current pregnancy. I would recommend Dr. Mullin to anyone in the area undergoing treatment for infertility.
Don't be afraid to say what you want out of treatment. Dr. Mullin will listen and let you know if it's possible - she won't just push her standard treatment without explanation or consideration to your wants/concerns.
I always saw a doctor for my monitoring appointments, and often that doctor was Dr. Mullin. She was super involved in my care, and always made me feel like I was her only patient (even though that obviously wasn't the case).
Antagonist protocol; ICSI; PGS; FET with embryo glue. 21 eggs, 19 mature, 17 fertilized, 9 day 5/6 embryos, 8 PGS-normal.
The nursing staff was overall great, though I thought Mary Jane was the stronger, better organized of the two (she was wonderful).
Always see a doctor for monitoring, though sometimes not your primary doctor. Patients in satellite offices need to go to Manhassat for at least some monitoring appointments and all procedures - Manhassat is definitely busier than Mineola, but still moves fairly quickly. Had a couple of issues with billing, but they were easily resolved. Robyn, who handles insurance logistics for the Mineola office, is excellent and helped me through a really confusing insurance policy.
Monitoring at Manhassat was generally during any window of time, definitely busier. Monitoring in Mineola was for a set time and a breeze.
Insurance covered all procedures except PGS and embryo glue. Total out of pocket was ~$5500, excluding deductibles and coinsurance. I believe i was quoted ~17k (plus medication costs) out of pocket if I didn't have insurance. They gave me the price information very early on in the process.
Describe Christine Mullin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
I strongly wanted to avoid the possibility of multiples, Dr. Mullin agreed with an eSet.
Had to make two requests for my file to be sent to my ob - but could have been my ob offices' error, unclear! Either way not a big issue.
Mineola
Dr. Tomer suggested the use of Clomid to increase egg/ follicle size during my IUI cycles. Although he suggested IVF, he supported our decision to try IUI first. He provided what information he had it turns of financial information for IVF but still respected our decision to try IUI...Dr. Tomer Singer was extremely warm and friendly. Although he was very honest and realistic with his expectations and possible outcomes, it was done with empathy and compassion..
Nursing staff [at North Shore] greeted you by name during visits and responded to questions or concerns in a timely fashion. They are very friendly and made you feel comfortable when asking questions or when i called to inform of failed IUI cycle...Location and hours are extremely accessible and convenient. I was even able to reach someone during holiday hours, Christmas eve...Nursing staff assisted in locating trigger shot at a lower price since the shot was not covered by insurance.
How was your experience with Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr. Singer was very candid when meeting with my husband and i . However, he was sympathetic and kind when addressing our situation and gave us all of our options even if success rates were low. As a man, he was able to support and reassure my husband who was reluctant to receive treatment for our infertility or even attend an appointment. He consistently reassured us and gave us support during our failed cycles.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Continue to practice with care, love and compassion.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr. Tomer Singer was extremely warm and friendly. Although he was very honest and realistic with his expectations and possible outcomes, it was done with empathy and compassion. His office is very inviting and welcoming.
Describe the protocols Tomer Singer used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Dr. Tomer suggested the use of Clomid to increase egg/ follicle size during my IUI cycles. Although he suggested IVF, he supported our decision to try IUI first. He provided what information he had it turns of financial information for IVF but still respected our decision to try IUI. I came in and did blood work and then used the trigger shot to ovulate. Insemination was done about 36 hours post trigger shot the first cycle and about 26 hours post trigger shot the second cycle (my recollection of the timing may be off). Unfortunately both cycles did not result in pregnancy.
Nursing staff greeted you by name during visits and responded to questions or concerns in a timely fashion. They are very friendly and made you feel comfortable when asking questions or when i called to inform of failed IUI cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
All IUI procedural costs were covered by my insurance except for co pays. Nursing staff assisted in locating trigger shot at a lower price since the shot was not covered by insurance.
