6.8

285 Middle Country Road
Smithtown, NY 11787
(631) 650 2229

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Tomer Singer] is great and very detailed, but sometimes I did feel his practice was getting so big and there were too many patients for him. But when I had complications he was amazing and called to check in on the weekends and at night.... The front desk staff is great and the techs are amazing! The really treat you as a individual. Morning Apts always are on time and quick but the afternoon Apts always ran late
He [Dr. Tomer Singer] is great and very detailed, but sometimes I did feel his practice was getting so big and there were too many patients for him. But when I had complications he was amazing and called to check in on the weekends and at night.... The front desk staff [at North Shore Long Island Jewish] is great and the techs are amazing! The really treat you as a individual. Morning Apts always are on time and quick but the afternoon Apts always ran late
How was your experience with Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He is great and very detailed, but sometimes I did feel his practice was getting so big and there were too many patients for him. But when I had complications he was amazing and called to check in on the weekends and at night.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Ask a lot of questions
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
it is a great experience because it is such a small office and you really get to know the staff
Describe the protocols Tomer Singer used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Clomid for the iui to make me ovulate since I have pcos and then low dose of the injections for the retrieval because I was at high risk of ohss
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
The RNs were friendly and always available to speak. They were helpful with the injections teaching as well
Describe your experience with Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Very efficient
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
My insurance covered 80%of each round but the drugs were expensive one round of IVF was around $6000 out of pocket
Describe Tomer Singer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
He would rather transfer one at a time but was not opposed to two
Tomer Singer
Lenox Hill
He genuinely cares about each patient, however, he reminded us of Sheldon Cooper on big bang theory - genius with limited social interaction skills. That being said, we would definitely go back to him in the future and recommend him to anyone looking.
Strength -At major hospital Weakness - Difficult to get to, had to drive...Whenever we were unsure of how to proceed, the nurses were kind and patient and made sure calls were returned in a timely manner. They more than made up the lack of bedside manner of Dr. Cohen...He was very down to earth and explained things to us at every turn. He is definitely a little quirky, but was patient with us and treated us like mature adults, never talking over our heads. Would definitely recommend him and his staff to anyone looking
How was your experience with Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
His social interaction skills are limited, but he more than makes up for it with his genius. In the end, as long as you get your baby, do you really care that you were treated by Dr. Spock?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Strength -At major hospital Weakness - Difficult to get to, had to drive
Matthew Cohen

