6.3

285 Middle Country Road
Smithtown, NY 11787
(631) 650 2229

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Christine Mullin] is very smart but wasn’t very hands on until I did ivf. Then she was very hands on, but would still have other doctors do other procedures. She would explain information only on person otherwise would have to talk to nurse practitioner or nurses...he would do single transfers since they were tested...For iuis, she wouldn’t use injectable’s because of pcos and for ivf she started with try low and slow process.
[Northwell Health] Strengths is timeliness with giving back results, communication within 24 hours, provide information about process if asked. weakness is no online way to communicate, same cookie cutter procedures, if do not ask question then won’t provide information...The nursing staff is wonderful. They really make you feel like a person. The nurse practitioner has moments of not tie warmest bedside manner and also have to advocate, but the staff really makes you feel cared for during such a stressful process.
How was your experience with Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
She is very smart but wasn’t very hands on until I did ivf. Then she was very hands on, but would still have other doctors do other procedures. She would explain information only on person otherwise would have to talk to nurse practitioner or nurses.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Come with detailed questions and be thorough when advocating for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Felt like a combination depending on the scenario. Sometimes feel like just another number and do the same procedures but if I follow up and advocate, then can feel more like a person.
Describe the protocols Christine Mullin used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
It depends on the scenario. For iuis, she wouldn’t use injectable’s because of pcos and for ivf she started with try low and slow process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Maryjane)
Describe your experience with Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Available before work but still had to get there a certain time to be seen before work ended.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christine Mullin at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
A lot was covered under insurance but other than that, seems like standard prices.
Describe Christine Mullin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
She would do single transfers since they were tested.
What specific things went wrong at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
I had to ask if certain bloodwork would be done and follow up about medications sent in for prescriptions.

2017 - 2022, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Matthew Cohen] handled me with delicate hands. He knew that I had a very hard uphill battle, with my advance age and he let me down easy...He is very good at what he does and I feel safe working with him. I feel that I am not being lied to just to get my money. I have referred a close friend and her husband to Dr. Cohen, who was also going through infertility. They had a successful outcome with the doctor.
My only problem with the [Northwell Health] clinic is, its very hard to get the receptionist on the phone to try to schedule an appointment or get information on which covering doctor is in on that day. I often leave messages and the receptionist stills does not call me back. That’s why I call my nurse on their direct line...nursing team was very encouraging. Holding my hand throughout the entire process. They always took my calls and made themselves available to me whenever I needed them.
How was your experience with Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He is very good at what he does and I feel safe working with him. I feel that I am not being lied to just to get my money. I have referred a close friend and her husband to Dr. Cohen, who was also going through infertility. They had a successful outcome with the doctor. Their baby will turn 1 this June 2022.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Only to be patient with him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He handled me with delicate hands. He knew that I had a very hard uphill battle, with my advance age and he let me down easy.
Describe the protocols Matthew Cohen used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
We used Gonal-F, Menopur and Cetrotide during both of my cycles. I must say that I got very good results with them. Dr. Cohen was able to retrieve a total of 19 eggs in all and created 6 embryos. Unfortunately because of my advance maternal age, my embryos were not viable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Mary Ann)
His nursing team was very encouraging. Holding my hand throughout the entire process. They always took my calls and made themselves available to me whenever I needed them.
My only problem with the clinic is, its very hard to get the receptionist on the phone to try to schedule an appointment or get information on which covering doctor is in on that day. I often leave messages and the receptionist stills does not call me back. That’s why I call my nurse on their direct line.
Every time I did a cycle I would make my appointments for the morning. Around 7:30 am. Usually I would be seen within 15 minutes of my appointment and it often went smoothly. Even before Covid-19, the clinic was not really crowded.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Because I have my co-payments totaled $5,000. But my insurance does not cover IVF medication which totaled $10,000. And it does not cover donor egg, which totaled $15,000. And genetic testing totaled and additional $5,000.
Describe Matthew Cohen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Because I did not have any viable embryos, we did not have a transfer. But we did do a transfer with donor eggs, which was not successful.
They accidentally threw out the sperm sample. They were supposed to freeze the sample after analyzing it, not throw it out.

2022, Consult
For Dr. Maxwell herself, I have only met her twice...I have a pretty good impression on her. She is very patient and willing to spend time with me to answer my question...I came in for embryo banking, and decided to drop out the process after two visits...I would suggest them to avoid her at the UES location,
The [Northwell Health] team is the main reason that I decided to drop out the process. The overall impression I got from her team including her assistant, her insurance coordinator and her nurse is that you need to CHASE them for things even for things that they promised, such as give you a call or send you some instructions.
How was your experience with Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
For Dr. Maxwell herself, I have only met her twice since I decided to drop out from the process early due to her team. I have a pretty good impression on her. She is very patient and willing to spend time with me to answer my question.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
I would suggest them to avoid her at the UES location, since the nursing and admin team are horrible.
Describe the protocols Susan McClelland Maxwell used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
The team is the main reason that I decided to drop out the process. The overall impression I got from her team including her assistant, her insurance coordinator and her nurse is that you need to CHASE them for things even for things that they promised, such as give you a call or send you some instructions. If you don't chase them, they won't do it. Two things lead to my decision to drop out. 1) Her insurance coordinator: I have two different insurances (primary and secondary), so finding out if I have coverage is tricker than most people. I called this person one month before my planned cycle to see if I have coverage and she promised to get back to me once she spoke with the insurance company. However she never called back. I have to chase her for days when my cycle start date approaching. And I only heard back from her the day before I need to get my bloodwork and start my medication, and she was still not clear about my coverage at that time. 2) Her nursing team is not better either. I showed up for my bloodwork since I really wanted to proceed with my procedure, and her nurse promised to give me a call to tell me if I am ready for the medication the same day. However, she never called me either. I emailed her to follow up in the afternoon and only found out she is out of the office. The whole process gave me a lot of anxiety and upsetting moments. I feel like even I were to proceed, with such careless treatment from her team, I am not sure what the end result would be. But dropping out from the procedure is also costly and painful, since I already spent months on her team and paid thousands out of pocket for all kinds of testing, and now I need to start all over again.
I chose this clinic since it is very close to what I live. I am not sure about other branches, but from my experience, the staff from the UES is not so good.For more information, please see my previous comment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
For embryo banking, the procedure is about $10,500, medication is depend on how much you will use, around $5,000-$7,000.
Describe Susan McClelland Maxwell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
I haven't got to that point yet.
Please see my previous comment about the staff.
Susan McClelland Maxwell