Lenox Hill
Dr. Hershlag has wonderful bedside manner. He answers all of your questions and tries to make you feel very comfortable. When I first started going to his office he did all of my examinations, not a technician...The day I received the news that my first cycle of IVF didn't work, I was expecting the phone call from one of the nurses, however it was a pleasant surprise to hear him on the other end of the line. He was very sympathetic and I was happy that he took the time to break the news to me. I also like the fact that he's honest and doesn't try to sugarcoat anything.
The nursing staff [at North Shore] is fantastic. They answered my numerous questions without hesitation. I had a few meltdowns during some visits and they were very compassionate and tried their best to help me get through them...I was suppose to receive a phone call with blood results on whether or not I needed to start birth control to start a cycle. I didn't receive the phone call, and by the time a nurse got back to me it was too late to start.
Dr. Hershlag has wonderful bedside manner. He answers all of your questions and tries to make you feel very comfortable. When I first started going to his office he did all of my examinations, not a technician. This was a nice change from my last RE. I have seen almost all of the doctors at this practice, and they are all wonderful. The day I received the news that my first cycle of IVF didn't work, I was expecting the phone call from one of the nurses, however it was a pleasant surprise to hear him on the other end of the line. He was very sympathetic and I was happy that he took the time to break the news to me. I also like the fact that he's honest and doesn't try to sugarcoat anything.
He has a crazy schedule, so you have to be flexible.
Dr.Hershlag takes the time to answer any questions and his gentle persona makes you feel very comfortable through stressful times.
I'll be honest, it was all so very overwhelming that I am not sure of the specifics. I trusted that he knew what to do because he was highly recommended, and I just did everything they told me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Cathy and Jenny)
The nursing staff is fantastic. They answered my numerous questions without hesitation. I had a few meltdowns during some visits and they were very compassionate and tried their best to help me get through them. They are very knowledgeable about medications and procedures, as they should be, however they explained it in a simple manner for me to understand. They really made a stressful and scary time a lot easier.
The clinics reception staff is outstanding. They are always personable and know you on a first name basis. They try to accommodate you any way they can. The one weakness here is the billing department. Latarsha is wonderful, however other people need to be trained better. I believe you shouldn't sit with a client and quote prices of procedures unless your 100% sure of what you're saying... This is a very stressful time, and false information only makes it that much harder.
I was suppose to receive a phone call with blood results on whether or not I needed to start birth control to start a cycle. I didn't receive the phone call, and by the time a nurse got back to me it was too late to start. I guess everything happens for a reason. This situation has been addressed at the clinic.
2015, Successful
He [Dr Cohen] was great at patience -- he always sat down, he never made me feel like he was in a rush, he always remembered me, he always answered all of my questions even if they sounded insane, he was always very compassionate when I would freak out, he was always ready to move on when I moved on and never pressured me into anything.
Strengths: it was comfortable, clean, efficient. There were two specific ladies in the reception area who were absolute angels. Weaknesses: sometimes we waited a very long time...No one told me that I wasn't allowed to take advil during treatments until after I took a lot for backache. No one told my husband when he was supposed to start his antibiotics for the IVF cycle, so he never took them. When I called the nurse to ask how my embryos were developing , they read me the results from the day before instead of from that day so I was panicking about the lack of development. They didn't tell us until very last minute (a week before our scheduled IUI) that my husband would need to get re-tested for genetic diseases and then the doctor (not Dr. Cohen) criticized me and my husband because my husband didn't accompany me to the first appointment where he claims he would have remembered to tell him.
He was great at patience -- he always sat down, he never made me feel like he was in a rush, he always remembered me, he always answered all of my questions even if they sounded insane, he was always very compassionate when I would freak out, he was always ready to move on when I moved on and never pressured me into anything.
Even if he seems a little cold at first, it's not a real coldness, it's just a personality. He's very kind and warm.
He was the kindest doctor. He had a ton of patience, always waiting until I asked all of my questions. He always told me all of the facts and didn't keep me guessing or waiting.
By the time I switched to Dr. Cohen, I had already been on 2 failed cycles of chlomid. I switched over to him to try an IUI - he upped my dosage of chlomid because I was only producing 1 egg a month with it, and we scheduled 2 timed IUIs with injections. I did that twice. I didn't want to do a third because my 2nd IUI was too hard for me and he didn't pressure me to try again even though he said 4 IUIs are standard. We moved onto IVF and it was successful.
