6.8

285 Middle Country Road
Smithtown, NY 11787
(631) 650 2229

2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Noyes is intelligent, has a lot of expertise and experience and is very kind. I have no doubt that she is a skilled doctor and truly cares about her patients. However, ultimately the care provided under her supervision was not something I would recommend to anyone. I have never felt so confused and poorly informed, and have never met with such barriers to information. Even simple things were not explained. It was needlessly stressful...
While the nurses and staff [at Northwell Health] were kind, I would show up and nothing was ever explained. I asked about tests and wasn't given a clear answer. Then doctors mentioned in passing about how I was a "challenging case" and told me that my AMH was incredibly low...The clinic needs to take a moment to explain test results to patients and to let them know about the process. Test results weren't uploaded to the website, appointments weren't confirmed, a nurse forgot to tell me a medication that I should take, and no expectations as to how the process actually would occur was communicated beyond sending some videos. It was a really bad experience.
How was your experience with Nicole Noyes at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nicole Noyes at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Your care will primarily be provided by people other than Dr. Noyes. If you would like to speak to her directly, you will have to wait to a month. If a doctor says that you should speak to her, you'll have to explain that to her assistant because information is not communicated from doctors to staff (or vice versa), and so you'll be the party responsible for trying to explain something you may barely understand yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nicole Noyes at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
While the nurses and staff were kind, I would show up and nothing was ever explained. I asked about tests and wasn't given a clear answer. Then doctors mentioned in passing about how I was a "challenging case" and told me that my AMH was incredibly low. I don't expect a lot in terms of communication, but this was a dehumanizing and demoralizing experience. The clinic needs to take a moment to explain test results to patients and to let them know about the process. Test results weren't uploaded to the website, appointments weren't confirmed, a nurse forgot to tell me a medication that I should take, and no expectations as to how the process actually would occur was communicated beyond sending some videos. It was a really bad experience.
Describe the protocols Nicole Noyes used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Rationale or medication options were never discussed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
They just took my blood and advised me to watch a video on how to do injections.
Describe your experience with Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
This clinic felt chaotic, rushed and disorganized. The patient coordinator all but disappeared. Every time I was told that someone would contact me, it did not occur. There is a disconnect where it seems that staff and doctors don't communicate or are unsure as to how to initiate treatment, so it was a battle to even get to the first appointment. And even after it was scheduled, I was unsure what the appointment was for or what the protocol would be. I am still trying to sort out billing issues - the coordinator said that she contacted the labs, but they seemed to be surprised and said that they never heard from her. And after months I'm being billed as self-pay despite having insurance. This was a truly dark and depressing experience, and I have never walked away feeling so negatively about any medical provider.
What specific things went wrong at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Nicole Noyes
New York City
[Dr. Maxwell was] Very thorough in her explanations, and made sure we understood all risks, pros, and cons. Was very easy to get ahold of and would walk through options so that we could make the best informed decision for ourselves...took time to answer every question and never made us feel our questions were stupid...recommended trying ovulation induction first since it’s less invasive. She has explained every step along the way and told us what to expect and when which has been very helpful...
medical secretary [at Northwell Health] has been amazing in getting questions answered, appointments scheduled, and helping us get in touch with other staff as needed. The nursing staff has also been very helpful and always very pleasant and efficient without making you feel like you’re a number...what a better experience it has been in terms of treatment plans, speaking with staff and overall experience with the clinic staff....
How was your experience with Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Ask any questions you have even if you think they’re stupid. Dr. Maxwell took time to answer every question and never made us feel our questions were stupid.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
She spoke with me and my husband and made sure that we were comfortable with all the steps and treatments and would call to check in while going through various cycles.
Describe the protocols Susan McClelland Maxwell used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
We tried 3 rounds of ovulation induction which did not result in pregnancy. From there we are now doing IVF stimulation. Dr. Maxwell recommended trying ovulation induction first since it’s less invasive. She has explained every step along the way and told us what to expect and when which has been very helpful. We plan to do the egg retrieval sometime in the next few weeks and a transfer shortly after.