2022, Successful
Dr. Chang was wonderful, very sweet. She listened to all my concerns and needs. She read all my files, years worth of information. Agreed to things I wanted to do, and didn’t force a protocol on me that I wasn’t comfortable with. Always available to talk, even called or emailed to check up on me. She is absolutely by far one of the best doctors I have had, I have been to 5 others, and only 1 other was as good as her...
It is not a a big clinic [Northwell Health], so you don’t feel like just a number like other bigger clinics. You are seen pretty quickly, you do not have to wait and everything is run smoothly. It is clean, nice and organized...All [nurses] were wonderful and caring! Always available to talk about anything and everything...Morning monitoring was 7-. They are very efficient, and accommodating if you are late they don’t turn you away like other clinics I have been at...
How was your experience with Sydney Chang at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sydney Chang at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Use her! She has your best interest at heart!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sydney Chang at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
She took the time to get to know me, read all of my files which are years worth of information. Cared about what I wanted, followed up with me on multiple occasions when I was not expecting it. She is kind and warm and am so glad To have had her as my doctor.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
All were wonderful and caring! Always available to talk about anything and everything!
It is not a a big clinic, so you don’t feel like just a number like other bigger clinics. You are seen pretty quickly, you do not have to wait and everything is run smoothly. It is clean, nice and organized.
Sydney Chang
2022, Unknown Success
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
She [Dr. Mullin] was kind caring and considerate of my needs. I shared that i had a previously negative experience that resulted in some fear related to meeting a new doctor. She made me safe and heard. I really appreciated the care i am receiving from her...She allowed me to communicate my needs and i feel like my needs are being met when i attend visits. I find her to have patience as well. Dr. Mullins allowed space for understanding...
The strengths that this office [Northwell Health] is that they are prompt, knowledgeable and flexible. If I had to address a weakness it would be that they are very full and sometimes you have to wait passed your appointment time. Also, the financial staff is wonderful...[nursing staff is] Timely, gentle ,caring...Dr. Mullins is open, honest , caring and understanding. She allowed me to communicate my needs and i feel like my needs are being met when i attend visits. I find her to have patience as well. Dr. Mullins allowed space for understanding.
Know that you are getting great care with her and to be honest about your fertility journey.
She was kind caring and considerate of my needs. I shared that i had a previously negative experience that resulted in some fear related to meeting a new doctor. She made me safe and heard. I really appreciated the care i am receiving from her.
I do not remember
Timely, gentle ,caring
The strengths that this office is that they are prompt, knowledgeable and flexible. If I had to address a weakness it would be that they are very full and sometimes you have to wait passed your appointment time. Also, the financial staff is wonderful.
I do not remember the cost
No comments
2020 - 2021, Consult
Dr. Mullin spends time with every patient and truly puts a lot of time and effort into making individualized plans of care for each of her patients...spent the time to closely evaluate and adjust medications for IVF to carefully stimulate with PCOS to get the best possible number of healthy embryos and avoid severe hyperstimulation...I never felt rushed and always knew that she was taking the time to look at my results to make the best possible plan for my care....
Mary Jane, the nurse practitioner [at Northwell Health], goes above and beyond as well to answer all questions and lay out the entire plan so that you know what is coming. All of the nursing staff is so amazing...The clinic feels so personal as it is a small office and you truly get to know and love the staff! As all offices are busy because they must see all of their patients in a small morning window, they work very hard to get everyone in and out as quickly as possible
Dr. Mullin always spends the time to discuss your plan of care and answer any and all questions thoroughly. I never felt rushed and always knew that she was taking the time to look at my results to make the best possible plan for my care. You can always tell how much Dr Mullin truly cares about you as a patient and that is invested in seeing you have a great outcome!
I highly recommend choosing Dr Mullin and the Mineola office
Dr. Mullin spends time with every patient and truly puts a lot of time and effort into making individualized plans of care for each of her patients. I felt like I was on an assembly line at another clinic and with Dr Mullin you know she is always looking at you as an individual when making the decisions for treatment
Dr Mullin and MaryJane always spent the time to closely evaluate and adjust medications for IVF to carefully stimulate with PCOS to get the best possible number of healthy embryos and avoid severe hyperstimulation
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Erin, Kathy )
Erin and Kathy were always so amazing with taking the time to give detailed instructions so I always knew what to do and when to return. They both show so much compassion for patients going through this process and always answer all of my questions. Mary Jane, the nurse practitioner, goes above and beyond as well to answer all questions and lay out the entire plan so that you know what is coming. All of the nursing staff is so amazing and you will not find such care anywhere else!
2018 - 2021, Successful
Dr Mullin explained things clearly, had amazing bedside manner and was always present for my treatment. She was more than a doctor, she was someone who truly cared about me having a family. She is a true professional who I recommend to anyone needing help with building their family...Dr Mullin’s office was caring, compassionate and took as much/little time as needed...After one failed embryo transfer I begged Dr Mullin to transfer two embryos next, I was 30 with unexplained infertility. Dr Mullin explained that she wouldn’t put me in a high risk situation (twins) that I didn’t need to be in, and that I’d thank her one day. She was right, I now have three beautiful children, all single transfers.
They [Northwell Health] are an extremely busy practice, but this is something I look for when selecting doctors. This may turn off some, but I want to see the doctor that so many are trusting their fertility with. They always make time for all their patients, no matter how busy they are...Trust Dr Mullin and her office. Although Dr Mullin is very busy, her eyes are everywhere and her team is excellent...I now have three beautiful children
They are an extremely busy practice, but this is something I look for when selecting doctors. This may turn off some, but I want to see the doctor that so many are trusting their fertility with. They always make time for all their patients, no matter how busy they are.
My insurance covered 80%, I paid 20%. Dr Mullin’s team understood my insurance and all the details, I had no issues.

2021, Successful
Dr. Chang’s fantastic bedside manner-she made me feel comfortable discussing any concern I had...I reacted very well to the fertility hormones and Dr. Chang was very quick to respond to any needed changes based on my bloodwork...She was with us from day one of our infertility and continued to be responsive and incredibly helpful long after we had finished treatment...
It is a great clinic [Northwell Health] that offers thorough, individualized care. Pay careful attention to their protocols and directions as they led to great results for us! I felt comfortable walking in the door at Northwell as I knew I would be under incredible care-whichever doctor I was seeing that day...The nursing staff and Hannah were incredible-so compassionate and thorough in their care!...
I can’t say enough good things about Dr. Chang-she is incredible and made our dreams come true: a baby girl on the way! She was with us from day one of our infertility and continued to be responsive and incredibly helpful long after we had finished treatment!! I would recommend her to anyone in need of a trustworthy, kind, and thorough doctor.
Trust Dr. Chang-she definitely knows what she’s doing!
I can’t say enough good things about Dr. Chang’s fantastic bedside manner-she made me feel comfortable discussing any concern I had. She is truly the best!
Describe the protocols Sydney Chang used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Hannah)
It is a great clinic that offers thorough, individualized care. Pay careful attention to their protocols and directions as they led to great results for us! I felt comfortable walking in the door at Northwell as I knew I would be under incredible care-whichever doctor I was seeing that day!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sydney Chang at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
We had excellent insurance that worked well with the doctor’s office
Describe Sydney Chang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
She used science to determine that based on my age and health, one embryo was appropriate and I’m glad we did!
Sydney Chang