Some of them were great - really helpful and compassionate and clear. Other nurses were a little rougher or impatient. A few nurses forgot to tell us some medications that we were supposed to use or not allowed to use. One nurse also read me the wrong report about my embryo development so I experienced a traumatic few days where I thought none of my embryos were developing normally. But there were a few really nice ones.
I went in early in the morning before work so I didn't usually have very long lines. Sometimes I walked right in for blood work and stepped directly into the room for a sonogram. Other times there was a little bit of a longer wait but it was never terrible.
IUI I believe was a bit less than $500, IVF medication I think was around $12k, IVF processes was around $14k but we got $4k back.

2010, Successful
...warm, knowledgeable, and interested in my questions and concerns...My husband was reluctant to do a varicocele procedure, and Dr. Hershlag was very supportive of this and did not push. ... I found him to be excellent; extremely compassionate and caring, and like someone who truly loves what he does. When I had trouble finding a doctor in NYC to do certain testing on my husband due to his varicocele, he was extremely helpful and recommended some others
I called the office [Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)] several times with crazy nervous questions and they were always extremely kind and helpful... Although to a certain extent I felt like a number in his office because there were so many people coming in and out of the office, I got the sense that this is how it is in all clinics. ...
Again, I had some personal connection to Dr. Hershag since he was a friend of a friend, but I found him to be excellent; extremely compassionate and caring, and like someone who truly loves what he does. When I had trouble finding a doctor in NYC to do certain testing on my husband due to his varicocele, he was extremely helpful and recommended some others. I did have one appointment with one other doctor when Dr. Hershlag was on vacation, and he was also very nice. My husband was reluctant to do a varicocele procedure, and Dr. Hershlag was very supportive of this and did not push. We did one round of clomid which did not result in ovulation, and so they adjusted the clomid and on the second round I did ovulate and we did an IUI which was successful. Dr. Hershlag monitored me for the next 6 weeks or so, and during that time I called the office several times with crazy nervous questions and they were always extremely kind and helpful. Another plus for me was that I did not feel he pushed unnecessary procedures on me just to make money, which I have found with other doctors.
Nothing- I really had a wonderful experience.
I did know Dr. Hershlag through friends of my parents, so I'm not sure whether my experience was representative, but I always found him to be warm, knowledgeable, and interested in my questions and concerns. Although to a certain extent I felt like a number in his office because there were so many people coming in and out of the office, I got the sense that this is how it is in all clinics.
First he did testing on both partners. As my issue was lack of ovulation, we decided to tackle that first and we started on clomid. After first round did not work, he increased dosage and I did ovulate the second round. I came in every day around that time to see whether I had ovulated, and I got two shots (profesterone?) to make me ovulate. I also did IUI on three successive days. When I came in two weeks later, I had a positive pregnancy test. I then needed to come back once a week until a heartbeat was detected (around six weeks).
I honestly can't remember. I remember them being very nice.
I paid a copay each time but otherwise was completely covered by insurance.
Manhasset

This doctor [Dr. Hershlag] was honest but blunt. He tended to walk away after delivering heart breaking news.... He is extremely knowledgeable and consise. I think he could improve in the areas of empathy and support post disappointing news. I think he is a great doctor, I personally needed someone with more hand holding skills. It’s a trying time and you need to feel fully supported.... I had experienced 2 miscarriages and over a year of trying prior to seeking treatment for a fertility clinic. We began with Mutilple tests for my husband and I, followed by IUI’s. We suffered two more miscarriages and are now beginning IVF.
The staff [Northwell Health] is professional and always friendly. It’s the little things that help you through this journey, from the receptionist just remembering your first name when checking in m, to a nurse taking the time to console you.... The nursing staff is amazing. They always took the time to sit with me and further explain any information we didn’t understand after meeting with the doctors. They’re at times hard to initially contact via phone, but promptly return phone calls the same day.... One time my progesterone prescription was not promptly called in. However this was additionally an insurance issue.