Dr. Maxwell’s medical secretary has been amazing in getting questions answered, appointments scheduled, and helping us get in touch with other staff as needed. The nursing staff has also been very helpful and always very pleasant and efficient without making you feel like you’re a number.
We saw a previous doctor at this clinic that is no longer there and the clinic seemed (along with the doctor) very disorganized and you very much felt like a number. Since transitioning to Dr. Maxwell, this has not been our experience and my husband and I have both commented on what a better experience it has been in terms of treatment plans, speaking with staff and overall experience with the clinic staff.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Susan McClelland Maxwell at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Most of our treatments were covered by insurance but the billing coordinator was very available to discuss costs, billing due dates and options. Dr. Maxwell’s medical secretary also made sure that we recurved all the financial information needed from the billing coordinator and helped us get in touch with her when needed.
Describe Susan McClelland Maxwell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
We have discussed with Dr. Maxwell and we will try single transfer first and potential multiple (2) in later transfers if the first are unsuccessful. I am still on the “younger” side so Dr. Maxwell does not want to start with multiple embryo transfer, but indicated if I was over 37 we would start with multiple embryo transfer.
Susan McClelland Maxwell

2019, 5 Eggs Frozen
He [Dr. Tomer Singer] was friendly, comforting and compassionate in his interactions. I felt that he did not fully explain the treatment, and what to expect. I felt that he was negative and I don’t feel that he gave me chance to get the best possible outcome that I could have had ... Push your agenda, do your research, ask questions and look for answers. ... He was friendly and compassionate in his attitude.
The clinic [Northwell Health] is well organized overall. The staff is friendly and professional. The flow of appointments and timeliness is mostly good. I have had some recurrent problems with billing, which have certainly added stress to an already stressful time. ... The monitoring was efficient and smooth. The technician was very gently and kind, which goes a long way.
How was your experience with Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He was friendly, comforting and compassionate in his interactions. I felt that he did not fully explain the treatment, and what to expect. I felt that he was negative and I don’t feel that he gave me chance to get the best possible outcome that I could have had.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Push your agenda, do your research, ask questions and look for answers.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He was friendly and compassionate in his attitude.
The nurses were compassionate, comforting and encouraging.
The clinic is well organized overall. The staff is friendly and professional. The flow of appointments and timeliness is mostly good. I have had some recurrent problems with billing, which have certainly added stress to an already stressful time.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tomer Singer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Copays
Tomer Singer
New York City

Although I didn’t not achieve want I wanted or dreamed of, Dr Gabe’s bedside matter and care for his patients was unbelieveable. I would recommend him to anyone. I unfortunately can’t say the same about his NP’s... The only thing I would change, when you’re dealing with “unexplained infertilty” If he showed more interest in digging a little deeper to possibly find an underlying cause somewhere. Instead of repeating the same cycle of meds 3-5 times in a row
The scheduling is probably one of the clinics strengths, and how they [Northwell Health] set the flow of patients. Billing or whoever handles the insurance I can’t say the same. First I was told from the beginning my insurance covered IVf, only to find out after we were interested in proceeding ivf that it wasn’t covered. That’s a headgame In itself as it is. Other then that I have nothing bad to say about it.... At first I loved his main NP dawn. But after repeating the same test after the 3rd time
How was your experience with Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Again his bedside matter was amazing, he remembers you by name and interests not just by face. Always welcoming. I wish I only saw him and no one else. The only thing I would change, when you’re dealing with “unexplained infertilty” If he showed more interest in digging a little deeper to possibly find an underlying cause somewhere. Instead of repeating the same cycle of meds 3-5 times in a row and getting the same response. Nothing more nothing less. I was up for change to try anything. But when you don’t see only him and bounce around thru the clinic I feel like it’s hard to meet goals.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Try to communicate exactly what your goals and expectations are.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Although I didn’t not achieve want I wanted or dreamed of, Dr Gabe’s bedside matter and care for his patients was unbelieveable. I would recommend him to anyone. I unfortunately can’t say the same about his NP’s.. but he is nothing short of wonderful.