2017 - 2020, Unknown Success
Partnering with [Dr. Gabe San Roman] on our journey has made me feel more comfortable throughout the process...When I would ask about details I would always get informational responses but did find I would need to ask...always tweaking our protocol slightly with each step in hopes to give us our family. One sticky point for him is acupuncture - it is not something he believes in...so if you are looking for him to confirm its benefits you won't find it from him - he very much focuses on the pure science of infertility treatment.
the entire team [at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)] knows me which makes me feel like I am not a number...occasionally there are communication breakdowns between the Doctor/NPs and the nurses which can create frustration - but they are always solved...[nurse] is straight forward but with compassion and empathy at the same time - a tough balance to strike but she does it effortlessly.
How was your experience with Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Partnering with Dr. SR on our journey has made me feel more comfortable throughout the process. I am a very detail-oriented person and by default I think Dr. SR tries to keep the details out unless you seek them. For some the details can be stressful but for me, the more details the better I feel. When I would ask about details I would always get informational responses but did find I would need to ask. I think it is his way of "protecting" patients as they go through this but I value the detail and thoroughness. My journey has been long and we still do not have a baby yet but Dr. SR has made us feel comfortable about not giving up and always tweaking our protocol slightly with each step in hopes to give us our family. One sticky point for him is acupuncture - it is not something he believes in...so if you are looking for him to confirm its benefits you won't find it from him - he very much focuses on the pure science of infertility treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr. SR will make you feel wonderful and hopeful it's one of his best features and he knows his field extremely well (why I have continued to see him as my specialist) - but if you want clarity and want to understand why different courses of action may be taken or changed, don't hesitate to ask - he will provide any details you want - just ask.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr. San Roman and his NPs (Jenn and Dawn) all make you feel like you are a person, that you are heard, and if you are asking for details will provide any information you are seeking. Bedside manner of Dr. SR is amazing and it helps take the stress level of the journey down a lot.
Describe the protocols Gabe San Roman used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
IVF Retrieval 1: menopur and gonal-f for 8 nights; cetrotide for the last couple mornings of the stim cycle. (14 retrieved, 14 mature and 100% fertilized, 6 made it to day 5, 2 made it through PGS testing) Transfer 1: Estrace 19 days prior to transfer; Progesterone suppositories starting 5-days prior to transfer; Positive pregnancy with strong HCG levels resulted but ended in miscarriage at 7 weeks Transfer 2: Estrace 19 days prior to transfer; Progesterone suppositories starting 5-days prior to transfer; Nonviable pregnancy resulted with minimal HCG level IVF Retrieval 2: menopur and gonal-f for 8 nights; cetrotide for the last couple mornings of the stim cycle. (13 retrieved, 10 mature and 8 fertilized, 7 made it to day 5, 3 made it through PGS testing) Transfer 3: (2 embryos) Estrace 19 days prior to transfer; Progesterone suppositories starting 5-days prior to transfer; Medrol prior to transfer and prednizone after; Nonviable pregnancy resulted with minimal HCG level Transfer 4: went with natural cycle; Medrol prior to transfer and prednizone after; negative result
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Jenn Barocas)
Jenn B has been great throughout this process. She is straight forward but with compassion and empathy at the same time - a tough balance to strike but she does it effortlessly. I always get honest information, thorough information and know that she has my/my husband's best interests in mind. She was exceptionally helpful to my husband and I as we discussed possibly stopping our journey to start a family and I appreciate the additional time she took for us several times (she did not tell us what to do but helped us process through our thoughts). My husband and I are going to start retrieval round #3 in the coming weeks.
Most of the staff is great. I think by nature of the fertility process itself being stressful, sometimes certain people rub you the wrong way through no fault of their own. Strengths: the entire team knows me which makes me feel like I am not a number Weaknesses: occasionally there are communication breakdowns between the Doctor/NPs and the nurses which can create frustration - but they are always solved.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
If paying out of pocket and from comparing costs to friends seeing other doctors, Dr. SR's costs were slightly higher.
Describe Gabe San Roman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
As we did PGS testing on all of our day 5 embryos Dr. SR preferred to transfer only 1 embryo. After we had two transfers that did not amount to the birth of a child, he did let us transfer 2 PGS-tested embryos on our third transfer.
There was a time (about a year ago) where I sought a second opinion just for a sanity check and my requests to have my records copied/shared were not completed. It seems to be quite a production to get your own medical records which is frustrating.
Smithtown

Dr. San Roman understands that I am the type of patient that wants to fully understand the biology and the science of what’s going on. He takes the time to teach me, even draws diagrams while we chat to help me visualize. He is patient and actively listens when I speak...I delayed asking for a more aggressive course of action and regret that I didn’t speak up sooner because they responded so amazingly
[The staff at Northwell Health] are so accommodating, all of my appointments work with my schedule. They have even made special exceptions and taken me on a Saturday...Nancy who handles billing is so knowledgeable and helpful...When I had a negative experience during a visit to an affiliate location, Dr. San Roman and his team responded immediately to address my concerns and followed up with me after
Dr. San Roman understands that I am the type of patient that wants to fully understand the biology and the science of what’s going on. He takes the time to teach me, even draws diagrams while we chat to help me visualize. He is patient and actively listens when I speak. When I had a negative experience during a visit to an affiliate location, Dr. San Roman and his team responded immediately to address my concerns and followed up with me after. Even months later, during a routine visit, I was asked about that experience and if I have seen improvement, which I had.
Don’t be afraid to ask for what you want. I delayed asking for a more aggressive course of action and regret that I didn’t speak up sooner because they responded so amazingly.
Everyone from the nurses, doctors, NPs and secretaries know my name, ask about my dogs, are kind, understand what I am going through and are sympathetic and share success stories to keep my spirits listed. Most recently they’ve set up video calls to check in with patients during the COVID-19 crisis. They’ve been amazingly supportive, honest and realistic.
First Dr. San Roman prescribed Femara to boost egg production. I started with two pills a day for 5 days and over time he increased doses to 4 pills per day. 4 pills seems to have the best results, producing 4 follicles this past cycle. Out of the 11 cult leader we have gone through with Dr. San Roman I have used ovidrel 4xs and novarel 1x to trigger ovulation as ovulation prediction tests were not working. I have also undergone 3 IUIs with unfortunate negative pregnancy results.
The nurses ensure a clean, safe, happy environment. They communicate well, are kind and sympathetic. When I call with questions or to get a prescription refill, they are responsive and act quickly. Once when I was traveling for work and forgot my medication at home, I called and they prescribed my meds to a pharmacy where I was within an hour of my call.
They are so accommodating, all of my appointments work with my schedule. They have even made special exceptions and taken me on a Saturday when I had a crazy work schedule. Nancy who handles billing is so knowledgeable and helpful! This is the cleanest Drs office I’ve ever been to!
I pay a $50 copay each visit (2-3per month) My insurance only partially covered bloodwork and sonograms so I pay an additional $75 for each visit. I pay out of pocket for for IUI, $350 per cycle. Trigger shots are approx $150 per cycle and femara medication is less then $20 per cycle.
I would consider these negative experiences to be extremely minor. Once I arrived for an appointment that had been scheduled for a different day but I had called and rescheduled. When I arrived they did not see me on their calendar. They still took me in with minimal wait time. One other time my prescription was not called in, I called and they put it right through and I got my medication on the day I needed it.