Ask lots of questions.
The clinic is great and I’m continuing my tx there. However I do believe working in this field for many years, staff becomes desensitized to the emotional toll infertility and loss has on humans and couples. This doctor was honest but blunt. He tended to walk away after delivering heart breaking news.
The staff is professional and always friendly. It’s the little things that help you through this journey, from the receptionist just remembering your first name when checking in m, to a nurse taking the time to console you.
Manhasset

Tomer Singer is knowledgeable and extremely caring. I always felt like I was in good hands. He gave great advise and was sensitive to all of our concerns. He had incredible bedside manner. Could not recommend him enough!... [Eset Approach] Singer explained all the pros and cons of both. We transferred two for the first transfer and had a miscarriage. The second round we only did one transfer and it worked!
The nurses [Northwell Health] and Dr. Singer were great. I had a lot of confidence in their advise, knowledge, etc. The facility had open hours in the mornings before work and weekends out in Long Island. The provided car service to Long Island for procedures. The front of the office staff was a little flustered and disorganized.... Dr. Singer and his team were so careful and sensitive with the stresses of infertility and their treatment. They were also all very patient. I never felt like a number.
Book far in advance. Know how aggressive you want to be with treatment. I would fully understand the pros and cons of each procedure before proceeding.
We started with hormone injectables, went thru IUI's and then progressed to IVF. IVF was successful after the 2nd time around.
Compassionate and knowledgeable. Many of the nurses were familiar with IVF from personal experience.
The nurses and Dr. Singer were great. I had a lot of confidence in their advise, knowledge, etc. The facility had open hours in the mornings before work and weekends out in Long Island. The provided car service to Long Island for procedures. The front of the office staff was a little flustered and disorganized.
We had to pay all costs - $25 - $30K
Describe Tomer Singer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Embryo Freezing
I think he [Dr. Hershlag] explains it all and is a caring and understanding professional...egg retrieval is the process i am undergoing. I was given the standard medication injectables...He as very informative, kind and compassionate. He took his time to explain the process, procedure, historical outcomes, etc. I was very pleased with his assessment and my 'gut' felt it was right...feel as though (still on going) that I am in good hands and with a seasoned professional in the field.
she [nurse at Northwell Health] was available; returned calls, answered all my silly and repetitive questions. She walked me through the medication protocal and was on top of everything...I had uterine fibroids removed a few years ago and now i am undergoing egg freezing. I am a returning patient as i feel that i had been well taken care of at this hospital and feel that the doctors i have encountered there are experts in their field.
I felt at ease at his office and with his staff of nurses. I feel as though (still on going) that I am in good hands and with a seasoned professional in the field. I am an intuitive person and go strongly by my gut feelings as there are many things in life, the prospects of motherhood as one, that i can not control, but put my faith in those who dedicate their lives to this work, Dr. Hershlag being one of them
I think he explains it all and is a caring and understanding professional. There is little advice i can give someone as I am in this myself.
egg retrieval is the process i am undergoing. I was given the standard medication injectables. That is all really.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: nurse jackie)
she was available; returned calls, answered all my silly and repetitive questions. She walked me through the medication protocal and was on top of everything.
I have a extensive medical history at NSLIJ Northwell health. I had uterine fibroids removed a few years ago and now i am undergoing egg freezing. I am a returning patient as i feel that i had been well taken care of at this hospital and feel that the doctors i have encountered there are experts in their field.
out of pocket for 9K. Meds were covered by insurance.
nope applicable.
Manhasset

Dr. Rausch is extraordinarily compassionate. She demonstrated sensitivity towards my situation and history of miscarriage.... She is the most compassionate doctor I have come across. I genuinely feel that she has my best interests at heart. She took the time to thoroughly explain my test results and the IVF procedure. She is extremely knowledgeable and trustworthy. Above all, I felt that she truly cares about her patients.
Strength [of Northwell Health]: I was able to get an appointment right away, even as a new patient Weakness: inability to contact front desk and most times, you must leave a voicemail. It is difficult to get someone on the phone. The phone is not answered at all on weekends.... Doreen was extremely compassionate. She took the time to ease my anxiety and explain procedures in detail.