2014 - 2016, Unknown Success
Dr. San Roman never makes you feel like just a statistic, he is always patient, kind and listens to your concerns. He tells you exactly what the course of treatment will be and what the chances are of success...
CLEANLINESS. This [North Shore Long Island Jewish - Smithtown] office is clean ALL THE TIME. The staff is compassionate and friendly and the appointment times are always in line with what fits your schedule...
How was your experience with Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
CLEANLINESS. This office is clean ALL THE TIME. The staff is compassionate and friendly and the appointment times are always in line with what fits your schedule.
Gabe San Roman
Smithtown
2015, Successful
He [Dr Cohen] was great at patience -- he always sat down, he never made me feel like he was in a rush, he always remembered me, he always answered all of my questions even if they sounded insane, he was always very compassionate when I would freak out, he was always ready to move on when I moved on and never pressured me into anything.
Strengths: it was comfortable, clean, efficient. There were two specific ladies in the reception area who were absolute angels. Weaknesses: sometimes we waited a very long time...No one told me that I wasn't allowed to take advil during treatments until after I took a lot for backache. No one told my husband when he was supposed to start his antibiotics for the IVF cycle, so he never took them. When I called the nurse to ask how my embryos were developing , they read me the results from the day before instead of from that day so I was panicking about the lack of development. They didn't tell us until very last minute (a week before our scheduled IUI) that my husband would need to get re-tested for genetic diseases and then the doctor (not Dr. Cohen) criticized me and my husband because my husband didn't accompany me to the first appointment where he claims he would have remembered to tell him.
He was great at patience -- he always sat down, he never made me feel like he was in a rush, he always remembered me, he always answered all of my questions even if they sounded insane, he was always very compassionate when I would freak out, he was always ready to move on when I moved on and never pressured me into anything.
Even if he seems a little cold at first, it's not a real coldness, it's just a personality. He's very kind and warm.
He was the kindest doctor. He had a ton of patience, always waiting until I asked all of my questions. He always told me all of the facts and didn't keep me guessing or waiting.
Describe the protocols Matthew Cohen used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
By the time I switched to Dr. Cohen, I had already been on 2 failed cycles of chlomid. I switched over to him to try an IUI - he upped my dosage of chlomid because I was only producing 1 egg a month with it, and we scheduled 2 timed IUIs with injections. I did that twice. I didn't want to do a third because my 2nd IUI was too hard for me and he didn't pressure me to try again even though he said 4 IUIs are standard. We moved onto IVF and it was successful.
Some of them were great - really helpful and compassionate and clear. Other nurses were a little rougher or impatient. A few nurses forgot to tell us some medications that we were supposed to use or not allowed to use. One nurse also read me the wrong report about my embryo development so I experienced a traumatic few days where I thought none of my embryos were developing normally. But there were a few really nice ones.
I went in early in the morning before work so I didn't usually have very long lines. Sometimes I walked right in for blood work and stepped directly into the room for a sonogram. Other times there was a little bit of a longer wait but it was never terrible.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
IUI I believe was a bit less than $500, IVF medication I think was around $12k, IVF processes was around $14k but we got $4k back.
What specific things went wrong at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Matthew Cohen
2013, Successful
He [Dr. Hershlag] will exhaust every possible option to get you pregnant!....Caring, compassionate, thoughtful, knowledgeable...I have twins to prove it (let me note that Dr. H was adamant about transferring one embryo.) My husband and I had been through the ringer at that point and this IVF cycle was our last. Mentally and physically my body could not handle it. BUT I pushed and Dr H obliged begrudgingly and said we would most certainly have twins and as long as I knew all the risks he would not transfer more than two embryos so don't even think about it....
The whole establishment [at North Shore Long Island Jewish Fertility] knew what they were doing. I have twins to prove it (let me note that Dr. H was adamant about transferring one embryo.) My husband and I had been through the ringer at that point and this IVF cycle was our last. Mentally and physically my body could not handle it. BUT I pushed and Dr H obliged begrudgingly and said we would most certainly have twins and as long as I knew all the risks he would not transfer more than two embryos so don't even think about it....
How was your experience with Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Caring, compassionate, thoughtful, knowledgable. The whole establishment knew what they were doing. I have twins to prove it (let me note that Dr. H was adamant about transferring one embryo.) My husband and I had been through the ringer at that point and this IVF cycle was our last. Mentally and physically my body could not handle it. BUT I pushed and Dr H obliged begrudgingly and said we would most certainly have twins and as long as I knew all the risks he would not transfer more than two embryos so don't even think about it.... Three weeks later an ultra sound confirmed two sacks were there. Every single person I meet that is in this situation gets referred to him. Honestly, he is just the best at what he does.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He will exhaust every possible option to get you pregnant!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Like I was the only patient he had.
2013, Successful
Dr Hershlag is very knowledgeable and explained every step throughout the process...He ended every session with a hug which I appreciated
He was very thorough and explained everything throughout the process.
Be prepared to wait a long time in the waiting room. He's great so it's worth it.
Dr Hershlag is very knowledgable and explained every step throughout the process. He also thoroughly answered any questions that we had. He ended every session with a hug which I appreciated. However, the wait times in his office are unbearable! It is typical to have to wait over an hour for an appointment even if you are the first appointment of the day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Carol)
She was so sweet and funny. I know some other patients at the clinic and everyone raves about how great she is.

2010, Successful
...warm, knowledgeable, and interested in my questions and concerns...My husband was reluctant to do a varicocele procedure, and Dr. Hershlag was very supportive of this and did not push. ... I found him to be excellent; extremely compassionate and caring, and like someone who truly loves what he does. When I had trouble finding a doctor in NYC to do certain testing on my husband due to his varicocele, he was extremely helpful and recommended some others
I called the office [Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)] several times with crazy nervous questions and they were always extremely kind and helpful... Although to a certain extent I felt like a number in his office because there were so many people coming in and out of the office, I got the sense that this is how it is in all clinics. ...
Again, I had some personal connection to Dr. Hershag since he was a friend of a friend, but I found him to be excellent; extremely compassionate and caring, and like someone who truly loves what he does. When I had trouble finding a doctor in NYC to do certain testing on my husband due to his varicocele, he was extremely helpful and recommended some others. I did have one appointment with one other doctor when Dr. Hershlag was on vacation, and he was also very nice. My husband was reluctant to do a varicocele procedure, and Dr. Hershlag was very supportive of this and did not push. We did one round of clomid which did not result in ovulation, and so they adjusted the clomid and on the second round I did ovulate and we did an IUI which was successful. Dr. Hershlag monitored me for the next 6 weeks or so, and during that time I called the office several times with crazy nervous questions and they were always extremely kind and helpful. Another plus for me was that I did not feel he pushed unnecessary procedures on me just to make money, which I have found with other doctors.
Nothing- I really had a wonderful experience.
I did know Dr. Hershlag through friends of my parents, so I'm not sure whether my experience was representative, but I always found him to be warm, knowledgeable, and interested in my questions and concerns. Although to a certain extent I felt like a number in his office because there were so many people coming in and out of the office, I got the sense that this is how it is in all clinics.
Describe the protocols Avner Hershlag used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
First he did testing on both partners. As my issue was lack of ovulation, we decided to tackle that first and we started on clomid. After first round did not work, he increased dosage and I did ovulate the second round. I came in every day around that time to see whether I had ovulated, and I got two shots (profesterone?) to make me ovulate. I also did IUI on three successive days. When I came in two weeks later, I had a positive pregnancy test. I then needed to come back once a week until a heartbeat was detected (around six weeks).
I honestly can't remember. I remember them being very nice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
I paid a copay each time but otherwise was completely covered by insurance.