2017 - 2020, Unsuccessful
... he [Dr. Scholl] is very traditional and is not willing to customize individual treatment plans for my body. I asked him about less aggressive ivf and he completely ruled it out and said he believes its a waste of time and that the traditional ivf treatment would be more beneficial. I just do not believe in the one size fits all treatment model. My treatment needs to be individualized to my needs. I have suffered a miscarriage at 20 weeks( pre term labor) and at 6( heterotopic miscarriage-blighted ovum and an ectopic pregnancy) leading to the loss of my left fallopian tube.
I wish they [Northwell Health] acted as though they knew why you were coming to receive services. We as patients are putting our trust or lives our life savings into the hands of these providers. The least you would expect to compassion. ... I felt more like a number at times when i I would have my visits. Majority were with the NP snd rarely saw provider. I felt that my treatment was not tailored to my lab results.it was more of a one size fits all model.
How was your experience with Gerald Scholl at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
With age comes knowledge which he has but he is very traditional and is not willing to customize individual treatment plans for my body. I asked him about less aggressive ivf and he completely ruled it out and said he believes its a waste of time and that the traditional ivf treatment would be more beneficial. I just do not believe in the one size fits all treatment model. My treatment needs to be individualized to my needs. I have suffered a miscarriage at 20 weeks( pre term labor) and at 6( heterotopic miscarriage-blighted ovum and an ectopic pregnancy) leading to the loss of my left fallopian tube.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gerald Scholl at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Be prepared with questions and provide input in your treatment plan
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gerald Scholl at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Describe the protocols Gerald Scholl used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
I did 3 rounds of clomid. 1st was with clomid 5 days and iui with insemination, 2nd and 3rd were clomid with intercourse with partner. 3rd resulted with twin pregnancies but miscarried at 6 weeks
Busy and never really had time to speak about treatment plan. Everything seemed rushed
Large pool of providers to select from however you feel more like a number than a person. I wish they acted as though they knew why you were coming to receive services. We as patients are putting our trust or lives our life savings into the hands of these providers. The least you would expect to compassion.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gerald Scholl at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
$40 copayment every vist. Sometimes 3 times a week appointments. IUI cost about 6k but insurance covered. My ivf i would have to pay 20% of cost
Describe Gerald Scholl's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
I would select single embryo transfer due my history of cervical of incompetence.
Had to keep calling about my lab results. Didn't catch my ectopic pregnancy earlier with played a role in my losing afallopian tube.
Gerald Scholl

2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Noyes is intelligent, has a lot of expertise and experience and is very kind. I have no doubt that she is a skilled doctor and truly cares about her patients. However, ultimately the care provided under her supervision was not something I would recommend to anyone. I have never felt so confused and poorly informed, and have never met with such barriers to information. Even simple things were not explained. It was needlessly stressful...
While the nurses and staff [at Northwell Health] were kind, I would show up and nothing was ever explained. I asked about tests and wasn't given a clear answer. Then doctors mentioned in passing about how I was a "challenging case" and told me that my AMH was incredibly low...The clinic needs to take a moment to explain test results to patients and to let them know about the process. Test results weren't uploaded to the website, appointments weren't confirmed, a nurse forgot to tell me a medication that I should take, and no expectations as to how the process actually would occur was communicated beyond sending some videos. It was a really bad experience.
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nicole Noyes at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Your care will primarily be provided by people other than Dr. Noyes. If you would like to speak to her directly, you will have to wait to a month. If a doctor says that you should speak to her, you'll have to explain that to her assistant because information is not communicated from doctors to staff (or vice versa), and so you'll be the party responsible for trying to explain something you may barely understand yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nicole Noyes at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
While the nurses and staff were kind, I would show up and nothing was ever explained. I asked about tests and wasn't given a clear answer. Then doctors mentioned in passing about how I was a "challenging case" and told me that my AMH was incredibly low. I don't expect a lot in terms of communication, but this was a dehumanizing and demoralizing experience. The clinic needs to take a moment to explain test results to patients and to let them know about the process. Test results weren't uploaded to the website, appointments weren't confirmed, a nurse forgot to tell me a medication that I should take, and no expectations as to how the process actually would occur was communicated beyond sending some videos. It was a really bad experience.
Describe the protocols Nicole Noyes used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Rationale or medication options were never discussed.
They just took my blood and advised me to watch a video on how to do injections.
This clinic felt chaotic, rushed and disorganized. The patient coordinator all but disappeared. Every time I was told that someone would contact me, it did not occur. There is a disconnect where it seems that staff and doctors don't communicate or are unsure as to how to initiate treatment, so it was a battle to even get to the first appointment. And even after it was scheduled, I was unsure what the appointment was for or what the protocol would be. I am still trying to sort out billing issues - the coordinator said that she contacted the labs, but they seemed to be surprised and said that they never heard from her. And after months I'm being billed as self-pay despite having insurance. This was a truly dark and depressing experience, and I have never walked away feeling so negatively about any medical provider.
New York City
Dr. San Roman makes you feel comfortable with him from the beginning but I believe he thought that I would be an easy case and a year later we don’t have any new information that could help in conceiving, although we’ve had several failures...wasn’t as aggressive as I thought we needed to be from the beginning...thought that I would be very easy so he started off slow.
The nurse practitioners [at Northwell Health-Smithtown] do get involved and take on your journey when you express that you are frustrated and feeling down. The office has a very pleasant atmosphere although they often run late with appointments...Most times the nurses were compassionate and offered help when needed. Unfortunately, they could only help with so much.
Be persistent and make sure that protocols are being looked At even when they seem to be working.
The nurses and nurse practitioners definitely build a relationship with you. Dr. San Roman is personable and makes you feel comfortable but in my opinion wasn’t as aggressive as I thought we needed to be from the beginning.
He thought that I would be very easy so he started off slow. My first cycle I was prescribed low dose letrozole and a trigger with iui which resulted in one large egg. The second iui they prescribed an increase in letrozole with the trigger and two eggs were produced. Round 3 was the same letrozole but natural ovulation with 2 eggs and the 4th on was the same letrozole, natural ovulation with 3 eggs. The 4th round resulted in a positive pregnancy test with a d & c at week 9 because the embryo did not grow. Genetic testing revealed there was an issue with chromosome 4
The nurse practitioners do get involved and take on your journey when you express that you are frustrated and feeling down. The office has a very pleasant atmosphere although they often run late with appointments
Much of it was covered under my insurance besides about 9,000 for the ivf cycle and the copays of 50 or 30 per visit
There was a time where a prescription should have been called in and it wasn’t. When I called the next day they said they were having an issue with their system. Luckily I had an extra day before I was to start the medication.
2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
I would tell any person coming into this clinic [that the fertility clinic and the laboratory that maintains the sperm are 2 separate entities. I would tell them that they would have to be on top of the laboratory to ensure that they have the doctor’s orders that the it is followed exactly. ... When my partner left his sperm sample, the Laboratory was to analyze and store his sample. Instead the lab analyzed and threw out his sample by mistake. We did not know this until the day before retrieval. Because of my partner work schedule (he works for MTA) he just could not get off to come with me the next morning to produce sperm while the doctor was retrieving my eggs. Which is why I would tell anyone coming in that they should stay on top of the lab.
Dr. Cohen strengths is the way he approaches his patient’s. He’s very caring and careful with his words in describing an outcome that may not occur. When I first sat down with Dr. Cohen he first explained to me why the human body preforms the way it does. And that no amount of medicine or modern technology can change that. With that said, he laid out for the reason why it would be extremely hard for a women my age to get pregnant naturally with my own eggs. He told me this information in a way as if he was letting me down easy and not to have high expectations. He was not rough by saying, “you too old to get pregnant”. He did recommend using donor eggs, but at the same time he did not force it or say to me that this was my ONLY option.
With the number of years he has in this profession, I would tell them to consider all of his advice and follow it. And understand, that’s he’s trying to help you get pregnant and not discourage you from starting a family.
He treated me with kid gloves. As an expert in this filed he told me delicately that because of my age the expectations will not be good. But at the same time he was very encouraging because of my AMH levels which is high for a women of my age.
Usually in a women my age, my AMH would be low and my FHS would be high. But because my levels were good, Dr. Cohen was more excited than I was to start treatment. This encouragement from him made me feel more enthusiastic about starting fertility treatment regardless of my age. On my first round of treatment, Dr. Cohen had me on 300 iu of Gonal F and 150 of Menopur per day. He did this for about 12 days (I can’t remember the exact number of days). Again his rational for this protocol was because my AMH levels where 1.1. He was able to retrieve 13 eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Vahida Gilic, RN)
Very informative and walked me through each progress step by step. Called me every night to see how I was doing on the medication. She was concerned about any side effects. She was also very encouraging because my of AMH levels.
I would tell any person coming into this clinic that the fertility clinic and the laboratory that maintains the sperm are 2 separate entities. I would tell them that they would have to be on top of the laboratory to ensure that they have the doctor’s orders that the it is followed exactly.
You could go in between the hours of 7 to 11 for monitoring, but I always made sure I have an appointment for 7:00 am. One time, I was not able to get an appointment until 7:30 am. I did this so that I could ensure I would get seen and leave the clinic by a certain time because I still had to go to work. If you did not have an appointment, you had to wait but was still seen.
Since my insurance only cover 80% of treatment my co-payment was $4,000. My insurance does not cover fertility medication, which $8,000.00
Because of poor egg quality, we were not able to transfer any embryos.
Manhasset
[Dr. Maxwell was] Very thorough in her explanations, and made sure we understood all risks, pros, and cons. Was very easy to get ahold of and would walk through options so that we could make the best informed decision for ourselves...took time to answer every question and never made us feel our questions were stupid...recommended trying ovulation induction first since it’s less invasive. She has explained every step along the way and told us what to expect and when which has been very helpful...
medical secretary [at Northwell Health] has been amazing in getting questions answered, appointments scheduled, and helping us get in touch with other staff as needed. The nursing staff has also been very helpful and always very pleasant and efficient without making you feel like you’re a number...what a better experience it has been in terms of treatment plans, speaking with staff and overall experience with the clinic staff....
Ask any questions you have even if you think they’re stupid. Dr. Maxwell took time to answer every question and never made us feel our questions were stupid.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
She spoke with me and my husband and made sure that we were comfortable with all the steps and treatments and would call to check in while going through various cycles.
We tried 3 rounds of ovulation induction which did not result in pregnancy. From there we are now doing IVF stimulation. Dr. Maxwell recommended trying ovulation induction first since it’s less invasive. She has explained every step along the way and told us what to expect and when which has been very helpful. We plan to do the egg retrieval sometime in the next few weeks and a transfer shortly after.
Dr. Maxwell’s medical secretary has been amazing in getting questions answered, appointments scheduled, and helping us get in touch with other staff as needed. The nursing staff has also been very helpful and always very pleasant and efficient without making you feel like you’re a number.
We saw a previous doctor at this clinic that is no longer there and the clinic seemed (along with the doctor) very disorganized and you very much felt like a number. Since transitioning to Dr. Maxwell, this has not been our experience and my husband and I have both commented on what a better experience it has been in terms of treatment plans, speaking with staff and overall experience with the clinic staff.
Most of our treatments were covered by insurance but the billing coordinator was very available to discuss costs, billing due dates and options. Dr. Maxwell’s medical secretary also made sure that we recurved all the financial information needed from the billing coordinator and helped us get in touch with her when needed.
We have discussed with Dr. Maxwell and we will try single transfer first and potential multiple (2) in later transfers if the first are unsuccessful. I am still on the “younger” side so Dr. Maxwell does not want to start with multiple embryo transfer, but indicated if I was over 37 we would start with multiple embryo transfer.
Susan McClelland Maxwell
New York City