Describe the protocols Gabe San Roman used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Treatment protocol, 3 day of cycle , sonogram. Started a round of drugs, came back for monitoring twice. Triggered and went in for IUIs. Got 0 results and repeated the same medication atleast more then three times in a row, upped the dosage once . I feel like personally after the third time and getting the same failed result something somewhere should have been changed.
At first I loved his main NP dawn. But after repeating the same test after the 3rd time she became very cold and not so friendly. I almost felt like she hadn’t seen any success or moving forward with me, and I was almost like a waste of her time.
The scheduling is probably one of the clinics strengths, and how they set the flow of patients. Billing or whoever handles the insurance I can’t say the same. First I was told from the beginning my insurance covered IVf, only to find out after we were interested in proceeding ivf that it wasn’t covered. That’s a headgame In itself as it is. Other then that I have nothing bad to say about it.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Everything was covered I paid for medication and copays. Ivf I was told was covered but turned out it was not
Describe Gabe San Roman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
2015 - 2018, Successful
We [with Dr. Gabe San Roman] started with fertility pills, 5 rounds of clomid. I produced many mature folicles, but none led to pregnancy with intercourse. The last round was IUI, to try and increase the chances of a positive pregnancy. It did not work. Then I moved to injectibles. They provided the first round for free. I produced 4 mature folicles, but no pregnancy resulted from intercourse. Dr. Gave adjusted the medication to focus on egg quality. 13 eggs were retrieved the next round, but again no fertilization happened. Again the medication was adjusted and I was out on pure LH to boost egg health. He also recommened herbal supplements. This time 6 eggs were retrieved and 5 fertilized. The first transfer at day 5 did not take.
[Northwell Health-Smithtown's] Strengths- Clean, great staff, free coffee and snacks, early morning and weekend hours, affordable with insurance, blood work drawn on site. Weakness- no afternoon or evening hours, sometimes crowded and long waits.... They provided the first round of injections for free, and a part of my treatment it was covered under my insurance. When insurance did not cover, office visit were $250 and ultrasounds were additional
Dr. Gabe is sincere and authentic. He is personable and open as a doctor. He has a good sense of humor and also knows when to be serious and get down to business. He adjusts his approach based on the patient’s needs. I always felt heard and respected. He walked through options and concerns with me and we decided on courses of action together.
Be honest and assertive with what you want. It’s your health and family on the line, not the doctor’s.
Dr. Gave knew our names, likes and interests, and made time to meet with me and my partner. He always made time to small talk at each appointment and made information easy to understand. He also personally made calls about results with very sensitive information.
We started with fertility pills, 5 rounds of clomid. I produced many mature folicles, but none led to pregnancy with intercourse. The last round was IUI, to try and increase the chances of a positive pregnancy. It did not work. Then I moved to injectibles. They provided the first round for free. I produced 4 mature folicles, but no pregnancy resulted from intercourse. Dr. Gave adjusted the medication to focus on egg quality. 13 eggs were retrieved the next round, but again no fertilization happened. Again the medication was adjusted and I was out on pure LH to boost egg health. He also recommened herbal supplements. This time 6 eggs were retrieved and 5 fertilized. The first transfer at day 5 did not take. I suggest transferring 2. Dr Gabe talked to us about risks such as twins and even higher order multiples. He thought transferring 2 was a good move since we had been trying for years, and we agreed with this plan and transferred 2 eggs, which resulted in our beautiful baby girls.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Emily)
Everyone knew my health and history. They were compassionate and seemed genuinely interest in my pregnancy journey.
They provided the first round of injections for free, and a part of my treatment it was covered under my insurance. When insurance did not cover, office visit were $250 and ultrasounds were additional.
Ok glad we tried one the first time and that dr. Gabe spoke to us about the risks of transferring multiple embryos and life with multiples.