Be prepared with all of your questions. She will take the necessary time to answer all each question thoroughly and honestly.
IVF, which was converted to IUI due to only 2 follicles teaching the desired measurements. I was on 300 mL of Menopur and 300 mL of Gonal-f, in addition to 0.25 mg of Cetrotide. I was also administered Clomid for 5 days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Doreen )
Strength: I was able to get an appointment right away, even as a new patient Weakness: inability to contact front desk and most times, you must leave a voicemail. It is difficult to get someone on the phone. The phone is not answered at all on weekends.
$7,000 copay for IVF (Emblem Health)
Manhasset
He [Dr. Hershlag] made me feel so happy and was such a pleasure to talk to..He’s compassionate which is so rare. He’s knowledgeable and explains everything in a way that makes sense...They were amzing! Very personalized and would spend time explaining everything. I absolutely adore him and his staff....4 vials is menapur 300 of follastim Menapur Cetratide All used to generate eggs. Cetratide used to delay ovulation...
Nurse practitioner - Dorene- is amazing. Lauren - another doctors nurse that sometimes covered for Hershlag’s nurse was amazing and so understanding Jenny - Hershlag’s nurse- nice but I felt like I was bothering her sometimes...Well organized and friendly staff [North Shore Long Island Jewish]. I have not recognized any weaknesses yet. For blood work and sono you do not need an appointment. You just go in between 7-9. Waiting times weren’t bad at all. I was always in and out in 20 mins at most.
He made me feel so happy and was such a pleasure to talk to. I feel that I wasted my time at the other practice I went to after meeting him. He’s compassionate which is so rare. He’s knowledgeable and explains everything in a way that makes sense.
Don’t bother going to any other clinics.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Jenny )
Nurse practitioner - Dorene- is amazing. Lauren - another doctors nurse that sometimes covered for Hershlag’s nurse was amazing and so understanding Jenny - Hershlag’s nurse- nice but I felt like I was bothering her sometimes. Didn’t feel that way with anyone else in the practice.
Well organized and friendly staff. I have not recognized any weaknesses yet. For blood work and sono you do not need an appointment. You just go in between 7-9. Waiting times weren’t bad at all. I was always in and out in 20 mins at most.
Easy to do. Quick, no wait, orderly.
Pay upfront for all copays and services. No payment plan.
Manhasset
Dr. San Roman is an amazing doctor and person. I and my partner felt at ease and well informed with him. He takes the time to get to know his patients. He was referred to me by a friend who had much success and had a baby girl with his help. I would would recommend him wholeheartedly to couples trying to conceive.... He was very meticulous with how and when to take the medication and well as the the rest of the process.
Everyone [North Shore] was super sweet and compassionate.... It wasn’t as expensive as I expected it to be, especially since we paid out of pocket.... I don’t have anything negative to say about the clinic except for the fact that it is a bit far for us. We are in Brooklyn so traveling to Long Island can be taxing and can be a bit of an inconvenience.... Dr. San Roman is an amazing doctor and person. I and my partner felt at ease and well informed with him.
Do not give up and stay positive!
He was patient, kind and everyone was amazing at the office.
Everyone was super sweet and compassionate.
2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Tomer Singer] is great and very detailed, but sometimes I did feel his practice was getting so big and there were too many patients for him. But when I had complications he was amazing and called to check in on the weekends and at night.... The front desk staff is great and the techs are amazing! The really treat you as a individual. Morning Apts always are on time and quick but the afternoon Apts always ran late
He [Dr. Tomer Singer] is great and very detailed, but sometimes I did feel his practice was getting so big and there were too many patients for him. But when I had complications he was amazing and called to check in on the weekends and at night.... The front desk staff [at North Shore Long Island Jewish] is great and the techs are amazing! The really treat you as a individual. Morning Apts always are on time and quick but the afternoon Apts always ran late
He is great and very detailed, but sometimes I did feel his practice was getting so big and there were too many patients for him. But when I had complications he was amazing and called to check in on the weekends and at night.