I felt as if he [Dr. Matthew Cohen] cared for my husband and I needs . He was very helpful as a male doctor . He was understandable due to insurance purpose and he gave us alternative that helped us out. Dr. Cohen made me feel like a human because he didn’t judge me for my age , or my condition...is the First Male Doctor who made me feel comfortable as a female . He kind , thoughtful and a good communicator.
The nursing staff [at Northwell Health-FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish] was friendly , they greeted me in a polite way . They all need my name and all had smiles on there face as if they want to be there...they always called me for my appointments. Friendly, the hours of operation was reasonable...Matthew Cohen is the First Male Doctor who made me feel comfortable as a female . He kind , thoughtful and a good communicator.
Matthew Cohen is the First Male Doctor who made me feel comfortable as a female . He kind , thoughtful and a good communicator. He gave me hope that one day I will have a family of my own . He said it will happen and I believe him . He a good doctor . As I stated , after my first miscarriage he told me not to feel discourage that the treatment worked and it will work again.
Have faith with Dr. Matthew, Have Faith with yourself . Dr. Cohen will make you feel comfortable, keep in mind that he is not god , but he’s here to help.
Being one of Dr. Cohen patient was a different feeling, due to the fact that he’s a male and I’m a female he made me feel comfortable. I felt as if he cared for my husband and I needs . He was very helpful as a male doctor . He was understandable due to insurance purpose and he gave us alternative that helped us out. Dr. Cohen made me feel like a human because he didn’t judge me for my age , or my condition . I felt welcome due to the fact that everyone that came to clinic was going through the same thing I was going through . When I experience my first miscarriage he told me to have hope and since I got pregnant that time, it will happen again . I would recommend Dr. Cohen to any female who wants to feel like a human .
Dr. Cohen put me on Letrozole 2.5mg starting day 3-7 . I would than come in on day 10 or 12 to check my follicles , if I’m good to start procedures he will than have me schedule and day to come in . (I’ve done iui ). So my partner would come in at 7am give him sample and start the procedure at 9-10am . After that process there’s a two week wait . After the two weeks , I would than come in for a pregnancy test . If negative and I get a period I would do process all over . However if it is positive, I would have to come back in for blood sample to see if my numbers go up than my pregnancy is successful. If my numbers go down than I’m experiencing a miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Doreen)
The nursing staff was friendly , they greeted me in a polite way . They all need my name and all had smiles on there face as if they want to be there .
The fertility clinic that I’ve went to strength was that, they always called me for my appointments. Friendly, the hours of operation was reasonable . To my knowledge, I wouldn’t say that the clinic had a weakness .
Not sure

2020, Consult
2 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
He [Dr. Cohen] explained every thing in full. He was very informative and caring. He had a great personality and oversight. He provide great details over the procedure and after effects. We have not had the surgery yet because if COVID. But plan to go through with the surgery once elective surgeries are opened up again. ... He was very nice and had a good personality while explaining the issues.
The clinics [Northwell Health] strengths, weaknesses and anything else a new patient should know is many. They should do their homework and ask as many questions if the period as possible. It is helpful to search the internet and other forums to find other couples that had gone through similar experiences. ... There were many different types of coats associated with this.
He explained every thing in full. He was very informative and caring. He had a great personality and oversight. He provide great details over the procedure and after effects. We have not had the surgery yet because if COVID. But plan to go through with the surgery once elective surgeries are opened up again.
Ask questions.
He was very nice and had a good personality while explaining the issues.
They were very helpful.
The clinics strengths, weaknesses and anything else a new patient should know is many. They should do their homework and ask as many questions if the period as possible. It is helpful to search the internet and other forums to find other couples that had gone through similar experiences.
There were many different types of coats associated with this.
Manhasset
[Dr. Christine Mullin] is very knowledgeable, friendly and compassionate. She gave me hope that I could make my dream of becoming a mother true. She explained every detail of the procedures I would have to go through and I left her office believing it was possible...took the time to explained the reason of my infertility
Office staff [at Northwell Health are] very friendly and knowledgeable about insurance coverage and patient responsibility...Beautiful, clean office located in a medical building. Accessible by bus and train with plenty of parking spaces...consult visit $525 Water sonogram $560 Biopsy $ 665 Office visit $ 125
Dr. Mullin is very knowledgeable, friendly and compassionate. She gave me hope that I could make my dream of becoming a mother true. She explained every detail of the procedures I would have to go through and I left her office believing it was possible.
Do not loose hope.
Dr. Christine Mullin took the time to explained the reason of my infertility, what to expect and how could she will be able to help me.
Metformin to regulate hormones.
Beautiful, clean office located in a medical building. Accessible by bus and train with plenty of parking spaces. Office staff very friendly and knowledgeable about insurance coverage and patient responsibility.
consult visit $525 Water sonogram $560 Biopsy $ 665 Office visit $ 125