2015 - 2018, Successful
dr san roman is very warm and has a great bedside manner. He definitely has a bit of an ego and likes to recite his accolades almost every time my husband comes with me to our visits. he is incredibly sweet and seems to be very knowledgeable, however his office is a bit disorganized...if things aren't going smoothly in your cycle, it is difficult to get in touch with him in the early stages...there is still a lack of continuity in the care that is received and the attention that is paid to the cycles
the nurse practitioners are empathetic but they are highly unorganized and tend to run the office [North Shore] when they shouldn't ...i've had experiences where you ask them questions that they can't answer, and sometimes make stuff up...the clinic is very friendly and warm. The place is very clean and flows nicely, rarely have to wait a long time...they never seem to know what meds you are on when they meet with you...they seem really disorganized
in my experience, dr san roman is very warm and has a great bedside manner. He definitely has a bit of an ego and likes to recite his accolades almost every time my husband comes with me to our visits. he is incredibly sweet and seems to be very knowledgeable, however his office is a bit disorganized
be wary of the nurse practitioner's running the show...if things aren't going smoothly in your cycle, it is difficult to get in touch with him in the early stages...after going through a total of 2 ivf cycles and 4 failed transfers with pgs tested embryos, there is still a lack of continuity in the care that is received and the attention that is paid to the cycles
I was definitely treated like a human...everyone in the office is very friendly and ends up getting to know you, especially after 2 cycles
my first stim cycle, I was placed on 1 vial of menopur and 150 of follistum, but ended up doubling that dose 3 days in...stimmed for 14 days and got 8 eggs, 7 mature. My second stim cycle, I was placed on 2 menopur and 450 follistum and stimmed for 7 days and ended up with 7 eggs. I was told when I went for a second opinion that my second cycle was an incredibly high dose especially for someone with a high ovarian reserve. We also ran into a few bumps in the road with our transfers. Our second frozen transfer was rushed, ended up with a beta of 18, but my lining wasn't responding as well as it had in the past...that ended up being a chemical. The second ivf cycle with a fresh transfer, I was told to be on progesterone 2 times a day before the transfer by the nurse, then the dr said once a day...but discontinued everything due to high progesterone levels, in which my level went from over 100 to 50 then to 2...which was never going to sustain anything....
the nurse practitioners are empathetic but they are highly unorganized and tend to run the office when they shouldn't ...i've had experiences where you ask them questions that they can't answer, and sometimes make stuff up. I have also had instances where they aren't looking at your numbers as trends but instead just one value and making decisions that are incorrect based on that...during one of my transfers, I was told to stop taking progesterone...my levels went from over 100 to 50 to 2 in the course of 4 days...no one thought to look at the trend, instead she just saw the 50 and still advised me to stay off the med. They never review your chart before they speak to you...they never seem to know what meds you are on when they meet with you...they seem really disorganized
the clinic is very friendly and warm. The place is very clean and flows nicely, rarely have to wait a long time....everyone always says hi the issue is that the dr or the nurses never seem to remember your story...even if they were to take 2 min before they see you to review your chart, it would be helpful, this doesn't ever seem to be the case
each stim cycle was around 15,000 an additional 4,000 for pgs testing and then an additional 350/embryo at the lab...also 500 for anesthesia for retrieval stim meds were not included in the 15,000
he's preference is to transfer 1 embryo if they are pgs tested
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
disorganization I explained details earlier
Smithtown

Dr. San Roman is very warm and goes to great lengths to make you feel comfortable. However, sometimes his well-meaning jokes miss the mark—for example joking that you are ruining his statistics. ... I feel that he is too willing to try the same treatment without really changing the protocol after failed procedures. I felt I had to advocate a lot for myself for him to change our protocol when we got less that optimal results from my first egg retrieval and failed frozen transfer.
Because there is only one doctor working out of the office [Northwell Health], the wait times can be pretty long. I always gave myself at least an hour to spend at the office. The facility and equipment were always clean and sanitary. The procedures are done at the manhasset facility, which can be inconvenient for someone living in Eastern Suffolk.