Ask a lot of questions
it is a great experience because it is such a small office and you really get to know the staff
Clomid for the iui to make me ovulate since I have pcos and then low dose of the injections for the retrieval because I was at high risk of ohss
The RNs were friendly and always available to speak. They were helpful with the injections teaching as well
Very efficient
My insurance covered 80%of each round but the drugs were expensive one round of IVF was around $6000 out of pocket
He would rather transfer one at a time but was not opposed to two
Lenox Hill
He genuinely cares about each patient, however, he reminded us of Sheldon Cooper on big bang theory - genius with limited social interaction skills. That being said, we would definitely go back to him in the future and recommend him to anyone looking.
Strength -At major hospital Weakness - Difficult to get to, had to drive...Whenever we were unsure of how to proceed, the nurses were kind and patient and made sure calls were returned in a timely manner. They more than made up the lack of bedside manner of Dr. Cohen...He was very down to earth and explained things to us at every turn. He is definitely a little quirky, but was patient with us and treated us like mature adults, never talking over our heads. Would definitely recommend him and his staff to anyone looking
His social interaction skills are limited, but he more than makes up for it with his genius. In the end, as long as you get your baby, do you really care that you were treated by Dr. Spock?
Strength -At major hospital Weakness - Difficult to get to, had to drive
2013, Successful
He [Dr. Hershlag] will exhaust every possible option to get you pregnant!....Caring, compassionate, thoughtful, knowledgeable...I have twins to prove it (let me note that Dr. H was adamant about transferring one embryo.) My husband and I had been through the ringer at that point and this IVF cycle was our last. Mentally and physically my body could not handle it. BUT I pushed and Dr H obliged begrudgingly and said we would most certainly have twins and as long as I knew all the risks he would not transfer more than two embryos so don't even think about it....
The whole establishment [at North Shore Long Island Jewish Fertility] knew what they were doing. I have twins to prove it (let me note that Dr. H was adamant about transferring one embryo.) My husband and I had been through the ringer at that point and this IVF cycle was our last. Mentally and physically my body could not handle it. BUT I pushed and Dr H obliged begrudgingly and said we would most certainly have twins and as long as I knew all the risks he would not transfer more than two embryos so don't even think about it....
Caring, compassionate, thoughtful, knowledgable. The whole establishment knew what they were doing. I have twins to prove it (let me note that Dr. H was adamant about transferring one embryo.) My husband and I had been through the ringer at that point and this IVF cycle was our last. Mentally and physically my body could not handle it. BUT I pushed and Dr H obliged begrudgingly and said we would most certainly have twins and as long as I knew all the risks he would not transfer more than two embryos so don't even think about it.... Three weeks later an ultra sound confirmed two sacks were there. Every single person I meet that is in this situation gets referred to him. Honestly, he is just the best at what he does.
He will exhaust every possible option to get you pregnant!
Like I was the only patient he had.
2013, Successful
Dr Hershlag is very knowledgeable and explained every step throughout the process...He ended every session with a hug which I appreciated
He was very thorough and explained everything throughout the process.
Be prepared to wait a long time in the waiting room. He's great so it's worth it.
Dr Hershlag is very knowledgable and explained every step throughout the process. He also thoroughly answered any questions that we had. He ended every session with a hug which I appreciated. However, the wait times in his office are unbearable! It is typical to have to wait over an hour for an appointment even if you are the first appointment of the day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Carol)
She was so sweet and funny. I know some other patients at the clinic and everyone raves about how great she is.

2014 - 2016, Unknown Success
Dr. San Roman never makes you feel like just a statistic, he is always patient, kind and listens to your concerns. He tells you exactly what the course of treatment will be and what the chances are of success...
CLEANLINESS. This [North Shore Long Island Jewish - Smithtown] office is clean ALL THE TIME. The staff is compassionate and friendly and the appointment times are always in line with what fits your schedule...
CLEANLINESS. This office is clean ALL THE TIME. The staff is compassionate and friendly and the appointment times are always in line with what fits your schedule.