2010 - 2019, Consult
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
cannot recommend the Northwell clinic given the true lack of professionalism and administrative competency they have consistently shown over the last six weeks...I've since moved out of state and needed a phone appointment...The day my of appointment, I called the clinic an hour before to confirm who should call whom, etc., and found out that her admin had never actually scheduled my appointment at all. There was nothing on the books for me, and they couldn't make time for me. I was enormously disappointed.
During my egg freezing in 2010, Dr. Noyes was warm and compassionate. I had no idea what to expect - I was 24, facing a serious cancer diagnosis, had never considered my fertility, and was simultaneously preparing for (and then recovering from) a bilateral mastectomy and preparing for chemotherapy. Dr. Noyes was reassuring and had a very good understanding of how to fit my treatments together. I had a condom break while preparing for egg retrieval (i.e. a time when I would be hyper-fertile) and Dr. Noyes handled it thoughtfully and sensitively, creatively suggesting an IUD which would be able to block any implantation without compromising my one chance at egg retrieval, and provide me with birth control during the 5-10 years I would need to be on cancer treatment.
Unfortunately, I would have to advise a prospective patient not to work with Dr. Noyes due to the terrible experience I had with her new clinic at Northwell.
In 2010, due to a cancer diagnosis, I froze my eggs with Dr. Noyes while she was at NYU. Now, nearly 10 years later and having lost my ovaries, these are the only eggs I have and my only chance to have a child. Dr. Noyes has since moved to Northwell - Lenox Hill, so I reached out to schedule an appointment. The admin staff told me that Dr. Noyes "likes to take extra care with her cancer patients," which made me feel great, but the "care" truly stopped there. I've since moved out of state and needed a phone appointment. Her admin could only schedule one for three weeks out - no problem, I understand that she's busy. The day my of appointment, I called the clinic an hour before to confirm who should call whom, etc., and found out that her admin had never actually scheduled my appointment at all. There was nothing on the books for me, and they couldn't make time for me. I was enormously disappointed. The admin tried to pass the buck to someone else in the office, but did become apologetic when I reminded him that it was him I had spoken with to schedule initially. He said he would try to squeeze me in for an appointment the following Monday. I rearranged my schedule to make that time work. That Monday, the admin called to tell me they hadn't gotten my records from NYU yet, so I couldn't have the appointment. I was shocked -- they had a month to do this, and there should be very well-established channels given that Dr. Noyes just moved over in January of this year. The admin told me he could reschedule me for the following day at 3:30. I, again, rearranged my schedule to accommodate, but told him I had an appointment at 4:30 I could not move, and would need to be in transit by 4PM, but my husband and I would both rearrange our schedules so we could be in the car together to continue the appointment if it was longer than a half hour. The next day, I received a call from the admin at 3:30 telling me that Dr. Noyes was running late, but he would call me at 4 to tell me how things were going. At 4:07, he called and told me that she'd be on the line "soon." At 4:15, he came back on the line to tell me that the cost of the appointment would be $75. I was livid - reminding him that he had my credit card already, and that at this point I only had fifteen minutes to speak with Dr. Noyes. He put me back on hold, and at 4:24, I hung up the phone, since a five-minute consult would have been useless. No one from Northwell or Dr. Noyes' office has contacted me since to apologize or offer an appointment, and it has now been another week. I had a great experience with Dr. Noyes in 2010 at NYU, and wish her well on her new endeavors, but cannot recommend the Northwell clinic given the true lack of professionalism and administrative competency they have consistently shown over the last six weeks.
In 2010, due to a cancer diagnosis, I froze my eggs with Dr. Noyes while she was at NYU. Now, nearly 10 years later and having lost my ovaries, these are the only eggs I have and my only chance to have a child. Dr. Noyes has since moved to Northwell - Lenox Hill, so I reached out to schedule an appointment. The admin staff told me that Dr. Noyes "likes to take extra care with her cancer patients," which made me feel great, but the "care" truly stopped there. I've since moved out of state and needed a phone appointment. Her admin could only schedule one for three weeks out - no problem, I understand that she's busy. The day my of appointment, I called the clinic an hour before to confirm who should call whom, etc., and found out that her admin had never actually scheduled my appointment at all. There was nothing on the books for me, and they couldn't make time for me. I was enormously disappointed. The admin tried to pass the buck to someone else in the office, but did become apologetic when I reminded him that it was him I had spoken with to schedule initially. He said he would try to squeeze me in for an appointment the following Monday. I rearranged my schedule to make that time work. That Monday, the admin called to tell me they hadn't gotten my records from NYU yet, so I couldn't have the appointment. I was shocked -- they had a month to do this, and there should be very well-established channels given that Dr. Noyes just moved over in January of this year. The admin told me he could reschedule me for the following day at 3:30. I, again, rearranged my schedule to accommodate, but told him I had an appointment at 4:30 I could not move, and would need to be in transit by 4PM, but my husband and I would both rearrange our schedules so we could be in the car together to continue the appointment if it was longer than a half hour. The next day, I received a call from the admin at 3:30 telling me that Dr. Noyes was running late, but he would call me at 4 to tell me how things were going. At 4:07, he called and told me that she'd be on the line "soon." At 4:15, he came back on the line to tell me that the cost of the appointment would be $75. I was livid - reminding him that he had my credit card already, and that at this point I only had fifteen minutes to speak with Dr. Noyes. He put me back on hold, and at 4:24, I hung up the phone, since a five minute consult would have been useless. No one from Northwell or Dr. Noyes' office has contacted me since to apologize or offer an appointment, and it has now been another week. I had a great experience with Dr. Noyes in 2010 at NYU, and wish her well on her new endeavors, but cannot recommend the Northwell clinic given the true lack of professionalism and administrative competency they have consistently shown over the last six weeks.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nicole Noyes at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
At one point, I was told my consultation would be $125 (with my insurance), then was later told it would be $75, but that due to clinical errors, the coordinator would "cover it" (whatever that means). However, I was never able to actually be seen by Dr. Noyes despite spending hours of time over 6 weeks on hold with her admin staff. I'm still holding my breath to see if they'll send me a bill anyway.
Lenox Hill