Dr. San Roman is very warm and took the time to explain procedures to us. He is very busy as the only doctor operating out of the office so more often than not, we met with the nurse practitioner and not the doctor. I feel that he is too willing to try the same treatment without really changing the protocol after failed procedures. I felt I had to advocate a lot for myself for him to change our protocol when we got less that optimal results from my first egg retrieval and failed frozen transfer.
Advocate for yourself—do your own research and press him to consider other protocols when the basic protocol does not work for you.
The nursing staff is very good. They showed compassion at all stages of treatment.
Because there is only one doctor working out of the office, the wait times can be pretty long. I always gave myself at least an hour to spend at the office. The facility and equipment were always clean and sanitary. The procedures are done at the manhasset facility, which can be inconvenient for someone living in Eastern Suffolk.
It was an efficient-well oiled machine— you got an appointment time which staggered patients, but the wait times could still get quite long
Dr. San Roman was unwilling to transfer multiple embryos because we did PGS testing.
Smithtown
I felt like he [Dr. Gabe San Roman] was really knowledgeable, deals with my specific case, is sensitive and informative, and has good bedside manor. He is trustworthy and listens to what I’m saying and remembers who I am which is really important for me in such a difficult process.... During my appointments with Dr San Roman I asked a lot of questions and he always took the time to thoroughly answer them. I also really like getting to always see the same dr and not a rotation of different drs all the time at the clinic.
I have definitely felt like a human and not a number [at North Shore-Smithtown]. Paying out of pocket the office staff always tried to do everything they could to help me. ... I feel like they take the time out to get to know me and make me feel like they care about my fertility and not just my money like some other fertility clinics have made me feel!.. Clomid 100mg 1 round- bad reaction to clomid. Switched to Femera with Ovidrel trigger.
I felt like he was really knowledgeable, deals with my specific case, is sensitive and informative, and has good bedside manor. He is trustworthy and listens to what I’m saying and remembers who I am which is really important for me in such a difficult process.
Make sure you book your consultation 3 months in advance because there is a waitlist lol!
I have definitely felt like a human and not a number. Paying out of pocket the office staff always tried to do everything they could to help me. During my appointments with Dr San Roman I asked a lot of questions and he always took the time to thoroughly answer them. I also really like getting to always see the same dr and not a rotation of different drs all the time at the clinic. I feel like they take the time out to get to know me and make me feel like they care about my fertility and not just my money like some other fertility clinics have made me feel!
Amazing! So nice!
Gabe San Roman
Dr. San Roman is an amazing doctor and person. I and my partner felt at ease and well informed with him. He takes the time to get to know his patients. He was referred to me by a friend who had much success and had a baby girl with his help. I would would recommend him wholeheartedly to couples trying to conceive.... He was very meticulous with how and when to take the medication and well as the the rest of the process.
Everyone [North Shore] was super sweet and compassionate.... It wasn’t as expensive as I expected it to be, especially since we paid out of pocket.... I don’t have anything negative to say about the clinic except for the fact that it is a bit far for us. We are in Brooklyn so traveling to Long Island can be taxing and can be a bit of an inconvenience.... Dr. San Roman is an amazing doctor and person. I and my partner felt at ease and well informed with him.
Do not give up and stay positive!
He was patient, kind and everyone was amazing at the office.
Everyone was super sweet and compassionate.

2014 - 2016, Unknown Success
Dr. San Roman never makes you feel like just a statistic, he is always patient, kind and listens to your concerns. He tells you exactly what the course of treatment will be and what the chances are of success...
CLEANLINESS. This [North Shore Long Island Jewish - Smithtown] office is clean ALL THE TIME. The staff is compassionate and friendly and the appointment times are always in line with what fits your schedule...
CLEANLINESS. This office is clean ALL THE TIME. The staff is compassionate and friendly and the appointment times are always in line with what fits your schedule.