2017 - 2019, Successful
She [Dr. Mullin] entertained all of my questions, never rushed me (like actually, spend so much time with me on multiple occasions, I was shocked), personally did my ultrasounds most of the time and always came in to do my retrievals and transfers (even when it wasn't her day on call), and personally called me back when I called in with a question, and was really there for me every step of the way. Because of her, I felt well taken care of during such a sad, unknown time.
Some [nurses at Northwell Health] know more than others, and you learn who to turn to throughout your time there...Also, as an aside, the phlebotomist, Jessica, is the freaking best...The Northwell Mineola office is peaceful. The Manhasset office can be a zoo. I thankfully only had to go there on weekends for monitoring and for procedures (however, specifically for procedures, the nurses at Manhasset are incredible).
I was a rare case. Got pregnant with my first-ever FET but then miscarried, despite the embryo being PGS normal. Dr. Mullin fought with me to try and figure out the best course of action after that and ultimately, after many biopsies and tests, she found what potentially was the issue. I don't know if many other doctors would have gone to the lengths she did.
Be your own advocate. Doctors have A LOT of patients - not their fault, just the nature of medicine these days. But it's up to you to bring your thoughts and opinions to the table. Dr. Mullin never shunned anything I had to say and worked with me every step of the way.
Dr. Mullin really took the time to get to know my husband and I. She entertained all of my questions, never rushed me (like actually, spend so much time with me on multiple occasions, I was shocked), personally did my ultrasounds most of the time and always came in to do my retrievals and transfers (even when it wasn't her day on call), and personally called me back when I called in with a question, and was really there for me every step of the way. Because of her, I felt well taken care of during such a sad, unknown time.
Diagnosed "lean PCOS." Tried 4 IUIs (with Clomid), all BFN. Moved on to IVF. First retrieval was pretty (BCP + low dose meds given PCOS). Yielded a large # of eggs, but there were signs of poor egg quality. Transferred 1 of my 2 PGS normal embryos, BFP, miscarried at 6 weeks. Waited a few months to do another retrieval, during which she put me on Metformin and I started taking Acai pills. Prior to starting the injections, she also changed the protocol slightly and added estrogen priming. 2nd retrieval MUCH better and ended up with 5 healthy embryos. After a failed second FET, we decided to do the ReceptivaDX biopsy, as she suspected silent endometriosis. Biopsy confirmed extremely high levels of inflammation. Protocol was Depot Lupron for 2 months. Went straight into my third FET, which resulted in my current pregnancy.
Some know more than others, and you learn who to turn to throughout your time there. At the end of the day, though, Dr. Mullin was always reachable, and every time I called in with a question, the nurse(s) would either put me on hold to ask Dr. Mullin directly, or Dr. Mullin called me back herself later that day. Also, as an aside, the phlebotomist, Jessica, is the freaking best.
Mineola

He [Dr. Avner Hershlag] showed no confidence in us conceiving with our own eggs. We went forward with ivf and never during stimulation he called or adjusted the protocol or explained alternatives. I felt his agenda was to push us to donor eggs. He seems to be a nice person but I am not sure he cares about anything but numbers. I know women who had success with him but don’t know details about their cases.
[Northwell Health is a] Factory! Run as soon as you can. Look for a compassionate climic where they can personalize your treatment. Although I went early morning, there was always a lot of waiting time. You get called loud. No privacy. The waiting room doesn’t have a warm feeling; fear rules - you can see it on everybody’s face.
How was your experience with Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He showed no confidence in us conceiving with our own eggs. We went forward with ivf and never during stimulation he called or adjusted the protocol or explained alternatives. I felt his agenda was to push us to donor eggs. He seems to be a nice person but I am not sure he cares about anything but numbers. I know women who had success with him but don’t know details about their cases. On the day of retrieval we found out that somebody else would to the retrieval, which was never mentioned before as a possibility. We would have appreciated more explanations and given alternatives about protocols. He also never mentioned some women are poor responders and that it is possible for a cycle to be canceled, so when I heard something about canceling during monitoring (nurses talking among themselves but none bothering to explain to me) we lived in fear until the retrieval actually happened. Another thing I didn’t appreciate was Dr H never mentioning acupuncture although we asked him about things that could potentially help. Subsequently I found out he does send other patients to acupuncture. Dr H seems very rigid with ivf approach, ignoring the fact that one protocol doesn’t fit all. I never felt my treatment plan was personalized to my own needs. If you want to see him, you need to schedule an appointment, otherwise only nurses call you back. If you need to reach him during treatment per se, forget about it - there is no direct number or email you can reach him to. After the first ivf cycle we wanted to try another one so called for an appointment. At that time we were told that Dr H is not with Northwell anymore. I am sure he knew he was leaving, but never told us. Months later on we received a letter in the email. Overall very disappointed with his care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Don’t waste time; look elsewhere
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
It seems the clinic overall cares only about numbers. All they do is referring to statistics when in fact each of us is a unique case. Donor egg option was mentioned from the very first consultation after knowing the AMH was very low. It was us pushing to try with our own eggs.
Describe the protocols Avner Hershlag used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Low AMH - Microdose lupron, gonal, menopure. Initially they told me I had 7 follicles that became 4 on the retrieval day and one egg was retrieved, which fertilized and was transferred fresh on day 3.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Don’t remember the name but it’s irrelevant because she went on vacation, never mentioned that to us and then we struggled leaving voicemails hoping to be called back)
The originally assigned nurse went on vacation. We struggled to find others but regardless none of them was easy to get in touch with even with direct contact number. You call, leave a voicemail and maybe get called the following day. Northwell Manhasset is a factory, they are so busy that you never get personalized interaction or feel anything but a number. None of the nurses bothered to explained to me canceling the ivf cycle would be a possibility, everything was so confusing….
Factory! Run as soon as you can. Look for a compassionate climic where they can personalize your treatment. Although I went early morning, there was always a lot of waiting time. You get called loud. No privacy. The waiting room doesn’t have a warm feeling; fear rules - you can see it on everybody’s face. Not encouraging…. You have to pay everything upfront. My second cycle was canceled but was able to received a refund in several weeks. There was nobody available to ask questions after hours. I had communication issues even during working hours - very difficult to get hold of somebody.
Lot of waiting time, they call late with results, not consistently the same time and you are always stressed not knowing when they call back
Describe the costs associated with your care under Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Insurance covered most of it. I had to pay approx 3500 for a cycle excluding meds, which were expensive
Describe Avner Hershlag's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
We only had one embryo
When I decided to switch clinics I asked for my medical record. I eventually got something - not the full chart with the protocol though - but it took a lot of interventions and calls. I still don’t have all my info….
Avner Hershlag
Manhasset
I haven't had much time spent with Dr. Mullin herself. Her visits are short and not a lot of information is provided. Her bedside manner makes me feel as though i'm a number...I never feel as though i'm getting the full story from her, and that's when I actually see her. Only when I had a bad experience, did she show compassion and see me a few visits in a row. I'm confident she's good at what she does and will get me pregnant - i'm just not 100% on board with how she does it.
The clinic [Northwell Health- Mineola] is amazing, the staff is warm, friendly, and organized. It took 1 visit for Robin at the front desk to remember my name. I'm greeted every time I walk in and questions are answered as needed. Whenever I call with questions I get an answer right away or am called back shortly after. There are NEVER issues with appointments, they always make room for me. Jessica the phlebotomist is amazing, she never leaves me with bruises and takes my blood in no time. Regina, the sonogram tech is so warm - I've cried to her behind the closed door many times, and she always makes me feel so comfortable. This team is a gem!
Ask many questions.
The nursing staff is excellent, specifically the NP Mary Jane and RN Joan. They take their time when speaking with you, always ask questions, and make you feel as though you matter. They have been my contacts from day one, i feel more comfortable with them then I do with the Dr.
The clinic is amazing, the staff is warm, friendly, and organized. It took 1 visit for Robin at the front desk to remember my name. I'm greeted every time I walk in and questions are answered as needed. Whenever I call with questions I get an answer right away or am called back shortly after. There are NEVER issues with appointments, they always make room for me. Jessica the phlebotomist is amazing, she never leaves me with bruises and takes my blood in no time. Regina, the sonogram tech is so warm - I've cried to her behind the closed door many times, and she always makes me feel so comfortable. This team is a gem!
$50 copay, $3500 for IVF cycle
I wasn't given the correct information on side effects and ended up in the hospital
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
IUI with donor sperm as a single mom. She [Dr. Noyes] perscriped chlomid for the second cycle to increase chance, which made sense. Based on factors like my age, insurance coverage and financial concerns, Dr. Noyes helped me determine a treatment course including 4-6 rounds of IUI with and then will consider IVF...is straight and to the point. She listens well and adapted care to my particular needs. The nurses at her clinic are great, they are caring, warm, and treat me like person. They are very good at staying in touch and remembering details about me - both those relevant to treatment and personal details. Doctor Nps
Great nursing staff [at Northwell Health]. Good compotent doctors. However you dont always see your doctor at every monitoring/scan, some times another doctor is on duty. The billing/insurance department is a little less helpful. They are satisfactory and do their job, but are not as good communicators (curt answers without warmth or detailed explanations - you have to be assertive and ask a lot of questions)...They are wonderful. They are warm, fun, professional, very organized, they stay in good touch and give clear instructions, with compassion. Highly competent team.
Dr. Noyes is no nonesense, which I appreciate. She is clear and frank. She listened well to my goals, concerns and questions and adapted treatment accordingly. She was helpful in thinking through options that were best for my lifestyle, budget, insurance, age etc. She inspired confidence.
Advice for seeing any doctor - take time before going in to your appointments to organize your thoughts and list out your questions, then make sure to go through them systematically with the doctor.
Dr. Noyes is straight and to the point. She listens well and adapted care to my particular needs. The nurses at her clinic are great, they are caring, warm, and treat me like person. They are very good at staying in touch and remembering details about me - both those relevant to treatment and personal details.
IUI with donor sperm as a single mom. She perscriped chlomid for the second cycle to increase chance, which made sense. Based on factors like my age, insurance coverage and financial concerns, Dr. Noyes helped me determine a treatment course including 4-6 rounds of IUI with and then will consider IVF.
Great nursing staff. Good compotent doctors. However you dont always see your doctor at every monitoring/scan, some times another doctor is on duty. The billing/insurance department is a little less helpful. They are satisfactory and do their job, but are not as good communicators (curt answers without warmth or detailed explanations - you have to be assertive and ask a lot of questions).
Describe Nicole Noyes's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Bay Shore
2017 - 2019, Successful
[Dr. Mary Rausch] was with me from day1 of my diagnosis through graduating to my ob for now baby #2. She has been a great doctor every step of the way...has now gotten me pregnant twice. While she is busy (as all doctors are) I felt that she was there for me (or one of her colleagues) every step of the way through ivf...I was monitored daily during egg retrieval because I had a lot of eggs. I ended up hyper stimulating, which delayed embryo transfer 1 month. I trusted dr rauschs decision to delay transfer. She also recommended pgs, which I am extremely glad I did, as it made me feel comfortable declining genetic testing while I was pregnant (which in some cases result in miscarriage). Finally she only recommended transferring one embryo, which I continue to be very happy with. Nurse
The Clinic [Northwell Health] was great. only weaknesses are some administrative headaches: calling could be challenging to get a hold of the nursing team (auto prompts that send you to nobody), and I had some issues with medications getting sent to the wrong pharmacies, resulting in the need to rush order/pay out of pocket for some expensive meds. Otherwise beyond some administrative headaches, the clinic was amazing, the staff was warm and friendly, which helped immensely getting through a very difficult time...nursing staff was excellent...I was monitored daily during egg retrieval because I had a lot of eggs. I ended up hyper stimulating, which delayed embryo transfer 1 month. I trusted dr rauschs decision to delay transfer. She also recommended pgs, which I am extremely glad I did, as it made me feel comfortable declining genetic testing while I was pregnant (which in some cases result in miscarriage). Finally she only recommended transferring one embryo, which I continue to be very happy with.
How was your experience with Mary Rausch at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr rausch was an excellent doctor that has now gotten me pregnant twice. While she is busy (as all doctors are) I felt that she was there for me (or one of her colleagues) every step of the way through ivf.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Rausch at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Have patience going through the ivf process. Know that it will be financially and physically stressful, but the results are worth it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Rausch at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Dr rausch was with me from day1 of my diagnosis through graduating to my ob for now baby #2. She has been a great doctor every step of the way.
Describe the protocols Mary Rausch used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Kathy g)
Northwell fertility nursing staff was excellent
The Clinic was great. only weaknesses are some administrative headaches: calling could be challenging to get a hold of the nursing team (auto prompts that send you to nobody), and I had some issues with medications getting sent to the wrong pharmacies, resulting in the need to rush order/pay out of pocket for some expensive meds. Otherwise beyond some administrative headaches, the clinic was amazing, the staff was warm and friendly, which helped immensely getting through a very difficult time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Rausch at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
I hit my insurance out of pocket max so I am unsure what the true cost was
Describe Mary Rausch's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Dr rausch recommended single embryo transfer which I am very happy with.
Mary Rausch
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
He [Dr. Hershlag] was very uplifting when I would see him. He spoke in ways that were easy for my husband and I to understand. He was also very determined that I would end up with a pregnancy via donor egg. He assured me not to worry and that he would make the process easy and not stressful. I have had previous experiences with another doctor that wound up not being successful with two transfers. My husband and I were devastated. Dr.Hershlag made us feel better about going forth using him in hopes to have a successful pregnancy. Along the way, I had other issues that came up during the process and without hesitation he told me to come into the office with no appointment. He took care of me immediately. My husband and I can’t wait to go back to him to finish the process of becoming parents using donor egg. We did have to put the process on hold due to the costly expense of using donor eggs.
I highly recommend this clinic. The only thing that did seem to bother me at times was the length of time I had to wait. He was always booked with patients (even though that is a great sign) because he is very well known. The place was always very clean and everyone was very helpful. ... [Nursing Staff] Everyone was excellent and was always available when I needed them.
He was very uplifting when I would see him. He spoke in ways that were easy for my husband and I to understand. He was also very determined that I would end up with a pregnancy via donor egg. He assured me not to worry and that he would make the process easy and not stressful. I have had previous experiences with another doctor that wound up not being successful with two transfers. My husband and I were devastated. Dr.Hershlag made us feel better about going forth using him in hopes to have a successful pregnancy. Along the way, I had other issues that came up during the process and without hesitation he told me to come into the office with no appointment. He took care of me immediately. My husband and I can’t wait to go back to him to finish the process of becoming parents using donor egg. We did have to put the process on hold due to the costly expense of using donor eggs.
He is a very compassionate doctor who will make you feel comfortable and assure you that you will end up with a family of your own.
He made me feel very comfortable and he was very friendly and spoke using words I understood.
He told me to keep track of my sleeping patterns because I wake up in the middle of the night with hot flashes due to my very high hcg levels. This would help to control the amount of estrogen I needed to be on to control them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Marie Elise Marella)
Everyone was excellent and was always available when I needed them.
My co payments from my insurance were 50 dollars a visit. Donor egg costs range from anywhere between 12,000 to 40,000 depending on if we use frozen or fresh eggs.
He told us that he would only transfer one embryo at a time. Said doing multiple transfers can very well wind up with multiples and he does not recommend that because there is a higher risk of complications.
Avner Hershlag